PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Roads

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Radley77
Nov 24, 2010, 4:02 PM
The problem with any of these solutions is cost - how much do we want to spend so that cyclists can use main routes year round?

I have been re-visiting old haunts from when I visited Berlin, Germany as a kid. I noticed they have some kick-ass cycling infrastructure, see this example (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=berlin,+germany&sll=51.045,-114.057222&sspn=0.723535,0.969543&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Berlin,+Germany&ll=52.466121,13.385687&spn=0.022014,0.030298&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.466193,13.385687&panoid=-C_zFq5uXXO5wlyiSUl_5A&cbp=12,45.7,,0,38.91), 2 blocks from where my Grandmother use to live, shop and get by without a car thanks to the also lovely transit network in Berlin.

I like the separate cyclist lane, separate from the cars and pedestrians. In cases where there are cars parked, you even have a little room to help avoid the inevitable car door encounter. You also have red markings to help clue in the cars and people where you have direct interaction with either. Now, as far as snow goes, these things would be a bitch. You'd have to pick up all the snow, and have a separate sweeper just for the cycle lane. I also expect service at least to a level where someone could conceivably cycle every day of the year. All of this stuff doesn't help when we get, well this week, and all the cyclists get into their cars & stuff transit. I'd consider it a win if we could get 1% of people cycling year round in this city. I certainly don't expect it to be something for everyone.

Berlin doesn't get that much snow - I wonder how they handled the snows last winter? Then there is the cost - this is primo solution and is going to cost bucks to implement. However, I still think Calgary should start building a few of these types of things to bridge some key links - like crossing the R.R. tracks into the core downtown. They would last forever, other than requiring some more line painting in intersections. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas how this could be implemented to account for snow?

p.s. The street scape along here is what I would consider ideal (okay some of the buildings aren't that pretty, but the form factor is ideal - it's what I always compare to in my head when looking at anything else.

I had a look at historical weather temperature from 2000 (just a random year), and for temperatures below -15C mean was only 6.7% of the entire days in the year. And 34.6% of the year was below 0C. There is also an amount of days that people would not travel by bike due to snow.

I'm thinking that you could have some of the bicycle network be permanent, and some be temporary similar to the Riverwalk setup. There needs to be a bare bones bicycle infrastructure at all times in some areas, but some of it could be designed to be temporary.

On some winter days, it seems like every square inch of the road is required for thoroughput, and at the same time there is a lot less cycling traffic. I would think some amount of 'poor boy' seasonal cycling infrastructure would make sense.

mooky
Nov 25, 2010, 7:08 PM
European Import Has Cars Spinning. Heads, Too. (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/us/19roundabouts.html?_r=2&scp=2&sq=roundabout&st=cse)

Not Calgary specific, but I know roundabouts and traffic circles are often a topic of discussion here.

Mazrim
Nov 25, 2010, 8:31 PM
European Import Has Cars Spinning. Heads, Too. (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/us/19roundabouts.html?_r=2&scp=2&sq=roundabout&st=cse)

Not Calgary specific, but I know roundabouts and traffic circles are often a topic of discussion here.

Hahaha, some of the people they quote in this article...Is it too easy to call americans ignorant when you read a quote like this?

“Just because something works in one culture, doesn’t mean it’s going to work in another culture,” said Mr. Gernert, who teaches about world cultures at nearby Cedar Crest High School. “In our country, we don’t hang animals in our storefronts like other cultures. Food is different. Transportation, patience, people, their temperaments, are different from country to country.”

One of the few things that doesn't change a whole lot in the world is the basic rules of the road.

freeweed
Nov 25, 2010, 8:49 PM
Hahaha, some of the people they quote in this article...Is it too easy to call people ignorant when you read a quote like this?

Fixed that for ya. ;) I've heard the exact same comments coming out of Canadians, and for that matter Europeans when subjected to something "new" to them.

One of the few things that doesn't change a whole lot in the world is the basic rules of the road.

Only if you understand the rules of the road in terms of what they're trying to achieve. Sadly too many drivers just memorize the rules themselves and have absolutely no clue how to handle even the slightest modification. The US (and Canada) definitely has a culture of over-regulating and over-signing everything on the road, which results in people who don't really have to think much. When anything is even remotely ambiguous, people freeze up and cannot decide how to act.

Stang
Nov 25, 2010, 8:54 PM
It is always pretty funny how resistant people are to change.

Speaking of roundabouts, I'm liking the flow on 37th and Glenmore. Admittedly, I haven't really been on it in rush hour, but it seems to work well when I've gone through during other times.

And it also seems like people are slowly learning how to use them here in Calgary. I have seen fewer moments of idiocy over the past year or so, which leads me to believe that people are seeing them for what they are: a simple yield.

Mazrim
Nov 25, 2010, 9:00 PM
Fixed that for ya. ;)
Fair enough...I guess my grumbling about americans getting a day off is getting into my train of thought!

The US (and Canada) definitely has a culture of over-regulating and over-signing everything on the road, which results in people who don't really have to think much. When anything is even remotely ambiguous, people freeze up and cannot decide how to act.
There are two additional symptoms to consider here:
- You're assuming people actually look at signs. :haha: My experience is that not very many do. As an example, it was pretty funny watching Canada's Worst Driver and seeing them trying to interpret signs.
- A problem with oversigning is also the lack of consistency. If signs were done the same way in the entire US for example, then it would be much easier to interpret the messages they give. Here in Alberta we have a rather large problem with inconsistency in traffic control, even from the people up at the top approving things.

freeweed
Nov 25, 2010, 10:18 PM
There are two additional symptoms to consider here:
- You're assuming people actually look at signs. :haha: My experience is that not very many do. As an example, it was pretty funny watching Canada's Worst Driver and seeing them trying to interpret signs.
- A problem with oversigning is also the lack of consistency. If signs were done the same way in the entire US for example, then it would be much easier to interpret the messages they give. Here in Alberta we have a rather large problem with inconsistency in traffic control, even from the people up at the top approving things.

Yup, and these are an inevitable result of over-signing. People just stop paying attention after a while.

I wouldn't take much from that show however. They're the absolute extreme examples of clueless idiots (that's why they're on the show).

