PDA

View Full Version : Surrey/South Fraser Updates

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

metroXpress
Mar 26, 2009, 9:15 PM
This thread was started for the general updates of the city, Surrey, as we prepare for the upcoming developments in the next decade. I think this would serve like the General Vancouver Updates thread, but exclusively for Surrey.

:haha:

"Surrey is currently the second largest city in BC and one of the fastest growing in all of Canada. Within the next decade, Surrey is expected to take Vancouver's place as the largest city in the province"

- Tourism Surrey (Official Visitors Guide 2009)

Locked In
Mar 26, 2009, 9:43 PM
Within the next decade, Surrey is expected to take Vancouver's place as the largest city in the province"

- Tourism Surrey (Official Visitors Guide 2009)

Does Tourism Surrey really advertise that? What is that projection based on? Metro Vancouver, in consultation with its member municipalities, has projected that Vancouver and Surrey will be roughly equal in population 30 years from now. In 2021, they won't be close...

metroXpress
Mar 26, 2009, 10:21 PM
Does Tourism Surrey really advertise that? What is that projection based on? Metro Vancouver, in consultation with its member municipalities, has projected that Vancouver and Surrey will be roughly equal in population 30 years from now. In 2021, they won't be close...

They did. I quoted word by word form the guide I picked up today.
I don't think it will happen so soon either and that's why I brought it up here :tup:

Pinion
Mar 27, 2009, 3:35 AM
Damn I can't wait until I can say I live in Metro Surrey.

LotusLand
Mar 27, 2009, 4:33 AM
So I guess this is the thread where we'll post photos of cul-de-sacs and such :haha:

SpongeG
Mar 27, 2009, 5:29 AM
back in the 90's the projections were higher than now I guess - maybe they scaled them back?

they said Surrey would overtake vancouver within 20 years - that was over 10 years ago

go surrey go

Spork
Mar 27, 2009, 6:48 AM
Official BCStats models (http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/data/pop/pop/dynamic/PopulationStatistics/Query.asp?category=Health&type=HA&topic=Projections&agegrouptype=Standard&subtype=&region=36&region=39&year=2009&year=2010&year=2011&year=2012&year=2013&year=2014&year=2015&year=2016&year=2017&year=2018&year=2019&year=2020&year=2021&year=2022&year=2023&year=2024&year=2025&year=2026&year=2027&year=2028&year=2029&year=2030&year=2031&year=2032&year=2033&year=2034&year=2035&year=2036&agegroup=totals&gender=t&output=browser&rowsperpage=all) predict that Surrey's population will not surpass Vancouver's in the next 27 years.

In 2036, Vancouver will have a population of 817,166, and Surrey will have a population of 710,191. Unless you consider surpassing to be surpassing a previous amount, in which case, Surrey will surpass Vancouver's 2009 population in 2027.

Whalleyboy
Mar 27, 2009, 8:35 AM
During the boom time Surrey was growing a lot faster. Thats why there are different times all over the place for when Surrey is set to pass Vancouver. As is stands Surrey is still fastest growing city in BC still so its hard to give true stats on when it could happen. For all we know we could get past this hard times soon an have some good boom again and Surrey could go even fast growth second time around cause after all this it the time for the investors to by the land cheaper.

metroXpress
Mar 27, 2009, 3:26 PM
? I think 20 years would be a more reasonable answer. Just look at City Centre....still full of one-storey buildings, really old towers....The land own by Surrey is huge and it would take quite a while to shape it up.

nickinacan
Mar 27, 2009, 4:52 PM
? I think 20 years would be a more reasonable answer. Just look at City Centre....still full of one-storey buildings, really old towers....The land own by Surrey is huge and it would take quite a while to shape it up.

Ah, but that's part of their plan. They have purchased a ton of land, will get it prepped for development, build a new road network and section off the lots as they please and sell it for cheap. This council has been very, very smart. I could see the majority of the development in the area occuring within 10 years as opposed to 20. The more companies, institutional offices and cultural draws that relocate or open up in Surrey, the more people that will want to relocate to Surrey.

djmk
Mar 27, 2009, 4:56 PM
The more companies, institutional offices and cultural draws that relocate or open up in Surrey, the more people that will want to relocate to Surrey.

AND, because surrey is cheaper to live. especially for families.

metroXpress
Mar 27, 2009, 5:12 PM
AND, because surrey is cheaper to live. especially for families.

