PDA

View Full Version : Tim Hortons Field | 40m | ? | Complete

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46

oldcoote
Sep 2, 2014, 1:44 PM
It is also our stadium.

Then why didn't we build it where we wanted?

CaptainKirk
Sep 2, 2014, 2:36 PM
great bang for our buck

Disgaree.

Putting it back in that neighbourhood gives us very little bang for our buck.

It really does nothing for the city. A West Harbour stadium would have done so much more for our city.

durandy
Sep 2, 2014, 4:48 PM
Disgaree.

It really does nothing for the city. A West Harbour stadium would have done so much more for our city.

A west harbour stadium would have deprived the city of some of the most valuable land in the city. Same for East Mountain. The stadium had to go somewhere that wouldn't have been developed without it. The current location would not have been developed without it.

CaptainKirk
Sep 2, 2014, 7:12 PM
The current location would not have been developed without it.

IIRC, the current location was slated to be sold to developers for btwn $5-$7m dollars, with subsequent private housing paying annual property taxes.

The $5 - $7m was to go towards the WH stadium.

sil
Sep 2, 2014, 9:11 PM
Even though I was for a west harbour Stadium now that I see what it is. Im glad we didnt put it by the harbour with all the changes happening now that land is worth alot more......
I for one think that it wouldn't have been developed if the stadium left the Core so hopefully it spurs anything then what we had prior. City building needs to be for the community and not a pigeon hole for only one winner aka Bob Young. If they can spur onto Barton and King streets then we at least headed in the right direction with renewal..... and maybe share in the pot

durandy
Sep 2, 2014, 9:21 PM
my opinion has always been that the stadium debate was a sideline. The real issue should have been: spend the future fund on a stadium or don't, and on that I think the answer is pretty clear, we got screwed.

Dr Awesomesauce
Sep 3, 2014, 12:06 AM
It is also our stadium.

Oh Ted. It may, in fact, be our stadium but the profits are going elsewhere, right? So then, actually, it's not really ours at all.

I don't know what sort of deal the City signed with the Ti-Cats but how it typically works is the sports franchise takes all the gravy, while the City collects the taxes and perhaps a rental fee. That rental fee is usually minimal, though. The money never makes its way back to city coffers.

Nice looking stadium > Bad investment of tax payer monies...again!

matt602
Sep 3, 2014, 1:34 AM
Isn't that exactly what is happening here though? Ontario Sports Solutions is building the stadium for the Pan-Am games. When it's complete, it's turned over to the City of Hamilton and then the Tiger-Cats pay a fee to the city to use the stadium. They make money off the tickets, merch, ads, etc. That's why OSS has been responsible for paying the Ti-Cats for the missed games, not the City (who doesn't own it yet). As far as I know, the City hasn't been responsible for anything other than the capital that they initially put in (which was still a lot more than the Ti-Cats paid). The cost overruns and screwups were made by the province. All the City has been responsible for thus far was the building permits, inspections and occupancy permit(s).

Don't get me wrong, I do think that this whole thing was heavily mis-managed through cost overruns and ridiculous deadlines and the bullying and flip-flopping from the Ti-Cats over the location definitely killed some opportunities but this is a largely a screw-up at the provincial level. There are gonna be a lot of politicians walking away from these games with some very heavy pockets, for sure.

BCTed
Sep 3, 2014, 3:13 AM
Then why didn't we build it where we wanted?

I will assume (and it may well be an incorrect assumption) that you believe a strong majority of Hamiltonians wanted the stadium at the West Harbour. I honestly don't know if that is true or not, but I (for one) am actually fine with where the stadium ended up, acknowledging full well that it would also have been fun to have some kind of actual stadium precinct or activity area.

king10
Sep 3, 2014, 3:24 AM
Disgaree.

i never meant anything about the location. i meant the facility itself. it couldve been built on an island in the middle of the harbour. im talking about the actual design of the complex.

of course its a shitty location. but the land was free. so again great bang for our buck...

BCTed
Sep 3, 2014, 3:29 AM
Oh Ted. It may, in fact, be our stadium but the profits are going elsewhere, right? So then, actually, it's not really ours at all.

I don't know what sort of deal the City signed with the Ti-Cats but how it typically works is the sports franchise takes all the gravy, while the City collects the taxes and perhaps a rental fee. That rental fee is usually minimal, though. The money never makes its way back to city coffers.

I can buy the argument that government subsidies for sporting venues and/or favourable rental terms for professional sports teams do not have direct payback, but I also do believe that a team like the Hamilton Tiger-Cats offers up a great deal of intangible benefits.

In my opinion, the Ti-Cats are one of the strongest sources of civic pride in Hamilton and are one of the things that gives the city some name recognition in this country. Without the team and a few other rare such institutions, I think that this city would really struggle to differentiate itself from any other town ---- it may as well be nothing more than a blue-collar suburb of Toronto without them. As far as I know, the city is also free to rent out the stadium to other groups and/or hold high school or other sporting events in the stadium.

In short, I think the investment is worth it and am happy there is a new stadium ---- I actually think the building is too bare-bones and would not have minded putting in more bucks to put together something more impressive. That said, if you are not a sports fan or do not care about the outside perception of Hamilton, then it may well not be worth it in your eyes and that is fine.

BCTed
Sep 3, 2014, 3:32 AM
Isn't that exactly what is happening here though? Ontario Sports Solutions is building the stadium for the Pan-Am games. When it's complete, it's turned over to the City of Hamilton and then the Tiger-Cats pay a fee to the city to use the stadium. They make money off the tickets, merch, ads, etc. That's why OSS has been responsible for paying the Ti-Cats for the missed games, not the City (who doesn't own it yet). As far as I know, the City hasn't been responsible for anything other than the capital that they initially put in (which was still a lot more than the Ti-Cats paid). The cost overruns and screwups were made by the province. All the City has been responsible for thus far was the building permits, inspections and occupancy permit(s).

Don't get me wrong, I do think that this whole thing was heavily mis-managed through cost overruns and ridiculous deadlines and the bullying and flip-flopping from the Ti-Cats over the location definitely killed some opportunities but this is a largely a screw-up at the provincial level. There are gonna be a lot of politicians walking away from these games with some very heavy pockets, for sure.

Not sure who should get the blame, but this whole thing has certainly been quite a debacle. I never would have believed that the Tiger-Cats would ever play multiple regular season games in a 6000 seat stadium or that a stadium would open in the condition that Tim Hortons Field did if these things had not actually already happened.

king10
Sep 3, 2014, 3:40 AM

actually the city is making more money off this stadium ($450 000 a year x 20 years) than it did off of ivor wynne ($27 500 per year). the ticats are paying much more in yearly lease expenses and the city will still rent it out for community use. the city also retains $750 000 a year from naming rights which they sold to the cats who in turn sold that to tim hortons. thats $1.2 million a year which only takes 5 years to surpass the estimated value of selling the land. add to that $150 000 per year if the ticats get a soccer team playing in the stadium

in total the city could be making $1.55 million a year off the stadium compared to $27 500 at ivor wynne. the increased revenue streams from the new stadium not only benefit the ticats, but also the city

furthermore the city has scheduling priority over the ticats as well as receiving 50% of revenue from concession sales

the terms of the lease are here
http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/BF21F3C0-F0A6-417E-B8AB-5690E0C6EAD0/0/Feb1983PW14021.pdf

this stadium isn't a great investment but it sure as hell isn't a bad one for the city. you said yourself you didn't know the sort of deal the city signed and used a "typical sports franchise that takes all the gravy" example which is not the case here. over a million dollars a year is making its way back to city coffers

Dr Awesomesauce
Sep 3, 2014, 10:54 AM
^I appreciate the response.

