PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Proposal/Approval/Construction Thread - III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

snfenoc
Dec 14, 2017, 10:28 PM
I just saw a tweet from an SBJ writer...the group that lost it's court case against Yamanee has decided to contest the decision.

Majin
Dec 14, 2017, 10:50 PM
I just saw a tweet from an SBJ writer...the group that lost it's court case against Yamanee has decided to contest the decision.

I'd care more if it looked like the developers were close to breaking ground but absent any court case it didn't look like dirt was going to be moving anytime soon anyway.

snfenoc
Dec 18, 2017, 8:53 PM
There's no doubt Yamanee faces an uphill battle, especially when it comes to getting financing. Sacramento does not have a great history with high rise condominiums. (The Sawyer does not count since its development team received help from the city. Also, those 45 residences represent only a fraction of the entire building's use.)

I doubt banks are lining up to risk money on Yamanee - what is likely a $50-60 million project. I really wish the developer was open to something smaller, because I think his chances of success would be much greater. Yes, I think the whole J Street corridor needs more density in terms of housing, office and retail. And I agree that a lot of the buildings along J are just too short, too small and too old - they were built for a different time and a much different city. Unfortunately, the developer's mindset - that only a high rise, luxury condominium works in that location - paints himself into a corner. If Yamanee had been proposed as a six or seven story mixed-income building, which is plenty dense and easy to market, it would have been financed and under construction by now. Also, opposition may have been weaker.

Having said all that, these activists, who won't accept defeat, need to get smacked down. They're basically asserting veto power over every decision that duly elected and appointed officials make. Every project that comes down the pike must meet the approval of these activist control freaks.

The law allows for a variance to be granted, as long as there is good reason. I think that growing the central city, adding housing and attracting the attention of developers, builders and investors are all good reasons to grant Yamanee a variance. The City agrees, the neighborhood association agrees and the court agrees. But that's not good enough for the activists, "RESIST!" is their mantra. They will fight this to the end; simply because they want control. The activists know the court will likely side with the City. However, they also know that Yamanee faces long odds, and their continued pursuit against the project shifts the goal post just a little further away.

I really hope the court slaps them with attorney fees. Frankly, I hope they just plain get slapped. For the sake of property rights, for the sake of freedom and for the sake of the rule of law, I hope they get what is coming to them! Granted, it's probably time to change zoning for major corridors through the central city, but the activists would oppose those changes as well.

CAGeoNerd
Dec 18, 2017, 10:20 PM
Having said all that, these lefty activists, who won't accept defeat, need to get smacked down. They're basically asserting veto power over every decision that duly elected and appointed officials make. Every project that comes down the pike must meet the approval of these activist control freaks.

These people are often on the left of the political spectrum but ironically quite conservative when it comes to actual change and development of housing in their neighborhoods. I'd guess most of them don't want anything new that would displace older buildings or change the tiny skyline in midtown, which for them would see nothing larger than 4 stories built!

snfenoc
Dec 19, 2017, 12:32 AM
Your point is well taken.

I did edit my rant a little (I dropped the "lefty" from it) for a couple reasons: First, you could definitely find protectionist behavior on all sides of the aisle. Also, the City and the neighborhood association, whose employees and members probably don't share my political views, actually support the project.

However, I do think the desire to control economic behavior is more likely to occur on the left than on the right. And that is what this continued lawsuit is all about...Control. A certain historian thinks he is the arbiter of all that is good; and he did not take very kindly to having his arguments overruled. If the judgement stays in place, then his whole reason for being (i.e., controlling what gets built in the central city) is gone.

Pistola916
Dec 29, 2017, 2:25 AM
The P street state office building now has a rendering of the 20-story project on its web page. If it wasn't for that stupid Capitol Protection height limits on buildings this project might have been taller than 300 feet. The design itself isn't great but given the state's track record for awful architecture, it's not terribly bad either. In fact, it looks like the State actually gave the design process some thought.

https://www.dgs.ca.gov/dgs/Home/SacramentoOfficeBuildingProjects/pStreetBuilding.aspx

NickB1967
Dec 29, 2017, 4:07 PM
Your point is well taken.

I did edit my rant a little (I dropped the "lefty" from it) for a couple reasons: First, you could definitely find protectionist behavior on all sides of the aisle. Also, the City and the neighborhood association, whose employees and members probably don't share my political views, actually support the project.

However, I do think the desire to control economic behavior is more likely to occur on the left than on the right. And that is what this continued lawsuit is all about...Control. A certain historian thinks he is the arbiter of all that is good; and he did not take very kindly to having his arguments overruled. If the judgement stays in place, then his whole reason for being (i.e., controlling what gets built in the central city) is gone.

Bingo. THIS. They claim to want more downtown development, but heaven help the developer who tries to build any.

CAGeoNerd
Dec 29, 2017, 5:16 PM
Bingo. THIS. They claim to want more downtown development, but heaven help the developer who tries to build any.

Not bad, I like it.

ozone
Jan 2, 2018, 5:00 PM

It seems that the "They" you are referring to is in dispute and for some depends less on reality and more on personal political proclivities. I've been on a few neighborhood/community boards and have attended numerous meetings and from those experiences I can confidently say that NIMBYs come in all persuasions. The key to understanding what motivates *most* people is in the acronym NIMBY- "not in my back yard." It's usually personal. They'll lose their apartment or view. They're afraid of the noise or that their rent will increase. The latter is where some of the resistant to new development and gentrification is coming. They fear being priced out and being forced to move out of the city center. These people probably have the most legitimate gripe, even if its likely a futile battle. They might seem like "leftists" to outsiders but they are just as likely to be conservative, or at least they'll start out as. Another type of NIMBY is the one who wants to save a *truly* historical or architecturally significant buildings. I get that and they also have a legit case to make. But it's those self-appointed arbiters of good taste and proper heights that really get under my skin.

yolonative
Jan 2, 2018, 5:24 PM
The P street state office building now has a rendering of the 20-story project on its web page. If it wasn't for that stupid Capitol Protection height limits on buildings this project might have been taller than 300 feet. The design itself isn't great but given the state's track record for awful architecture, it's not terribly bad either. In fact, it looks like the State actually gave the design process some thought.

https://www.dgs.ca.gov/dgs/Home/SacramentoOfficeBuildingProjects/pStreetBuilding.aspx

That Capitol Protection height limit is stifling, it really should only apply to the blocks directly adjacent to the capitol. But the rendering appears more thought-out than any existing state office building, as you mention. Does it say anything what the height will roughly be, or are you just basing your height comment off its relative position next to the existing state building at 7th and P (as seen in this link below)? https://www.dgs.ca.gov/portals/1/pstreetbuilding4.jpg

Pistola916
Jan 3, 2018, 12:16 AM
That Capitol Protection height limit is stifling, it really should only apply to the blocks directly adjacent to the capitol. But the rendering appears more thought-out than any existing state office building, as you mention. Does it say anything what the height will roughly be, or are you just basing your height comment off its relative position next to the existing state building at 7th and P (as seen in this link below)? https://www.dgs.ca.gov/portals/1/pstreetbuilding4.jpg

The EIR says the building will be a maximum of 300 feet.

http://sacrbr.aecomonline.net/files/FEIR/Resources%20Replacement_Final%20EIR.pdf

Schmoe
Jan 7, 2018, 12:50 AM

I'll just pray the windows don't fall out.

kamehameha
Jan 16, 2018, 12:16 AM
California budget for 18-19 includes Sac courthouse and River District complex.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2018/01/11/state-budget-includes-money-for-sac-courthouse.html

SacTownAndy
Jan 19, 2018, 11:20 PM
It's behind a paywall so I can't see the whole thing, but saw this headline in the biz journal.

