PDA

View Full Version : Surrey/South Fraser Updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

vanman
Dec 3, 2011, 9:16 PM
Great pics of Cloverdale Rec Centre and Chick Bailey Rec Centre here:

http://gallery.ceiarchitecture.com/

Alot of gems in there thanks for posting.

Whalleyboy
Dec 10, 2011, 11:54 PM
so i saw this
(a) Development Variance Permit No. 7908-0312-00
3529 Investments Ltd.
13778 - 100 Avenue
To vary "Surrey Zoning By-law, 1993, No. 12000, Amendment By-law, 2010, No. 17171" Part 2, Section G.1, as follows:
(a) To increase the building height from 75 metres (250 ft.) to 137 metres (450 ft.)
To permit the development of two high-rise residential towers (20 storeys and 46 storeys) in Surrey City Centre.
No concerns had been expressed by abutting property owners prior to printing of the Agenda.
Note: See By-law No. 17170 and 17171 under Item H.6 and H.7 of this agenda. See Development Permit No. 7908-0312-00 under Item I.2(c) of this agenda.
these would be the towers going right by sky towers. i like the sound of the height they want to get and fact that its going into the third reading.

invisibleairwaves
Dec 11, 2011, 2:15 AM
so i saw this

these would be the towers going right by sky towers. i like the sound of the height they want to get and fact that its going into the third reading.

Would that be this project (http://www.civicsurrey.com/2010/11/08/46-storey-tower-envisioned-for-100-ave/)? Hope the tower design hasn't changed much.

Whalleyboy
Dec 11, 2011, 5:19 AM
yeah that would be them

SpongeG
Dec 11, 2011, 10:43 PM
has this been mentioned here?

Guildford Gateway

COMING SOON IN SPRING 2013 – "GUILDFORD GATEWAY"
DTZ Barnicke is pleased to offer for pre-lease Surrey’s newest “A” class office building at 10161 153rd Street in Guildford Town Centre.

http://www.dtzvancouver.com/media/com_iproperty/pictures/153rd%20St%2010161%20Guilford%20Gateway%20DTZ%20OFFICE%20LEASE.pdf

better renders etc at link ^^

http://www.dtzvancouver.com/media/com_iproperty/pictures/GuildfordGateway-render_thumb.jpg
dtzvancouver.com

officedweller
Dec 12, 2011, 8:15 PM
Looks like a nice project.
It'll extend the commercial core to the east - which is nice to see.

CoryHolmes
Dec 14, 2011, 11:37 PM
Would that be this project (http://www.civicsurrey.com/2010/11/08/46-storey-tower-envisioned-for-100-ave/)? Hope the tower design hasn't changed much.

yeah that would be them

I wonder if that has anything to do with the email Concord Pacific just sent me, asking if I was interested in registering for a project named Park Avenue...

invisibleairwaves
Dec 15, 2011, 1:50 AM
I wonder if that has anything to do with the email Concord Pacific just sent me, asking if I was interested in registering for a project named Park Avenue...

I think Park Avenue is actually the name for the last two towers of the Infinity/Park Place project, and I don't think Concord is doing this 100th St. project (looks way too nice to be Concord).

CoryHolmes
Dec 15, 2011, 2:21 AM
I think Park Avenue is actually the name for the last two towers of the Infinity/Park Place project, and I don't think Concord is doing this 100th St. project (looks way too nice to be Concord).

Zing! :) Have any clue who is doing it or what name it'll have? I want more info than generic elevation plans and design ideas!

Whalleyboy
Dec 15, 2011, 7:50 AM
concord is doing sky towers still i saw it in a previous meeting. But these towers are going up right beside sky towers.

you can find out more here
http://developers.surrey.ca/AMANDA5/eNtraprise/DInquiry/index.jsp
in the top one put in 08 0312

Whalleyboy
Dec 15, 2011, 7:52 AM
oh and its say DYS architecture is doing it

GMasterAres
Dec 15, 2011, 6:46 PM
Former Sky Towers = Park Avenue by Concord.

The 2 towers mentioned above will be beside those.

WaxItYourself
Dec 16, 2011, 12:30 AM
Yeah I was gonna say that sky towers has been renamed Park avenue as have the two buildings formerly part of the original plan for Infinity Towers that have not begun being built yet. Can't recall where I saw that but I did see it in an image somewhere. The two towers you are talking about are talked about here:

http://www.civicsurrey.com/2010/11/08/46-storey-tower-envisioned-for-100-ave/

CoryHolmes
Dec 17, 2011, 3:01 PM
Did they ever get around to selling any units for Sky Towers or did the deal implode before then?

GMasterAres
Dec 17, 2011, 7:51 PM
Sky Towers were nearly fully sold out before the company went bankrupt. Everyone got their deposits back. Concord hasn't started "re-selling" yet. I doubt it will sell out quite as fast as the past but I'm sure they'll sell.

CoryHolmes
Dec 20, 2011, 6:58 PM
So, just to make certain I understand this:

Park Avenue is either a) towers 4 & 5 of the Infini- excuse me, "Park Place" project, or b) the new brand for the former Sky Towers project, or c) a whole new development just west of Sky Towers near Quibble Creek.

That's a whole lotta development for an area that is/was grassland and open lots :)

webster
Dec 20, 2011, 7:14 PM
Park Avenue is the old Sky Towers (2 towers)

The branding is Park Avenue, as it is owned by Concord who developed Park Place next door (the old Infiniti 2 and 3 towers)

East of Sky Towers, there is vacant land which has an application for 2 more towers - nothing to do with Concord

hopefully that makes sense? think i've confused myself...

mosup
Jan 10, 2012, 7:51 PM
i'm curious to see the progress on the new city hall in whalley. Is the building high enough to warrant a new thread on skyscraperforum?

theQ
Jan 10, 2012, 9:20 PM
The new city hall is a BIG HOLE at this time, seems like it's getting bigger by the day. I believe they're building the large underground parking (800 vehicle + I think I read somewhere) before they build the city hall on top... I'll try to take some photos in the next few days...