I would have been much happier had this investment been made in a different location. A location with more upside in terms of ROI.

And, incidentally, I am a sports fan. I've just grown weary of cities giving handouts to the wealthy. The City of Hamilton and the Province are in serious trouble and this just isn't the time for such frivolous spending.

Go Cats!

oldcoote
Sep 3, 2014, 1:33 PM
I will assume (and it may well be an incorrect assumption) that you believe a strong majority of Hamiltonians wanted the stadium at the West Harbour. I honestly don't know if that is true or not, but I (for one) am actually fine with where the stadium ended up, acknowledging full well that it would also have been fun to have some kind of actual stadium precinct or activity area.

Not so much that, although I preferred the west harbour. The city had decided on a West Harbour location for our stadium, only to be bullied at the table by Bob Young and co.

A strong mayor would have told the Ti-Cats where to go. Instead we kowtowed. Brutal, unforgivable leadership.

Tyvan
Oct 1, 2014, 10:24 PM
How is work progressing on Tim Hortons Field? Have not seen any pictures of the Ti-Cats locker rooms or under stadium pictures. Anyone know if there is any of those out there?

matt602
Oct 2, 2014, 1:14 AM
Rumor that I read awhile ago said they were supposed to have the upper West stands and luxury boxes done for the next home game but aside from that, I haven't seen or heard anything.

ScreamingViking
Oct 2, 2014, 4:11 AM
How is work progressing on Tim Hortons Field? Have not seen any pictures of the Ti-Cats locker rooms or under stadium pictures. Anyone know if there is any of those out there?

There has been very little of that, probably because the drama has subsided and the delays are old news (though there are still a lot of people waiting for their real seats, and those who have had to wait for their private suites can't be very happy about that).

I imagine more will be shared once everything is done and there's a :fireworks: "grand opening" :fireworks:

king10
Oct 2, 2014, 2:20 PM
All 1000 Clubs seats on the second level will be open this Saturday for the first time.

I believe 4th Level West Side Grand Stand is to be opened October 17th.

Conflicting reports on whether the third level suites will be open Saturday or the 17th.

king10
Oct 2, 2014, 7:35 PM
Drew Edward's confirms the suite level will be open tomorrow as well.

4th deck and press box is all that remains.

The legacy Wall will also be unveiled tomorrow as well as the CFL hall of fame dispay on the club level.

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/

https://twitter.com/rickzamperin/status/517738981161992192

http://www.900chml.com/2014/10/01/22985/

CaptainKirk
Oct 5, 2014, 3:30 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzJke_rCYAA4Ksc.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzJOKICCYAARzTg.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByBdsOqIYAESJT-.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzJOHE7IQAAaQ1f.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzJOKjPCIAA4cKr.jpg

king10
Oct 5, 2014, 1:49 PM
whats going on with that ticat decal on the carpet. is it just a temporary cover until the real one is put in?

notice how it isn't there in the 3rd picture. That picture is from an earlier game, the cats are wearing a different uniform.

jake2u
Oct 22, 2014, 2:57 PM
Hi All,

I have been to every Ti-Cats game at the new stadium and have been quite surprised by how much the wind blows through the stadium. I always thought the wind was from the west in Hamilton, but it looks like it is more from the south-west. I know baseball stadiums have built models and wind tested them before construction. Does anyone know if there was any consideration of how the new stadium's position would affect play on the field?

Cheers,:cheers:

Jake.

SteelTown
Oct 22, 2014, 3:11 PM
It'll only get worst during the fall. With the Harbour water being warmer than the air it'll create more wind and it'll blow straight through the stadium since it's now rotated West/East. The old North stand was blocking the wind.

king10
Oct 22, 2014, 3:55 PM
Hi All,

I have been to every Ti-Cats game at the new stadium and have been quite surprised by how much the wind blows through the stadium. I always thought the wind was from the west in Hamilton, but it looks like it is more from the south-west. I know baseball stadiums have built models and wind tested them before construction. Does anyone know if there was any consideration of how the new stadium's position would affect play on the field?

Cheers,:cheers:

Jake.

Almost all new stadiums are built in the North West configuartion these days. The main reason is so the setting sun is not directly in one teams face thus disadvantaging them. Instead it is setting to the sidelines as opposed to the endzones. That was the logic behind THF. Even when it was East West configuration at Ivor Wynne there were strong winds. When your building a stadium with 2 high stands and open endzones, it acts as a wind tunnel no matter what direction its oriented.

jake2u
Oct 23, 2014, 2:53 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. I figured the new stadium would have solved both the sun and wind issues by being rotated 90 degrees from Ivor Wynne. But as my observations and your input have proven, the wind might end up being worse. Who knew?

Cheers:cheers:

Jake.

king10
Oct 23, 2014, 9:52 PM
ticats have tweeted that for the first time ever all seats will be available for the ticats game nov 8th. the upper west side will finally be opened to the public.

now only some cosmetic features to finish

NortheastWind
Oct 24, 2014, 6:02 AM
As a weather geek, I can say it has just been a coincidence that there has been windy weather for most of the games so far at THF. The stadiums orientation may be a factor however, but I haven't been to a game yet to give my official opinion. The wind can always be a factor at any outdoor game. The prevailing wind BTW jake2u, for Hamilton Airport is WSW.

Also, kudos to my good friend Geoff who painted the dressing room. Good job :)

CaptainKirk
Oct 24, 2014, 11:42 AM
Definitely windier than IWS. Granted it's only been 5 games, and could just be a coincidence, but my entire group has learned pretty fast to put on extra layers.

ScreamingViking
Nov 10, 2014, 3:53 AM
Some pictures from yesterday... The t-shirts placed over the seatbacks for Fan Appreciation Day provide a glimpse into what the stadium would look like with different colour seating.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2C4pzKCMAEvLrJ.jpg:large
Source (https://twitter.com/TheSpec/status/531627785140568064/photo/1)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B18kYIhIYAAEXxY.jpg:large
Source (https://twitter.com/OskieOckham/status/531183278330765313/photo/1)

Dr Awesomesauce
Nov 10, 2014, 11:54 AM
Ha! Very interesting. Again, I'm surprised how good the grey seats look. I wanted yellow.

king10
Nov 10, 2014, 3:52 PM
After seeing those pictures I like they Grey/Silver with an accent of Yellow at the Top. The stadium looks a lot cleaner with the lighter grey/silver and accented yellow.