Construction Getting Closer at Sacramento Commons (https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2018/01/19/construction-getting-closer-at-sacramento-commons.html)

snfenoc
Jan 21, 2018, 9:49 PM
I read the article. It’s pretty much a summary of what the project could be. The only “major” pieces of information are:

Weidner Apartment Homes, the developer, is in the “predevelopment” stage of the project. This entails discussing the proposal’s entitlement scope with city planners and officials. They’re also talking with potential architects.

They have have a general contractor, Ryan Companies U.S., identified.

The developer’s spokesperson said they would love to begin this summer, but he admitted that is probably a very optimistic timeline.

There was no word on financing. Maybe the developer plans on self-financing the project? Weidner is worth billions. That’s probably wishful thinking on my part.

All in all, I am happy to see that Sacramento Commons is still on the developer’s radar, but this article is hardly proof positive that the project will happen...at least in its current form. Lots of developers have lots of plans for Sacramento; but a lack financing and available contractors seems to be a constant issue.

Plus, we have to remember that wburg’s Midcentury Monstrosity-loving buddies are just itching to sue.

ThatDarnSacramentan
Jan 22, 2018, 5:35 PM
J Street's going on a road diet. (http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/back-seat-driver/article195679994.html)

City officials will eliminate one of the three lanes on J Street in midtown to make space for a separated bike lane and to slow traffic so pedestrians feel safer. The changes will take place between 19th and 30th streets.

The J Street “road diet” represents the most dramatic step yet in the city’s decade-long effort to make midtown more pedestrian and bicycle-friendly. That has already included narrowing a handful of one-way streets from three to two lanes.

CastleScott
Jan 22, 2018, 5:47 PM
I'd love to read more on Sacramento Commons but that $117 subscription to the biz journal is a bit much for me..:runaway:

CastleScott
Jan 22, 2018, 5:50 PM
Interesting on J St and the others on a road diet-maybe that could motivate some who drive downtown to take transit, bike, Uber/Lyft or walk..

snfenoc
Jan 22, 2018, 6:20 PM
I'd love to read more on Sacramento Commons but that $117 subscription to the biz journal is a bit much for me..:runaway:

I certainly have to budget for my subscription.

However, I really enjoy reading about Sacramento development. It's a fun hobby for me. Living in Southern California does not offer me a lot of opportunity to keep track of Sacramento's development the way I used to - walking the grid and East Sac, and driving around Oak Park and Broadway. Also, these forums are not as busy as they used to be - at one point, we had weekly picture updates. Therefore, my only option is to subscribe to the SBJ; it keeps me up-to-date on my hometown's happenings.

Quite frankly, I think a hobby that costs you only $9.75 per month is not that expensive. Now, if they start raising the price beyond that, I might stop subscribing.

CastleScott
Jan 22, 2018, 7:49 PM
^ Yeah your right Steve $9.75 isn't bad for a hobby and I know my wife likes that I have nerdy hobbies (I also enjoy trains-like to got downtown to the train station or out to the Roseville yard when I have out of town visitors-also into aviation as did a stint in the Air Force reserves and I work in an office at the Sacramento airport now-I fly drones sometimes too). Since I'm a currently working Federal employee who's pay is in limbo due to the Federal shut down I'm just waiting to get hopefully a lil cash ahead to subscribe-there's a library close in the meantime where I can get a paper journal (do payroll/time keeping/accounting for DHS).

j_deguzman10
Feb 18, 2018, 6:02 PM
Hi guys its me again, I'm writing a letter to Mayor Steinberg asking about the development of Aura at 621 Capitol Mall and I will attempt to encourage the city to pressure the developers into building the project and/or offering financial incentives/support to construct the building that has been on hold for the past 12 years due to the recession and Mo Mohanna lawsuit. Wish me luck! :cheers:

urban_encounter
Feb 25, 2018, 5:02 PM
Hi guys its me again, I'm writing a letter to Mayor Steinberg asking about the development of Aura at 621 Capitol Mall and I will attempt to encourage the city to pressure the developers into building the project and/or offering financial incentives/support to construct the building that has been on hold for the past 12 years due to the recession and Mo Mohanna lawsuit. Wish me luck! :cheers:

The city can't really pressure David Taylor to build Aura, especially when it has more pressing eyesores in the city such as J street and 301 CM (Thanks John Saca). It's possible David Taylor may look at developing that site with some kind of residential component with any capital he might have received from the sale of the adjacent U.S. Bank tower to the Shorenstein company. But I wouldn't expect anything as grand as the former Aura proposal. If something does get built I would suspect it would be more in scale with Mohanna's 11 story 19J project (except it would likely be market rate).

Time will tell.

ltsmotorsport
Feb 26, 2018, 8:43 PM
I don't think there's any way that site get a project the scale of 19J. Location alone, fronting CM and across from G1C, make this prime real estate for larger projects. This site is also way bigger than the 19J property.

I agree however that the Aura won't be built, simply because I doubt the architect is interested in having his design be built without a hefty fee. I nice office/condo product would be a good fit, IMO. A new tallest is always welcome too.

ThatDarnSacramentan
Mar 2, 2018, 1:36 AM
So I was trying to remember the details of the Sacramento Commons project for something I'm looking at, and I reread the Business Journal story (pro tip: beat the paywall by stopping the page from fully loading, the paywall is the last thing to load). Something stood out to me and I'm not sure if it's accurate or if they got something wrong:

Units at Sacramento Commons would be in mid-rise buildings on the western half of the site, two new high-rises on the corner of P and Seventh and either a condominium or hotel/condominium tower at P and Ninth.

