PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Roads

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

DizzyEdge
Jul 16, 2009, 3:28 AM
Hey there's a few streets in Bowness by the tracks that had NEVER been paved until 10 yrs ago. Although Freeweed may be correct, as far as Bowness specifically these sorts of things have never seemed to take much priority, I mean there were actual farms in bowness just in the past 20 yrs.

Full Mountain
Jul 16, 2009, 6:14 PM
There is actually some sort of restriction by the community association about this stuff....My buddy's parent built a house in bowness and as a result of construction the sidewalk was cracked and they haven't been allowed to fix it...not sure what the reasoning is behind it but there seems to be a fair bit of opposition to improving the public infrastructure but not to building infill housing :shrug:

Medw
Jul 17, 2009, 3:15 AM
The way those roads were once explained to me is that they were that way when the town was annexed into the City. Until the local residents want to agree to pay for improvements, similar to the way paved alleys work, it won't get brought up to City standards.

There used to be a road like Bow crescent in Midnapore that only got properly paved in the mid 90's when some condos went in alongside it.

Ferreth
Jul 17, 2009, 3:30 AM
The way those roads were once explained to me is that they were that way when the town was annexed into the City. Until the local residents want to agree to pay for improvements, similar to the way paved alleys work, it won't get brought up to City standards.

There used to be a road like Bow crescent in Midnapore that only got properly paved in the mid 90's when some condos went in alongside it.

That rings a bell. In Albert Park, I remember their being gravel roads along a few side streets up into the 80's for the same reason. Checking Google maps, I see they have fixed them up. 12th and 13th Ave, 12th actually used to go through from 25th to 26th st in lovely gravel - quite the shock riding my bicycle down there to find myself on a gravel road with sidewalks :sly:

shreddog
Jul 17, 2009, 11:11 AM
Right in the heart of Mount Pleasant, 9th St NW between 23rd and 24th Ave is a very rutted gravel road.

The funny thing is that the backlane running parallel to 24th Ave off 9th St is actually in better shape than the road! :haha:

korzym
Jul 17, 2009, 5:30 PM
Right in the heart of Mount Pleasant, 9th St NW between 23rd and 24th Ave is a very rutted gravel road.

The funny thing is that the backlane running parallel to 24th Ave off 9th St is actually in better shape than the road! :haha:

backlanes are privately funded, which says something for roads in new developments IMO..

korzym
Jul 18, 2009, 6:30 AM
new highway in Poland. I think some things could be learned...I like the visual barrier fence on the middle divider which is especially prevalent in turns. With deerfoot being as windy as it is I think it could benefit from this.

Also this is a lesson to those that don't understand the concept of keeping right. See how easier traffic flows.

sbwTrtcq9uw

You Need A Thneed
Jul 27, 2009, 4:03 PM
A crew repaved Falconridge Blvd between McKnight and 64th Ave on Saturday. I think it's the worst repavng job I've ever seen. Just terrible work. Newly paved roads shouldn't have dips, patches and ruts, and the pavement should come neatly to the manholes.

I hope the city rejects the work, and makes the contractor do it all again, at the contractor's expense.

mooky
Jul 27, 2009, 4:41 PM
A crew repaved Falconridge Blvd between McKnight and 64th Ave on Saturday. I think it's the worst repavng job I've ever seen. Just terrible work. Newly paved roads shouldn't have dips, patches and ruts, and the pavement should come neatly to the manholes.

I hope the city rejects the work, and makes the contractor do it all again, at the contractor's expense.

I'd fire a quick email off to the city suggesting just that. If we don't complain as citizens, who knows what bureaucrat might just rubber stamp the job without really checking it out too critically.

You Need A Thneed
Jul 30, 2009, 10:27 PM
The tender is out for the construction of Country Hills Blvd between Rocky Ridge Road and Rocky Ridge Blvd. Closes mid august.

mersar
Jul 30, 2009, 10:29 PM
Good to hear. I was starting to wonder if we were actually going to see that one out this year or not.

freeweed
Jul 30, 2009, 11:25 PM
Obviously the city finally got the necessary land after years of waiting. This is an essential piece before Rocky Ridge Road closes.

Of course in the meantime the left turn from CHB into Royal Oak is officially ruined as they've turned the light into turning arrow or solid red - no solid green anymore, which is when most traffic used to make it through (very little comes westbound by comparison).

This will be necessary once it's a 2 lane turn, but that looks weeks away if not longer. Good to see they've changed the light timing prematurely - we now often wait for 3 or 4 cycles of the lights just to get home, even outside of rush hour.

Lovely planning, boys! :hell:

eggbert
Jul 30, 2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks for posting that Freeweed. I was wondering if anyone else was sitting at that light fuming like myself. Not only does the no yield on green suck for the turn, but the timing of the lights doesn't make any sense to me. The thru traffic for Royal Birch Blvd/85th Street gets a large amount of time, but there's really no traffic.

AB Born
Jul 31, 2009, 5:30 AM
I got a question... are the cameras on top of a lot of traffic lights actually being monitored? What are they used for exactly? I noticed they first started appearing at intersections in Tuscany (maybe 1.5-2 years ago)... and now they are at various intersections throughout the city. If there is an accident do the police review the video? If there is a high speed chase can someone at the city tap into the cameras to control the intersection? At the moment I can’t find a picture of one to show what I’m talking about...

freeweed
Jul 31, 2009, 12:33 PM
I know the cameras you're talking about, they're NOT speed/red light cameras. I see them everywhere.

From what I understand they're used for traffic monitoring - vehicle counts, flow, that sort of thing. I guess theoretically they can be used to time lights dynamically, if traffic patterns change a lot. Not sure if they ARE used that way though.

