PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Roads

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Allan83
Sep 4, 2013, 9:16 PM
Anecdotal examples:

LA agreed to add 2,700km of them over 2 years ago at a pace of 320km / year. Sure they started from a weaker base of cycling paths than Calgary but that level of investment is happening across the US. And they are more car-dependent than us by a wide margin.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/03/02/la-bike.html (http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/03/02/la-bike.html)

Here is a smaller city, Eugene Oregon.

35 miles ~56 km. for a city of metro population of 350,000.

http://www.eugene-or.gov/bicycles

Here is a Metro article from this year.

26km of on street bike lanes in Calgary. of a city of 1.2 million people

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/710103/on-street-bike-lanes-remain-largest-gap-in-calgarys-cycling-infrastructure/

Yes I think there is plenty of evidence we are falling behind. The progress we have made is admirable, but it has to continue and expand even faster.
I’m all for expanding it. I’d just like us to do it in a controlled and well thought out way, so we end up with good projects that work and don’t have to be redone.* Expand, but do it smart and do it right, iow. I think a passage under the tracks on or near 7th might be more beneficial than X number of added kms of bike lanes, for example. I haven’t crunched the numbers and I don’t know that it would be for sure, I should add, but in general I think we should focus on doing the right projects for Calgary, rather than trying to keep up with added kms numbers from other cities.

*I don’t mind the 10th Ave experiment, however. It was cheap and I’m sure we learned from it. It worked well for me but I guess it didn’t work for other people.

Doug
Sep 4, 2013, 9:28 PM
Really? I've popped at least 5 tubes on mine now. I think each time its been the rear tube too. Damn. It is a pretty sturdy bike though.

They are pretty good for a hybrid, but I want a nice carbon fibre road bike next year for the Ride to Conquer Cancer. I did it this year and two years ago on the Kona. This year I did really well, but I would get passed on the flats by my friends on road bikes. But then I would crush them on the hills. LOL.

Maybe not the right thread for this, but anyone have recommendations on a good entry-level road bike? I am looking at sub $1500, and I need a big frame (62cm).

In Calgary, rear flats are usually pinch flats from small pieces of gravel. The best avoidance is ensuring tire is always inflated, even slightly over inflated. I average about a flat per day doing road rides around southern Alberta. Down in the Seattle area, I might get one every couple of months.

Carbon fibre is a waste of money unless the rider has very low body fat. The benefits from losing 5 lbs of body weight vastly exceed those of shaving 5 lbs off the bike. The gear is rarely the rate limiting factor. That being said, mountain bikes aren't designed for long road rides. A Giant OCR1 is a good value choice road bike.

I did the Ride to Conquer Cancer in 2010, but haven't had time since. I still do the trip back to Calgary every year for the May Long Weekend Golden Triangle.

Doug
Sep 4, 2013, 9:31 PM
Painted lanes aren't any safer than no lanes. But is the perception of safety worth it?

Especially in Calgary where the paint is hidden under pea gravel, salt and dust for large portions of the year. The curb separation on 7th is the ideal solution in Calgary's climate. A cheaper and more flexible option would be rumble strip separation.

MasterG
Sep 4, 2013, 10:36 PM
I’m all for expanding it. I’d just like us to do it in a controlled and well thought out way, so we end up with good projects that work and don’t have to be redone.* Expand, but do it smart and do it right, iow. I think a passage under the tracks on or near 7th might be more beneficial than X number of added kms of bike lanes, for example. I haven’t crunched the numbers and I don’t know that it would be for sure, I should add, but in general I think we should focus on doing the right projects for Calgary, rather than trying to keep up with added kms numbers from other cities.

*I don’t mind the 10th Ave experiment, however. It was cheap and I’m sure we learned from it. It worked well for me but I guess it didn’t work for other people.

Everyone agrees that cities should build the right infrastructure.

Bike lanes are the right infrastructure and there are many roads, where we can give dedicated space to cyclists without impacting parking or car travel. 10th ave is one of them. There is no reason there shouldn't be full lanes on 10th ave, everyone wins. 2 parking lanes, 2 cycle lanes and 2 auto lanes. No car ever has to give up space. Instead we got 1 lane for 3 hours a day that is full of parked cars resulting in more dangerous situations than if no lane had been there. Complete failure and creates the annoyed driver attitude of "the cyclists aren't even using the lanes!".

If that is Calgary's "right" infrastructure we are farther behind than ever.

I do agree with a slow, thought-out approach in the CBD though. Conflicts are everywhere and the best route has to be chosen the first time. 7th street is brilliant and really well used.

MasterG
Sep 4, 2013, 10:38 PM
Especially in Calgary where the paint is hidden under pear gravel, salt and dust for large portions of the year. The curb separation on 7th is the ideal solution in Calgary's climate. A cheaper and more flexible option would be rumble strip separation.

I agree. Faded paint seems to be a serious problem in Calgary. Even put planters down with reflective markers and move them from street cleaning / snow plowing would do the trick.

fusili
Sep 5, 2013, 1:39 AM
Re: Bike Lanes/Cyclists/Bike Culture Discussion

I think it is hard for anyone to understand why cyclists act the way they do, why they want the infrastructure they do and why they have the behaviors they do until the actually get on a bike and cycle through the city.

Cyclists are not pedestrians and they are not vehicles. Their needs are entirely different. Pedestrian infrastructure is absolutely shit for cyclists, as it makes things slow, inconvenient and meandering, while roads can be dangerous. I can rant for a long time just on how crappy curb cuts are in this city. The point is that bike lanes meet the needs of cyclists which neither roads nor sidewalks do. They are necessary, and until you spend time cycling in the city, you just can't understand it.

fusili
Sep 5, 2013, 1:40 AM
In Calgary, rear flats are usually pinch flats from small pieces of gravel. The best avoidance is ensuring tire is always inflated, even slightly over inflated. I average about a flat per day doing road rides around southern Alberta. Down in the Seattle area, I might get one every couple of months.

Thanks for the advice. I always keep a patch kit and a spare tube in my bag, but it's hard to keep my tires fully inflated with just a hand pump. I am thinking of buying some C02 cartridges and keeping them with me so I can fully inflate the tubes.

Fuzz
Sep 5, 2013, 3:13 AM
Thanks for the advice. I always keep a patch kit and a spare tube in my bag, but it's hard to keep my tires fully inflated with just a hand pump. I am thinking of buying some C02 cartridges and keeping them with me so I can fully inflate the tubes.

Buy a $25 floor pump from MEC or some other bike shop. Well worth it. I just top mine up every couple weeks. WAY better than a hand pump. I've been commuting 12km/day for 10 years and had one flat...

Fuzz
Sep 5, 2013, 3:26 AM
....I'd use the bike lane myself if it aligned with my commute, but it doesn't. Edit: I should mention that my observations occur as a pedestrian at the height of the morning and afternoon rush hours. And today at noon I crossed the bike path using the +15 and waited 5 minutes. Hundreds of pedestrians and cars. A couple cross traffic bikes. And zero bikes in the bike lane. Sure, most don't use bikes to go for lunch, but it's the same during the rush hours. Instead of spending a fortune of taxpayer money ripping up the road and pouring concrete barriers I think removable flower pots and a little line painting would have been more $ effective. Perhaps it'll eventually get used, but if it doesn't then we don't have to waste more money changing it back to a road.

