PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Proposal/Approval/Construction Thread - III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

ozone
Apr 28, 2008, 5:14 PM
:previous: :haha:

WIARC of course, "Hi" was Mayor Fargo's preferance -only she wanted to include dasies on the the sign-- just like she has on her business card (I kid you not).

ltsmotorsport
Apr 28, 2008, 5:58 PM
Some visionary leadership right there.

SacTownAndy
Apr 28, 2008, 7:10 PM
^ You think that's bad? At least they didn't go with their original design:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/cvcvcvcv/welcome.jpg

That's hilarious!! :haha:

sactown_2007
Apr 29, 2008, 1:29 AM
^ You think that's bad? At least they didn't go with their original design:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/cvcvcvcv/welcome.jpg

^^^^^
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That was too funny!!! LOL!! I think we should join forces and design a sign that is worthy....then again, the more I look at it, I am beginning to think this version is better than the one we currently have!! :haha:

And dasies on the Mayor's business card?? Man that is sadddddd!!!!! You would think she would have a Tomato (Since we are the Big Tomato) or a Tree (City of Trees) on there or something better..shezzzzz

urban_encounter
Apr 29, 2008, 2:00 AM
there's a campaign poster hanging on the cyclone fence surrounding the hole in the ground at 8th and K that says

"Mayor Heather Fargo

Progress"

I wish i had had my camera with me...

creamcityleo79
Apr 29, 2008, 4:18 AM
A hidden gem in an otherwise pretty boring article:
Domino Effect in Leasing
BloodSource's move from Alhambra sets off series of other projects
Sacramento Business Journal - by Michael Shaw and Kathy Robertson Staff writers

Dennis McCoy | Sacramento Business Journal

BloodSource’s new location at Mather Field includes a 95,000-square-foot building and this 30,000-square-foot laboratory currently being built.
View Larger
BloodSource's move to Mather Field has triggered a flurry of activity, from the lease of its former offices in East Sacramento to new construction at the redeveloped airbase.

Sutter Health next year will start moving into the blood bank's former home at 1625 Stockton Blvd., now that the sale of the building to Separovich/Domich Real Estate Development is official.

Sutter needs more office space than its $600 million-plus midtown master plan will provide nearby, and that building can relieve the pressure without requiring additional improvements, Sutter spokeswoman Nancy Turner said. It is already zoned for medical use.

The Sacramento-based health system signed a 15-year lease with options to extend or buy the 107,000-square-foot building, Turner said. Separovich/Domich bought it from BloodSource for $31.5 million, industry sources said.

BloodSource, meanwhile, upgraded to a 95,000-square-foot building at Mather. Included in that deal is a parking lot adjacent to where it is building a 30,000-square foot laboratory. Industry sources said the price was $25 million.

The building was to be the Sacramento hub for Ameriquest Mortgage Co. before the company left Sacramento. In exchange for getting out of its lease, Ameriquest left office furniture, televisions and other expensive improvements to the benefit of the new owner.

"It was a tremendous opportunity for us," BloodSource spokeswoman Leslie Botos said. "We knew we needed to build a new lab, and this made it feasible for us to do a state-of-the-art lab."

Sunseri Associates Inc. is building the laboratory, expected to be done by August.

The proximity to an airstrip and shipping companies such as UPS and DHL is a plus. BloodSource collects blood from donors from Merced to the Oregon border and distributes it to regional hospitals and others around the world.

"It was a perfect fit," said Mark Friedman, founder of Fulcrum Property, who built the building in 2004 in a partnership with McCuen Properties, the company behind the Mather Commerce Center revitalization effort.

In a lot neighboring the new lab, the partnership is building a 35,000-square-foot facility that will be the new home of the Sacramento County Environmental Management Department. Director Val Siebal said that would double the size of the department's cramped offices on Jackson Road, which it has occupied for 20 years. The department is responsible for programs from the colored-placard restaurant rating system launched a year ago to hazardous materials inspections. It will occupy the building next year.

Friedman is eager to see action continue in East Sacramento. He and his father, Mort, purchased the Libby Cannery, a fully leased office complex located immediately to the south of the former BloodSource office. They bought it with the idea of possibly developing a combination of retail, residential and office space.

Directly to the south of the cannery is a site where Trammell Crow Residential has started construction on its 275-unit residential project on Alhambra Boulevard. Construction of the seven-story parking garage there is expected to begin within a few weeks, said Ron Mossbarger, senior project manager at Trammell Crow. The project won't be done until 2010, he said, adding that the company will wait until then to decide whether the units will be for rent:yes: or purchase.

As for Sutter's new office space, the move will take place over time. Regional administrative employees now working in the Buehler building on L Street and doctors who work in or around Sutter Memorial Hospital in east Sacramento will move in over an 18-month period starting in mid-2009, Turner said.

The lease stems from a decision to make it easier for patients to access care by concentrating medical services in midtown near Sutter General Hospital, the Sutter Cancer Center and the adjacent Buehler Building.

There's not enough medical office space in the midtown project to house all the doctors who work in and around Sutter Memorial, so some of them will move as well.

The cardiology program and women's and children's services are expected to move from Sutter Memorial to midtown in 2011, "so there's plenty of time to plan this and get it right," Turner said.