SpongeG
Jan 11, 2012, 5:43 AM
they did a story on it on the global news this morning - can't find any video of the report though

basically said construction has started and the new city hall opens in 2013

theQ
Jan 15, 2012, 1:06 AM
What happened to the civicsurrey website? I check it every few days, and today it showed a "cash advance" website...

Whalleyboy
Jan 15, 2012, 2:09 AM
works fine for me still

Whalleyboy
Jan 16, 2012, 2:54 AM
so new major development map and doc out

cool thing to see a plan for a 54 storey tower right beside central and new plaza is in the plans

43. Application No. 7911-0334-00
Address: 13450 – 104 Avenue
Developer: Century Group
Description of Project: A 54-storey mixed use building, containing 223 m² of
ground floor retail, 4,545 m² of office space, a 160-
room hotel and 320 apartment units.
A mixed-use high-rise tower consisting of four and and a half levels of underground parking connecting to the new City Hall parkade, four level tower podium and a high rise tower. The podium consists of a hotel, residential units, office and retail space at grade. Above the office space will be 36 levels of residential (320) units. Twenty levels of hotel (160) suites will be located beside the office and residential uses.
Date of Application: December 23, 2011

here
http://www.surrey.ca/files/JANUARY_2012_CITY_CENTRE_MAJOR__PROJECTS.pdf

invisibleairwaves
Jan 16, 2012, 4:54 AM
so new major development map and doc out

cool thing to see a plan for a 54 storey tower right beside central and new plaza is in the plans

43. Application No. 7911-0334-00
Address: 13450 – 104 Avenue
Developer: Century Group
Description of Project: A 54-storey mixed use building, containing 223 m² of
ground floor retail, 4,545 m² of office space, a 160-
room hotel and 320 apartment units.
A mixed-use high-rise tower consisting of four and and a half levels of underground parking connecting to the new City Hall parkade, four level tower podium and a high rise tower. The podium consists of a hotel, residential units, office and retail space at grade. Above the office space will be 36 levels of residential (320) units. Twenty levels of hotel (160) suites will be located beside the office and residential uses.

here

Aww yeah. And 54 floors? Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Lots of interesting projects on that map that I hadn't seen before. Super glad to see some mixed-use towers in there. I'm a little concerned about #31 though...one-story commercial building on a lot that size? Lemme guess: strip mall!

GMasterAres
Jan 16, 2012, 5:34 AM
Aww yeah. And 54 floors? Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Lots of interesting projects on that map that I hadn't seen before. Super glad to see some mixed-use towers in there. I'm a little concerned about #31 though...one-story commercial building on a lot that size? Lemme guess: strip mall!

If anyone is interested, #42 is the Bosa phase 1 that was mentioned by civicsurrey.com a month ago. 24 and 37 storey towers.

As for 31 being 1 storey, that is 140th and 104th which is where the massive power distribution lines for BC Hydro run. You can't build much else. It is right now an open lot so getting just anything built would be nice. I'd imagine it will be something that integrates the bike and walkway path that follow the right-of-way.

But you're quite limitted right at that intersection. The other side has a decent commercial building and direct diagnal is where you typically buy Chistmas trees seasonably again due to the height restrictions with the power lines overhead.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=surrey+BC&hl=en&ll=49.191479,-122.834305&spn=0.000014,0.008572&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=26.316024,70.224609&vpsrc=6&hnear=Surrey,+Greater+Vancouver+Regional+District,+British+Columbia,+Canada&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=49.191476,-122.834144&panoid=B3ZyfUGk3q1UuXol1bZvRQ&cbp=12,220.86,,0,-9.8

Also on the 54 storey tower, the project is still going through the paces. I believe the entry that was put into the city was actually taller. If you read the initial review page it says 20 floors of hotel, 5 of office, and 36 of residential in the tower. I don't know about you but that adds up to 61 storeys. I'm sure being in initial review it will take a bit to go back and fourth. Would love to see something like that built even 54 storey. With hotel and office you'd be looking at around 550 feet high. If it is 61 with the mixed you'd be in and around 610 feet. A tower of that height would make sense right there smack dab in the center. It could also be 56 + 5 storey building (2 buildings). Can't wait to see the planning report when it is ready to go to council. Someone else here with a bit more connection can probably get more info though before that.

Whalleyboy
Jan 16, 2012, 5:58 AM
I've already asked paul if he knows anything since he seems to have some connections. but I'm guessing they are working with the city on this since it will be connected right to the plaza. I dont want to say it since i know surreys history with big towers is bad but this could be hopeful

also on note of the whole map one development i'm really interested in is the three towers on 104 ave. its currently where the pizza hut and pool hall is. But i havent been able to see much of anything on it

GMasterAres
Jan 16, 2012, 5:15 PM
Yah I'd agree with the working with the city thing. It seems as though part of the design includes new roads especially a proper connection and extension of City Parkway all the way to 108th. They want to get the roads done right and you can see on Paul's site that the 2 diagrams he posted have both different road configurations which ultimately lead to different building design and site layout.

whalley13
Jan 16, 2012, 9:25 PM
shovels in the ground, shovels in the ground....a lot of these plans can get shelved with the unstable economy, any guessing on which project will be next to go from theory to actually breaking ground?

GMasterAres
Jan 16, 2012, 11:33 PM
shovels in the ground, shovels in the ground....a lot of these plans can get shelved with the unstable economy, any guessing on which project will be next to go from theory to actually breaking ground?

My money is on Park Avenue (Concord replacement to Sky Towers) or the one next to it. Park Avenue already is aproved and the one next has gone through final adoption so technically both could start construction tomorrow. I agree though shovels in the ground before I get excited about any project.

theQ
Jan 17, 2012, 3:38 AM
From the "Surrey City Development Corporation" website:

http://surreycitydevelopment.com/projects

SCDC is also involved in a joint venture with Century Group on a major mixed-use tower in the City Centre.

When I first read this a few months ago, I assumed it was referring to the Holland Point development... I'm glad to see another tower in the city centre!

