PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Proposal/Approval/Construction Thread - III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

yolonative
Sep 28, 2016, 4:58 PM
Townhomes starting construction on 20th and Q

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/landoffrost/Mobile%20Uploads/3A54A9ED-FF10-49A0-8575-43871F546340_zps2w8a9kqo.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/landoffrost/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3A54A9ED-FF10-49A0-8575-43871F546340_zps2w8a9kqo.jpg.html)

What is the ticker referring to on their website? Has to be days until sale begins, right?

https://20pqr.com/

enigma99a
Sep 28, 2016, 9:03 PM
LOL..

Whole Foods cancels lease for midtown Sacramento store

Whole Foods Market will not be coming to midtown Sacramento after all.

A spokeswoman for the Austin-based grocery chain said in an email to The Sacramento Bee on Wednesday that the lease with developer Pappas Investments has been terminated.

“Unfortunately, following a series of timing challenges we faced with the landlord, Whole Foods Market opted to terminate the lease for our Midtown Sacramento store. We remain committed to finding the right site in Sacramento, but have not secured a location yet,” spokeswoman Beth Krauss said.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article104713441.html#storylink=cpy

Korey
Sep 28, 2016, 9:45 PM
I thought something smelled fishy with that one. Damn. I bet Sac Co-Op is happy though, haha.

urban_encounter
Sep 29, 2016, 1:00 AM
The project's residential component being reduced in size and the withdrawal of Whole Foods from the proposal should come as no surprise. I just wrote the other day on this forum that it remained to be seen whether the project would ever get built.

(That's Sacramento after all, where even mediocre projects often go to die.)

On the bright side, maybe they can attract a Nugget Market or Sprouts. In any case, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Majin
Sep 29, 2016, 1:03 AM
Whole Foods probably fed up with all of the delays, IIRC from the original articles from 2014 it was suppose to start over a year ago but the parking garage hasn't even been razed yet.

I still fail to understand why shit can't get build here on schedule. The demand and price component is definitely there.

sacamenna kid
Sep 29, 2016, 3:52 AM
Whole Foods probably fed up with all of the delays, IIRC from the original articles from 2014 it was suppose to start over a year ago but the parking garage hasn't even been razed yet.

I still fail to understand why shit can't get build here on schedule. The demand and price component is definitely there.

This is what happens in a third-tier wannabe ville that will always be Jay-vee. Such an incredible lack of competence, top-tier professionalism, and ability to carry through. Poor, sad Sacramento.

ltsmotorsport
Sep 29, 2016, 4:24 AM
Doesn't sound like the city per se, but an unorganized developer who didn't meet timing milestones...at least from what the Bee article is saying.

In a larger sense, I agree with what others have said that we compete with a larger region for capital and labor to get these projects out of the ground. It seems lenders need to have more confidence in Sacramento infill projects to get them built more quickly.

snfenoc
Sep 29, 2016, 3:16 PM
At least we still get the parking garage!!! yay.

The benefits of a new arena.

snfenoc
Sep 29, 2016, 7:07 PM
Doesn't sound like the city per se, but an unorganized developer who didn't meet timing milestones...at least from what the Bee article is saying.

In a larger sense, I agree with what others have said that we compete with a larger region for capital and labor to get these projects out of the ground. It seems lenders need to have more confidence in Sacramento infill projects to get them built more quickly.

I think you sum it up well. It's a nice project, but our competition is too stiff. I don't blame the major parties. Pappas likely can't get the funding in a reasonable time frame, because of skittish and skeptical investors. Also, I think Whole Foods truly wants to be in or near Midtown. But they aren't going to sit around and wait wait for this to get built. It could take years beyond multiple we've already waited.

Finally, while I understand it's a good idea to replace the lost parking first, I do think it's a convenient excuse. With the cost of parking skyrocketing as demand increases, I question how motivated and committed the developer and investors are to complete Phase 2. I think they'd be perfectly content with a new garage for displaced, non G1C visitors and some retail space.

Majin
Sep 29, 2016, 7:17 PM
because of skittish and skeptical investors

Why? Every mixed used project in midtown over the past decade has had no issues leasing, rents are increasing, demand is increasing. What risk is there these days?

urban_encounter
Sep 29, 2016, 8:41 PM
At least we still get the parking garage!!! yay.

The benefits of a new arena.

The new arena is one of the few things Sacramento has going for it on the development front. It may very well be the catalyst for growth downtown during the next economic recovery cycle.

Too bad really because most of the economic recovery has mostly skipped downtown Sacramento following the "Great Recession" with the exception of the arena and Kimpton hotel.

But healthy economy or not, it's pretty clear neither lenders nor developers are willing to finance and build the kind of residential projects we see in SF, LA, SD, Austin or Portland. It's just not that kind of market and likely never will be because of the costs associated with such projects. Simply put, it's just cheaper to build in Natomas than it is in Sacramento's downtown (or midtown) and there's much less hassle from NIMBYs in the burbs compared to Sacramento's central city.

urban_encounter
Sep 29, 2016, 8:50 PM
Why? Every mixed used project in midtown over the past decade has had no issues leasing, rents are increasing, demand is increasing. What risk is there these days?

There's not enough development money in Sacramento for those kind of projects. As long as out of town developers can build projects in LA, SF, and SD and make (a lot) more money for the same amount of development hassle, they won't even consider Sacramento's central city.

wburg
Sep 29, 2016, 9:16 PM
Too bad really because most of the economic recovery has mostly skipped downtown Sacramento following the "Great Recession" with the exception of the arena and Kimpton hotel.

The economic recovery mostly skipped every part of Sacramento except the central city--1400 new housing units in the past five years, on a new housing units per mile basis, that puts us on a par with San Francisco. It's obvious to anyone who spends time in downtown/midtown and travels more than a couple blocks from the arena site.

But healthy economy or not, it's pretty clear neither lenders nor developers are willing to finance and build the kind of residential projects we see in SF, LA, SD, Austin or Portland. It's just not that kind of market and likely never will be because of the costs associated with such projects. Simply put, it's just cheaper to build in Natomas than it is in Sacramento's downtown (or midtown) and there's much less hassle from NIMBYs in the burbs compared to Sacramento's central city.

Tell that to Paul Petrovich. And the flood moratorium did more to stop development than neighborhood activists could every hope to do to stop development in North Natomas--it took another drought to get that moratorium rescinded, we'll see how nature responds in the next few years.