Way cheaper than Vancouver/ Richmond/Burnaby and the North Shore

paradigm4
Mar 27, 2009, 5:20 PM
Ah, but that's part of their plan. They have purchased a ton of land, will get it prepped for development, build a new road network and section off the lots as they please and sell it for cheap. This council has been very, very smart. I could see the majority of the development in the area occuring within 10 years as opposed to 20. The more companies, institutional offices and cultural draws that relocate or open up in Surrey, the more people that will want to relocate to Surrey.

Haha that's what we all hope would've happened. As it turns out, if you are talking about the Transit Village concept, that's unlikely to occur, at least in the near future. While the City owns a major piece of land to the west of the SkyTrain station (where City Hall is being proposed for construction), all the land to the east is privately owned. The lots range from tiny to huge, some with one owner, many with multiple. And apparently, due to the range in lots and owners, the process of either purchasing or encouraging redevelopment is barely moving at all. Furthermore, the City would never use expropriation as an option, as that would go completely against the development friendly culture they've built.

Which is unfortunate in my mind because the only way we're ever going to get a decent critical mass of infrastructure near Surrey Central is if the land is all bought up, split into decent sized plots in between a walkable road grid, and sold off for development.

nickinacan
Mar 27, 2009, 6:14 PM
Haha that's what we all hope would've happened. As it turns out, if you are talking about the Transit Village concept, that's unlikely to occur, at least in the near future. While the City owns a major piece of land to the west of the SkyTrain station (where City Hall is being proposed for construction), all the land to the east is privately owned. The lots range from tiny to huge, some with one owner, many with multiple. And apparently, due to the range in lots and owners, the process of either purchasing or encouraging redevelopment is barely moving at all. Furthermore, the City would never use expropriation as an option, as that would go completely against the development friendly culture they've built.

Which is unfortunate in my mind because the only way we're ever going to get a decent critical mass of infrastructure near Surrey Central is if the land is all bought up, split into decent sized plots in between a walkable road grid, and sold off for development.

Oh I wasn't talking about the Transit Village plan at all. I know that is on life support as we speak, especially since the last renderings of Central City Phase 2 had the civic plaza included where the parking lot currently is, and not east of the Skytrain as originally planned.

As for the mess between the City Parkway and King George, that will only be resolved by utilizing incentives to redevelop. The City is also stalling when it comes to the redistribution of King George to the newly upgraded parallel routes due to the same issues. The City will inevitably have to, for a lack of a better term, piss off a few residents and business owners in order to get the ball rolling. It is something that will have to be done... but when will they get it done? If it doesn't happen, the plan will never succeed.

metroXpress
Mar 27, 2009, 7:03 PM
As for the mess between the City Parkway and King George, that will only be resolved by utilizing incentives to redevelop. The City is also stalling when it comes to the redistribution of King George to the newly upgraded parallel routes due to the same issues. The City will inevitably have to, for a lack of a better term, piss off a few residents and business owners in order to get the ball rolling. It is something that will have to be done... but when will they get it done? If it doesn't happen, the plan will never succeed.

They do have to piss off some business owners and residents to redevelop the whole area. If they are always acting as a hindrance to the whole project....Surrey City Centre would suck...:sly:

metroXpress
Mar 27, 2009, 7:06 PM
Oh, by the way, the old Chrysler Car Dealership on King George (right next to skytrain station) is now Grace Community Church...

LotusLand
Mar 27, 2009, 9:34 PM
Why is the population of Surrey such a big deal? It has 3 times the land to work with. So naturally they'll have more people living there.

nickinacan
Mar 27, 2009, 9:56 PM
Why is the population of Surrey such a big deal? It has 3 times the land to work with. So naturally they'll have more people living there.

Actually just twice. One third of all the land in Surrey is either part of the ALR or is designated as parkland, or about the size of the city of Vancouver.

LotusLand
Mar 27, 2009, 10:46 PM
Actually just twice. One third of all the land in Surrey is either part of the ALR or is designated as parkland, or about the size of the city of Vancouver.

Yeah Vancouver has park land as well as does every other city. I guess for development purposes Surrey has twice the land only if you include all land in Vancouver as developable (I know its not a word) and only 2/3 of Surrey.

But then you ignore Vancouvers designated parkland.

vanman
Mar 28, 2009, 3:49 PM
^Developable is a word even though spellcheck doesn't agree with it.

metroXpress
Apr 2, 2009, 3:02 AM
Tuesday's The Now Community Paper has a pull-out section featuring Surrey's vision and why "The Future Lives Here" I'll see if I can find a PDF of it. We know most of the information though.

metroXpress
Apr 10, 2009, 4:23 PM
NEWS RELEASE For Immediate Release

2009HLS0032-000753

BC Games Society

CITIES CHOSEN FOR 2012, 2014 BC SUMMER & WINTER GAMES

VICTORIA – The cities of Surrey, Vernon, Nanaimo and Mission have been chosen to host the 2012 and 2014 BC Summer and BC Winter Games, Minister of Healthy Living and Sport Mary Polak announced today.