Honestly, I think allowing bikes to legally use sidewalks is often the better solution. Perhaps some people don't realize that only people 14 years old and under can legally use a sidewalk as a bike path (at least that's what I was taught in my bike safety course years ago). I think that's really much of the problem. People often assume they know the law when they don't. Sure you aren't allowed to hit a bike, but bikes aren't allowed to take up lanes of traffic, drive side by side, go the wrong way on 1 way streets or run red lights! (please correct me if the laws have changed. With facts though, not just opinions of laws). Perhaps a lawyer in the crowd can clarify things for us about what is and isn't allowed.

If a low speed limit was set on sidewalks when pedestrians were present, and bikers had the courtesy to warn people when they pass then sidewalks are the best option. Sure - there would be conflicts too, but many bikers use sidewalks illegally now anyway.

Your observations must involve a blindfold. I ride that lane every day since it opened, and there are ALWAYS other cyclists on it. ALWAYS. At 7:15 AM, I usually ride with 4-5 through the core. That's every light cycle, not just a fluke. At 4:15pm there are often more than 5. A few days I have taken it at 2pm and was expecting it empty. Not so. Its also not a very busy road traffic wise, and hasn't caused any negative impacts to traffic flow. Its far safer, and I see types of cyclists on it that never would have braved 7th street before with its sketchy left and right turn lanes onto 5th and 6th. I've had to many close calls to count, riding within the law. Its an absolute success.

Speaking of law, cyclists are well within it to take up a lane. The traffic laws state that a cyclist should ride as far to the right as is safe to do so. This often means "taking a lane". Keeping clear of the door zone is very important. As is avoiding gutter hazards and lane crowding. Your suggestion of riding on sidewalks is also absolutely wrong. Do some quick research and you will find out why. Its dangerous for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists. It is by far the worst solution.

It sounds like you mean well with your comments, but I think you need to spend a few days in the shoes of a cyclist. Ride within the law(as many of us do) and just watch how your fellow motorists attempt to take your life every chance they get. . .whether on purpose or not.

Mazrim
Sep 5, 2013, 3:37 PM
This discussion is an interesting blame game. Cyclists say motorists are the problem, motorists saying cyclists are the problem. No one wins in the end. We have a long way to go in Calgary before both sides can see the other properly.

Doug
Sep 5, 2013, 4:06 PM

CO2 cartridges have a few problems:
-expensive
-unreliable as you often get ones that are duds
-not great for environment as leave behind a metal canister
-wastefull for only partially filling tires (hard to not discharge entire canister when only need to use it for a top up)

The MEC floor pump is the easiest way to ensure inlfation. My road bike calls for 100 PSI, but around Calgary I use 110 PSI with great success at avoiding pinch flats. You can get compact pumps to carry with you to manage flats and to top up tires. Most of them have two settings: one to rapidly fill tire part way and then a switch for high pressure that requires much more strenuous action to fully inflate. I agree they are a lot of work, but if you get a flat all you need to do is get enough inflation to make it rideable and then use the floor pump when you get home. That works around the city if you are only a few km from home, but if you are doing long road rides, you need to invest the effort in over inlfation or risk getting another flat.

Cities like Denver, Portland and Seattle have inflation stations with free air compressors.

fusili
Sep 5, 2013, 4:35 PM
Buy a $25 floor pump from MEC or some other bike shop. Well worth it. I just top mine up every couple weeks. WAY better than a hand pump. I've been commuting 12km/day for 10 years and had one flat...

CO2 cartridges have a few problems:
-expensive
-unreliable as you often get ones that are duds
-not great for environment as leave behind a metal canister
-wastefull for only partially filling tires (hard to not discharge entire canister when only need to use it for a top up)

The MEC floor pump is the easiest way to ensure inlfation. My road bike calls for 100 PSI, but around Calgary I use 110 PSI with great success at avoiding pinch flats. You can get compact pumps to carry with you to manage flats and to top up tires. Most of them have two settings: one to rapidly fill tire part way and then a switch for high pressure that requires much more strenuous action to fully inflate. I agree they are a lot of work, but if you get a flat all you need to do is get enough inflation to make it rideable and then use the floor pump when you get home. That works around the city if you are only a few km from home, but if you are doing long road rides, you need to invest the effort in over inlfation or risk getting another flat.

Cities like Denver, Portland and Seattle have inflation stations with free air compressors.

Thanks for the advice. Will look into getting a floor pump. :tup:

You Need A Thneed
Sep 5, 2013, 5:54 PM
Airport Trail Tunnel Pictures from CH2MHill website:

http://www.ch2mhill.com/corporate/_galleries/calgary/1.jpg
http://www.ch2mhill.com/corporate/_galleries/calgary/2.jpg
http://www.ch2mhill.com/corporate/_galleries/calgary/3.jpg
http://www.ch2mhill.com/corporate/_galleries/calgary/4.jpg

Spring2008
Sep 6, 2013, 4:06 PM
Here's another good one from the Manning foundation! While I do agree with some of his points, he seems to be implying that sprawl is the solution to reducing congestion/commute times on our roads:uhh:

I do think we need to start widening some of our main roads though.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/planned+inner+city/8875180/story.html

Seymour: Why city hall doesn’t care that our roads are congested

BY DAVID SEYMOUR, CALGARY HERALD SEPTEMBER

Crawling traffic is tolerated like almost no other frustration. If home appliances flickered dim every time too many people tried to use electricity, there would be outrage, and yet Calgarians tolerate a 66-minute average round trip commute as though a world without congestion is impossible to imagine.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. What if it was possible to arrive at your destination, point to point, without congestion delay? That seems to be what most people would like. Congestion, roads, traffic and parking is the No. 1 concern of Calgarians, according to a large poll by the Manning Foundation conducted last October, and the City of Calgary’s most recent Citizen Satisfaction Survey.

However, the city has long since given up on such a goal. Despite the 2011 census showing that 77 per cent of work trips in Calgary were made by car (unchanged since the 2006 census), the city’s goals range from avoiding the problem to actively opposing private vehicle travel.

Of seven stated transportation goals in the Calgary Transportation Plan, three involve “reducing the average distance travelled by automobiles,” “reduc(ing) vehicular travel” and “reducing vehicle trip distances.” The other four are a mixture of providing alternative transport modes, changing the shape of the city and, more sensibly, using infrastructure efficiently.

If you’re one of the 77 per cent, then at best the city has forgotten about you. There is not even one goal in the plan that says “reduce commute times for those who choose private vehicle travel.” At worst, the city is practising chief planner Rollin Stanley’s maxim that “congestion is good.”