Ferreth
Nov 26, 2010, 1:48 AM

Pretty much the same reaction and arguments here in Mayland Heights when they proposed a roundabout at 19th St. and 14th Ave. Now we have a traffic light instead. :doh:

MonctonGoldenFlames
Nov 26, 2010, 3:44 AM
Pretty much the same reaction and arguments here in Mayland Heights when they proposed a roundabout at 19th St. and 14th Ave. Now we have a traffic light instead. :doh:

yup, you can thank the city for that mistake. they sent out a survey asking residents which they prefered. the city did not educate people on the pros and cons of either, so of course the roundabout got shot down. people are afraid of them. worst part is it was to be a one lane in, one lane out circle, the absolute easiest and fool proof circle.

Ferreth
Nov 26, 2010, 3:52 AM
yup, you can thank the city for that mistake. they sent out a survey asking residents which they prefered. the city did not educate people on the pros and cons of either, so of course the roundabout got shot down. people are afraid of them. worst part is it was to be a one lane in, one lane out circle, the absolute easiest and fool proof circle.

No one told me that - and I went to the open house. I was wondering how the 16th Ave side of 19th St. was supposed to interface with the circle (4 lanes on that side only) There was no drawing at the open house showing what the actual traffic circle was going to look like, and listening to the City reps there, they didn't seem to have any details either. Total lack of communication, never mind trying to sell the idea to the community.

Koolfire
Nov 26, 2010, 4:42 AM

I drive through there on and from work and I like the idea of a traffic circle but traffic heading to 16th Ave to make a left hand turn backs through that intersection fairly frequently. Not sure how well a traffic circle would handle that.

I wouldn't mind seeing a traffic circle at 19th St / 8 ave.

MichaelS
Nov 26, 2010, 5:12 AM

Actually in my travels I have found that the rules of the road vary greatly depending on where you are. Driver's seem to follow a completely different set of rules in Cairo than they do in Hanoi than they do in Calgary for instance. Even in Australia (upside down Canada esentially) it is different, pedestrians don't have the right of way. I was literally almost killed on several occasions my first few days living in Brisbane because I was not used to looking right when I stepped off the curb, and cars there didn't even slow down when a pedestrian was at the corner of an intersection. And, once while driving in a parking lot, I actually stopped for a woman who was trying to cross the road. She stood and stared at me for a second before I finally waved her across. She gave me the oddest look the whole time she walked infront of my car.

Ramsayfarian
Nov 26, 2010, 5:49 AM

WTF, its been 25 years since National Lampoon's European Vacation was released? That makes me feel old.

Being from the Chuk, I love round-a-bouts and I'm pleasantly surprised that no one has been killed yet on the one on Highfield Rd. Mind you I still run into drivers that have no clue. Just today, someone in the circle yielded to me. I was tempted to go, but I waved them on.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Nov 26, 2010, 5:50 AM
No one told me that - and I went to the open house. I was wondering how the 16th Ave side of 19th St. was supposed to interface with the circle (4 lanes on that side only) There was no drawing at the open house showing what the actual traffic circle was going to look like, and listening to the City reps there, they didn't seem to have any details either. Total lack of communication, never mind trying to sell the idea to the community.

from the beginning, the traffic committee was told by the city that a circle was the best solution for this intersection, but a circle was not part of the traffic calming measures being used by the city. they also said that traffic lights were not a good way to deal with the intersection.

the open houses never showed the circle, because at that time, the city was only willing to deal with certain traffic calming devices that they had used in other communities. they had run tests of the intersection with lights, and the results were that there would be issues with the proximity to 16 avenue. we did briefly look at curb extensions to create a 'choke point'. it was favorable to the pedestrians, but transit, fire and ems did not want it, so it got shot down.

for the longest time, the city was going to do nothing with 14 avenue and 19 street, because of lack of viable options. only late in the game (after all open houses and community engagement) did the city admit that maybe the roundabout should be installed. the traffic committee was thrilled by this, as it would have given us a 'gateway' to mayland heights. i even sat at the circles on sierra morena blvd for an hour, videotaping it to show at the one of our meetings, showing the committee how well they worked. the city never showed any such proof of their effectiveness. we were even encouraged to have a 'welcome to mayland heights' sign in the middle of the circle. it would have been fantastic and i nice peace of community beautification.

with the city and traffic committee all in favor of the circle, the city decided that they would send out a survey to see what the residents had thought of the idea. so with no community education, open house or dialogue, they sent out a survey asking if the residents would approve a traffic circle in that location. no info was given to the residents on a possible alignment, how the circle would work or any other information that would help the residents realize that a circle is by far the best solution for the intersection.

so, here we are today, the city shoved a set of traffic lights, that early in the process were deemed unacceptable, down our throats.

i wrote a challenging email to all committee members, alderman chabot and bruce mcdougall (city guy) asking why we are being stuck with the least desirable option and where the transparency was in making the final decision to go with the lights. no response from anybody. to this day, every time i drive thru that intersection, i dream of what could have been.

here is a quick sketch of how the circle would have operated. sorry for the poor quality image..... i've been into the amaretto tonight :haha:

yellow - curb extensions and roundabout
blue - street parking
purple - bus zone
red - one lane in, one lane out

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/monctongoldenflames/14ave19stne.jpg

MonctonGoldenFlames
Nov 26, 2010, 5:51 AM
I drive through there on and from work and I like the idea of a traffic circle but traffic heading to 16th Ave to make a left hand turn backs through that intersection fairly frequently. Not sure how well a traffic circle would handle that.

I wouldn't mind seeing a traffic circle at 19th St / 8 ave.

i would love to see the city redeem themselves and install it there! i'll cross my fingers, but no way in hell will i try to hold my breathe that long.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Nov 26, 2010, 5:55 AM
WTF, its been 25 years since National Lampoon's European Vacation was released? That makes me feel old.

Being from the Chuk, I love round-a-bouts and I'm pleasantly surprised that no one has been killed yet on the one on Highfield Rd. Mind you I still run into drivers that have no clue. Just today, someone in the circle yielded to me. I was tempted to go, but I waved them on.

so you must have noticed they opened up the 2nd lane in heading west on 26 ave?

i can't wait to get hit by a car there, when i leave the inside lane of the circle and exit onto dartmouth. drivers are going to go nuts when un-informed drivers are present.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Nov 26, 2010, 6:04 AM

about 70% of the traffic driving 8 avenue and 19 street are considered "shortcutters' by the city, in other words, their destination is not the community. the hope was that by reducing vehicle speed and installing the curb extensions, traffic would begin to back up, and those shortcutters would look for alternate routes around mayland heights. the whole time in the committee meetings, the motto was; short term pain for long term gain. ie: deal with the increased congestion until the drivers start taking other routes.

freeweed
Nov 26, 2010, 4:39 PM
So how's that $10 million working? I've yet to see a single residential road plowed and we're coming up on 4 days since the last major snowfall.