Oliver Klozov
Jul 31, 2009, 2:40 PM
Their main purpose is laser traffic sensors. Rather than using the looped wire sensors in the roadway to notify the controller that a vehicle is waiting at a red light, the laser sensors do that job. Looped wire sensors are dependent on the vehicle actually being over top of the sensor. Overly defensive drivers will often stop well short of the 'Stop Line' and therefore not activate the contoller. I've seen some people sitting at a red light and then when I come back by 10 minutes later and they're still sitting there with a stunned look on their face. :shrug:

mersar
Jul 31, 2009, 2:50 PM
Yep. Most places are moving to those now, they are also far more effective in winter from what I've heard, as supposedly if you get an inch or two of packed snow on the road it does impact the sensitivity of the older loop based systems. The biggest issue with them though is they need to be aimed, and the width of the sensor area tends to be pretty narrow. We had one in Cochrane (on a province maintained intersection) that you need to be almost in the right turn lane to trigger the left turn light due to the poor aiming, and AB Transportation took almost a year to get around to fixing, leading to lot of people sitting there for quite a while

freeweed
Jul 31, 2009, 3:22 PM
Huh, interesting. I bet they'd also work better than the induction loops for motorcycles, too - I've heard many a horror story about that situation not working well.

You Need A Thneed
Jul 31, 2009, 3:42 PM
Huh, interesting. I bet they'd also work better than the induction loops for motorcycles, too - I've heard many a horror story about that situation not working well.

The ground loops that I have to activate sometimes on my bike ride to work actually work when I'm just on my bike. Although I do have to position my front wheel exactly on the line, and then "jump" on it a little bit.

The city is definately behind on installing sensors in some place though. 36th Street/39th Ave and 36th street/44th Ave still have not been reinstalled since the LRT work started. They still go through the whole cycle even if there's no one waiting to go a certain way, and they never stay green long enough for the North to West turn at 39th Ave.

Oliver Klozov
Jul 31, 2009, 4:19 PM
The ground loops that I have to activate sometimes on my bike ride to work actually work when I'm just on my bike. Although I do have to position my front wheel exactly on the line, and then "jump" on it a little bit.

The jumping isn't exactly what does it. They are not impact activated. They are a loop of wire embedded in the asphalt. When a magnetic field passes over the loop it induces a current. That's why the diamond shape cut in the pavement is in the middle of the lane instead of where the wheels of a car would impact. Older versions are hard wired right back to the controller. Newer versions have a tiny transmitter that sends a signal to the controller.

freeweed
Jul 31, 2009, 5:00 PM
The jumping isn't exactly what does it. They are not impact activated. They are a loop of wire embedded in the asphalt. When a magnetic field passes over the loop it induces a current.

Even simpler than that. When any large metallic object passes over the loop, it affects the current already running through the loop. They're basically an enormous metal detector turned upside-down. Bicycles and motorcycles aren't always large enough to have a noticeable effect.

But yeah, a lot of people still think they're weight sensors.

More info here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_loop)

Stang
Jul 31, 2009, 6:56 PM
But yeah, a lot of people still think they're weight sensors.

Myself included... Well damn... You learn something new every day! :)

freeweed
Jul 31, 2009, 8:20 PM
Myself included... Well damn... You learn something new every day! :)

And this is why the Internet is so revolutionary. I'm a font of otherwise useless trivia, but when you combine what I know with what mersar knows with what you know (repeat ad nauseum), it's amazing how much we all learn.

You Need A Thneed
Jul 31, 2009, 10:04 PM
Weight activated or not, I'll keep on doing what works to activate the loop when I'm on my bike, and that's putting pressure on the line of the loop.

Cruzer
Aug 3, 2009, 9:01 PM

The city is definately behind on installing sensors in some place though. 36th Street/39th Ave and 36th street/44th Ave still have not been reinstalled since the LRT work started. They still go through the whole cycle even if there's no one waiting to go a certain way, and they never stay green long enough for the North to West turn at 39th Ave.

Shaganappi Trail @ Crowchild Trail... No comment :hell: :hell: :hell: :yuck: :yuck:

reflexzero
Aug 4, 2009, 3:32 PM

Saw that too. I chalk it up to the fact that we NorthEasters don't contribute enough tax money to qualify for any quality of life.

But at least we don't live on a flood plain.

kap384
Aug 5, 2009, 1:12 AM
Thanks for posting that Freeweed. I was wondering if anyone else was sitting at that light fuming like myself. Not only does the no yield on green suck for the turn, but the timing of the lights doesn't make any sense to me. The thru traffic for Royal Birch Blvd/85th Street gets a large amount of time, but there's really no traffic.

Complain to the city guys. I've never called the city before, by I did last week to fume about the early activation of the turn lane timing, the unsafe situation for all pedestrians through that mess, and the pathetic amount of times it's taking to finish the work there.:hell:

Ferreth
Aug 5, 2009, 2:26 AM
Complain to the city guys. I've never called the city before, by I did last week to fume about the early activation of the turn lane timing, the unsafe situation for all pedestrians through that mess, and the pathetic amount of times it's taking to finish the work there.:hell:

I agree - complain to the city. Among others, I complained about a crappy gravel parking lot grading job that pushed a ridge of gravel onto Ogden road - which I had to cycle through. The city had it fixed by next week. I haven't phoned the city a lot, but when I do, I have gotten reasonable results at least. Funny that most of my complaints resolve around cycling though - the city really has a blind spot to maintaining the sides of the road we tend to use.