The midtown plan includes a women's and children's center, renovation of Sutter General and the Sutter Cancer Center across the street. It also includes housing, stores, a new home for the Children's Theatre of California and renovation of Trinity Cathedral at 2620 Capitol Ave.

mshaw@bizjournals.com | 916-558-7861

urban_encounter
Apr 29, 2008, 4:51 AM
^^^^^
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That was too funny!!! LOL!! I think we should join forces and design a sign that is worthy....then again, the more I look at it, I am beginning to think this version is better than the one we currently have!! :haha:

And dasies on the Mayor's business card?? Man that is sadddddd!!!!! You would think she would have a Tomato (Since we are the Big Tomato) or a Tree (City of Trees) on there or something better..shezzzzz

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/urban_encounter/sac022.jpg

I honestly believe they changed the sign. I would have bet the sign i saw the other day said "Heather Fargo--Progress" because i remember chuckling about the irony of that sign being hung above a hole in the ground on K street.

Well maybe i was mistaken (i don't think so, but maybe)..

In any case it's a wierd place for a campaign sign.

ltsmotorsport
Apr 29, 2008, 5:29 AM
Yeah, you usually want to put your name on something positive you've done for the city...oh wait...

L8 4 Tahoe
Apr 29, 2008, 5:46 AM
I saw one of those Progress... signs on the corner of 16th and O for a couple of days and someone actually wrote "stops" in front of it. Then it was gone. I kinda wish I had stolen it. I might ride around to see if I can find one and grab it.

urban_encounter
Apr 29, 2008, 5:49 AM
I saw one of those Progress... signs on the corner of 16th and O for a couple of days and someone actually wrote "stops" in front of it. Then it was gone. I kinda wish I had stolen it. I might ride around to see if I can find one and grab it.

:haha:

wburg
Apr 29, 2008, 3:50 PM
A hidden gem in an otherwise pretty boring article:
Directly to the south of the cannery is a site where Trammell Crow Residential has started construction on its 275-unit residential project on Alhambra Boulevard. Construction of the seven-story parking garage there is expected to begin within a few weeks, said Ron Mossbarger, senior project manager at Trammell Crow. The project won't be done until 2010, he said, adding that the company will wait until then to decide whether the units will be for rent or purchase.

I thought the rest of the article was kind of interesting too, especially considering the amount of land Domich is accumulating along Alhambra (he owns the old flower-mart building next to the TCR project, and is building the Mercy project on 30th/Q and its parking structure on Alhambra/R.)

Definitely interesting to hear about how the project that they swore up, down, sideways, and in all other possible directions would be for-sale condos is now "will wait until then to decide whether the units will be for rent or purchase."

ozone
Apr 29, 2008, 5:26 PM
Ok maybe I missed it in the article but could anyone tell me exactly where the 7-story parking garage is going? I thought R and Alhambra was going to be a mixed use housing project.

wburg
Apr 29, 2008, 5:45 PM
ozone: R and Alhambra is the parking structure for the Mercy medical building. The seven-story parking structure they are talking about will be on R and 32nd, up against the back of the property from S Street, and that is the parking structure for the mixed-use 275-unit Trammell Crow project.

ozone
Apr 29, 2008, 6:09 PM
OK thanks that makes sense to me now.

TowerDistrict
Apr 29, 2008, 7:06 PM
Definitely interesting to hear about how the project that they swore up, down, sideways, and in all other possible directions would be for-sale condos is now "will wait until then to decide whether the units will be for rent or purchase."

do you object to rental units in the area, or the developer changing their mind?

or both?

L8 4 Tahoe
Apr 29, 2008, 7:21 PM
I don't object to rental units at all, I think we need a lot more rentals. As for the developer changing his mind...it's his project isn't it? I think the only people he has to answer to for the decision is his investors.

wburg
Apr 29, 2008, 9:17 PM
Changing your mind about a project before it has been approved is one thing. Doing so after approval has been obtained, that's another.

TD: I object to people who change their mind after promising that they're going to do something, and after they gained approval for the project based on that promise. When the project first came up, and people in the neighborhood were concerned that it was going to end up being an apartment complex, they were told that their fears were unfounded.

creamcityleo79
Apr 29, 2008, 10:34 PM
Changing your mind about a project before it has been approved is one thing. Doing so after approval has been obtained, that's another.

TD: I object to people who change their mind after promising that they're going to do something, and after they gained approval for the project based on that promise. When the project first came up, and people in the neighborhood were concerned that it was going to end up being an apartment complex, they were told that their fears were unfounded.
Should we really be catering to the needs, wants, and fears of those who have been so flawed in the past!? Remember the Mercy expansion, the Cal Expo Amphitheater?

sugit
Apr 29, 2008, 11:24 PM
Heaven forsake the fears of apartments get built instead of condos....oh what will become of the neighborhood. In this for-sale market, who can blame them for wanting to change their minds. The only difference is people will be renting instead of buying, unless there is something else that is changing with the project because of that.

urban_encounter
Apr 30, 2008, 1:18 AM
Heaven forsake the fears of apartments get built instead of condos....oh what will become of the neighborhood. In this for-sale market, who can blame them for wanting to change their minds. The only difference is people will be renting instead of buying, unless there is something else that is changing with the project because of that.

I agree 100%......

L8 4 Tahoe
Apr 30, 2008, 1:33 AM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/Rysac1/IMG_1770.jpg
Snapped this on H Street today on my bike, its pretty well hidden with a big tree blocking it and it being hidden behind bushes.

downtownserg89
Apr 30, 2008, 1:38 AM
someone needs to sneak behind her and pull the wig off

sactown_2007
Apr 30, 2008, 2:00 AM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/Rysac1/IMG_1770.jpg
Snapped this on H Street today on my bike, its pretty well hidden with a big tree blocking it and it being hidden behind bushes.

