PDA

View Full Version : Surrey/South Fraser Updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Cypherus
Aug 4, 2018, 10:13 PM
Thanks Shift for finding the render. That's a great looking tower and 25 storey's is the perfect height for the area. Loving how the towers are flowing from King George Station through to Innovation Village (Hospital) with Avani, this tower, and the one across the street slated for residential.

Nites
Aug 14, 2018, 8:36 AM
https://i.gyazo.com/603930a73d9c473f99e433770cd0837c.jpg

Another lot I'm curious about is this one. It was torn down a few weeks ago and is still being cleared out.

GMasterAres
Aug 14, 2018, 6:47 PM
Interesting. There was a proposal back in 2010 for that lot and basically the entire property through to 104th Avenue to build a few high rises totaling 504 units with some mixed use commercial/retail.

It didn't go anywhere and is now closed I think due to the financial crisis, nothing new on the books though it seems.

Only thing active is next to that building there a permit request in (18-0057-00) to reduce existing parking ratio for Steve Nash Fitness World for an apparent new grocery store there.

The empty field in your image across the street (Whalley Boulevard West Side) has a DVP currently in process 18-0141-00 to build a 35 storey tower with 4 storey podium. 341 residential units + ground floor retail. Also is proposing a separate 3 storey commercial building next to it.

Still in review, nothing posted yet for view.

Would be nice to see 18-0141-00 go forward and maybe a few more towers on the plot of land you mention. They're pretty much next to the new Anthem phased development where Canadian Tire is, and now that they purchased the Toys R Us land there, that whole 4 block square could see 10-12 high rises developed in the coming years. Would start to fill out "Surrey Central" and move density away from being directly around SkyTrain.

Westbased
Aug 14, 2018, 8:05 PM
Wall Financial has picked up 12.5 acres directly north of Highstreet Mall in Abbotsford for $26 million; this about a block off of Trans Canada Highway.

I believe that land is designated for mid-rise.

Cypherus
Aug 15, 2018, 1:12 AM
Interesting. There was a proposal back in 2010 for that lot and basically the entire property through to 104th Avenue to build a few high rises totaling 504 units with some mixed use commercial/retail.

It didn't go anywhere and is now closed I think due to the financial crisis, nothing new on the books though it seems.

Only thing active is next to that building there a permit request in (18-0057-00) to reduce existing parking ratio for Steve Nash Fitness World for an apparent new grocery store there.

The empty field in your image across the street (Whalley Boulevard West Side) has a DVP currently in process 18-0141-00 to build a 35 storey tower with 4 storey podium. 341 residential units + ground floor retail. Also is proposing a separate 3 storey commercial building next to it.

Would be nice to see 18-0141-00 go forward and maybe a few more towers on the plot of land you mention. They're pretty much next to the new Anthem phased development where Canadian Tire is, and now that they purchased the Toys R Us land there, that whole 4 block square could see 10-12 high rises developed in the coming years. Would start to fill out "Surrey Central" and move density away from being directly around SkyTrain.

A friend who lives across the street in the townhouse complex (south of the lot) said she received a notice that a tower will be proposed on the cleared lot, although no details at the time.

Nites
Aug 15, 2018, 8:53 AM
A friend who lives across the street in the townhouse complex (south of the lot) said she received a notice that a tower will be proposed on the cleared lot, although no details at the time.

Interesting. I'll ask a source of mine who also lives in that complex.

Nites
Aug 15, 2018, 8:54 AM

It seems like parking would be non existent if they decide to go through with that. That gym is one of the biggest in Surrey.

Shift
Aug 15, 2018, 9:58 PM
Big new application at 10138 Whalley Blvd - site in red below just south of Anthem's Georgetown.

"1070 dwelling units"

Applicant noted to be "Rize Atelier (WLY) Limited Partnership (Benn Duffell )" - but I don't think it's the same as Rize Aliance (Wave developer). A quick search seems to indicate they are the owner of the current 3-storey apartments that are on the site.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Development-Inquiry/?year=18&seq=0289

https://i.imgur.com/DwNyK5v.jpg

Tetsuo
Aug 15, 2018, 10:57 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/45cc5dd09b925342439ed0b78ae2a428.jpg

Anyone know if there has been any activity with this site? There use to be a school here which was torn down maybe 5-6 years ago but nothing has happened since. It's a huge lot, probably around 2.5-3 acres.

The old Fleetwood elementary, closed and demolished(heritage) due to its "inappropriate commercial zone location", while the district is still strapped for space...

Site sold for $10M

The owners have applied for the following, to allow for the development of a mixed-use,
transit-oriented development (TOD) of approximately 6,650 square metres (71,600 sq.ft.) of
commercial, retail and office space and approximately 272 apartment units and six (6)
townhouse units:

https://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcouncillibrary/PLR_7914-0121-00.pdf

EhJay
Aug 16, 2018, 3:07 AM
Big new application at 10138 Whalley Blvd - site in red below just south of Anthem's Georgetown.