“B.C. already has an international reputation for excellence in sport hosting and the BC Games will give these four communities the opportunity to gain valuable experience in hosting, while showcasing their cities to the rest of the province,” said Polak. “The BC Games bring thousands of athletes, coaches, officials, spectators and visitors to the host community, bringing significant benefits with them.”

Surrey will host the 2012 BC Summer Games; Vernon, the 2012 BC Winter Games; Nanaimo, the 2014 BC Summer Games; and Mission, the 2014 BC Winter Games. The BC Games are the province’s largest multi-disciplinary organized competitions and contribute to community, volunteer, and sport development. Host communities welcome athletes and coaches but also build volunteer capacity, engage local business, and realize a direct economic impact of over $2 million.

“Having a competitive process to host the BC Games is of great benefit to the provincial sport system,” said BC Games Society president and CEO Kelly Mann. “Communities are proud of their facilities and their volunteers, and want both to shine as they host the next generation of elite-level athletes, coaches and officials. The BC Games Society congratulates our winning cities and thanks all those who competed for the right to host in 2012 or 2014.”

“The BC Games are a vital step in the sport development pathway for B.C. athletes striving to represent our province and Canada at national and world competitions,” added Polak. “These games bring together the best young athletes in the province and offer an opportunity for the host communities to see some great sports talent in action.”

B.C. spends $2 million annually to support the BC Summer and BC Winter Games – part of the over $40 million invested annually to encourage British Columbians to be physically active and to support our “performance pathway” for athletes, coaches and the practitioners supporting them.

Anne McKinnon

Communications Director

Ministry of Healthy Living and Sport

250 952-2387
Lia Threlfall

Communications and Event Manager

BC Games Society

250 387-4688

For more information on government services or to subscribe to the Province’s news feeds using RSS, visit the Province’s website at www.gov.bc.ca.

metroXpress
Apr 20, 2009, 3:32 PM
Surrey North Delta Leader
Surrey bike lanes get big upgrade
By Jeff Nagel - Surrey North Delta Leader

Surrey will get three new cycling/pedestrian overpasses and more than 13 kilometres of new bike lanes as part of a $12.5-million upgrade to the city's network of cycling routes.

The costs are being shared by the city, the provincial and federal governments.

New overpasses are to be built over Highway 1 at 168 Street, over Highway 99 off the Pioneer bicycle path and over North Creek at 180 Street.

A total of 10.6 kilometres of new bike pathways will be built, including $1.8 million for additions to the Cloverdale Bicycle Path along 176 Street south of Fraser Highway, as well as added segments to the Wildflower, Serpentine, Green Timbers, Fraser Heights and Clayton bike paths.

Also to be built is a new 2.8-kilometre bikeway up 148 Street from 96 Avenue that will connect to the new 10-lane Port Mann Bridge.

It's being billed as the biggest investment in cycling in Surrey's history.

"This will very dramatically improve the cycling options for people in this community in almost every part of this community," said transportation minister Kevin Falcon.

The plans have been on the city's books for years but the upgrades weren't likely to get built soon without senior government funding.

Falcon said construction should will get underway quickly.

"We're making big steps forward," added Surrey Coun. Mary Martin.

Surrey cycling advocate Paul Hillsdon said the money doesn't appear to go as far as he would like but said it still adds up to a major improvement to the city's cycling network.

"There's been these missing gaps and they're filling in some of those, so that's great to see," he said. "The pedestrian bridges are the most important part."

Map of bike route upgrades
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ZjTgr2lzXzg/Sd0mk7hhC5I/AAAAAAAABZU/NDlICUH_Qd4/s512/surrey%20bike%20upgrades%20map.jpg
Planned new bike paths/lanes are shown on in red. Existing routes are in green.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_area/surreyleader/news/42703722.html

Whalleyboy
Apr 20, 2009, 11:06 PM
I figured this would be best put here
OCP2010 - THE 2010 OFFICIAL COMMUNITY PLAN REVIEW

As a guiding document for the City, the Official Community Plan (OCP) offers a vision and master planning framework for Surrey’s future, and will guide growth and development over the next 30 years. The updated plan will incorporate recent policy directions from the Sustainability Charter, the Transportation Strategic Plan, the Parks, Recreation and Culture Strategic Plan, the Economic Development Strategy and other major policy initiatives since the last major update in 2002.