I think we'll see some of the kind of residential projects seen in all of those cities--but largely of the small-infill, mid-rise, wood-on-concrete-podium "Texas Donut", adaptive reuse, and other forms like the ones we've seen so far, and maybe a few more high-rises downtown in the CBD--hopefully some residential ones. But probably not the sort of skyline-busting stuff like the one currently sinking into the ground and leaning over in San Francisco.

Majin
Sep 29, 2016, 10:16 PM
There's not enough development money in Sacramento for those kind of projects. As long as out of town developers can build projects in LA, SF, and SD and make (a lot) more money for the same amount of development hassle, they won't even consider Sacramento's central city.

That still doesn't make sense. You can make a lot more money in LA and SF than almost every city in the country. Sacramento has higher rental prices than a lot of places and higher demand. I just posted that chart that YOY increases in Sacramento are more than every other city. Yes you can argue the money isnt here, but my question is why given that other cities with LOWER rental cost and LOWER demand see more construction than us.

snfenoc
Sep 29, 2016, 10:41 PM
That still doesn't make sense. You can make a lot more money in LA and SF than almost every city in the country. Sacramento has higher rental prices than a lot of places and higher demand. I just posted that chart that YOY increases in Sacramento are more than every other city. Yes you can argue the money isnt here, but my question is why given that other cities with LOWER rental cost and LOWER demand see more construction than us.

Competition from the SF Bay area?

I'm not saying residential and mixed-use projects cannot get built in the grid. I'm merely opining that larger, more risky projects, such as the Whole Foods, likely have trouble getting financed. Sacramento rents and sales are skyrocketing, and that's great for property owners. However, are those rents and sales prices high enough to justify risking lots of money building the larger, exciting projects most of us want to see? Keep in mind, they Bay Area is just an hour or two away.

Certainly, a few large projects will get built. But, as Sacramento's history has shown, more plans will get tabled than completed. A basic plan for grocery and residential at that site has been kicked around for a while. Too long. We're well into this supposed recovery, and only the parking garage is getting built. What does that tell you? What does it tell Whole Foods? It looks like they simply got tired of waiting and figured they better find a less-complicated way into the central city.

urban_encounter
Oct 1, 2016, 3:35 AM
--1400 new housing units in the past five years, on a new housing units per mile basis, that puts us on a par with San Francisco.

The city of Sacramento (entirely) is not on par with San Francisco residential construction, to say nothing of the central city. To even suggest that is comical.
You can word play all you want with the "housing units per mile basis" but Sacramento isn't even in the same league as San Francisco in terms of residential construction. There were 6,000 units under construction in SF alone in 2014.

wburg
Oct 2, 2016, 5:09 PM
The city of Sacramento (entirely) is not on par with San Francisco residential construction, to say nothing of the central city. To even suggest that is comical.
You can word play all you want with the "housing units per mile basis" but Sacramento isn't even in the same league as San Francisco in terms of residential construction. There were 6,000 units under construction in SF alone in 2014.

That's why I was focusing just on the central city, not on the entire city. People say "There's nothing being built in downtown/midtown" but if you actually look at the number of projects, there is as much going on there as there is in San Francisco--and almost nothing going on outside that 5% of the city. My question is, when is the rest of the city of Sacramento going to catch up with its own urban core? Or is that 5% of the city expected to shoulder all the growth? I'm not defending the city of Sacramento here, rather, I am challenging it.

ozone
Oct 2, 2016, 7:34 PM
I'm not even going to get involved in the argument above because it involves an individual who actively works against urban infill that he and his band of *self-appointed* arbitrators of proper urban planning and good taste deem unacceptable. In my book this pretty much makes his participation here completely disingenuous.

Now some the complaints made lately sound a little like butthurt fanboys. It's true that there are no skyscrapers being built but there is plenty of other stuff going on around town that just doesn't get the press or even much notice on this board. Not only new infill (like the Ice Blocks), but a lot of upgrading of existing properties which helps to improve the over-all quality of life. The demise of the Whole Foods deal is not a big deal IMO, at least from the consumer standpoint. A lot of what they offer can be found at the Co-Op and with a similar price point. The other stuff they offer is kind of superfluous in this neighborhood. I'd much rather see a real gourmet market or even a lower-cost organic/heath food market like Sprout's go in there. But honestly it's not the best place for a large grocery store anyway.

Justbuildit
Oct 3, 2016, 10:48 PM
I was looking in Wikipedia viewing the towers proposed for Sacramento. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Sacramento They have the height of the Capitol Grand Tower at 1,210 feet, tallest outside of NY and Chicago in the US. Wondering if someone is joking around or is this tower actually going to get built? Before that it was 1,100 feet which would tie the Wilshire Grand in LA, then someone recently adjusted it to 1,210 feet, but I can't verify that anywhere else online.

Man, that would be awesome if Sacramento had the tallest in the US outside of NY and Chicago. I don't know if there is any height restrictions downtown, so that could one day be a possibility. :slob:

https://s16.postimg.org/cx2jox2dh/4606_capitol_grand_tower.jpg

enigma99a
Oct 4, 2016, 5:37 AM
I was looking in Wikipedia viewing the towers proposed for Sacramento. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Sacramento They have the height of the Capitol Grand Tower at 1,210 feet, tallest outside of NY and Chicago in the US. Wondering if someone is joking around or is this tower actually going to get built? Before that it was 1,100 feet which would tie the Wilshire Grand in LA, then someone recently adjusted it to 1,210 feet, but I can't verify that anywhere else online.

Man, that would be awesome if Sacramento had the tallest in the US outside of NY and Chicago. I don't know if there is any height restrictions downtown, so that could one day be a possibility. :slob:

Last I heard was 965' (10 years ago). And no it's not getting built any time soon unless mohanna has $250+ million in funding secured.

Korey
Oct 4, 2016, 4:59 PM
Hell, let's get something over 300 feet built first.

Justbuildit
Oct 4, 2016, 6:33 PM
Hell, let's get something over 300 feet built first.

The new hotel being constructed near the arena is going to be 339 feet according to Wikipedia. But yeah, if they built the Capitol Grand Tower now Sacramento skyline would look weird like Oklahoma City with their one 844 feet tower rising above all the short buildings. A city shouldn't get a tower topping 1,000 feet unless they first build some 600 and 700 feet towers.

https://s14.postimg.org/utk3921zl/7246739044_2bc839ee59_b.jpg

northbay
Oct 4, 2016, 7:26 PM
I don't think that looks bad. It would look better if it was in the middle of the cluster, but if Sac had one tall tower I think that would still look good. Just my personal opinion.

