PDA

View Full Version : Surrey/South Fraser Updates

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

officedweller
Oct 7, 2009, 7:04 PM
From 1130:

Surrey will be home of Metro Vancouver's new jail
180-cell facility to be completed by 2013

Connie Thiessen SURREY (NEWS1130) |
Wednesday, October 7th, 2009 10:42 am

SURREY (NEWS1130) - Surrey will be the home of Metro Vancouver's new jail. The facility was originally slated for Burnaby, but public outcry last spring forced the government to put the jail elsewhere and Surrey has now been chosen.

Solicitor General Kash Heed says Surrey is the best location for the 180-cell facility, which will be built adjacent to the existing pretrial centre, and connected by a tunnel to the local RCMP detachment and courthouse.

Construction of the new facility is expected to be completed by 2013.

and CKNW:

Surrey gets new Metro Vancouver jail

METRO VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980)
Dan Burritt | Email news tips to Dan
10/7/2009

CKNW news has confirmed Surrey has been chosen to house Metro Vancouver's new remand centre.

The new jail is expected to be an addition to Surrey's existing pre-trial centre.

Both that centre and Coquitlam's North Fraser pre-trial facility are overcrowded and the new jail is expected to relieve that.

Delta, Surrey and Vancouver had bid to get the jail. Solicitor General Kash Heed met with officials from the three cities last week and has said a decision would be made soon.

The province had to go back to the drawing board after plans to build the jail in Burnaby fell through earlier this year.

The new jail is expected to provide up to 200 jobs.

SpongeG
Oct 7, 2009, 7:24 PM
yah just saw it on the news - they said the "old" city hall site in surrey

officedweller
Oct 7, 2009, 7:26 PM
Makes sense, the courthouse is right next door.

SpongeG
Oct 7, 2009, 7:56 PM
yesh but why did the news say "the old" has city hall moved already?

mezzanine
Oct 7, 2009, 7:56 PM
^^WRT bear creek park, i was just thinking about that = the SFPR should be able take a lot of load off 88th. If anything, a lot of truck traffic in surrey goes thru city streets b/c of a lack of east/west routes. 152 has improved a lot since 176th was upgraded.

WRT the pretrial centre - this is interesting news in that i'm sure there will be a political dividend for dianne watts and surrey from the province. more transit? a skytrain/LRT expansion? support for developing downtown surrey?

And corrigan has been more ass-like of late. he has slammed the provincial govt for delaying dredging of bby lake for a rowing centre in spite of dredging in the fall harming native turtles (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/09/22/bc-burnaby-lake-turtles.html), and he has gone on record supporting the 'drastic cuts' option for funding for translink (http://www.straight.com/article-260401/transit-gambit-condemned). if routes had to be cut, he bravely volunteered surey and south of fraser communities for the cuts. http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/62426372.html

karma, dave, karma.

metroXpress
Oct 8, 2009, 12:49 AM
yah just saw it on the news - they said the "old" city hall site in surrey

that's a perfect location...

another article from CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/07/15/bc-090715-north-fraser-pre-trial-centre.jpg
The B.C. government says the North Fraser pretrial centre in Port Coquitlam is overcrowded and a new jail closer to courthouses in Metro Vancouver is needed. (CBC)

Metro Vancouver's new remand centre will be built next to Surrey City Hall near the intersection of King George Highway and Highway 10, the provincial government announced on Wednesday morning.

The new 180-cell corrections facility will be connected by tunnel to both the adjacent provincial courthouse and the police station, which also share the the Municipal Centre site with an existing Remand Centre, said Solicitor General Kash Heed.

The Surrey location was selected by the government from a list of four possible sites identified by a committee of Metro Vancouver mayors, after Burnaby Mayor Derek Corrigan objected to a provincial proposal to build the new facility on the site of the former youth detention centre in Willingdon.

"I want to thank the Metro Vancouver mayors, especially [Surrey] Mayor Dianne Watts and her council, who came forward and volunteered locations in their communities, demonstrating their understanding of the necessity of getting gangsters and other dangerous criminals off our streets and behind bars," said Heed.

Construction of the new facility is expected to be completed by 2013 as part of a $185-million province-wide upgrade of correction facilities. The new remand facility will be used to hold people awaiting trial at courts in the Lower Mainland area.

The government has said the North Fraser pre-trial centre in Port Coquitlam is overcrowded and a new jail closer to courthouses in Metro Vancouver is needed.

Heed said the province plans to increase provincial prison capacity by 304 new cells, or a 19 per cent increase in order to house the increasing number of inmates brought in by a police crack down on organized crime.

There are some comments there that I suggest you take a brief look~:slob:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/10/07/bc-new-pretrial-remand-centre-surrey-jail.html#socialcomments-submit

madmax1963 wrote:Posted 2009/10/07
at 7:37 PM ETIOC_Facist wrote:
Posted 2009/10/07
at 6:28 PM ETWe're dumping alot of our problems on Surrey. :/

The City of Surrey put in a bid along with other districts to have this built in their area.

DuncanF wrote:Posted 2009/10/07
at 7:30 PM ETI think this location is apropriate as most of the people in this jail will be from Surrey anyway.

metroXpress
Oct 8, 2009, 12:51 AM
Surrey city council wrestles again with idea of extending 84th Avenue
Ted Colley, Surrey Now
Published: Thursday, September 16, 2009

SURREY - Surrey city council is once again set to wrestle with the idea of pushing 84th Avenue through the south end of Bear Creek Park to relieve traffic at 88th and King George Highway.