^^^^^

:haha: What a sick combination of colors for a campaign sign -- yellow and brown -- the color of puke! :yuck:

L8 4 Tahoe
Apr 30, 2008, 2:09 AM
^^^^^

:haha: What a sick combination of colors for a campaign sign -- yellow and brown -- the color of puke! :yuck:
I think its purple and not brown, but not sure. I'm drinking a little tonight and might grab one of these.:cheers:

sactown_2007
Apr 30, 2008, 2:28 AM
Oh yeah...it does look purple -- it is hard to tell; but yeah...still sick colors -- oh wait -- that would be the Lakers colors!!! :haha:

wburg
Apr 30, 2008, 5:10 AM
Should we really be catering to the needs, wants, and fears of those who have been so flawed in the past!? Remember the Mercy expansion, the Cal Expo Amphitheater?
Who are you talking about here??

creamcityleo79
Apr 30, 2008, 5:18 AM
Who are you talking about here??
The people in the neighborhood who were concerned about this project.

wburg
Apr 30, 2008, 5:22 AM
The people in the neighborhood who were concerned about this project.
The people in that neighborhood(NBNA) didn't have anything to do with Mercy or Cal Expo.

creamcityleo79
Apr 30, 2008, 5:37 AM
The people in that neighborhood(NBNA) didn't have anything to do with Mercy or Cal Expo.
I thought it was East Sac Homeowners. Either way, it wreaks of NIMBYism!

wburg
Apr 30, 2008, 7:04 AM
There's that N-word again. The Trammell Crow project isn't in East Sacramento.

Anyhow, there are differences between apartments and condos, primarily in the level of residential stability and investment in the neighborhood. Homeowners, even condo owners, tend to be a lot more invested (literally) in their neighborhood than renters. Property values of nearby homes are affected too.

sugit
Apr 30, 2008, 3:42 PM
Anyhow, there are differences between apartments and condos, primarily in the level of residential stability and investment in the neighborhood. Homeowners, even condo owners, tend to be a lot more invested (literally) in their neighborhood than renters. Property values of nearby homes are affected too.

The audacity of this makes me want to puke. I guess The Newton Booth Neighborhood Association feels they are too good for renters to be part of their neighborhood.

That is the "N word" at its finest.

wburg
Apr 30, 2008, 4:15 PM
The audacity of this makes me want to puke. I guess The Newton Booth Neighborhood Association feels they are too good for renters to be part of their neighborhood.

That is the "N word" at its finest.

There are plenty of renters in the neighborhood. I'm very happy to hear you're so concerned about the rights of renters, but, well, it's true, homeowners tend to show more residential stability (they stay in the neighborhood for longer before moving) and tend to be more actively involved in the community (the better shape the neighborhood is in, the better for their own property values.) If you have an argument to the contrary, rather than simply calling me audacious, well, then, I plead guilty on charges of audacity with intent to speak the truth.

TowerDistrict
Apr 30, 2008, 4:45 PM
I don't think they want to rent them anymore than the neighbors do. You can see how the construction is moving at a snail pace. I'm pretty sure they anticipated the project being much further along originally. But they didn't anticipate this horrible housing market/economy either. The way things fluctuate in a matter of six months, who knows what 2010 will bring?

Either way, I think the neighbors' worry is "unfounded" as well. That project will be such a boost for the neighborhood - which is fairly rough around the hedges and holds some of the lowest property values in the central city area. I compare it to 1901 Broadway in my own neighborhood, which will be rentals. They're attractive buildings that supply more residential in an area known more for freeways and industrial than as a place to live. They'll be a boost to the local business that exists, and may bring even more.

sugit
Apr 30, 2008, 5:07 PM
There are plenty of renters in the neighborhood. I'm very happy to hear you're so concerned about the rights of renters, but, well, it's true, homeowners tend to show more residential stability (they stay in the neighborhood for longer before moving) and tend to be more actively involved in the community (the better shape the neighborhood is in, the better for their own property values.) If you have an argument to the contrary, rather than simply calling me audacious, well, then, I plead guilty on charges of audacity with intent to speak the truth.

I never said that owners aren't more stable. We all know that. The point is the "fear" of the neighborhood that this could be a rental project is ridiculous, and quite sickening to me.

I've never gone along with the whole sediment on here with regard to NIMBYs , but in this case of rental versus ownership, I am of the full opinion it falls in the that bucket.

econgrad
Apr 30, 2008, 9:22 PM
^ I live in a neighborhood that does not allow rental units, nor allow people to rent the houses. Wburg is correct for the reasons, but I do not think East Sac is exclusive enough nor in a location to need protection such as this. The closer you are to the urban core, the more valuable your land. Therefore, No reason to be nimby about renters. In El Dorado Hills, Roseville and Folsom gated neighborhoods, these restrictions seem more logical. Leave these restrictions out of urban areas where people want a more mixed society.

wburg
May 1, 2008, 12:23 AM
^ I live in a neighborhood that does not allow rental units, nor allow people to rent the houses. Wburg is correct for the reasons, but I do not think East Sac is exclusive enough nor in a location to need protection such as this. The closer you are to the urban core, the more valuable your land. Therefore, No reason to be nimby about renters. In El Dorado Hills, Roseville and Folsom gated neighborhoods, these restrictions seem more logical. Leave these restrictions out of urban areas where people want a more mixed society.
So, in other words, not in your backyard?

creamcityleo79
May 1, 2008, 1:07 AM
So, in other words, not in your backyard?
Best post of the year so far!!!! :notacrook:

sugit
May 1, 2008, 2:43 AM

Econgrad - Is there something you had sign when you bought your house that says you can't rent it out? If so, how do they enforce it? or is it just frowned upon? My HOA tried to do something where only a certain amount of units could be rented out at a time, but it was shot down I believe.