Mind you, I've yet to run into a residential road that actually needs plowing, but I'm sure those living on hills might disagree.

You Need A Thneed
Nov 26, 2010, 4:45 PM
So how's that $10 million working? I've yet to see a single residential road plowed and we're coming up on 4 days since the last major snowfall.

Mind you, I've yet to run into a residential road that actually needs plowing, but I'm sure those living on hills might disagree.

A plow must have come down the centre of our street overnight, becasue there was a bit of a windrow, and the ruts were levelled off. Plowing down the centre right down to asphalt would probably have made a pile that one side of the street couldn't have gotten their cars over.

Mazrim
Nov 26, 2010, 4:50 PM
i would love to see the city redeem themselves and install it there! i'll cross my fingers, but no way in hell will i try to hold my breathe that long.

They could always do what cities like Kelowna did and just force it in without consultation...people got used to it pretty quickly and there aren't any further complaints about new roundabouts it seems.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Nov 26, 2010, 5:58 PM
They could always do what cities like Kelowna did and just force it in without consultation...people got used to it pretty quickly and there aren't any further complaints about new roundabouts it seems.

that would require balls on the city's part, but as far as i can tell, they haven't dropped yet.

Ramsayfarian
Nov 26, 2010, 9:53 PM
so you must have noticed they opened up the 2nd lane in heading west on 26 ave?

i can't wait to get hit by a car there, when i leave the inside lane of the circle and exit onto dartmouth. drivers are going to go nuts when un-informed drivers are present.

I've noticed the second lane. Isn't there a second lane on Dartmouth as well? I don't think I've ever seen a traffic circle with a mix of single and double lanes entrances and exits.

I'm also hoping to get hit there as I need some work done on my passenger side. I've come close more than a few times, but my damn reflexes always kick in.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Nov 27, 2010, 2:28 AM
I've noticed the second lane. Isn't there a second lane on Dartmouth as well? I don't think I've ever seen a traffic circle with a mix of single and double lanes entrances and exits.

I'm also hoping to get hit there as I need some work done on my passenger side. I've come close more than a few times, but my damn reflexes always kick in.

i know there are 2 lanes exiting the circle to dartmouth rd, if thats what you mean. i don't know about dartmouth entering the circle.

Ramsayfarian
Nov 27, 2010, 2:46 AM
i know there are 2 lanes exiting the circle to dartmouth rd, if thats what you mean. i don't know about dartmouth entering the circle.

I think there is two lanes on the entrance as well. I hit that traffic circle at least once a day, but seldom take Dartmouth now that they shut down 30 ave.

Koolfire
Nov 27, 2010, 7:44 AM
about 70% of the traffic driving 8 avenue and 19 street are considered "shortcutters' by the city, in other words, their destination is not the community. the hope was that by reducing vehicle speed and installing the curb extensions, traffic would begin to back up, and those shortcutters would look for alternate routes around mayland heights. the whole time in the committee meetings, the motto was; short term pain for long term gain. ie: deal with the increased congestion until the drivers start taking other routes.

It's going to have to get a lot worse to prevent shortcutters. For the most part I barely notice the traffic calming measures. It add usually less then a minute to the drive which is still way faster then going to Barlow and being stuck at the lights + extra drive distance.

Ferreth
Nov 27, 2010, 6:31 PM
from the beginning, the traffic committee was told by the city that a circle was the best solution for this intersection, but a circle was not part of the traffic calming measures being used by the city. they also said that traffic lights were not a good way to deal with the intersection. [...]

yellow - curb extensions and roundabout
blue - street parking
purple - bus zone
red - one lane in, one lane out

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/monctongoldenflames/14ave19stne.jpg

Thanks for the info - that design totally would have worked better in that location. As for traffic backing up from 16th, the traffic light is worse IMO. Every time a SB car wants to turn left it backs up with the stream of traffic NB only letting one or two cars through per cycle. Traffic circle at 19th & 8th would be better too - most people are doing left hand turns there anyways. Perhaps this will get revisited in a few years time, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like to see this kind of design could replace a lot of community traffic lights/ 4 way stops. They look better too. The few that I have experienced seem to work a lot better that the previous conventional solution.

Some examples of community traffic lights I'd consider:
- 8th Ave & 10th St NE
- Marborough Dr & Marlborough Way
- Marlborough Way & Maryvale Dr.
- 44th St. & 8th Ave SE
- 15th Av / 16th Ave & 28th St (http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta&ll=51.038965,-113.993046&spn=0.011307,0.01502&z=16) (Prime candidate as this is F'd up right now)
- Pretty much every feeder road 4 way in the NE properties

Many, many more are possible - assuming they can be made big enough to handle a full size city bus.

You Need A Thneed
Nov 27, 2010, 11:51 PM
The intersection of Metis and 64th is, as of today, back to the new permanent alignment. 25 months of detour for about 6 months of work. 64th ave now goes over the new LRT tunnel.

Work has started on building the missing section of Metis trail, between 80th and 96th avenues. Its a good thing too, because work has started on the new runway- clearing buildings and vegetation.

freeweed
Dec 1, 2010, 3:33 PM
Rant time... so the City in its infinite wisdom has plowed my actual street, even though it only had a couple of inches of hard-pack on it and was completely driveable by any vehicle in this country.

However, all they did was run a grader down the middle, so every single driveway now has a lovely 18"+ high pile of ice chunks blocking it, which will melt and freeze solid over the next day or so unless we race out there every time the plow comes by (without warning) and chip it out. My car is low enough that I will likely destroy my undercarriage if I try to take it out tonight.

I had to deal with this wasteful destructive nonsense in Winnipeg, and thought I got away from it finally. At least in Winnipeg after 20 years or so they realized that the City can't just leave huge mounds of shit in front of your drive - so they actually run a front-end loader behind to clear the ice damns.

$10 million and it's now 10x harder to get anywhere. Brilliant! :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell:

lubicon
Dec 1, 2010, 5:36 PM
I just shovel it right back onto the street where it will get packed down by vehicles.

freeweed
Dec 1, 2010, 5:47 PM
I just shovel it right back onto the street where it will get packed down by vehicles.

And that's exactly what I'm going to do. It's just annoying to actually be PAYING another $20 in property taxes just for the privilege of having to shovel even more.

reflexzero
Dec 3, 2010, 2:50 PM
They 'cleared' snow on my road too, however they just scraped off a small layer at the top, to push the loose snow and ice back into the ruts.