Council has been there before. The proposal was put to them in 2000 and again in 2007 and both times failed in the face of vocal public opposition. This time, however, could be different. Veteran Coun. Barbara Steele is studying staff reports, trying to make up her mind.

"I haven't supported it in the past. I'm still going over the plan, but I'm almost convinced it's time to change my vote." The intersection at 88th Avenue and King George Highway, Steele said, is near the top of the list of B.C.'s most dangerous. Extending 84th Avenue through to 140th Street, she thinks, would help alleviate the problem by drawing traffic away.

Coun. Marvin Hunt agreed. "We just have to get some traffic out of there. We have a huge bottleneck at 88th," Hunt said. He pointed out, as did Steele, that the road alignment for 84th runs along the southern boundary of the park, not through the park itself, and most of it is on the hydro right of way so fewer trees will be lost.

"You're not going to ruin the park," Hunt added. "It's already surrounded by roads so that argument doesn't hold water. It's time to get on with it." Mayor Dianne Watts is against the move. She favours fixing the intersection to the north by "reconfiguring" it. Suggested changes to the 88th and King George crossroads include installing a roundabout or building a grade-separated interchange there.

Staff rejected both as being too expensive and impractical, but Watts isn't convinced. "There's not enough money to do this, a roundabout for example , but all you're going to do is create another potentially dangerous intersection at 84th."

Council will vote on the question at its Oct. 6 meeting.

tcolley@thenownewspaper.com

http://www2.canada.com/surreynow/news/story.html?id=e32bfe12-1ed7-4a64-83bf-5d898b1f9fc8

Whalleyboy
Oct 8, 2009, 4:15 AM
umm thats old? why you posting it?

PROSTSHOCKER
Oct 8, 2009, 5:31 AM
Excuse me but I'm BLOWN AWAY by the huge controversy of expanding 84th across to the other side of the "park"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/thesilverboy/WATWHYWOULDYOUEVEN.jpg

Notice how this beeeeeeauuuutiful section of the park has been cleared to allow the most pristine of all modern wonders, high tension powerlines, to run overhead and how the poor park will be split between the recreational and forested areas of the north and the beautifully skewed southern half with the oh so scenic residential sprawl taking up 2/3rds of the "other half of the park". But I mean, god forbid we build a bridge over a stream that has been bridged off everywhere else within view. It's not like it's a virgin part of nature we are talking about here.

But we can always extend 80th, right? RIGHT?

vanman
Oct 8, 2009, 2:35 PM
It may not be that huge of a deal if the connector was built but it would set a bad precedent.

GMasterAres
Oct 8, 2009, 4:54 PM
Excellent news. It sucks that 84th has such potential for a major through-road. It is amazing that there isn't a major road for 16 blocks (Surrey-sized) south of 88th! No wonder it is so busy. The next best option involves a massive expropriation to extend 80th ave, but that would cost tens of millions.

It also would be quite pointless since it terminates at 140th street. You'd have to widen 80th to 140th, widen 140th between 72nd and 88th (well the rest of the way), and alter the intersection at 84th to get any good flow.

It's quite frankly stupid and I don't quite understand what the hubub was about with the 'Save Bear Creek Park' since 84th extension wouldn't have done anything but made that area more accessible. Oh well.

Other option would be to widen 88th to 3 lanes.

GMasterAres
Oct 8, 2009, 4:59 PM
It may not be that huge of a deal if the connector was built but it would set a bad precedent.

A bad precedent for what? That section isn't technically part of the park actually. The only precedent it would set would be council not going with the opinions of residents in that area. I don't disagree with council's decision because they did what politicians do, side with those voting for them. But at the same time, I think the people against the 84th extension should wake up to the realities that they live less than 10 blocks away from the second downtown of the Lower Mainland under construction.

They can expect there will be some need for expansion, upgrades, infrastructure, and population growth in the area. And given what Holland Park looks like now after the 'upgrades', I think that part of Bear Creek could have been made to look absoultely amazing in the process of the road expansion. Right now, as the person said 2 above, it is just brown grass, power lines, and fences of houses. Nothing special.

Oh well. It will happen eventually. Council will instruct staff to look at alternatives, then they'll come back saying "We looked at alternatives and they will be 10 times the cost and 5 times more disruptive so we're making an executive decision and extending 84th".

I'd bet money on it. There's really no other alternative.

Whalleyboy
Oct 8, 2009, 8:58 PM
actually between 72 and 88th for the most part 140th is already wide enough to be 2 lanes. They'd just have to remove the on street parking. Theres also a couple bumped out for crossing but that could be fixed.
and as for the picture with 80th when it gets to the golf course it could easily just go around the water there thus not even touching it

hollywoodnorth
Oct 9, 2009, 12:22 AM
A bad precedent for what? That section isn't technically part of the park actually. The only precedent it would set would be council not going with the opinions of residents in that area. I don't disagree with council's decision because they did what politicians do, side with those voting for them. But at the same time, I think the people against the 84th extension should wake up to the realities that they live less than 10 blocks away from the second downtown of the Lower Mainland under construction.

They can expect there will be some need for expansion, upgrades, infrastructure, and population growth in the area. And given what Holland Park looks like now after the 'upgrades', I think that part of Bear Creek could have been made to look absoultely amazing in the process of the road expansion. Right now, as the person said 2 above, it is just brown grass, power lines, and fences of houses. Nothing special.