"1070 dwelling units"

Applicant noted to be "Rize Atelier (WLY) Limited Partnership (Benn Duffell )" - but I don't think it's the same as Rize Aliance (Wave developer). A quick search seems to indicate they are the owner of the current 3-storey apartments that are on the site.

1070 dwelling units? What's that, 3 towers? phew

Nites
Aug 16, 2018, 8:02 AM
1070 dwelling units? What's that, 3 towers? phew

Or 2 large towers w/500+ units each and street level complex below?

scryer
Aug 16, 2018, 6:17 PM
I see a lot of parking lots in that image :hell:

Bring on the 1070 units!!

Westbased
Aug 17, 2018, 1:51 AM

"1070 dwelling units"

https://i.imgur.com/DwNyK5v.jpg

It actually is Rize Alliance! Benn Duffell is Vice President of Development at Rize Alliance.

They own quiet of bit of land now, this the yellow medical building, Linea...

osirisboy
Aug 17, 2018, 2:12 AM
It would be nice to see smaller developments. Not small as in the building but small as in the area of land. I don't want the area to be a bunch of massive developments with point towers everywhere like Metrotown. Doesn't lend itself to an inviting downtown feel imo

Nites
Aug 17, 2018, 8:07 AM
It would be nice to see smaller developments. Not small as in the building but small as in the area of land. I don't want the area to be a bunch of massive developments with point towers everywhere like Metrotown. Doesn't lend itself to an inviting downtown feel imo

I agree. With these large developments you get 2-4 towers looking the same.

Blease
Aug 17, 2018, 8:37 AM

I agree as well. Smaller developments add variety and character to a city. New towers look soulless and cold. I believe because Surrey is some years behind Metrotown in terms of development, we’re in a good position to avoid the mistakes they made.

Westbased
Aug 18, 2018, 2:15 AM
I agree as well. Smaller developments add variety and character to a city. New towers look soulless and cold. I believe because Surrey is some years behind Metrotown in terms of development, we’re in a good position to avoid the mistakes they made.

Absolutely, if we can add some mid level buildings like 10-15 floors too, it would add some great variety to the skyline

CoryHolmes
Aug 18, 2018, 2:20 AM
More than sheer height, I want towers that meet the ground in an effective manner. I don't want "towers in a park", where each is a self-contained bedroom community. Give me ground-level retail and podium-level townhouses, anything to get the people a chance to interact with each other.

Westbased
Aug 19, 2018, 3:53 AM
More than sheer height, I want towers that meet the ground in an effective manner. I don't want "towers in a park", where each is a self-contained bedroom community. Give me ground-level retail and podium-level townhouses, anything to get the people a chance to interact with each other.

For sure; either commercial fronting the sidewalk, townhomes stepping down to the sidewalk, or else it should be access to park/plaza etc. and then continue with commercial or homes.

Shift
Aug 23, 2018, 5:35 PM

There are a number of smaller developments under application right now. A good handfull of small footprint 6-storey projects (contained within existing small lots - not a consolidation of a bunch of surrounding lots).

Larger sites like the new rize one and anthem site are existing large lots. The anthem site will be subdividing and punching in new roads / lanes which is great. Definitely won't be a towers in the park vibe like around Edmonds Station.

Below is an example of a 6-storey project under application. Instead of consolidating with surrounding lots - they are applying for a small footprint building with just a few units per floor on that existing lot. There are a few other sites of similar size with similar applications elsewhere.

https://i.imgur.com/ofjnbhk.jpg

CoryHolmes
Aug 24, 2018, 1:30 AM
I like that idea. I went downtown not that long ago and was kinda surprised by how many four- and eight-unit complexes there were on smaller lots.

osirisboy
Aug 24, 2018, 1:37 AM
There are a number of smaller developments under application right now. A good handfull of small footprint 6-storey projects (contained within existing small lots - not a consolidation of a bunch of surrounding lots).

Larger sites like the new rize one and anthem site are existing large lots. The anthem site will be subdividing and punching in new roads / lanes which is great. Definitely won't be a towers in the park vibe like around Edmonds Station.

Below is an example of a 6-storey project under application. Instead of consolidating with surrounding lots - they are applying for a small footprint building with just a few units per floor on that existing lot. There are a few other sites of similar size with similar applications elsewhere.

While that's good. I'm guessing the built form is like what the low rise portion of west village is like.

I was thinking more inline of highrises

Shift
Aug 24, 2018, 2:40 AM
While that's good. I'm guessing the built form is like what the low rise portion of west village is like.

I was thinking more inline of highrises

Prime is on a fairly small site.

osirisboy
Aug 24, 2018, 2:45 AM
Prime is on a fairly small site.

Yeah that's pretty good.

kh177
Aug 24, 2018, 11:55 PM

Good find - thanks for sharing.

Are there any additional details on this one? Curious to see what type of project’s feasible right now on a 12.5K square feet, especially if they have to put in some underground parking. I’d imagine the rental rates / condo prices aren’t as strong as Vancouver/Burnaby but construction costs (excluding land) are about the same.

