PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Proposal/Approval/Construction Thread - III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

TowerDistrict
Aug 28, 2008, 6:00 PM
Got a sneak peek at the design Michael Heller has planned for 20th & Capitol:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/Jetrock/tribute.jpg
4 stories, 55 feet tall, 47,000 square feet total: about 32100 sf office and 6000 sf retail.

that's a head scratcher.

isn't this being proposed in an historic preservation district?

Cynikal
Aug 28, 2008, 6:16 PM
I'm not sure if it is in the Cap Ave District but the recent Vrilakas project next to Dragonfly was in the district and is very modern.

wburg
Aug 28, 2008, 6:20 PM
That corner isn't in a preservation district.

TowerDistrict
Aug 28, 2008, 6:23 PM
Yeah, i guess you're right. But there's a big difference between Vrilakas' work and this... ummm... thing?

It looks just like a lot of Midtown buildings that I presume went up around the 60's. So it's not bizarre, just bland. Is there any thought about the ground floor? From that example, it looks like it's missing altogether.

ltsmotorsport
Aug 28, 2008, 8:54 PM
'60's looking design. :yuck:

4 stories? :koko: Come back with 6.:whip:

Fusey
Aug 28, 2008, 9:07 PM
Anything less than 90 stories is unacceptable. - Majin

TowerDistrict
Aug 28, 2008, 9:47 PM
...of course if it ends up looking like Bejing's Water Cube then I might be more intrigued. ;)

innov8
Aug 28, 2008, 11:22 PM
Curtis Park Village Clean-Up

The good news is that contaminated dirt continues to be hauled off to Utah
preparing the land for construction. The bad news is that the project won't
be breaking ground by the end of the year as originally planned. The second
part really isn't much of a surprise, but hopefully the clean up will continue
and be completed.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5724/1curtisparkvillage20080tk0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/4716/2curtisparkvillage20080oo3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/820/3curtisparkvillage20080cj4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

innov8
Aug 28, 2008, 11:27 PM
Greyhound Bus Terminal

On August 1st a revised Draft Mitigated Negative Declaration for the new
Greyhound Bus Terminal off Richards Blvd. was submitted for review. This is
great since it has been nearly 19 years of bla, bla, bla, and nothing getting
done. The proposed Greyhound Bus Terminal site would be located at
420 Richards Boulevard east of I-5 and 1.2 miles north or the current
bus terminal site.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9923/greyhounder9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The Richards Boulevard Redevelopment Area, recently renamed the
River District Redevelopment Area, was approved by City Council as a
Redevelopment Plan area in 1990. Ultimately, the facility will be located
permanently in the Sacramento Intermodal Transportation Facility.
The Intermodal remains the City’s preferred long-term location for Greyhound;
however, the facility will not be developed for a number of years due to the
need to secure substantial federal funding.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4479/greyhound2rn5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The proposed project consists of a 13,100 square foot building on
approximately 1.74 acres.

JeffZurn
Aug 29, 2008, 8:46 PM
This is great news, lets hope they can move the dump quicker then we all expect!

econgrad
Aug 29, 2008, 8:52 PM
^ 2 Questions: Wouldn't moving the bus terminal from Downtown to Richards Blvd make downtown more "Car Friendly"? Isn't it more convenient for DT residents to have a terminal in Downtown?

tronblue
Aug 29, 2008, 9:15 PM
Well its only a problem if you're trying to buy crack.

wburg
Aug 29, 2008, 9:21 PM
Moving the bus terminal to Richards wouldn't necessarily make downtown more car-friendly, but it would make the bus terminal less accessible to people who don't have cars, regardless of where they lived. In terms of its service to downtown and the central city, the main difference is still the transit connection. It's only a mile or so away, so if one is driving to or from the station the distances aren't that dramatic. But if you're on transit, Richards is far less convenient: instead of two light rail lines and a multitude of high-frequency bus lines within 1-2 blocks, there are two hourly bus lines that don't run into the evening and no light rail lines.

There is a pedestrian path from the new terminal area to downtown, but it's a one-mile walk through a rough industrial area with several homeless shelters and not-so-good lighting, with minimal shade or shelter and no services.

If there was a plan to provide enhanced transit accessibility this might at least be a suitable stop-gap, but so far I haven't heard any plans for this to happen.

ozone
Aug 30, 2008, 12:22 AM
Yes the vast majority of bus riders are probably decent people and yes Greyhound themselves are really to blame for the troubles but I'm fine with moving the bus station out to the boondocks.

econgrad
Aug 30, 2008, 6:04 AM
Yes the vast majority of bus riders are probably decent people and yes Greyhound themselves are really to blame for the troubles but I'm fine with moving the bus station out to the boondocks.

That's too bad, it just seems the city should be more connected to all transit. I understand the problems, but it will soon be more inconvenient like Wburg says. (I think that's what you meant Wburg, forgive me if I am wrong). In my opinion, there should have been a better way. Stay off the crack Tronblue...you might end up voting for Obama. (Just a joke guys! don't get all upset...)

BrianSac
Aug 30, 2008, 12:54 PM
As much as I want the bus terminal away from that block, it seems assinine (is that a word) to move it away from all those transit connections that it now has such as light rail and city buses. I think more than half the people who take greyhound also rely on public transit as well. Now they have to hitch hike, or bum a ride from someone to make there way to the greyhound terminal. On the other hand, do all those greyhound users contribute much to the economic well being of downtown, mostly likely not.