“What it does in some areas is to force people to slow down,” explained Stanley. “It forces them to think about alternative transit, like biking, walking or mass transit. It also helps retail because people are on foot, and they’re going slower ...”

To be fair to Stanley, that quote is from before he was Calgary’s chief planner, and his madness has some method. The quote finishes: “If you think of any environment that people truly like and want to go to, such as London, Paris or New York — they are congested. They are places where you can’t use your car.”

Forgetting whether most people want or can afford to live in the congested centres of those cities, it seems that city hall has dialed down traffic engineering for a healthy dollop of social engineering.

Putting aside the old-fashioned notion that city policies should align with citizen concerns, is the goal of getting people (other people, of course) out of their cars even viable? The international evidence says that doubling density would reduce vehicle travel by as little as five per cent per person. Twice as many people driving in the same space doesn’t sound like a solution to congestion.

The city hall bureaucrats try anyway, because they believe mobility has reached a high-water mark in history, and must be curtailed. The assumption grows from the old beliefs that “we can’t build our way out of congestion,” that we need to save land (even in Alberta), and that cars will destroy the planet, even as technology looks set to provide a new golden age in transport technology.

Electric vehicles are now getting the equivalent of over 100 miles per gallon. Serious big carmakers are promising driverless vehicles by the end of the decade. These precisely controlled vehicles could make better use of road space while increasing safety. They’d also free up commuter time for activities other than staring at the car in front. They could park themselves somewhere less crowded when they’re not needed.

Innovative systems like Car2Go are transforming the way that people own cars, while services such as Carma Carpooling and Fastcab are changing the way that people access rides. Calgary is already making some use of intelligent transportation systems that manage traffic flow in real time by informing drivers of congestion and changing traffic light sequences, but more can be done.

The growing technological ability to charge road users for their exact time and place of use has been shown to significantly reduce congestion in Stockholm, Sweden, as users respond to price signals. Such charges are also fairer because the direct beneficiaries of roads pay more of the cost.

Importantly, road user charges can provide revenue for road upgrades where they are needed, perhaps built as public-private partnerships, rather than where the ideology of master planners would prefer them.

Far from needing to solve congestion by making it so bad that people stop trying to drive, there is an opportunity for the city to change its goals to align with voter preferences and make Calgary a centre for technology-driven mobility. Such an approach needn’t mean abandoning transit, but simply taking a modern approach that supports Calgarians’ mobility choices.

David Seymour is the Senior Fellow in Municipal Governance at the Manning Foundation for Democratic Education. His latest report, Decongestion: Getting Calgary Moving, is available at www.manningfoundation.org.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald Buy this article at www.HeraldContentMarketplace.com

fusili
Sep 6, 2013, 4:45 PM
There is just so much wrong about that article I don't know where to start. Facepalm.

EDIT- Just so, so, so much wrong with that report. The guy has no clue whatsoever how travel works in a city and the report is full of horrible contradictions and counter-productive suggestions.

simster3
Sep 6, 2013, 5:20 PM
So would the Manning Centre seriously consider tolls for the roads. I consider the high price of parking in downtown to be equivalent to a toll and acts as a deterrent for people to drive, which it should. Also, his assertion that doubling the density of the city only decreases commutes by 5% is ridiculous as, if the space/investment in, transit infrastructure would be able to accommodate all of those people a lot more efficiently than roads. The density won't just increase twofold evenly across the city, it will grow greater in areas that are better equipped for the increase, such as TOD. His whole argument is silly and I think that the city is doing the right thing to encourage people to not be in cars.

fusili
Sep 6, 2013, 5:26 PM
So would the Manning Centre seriously consider tolls for the roads. I consider the high price of parking in downtown to be equivalent to a toll and acts as a deterrent for people to drive, which it should. Also, his assertion that doubling the density of the city only decreases commutes by 5% is ridiculous as, if the space/investment in, transit infrastructure would be able to accommodate all of those people a lot more efficiently than roads. The density won't just increase twofold evenly across the city, it will grow greater in areas that are better equipped for the increase, such as TOD. His whole argument is silly and I think that the city is doing the right thing to encourage people to not be in cars.

That idea is the same ridiculous idea as the idea that redevelopment has a greater impact on sewer infrastructure than greenfield development. Here is an example. If we put 1000 new units in Killarney (densification), it will create an additional burden on Bow Trail, 17th Ave etc. If we put those same 1000 units in Aspen Woods (sprawl), not only will it burden Bow Trail, 17th ave etc, it will also put additional burdens "upstream" on those roads. So, yeah, densification, even with no impact whatsoever on transit, reduces travel distances (the goal Seymour loathes so much), and therefore, reduces average travel times.

5seconds
Sep 6, 2013, 5:32 PM
The assumption grows from the old beliefs that “we can’t build our way out of congestion,”

I thought that the old belief was that you COULD build your way out of congestion...? Wasn't that the whole point of the freeway boom of the 1950s-1970s?

fusili
Sep 6, 2013, 5:38 PM
I thought that the old belief was that you COULD build your way out of congestion...? Wasn't that the whole point of the freeway boom of the 1950s-1970s?

Exactly. Name me a city that has spent lots on freeway construction that has seen average travel times decrease. Not a one.

Name me a city that has done the opposite (limit freeway construction, focus on transit expansion) and saw average travel times decrease: Vancouver.

DoubleK
Sep 6, 2013, 5:59 PM
There is just so much wrong about that article I don't know where to start. Facepalm.

EDIT- Just so, so, so much wrong with that report. The guy has no clue whatsoever how travel works in a city and the report is full of horrible contradictions and counter-productive suggestions.

My brain still hurts after reading it this morning. Not only are the ideas and suggestions complete hogwash, the document itself is so horribly laid out and formatted it is difficult to read.

edit. The document the editorial is based on is on the Manning website.

MichaelS
Sep 6, 2013, 6:53 PM
Exactly. Name me a city that has spent lots on freeway construction that has seen average travel times decrease. Not a one.

Detroit... :shrug:;)

Edit: I really have no idea how much Detroit has spent on freeway construction. But I assume based on their "decline" traffic has probably gotten lighter and therefore it is easier and faster to get around. Ah Detroit, the exception to many rules and statistics, for all the wrong reasons.

fusili
Sep 6, 2013, 7:14 PM
My brain still hurts after reading it this morning. Not only are the ideas and suggestions complete hogwash, the document itself is so horribly laid out and formatted it is difficult to read.

edit. The document the editorial is based on is on the Manning website.