Korey
Oct 4, 2016, 8:24 PM
Hahah I was thinking specifically of OKC and Devon Tower too. It is a beautiful building and doesn't drag down the skyline per se, but it it a bit out of scale with the rest.

Justbuildit
Oct 4, 2016, 11:44 PM
Devon Energy Tower is one of my favorite towers in America actually. That is one sweet tower for sure. One day I was searching Wikipedia for the tallest towers in America and I came across this tower and I was like "what the hell? How the *&%$ did OKC get a skyscraper like that?" Their pathetic skyline doesn't even come close to deserving an addition that spectacular. It's like some ugly slob guy getting a date with a supermodel. :haha:

That's a tower that belongs in Seattle just like the Thunder (Supersonics). After OKC got the Thunder out of Seattle they built this tower, so maybe Sacramento, now that they got the new arena downtown and Kings are staying here, not Seattle, we might see our own Devon Energy type tower rising as well hopefully. :yes: Funny how both Sacramento and OKC have a bad connection with Seattle. So that's why I think it's possible this could happen here in the next few years. Just follow in the footsteps of OKC. :tup:

enigma99a
Oct 5, 2016, 12:16 AM
That's a tower that belongs in Seattle just like the Thunder (Supersonics). After OKC got the Thunder out of Seattle they built this tower, so maybe Sacramento, now that they got the new arena downtown and Kings are staying here, not Seattle, we might see our own Devon Energy type tower rising as well hopefully. :yes: Funny how both Sacramento and OKC have a bad connection with Seattle. So that's why I think it's possible this could happen here in the next few years. Just follow in the footsteps of OKC. :tup:

And OKC isn't 80 miles from SF. That's one of our biggest issues :)

Justbuildit
Oct 5, 2016, 12:21 AM
https://s14.postimg.org/kf0iopo3l/9411102125_bcc21952cb_z.jpg

Just follow in the footsteps of OKC Sacramento.

Justbuildit
Oct 5, 2016, 12:57 AM
And OKC isn't 80 miles from SF. That's one of our biggest issues :)

That's B.S. Why does SF get to hog all the tall buildings? Especially when it would be safer to build them in Sacramento without them sinking into the earth, less earthquake prone. At least give us one super tall. :hell:

Pistola916
Oct 5, 2016, 2:32 AM
That's B.S. Why does SF get to hog all the tall buildings? Especially when it would be safer to build them in Sacramento without them sinking into the earth, less earthquake prone. At least give us one super tall. :hell:

No Fortune 500 companies in Sac.

I'm not looking for Sac to have one super tall, honestly. If it someday happens, great. But I rather have several 300-430 foot high-rises that adds to the CBD's density and urban scale.

I'm looking forward to seeing the modifications to the Vanir Tower.

urban_encounter
Oct 5, 2016, 4:29 AM
Sacramento will always be my hometown so I'm always hoping to see it reach its potential without losing its character. A skyline looks great but honestly I'm more interested in high density housing whether it's mid or high rise in the central city. The ground level pedestrian activity is the most important factor in creating safe and vibrant urban centers. Light rail, the Sacramento Valley Station, Golden 1 Center and a renovated Community Center Theater all contribute (or will contribute in the future) to making the central city a more attractive place to live. Hopefully in a few years, Sacramento will add a new MLS stadium and team.

I'm doubtful that Sacramento will ever see anything built over 500 ft in height. There just isn't a commercial necessity for more high rise office buildings in Sacramento. Maybe a residential proposal will eventually get built between the 300-400 ft range, but I wouldn't expect anything much beyond that. Honestly even that would be a huge win for Sacramento. The Sacramento market still needs to prove that midrise and high rise residential buildings can work in Sacramento (pencil out). That's why the future of the Yamanee is so critical for Sacramento.

Still, I'm doubtful it will happen anytime soon.

urban_encounter
Oct 5, 2016, 4:43 AM

Yeah that's an old rumor (not even a solid proposal). A tower that tall would look out of place on Sacramento's (very modest) skyline. I think 550 ft. would be a good (max) height for a new tallest. (Although I think even that height is unlikely in Sacramento because there's no market for it).

Justbuildit
Oct 11, 2016, 4:21 PM
Well, at least Sacramento has a more impressive skyline than Washington D.C. when it comes to height. D.C. doesn't have a building over 300 feet. I always found it funny that the capital California had a more impressive skyline than the capital of America. :haha:

202_Cyclist
Oct 11, 2016, 5:42 PM
Well, at least Sacramento has a more impressive skyline than Washington D.C. when it comes to height. D.C. doesn't have a building over 300 feet. I always found it funny that the capital California had a more impressive skyline than the capital of America. :haha:

No, with limited exceptions, we don't have buildings over 130 feet in DC.

Here is some background: Height_of_Buildings_Act_of_1910.

yolonative
Oct 19, 2016, 6:14 PM
"Sacramento Kings plan apartments, shops on vacant, blighted K Street block":

http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article109006682.html

Conceptual plans for the site call for a new mid-rise apartment building filling the empty lot at Eighth and K and extending to L Street, according to a city staff report.

Mid-rise at 800 K seems quite underwhelming. There should be another Yamanee-sized proposal (at least), at such a prime location.

Majin
Oct 19, 2016, 8:04 PM
"Sacramento Kings plan apartments, shops on vacant, blighted K Street block":

http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article109006682.html

Mid-rise at 800 K seems quite underwhelming. There should be another Yamanee-sized proposal (at least), at such a prime location.

I agree, it better not be another 5 story wood framed midtown type of apartment building. We have lots of those already we don't need another one downtown. Maybe the the proposal won't get past the planning commission if it's not dense enough?

urban_encounter
Oct 21, 2016, 5:10 AM
I agree, it better not be another 5 story wood framed midtown type of apartment building. We have lots of those already we don't need another one downtown. Maybe the the proposal won't get past the planning commission if it's not dense enough?

As long as the Kings are willing to construct quality residential projects in Downtown Sacramento, I wouldn't get picky in terms of the building height. It likely will be a proposal in the 5-6 story range. Five or six stories may not look impressive on the skyline but more importantly, it will increase pedestrian traffic in the J, K L street corridors.

I suspect that (IF) a high rise residential tower ever gets built in Sacramento, it might be David Taylor who ends up taking the first crack at developing it. But I wouldn't expect anything from Taylor (in terms of proposals) for a few more years.

enigma99a
Oct 22, 2016, 7:32 AM
As long as the Kings are willing to construct quality residential projects in Downtown Sacramento, I wouldn't get picky in terms of the building height. It likely will be a proposal in the 5-6 story range. Five or six stories may not look impressive on the skyline but more importantly, it will increase pedestrian traffic in the J, K L street corridors.