Spring2008
Aug 5, 2009, 4:15 AM
Woops Nm

Ferreth
Aug 7, 2009, 2:28 AM
from Calgary Public Transit thread (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=4393498&postcount=8960):

In addition to funding uncertainty significant changes to the development of the NE quadrant are underway including determining the funding priority to complete Métis Trail North to Stoney Trail.
[...]
Please note the City has had to re-evaluate the growth of the NE quadrant and is now proceeding to include as part of this program the extension of Métis Trail from 64th Avenue through to 96th Avenue,

Okay, I'm confused. Does the city plan to have Metis trail connected to Stoney Trail any time soon after the opening of Stoney? To me, this a no-brainer in terms of funding priority.

mersar
Aug 7, 2009, 3:11 AM
From Country Hills to Stoney is essentially built (CHB to 128th Ave is already open), last time I was up there they only needed to pave from 128th to the Stoney interchange. South of CHB the road is built (not paved) south to around where 100th street is, between there and 80th has not been started yet, and between 80th and 64th needs to be fully twinned yet. So its possible they could open it with Stoney. I'm not sure whats done on the north side, specifically if they've built the road all the way to 144th, but I'm assuming not yet (if you don't know 144th in that area, its a 1 lane gravel road running beside the railway spur that goes to the Energy Centre). Eventually I believe the plan is Metis will run north all the way up to Highway 566 on the east side of Cross Iron Mills

Bigtime
Aug 12, 2009, 3:25 PM
Work has begun on utilities and roads for the 4th street underpass.

11th avenue is a gong show between 4th and 3rd street SE, and 3rd street is closed completely between 11th and 10th avenues. There is a notice posted in the arriVa lobby about the rolling lane and road closures until September 22nd.

Here is the link on the CMLC site to the work that is starting: http://www.calgarymlc.ca/_uploads/5eceb0b2-4040-11de-9dc4-0b2bba23811d/4th%20Street%20Connector%20-%20Road%20Closures%20August.pdf

freeweed
Aug 12, 2009, 3:36 PM
Not totally Calgary, but of interest...

A good chunk of the new twinned Hwy 1 between Castle Junction and Lake Louise opened last week. Not sure if the final 90kph speed limit is in place yet. There's still a ton more work to go but we're finally seeing progress after years of work on this project.

Stang
Aug 12, 2009, 3:41 PM
A good chunk of the new twinned Hwy 1 between Castle Junction and Lake Louise opened last week. Not sure if the final 90kph speed limit is in place yet. There's still a ton more work to go but we're finally seeing progress after years of work on this project.

Good to hear that part of it has opened. I drove through there a few times a few weeks ago, and they were making good progress but weren't quite done. The twinning will obviously make life easier for drivers, but I also like that they're continuing with the wildlife over/underpasses and fencing off the road to animals. Better for them, obviously, and safer for drivers.

They are also doing a bunch of widening near Golden which will make that road a little safer too. Lots of rock excavation on that one though as it kind of clings to the side of the mountain and in some places there isn't a lot of room to double it up.

Ferreth
Aug 13, 2009, 2:16 AM
[...]

They are also doing a bunch of widening near Golden which will make that road a little safer too. Lots of rock excavation on that one though as it kind of clings to the side of the mountain and in some places there isn't a lot of room to double it up.

I'm interested in how the last phase of that upgrade will be handled - they're talking about a long road tunnel along the lines of the Swiss Alps. If they go ahead with the preferred option, it would be the longest road tunnel in North America - "meh" by European standards, but very impressive for around here.

freeweed
Aug 13, 2009, 4:26 AM
I thought the tunnel was a decided deal. :shrug:

The highway east of Golden might be the scariest major highway in North America. No wonder it closes 5-20 times each winter.

You Need A Thneed
Aug 13, 2009, 5:57 AM
I think the long tunnel idea might be scrapped due to cost. It'll probably end up as a series of tunnels, rock sheds, and bridges.

Back to Calgary roads - Barlow Trail NE is getting a new traffic light installed where that wasn't one before - at 4th Ave NE.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Aug 13, 2009, 2:40 PM
Back to Calgary roads - Barlow Trail NE is getting a new traffic light installed where that wasn't one before - at 4th Ave NE.

that light is to accomodate the new bike lane coming from mayland heights and going east thru meridian industrial park. it is a pedestrian/cyclist activated light only....basically a crosswalk with traffic lights.

mersar
Aug 15, 2009, 5:50 AM
They mentioned on Global tonight that Ivanhoe Cambridge is about to sign an agreement (they said probably on Monday) with the province to let them build the south overpass for access to Cross Iron Mills, and also that the County of Rockyview will be building the Metis Trail extension north from the Stoney interchange (or more likely 144th Ave which is the city limit) to highway 566, hopefully to open when the NE ring road opens this fall. So now its just up to the city to build the remaining part from 80th to Country Hills, not likely this year though from what has been recently said.

And in the NW, they're once again working on the 12 Mile Coulee @ Crowchild interchange, hopefully this is the past push to get it done now they've got all the street lights up and this morning some earth moving equipment was back on site. They ripped up part of the existing SB to WB turn lane as well, which is needed since the turn lane is being shifted over so it curves up the hill further from the intersection itself.

mersar
Aug 15, 2009, 10:42 PM
Heres some shots of 12 Mile Coulee I managed to snag today as I wasn't driving

http://compscience.info/public/images/2009/12milecoulee-aug15-1.jpg
Looking east on Crowchild, the new exit ramp will be almost a full lane further over and a lot more gradual of a curve

http://compscience.info/public/images/2009/12milecoulee-aug15-2.jpg
Looking north east at the future SB to WB turn ramp, which will come off 12 Mile a lot further back, and curve around and up onto Crowchild with a much longer merge lane. The ramp itself will be along the green landscaping fence and come off 12 Mile just past the exit to Nagway Road, and southbound 12 Mile will end up with a dual left turn onto Crowchild along with a dual straight through on both NB and SB.