I really don't see much difference between what Burg said and what you are saying about El Dorado Hills, Roseville and Folsom. It's all being a NIMBY in my mind.

wburg
May 1, 2008, 5:21 AM
The difference is that I don't oppose the existence of rental properties, but I do have a problem with a developer saying one thing and then doing another. It makes me wonder how many of their other promises they'll break before this project is over and done with. Maybe my standards for human behavior are just too high--there's just something about people who lie that makes me not like them...

jsf8278
May 1, 2008, 6:17 AM
Econgrad - Is there something you had sign when you bought your house that says you can't rent it out? If so, how do they enforce it? or is it just frowned upon? My HOA tried to do something where only a certain amount of units could be rented out at a time, but it was shot down I believe.

I really don't see much difference between what Burg said and what you are saying about El Dorado Hills, Roseville and Folsom. It's all being a NIMBY in my mind.

Sometimes developers build neighborhoods and put covenants in the deeds to each property that restrict each property to say "single family dwelling, not more than two stories"; "no rental dwellings on this property" ect.
The covenants are able to be enforced by individual neighbors. If you lived in a development with such a restriction and your neighbor started renting out his home, or constructing two additional stories, you could sue for monetary damages or get an injunction against the neighbor from continuing the prohibited use.

As to your neighborhood association, the key is that the restrictions/covenants be in the deed when the home is bought, so that the owner takes the property with knowledge of the restriction. Such a restriction is likely out of the reach of a home owner's association.

sugit
May 1, 2008, 6:41 AM
Thanks for the info Jeff...

The difference is that I don't oppose the existence of rental properties, but I do have a problem with a developer saying one thing and then doing another. It makes me wonder how many of their other promises they'll break before this project is over and done with. Maybe my standards for human behavior are just too high--there's just something about people who lie that makes me not like them...

I hardly think a developer planning to do a condo project, then in the mist of one of the largest housing market meltdowns in recent memory, changing their mind to rentals would be a reason to question their human behavior. Call me a softy, but calling them liars seems a bit much given the circumstances.

You may not oppose the existence of rental properties, but you sure don't like these rentals in your backyard. I’m also going to take a wild stab at this and say given the neighborhood had fears about an apartment complex, the neighborhood would raise a stink about not wanting it in their backyard if rentals were the route from the beginning.

econgrad
May 1, 2008, 8:09 AM
^ Thanks for explaining.

Wburg: I have no idea what your talking about in your 2nd post. Regarding this statement: Originally Posted by wburg View Post
So, in other words, not in your backyard? That is Exactly what I meant. Urban areas should have rents and ownership combined, as well as density. If you want to have large yards, large homes, swimming pools and privacy, with a gated community and 24 hour guard tower at both entrances, then you should not want to live in Urban areas. You have to sacrifice yourself to being further outward. People like me want choice, I have chosen non-rentable neighborhood. I do not think non-rentable neighborhoods should be located in or near Urban areas, because it just seems inappropriate. Nor do I think gated neighborhoods are appropriate for urban areas either. These types of neighborhoods are for specific people who can afford to commute to the core. It would just be unfair in my eyes for neighborhoods like mine to be located even close to downtown. Therefore, I do not agree with East Sacramento residents if they do not like rental units being built. It is just not that type of area. If they want to live in a non-rental area, move to El Dorado Hills or Roseville or Folsom. These cities, especially Folsom, are built by Nimbys.

wburg
May 1, 2008, 4:06 PM
Thanks for the info Jeff...

I hardly think a developer planning to do a condo project, then in the mist of one of the largest housing market meltdowns in recent memory, changing their mind to rentals would be a reason to question their human behavior. Call me a softy, but calling them liars seems a bit much given the circumstances.

You may not oppose the existence of rental properties, but you sure don't like these rentals in your backyard. I’m also going to take a wild stab at this and say given the neighborhood had fears about an apartment complex, the neighborhood would raise a stink about not wanting it in their backyard if rentals were the route from the beginning.

Well, here's the thing. They were asked whether or not they'd switch it over to rentals, during the beginning phase of this particular housing meltdown. Things were already starting to look bad, and TCR were asked if, considering that condo projects in cities like Chicago were actively "repartmenting" and things were looking pretty grim here, if they had even considered switching the project to apartments. They said no, they would not, and were working out language for the CC&Rs to prevent switching to apartments.

In the article, they are quoting as saying they hadn't decided whether the units should be rentals or condos. If they said that they had to change their minds due to change in market demand, then they wouldn't be liars.

Econgrad: Where is this project in East Sacramento you keep referring to?

SuburbanRefugee
May 1, 2008, 5:04 PM

Very true, and based on this simple fact, when an owner of a condo looks to finance, or re-finance their unit, the bank looks closely at the % of rental units in the community. It really depends on the bank as to what the exact % is, but if the number of rental units exceeds their standard then the bank will not lend.

Oh, and Fargo needs to seriously reconsider those vomit inducing signs... Who's bright idea was that?

sugit
May 1, 2008, 5:45 PM
Well, here's the thing. They were asked whether or not they'd switch it over to rentals, during the beginning phase of this particular housing meltdown. Things were already starting to look bad, and TCR were asked if, considering that condo projects in cities like Chicago were actively "repartmenting" and things were looking pretty grim here, if they had even considered switching the project to apartments. They said no, they would not, and were working out language for the CC&Rs to prevent switching to apartments.