Whalleyboy
Jan 17, 2012, 7:35 AM
From the "Surrey City Development Corporation" website:

http://surreycitydevelopment.com/projects

When I first read this a few months ago, I assumed it was referring to the Holland Point development... I'm glad to see another tower in the city centre!

i actually remember seeing that a while back to i assumed it was the same thing on it being holland point.

But this makes more sense to be working with the city instead of holland point

Also on a note about civicsurrey talking about this tower. He pointed out that its taking place where the suppose arts centre was going to go. Looks like they are gonna have to remove the rec centre. Which would be cool since they can do the hug plaza connection from central to city hall. Plus maybe they can bring back the outdoor skating rink idea from earlier plans.

Metro-One
Jan 17, 2012, 7:44 AM
Oh boy, here we go again.... I am not getting my hopes up this time, Surrey has crushed them too many times when it comes to any tower potentially over 150 meters.

VanCvl
Jan 17, 2012, 3:20 PM
Oh boy, here we go again.... I am not getting my hopes up this time, Surrey has crushed them too many times when it comes to any tower potentially over 150 meters.

Agreed. I'm as excited as everyone else, but for every proposal there seems to be two or three that don't make it off the drawings. The only thing that has changed from the last "boom" was that the quality of developers (ie Bosa and Concord) are in the market.

theQ
Jan 17, 2012, 5:48 PM
i actually remember seeing that a while back to i assumed it was the same thing on it being holland point.

But this makes more sense to be working with the city instead of holland point

Also on a note about civicsurrey talking about this tower. He pointed out that its taking place where the suppose arts centre was going to go. Looks like they are gonna have to remove the rec centre. Which would be cool since they can do the hug plaza connection from central to city hall. Plus maybe they can bring back the outdoor skating rink idea from earlier plans.

I'm a bit concerned about the rec centre re-development. On most of the proposed plans, the rec centre is gone... However, they just renovated the wall in front of the pool. I think a great plan would be to get rid of the skating rinks (hopefully a private company could build some more rinks nearby) and leave the pool and fitness room.

I'm fairly optimistic that this 54 story tower will get built. 1) As mentioned on civicsurrey, the building permit was "hidden" as part of the city hall building permit. 2) The city has been building a 800+ space underground parking lot which is much more than is needed for city hall. This new building will use part of this new parking facility. Essentially, the city is already building the underground parking for this new tower.

I'm hoping that somebody can find drawings/renderings for this new tower...

theQ
Jan 17, 2012, 5:58 PM

I really want to see some drawings/renderings of this project. This description leaves MANY questions!

Is this one 54 story high tower? Or is it two towers on top of a podium? The description states a 4 level podium - on top of that 36 levels of residential... Then it states 20 levels of hotel will be located BESIDE the office and residential uses... This could be a podium with a 36 story tower AND a 20 story tower...

IF this were the case, it would be closer to this plan that was released previously
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/krohnk/siteplan.jpg

whalley13
Jan 17, 2012, 5:58 PM
I agree on park avenue, but imo, it doesn;t really count as concord is taking over an already approved, once sold out building(s)...its good, but to show the d/t "boom" is for real, I need to see a builder take a risk on a brand new project and take it from theory to actual ground breaking....in this regard i think rize alliance building will be it

nickinacan
Jan 17, 2012, 8:33 PM
I really want to see some drawings/renderings of this project. This description leaves MANY questions!

Is this one 54 story high tower? Or is it two towers on top of a podium? The description states a 4 level podium - on top of that 36 levels of residential... Then it states 20 levels of hotel will be located BESIDE the office and residential uses... This could be a podium with a 36 story tower AND a 20 story tower...

IF this were the case, it would be closer to this plan that was released previously

In the newly updated (As of January 2012) Surrey City Centre Major Projects (http://www.surrey.ca/files/JANUARY_2012_CITY_CENTRE_MAJOR__PROJECTS.pdf) sheet that was already posted above, it definitely states for #43:

A 54-storey mixed use building, containing 223 m² of ground floor
retail, 4,545 m² of office space, a 160-room hotel and 320 apt. units

It looks like it compromises the East and South East portion of the plaza, leaving room on the North East for the tower addition for City Hall. So it does look like it should occupy the buildings in the plan you pointed out, but it will most likely be just a single tower and podium now.

officedweller
Jan 17, 2012, 9:36 PM
Nice - there would be less shadowing on the plaza with a single tower instead of two.

nickinacan
Jan 17, 2012, 9:51 PM
Nice - there would be less shadowing on the plaza with a single tower instead of two.

Not to mention the perfect opportunity to develop a true signature tower for Surrey.

GMasterAres
Jan 17, 2012, 10:06 PM
I agree on park avenue, but imo, it doesn;t really count as concord is taking over an already approved, once sold out building(s)...its good, but to show the d/t "boom" is for real, I need to see a builder take a risk on a brand new project and take it from theory to actual ground breaking....in this regard i think rize alliance building will be it

Would agree with you there on the Park Avenue part. The entire project even the 2 additional towers next to Park Place are all old towers from the past.

I do still think the other larger tower next to Park Avenue (Sky Towers) will be first only because it has already been adopted. The Rise towers are on 3rd reading and from what I've seen the developer is still going back and fourth with city Engineers/Planners with drawings. So it may be mid to end of spring before we get anywhere near final adoption on that project.

Then again it could take that long for any of the other projects to get going. The developers also don't want to over saturate the market. I think gone are the days in the next 5 years where towers sold out in 2 seconds flat. Even big projects in Burnaby right around metro town took a bit longer than in the past to sell. So I'd be surprised if we see 5+ residential towers being built at the same time or going for sale at the same time.

I could be wrong though.

nickinacan
Jan 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
Then again it could take that long for any of the other projects to get going. The developers also don't want to over saturate the market. I think gone are the days in the next 5 years where towers sold out in 2 seconds flat. Even big projects in Burnaby right around metro town took a bit longer than in the past to sell. So I'd be surprised if we see 5+ residential towers being built at the same time or going for sale at the same time.

I could be wrong though.

