PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Proposal/Approval/Construction Thread - III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

Majin
Mar 29, 2008, 9:03 PM
Anybody know whats being built at 16th and N?

TowerDistrict
Mar 29, 2008, 9:07 PM
Pretty sure it's the Capital Unity Center - more info at the beginning of the thread, and on the map in my sig...

Majin
Mar 29, 2008, 10:16 PM
Eh what a piece of garbage

creamcityleo79
Mar 29, 2008, 11:00 PM
Eh what a piece of garbage

do you do anything but complain? You sound like a whiny baby! This project is a necessary part of any city. Just because its not 55 stories doesnt mean its a bad thing.

creamcityleo79
Apr 7, 2008, 2:58 AM
What is it that's going up at the SE corner of Folsom and Alhambra? I think I remember something. But, I can't remember exactly what!

Majin
Apr 7, 2008, 4:41 AM
It was posted awhile back, just one story shops with a huge parking lot.

creamcityleo79
Apr 7, 2008, 1:18 PM
Found it in today's Bee, actually! :)

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2008/04/06/18/24-1B7FOLSOM.embedded.prod_affiliate.4.JPG

For Peet's sake: A long-blighted, toxic-ridden corner on the Alhambra Boulevard corridor in east Sacramento is finally getting some attention.

After a two-year cleanup effort, construction has just begun on a 4,600-square-foot retail building at the southeast corner of Alhambra and Folsom boulevards.

"It's been an eyesore for a long time," says developer Johan Otto, who acquired the former gas station site three years ago in partnership with the local Cordano development family. "I think people are going to be happy with the result."

What's going up is a single-story "Moorish"-style building that architect Andy Kwong says will become a model for meeting the city's stringent design standards along Alhambra.

"People now cite the Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet" at 3030 Alhambra as the best example, says Kwong of CH&D Architects in Sacramento. "Once this is done, they'll be pointing to this one."

The building already is leased, with a Peet's Coffee and Tea shop at the corner flanked by Cingular Wireless and FedEx Kinko's outlets. All three should open by early fall, Otto says.

The Peet's will be going cup to cup with a Starbucks one block to the south.

Let the coffee wars begin. Again.

It could have been bigger. But, it's better than nothing!

Majin
Apr 7, 2008, 5:58 PM
The KFC on Alhambra looks like ass, if thats the "stringent design standards" they need to go back to the drawing board.

wburg
Apr 7, 2008, 6:15 PM
The KFC/A&W was a compromise. They originally wanted to do a standard KFC store design, with a drive-through, and the parking in front--some neighborhood advocacy got them to eliminate the drive-through, move the parking to the back, and give at least token efforts to match the Alhambra Corridor design guidelines. Those design guidelines get broken pretty often. Most of the retail on the northern end of Alhambra is supposed to follow the design principle that buildings along Alhambra should follow a vaguely Moorish, Mission Revival or Spanish Colonial style.

Small strip malls are apparently what the developers think the market will bear. The next thing planned for that stretch is a Walgreen's where the vacant Luis's Restaurant, and the Mayflower chinese restaurant, are, between L and Capitol. It will also be built up against the sidewalk, about 10,000 square feet, with the parking lot in the back and along the alley side.

I'm sure Majin will hate that too, as it will almost certainly be only one story, have a parking lot, and share the same vaguely Spanish style as the other buildings nearby.

Majin
Apr 7, 2008, 6:19 PM
You're right.

goldcntry
Apr 7, 2008, 8:29 PM
That was too easy a call, wburg! ;)

:tomato:

jsf8278
Apr 7, 2008, 8:37 PM
Wburg an anyone else...

Any update on the 30th & T condo project? This should be a great infill project. I love driving past there every day and seeing the "Eyesore/love/peace" signs up on the fence.

wburg
Apr 7, 2008, 8:43 PM
Wburg an anyone else...

Any update on the 30th & T condo project? This should be a great infill project. I love driving past there every day and seeing the "Eyesore/love/peace" signs up on the fence.

The latest was actually an eyeball with little red squiggles on it. I prefer to think of it as an obscure reference to the Residents.

They were approved by Planning in January, they're hoping things will start moving this year--the first step will be disassembling and transporting the current structure to the Towe Auto Museum.

uzi963
Apr 11, 2008, 9:53 AM
Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 5:19 PM PDT
Sacramento port, The Railyards receive state funding

Sacramento Business Journal - by Melanie Turner Staff writer

The California Transportation Commission on Thursday awarded $30 million for two projects that will improve the flow of goods into and out of the Sacramento region.

The commission programmed $20 million for a city of Sacramento project to realign the Union Pacific railroad tracks downtown to make room for an expanded Sacramento Valley Station.

The rail realignment project will cost an estimated $51.5 million. The rest of the funds will come from local sources. A bend in the track slows trains at the downtown station, creating a bottleneck. The realignment is expected to speed up service through Sacramento and allow for additional freight capacity.

The commission also approved $10 million to dredge about 35 miles of the deep-water ship channel at the Port of Sacramento in West Sacramento. That project will cost an estimated $83 million. About $63 million would come from the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers, and the port would match $10 million.

"We're very pleased that the CTC understood the value of this much-needed project," Mike McGowan, chairman of the Sacramento-Yolo Port District Commission, said in a news release. "Deepening the channel will significantly improve the competitive position of the port as we continue to expand its role in the Sacramento region's economy."

West Sacramento Mayor Christopher Cabaldon said: "This is a project with significant benefits for the Sacramento region and state. It helps to reduce congestion and air emissions, produces material to help strengthen area levees and increases the efficiency with which materials to support the Sacramento region's economic growth can be exported and imported."

Construction on both projects -- the rail realignment and the channel deepening -- is set to begin in 2010, and wrap up in 2012.

The projects were recommended by the Sacramento Council of Governments Board of Directors in December.

Proposition 1B -- the Highway Safety, Traffic Reduction, Air Quality and Port Security Bond Act, adopted in 2006 -- authorized the selling of bonds totaling $19.93 billion, and included $3 billion for a Trade Corridors Improvement Fund.

The commission approved the $3 billion Thursday for projects that are expected to help with freight movement statewide. Northern California's share totaled $825 million.

The state commission also set aside $43 million for Union Pacific track and tunnel improvements at Donner Summit in Placer County. The project will cost an estimated $86.8 million, and expects to make it easier to move goods across the Sierra.

Union Pacific (NYSE: UNP) has pledged to provide up to half of the cost.

TowerDistrict
Apr 11, 2008, 5:23 PM
So Sacramento area projects are getting $30 million of $825 million?

that's about 3%.... everyone sounds happy with that. am i missing something?

ozone
Apr 11, 2008, 5:40 PM
Yeah it would interesting to see where the entire $825 million is going. So is SBJ article a spin?

urban_encounter
Apr 12, 2008, 5:47 PM
So Sacramento area projects are getting $30 million of $825 million?

that's about 3%.... everyone sounds happy with that. am i missing something?

btw i absoultely agree that even working with the bay area Sacramento is still going to get the very short end of the stick. But the short end is better than nothing.

Plus Sacramento really doesn't have it's collective act together in terms of going after what it wants.

Folsom being the lone exception..

Folsom wants light rail it goes after it, it wants two automobile bridges and one pedestrian bridge it goes after it.

We have political leaders in Sacramento like Dave Jones and Darrel Steinberg who oppose new river crossings, we have weak leadership locally that wont call the scraps that the Sacramento region receives scraps.

Something i found funny though was the transportation money for rail upper near Donner Summit was considered part of Sacramento's small share.

I'm happy about the Port money and about the money going to the Railyards. Anything is better than nothing and it is a start. But you're right TD that given the Sacramento area's population of approximately 2.3 million in relation to the 7 million in bay area; the math just doesn't add up.

sugit
Apr 12, 2008, 11:55 PM
Some more renderings from the Design Commission Meeting (http://www.cityofsacramento.org/dsd/meetings/commissions/design/2008/documents/DC-dr07-350Report.pdf).

Looks like the height will be above 300' with the roof.

I wish they would have done a mixed use with some housing on the top couple floors like they did with the Marriot. Even adding 30-40 would have been nice.

Thankfully it looks like they changed the garage a bit and made it blend in a bit more. The rest of the building looks good, but I thought the garage looked terrible.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8371/10151500do2.png

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/1792/74766824te6.png

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/39/21737100wp1.png

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8168/67940558cd1.png

Majin
Apr 13, 2008, 12:27 AM
Looks good but it needs to be about 300 ft taller.