Thanks

Shift
Aug 25, 2018, 6:00 PM
Good find - thanks for sharing.

Are there any additional details on this one? Curious to see what type of project’s feasible right now on a 12.5K square feet, especially if they have to put in some underground parking. I’d imagine the rental rates / condo prices aren’t as strong as Vancouver/Burnaby but construction costs (excluding land) are about the same.

Thanks

Proforma makes sense otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. I know condo prices have gone up significantly in the area in the past 2 years. This isn't the best location today, but once the 105A project is finished, the area around this site should start to redevelop. Porte's 6 storey HQ project is just a block to the east on 105A.

Cypherus
Aug 25, 2018, 11:34 PM
Noticed "Mason-Link Developments" have a fence around this lot now. I didn't notice that before, and couldn't find anything about it with the city, other than they are affiliated with Wave and the Fountana Group.

https://i.imgur.com/d4x8E45.jpg
https://masonlink.ca/

Shift
Aug 26, 2018, 5:22 PM
Noticed "Mason-Link Developments" have a fence around this lot now. I didn't notice that before, and couldn't find anything about it with the city, other than they are affiliated with Wave and the Fountana Group.

That's the site I posted about a few pages back - 'Lot G' below. Bus layover facility to be built to the south of it. Still no application for either however.

https://i.imgur.com/bnUHzTg.jpg?1

officedweller
Aug 27, 2018, 9:58 PM
From Lark twitter:

North Surrey Sport & Ice Complex
August 22nd:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlN1gphXgAAjlTf.jpg
Ongoing construction and completion of Rink 2&3 roof structures at North Surrey Sport & Ice Complex. New community arena for the @CityofSurrey complete with 3 Ice Rinks, weight room and multi-purpose rooms. Coming Fall 2019.
https://twitter.com/larkgroupbuilds

osirisboy
Aug 28, 2018, 1:18 AM
Is the plan to close the arenas downtown when this opens?

logicbomb
Aug 28, 2018, 1:54 AM
Is the plan to close the arenas downtown when this opens?

Yes, they will be demolishing the entire complex to make way for towers. There were plans to rebuild a smaller condensed aquatics and recreational center but those plans have since died.

Cannot stress how dumb it is to move the arena to the fringes of an industrial wasteland (and further away from a transit station).

osirisboy
Aug 28, 2018, 2:40 AM
Yeah I wish it was more central too. I assume this will be surrounded by lots of surface parking

Nites
Aug 28, 2018, 5:35 AM
Yeah I wish it was more central too. I assume this will be surrounded by lots of surface parking

The arenas main use will be for Ice Hockey and Figure Skating. I've never seen anyone carry ice hockey equipment through transit so I don't see the main point of having it in downtown. Maybe I'm wrong?

Westbased
Aug 28, 2018, 5:59 PM
Yes, they will be demolishing the entire complex to make way for towers. There were plans to rebuild a smaller condensed aquatics and recreational center but those plans have since died.

Cannot stress how dumb it is to move the arena to the fringes of an industrial wasteland (and further away from a transit station).

To be fair, Scott Road station is literally across the street. Also, there are 4 rental buildings underway also across the street. There will be decent amount of density around Scott Road station in the near future.

Shift
Aug 28, 2018, 11:43 PM

To be fair, Scott Road station is literally across the street. Also, there are 4 rental buildings underway also across the street. There will be decent amount of density around Scott Road station in the near future.

The arena and the new 6-storey apartments going up at Scott Rd will start to completely change the feel of that area. They are the first to come in a wider redevelopment around Scott Rd station. Great location for the arenas and good catalyst for the area.

Blease
Aug 29, 2018, 12:10 AM
It always feels grim when you cross the Fraser on skytrain into Surrey. The vast expanse of space you see when you first approach Surrey is used for industrial purposes and what a shameful waste of waterfront land it is. Glad to see the land around Scott Road station being developed in this manner. Hopefully developments between SR station and Surrey Central will meet up at some point in the future to form a cohesive whole.

CoryHolmes
Aug 29, 2018, 1:09 AM
The arena and the new 6-storey apartments going up at Scott Rd will start to completely change the feel of that area. They are the first to come in a wider redevelopment around Scott Rd station. Great location for the arenas and good catalyst for the area.

Revitalization has to start somewhere. For Central City, it was arguably the mall tower and Infinity that kick-started it all. For Bridgeview, this might be it.

osirisboy
Aug 29, 2018, 2:05 AM
Yes it has to start somewhere. I'm just picturing surface parking and poor interaction with the street. Typical suburban type development

EhJay
Aug 29, 2018, 2:15 AM
Good thing about surface parking, is it's pretty easy to build over it down the road or turn it into a multi-story parkade.

osirisboy
Aug 29, 2018, 5:23 AM
Good thing about surface parking, is it's pretty easy to build over it down the road or turn it into a multi-story parkade.