Not at all. Most of the Burnaby towers have price points that are well beyond the Surrey towers. Even just comparing some of the newly completed towers in Metrotown to some of the new towers in Surrey, you are expected to pay an extra $100,000+ for Burnaby for a comparable apartment. So as long as they can get the price points right, and the economy doesn't take a nose dive (again), we should see many of these proposals started.

In addition, I believe that after this last round of high rises, Surrey was going to implement stricter architectural standards to keep everything from becoming too monotonous.

Diet Butcher
Jan 18, 2012, 4:58 AM
This is another useful document to see where certain projects have progressed to

http://www.surrey.ca/files/Current_Major_Projects_in_scc_January_15_2012.pdf

Anyone have any word on the SFU Residence? Haven't heard anything on it in awhile, I wonder if it's dead?

GMasterAres
Jan 22, 2012, 6:04 PM
Only thing I've seen on the SFU residences it that the year to start construction keeps being bumped. Was 2010 then 2011 and now 2012.

GMasterAres
Jan 22, 2012, 6:04 PM
Not at all. Most of the Burnaby towers have price points that are well beyond the Surrey towers. Even just comparing some of the newly completed towers in Metrotown to some of the new towers in Surrey, you are expected to pay an extra $100,000+ for Burnaby for a comparable apartment. So as long as they can get the price points right, and the economy doesn't take a nose dive (again), we should see many of these proposals started.

In addition, I believe that after this last round of high rises, Surrey was going to implement stricter architectural standards to keep everything from becoming too monotonous.

Hope you're right.

Whalleyboy
Jan 22, 2012, 6:27 PM
Only thing I've seen on the SFU residences it that the year to start construction keeps being bumped. Was 2010 then 2011 and now 2012.

Its not even on the map of developments for central anymore

also i notice know one said anything on the bosa part being on there
heres a bit about it from what i found. Note this is only the area between 104 and 105 ave right against university drive. not the whole block.

One 3-storey apartment building containing 340 units.
One 24-storey apartment building containing 200
units and townhouse unit. One-storey commercial
building containing 734 m²

To construct a mixed-use development with two residential towers, street oriented townhouses, retail, and a central street over 4 levels of underground parking. The towers are 24 and 37 stories. Total of 552 residential units are proposed.

Warmac
Jan 22, 2012, 6:46 PM
Its not even on the map of developments for central anymore

I found The SFU five year capital plan and the only mention of residences that I found concerned the ones up at the Burnaby campus. Seems like expanding the academic facilities at SFU Surrey takes priority at the moment.

SFU Capital Plan (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfu.ca%2Ffs%2Ffiles%2FCampus_Planning%2FCapital_Plan%2F2012-2017_capital_plan_final__-_May_30.pdf&ei=oFYcT5KmBo79iQK184ThCA&usg=AFQjCNECyBctJ2lHcbOzmswdeC0LDh3d5Q&sig2=Fut6It1M47RpBpDKee72WA)

theQ
Jan 22, 2012, 10:53 PM
I also read the description below. I really wonder if there's a typo in it though (not from you, but from the city)... It would make more sense to me if they missed a digit after the "3" so it would be "33" or "35". It's hard to imagine a 340 unit 3 story building on that site, especially if it's shared with a 24-story apartment! Also, the site plan that is posted on civicsurrey seems to show two towers on that site...

WaxItYourself
Jan 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
I also read the description below. I really wonder if there's a typo in it though (not from you, but from the city)... It would make more sense to me if they missed a digit after the "3" so it would be "33" or "35". It's hard to imagine a 340 unit 3 story building on that site, especially if it's shared with a 24-story apartment! Also, the site plan that is posted on civicsurrey seems to show two towers on that site...

In the short write-up after the initial statistics above it states that the 2nd building will be 37 stories.

SFUVancouver
Jan 22, 2012, 11:54 PM
Interesting to read some early details about SFU Surrey's planned expansion.

A.1 SFU Surrey – Science, Health and Technology (phase 1)
A.3 SFU Surrey – Graduate Facilities (phase 2)
A.2 SFU Surrey – Business and Other (phase 3)

Project Description: Surrey’s next building will be the first phase of a three phase development that will provide space required to serve the needs a total of 2,500 additional FTE within a comprehensive and full service campus. This phase will provide for science, health and technology programs and will be comprised of classrooms, research and teaching laboratories, academic offices and a data centre to serve the SFU Surrey campus. The estimated GSM for this project is 18,000 GSM.

Project Costs: $90 million
Source: http://www.sfu.ca/fs/files/Campus_Planning/Capital_Plan/2012-2017_capital_plan_final__-_May_30.pdf

Whalleyboy
Jan 23, 2012, 12:59 AM
In the short write-up after the initial statistics above it states that the 2nd building will be 37 stories.

I posted two things from two different areas on the cities pages

if you look at the picture from civic surrey it makes some sense how it will work
heres the picture
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/bosa2-500x304.jpg
heres hows its I think its gonna be laid out
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/bosa2.jpg

theQ
Jan 23, 2012, 1:23 AM
Thanks Whalleyboy,

It's still difficult to picture so many units (340) in 3 stories - especially since the tower beside will have 100 units less and be 24 stories. I live at the Fuse, a 3 story complex, and we have 84 units - so it'd take 4 Fuse complexes to equal as many units as they're going to build!

Of course it's possible that they'll all be 450 sq/ft 1 bedroom units and they'll cram them in a small area...

Having said that, I'm very glad to see that empty space developed - it's been a real eyesore!

Whalleyboy
Jan 23, 2012, 1:26 AM
maybe the units connect between the two and they count the lower 3 floors of the tower as part of the 3 storey building

hollywoodnorth
Jan 23, 2012, 6:12 AM
Interesting to read some early details about SFU Surrey's planned expansion.

Source: http://www.sfu.ca/fs/files/Campus_Planning/Capital_Plan/2012-2017_capital_plan_final__-_May_30.pdf

interesting stuff there.

also of interest is this in regards to Downtown Vancouver.