They must have meant P and 7th, right? P and 9th is three state buildings and Roosevelt Park.

j_deguzman10
Mar 3, 2018, 1:11 AM
I’m just curious to hear from everyone what projects do you think are going to get off the ground this year in West Sac and Sac? Do you guys think that the so called “building boom” exists or is just all hype? Personally I do hope that The Metropolitan can get started even though Saca is being a pain in the butt and that The Bridge District and The Railyards can finally start buulding faster, especially the former.

ozone
Mar 3, 2018, 7:23 PM
I’m just curious to hear from everyone what projects do you think are going to get off the ground this year in West Sac and Sac? Do you guys think that the so called “building boom” exists or is just all hype? Personally I do hope that The Metropolitan can get started even though Saca is being a pain in the butt and that The Bridge District and The Railyards can finally start buulding faster, especially the former.

I guess it depends on what you call a building boom? There’s a lot of infill being built in “the grid” but mostly outside of downtown and no high-rises. A lot of this is due to the property owners, which includes too many out of town multi investers. As for those old precrash proposals. They aren’t likely to be realized. The Railyards will soon be getting its first housing project soon.

Pistola916
Mar 4, 2018, 6:57 PM

There are two state office buildings getting started in the summer - one is an 11-story building on 12th and O streets, and a 20-story high-rise at 8th and P.

j_deguzman10
Mar 6, 2018, 2:03 AM
http://www.sactownmag.com/December-January-2017/Top-of-the-Town/
Check this out I found an article last year by Sactown Mag about 7 proposals for observation towers and vertical parks in Sacramento. What do you guys think about this/ Do you think that the city has a chance of constructing one of these because it would be a great addition for Sacramento. The average cost of a tower is 70 million for these proposals and they are recent designs, unlike the competition from 2011 that failed to produce any construction or hype. Getting any one of these projects built would have a huge effect on the tourism and an increase in hotel tax due to the project's "monument" status and would certainly give Sacramento the spotlight.

Personally my favorite is Amplified and Prospect Tower but let me know on what you guys think.

(I wrote a letter to Mayor Steinberg, Vice Mayor Hansen, and GSEC about this I'll let you guys know when I get a response)

innov8
Mar 6, 2018, 6:12 PM
Anything is possible and I do not have the answer, but whatever it is it should be
something unique and original. The Mayor has also thought both an aquarium or
observation tower were good ideas... but neither are original. There are already a
dozen aquariums in CA alone. This observation tower is boring if it has no other
function. IMO, these seven proposals are not iconic and I don’t see enough people
willing to pay money to use it. This is the 3rd or 4th time this type of article has been
published by Sactown in the last 10 years with many of same proposals
getting recycled and shown again like it’s something different this time. The skyline
could use some height, but this is a weak way to do it. They should focus on getting
the Powerhouse Science center built first, its been on the drawing board
for 15 years or more with not enough money to build.

CAGeoNerd
Mar 6, 2018, 8:20 PM
"The Spire and the Canopy" looks cool but also literally look like the Wookie homeworld from Star Wars.

enigma99a
Mar 7, 2018, 2:49 AM
The Mayor has also thought both an aquarium or
observation tower were good ideas... but neither are original. There are already a
dozen aquariums in CA alone. This observation tower is boring if it has no other
function.

We have a nice aquarium in Monterey and I agree although it is nice to have something closer for kids. I also think a tower isn’t good money spent. I would also like to see the science center completed, which btw has all the funding and is planned to break ground this summer.

Would like to see the railyard buildings restored and completed with attractions. I wish the city would invest in the zoo more. I think $200 million would be a good investment and move it to an area that isn’t land locked and can expand. (Sutters landing regional park would be perfect)

ozone
Mar 8, 2018, 5:17 PM
All of those hypothetical observation towers are ugly. But there's no reason to worry about any of them ever being erected. There's no general will or funding for them. Our city leaders (public and private) are always looking to other cities for inspiration. And they are always looking for that one big thing that will finally bring about downtown's tipping point. And it is that sort of thinking that is partially to blame for downtown's slow progression. These people really do not understand why great cities are great.

ThatDarnSacramentan
Mar 8, 2018, 6:37 PM
All of those hypothetical observation towers are ugly. But there's no reason to worry about any of them ever being erected. There's no general will or funding for them. Our city leaders (public and private) are always looking to other cities for inspiration. And they are always looking for that one big thing that will finally bring about downtown's tipping point. And it is that sort of thinking that is partially to blame for downtown's slow progression. These people really do not understand why great cities are great.

Agreed. I can think of at least ten different things we could do before some Space Needle knockoff that would make this city better and more vibrant.

LandofFrost
Mar 9, 2018, 6:37 PM
1. Fix up, do something cool with the Rail Yard Buildings. In connection with the Railroad museum and old town, they are very cool attractions in themselves.

2. Fix up the areas under the raised freeways that surround Sacramento especially near the new proposed Science Museum.

3. Make the river part of Downtown, it feels so disconnected and is one of the coolest things about Sacramento.

Those things are all better then spending money on a observation tower or aquarium.

snfenoc
Mar 10, 2018, 12:11 AM
Just saw a tweet from Sac Business Journal writer, Ben van der Meer: "Nothing official, but sounds as if the hotel Randy Paragary is developing near the Sofia (the new theater for the B Street Theater company) will start work in about 90 days."

The Fort Sutter Hotel would be a really nice addition to the area.

https://www.downtownsac.org/project/fort-sutter-hotel/

https://www.downtownsac.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/paragarys-1_1200xx12158-6839-0-331-768x432.jpg

ozone
Mar 10, 2018, 3:31 PM
^^^ Excellent. Didn't read the article but I assume that Cafe Bernardo's will reopen in the new hotel?

ThatDarnSacramentan
Mar 10, 2018, 11:08 PM
Anyone know or heard about a project at 16th and Broadway next to Willie's? The parking lot on the corner got fenced off overnight and the sidewalks have been closed.

Ellisjh@
Mar 11, 2018, 7:34 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article157378229.html

Broadway in Landpark getting another new restaurant
Article: Ryan Lillis
Publication: Sacramento Bee
Date published: June,21st,2017

Ellisjh@
Mar 11, 2018, 7:36 PM
I live in Curtis Park near by and have been anticipating this project, I hope this is the project you were referencing @ ThatDarnSacramentan

hocobo
Mar 11, 2018, 8:14 PM
Anyone know or heard about a project at 16th and Broadway next to Willie's? The parking lot on the corner got fenced off overnight and the sidewalks have been closed.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article157378229.html

Ellisjh@
Mar 11, 2018, 8:18 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcnqge4FSpH/

thought you guys might enjoy this instagram page, it features a lot of new construction from excellent perspectives.