Oh well. It will happen eventually. Council will instruct staff to look at alternatives, then they'll come back saying "We looked at alternatives and they will be 10 times the cost and 5 times more disruptive so we're making an executive decision and extending 84th".

ya I agree it will happen maybe some of it raised as a viaduct so all the "wildlife" and "users of the park" can have access to the "awesome souther part of the park"

I mean jesus its a joke....that part of the Park is Powerline and Brown Grass wasteland.......put the road through and beatify the park on the southern end and BOOM ...10x better than b4......

metroXpress
Oct 9, 2009, 3:12 AM
umm thats old? why you posting it?

oops, grabbed the wrong article...
:yuck:

==============================
Anyways,

CENTRAL CITY EVOLUTION

OCT3,2009
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2503/3979533940_811b9bcfe4.jpg
JUNE18,2008
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/2678782922_ca604a30ed.jpg

Central City has a 2010 banner wrap, D’Corize is completed, the City Points towers rise behind the SkyTrain station, and the street trees are fuller. All in just over a year!

civicsurrey.com

REX
Oct 9, 2009, 3:55 AM
The reasons put forth by the "resistance" not to extend the road through the "park" are ridicuous. Bridges over creeks, how are wood pilings to support the road and concrete any different then fallen trees or the rocks that line these creeks? I bet these bridges could have even been built so they wouldn't need supports going into the creek at all. Such a weak excuse, and people complaining about trees being cut down, have they even seen the route the road is taking? Minimal trees are being cut down. I honestly think people had no idea what this proposal entailed, just heard the propaganda by the resistance that a road was going through the park and joined them. Do they not realise options 2 is to widen 88th which just happens to be on the other side of park? Watch them complain about trees being cut down on that side now. I live close to 84th and 140th so this is a sore topic for me, but I honestly hope something gets done because traffic does get horrific at certain times on 88th.

Metro-One
Oct 9, 2009, 4:04 AM
:previous: Thats funny, because before today all I heard was the propaganda on the radio, and I had a completely different image of what the park would look like in my mind. Now that I see where they are talking about, i am laughing! Just build bridges over the creeks themselves, done.

SpongeG
Oct 9, 2009, 6:01 AM
i think the people on 84th are nmore concerned of their street getting busy than their concern for teh park - the park was a nice excuse for them to use

vanman
Oct 9, 2009, 6:10 AM

I think paving parkland anywhere in Metro Van is setting a bad precedent. However the news made that area of the park out to be pristine wilderness, I should know better than to ever trust the news or think that it's unbiased.

cabotp
Oct 9, 2009, 6:44 AM
^ I agree once you've paved over one part of a park. There is the possibility of other parks being paved.

Like I said before I would actually leave the whole 88th 84th 80th etc corridors alone for now. And see what impact the SFPR has on them. I'd also ban truck traffic over a certain GVW from those streets as well. Force them onto the SFPR. My guess is the biggest problem with 88th/Nordel isn't the amount of traffic, but the kind of traffic. ie dump trucks and tractor trailers, which are slow to get going. Causing backups at lights because only so much traffic can get through.

CoryHolmes
Oct 9, 2009, 3:10 PM
Any idea about what's going on at Scott Road? They're ripping up a huge chunk of the middle median.

WaxItYourself
Oct 9, 2009, 11:42 PM
Any idea about what's going on at Scott Road? They're ripping up a huge chunk of the middle median.

Aren't they buildign the South Fraser Perimitter Road?

metroXpress
Oct 10, 2009, 1:09 AM
^I think that's it!

CoryHolmes
Oct 10, 2009, 3:36 PM
But the SFPR doesn't interface with Scott Road at all, AFAIK. The major interchange will be at Tannery Road and Old Yale, both of which connect to Scott.

SpongeG
Oct 10, 2009, 8:47 PM
maybe they are adding their trees and stuff like they have with other roads?

Whalleyboy
Oct 15, 2009, 11:48 PM
SURREY BEND REGIONAL PARK

Thursday, October 15th, 2009 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m

Anniedale Traditional School-Gymnasium

9744 176th Street, Surrey, BC

You are invited to a Public Open House to provide further input on the conceptual plans for Surrey Bend Regional Park. Surrey Bend is northeast of 104th Avenue and 176th Street.

The Parks, Recreation and Culture Department and Metro Vancouver Parks are hosting a Public Open House to provide residents with an opportunity to review background information and conceptual plans for the parkland. City of Surrey and Metro Vancouver staff will be on hand to receive community input on the concept plans for Surrey Bend and other issues related to the development of the management plan. This information will help refine the planning, design and management of the parkland.

i know it soon but is anyone planing on checking it out?

metroXpress
Oct 16, 2009, 4:07 AM
nope.

Whalleyboy
Oct 26, 2009, 6:53 AM
so out of boredom i was looking around.
decided to look at the SFU student residence which was suppose to be done by 2010
i noticed they change the year now on it to 2011

picture incase people don't know what it looks like
http://www.surrey.sfu.ca/news/images/residence1303.jpg

SFU Surrey to Get Student Residence

Simon Fraser University has signed an agreement with Surrey Campus Residences Corp. to build a new residence at 103 Avenue and Whalley Ring Road.The first stage is expected to be finished by the year 2011. Surrey Campus Residences Corp. will build and operate the residence according to SFU operating policies.