SFU Vancouver
The current lease for Harbour Centre expires in 2017. Within the time horizon of this Capital Plan, alternatives (lease or buy or build) will need to be developed and a funding mechanism negotiated and implemented. If the solution involves relocation from the existing location, adequate time will be needed to plan, build and relocate before the expiry of the existing lease in order to ensure SFU Vancouver programs continue uninterrupted.

if they need to build .... maybe they could work with VCC on a project using the VCC grounds downtown.

off topic I know. but interesting none the less

Nites
Jan 24, 2012, 8:04 AM
Interesting. How tall in meters do you guys think this will be?

http://www.civicsurrey.com/2012/01/16/54-storey-tower-joining-city-hall-soon/

Saw this in the newspaper 2 days ago.

I guess I can't get too excited though. Flashbacks of the 81 floor 900 foot behemoth.

LeftCoaster
Jan 24, 2012, 2:40 PM
"A 54-storey mixed use tower opposite the new City Centre Library on City-owned land. The proposal includes ground floor retail, four floors of office space, twenty storeys of hotel space, and 36 floors of residential units."

How does this math work? Is the hotel split into two towers or something? I can't think of any conceivable combination that allows for a 54 storey tower given the amount of floors they allocated to each use.

Pinion
Jan 24, 2012, 4:49 PM
interesting stuff there.

also of interest is this in regards to Downtown Vancouver.

SFU Vancouver
The current lease for Harbour Centre expires in 2017. Within the time horizon of this Capital Plan, alternatives (lease or buy or build) will need to be developed and a funding mechanism negotiated and implemented. If the solution involves relocation from the existing location, adequate time will be needed to plan, build and relocate before the expiry of the existing lease in order to ensure SFU Vancouver programs continue uninterrupted.

if they need to build .... maybe they could work with VCC on a project using the VCC grounds downtown.

off topic I know. but interesting none the less

Is it really possible that Harbour Centre will shut down? It will totally screw up the other downtown satellite campuses. All the operations are based out of HC, which is in between the other buildings.

It's in a heritage building (not actually Harbour Centre, contrary to popular belief) so it's not like they can redevelop the property anyway.

GMasterAres
Jan 24, 2012, 5:45 PM
So I drove by the site across from Surrey Memorial where this:

http://www.civicsurrey.com/2011/05/04/another-healthcare-tower-planned-for-downtown-surrey/

tower is planned for construction. Looks like it is starting construction. They have stripped the parking lot down to the dirt and have some excavators there now. Looks like site prep to get ready to start digging and build it.

It's the tower between 137 and 137a across from the Hospital. 12 storey medical I believe. That is a good thing especially for the other medical tower proposed for the Knight & Day location meaning that one can fill up now not needing to compete for tenants.

GMasterAres
Jan 24, 2012, 5:56 PM
You can't fit 340 units into a 3 storey building. I have a feeling that is a typo. The project description is actually:

To construct a mixed-use development with two residential towers, street oriented townhouses, retail, and a central street over 4 levels of underground parking. The towers are 24 and 37 stories. Total of 552 residential units are proposed.

You add up 340 and 200 you get 540. That leave 540 units between the 20 storey and 37 storey towers, and 12 townhouse units.

The "3 storey" building in Whalleyboy's image mock up would actually be the townhouse units. That size makes sense for 12.

Whalleyboy
Jan 24, 2012, 10:52 PM
So I drove by the site across from Surrey Memorial where this:

http://www.civicsurrey.com/2011/05/04/another-healthcare-tower-planned-for-downtown-surrey/

tower is planned for construction. Looks like it is starting construction. They have stripped the parking lot down to the dirt and have some excavators there now. Looks like site prep to get ready to start digging and build it.

It's the tower between 137 and 137a across from the Hospital. 12 storey medical I believe. That is a good thing especially for the other medical tower proposed for the Knight & Day location meaning that one can fill up now not needing to compete for tenants.

this is awesome news!

VanCvl
Jan 31, 2012, 6:38 PM
Bing Thom will design Surrey's new Performing Arts Centre
By Amy Reid, Surrey Now, January 30, 2012

The City of Surrey is moving ahead with plans to build a performing arts centre in City Centre.

It is anticipated the centre will include a flexible main stage theatre with at least 1,600 seats, a studio theatre with approximately 250 seats as well as other arts amenities.

Bing Thom Architects has been selected as the architectural consultant for the project, and has begun the programming, site selection and conceptual siting.

Bing Thom has designed and won awards for other projects in City Centre, including integrating Central City Shopping Centre with SFU Surrey, creating Central City tower as well as designing the new City Centre Library, which opened in 2011.

"The City of Surrey has a half million residents and we need a major performing arts facility if we're going to create a dynamic downtown core and foster our creative economy," said Mayor Dianne Watts in a press release.

Read more: http://www.thenownewspaper.com/news/Bing+Thom+will+design+Surrey+Performing+Arts+Centre/6074513/story.html#ixzz1l3uynUhe

officedweller
Jan 31, 2012, 9:41 PM
Great news - they have a lot of experience with performing arts centres, too.

Whalleyboy
Jan 31, 2012, 9:51 PM
personally i'd take an arena for the city centre before an arts centre

nickinacan
Jan 31, 2012, 10:07 PM
personally i'd take an arena for the city centre before an arts centre

There is no point. Both Abbotsford and Langley both have new arenas. A performing arts centre is something that is lacking in outside of Vancouver. Correct me if I am wrong, the current largest theatre outside of Vancouver is the Bell Centre (1052 Seats) in Surrey. The new centre would make it the 4th largest in the Lower Mainland, Behind the QE Theatre (2,929 Seats), The Orpheum (2,780 Seats) and the Centre for the Performing Arts (1,836 Seats). Just for comparison, The Vogue has 1,144 seats. The bonus of the smaller venue just sweetens the deal. Hopefully they make this another jewel in the civic plaza.