I remember last year after a big dump of snow, doing 15 laps around my block at speed in my Neon to plow a trail through the drifts. Had some odd looks at first, but otherwise everyone just follows the same cow path and make deep ruts that last until April.

freeweed
Dec 3, 2010, 5:29 PM
I wish there was some "common sense" way of dealing with this (I know, I know, "common sense" isn't very common).

What happened last year? Absolutely, many residential streets needed clearing. Mine didn't, but I in no way would begrudge those folks in the NE (forget which neighbourhood) with 6 foot snow drifts using some of my tax money to be able to drive again.

The city needs some way to intelligently focus resources. I'd like to believe they could just leave it up to us citizens (call 3-1-1 if you need your street cleared) but I don't have that much faith in people. :(

Radley77
Dec 6, 2010, 10:51 PM
City Launches Road Conditions Map
The City of Calgary is working hard to keep drivers moving and informed about their commute.

Today, the City released a road conditions map (http://www.cocnmp.com/snic/) showing real-time results of Calgary’s plowed roads.

“This will be an awesome tool for commuters, the media and citizens,” said Sean Somers, with the City of Calgary’s Transportation department. “We’ve heard time and time again about folks not seeing our equipment out there during big storms. Not only will you be able to see our equipment, you’ll be able to track our progress and plan your commute based on where we’ve been,” he added.

Users will have the ability to see exactly which routes GPS equipped City sanders and plows are working on. Quick links to traffic cameras will also show images of traffic volumes and road conditions that may aid motorists when planning a commute.

The map will also feature text updates about the work being done before, during and after a storm.

Visit calgary.ca/roadconditions (http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_104_0_0_35/http;/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Roads/Snow+and+Ice+Control/Snow+and+Ice+Control+Program+and+Facts.htm) to view the map and latest information.

The City’s Snow and Ice Control program maintains nearly 15,000 lane kilometres of road around the clock.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4HRtTKLCLYc/TP0o0KH_PcI/AAAAAAAAA5w/kiUu-gaN4eY/s320/120610_snic_map.jpg

Article Reference: City Launches Road Conditions Map - Calgary City News Blog (http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2010/12/city-launches-road-conditions-map.html)
Author: Brad Linn, Date: December 6, 2010

City of Calgary Road Conditions Map - Youtube Video

dZOIn-5WuKw

Double rainbow awesome all the way! :rainbow::rainbow:

mwalker_mw
Dec 7, 2010, 12:06 AM
That is so well done... apparently someone around the city knows how to make a website - too bad they won't let them near the main page...

More goodness from the same engine:
http://calgary.ca/fsmap/

Don't think I've seen it mentioned on here...

Ferreth
Dec 7, 2010, 12:11 AM
City Launches Road Conditions Map

Article Reference: City Launches Road Conditions Map - Calgary City News Blog (http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2010/12/city-launches-road-conditions-map.html)
Author: Brad Linn, Date: December 6, 2010

Double rainbow awesome all the way! :rainbow::rainbow:

That got bookmarked 10 seconds after I opened it. Now, lets see if it is kept up to date. Second, I hope at some point they get more cameras - like get it together with the province and get Deerfoot done between Stoney and 22X! Bow Trail, 52 St. NE/SE, Sarcee, McKnight - I could go on and on. If they could double the number, with good placement, it wouldn't be bad coverage.

Mazrim
Dec 7, 2010, 12:35 AM
Yeah we'll need to watch that page next time there's a good snowfall to see how it goes.

Radley77
Dec 7, 2010, 1:16 AM
That is so well done... apparently someone around the city knows how to make a website - too bad they won't let them near the main page...

More goodness from the same engine:
http://calgary.ca/fsmap/

Don't think I've seen it mentioned on here...

Thanks, I found a couple new off leash dog parks in my 'hood that I never knew about!

Koolfire
Dec 7, 2010, 1:43 AM
That got bookmarked 10 seconds after I opened it. Now, lets see if it is kept up to date. Second, I hope at some point they get more cameras - like get it together with the province and get Deerfoot done between Stoney and 22X! Bow Trail, 52 St. NE/SE, Sarcee, McKnight - I could go on and on. If they could double the number, with good placement, it wouldn't be bad coverage.

Plus have multiple views for the same intersections. I find the whole traffic cam system currently worthless with all the holes in coverage.

mersar
Dec 7, 2010, 5:00 AM
Well I'm glad to see the city hasn't completely forgotten what the second word in "snow removal" means, they finally are removing the now mostly melted berms of snow from along the curbs on 17th ave tonight. 2 little sidewalk scale plows, 3 graders, 1 road-scale snowblower and about 20 dumptrucks is the procession thats currently stopped waiting for a tow truck in front of my place.

Ferreth
Dec 7, 2010, 7:35 PM
In my neighborhood on the bus routes, the city has been pushing the snow over the sidewalk to the grass (where there is public property). The road is much better, but it will take a few warmer days to get the sidewalk back in shape.

You Need A Thneed
Dec 15, 2010, 4:42 PM
Airport Trail Underpass info page (http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_780_237_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Transportation+Planning/Network+Planning/Studies/Airport+Trail+Underpass.htm) from the city's website.

According to a friend, council will be voting on the underpass on Jan 10, but I imagine that still could be subject to change.

You Need A Thneed
Dec 17, 2010, 8:27 PM
It's been a while since I've seen full out snow removal on a smaller route, which is what happened outside my window this morning. To those who think the city should do that to every street all winter, LOL. When you see the operation, you know why full scale snow removal costs so much.

3-4 graders
A couple of support trucks with flashing lights
Giant snow blower tractor
Who knows how many gravel trucks, each one gets filled up in about 100 feet of road.

That's a significant amount of equipment. It's also hilarious that the shoulders are again white after this was done this morning.

freeweed
Dec 17, 2010, 9:38 PM
Yeah, and ironically I found driving EASIER last year when we didn't waste the money on this nonsense.

Stang
Dec 20, 2010, 3:47 PM
Yeah, and ironically I found driving EASIER last year when we didn't waste the money on this nonsense.

A lot of Calgarians falsely equate "snow removal" with the immediate impact of a storm. Sitting on a sheet of ice on Crowchild Trail is due to a storm and a quick freeze. Snow removal is when... well... snow is removed from the roads. There's a big difference to me, but a lot of people think that having their cul-de-sac shaved down to bare pavement is going to improve their commute somehow.