I browsed the report, but will read it in detail later. Some ideas, such as congestion pricing (time sensitive pricing), removing taxi regulation, or road tolls do have marked and proven results. Removing transit subsidies or lifting the downtown parking ban, on the other hand, do not.

fusili
Sep 6, 2013, 7:15 PM
Further on this topic, here is an article in Wired about congestion pricing that is actually based on good research:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/05/ff_komanoff_traffic/

fusili
Sep 6, 2013, 8:04 PM
I read the entire report. Why oh why did I read the entire report. I had to double facepalm on several occasions. At one point, I wished I had a third hand so I could triple facepalm.

fusili
Sep 6, 2013, 8:22 PM
Ok, last post on this. Here is a direct quote that is just horribly factually incorrect:

In Calgary, it has been claimed that the
airport precinct is a larger employment district than
is the downtown

Central area: 268K jobs
Northeast: 97K jobs
(these are large quadrants, but the CDB has the majority of jobs in the central quadrant. The airport may have a majority in the northeast sector)

Do your f&*king research man.

craner
Sep 7, 2013, 2:53 AM
I just want Crowchild fixed from 24th to 17th.:)

craner
Sep 7, 2013, 2:57 AM

Name me a city that has done the opposite (limit freeway construction, focus on transit expansion) and saw average travel times decrease: Vancouver.

Funny, whenever I'm in Vancouver I find it very frustrating to get around in.
Haven't been in at least 5 years though.

craner
Sep 7, 2013, 3:02 AM
I found this to be a funny quote from Stanley:
“If you think of any environment that people truly like and want to go to, such as London, Paris or New York — they are congested. They are places where you can’t use your car.”

suburbia
Sep 7, 2013, 5:29 AM
Ok, last post on this. Here is a direct quote that is just horribly factually incorrect:

In Calgary, it has been claimed that the
airport precinct is a larger employment district than
is the downtown

Central area: 268K jobs
Northeast: 97K jobs
(these are large quadrants, but the CDB has the majority of jobs in the central quadrant. The airport may have a majority in the northeast sector)

Do your f&*king research man.

Fusili - where can I find that data. I'm curious about the boundaries they've used. The Central area you're counting has got to be wayyyyy more than downtown. Some people even include hubs like foothills hospital and SAIT in the central district, which when you're talking about "downtown" is really not fair.

Most data specifically about Calgary downtown usually puts the figure at 150K jobs, give or take. This website says it is some over 140K:
http://www.calgarydowntown.com/resources/facts.html

Overall in Calgary, it is estimated there are about 750,000 jobs, meaning 1/6 are in downtown, and 5/6 are split between the traditional NE, NW, SE and SW, with each of those individually having more jobs than the core.

BTW - "quadrants" usually implies four, so if there is a 'central district', which of the NW, SE or SW did they eliminate in the document you were quoting?

fusili
Sep 7, 2013, 7:24 AM
Funny, whenever I'm in Vancouver I find it very frustrating to get around in.
Haven't been in at least 5 years though.

This is the fundamental problem: does moving quickly (mobility) equate to being able to get to a lot of places (accessibility)? Sure, Vancouver is hard to get around in while driving a car, but the number and density of amenities is higher, so driving a 5 blocks in downtown Vancouver may be equivalent to driving 25 blocks in Phoenix in terms of the number of destinations available (an exaggeration obviously).

A more extreme example. In midtown Manhattan, in a 10 minute walking radius, you can access far more stores, amenities, office space, residential units, etc than you can in a 30 minute driving radius in Houston.

Driving is a means to an end. Don't measure the means, measure the ends.

fusili
Sep 7, 2013, 7:26 AM
I found this to be a funny quote from Stanley:
“If you think of any environment that people truly like and want to go to, such as London, Paris or New York — they are congested. They are places where you can’t use your car.”

Not a funny quote. Think of any extremely successful urban district. Times square is hard to drive around. As is Calle Preciados in Madrid. Or Yonge Street in Toronto. Etc etc. The quote is misleading as it suggests that congestion is what causes them to be desirable, when it is in fact the opposite- being desirable is what causes congestion.

Full Mountain
Sep 8, 2013, 7:51 AM
After sitting through Paris traffic this week on our way to our hotel from Orly, I can tell you Calgary traffic is nothing, a 20 min (20km) journey took just about 2 hours because of grid lock.

MasterG
Sep 8, 2013, 3:26 PM
After sitting through Paris traffic this week on our way to our hotel from Orly, I can tell you Calgary traffic is nothing, a 20 min (20km) journey took just about 2 hours because of grid lock.

Agreed. A recent trip to Los Angeles, Venice Beach (with real parking problems, makes Calgary a dream) to Hollywood is 20 km. 2 hour trip. Calgary has nothing like the traffic of these places

AB Born
Sep 11, 2013, 9:17 PM
I found out that 52 St SE will open south of Mahogany Gate to Seton Boulevard on Oct 1, connecting Seton to the rest of the world. Good timing becuase I think Save On Foods opens sometime in Oct.

You Need A Thneed
Sep 11, 2013, 10:56 PM
36 th Street is open between CHB and 80th, but it's setup to only allow right turns. So don't try to take it NB and expect to get on CHB westbound towards the airport. It's also still only open with two lanes, as crews are still doing lots of work.

Acey
Sep 12, 2013, 12:11 AM
I think a McKnight/12 St NE is one of the best bang-for-your-buck interchanges the city could build right now. It's not going to be fun, but the McKnight ramps backing up have a very detrimental effect on Deerfoot. The SB-EB loop backs up to 64th Ave, all thanks to that intersection.

I found out that 52 St SE will open south of Mahogany Gate to Seton Boulevard on Oct 1, connecting Seton to the rest of the world. Good timing becuase I think Save On Foods opens sometime in Oct.

This is good news, it'd have been semi-bad if the Deerfoot/22X interchange was ready in time for Oct 1 (which it won't be) and then 52 St down to Seton wasn't done. It'd be pretty hard to get to the hospital.

Innersoul1
Sep 19, 2013, 5:55 PM
I am curious as to how the scheduling of road construction works in the city. I noted this year that extensive grinding and paving of many roads around the city took place right at the beginning of September. The timing seems to be REALLY off given that levels of traffic greatly increase at the beginning of September with the back to school crowds. Is there any reason why this work can't take place during August?

Cage
Sep 19, 2013, 7:39 PM
I am curious as to how the scheduling of road construction works in the city.

OUtside of a general prohibition on roadwork during the Stampede, I am lead to believe there is nothing of a coordinated schedule for road work.

RyLucky
Sep 19, 2013, 9:59 PM
OUtside of a general prohibition on roadwork during the Stampede, I am lead to believe there is nothing of a coordinated schedule for road work.

I am lead to agree. Also, I'm no expert on road repairs, but it seems as though roads are often grated down and repaired when they were never in bad shape to begin with. I'd also like to see a bit more attention to the sides of the roads (where bicycles go) so that a cyclist doesn't get his tire stuck in a protruding sewer grate and fly in front of my car.

Acey
Sep 19, 2013, 11:13 PM
Herein lies the problem with having only access to Evanston. Crash on NB Beddington right overhead Stoney, and I'm passing under Beddington on CHB and still can't see the end of the backup. This is not okay.

ken0042
Sep 19, 2013, 11:49 PM
Does anybody know what they are doing to the big traffic circle in McKenzie Towne? What really scares me is with what had been removed it's alomst like they are getting ready to put in traffic lights.

It scares me because any issues there could be solved with the police doing an "education" blitz. Meaning people wanting to enter who honk at people going around the outside; those people need to be taught that the only cars that the outside people need to yield to are the ones on the inside lane.