The review process will have four phases:

1. Background Issues and Issues Analysis (Fall 2008 - Spring 2009)
2. Identification and Evaluation of Alternatives (Spring/Summer 2009)
3. Draft Plan Preparation (Fall 2009)
4. Finalizing the Plan (Winter/Spring 2010)

During the process, we will consult with stakeholders and the public to get feedback on important questions, including:

* How will Surrey respond to the challenges of climate change?
* How will we address jobs and housing for the 250,000 new residents expected over the next 30 years?
* What kind of transportation options does Surrey need?
* How will we protect and enhance our natural environment and green infrastructure?

Background Reports

Corporate Report C006] (April 14, 2008) (http://surrey.fileprosite.com/contentengine/Link.aspx?ID=29705)
Corporate Report R040] (March 30, 2009) (http://surrey.fileprosite.com/contentengine/Link.aspx?ID=31218)

OCP Issues and Options Presentation (http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/B4E12507-764C-470E-A45F-56F8B0959F58/46546/OCPIssuesandOptionscopy.pdf)

Upcoming Events

Share your thoughts on the OCP’s vision and issues at one of these Phase One Open House Sessions:

Tuesday, April 21, 2009
5pm - 9pm
Guildford Recreation Centre
15105 105 Avenue

Tuesday, April 28, 2009
5pm - 9pm
Newton Recreation Centre
7120 136B Street

Thursday, April 30, 2009
5pm - 9pm
Sunnyside Hall (Bakerview Park)
1845 154 Street

Tuesday, May 5, 2009
5pm - 9pm
Surrey Museum
17710 56A Avenue

Open House Ad (http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/B4E12507-764C-470E-A45F-56F8B0959F58/46529/COS_OCP2010_NOWAD2.pdf)
from http://www.surrey.ca/NR/exeres/B4E12507-764C-470E-A45F-56F8B0959F58,frameless.htm?NRMODE=Published

osirisboy
Apr 20, 2009, 11:23 PM
so surrey only plans on the population increasing 8333 in 30 years?

Whalleyboy
Apr 20, 2009, 11:34 PM
say what?=S

metroXpress
Apr 21, 2009, 12:21 AM
^ thanks for posting :) You found the right place

SpongeG
Apr 21, 2009, 2:57 AM
so surrey only plans on the population increasing 8333 in 30 years?

How will we address jobs and housing for the 250,000 new residents expected over the next 30 years?

CoryHolmes
Apr 21, 2009, 5:01 AM
How will we address jobs and housing for the 250,000 new residents expected over the next 30 years?

Probably with some variation on:

XXXXX YYY Ave
Surrey, BC

:cool:

osirisboy
Apr 21, 2009, 12:10 PM

yea thats what i meant. my point is that 8,333 new people every year doesnt seem like a lot to me. I thought surrey would grow faster than that.

Vancity
Apr 21, 2009, 6:56 PM
I want Richmond to grow faster =)

SpongeG
Apr 21, 2009, 9:20 PM
so there can be more death and mayhem when the quake hits?

Whalleyboy
Apr 22, 2009, 1:21 AM
yea thats what i meant. my point is that 8,333 new people every year doesnt seem like a lot to me. I thought surrey would grow faster than that.

It still faster growing then any where else
but that number does sound weird to think cause i remember hearing some where surrey was getting like 1000 a month

metroXpress
Apr 22, 2009, 2:34 AM
^ I think that is possible!

Whalleyboy
Apr 22, 2009, 2:54 AM
i believed that too

Whalleyboy
Apr 22, 2009, 5:58 AM
so i just found out that Henlong market was looking to update there store a little while back...wonder if there still wanting to
its the little asian market place on 104ave and 144st
http://www.avionmultiplex.com/commercial/hen-long-development-surrey-bc/
http://www.praltd.com/portfolio/commercial/henlong_market_surrey.htm

Whalleyboy
Apr 23, 2009, 11:07 PM
there looking into adding a roundabout at 88th and king george. I dont like the thought of it personally
http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/39181361-88B1-4870-AF21-C5666C8939F8/0/RCPHApril202009.pdf
page 5

CoryHolmes
Apr 24, 2009, 12:27 AM
there looking into adding a roundabout at 88th and king george. I dont like the thought of it personally

Ew. Just... ew. That is a major east-west connector route (coming from Ladner and the Tilbury Industrial Parks) and intersecting with the major north-south passageway (KGH). That's a biiiiiiiiiig chance to take.

I know roundabouts work. I know they've been proven in other places. Places that aren't BC and certainly not in Surrey (minus a few exceptions here and there). I think roundabouts should be eased in, and not *bam* right in our faces.