Pistola916
Apr 13, 2008, 3:07 AM
I like it.

foxmtbr
Apr 13, 2008, 8:46 AM
I don't like it.

I love it. :D

jsf8278
Apr 13, 2008, 4:57 PM
The garage on this thing is a little hideous. Maybe it will get some more attention before going forward.

The commission per Staff Recommendation #3 seems to think it should;
"The parking structure massing and materials should be further integrated into the office portion to further mend the facade, and not read starkly as a parking structure. Staff recommends larger scale details of this transitioning or mending of the two uses be presented to the Design Commission."

As much as I don't like how the all the city commissions seem to hold up projects, in the long run I suppose its worth it to have a nicer building that truly complements its neighbors.

arod74
Apr 13, 2008, 7:05 PM
I like it... its not a great design but for the height I think it is a very good one. I think the finished project will be a quality building along the lines of the CalSTRs building. Yes, garage integration can use some tweaking but I think the result would still be better than 621 or what 500 CM will have going on. I drove by 500CM on the way to see the Rivercats and I couldnt believe how thick 500CM is going to be. The floor plates look massive from what I saw. I wish they would have slimmed the building down and gone higher but alas...

Pistola916
Apr 13, 2008, 7:22 PM
Whats the timetable on this thing??

urban_encounter
Apr 13, 2008, 10:19 PM
As much as I don't like how the all the city commissions seem to hold up projects, in the long run I suppose its worth it to have a nicer building that truly complements its neighbors.

I agree..

I'm not keen on holding everything up indefinitely; but if it means a better project, then so be it.

The problem i have is when they hold up projects and we end up with new towers like 621..

Did they fall asleep in regards to the garage on that building?

bc sacramento
Apr 14, 2008, 3:06 AM
I think the likes of 621, CalPERS, the Crocker, and Meridian II have/will really raise the bar for architectural design within the city. There really aren't any other projects I see as foward thinking in modern aesthetics as these.
There is a good amount of other projects in the pipeline, but I think they will be dated within the next decade. The one gripe I have with HOK's 621 design is the parking podium. I guess they ent ahead and mech vented it, but in doing so they created too heavy of a mass at the base.

Sacramento really doesn't have an architectural identity, so here's to hoping that these projects will help create an enlightened architectural identity.

Any thoughts?

Tenebrist
Apr 14, 2008, 6:48 AM
I just found this on Craigslist. Sorry if it's already been brought to this forum's attention.

Retrolodge- Hot new office space-Referral/Finders Fee! (Sacramento Downtown) (map)
Reply to: Retrolodge@Hotmail.com
Date: 2008-04-10, 11:46AM PDT

Differentiate yourself with a unique executive suite in a professional community. Perfect for professionals just getting started, and an ideal option for those needing a work/live satellite office in Sacramento a few days a week.

The Astro and the Elroy, collectively known as Retrolodge, are located on the corner of H and 11th Street in Downtown Sacramento. This offers you immediate access to the city center, just blocks from the State Capitol, City Hall and the Federal Courthouse.

# Featuring: 50 work/live studios from ±280-±632sf
# Common Area Conference Rooms
# Kitchenettes
# Shower/Bathroom Facilities
# Redesigned Interior Courtyard
# Available on-site parking and more!

Retrolodge is the hot new office space in Sacramento!

Email for more information on this great opportunity.

Note: There is a $500.00 referral/finders fee paid to anyone who's referral leads to a lease signing. Details via email.

link: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/off/637471833.html

wburg
Apr 14, 2008, 6:53 AM
Sacramento really doesn't have an architectural identity, so here's to hoping that these projects will help create an enlightened architectural identity.

Any thoughts?

Well, I think I disagree with you about Sacramento's architectural identity or lack of same, but I'd like to hear more about why you think we don't have one.

ozone
Apr 14, 2008, 6:32 PM
Well, I think I disagree with you about Sacramento's architectural identity or lack of same, but I'd like to hear more about why you think we don't have one.

I'd rather hear more about what YOU think our architectural identity is wburg. I have to agree bc. If you took pictures of a bunch of buildings/streetscapes from various California cities (excluding icons/landmarks) and asked people to name the city could they distinguish Sacramento from Stockton, Fresno, Oakland, Chico, San Jose..?

wburg
Apr 14, 2008, 7:48 PM
Not being able to count landmarks isn't exactly fair, ozone, because a city's architectural identity is defined by its landmarks. Your statement also implies that none of those other cities have an architectural identity either.

Sacramento has an eclectic architectural identity, and it really depends on where you look. Downtown's architectural identity is mostly based in various government buildings from the late 19th to mid 20th century. For the most part, the common element tends to be the use of local materials, either Folsom or Rocklin granite or Gladding-McBean tile. Even buildings created with a more traditional Beaux Arts appearance tend to have tile roofs, mostly as a nod to our Mexican California heritage. The anchor of the Capitol has accreted a variety of formal buildings around it, including the state library and office buildings between Ninth and Tenth, the Fruit Building and the Sutter Club across the street, the row of Art Deco buildings along N Street, and the rectangular blandness along Capitol Mall that replaced the previous neighborhood. Both redevelopment and Interstate 5 took out plenty of landmark structures.

In terms of a single architect, Rudolph Herold probably did the largest number of iconic projects in Sacramento, including City Hall and the Masonic lodge on 12th and J.

Outside of the central city, the trees are really the unifying and defining feature, and housing styles that meshed well with both that natural element and the grid street pattern become the identity. While people talk a lot about "Victorians," which normally refers to Italianate or Queen Anne residences, the style that really defines Midtown is the bungalow, either the various revival styles or the Craftsman style, which was intended to integrate the natural landscape into the building's structure. The elevated "High Water Bungalow," built a few feet off the ground, is a style that you really don't see much except in places that flood a lot--basically, here and New Orleans, and sadly most of the ones in New Orleans got washed away by Hurricane Katrina.

In the outer, postwar suburban neighborhoods it's tougher to say, aside from maybe the Streng Bros. homes designed by Carter Sparks (Sacramento's "starchitect" of the 1950s/60s) but it's hard to find much architectural distinction in any residential suburb anywhere.

"Architectural identity" is one of those phrases that makes me raise an eyebrow. How is it defined? How is it expressed in other cities? Why is the design of a building or city more important than its uses or its utility? Is the term being used as an excuse to tear down old stuff and build new stuff, using the lack of "identity" to justify the demolition?

Majin
Apr 14, 2008, 8:33 PM
Ok I am going to go out on a limb here at the risk of a lynching and say maintaining our architectural identity and preservation isn't nearly as important as wburg and other preservationist claim. No I am not calling for the complete irradication of every single historical building in Sacramento but I feel there is way too much emphasis on it at the expense of progress.

Take a look at places like Taiwan, Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul, Dubai, even Las Vegas (although for the most part I hate that place). They don't hesitate for a second on progress over history and those places have been extremely successful.

Can you honestly say that our maintaining our history and our preservation has brought Sacramento prosperity over the last 50-60 years? If the system actually worked, I'd be all for it. But the honest truth is untying the hands of developers so they can bring office/residential in a reasonable timeframe at a reasonable cost is what is going to push this city into the new era. Restoring a historic 1 story warehouse at the cost of $100 million dollars over the span of 5 years just to have a Walgreens fill the space isn't going make this city have more character or advance this city in any measureable way.

It's time for you to get realistic. Thankful from what I read it seems KJ feels the same way.

bc sacramento
Apr 14, 2008, 10:36 PM
W Burg, we will have to agree to disagree on this. How is the Vicotrian (late 1800's) an identity to Sacramento. The Streng brothers dealt mostly with Davis, and at best were a nice attempt at Eichler. I will give it to you that the "Delta-Vctorians" are identifiable, and they are specific to Sacramento and the South.

When I being to think of "identity" I begin to think regional a the macro and micro levels. How does the architecture relate to site and the local climate?
Look at the down-town grid and all you will see are poorly designed state office buildings and spec office buildings (including high-rises).