We’re looking forward to this addition to the campus. Students living in residence add to the vitality and diversity of the university community, says Executive Director Joanne Curry.

An artist's rendition of the new residence
Without a student residence, SFU Surrey has primarily focussed efforts on encouraging students from the South Fraser and Greater Vancouver regions to enroll at its new campus.

“The new residence will help us recruit students from outside the Vancouver area, such as other parts of B.C. and Canada, and will also offer local students the opportunity to live away from home while attending the Surrey campus,” says Curry.

The agreement between SFU and Surrey Campus Residences Corp. is the first of its kind for the University. Several other universities have similar residence arrangements.

hollywoodnorth
Oct 26, 2009, 7:42 AM
have they even started site prep?

Whalleyboy
Oct 26, 2009, 8:06 AM
not that i have seen
probably wont for a while
after all it 2011 now not 2010

SpongeG
Oct 26, 2009, 10:35 AM
where about is it - i can't visualize it - is it sort of behind where the brick used to be but a block south?

CoryHolmes
Oct 26, 2009, 1:34 PM
where about is it - i can't visualize it - is it sort of behind where the brick used to be but a block south?

Go to the Library/Senior Centre on City Parkway, then go directly behind them onto the far side of West Whalley Road. That's where they'll be.

metroXpress
Oct 29, 2009, 5:36 PM
I don't think this has been posted before:

EXCLUSIVE: Sneak peek at possible Fraser Downs expansion [pics]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3451/3981359269_67b4bae6ce.jpg
Civic Surrey has come across exclusive renderings of an un-named Casino Resort Complex by Chris Diakeakos Architects.

The rendering above is unmistakably the Cloverdale Fairgrounds. You may also recognize a piece of architecture – a building entrance that looks strikingly like that on the new Cloverdale Rec Centre, currently under construction.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2670/3982117562_40ea6398c1.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3592/3362173344_7927811a6f.jpg
The renderings also fit with the City’s long term plans for the Fairgrounds, which envisioned a casino/hotel/conference complex, among other things.

There’s a few pieces that don’t quite fit though. For example, this rendering includes the Rec Centre at 60 Ave and 176 St – a building now going up at 62 Ave instead.

Also, there’s no indications of how this fits with the recently upgraded Fraser Downs casino. Would the new entrance be reclad again in wood, as this rendering shows?

So the question is, when was the rendering completed, for whom, and is it a serious proposal?

If we receive any information, it will be posted.

civicsurrey.com

SpongeG
Oct 29, 2009, 10:07 PM
wow impressive - a hotel would be nice there

Whalleyboy
Oct 30, 2009, 11:34 PM
okay so i just notice holland park is listed on the main olympic site as a celebration site
http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-spectator-guide/celebrations-and-ceremonies/celebration-sites/
and now for the part i'm sure people will love
PICTURES!
i came across this its the mega tent
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/megatent1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/megatent2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/megatent3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/megatent4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/megatent5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/megatent6.jpg
pictures are from my photobucket

also when i'm less tired out i'll post some pictures for surrey Nature Centre

metroXpress
Oct 31, 2009, 1:50 PM
^ I think I might be working at this one.....now it looks great!!!

mr.A
Oct 31, 2009, 11:01 PM
I knew about the tent but did not see it. thanks for the info.
here is the other side of surrey central
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2631/4062379230_cc031f9387.jpg

Whalleyboy
Nov 1, 2009, 12:33 AM
wow i didnt even know they where doing something on the other side

josiebug
Nov 2, 2009, 4:37 PM
http://www.surrey.ca/Living+in+Surrey/Parks+and+Recreation/Park+Planning+and+Development/Public+Meetings/WildPlay+at+Redwood+Park.htm

Open House for WildPlay Park in Redwood Park

http://www.surrey.ca/Living+in+Surrey/Parks+and+Recreation/Park+Planning+and+Development/Public+Meetings/34th+Ave+and+148th+St.htm

Open House for a new park and pedestrian overpass over hwy 99

metroXpress
Nov 2, 2009, 6:11 PM
wow i didnt even know they where doing something on the other side

Same here! wow :haha:

Whalleyboy
Nov 3, 2009, 7:16 AM
okay so as a i said the other day when i am less lazy i'd post pics of Nature Centre concepts
here we go
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre05.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre07.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre08.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre09.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre10.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre12.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre13.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre14.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre15.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre16.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre17.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre18.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre19.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre20.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre21.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre22.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre23.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre24.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre25.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre26.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre27.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre28.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre29.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre30.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre31.jpg
photos all from my photobucket

geoff's two cents
Nov 3, 2009, 8:54 AM
Whalleyboy, thanks for posting. I must say I'm impressed. My one quibble would be with how closed off this park is to Fraser Hwy. Would it be possible, I wonder, to have another entrance there?

Whalleyboy
Nov 3, 2009, 9:05 AM
its actually not that closed of since there is the new timber ways road being built
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/naturecentre32.jpg

and i think since fraser hwy is gonna be 4 lane road it would really take the nature and safety feel of this park away

metroXpress
Nov 4, 2009, 1:35 AM
WOW, impressive project indeed. Only a concept at the moment though.
I doubt that people would be happy with the new road and the idea of a whole new "nature centre". They would rather keep it as a forest reserve.