Whalleyboy
Apr 24, 2009, 2:35 AM
the round about on 108 they have proposed even make more sense to me
but this one is just wrong. They should do it on a minor street like 84 or something 88th should be left alone

metroXpress
Apr 24, 2009, 3:16 AM
Is there a need for one?

CoryHolmes
Apr 24, 2009, 4:00 AM
Is there a need for one?

IIRC, 88th and KGH is one of the worst intersections in the whole province as far as crashes go. Obviously allowing the current system to remain is not going to help since most (and I say most) drivers are insane morons who can't be bothered to read the speed limit let alone a mind-breaking concept like slowing down for a yellow light.

Whalleyboy
Apr 24, 2009, 5:35 AM
Is there a need for one?
well if they want to calm king george down then probably

SpongeG
Apr 24, 2009, 5:54 AM
that link isn't working - where does one look to find it?

and wow - thats a pretty huge intersection to get a roundabout - i was stuck through 3 red lights last friday during rush hour

Whalleyboy
Apr 24, 2009, 10:56 PM
http://www.surrey.ca/Inside+City+Hall/Council+Meetings+and+Schedules/Action+Items/default.htm
its the public hearing one

metroXpress
Apr 25, 2009, 12:25 AM
Surrey goes Google
Camera maps out our streets
Ted Colley, Surrey Now
Published: Friday, April 24, 2009

Smile. You could soon be on Google's Street View.

A car with a battery of cameras mounted on the roof and the Google logo on its sides has been spotted cruising Surrey streets in recent days. It's busy capturing digital images for Street View, a visual aid available through the search engine's map and Google Earth applications.

A Google Canada representative who identified herself only as Tamara said the streetscapes captured by the camera car is intended to help people find their way around the world's cities.

"It's 360-degree street level imagery of cities people can use to make sense of driving directions by seeing landmarks. People can also use it to explore a neighbourhood they're thinking about moving to," Tamara said.

The imaging work is in the early stages out West and Tamara said it will be several months before Surrey's byways are available on Street View. Eastern Canadian cities will be up in a few weeks and major cities in the U.S. and several European countries are already there.

And don't worry about smiling as the camera car passes by. Google protects the privacy of those caught on camera by blurring faces and licence plates.

"We take users' privacy really seriously," Tamara said.

"We do the blurring and it's extremely easy to request removal of any image considered to be sensitive or inappropriate."

A "Report a problem" link at the bottom of each Street View page allows a user to request the removal of an image by filling out an online form stating any objections.

To see Street View images, use the search box to bring up a map of the city of interest, then drag the orange man-shaped icon in the upper left corner of the window into the map.

If photos are available, one of that particular locale will appear, allowing the user to rotate the image through 360 degrees for a good look around.

© Surrey Now 2009

http://www2.canada.com/surreynow/news/story.html?id=6a969b03-1a01-4352-9ad7-0f5f71765ea4

go_leafs_go02
Apr 25, 2009, 3:33 AM
yep..spotted them in Newton Town Centre late last week...I know I got on..haha

It was an ontario-plated vehicle...ford focus..with about a 2 m pole on top with cameras all around.

metroXpress
Apr 28, 2009, 12:28 AM
Surrey's GETS NEW SIGNS with NEW LOGO

BEFORE
http://www.beans-around-the-world.com/photos/surrey1.jpg

AFTER
http://www.whiterocksun.com/images/surrey-sign.jpg

Whalleyboy
Apr 28, 2009, 1:09 AM
there up finally? where is that one?
I've had this photo for a while since i've been waiting to see the new ones
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/NewSigns.jpg
Picture is from my photobucket

SpongeG
Apr 28, 2009, 1:14 AM
i've seen the new one along hwy #10 at the city hall

I think also might have seen it on 176th at the new intersection

metroXpress
Apr 28, 2009, 1:14 AM
There is one at the intersection of Scott Road (120th street) and Hwy 10...

the pic I posted here is probably a different one.

(can't believe that they didn't keep the beaver)

Whalleyboy
Apr 28, 2009, 1:31 AM
meh the beaver was cool and all but it was a way out dated sign. These new ones are nice and modern looking i like them

metroXpress
Apr 28, 2009, 1:33 AM
I don't like the colours.....

do you still remember the "Welcome to Surrey...The Beavers Die Here" thing...lol

Whalleyboy
Apr 28, 2009, 2:32 AM
i actually like the colours lol
and can't say i do remember

metroXpress
Apr 28, 2009, 2:38 AM
^ Did you see it in person yet?

mr.x
Apr 28, 2009, 2:42 AM

I'm sorry, but the whole "Venue City - 2010 Olympic And Paralympic Winter Games" bit at the bottom really cracked me up.