Majin
Mar 13, 2018, 10:00 PM
Does anyone have a complete list of stalled projects in the grid? Meaning they were proposed/approved but no construction work has started yet? Off the top of my head:

1. Sacramento Commons
2. Yamanee
3. Hotel Marshall
4. 20th and L apartments (Previously wholefoods)
5. Apartments above Sacbee parking lot
6. Sacramento kings apartments on K street
7. Vanir Tower

Others in limbo:

1. The Metropolitian
2. St Anston building across the street from The Metropolitian
3. 301CM

Anything I'm missing?

downtownserg89
Mar 14, 2018, 1:35 AM
Does anyone have a complete list of stalled projects in the grid? Meaning they were proposed/approved but no construction work has started yet? Off the top of my head:

1. Sacramento Commons
2. Yamanee
3. Hotel Marshall
7. Vanir Tower

Others in limbo:

1. The Metropolitian
3. 301CM

Anything I'm missing?

The Paragary's mid-rise? The senior LGBT housing on 16th & F. I think the housing project on the northeast corner of 16th & H just broke ground. Well, they started gutting out the surface parking, but construction of the building has not technically started.

Also, there's that high-rise proposed for the lot directly next to the historic Heilbron House. That's all I can think of at the moment. There must be a few more.

ozone
Mar 14, 2018, 5:24 AM

1. Sacramento Commons
2. Yamanee
3. Hotel Marshall
7. Vanir Tower

Others in limbo:

1. The Metropolitian
3. 301CM

Anything I'm missing?

"Stalled" implies that things aren't moving forward. I know the people in charge of two of these projects and as far I know they're still a go.

ThatDarnSacramentan
Mar 14, 2018, 4:22 PM
"Stalled" implies that things aren't moving forward. I know the people in charge of two of these projects and as far I know they're still a go.

I know Press went in for permit a while ago. Don't know what the delay is, that was supposed to have been started by December at the latest.

Majin
Mar 14, 2018, 5:40 PM

Which ones? As far as I know there hasn't been any (public) news on any of these projects in quite awhile despite having all of the approvals.

SacTownAndy
Mar 14, 2018, 10:12 PM

1. Sacramento Commons
2. Yamanee
3. Hotel Marshall
7. Vanir Tower

Others in limbo:

1. The Metropolitian
3. 301CM

Anything I'm missing?

What about that apartment building that was supposed to go up on Broadway and was supposed to have a big "BROADWAY" sign up top (anyone remember what I'm talking about?). Also the "Riveredge" (now called "West") apartment building on the West Sac side of the Tower Bridge was supposed to have broken ground like two years ago.

j_deguzman10
Mar 15, 2018, 4:38 PM

What two projects are you talking about? I hope one of them is The Metropolitan because the July deadline is coming very quickly or else the the project will be killed, which would be a total shame if that’s the case because it was so close to starting pre recession.

ozone
Mar 15, 2018, 9:13 PM
What two projects are you talking about? I hope one of them is The Metropolitan because the July deadline is coming very quickly or else the the project will be killed, which would be a total shame if that’s the case because it was so close to starting pre recession.

Sorry the Metropolitan is not one of them. I know nothing about that project. Re. the 2 projects listed I am loathe to talk about them because a year or so ago I debated someone on this forum who I found out was involved in a dispute with the developer I knew and that caused some friction, or at least I felt it had or could have done so therefore I'd rather not get into details/names.

Pistola916
Mar 16, 2018, 12:28 AM
The city council next Tuesday will discuss a proposal to develop the parking lot, where Aura was once planned, into a 5- story, 150 unit residential building. FIVE STORIES!!!!!

This ridiculous and lame proposal needs to be rejected by council. Anything less than 250 feet is unacceptable.

Good news from another project: the 9 story condo mid-rise on 14th and N street developed by CADA will go to the Planning Commission next Thursday. I like this project a lot - great design.

snfenoc
Mar 16, 2018, 12:35 AM
Yeah, a writer for the SBJ is hinting at development at the Aura site. Five stories is really disappointing. I was hoping for something in the 15-20 range.

That same SBJ writer mentioned there may be news on the 21st and L proposal (formerly Whole Foods) coming soon. Let’s hope it’s good.

ltsmotorsport
Mar 16, 2018, 4:23 AM
Wow, really disappointing to hear about the Aura site. Five stories on Capitol Mall is absolutely pathetic and really says something about the vision of our "leaders" in this city. Wherever this idea is coming from, it should be squashed as you don't rush development of such an important location, adjacent to the arena or not.

EDIT

Ok, so nothing local about the proposal; all from Shorenstein. This is a truly an uninspired idea from out of town owners that shouldn’t be supported by anyone with a vote.

SacTownAndy
Mar 16, 2018, 4:44 PM
The city council next Tuesday will discuss a proposal to develop the parking lot, where Aura was once planned, into a 5- story, 150 unit residential building. FIVE STORIES!!!!!

This ridiculous and lame proposal needs to be rejected by council. Anything less than 250 feet is unacceptable.

So if I understand the article correctly, the city council agenda item is to approve/deny a modification request from Shorenstein. The original land transfer deal back in 2002 from the City to Taylor (seller) required three possibilities for the site: "400-foot-tall mixed-use building of 25 floors, a 500-room hotel or 300-unit residential project, or a 65,000-square-foot entertainment or retail development."

So in order to only build 5 stories, they need to get approval from the city to modify the original land transfer deal. And the Economic Development Dept is recommending the council approve the request.

j_deguzman10
Mar 16, 2018, 6:51 PM

Good news from another project: the 9 story condo mid-rise on 14th and N street developed by CADA will go to the Planning Commission next Thursday. I like this project a lot - great design.

You do not know how disappointed I am in the city and David Taylor. A FIVE STORY BUILDING AT CAPITOL MALL!!! A place where there should be skyscrapers, offices, and luxury hotels and condos! A five story project will not fit with Downtown at all, if anything it should belong in Midtown. I hope that this will be a wake up call for David Taylor to move his butt or else Sacramento will be robbed of yet another large scale project and will look like a joke to the city because I know how closely the citizens and residents follow development in the city.

It’s a shame too, the Aura project would have been a wonderful addition to the Sacramento skyline and could have added more luxury condos, hotel rooms, and amenities, along with a beautiful design.

Majin
Mar 16, 2018, 7:34 PM
Yeah... I really do not understand how the city council could be on board with this. I rather it remain a parking lot until a skyscraper can be built.

And I am still dubious of the opinion that highrise housing doesnt work when The Sawyer worked and there are already mulitple buildings under construction in midtown taller than 5 floors.