WaxItYourself
Nov 4, 2009, 4:21 AM
WOW, impressive project indeed. Only a concept at the moment though.
I doubt that people would be happy with the new road and the idea of a whole new "nature centre". They would rather keep it as a forest reserve.

yeah when i first saw this I was wondering why on Earth they would put that there right in the middle of the protected forest area. Where will all the animals go? There are bear and deer and cougars and a whole mess of other types of animals that would have to either be moved out or relocated to a much smaller section.

Whalleyboy
Nov 4, 2009, 4:32 AM
beers and cougars=s
and the area is already there and cleared out for the most part and the nature centre is already moved there its just nothing nice like this

WaxItYourself
Nov 4, 2009, 4:41 AM
beers and cougars=s
and the area is already there and cleared out for the most part and the nature centre is already moved there its just nothing nice like this

yeah i just looked on google earth and just noticed that it was cleared out. But yes there are bears and cougars in there. ME and my roommate were going to the park a few years back to go to the lake and they weren't allowing visitors in because a cougar had recently been seen.

Whalleyboy
Nov 4, 2009, 4:44 AM
there not a regular animal that is found there
it wouldnt be safe to leave those kinda of animals in a urban environment

WaxItYourself
Nov 4, 2009, 4:51 AM
there not a regular animal that is found there
it wouldnt be safe to leave those kinda of animals in a urban environment

You're probably right. After looking it up it does not say that coyotes or bears are in the park. However it does say that coyotes and raccoons and squirrels and rabits and a host of other animals inhabit the park.

Whalleyboy
Nov 4, 2009, 4:54 AM
yeah those ones are the type that can survive in that area
and like you said you can see most of the area is already cleared up where it is going. So its not like its gonna damage green timbers

metroXpress
Nov 4, 2009, 5:11 AM
yeah those ones are the type that can survive in that area
and like you said you can see most of the area is already cleared up where it is going. So its not like its gonna damage green timbers

Good, cause I don't want to see signs like "No Nature Centre!!" like what they did for "No 84th!!"

SpongeG
Nov 4, 2009, 5:12 AM
its right next to the new out patient hospital though and its not the wildest part of the park - the RCMP thing is a go too - so it will be nice fo that corner

officedweller
Nov 6, 2009, 5:09 AM
Saw an article in the newspaper that said that JP Morgan Chase will be closing its call centre in Surrey Central Tower by the end of next year.

Whalleyboy
Nov 6, 2009, 11:34 PM
Redwood zip lines on agenda

By Tracy Holmes - Peace Arch News

Published: November 06, 2009 2:00 PM
Updated: November 06, 2009 2:56 PM

0 Comments

The City of Surrey will host an open house Tuesday (Nov. 10) to share details of a proposal for an adventure park at Redwood Park.

The WildPlay concept includes a series of tree-to-tree obstacle courses for the South Surrey site, such as zip lines, suspension bridges and scramble nets.

Parks staff and the Nanaimo firm asked the city's heritage commission in June to consider allowing five hectares of the park's forested area to be used for the WildPlay Element Park.

The area sought would not be within the historical Brown Brothers homestead, and would not impact any heritage trees or existing trails, officials say.

The 32-hectare Redwood Park, at 20 Avenue and 180 Street, was a 21st birthday gift to deaf brothers David and Peter Brown. In about 1893, they began collecting tree seeds from around the world and planting them in the park. Today, the site boasts 32 species of trees from Russia, Austria, Japan, France, Italy and California.

The siblings also built a two-storey treehouse, and later donated the park to the City of Surrey.

Tuesday's open house, from 6-8 p.m. in the gym at Hall's Prairie Elementary (18035 8 Ave.), is "an opportunity to review accurate background information and a conceptual plan," states a notice on the city's website. A presentation is planned for 6:15 p.m.

Staff will also be on hand to receive input. For more information, call 604-501-5050.
http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_area/surreyleader/news/69411497.html

Nites
Nov 7, 2009, 6:35 AM
Excuse me but I'm BLOWN AWAY by the huge controversy of expanding 84th across to the other side of the "park"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/thesilverboy/WATWHYWOULDYOUEVEN.jpg

Notice how this beeeeeeauuuutiful section of the park has been cleared to allow the most pristine of all modern wonders, high tension powerlines, to run overhead and how the poor park will be split between the recreational and forested areas of the north and the beautifully skewed southern half with the oh so scenic residential sprawl taking up 2/3rds of the "other half of the park". But I mean, god forbid we build a bridge over a stream that has been bridged off everywhere else within view. It's not like it's a virgin part of nature we are talking about here.

But we can always extend 80th, right? RIGHT?

I live on 84th and 133A Street and we signed a petition to disable the project and it was approved. So they are no longer doing this.

Nites
Nov 7, 2009, 6:52 AM

This road would put a huge dent into our rising property values.

GeeCee
Nov 7, 2009, 7:57 AM
I live on 84th and 133A Street and we signed a petition to disable the project and it was approved. So they are no longer doing this.

Ah, ain't NIMBYism grand? The public good is more important than your property value..

cornholio
Nov 9, 2009, 12:21 AM

That is beyond sad. :???:

See I throw my garbage on the sidewalk, because it is convenient, i cut people of in traffic because it saves me time, and time is money, money, money, im the center of the universe. Bla bla bla, the world revolves around me me ME :righton:

SpongeG
Nov 9, 2009, 1:05 AM
the road is already there for the most part its just being extended - right now it just goes into some parking lot and service building

GMasterAres
Nov 9, 2009, 7:41 PM

Sure the same way I heard for years that widening 140th street, building a Mosque, developing Brookside, building a gas station on the corner of 88th and KGH, redeveloping Newton, would reduce everyone's property value. I grew up in that area listening to people like you and not one had their property actually go down.