Let's get off topic a bit too:
Are structures other than the Capitol or the Elk's really historic, just because they are old? 80 years from now are we all going to look back and lable the suburban sprawl of Sacramento as historic.
Shouldn't we preserve architecture that is noteworthy and once thought as forward thinking (at it's inception).
Sacramento as well as many other cities in the US see preservation as a black or white issue. What is stopping us from rehabbing structures in a similar fashion to Western Europe.
That's enough for now.

wburg
Apr 14, 2008, 10:58 PM
W Burg, we will have to agree to disagree on this. How is the Vicotrian (late 1800's) an identity to Sacramento. The Streng brothers dealt mostly with Davis, and at best were a nice attempt at Eichler. I will give it to you that the "Delta-Vctorians" are identifiable, and they are specific to Sacramento and the South.

You're reading my post wrong. I said that while Victorian architecture is what people associate with downtown, the early 20th century styles, including revival styles and Craftsman, are really what you see more of in the central city. People say "Victorian" because they don't know anything about residential architecture--Victorian isn't even an architectural style, it's an era. And while I mentioned the Streng Bros. in passing, it was within the context of saying that the residential postwar suburbs didn't have much style.

When I being to think of "identity" I begin to think regional a the macro and micro levels. How does the architecture relate to site and the local climate?
Look at the down-town grid and all you will see are poorly designed state office buildings and spec office buildings (including high-rises).

Only in the central business district--the overwhelming majority of the central city grid is still tree-lined residential neighborhoods and pedestrian-level retail corridors. The architecture relates to the site by locating above flood waters, either through building elevation or raising the streets, and the to the local climate with porches, street trees, and well-ventilated sun rooms.

Let's get off topic a bit too:
Are structures other than the Capitol or the Elk's really historic, just because they are old? 80 years from now are we all going to look back and lable the suburban sprawl of Sacramento as historic.

Shouldn't we preserve architecture that is noteworthy and once thought as forward thinking (at it's inception).

Most of the postwar suburbs won't last nearly as long because they weren't built as well as the early ones, so preserving those won't really be a big issue. Frankly, they probably won't last, so let's pass up that straw man. Craftsmanship and architectural excellence is one category of historic preservation, but it isn't the only one by any means, or the only reason for preservation to take place. Recognition of local history, in the form of industrial buildings like the Shops, business history in the form of historic office and bank buildings like the D.O. Mills Bank or the Fruit Building, and residential neighborhoods, is just as important as saving the big stuff like City Hall and the capitol. And no, things aren't necessarily historic just because they are old, but oldness is the driving criterion for exploring whether or not a building is historic.

Sacramento as well as many other cities in the US see preservation as a black or white issue. What is stopping us from rehabbing structures in a similar fashion to Western Europe.
That's enough for now.
Nothing, that's why so many historic structures are getting rehabbed! You aren't one of those people who think preservation means letting buildings continue to rot, are you? Preservation means rehabilitation, restoration, reuse and revitalization, not letting things sit vacant!

wburg
Apr 14, 2008, 11:11 PM
Ok I am going to go out on a limb here at the risk of a lynching and say maintaining our architectural identity and preservation isn't nearly as important as wburg and other preservationist claim. No I am not calling for the complete irradication of every single historical building in Sacramento but I feel there is way too much emphasis on it at the expense of progress.

Take a look at places like Taiwan, Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul, Dubai, even Las Vegas (although for the most part I hate that place). They don't hesitate for a second on progress over history and those places have been extremely successful.

There are other preservationists here?

Dubai looks like it does because there's a truly insane amount of money flying around the place, and it's on the edge of a massive desert. Tokyo looks like Tokyo because we bombed the living crud out of Tokyo during World War II and they had no choice but to rebuild on the ashes we left them. Taiwan and Seoul are relatively old cities but I'm sure it would be easy to find plenty of examples of historic buildings being preserved in those cities, but, guess what, preserving historic buildings doesn't actually prevent new buildings from being built! Las Vegas was a two-bit truckstop with a few little gambling houses before the 1950s, and they're pretty much a gigantic icon to inefficiency, wastefulness and the flat-out fact that all the money in the world can't buy taste, so I wouldn't really parade them as an example of success.

Can you honestly say that our maintaining our history and our preservation has brought Sacramento prosperity over the last 50-60 years? If the system actually worked, I'd be all for it. But the honest truth is untying the hands of developers so they can bring office/residential in a reasonable timeframe at a reasonable cost is what is going to push this city into the new era. Restoring a historic 1 story warehouse at the cost of $100 million dollars over the span of 5 years just to have a Walgreens fill the space isn't going make this city have more character or advance this city in any measureable way.

It's time for you to get realistic. Thankful from what I read it seems KJ feels the same way.

Maintaining our history and preservation is exactly what we DIDN'T do over the last 50-60 years. In the postwar era we built suburbs, large portions of the central city were razed and redeveloped in the name of progress, and see how well that turned out! The most densely populated neighborhood in town, and home of a thriving nightclub and entertainment district, was completely destroyed, and replaced by a mall of boring buildings that turns into a ghost town after 5 PM. We destroyed more neighborhoods to build highways through town, and all it did was encourage people to move to the suburbs. If we really embraced our history and preservation over the past 50-60 years, there would be a Moorish-style movie theater on Alhambra and K instead of a Safeway.

Meanwhile, the part of the central city that they didn't get around to destroying (midtown) evolved into a center of culture, vitality, diversity and creativity that draws people from around the region to enjoy our beautiful historic architecture and our wonderful trees. Property values in the historic districts are much higher than newer residential neighborhoods, even in the midst of a nationwide real estate collapse cycle, and, gee, last weekend 10,000 or so people crowded the streets of midtown! So yes, I'd call that success and prosperity.

Unless your only definition of success is limited to "there are a bunch of skyscrapers there." If it is we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

bc sacramento
Apr 14, 2008, 11:57 PM
I have to say Wburg has made some nice points. There is the problem with the delight and the wonderful dream of rehab, preservation, and reuse. That problem is that we live in the city of Sacramento and a majority of the people that have a voice in this matter are so far on the resoration side.

Take a look at the Tate Modern, or the Public Library in Landau, Germany. These projects are what rehab, preservation and reuse should be. Our city has it's own list of signifcant buildings, based on years of age alone! That is outrageous. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying tear down all building older than 40 years old. I have been a LEED AP for the past 5 years and I am truly in favor of reusing (e) structures. I actually prefer to do so, becuase I enjoy the contraints they present.

Our city does not understand the other half you explained in your post. They only see the restoration of historic structures as the main quality in the preservation process. And my question is, "Why?"

wburg
Apr 15, 2008, 12:15 AM
I have to say Wburg has made some nice points. There is the problem with the delight and the wonderful dream of rehab, preservation, and reuse. That problem is that we live in the city of Sacramento and a majority of the people that have a voice in this matter are so far on the resoration side.

Take a look at the Tate Modern, or the Public Library in Landau, Germany. These projects are what rehab, preservation and reuse should be. Our city has it's own list of signifcant buildings, based on years of age alone! That is outrageous. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying tear down all building older than 40 years old. I have been a LEED AP for the past 5 years and I am truly in favor of reusing (e) structures. I actually prefer to do so, becuase I enjoy the contraints they present.

Our city does not understand the other half you explained in your post. They only see the restoration of historic structures as the main quality in the preservation process. And my question is, "Why?"

No. The city's list of historic structures is not based on years alone. A structure has to be at least 50 years old to qualify as a historic structure, but it isn't automatic: it has to qualify under one of four criteria (which matches federal criteria for historic buildings): significant due to some historic event, due to association with a historic individual, due to architectural or craftsmanship merit, or likely to reveal further archaeological information.

You're also wrong about how our city deals with historic preservation. Buildings sit vacant because developers want them to deteriorate enough to let the city knock them down, not because the city wants them vacant and dilapidated.

Take a look at the Public Market building (the Sheraton) or MARRS or the Arnold Bros. building or, heck, Hot Italian at 16th and Q and you'll see similar projects to the sort you pointed out--we're already doing it. I think you're a bit behind the times, bc.

snfenoc
Apr 15, 2008, 12:16 AM
I have not traveled enough (although I have been around the block once or twice) to state whether Sacramento has a distinct architectural identity. All I know is I like what I see (well, except for the Buzz Boxes, the county buildings, some of the old cheap-o apartment buildings, the vacant/surface parking lots, and a couple of the high rises). To me, Sacramento has a very comfortable "Any Town, USA" feel to it. I've spoken to a number of visitors, and most of them express the same sentiment. I will admit structures like the Crapitol, the Tower Bridge, Darth Vader, and even the Water Intake Facility are defining pieces. Still, taken as a whole (and from the street level), Sacramento's style is very comfortable and familiar. I’m not saying it’s bland (everywhere); it just has a very homey characteristic to it. The Big Easy Chair.