I suspect that (IF) a high rise residential tower ever gets built in Sacramento, it might be David Taylor who ends up taking the first crack at developing it. But I wouldn't expect anything from Taylor (in terms of proposals) for a few more years.

Meh put me on the anti 5-6 story list. They can do better. Let's see something like the failed cathedral tower

urban_encounter
Oct 22, 2016, 9:53 PM
Meh put me on the anti 5-6 story list. They can do better. Let's see something like the failed cathedral tower

I agree it would make for a more visually satisfying skyline if they were to be something taller but that's just not going to happen in Sacramento for the foreseeable future. Builders just don't think it would pencil out.
How many people in Sacramento would pay the kind of prices that developers would need to take in to make it happen, is anyone's guess.

kamehameha
Oct 25, 2016, 5:53 PM
$800K for a 1 bedroom condo unit and a $600 homeowner's fee in Sacramento? I don't think so.

LandofFrost
Oct 26, 2016, 3:55 PM
$800K for a 1 bedroom condo unit and a $600 homeowner's fee in Sacramento? I don't think so.

That is an exaggeration lol. I just viewed the nicest condos ever built in downtown Sacramento right next to Zocalo on 18th and Capital ave. The largest unit, steel built, 11 foot ceilings, 2 bedrooms, private spa and private deck, covered parking, an elevator and the most beautiful modern cabinets and bathrooms ( I have seen outside SF) sold for $900,000.

urban_encounter
Oct 26, 2016, 9:46 PM

I honestly think that there are more than a few people who might be willing to ante up a higher price point if the right project came along. But I don't think there would be enough people to justify a 50 story residential tower. That's why I think a mid rise proposal (like the Yamanee in midtown) is so important. It wouldn't be wood or prefabricated construction and therefore might help demonstrate whether the market is able to support larger projects.

But in all honestly it's all just speculation on my part. I'm usually wrong when I make assumptions about the market there. lol

Majin
Nov 2, 2016, 5:35 PM
So, what exactly are developers waiting for? Or maybe I should ask what are banks waiting for?

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2016/11/02/local-apartment-rent-growth-more-than-2-5-times.html

Korey
Nov 2, 2016, 8:44 PM
Pick one Majin:

1. It's just not penciling out for the developers.

2. The Bay Area is stealing all of our project funding.

LandofFrost
Nov 2, 2016, 10:25 PM
So, what exactly are developers waiting for? Or maybe I should ask what are banks waiting for?

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2016/11/02/local-apartment-rent-growth-more-than-2-5-times.html

The vacancy rate in midtown, including all the new expensive apartments is less than 5%. The projects pencil out fine at current and anticipated rents in Sacramento.

I'm beginning to think the real problem is a lack of experienced construction teams in the area, ready to build. This seems especially the case after the whole foods fell through.. banks and insurance companies would be salivating to build a project with that type of long term lease.

ozone
Nov 3, 2016, 3:10 PM
The vacancy rate in midtown, including all the new expensive apartments is less than 5%. The projects pencil out fine at current and anticipated rents in Sacramento.

I'm beginning to think the real problem is a lack of experienced construction teams in the area, ready to build. This seems especially the case after the whole foods fell through.. banks and insurance companies would be salivating to build a project with that type of long term lease.

^^^ what I've been saying all along.

urbanadvocate
Nov 3, 2016, 5:58 PM

Completely agree--developers in particular here are not very savy (really cannot think outside their small box) and are very conservative. The projects are being build from outside OR from a new younger generation. God there needs to be a changing of the guard--can't happen soon enough.

Korey
Nov 4, 2016, 4:03 PM
Is it just that the local developers don't have the capacity or leverage? Fulcrum, D&S, CFY, Petrovich, the Bardis daughters, Heller Pacific. All have something going on right now, right? Maybe they don't have the people/$ to take on more, in which case we are reliant on outside developers past a point. Sure wish we could see The Metropolitan go up this cycle, maybe if the economic expansion last another couple years.

At least we are ready for it. I think that being off the radar has helped Sac in a lot of ways. We have grown organically and built a good foundation. It's like the MLS team, we have all of the pieces in place, just waiting for the OK.

innov8
Nov 4, 2016, 4:56 PM
What’s going on with the Vanir Tower on J Street. It was proposed two years ago in
November 2014, yet nothing has been submitted to the Planning and Design Commission
even though a news report in November of last year said it could be built taller.
Just some renderings, nothing more.

yolonative
Nov 11, 2016, 12:29 AM
"Kings moving to next steps on properties in downtown, Natomas":
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2016/11/10/exclusive-kings-moving-to-next-steps-on-properties.html

While the team is in a due diligence period to close escrow on those properties by year’s end, the turnaround to construction could be brief. As soon as next summer, work could begin on a six-story mixed-use project on the southeast corner of 8th and K. Also, new mid-rise wraparound residential construction could start from the northeast corner of 8th and L and extend east, while rehab would start on the Bel-Vue Apartments on 8th to the north of the corner. Developer Ali Youssefi, of CFY Development Inc., is partnering with the Kings on the Bel-Vue portion of the project.

The resulting project — with an 18- to 24-month timeline — would include 148 upscale rental apartments, 22 affordable apartments in the former Bel-Vue, and about 20,000 square feet of ground-level retail space.

Other than the six-story height of the 8th and K project, sounds pretty cool.

Majin
Nov 11, 2016, 5:54 PM
I'm so distraught about the election I don't even care anymore.

creamcityleo79
Nov 16, 2016, 2:33 PM

You guys are so lucky to live in California! The state has a lot of power compared to tiny, just-a-shade-bluer-than-purple Minnesota! I'm really jealous of anyone who lives there right now! I miss my home state. My only saving grace is that I live in the ultra-blue, relatively safe bubble of the Twin Cities. But, man, would it be good to be in California right about now!

CastleScott
Nov 18, 2016, 1:41 AM
You guys are so lucky to live in California! The state has a lot of power compared to tiny, just-a-shade-bluer-than-purple Minnesota! I'm really jealous of anyone who lives there right now! I miss my home state. My only saving grace is that I live in the ultra-blue, relatively safe bubble of the Twin Cities. But, man, would it be good to be in California right about now!