I still question why they put the elevator shafts where they did. Really makes expanding the upper west side difficult. I suppose if they ever do expand it will be in one of the endzones (probably the north side so crow noise is directed towards scott park and to keep the monumental entrance view from the south end plaza.)

The stadium does look great though. Great bang for our buck.

25grapes
Nov 10, 2014, 4:47 PM
After seeing those pictures I like they Grey/Silver with an accent of Yellow at the Top. The stadium looks a lot cleaner with the lighter grey/silver and accented yellow.

I still question why they put the elevator shafts where they did. Really makes expanding the upper west side difficult. I suppose if they ever do expand it will be in one of the endzones (probably the north side so crow noise is directed towards scott park and to keep the monumental entrance view from the south end plaza.)

The stadium does look great though. Great bang for our buck.

Ya I remember Bob Young saying if demand warranted they would build stadium seating in the end zones that would bring capacity closer to 30k.

king10
Nov 10, 2014, 6:43 PM
Ya I remember Bob Young saying if demand warranted they would build stadium seating in the end zones that would bring capacity closer to 30k.

That makes sense. The two level party deck in the north end looks easy to disassemble. 1. for grey cups and 2. if they ever want to add permanent seats.

The south end at BMO field holds 3000 seats. If they ever do expand I think it would be wise to build one endzone at a time. 3000 seats in the north endzone brings capacity to 27 000. Can even build a patio atop the new endzone seats so the Coors Light patio is still available. Down the road if demand warrants you can fill in the south endzone with a 3000 seat grand stand and add "touchdown suites" to the top of it.

I think for now they should stick to a 24 000 seat capacity for five years and build up demand and ticket scarcity. Then re evaluate if a 3000 seat endzone addition will still allow them to drive up demand through ticket scarcity.

movingtohamilton
Nov 10, 2014, 7:17 PM

Bob Young would build stadium seating? Out of the coffers of the football team? I thought the City owned the stadium and his team is the major tenant.

king10
Nov 10, 2014, 8:33 PM
Bob Young would build stadium seating? Out of the coffers of the football team? I thought the City owned the stadium and his team is the major tenant.

Thats the case yes. But Bob Young has already dumped $5 million of his own money into upgrading the team facilities in the stadium. In the end the money made off selling those additional seats would come back to Bob Young through increase game day revenue. He could probably work out a deal to spilt the cost 50/50 with the city as well.

If you recall Bob also spent millions of his own money to install the Dofasco Tigervision video board back in 2003 at Ivor Wynne even though the city owned the property. He joked that he would "have to get the city to approve the new multi million dollar scoreborad before its official" of course they had no hesitation signing off on it.

MLSE manages but does not own BMO field yet are pouring in more than $100 million in upgrades.

Closer to home im pretty sure Global Spectrum used their own money to insteall an LED power ring at Copps even though they just operate the arena on behalf of the city.

It's not unheard of to shell out money for a place you dont own. Especially if the increased revenue goes straight back to you.

movingtohamilton
Nov 10, 2014, 8:58 PM
Being relatively new to Hamilton I'm not well educated on the history of some major issues here. I presume the Ti-Cats are heavily involved in that piece of $hit LED sign recently proposed for placement at Woodward Avenue.

We could do much better than this.

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/4593467-dreschel-ticats-seek-ok-for-monster-sign/

king10
Nov 10, 2014, 9:28 PM
Being relatively new to Hamilton I'm not well educated on the history of some major issues here. I presume the Ti-Cats are heavily involved in that piece of $hit LED sign recently proposed for placement at Woodward Avenue.

We could do much better than this.

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/4593467-dreschel-ticats-seek-ok-for-monster-sign/

I dont see an issue with it? There is already LED signs on Main st and Centennial parkway and other areas of the city. They don't bother me at all.

The Gardiner is full of LED signs. Its the future. Hate to say it but you'll have to get used to it.

ScreamingViking
Nov 10, 2014, 10:16 PM
I can see Young putting money into an expansion if it does make financial sense for the team.

I can't see the city contributing to that though. Aside from maintenance and minor changes/improvements, I think it will be a long time before any kind of major municipal funding is channeled into the stadium.

movingtohamilton
Nov 11, 2014, 3:16 AM
I dont see an issue with it? There is already LED signs on Main st and Centennial parkway and other areas of the city. They don't bother me at all.

The Gardiner is full of LED signs. Its the future. Hate to say it but you'll have to get used to it.

Huh? Are you the self-appointed taste-maker here? lol.

Seriously, that sign is $hit and that won't change. The LED is the least crappy part of it.

I don't have to get *used* to anything. Is that the attitude that defines Hamilton:reach for the bottom? No thanks.

king10
Nov 11, 2014, 3:23 PM
Huh? Are you the self-appointed taste-maker here? lol.

Seriously, that sign is $hit and that won't change. The LED is the least crappy part of it.

I don't have to get *used* to anything. Is that the attitude that defines Hamilton:reach for the bottom? No thanks.

excuse me? you call me out as the self appointed taste maker and then go on to say "that sign is shit and that wont change." Guess what I dont think its shit so you seem to be "self appointing taste." the key word in my post was "I" I dont find a problem with it. Who said I was forcing my taste on others. You're the one who seems to be forcing your taste onto everyone else by saying "that sign is shit and it won't change" So I ask you "Huh? Are you the self-appointed taste-maker here? lol."

talk about contradicting yourself

And yes you will have to get "used" to it, because more of these signs are coming. If you don't get "acquainted" (is that better vocab for you?) to it, it sounds like you're going to have a hernia. Have a look around the world. Led signs are the norm. If Hamilton is reaching for the bottom, Toronto, NYC, LA, Tokyo Japan, Hong Kong and all of Asia has already reached it. God forbid Hamilton turn out like them.

The reason I support the sign has to do with the money coming back to the city and the fact that the Cats will be fronting the full cost of it.

"Merulla is looking for some revenue benefits to the city from that advertising. Gibson says the club is working with the city on a commercial agreement."

"I look forward to it being beneficial financially to the city," he said.

movingtohamilton
Nov 11, 2014, 4:33 PM
Oh calm down. Really, this has always been a fun forum for me, which I discovered before I moved here.

It's been informative, and sometimes argumentative. But the threads don't usually take on your tone. I apologize if you feel insulted by me, as that was not intended, OTOH, please lower your tone, thanks.

I've traveled extensively, and many world-class cities are light-years ahead of Hamilton in so many critically important ways. If you truly think residents have to accept mediocrity, we will always disagree. This city has such promise.

king10
Nov 11, 2014, 4:46 PM
Oh calm down. Really, this has always been a fun forum for me, which I discovered before I moved here.

It's been informative, and sometimes argumentative. But the threads don't usually take on your tone. I apologize if you feel insulted by me, as that was not intended, OTOH, please lower your tone, thanks.

I've traveled extensively, and many world-class cities are light-years ahead of Hamilton in so many critically important ways. If you truly think residents have to accept mediocrity, we will always disagree. This city has such promise.

I apologize for my tone as well. :(

I dont disagree that other cities are lightyears ahead of hamilton.