Now on to preservation: History is important, there's no doubt about that. Looking back on our past allows us to correct/avoid mistakes made and to take inspiration from those things that went right (or wrong). That's why there is nothing like a good archive. But an archive does not have to include actual pieces - photographs, blue prints, articles, books, etc. are very useful. While the loss of a historically important building is not (always) desirable, its importance can be archived in other ways than simply letting it stand. Saving a great old building at the expense of progress is not necessary. Sadly, historians tend to get emotionally attached to their subjects - the result is a radical, oppose any change, preservationist special interest group. (Just what we need is another group of people who think they are owed something.) These preservationists say dumbass things like, "Any new building must contribute to the built environment." That's just another way of saying, "We don't want any of yer kind 'round here. Now git!!" I say, gadfly history "buffs" be damned. As much as I love great old buildings, I'd rather let the market, actual property owners (not busy bodies who think they own property) and investors decide. But then again, I'm just a "hysterical" freedom-lover, what do I know?

With that said, if I owned the Alhambra Theater, I like to think I would have found a way to preserve its use or reuse its structure.

wburg
Apr 15, 2008, 3:39 AM
I'd rather let the market, actual property owners (not busy bodies who think they own property) and investors decide.
They've decided. The number of historic buildings under renovation throughout town should be living proof that the market, actual property owners, and investors are very interested in historic preservation and adaptive reuse. Instead of a sky full of cranes, we've got a midtown full of scaffolding doing home rehabs and structure conversions.

Too many of you seem to think that old buildings are useless, and that preservation is about keeping them useless. You're wrong--and it is the market, not the preservation community, that are proving my point.

These preservationists say dumbass things like, "Any new building must contribute to the built environment." That's just another way of saying, "We don't want any of yer kind 'round here. Now git!!"

You're wrong about this too. If you'd like to attribute this quote to someone in particular, please indicate who said it and when, otherwise I'm just going to assume you made it up, because it's kind of silly.

There's a popular delusion here that the preservation community doesn't want to see anything built ever, and thus they can be blamed for any developer's failure to execute a product. This is wrong to the point of being laughable, so thanks for the chuckle, but, no, you're wrong.

I'm constantly reminded of the story of the poor old Russian Jew reading an anti-Semitic tract about how the Jews controlled everything. A friend asked, "Why do you read that trash?" The old fellow said, "I like to read about how powerful they think we are!"

Because, the fact is, the preservation community in this town is pretty small and not very powerful. The city's preservation staff consists of two full-time employees, one of whom is out on maternity leave. The Preservation Commission has the least authority of the various city commissions. But you kids seem utterly convinced that we're the secret ZOG conspiracy that dominates the city!

Why do I read this trash? Because it's fun to read how powerful you think we are.

snfenoc
Apr 15, 2008, 6:58 AM
I think old buildings are useless, and preservation is meant to keep them that way? Nope, not true. I am very excited by the preservation happening in Sacramento. Just what we need, more law, CPA and dentist offices. All kidding aside, old structures can contribute a lot to a city. They certainly add a bit of warmth. Those (houses) that escape the conversion to offices, add life (after 5 pm and on weekends). Midtown with all its "Victorian" (Italianate, Queen Anne, etc.) and mid century buildings is truly wonderful. If a developer wants to reuse/rehab/preserve an old structure, then more power to him/her. Great. I am happy to see those scaffolds. (I wonder how many hoops the property owners/developers had to jump through with city's preservation department before they could put up those scaffolds).

I only have a problem when a developer/property owner is compelled (either by regulation or threats from preservationist groups) to reuse/rehab/preserve an old building (or change the design of a new building to fit the "built environment"). For me, it's not a conflict between "old" and "new". Instead, it's a conflict between regulation and freedom; and 99 times out of 100, I'm going to side with freedom. You don't tell me what to do with my property and I don't tell you what to do with yours.

By the way, wburg, don't be so modest. Whether it's draconian height limits and step backs to "protect" a view of the Crapitol or the demand for a building to be redesigned because it's too sleek (does not fit the built environment) and it interferes with certain views (from the top floor of Shitty Hall) of the Cathedral, people who think like you do have a significant effect what gets built in Sacramento.

Finally, wburg, do you honestly believe I blame preservationists because the Towers, Aura, Epic, The Crapital Grand, etc. never materialized? Well, I don't. And I doubt anybody on this board does (well, maybe Majin). Bad economic times combined Sacramento's relatively small, poor-ass market had more to do with it. However, I do think preservationists can complicate an already complicated process. Don't agree? Maybe you should ask John Saca.

wburg
Apr 15, 2008, 2:29 PM
You're mixing up preservation and politics. The council's snubbing of Saca has little to do with their interest in preservation and lots to do with their opinion of Saca. Preservation becomes the scapegoat, not the cause.

doriankage
Apr 15, 2008, 5:20 PM
Hello everybody!
It has been awhile since I posted. I've moved from California to beautiful Andalusia, Spain.
Anyway, this caught my attention:
Taiwan and Seoul are relatively old cities but I'm sure it would be easy to find plenty of examples of historic buildings being preserved in those cities,

As a person who has lived in Seoul, there are not that many old buildings. While there are a handful, and when I say handful I mean it, they are generally replica of original buildings. Most of us forget or don't know that Seoul was practically leveled during the Korean War. My apartment was 15 years old. It was in an area called Yongsan-Dong, which by the way is a sister city of Sacramento, residents considered it old.
Seoul, is on a huge building program to go up. Why? Not a lot of land like Sac. Very hilly, so the only way to go is up.

I also agree with Majin. Lets untie the developers hands and see what they can bring to the table. I don't think we should get rid of our history, but be be selective of what we save and don't save.
Now, I wouldn't go and level midtown and get rid of everything including the trees, but lets see what the developers bring to the new areas of downtown. I doubt anyone in the city has said, "hey! If we were to give you free reign of an area, and with no city subsidy, what could you create?"

I think Sacramentans remember the Alhambra. Beautiful building torn down for a supermarket. People have vowed to never let it happen again. However, the few are holding back progress to the point that it is ridiculous. Need to find that balance. Enough of my rant!
What was the topic again???

econgrad
Apr 15, 2008, 7:32 PM
^ Thank you!

wburg
Apr 16, 2008, 3:05 AM
doriankage: Okay then, I stand corrected--Seoul is a city where the old stuff got blown up, thus it wasn't there to be preserved. And since there isn't much space and hilly country, they built up rather than out.

I really shouldn't give Majin any ideas...maybe he'll come up with a plot to send a flight of B-29s to drop incendiary bombs all over midtown!

snfenoc
Apr 16, 2008, 5:24 AM
Update Time. I took these photos this weekend:

Trammell Crow is still dirt

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_01.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_02.jpg

Mercy's Big Stucco Box

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_03.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_04.jpg

Sutter Medical Building:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_05.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_06.jpg

Loftworks' Artsy Sutter Building

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_07.jpg

Do you feel the unity?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_08.jpg

What Follows is Obsession #1 - 500 Crapitol Mall

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_09.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_10.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_11.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_12.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_13.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_14.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_38.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_39.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_40.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_41.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_42.jpg

What follows is Obsession #2 - CalSTRS

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_26.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_27.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_28.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_29.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_30.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_31.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_32.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_33.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_34.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_35.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_36.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_37.jpg

Obsessions Over. Now on to So Crap Lofts

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_15.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_16.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_18.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_19.jpg

Tapestry Square

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_20.jpg
All the same color and style? I guess people can only afford the cheap-o ones. I wonder how many big ones with the brick facade we will see.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_21.jpg

The State's ugly dead spot. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_22.jpg

CROCKer Expansion

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_23.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_25.jpg

Orleans "Hotel"

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_43.jpg

They are putting up a brick facade for the sides and back
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_44.jpg

16th Street Lofts (Cooper Union)
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_45.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_46.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_47.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_48.jpg

Retro Lodge (I don't know which one is Astro and which one is Elroy)

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_49.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_50.jpg

Roos Atkins

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_51.jpg

10th & K Cabaret

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_52.jpg

The Citizen Hotel has some new windows

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_53.jpg

Some 18th and L Love

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_54.jpg

It's being lived in
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_55.jpg

Don't forget 621 Crapitol Mall

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_56.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_57.jpg

It looks like they are putting up some sterile metal artsy tube thingy in the lobby
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_58.jpg

Some TB Love

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_64.jpg

I tell you, now is the time to start walking around. I just love Sacramento in the spring. Well, my hay fever doesn't.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_59.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_60.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_61.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_62.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb297/snfenoc/Construction%20Update%204-08/DSC_63.jpg

That's it. Until next month, I bid you peace. Vote Ron Paul!

uzi963
Apr 16, 2008, 7:25 AM
beautiful set of pics

JeffZurn
Apr 16, 2008, 4:09 PM
Excellent pictures, I am glad to see that 500CM is going to have the glass spire going up the north and the south side of the building. Should look sharp!