Ferreth
Aug 16, 2009, 4:29 AM
They mentioned on Global tonight that Ivanhoe Cambridge is about to sign an agreement (they said probably on Monday) with the province to let them build the south overpass for access to Cross Iron Mills, and also that the County of Rockyview will be building the Metis Trail extension north from the Stoney interchange (or more likely 144th Ave which is the city limit) to highway 566, hopefully to open when the NE ring road opens this fall. So now its just up to the city to build the remaining part from 80th to Country Hills, not likely this year though from what has been recently said.

[...]

Well, if Rockyview county can get a contiguous connection built from CIM to Stoney, yet the City can't get Metis finished up to Stoney, then the city gets a big FAIL in my books. Yeah, the city had more to build, but come on, at least a 2 lane road up to Stoney being open by the the time a whole freeway is built from Deerfoot to 17th Ave. SW is not out of the realm of possibility. Forget planning here - the city knew what was going to happen but sucked on execution.

mersar
Aug 22, 2009, 3:07 AM
Well heres a look at Metis as it stands today:

http://compscience.info/public/images/2009/stoneymetis-aug21-1.jpg
Looking north from 128th Ave towards the Stoney interchange

http://compscience.info/public/images/2009/metis-aug21-1.jpg
Looking south from Country Hills. They've ripped up all the earthwork they did last year and look to have started further south as well on the plus side

And now more of 12 Mile Coulee @ Crowchild
http://compscience.info/public/images/2009/12milecoulee-aug21-1.jpg
Looking south towards Crowchild from the intersection at Nagway Road

http://compscience.info/public/images/2009/12milecoulee-aug21-2.jpg
The new SB to WB ramp

And Country Hills Blvd where work should hopefully be starting soon
http://compscience.info/public/images/2009/countryhillsblvd-aug21-1.jpg

korzym
Aug 25, 2009, 3:53 AM
looking west down 16th, from 68th
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/korzym/DSC_2919.jpg

You Need A Thneed
Aug 25, 2009, 4:37 AM
^The city is doing some improvements on that stretch of 16th (between 52nd and 68th) as well as improving the intersection. I think it's going to be three lanes each way on 16th there, but I can confirm from the tender drawings tomorrow.

korzym
Aug 25, 2009, 5:23 AM
^The city is doing some improvements on that stretch of 16th (between 52nd and 68th) as well as improving the intersection. I think it's going to be three lanes each way on 16th there, but I can confirm from the tender drawings tomorrow.

Please share. I actually emailed the fellow handling the tender, which I noticed the other day. I asked him what kind of improvements we're going to see there and he said he didn't understand the question..Would be appreciated if you could post some info that said.

They also put up some plastic-orange construction fencing on the side of one of the dirt sound walls, maybe they'll excavate to make room for a temp intersection?..

[and they removed the speed camera there and I saw tonnes of people making a point to run red lights]

You Need A Thneed
Aug 25, 2009, 2:30 PM
^Checking the drawings now - Mostly just adding a lane each way on 16th Ave between 52nd and 68th Streets. The new lane will be in the median area. They are also adding a lane on 68th Street Northbound between 16th ave and the commercial access (between mcDonalds and Petrocan), so that the people coming off of 16th Westbound to 68th Northbound have a long merge lane.

The contract seems to assume that the province is taking care of the added lanes east of 68th Street on 16th Ave. I imagine it's part of the P3.

New streetlighting too, along 16th Ave, and a little bit of new overhead signage.

korzym
Aug 26, 2009, 5:57 AM
how did you find that out? any link? ;)

You Need A Thneed
Aug 26, 2009, 2:28 PM
how did you find that out? any link? ;)

Nope, no link. Tender drawings.

Mazrim
Aug 26, 2009, 2:46 PM
The contract seems to assume that the province is taking care of the added lanes east of 68th Street on 16th Ave. I imagine it's part of the P3.

Yup, and I was getting a little worried the City wouldn't connect to the NE Stoney work on 16th Avenue in time for opening. It's good to see they're adding that third lane as promised. It would look pretty hilarious otherwise.

Bigtime
Aug 26, 2009, 7:37 PM
Ok time for a driving question that has been bugging me lately.

When stopped at a red waiting to turn right onto a one-way street, can vehicles in the 2nd lane also legally turn right on the red? Same question could apply to a one-way/one-way intersection.

Here is a crappy MSpaint picture showing the two turns:

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3623/traffico.png

I checked the Drivers Ed Manual online and couldn't find anything definitive, and I know this was discussed way back when I was 14 and getting my learners.

I see some people in that second lane turn on the red all the time, but others wait until the light is green. An example intersection would be 3rd Street SE at 5th Avenue. 3 lanes northbound show the ability to turn right, but can the two outer lanes do it on the red?

You Need A Thneed
Aug 26, 2009, 7:45 PM

When stopped at a red waiting to turn right onto a one-way street, can vehicles in the 2nd lane also legally turn right on the red? Same question could apply to a one-way/one-way intersection.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3623/traffico.png

I checked the Drivers Ed Manual online and couldn't find anything definitive, and I know this was discussed way back when I was 14 and getting my learners.

I see some people in that second lane turn on the red all the time, but others wait until the light is green. An example intersection would be 3rd Street SE at 5th Avenue. 3 lanes northbound show the ability to turn right, but can the two outer lanes do it on the red?