SactownTom
Aug 30, 2008, 3:18 PM
I imagine setting up some kind of shuttle service from Richards Blvd. to downtown wouldn't be all that difficult.

otnemarcaS
Aug 30, 2008, 5:54 PM
Or maybe just re-route one or two of the existing RT bus lines thru the richards blvd Greyhound site.

TowerDistrict
Aug 30, 2008, 6:11 PM
I imagine setting up some kind of shuttle service from Richards Blvd. to downtown wouldn't be all that difficult.

There will be a free shuttle from City Hall the Richards station. So if you're riding light rail or taking the bus, you'll still be well connected. I'm kinda ambivalent about the temp location. It really doesn't have a tremendous impact - as we're still years away from the intermodal and a high-rise office/hotel/condo tower seems out of the question for a while. And although it seems like riders of the Greyhound are getting the shaft, the good folks will be more protected on-site and they'll still be about the same distance from the train station, if that's where they're heading.

tronblue
Aug 30, 2008, 6:29 PM
Stay off the crack Tronblue...you might end up voting for Obama. (Just a joke guys! don't get all upset...)

Oops I already did vote for him. But I do like that Alaskan lady's accent so now I'm debating. Wow the GOP is so effective.

I don't score my crack at the greyhound like other nomadic Sacramento citizenry, I get it at Safeway. Its buy two twelve packs of soda and get three free weekend everyone!!!!:banana: :cheers: :slob:

Ps I'm in no way saying that people that use greyhound all use crack, but I am saying that all people that hang out around it do. Just clearing that up if there was some miscommunication.

econgrad
Aug 31, 2008, 8:09 PM
Ps I'm in no way saying that people that use greyhound all use crack, but I am saying that all people that hang out around it do. Just clearing that up if there was some miscommunication.

:haha: (If this wasn't meant to be a joke my bad, I thought it was funny)

tronblue
Sep 1, 2008, 1:21 AM
it was so feel free to think it was funny.

urban_encounter
Sep 1, 2008, 9:41 PM
If there was a plan to provide enhanced transit accessibility this might at least be a suitable stop-gap, but so far I haven't heard any plans for this to happen.

The city council directed staff if I'm not mistaken to work with RT to do just that. It's doubtful that they would move forward without better connections to the interim facility.

JVissle
Sep 4, 2008, 10:21 PM

wburg
Sep 5, 2008, 7:11 PM
Noticed this in today's Bee:

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1212084.html

No proposals qualify for Sacramento's $25 million redevelopment offer
By Mary Lynne Vellinga - mlvellinga@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PDT Friday, September 5, 2008
Story appeared in OUR REGION section, Page B2

In 2002, the last time Sacramento dangled millions of dollars to help build housing in the central city, plenty of developers lined up.

But a city offer this year of $25 million for housing construction along J, K and L streets attracted just three proposals by the Aug. 1 deadline – none of which qualified, according to the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency.

The housing agency has since pulled the money off the table.

"What we told the developers was that each of their proposals was unable to pass one or more of our tests," said Jim Hare, assistant director of SHRA.

He sees the lack of qualified proposals as a sign of the troubled times. Construction costs have gone up, and lenders burned by bad real estate loans are demanding higher interest rates.

The city redevelopment money can be used only to subsidize construction of affordable housing units, even if they are part of a larger, market-rate condominium or apartment development.

Such units are expensive to build, however. Some of the proposals didn't contain enough affordable units to qualify for the money, or asked for too great a subsidy.

Hare said the city may have to come up with some other sources of funding to get more housing built in downtown's J, K and L street corridor.

"I don't think it can be done with just affordable housing dollars," Hare said.

Assistant City Manager John Dangberg said the city hopes to put the money back up for bidding soon, perhaps by clarifying some of the rules governing submittals.

"We're going to get the money out on the street," he said.

The three proposals submitted for the city money included one by St. Anton Partners for a 10-story tower at 11th and J streets; one by USA Properties for two buildings at 16th and J streets and 17th and I streets; and one by Domus Development for a 29-story combination hotel and housing tower on property owned by Moe Mohanna at Eighth and K streets. None of the developers could be reached for comment Thursday.

econgrad
Sep 5, 2008, 7:21 PM
$25 Million more of our tax money to build affordable housing? More subsidies to burden us, glad its not to profitable for developers.

sugit
Sep 5, 2008, 8:32 PM
The three proposals submitted for the city money included one by St. Anton Partners for a 10-story tower at 11th and J streets; one by USA Properties for two buildings at 16th and J streets and 17th and I streets

I guess that means Cathedral Square is looking to downsize the project scope....

Funny the article mentions the 16th and J spot. I was at Mikuni's last night and one of the waiters we were talking with mentioned how there has been talk of someone buying the parking lot across the street and developing it.

Stephemento
Sep 7, 2008, 7:59 PM
I was wondering if anybody knew about the progress at the UC Davis Medical Center. They're building an entirely new addition to the main Hospital, and also they're going to demolish the North/South Wing that's facing Stockton Blvd.

ltsmotorsport
Sep 8, 2008, 1:30 AM
I guess that means Cathedral Square is looking to downsize the project scope....

That would suck it that's the case. I was really hoping since it was smaller that not much would change with it.

wburg
Sep 9, 2008, 6:15 AM
Hm. I sort of had the impression that sales were more brisk.

http://www.sacbee.com/103/story/1220225.html

L Street Lofts locked in financial dispute
By Bob Shallit - bshallit@sacbee.com

Last Updated 5:37 pm PDT Monday, September 8, 2008

A financial dispute involving one of Sacramento's signature condo complexes apparently is turning nasty.