Really? Because you guys have a volunteer training centre, you're calling yourself a venue city?!!! :D

Whalleyboy
Apr 28, 2009, 3:12 AM
^ Did you see it in person yet?

not yet but i think i'll take a look going home from work since city hall is by my work lol

metroXpress
Apr 28, 2009, 3:26 AM
^ Good...they are much smaller compared to the old ones

Whalleyboy
Apr 28, 2009, 3:30 AM
i still think they will be better since there way more modern

Kodii
Apr 28, 2009, 3:38 AM
The new Surrey logo is definitely much better, but it is reminds me of the new Abbotsford logo. Even the sign reminds me of Abbotsford's sign along the freeway

Whalleyboy
Apr 28, 2009, 3:42 AM
when did abby geta new logo?

go_leafs_go02
Apr 28, 2009, 3:42 AM
much better.

i hated that beaver, and even the old coat of arms looked ancient.

Whalleyboy
Apr 28, 2009, 3:45 AM
the coat of arms is still the same lol

raggedy13
Apr 28, 2009, 4:09 AM
I like the new sign/logo much better. The old one reminded me of something like the welcome sign for a wilderness summer camp or Beaver Lumber or something. They needed a more contemporary urban image for branding purposes if they intend to have the region's second downtown and wish to attract more white collar businesses and investment.

hollywoodnorth
Apr 28, 2009, 4:10 AM
cool! the abby one looks great >> http://www.abbotsford.ca

hollywoodnorth
Apr 28, 2009, 4:11 AM
BUT WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CITY OF PARKS SLOGAN? aka the lamest slogan of all time?

Pinion
Apr 28, 2009, 4:37 AM
Old sign was better. New sign will look super dated in five years.

Whalleyboy
Apr 28, 2009, 4:42 AM
surrey been done with being the city of parks for a while
although we still have are parks lol
just it was about time surrey grew up and got rid of its cute little sissy motto
lol

LeftCoaster
Apr 28, 2009, 4:42 AM
Does it piss anyone else off that Surrey calls itself a venue city? What a joke.

Kodii
Apr 28, 2009, 4:44 AM
when did abby geta new logo?

It has been a few years now... maybe 2? I kinda miss the old raven/thunderbird/thing that we used to have, but it's like the beaver. Old.

Whalleyboy
Apr 28, 2009, 4:47 AM
wow shows how aware i am of when things happen out in abby lol

Kodii
Apr 28, 2009, 4:51 AM
Although I like how the Surrey logo is more modern, I don't think it was a good idea to use a building as a symbol for Surrey. There's gonna be a lot of growth in the city, and it seems a little weird to have a logo that says "Come to Surrey! We have this single particular building!"

In that way, I like Abbotsford's better

Whalleyboy
Apr 28, 2009, 5:07 AM
i like both of them its nice to see abby growing too

SpongeG
Apr 28, 2009, 5:19 AM
Although I like how the Surrey logo is more modern, I don't think it was a good idea to use a building as a symbol for Surrey. There's gonna be a lot of growth in the city, and it seems a little weird to have a logo that says "Come to Surrey! We have this single particular building!"

In that way, I like Abbotsford's better

tell that tto Toronto :haha:

vansky
Apr 28, 2009, 5:23 AM
tell that tto Toronto :haha:

Toronto...

I think the surrey logo and their website is brilliant, though there's hardly anything appealing to my eyes these days.

98fb
Apr 28, 2009, 5:58 AM

I'm sorry, but the whole "Venue City - 2010 Olympic And Paralympic Winter Games" bit at the bottom really cracked me up.

Really? Because you guys have a volunteer training centre, you're calling yourself a venue city?!!! :D

Relax. Why do you get so uptight over such little things.

Kodii
Apr 28, 2009, 6:01 AM
Relax. Why do you get so uptight over such little things.

I think most of us would agree that Surrey is being a little silly

SpongeG
Apr 28, 2009, 6:30 AM
why?

I like it that building at surrey central has been quite significant in turning the place around and providing "vision" and all that crap

go_leafs_go02
Apr 28, 2009, 5:44 PM
the coat of arms is still the same lol

but it is not the official city logo anymore.

Whalleyboy
Apr 28, 2009, 9:44 PM
It seemed to me you were saying it was gone

metroXpress
Apr 29, 2009, 1:29 AM

Really? Because you guys have a volunteer training centre, you're calling yourself a venue city?!!!

:yes: I agree. I don't think Richmond would change their sign and add that on.

The Abby one looks great!