As far as I know, they can. I do it at 3rd St and 5th Ave quite often (of course, during busy times, the only time you can turn right from the second lane is when the light is green anyway)

Bigtime
Aug 26, 2009, 7:49 PM
So would it also be legal from the 2nd lane on a left turn from a one-way onto another one-way? Say from Macleod northbound to 6th avenue SE?

Nudrock
Aug 26, 2009, 8:02 PM

I do it all the time. I'm sure that I've done it and seen others do it with a Police car present and I have actually seen a police car do it as well.
If a car in front of me doesn't make the move, I give them a break (I don't honk my horn).

I believe the rule of thumb is that you can make the turn into your proper lane as long as you do not cross a lane of opposing traffic. i.e. you can't go from north on a one-way street to west on a 2-way street because you would be crossing a lane of opposing eastbound traffic.

You Need A Thneed
Aug 26, 2009, 8:07 PM
So would it also be legal from the 2nd lane on a left turn from a one-way onto another one-way? Say from Macleod northbound to 6th avenue SE?

Yup. legal as well.

When turning like that, and there's also a car turning from the first lane, you always have to make sure that the inside car is turning into their proper lane.

Bigtime
Aug 26, 2009, 8:15 PM
Yup. legal as well.

When turning like that, and there's also a car turning from the first lane, you always have to make sure that the inside car is turning into their proper lane.

Yeah no kidding, I can't even remember how many times that car on the inside lane has forced me out further because they are idiots and don't know how to turn!

Nudrock: I'm also like you, I won't honk at someone stopped in that situation either. Chances are there is traffic and making that turn from one of the outside lanes becomes a lot more tricky.

freeweed
Aug 26, 2009, 8:33 PM
I'll personally never honk at anyone stopped at a red light, turning or no. By law you must stop and you're only allowed to proceed when you perceive that it's safe to do so (a lot of people don't actually know this, surprisingly enough, and treat it as a yield) - and if you're sitting behind, you have absolutely no way of judging that for most intersections.

You Need A Thneed
Aug 26, 2009, 8:43 PM
I'll personally never honk at anyone stopped at a red light, turning or no. By law you must stop and you're only allowed to proceed when you perceive that it's safe to do so (a lot of people don't actually know this, surprisingly enough, and treat it as a yield) - and if you're sitting behind, you have absolutely no way of judging that for most intersections.

Yup, stopping is important. I am amazed that we don't have more dead pedestrians in this city, with the percentage of people that drive in this city that don't stop before turning right.

automan
Aug 26, 2009, 8:55 PM
Yup. legal as well.

I could swear I read that it wasn't legal here in Alberta but now I need to go find a reference. I hope I am wrong and that it is legal cause that would be AWESOME!

korzym
Aug 26, 2009, 9:08 PM
Yup, stopping is important. I am amazed that we don't have more dead pedestrians in this city, with the percentage of people that drive in this city that don't stop before turning right.

I think it goes to show more government isn't the answer, people have brains.

frinkprof
Aug 26, 2009, 9:13 PM
Nevermind.

freeweed
Aug 26, 2009, 9:18 PM
I think he means people SHOULD have brains.

Sadly they don't, hence the laws put in place by the government to redress this.

korzym
Aug 26, 2009, 9:27 PM
I think he means people SHOULD have brains.

Sadly they don't, hence the laws put in place by the government to redress this.
Again kid, stick to speaking for yourself.

Stopping at red lights is not an issue if there aren't injuries or fatalities.

freeweed
Aug 26, 2009, 9:38 PM
Again kid, stick to speaking for yourself.

Again old man, maybe you should take some remedial English courses because I'm not the only one who didn't know what the heck you were saying. It's not my fault someone has to try to play interpreter for you.

Stopping at red lights is not an issue if there aren't injuries or fatalities.

Except it clearly is, because people not stopping at red lights continues to cause injuries and fatalities. Hence government intervention in the form of laws regulating the practice. A co-worker of mine got clipped by a car just last month. A car that did not stop at a red and turned right.

Maybe you were trying to claim that the behaviour DOESN'T cause injuries/fatalities? Or enough of them to make it worthwhile?

calgarydude
Aug 26, 2009, 9:41 PM
ill add, i wasn't sure what you meant either...

frinkprof
Aug 26, 2009, 9:44 PM
Nevermind.

Ferreth
Aug 27, 2009, 1:04 AM
I could swear I read that it wasn't legal here in Alberta but now I need to go find a reference. I hope I am wrong and that it is legal cause that would be AWESOME!

'Ya know I was thinking the same thing - I thought it was illegal to turn from the 2nd lane on a red, be it left or right. Wonder if the rules got changed at some point?

Oh, here's a reference for 'ya (left is discussed on the next page) :

Unless prohibited by a sign, you can make a right turn on a red light after you come to a full stop. This also applies to dual lane turns. (http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2018.htm)

mwalker_mw
Aug 27, 2009, 1:30 AM
I also think this must have changed at some point. I seem to recall learning it as being only permissible to turn from a curb lane to an adjacent curb lane, either left or right, if traffic permitted and after stopping.

Also of note is that if turning onto a road where there is a parked vehicle in the curb lane very close to the turn that the curb lane traffic can rightly turn into the next lane out. Which, I guess, logically would push the second turning lane to the third lane... but it doesn't appear to be explicit about this.

There are a number of things in our traffic laws that would be much more useful if they were a little more comprehensive in their explanations...

reflexzero
Aug 28, 2009, 3:12 PM
It would also be nice if said pedestrians would move more quickly when crossing the road, instead of slowly plodding along, as the majority of Calgarians do.