As we hear it, officials with project investor Resmark Equity Partners LLC of Los Angeles entered the L Street Lofts building early Friday morning with the intention of changing locks and taking over the property.

Representatives of developer Sotiris Kolokotronis then arrived at 1818 L and tensions escalated, resulting in police being summoned.

"We got called out after it became a little physical," says Sacramento police spokeswoman Michelle Lazark. She says police "mediated" and tempers cooled.

Where things stand now is unclear. Two security guards - each representing an opposing side in the dispute - were stationed outside the building Monday, according to an executive with Paladin Private Security.

The sales team is still in place, in offices across from the glitzy eight-story condo complex, which has become symbolic of midtown's residential and retail renaissance. The lofts start at $389,000 and top $1 million for penthouse units. Among those who've purchased those top-floor condos are mayoral candidate Kevin Johnson and Sacramento Kings star Kevin Martin.

Behind the financial dispute, apparently, is Resmark's concern that fewer than half of the project's 92 units have been sold since the building opened last year.

Reached in Los Angeles, Resmark president Robert Goodman said his company does not respond to media calls. Kolokotronis also declined to comment.

econgrad
Sep 9, 2008, 6:28 AM
^ They have been asking too much for these condos since the beginning. No, its not because of the economy, there is just not much demand for expensive downtown living in Sacramento. As much as many of us would like it to be in demand. As I said many many months ago to Wburg and others, I can get into DT Sacramento in 10 to 20 minutes (give or take traffic), park easily and walk everywhere, play a show, do whatever and then go home. You can pay the same price as these condos, but instead have a full house with a swimming pool. San Francisco works, because it is more difficult to enter the city and park, its sort of cut off where Sacramento is not. There is not enough people that will spend top dollar on DT living because it's "Cool".

Phillip
Sep 9, 2008, 7:54 AM
There is not enough people that will spend top dollar on DT living because it's "Cool".

From what I hear/read the "top dollar" units are the ones that are selling best...the penthouse units at 18th and L...the corner penthouse units above the Residence Inn at 16th and L...the most expensive units with best views costing 500G and up.

The problem is that there aren't enough buyers for the lower floor units that AREN'T "top dollar", which are the bulk of units.

I think it was the same at Saca Towers, RIP. Deposits for the very most expensive high floor units but many unsold on the lower floors. Also at 500N. The most expensive top floor sold first.

Slow economy or not I'm surprised that 18th and L hasn't sold out. You can't beat the location and 92 units aren't a lot. Does anyone know, have any of the recently built condo projects in Downtown/Midtown sold out?

wburg
Sep 9, 2008, 4:35 PM
I don't agree with econgrad entirely, but there is definitely a price point for downtown Sacramento living, and many of the new condo units are in trouble because they tried to sell units higher than that price point. The units that are selling are the ones that were willing to drop their prices to what the market will bear. This has less to do with the excitement level of downtown Sacramento than with the excitement level in the mortgage/loan market these days. If money was still easy to borrow and the bubble was still inflating, those 17th & L units would have sold. But it's not, so they didn't.

I don't think econgrad quite fathoms that not everyone wants a big yard or a swimming pool. Plenty of people do want the pretty old houses in midtown, and they still cost a darn sight less than most of the condo units. They cost more than suburban tract homes of similar size because there just aren't that many total (only about 15% of the central city's housing is single-family homes.) Simple supply and demand.

econgrad
Sep 9, 2008, 7:07 PM
I don't think econgrad quite fathoms that not everyone wants a big yard or a swimming pool. Plenty of people do want the pretty old houses in midtown, and they still cost a darn sight less than most of the condo units. They cost more than suburban tract homes of similar size because there just aren't that many total (only about 15% of the central city's housing is single-family homes.) Simple supply and demand.

Please Wburg, I understand its not everyone :rolleyes: . I am saying there is just not enough at this time. There is still plenty of room to develop, plenty of areas near DT to develop such as West Sac and Natomas where people can buy and be close. Someday, the demand will be there for DT mid-rise or high-rise living, maybe.

SacUrbnPlnr
Sep 10, 2008, 12:02 AM
The price point is one of three major factors that have lead to slow sales for most of the central city housing projects. The others are a tightening credit market (we'll how the federal takeover of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac changes that dynamic) and the fact the most of the new homes in the central city are not priced for first-time homebuyers. People looking to buy into the L Street Lofts, Capitol Park Lofts, Tapestry Sqaure, 9 on F, etc. must first sell their current homes to buy into one of these new projects. This is very challenging in today's market.

On the bright side, there appears to be a very high interest in central city living in Sacramento. I can see that just from the volume of interested folks who visit the L Street Lofts where I live. Perhaps in a few years after we put the current economic doldrums behind use, we will see a flowering of new demand and construction of housing the central city.

sugit
Sep 10, 2008, 3:37 AM
More renderings of the B Street Theatre....this looks pretty sick.

http://www.amaa.com/portfolio/project/?category=community&project=193&redir=L3BvcnRmb2xpby8/IzIw&PHPSESSID=1ab0aef4eef0ad212fad7fff1cb01530

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9969/10201386yt6.png

http://www.amaa.com/_uploads/photo/project/193_lg1_Bstreet_01.jpg

http://www.amaa.com/_uploads/photo/project/193_lg2_Bstreet_02.jpg

http://www.amaa.com/_uploads/photo/project/193_lg3_Bstreet_03.jpg

http://www.amaa.com/_uploads/photo/project/193_lg4_Bstreet_04.jpg

BrianSac
Sep 10, 2008, 6:27 AM
Very Cool :previous:

kryptos
Sep 10, 2008, 9:07 PM
i like the look of that

arod74
Sep 11, 2008, 8:07 PM
Wow, the finished Bst theater is going to be a HUGE leap from what the current digs are like (basically a small temporary warehouse with chairs).