Whalleyboy
Jan 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
There is no point. Both Abbotsford and Langley both have new arenas. A performing arts centre is something that is lacking in outside of Vancouver. Correct me if I am wrong, the current largest theatre outside of Vancouver is the Bell Centre (1052 Seats) in Surrey. The new centre would make it the 4th largest in the Lower Mainland, Behind the QE Theatre (2,929 Seats), The Orpheum (2,780 Seats) and the Centre for the Performing Arts (1,836 Seats). Just for comparison, The Vogue has 1,144 seats. The bonus of the smaller venue just sweetens the deal. Hopefully they make this another jewel in the civic plaza.

yeah but thats abby and langley. Surrey needs some sort of sports venue in the centre for its self. Its stupid to see both langley and abby have event centres while surrey has nothing.

go_leafs_go02
Jan 31, 2012, 10:27 PM
yeah but thats abby and langley. Surrey needs some sort of sports venue in the centre for its self. Its stupid to see both langley and abby have event centres while surrey has nothing.

Langley's is just minutes away from the Surrey border. If Langley didn't have their arena - I would agree that City Centre would definitely be an excellent place for one.

Whalleyboy
Jan 31, 2012, 11:50 PM
Langleys is way to small to share between both Surrey and Langley plus its set for Langley teams in it sports and not big enough for good concerts. Plus if i'm going there for hockey i want to cheer on Surreys teams not Langleys. Sure you can go out to watch surrey eagles at home but thats all the way out in south surrey which is in a park and its not even big enough to sit 1500 (1242 fixed seating) and you have to drive to it.

If Surrey built its 10,000 seat arena like they were talking about a while back they could maybe try and pull a ECHL team back to Canada since Victoria gave their team up. Plus with all the west coast teams in that league it wouldn't be a money drain like AHL in Abbotsford where they pay for teams to come here. Plus it could double for concerts and other stuff. I mean a lot of things have been coming out to Abbotsford these days since they open up their arena. But if you say just go there that's a 35-50 min drive still and that's living right by the highway and you can't take transit there from Surrey.

red-paladin
Feb 1, 2012, 1:04 AM
Great news that Bing Thom will design this building too. I like everything he's done in Surrey so far.

Millennium2002
Feb 1, 2012, 2:04 AM
I like the look of Bing Thom's architecture style on the buildings... but as nice as they are I'm a little surprised that some portions of Central City seemed to have been designed a little poorly. The ledge of the roofs for example create rain shelters which would be a magnet for birds if they didn't put in rather distracting netting to keep them away. Another bone of contention would be the huge slab of concrete of the old mall that's really just sitting there collecting dust on the third floor of the galleria. And finally, I don't know whose idea it was to put a narrow hallway just for emergency stairs and lockers behind the library... Anyway, nitpicking aside, I do think the quality of his work has improved with the library, and hopefully the City Hall and the Arts Centre will be equally as good if not better.

SpongeG
Feb 1, 2012, 9:17 AM
did lightmodal already get mentioned here? i saw it a while back and it was quite cool and i forgot to see what it was all about until i stumbled across something on it tonight

http://organelledesign.com/lightmodal.shtml

SpongeG
Feb 1, 2012, 9:33 AM
this sounds really cool - has anyone checked it out? part 1 is over p art 2 runs until march apparently

urban screen in surrey

This is Surrey Urban Screen, part of an "outreach program of the Surrey Art Gallery." [city site source] It's been active since the Olympics, over a year and a half ago. You can see it on the left-hand side from the Skytrain as you head from Gateway to Surrey Central. For those of you in Vancouver, that's on the other side of the bridge.

December 2 was the opening for Electric Speed, Part One, by Melissa Mongiat and Mouna Andraos. The basic idea is that it's a collage of headlines from the past year. Viewers can participate by texting to a phone number that's on the side of the building. It runs until January 15. Part 2 runs from January 27 to March 31, and shows the work of Jon Sasaki, Jeremy Bailey, Jillian McDonald and Will Gill.

http://spacingvancouver.ca/2012/01/09/an-urban-screen-opening-in-surrey/

WaxItYourself
Feb 1, 2012, 10:07 AM
this sounds really cool - has anyone checked it out? part 1 is over p art 2 runs until march apparently

urban screen in surrey

http://spacingvancouver.ca/2012/01/09/an-urban-screen-opening-in-surrey/
There is a video of it here. Lightmodal begins at about 1:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46mNRAQt5u4

invisibleairwaves
Feb 3, 2012, 9:33 PM
I'd love to see a new arena in Whalley (maybe where the Lions practice facility and adjacent soccer field are?) but honestly I'd rather the City not get involved financially with a project like that. Arenas do have a tendency to turn into white elephants. Langley's new building seems to be pretty busy so far, but that doesn't mean Surrey's necessarily would.

A performing arts center on the other hand would probably be cheaper to build and operate, and as mentioned, there's a lack of them outside of downtown Vancouver. If it's a choice between the two, I'd much rather see taxpayer money spent on the theatre.

Diet Butcher
Feb 5, 2012, 4:20 PM
Looks like they are starting to clear the lot for Project #27 on the Major Projects Map:

Application No. 7910-0025-00
Addresses: 13242 – 104 Avenue
Developer: Mr. Lin
Description of Project: One, 4-storey apartment building containing 112 units.

This will be right across the street from the Rize 2 Tower Development

dharper
Feb 6, 2012, 9:28 AM
Has anyone driven down the newly widened 96Ave? Have you seen the eastbound lanes are fine, but the westbound lanes turn sharply around the Esso station at 168St. Albeit, the intersection isn't finished yet, but if you continue a straight line to the west and east of the intersection, at least half of the pumps will have to come out, and possibly half the access to the remaining pumps will have to go. Is this stations lease up soon, or did someone screw up big time?
I posted this more than a year ago now. Does anyone have any clue as to when the Esso will be moved or removed, to complete the intersection?

go_leafs_go02
Feb 6, 2012, 9:40 PM
I posted this more than a year ago now. Does anyone have any clue as to when the Esso will be moved or removed, to complete the intersection?