I don't plod when it's my turn to be a pedestrian. Of course, I also signal when I am turning or changing lanes.. :rolleyes:

srperrycgy
Aug 28, 2009, 7:52 PM
It would also be nice if said pedestrians would move more quickly when crossing the road, instead of slowly plodding along, as the majority of Calgarians do.

I don't plod when it's my turn to be a pedestrian. Of course, I also signal when I am turning or changing lanes.. :rolleyes:

I don't plod either, but drivers can be a little more fricking patient and stop stalking me when I cross the bloody road! Their impatience isn't going to kill them, but it might kill me. :hell:

freeweed
Aug 28, 2009, 8:18 PM
I don't plod either, but drivers can be a little more fricking patient and stop stalking me when I cross the bloody road! Their impatience isn't going to kill them, but it might kill me. :hell:

No kidding. Besides the fact that drivers are already going 10x as fast as you - hey buddy, you waiting 30 seconds for a pedestrian is like a pedestrian waiting 5 freaking minutes. So chill out.

What's especially funny is that all drivers, by definition, at some point or another are pedestrians and have to cross streets. Sadly some people just turn off their brains the second they get behind the wheel.

koval95
Aug 30, 2009, 9:29 PM
del

greg_a
Sep 4, 2009, 9:21 PM
Question... anyone know what the future plans are to improve the intersection at MacLeod Trail and 25th Ave SW? The wait to get through there W-to-E seems noticeably long, especially during busy periods for the c-train. Is there a plan to improve this?

mersar
Sep 5, 2009, 1:04 AM
Question... anyone know what the future plans are to improve the intersection at MacLeod Trail and 25th Ave SW? The wait to get through there W-to-E seems noticeably long, especially during busy periods for the c-train. Is there a plan to improve this?

Nothing official yet. There was some recent talk by some of council about doing something, possibly asking for a report to be done (if that ever passed I don't recall). The big issue there is how to handle the LRT in the mix without having to demolish half of that part of Erlton, a chunk of stampede park and possible intrude into the gardens. Changing the elevation of the CTrain itself to say run below grade or above is pretty limited in what it can do, just due to where the line goes as it enters the hill.

YYCguys
Sep 5, 2009, 2:38 AM
Why in heaven's name don't the construction people cover up or take down the reduced speed limit signs when not needed at the time or anymore? I was going south on QE2/Deerfoot between CrossIron Mills and Stoney Trail and there was an 80 km/hr sign and a digital board saying "Right lane closed ahead". There was no construction in sight and no right lane closure for miles! :hell: I go the speed limit when required so as to protect the lives of the workers but also to avoid getting a double fine, but it really irks me when the construction industry isn't considerate of the drivers!

Sorry...end rant now!

greg_a
Sep 5, 2009, 2:43 AM
Nothing official yet. There was some recent talk by some of council about doing something, possibly asking for a report to be done (if that ever passed I don't recall). The big issue there is how to handle the LRT in the mix without having to demolish half of that part of Erlton, a chunk of stampede park and possible intrude into the gardens. Changing the elevation of the CTrain itself to say run below grade or above is pretty limited in what it can do, just due to where the line goes as it enters the hill.

Interesting, thanks.

freeweed
Sep 8, 2009, 2:57 AM
Why in heaven's name don't the construction people cover up or take down the reduced speed limit signs when not needed at the time or anymore? I was going south on QE2/Deerfoot between CrossIron Mills and Stoney Trail and there was an 80 km/hr sign and a digital board saying "Right lane closed ahead". There was no construction in sight and no right lane closure for miles! :hell: I go the speed limit when required so as to protect the lives of the workers but also to avoid getting a double fine, but it really irks me when the construction industry isn't considerate of the drivers!

Sorry...end rant now!

You should see my ongoing rants in the Ring Road thread.

There's a pedestrian bridge being constructed near my house, that has not seen a single bit of work in nearly 3 months. But the speed has been "temporarily" reduced to 60 for the entire time. For no reason. For months. I drive this section of road damn near every day, and I'm about to have a coronary soon.

Take 5 years to do what can be done in 5 weeks, I don't care. But don't leave your signs up fucking up traffic all the time. That should be regulated by the city/province and serious fines should happen. Their ineptitude is costing thousands of people time every single day, which could all be avoided by a 30 second drive to flip the signs over.

srperrycgy
Sep 8, 2009, 4:46 AM
I found a couple of proposals on the City's Transportation Planning website:

Macleod Trail @ 25th Avenue(Part of the 25th Avenue Connector Project)

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/trans_planning/studies/25_ave_connector/25ave_connector_recommended_plan.pdf

http://members.shaw.ca/steve.perry/25th&Macleod.jpg

Macleod Trail @ Heritage Drive

http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/trans_planning/studies/heritage_macleod/roundabout_road_layout.pdf

http://members.shaw.ca/steve.perry/Heritage&Macleod.jpg

Neither project is funded or included in the City's 10-year Capital Plans.

lubicon
Sep 10, 2009, 2:39 PM
Interesting solution, even if it is temporary....

Posting this here since technically this is not part of the Ring Road.

Work starts on Plan B for Calgary's SW ring road
Traffic circle an interim fix as interchange sought

By Kim Guttormson, Calgary HeraldSeptember 10, 2009 7:55

Work begins Monday on a $250,000 traffic circle just south of the clogged intersection at Glenmore Trail and 37th Street S. W. -- a step toward immediately easing traffic headaches, while the city pushes ahead with construction of a long-needed interchange.