Whalleyboy
Apr 30, 2009, 2:46 AM
Transit B-Line Improvements Open House

Improvements to transit service in Surrey and White Rock are planned for this winter and the spring of 2010. Residents of Surrey and White Rock are invited to participate in the Open Houses listed below. Service concepts for the proposed #531 White Rock/Langley and the #399 King George Highway B-Line service will be on display for public input.

Open Houses are an important part of the planning process, as they provide information to local residents and stakeholders, and solicit public feedback to the plan.

We invite you to attend the Open House during regular mall hours on:

Thursday, April 30, 2009, Central City Mall

Another open house is scheduled for May 7th - see details

For more information, contact:

John Timms Corporate Communications,
Coast Mountain Bus Co.
Tel: 604-953-3251
email: john.timms@coastmountainbus.com
from http://www.surrey.ca/NR/exeres/65143C03-36DF-4A16-9C17-AA539AE6E78B,frameless.htm?NRMODE=Published

metroXpress
Apr 30, 2009, 3:54 AM
Why does it have to be on a thursday?

Spork
Apr 30, 2009, 5:43 AM
No documents online showing the routes? Newbs @ Translink persist.

Why is the "b-line" going to be 399? Shouldn't it be 9X B-Line? I know that XX bus numbers are vancouver routes, but the 97-bline doesn't touch vancouver - and by that logic, the 98 should be 498.

usog
Apr 30, 2009, 6:03 AM
Someone be sure to ask for start date on the new B-line!

ambaUp
Apr 30, 2009, 6:18 AM
Someone be sure to ask for start date on the new B-line!

From what I've heard before, TransLink was saying the King George B-line would start pretty soon after the olympics as they would be able to keep the new bus drivers that were hired on the lead up to the olympics. Also, I assume the reason they're waiting until after the olympics is because they don't want to add a new service to have to cut it as soon as people become accustomed to it.

go_leafs_go02
Apr 30, 2009, 9:07 PM
From what I've heard before, TransLink was saying the King George B-line would start pretty soon after the olympics as they would be able to keep the new bus drivers that were hired on the lead up to the olympics. Also, I assume the reason they're waiting until after the olympics is because they don't want to add a new service to have to cut it as soon as people become accustomed to it.

scheduled startup - march 1, 2010.

CoryHolmes
May 1, 2009, 2:08 AM
Any idea what's going on with Holland Park? There's all sorts of construction going on, but I can't find anything.

paradigm4
May 1, 2009, 2:17 AM
Any idea what's going on with Holland Park? There's all sorts of construction going on, but I can't find anything.

I'll make a post about in on civicsurrey.com shortly, as well as details from what I learnt at the open house. Not too much to share...

Whalleyboy
May 1, 2009, 2:31 AM
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166633
theres some info on this thread about whats going on

Whalleyboy
May 1, 2009, 2:35 AM
here

Surrey's 2010 Olympic party zone will feature outdoor skating, curling and tobogganing, as well as live entertainment.

"Special emphasis will also be placed on ethnic-food services, licensed beverage areas and VIP hospitality," says a request for proposals.

According to the tender document, the free, 17-day music, sport and arts festival will take place on a 2.5-hectare site at Holland Park on the corner of King George Highway and Old Yale Road. Surrey is looking for a production team to run the party zone, including a producer, production manager, site manager and video director.

The celebration plaza will have two stages, including jumbo video screens and up to 100 large plasma TVs spread throughout the site.

"Major emphasis will be placed on watching live television feeds of the Games," said the request for proposals.

Construction is due to begin Jan. 25, 2010, and the main stage will be used

Feb. 8 when the Olympic torch relay is due to arrive in Surrey.

The party zone will be open from Feb. 12 to 28.

Proposed hours of operation are from 3 to 10 p.m., Monday to Thursday; 3 to 11 p.m. on Fridays; 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturdays; and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...274/story.html

Olympic-size party planned

Up to 100 plasma TVs and two giant video displays will be installed in Holland Park next year as the city prepares a huge party for the Winter Games.

The displays are part of an ambitious plan for North Surrey, which could include wrapping the 25-storey Central City Tower with a giant plastic image for some time leading up to the Games.

The city’s request for proposals calls for several technicians, including a video person responsible for “two stages including large video screens, up to 100 plasma TVs for various locations throughout the site.”

A major emphasis will be providing a television feed for the games, as well as ethnic food and licensed beverage areas.

Black Press has also learned discussions are under way with Central City to allow for the building wrap.

“You can see right through it,” said Coun. Linda Hepner, who said the city hasn’t decided on the image yet.

“If I could put the (Olympic) rings there I’d be thrilled, but we’re so tight on how often we can use that. It will probably look like a skier, or a skater or a snowboarder.”