I kinda understand what you mean, I moved to Sacramento 2 yrs ago and love it-don't miss the Denver cold although I do miss the Colorado thunderstorms..:)

Minnesota is a beautiful state though-been through there a few times.

Korey
Nov 18, 2016, 4:36 PM
I love thunderstorms, even the Sierra rarely gets them unfortunately, let alone the Valley. Although if the trade-off is no Mediterranean weather I suppose I can accept it. I have family in Arizona and the monsoon season with lighting striking all over the desert floor was always stunning.

creamcityleo79, I suppose it does get pretty whacko red out of the cities (Michele Bachmann case in point) but the Twin Cities is admirably progressive and the whole state really kicks ass on many important metrics. Schools, parks, economy, voter participation, etc.

But yeah, feels good to be somewhat protected in our California bubble right now. Plus legal weed and maybe this drought will come to an end. I think the state and our cities will continue to invest in infrastructure with or without federal help, and our state environmental legislation will be protected at the current level or greater. I think people will be surprised at the push-back on bad environmental policy that is inevitably coming. Thankfully California seems to be a leader in this area.

creamcityleo79
Nov 26, 2016, 3:19 PM
I love thunderstorms, even the Sierra rarely gets them unfortunately, let alone the Valley. Although if the trade-off is no Mediterranean weather I suppose I can accept it. I have family in Arizona and the monsoon season with lighting striking all over the desert floor was always stunning.

creamcityleo79, I suppose it does get pretty whacko red out of the cities (Michele Bachmann case in point) but the Twin Cities is admirably progressive and the whole state really kicks ass on many important metrics. Schools, parks, economy, voter participation, etc.

But yeah, feels good to be somewhat protected in our California bubble right now. Plus legal weed and maybe this drought will come to an end. I think the state and our cities will continue to invest in infrastructure with or without federal help, and our state environmental legislation will be protected at the current level or greater. I think people will be surprised at the push-back on bad environmental policy that is inevitably coming. Thankfully California seems to be a leader in this area.

Yes, the Twin Cities bubble is very real and pretty far reaching into the suburbs (unlike Sacramento, where Placer and El Dorado Counties went red...along with most of the suburbs of NE Sacramento County). But, the cities are not the rest of the state and we needed no starker reminder that the backwoods, Midwest bumpkins we thought were mostly over in Wisconsin are actually just a few miles outside our beltway (nearly every city in our metro voted for Hillary...with a few exceptions on the far outer edges...and it was mostly very close out there)...and some of them are angry, hateful folks. Here in the cities, we have resoundingly rejected the bigotry that we've seen in other parts of the country. I just worry about the next Midterm election when all those angry bigots get out to vote again for our governor. Unlike California, which will most likely be in the safe hands of Antonio Villaraigosa or Gavin Newsom (maybe even with the two of them competing against each other in the general election), we have air tight races in our Midterms with the Republicans historically having way better chances. I'm scared for those two years when we don't have our guy at the top embracing diversity and protecting our immigrant, minority, and LGBTQ populations from Trump's team of oppressors. I only hope the blue bubble is mad enough and motivated enough to get out and vote in greater numbers than the angry bigots in the farms beyond our bubble...otherwise, you may see my husband and I headed for the hills...most likely the Santa Ana foothills as we can transfer with our company to Irvine. ;)

Dudeski
Nov 29, 2016, 6:50 PM
Yes, the Twin Cities bubble is very real and pretty far reaching into the suburbs (unlike Sacramento, where Placer and El Dorado Counties went red...along with most of the suburbs of NE Sacramento County). But, the cities are not the rest of the state and we needed no starker reminder that the backwoods, Midwest bumpkins we thought were mostly over in Wisconsin are actually just a few miles outside our beltway (nearly every city in our metro voted for Hillary...with a few exceptions on the far outer edges...and it was mostly very close out there)...and some of them are angry, hateful folks. Here in the cities, we have resoundingly rejected the bigotry that we've seen in other parts of the country. I just worry about the next Midterm election when all those angry bigots get out to vote again for our governor. Unlike California, which will most likely be in the safe hands of Antonio Villaraigosa or Gavin Newsom (maybe even with the two of them competing against each other in the general election), we have air tight races in our Midterms with the Republicans historically having way better chances. I'm scared for those two years when we don't have our guy at the top embracing diversity and protecting our immigrant, minority, and LGBTQ populations from Trump's team of oppressors. I only hope the blue bubble is mad enough and motivated enough to get out and vote in greater numbers than the angry bigots in the farms beyond our bubble...otherwise, you may see my husband and I headed for the hills...most likely the Santa Ana foothills as we can transfer with our company to Irvine. ;)

Wow, the hypocrisy and narrow minded comments in this message is quite interesting.

CAGeoNerd
Nov 30, 2016, 12:41 AM

The midterms will actually be better than if Hillary were elected, if that's any saving grace. If Hillary was elected the right would be more motivated, liberals would be more apathetic/stay home, and she/Democrats would get more of the blame for the sorry state of the country and we'd see even larger Republican majorities grow. Trump and Republicans in control of Congress will motivate more liberals to go to the polls in the midterms, and more others vote against them if things are worse (which more than likely will be the case with the policies they are implementing).

Also, I'm as progressive as they come, but this fear of Trump hating the LGBTQ community is baseless. Trump hasn't made comments against LGBTQ, in fact he's been inclusive and tolerant in that area. The people like Pence and other Republicans in his cabinet/Congress, however, are another matter, certainly. But Trump has no problem with the LGBTQ community. As a liberal it irks me having to defend Trump...

There are lots of conservatives in cities and lots of liberals in the rural areas of California; it's just a different proportion in different places. To make blanket generalizations is not wise. Just my two cents.

innov8
Nov 30, 2016, 11:44 PM
Wow, the hypocrisy and narrow minded comments in this message is quite interesting.

This should not surprise anyone; this is what creamcityleo79 does best.
He does not know much about urban development or construction, but he loves
to gets up on his soapbox and preach about morality while using a
flamethrower to hate anyone not like him.

We should be grateful though, back when his screen name was Newhickman79
he would indulge us with stories about his many escapades looking for love on
the levees north of downtown. I think the moderator had to shut that down, as
most people don’t come here to read that garbage.

ozone
Dec 1, 2016, 2:45 AM
I wish we could get this thread back on topic. There is construction going on in Sacramento like the Ice Block and new arena hotel. I'm in Asia at the moment or I'd snap some pics. Maybe someone can update us?