I don't think accepting this sign is mediocrity though. Its a simple sign, and wont render our city as mediocre. I don't think residents are forced to accept medicoricity. It is of one opinion that this sign is medioricity. I agree the city and its residents should strive to be something above mediocre, and I think we're on our way to getting there.

agree on your last point though:cheers:

back on topic though. who thinks we can hit double digit delays in substantial completion date promises broken??

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/4979544-hamilton-s-new-stadium-still-a-work-in-progress/

Construction continues on the pedestrian plaza outside and more work on the elevators is pending.

The latest public estimate for "substantial completion" — the date the city takes over the stadium and the builder, Ontario Sports Solutions, is paid — was Nov. 28. That would be five days after the Ticats host the Canadian Football League eastern final.

Public works head Gerry Davis has said he is "concerned" about the contractor's ability to meet that date, which has been pushed back repeatedly.

On the weekend, Premier Kathleen Wynne said the stadium will be ready when it matters. "You know what, it's going to be ready for (next July's) Pan Am Games and we're very excited about it," she said. "I'm glad to be here to see the Ticats play."

Ouch to Kathleen Wynne's comment. ^^^

After the Cat's last playoff game the news will probably die down though. There isnt much work left to do and the stadium won't be in use until May/June at the earliest.

drpgq
Nov 11, 2014, 11:04 PM
One thing about the newly open Upper West stands is the railing between every row. It makes movement somewhat annoying if you're trying to get in or out of the middle of a row. Ironically the old bench seats in Ivor Wynne sometimes made getting to the aisles way easier because you could easily hop up or down a row.

I'm still confused about the claim about there being more washrooms than the old stadium. Maybe there's still not some open yet, but from the games I've attended, the waits seemed worse than Ivor Wynne. The nearest washroom to my seats on Saturday in the Upper West stands had five urinals and probably four toilets. And only one way in or out.

The concourse on the old North side of Ivor Wynne was also way bigger than the one for the West stands. The new one seems pretty cramped by comparison and not a fun place to be at half-time, whereas the old one was so large there was always an area you could retreat to that wasn't packed.

Dr Awesomesauce
Nov 11, 2014, 11:15 PM
^Interesting observations.

mattgrande
Nov 11, 2014, 11:19 PM
On the upper deck, in the North Western most part of the stadium, the men's washrooms has 0 urinals, just 8 (or so) stalls. Who thought that was a good idea?

mishap
Nov 12, 2014, 12:36 AM
On the upper deck, in the North Western most part of the stadium, the men's washrooms has 0 urinals, just 8 (or so) stalls. Who thought that was a good idea?
There's a roll-up door between some of the Men & Women washrooms. I'm guessing that these facilities are convertible. Why, I'm not sure.

king10
Nov 12, 2014, 12:39 AM

They designed THF with "flex" washrooms. Those actually double as female washrooms for things like concerts. For football games they are male because of the demographics. They simply change the sign. There was a discussion about this on the ticats forum.

My first impression was that there arent as many urinals in the new washrooms and the lines were long. The concourses are indeed smaller but there are more of them and less ppl. The issue on the east side is the upper level stairs empty out right into the concession lines causing a mass of humanity.

The ground level of the east stand is apparently being used for parking. Its a huge space though that can be used as an overflow concourse since the other 2 in the eastsand are already packed. Seems like wasted space to use it for a few parking spots when the two levels above have ppl packed in like sardines. Theres already stairs which lead to this ground level from the above concourse.

palace1
Nov 12, 2014, 5:31 AM
Any guesses as to when the "Open House" will happen?

"Hamilton is looking to open up Tim Hortons Field to the public.

The city will be holding an open house for residents to the $145-million facility, tentatively scheduled for October after the contractor ONSS turns the stadium over to the city.

Stoney Creek councillor Brad Clark introduced the motion at the Sept. 10 council meeting, saying the idea is to give people who wouldn’t normally attend a football game or a concert a chance to see the stadium.

Ancaster councillor Lloyd Ferguson, who said he has toured the facility about 15 times, said it was a great idea.

He said people would be able to see the stadium’s locker room, which is shaped like a football, exercise area, and the other amenities that were incorporated into the stadium design.

“It would be really neat to see that,” he said."

http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news/hamilton-to-host-open-house-at-tim-hortons-field/

king10
Nov 12, 2014, 2:50 PM
My guess is that it will be in the Spring when everything is done and prior to the CFL season.

Then again that article was dated Sept 11. Wouldn't suprise me if they scrap the whole idea since we've seen 7 games at the stadium already.

ScreamingViking
Nov 13, 2014, 2:58 AM
They could do it for the next Doors Open Hamilton (May 2-3, 2015).

I'd love to see some of the areas that are off-limits on gameday. The rooms and offices on the lower levels, club areas, private boxes, locker rooms, press box.

lucasmascotto
Jan 12, 2015, 4:35 PM
City now expects to take over stadium by April
By: Matthew Van Dongen
(The Hamilton Spectator: Monday, January 12, 2015)

It's no joke: the city is braced for Pan Am stadium construction to continue until April Fool's Day.

The city is still waiting to take possession of the $145-million stadium that was supposed to be finished last July. Infrastructure Ontario most recently estimated the building would handed over by the end of January.

But public works head Gerry Davis now says that date won't be met. "My best guess, looking at what still has to be completed, would be April 1," he said. "It looks like there are still some challenges."

Project manager Infrastructure Ontario wasn't immediately available to provide its own estimate, but Davis said a planned conference call update with the provincial agency was cancelled last Thursday.

Davis said he is asking the agency and beleaguered contractor Ontario Sports Solutions to attend an upcoming Pan Am city committee meeting.

Davis said late last week there are still dozens of "non-compliant items" in the stadium, with more serious examples including ongoing problems with the elevators, heating and electrical systems.

If construction continues until April that would leave two months before Pan Am Games organizers are supposed to take over the stadium to prepare for tens of thousands of soccer fans.

Davis said he'd like city stadium workers to be familiar with the building sooner rather than later, but added April would still give them time to do so.

The contractor initially blamed a harsh winter and a contractor lost to bankruptcy for the delays. The Spectator later learned flaws in the structural design forced repeated additions of new steel reinforcements, a development that spurred the city to commission an independent peer review of the changes.

More to come.

king10
Mar 17, 2015, 12:22 AM
Hamilton to host final women’s World Cup tune-up game

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5478094-hamilton-to-host-final-women-s-world-cup-tune-up-game/

realcity
Apr 15, 2015, 2:34 AM
Exactly. The longer it takes to finish, the more the builder is subsidizing the Ticats' already meager contribution to the construction costs. It's a shame the city didn't think to include a clause like that for themselves as well.

Personally, I really don't care how long it takes to get finished, as long as it is completed in time for its role as the CIBC Pan Am Stadium one year from today.

http://images.toronto2015.org/system/asset_images/1886/original/hamilton-stadium.jpg?1399557466
source (http://www.toronto2015.org/venue/hamilton-soccer-stadium)

Are they still going to build the promenade along Canon? You can see it in the bottom of this pic. It is the only feature in an otherwise featureless stadium. If they cheap out on this, there is nothing noteworthy, just a pair of bleachers.