In the article, they are quoting as saying they hadn't decided whether the units should be rentals or condos. If they said that they had to change their minds due to change in market demand, then they wouldn't be liars.

Well, you and I are reading that comment different. You read it as they never had intentions of doing condos, I read it as they are looking at another option in a bad market. Nothing either of us say will change our opinion of that.

sugit
May 1, 2008, 8:48 PM
Well this is interesting. The city is looking for housing proposals downtown and has freed up 25M in redevelopment money subsidies. They are soliciting proposals due Aug 1st with selection in September.

Click for Staff Report (http://sacramento.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=8&event_id=2&meta_id=147483)

Redevelopment Agency) Downtown Housing Investment Strategy and Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)
Recommendation: Adopt a Redevelopment Agency Resolution a) approving the Downtown Housing Investment Strategy; b) allocating $25 million of Merged Downtown Low and Moderate Income Housing Funds to implement the investment strategy and amending the Agency budget accordingly; and c) authorizing the Interim Executive Director to issue a $25 million NOFA for the development of mixed-income housing in the Merged Downtown Sacramento Redevelopment Area. Contact: Jim Hare, Assistant Director, (916) 440-1313, Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency; Leslie Fritzsche, Downtown Division Manager, (916) 808-5450, Economic Development Department.

wburg
May 1, 2008, 9:14 PM
Interesting...and mixed income too! I'm curious to see what they come up with.

sugit
May 2, 2008, 3:34 AM
Speaking of redevelopment funds...does anyone know how much is left from the last bond of some 100M??

This is what I came up with as used:
$9,850,000 - Citizen Hotel (Part Loan)
$375,000 - Imax
$15,700,000 -700/800 K Street Property Acquisition
$1,700,000 - Elks Building (850K Loan)
$8,000,000 - Crocker
$6,750,000 - 10th and K Theater
$6,000,000 - Hotel New Orleans
$5,000,000 - Hotel Berry
$750,000 - Ella's (Loan)
$54,125,000 Total

Bob Lablaw
May 2, 2008, 4:03 AM
Does anybody happen to know what's happening under the 29th/30th Street Freeway between Q and S Streets? The self-storage and parking lots have been ripped out and there is construction afoot. It looks like a reconfigure of the parking area.

Did RT finally get the property for a bus loading area for the 29th Street light rail station? I've felt for a long time that repurposing that area for RT passengers would be the best thing for that parcel.

wburg
May 2, 2008, 4:05 PM
Bob Lablaw: That is going to be the employee parking area for the medical office building at 30th and Q. Originally they were just going to use the R/S block but decided to do the Q/R block as well.

And yes, as part of the deal they are going to do some station improvements and a bus loading area on the west side of 30th Street. The developer, Dain Domich, was one of the guiding folks behind light rail, and he saw this project as an opportunity to improve the station as well as provide a transit connection for the office.

Majin
May 2, 2008, 9:43 PM
Is there a second saturday tomorrow?

wburg
May 2, 2008, 9:46 PM

Normally, Second Saturday events are held on the second Saturday of each month...thus, what do you conclude?

TowerDistrict
May 2, 2008, 9:59 PM
no... but you'll definitely beat the crowds for next weekend.

I'm wondering if the turn out will be as big as it was last month. That was huge!

Majin
May 2, 2008, 10:20 PM
I'm going there FOR the weekend crowds.

TowerDistrict
May 2, 2008, 10:50 PM
Then I'll see on the 10th ;)

SuburbanRefugee
May 3, 2008, 1:45 AM
Hey Bob Lablaw, do you have a law blog?

Darn Good City
May 3, 2008, 5:37 AM

Ever lobbed a law bomb?

As many times as I've thought of replying to posts on Sacramento building topics in this forum, this is the post that drew me in.

urban_encounter
May 3, 2008, 6:20 PM

Normally, Second Saturday events are held on the second Saturday of each month...thus, what do you conclude?

:haha:

Majin, maybe one of your first acts as Mayor can be making the first Saturday the official weekend for second Saturday festivities.

Bob Lablaw
May 4, 2008, 2:01 AM
That is going to be the employee parking area for the medical office building at 30th and Q. Originally they were just going to use the R/S block but decided to do the Q/R block as well.

And yes, as part of the deal they are going to do some station improvements and a bus loading area on the west side of 30th Street.
Cool! Thanks for the info.

Haha, nah.

Ever lobbed a law bomb?
No, every bomb I've ever dropped have been quite outside the law, thanks.

innov8
May 9, 2008, 3:18 AM
The Sacramento 2030 General Plan event at Cesar Chavez Park looked to be
a great success... a good turn out. For all of you that want to have input
before the Draft is made final there is now a 60 day period for the public to comment.

http://www.sacgp.org/

Public comments on the Draft 2030 General Plan are accepted
till until July 31, 2008. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=uHxKTRKURLoDgdRTnLzevg_3d_3d

It was good meeting you wberg :cheers:

wburg
May 9, 2008, 6:15 AM
yeah, it's always nice to put a face on the name! The general plan process is interesting stuff...it basically provides the framework for the city's direction for the next 25 years.

Majin
May 9, 2008, 6:05 PM
Did Wburg have a bowtie on?

wburg
May 9, 2008, 6:11 PM
Did Wburg have a bowtie on?
No, he didn't. What did you think of the General Plan event, Majin?

Majin
May 9, 2008, 6:45 PM
Ok look, I love this city but despite me trolling the forums all day I am a very busy man. I didn't even step foot in my apartment last night until 9:30pm.