Hell there is a 6 floor apartment building under construction on Stockton Blvd, not even in midtown.

innov8
Mar 16, 2018, 9:53 PM
The take away from this is that the market is not strong enough or expensive
enough to support either a high-rise office or condos on Capitol Mall. Look at
all 301 Capitol Mall and Vanir Tower on J Street, for years both have been
trying to gather up pre-lease interest but currently don’t have enough interest
to even begin the entitlement process. Obviously, neither proposal has reach the
point where they want to spend money applying and for city entitlements to
build. There are a half dozen residential high-rise proposals just sitting out
there with entitlements but the cost to build is to high and won’t balance out.
David Taylor is the city’s most experience high-rise builder with five completed
projects. If he can’t make the numbers work, it probably won’t happen.

Majin
Mar 16, 2018, 10:04 PM
The market is strong enough to support a highrise hotel/condo project 1 block over, a highrise (11 stories) about a mile away, a 8 floor project about a mile away, but somehow the market is only able to support a 5 floor project on capitol mall?

Just because there are no developers stepping up for that particular project doesn't mean it can't be supported (sounds like your only data point) when there are lot of other data points (Year over year rent increases, population growth, other projects under construction) point in another direction.

snfenoc
Mar 16, 2018, 10:08 PM
So if I understand the article correctly, the city council agenda item is to approve/deny a modification request from Shorenstein. The original land transfer deal back in 2002 from the City to Taylor (seller) required three possibilities for the site: "400-foot-tall mixed-use building of 25 floors, a 500-room hotel or 300-unit residential project, or a 65,000-square-foot entertainment or retail development."

So in order to only build 5 stories, they need to get approval from the city to modify the original land transfer deal. And the Economic Development Dept is recommending the council approve the request.

Yes, I think you've summarized it well.

At this point, there doesn't seem to be a concrete proposal - no drawings, nothing submitted beyond this request to change the scope. Also, approval of this agenda item would not preclude Shorenstein, the soon-to-be new owner, from building something taller than a 5-story, 150-unit residential building. (They could build a combination of office, hotel and/or residential.) So there's some hope.

Having said that, it does not look good. According to the developer:
Shorenstein prefers to build a mid-rise residential project of approximately 150 units, indicating that this type of development is more commercially feasible at this time...

Also, according to the city's Economic Development Project Manager:
It is envisioned that this modification to the Scope of Development ... might allow development to occur sooner than waiting for the project economics to justify the costs of a high-rise project...

In other words, we're gonna have to take what we can get. Otherwise, we could be waiting another 15 years.

It's sad that, if built, this could be the shortest building on Crapitol Mall. Construction prices have gotten so far out of hand, that Sacramento's grand boulevard may only see mid rise development in the near future. Additionally, I am especially disheartened because there are so many undeveloped or underdeveloped lots in Midtown that would benefit from mid rise, mixed-use residential buildings - it seems like such a waste of prime land.

snfenoc
Mar 16, 2018, 10:40 PM
The market is strong enough to support a highrise hotel/condo project 1 block over, a highrise (11 stories) about a mile away, a 8 floor project about a mile away, but somehow the market is only able to support a 5 floor project on capitol mall?

Just because there are no developers stepping up for that particular project doesn't mean it can't be supported (sounds like your only data point) when there are lot of other data points (Year over year rent increases, population growth, other projects under construction) point in another direction.

What about the year-over-year cost of construction? I'm thinking the cost to build a 25-story high rise in California is astronomical...and rising.

Regarding your comparables:

The Sawyer is mired in construction liens right now. Also, I'm not sure if any of the 45 "Residences at the Sawyer" have even been delivered yet. Last time I checked, the units had not been finished and only the penthouse units were sold out. (There were, still, quite a few standard units for sale.) Do you really consider "The Residences at the Sawyer" a success? Additionally, "The Residences at the Sawyer" represents only a fraction (the top few floors) of a 16-story building that contains hundreds of hotel rooms, a bowling alley, restaurants, and other businesses. Oh yeah, I would be remiss if I did not beat this dead horse: The Sawyer is only a fraction of a larger project (DOCO) that has received hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies. Given all that, how does the "Residences at The Sawyer" compare to a standalone, non-subsidized building that would contain more than 3 times the number of residential units?

By the way, The Sawyer is butt-ugly. There...I said it.

The 11-story project (I assume you mean Mohanna's 19J?) has managed to erect two floors in four months. I'm not saying it's in trouble, but I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the height in half. Something ain't right about 19J - Mohanna may be in over her head. Also, 19J is geared toward a high volume, lower income model. I'm betting 601 CM is taking a market rate and/or luxury approach.

The 8-story project (I assume you mean 1430 Q Street) will have about 75 residential units. (The developer for 601 CM wants to build 150 residential units.) It's also using a new type of wood construction that costs less and allows the builder to go higher than a standard wood frame.

Also, it seems like both 19J and 1430Q have tiny footprints when compared to 601 CM. On Google maps, it looks like they each take about 1/8 of their respective blocks. 601 CM, on the other hand, takes up at least 1/3 of its block. 19J and 1430Q have to build up. Conversely, 601 CM can spread things out.

ltsmotorsport
Mar 17, 2018, 3:55 AM
I think Shorenstein is just looking for a quick profit instead of waiting for a something better to come available. Especially bad from an out-of-town developer who doesn't seem to appreciate the significance of the location. I agree with Majin that a parking lot that is easy to redevelop is better than a mediocre building that will be there for 50+ years. Nor real reason to rush this site except for $$$ or a good project.

j_deguzman10
Mar 17, 2018, 4:02 PM
I think Shorenstein is just looking for a quick profit instead of waiting for a something better to come available. Especially bad from an out-of-town developer who doesn't seem to appreciate the significance of the location. I agree with Majin that a parking lot that is easy to redevelop is better than a mediocre building that will be there for 50+ years. Nor real reason to rush this site except for $$$ or a good project.

I agree with everyone, Shorenstein should either wait or not build at all, and if they are going to build I think that another Yamanee with a neo modern look would fit, as long as it isn’t 19Q height because that doesn’t belong there. If they are looking to build a five story project they can build on an empty lot in Midtown that is in need to building.

ThatDarnSacramentan
Mar 18, 2018, 4:05 PM
I think anyone expecting high-rises anytime soon should have a reality check after those steel tariffs happened. If the market was uncertain here before, there's a snowball's chance in San Diego of seeing high-rises in Sacramento this cycle, let alone this current government.

slock
Mar 19, 2018, 4:30 PM
New California Natural Resources Building. Expected to break ground this fall:

http://news.theregistrysf.com/turner-to-build-520mm-headquarters-for-california-department-of-natural-resources/

kamehameha
Mar 19, 2018, 5:42 PM
don't worry guys we will have a few more high rises in the next few years, the department of Natural Resources, an 11 story state building(summer ground breaking), new 20 story convention center hotel and the 18 story or so new court house. The Marshall hotel and the 301 CM is still a go. the marshall hotel is getting help from the city and 301 CM is still finalizing the design. Calstrs is still 50/50 if they should build a new 10 story mid rise in west sac if not they can go to 301 CM. so at least 4 highrises/midrises coming down the pipeline.

j_deguzman10
Mar 19, 2018, 6:42 PM
don't worry guys we will have a few more high rises in the next few years, the department of Natural Resources, an 11 story state building(summer ground breaking), new 20 story convention center hotel and the 18 story or so new court house. The Marshall hotel and the 301 CM is still a go. the marshall hotel is getting help from the city and 301 CM is still finalizing the design. Calstrs is still 50/50 if they should build a new 10 story mid rise in west sac if not they can go to 301 CM. so at least 4 highrises/midrises coming down the pipeline.