Extending 84th would not reduce property values and if you think so, then you don't understand how property is actually valued on this planet. There is a common myth that road traffic = reduced property values. Do a little test though, pop up the property values for houses along 140th street before it was widened to 2 lanes and after. You'll fine property values have gone up considerably. Also do a little property value check for houses next to Fraser Highway as it has been widened. You'll find their values have gone up too quite a bit and Fraser Highway is MUCH more busy that 84th ever would be.

That's the problem when you believe in myth and magic.

go_leafs_go02
Nov 9, 2009, 11:40 PM
Nothing better than good old NIMBYs.

Don't like it? Move!

djmk
Nov 10, 2009, 12:25 AM
Extending 84th would not reduce property values and if you think so, then you don't understand how property is actually valued on this planet. There is a common myth that road traffic = reduced property values.

???

if anyone has a choice between living on a busy street and not, the busy street will lose. the market should reflect this. I dare you do to the same test for 1st Ave in Vancouver

Whalleyboy
Nov 16, 2009, 10:42 PM
well its official now new bus shelters on there way
http://www.surrey.ca/NR/exeres/9AC71F26-93DC-4B06-9B61-266DCB5BEE35,frameless.htm?NRMODE=Published

http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/9AC71F26-93DC-4B06-9B61-266DCB5BEE35/51481/STANDARD_SHELTER_NOV112.jpg
SURREY - The City of Surrey announces the installation of new Transit Shelters, as part of an overall Coordinated Street Furniture program.

Canada's largest outdoor media company, Pattison Outdoor, has been awarded a contract to design and supply Surrey with branded transit shelters under a shared revenue agreement. Pattison will invest $10 million in new shelters and manage them for 20 years.

The design is coordinated, modern and elegant, including transit shelters, benches, litter receptacles and bike racks. Exclusive to Surrey, the design incorporates the new City identity and branding including the signature line “The Future Lives Here!"

As a growing city, the City of Surrey is committed to improving public amenities and streetscape beautification,” states City of Surrey General Manager of Engineering, Vincent Lalonde. The new Surrey transit shelters are larger with built-in benches protected from weather on three sides. Sustainable technologies include energy efficient lighting, recycled plastic materials and graffiti-resistant coatings.

The Street Furniture will accommodate people with physical disabilities or impairment, as well as children and the elderly based on TransLink's Universally Accessible Bus Stop Design Guidelines. Removal of existing shelters and preparation for new shelters is well underway with installation of the new shelters occurring over the next three months.

Through this upgrading of shelters and enhancement of the street network for transit use, Surrey is positioning itself to fully benefit from the planned transit expansion by TransLink and help make transit a better choice.

CoryHolmes
Nov 17, 2009, 7:06 PM
Hmm. They look suspiciously like the previous bus shelters... :shrug:

Whalleyboy
Nov 20, 2009, 4:22 AM
road names are going to be changed
Surrey council voted Monday to change several names of local streets, including a major north-south arterial.

King George will now be a boulevard, rather than a highway to better reflect the greened meridian for most of the road.

East Whalley Ring Road will be Whalley Drive and West Whalley Ring Road will be University Drive.

Within City Centre, 135 Street will be known as City Parkway.

The recommendations come from the city's transportation committee and will take effect Jan. 31, 2010.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_area/surreyleader/news/70524377.html

98fb
Nov 20, 2009, 5:17 AM
^^Nice

officedweller
Nov 20, 2009, 7:48 AM
Nice - like that East Whalley Ring Road goes to "Whalley Drive" and not "East Whalley Drive" as originally proposed. No need for the "East".

CoryHolmes
Nov 20, 2009, 4:39 PM
I'm glad they're seperating the Ring Roads from each other. Fewer syllables the better. I also like the renaming of KGH, since "highway" makes it seem like Surrey is just a conduit to some other urban/civilized place. We don't want to feel like Langley anymore :whip:

GMasterAres
Nov 25, 2009, 8:12 PM
???

if anyone has a choice between living on a busy street and not, the busy street will lose. the market should reflect this. I dare you do to the same test for 1st Ave in Vancouver

Yes because living on E1st avenue will make your house worth way less than say 4th or 7th...

E1st Avenue @ ~Renfrew, approx. $340 per square foot
E4th Avenue @ ~Renfrew, approx. $352 per square foot
E7th Avenue @ ~Renfrew, approx. $346 per square foot

Best I could do going through some properties up for sale right now. Don't have the time to actually pull up assessed values. So with the above using 1000 square foot and 2000 we get:

1st @ 1000 = 340,000 \ @ 2000 = 680,000
4th @ 1000 = 352,000 \ @ 2000 = 708,000
7th @ 1000 = 346,000 \ @ 2000 = 692,000

Keep in mind a few of the 4th ave places were right next to a park. The 1st avenue places are all just that, on 1st avenue. No park, no nothing. So you'd expect just knowing that, that the prices would be less. So is the price difference the busy street? Or the park? And my point against Mr. 84th Avenue is that he and people I listen to constantly complain that widening the road will MAKE A MAJOR HUGE MASSIVE MONSTER DENT OF DOOM in their property values. Since you missed the quote evidently I was debating against:

If that were the case, in the above we should see:

1st Avenue @ 2000 square feet, $350,000
4th Avenue @ 2000 square feet, $750,000

That's the sky is falling attitude people used to block 84th Avenue. The truth is, would it decrease values? No. It wouldn't. Anyone with half a brain would know that. The question is, would their values increase SLOWER than if there was no road? The answer to that would be... doubtful. Why doubtful? Because roads in general don't have as much of an impact than people seem to think but you can't say yes or no with certainty because there are "so many other factors" that create a final property value. Someone can say the road would put a huge dent in property values just as much as I can say flying to the moon would take money away from curing cancer.