With the exception of the occasional "big" snow dump, we don't often need much actual snow removal in this city.

mersar
Dec 20, 2010, 5:07 PM
Heres a question that maybe someone can answer. What are the new streetlight poles with the two electrical cabinets mounted on the sides a few feet above ground and with a flat panel radio antenna on the top for? I noticed them installing one of these poles on Blackfoot @ Southland on Saturday and saw another on Country Hills last night.

Innersoul1
Dec 20, 2010, 6:36 PM
It's been a while since I've seen full out snow removal on a smaller route, which is what happened outside my window this morning. To those who think the city should do that to every street all winter, LOL. When you see the operation, you know why full scale snow removal costs so much.

3-4 graders
Who knows how many gravel trucks, each one gets filled up in about 100 feet of road.

That's a significant amount of equipment. It's also hilarious that the shoulders are again white after this was done this morning.

Obviously, on certain roadways this is a functional operation (it allows parking along the road without blocking lanes, keeps piles of snow from being on the sidewalk). It's my impression that the city has been doing this in the core for some time now. But I agree, full scale for the whole city, this is a bit much especially given that we get nowhere near the amount of snow that Montreal and Halifax do to justify this.

In fact, even the grading of residential streets is kind of lame. I noticed this being done in my in-laws community and when the graders pass over they are rarely putting down enough sand or gravel for the blade cuts down the snow and essentially leaves a nice icy sheen behind it!

Bigtime
Dec 20, 2010, 6:50 PM

3-4 graders

I saw them doing this on 11th avenue about a week or so ago, bad timing as there was a Flames game that night. So 11th had about 1 lane of traffic getting through when the game was out! :haha:

freeweed
Dec 20, 2010, 7:01 PM
Obviously, on certain roadways this is a functional operation (it allows parking along the road without blocking lanes, keeps piles of snow from being on the sidewalk). It's my impression that the city has been doing this in the core for some time now. But I agree, full scale for the whole city, this is a bit much especially given that we get nowhere near the amount of snow that Montreal and Halifax do to justify this.

Yeah, in the core it's essential. But for the most part, I wouldn't call most of those "residential" streets anyway. Places where the majority of the street is used for parking or bus routs, or otherwise see a lot of traffic - yup, snow *removal* is a must.

My sleepy suburban cul-de-sac? Errr... not so much.

(I don't actually live on a cul-de-sac)

AB Born
Dec 20, 2010, 7:36 PM
Heres a question that maybe someone can answer. What are the new streetlight poles with the two electrical cabinets mounted on the sides a few feet above ground and with a flat panel radio antenna on the top for? I noticed them installing one of these poles on Blackfoot @ Southland on Saturday and saw another on Country Hills last night.

There is also one at the traffic circle in McKenzie Towne & one on Anderson Rd by Lake Bonavista

DizzyEdge
Dec 21, 2010, 12:52 AM
Anyone know where I might find a diagram of downtown street daily traffic volumes?

fusili
Dec 21, 2010, 2:48 AM
Anyone know where I might find a diagram of downtown street daily traffic volumes?

Here (2008 Downtown Traffic Volumes) (http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_766_230_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Transportation+Planning/Transportation+Data/Historic+Traffic+Flow+Maps.htm)

lineman
Dec 21, 2010, 4:20 AM

Likely a PCS antenna. I saw one on Anderson Road. I work at a company that the city contracts the installation of light poles to (not my department, I do rural powerline installations), so I'll ask around in the morning.

gorebug
Dec 21, 2010, 4:34 PM
Likely a PCS antenna. I saw one on Anderson Road. I work at a company that the city contracts the installation of light poles to (not my department, I do rural powerline installations), so I'll ask around in the morning.

That is correct. I know the one in Mackenzie Towne is a cell tower (Wind mobile maybe?).

DizzyEdge
Dec 21, 2010, 6:01 PM
Here (2008 Downtown Traffic Volumes) (http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_766_230_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Transportation+Planning/Transportation+Data/Historic+Traffic+Flow+Maps.htm)

Thank you sir!

Innersoul1
Dec 21, 2010, 9:41 PM
One of my pet peeves about Calgary streets is the poor lighting of crosswalks across the city. This is compounded by the fact that during the winter months during peak traffic hours it tends to be dark. While some cities have dealt with this problem by adding dedicated lights to crosswalks I would imagine that there would be a more cost effective solution.

On a recent trip to Seattle (streets in seattle, much like Victoria tend to be poorly lit at the best of times) I found the solution pictured below. It worked really well from the times I observed it. Would something like this work in Calgary?

http://seattlest.com/attachments/seattle_dan/crossingflags1.jpg
Credit Seattlest.com

http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/images/ped/usecrossing-flag2.jpg
Credit City of Seattle

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2603731539_65b8424d66.jpg
Credit Gabriel Gastelum

polishavenger
Dec 21, 2010, 10:01 PM
Oh the indignity of it all. You might as well put your hand out and tuck your thumb in just like when you were 5. :)

One of my pet peeves about Calgary streets is the poor lighting of crosswalks across the city. This is compounded by the fact that during the winter months during peak traffic hours it tends to be dark. While some cities have dealt with this problem by adding dedicated lights to crosswalks I would imagine that there would be a more cost effective solution.

On a recent trip to Seattle (streets in seattle, much like Victoria tend to be poorly lit at the best of times) I found the solution pictured below. It worked really well from the times I observed it. Would something like this work in Calgary?

http://seattlest.com/attachments/seattle_dan/crossingflags1.jpg
Credit Seattlest.com

http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/images/ped/usecrossing-flag2.jpg
Credit City of Seattle

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2603731539_65b8424d66.jpg
Credit Gabriel Gastelum

Mazrim
Dec 21, 2010, 10:35 PM
I wonder how much budget they devote to replacing stolen flags?

Oliver Klozov
Dec 21, 2010, 11:17 PM
There are some pretty cool new crosswalk designs incorporating the latest technologies. We have one in Canmore where not only are there flashing yellow lights at the crosswalk ends, there are flashing yellow lights embedded in the roadway!

While I was looking to see if there was a pic on the web, I came across this really cool crosswalk -

http://www.inewidea.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/2009112020.jpg

taken from the website:
http://www.inewidea.com/2009/11/24/12665.html

Mazrim
Dec 21, 2010, 11:55 PM
There are some pretty cool new crosswalk designs incorporating the latest technologies. We have one in Canmore where not only are there flashing yellow lights at the crosswalk ends, there are flashing yellow lights embedded in the roadway!