Is the a time set for the Marshall Hotel construction and 301 Capitol Mall? And is there any news for The Metropolitan and 601 Capitol Mall? While I am happy that there is construction and high rises, they are for the state and not office buildings/condominiums, but unfortunately the market is only ready for small projects and State Projects.

CAGeoNerd
Mar 19, 2018, 8:19 PM

Yes, these are all coming and looking forward to them! Next couple of years these will hopefully go vertical.

innov8
Mar 19, 2018, 8:44 PM
So much certainty in your ability to see the future, please explain further CAGeoNerd and
Kamehameha what you’re basing this on? Do you have communications with any one of
these developers or banks preparing to finance these projects? You only have to look
back a little over 30 years to see that most of these proposals will never leave the
drawing board because of bad timing or sensational hype and nothing more.
It would be incredible if these all panned out, but let’s get real and put this in
perspective… what’s actually getting built here and what we want built here.

CAGeoNerd
Mar 19, 2018, 9:46 PM
So much certainty in your ability to see the future, please explain further CAGeoNerd and
Kamehameha what you’re basing this on? Do you have communications with any one of
these developers or banks preparing to finance these projects? You only have to look
back a little over 30 years to see that most of these proposals will never leave the
drawing board because of bad timing or sensational hype and nothing more.
It would be incredible if these all panned out, but let’s get real and put this in
perspective… what’s actually getting built here and what we want built here.

Nope, just looking at the timelines and I know the approvals/permitting is currently going through the process for these. But I guess you're right, we should assume the worst in all possible scenarios. :shrug:

Pistola916
Mar 19, 2018, 11:32 PM
19 J is on its 3rd floor and I still don't feel confident we will see the full projected height built. I'd be content with 6-8 floors. Anything beyond that is gravy.

ltsmotorsport
Mar 20, 2018, 4:42 AM
I don't think 19J pencils out if they don't build the full height so I wouldn't be worried about that project. It's a complicated project with a new type of construction and I'm sure the contractor is figuring a few things out. The crane should be up in the next little while too with the base already in.

kamehameha
Mar 20, 2018, 4:27 PM
At least 4 midrises/highrises, two will get underway this summer and fall. :)

urbanadvocate
Mar 20, 2018, 4:36 PM
19 J is on its 3rd floor and I still don't feel confident we will see the full projected height built. I'd be content with 6-8 floors. Anything beyond that is gravy.

The top of the rebar at the shafts is likely already at floor 4 if not 5 --just scale the men working they look tiny.

innov8
Mar 20, 2018, 5:47 PM
The hotel at 15th & K is just an idea with a rendering, nothing has been presented to the
Planning Dept. The Courthouse project has also only presented a rendering, to pay for it
the County needs to sell $250 million in real-estate. 301 CM is also just a rendering too,
no plans have been submitting to the planning Dept. I’m glad your excited about the States
plan to build, they did wonders with the East End project and CalPERS downtown right?

j_deguzman10
Mar 21, 2018, 1:42 AM
Guys check this out if you have a Twitter, Ben Van Der Meer of the SacBiz j tweeted that Shorenstein will explore the feasibility of a 14 story building on the Aura site instead of 5 stories! How exciting, 9 additional stories! Hopefully they can even go farther than 14 stories if they find it financially feasible!

j_deguzman10
Mar 21, 2018, 1:59 AM
O and also big news it appears that Centene is close or has voted on building a HQ in Sac, a developer apparently signed an application to build Centene’s HQ near Sleep Train.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2018/03/20/sacramento-receives-proposal-for-possible-centene.html

innov8
Mar 21, 2018, 3:39 PM
https://s5.postimg.org/k14mluuvb/CADA_Site_21.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

CADA Site 21 proposal goes to the Planning & Design Commission tomorrow. This is
a fine project and one Sacramento can support. 10 years ago Sacramento could only
support residential as high as 5 floors and now were up to 9. Anyone who
expects the city to leap into the high rise living better take a step back. We should
be lucky this is going up, an apartment building over 50 years old will be demolished
and the local preservationist could not find a way to make it an historic structure.

https://s5.postimg.org/rh3w7nqaf/CADA_Site_21_.2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

http://sacramento.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=21&event_id=3180&meta_id=517163

snfenoc
Mar 21, 2018, 4:10 PM
Such a fine building. I've always liked this design - the back leave a little something to be desired, but that's true for almost all buildings. It will look very appropriate for its location across from Capitol Park. Even though its rather large for Sacramento, this has a good chance, since Cresleigh Homes is the developer. I'm sure they have access to tons of capital and a list of available contractors. I would be ecstatic to see this, and 50 more like it, get built. I hope the Preservationist Crew does not attempt lawsuit after lawsuit...like they're doing with Yamanee.

Speaking of Yamanee, does anyone know anything? It may be just a little too big - it's definitely at or a little past the limit of what can get built right now. However, I think it would make for a great addition to Midtown.

Pistola916
Mar 21, 2018, 4:44 PM
https://s5.postimg.org/k14mluuvb/CADA_Site_21.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

CADA Site 21 proposal goes to the Planning & Design Commission tomorrow. This is
a fine project and one Sacramento can support. 10 years ago Sacramento could only
support residential as high as 5 floors and now were up to 9. Anyone who
expects the city to leap into the high rise living better take a step back. We should
be lucky this is going up, an apartment building over 50 years old will be demolished
and the local preservationist could not find a way to make it an historic structure.

https://s5.postimg.org/rh3w7nqaf/CADA_Site_21_.2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

http://sacramento.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=21&event_id=3180&meta_id=517163

Damn that's a beautifully design building. I would love to see several of those mid rise projects lined up against N street.

downtownserg89
Mar 22, 2018, 5:12 AM
Saw the comment that was made in the other thread about the Sac Forum lacking activity, so I went ahead and brought my camera with me on my trip to the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-Op. Wish I could've visited more construction sites, but it was getting darker and I feared I would get caught in the rain, and let me tell you.. nothing is worse than biking in the rain, especially with a nice camera. Here are some photos of both large and small projects.