As for the Lst lofts, I too thought they were much further along in selling out the building. If a project as strong as this, as far as location and quality, is struggling to generate buyers then what are the chances for a more substantial residential project like the Towers/Aura in the current climate. Anyone have an idea how far along the Jst Lofts are in sales as they appear to be having even a tougher time from the look of dark, empty units I see when in the area?

wburg
Sep 11, 2008, 8:20 PM
arod74: If you mean the property at 8th/9th and J Street, those are rentals, not for-sale units.

Majin
Sep 11, 2008, 8:53 PM
If you are talking about 800J they are not having a tough time renting out at all, the building is always full or near full.

arod74
Sep 11, 2008, 10:05 PM
Wasn't 800J originally slated for sale of units or were they always rentals?

sugit
Sep 11, 2008, 10:16 PM
Always rentals....

TWAK
Sep 12, 2008, 1:29 AM
how much is rent? middle class or above?
i want to try this urbanism thing

Phillip
Sep 12, 2008, 2:00 AM
i want to try this urbanism thing

What a coincidence, TWAK. Just a couple hours ago I saw an ad on Craigslist from someone trying to sublet their 800J loft for five weeks, fully furnished, starting Monday.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/sub/834739457.html

how much is rent? middle class or above?

Above.

Phillip
Sep 12, 2008, 2:18 AM
Also I was wrong a couple days ago when I wrote that the top, most expensive floor of 500N sold out first. I just searched condos in 95814 on realtor.com and there are three units listed on the 15th floor, which I'm pretty sure is the highest floor. Or maybe these sold once and now they're resales.

#1501 3br $750,000
#1502 3br $795,000
#1505 2br $689,000

The least expensive condo listed in 95814 is a 1br at 1614 11th Street for $159G.

sugit
Sep 12, 2008, 4:17 PM
State Street Bank scales up (two floors) to double space
Boston-based bank takes over downtown offices vacated by U.S. Bank
Sacramento Business Journal - by Mark Anderson Staff writer

State Street Bank, which has more than doubled its local work force in the past year, has agreed to take two more floors vacated by U.S. Bank in the 980 9th St. building.

The lease is among the largest for a private-sector employer in downtown Sacramento.

The new lease expands State Street’s space in the building, from 40,000 square feet to 100,000 square feet, and fills most of five floors. That gives more work space for its 500 employees — up from 230 just a year ago.

It’s not known if media-shy State Street, which would not comment, has plans for continued growth in Sacramento.

Boston-based State Street has been growing locally since last year when it came to town after buying its biggest competitor, Investors Financial Services Corp. State Street is a subsidiary of State Street Corp. (NYSE: STT), which had $15.3 trillion in assets under custody and $1.9 trillion in assets under management as of June 30.

The Sacramento office is part of State Street’s accounting and clearing operations. As a custodian of institutional investments, the company tracks and records client accounts and makes sure all trades and changes are reconciled. Sacramento is one of the offices where that accounting happens.

State Street also has a trading floor and trade professionals here, which is one reason why the office is in Class A downtown space.

“The employees they are trying to attract can get a job in New York City. You are competing with that kind of professional environment,” said Chris Strain, executive director of the Central Valley operations for the real estate leasing company Cushman & Wakefield of California Inc. Strain didn’t work either side of this deal, but he represented Barclays Global Investors Inc. when it ran the same type of shop in that building in the 1990s, before Barclays’ transaction management operation was bought by Investors Financial.

“State Street is the biggest private-­sector lease in downtown Sacramento,” said Strain, who follows the downtown office market. “It’s a great deal for State Street, and it’s a great deal for that building.”

Sacramento has larger office users downtown, but they tend to be government offices or professional services companies such as law offices or accounting firms.

The building at 980 9th St. had been known until this year as the U.S. Bank Plaza, but its namesake moved to the newly constructed U.S. Bank Tower at 621 Capitol Mall.

The new State Street lease means 980 9th St. is faring better than downtown offices as a whole. The building has a vacancy rate of about 7 percent, said Rick Henry, broker with CB Richard Ellis, who represents the landlord.

The downtown Sacramento Class A office vacancy rate is about 12 percent to 14 percent, which indicates a soft market, Strain said.

“And it is going to get softer because there is new office space on the market now and more is coming in a new Capitol Mall office tower,” he said, referring to the Bank of the West Tower.

With the new U.S. Bank Tower, which opened earlier this year, and the new offices on the way next year, law firms, banks and accounting firms are moving around, usually to bigger offices.

“We’re seeing musical chairs in the offices downtown. A lot of these companies are trading up their offices,” Strain said. “That will make room for some companies from the suburbs to make the move downtown.”

State Street does business in 26 countries and more than 100 geographic markets. The Sacramento center was coveted because it is considered to be safer from earthquakes than the Bay Area, where State Street also has operations, and because the site is in downtown and has access to the robust and redundant telecommunications and electrical grid around the state Capitol.

State Street also handles trades for the California State Teachers’ Retirement System and the California Public Employees’ Retirement System, but those client accounts are serviced from an older State Street office in Alameda.
State Street Corp.

TWAK
Sep 12, 2008, 9:30 PM
What a coincidence, TWAK. Just a couple hours ago I saw an ad on Craigslist from someone trying to sublet their 800J loft for five weeks, fully furnished, starting Monday.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/sub/834739457.html
Above.
my range is 350-400 a month, i could never afford 300 a week

wburg
Sep 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
$350-400 a month? You might try the SRO hotels, some of them are that cheap...