Yeah in a bout 30 years probably

officedweller
Aug 29, 2018, 10:19 PM
West Village District Energy Centre
From Scott Construction twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlxZASVU0AAqfCQ.jpg
https://twitter.com/ScottConstructs

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlxZATOUcAA8mJs.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlxZASUV4AAvB0O.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlxZASkUUAEy0fg.jpg

Shift
Aug 30, 2018, 4:13 AM
Looking forward to that honeycomb patterned area. Wonder if it will be concrete or cork, or maybe both.

https://urbansurrey.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/xdnlu3x.png

officedweller
Sep 13, 2018, 10:49 PM
From Scott Construction twitter today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm6kgN_XsAAhBnc.jpg
PROJECT UPDATE: The West Village Park and District Energy Utility is almost done construction! This project will be @CityofSurrey’s first permanent district energy facility providing @DowntownSurrey with a #sustainable source of hot water. Read more: http://ow.ly/fj3u30lNlKD

Shift
Sep 14, 2018, 7:17 PM
Not liking that cladding - hopefully the glazing makes up for it

Urbanmetro
Sep 20, 2018, 8:46 PM
Lots of development planned for north of 104 ave, just east of the two proposed Bosa towers. Application 18-0350-00 for 1134 dwelling units and 9691 sq. m. Of commercial space.

Shift
Sep 20, 2018, 9:46 PM
Lots of development planned for north of 104 ave, just east of the two proposed Bosa towers. Application 18-0350-00 for 1134 dwelling units and 9691 sq. m. Of commercial space.

This is the vacant former Brick / Sears outlet site to the north of Safeway.

Perkins + Will is on file as the applicant - nice.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Development-Inquiry/?year=18&seq=0350

https://i.imgur.com/sYEHv56.jpg

Westbased
Sep 21, 2018, 12:19 AM
This is the vacant former Brick / Sears outlet site to the north of Safeway.

Perkins + Will is on file as the applicant - nice.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Development-Inquiry/?year=18&seq=0350

https://i.imgur.com/sYEHv56.jpg

Thanks for the update Shift!

This will be a great project. Bosa and SCDC are the owners paired with Perkins and Will!

Looking forward to more details.

Flynn86
Sep 21, 2018, 1:40 AM
That a big lot of land. I bet they could build four towers on it.

Flynn86
Sep 21, 2018, 1:41 AM
That's a big lot of land. I bet they could build four towers on it.

EhJay
Sep 21, 2018, 2:08 AM
They want to subdivide it from 2 to 3 lots and say it will have 1134 units which is 373 per building (40 stories each I'm guessing). Be nice to be rid of the current eye sore that is there!

Sheba
Sep 21, 2018, 2:42 AM
They want to subdivide it from 2 to 3 lots and say it will have 1134 units which is 373 per building (40 stories each I'm guessing). Be nice to be rid of the current eye sore that is there!

Current? That's practically a historical eye sore! :D

Cypherus
Sep 21, 2018, 2:57 AM
Great news to see this moving along. Almost too many proposed towers for Surrey that a database needs to be kept.

If they are subdividing the parcel into 3 separate lots, looks like they may be going with a layout similar to an older vision (Option C) for the site (4 residential towers with commercial).

https://i.imgur.com/5Td1Glo.png

Shift
Sep 21, 2018, 4:31 PM
Nice things about this project:

Perkins + Will
Gets rid of the eyesore former Brick / and also has a frontage on 105 (helping extend development north / clean up that area).
Will re-align/fix the City Parkway / 104 Ave intersection so that City Parkway will finally be a continuous street from Surrey Central to Gateway.

As mentioned - Bosa is the owner of these lots. It will be the next phase of University District after the 2 towers at 104 / University.

Likely 4-5 towers

Shift
Sep 21, 2018, 4:46 PM
Great news to see this moving along. Almost too many proposed towers for Surrey that a database needs to be kept.

Active project database:

https://urbansurrey.com/surrey-city-centre-active-projects/

Currently:

6 towers under construction
17 towers approved
17 towers under application (approximately)
20+ towers known to be in planning stages (pre-app)

Also a lot of 4-6 storey approved / under application

Westbased
Sep 21, 2018, 6:04 PM

If they are subdividing the parcel into 3 separate lots, looks like they may be going with a layout similar to an older vision (Option C) for the site (4 residential towers with commercial).

https://i.imgur.com/5Td1Glo.png

Only thing that would need to change for that plan is the parcel fronting King George.

I believe Value Property Group owns that corner.

Cypherus
Sep 22, 2018, 7:04 PM
I haven't heard anything about this potential development at 10257 King George and there does not appear to be an application yet submitted. Looks like a vision at this point but I like the design.

https://mk0wcaicakfbbmavrdq9.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/10257KingGeorge-1-1400x787.jpg
__

https://mk0wcaicakfbbmavrdq9.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/10257KingGeorge-2-213x400.jpg | https://mk0wcaicakfbbmavrdq9.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/10257KingGeorge-3-296x400.jpg | https://mk0wcaicakfbbmavrdq9.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/10257KingGeorge-4-207x400.jpg
__

https://mk0wcaicakfbbmavrdq9.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/10257KingGeorge-5-800x352.jpg

https://wcai.ca/projects/residential,mixed-use/10257-king-george/

retro_orange
Sep 22, 2018, 7:07 PM
I haven't heard anything about this development at 10257 King George and there does not appear to be an application yet submitted.