Here is a link (http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta&ll=49.859802,-119.491253&spn=0,0.019248&z=16&layer=c&cbll=49.859695,-119.491244&panoid=xxK6fdaiam5HbGIQQVGvFw&cbp=12,354.41,,0,29.58) to a similar set up in Kelowna. I don't know if it was a success though cause they look really worn down. I imagine snow plows destroy the embedded ones.

MalcolmTucker
Dec 22, 2010, 12:07 AM
That laser sidewalk contraption - I am pretty sure it violates the laws of physics - there is a reason laser pointers don't look like light sabers unless they are disturbed by a medium, like smoke in the air.

DizzyEdge
Dec 22, 2010, 12:17 AM
Here is a link (http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta&ll=49.859802,-119.491253&spn=0,0.019248&z=16&layer=c&cbll=49.859695,-119.491244&panoid=xxK6fdaiam5HbGIQQVGvFw&cbp=12,354.41,,0,29.58) to a similar set up in Kelowna. I don't know if it was a success though cause they look really worn down. I imagine snow plows destroy the embedded ones.

I wonder how much it would cost to have simple laser pointers illuminating patches on the ground vs embedded lights?

mersar
Dec 22, 2010, 12:20 AM
I wonder how much it would cost to have simple laser pointers illuminating patches on the ground vs embedded lights?

Probably a lot less. At least until the city legal department realized that someone may be dumb enough to walk into the beam and look at the source of it directly, then turn around and sue the city for losing their eye sight.

Mazrim
Dec 22, 2010, 12:33 AM

The embedded lights are aimed at the cars driving down the road, which especially at night really grabs your attention. Your idea, while good, might not be as effective at getting the driver's attention.

DizzyEdge
Dec 22, 2010, 12:50 AM
You're probably right, would be hard to see until you're already there.

freeweed
Dec 22, 2010, 3:14 AM
That laser sidewalk contraption - I am pretty sure it violates the laws of physics - there is a reason laser pointers don't look like light sabers unless they are disturbed by a medium, like smoke in the air.

Looks like that is in Manhattan. Plenty of pollution to produce the effect. :P

The answer to pedestrian crossings in Calgary is simple: TEACH PEOPLE TO *%$#@&!ING LOOK BEFORE WALKING IN FRONT OF 2 TON DEATH MACHINES.

I swear, ever since moving here I've seen hundreds of people nearly killed, and invariably it's the pedestrians who just blindly walk in front of traffic. Especially in the winter, when cars have more difficulty stopping. Having all of these 30 km/h zones and training pedestrians from a very young age that cars will always be driving slow for them is also an insane idea. 7 years in and I'm still amazed on a very regular basis just how clueless many pedestrians are here. They'd be killed if they behaved like this in almost any other city on the planet (I shudder to think of mixing Calgary pedestrians with Montreal drivers, it would be a bloodbath).

I say this as someone who is mostly the pedestrian when it comes to ped/vehicle interactions (most of my driving is highway/freeway).

Ferreth
Dec 22, 2010, 4:52 AM
Why not just have regular traffic lights triggered with a button the pedestrian hits? The ones I used to use in Vancouver worked great. I would add some logic to the light to the effect that if the time since the last light cycle is > 3min, it would cycle the light immediately, unless it was some part of a light timing cycle in conjunction with some other lights. I've used the new one on Barlow Tr. around 5th Ave NE, and it works good, about the best solution for a major roadway outside of an overpass. The city should stop building the stupid flashing crosswalks. Too many drivers ignore them.

mwalker_mw
Dec 22, 2010, 4:08 PM
Re: Pedestrian. I think I mentioned them before on here, but I really like the yellow reflective strips being used in Cochrane on the poles for pedestrian crossings. They are effective, clean and subtle. Ultimately, pedestrians need to take responsibility though - as a pedestrian I have no problem asserting my right-of-way but this is done by showing clear intent to cross and staring down the oncoming traffic. I like the flashing crossing lights as pedestrians always seem to hide behind the pillars in my vehicle. They do seem a bit cost inefficient however (big steel poles, etc.) - I suspect modern technology can come up with something better.

Re: road traffic volumes - comparing the 2008 figures to the 1991 figures shows a substantial reduction in the last 20 years on almost every major downtown artery (in some places by as much as 20%). Perhaps the limiting of parking spots is working as planned.

Innersoul1
Dec 22, 2010, 5:07 PM

While I was looking to see if there was a pic on the web, I came across this really cool crosswalk -

http://www.inewidea.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/2009112020.jpg

taken from the website:
http://www.inewidea.com/2009/11/24/12665.html

There are a number of the embedded crosswalks in Victoria, unfortunately, they do break easily and the issue would be compounded by the use of plows and snow in Calgary.

Innersoul1
Dec 22, 2010, 5:10 PM
Looks like that is in Manhattan. Plenty of pollution to produce the effect. :P

The answer to pedestrian crossings in Calgary is simple: TEACH PEOPLE TO *%$#@&!ING LOOK BEFORE WALKING IN FRONT OF 2 TON DEATH MACHINES.

I swear, ever since moving here I've seen hundreds of people nearly killed, and invariably it's the pedestrians who just blindly walk in front of traffic. Especially in the winter, when cars have more difficulty stopping. Having all of these 30 km/h zones and training pedestrians from a very young age that cars will always be driving slow for them is also an insane idea. 7 years in and I'm still amazed on a very regular basis just how clueless many pedestrians are here. They'd be killed if they behaved like this in almost any other city on the planet (I shudder to think of mixing Calgary pedestrians with Montreal drivers, it would be a bloodbath).

I say this as someone who is mostly the pedestrian when it comes to ped/vehicle interactions (most of my driving is highway/freeway).

I agree that people need to have a bit more awareness when crossing streets. My idea for flags would be on secondary streets where the cost of installing lights would be prohibitive. I would say that it is a two-way street when it comes to pedestrians (pardon the pun) There are a number of drivers who aren't awar to see the pedestrians patiently waiting to cross the street.

Mazrim
Dec 22, 2010, 6:08 PM

It's a shared responsibility and sometimes you gotta believe that the driver is going to do the right thing as well.

Nothing will help a pedestrian though when crossing when traffic is clear, only to find an old asian lady not noticing a red light at the crosswalk and driving right through, nearly hitting a few people and T-Boning a car, totalling it.

(I only add that useless thing at the end because that old asian lady nearly hit my girlfriend as she was leaving Chinook last night...so I'm a little on the side of Pedestrians this morning. :haha: After she T-boned the car, she hit the median and still hadn't let go of the gas. The police officer that attended the scene mentioned how the one thing he doesn't like about Canada is that anyone can get a license so easy.)

freeweed
Dec 22, 2010, 6:26 PM
Oh absolutely, both sides share the blame. I come to work when it's pitch black out and there are a couple of poorly-lit corners downtown where I often have to be VERY careful lest I get nailed by a car.