Fusey
Sep 12, 2008, 10:29 PM
^ If you don't mind living with cockroaches and living around crack addicts.

Majin
Sep 12, 2008, 10:29 PM
my range is 350-400 a month, i could never afford 300 a week

I'm sorry.

TowerDistrict
Sep 12, 2008, 11:04 PM
just keep an eye out here (http://sacramento.craigslist.org/search/roo?query=midtown&minAsk=300&maxAsk=400).

NikeFutbolero
Sep 14, 2008, 10:16 AM
Funny you guys talk about 800j. I was just there yesterday since they offer low income units. For a two people that make under 27k/year it's around 740 a month for a two bed two bath. We ended up not liking it because it felt too much like a hotel, plus one of the rooms has NO privacy and not to mention we could hear EVERYTHING goin on at street level including the construction workers and their damn bobcats.

wburg
Sep 14, 2008, 6:09 PM
One tidbit from today's Shallit column: Kevin Johnson doesn't own the penthouse unit where he lives--he's leasing it with an option to buy.

Majin
Sep 15, 2008, 5:06 PM
Funny you guys talk about 800j. I was just there yesterday since they offer low income units. For a two people that make under 27k/year it's around 740 a month for a two bed two bath. We ended up not liking it because it felt too much like a hotel, plus one of the rooms has NO privacy and not to mention we could hear EVERYTHING goin on at street level including the construction workers and their damn bobcats.

WTF? Too much like a hotel? No privacy? Can hear everything on the street?

The only part of that thats even remotely true is the hotel thing, and thats even debatable. I've been living here for over a year and I have all the privacy I want and I can't hear anything from the street unless my windows are open. The soundproofing in this building is very good.

Stay out of downtown and enjoy elk grove. I can assure you that no apartment in elk grove resembles a hotel.

Phillip
Sep 15, 2008, 7:09 PM
Is it possible, Majin, that you have a unit that's quiet and private and that some other units at 800J are less so? When I toured 800J I saw big differences between the different units I looked at. One unit had a view of Cesar Chavez Park and the wonderful Elks Building. Another unit looked out on a blank glass wall, like something you'd see in a Roseville office park. I'm guessing the units reserved for low income, at less than 50% of market rate, aren't the most desireable units in the building.

Majin
Sep 15, 2008, 7:38 PM
^^ You get what you pay for, man up and pay the real price if you want a good unit.

Yogi916
Sep 16, 2008, 4:20 AM
There are sound issues at 800J. My gf lived there for a yr. You could hear neighbors phones ringing, neighbors talking even at conversation level, even just walking around. A couple of our friends lived there as well. They had the same issues. And these were different floor plans on different floors.

Okay project overall I thought (but not great). Good for downtown and need more of it. Especially with their pricing lowered somewehat from what it was initially. There are a lot of units on each floor which definitely makes it feel more like a hotel with long corridors. The gym could be bigger and better. The lounge room that you could reserve for birthdays and such is cool. Although I heard they charge for that now (?).

Its good that the ground floor is finally leased out although haven't been to Fuzio or Table 260 yet. The interior of the units are ok but not great I thought. Decent cabinetry, bamboo floors, and appliances. Not very unique counters, fixtures, etc. Good exposed concrete ceilings with good height.

One bad thing was that the 1 bed flr pln had a bath far away from the sleeping area meaning you would have to walk all the way across the flr pln to get from one to the other. Direct access rather than a small shallow closet in the bed area would have made the unit more practical.

More housing, restaurants, and entertainment around that area the better. Just not so expensive rents on the market rates units.
Great affordable housing option if you can get in though.

Thats my take for what it is worth.

BrianSac
Sep 16, 2008, 6:43 AM
State Street Bank scales up (two floors) to double space

The lease is among the largest for a private-sector employer in downtown Sacramento.

The new lease expands State Street’s space in the building, from 40,000 square feet to 100,000 square feet, and fills most of five floors. That gives more work space for its 500 employees — up from 230 just a year ago.

It’s not known if media-shy State Street, which would not comment, has plans for continued growth in Sacramento.

Good news, I had no idea they employ 500 people here in SacTown.

Majin
Sep 16, 2008, 6:51 AM
There are sound issues at 800J. My gf lived there for a yr. You could hear neighbors phones ringing, neighbors talking even at conversation level, even just walking around. A couple of our friends lived there as well. They had the same issues. And these were different floor plans on different floors.

Okay project overall I thought (but not great). Good for downtown and need more of it. Especially with their pricing lowered somewehat from what it was initially. There are a lot of units on each floor which definitely makes it feel more like a hotel with long corridors. The gym could be bigger and better. The lounge room that you could reserve for birthdays and such is cool. Although I heard they charge for that now (?).

Its good that the ground floor is finally leased out although haven't been to Fuzio or Table 260 yet. The interior of the units are ok but not great I thought. Decent cabinetry, bamboo floors, and appliances. Not very unique counters, fixtures, etc. Good exposed concrete ceilings with good height.

One bad thing was that the 1 bed flr pln had a bath far away from the sleeping area meaning you would have to walk all the way across the flr pln to get from one to the other. Direct access rather than a small shallow closet in the bed area would have made the unit more practical.

More housing, restaurants, and entertainment around that area the better. Just not so expensive rents on the market rates units.
Great affordable housing option if you can get in though.

Thats my take for what it is worth.