One of the reasons why I don't have the resources or free time to run for mayor for at least 10 years or so. Until then I'll continue to make my random comments from the peanut gallery.

Majin
May 9, 2008, 6:46 PM
Infact I haven't read the general plan. I'll do that now.

wburg
May 9, 2008, 7:18 PM
Ok look, I love this city but despite me trolling the forums all day I am a very busy man. I didn't even step foot in my apartment last night until 9:30pm.

One of the reasons why I don't have the resources or free time to run for mayor for at least 10 years or so. Until then I'll continue to make my random comments from the peanut gallery.

...so why the comment about the bow tie?

Majin
May 9, 2008, 7:25 PM
Based on what I know about you from the forum you seem like the bow tie wearing type.

wburg
May 9, 2008, 7:37 PM
Based on what I know about you from the forum you seem like the bow tie wearing type.

Nah, I'm more of a skinny-black-tie wearing type, although I used to be partial to bolo ties..you can take the boy out of the 80s but you can't take the 80s out of the boy, I guess. How about you? I see you as more of a pink polo shirt wearing type.

sugit
May 9, 2008, 8:14 PM
The Economic Development Group is presenting their budget and goals (http://sacramento.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=8&event_id=2&meta_id=147930) for next fiscal year, which I think runs July-June. (anyone knows?)

Anyways, here's the list of goals for FY08/09. Quite a list, even though I'm not sure why the Cosmopolitian and Citizen would be on there.

Seems like you are tossing yourself a softball with those two.

OBJECTIVES FOR FY2008/09
Downtown Development
*Begin construction of Phase 1 of the Riverfront Promenade in the Docks area.
*Construct Phase 1 of the K Street Streetscape.
*Renovate St. Rose of Lima Park.
*Complete construction of 10th/K Cabaret/Restaurant project.
*Finish construction of Citizens Hotel at 926 J Street.
*Initiate rehabilitation of 700 K Street block, transforming into a destination retail district.
*Undertake redevelopment of 1012-22 K Street.
*Relocate Greyhound facility.
*Initiate fee deferral program to stimulate development projects in the Downtown.
*Complete negotiations for an additional downtown hotel.
*Undertake three new residential projects.
*Launch Downtown J-K-L Street Window Graphic Program.
*Initiate redevelopment of the Marshall Hotel.

ltsmotorsport
May 10, 2008, 3:25 AM
*Complete negotiations for an additional downtown hotel.

I'm assuming this is referring to the announcement that came outta nowhere a little while back about a hotel on I street? How tall is it proposed to be?

Pistola916
May 10, 2008, 4:13 AM
I believe 300 feet or 22 stories.

innov8
May 11, 2008, 5:07 AM
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/1839/skylinefromnorth2008050on5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2827/500cm220080508pl1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2214/500cmtop20080509wg1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

sactown_2007
May 11, 2008, 5:16 PM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/philip_bryant/DOWNTOWNSACRAMENTO1.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/philip_bryant/DOWNTOWNSACRAMENTO2.jpg

I took these coming back from the Phillies - Giants game yesterday; Notice that the crane for CalSTRS is now gone. This is one of my favorite views of Sacramento

urban_encounter
May 11, 2008, 5:37 PM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/philip_bryant/DOWNTOWNSACRAMENTO1.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/philip_bryant/DOWNTOWNSACRAMENTO2.jpg

I took these coming back from the Phillies - Giants game yesterday; Notice that the crane for CalSTRS is now gone. This is one of my favorite views of Sacramento

They dismantled it yesterday morning. I was watching them take it down while also watching the seals lounging and fishing below Joes Crab Shack...

ltsmotorsport
May 12, 2008, 12:16 AM
There's seals in the river? I thought we only had otters.

urban_encounter
May 12, 2008, 12:49 AM
Nope, seals and big ones. It's not the first time we've had seals, but this is the first time I've seen more than one.

SacTownAndy
May 12, 2008, 7:23 PM
*Launch Downtown J-K-L Street Window Graphic Program.

Does anyone know what this is about? Just curious.

enigma99a
May 15, 2008, 7:31 AM
Nope, seals and big ones. It's not the first time we've had seals, but this is the first time I've seen more than one.

The seals would be good for the Sacramento photo collection:)

sugit
May 16, 2008, 3:16 PM
Here is the link to the staff report (http://sacramento.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=8&event_id=2&meta_id=148656) on the subject.

Richards Boulevard: That's the ticket
City paves way for Greyhound to leave downtown
Sacramento Business Journal - by Michael Shaw Staff writer
Friday, May 16, 2008

Greyhound is finally pulling out of downtown.

After years of failed attempts to move the terminal from 703 L St., Greyhound Lines, its landlord and the city of Sacramento have cut a deal to temporarily relocate it to Richards Boulevard and eventually into The Railyards.

City leaders say the terminal's presence in the business core has scared off redevelopment while remaining a logistical headache for the bus service, which must maneuver buses through congested downtown streets. Moving the terminal has been a top priority for city leaders for years -- at one point a total of 87 sites around town were examined, but plans seemed to invariably fall through.

The City Council will likely vote Tuesday on the deal, which would move the terminal to an interim facility to be built on city-owned land on Richards Boulevard. The city's long-term goal will be to eventually move Greyhound to the intermodal transportation facility envisioned for The Railyards, the massive redevelopment project sought by Thomas Enterprises Inc.

"This goes back more than a decade," said Sacramento assistant city manager John Dangberg, one of the officials who shaped the plan. "There have been lots of people who want to see this happen. It was a top priority when the Downtown Partnership was formed."