I think this promenade would be picturesque with all the flags of the Americas and later, provincial or team flags. I hope they do this part on Canon nice.

realcity
Apr 15, 2015, 2:37 AM
^ markbarbera I quoted you from almost a year ago... and it is almost scary prophetic.

I hope it is built right and don't care about the April/May/June cancelled events just have it perfect on PanAm opening day.

SteelTown
May 8, 2015, 10:19 PM
Hamilton’s stadium is “substantially complete”

Hamilton Spectator
By Matthew Van Dongen
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5609721-hamilton-s-stadium-is-substantially-complete-/

Hamilton can finally take over its $145 million stadium next week – and now the race is on to get it event-ready.

An independent certifier for Infrastructure Ontario alerted the city Friday evening that the long-delayed construction project has achieved "substantial completion."

That means the city finally gets the keys – 10 months later than expected – and beleaguered contractor Ontario Sports Solutions gets $89 million of withheld payments.

SteelTown
May 8, 2015, 10:20 PM
Tim Hortons Field | 40m | ? | Under Construction -> Tim Hortons Field | 40m | ? | Complete

ScreamingViking
May 10, 2015, 3:41 AM
"There will still be minor work needed on the stadium, but it will not impact Pan Am / Parapan Am Games readiness or the stadium's ability to shine on the international stage," said IO vice-president John McKendrick in an email.

Of course. Which should be done by... by.... ummm.... :rolleyes:

I walked around the stadium a couple of weeks ago. With all the concrete down and landscaping, it's looking great. And the people living on the surrounding streets must be happy, finally - repaving done, no more dirt, dust and heavy construction activity.

palace1
May 10, 2015, 2:32 PM
CHCH reported that the minor work still to be done is to take down all of the sponsorship signs - Tim Horton's, Pioneer Gas, Direct Energy etc. - to turn it into CIBC stadium for the PanAm games.
I assume all of the Tiger-Cats signage will also be removed or covered up.

The stadium will be open for a free community barbecue on May 21st from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. followed by a $90 / person Gala fundraiser from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.

Up to eight tickets can be reserved for the free event by registering at:
http://preview.hamilton.ca/city-initiatives/strategies-actions/building-momentum-registration

king10
May 10, 2015, 2:53 PM
Theyre going to have to somehow remove/ cover up the tim hortons marquee sign on top of the scorebord.

I hate how the olympics, world cup, pan ams force venues to remove corporate signage. Its such a hassle.

thomax
May 22, 2015, 7:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sPUUptq.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | View from the West Stands (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601740775177789440) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601740775177789440), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/6yEVT6H.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | View from the West Stands (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601755369057218561) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601755369057218561), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/W6vklyY.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | Scoreboard (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601754725848088576) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601754725848088576), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/pT01Qru.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | Field Level View of the East Stands (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601754725848088576) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601754725848088576), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/D9yXu8a.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | Interior (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601754725848088576) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601754725848088576), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/CgS8Ysf.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | Seats (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601745282154508288) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601745282154508288), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/wht1G7G.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | 3rd Floor Main Concourse Area (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601745282154508288) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601745282154508288), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/hiSHdS2.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | 3rd Floor Main Concourse Area (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601745282154508288) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601745282154508288), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/Xze4ONL.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | 4th Floor Club Level (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601743912282230784) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601743912282230784), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/PiPqvKw.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | 5th Floor Suite Level (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601743317878079488) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601743317878079488), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/HJqSE2w.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | 5th Floor Suite Level (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601743317878079488) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601743317878079488), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/FyqNbrV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/04nXQip.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iR5o1Bb.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | 7th Floor Media Area (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601741682074345473) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601741682074345473), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/H8Ckgm2.jpg
Tim Hortons Field | 7th Floor Media Area (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601741682074345473) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/601741682074345473), on Twitter

thomax
May 22, 2015, 8:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Ectdoml.jpg
Tim Hortons Field Grand Opening Ceremony (https://twitter.com/TourismHamilton/status/601838196402577408) by Tourism Hamilton (https://twitter.com/TourismHamilton/status/601838196402577408), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/qd3UmzX.jpg
Tim Hortons Field Grand Opening Ceremony (https://twitter.com/TourismHamilton/status/601838196402577408) by Tourism Hamilton (https://twitter.com/TourismHamilton/status/601838196402577408), on Twitter

matt602
May 22, 2015, 9:13 PM
Well, better late than never, I guess. It does look good for what it is.

RaginRonic
May 22, 2015, 11:10 PM
To the designers of the field...thanks for putting the scoreboard on the north side, where people behind Juravinski Hospital can, with a good pair of binoculars, and an iPad with TSN GO running, can catch the game from there.

Yes, I'm lazy. Sue me. XD

king10
May 23, 2015, 1:52 AM
Finally. And it looks good.

Jon Dalton
May 23, 2015, 8:56 PM
To the designers of the field...thanks for putting the scoreboard on the north side, where people behind Juravinski Hospital can, with a good pair of binoculars, and an iPad with TSN GO running, can catch the game from there.

Yes, I'm lazy. Sue me. XD

That's awesome. You should live stream the games for those who can't afford cable.

RaginRonic
May 23, 2015, 9:11 PM
That's awesome. You should live stream the games for those who can't afford cable.

Or, better yet, TSN should take advantage of Mountain Brow Blvd., and turn that into a TiCat TailGate street on game days. TVs set up, lots of food grilling...yeah. =9

king10
May 25, 2015, 1:08 PM
A couple days ago the spec reported 19 000 tickets sold for the Canada England game. Judging by ticketmaster today it looks as if 20 000 tickets are now sold. Capacity is 22 500 which doesn't include the couple hundred seats in the suites or the Patio Standing areas.

With a good week of sales and walkup the game could reach the 22500 sell out number. Right now all that remains is the north and south east upper level corners as well as some club level seats.

scotto
May 28, 2015, 6:51 AM
I would like to add a few from last summer.

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz256/scotto2010/Ivor%20Wynne%20Stadium/Urban3_zps3e37a097.jpg (http://s833.photobucket.com/user/scotto2010/media/Ivor%20Wynne%20Stadium/Urban3_zps3e37a097.jpg.html)

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz256/scotto2010/Ivor%20Wynne%20Stadium/Urban2_zps14773a9d.jpg (http://s833.photobucket.com/user/scotto2010/media/Ivor%20Wynne%20Stadium/Urban2_zps14773a9d.jpg.html)

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz256/scotto2010/Ivor%20Wynne%20Stadium/Urban1_zps8e0b5b7b.jpg (http://s833.photobucket.com/user/scotto2010/media/Ivor%20Wynne%20Stadium/Urban1_zps8e0b5b7b.jpg.html)

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz256/scotto2010/Ivor%20Wynne%20Stadium/0J4A7391_zps5a877a34.jpg (http://s833.photobucket.com/user/scotto2010/media/Ivor%20Wynne%20Stadium/0J4A7391_zps5a877a34.jpg.html)

king10
May 30, 2015, 5:52 PM
Fly thru of the soccer match last night by a drone:

HAUPGsglOiI[/url]

ScreamingViking
May 31, 2015, 12:39 AM
It looked weird to see THF adorned in red and white vs. black and gold, but by the pics from the game it's great to see a large crowd for a non-CFL event.