But bad drivers exist everywhere, and it astounds me that Calgarians as a whole don't seem to recognize this. Especially in light of the fact that in a car-human collision, the human always loses.

One thing that would help immensely is if people would get off their goddamned cellphones when moving about. Whether driving OR walking. I don't quite understand what it is about them, but cellphones turn some people's brains completely off.

Ramsayfarian
Dec 22, 2010, 6:32 PM
It's a shared responsibility and sometimes you gotta believe that the driver is going to do the right thing as well.

Nothing will help a pedestrian though when crossing when traffic is clear, only to find an old asian lady not noticing a red light at the crosswalk and driving right through, nearly hitting a few people and T-Boning a car, totalling it.

(I only add that useless thing at the end because that old asian lady nearly hit my girlfriend as she was leaving Chinook last night...so I'm a little on the side of Pedestrians this morning. :haha: After she T-boned the car, she hit the median and still hadn't let go of the gas. The police officer that attended the scene mentioned how the one thing he doesn't like about Canada is that anyone can get a license so easy.)

This happened a couple of years ago, but I was parking a truck and trailer in the parking lot of the Church on the hilly part of Edmonton Trail. Some lady clipped a car, lost control and went on to the sidewalk. She managed to fit in between an abundant and a post. Just missed the church and continued down the walkway with the church on her left side and trees to her right and stopped within feet of me.

To this day, I have no idea how she managed to pull that one off. The only damage to her vehicle was from the original accident.

I've lost count have times I've stopped for a pedestrian at a crosswalk and the car in the next lane doesn't. About 2 weeks ago some dumb broad almost took out 4 people on 17th Ave. Luckily, I was watching my mirrors and honked my horn to alert the pedestrians. Scared the shit out of them, but it was better than the alternative. I caught up to her at the first set of lights and she had no clue she almost killed a bunch of people.

Oliver Klozov
Dec 22, 2010, 7:04 PM
There are a number of the embedded crosswalks in Victoria, unfortunately, they do break easily and the issue would be compounded by the use of plows and snow in Calgary.

I thought so too when they were first installed in Canmore but they are now in their second winter, get plowed over regularly and they're still working fine. :yes:

freeweed
Dec 23, 2010, 7:45 PM
I've lost count have times I've stopped for a pedestrian at a crosswalk and the car in the next lane doesn't. About 2 weeks ago some dumb broad almost took out 4 people on 17th Ave. Luckily, I was watching my mirrors and honked my horn to alert the pedestrians. Scared the shit out of them, but it was better than the alternative. I caught up to her at the first set of lights and she had no clue she almost killed a bunch of people.

This may be my #1 concern when it comes to vehicle-pedestrian interactions. Drivers are oblivious to other cars stopping (what, you think I just decided to stop for no reason?) and pedestrians think that if one car has stopped, somehow they'll hold back the others.

Calgarian
Dec 23, 2010, 8:29 PM
This may be my #1 concern when it comes to vehicle-pedestrian interactions. Drivers are oblivious to other cars stopping (what, you think I just decided to stop for no reason?) and pedestrians think that if one car has stopped, somehow they'll hold back the others.

I've almost been hit that way too. Sadly as you are crossing in from of a Toyota Sequoya you don't notice the guy in a small sports car coming up beside him. Unless there is obviously no one else coming, I won't cross, much to the ire of the lone driver who decided to stop and the people behind them. lol

As a pedestrian, the main thing you need to do (even when you are absolutely in the right and should be crossing) is to make eye contact.

I agree about cell phones, I've almost been hit by people turning at a stop sign or light because they were too busy talking on their phone to actually use their eyes and see me while I'm in plain sight.

The Fisher Account
Dec 24, 2010, 3:22 AM
Mayor Nenshi discusses the airport underpass:

Fp1bc7Fghk4

Sorry - new video uploaded. We've fixed the audio issues.

freeweed
Dec 24, 2010, 5:13 AM
That video is a brilliant idea. I've never seen something like this (a mayor just simply explaining the whys and hows of something). Too bad the audio quality is shit, but otherwise I like the under produced quality of it. It makes Nenshi again feel just like a regular person.

Not that I needed convincing, but this video just cements my opinion.

YYCguys
Dec 24, 2010, 3:39 PM
Hmmm the video wouldn't play for me (8:40 am Friday).

mwalker_mw
Dec 24, 2010, 4:02 PM
New link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp1bc7Fghk4

YYCguys
Dec 24, 2010, 4:06 PM
Thanks! :)

Mazrim
Jan 3, 2011, 6:46 PM
That video is a brilliant idea. I've never seen something like this (a mayor just simply explaining the whys and hows of something). Too bad the audio quality is shit, but otherwise I like the under produced quality of it. It makes Nenshi again feel just like a regular person.

Eh, for something which is going to be as big a topic as the airport underpass, something a little more professional looking couldn't have hurt. I'm not sure I buy the whole "underproduced quality helps it" thing. Nenshi doesn't need to star in a B-quality movie to feel like a regular person. His oratory skills do that already.

freeweed
Jan 4, 2011, 6:43 AM
Eh, for something which is going to be as big a topic as the airport underpass, something a little more professional looking couldn't have hurt. I'm not sure I buy the whole "underproduced quality helps it" thing. Nenshi doesn't need to star in a B-quality movie to feel like a regular person. His oratory skills do that already.

I dunno, personally I'm not a fan of civic waste. For a $100 million project (really, small beans in the larger picture of infrastructure in this city) I'm glad they didn't go nuts spending tens of thousands on some slick infomercial type thing. We already piss away enough money on slick mailouts and other needless propaganda - just put the message in the most basic form possible that still gets the complete information out. Not a fan of my own money being spent to convince me with smoke and mirrors.

YMMV.

Mazrim
Jan 4, 2011, 3:44 PM
Oh, I don't want one of those cheesy Bronco paid advertisement style things...just make it look like he isn't doing this from his home basement, maybe better quality video and better visuals, and I'd be satisfied. Little things go a long way. :)

You Need A Thneed
Jan 4, 2011, 3:53 PM
The 48th ave to 36th street connector is open. I drove it on Sunday afternoon, and my life changed!

I think it might be in the top 5 least-used-roads-in-Calgary, but that might pick up, but just a little bit.