Mayor Heather Fargo announced the deal was all but done in January, only to have it slip when financial details needed tweaking.

"I think it's a great move for the city and a great move for Greyhound," Fargo said this week. "It's been a long time coming. It's a viable business, but it was difficult for our police force and their security."

Added Al Gianini, a past president of the Downtown Sacramento Partnership: "It's going to be an historic City Council meeting."

Under the deal, the city will buy out Greyhound's lease with landlord Danny Benvenuti for up to $1.4 million and spend an additional $1 million in infrastructure improvements for the new terminal at 420 Richards Blvd. The city acquired that property last year when it bought a nearby office building.

Benvenuti will develop the interim terminal, which could cost up to $4.5 million, and the city will retain ownership. Benvenuti's share of the improvements is $3.5 million, and the city will kick in $1 million more if needed. If approved by the Council, construction is expected to begin in September, and Greyhound will move in next year.

"We're happy that the city's happy," Benvenuti said, noting that the terminal's relocation became somewhat of a Sacramento saga over the years. "We're never excited to see a good tenant leave. Under the circumstances, it was inevitable."

The deal is set up to provide him a fixed 12 percent profit for developing the interim bus terminal. Greyhound pays Benvenuti about $39,200 a month to rent the L Street terminal.

Officials said the downtown location causes traffic congestion and the terminal's presence hampered investment in the area.

As for the L Street site, Benvenuti said he is in negotiations with a "major hotel operator" and forming a plan to demolish the terminal and build a hotel with apartments or condos on top.

He bought the property 19 years ago and has spent $200,000 over five years looking for a place to move the terminal. He found 87 locations, but each one was rejected. Residents didn't want the buses in their neighborhoods, the sites were logistically problematic, or other problems surfaced. That search even included the 420 Richards site, but former owners there wanted to build office buildings and wouldn't sell it, he said.

Dangberg said that once Greyhound leaves the interim terminal for The Railyards, the city could use the site for its own fleet of vehicles. But that building could eventually be torn down to make way for more office buildings.

The intermodal facility in The Railyards won't be built for several years because federal funding hasn't been secured, the city said. The costs involved are estimated at between $200 million and $300 million.

On Tuesday, the City Council will likely vote on authorizing $2 million in capital improvements for curbs, gutters and other improvements at Richards Boulevard and will vote on accepting the business terms with Benvenuti.

otnemarcaS
May 16, 2008, 7:01 PM
:previous:

Good news. About time.

Majin
May 16, 2008, 7:26 PM
About fucking time, but I wish they would start ASAP instead of September. Hopefully KJ will bring in the big time developers asap to get rid of the blight on that whole block as soon as possible. I'd hate for that building to sit empty for years.

econgrad
May 16, 2008, 9:16 PM
^ I agree. Its about damn time we all hope something great will be developed! Progress is progress....

Pistola916
May 16, 2008, 11:04 PM
What are the chance Benvenuti brings back that mix used proposal, (I think its called 701 L)? I really did like that building.

Majin
May 16, 2008, 11:15 PM
What are the chance Benvenuti brings back that mix used proposal, (I think its called 701 L)? I really did like that building.

Zero.

KJ will need to bring in some real developers. Hopefully we'll get 40-50 stories out of that site.

TowerDistrict
May 16, 2008, 11:23 PM
haha... where do you come up with this stuff dude?

The building they reference in that article is probably the same HOK designed building we've seen before. Just replace the office component with the hotel, and it's the same.

Majin
May 16, 2008, 11:26 PM
I have a very vivid imagination.

wburg
May 16, 2008, 11:36 PM
As long as we're throwing around ideas, I'd suggest the following:

#1. Build something as tall (or taller than) as the new US Bank building, preferably residential or mixed-use, on the footprint of the Greyhound station. Bienvenuti doesn't own the land where the Berry or the various 700-800 K Street properties stand, so the chance of him being able to add those to the project are pretty much nil.

#2. Preserve the facade of the Greyhound station and turn it into the lobby for the new building, along the same lines as the Public Market building at the Sheraton.

Kind of like this:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/38/76387766_0281421976.jpg?v=0
Original photo by Seth Gaines, http://www.flickr.com/photos/sethgaines/76387766/in/set-83649/
http://www.adsw.org/product/DecoReborn/Poster-m.jpg
Image source: http://www.adsw.org/product/DecoReborn/index.html

urban_encounter
May 17, 2008, 2:00 AM
Kind of like this:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/38/76387766_0281421976.jpg?v=0
Original photo by Seth Gaines, http://www.flickr.com/photos/sethgaines/76387766/in/set-83649/
http://www.adsw.org/product/DecoReborn/Poster-m.jpg
Image source: http://www.adsw.org/product/DecoReborn/index.html

If the Greyhound station looked that good i would agree, but it doesn't even come close.

Frankly I could go either way on it. I do not see the Greyhound station as a piece of Sacramento history that merits preservation. But if the developer can save the facade, then so be it.

sugit
May 17, 2008, 7:28 AM
Lot of good stuff in Shallit column..esp the part about Mohanna.

Bob Shallit: Greyhound bus depot to hit the road north of downtown
By Bob Shallit - bshallit@sacbee.com

Published 12:00 am PDT Saturday, May 17, 2008

After nearly two decades of talk, Sacramento's downtown Greyhound bus terminal is finally about to leave the station.

Assuming City Council members approve the latest relocation plan on Tuesday night, a new, temporary bus terminal will be in operation next year on Richards Boulevard.