From one of our #HamOnt colleagues via the main forum:

Some photos from earlier tonight of the first event at Tim Hortons Field since last weeks grand opening:

http://i.imgur.com/D1sw0tN.jpg
Tim Hortons Field - Canada’s Women’s National Team vs. England - May 30, 2015 (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/604439067493724161) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/604439067493724161), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/eyDAzGZ.jpg
Tim Hortons Field - Canada’s Women’s National Team vs. England - May 30, 2015 (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/604438517138079744) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/604438517138079744), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/RRGBqiF.jpg
Tim Hortons Field - Canada’s Women’s National Team vs. England - May 30, 2015 (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/604439067493724161) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/604439067493724161), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/jiw8oF0.jpg
Tim Hortons Field - Canada’s Women’s National Team vs. England - May 30, 2015 (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/604438517138079744) by City of Hamilton (https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton/status/604438517138079744), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/LDPQY2I.jpg

mattgrande
May 31, 2015, 1:21 PM
I was at the game, and it was a great event. The field played well for soccer, and it looked good. My only complaint is the concessions. I left around 25 minutes into the game to grab some food, and they were out of almost everything by the time I ordered. It was about 30 minutes wait, as well, and the lines never really seemed to subside.

Hawrylyshyn
May 31, 2015, 1:34 PM
I was at the game, and it was a great event. The field played well for soccer, and it looked good. My only complaint is the concessions. I left around 25 minutes into the game to grab some food, and they were out of almost everything by the time I ordered. It was about 30 minutes wait, as well, and the lines never really seemed to subside.

Hmmm haven't heard that complaint before. I had season tickets for the Ticats last year and concessions were never an issue at the games. Perhaps they were understaffed or something for this particular event?

king10
May 31, 2015, 3:12 PM
Hmmm haven't heard that complaint before. I had season tickets for the Ticats last year and concessions were never an issue at the games. Perhaps they were understaffed or something for this particular event?

Really? On the ticats forum all they did last year was complain about massive concession lines and lack of product. Ive never heard one good thing about concessions at thf. Only complaints lol. I was there for the last regular season game last year and lines were huge.

It seems to be a chronic issue at thf. Ppl were saying only half the concessions were open friday. Which is idiotic in itself given they knew it would sell out.

drpgq
May 31, 2015, 6:33 PM
I was at the game too and the concessions were way worse than at Ticat games last year. Perhaps part of the delay came from having so many tween and teen girls ordering food versus more older people at Ticats games ordering beers. Way faster to just crack a can than get a sausage. Hopefully they get things ironed out. I didn't notice any concessions closed on the East side.

king10
Jun 4, 2015, 2:05 AM
Article in the spec today addressing the chronic concession issues.

http://www.thespec.com/pan-am-games-story/5657597-sold-out-ticats-game-a-test-for-lagging-concession-stands-team-president/

A lot of finger pointing going around.

In other stadium precinct news, Scott Park school is expected to be demolished by the time the Pan Ams start.

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/5659558-scott-park-school-gone-in-time-for-games/

ScreamingViking
Jun 4, 2015, 3:52 AM
If the "infrastructure" is part of the issue, like Mitchell says, why didn't the Cats consider that when they had input into the design? That's what I don't get. They had more opportunity to provide feedback than anyone else.

They go on about how this will be a great fan experience... and for the most part, it is... but concessions are important for many people, those not solely focused on the football game itself.

Perhaps it's just inadequate because they've had to adjust for incomplete things (like the beer and pop taps). I'm a season ticket holder and appreciate the stadium, as it is a huge leap from what we had before. But if the problems are not solvable, this is one area the team didn't look at carefully enough, and they will need to put in the money to expand the concession capacity in other parts of the stadium because the city surely won't.

Jon Dalton
Jun 4, 2015, 6:29 PM
So the beer taps aren't working and they're calling it finished?

ScreamingViking
Jul 1, 2015, 4:23 PM
I posted this in the main forum. I love the idea.

It will be interesting to see more details re: how they plan to incorporate it into the stadium.

Plans are afoot to move the Canadian Football Hall of Fame (http://www.cfhof.ca/) from downtown Hamilton to THF. It's not mentioned below, but an email to season ticket holders noted "Hundreds of Canadian football artifacts, currently stored by the Hall, would be made available for travelling exhibitions across the country so that they may be enjoyed by Canadian football fans everywhere."

Move Canadian Football Hall of Fame to Tim Hortons Field: city report
Hamilton Spectator

The Canadian Football Hall of Fame in downtown Hamilton appears to be on the move.

The city and the Canadian Football League are in agreement to move the storied hall from its location on Jackson Street West, just east of City Hall, to the new Tim Hortons Field on Melrose Avenue North.

The hall is proposed to wind up operations at the end of July for its new home at the stadium. The city is offering to contribute $250,000 to the cost of the new structure and development of such items as displays on legendary CFL players and builders and a media hall of fame.
Link to the full article (http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5703550-move-canadian-football-hall-of-fame-to-tim-hortons-field-city-report/)

Excerpt of a press release from the Tiger-Cats:
"The plan for the relocation of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame to Tim Hortons Field includes making Hamilton and Tim Hortons Field its permanent home. It will also bring back the marquee Hall of Fame game to Hamilton for the next 5 years, starting in 2016. One key feature of the plan will see the Hall’s centrepiece artifacts, the Hall of Fame busts of its members, featured in a state of the art “studio” on the grounds of Tim Hortons Field. In addition, historic trophies, photos, plaques and artifacts from the Hall’s collection would also be strategically placed in fan accessible locations around the stadium."
Link to the full press release (http://ticats.ca/tiger-cats-support-proposal-to-move-canadian-football-hall-of-fame-to-tim-hortons-field/)

movingtohamilton
Jul 1, 2015, 5:12 PM
I posted this in the main forum. I love the idea.

It will be interesting to see more details re: how they plan to incorporate it into the stadium.

The Football Hall of Fame is a not-for-profit corporation. It can fund-raise and pay the freight for this move.

Why am I, and the rest of us Hamilton taxpayers, contributing $250,000 to move this stuff into a publicly-owned facility? I know there's a permanent romance in this city for the Ti-Cats but the CFHF is not the Ti-Cats.

This is a big concern for me (quoted from CBC site, emphasis mine):

"The hall of fame has struggled with declining attendance for about the past five years. A major sponsor also withdrew its support, causing a financial hit to the hall of fame.

Earlier this month, the city agreed to loan it $50,000 in emergency money to pay staff and take care of “outstanding debt.” If the city is satisfied after looking at the hall of fame’s financial information, the loan could turn into a grant of $100,000.

The hall of fame has given the city its audited financial statements, said finance head Mike Zegarac. The city just wants to see some more information on its cash flow.

The city owns the current hall of fame building, which is located next to Hamilton city hall. The city spends about $130,000 per year to operate and maintain the facility."