I enjoy living on a busy street. Why? Easier to get around, easier to get to a bus, usually you're closer to ammenities, etc. If I had 5 kids that wanted to play street hockey, then I'd probably not want to live on a busy street. Has nothing to do with price, but has to do with life style. So when people argue against progress saying it is because of an impact on their property values like it's some bullet proof response of principle and social morality, I cringe because the truth is they are just NIMBYing it up. I applaud someone that stands up and says "I just don't want my neighborhood to change." because that person is being honest.

Mr. 84th Avenue is being dishonest was my point. And anyone that says a busy street affects housing prices hugely is making an idiotic statement quite frankly. There are SO many factors that affect housing prices that you can't pin everything on the road. Heck there are houses on River Road which is travelled by huge big rigs all day long in Surrey and Delta that are worth a pile more than houses in the same neighborhood on quiet streets a few blocks away. So if I just looked at them I'd have to conclude big noisy polluted congested roadways = higher housing prices.

But I don't why? Because I know roads aren't the only factor. I want more people in this world that just say "I grew up in this neighborhood and want it to stay the way it is!" rather than make things up. It would still be an idiotic statement in my opinion but at least it would be an honest one I can actually respect.

Case and point, my place is assessed at $300,000 roughly. It is located on Fraser Highway next to a busy mall. Both the main street (Fraser Highway) and cross street would be classified as 'busy'. Now when I look at properties in my neighborhood on quieter streets like say 159th Street, or even 83rd Avenue, for the same size, they are assessed roughly the same. I looked at a townhouse on 159th that is 1700 square feet, it's assessed at $336,000 approx. If I take my square footage and assessed value and inflate it to 1700 square feet, I get to around $328,000. So being on 2 massively busy streets across from a busy mall, has apparently decreased my value by $8000. That's pretty major </sarcasm> and clearly the only factor </sarcasm>.

Anyway this debate could go on until we're blue in the face, the truth is I'm not the one that needs proof for my statements above even though I've provided it. The people arguing against 84th Avenue are the ones that need the proof and sadly they have none. NIMBYs never have any proof. That's the problem.

mr.A
Dec 1, 2009, 5:02 AM
I walked by the fence and saw a rezoning application.
7908-0312-00
13778-100Avenue
King George Development
one 46 storey and one 20 storey apartment building
total 551 units
December 24 2008
project review.
does anybody know more about this?

Whalleyboy
Dec 1, 2009, 5:17 AM
7908-0312-00
13778-100Avenue
King George Development
total 551 units
December 24 2008
project review.

I knew of this development but it has changed from what i knew
I might have put up a concept picture of the original tower planed a while back

SpongeG
Dec 1, 2009, 5:36 AM
46 stories - would that be the tallest in surrey?

Whalleyboy
Dec 1, 2009, 6:20 AM
yes, yes it would

one of these days i'm gonna get out for a walk and go around a take pictures of all the green boards in the city centre and see whats whats

SpongeG
Dec 1, 2009, 7:16 AM
for comparison how tall is the one kitty corner from best buy? central city is about 28 floors?

surrey1
Dec 1, 2009, 11:07 AM
theres also a proposal sign beside the tax center..the corner lot on king george thats currently empty...im hoping its an expansion....

officedweller
Dec 1, 2009, 7:52 PM
7908-0312-00
13778-100Avenue
King George Development
total 551 units
December 24 2008
project review.

Is that a neighbour for Sky Towers or a replacement for Sky Towers?
(Can't recall when SkyTowers when belly up)
King George Development built the existing condo tower and lowrise that is just south of that site (the one where the murders happened a few years ago) called The Balmoral and previously owned the Infinity site as well.

nickinacan
Dec 1, 2009, 9:04 PM
Is that a neighbour for Sky Towers or a replacement for Sky Towers?
(Can't recall when SkyTowers when belly up)
King George Development built the existing condo tower and lowrise that is just south of that site (the one where the murders happened a few years ago) called The Balmoral and previously owned the Infinity site as well.

This development is the neighbouring development to the Sky Towers site. I think it was proposed last year, but it is good to see that it is being pushed along by the developer.

Whalleyboy
Dec 8, 2009, 5:22 AM
so i came across this today
http://metrosurrey.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/bpw-pioneeropenhouseboards.pdf (may want to save file as)
its pdf about the pioneer over pass on hwy 99 with some concepts in it
to lazy to post pictures from it

BCPhil
Dec 8, 2009, 9:20 AM
so i came across this today
http://metrosurrey.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/bpw-pioneeropenhouseboards.pdf (may want to save file as)
its pdf about the pioneer over pass on hwy 99 with some concepts in it
to lazy to post pictures from it

What's the point of that? It goes between one sparse neighborhood and another. I don't think there are any schools or parks in the area.