Housing near 14th & D streets. (fun fact - I was born and raised in that old vintage fourplex on the left.)
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/buffslut/IMG_6726_zps5hxazj5d.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/buffslut/media/IMG_6726_zps5hxazj5d.jpg.html)
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/buffslut/IMG_6729_zpsw1skcrmr.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/buffslut/media/IMG_6729_zpsw1skcrmr.jpg.html)

housing in Chinatown Alley between 16th and and 15th st
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/buffslut/IMG_6730_zpszwwlee6f.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/buffslut/media/IMG_6730_zpszwwlee6f.jpg.html)

and in front of that housing are these new homes on D street. (I would've gotten a closer shot but someone I didn't want to stop and talk to lives next to them and I could see them sitting on the porch.)
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/buffslut/IMG_6731_zpsw894ksz0.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/buffslut/media/IMG_6731_zpsw894ksz0.jpg.html)

New Victorian-style housing on the southwest corner of 16th & F
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/buffslut/IMG_6733_zpst5o5ad37.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/buffslut/media/IMG_6733_zpst5o5ad37.jpg.html)
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/buffslut/IMG_6735_zpsatwddhg8.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/buffslut/media/IMG_6735_zpsatwddhg8.jpg.html)

19J still dragging its feet
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/buffslut/IMG_6737_zpsx5sfulmp.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/buffslut/media/IMG_6737_zpsx5sfulmp.jpg.html)
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/buffslut/IMG_6739_zpsjlnuqxrh.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/buffslut/media/IMG_6739_zpsjlnuqxrh.jpg.html)

Housing going up on the northeast corner of 23rd and K. I think this project will have ground level retail?
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/buffslut/IMG_6744_zpsjejkxoyo.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/buffslut/media/IMG_6744_zpsjejkxoyo.jpg.html)
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/buffslut/IMG_6745_zpsqjb4ga8w.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/buffslut/media/IMG_6745_zpsqjb4ga8w.jpg.html)

and finally here is the site over on Stockton & T
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/buffslut/IMG_6749_zpsvizsi7y0.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/buffslut/media/IMG_6749_zpsvizsi7y0.jpg.html)
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/buffslut/IMG_6751_zpsezsyccus.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/buffslut/media/IMG_6751_zpsezsyccus.jpg.html)

and that is all for now.

I must say, it saddens me to see what has become of this forum. I've been following this forum for over a decade. I literally check it every day. It used to be filled with tons of activity, but it has slowly fizzled out. I will continue to visit on the daily, because I love to read everything you guys talk about.

I know I don't really fit in with the crowd that mainly posts in this forum - I think you're all like professional business men whereas I'm just some 28 year old working retail and going to the bars every weekend, but I just want to tell you guys that I really admire and respect everything you do on here. We all share a love for Sac and enjoy watching it blossom. Thanks. :tup:

snfenoc
Mar 22, 2018, 4:06 PM
Thank you for the photos, dts89! You showed a couple of projects that I did not know had started. Very exiting.

I think you fit in just fine, here on this forum. Many of us have business backgrounds, many of us don't. Some of us are good conservatives or libertarians, most are communists and pinkos ;) j/k

Some are gay, others are straight. Some think that cilantro tastes good, others still have their sanity.

Yes, there are a lot of differences. So what do we all have in common? Well, we love Sacramento and we geek out on development. We can meet in this forum and post news, discuss development and, yes, even argue. That's a good thing. I know for a fact that lots of movers and shakers and tons of regular folks "lurk" in this forum. I am convinced that the disappointment we all expressed about 601 CM is one of the reasons the developer was pressured by the City Council into exploring something more than just a 5-story building.

If you ask me, I am very happy that people like you keep this forum alive with thoughts, ideas, analysis, and pictures. Keep posting! Sacramento development is anything, but dead.

creamcityleo79
Mar 22, 2018, 6:21 PM
Thank you for the photos, dts89! You showed a couple of projects that I did not know had started. Very exiting.

I think you fit in just fine, here on this forum. Many of us have business backgrounds, many of us don't. Some of us are good conservatives or libertarians, most are communists and pinkos ;) j/k

Some are gay, others are straight. Some think that cilantro tastes good, others still have their sanity.

Yes, there are a lot of differences. So what do we all have in common? Well, we love Sacramento and we geek out on development. We can meet in this forum and post news, discuss development and, yes, even argue. That's a good thing. I know for a fact that lots of movers and shakers and tons of regular folks "lurk" in this forum. I am convinced that the disappointment we all expressed about 601 CM is one of the reasons the developer was pressured by the City Council into exploring something more than just a 5-story building.

If you ask me, I am very happy that people like you keep this forum alive with thoughts, ideas, analysis, and pictures. Keep posting! Sacramento development is anything, but dead.

I'm one of those regular lurkers who checks every day for the better part of 12 years...and I'll be sad to see us demoted to the Pacific West forum. I do know what Serg means, though. Some bullies tried to smear and shame me for my "immoral" past a while back. I haven't posted in here since, when there have been many times I would have (news stories, developments, etc). This place hasn't been the friendliest for one of the original forumers from back in the day (me). Hopefully, people can calm down with their ridicule and bullying. I doubt it.

downtownserg89
Mar 22, 2018, 8:14 PM

Thanks for the kind words, snfenoc! Yeah, we've all got our different opinions and point of views, but at the end, we all share one thing - the love for Sacramento's development.

I shall continue to contribute update photos on various projects like I've been doing for the past few years. I honestly get a kick out of it, and I think some of you do too. :cool:

j_deguzman10
Mar 23, 2018, 2:23 AM
http://kuchman.com/work/

I was looking for the Grannery Loft project in TBD in West Sac when I stumbled across Kuchman Architecture's website. They have built quite a few projects in Sacramento like Cannery Place and 700 K and it appears that more and more projects from them will get built like 1717 S by The Ice Blocks and 4801 J Street in Sacramento. They also have full renderings of the sites.

http://kuchman.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/1717s-2.jpg

Di any of you guys know that 1717 S consisted of 4 separate buildings? I thought it was only 1 building until I saw the rendering provided.

j_deguzman10
Mar 23, 2018, 2:26 AM
http://pmasacramento.com/doneImages/t9.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iflb32pX7Dw/Re9gThnmREI/AAAAAAAAAJU/r9doEGklKNA/s400/T9.JPG

Also, do you guys know if Township Nine will be built out? The last time I heard from them was 2017 when the developers filed for bankruptcy, although I think I read somewhere that they would begin development again but that never happened. Perhaps the Railyard development might add some competition to Township 9 and pressure the new developers to build?

innov8
Mar 23, 2018, 3:49 PM
I'm one of those regular lurkers who checks every day for the better part of 12 years...and I'll be sad to see us demoted to the Pacific West forum. I do know what Serg means, though. Some bullies tried to smear and shame me for my "immoral" past a while back. I haven't posted in here since, when there have been many times I would have (news stories, developments, etc). This place hasn't been the friendliest for one of the original forumers from back in the day (me). Hopefully, people can calm down with their ridicule and bullying. I doubt it.