TowerDistrict
Apr 16, 2008, 4:28 PM
Great pics Steve!

here's some news on the Citizen front...

History becomes hip at new downtown Sacramento hotel
By Bob Shallit - bshallit@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D3 (http://www.sacbee.com/shallit/story/865299.html)

--

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2008/04/15/19/481-3B16BUILDING.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.JPG

--

An artist's rendering reveals what the Citizen Hotel in downtown Sacramento will look like when it opens at year's end.
William Murphy

Sacramento's newest downtown citizen is shaping up as a bit of a split personality. And that's exactly what developers of the Citizen Hotel, at 10th and J streets, have in mind.

The 14-story hotel, which has been covered in scaffolding for weeks, is still seven months away from opening. But workers recently finished two "model" guest rooms that give a glimpse of what's coming: rich fabrics and only-in-Sacramento political touches. Like lamps and sconces with fabric shades depicting the state Constitution. (Great for insomniacs.) And framed prints of political cartoons by the late Newton Pratt, a Sacramento Bee editorial cartoonist for more than 30 years.

The rooms are "relatively conservative with a humorous twist," says hotel managing director Brian Larson. The overall effect: "Haberdashery," he says, noting the striped walls could serve as a clothing palette for "a gentleman from a certain political era gone by."

But the rooms – and traditional elements like the building's classic exterior and marble staircase – contrast with features designed to reflect the city's "sexy, cool, urbane" side, says Chip Conley, founder of Joie de Vivre Hotels, the hotel operator.

Upping the hipness quotient: the red-hued lobby with law- library motif, an upscale restaurant (as yet unnamed) with a two-story wine tower, and a mezzanine bar with DJs spinning tunes.

Conley says it all fits with Sacramento's younger side that's now becoming more visible downtown.

"There's a whole new energy here," he says.

Coming home: Speaking of the Citizen, give some credit for its arrival to Larson, who's got some roots in the Sacramento hotel business.

He was the Joie de Vivre Hotels exec in San Francisco who first scouted Sacramento for a possible lodging site, back in 2005. He "discovered" the 1920s-era office tower – and suggested it become city's first high-rise boutique hotel.

Larson's reward? He'll run the place after it opens Nov. 8. Until then, he's keeping an eye on construction, helping develop the restaurant's concept and taking advance reservations. (One couple has already booked the restaurant for their wedding on New Year's Eve.)

Larson, 50, has worked twice before in Sacramento – at the former Red Lion Inn on Arden Way in the early 1980s and at the Hyatt Regency later that decade. His first child – a girl – was born while he was at the Red Lion. He's had three more daughters since.

"This," he says, standing in the lobby of his hotel-to-be, "is my fifth child."

--

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2008/04/15/19/367-3B16ROOM.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.JPG

arod74
Apr 16, 2008, 8:20 PM
Thanks for the pics snfenoc, great work on the photo tour as usually. I have to drive past the new Mercy building daily and it is as you say one great big stucco eyesore. First, all the architectual "accents" look like the commercial equivalent to that horrible, cheap styrofoam popout trim you see going up in ever tract home these days. Second, who picked out the paint colors, Helen Keller? I was praying it was some sort of primer but it looks like my retinas are out of luck. Jeez, its right up on the freeway too so no way to hide its ugliness. Hopefully some really big trees can obscure it ASAP. On the plus side, the Citizen looks great and Shallit's writeup sounds really promising..

cozmoose
Apr 16, 2008, 10:54 PM
Update Time. I took these photos this weekend:

What Follows is Obsession #1 - 500 Crapitol Mall

Obsessions Over. Now on to So Crap Lofts

Don't forget 621 Crapitol Mall

Thats lot of "crap"! ;)

sugit
Apr 17, 2008, 12:19 AM
Sweet shots, Steve.

doriankage
Apr 17, 2008, 5:40 AM
Great pics Steve!

here's some news on the Citizen front...

History becomes hip at new downtown Sacramento hotel
By Bob Shallit - bshallit@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D3 (http://www.sacbee.com/shallit/story/865299.html)

--

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2008/04/15/19/481-3B16BUILDING.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.JPG

--

An artist's rendering reveals what the Citizen Hotel in downtown Sacramento will look like when it opens at year's end.
William Murphy

Sacramento's newest downtown citizen is shaping up as a bit of a split personality. And that's exactly what developers of the Citizen Hotel, at 10th and J streets, have in mind.

The 14-story hotel, which has been covered in scaffolding for weeks, is still seven months away from opening. But workers recently finished two "model" guest rooms that give a glimpse of what's coming: rich fabrics and only-in-Sacramento political touches. Like lamps and sconces with fabric shades depicting the state Constitution. (Great for insomniacs.) And framed prints of political cartoons by the late Newton Pratt, a Sacramento Bee editorial cartoonist for more than 30 years.

The rooms are "relatively conservative with a humorous twist," says hotel managing director Brian Larson. The overall effect: "Haberdashery," he says, noting the striped walls could serve as a clothing palette for "a gentleman from a certain political era gone by."

But the rooms – and traditional elements like the building's classic exterior and marble staircase – contrast with features designed to reflect the city's "sexy, cool, urbane" side, says Chip Conley, founder of Joie de Vivre Hotels, the hotel operator.

Upping the hipness quotient: the red-hued lobby with law- library motif, an upscale restaurant (as yet unnamed) with a two-story wine tower, and a mezzanine bar with DJs spinning tunes.

Conley says it all fits with Sacramento's younger side that's now becoming more visible downtown.

"There's a whole new energy here," he says.

Coming home: Speaking of the Citizen, give some credit for its arrival to Larson, who's got some roots in the Sacramento hotel business.

He was the Joie de Vivre Hotels exec in San Francisco who first scouted Sacramento for a possible lodging site, back in 2005. He "discovered" the 1920s-era office tower – and suggested it become city's first high-rise boutique hotel.

Larson's reward? He'll run the place after it opens Nov. 8. Until then, he's keeping an eye on construction, helping develop the restaurant's concept and taking advance reservations. (One couple has already booked the restaurant for their wedding on New Year's Eve.)

Larson, 50, has worked twice before in Sacramento – at the former Red Lion Inn on Arden Way in the early 1980s and at the Hyatt Regency later that decade. His first child – a girl – was born while he was at the Red Lion. He's had three more daughters since.

"This," he says, standing in the lobby of his hotel-to-be, "is my fifth child."

--

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2008/04/15/19/367-3B16ROOM.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.JPG

First, I am surprised no one in Sacramento has slammed this project!. Incredible.
This project is the type of civic preservation that the city needs. Take the old and put a modern twist on to it.
This and the Elks tower with its restaurant says a lot about this city. Save the past for the future. Do most of the buildings on K street need to be saved? A couple, but if it doesn't then put something new up.
Great job! Hope more projects like this come up in the future.

arod74
Apr 17, 2008, 3:15 PM
First, I am surprised no one in Sacramento has slammed this project!. Incredible.
This project is the type of civic preservation that the city needs. Take the old and put a modern twist on to it.
This and the Elks tower with its restaurant says a lot about this city. Save the past for the future. Do most of the buildings on K street need to be saved? A couple, but if it doesn't then put something new up.
Great job! Hope more projects like this come up in the future.