Also Monday, city council will be asked to approve a$40-million interchange at the site, one that would begin construction next year and leave options open to connect it to a future southwest ring road.

The city pledged to move ahead with solutions to the congested section of Glenmore when in June the Tsuu T'ina Nation rejected a deal to sell land to the province for a ring road just west of 37th Street. Improvements to the intersection had been on hold, waiting for the ring road deal to be finalized.

"The Tsuu T'ina voted no. With that no vote we had to move ahead with Plan B," Mayor Dave Bronconnier said.

"Plan B means short-term service improvements. Long-term means next year starting an interchange at Glenmore and 37th, working with the province on completing the other portion of the ring road," said Bronconnier.

"That intersection is at failure. It's been at failure for years. It's time to fix it."

While the city is struggling with numerous budget challenges this year, Bronconnier said he didn't think council would have a problem funding this work.

"We will get the money," he said.

While the Tsuu T'ina have indicated that they would be willing to reopen negotiations, Premier Ed Stelmach Wednesday said the province is moving forward with the city on a new route for the southwest leg of the ring road.

"We're ready to move," Stelmach added. "Our government is committed to completing the Calgary ring road."

Other sections will be open by 2014 at the latest.

Stelmach said the province is waiting for the city to provide a proposed alignment to run the road along its western edge.

"Once they deliver that to the government, we can proceed," he said, adding that the money--expected to be hundreds of millions of dollars --will be there.

Proceeding Monday with the roundabout will be the first concrete indication that changes will be made at the problem intersection in years. At the same time, council will be voting on whether to proceed with the design work on the interchange, so construction can begin next year and likely be completed in 2011.

Jim Royer, president of the Lakeview community association, said the traffic circle is a Band-Aid solution to the problems at that intersection and he's looking forward to the long-term plans. "We support the concept of making a quick improvement," he said of the roundabout. "I don't see that doing an awful lot . . . but an improvement to Glenmore Trail is an improvement to the neighbourhood."

He said there will also be changes to the signals, allowing for north-south traffic to turn left at the same time, followed by north-south traffic travelling straight through the intersection instead of each direction proceeding separately.

The traffic circle, which will take between three and four weeks to complete, will be built near the entrance to the Tsuu T'ina's Grey Eagle casino on 37th Street, south of Glenmore Trail. It will not affect access to the casino.

Traffic that now would be travelling east on Glenmore and trying to turn north on 37th Street will instead be routed south along 37th and into the traffic circle, then looped back toward the intersection, heading north.

Ald. Brian Pincott, who represents the area, said the change means that instead of dual left turns for vehicles travelling on Glenmore, traffic heading west will still get a left turn signal to go south on 37th Street, but the rest can also continue west through the intersection, moving a few more cars along.

"It's stop-gap," Pincott admitted. "It's all stop-gap until we get the interchange we know we need."

He believes his colleagues will support building the interchange because "it's been at failure a long time. It's consistently at the top of the list."

Royer laughs that while the interchange will definitely ease the problems at that intersection, "it's moving the bottleneck to Highway 8. And that's a question of what the province does about the ring road." He looks forward to other improvements the city is exploring.

Longer term plans call for looking at widening Glenmore Trail to six lanes from Sarcee Trail to east of Crowchild Trail; an interchange at Glenmore Trail and Richard Road; extending 37th Street from Highway 22X to 146th Avenue S. W. in consultation with Alberta Transportation; and widening 14th Street from 90th Avenue to Anderson Road, the report going to council Monday says.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Work+starts+interim+ring+road/1977679/story.html

BTW, how the hell do I make the link I posted above show up as a word? I don't want to show the entire lnk, just have a word such as 'link here' instead. I can never remember.

frinkprof
Sep 10, 2009, 4:39 PM
Nevermind.

Calgarian
Sep 10, 2009, 6:44 PM
That Traffic circle idea on 37th sounds like a terrible idea to me. No turn onto EB Glenmore from 37th going north, and no turn onto NB 37th from Glenmore going east, good thing I don't live in Lakeview.

mersar
Sep 10, 2009, 7:04 PM
There will still be access from NB 37th to EB Glenmore, all they are doing according to the design CBC posted from the city is moving the EB->NB to loop around the traffic circle instead.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/09/10/cgy-glenmore-trail-traffic-.jpg
Source (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/09/10/calgary-traffic-glenmore-trail.html)

This will drop a bit off the length of the lights cycle there, not much but it seems everyone agrees anything helps at this point.

Stang
Sep 10, 2009, 7:23 PM
That Traffic circle idea on 37th sounds like a terrible idea to me. No turn onto EB Glenmore from 37th going north, and no turn onto NB 37th from Glenmore going east, good thing I don't live in Lakeview.

Isn't the traffic circle there to facilitate those turns instead, which will make the actual intersection less congested?

Of course, this is all "in theory". I generally like traffic circles, but this is one of those "I'll have to see it in action" type of things. Interesting idea though.

Calgarian
Sep 10, 2009, 9:05 PM
There will still be access from NB 37th to EB Glenmore, all they are doing according to the design CBC posted from the city is moving the EB->NB to loop around the traffic circle instead.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/09/10/cgy-glenmore-trail-traffic-.jpg
Source (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/09/10/calgary-traffic-glenmore-trail.html)

This will drop a bit off the length of the lights cycle there, not much but it seems everyone agrees anything helps at this point.