Dudeski
Dec 1, 2016, 6:20 PM

Ok, that makes sense now. I rarely post here but felt compelled when I see something so two-faced. I've always been fascinated with high rise construction so I come here now and then to keep up, learn and look at pics but have always been a suburban "bumpkin" I guess? Next week I travel to SF for work and I am always in awe and amazed at the site of the skyline coming over the bay bridge. Especially with the new additions. It's amazing what humans can build and though crowded its beautiful in its own way. Unfortunately once in the city I'm just amazed at how badly those open minded, tolerant, anti-bumpkin minded progressives have turned what could be a truly beautiful city into an S hole. But I digress...as Ozone said, back to construction.

creamcityleo79
Dec 1, 2016, 7:00 PM

I'm glad you took the opportunity to bully me after my post discussing the state of politics in Minnesota and the Midwest, which last I checked, you probably know nothing about. I didn't think that being an expert on urban development was a prerequisite for being a member of this site and I certainly didn't think expressing my fear of what will happen to gays and minorities the next 4 years and my very real assessment of SOME of the people who voted for Trump warranted you airing my dirty laundry and an embarrassing part of my life from well over a decade ago. But, then, I guess that says more about you than it does about me.

innov8
Dec 1, 2016, 8:20 PM
I'm glad you took the opportunity to bully me after my post discussing the state of politics in Minnesota and the Midwest, which last I checked, you probably know nothing about. I didn't think that being an expert on urban development was a prerequisite for being a member of this site and I certainly didn't think expressing my fear of what will happen to gays and minorities the next 4 years and my very real assessment of SOME of the people who voted for Trump warranted you airing my dirty laundry and an embarrassing part of my life from well over a decade ago. But, then, I guess that says more about you than it does about me.

Oh no, now you’re playing the victim? Really?

Let’s get this straight, you are the one who got a thrill about telling everyone
you enjoyed trolling the levee for love. This dirty laundry was something
you wanted to tell the world and you did and the moderator shut it down.

Myself and others asked why? Why here? There are other threads devoted
to off topics like this. For instance,"What's going on Sacramento" Chit-Chat (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=129677)
is a perfect place for this crap. If you want a bigger audience, please take to
the General Discussions - Skybar (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27). The Current Events section has
many threads devoted to politics, so please go there and preach to the choir.

Poor you. You can’t contribute to the thread subject so you hijack it for your personal soapbox.

snfenoc
Dec 1, 2016, 8:43 PM
Wow! I see all these new posts, and I think something cool is happening...NOT.

I think this is the result of cultural Marxism....everything is politicized. I just wanna watch in awe, appreciation and excitement as my hometown grows. I DON'T wish to read a bunch of crap from jerks who identify as X, Y and/or Z and then want their feelings indulged like entitled little children.

enigma99a
Dec 1, 2016, 10:28 PM
I wish we could get this thread back on topic. There is construction going on in Sacramento like the Ice Block and new arena hotel. I'm in Asia at the moment or I'd snap some pics. Maybe someone can update us?

Agree.

Korey
Dec 2, 2016, 6:12 PM

The Ice Blocks are looking good, all roofed and enclosed now. I think the Q & 19 development is prepping the site right now. What's the first phase of Yamanee and when should it start? I think they have to demo some buildings, right?

The Sawyer is on it's last or second to last floor. 700K is starting on the third floor I believe. The first concrete floor that sits in the back of the existing buildings along K St is done and the wood floor above. They're also doing roofwork on the existing buildings, I hope they keep the plan to have at least one rooftop deck.

Curtis Park (Crocker) Village has a few more townhomes being built. I think Petrovich is going to start in on the non-grocery retail but I'd imagine some potential tenants would want that issue settled before finalizing. I'm happy Raley's is close to starting in on their Freeport/Land Park center. Mckinley Village is full steam ahead, the freeway wall is complete, community center, and obviously tunnel under the tracks. Homes are probably a third done?

The townhomes near the Barn in West Sac are all done with exterior work, I think they'll start in on a planned apartment building next. The affordable housing development (6 stories I think) behind Raley Field is also topped out and enclosed.

The Mill off Broadway and The Creamery are full steam ahead. I still haven't checked out either although I'm more interested in the rooftop view from a Creamery unit.

http://imgur.com/Ekqsiso

That was taken mid-November I believe, they've been making good progress. I'll try to get some pics of the various developments sometime soon.

Lotta good stuff going on in the core. Have a good weekend folks.

downtownserg89
Dec 2, 2016, 6:25 PM
After checking this thread last night I decided to bring my camera along on my bike ride to Safeway. Snapped these pics on my way home. Here ya go!

Ice Blocks
18th & R
http://i.imgur.com/Fer5AYT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eDMyiMs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GvHXQhH.jpg

view from 17th & R

http://i.imgur.com/VsezA93.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cpDWJEX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NTnGm4F.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H2xCNam.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UDu4ECu.jpg

16th & R

http://i.imgur.com/CgOsqBg.jpg

Market 5-ONE-5
10th & R
http://i.imgur.com/ldbSubD.jpg

Progress on Amaro
11th & R
http://i.imgur.com/FgcfRzY.jpg

approaching 700 K project
http://i.imgur.com/OX7E17j.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/L0VThHr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QgTjaWT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mbLe6aJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5KbVZIH.jpg

Golden 1 Center + DoCo/Kimpton hotel
http://i.imgur.com/aaG7gkK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iZiH7qa.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Tyy0EUC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/62A7EQj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WlDc35w.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3S0hfC3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8nIkbzZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Hqsc8LU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wgGOMMF.jpg

Kaiser
5th & J
http://i.imgur.com/j7LpOYt.jpg

That's all, folks. Sorry if the photos aren't that great. I really need to learn how to adjust the settings on my camera for shooting buildings at night. I mainly use it to photograph people at nightclubs.

Jasonhouse
Dec 2, 2016, 7:38 PM
Awesome update which also returns the thread to its topic.

Please let's keep the various discussions in the appropriate threads.

yolonative
Dec 2, 2016, 9:25 PM
After checking this thread last night I decided to bring my camera along on my bike ride to Safeway. Snapped these pics on my way home. Here ya go!

Great stuff, thanks!

If anyone is ever curious to see the live shot of the Sawyer hotel, there's always this too:

http://www.docosacramento.com/view/live/

urban_encounter
Dec 3, 2016, 3:53 PM
Thank you for the photo tour Serg89.