Hello Gorgeous. :tup: Hopefully it gets built as rendered.

officedweller
Sep 24, 2018, 10:45 PM
From Lark twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlN1gphXgAAjlTf.jpg
Ongoing construction and completion of Rink 2&3 roof structures at North Surrey Sport & Ice Complex. New community arena for the @CityofSurrey complete with 3 Ice Rinks, weight room and multi-purpose rooms. Coming Fall 2019.
https://twitter.com/larkgroupbuilds

officedweller
Sep 25, 2018, 9:20 PM
Looks awesome, thanks!

Also looks like a condo.
An office tower with that style would be even better!

Lots of cool projects on that architect's website.

I haven't heard anything about this potential development at 10257 King George and there does not appear to be an application yet submitted. Looks like a vision at this point but I like the design.

https://mk0wcaicakfbbmavrdq9.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/10257KingGeorge-1-1400x787.jpg

red-paladin
Sep 25, 2018, 9:52 PM
Off topic posts were deleted.

LeftCoaster
Sep 25, 2018, 10:08 PM

Website says it's a feasability study for the site. Pretty nice massing for a feasability study.

Looks to be about 54 storeys? Anyone know who owns the site?

Shift
Sep 26, 2018, 9:35 PM
^The site is just to the north and east of the GEC Mega Centre - see map below.

Even if it is just a feasibility study at this stage, it shows that someone is looking into developing that site, and likely working towards an application.

Hard to say if an application would retain that design - but the height is about right for that site.

There will also be a new road along the south edge of the site (102A Ave)

https://i.imgur.com/yjxWcUY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ge4MWjF.jpg

Blease
Sep 26, 2018, 11:59 PM
Tragically Surrey will have to lose the “Money Tree” branch currently at that location.

CoryHolmes
Sep 27, 2018, 1:25 AM
Tragically Surrey will have to lose the “Money Tree” branch currently at that location.

Darn shame, that.

Didn't the sushi place in that block used to be where City Hall moved into? That old ratty, run-down stripmall along 104?

They're gonna have to move again, it seems. I keep meaning to try them out, but end up going across the street to Sushi King George.

GMasterAres
Sep 27, 2018, 5:56 PM
Darn shame, that.

Didn't the sushi place in that block used to be where City Hall moved into? That old ratty, run-down stripmall along 104?

They're gonna have to move again, it seems. I keep meaning to try them out, but end up going across the street to Sushi King George.

You should try it. I'd be sad to see them go away, it is actually a good bang for your buck Sushi place. Much better than Sushi King imho. If you're into sashimi, they give you nice sized chunks.

Definitely should try it.

Only thing in that strip mall I'd hate to lose but honestly this type of development needs to go forward. If you think about that area with GEC being built (still possible), the Anthem property being all re-developed, and if this got built it would continue the spark of densification in the core.

With the proposal now for the additional Bosa property to the North, I'd be really surprised if in at least the next 5 years we don't see the Safeway site being redeveloped too and some push toward the King George Skytrain station cluster of towers.

I hope the momentum can keep going in Surrey.

Shift
Sep 27, 2018, 11:23 PM
With the proposal now for the additional Bosa property to the North, I'd be really surprised if in at least the next 5 years we don't see the Safeway site being redeveloped too and some push toward the King George Skytrain station cluster of towers.

I hope the momentum can keep going in Surrey.

The momentum is about to get going unlike anything seen so far.

In 2019 expect 15 towers to be under construction:

Hub Phase B (3 Towers)
Park Boulevard
Avani Centre
Park George (2 Towers)
City Centre 3
West Village 5
Linea
Bosa Blue Sky (2 Towers)
Veterans Village
Georgetown Phase 1 (1 Tower)
Townline Holland Park

osirisboy
Sep 27, 2018, 11:57 PM
A three tower project in white rock start construction

https://www.peacearchnews.com/news/officials-break-ground-for-3-towers-in-white-rock/

Blease
Sep 28, 2018, 3:38 AM
A three tower project in white rock start construction

https://www.peacearchnews.com/news/officials-break-ground-for-3-towers-in-white-rock/

It’s the Foster Martin towers, I expect they’ll turn out very nicely. I drop by White Rock every now and then, it reminds me of West Vancouver. Foster Martin in particular remind me of some of the more upscale developments in West Van like Evelyn and the upcoming Grosvenor project.

osirisboy
Sep 28, 2018, 5:18 AM
It’s the Foster Martin towers, I expect they’ll turn out very nicely. I drop by White Rock every now and then, it reminds me of West Vancouver. Foster Martin in particular remind me of some of the more upscale developments in West Van like Evelyn and the upcoming Grosvenor project.

They havethe floor plans on their site. Penthouse looks nice!!