"This has been a long time coming," says Michael Ault, head of the Downtown Sacramento Partnership, which has viewed the existing terminal as a crime magnet and impediment to redevelopment.

Ault says the development comes at the same time Westfield Corp. is about to seek approvals for a Downtown Plaza makeover, the Citizen Hotel is nearing completion at 10th and J streets, and Moe Mohanna is rumored to be near a settlement of a dispute with the city that has stalled development on the 700 and 800 blocks of the K Street Mall.

"A lot of things are starting to come together," Ault says.

As the first step of the planned Greyhound move, council members will be asked to approve $2 million for street improvements around the new terminal site at 420 Richards Blvd., not far from the I-5 exit.

Developer Danny Benvenuti, owner of the downtown Greyhound terminal site, says he will lease the Richards parcel and spend about $3.5 million on a building Greyhound can use until an intermodal transportation facility is completed at the downtown railyard.

He expects the new 14,000-square-foot bus terminal to be completed early next year.

"It will be an attractive building, something the city can use after Greyhound leaves," he says.

What becomes of Greyhound's current digs at Seventh and L streets?

Benvenuti says he's in talks with a national operator to open a "four-star" hotel within a 25-story tower he expects to complete there by early 2011.

"There's strong demand for a good hotel, and (this) is probably one of the best places to build one," he says. "Right smack in the middle of the central business district."

Pistola916
May 17, 2008, 7:29 AM
Sweet. Seems like an awesome plan. Can't wait for the renderings.

sugit
May 17, 2008, 7:34 AM
Here is a rendering of the building when all these talks first started. Seems like everyone and their mother is "talking" to a hotel operator. Taylor, Saca, Benvenuti, Giannoni, 13th and I, Marshall Hotel Rehab...lot of people

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/urban_encounter/701-1.jpg

Web
May 17, 2008, 3:56 PM
saca and motel 6?

urban_encounter
May 17, 2008, 4:01 PM
Here is a rendering of the building when all these talks first started. Seems like everyone and their mother is "talking" to a hotel operator. Taylor, Saca, Benvenuti, Giannoni, 13th and I, Marshall Hotel Rehab...lot of people

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/urban_encounter/701-1.jpg

This proposal was for 31 stories and the aritcle mentions 25 stories, so we're likely to see a drastically different proposal if we see anything for a few years.

sugit
May 17, 2008, 4:30 PM
This proposal was for 31 stories and the aritcle mentions 25 stories, so we're likely to see a drastically different proposal if we see anything for a few years.

Ah, you are right. I missed that part. My eye automatically focused on the 2011.

TowerDistrict
May 17, 2008, 7:13 PM
Regarding the Greyhound facade - if it has to go, it has to go - but I think could potentially work for a unique design. Not only that, but the streamline curves of the building could help the overall aesthetic of that intersection, considering the sterile US Bank garage on the opposite corner.

That said, the Greyhound facade would not work at all with the previous 31-story design. It would require a totally different design with complimentary features if it were to work at all.

enigma99a
May 20, 2008, 2:29 AM

I think the 31 stories would have broken the height limit:) Need to get at or around 400ft

ltsmotorsport
May 20, 2008, 4:48 AM
450ft would at least be respectable, and it wouldn't shock the old fogies being a new tallest.

enigma99a
May 20, 2008, 10:06 AM
Channel 13 did a story on the DT plaza. Said River City brewing might be bailing, as with Grebitus and Sons Jewelry. Also said Mortons is going to the US Bank Tower

sugit
May 20, 2008, 4:06 PM
Considering the "Plan" to demolish the building G&B is in, that shouldn't be a surprise and we all knew about Morton's.

River City Brewing would be a nice business to have in any project. I have to imagine they will find a home somewhere. An old brick building like 14th and R would be a nice spot.

I couldn't help but laugh at the last paragraph.

More Businesses May Leave Westfield Plaza
(http://cbs13.com/local/westfield.plaza.defections.2.728029.html)ACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― More big name retailers and restaurants could be on their way out of Sacramento's Westfield Plaza, a significant blow to downtown Sacramento.

The lights are off at 26 spots in the downtown plaza shopping center, and there could be more vacancies on the way.

"I've noticed a lot of stores have shut down and there's not as much selection as there used to be," said one shopper.

After eight years of business, the manager of River City Brewing Company says he and his partners are checking out all their options. They'd like to stay, but Steve Cuneo is frustrated with mall management and the city of Sacramento.

He says they're not doing enough to keep businesses here, and he blames that for less foot traffic and a dip in his own business.

CBS13 has also learned that two more long-time tenants could also be packing their bags. The lease is up for Grebitus and Sons Jewelers, and the family-owned business is going month-to-month as they negotiate with mall owners. They've been downtown for more than 80 years, and are planning to stay in the area, just not necessarily in the same spot.

Every mall merchant we talked to Monday says Morton's Steakhouse is jumping across the street to the new US Bank building. A company spokesperson did not return our calls today.

Westfield, the company that owns the mall, didn't want to answer our questions today. A spokesman says there are big plans ahead for the mall, they just can't reveal specifics yet. He claims that there are just as many resources going into their downtown property as the expanding mall in Roseville.

Majin
May 20, 2008, 5:36 PM
Channel 13 did a story on the DT plaza. Said River City brewing might be bailing, as with Grebitus and Sons Jewelry. Also said Mortons is going to the US Bank Tower

:cheers:

Pretty sad that I am rooting for the failure of a mall that is literally a stones throw away from me but the faster retailers bail the faster Westfield will wither go through with their renovation plans or sell the thing off.