For someone who does not want to talk about it, you sure like to talk about it
again and again. Now let’s be fair here, are you saying the moderator and
everyone else who asked you to stop and did not want to hear your sexual
escapades on the levee are bullies? If you like, I can list the page so
everyone can see for themselves? Portraying yourself as a victim is odd for
sure, since you’re the one who enjoys talking about your “immoral” past.
Can you drop this once and for all?

NikeFutbolero
Mar 23, 2018, 8:29 PM
I was going to say hey guys stop it, but with recent news about this forum getting moved due to lack of trffic, fight away!

creamcityleo79
Mar 23, 2018, 10:50 PM
For someone who does not want to talk about it, you sure like to talk about it
again and again. Now let’s be fair here, are you saying the moderator and
everyone else who asked you to stop and did not want to hear your sexual
escapades on the levee are bullies? If you like, I can list the page so
everyone can see for themselves? Portraying yourself as a victim is odd for
sure, since you’re the one who enjoys talking about your “immoral” past.
Can you drop this once and for all?

The point I was making was that just over a year ago, you decided to bring up a post from, probably, 10+ years ago (which is buried in thousands of pages of this thread...and I couldn’t find it) describing details of my personal life that I probably wouldn’t like to have all these people know about. The reason you did it was to discredit my political opinion...which you obviously disagree with. To try to discredit me and shame me with personal things that I stupidly posted a decade ago like that just because you disagreed with my political opinion is petty and, yes, it’s bullying. Now that we’ve cleared the air on exactly what happened here, yes, we can drop it. I have a right to post here without my personal history being brought up Like that.

ltsmotorsport
Mar 29, 2018, 4:44 AM
Ok, so now that that's settled...

Back to the fun stuff. Thanks for the pictures, Serg. I frequently drive by these sites myself and have been keeping up on their progress too. There's many other smaller projects under construction too: F between 20th and 21st; T between 18th and 19th; Tomato Alley between 8th and 9th; 15th and T, Broadway and Yale, etc.

Medium size include Ice Blocks, Q19, 16th and H...others that are u/c?

creamcityleo79
Mar 29, 2018, 2:37 PM
Ok, so now that that's settled...

Back to the fun stuff. Thanks for the pictures, Serg. I frequently drive by these sites myself and have been keeping up on their progress too. There's many other smaller projects under construction too: F between 20th and 21st; T between 18th and 19th; Tomato Alley between 8th and 9th; 15th and T, Broadway and Yale, etc.

Medium size include Ice Blocks, Q19, 16th and H...others that are u/c?

I'll be back in Sacramento in September for the first time since 2015 and I can't WAIT to see the all the new developments and changes!!!

ltsmotorsport
Mar 29, 2018, 7:41 PM
Yeah, those were just midtown and adjacent. Oak Park has a good deal of new construction as well. Also forgot the B Street Theatre is almost done and hosting shows at 27th and Capitol, and as some have said earlier, the hotel next door at 28th and Cap should start late spring/early summer I would presume.

snfenoc
Mar 30, 2018, 12:42 AM
I just read in the SBJ that the Cresleigh/CADA project at 14th and N streets is up for approval in June. If all goes well, it should start Q1 2019. The developers think the project is viable, but the concrete construction method is getting more expensive. Still, they think there should be enough luxury buyers out there to build.

ozone
Mar 30, 2018, 5:28 AM
Yeah, those were just midtown and adjacent. Oak Park has a good deal of new construction as well. Also forgot the B Street Theatre is almost done and hosting shows at 27th and Capitol, and as some have said earlier, the hotel next door at 28th and Cap should start late spring/early summer I would presume.

The new B Street Theater, or The Sofia as it is now called, has been open for little more than month I believe.

ThatDarnSacramentan
Mar 30, 2018, 5:32 AM
Crane's up for 19J. Really stood out and caught me off guard driving down J today.

Dieler
Mar 30, 2018, 9:09 PM
I just read in the SBJ that the Cresleigh/CADA project at 14th and N streets is up for approval in June. If all goes well, it should start Q1 2019. The developers think the project is viable, but the concrete construction method is getting more expensive. Still, they think there should be enough luxury buyers out there to build.

What is the approval process that is required for this CADA project? I understand that the project went before the Planning Commission last week, but their review is only advisory.

snfenoc
Mar 30, 2018, 10:30 PM
I think the CADA board has to approve it.

snfenoc
Mar 30, 2018, 11:52 PM
Just read another SBJ article - Per the Paragary Facebook page, the final day for Cafe Bernardo and Monkey Bar (on 28th and Capitol) is April 1. I presume this is so construction of the 6-story hotel can begin? However, they have not yet chosen a brand for the hotel. This concerns me a little...shouldn’t they have a hotel franchise by now?

SacSFChi
Apr 1, 2018, 5:04 AM
I'll be back in Sacramento in September for the first time since 2015 and I can't WAIT to see the all the new developments and changes!!!

Hey Leo, let me know when your plans firm up. Will be glad to chauffeur you around the sites. -Steve

downtownserg89
Apr 1, 2018, 9:15 PM
Hey Leo, let me know when your plans firm up. Will be glad to chauffeur you around the sites. -Steve

Woah, would it be rude to ask to tag along on this? This is the kind of stuff I wish I could do with my buddies but they have zero interest in buildings and renovations.

creamcityleo79
Apr 2, 2018, 2:23 PM

Thanks! I'll see if we'll have time. I plan on giving my husband the full Northern California experience. Last time we were there, we drove and didn't have as much time. This time, we're flying. So, I plan on hitting up the Redwoods, SF, Monterey, Lake Tahoe, and leaving a couple days for Sacramento. Thanks again for the offer. I'll keep you posted! :)

...and Serg, if we do meet up, I'm glad to have you tag along! :)

NickB1967
Apr 4, 2018, 4:08 PM
http://pmasacramento.com/doneImages/t9.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iflb32pX7Dw/Re9gThnmREI/AAAAAAAAAJU/r9doEGklKNA/s400/T9.JPG

Also, do you guys know if Township Nine will be built out? The last time I heard from them was 2017 when the developers filed for bankruptcy, although I think I read somewhere that they would begin development again but that never happened. Perhaps the Railyard development might add some competition to Township 9 and pressure the new developers to build?

Thanks for the drawings!

But no connecting Truxel Road Bridge. :(