Hey bro I don't know what to tell you but I have neighbors on both sides of me and either they are very quiet or the sound proofing is good. Given that I blast my TV/computer all night I'm going to go with good sound proofing.

The gym is small but if I needed a legit gym I'd just walk across the street to 24 hour.

I have no complaints about the layout but I live and a studio so I don't expect much.

The rest just sounds like bitching to me.

Yogi916
Sep 17, 2008, 6:16 AM
not bitching at all...if you live there and like it then all the more power to you

i was just sharing all the both pros and cons of my experience with the project on an almost daily basis for a yr...and what similar experiences and comments of friends were that lived there

the noise issues that we and others experienced were not with neighbors to the sides but neighbors above and below...and not just them walking around.

the issue was brought up by about a dozen residents to both the CIM Group and their General Contractor Turner. Reply was that some concrete floors and walls may not have have been sealed or finished properly. Not sure if ever solved or improved b/c most of those residents had expiring Leases and soon moved out for whatever reasons.

But yeah the project does have some definite pros like those I mentioned.

TWAK
Sep 17, 2008, 10:30 PM
24 hour.
the Applebee's of gyms.
suburbanist. Go drive your SUV back to Roseville!

Majin
Sep 17, 2008, 11:13 PM
the Applebee's of gyms.
suburbanist. Go drive your SUV back to Roseville!

I was actually speaking from a general perspective, I don't actually use 24. If you really want to know I actually work out in a friends garage.

Phillip
Sep 17, 2008, 11:29 PM
If you really want to know I actually work out in a friends garage.

Watch out, Majin. Your South Sac roots are showing. :whip:

Majin
Sep 18, 2008, 12:01 AM
I don't try to hide it, I claim south sac.

NikeFutbolero
Sep 18, 2008, 9:39 AM
WTF? Too much like a hotel? No privacy? Can hear everything on the street?

The only part of that thats even remotely true is the hotel thing, and thats even debatable. I've been living here for over a year and I have all the privacy I want and I can't hear anything from the street unless my windows are open. The soundproofing in this building is very good.

Stay out of downtown and enjoy elk grove. I can assure you that no apartment in elk grove resembles a hotel.

Why do you get so upset? Did I offend you? What I said, was my OPINION. I don't like living in a place where I fee like a cooped up chicken. When I step out my front door I want to be able to smell fresh air, not the scent of a glade plug-in. You shouldn't get so upset over other people's opinions. Just because I don't think like you, or like what you like, doesn't mean you have the right to be a prick.

Also..
^^ You get what you pay for, man up and pay the real price if you want a good unit.

What does "manning-up" and income have anything to do with income? I guess I'm just not a man like you. I'm a full time 21 year old college student. My father just passed away, and my mother got laid off from work a few weeks ago. I now have to fully support my mother, so I'm working full time and going to school full time. I can't afford one at the "real price". Maybe you're the one that needs to man up because by the way you speak you sound real immature. Grow up.

urban_encounter
Sep 19, 2008, 2:10 AM
Why do you get so upset? Did I offend you? What I said, was my OPINION. I don't like living in a place where I fee like a cooped up chicken. When I step out my front door I want to be able to smell fresh air, not the scent of a glade plug-in. You shouldn't get so upset over other people's opinions. Just because I don't think like you, or like what you like, doesn't mean you have the right to be a prick.

Also..

What does "manning-up" and income have anything to do with income? I guess I'm just not a man like you. I'm a full time 21 year old college student. My father just passed away, and my mother got laid off from work a few weeks ago. I now have to fully support my mother, so I'm working full time and going to school full time. I can't afford one at the "real price". Maybe you're the one that needs to man up because by the way you speak you sound real immature. Grow up.

He's not upset Nike. Majin is exremely passionate about the grid; one might argue a tad obsessed. :uhh:

The rest of the time, he simply tries to get a response out of anyone willing to take the bait. But stick around long enough and you'll see that he's well intentioned and somewhat entertaining.

econgrad
Sep 19, 2008, 2:21 AM
^ Elect him King of the Gridders then...

BrianSac
Sep 19, 2008, 6:21 AM

I agree with you Nike. I didnt like anything about that building when I inquired awhile back to rent a unit, except for the units with a balcony, those were kinda cool.

I'd rather live in that 80's apt highrise on 500 N Street that is being converted into condos. Nice long wide balconies that are the length of the entire unit. These balconies are much more useful and nicer than the ones in 800 J.

NikeFutbolero
Sep 19, 2008, 7:42 AM
I agree with you Nike. I didnt like anything about that building when I inquired awhile back to rent a unit, except for the units with a balcony, those were kinda cool.

I'd rather live in that 80's apt highrise on 500 N Street that is being converted into condos. Nice long wide balconies that are the length of the entire unit. These balconies are much more useful and nicer than the ones in 800 J.

I knew I wasn't the only one who felt that way..

*waits for majin and his smug attitude to come say something*
http://www.hybridcars.com/files/imagecache/article_lead_image/files/graphics/south-park-smug-313.gif

TowerDistrict
Sep 19, 2008, 6:00 PM
Just my 2 cents in, but I liked 800J quite a bit. I'd live there in a heart beat. And for what it's worth, I have never lived in an apartment anywhere that you couldn't hear the people above and below.

snfenoc
Sep 23, 2008, 7:25 AM
It's kinda sad. There's not much, but here goes:

Trammell Crow continues to move forward (I was by the site this evening, and it has changed quite a bit since Saturday):

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0003.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0004.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0005.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0006.jpg

When????????