It's property problems that are to blame. Don't know when that will be fixed, but eventually, it will be addressed.

theQ
Feb 7, 2012, 3:16 AM
Looks like they are starting to clear the lot for Project #27 on the Major Projects Map:

I walked by the property today. It looks to me like they're preparing the site for a presentation centre. I wonder if it's a presentation centre for the proposed 4-story apartment building? Or if the Rize is renting the property and putting a presentation centre on that site.

What I saw was that the corner part of the lot is being levelled, and they've installed a hydro poll with a new hydro meter on the pole. The kind that you often see beside a portable...

Either way, I'm quite happy! I'd love to see marketing for the Rize set to begin...

theQ
Feb 7, 2012, 11:25 PM

I walked by the site today and there was a Rize van across the street. I spoke with the guy who came out of the van, and he confirmed that they're preparing the site across the street for a presentation centre... He said the presentation centre will open in "3-4" months.

So I guess the site isn't being prepared for the 4 story condo building that's supposed to eventually occupy the site, but for the Rize presentation centre instead.

I asked him when the project would start getting built, and he said that it depended on the sales.

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/krohnk/Rizevan.jpg

Diet Butcher
Feb 8, 2012, 3:38 AM
I walked by the site today and there was a Rize van across the street. I spoke with the guy who came out of the van, and he confirmed that they're preparing the site across the street for a presentation centre... He said the presentation centre will open in "3-4" months.

So I guess the site isn't being prepared for the 4 story condo building that's supposed to eventually occupy the site, but for the Rize presentation centre instead.

I asked him when the project would start getting built, and he said that it depended on the sales.

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/krohnk/Rizevan.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the update, this is better news!

CoryHolmes
Feb 10, 2012, 6:58 AM
Rize is the development in the middle of 104, right? Across the street from the apartment buildings and a litle north of the Urban Village?

What about the Bosa sign property at University/104? Any news about that development?

whalley13
Feb 10, 2012, 6:05 PM
there was a vancouver sun article a couple days ago about bosa plans for 2012. They are planning to start marketing of the 104th avenue project this fall, and are in negotations for four other properties in d/t surrey. Sounds legit, as the bright has been completely cleared out, so I think demo should be coming soon.

nickinacan
Feb 10, 2012, 7:12 PM
After these census results, I think we can expect development to really pick up speed in the City Centre. There is too much opportunity for development and business to simply ignore anymore.

officedweller
Feb 10, 2012, 10:01 PM
The Bosa references were in Malcolm Parry's article:

http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/columnists/story.html?id=91279ebf-b65f-4a7e-ae6f-145f9ec6e95c&p=2

Whalleyboy
Feb 16, 2012, 7:16 AM

well i've finally figure this one out in looking around
its a mixed office and residential building at 54 storeys
with a 20 storey hotel beside it
both build on the same mixed use podium

officedweller
Feb 16, 2012, 8:49 PM
Is the hotel to the north or south of the office/res tower?
i.e. I think the hotel sould be south - so they can build an overhead walkway to link the hotel to the new performing arts centre for convention centre purposes.

theQ
Feb 17, 2012, 2:36 PM
well i've finally figure this one out in looking around
its a mixed office and residential building at 54 storeys
with a 20 storey hotel beside it
both build on the same mixed use podium

That's great! Have you found any pictures/drawings/renderings? I've been looking at Century Group's website on a regular basis hoping to find something...

Q

Whalleyboy
Feb 17, 2012, 5:01 PM
sadly still havent found any pictures yet but i'm keeping an eye out.
Currently that building is my main hope of new offices coming into central. The moment i noticed the original link for gateway office park stop working i gave up on those ones

nickinacan
Feb 17, 2012, 5:59 PM
Currently that building is my main hope of new offices coming into central. The moment i noticed the original link for gateway office park stop working i gave up on those ones

I would rather have this built than the Gateway Office Park for a number of reasons.

Surrey Central should be built up first as it is slated to be the business and financial centre for the South Fraser
It would be a strong signal for redevelopment around Surrey Central Station, an area that has one of the highest concentrations of pedestrians in Metro Vancouver, but has never capitalized off of this.
There is pent up demand for office space in the area, and many sites are in need of redevelopment.

Whalleyboy
Feb 17, 2012, 6:14 PM
gateway office park is still in central area that is in high demand for office space

nickinacan
Feb 17, 2012, 8:34 PM
gateway office park is still in central area that is in high demand for office space

I know it is in the City Centre area, but it isn't around Surrey Central, where the city wants the business core to be. Gateway and King George should develop organically and the Surrey Central area should be more "master planned" with a much finer grid.

On another note, hopefully this year we will start to see some proposals or redevelopment along King George Boulevard.

theQ
Feb 19, 2012, 8:31 PM
I was listening to CKNW yesterday on my way home from work.

There was a talk show on called "talk to the experts" and they were interviewing a realtor called Vince Taylor who was talking about the state of real estate in BC.

He mentioned a "revolutionary" development that was going to be built in downtown Surrey called "Wave". He said that there's been nothing like it on the market, and then went on talking about "flexible living". He gave the illustration of a person who only needs a 1 bedroom/den condo, but might want to host a large Christmas party - he said that it'd be great if that person could move the walls within their condo to create a bigger space when needed, then he said that the Wave is the first such development that will be flexible like that! He gave another illustration of a person that needs a second bedroom, but only on weekends since that's when they have custody of their child - but usually that bedroom would be wasted space during the rest of the week. But in the Wave, that room could become part of the living space, and only become a bedroom when needed...

It was quite an interesting interview. I've been looking online to listen to it again, but I can't find a way to listen to past programs online (they used to have an "audio vault" section. The discussion about surrey was at 2:15pm yesterday if anybody else can find a way.

I believe they were talking about the new Rize development - though I'm not sure. The renderings that Paul posted on civicsurrey.com of the Rize towers do look quite "wavy".

Vince also said that he was told the presentation centre would open in the next couple of months, and I know that Rize is working on their presentation centre right now....

incognism
Feb 19, 2012, 8:42 PM
:previous: This may work: http://www.cknw.com/other/audiovault.html

Reminds me of a simpler execution of this innovative apartment in Hong Kong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9qnWg9kak

Whalleyboy
Feb 22, 2012, 11:01 PM
just saw this at on the surrey leader site
http://www.surreyleader.com/news/140044553.html
An "eyesore" at one of Surrey's busiest corners will soon be developed into commercial and residential development, if council approves submitted plans.