I'm a little confused by your comments doriankage. Why would anyone in Sacramento or any other city slam a project like this. Taking a great existing building with loads of architectual charm and turning it into a well preserved boutique hotel after being ignored for some time seems like a no-brainer to me. As for some of the other buildings on K street, I would say yes many are still well worth preserving. Many have been neglicted for so long and had so many changes for the worse as far as the interiors and facades that it is hard to see the worth in some of them so it isn't as simple as just bull dozing and slapping up something new. Besides, with all the legal haggling going on over the land swap between the City and Mohanna it will be a while before we see a lot of action.

innov8
Apr 17, 2008, 3:21 PM
I remember a while back when the first rendering of the base were released,
wberg was not happy about the atrium saying it destroyed some aspect of
the building. But it's reuse, and that's a good thing right?

wburg
Apr 17, 2008, 4:35 PM
It's not really an either/or thing. The terrarium on the side is a problem for several reasons. It may threaten the building's ability to claim historic building tax credits or other grants, because the new construction doesn't meet the Secretary of Interior's standards for building rehabilitation.

The other problem is that the terrarium takes over public right-of-way on the sidewalk, rather than the building's original footprint, which creates the rather uncomfortable precedent that buildings can now take over chunks of the sidewalk, not with temporary structures like an external patio but with permanent, enclosed structures that become part of the building.

City staff included language stating that it wouldn't be considered a precedent--but it's kind of like leaving the barn door open and pinning a sign to it that says "This barn door is not actually open, so please do not exit the building without pretending to open the barn door."

Part of adaptive reuse is making use of vacant buildings--but this building wasn't vacant. Before this conversion started, 926 J was an occupied office building with ground floor retail, so this isn't like the projects at Woolworth's that reactivate a vacant building. The idea is that a boutique hotel is a "higher and better" use, aka higher and better tax revenues.

doriankage
Apr 17, 2008, 6:01 PM
I'm a little confused by your comments doriankage. Why would anyone in Sacramento or any other city slam a project like this. Taking a great existing building with loads of architectual charm and turning it into a well preserved boutique hotel after being ignored for some time seems like a no-brainer to me. As for some of the other buildings on K street, I would say yes many are still well worth preserving. Many have been neglicted for so long and had so many changes for the worse as far as the interiors and facades that it is hard to see the worth in some of them so it isn't as simple as just bull dozing and slapping up something new. Besides, with all the legal haggling going on over the land swap between the City and Mohanna it will be a while before we see a lot of action.
The first part of this was sarcasm! It was directed at those in the city/region who are opposed to anything that enhances the worth of Sac.
I actually love this project. I wish it was open when I was last in Sac. I won't be able to stay there for at least three years.

Now, as far as K street...you are right. There are several buildings on K street worth saving. But there are some that need to be torn down.

Mohanna, made a deal and then reneged on it once one of his builds burned down. A building that he was going to tear down anyway according to his rendering of his fantasy buildings.
All I was saying in my cryptic message was:
Love the project.
Don't save all of K street.
Lets get the party started... once the recession is over!

I am very pro growth. My motto is,"Up! Not out."

TowerDistrict
Apr 17, 2008, 6:46 PM
Part of adaptive reuse is making use of vacant buildings--but this building wasn't vacant. Before this conversion started, 926 J was an occupied office building with ground floor retail, so this isn't like the projects at Woolworth's that reactivate a vacant building. The idea is that a boutique hotel is a "higher and better" use, aka higher and better tax revenues.

The "idea" is a breathe of fresh air into a building that's been on a slow and steady decay. The idea is that this building will not only live another 100 years, but thrive in doing so. Tax revenue isn't an idea, it's fundamental city business. I can assure you the hotel was not borne a plan to boost tax revenue. It was a Sacramento local spotting an opportunity to do something special.

Nostalgics have a short memory and only recall so far as to the condition of this building just before it's current restoration. The nostalgic seem to think this building was always a refuge for non-profit organizations, when it was in fact built for the lobbyists, lawyers, dentists and other high-earning professionals. I've read so many stories and comments about this building and its past and they all come to one conclusion... What was once the most exclusive office building in Sacramento slowly fell into disrepair, whereby small non-profits were able to take advantage of a temporary situation of low rents with a great location. That temporary situation is over and now. It couldn't last and anyone with a lease in that building knew it.

Every tenant in that building was about to be vacated anyway for a massive overhaul that would've resulted in the same office configuration with much higher rents. Thankfully, the building is now seeing a much more creative use. I mean, if you want some Class A space, there's not much a shortage of it in this city.

I'm ecstatic about this project for a number of reasons - from it's renovation to the restaurant, bar, ballroom and roof terrace. Projects like these seem to have an air of exclusivity, but they actually create a ton of opportunity to experience the building. For instance... the first time I ever had a reason and opportunity to go into the Elks Building was having a drink at McCormick & Schmick's.

Here's a great comment from someone who can obviously recall a lot further back than the last 15 years...

dms2000 at 12:44 PM PST Wednesday, April 16, 2008 said:

Fantastic!

This is one of the most exciting downtown projects going. The 926 J Building was once the classiest business address in Sacramento and home to many of our city's business and professional elite. It had a very special grandeur and a 1930's atmosphere. The soda fountain-style lunch counter on the 10th Street side was a magical throwback to simpler times. Sash windows that opened fully meant executive desks all had a paper weight or two (made by their kids at summer camp). With a window open, you could hear the sidewalk vendor calling, "Getcher Bee paper!" Lots of marble, "chicken wire" hexagonal floor tile in the bathrooms, and an open lobby staircase all the way to the penthouse floor. This is a GREAT restoration and preservation project. I can't wait to see it all done.

sactosam
Apr 18, 2008, 3:37 AM
I would like to know if anyone knows whats being built by the old earthlink building?

sugit
Apr 18, 2008, 3:48 AM
12-story office building. Being built by Jon Kelley, founder of River City Bank. Rumor is they will move their HQ there.

I'm very interested to see what type of business lease space here.

http://www.lpasacramento.com/photos_projects/Natomas%20East3.gif

sactosam
Apr 18, 2008, 4:00 AM
Thanks!

sugit
Apr 18, 2008, 4:11 AM
No problem.

It almost looks like a mini CalSTRS building. Except it has a couple breaks on the facade.

Majin
Apr 18, 2008, 7:18 PM
Any update on The Metropolitian? I got money burning a hole in my pocket and need to spend it.

innov8
Apr 18, 2008, 7:20 PM
Last I heard it was being revised, maybe will see something by summer?

Majin
Apr 18, 2008, 7:27 PM
Hopefully see construction by summer.

TowerDistrict
Apr 18, 2008, 8:58 PM
My pessimistic guess would be that even if Saca is allowed to proceed with the building, he'll sit on it for a while. That's what they're doing with Cathedral Square anyway. And they're a very similar product, in the same location, anticipating the same buyer.

Majin
Apr 18, 2008, 9:14 PM
They need to just get it started with either (or both) of those buildings, I'm ready to thrown down some money as soon as either of them are taking deposits.

Cynikal
Apr 18, 2008, 10:57 PM
Last I heard it was being revised, maybe will see something by summer?

I heard something about a large hole in the 5-7th floors to accomodate someones wishes for an unobstructed view. :banana:

TowerDistrict
Apr 18, 2008, 11:49 PM
I heard something about a large hole in the 5-7th floors to accomodate someones wishes for an unobstructed view. :banana:

haha.

or maybe they can paint over the building with a mural of the Cathedral and a blue sky with puffy clouds and smiley sun!

urban_encounter
Apr 19, 2008, 2:22 PM
My pessimistic guess would be that even if Saca is allowed to proceed with the building, he'll sit on it for a while. That's what they're doing with Cathedral Square anyway. And they're a very similar product, in the same location, anticipating the same buyer.

I agree. I doubt we'll see anything before 2012..

Just a guess and nothing more.

SuburbanRefugee
Apr 21, 2008, 10:53 PM
I thought some of you might be interested in this article....

Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:35 PM PDT
Partnership for Prosperity seeks input on regional improvements
Sacramento Business Journal - by Michael Shaw Staff writer

Those who want to see more kid-friendly events in Sacramento, upgraded river walks or more recreational activities, can vote on what improvements they would like in the region through May 10 as part of a traveling exhibit.

Partnership for Prosperity is seeking resident input for its Experiences exhibit. The exhibit is at Sunrise Mall in Citrus Heights and moves to the Roseville Galleria on Friday before returning to Sacramento's Cesar Chavez Park on May 8.