There is activity going on (albeit even if it isn't the most glamorous) it's fun to see all the changes happening on K street. I'm a little disappointed in the Ice Blocks development though which seems to look extremely suburban. I realize it's not complete so maybe the finished product will blend a bit more with the character of the R street corridor once it's finished. It's too bad the fire demolished the character of the historic building.

I will be visiting Sacramento again in a couple weeks for the holidays and I'm looking forward to attending my first Kings game at the Golden 1 Center while I'm there. Hopefully Sacramento will be able to fill in some development holes near the new arena like 301 CM and the surface lot adjacent 621 CM. Maybe not immediately but again (hopefully) within the next 5-7 years.

Pistola916
Dec 3, 2016, 7:27 PM
What are the chances these midrises, which have been approved, get built in 2017? I'm excited but at the same time, wished they weren't spread out. Would have been cooler to see them 1 or 2 blocks of each other. Imagine if they were all on the 16th street corridor.

Yamanee
15th and Q
19th and J
Paragary Hotel

yolonative
Dec 5, 2016, 8:25 AM
I was stumbling around tonight and came across SKK Developments' website:

skkdevelopments.com (skkdevelopments.com/)

It seems to have been redone since I last looked at it a few months ago. I could be wrong about that, but in either case I came across a proposed project I've never heard of called JK1617. It's a hotel/condo project on J and 16th. See project proposal here, per their website:

http://skkdevelopments.com/files/2814/2144/0949/JK1617_Proposal.pdf

Is this an outdated proposal that has been forgotten, or something that isn't in the public eye yet?

SacTownAndy
Dec 5, 2016, 5:00 PM
I was stumbling around tonight and came across SKK Developments' website:

skkdevelopments.com (skkdevelopments.com/)

It seems to have been redone since I last looked at it a few months ago. I could be wrong about that, but in either case I came across a proposed project I've never heard of called JK1617. It's a hotel/condo project on J and 16th. See project proposal here, per their website:

http://skkdevelopments.com/files/2814/2144/0949/JK1617_Proposal.pdf

Is this an outdated proposal that has been forgotten, or something that isn't in the public eye yet?

On the first page of that pdf, it looks like it's dated 2007.

Surefiresacto
Dec 5, 2016, 5:03 PM

Yeah, it looks like the Marriott is under construction in the first pic.

yolonative
Dec 5, 2016, 6:27 PM

Ah, must have glossed over that as some project code or something when I first saw it. Then I guess their site is really out of date, or they still want to do this JK1617 at some point.

Their current projects list appears to be up-to-date though, with 20PQR, Q19, the Sac Bee building, so makes me wonder if it is the latter.

Justbuildit
Dec 5, 2016, 8:06 PM
https://s11.postimg.org/9ueel670j/transmogrify_rsr.jpg

Wow, that new hotel near the arena is looking like it will be a nice fill in for the skyline. :cheers: Does anyone know how tall it will actually reach? Crains look pretty high like its got a lot more climbing to do.

CAGeoNerd
Dec 5, 2016, 11:28 PM
https://s11.postimg.org/9ueel670j/transmogrify_rsr.jpg

Wow, that new hotel near the arena is looking like it will be a nice fill in for the skyline. :cheers: Does anyone know how tall it will actually reach? Crains look pretty high like its got a lot more climbing to do.

It's not going to be much higher, sorry to disappoint.

Pistola916
Dec 6, 2016, 12:20 AM

There down to the last two floors.

Justbuildit
Dec 6, 2016, 9:42 PM
There down to the last two floors.

Then why do they have the crain jacked up so high? Just to get me all pumped up for nothing. :haha:

SacSFChi
Dec 7, 2016, 6:30 AM
Then why do they have the crain jacked up so high? Just to get me all pumped up for nothing. :haha:

It appears that one crane is higher that the other in order to accommodate using both at the same time. There is rather limited set up space at street level for delivering supplies. With the new Kaiser satellite med center across the street getting a new facelift, the entrance to downtown via J Street will be more impressive.

NickB1967
Dec 12, 2016, 5:44 PM

Do those cranes come at a certain size to begin with? It does seem a lot higher than necessary and my question does seem like a logical explanation.

NickB1967
Dec 12, 2016, 5:47 PM

Really, Majin? As for the elections, I missed the brouhaha above, but the tears of unfathomable sadness from anti-development Leftists, who would block your cherished skyscrapers, are undeniably savory... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJNjCY3HbI

NickB1967
Dec 12, 2016, 6:02 PM
No Fortune 500 companies in Sac.

I'm not looking for Sac to have one super tall, honestly. If it someday happens, great. But I rather have several 300-430 foot high-rises that adds to the CBD's density and urban scale.

I'm looking forward to seeing the modifications to the Vanir Tower.

The ONLY way I could ever see a supertall building in downtown Sacramento is if the state government somehow found it advantageous to concentrate most of its employees in one place downtown. :(

NickB1967
Dec 12, 2016, 6:03 PM

An upward tick in interest rates, for starters, and they are at record lows. :(

CastleScott
Dec 13, 2016, 2:00 AM
Just looking over some pics earlier I just wonder how some of those 4-6 story stick or timber builds will hold up in a seismic event-do they treat the wood so it won't split when these things happen vs steel or reinforced concrete?

Oh btw looks as if the Klimpton hotel tower by the Golden One Center is on its final floor.

DenseCityPlease
Dec 13, 2016, 2:41 AM
Just looking over some pics earlier I just wonder how some of those 4-6 story stick or timber builds will hold up in a seismic event-do they treat the wood so it won't split when these things happen vs steel or reinforced concrete?

Oh btw looks as if the Klimpton hotel tower by the Golden One Center is on its final floor.

The answer is - quite well.

Structural failures during seismic events are largely a function of inadequate shear strength and/or lack of flexibility in load bearing walls to accommodate deflection. Type V wood-framed construction, which has substantial amounts of both, is just about the safest structure possible within which to experience an earthquake.

A single story wood framed building (like a house) would probably be safest of all, followed shortly thereafter by a multi-story wood framed building of the type you're referring to. Drywall nailed to studs is actually a surprisingly resilient assembly assuming the building has been properly engineered.

CastleScott
Dec 13, 2016, 3:20 AM
^ Thanks buddy-you summed it up very well-the wonders of wood!!

LandofFrost
Jan 3, 2017, 4:43 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2017/01/03/developer-yamanee-going-forward-in-2017.html

Looks like yamanee might move forward.

Yay to getting one condo building downtown-ish. Portland has gotten 12, Seattle 27 and SF a gazzilion this cycle.