Surrey will also be the venue for some key musical talent, Hepner said, as headliners coming to the Games will appear at several venue cities.

Hepner said admission to the events will be free. Surrey has budgeted for up to $3 million for the party, which will take place in lieu of Winterfest.
The party is to run from Friday, Feb. 12 to Sunday, Feb. 28, 2010.
http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_area/peacearchnews/news/41772027.html

metroXpress
May 1, 2009, 3:30 AM
Nice! Good to see parties planned....

Whalleyboy
May 1, 2009, 3:37 AM
it also looks like there adding proper washrooms there

WaxItYourself
May 1, 2009, 4:54 AM
I don't think that's what he meant by 'what is going on in Holland Park" Right now there is quite a bit of contrstruction happening in the park. From the looks of it they are upgrading the corner at Old Yale Road and East Whalley Ring Road with a few gardens and a fountain perhaps and at the opposite side they are working on that as well. In the center of the park near the large fountain they are putting up some stone columns with steel beams on the top. (Though I have no clue what they are going to finish it with) and near the front entrance it looks like they are either building some sort of small building or another fountain.

WaxItYourself
May 1, 2009, 4:54 AM
it also looks like there adding proper washrooms there

or that lol

Whalleyboy
May 1, 2009, 5:09 AM
lot of the construction by west whalley ring is likely for the display screen since its at the end point of the event lawn so plenty of room for people to view them with out crowding the side walk and paths there

Whalleyboy
May 1, 2009, 5:11 AM
and the steel beams are likely there to hold the plasma screens....surrey may have cleaned up but you dont want to not be safe when installing 100+ plasma screen

metroXpress
May 1, 2009, 4:47 PM
Humm.....Holland park :)

Whalleyboy
May 2, 2009, 6:53 AM
I'll make a post about in on civicsurrey.com shortly, as well as details from what I learnt at the open house. Not too much to share...
since your not around to do so i decide to put it on here what you got=P
Details on the City’s Olympic Plan

without comments

Now that Surrey is an official Venue City for the Olympics, a new Olympic Plan to leverage this status has been formulated. A Corporate Report was recently released with all the details. It also seems that the Plan will be officially released to the public this Saturday, May 2nd at 5:30pm at the Surrey Sport and Leisure Complex - the Mayor, Council, and Olympians will be on hand for the family friendly ceremonies, including the hand out of free skate or swim passes.

The Plan revolves around the theme of the Olympic Spirit and is broken down into five sections:

* Welcoming Spirit
* Community Spirit
* Active Spirit
* Business Spirit
* Cultural Spirit

Major initiatives include:

- A comprehensive marketing strategy with building wraps, torch relay flags, Olympic flags, Gateway signage, Transit Shelter signage, and street banners.

- Efforts to lure National Olympic Teams to train in Surrey. Interest has already been expressed from the Chinese and Korean Speed Skating Teams, the Russian Figure Skating Team, and the Norwegian Sledge Hockey Team.

- The Games Preparation Centre and two new Visitor Information Centres (one at Peach Arch, the other at the Pacific Highway).

- A 2010 Celebration Site will be setup in Holland Park, operating throughout the whole Olympics, save Mondays and Tuesdays. It will feature live broadcasts of Olympic events, sport activities, food, and live entertainment, plus major concerts on Friday and Saturday nights. The Celebration Site will showcase the latest in lighting and green sustainable technologies.

- Local and regional Olympian Ambassadors will tour local schools and the community to encourage sport and active living

- Establishment of a Volunteer Development Program to help find, train, and retain volunteers for 2010 and beyond in the City

- 52 social housing units provided by VANOC

- Development of promotional materials to be strategically targeted to investors, business people, and the international media

- Hosting of the Mayor’s Business Receptions at Robson Square, the Surrey Live Site, and SFU Surrey. It will present an opportunity to network and showcase Surrey on a global stage.

- The City has purchased 50 tickets to the Opening Ceremonies. The tickets will be distributed to community leaders, business people, and youth at risk. A selection process is being determined.

- A series of arts and cultural performances to be included in the Cultural Olympiad
from www.civicsurrey.com

paradigm4
May 2, 2009, 8:37 PM
Oh, he was asking what was going on with Holland Park, not the Olympic Plan - which I've yet to blog about. It will happen soon though!

Long story short, they are doing Phase 2 upgrades + the Spirit Square. Two new entrances, bathrooms, and a bigger square. Pics of construction and the blueprint will be on the site with the story eventually.

Whalleyboy
May 2, 2009, 9:21 PM
i swear i hate you some time paul. you make me jealous how good you are at getting all the info and picture.=P