Acey
Sep 20, 2013, 12:41 AM
Bulldoze it and build a normal intersection. Less heartache.

Full Mountain
Sep 20, 2013, 1:53 PM
Does anybody know what they are doing to the big traffic circle in McKenzie Towne? What really scares me is with what had been removed it's alomst like they are getting ready to put in traffic lights.

It scares me because any issues there could be solved with the police doing an "education" blitz. Meaning people wanting to enter who honk at people going around the outside; those people need to be taught that the only cars that the outside people need to yield to are the ones on the inside lane.

When I went through there last night it looked like they were moving the crosswalks back about 5' and good improvement IMO

freeweed
Sep 20, 2013, 2:30 PM
Herein lies the problem with having only access to Evanston. Crash on NB Beddington right overhead Stoney, and I'm passing under Beddington on CHB and still can't see the end of the backup. This is not okay.

This is why I can't understand why anyone would have moved in there.

rajuncaucasian
Sep 20, 2013, 7:09 PM

They are doing pedestrian crossing improvements, which will be a wanted upgrade for both drivers and pedestrians.

http://shanekeating.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-reminder.html

speedog
Sep 21, 2013, 2:48 PM
Is there not a second way in/out via 144th Avenue NW over to Centre Street?

shreddog
Oct 2, 2013, 4:26 AM
In a rare event, I was driving home to Tuxedo today from the core during rush hour and noticed something very peculiar. Centre st. has 3 lanes north during the afternoon rush with the right lane reserved for bus, taxi and 2+ HOV cars. Yet about 80% of the cars in the right lane had only one person in them. At one time I counted 9 cars in a row with only the driver ..

So the question is: Are Calgarians oblivious to the HOV signs (they are small), unaware of HOV or just selfish??? And should the city do a better job of marking the lanes and showcasing the 2+ HOV requirement??

FYI, as a single occupant vehicle, I was in the middle lane.

Acey
Oct 2, 2013, 5:04 AM
Province should consider adding another lane both ways on Deerfoot between 16 Ave NE and Beddington. It'll fit in the median. Heck, make it a HOV lane.

I think you can go that way. But it's not remotely practical.

ByeByeBaby
Oct 2, 2013, 5:51 AM
In a rare event, I was driving home to Tuxedo today from the core during rush hour and noticed something very peculiar. Centre st. has 3 lanes north during the afternoon rush with the right lane reserved for bus, taxi and 2+ HOV cars. Yet about 80% of the cars in the right lane had only one person in them. At one time I counted 9 cars in a row with only the driver ..

So the question is: Are Calgarians oblivious to the HOV signs (they are small), unaware of HOV or just selfish??? And should the city do a better job of marking the lanes and showcasing the 2+ HOV requirement??

We have one of the highest educated populations in North America, and drivers in most other jurisdictions have figured out HOV lanes without a problem. I suggest that if someone is too careless or clueless to notice or understand a standard traffic sign, they are too careless or clueless to be allowed to operate a two ton machine travelling up to 110 km/h.

The problem is enforcement -- if a dozen cameras went up, one every 2-3 blocks, and people started getting $60 tickets if they appeared in two adjacent images with a solo driver only, the lane would be respected real quick. The deeper problem is NIMBYism and the driver monopoly mentality -- converting a lane to HOV and bus use is and actually enforcing it would have caused a public outcry (even though it would move more people faster -- the shoulder lanes on Centre St probably move more people than any other lane of roadway in the city). So, instead, the signs went up but nobody enforced the rules. And now, we're in a tough position where if you start ticketing people for breaking the law without a big public outreach campaign, people will get upset because they've broken the law dozens of times before without sanction.

And the same thing is now happening on 9th in Inglewood.

speedog
Oct 2, 2013, 11:57 AM
I think you can go that way. But it's not remotely practical.

So sitting in a traffic jam for 20 minutes or more to get out the other way in the morning is?

You Need A Thneed
Oct 2, 2013, 1:51 PM

I was going to say this too. However, in Inglewood, the signs are almost non existent for stretches. However, there is lots of cars driving in the shoulder lane during the time restriction.

Acey
Oct 2, 2013, 2:48 PM
So sitting in a traffic jam for 20 minutes or more to get out the other way in the morning is?

Was referring specifically to the example of the crash on Beddington, you might as well take your chances and take Beddington to get into Evanston until they build the 14 St interchange... unless you're coming from WB Stoney. To get out, I dunno... I don't live there. The SB-EB loop at HHB is definitely under-utilized though.

MasterG
Oct 2, 2013, 4:06 PM
Province should consider adding another lane both ways on Deerfoot between 16 Ave NE and Beddington. It'll fit in the median. Heck, make it a HOV lane.

Agreed with this. I took a trip recently to Salt Lake city and was amazed on the HOV lanes they have on the main N-S throughfare. Essentially it is a dynamically priced HOV lane that is free with 2+ but charges you with cameras per KM you are in it otherwise. The cool part is how long it was (an analogy to the Airdrie to Mackenzie Towne / Seton distance on deerfoot) and that it had dynamic pricing.

0.25$ - 1$ per mile based on live congestion tracking. Morning Rush-hour southbound? $1 per km, afternoon in uncongested areas ? $0.25

This is the next step for Deerfoot. The revenue can be used to upgrade interchanges, expand crossings and integrate with Transit / bus connector routes.

It seems like a simple and effective way to dramatically change the commute patterns and I can't see it being prohibitively expensive (i.e. 2 billion dollar ring road, 2 billion dollar LRT etc.) . The revenues can help pay for big ticket items like that

sim
Oct 2, 2013, 5:02 PM
Agreed with this. I took a trip recently to Salt Lake city and was amazed on the HOV lanes they have on the main N-S throughfare. Essentially it is a dynamically priced HOV lane that is free with 2+ but charges you with cameras per KM you are in it otherwise. The cool part is how long it was (an analogy to the Airdrie to Mackenzie Towne / Seton distance on deerfoot) and that it had dynamic pricing.

0.25$ - 1$ per mile based on live congestion tracking. Morning Rush-hour southbound? $1 per km, afternoon in uncongested areas ? $0.25

This is the next step for Deerfoot. The revenue can be used to upgrade interchanges, expand crossings and integrate with Transit / bus connector routes.

It seems like a simple and effective way to dramatically change the commute patterns and I can't see it being prohibitively expensive (i.e. 2 billion dollar ring road, 2 billion dollar LRT etc.) . The revenues can help pay for big ticket items like that

HOT lanes.

Cage
Oct 2, 2013, 6:48 PM

Evanston is getting sacrificed on the alter of no intersections allowed ever on the Calgary or Edmonton Ring Roads, the edict from Alberta Transportation.

The city (having blown its MSI funds on Airport Trail Tunnel Project) would like for the developer to pay for part if not all of the intersection at Stoney and 14th street. This is the natural progression for roads in Calgary. However developers do not pay for interchanges (what the province requires). If the city went to province looking for more cash, the province would bring up the afore mentioned MSI arguement.