A numbered company purchased the old market for $7.3 million last month, ending more than a decade of desertion for the property.

In 1998, the Surrey Public Market, located at 64 Avenue and King George Boulevard, was a bustling spot to purchase fresh produce, knick-knacks and crafts.

Then, amid some leasehold disagreements, the multiple tenants at the property packed up and left, with many leaving an active lease.

By September, 1998, the market was empty – and it's remained that way since.

Now, for the first time since then, the property has a new owner who plans to lease the northern portion of the property to a developer looking to build office, retail or housing.

The numbered company that purchased the property is run by a Daisy Da Silva.

Surrey's planning department has already received an application to change the zoning on the north side of the property to allow for a mixed development.

According to the application, that would allow for commercial development on the bottom floor, and 108 apartments built on a single floor above it.

The 40,000-sq.-ft. existing building on the south side of the property is up for lease, at $12 a square foot.

Todd Bohn, of Front Line Real Estate Services, said he's looking for a single tenant for the building, maybe two.

"It's a wide-open 40,000-square-foot building," Bohn said in an interview with The Leader Wednesday. "We've been getting tons of action from different people, whether it's retailers, assembly groups... because there's 135 underground parking stalls there."

He expects about $1 million will need to be spent fixing up the existing building and making it rentable.

"So we want to make sure we've got appropriate tenants in the before we fix it up," Bohn said.

Asked if the owner is entertaining the idea of a casino, Bohn didn't know.

"I have not had that conversation at all," Bohn said. "I don't know what the city's thoughts would be on that."

Coun. Barinder Rasode is thrilled to see the property in new hands.

"We are so excited that eyesore is finally going to be developed," Rasode said, adding the city will be working closely with the builder. "That is a significant corner in that neighbourhood. It's been sorely neglected for way to long."

tybuilding
Feb 23, 2012, 1:56 AM
just saw this at on the surrey leader site
http://www.surreyleader.com/news/140044553.html

Here I thought that place at 64th Ave used to be a church. I was wondering what that place used to be.

Whalleyboy
Feb 23, 2012, 5:35 AM
I remember being there when i was really little it was nice. But the owner just started upping the prices so much it cam cheaper to open a store in the malls then it did there.

Personally I'm really glad to see something finally coming of that building cause it has been a bad eye sore for a way to long.

nickinacan
Feb 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
I remember being there when i was really little it was nice. But the owner just started upping the prices so much it cam cheaper to open a store in the malls then it did there.

Personally I'm really glad to see something finally coming of that building cause it has been a bad eye sore for a way to long.

Yes. And hopefully next something will come up for that Asian Centre on 104th. That place has been completed and vacant for way too long.

osirisboy
Feb 23, 2012, 2:23 PM
why is it called asian centre? is that actually its name?

Whalleyboy
Feb 23, 2012, 5:23 PM
no its not its name its just a name it picked up over the years. Cause orginally it was suppose to be an asian shopping centre.

GMasterAres
Feb 23, 2012, 7:48 PM
Actually that was it's name. It was known as "The Canadian Asian Centre" when the proposal went through and it starte construction. That's why the name stuck. It is over 13 years old now and still completely empty. Last I had read was back from 2010 when a deal with Fraser Health had fallen through. They're, as far as I know, still looking for someone to lease 100,000 square feet.

It's strange though because everyone involved in that project over the last 5 years has said there is a lot of demand and it is in a great location. My question though is, why is it still empty then? The 100,000 square feet must be strangely configured because in that time you've had store expansions in the area and even just 5 or so blocks away a Superstore constructed.

I wonder if Surrey ever does build LRT down 104th if that will be the final push to fill that building up. Seems silly to have 250,000 sq feet unfilled. It also seems to me like that could affect the draw to Surrey for commercial space. Some businesses look at Surrey and go "Hey if you can't fill that in 13 years... wtf?" and they look away.

nickinacan
Feb 23, 2012, 8:03 PM
Actually that was it's name. It was known as "The Canadian Asian Centre" when the proposal went through and it starte construction. That's why the name stuck. It is over 13 years old now and still completely empty. Last I had read was back from 2010 when a deal with Fraser Health had fallen through. They're, as far as I know, still looking for someone to lease 100,000 square feet.

It's strange though because everyone involved in that project over the last 5 years has said there is a lot of demand and it is in a great location. My question though is, why is it still empty then? The 100,000 square feet must be strangely configured because in that time you've had store expansions in the area and even just 5 or so blocks away a Superstore constructed.

I wonder if Surrey ever does build LRT down 104th if that will be the final push to fill that building up. Seems silly to have 250,000 sq feet unfilled. It also seems to me like that could affect the draw to Surrey for commercial space. Some businesses look at Surrey and go "Hey if you can't fill that in 13 years... wtf?" and they look away.

Many real estate companies exclude the Asian Centre (Now dubbed the 104 Avenue Centre) because it does, in fact, skew Surrey's commercial vacancy rate:

(Note: 104th Avenue Centre at 104th Avenue and 142nd Street is not included in Avison Young statistics. The 260,000-sf building, originally designed to be a cultural centre and then marketed to large office users, has been vacant since completion in 2005.)

http://www.avisonyoung.com/sites/default/files/market-intelligence/OMR_MID_YEAR_2010_WEB.pdf

SFUVancouver
Feb 24, 2012, 6:51 PM
Many real estate companies exclude the Asian Centre (Now dubbed the 104 Avenue Centre) because it does, in fact, skew Surrey's commercial vacancy rate:

I don't think that it should be excluded just because it skews the numbers. We don't exclude million-plus dollar houses and penthouses when calculating the average cost of housing, nor do we exclude 100% off-limits land like watersheds when calculating our region's density. It is embarrassing that Surrey has had the Asian Centre sit empty for so long but it's a fact.