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0011.jpg

The artsy office building near Sutter:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0016.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0020.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0025.jpg

This is what happens when No Parking signs jump in the view of you camera and it loses focus:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0022.jpg

The Sutter Foundation building:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0023.jpg

That "bump out" on the Citizen Hotel is coming along (that's right, I'm covering bump outs):

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0033.jpg

From my favorite perch at the Sheraton, I notice the facade at 500 Crap is doing nicely:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0030.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0029.jpg

More of 500 Crap:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0049.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0050.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0051.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0053.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0055.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0056.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0058.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0059.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0063.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0065.jpg

The main facade of CalSTRS is basically done:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0066.jpg

The Orleans "Hotel" I guess is complete:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0072.jpg

That little high-density neighborhood on 34th street (Yes, I am reduced to this crap):

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0073.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0074.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0075.jpg

(Excuse the poor quality pics - there was security and fences, and I did not want to push it.)

Actually, this project is not crap, but is does seem kinda, "meh".

Is that another bump out being built in Sac????

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0046.jpg

It is! Yay! A bump out! That's much better than Aura, the Towers, etc. Really, I'm reduced to bump outs and single family housing.
Anyway, I'm assuming this is gonna be part of the Morton's at 621 Crap???

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0047.jpg

A little 621 Crap love:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0044.jpg

Followed by some 621 Crap hate. If you look up "Sterile" in the dictionary.....

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0048.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Two buildings I hate!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0039.jpg

Now That Ron Paul is Out, Vote Bob Barr! (Could not find a bumper sticker this time - I was surrounded by socialism (AKA Obama crap;) ))

arod74
Sep 23, 2008, 8:54 PM
Sweet shots snfenoc. Yes, not having pictures of the Towers and Aura looming into the sky is a kick in the junk but considering the credit/financing crunch I am happy to see anything moving forward at this point.

joeypav10
Sep 24, 2008, 12:03 AM
Sorry everyone but I'm new here... What is a bump?

urban_encounter
Sep 24, 2008, 12:57 AM
not having pictures of the Towers and Aura looming into the sky is a kick in the junk but considering the credit/financing crunch I am happy to see anything moving forward at this point.

I agree 100%

BrianSac
Sep 24, 2008, 1:01 AM
Sorry everyone but I'm new here... What is a bump?

They are referring to how the Citizen Hotel "bumps"out onto the sidewalk, taking up space on the sidewalk. Its not regulation. They need some type of special allowance to do that.

The US Bank Building is doing the same thing.

Welcome to the boards. :)

innov8
Sep 24, 2008, 3:51 AM
It's kinda sad.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Two buildings I hate!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%209-20-08/DSC_0039.jpg

Thanks Steve, the Trammell Crow is really moving along now that their out of
the ground. Also, why all the hostilities toward the Renaissance tower? It's a
classic :) I understand about 800J :(

TowerDistrict
Sep 24, 2008, 4:10 AM
Hey i like both those. Vader is an attention pig, but it looks spectacular at dusk. and though i don't find 800J to be an architectural masterpiece, i think the design is solid, respects it's surroundings and adds a whole bunch of downtown residents that live where a hole once was.

sactown_2007
Sep 24, 2008, 6:25 AM
Hey I checked out the 621 Capitol Mall web site tonight.

They have changed it from a site promoting the construction of the building towards promoting it to making it appealing to lease office space in the building.

BrianSac
Sep 24, 2008, 4:46 PM
Also, why all the hostilities toward the Renaissance tower? It's a classic :) I understand about 800J :(

I agree, its a classic! Unique to Sacramento. I prefer the name, Darth Vader Bldg, or The Beer Bottle Blgd.

snfenoc
Sep 24, 2008, 8:02 PM
Vader, I love to hate. He's a camera whore. He may be a classic, but he's also a clASSic! ;)

800 J, I truly hate. I don't care if he brings residential density to the area. I don't care if he is home to hip restaurants. Hell, the friggin' Pope could have an apartment there - I'd still hate his guts (the building's guts, not the Pope's). I'm sorry, I just can't let it go; Metro Place should be sitting on that site (hiding the camera whore from view). So, screw that no-height, boring-ass 800 J building, and the horse he rode in on!!!

innov8
Sep 24, 2008, 8:46 PM
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1461/suttermedicalcentergrndpj7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

econgrad
Sep 24, 2008, 11:46 PM
Vader, I love to hate. He's a camera whore. He may be a classic, but he's also a clASSic! ;)

800 J, I truly hate. I don't care if he brings residential density to the area. I don't care if he is home to hip restaurants. Hell, the friggin' Pope could have an apartment there - I'd still hate his guts (the building's guts, not the Pope's). I'm sorry, I just can't let it go; Metro Place should be sitting on that site (hiding the camera whore from view). So, screw that no-height, boring-ass 800 J building, and the horse he rode in on!!!

I agree with you on 800J. I do like the Vader building, its my fav.

ozone
Sep 25, 2008, 2:46 AM
Wow they put the center glass on 500 like in a day. That build-out at 621 might make it better-on the ground at least. Good pics.

ltsmotorsport
Sep 25, 2008, 5:20 AM
The stupidest thing they ever did was put the loading docks/garage entry on the street side and put the retail on what will eventually be an alley. 7th street has never been so insulted.

sactown_2007
Sep 25, 2008, 6:38 AM
Hey thanks for all the updates SNFENOC - 500 Capitol Mall is looking good!!! :tup:

goldcntry
Sep 25, 2008, 2:12 PM
For those who question snfenoc's disparaging comments regarding the camera hog better known as the Darth Vader building, you've got to realize that this is a long and bitter-sweet relationship between snfenoc and Darth. I believe they even tried couples therapy at one point, saddly, Darth just couldn't see the error of her ways. I too have felt the frustration of taking a wonderful shot of downtown Sac and suddenly Darth jumps into the picture, completely overwhelming it! *sigh* So, kudos to snfenoc for his crusade to capture the area for us.