I do not think the solution for Evanston is the 14th Street interchange because its and interchange does not go anywhere except to small strip mall with Timmies, Co-op Gas Station (all ready got one in Creekside), pub, dance studio, and couple other small retail.

Part of the solution (as mentioned above) is for the city to build out 144th Avenue to Centre street. I believe council can force the developer to pay for upgrade to major road status. Holy smoke I begining to sound like Nenshi. :help: Someone get me a purple shirt and tie; put it on Cal Wenzel's tab. :cheers:

The other part of the solution is to tie in Symons Valley Parkway to Shaganappi Trail and provide a third access point to cross the moat that has become Stoney Trail. Again the developers in the area can pay for the upgrade to major road status.

This is why I can't understand why anyone would have moved in there.

Evanston and Kincora were planned prior to the openning of Stoney Trail. It was at the openning of Stoney Tr NW and NE the province issued the no stop light (intersection) edict.

Evanston is not the only community with a traffic problem created by no stop light intersection rule. They are just the only community with this problem in Calgary. In Edmonton, the entire3 SW and West portions of Henday have similar problems. For example in Edmonton the communities are MacEwan and Twin Brooks with no chance of a 2nd interchange being built at 119th street. Edmonton has about half dozen communities with a dog in this hunt.

144th Ave is availablr however its a dirt road from Evanston to Centre Street.

lubicon
Oct 2, 2013, 7:07 PM

It's the 'me first' thing that has become so prevalent. I don't know if this is a Calgary thing or is happening everywhere.

Acey
Oct 2, 2013, 11:14 PM
The extra lane on Deerfoot could fix the merge on NB Deerfoot at McKnight and the weave at Beddington. 3 lanes NB right against the median and then there's room to separate the outside lane from the 3 with that wire median thing they like so much. A poor man's C/D system.

144th Ave is availablr however its a dirt road from Evanston to Centre Street.

Ah, that explains why nobody goes that way.

The city (having blown its MSI funds on Airport Trail Tunnel Project)

Yeah... I have no issue with this. McKnight is an utter disaster and needs relief far more than Evanston.

shreddog
Oct 3, 2013, 6:33 AM
We have one of the highest educated populations in North America, and drivers in most other jurisdictions have figured out HOV lanes without a problem....

The problem is enforcement ... The deeper problem is NIMBYism and the driver monopoly mentality ...I know the natural reaction is to blame the drivers, and I certainly felt that way, but in their defence the signage is small and we have yet to truly establish the HOV car culture in Calgary.

This is a case where I would certainly advocate better/bigger signage for the HOV lane (perhaps a couple lit signs during HOV hours?) along with some serious enforcement blitzes.

At one time I did count 9 single occupancy cars in a row and they included the full spectrum of drivers; young-old, male-female, etc. Some certainly seemed like the "me first" crowd whereas others seemed oblivious (then why are they driving??).

Again, better signage and serious enforcement would go a long way!!!

Anyway, this was a rare drive for me, so perhaps it was just a one of on that day :uhh:

shreddog
Oct 3, 2013, 6:34 AM
It's the 'me first' thing that has become so prevalent. I don't know if this is a Calgary thing or is happening everywhere.CPS should definitely include this as part of the "traffic laws enforcement" program and reap a big increase in revenues!

Acey
Oct 3, 2013, 1:18 PM
What is the fine in Calgary for being in that HOV lane? Or is it just a bylaw infraction. It'd be in CPS' best interests to start enforcing it.

H.E.Pennypacker
Oct 3, 2013, 2:52 PM
Anyone else think that if McCall Lake GC is closed and sold for development, that it would be a prime opportunity for the City to fix and redesign the cluster**** that is McKnight/32nd Ave interchanges as they approach Deerfoot??

You Need A Thneed
Oct 3, 2013, 2:59 PM
Anyone else think that if McCall Lake GC is closed and sold for development, that it would be a prime opportunity for the City to fix and redesign the cluster**** that is McKnight/32nd Ave interchanges as they approach Deerfoot??

Nope.

Full Mountain
Oct 3, 2013, 3:12 PM
We have one of the highest educated populations in North America, and drivers in most other jurisdictions have figured out HOV lanes without a problem. I suggest that if someone is too careless or clueless to notice or understand a standard traffic sign, they are too careless or clueless to be allowed to operate a two ton machine travelling up to 110 km/h.

The problem is enforcement -- if a dozen cameras went up, one every 2-3 blocks, and people started getting $60 tickets if they appeared in two adjacent images with a solo driver only, the lane would be respected real quick. The deeper problem is NIMBYism and the driver monopoly mentality -- converting a lane to HOV and bus use is and actually enforcing it would have caused a public outcry (even though it would move more people faster -- the shoulder lanes on Centre St probably move more people than any other lane of roadway in the city). So, instead, the signs went up but nobody enforced the rules. And now, we're in a tough position where if you start ticketing people for breaking the law without a big public outreach campaign, people will get upset because they've broken the law dozens of times before without sanction.

There is no reason that we can't enforce most traffic laws by camera, except everyone seems to think they are cash cows...:runaway:

Full Mountain
Oct 3, 2013, 3:14 PM

Not sure how McCall lake would help that given the development already between there and Deerfoot. Now Fox Hollow on the other hand would certainly help.

DoubleK
Oct 3, 2013, 3:59 PM
Anyone else think that if McCall Lake GC is closed

I think if McCall Lake is closed our politicians need to be shot.

Cage
Oct 3, 2013, 4:04 PM

Too complicated and likely too expensive for the city to accomplish.

To make any headway on the Deerfoot/32nd,/McKnight issues:
- Remove the intersection at McKnight and 12th.
- New intersection at Aviation Rd(15th Street) and McKnight.
- New major road 15th Street from McKnight to 32nd.
- New intersection at 15th Street and 40th Ave as the primary entrance into the industrial park.
- Remove the north side of the intersection at 12 Street and 32nd.
- New intersection at 15th Street (new road) and 32nd to be about where the McCall Lake entrance is currently located.

The payoff for all this work is that key choke point intersections are moved farther to the east. Too much resource for not enough payoff, IMHO.

You Need A Thneed
Oct 3, 2013, 4:16 PM
Too complicated and likely too expensive for the city to accomplish.

To make any headway on the Deerfoot/32nd,/McKnight issues:
- Remove the intersection at McKnight and 12th.
- New intersection at Aviation Rd(15th Street) and McKnight.
- New major road 15th Street from McKnight to 32nd.
- New intersection at 15th Street and 40th Ave as the primary entrance into the industrial park.
- Remove the north side of the intersection at 12 Street and 32nd.
- New intersection at 15th Street (new road) and 32nd to be about where the McCall Lake entrance is currently located.

The payoff for all this work is that key choke point intersections are moved farther to the east. Too much resource for not enough payoff, IMHO.

McKnight/12th should be an interchange, not an intersection. This will be built like this: flyover of 12th Street over Mcknight. Right in right outs to 14th street on the south side, and 15th street on the North side. Widen roads as necessary.