Let the millionaire owners of the CFL teams pay for all of this!

Let the attacks begin. ;)

Berklon
Jul 1, 2015, 6:27 PM
I agree... Hamilton taxpayers shouldn't be subsidizing the Hall of Fame.

IIRC, the HOF is very poorly attended - something like 1 or 2 visits a week. It's obvious there isn't enough interest in it in Hamilton. Let them move it to another city that cares more about it instead of letting taxpayers pay for something they care nothing about.

ScreamingViking
Jul 6, 2015, 2:47 AM
Aerial pic of the stadium set up for Pan Am soccer, from a Globe and Mail story: The high cost of Pan Am: What legacy will Hamilton’s new stadium leave behind? (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/the-high-cost-of-pan-am-what-legacy-will-hamiltons-new-stadium-leave-behind/article25270287/) (which outlines the saga of completion issues most of us know about from living through it, as well as potential for post-Games lawsuits)

Anyway, nice view:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/article25270286.ece/BINARY/w940/image.jpg
Source (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/the-high-cost-of-pan-am-what-legacy-will-hamiltons-new-stadium-leave-behind/article25270287/)

thistleclub
Dec 24, 2015, 1:09 AM
No finished stadium for Christmas (http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6207879-no-finished-stadium-for-christmas/)
(Hamilton Spectator, Matthew Van Dongen, Dec 23 2015)

Work on Hamilton's never-quite-complete stadium will not wrap up in time for Christmas.

In fact, last-minute fixes could continue until May.

Contractor Ontario Sports Solutions, which was supposed to deliver a completed $145-million stadium about 18 months ago, is still "whittling away" at a list of 68 construction deficiencies as well as recently identified problems covered under warranty, said city facilities director Rom D'Angelo.

The remaining deficiencies — down from an initial list of hundreds of problems — are probably only worth about $75,000 in repairs.

But the city is also still holding back more than $2 million in stadium payments as negotiations continue between the contractor, Hamilton Tiger-Cats and provincial project overseer Infrastructure Ontario over more serious construction disagreements — like alleged obstructed seat views, rooms that are too small, and faulty audiovisual equipment.

D'Angelo said it's possible the contractual tug-of-war could be settled as early as January, but added it's up to Infrastructure Ontario to "sign off" on the finished stadium.

"We've been having a lot of closed-door meetings to that end, in terms of reaching a settlement," he said.

At some point, the city may choose to bring in its own workers to fix remaining issues in the facility, which has been in use since shortly before the Pan Am Games in July. But the original builder has the right to fix identified deficiencies and newer problems until at least May, D'Angelo said.

Coun. Lloyd Ferguson, who chaired the city's Pan Am subcommittee before it was disbanded earlier this year, said he's hoping for a relatively quick resolution to any wrangling over project disagreements.

"I think everyone would have preferred to see this wrapped up much sooner," said Ferguson of the long-delayed stadium project, which the province maintains will not go over budget. "But I'm confident the major issues will be resolved well before next (football) season."

Read it in full here (http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6207879-no-finished-stadium-for-christmas/).

ScreamingViking
Dec 24, 2015, 8:27 AM
I8oplQKbPuQ
(sorry for the low res)

Even better... if they do finally finish odds and ends by next May, it will be nearly TWO whole years of giving ;)

SteelTown
Jan 11, 2016, 5:01 PM
Soccer entrepreneur pitches “bubble” dome for Tim Hortons field

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6226923-soccer-entrepreneur-pitches-bubble-dome-for-tim-hortons-field/

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are backing a local pitch to "bubble" Hamilton's outdoor stadium field during the winter.

John McGrane, a former professional and Olympic soccer player, has asked to present his idea for a seasonal soccer dome at an upcoming meeting of the general issues committee.

It's unclear from his letter how much it would cost to install the bubble, but McGrane says in a letter to Mayor Fred Eisenberger there "would not be any city capital" needed for the project.

He also suggests the project would end up giving back $100,000 a year for a "turf replacement fund" for Tim Hortons Field and up to 500 "full field bookings" would be reserved for use by the city's recreation department.

An accompanying letter from Bob Young identifies the Ticats owner as an investor in the project.

"The Dome will also enable our group to develop a soccer academy which is an integral part of our long-term strategy for growing soccer at all levels in Hamilton and our region," wrote Young in the letter now posted online.

The football team, as part of its long-term lease of the stadium from the city, is required to make efforts to bring a professional soccer team to the city and develop youth soccer training opportunities in the coming years.

SteelTown
Feb 3, 2016, 6:41 PM
City ponders dome at Tim Hortons Stadium

Hamilton Spectator
By Matthew Van Dongen
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6261550-city-ponders-dome-at-tim-hortons-stadium/

An unsolicited bid to build a winter dome over Tim Hortons Field is key to the long-awaited arrival of professional soccer in Hamilton, city councillors were told this morning.

Retired professional soccer player John McGrane pitched a plan to build the $3.5 million, 90,000-square-foot dome with the help of majority investor and Tiger-Cats owner Bob Young.

McGrane told councillors a long-planned Canadian professional soccer league is about to be announced with a Hamilton team owned by Young. "This (dome) would not go ahead without a professional soccer team as a cornerstone," he said.

Councillors seemed keen on the idea of making the stadium a year-round proposition — but several expressed concern about accepting an unsolicited, noncompetitive bid without exploring other options.

Owners of existing indoor soccer fields told councillors there isn't enough local demand to handle another large facility. "That represents a 40 per cent capacity increase in the current market," said Tasha Mazza-Kelton of Player's Paradise. "As a collective group, we all have prime time availability (for field rentals)."

If council decides a dome is necessary for a new professional team, the city should go forward with a competitive request for proposals, added Duncan Macintosh, who owns Soccer World Hamilton. "We would consider participating in that kind of process," he said.

A representative from a rival dome builder also urged the city to build, own and operate the dome itself. "The city would have the best interest of Hamiltonians at heart," said Adam Archer of air dome maker Broadwell.

McGrane said he understood the concerns of other dome owners, but added he doesn't view the proposed field bubble as a competitor. "We have a different business model," he said, pointing to the use by professional teams like the Ticats and proposed soccer team.

He also suggested if he wanted to build a for-profit dome that relied more on community players he would choose a higher-income area of Hamilton.

Councillors asked staff to come back with a report on how the city could pursue a winter dome for the stadium as well as the lease implications with the Tiger-Cats.

christmas
Apr 17, 2016, 11:39 PM
Is construction underway for revitalizing Scott Park?

http://i.cbc.ca/1.1592806.1379058526!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/hi-panamplans-852-8col.jpg

christmas
Apr 18, 2016, 12:58 AM
Here's the proposal for the school next to Scott Park. Didn't know in which thread this should go..

http://www.hwdsb.on.ca/revitalization/files/2014/03/NewNorth-NewSchool-Flyer.pdf

thomax
Apr 18, 2016, 2:56 AM
Is construction underway for revitalizing Scott Park?