SpongeG
Sep 28, 2018, 7:29 AM
homeless shelter housing

oXyzYWA5HZo

EhJay
Sep 28, 2018, 2:37 PM
At the end of the day, it's a complicated issue. Can't just ship the homeless people anywhere. There needs to be more shelters, more supports, and more options for getting better. Until then, all will end up happening is gentrification and displacing people from one area to the next. And it'll continue to get worse with the fentanyl crisis continuing to pull recreational drug users down even further and off being able to hold a job down. Throw in automation and loss of jobs in the near future and it'll just get worse.

Bombaman
Sep 28, 2018, 2:50 PM
After they got removed from 135a, these people always gather along Kingsway just on the opposite side of one of the homeless shelther. If they are not relocated to another area in the next 3 to 10 years. As the population grows, I can see that area become "The Surrey's East Hasting". homeless shelter housing

oXyzYWA5HZo

Aroundtheworld
Sep 28, 2018, 5:14 PM
At the end of the day, it's a complicated issue. Can't just ship the homeless people anywhere. There needs to be more shelters, more supports, and more options for getting better. Until then, all will end up happening is gentrification and displacing people from one area to the next. And it'll continue to get worse with the fentanyl crisis continuing to pull recreational drug users down even further and off being able to hold a job down.

I agree. It will take time for the benefits of this to be seen. Shelters are only the first step towards helping these people live better lives and ultimately for improving the community. With a shelter, there is a means for providing treatment and support; you can't do effectively when they are homeless.

We will only stop seeing the people who need these shelters when child abuse, sexual assault and other traumatic activities cease to happen (i.e. a long time). We are seeing the product of a violent past. We can either choose to sweep it under the rug and pretend it isn't there, or do something to improve the situation.

Bombaman
Sep 28, 2018, 5:23 PM
Isn't it interesting most Asian immigrants rarely have this issue? I think most of the homeless are drug addicts and they made their choices. Even if you give them 100k each, most of them will blow it away on drugs quickly.

At the end of the day, it's a complicated issue. Can't just ship the homeless people anywhere. There needs to be more shelters, more supports, and more options for getting better. Until then, all will end up happening is gentrification and displacing people from one area to the next. And it'll continue to get worse with the fentanyl crisis continuing to pull recreational drug users down even further and off being able to hold a job down. Throw in automation and loss of jobs in the near future and it'll just get worse.

Blease
Sep 28, 2018, 7:04 PM
Isn't it interesting most Asian immigrants rarely have this issue? I think most of the homeless are drug addicts and they made their choices to become ones. Even if you give them 100k each, most of them will blow it away on drugs quickly.

Whatever problem the addicts had to begin with, they get so much when cold hard cash is handed to them. If I could have it my way, I would support, shelters and soup kitchens for the homeless and lengthy jail terms for those who dispose used needles on the streets, especially near schools.

Vin
Sep 28, 2018, 7:30 PM
I agree. It will take time for the benefits of this to be seen. Shelters are only the first step towards helping these people live better lives and ultimately for improving the community. With a shelter, there is a means for providing treatment and support; you can't do effectively when they are homeless.

We will only stop seeing the people who need these shelters when child abuse, sexual assault and other traumatic activities cease to happen (i.e. a long time). We are seeing the product of a violent past. We can either choose to sweep it under the rug and pretend it isn't there, or do something to improve the situation.

Would be nice to think there is treatment and support: but who makes sure there are follow-ups when people are placed in such shelters? Essentially shelters are rugs and you are still sweeping the problem under the rugs and pretend they're not there. The rugs don't come cheap, so that's why we need the follow-ups.

All the problems you mentioned come as a result of a vicious circle...starting from the free drug use culture of the 60s to the present. A few more disciplinary actions and spankings by responsible parents back then would prevent many of such issues today.

Whatever problem the addicts had to begin with, they get so much when cold hard cash is handed to them. If I could have it my way, I would support, shelters and soup kitchens for the homeless and lengthy jail terms for those who dispose used needles on the streets, especially near schools.

That would be a good start: you break the law, you pay for it as a criminal. Disposing used needles in public places like parks is tantamount to murder if children step on them, get sick and die as a result. We are currently too tolerant as a society to let everything go out of hand.

Aroundtheworld
Sep 28, 2018, 8:30 PM

Strangely enough, it's actually cheaper to house them and provide a social worker than it is to leave them on the street. There are very high incarceration and medical costs for homeless people.

Blease
Sep 28, 2018, 10:00 PM
Strangely enough, it's actually cheaper to house them and provide a social worker than it is to leave them on the street. There are very high incarceration and medical costs for homeless people.

Yes house them and feed them by all means, but we shouldn’t have to tolerate them using our public spaces as an all purpose garbage can and toilet.

Jalapeño Chips
Sep 28, 2018, 10:17 PM
Would be nice to think there is treatment and support: but who makes sure there are follow-ups when people are placed in such shelters? Essentially shelters are rugs and you are still sweeping the problem under the rugs and pretend they're not there. The rugs don't come cheap, so that's why we need the follow-ups.