I think your 15th Street going all the way through could work, but I would align it with 12th Street south of 32nd Ave. No sense adding another light along 32nd Ave, One 4 point intersection is better than two three point intersections.

Redesign the 32nd Ave Deerfoot interchange. Perhaps a diverging diamond interchange would work here.

fusili
Oct 3, 2013, 4:23 PM
I think if McCall Lake is closed our politicians need to be shot.

I, too, like losing hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in maintenance costs.

DizzyEdge
Oct 3, 2013, 4:44 PM
Re HOV lanes
The CPS do enforce it occasionally, I've seen them on 9th ave in inglewood pulling people over. It's like shooting fish in a barrel, where maybe 50% or more of the people coming down the outside lane are pulled over, they could probably fund their entire budget just on HOV lane fines.

Acey
Oct 4, 2013, 12:22 AM
Forget McKnight... get serious about Airport Trail and funnel everyone up there... build a loop WB-SB there and widen the bridge. Interchanges along Airport Trail from Deerfoot through to Stoney. It'll be cheaper in the end.

Full Mountain
Oct 4, 2013, 2:30 PM
Re HOV lanes
The CPS do enforce it occasionally, I've seen them on 9th ave in inglewood pulling people over. It's like shooting fish in a barrel, where maybe 50% or more of the people coming down the outside lane are pulled over, they could probably fund their entire budget just on HOV lane fines.

They do this at the top of the Center Street hill once in a while too

speedog
Oct 4, 2013, 3:24 PM
They do this at the top of the Center Street hill once in a while too
Perhaps the definition of "once in a while" needs to fleshed out a bit - yeah, I've 'once' seen CPS pulling people over at 7th Ave North for violating the HOV rules but it is quite apparent that there hasn't been enough enforcement as is made evident by the multitudes of drivers who continue to abuse the HOV lane every weekday.

DizzyEdge
Oct 4, 2013, 7:29 PM
Perhaps the definition of "once in a while" needs to fleshed out a bit - yeah, I've 'once' seen CPS pulling people over at 7th Ave North for violating the HOV rules but it is quite apparent that there hasn't been enough enforcement as is made evident by the multitudes of drivers who continue to abuse the HOV lane every weekday.

I am in inglewood every day, so I would say I probably only see them doing it once every 3 months.

speedog
Oct 4, 2013, 8:51 PM
I am in inglewood every day, so I would say I probably only see them doing it once every 3 months.
And at every 3 months, that would probably be a good contributing factor as to why drivers just aren't getting it. I would dare say that the revenues realized for fines doled out to date don't come near to the monies that were spent to implement these mostly ineffective HOV lanes on Centre Street and in Inglewood. Better yet, the lane additions on Centre Street up by McKnight have just added in an extended right turn lane for NB traffic even though it's designated as a bus lane - no enforcement there either.

MasterG
Oct 4, 2013, 10:01 PM
And at every 3 months, that would probably be a good contributing factor as to why drivers just aren't getting it. I would dare say that the revenues realized for fines doled out to date don't come near to the monies that were spent to implement these mostly ineffective HOV lanes on Centre Street and in Inglewood. Better yet, the lane additions on Centre Street up by McKnight have just added in an extended right turn lane for NB traffic even though it's designated as a bus lane - no enforcement there either.

They could clean up. Why don't they just sit there all day every day? the Parking guys do that, maybe they should give the CPS some lessons ;)

Jimby
Oct 4, 2013, 10:12 PM
I took Stoney Trail SB from 17 Av SE to Peigan Tr WB and there I sat...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3717/10090091834_b77172eef6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/singlemoment/10090091834/)
art of paving (http://www.flickr.com/photos/singlemoment/10090091834/) by LUMIN8 (http://www.flickr.com/people/singlemoment/), on Flickr

Cage
Oct 4, 2013, 10:28 PM

PUTTING ON THE JERK SUIT HERE.

The fine is $60 no demerits. I don't travel in Inglewood or Centre street corridors, but here is my analysis. At $60 there would have to be a good chance of me getting caught greater than once per week before I would never use the HOV as a SOV. At once per month chance of getting caught, I would say put on my tab to the cop and pay the fine. AT once every six months to year;so long suckers - eat my dust.

What would get me out of HOV lane. Jam the lane up with buses that stop every 1km combined with drivers in the regular lanes who will not let me into the lane such that there is no time savings for using the HOV lane. With no time advantage (or very little advantage) the benefit side of the equation does not outweigh the cost side WRT chance of getting a ticket.

So here is the challenge, make it so socially unacceptable to drive in HOV lane as SOV that SOV cars do not let the jerk into regular traffic. Implement other restrictions such that the jerk cost vs benefit analysis does not support using the HOV.

[/jerk-suit-off]

speedog
Oct 4, 2013, 11:38 PM
Problem with HOV on Centre Street is that it's not really a road that should be used for this as there's just too many cross intersections with people trying to get off and on Centre street and supposedly supposed to be moving over a lane to the left to honour thy HOV rules. Too much slow traffic during the rush hour for it to be effective - just tonight, I got onto NB Centre at 12th Ave (only person in my vehicle) and wasn't able to get over to the next lane for 3 blocks. That means for 3 blocks I was breaking the law and I do not believe holding up the HOV lane to get into the next lane over is a solution either.

So for anyone who regularly travels Centre Street North or 9th Ave in Inglewood - are the HOV lanes really doing what they're supposed to be doing because I don't see them as being any faster than the other lanes. Add into that the #2 NB bus trying to swing over 3 lanes to turn left at 12th Ave during the PM rush and you just get a bigger mess.

Acey
Oct 5, 2013, 4:19 AM
That's an awesome picture Jimby. I wish I had a good camera to take pictures when I'm down there.

Fuzz
Oct 5, 2013, 4:25 AM
Probably wrong thread, but. . . RE. #2 bus. It shouldn't stop anywhere on centre north of downtown. There are enough other buses that serve that route, there is no reason it needs to swing across all those lanes to service 2 stops.

I take the #2 in the winter, and I'm not sure if its representative of other routes in the city, but it really is a horrible experience. Going southbound, downtown it stops 3 times in 1.5 city blocks. Its ridiculous. That being said, going to work is much quicker than going home. 20-30 min.

Going northbound, I can actually walk the 5 km home(direct) FASTER than the bus can travel in the winter about 1/2 half the time. That's 50 min. The bus travels about 7km. Most of that time is spent traversing 5th ave with no dedicated transit lane, and centre street where the HOV lane is pointless for bus priority. Though lately 4th st at 16th ave really backs up. I hope that's just because of the road work on Edmonton Trail.

I ride my bike in the spring/summer/fall. I'm riding deeper into the fall just because of the haunting memories of taking the bus. I walk home any day its warmer than -5°C.

Jimby
Oct 5, 2013, 3:49 PM
That's an awesome picture Jimby. I wish I had a good camera to take pictures when I'm down there.