I thought I read in the article that there would be no right turn off NB 37th onto Glenmore, weird. Either way, all this will do is clog up 37th more.

mersar
Sep 10, 2009, 9:45 PM
I don't think it will, from what I've seen NB 37th is the least used direction of flow at that intersection. But no matter what, at least the city is working on the plans for the interchange, from what they said on the radio this morning a report is supposed to go to council on Monday outlining what the plan is

mersar
Sep 15, 2009, 1:11 AM
Well council approved a $41M plan for the Glenmore/37 interchange today. To be funded using surplus funds from past projects (which reportedly will cover over half the total alone), plus reallocating funds that had been set aside to build the connections to the now defunct Tsuu Tina ring road alignment. Final budget approval will be in November.

craner
Sep 15, 2009, 5:01 AM
Well council approved a $41M plan for the Glenmore/37 interchange today. To be funded using surplus funds from past projects (which reportedly will cover over half the total alone), plus reallocating funds that had been set aside to build the connections to the now defunct Tsuu Tina ring road alignment. Final budget approval will be in November.

Will the province be kicking in any funding as part of the ring road ?

You Need A Thneed
Sep 15, 2009, 2:49 PM
Will the province be kicking in any funding as part of the ring road ?

Not for the interchange, but will be kicking in to build whatever ring road plan B they come up with, which will involve other interchanges. (Glenmore/Sarcee, etc)

korzym
Sep 16, 2009, 2:28 AM
work on 16th at 68th to 52nd will take until fall of 2010 I found out today. The city is paying for some of it, and some sources say the intersection is part of stoney trail group's job but I highly doubt it.

You Need A Thneed
Sep 16, 2009, 4:49 AM
work on 16th at 68th to 52nd will take until fall of 2010 I found out today. The city is paying for some of it, and some sources say the intersection is part of stoney trail group's job but I highly doubt it.

Yeah, there is 3-4 stages to the construction that they have to go through. And earthwork stuff is one thing that they can't really do in winter (you can't pack frozen earth properly).

I would think this project would be mostly (if not all) city funded.

Mazrim
Sep 16, 2009, 2:39 PM
It would be safe to assume that the East side of the 68th Street intersection would be STG's to do.

You Need A Thneed
Sep 16, 2009, 2:57 PM
It would be safe to assume that the East side of the 68th Street intersection would be STG's to do.

It is. The TUC comes right up to the intersection, and everything in the TUC is part to STG's contract.

In other news, the city is moving to expropriate land required for the Airport Trail/96th Ave Connector, just west of Deerfoot Trail.

AB Born
Sep 17, 2009, 7:18 AM
I love the new street lights on Memorial Dr!

mersar
Sep 17, 2009, 7:59 AM
Yes, they are great aren't they. Someone (maybe me) needs to get down there and get some photos at night, they look awesome. I'm loving how that project is turning out.

Ramsayfarian
Sep 17, 2009, 8:38 PM
About 3 weeks ago the city patched a bunch of potholes on Highfield Road north of 30th Ave.

Highfield Road north of 30th ave is now closed for construction of the additional rail line and construction of a roundabout on 25th ave. They've also dug up a good 80 feet of Highfield.

I know it's not a large amount of money wasted, but it's still money wasted. A little better planning with the Roads Dept could have prevented this.

shogged
Sep 18, 2009, 8:20 AM
About 3 weeks ago the city patched a bunch of potholes on Highfield Road north of 30th Ave.

Highfield Road north of 30th ave is now closed for construction of the additional rail line and construction of a roundabout on 25th ave. They've also dug up a good 80 feet of Highfield.

I know it's not a large amount of money wasted, but it's still money wasted. A little better planning with the Roads Dept could have prevented this.

I think roads departments are the worst for wasting money.

Case and point... Every single spring, Okotoks repaints EVERY line, cross walk, school zone markings, you name it. I'd say 3/4 of those don't even need to be repainted but still, without fail, it's done every year.

Then at times during the summer, these same roads are torn up, repaved, whatever, and once again have to be repainted.

Now I know painting lines isn't the biggest cost when it comes to road maintenance, but from the town thats always bitching about not having enough money, they sure know how to blow what they do have.

/end rant

MalcolmTucker
Sep 18, 2009, 2:02 PM
^ It would likely cost more to coordinate line painting and develop proper policies on who does it when, that to do it basically all the time.

Plus, since it is probably city workers doing the initial painting, and contracted workers (operating under the construction contract) doing the fixes.

In addition, if you didn't do the initial paint, there may be a bit of an up swell of 'won't somebody think of the children' when a cross walk isn't as clearly marked.

AB Born
Sep 18, 2009, 11:03 PM
The Bow Trail Bridge is closed again because they need to correct the piss poor pave job that was done.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090917/CGY_bow_asphalt_090917/20090917/?hub=CalgaryHome

SubwayRev
Sep 19, 2009, 4:10 PM
The Bow Trail Bridge is closed again because they need to correct the piss poor pave job that was done.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090917/CGY_bow_asphalt_090917/20090917/?hub=CalgaryHome

I can't help myself, so I read the comments at the end of this article. The story clearly states that the bridge will be closed only until Sunday, and it is quite obvious a contractor did this work and will be paying for the redo. However, the commentors blame silly hall and the Calatrava bridge, and talk about it like it will be closed for several years. Why do I read the comments on these stories?

octothorp
Sep 21, 2009, 3:20 PM

Is the roundabout going to be at the intersection of 25th and Dartmouth? Do you know what their plans are for the 26th, Dartmouth and Highfield intersection? In driving by today, it looked like they were changing the angle at which Highfield would intersect with 26th.

edit: just looking into this a bit more, it sounds (from the Ramsay Community Association minutes) like the roundabout is planned for 26th and Dartmouth, not 25th?

korzym
Sep 22, 2009, 4:07 PM
what does this sign mean? Can I park there on saturday?
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/korzym/Image070.jpg