All the problems you mentioned come as a result of a vicious circle...starting from the free drug use culture of the 60s to the present. A few more disciplinary actions and spankings by responsible parents back then would prevent many of such issues today.

That would be a good start: you break the law, you pay for it as a criminal. Disposing used needles in public places like parks is tantamount to murder if children step on them, get sick and die as a result. We are currently too tolerant as a society to let everything go out of hand.

You obviously have no clue, and no credibility, do you? Where are your stats, links, etc, to back that garbage up? The drugs in Vancouver began in the Chinese opium dens in bowels of Chinatown at the turn of the 19th -20th century. It was the Chinese who started drugs in Vancouver. It wasn't until the 30's that others dabbled. The problem started a long time ago buddy. Learn history. Stop spewing garbage.

Here, some links to a history lesson:

https://theprovince.com/feature/from-opium-to-fentanyl-how-did-we-get-here
http://www.vancouversun.com/this%2Bweek%2Bhistory%2Bvancouver%2Bworld%2Breporter%2Bchecks%2Bopium%2Bdens%2Bchinatown/9537540/story.html
https://theprovince.com/news/local-news/it-gives-you-the-shudders-a-1901-visit-to-a-chinatown-opium-den

GMasterAres
Oct 1, 2018, 4:52 AM

This isn't really the thread for this topic so this is the only post I'll make on this <sarcasm>new</sarcasm> topic within this thread, but I wanted to respond to your post because it unfortunately seems to portray a very narrow view of the world. I don't disagree with you that there needs to be follow-up, but we also have this thing called a Human Rights Code and unfortunately the sword swings both ways. Do people wanting to stop smoking quit the first time they try? What about alcoholics. Follow up sounds great in concept, but it is NOT as easy as you make it sound. Again, like I said a very narrow view of the world, and one I doubt has been touched by a major addiction of any kind.

Drug use has been around since pre-Egyption times. That's 3000+ years. To say it is all because of the 60s is just a _bit_ short-sighted. There's drug use in Asia, in Russia, in Europe, in South America. The "free drugs" 60s was a North American situation, so your reasoning is flawed at best just looking at the last 60 years. Expand it to the last 3,000 years and you can start to see how you may be just a bit off on the root cause of the problem I hope.

Honestly it is the thinking you're displaying in the above quote that is why we have such an issue today actually. Prohibition has never, in the history of humanity, lead to a long-term solution. The only solution is root-cause analysis and repair. Again don't get me wrong, I agree with parts of your post, especially when it comes to criminal action. Dumping needles on the ground also pisses me off. So does breaking into cars to feed drug addictions. Or people that run red lights (which kills far more people per year than discarded needles has in probably the last 100 years). But it can't all just be anger "THROW THEM IN JAIL" "Damned 60s!" as that will lead to no solutions at all, just a lot of wasted time, effort, and money.

A large portion of the homeless have mental disorders and should be in psychiatric hospitals. Instead they were all pretty much closed down to save money to prop up big spending promises by past governments. If you do a bit of historical digging you'll find ALL of the past governments regardless of political polarization, contributed.

Those without mental disorders, I guarantee the majority of have a root-cause that lead them to drugs. Yes it was a "choice" in the loose sense of the word just like you have a "choice" to go to work every day and earn a living (do you really tough?). But many turned to drugs as a mechanism to bury the pain or hurt at the root of their problems. No different than people that bury themselves at a casino many times a day, or those that work out twice a day 7 days a week, or those that pound down sugar even though their doctor tells them they'll have a heart attack.

Most of the time these types of actions are a result of hiding from some issue they don't want to, or are not able to deal with.

Ask any parent that has taken a stance of "tough love" how that has worked out for them with their children. You'll realize how it does far more harm than actually working on the root-cause and dropping the confirmation bias does.

Hey I make very good money and pay a lot of tax. I would be lying if I didn't admit a piece of me in my head screams "get off your damned drugs and stop taking tax dollars out of my pocket!" but facts are facts, and if you look at the latest numbers in from the opioid crisis, you'll see quite clearly that the MAJORITY of overdoses are not homeless, or people on Hastings, or in Whalley, but actually sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, in middle to upper-class homes across the region.

And to another poster earlier, yes there are immigrant Asians in that list.

I challenge everyone to look up what confirmation bias means, then look in a mirror and start doing some research with an open mind before you start throwing stones. If you don't want to, then you're part of the problem and part of why we are where we are today.

Sheba
Oct 1, 2018, 4:45 PM
A large portion of the homeless have mental disorders and should be in psychiatric hospitals. Instead they were all pretty much closed down to save money to prop up big spending promises by past governments. If you do a bit of historical digging you'll find ALL of the past governments regardless of political polarization, contributed.

Exactly. It's not as if people wake up one day and decide 'hey I'm going to become a drug addict and lose everything!' People with mental disorders should get extra support, not thrown out to fend for themselves - which is what has happened to plenty of them. The hospitals where they were living were closed down and not enough spaces were available for everyone.