Thanks! I had nothing better to do while I sat there waiting for the traffic to start moving.

Acey
Oct 11, 2013, 3:58 AM
One lane of the new westbound 96 Ave bridges opened today, just the centre lane with equipment and stuff in the left and right lanes. Airport Trail widening to 6 lanes also done, with a Jersey barrier in the middle (constant slope barrier, I guess... like the ones throughout Stoney SE)

Ramsayfarian
Oct 11, 2013, 6:06 PM
I knew it would just be a matter of time, after avoiding literally dozens of accidents at the Dartmouth Road Traffic circle some dipshit has finally take me out.

I entered the traffic circle via Dartmouth Road South and was planning on taking the Highfield road exit. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid some jackass blowing the yield entering the circle from Dartmouth Road North, only to have the guy right behind him also run the yield and plow into me.

Luckily for all of us, despite playing an ungodly amount of GTA 5 recently, I'm still able to separate reality from video games and didn't go all Trevor Philips on him.

The cop at the police station had nothing nice to say about that traffic circle or the folks who designed it and suggested that I call 311 and complain as they can't do anything about it.

lubicon
Oct 11, 2013, 7:43 PM
I knew it would just be a matter of time, after avoiding literally dozens of accidents at the Dartmouth Road Traffic circle some dipshit has finally take me out.

I entered the traffic circle via Dartmouth Road South and was planning on taking the Highfield road exit. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid some jackass blowing the yield entering the circle from Dartmouth Road North, only to have the guy right behind him also run the yield and plow into me.

Luckily for all of us, despite playing an ungodly amount of GTA 5 recently, I'm still able to separate reality from video games and didn't go all Trevor Philips on him.

The cop at the police station had nothing nice to say about that traffic circle or the folks who designed it and suggested that I call 311 and complain as they can't do anything about it.

Shitty luck for you Ramsayfarian but I have to wonder if the part in bold is true? If so that is somewhat disturbing in that the police have no input as to whether a road is unsafe. You would think that the government would at least take their opinions into account.

Calgarian
Oct 11, 2013, 8:05 PM
You don't deal with the city much obviously. You would have to go through roads and transportation (2 different departments) to get something to happen with that, and CP would probably get a say as well.

MasterG
Oct 11, 2013, 9:37 PM

It will be a good thing when these are slowly checked off and grade separated. I have no idea what the threshold for traffic / collision risk is that pushes this into something that gets built. When railway / road intersection improvements seem random at best. I am guessing the federal authority over the railways that has a lot to do with it.

Full Mountain
Oct 11, 2013, 10:26 PM
It will be a good thing when these are slowly checked off and grade separated. I have no idea what the threshold for traffic / collision risk is that pushes this into something that gets built. When railway / road intersection improvements seem random at best. I am guessing the federal authority over the railways that has a lot to do with it.

This has more to do with the traffic circle and Calgarian's (not the SSP member) inability to navigate traffic circles without issues.

fusili
Oct 16, 2013, 4:36 PM
Interesting piece in the Herald by Jack Mintz on Toll Roads:

Mintz: For whom the toll road rings, let it ring for all

BY JACK MINTZ, CALGARY HERALD OCTOBER 15, 2013

As the municipal election soon comes to a close on Monday, Calgary voters have some pretty critical issues to sort out at the ballot box. One of the most important raised throughout this campaign is how best to handle urban growth — expansion or intensification.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/Mintz+whom+toll+road+rings+ring/9039169/story.html

Ramsayfarian
Oct 16, 2013, 6:41 PM
Shitty luck for you Ramsayfarian but I have to wonder if the part in bold is true? If so that is somewhat disturbing in that the police have no input as to whether a road is unsafe. You would think that the government would at least take their opinions into account.

Sorry for the tardy reply. That's what the officer that took my statement told me. The CPS have no say in road design or layout.

lubicon
Oct 16, 2013, 7:41 PM
I don't doubt you for a second and I'm sure the cop is telling the truth too. It would be absurd to ask the police for input into road design prior to construction however they are the ones that see the results of said poor design on a daily basis and are the ones determining cause. You would think they could go to a City or Province and tell them this road or that road is poorly designed, is causing accidents, and here is the data to prove it.

MasterG
Oct 16, 2013, 9:18 PM
Sorry for the tardy reply. That's what the officer that took my statement told me. The CPS have no say in road design or layout.

Does a database exist, likely CPS I would think, of all the locations of accidents in the past, say 10 years? I assume if it was serious enough to be reported, they have it plotted on the map.

This is anecdotal but I live near 5th Street SW south of 17th ave for almost 2 years. I have seen 5 rear-ender accidents at 22nd avenue by the ped crossing light, all heading southbound on 5th and requiring police / ems assistance. No pedestrian injuries as far as I know, but one day someone wont be lucky.

I have seen others nearby (a couple at royal avenue a block north, but mainly car-on-car turning from Royal and getting clipped). But that many at one intersection should imply an issue with road design and traffic management no?

I assume they look at data like that to see if a particular intersection needs improvement, I would hope at least.

DoubleK
Oct 17, 2013, 6:08 AM
This is anecdotal but I live near 5th Street SW south of 17th ave for almost 2 years.

That speed limit should be 40kph tops through that stretch. No reason for it not to be...

J-D
Oct 17, 2013, 6:57 PM
Interesting piece in the Herald by Jack Mintz on Toll Roads:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/Mintz+whom+toll+road+rings+ring/9039169/story.html

I've never been a fan of toll roads, but I actually like most of the arguments presented here. Interesting read!

You Need A Thneed
Oct 25, 2013, 4:13 PM
City of Calgary - October 2013 Update. (http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Documents/Road-projects/Airport-Tunnel-Update-Oct2013.pdf)

craner
Oct 27, 2013, 2:56 PM
^Thanks for posting that YNAT. Calgary definitely getting more of a "big city" feel with the completion of these airport projects. :)

WaitWhat?
Oct 28, 2013, 5:08 PM
Province is apparently looking at designated lane use on the Deerfoot including HOV and bus lanes. HOV might be a good idea but I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/Province+aims+improve+traffic+flow+with+transportation+bill/9091642/story.html

davee930
Oct 28, 2013, 5:40 PM
Province is apparently looking at designated lane use on the Deerfoot including HOV and bus lanes. HOV might be a good idea but I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/Province+aims+improve+traffic+flow+with+transportation+bill/9091642/story.html

Oh good, more nanny state social engineering. Make all the peasants get out of their cars and into buses while the MLA's are driven around in their limos.

sim
Oct 28, 2013, 6:04 PM
Oh good, more nanny state social engineering. Make all the peasants get out of their cars and into buses while the MLA's are driven around in their limos.

Yup, that's what that is.

ByeByeBaby
Oct 28, 2013, 6:13 PM

:haha: Great parody.

J-D
Oct 29, 2013, 3:44 AM

I can't think of any section of Deerfoot that would benefit from that currently... this seems to me like it would just back up traffic further while single occupant vehicles tie up weave-zones and offramps/onramps because they can't go anywhere else.