The effort is being made to solicit suggestions for improved amenities such as sports and entertainment venues, museums and art galleries, agri-tourism and other categories. Partnership for Prosperity was formed by more than 35 economic development organizations, including the Sacramento Area Commerce and Trade Association and the Sacramento Metro Chamber.

People can also cast votes online at www.pfpexperiences.com.

http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2008/04/21/daily11.html?surround=lfn

creamcityleo79
Apr 22, 2008, 4:26 AM
FINALLY!!....and this is GREAT news for the surrounding area!!
SyWest retail and theater complex lands county approval
Sacramento Business Journal - by Kelly Johnson Staff writer

A long-awaited $116.5 million shopping center, planned for a decade to be built on the site of the drive-in theater west of Rancho Cordova, has cleared its last major hurdle.

SyWest Development LLC has gained tentative approval from Sacramento County leaders for The Landing retail and theater complex on 38 acres at Highway 50 and Bradshaw Road. The 439,700-square-foot center is scheduled to return Wednesday to the Board of Supervisors for a final vote on conditions of approval and a financing plan for roadway improvements.

SyWest anticipates starting site work this fall and opening in spring 2010, said Bill Vierra, SyWest president and chief operating officer. Anchors will include a Marshalls department store, a Michaels arts and crafts store, Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy and a Century Theatres multiplex with about 3,860 seats. In all, the center is expected to have 45 to 50 tenants.

The Landing is considered by some to be a catalyst project that can spur housing infill development nearby within Sacramento County's unincorporated area as well as investment, and reinvestment, in the nearby city of Rancho Cordova.

The shopping center is expected to generate about $1.3 million in sales-tax revenue by 2011 and create 800 jobs.

The Landing is a sizable project that will bring "good energy and activity" to the Folsom Boulevard corridor, said Don Nottoli, the Sacramento County supervisor who represents the district.

The center will draw regionally, and its anchor tenants, not currently in that trade area, will fill a void, said Bob Nolasco, a Grubb & Ellis retail broker. His client Dick's Sporting Goods is considering taking 50,000 square feet in The Landing.

Neighborhood residents said they're glad they will have shopping, dining and indoor theaters nearby. Traffic already is congested at Bradshaw and 50 and at Bradshaw and Folsom Boulevard, but residents said they think planned roadway and traffic signal improvements will help.

"We're delighted to have what appears to be a first-rate shopping venue," said Terry Dugan, vice president of the 500-member Rosemont Community Association.

The project has been delayed over the past decade as SyWest, a subsidiary of Syufy Enterprises, dealt with environmental and traffic concerns, revised its plans and assembled additional property.

One big issue has been determining to what degree The Landing could and should fit with the county's desire to develop land along light rail in a way that will support transit ridership. At one time, the county had encouraged SyWest to add housing, but the developer said housing wouldn't work.

Shops, restaurants and a theater can be part of the transit-oriented mix, said Tricia Stevens, a Sacramento County principal planner. The commercial development will serve as an engine for nearby development of housing on vacant land and redeveloped land.

"It helps to set the stage for future transit-oriented development in the area," she said.

Another significant concern with the project was ensuring that traffic would flow in and out of the center. The county and nearby residents didn't want a traffic jam akin to the backlog created by shopping centers at Truxel Road and Interstate 80 in Natomas. County officials contend that three lanes turning into and coming out of the center at Oates Drive and Bradshaw will do the trick.

Gaining nearby shops, eateries and movie theaters is worth the additional traffic, said Kevin Jenkins, a member of the Lincoln Village Neighborhood Association, and improved traffic signals will help.

The owner of Zinfandel Square shopping center nearby in Rancho Cordova contends that The Landing will worsen traffic.

"It's going to be a traffic nightmare," said Steve Patterson, a local developer who owns several shopping centers.

He also said The Landing is too far west to help revitalize Rancho Cordova or have any effect on his new shopping center at Folsom Boulevard and Olson Drive.

The Landing is about 60 percent leased; SyWest is in talks with retailers for another 15 percent of the center, Vierra said. While the economy is expected to be in better shape by the time the center opens in two years, the developer faces retailers who want to pay less rent than they would have in better times (see story, page 1). But SyWest has no debt on the land and can hold the line on its rent demands.

The city of Rancho Cordova is eager to see which retailers land at the shopping center so it can court those who don't, said Curt Haven, the city's economic development director.

"I wish it was in the city limits," he said.

SyWest hasn't yet determined when the drive-in will cease operations. Whenever it does, Vierra said he wants to hold a closing party to raise money for charity.

Majin
Apr 22, 2008, 4:32 AM
Who cares, if it's outside of the grid it doesn't exist.

creamcityleo79
Apr 22, 2008, 5:06 AM
Wow! You really are that much of an idiot! Well, over 2 million people who live outside the grid in the Sacramento area think things like this exist...and to the 100,000 or so living in this area who have not had anything like this nearby, it will definitely "exist"! I believe that you're counting out most of the folks on this forum if you truly believe your statement. Anyway, in answer to your question, I care!:yuck:

econgrad
Apr 22, 2008, 9:35 AM

Your a dork dude...I hope your joking.

neuhickman79: This project sounds cool. I just wish the Drive-In Movies could stay somehow. I think I understand how Wburg feels sometimes, its kind of sad for me to lose the drive-ins.

Fusey
Apr 22, 2008, 1:15 PM
Isn't that drive-in the last one in Sac?

wburg
Apr 22, 2008, 1:58 PM
Indeed it is...there used to be a lot of them in these parts! I suppose it's just kinda disappointing that the replacement will be yet another shopping center with the same mix of crap that is in every other shopping center in every other city in every other suburb in the country. I predict the parking lot will be big enough that they could probably leave one of the old screens up and have a drive-in night.

urban_encounter
Apr 22, 2008, 2:52 PM
Indeed it is...there used to be a lot of them in these parts! I suppose it's just kinda disappointing that the replacement will be yet another shopping center with the same mix of crap that is in every other shopping center in every other city in every other suburb in the country. I predict the parking lot will be big enough that they could probably leave one of the old screens up and have a drive-in night.

I agree wholeheartedly....

Losing the last drive-in it is a sad turning point.

:(

doriankage
Apr 22, 2008, 4:20 PM
FINALLY!!....and this is GREAT news for the surrounding area!!

I wonder what people in Rosemont think about this?

creamcityleo79
Apr 22, 2008, 11:26 PM
I wonder what people in Rosemont think about this?
Well, since I live right off of Folsom and Mayhew. So, I believe I can answer as a resident of a neighborhood even closer to the project. Also, I grew up in Rosemont and my mom still lives there. I am very excited about this project. It has been a LONG time coming. As a matter of fact, I remember a year or two after graduating HS (Class of 96), I went to a movie with my HS friends at the Century in Roseville and saw a map of the Sacramento area with a "Coming Soon" marker at 50 and Bradshaw. Imagine if you lived in this area and had to drive to the Arden Fair area or the Sunrise Mall area for a good electronics store. Some parts of this neighborhood have been here for 50+ years and the best we have as far as an electronics store goes is a Radio Shack on Kiefer Blvd. We can go to WalMart or Target for a limited amount of electronics. But, something along the lines of Best Buy is non-existent. Read the article, the local neighborhood associations were happy with the retail being brought to the area. Also, Rosemont is a little far removed from this area to be impacted heavily by the traffic. The east boundary of Rosemont is Bradshaw. But, typically, Rosemont is thought of being West of Mayhew and South of Hwy 50. So, the only negative for those living in Rosemont is a little more traffic on Bradshaw and the Bradshaw interchange with 50. It won't be enough of a hassle for people to put up a fight over this project. Unless they are so nostalgic of the drive-in that they try to stop the project.

Majin
Apr 22, 2008, 11:45 PM
Move out of the boonies, problem solved.

creamcityleo79
Apr 23, 2008, 3:35 AM
Move out of the boonies, problem solved.
Move to your dreamland Shanghai...or Dubai...or Vegas!...problem solved!!

Majin
Apr 23, 2008, 3:57 AM
Move to your dreamland Shanghai...or Dubai...or Vegas!...problem solved!!

I have no desire to move to any of those places.

creamcityleo79
Apr 23, 2008, 4:21 AM
I have no desire to move to any of those places.
Then, stop talking about turning Sacramento into those places!