Since then we've had a growing homeless population and it's a good thing that something is being done to try to take care of them. Yes that means that sometimes they'll be living in prime areas throughout the region - possibly even next door to some of the people posting here.

SpongeG
Oct 1, 2018, 7:57 PM

A part of the problem is BC has strong social programs and people come from out of province to take advantage of them, overwhelming the system. My friend worked on the island at several homes that took care of special needs adults. And he said quite often people would come from saskatchewan or elsewhere and dump their adult kids here in BC. So facilities are just not able to cope with the needs and amount of people.

vanman
Oct 9, 2018, 10:49 PM
My pic taken today.

https://i.imgur.com/hv1hmxX.jpg

officedweller
Oct 10, 2018, 4:19 AM
Pacific Inn Resort closed for major renovation into DoubleTree by Hilton
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pacific-inn-resort-surrey-doubletree-hilton

flipper316
Oct 10, 2018, 7:01 AM
Pacific Inn Resort closed for major renovation into DoubleTree by Hilton
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pacific-inn-resort-surrey-doubletree-hilton
Thanks for that link. I used to work there on and off in the banquets/restaurants from 2008-2015. Would've been easier to knock it down and rebuild from scratch. Pacific Inn is a dump.

officedweller
Oct 12, 2018, 7:22 AM

From Lark Group October 9th:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpGXpftVsAA7s2E.jpg
https://twitter.com/larkgroup1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpGXr1lVsAEmPcG.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpGXqPrV4AEvgcS.jpg

Lev
Oct 14, 2018, 1:15 AM
Anyone has any info on the new project in front of Ultra, One Central by Aoyuan?

Does Aoyuan have any track record, or do they have anything that is actually under construction in lower mainland? I am considering it but might be kind of risky if they do not have any track record in Canada.....

Thanks

Cypherus
Oct 14, 2018, 4:26 PM
Anyone has any info on the new project in front of Ultra, One Central by Aoyuan?

Does Aoyuan have any track record, or do they have anything that is actually under construction in lower mainland? I am considering it but might be kind of risky if they do not have any track record in Canada.....

Thanks

It's West Village 5 and appears to be a joint venture between Aoyuan and Weststone. It was originally proposed to be a rental only tower but due to changing market conditions favoring market sales of condo units, the proposal was amended and resubmitted to the city.

https://urbansurrey.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/xihnq5w.jpg?w=863
Source: https://urbansurrey.com/tag/west-village-5/

Shift
Oct 14, 2018, 7:40 PM

Thanks

It's at the Servicing Agreement stage of the approvals process.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Development-Inquiry/?year=18&seq=0244

You can register now:

https://onecentral.ca

http://aoyuaninternational.com/project-one-central.php

I noticed Aoyuan has a sign up for a project at Brentwood too.

Blease
Oct 14, 2018, 8:17 PM
What’s the likelihood that the change from rental to market condos will be approved?

Cypherus
Oct 15, 2018, 10:14 PM
It's at the Servicing Agreement stage of the approvals process.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Development-Inquiry/?year=18&seq=0244

You can register now:

https://onecentral.ca

http://aoyuaninternational.com/project-one-central.php

I noticed Aoyuan has a sign up for a project at Brentwood too.

Thank you for the information, Shift. Thank God this one wasn't called "Park Central" or something similar that a marketing team on a Friday afternoon would craft.

Westbased
Oct 19, 2018, 11:55 PM
JKA has this rendering for a block large development on the north east corner of king george and 108 Ave. Not too sure if it has any merit or if anyone knows anything further?

6 Tower Mixed-Use

https://www.jka.cc/projects/mixed-use-high-rise/surrey-signature/?portfolioCats=8

Shift
Oct 20, 2018, 12:12 AM
^That is an SCDC owned site. Yes they are working on something but that mock-up is very conceptual and I believe dated - posted a couple years ago.

Westbased
Oct 20, 2018, 12:36 AM
^That is an SCDC owned site. Yes they are working on something but that mock-up is very conceptual and I believe dated - posted a couple years ago.

Very interesting, thanks for the info Shift!

EhJay
Oct 20, 2018, 2:35 PM
That would be a cool building to see across the river / coming up KG into Central City

Flynn86
Oct 20, 2018, 5:09 PM
What is the likelihood they build it?

Nites
Oct 21, 2018, 5:29 AM
On the eve of Doug McCallums victory we should re-up the 80 story tower in Surrey thread if anyone can find it.

CoryHolmes
Oct 21, 2018, 4:28 PM
On the eve of Doug McCallums victory we should re-up the 80 story tower in Surrey thread if anyone can find it.

I still remember that one! It was by Berazen and would occupy the site now held by the Hub.

Westbased
Oct 21, 2018, 7:05 PM
I can't recall Doug's exact wording, but I believe he was set on dismantling SCDC...if that's I'm guessing all the sites they hold would be sold off to the highest bidder?

ArmoredinRed
Oct 22, 2018, 6:11 PM
Does anyone know what is happening in the Parking lot area of Home Depot in North Surrey? Condos?

Thanks!