As for 800 J, while the building isn't my favorite, doesn't even crack the top 50, I do like the little designs and patterns in the detail work. Okay, back to sleep....

http://www.sacfrg.org/images/sleepytomato.gif

ozone
Sep 25, 2008, 4:37 PM
The stupidest thing they ever did was put the loading docks/garage entry on the street side and put the retail on what will eventually be an alley. 7th street has never been so insulted.

From a long-term city planning perspective it might seem like a bad move, however, I doubt that accessing the parking garage from an alley would make much sense either. Eventually that "alley" will be a pleasant pedestrian passageway and right now 7th Street is not very attractive. They could have placed the access points on L Street but since L is a major artery it would impede traffic.

I know it wasn't what they expected to be there when they designed it but now they need to make some accomodations and make the 'alley' a little more attractive if they expect to attract business. Who wants to look out at a parking lot? I would add a more substantial buffer between the walkway and the parking lot -like low concrete wall, more plantings, benches, ect.

jsf8278
Sep 25, 2008, 6:01 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of what the Trammel Crow project on Alhambra is supposed to look like? Thanks

innov8
Sep 25, 2008, 10:32 PM
^ If you go to the first page of this thread you'll see it there as well as a list of everything else.

urban_encounter
Sep 25, 2008, 11:47 PM
why all the hostilities toward the Renaissance tower? It's a classic :) I understand about 800J :(

I agree. The Renaissance has grown on me over the years.

otnemarcaS
Sep 26, 2008, 2:57 AM
:previous:

Same here. Didn't people hate the ziggurat building too when it was built? Now we all glow when it's lit up at night. Hey, the transamerica pyramid in SF was denounced and mortified when it was built. Now it's synonymous with SF and is the most recognizable building in the SF skyline. Long live Darth Vader.

urban_encounter
Sep 26, 2008, 2:59 AM
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1461/suttermedicalcentergrndpj7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I hope they open a heart center too, because by the time this darn thing is finished, i'll be needing it.

JVissle
Sep 27, 2008, 1:19 AM
all hail lord Vader

wburg
Sep 27, 2008, 2:49 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of what the Trammel Crow project on Alhambra is supposed to look like? Thanks
Ask, and it shall be in the paper the next day:

Bob Shallit: Alhambra builder aims to stay ahead of pack
By Bob Shallit - bshallit@sacbee.com

Published 12:00 am PDT Saturday, September 27, 2008
Story appeared in OUR REGION section, Page B3

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2008/09/26/21/122-6M27SHALLIT.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.JPG

The 275-unit Alexan Midtown complex under construction at Alhambra and S Street will be condos or rentals, depending on the economy. LPA Sacramento
Click on photo to enlarge

Economic worries have brought most new housing construction to a halt.

But not at the northeast corner of Alhambra Boulevard and S Street in Sacramento, where foundation work is under way on a massive residential and retail complex.

"We should be going vertical by the end of the year," says Peter Solar, a managing director with Trammell Crow Residential, the Dallas-based builder behind the upscale Alexan Midtown project.

Initial work is on a six-story garage and the first of what will be three residential buildings, with a total of 275 units – ranging from 700 to 1,250 square feet each.

Amenities will include a theater room, workout facility, Internet cafe and swimming pool. Retail space is slated for the ground floor facing Alhambra.

The builder's original plan was to make this a condo complex. That idea isn't dead, despite the market slowdown, Solar says.

If condo demand picks up by 2010 when the project is completed, the units will be offered for sale. If not, they'll be rentals.

Either way, the builder figures to have a leg up on the competition by starting construction now.

"We feel that in two years the market will be better and we can take advantage of that," Solar says. "We'll be the only game in town."

Let's be neighborly

One party with interest in the Alexan retail space is the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op, whose increasingly cramped store is diagonally across the street.

One possibility is for the co-op to move its deli-restaurant operation into the new building.

"If there's retail space open across the street, we'd be crazy not to look at it," says co-op GM Paul Cultrera.

But he stresses that's just one way of dealing with the space crunch at the co-op's 12,000-square-foot building.

Forcing the issue are steadily growing sales – with a record $22.5 million in revenues posted for the fiscal year that ended this week, he says.

"We're a business with the (fortunate) problem of bursting at the seams and growing at a time when other (grocery) businesses aren't," Cultrera says.

jsf8278
Sep 27, 2008, 4:10 PM
yeah I saw that in the paper this morning...kind of ironic that I asked about it the other day.
It would be nice to see what the rest of the project will look like. With all the bad news surrounding failed projects, this is sure nice to hear...especially for that area. Now if only that project would get underway down the street where that old gas station has been sitting.

Yogi916
Sep 27, 2008, 4:26 PM
patience, something special is planned for the corner of T & Alhambra where the historic gas station currently sits. planning entitlements were obtained last year and it will move forward in the coming years.

austinjfox
Sep 30, 2008, 3:14 AM
whats the latest word on cathedral square?

innov8
Sep 30, 2008, 3:17 AM
whats the latest word on cathedral square?

It's on hold till the economy improves and there's also word that it might
have been down sized by ten or eleven floors.

austinjfox
Sep 30, 2008, 11:22 PM
dude that sucks. but it totally makes sense. hopefully, the next real estate cycle will happen by 2015. although im sure i'll be out of here by then.