Majin
Apr 23, 2008, 7:14 AM
Then, stop talking about turning Sacramento into those places!

Whoever said I wanted to turn Sacramento into those places? I may have pointed to those cities as examples of progress without the need to be a preservation nazi, doesn't mean I want Sacramento to become the next Dubai.

goldcntry
Apr 23, 2008, 3:17 PM
As a current Rosemont (red-headed step child of Sac County), I am SYKED and can't wait for this project to be completed.

Yes, there is a bit of nostalgia at the loss of this theatre... this was the drive-in I first saw Star Wars as a wee lad of seven, perched on the top of the family station wagon with my older step-sisters. Saddly, the drive-in has decayed and declined so much so that I stopped going because of safety concerns. This whole section has been an eyesore and a blotch of blight on the neighborhood for far too long.

wburg
Apr 23, 2008, 4:44 PM
Whoever said I wanted to turn Sacramento into those places? I may have pointed to those cities as examples of progress without the need to be a preservation nazi, doesn't mean I want Sacramento to become the next Dubai.

That's right--you said you wanted Sacramento to resemble Tokyo.

No, I want Sac to resemble Tokyo.

Majin
Apr 23, 2008, 5:21 PM

You have a good memory.

TowerDistrict
Apr 23, 2008, 5:58 PM
Here's the official words on The Bond Companies' (http://www.bondcompanies.com/) proposal (Capitol Villas)

Address: 1500 7TH ST, SACRAMENTO, CA 95814
Parcel Number: 00603000020000
File Date: 3/28/2008
Status Date : 4/7/2008
Fees: $46,172.00
Payments: $46,172.00

Description:

A request for the approval of a Tentative Map, PUD Guidelines and Schematic Plan to allow for the future development of approximately 1,646 dwelling units and 55,000 square feet of retail/commercial uses on approximately 9.46 net acres in the proposed Multi-Family Planned Unit Development (R-5-PUD) and General Commercial Planned Unit Development (C-2-PUD) zones.

Alternative schemes for approximately 500,000 square feet of office space or approximately 200,000 square feet of hotel space on Parcel A will also be considered.

The project requires a General Plan Amendment to re-designate Parcel A from High-Density Residential to Community/Neighborhood Commercial & Office; a Community Plan Amendment to re-designate Parcel A from Multi-Family Residential to Multi-Use; a rezone of Parcel A from R-5 to C-2-PUD and Parcels B, C and D from R-5 to R-5 PUD; PUD Guidelines and Schematic Plan to establish a PUD and a Tentative Map to subdivide the parcels. PUD Guidelines will be submitted at a later date for review.

ltsmotorsport
Apr 23, 2008, 6:50 PM
Do they really think more office space is needed right now with all that's U/C and proposed?

It sounds like this is the super block (with capitol towers), but the address puts it one block over. Did the state sell the underground office building? It was originally one of the blocks going to be used for the West End complex.

TowerDistrict
Apr 23, 2008, 7:25 PM
Hmmm... i just tried with Google Maps and it puts it on the wrong block. Looks like that's a problem with Google Maps though. The address the city has is correct.

(I just changed the location on Google maps - 1500 would not be on the east side of 7th Street, it has to be on the west side)

econgrad
Apr 24, 2008, 4:30 AM

:lmao:

I lived briefly in Shinjuku, and there is no way in hell we would ever be able to build that much infrastructure here in Sacramento in less than 300 years. I wouldn't even address such nonsense....

Fusey
Apr 24, 2008, 1:50 PM
^ It's possible to do that in 30 years! :banana:

In Sim City

TowerDistrict
Apr 24, 2008, 4:08 PM
^ It's possible to do that in 30 years! :banana:

In Sim City

Not in the new version to be released soon.... Sim CEQA

wburg
Apr 24, 2008, 6:17 PM
I lived briefly in Shinjuku, and there is no way in hell we would ever be able to build that much infrastructure here in Sacramento in less than 300 years. I wouldn't even address such nonsense....

Here, we are in agreement...Japanese ideas about city building and personal space are very different from American ideas, the effects of population pressure are profoundly greater in Japan than here, and, as I mentioned a while back, part of why Japanese major cities tend to not have a whole lot of old buildings is because we pretty much bombed them flat during World War II. Americans are learning more about how to live close together again, as it used to be something we did better, and we're learning a thing or two from the folks moving here from more densely populated places. But densities as tight as Tokyo are the product of a very specific sort of society--one unlikely to emerge here.

I just want Sacramento to resemble Sacramento. That doesn't rule out high-rise living or residential density. I'm interested to see how this Capitol Villas project shapes up. I assume they're just covering their options by suggesting an office-focused option, but I'd rather see housing there.

Majin
Apr 24, 2008, 11:14 PM
Ok since no one is posting anything else I'll chime in on the Tokyo issue.

Yes, I understand why Tokyo is full of new buildings and very few old ones remain, and I also understand that land is premium there so living habits are vastly different.

However, why is it so bad to want to bring a little of that lifestyle here? Yes Sacramento should resemble Sacramento and not try to copy what others have done, but whats wrong with evolving by taking a little pieces of what has been successful around the world and molding it into something new and unique?

It seems quite odd that we are all on Skyscaperpage yet as soon as I say "I like Tokyo" I get jumped on by everybody.

Majin
Apr 24, 2008, 11:17 PM
Off topic:

Make sure you guys vote in the California forums to keep the sections seperated as they are thinking about remerging. I'd hate for that to happen as I don't want to go back to the days where I had to filter through all the bay area and LA garbage just to find the threads I need to troll.

econgrad
Apr 24, 2008, 11:18 PM
^
Actually I meant that California and of course Sacramento has too much regulation that hinders development. The Environmentalists say they fight urban sprawl, but create more regulations that raise costs of developments and create a larger urban sprawl problem as well as delay and slow down progress. Which is what I meant in previous posts that we can learn much from China and Japan, because they have dealt with large populations and large developments.

Majin
Apr 24, 2008, 11:27 PM
^
Actually I meant that California and of course Sacramento has too much regulation that hinders development. The Environmentalists say they fight urban sprawl, but create more regulations that raise costs of developments and create a larger urban sprawl problem as well as delay and slow down progress. Which is what I meant in previous posts that we can learn much from China and Japan, because they have dealt with large populations and large developments.

Totally agree thus why I am always questioning BS like the CEQA to the dismay of wburg. Despite things like the CEQA there are policy changes we can make as a city to make development much easier like getting rid of all the review boards that are needed to go from proposal to construction. A NIMBY city council that blocks projects that disrupt their view of the capitol sure as hell don't help either. KJ 08'

Phillip
Apr 25, 2008, 1:31 AM
Hmmm... i just tried with Google Maps and it puts it on the wrong block. Looks like that's a problem with Google Maps though. The address the city has is correct.

This is the second time in a couple weeks that I've seen Google Maps get something wrong in Sacramento.

The new Sheraton Four Points Hotel in North Natomas is at 4900 Duckhorn Drive, 95834. Type that address into Google Maps and they indicate a location on Arena Blvd, south of Arco Arena. The Four Points is actually north of Arco Arena, on Del Paso Road, almost a mile from where Google Maps says it is.

Yahoo Maps locates the Four Points correctly.

sactown_2007
Apr 27, 2008, 9:49 PM
I was downtown today and snapped a few pics myself of 500 Capital Mall and 621 as well (posted them on their forums).

But while I was at 621, I noticed the cars in the parking lot were from people bringing in boxes into their new offices (which is about to open tomorrow I believe) and their children were helping them move in. It was a beautiful sight! :)

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/philip_bryant/IMG_0433.jpg

Several other random pics:

I do like the new parking Kiosks they are installing all through downtown......

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/philip_bryant/IMG_0427.jpg

But not impressed with the wall art at The Towers site -- though better than looking into a pit......

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/philip_bryant/IMG_0442.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/philip_bryant/IMG_0446.jpg

And seriously -- can city council get together to get a better sign than this??? I think the idea is there but the sign itself is lacking....

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/philip_bryant/WELCOMETODOWNTOWNSACRAMENTO.jpg

What is a Rivercat?
Apr 28, 2008, 3:25 PM
^ You think that's bad? At least they didn't go with their original design:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/cvcvcvcv/welcome.jpg