CastleScott
Jan 8, 2017, 9:29 PM
^ This is great news!:yes:

Pistola916
Jan 16, 2017, 6:45 PM
Could historic downtown mansion be torn down or moved to make way for state offices?

The new tower will be between 600,000 and 800,000 square feet and hold at least 3,000 workers. That’s gigantic. It will likely be one of the tallest buildings in the city. And the Heilbron House is standing in its way.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article126738579.html#storylink=cpy

The smart thing to do is build a slimmer tower that reaches 40-50 floors. Knowing the state, they'll opt for a wider, thicker structure that tops out at 20 stories.

yolonative
Jan 16, 2017, 7:09 PM
Could historic downtown mansion be torn down or moved to make way for state offices?

The smart thing to do is build a slimmer tower that reaches 40-50 floors. Knowing the state, they'll opt for a wider, thicker structure that tops out at 20 stories.

Taller/slimmer would be a nice addition to the skyline, but anything taller than 5/6 stories from the state is a huge step up.

Is there any other news or mention of this 7th and O St high rise? Or is this the first mention of it? Can't seem to find additional info on it.

Pistola916
Jan 16, 2017, 7:30 PM
Is there any other news or mention of this 7th and O St high rise? Or is this the first mention of it? Can't seem to find additional info on it.

Under Gov. Brown's proposal to upgrade/replace government buildings, the state is trying to replace the Resource Building, which is 17 stories.

They want to break ground in 2018, so *hopefully* we see renderings this year. I don't want to see a copy of the West End project.

Most recent story I found:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2016/06/29/next-steps-in-plan-for-new-downtown-state-office.html

Deno
Jan 16, 2017, 8:19 PM
Why couldn't this height rise state building be built in the railyards?

ozone
Jan 17, 2017, 3:41 AM
Why couldn't this height rise state building be built in the railyards?

Well I believe that the state already owns the land which makes it easier. But I've been saying for years that the City of Sacramento should try and do some sort of land swap with the state so that no more life-less office blocks are built in the O Street Corridor. That area would be so much better if those lots were turned into mix-use, mid-to-high-rise housing.

CastleScott
Jan 17, 2017, 5:55 PM
^ I agree the railyards would be a good fit and why not a land-swap, this is an obvious win-win.

Mr. Ozo
Jan 18, 2017, 3:35 AM
^ I agree the railyards would be a good fit and why not a land-swap, this is an obvious win-win.

The city doesn't own the land in Railyards. It's owned by a private developer.

The State owns a good chunk of O Street. In the 1960's when Pat Brown "bought" if from the city for pennies. Some of it became CADA but there are still big parking lots functioning as land banks for future development.

Perhaps too much to ask the State to keep the mansion where it is and incorporate housing and retail into the office building surrounding it. Too lazy to look but I'm sure I posted something similar about this very block years again on this forum.

ozone
Jan 22, 2017, 11:52 PM
The city doesn't own the land in Railyards. It's owned by a private developer.

The State owns a good chunk of O Street. In the 1960's when Pat Brown "bought" if from the city for pennies. Some of it became CADA but there are still big parking lots functioning as land banks for future development.

Perhaps too much to ask the State to keep the mansion where it is and incorporate housing and retail into the office building surrounding it. Too lazy to look but I'm sure I posted something similar about this very block years again on this forum.

I believe the city owns a small part of the Railyards or adjacent to it. Regardless the city does own other properties downtown.

Majin
Jan 25, 2017, 9:45 PM
Does anyone in the know have any idea what is going on with these projects?

1. Marshall Hotel near arena
2. Grey hound station near arena
3. 8th and K
4. 15th and Q
5. 25th and J
6. 19th and J
7. Township 9

Any other projects I'm missing?

Surefiresacto
Jan 27, 2017, 6:19 PM
Saw that the Q19 development broke ground yesterday

https://sacramentopress.com/2017/01/26/construction-begins-on-midtowns-q19-mixed-use-site/

snfenoc
Jan 27, 2017, 6:51 PM
This article in the SBJ gives a good idea of what projects are likely to start and summarizes the hurdles to development.

Projects that have started or may start this year include the following:

Q19 (about 70 units)
Moe's 19J (173 Units)
Yamanee (134 units - if wburg and crew get out of the way)
23rd & K (9 units)
Stockton & T (214 units).

Bay Miry's (D&S Development) 15Q project (73 units), a newly forming project at 15th and S called The Parker (76 units) and Downtown Commons (1000+ units) have no timetable set quite yet.

I'm not sure about The Press building, a large project that is supposed to go up on the site of the Bee's parking garage.

Basically, all these expensive urban housing projects face a lack of available financing, equity partners and labor shortages. Lending partners are risk averse. This, and big government invasion into capital financing practices, cause the need for equity partners. People with money don't know much about Sacramento. There's little track record when compared to the Bay Area; so the portfolios for area developers may appear weak. (If I have money, I want to invest it in a city I know about, with a developer who has a track record for delivery.) Even if a developer can secure the capital, a contractor needs to be found. There are not enough construction laborers; so there are supply and demand issues. Consequently, the bids for projects are often higher than expected.

Increased area rents may be helpful. Still, lenders need to lend; equity partners need to be wooed; Sacramento needs to appear as a well-known, good place to invest; and construction workers need to be available.

Long-delayed housing projects finally may be getting underway

Jan 27, 2017, 5:54am PST
Ben van der Meer
Staff Writer
Sacramento Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2017/01/27/long-delayed-housing-projects-finally-may-be.html

ltsmotorsport
Feb 1, 2017, 2:52 AM
"The Parker" is simply a re-branding of the previously approved 15th and S project. I would think the current owner may be trying to sell the property/entitlements. And by Downtown Commons I think you may have meant Sacramento Commons? That site just sold so hopefully we see construction from the new owners in the coming year.

You're correct on all the points the article makes too; its still a tough environment to get projects out of the ground even with strong demand. Hopefully with Ice Blocks and 700 K coming this summer, it will show/prove how strong the central city market is for new housing

Majin
Feb 1, 2017, 7:54 PM
Has anyone seen the recent pic of the Kings "midrise" apartments on 8th and K? Isnt a project that size entirely inappropriate at that site? We already have taller buildings in Midtown and if 19th and J and 25th and J start construction this year we will have much more taller housing in midtown.

Also, isnt even the next door apartments at 7th and K taller? I could see if they just rehabbed an existing building, but they are starting from a hole in the ground and its still just the standard 5 story building that is already poping up all over midtown. We don't need another one downtown.