How about first they add an exit at 24th so all the Grandview Corners traffic can get off 32nd and 160th thus improving road safety in the area for cyclists and pedestrians.

josiebug
Dec 8, 2009, 6:43 PM
What's the point of that? It goes between one sparse neighborhood and another. I don't think there are any schools or parks in the area.

How about first they add an exit at 24th so all the Grandview Corners traffic can get off 32nd and 160th thus improving road safety in the area for cyclists and pedestrians.

Because the City has no say over where or when off-ramps go on a Provincial highway.

The pedestrian/cycling bridge is an important connection between two growing neighbourhoods and is a major link in the city greenway network.

Whalleyboy
Dec 8, 2009, 11:56 PM
plus in the future plans is it will have a full path way from the peace arch border
http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/225EE051-B4F0-49D5-B989-5B2A20D873C0/50381/alrmapwithblowup2.pdf

Whalleyboy
Dec 15, 2009, 7:40 AM
celebration site layout at holland park
http://metrosurrey.wordpress.com/files/2009/12/celebration-lay-out-medium.jpg

sryboy
Dec 16, 2009, 11:46 PM
Im actually pretty excited about this! Looks like the city is going to put on a good show. I'm surprised they're not using the Surrey place mall upper level parking (across the street) or closing that whole section of Old Yale rd. down.

tybuilding
Dec 17, 2009, 1:08 AM
for comparison how tall is the one kitty corner from best buy? central city is about 28 floors?

35 floors

mr.A
Dec 22, 2009, 10:06 PM
CRANE—SURREY, BRITISH COLUMBIA
Until 30 May 2012, a crane will be erected in Surrey, British Columbia. The maximum height is 673 ft above ground level (AGL) or 673 ft above sea level (ASL). The structure will be painted and lighted.
The first crane will be located at the following coordinates:
49° 12’ 56“ N 122° 48’ 41“ W
From 1 February 2010 until 30 June 2012, a crane will be erected in Surrey, British Columbia. The maximum height is 673 ft above ground level (AGL) or 673 ft above sea level (ASL). The structure will be painted and lighted.
The second crane will be located at the following coordinates:
49° 13’ 10“ N 122° 48’ 47“ W

raggedy13
Dec 22, 2009, 10:13 PM
^Very strange. Is this some sort of weird, gigantic 2-year art installation or some round-about way of saying that a 600ft+ tower is being erected in Surrey over the next 2 years?

Do you have an online source for this information Mr.A?

raggedy13
Dec 22, 2009, 10:25 PM
Ok, after a little sleuthing, I see those coordinates correspond to the Port Mann Bridge so clearly those cranes will be for construction of the new bridge. Interesting.

mr.A
Dec 22, 2009, 11:06 PM
Do you have an online source for this information Mr.A?
Yes
Nav Can posted it for the pilots to be alerted

www.navcanada.ca/ContentDefinitionFiles/Publications/AeronauticalinfoProducts/AiP/Current/PDF/EN/part_4_AiP_sup/4aip_sup_eng.pdf

mr.A
Dec 23, 2009, 10:21 PM
found this "park place" on the P. Cotter architect site. where is it?
www.cotterarchitects.com/#/projects

hollywoodnorth
Dec 23, 2009, 10:33 PM
cool stuff!

officedweller
Dec 23, 2009, 10:56 PM
found this "park place" on the P. Cotter architect site. where is it?
www.cotterarchitects.com/#/projects

It's been posted before and I think it was described as within the Holland Park cluster of towers.

See info here:

http://www.civicsurrey.com/2009/04/17/update-on-the-holland-pointe-development/

Whalleyboy
Dec 24, 2009, 4:33 AM
So i dont know if anyone knows this yet but there is a new bus stop up at holland park
i like how the cities symbol lights up at night
oh and they look amazing. I am so use to looking at crappy ones it almost seems out of place how much nicer they are

CoryHolmes
Dec 24, 2009, 10:11 AM
So i dont know if anyone knows this yet but there is a new bus stop up at holland park
i like how the cities symbol lights up at night
oh and they look amazing. I am so use to looking at crappy ones it almost seems out of place how much nicer they are

Give it two months. Then the druggies, morons, and vandals will remind us exactly what was removed...

Whalleyboy
Dec 24, 2009, 9:06 PM
iunno i think they stand a better chance this time around. Plus there being looked after

mr.A
Dec 29, 2009, 11:23 PM
[Surrey] new District Education and Conference Centre
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2693/4226854120_c2e786e136_m.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/4226827090_c2122368ac.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2763/4226827106_97a576ce78.jpg

new outpatient hospital update

mr.A
Dec 29, 2009, 11:29 PM
[Surrey] new District Education and Conference Centre
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2693/4226854120_c2e786e136_m.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/4226827090_c2122368ac.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2763/4226827106_97a576ce78.jpg

new outpatient hospital update
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2790/4226827114_76946154dc.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2516/4226827120_63df8d250f.jpg

new Atira women's shelter
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2531/4226827126_5b6f9b2289.jpg
on 92Avenue near King George

officedweller
Dec 29, 2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the updates.

hollywoodnorth
Dec 29, 2009, 11:42 PM
thx as well :)

Whalleyboy
Dec 30, 2009, 12:32 AM
i can't wait to see them start doing the glass work on the District Education and Conference Centre

Metro-One
Dec 30, 2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks! Where is that first building located? (Please be Surrey City Centre)