YYCguys
Jan 6, 2011, 2:41 PM
Jan. 24th is the date that the REAL cost estimate of the Airport Trail Tunnel will be announced.

Stang
Jan 6, 2011, 3:15 PM
Jan. 24th is the date that the REAL cost estimate of the Airport Trail Tunnel will be announced.

I'm amazed at how many people still think that this tunnel/underpass will be a direct replacement for Barlow (running N/S). When it comes up in casual conversation with friends and family, almost everyone is surprised when I tell them that it goes E/W at Airport Trail and that Barlow to the airport will be gone with or without the tunnel.

Obviously not everyone keeps track of that sort of thing, but for one of those issues that nearly everyone seems to think that we need, many don't seem to know where it will even be.

MalcolmTucker
Jan 6, 2011, 3:32 PM
We don't expect people to know everything about every civic issue - there is a reason we have elections. People know it is an important road because even our transit loving Mayor wants it!

SubwayRev
Jan 6, 2011, 4:40 PM
I'm amazed at how many people still think that this tunnel/underpass will be a direct replacement for Barlow (running N/S). When it comes up in casual conversation with friends and family, almost everyone is surprised when I tell them that it goes E/W at Airport Trail and that Barlow to the airport will be gone with or without the tunnel.

Obviously not everyone keeps track of that sort of thing, but for one of those issues that nearly everyone seems to think that we need, many don't seem to know where it will even be.

I find this too...I tell them it's going to link to Metis, and they say, 'oh no, it's going to be where Barlow is now.' No it isn't. Then they realize they'll never use it.

You Need A Thneed
Jan 6, 2011, 5:04 PM
There will be a tunnel running north/south, but it won't take you to the terminal. It will take you to the westjet office/ cargo area.

Stang
Jan 6, 2011, 5:38 PM
There will be a tunnel running north/south, but it won't take you to the terminal. It will take you to the westjet office/ cargo area.

Out of curiosity, is that one funded by the airport as part of the new runway plans?

You Need A Thneed
Jan 6, 2011, 5:50 PM
Out of curiosity, is that one funded by the airport as part of the new runway plans?

Yup, that one the airport is doing. There might be more tunnels, but not for the public.

If you look at the rendering of the runway on the airport's website, you can see a new taxiway from the end of runway 10/28 across McCall Way to the new runway. But the WestJet campus and the cargo area are inside that, therefore a tunnel is required.

Ferreth
Jan 7, 2011, 2:32 AM
I find this too...I tell them it's going to link to Metis, and they say, 'oh no, it's going to be where Barlow is now.' No it isn't. Then they realize they'll never use it.

The one I feel is overlooked is the people of the deep SE (around 130 Ave and south, east of the Bow River) would mostly end up taking the ring road and Airport Trail during times of congestion on Deerfoot. I work down in that area, and am constantly reminding people that visit us to leave extra time for rush-hour commutes back to the Airport as they'll be stuck in traffic for an extra 1/2 hour, and it's getting worse all the time.

The new housing going in east of 52nd St, some of them would probably be faster all the time going up the ring road instead.

mersar
Jan 8, 2011, 7:07 PM
Fairly major road closure that everyone should be aware of, especially if you use 14th Street SW to get out of the downtown. Starting January 15th until February 15th, 14th Street is completely closed between 9th and 11th avenues for the entire month while water and sanitary main maintenance and upgrades are being done.

Hopefully as part of the reconstruction afterwards they will also be doing the much awaited intersection at that location, making 10th Avenue connect across 14th as was promised to be done before the West LRT opens (so it may not occur yet, but its nice to hope)

freeweed
Jan 9, 2011, 5:26 AM
mersar, thank you very much for this. I forgot to ask about that here - I noticed the signs announcing the closure the other day but they don't have any indication as to why it's being closed, nor anything resembling a duration. From the signs, it's easy to believe 14th is going to be completely closed off forever (not an unheard of thing in this city).

You Need A Thneed
Jan 10, 2011, 5:15 AM
McKnight Blvd this morning just south of the runway had about 3-4 feet of snow across 1.5 of the 2 lanes. I think might be the worst spot for drifting on a major road in Calgary. My email notice from Calgary Transit said that route 85 was skipping going into Saddleridge at all this morning, some of the time at least. I assuming that would be because of drifting as well.

You Need A Thneed
Jan 10, 2011, 5:19 AM
Metis trail was completely closed between 64th and 80th for a while too.

Jimby
Jan 12, 2011, 5:40 AM
Well worth reading in this week's Maclean's - a different way of dealing with an old problem.
If it can work for congested London, why not for compact downtown Calgary or Deerfoot or Glenmore?

stuck-in-traffic (http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/01/11/stuck-in-traffic/)

freeweed
Jan 12, 2011, 3:53 PM
Odd. I drive over 40,000 km a year, much of that in the city, and I never ever get stuck in traffic (other than exceptional weather events or massive accidents).

How do I manage this miracle? Public transit during the rush hour.

Not sure where that story was going, because I lost interest when they started comparing Calgary to Toronto. I assume they were going to talk about things like congestion charges and whatnot. Regardless, anyone who thinks Calgary's traffic is remotely close to Toronto's has never spent much time on the 401. Calgary's roads are a joke compared to Toronto's chaos - which lasts all damn day, not just a brief spike during the rush.

MalcolmTucker
Jan 12, 2011, 4:21 PM
Yeah, in Calgary the most I would want to do is build either a single reversible or one in each direction HOT(High occupancy toll) lane on the Deerfoot. Toronto is just ludicrous - the average commute time is the highest in the english speaking world. Everything moves slow. The Don Valley Parkway (think Deerfoot) backs up on Sunday afternoons.

Doesn't help that things are so far away (the inner city neighborhood of 'the beaches' is at the distance equivalent to heritage Dr from downtown Calgary)

fusili
Jan 12, 2011, 4:39 PM
Yeah, in Calgary the most I would want to do is build either a single reversible or one in each direction HOT(High occupancy toll) lane on the Deerfoot. Toronto is just ludicrous - the average commute time is the highest in the english speaking world. Everything moves slow. The Don Valley Parkway (think Deerfoot) backs up on Sunday afternoons.

Doesn't help that things are so far away (the inner city neighborhood of 'the beaches' is at the distance equivalent to heritage Dr from downtown Calgary)

This is why I get so confused when Torontonians come to Calgary and say "This city is so sprawling" and things such as that. Have none of them ever been on the 401? Toronto is a sprawling, terrible mess. Much, much worse than Calgary.