Not yet, it is still in the planning stages. There's more info and renderings in this thread ---> Pan Am precinct (http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181825&page=7)

christmas
Apr 18, 2016, 3:13 AM
Not yet, it is still in the planning stages. There's more info and renderings in this thread ---> Pan Am precinct (http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181825&page=7)

Awesome! Thanks so much thomax!

thomax
Apr 18, 2016, 3:33 AM
Awesome! Thanks so much thomax!

No problem :)

thistleclub
Jun 8, 2016, 4:37 PM
Tim Hortons Field to remove speakers as one plummets 30 metres (http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6712950-tim-hortons-field-to-remove-speakers-as-one-plummets-30-metres/)
(Hamilton Spectator, Steve Milton, June 8 2016)

The city is removing the speakers lining Tim Hortons Field after one of them fell more than 30 metres to the ground.

Reports say inspection of the speakers around the stadium found them to be faulty.

Scott Mitchell, CEO of the Ticats, confirmed that a speaker had fallen. He referred other questions to the city.

Mitchell says that "there will be sound, absolutely," for next Friday's pre-season home game against the Ottawa Redblacks, "and the goal is that the fans wouldn't notice any difference. We'll have to see exactly what the situation is.

"It's a city facility and we will defer to the city to make sure everything's being taken care of."

Mitchell said that the Tiger-Cats have continually been sinking money into the stadium — including remedying some sound system shortcomings--- in order to make the game-day experience more viable and pleasant as the various parties involved argue about who will pay for the hundreds of deficiencies in the stadium construction.

"The reality is that we've spent millions of dollars to continue to address the deficiencies toast quite frankly the average fan doesn't see, because of the investment we continue to make," Mitchell said after Wednesday's Tiger-Cat practice at McMaster's Ron Joyce Stadium.

"We've augmented and mitigated some of the concerns around the audio system the past couple of years: things like the LED board. And there are various things we've had to invest in while the city deals with the issues with Infrastructure Ontario and ONSS.

"Our commitment to the fans is to have this incredible experience that we consider to be the best in North America and in order for us to deliver that through this process it's a major, major investment and this is another example of that as we continue to move forward.

"If there's issues with the audio visual system, which there are obviously are, we'll invest against that in order to make sure that the fan experience is exceptional.

We'll have to see what's impacted exactly, but what we can say for sure is that if it is impacted we'll continue to invest and mitigate the deficiencies.

"The goal would be that the fans wouldn't notice. But we can tell you that there are a lot of things that the fans haven't noticed that have cost us millions of dollars to address."

thomax
Apr 11, 2017, 4:24 PM
Just saw this on twitter...

@TheGeneratorCa (https://twitter.com/TheGeneratorCa/status/851828140313907200) - Big concert @TimHortonsField (https://twitter.com/TimHortonsField) this summer, to be announced soon! #HamOnt (https://twitter.com/hashtag/HamOnt?src=hash)

NortheastWind
Apr 11, 2017, 6:42 PM
Pink Floyd ??

SteelTown
May 17, 2018, 11:47 PM
City and Ticats reach tentative settlement in Tim Hortons Field stadium lawsuit
The lawsuit stems from construction delays and ongoing problems with the stadium after it opened.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ticats-city-1.4667955

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have tentatively settled a lawsuit with the province and city over Tim Hortons Field Stadium over who should pay the team damages for construction delays and months of problems with the stadium after it opened.

CBC News learned Thursday that the team has settled its two-year, multimillion-dollar legal dispute with the city, Infrastructure Ontario, the 2015 Toronto Pan Am organizing committee and the consortium that built the stadium.

Details of the settlement were not revealed.

It's considered tentative, city hall sources say, because while the essential issues have been resolved, the remaining sticking point is how the settlement will be conveyed to the public in the coming days.

The Ticats sued after the stadium opened months late in 2014, forcing the team to play elsewhere for part of the season. The stadium has been fraught with malfunctions since then, and the city is still doing repairs.

Infrastructure Ontario oversaw the stadium construction, and hired the Ontario Sports Solutions consortium to build it. The city only took ownership when construction was substantially complete.

The city and Infrastructure Ontario all filed their own court actions in 2016. The city's claim asked for $35 million in damages for breach of contract, negligence and misrepresentation when it came to the planning, procurement, design, construction, project management and other aspects of the stadium. Of that, $14 million in damage awards would be passed on to the Ticats.

A settlement would be good news for local soccer fans, who have wanted to see a professional soccer team at the stadium for years. In the fall, city council swore off soccer talks with the Ticats until the lawsuit was settled.

The Ticats signed a stadium lease with the city in 2014, and that included a one-year rights for a pro soccer team. Last May, Ticats owner Bob Young announced that Hamilton would be a founding city for the new Canadian Premier League (CPL).

In September, someone filed trademarks for the Hamilton Steelers and Hamilton United. The proposed league is a Tier 1 FIFA-sanctioned league.

CBC is pursuing comment from the city and the Ticats.

drpgq
May 18, 2018, 11:15 AM
Well at least we can bid for a Grey Cup now.

mishap
May 18, 2018, 3:13 PM
CHML covered the stadium lawsuit debacle last year. There are some interesting twists in the suit.
Firstly, the Ticats didn't want to sue the City, but they can't sue the Province, as they they never dealt directly with the Province. So the Ticats had to go through the City, who in turn had to pursue the Province for restitution.
The City then enforced a policy where they will not undertake any new business with a party they are "battling" in court. So that meant no discussions on a soccer team with the Ticats, even though the City was not the intended target of the suit. And even though the soccer team would be a sister organization of the Ticats, not the actual litigant.
Yet while the City was ignoring the soccer talks and suing an agency of the Province (the stadium group), they were eagerly talking LRT plans with another agency (Metrolinx). When questioned about this hypocrisy on CHML, one councilor said, "that's not the same thing." By that, I guess he means that only one is a big freebie for the City.

Berklon
May 18, 2018, 7:39 PM
Well at least we can bid for a Grey Cup now.

I suspect we still aren't going to bid on the Grey Cup.

ScreamingViking
May 19, 2018, 6:10 AM
CHML covered the stadium lawsuit debacle last year. There are some interesting twists in the suit.
Firstly, the Ticats didn't want to sue the City, but they can't sue the Province, as they they never dealt directly with the Province. So the Ticats had to go through the City, who in turn had to pursue the Province for restitution.
The City then enforced a policy where they will not undertake any new business with a party they are "battling" in court. So that meant no discussions on a soccer team with the Ticats, even though the City was not the intended target of the suit. And even though the soccer team would be a sister organization of the Ticats, not the actual litigant.
Yet while the City was ignoring the soccer talks and suing an agency of the Province (the stadium group), they were eagerly talking LRT plans with another agency (Metrolinx). When questioned about this hypocrisy on CHML, one councilor said, "that's not the same thing." By that, I guess he means that only one is a big freebie for the City.

I don't see the hypocrisy here -- the issue of Pan Am infrastructure is very separate from the Regional Transportation Plan (under which the LRT is still in play politically, at both the provincial and municipal levels... despite all of the city council votes for it and the province's/Metrolinx's advancements)

realcity
May 20, 2018, 3:50 PM
Tim Hortons field is crap