PDA

View Full Version : Metro Phoenix Transit/Transportation Developments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86

vwwolfe
Apr 19, 2008, 7:00 PM
I didn't realize the number of houses that would have to be demolished for the light rail extension from Bethany home to Dunlap. Take a drive along that 3 mile stretch and look at the number of houses boarded up and fenced with "Property of Phoenix Light Rail" signs posted. It's crazy.

alexjon
Apr 19, 2008, 7:15 PM
I didn't realize the number of houses that would have to be demolished for the light rail extension from Bethany home to Dunlap. Take a drive along that 3 mile stretch and look at the number of houses boarded up and fenced with "Property of Phoenix Light Rail" signs posted. It's crazy.

Surrounding the alignment, or in the actual alignment itself? Are they building amenities or something on those properties? Traction stations?

Kroney
Apr 20, 2008, 11:19 PM
It's not big news, but they did finally install the overhead wires on the Central Ave light rail stretch between Fillmore and McDowell. Actually, the wires continue north of McDowell (not sure where they stop). I noticed them on Friday evening.

Also, 1st Ave appears to have the wires installed where the line curves east on Jefferson.

ljbuild
Apr 26, 2008, 7:47 AM
ADOT is setting up another meeting on the SOUTH MOUNTAIN FRWY.

This time I hope its progresses towards breaking ground. That frwy MAKES ALL

THE SENSE IN THE WORLD to build. It would divert alot of

"NON -CENTRAL PHOENIX TRAFFIC" out of central Phoenix. At least 50%

of the route is bordered by empty resevation land (desert), so therefore you

will not have an excess amount of traffic CRAMMING ON IT AT ONE TIME.

JI5
Apr 27, 2008, 11:04 PM
EWWW NO! Don't run the light rail through Maryvale! Then Maryvale people will use it!!

Besides, I don't want to get graffiti on our shiny new trains.

Vicelord John
Apr 28, 2008, 3:42 AM
EWWW NO! Don't run the light rail through Maryvale! Then Maryvale people will use it!!

thats the point, cumrag. Usage, no matter what type, is good.

Don B.
Apr 28, 2008, 1:38 PM
Valley Metro's express and rapid bus ridership increased greatly in the first three months of this year over last year:

January: +8.5%
February: +6.8%
March: +15.9%

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/04/28/20080428express0428.html

Valley commuter lines gain bus riders
by Mike Walbert - Apr. 28, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

More people are hopping on Valley commuter buses to travel between their suburban homes and downtown Phoenix jobs. Ridership numbers in January, February and March are up for Valley Metro's Express and Rapid commuter lines compared with the same months in 2007, according to the public-transit agency.

Three guesses as to one of the primary culprits for more folks taking the bus. "Gas prices have an impact on the demand of our services," Valley Metro spokeswoman Susan Tierney said. But it's not just the rising price of gas, which according to AAA hit a state average of $3.40 last week. A less strenuous commute, continued promotion, employer subsidies and air-quality concerns were cited by bus riders and officials.

In March, Valley Metro recorded an average of 6,861 bus boardings daily, an increase of 15.9 percent from March 2007's numbers. January and February posted increases of 8.5 percent and 6.8 percent, respectively. Express and Rapid buses travel between suburbs and downtown Phoenix on freeway carpool lanes, generally avoiding gridlock. Express buses make a handful of stops along city streets to grab riders before hitting the highway, while Rapid buses start at a park-and-ride lot and motor non-stop to downtown Phoenix. All told, Valley Metro deploys about 20 Express and four Rapid routes countywide.

Of late, some users report bigger than normal crowds, with some riders standing in aisles and doorways. Gilbert resident Jimi Lemak, 55, said he noticed heftier crowds lately on the 7:30 a.m. Express Route 531 bus from Gilbert to downtown Phoenix. Lemak began taking the bus three months ago for convenience, comfort and relief from "astronomical" gas costs. Plus, Lemak said, he has gained the opportunity to chat with interesting people while avoiding major commuting headaches. "It's like a small community," said Lemak, who works for the city of Phoenix.

More Express and Rapid routes are headed for Maricopa County over the next several years, including routes originating from Buckeye, the northwest Valley and east Mesa. In addition, the city of Maricopa, which is southwest of Chandler, is scheduled to start its own commuter bus service today. Maricopa, which is paying for the bus service through a mix of municipal and federal funding, cannot be part of Valley Metro's commuter-bus system because it is in Pinal County.

--don

tempedude
Apr 28, 2008, 4:42 PM
Along with increased ridership on the Rapid and Express Bus routes...I bet the light rail system is looking more and more attractive to all the nay sayers and opponents of the light rail; especially with the rising cost of gasoline.

Personally, I think you would be nuts not to ride the rail when it opens. Particularly if it is going right by your desired location. It will get you there faster than the buses most likely, and it will be a smoother more comfortable ride.

Mass transit, in all forms, makes a lot of sense economically and environmentally.

vertex
Apr 28, 2008, 5:57 PM
Nice to see the increasing numbers, though I figured they might be higher. It wasn't that long ago when the buses didn't even run on Sundays on most routes.

Kroney
Apr 29, 2008, 1:26 AM
Nice to see the increasing numbers, though I figured they might be higher.

I know! According to the Metro website, they are expecting 26,000 average daily boardings of light rail during the first year. Seems doable until one considers that our entire bus system had 6,861 average daily boardings in March '08. I want light rail to do well..... but I'm wagering on the under.

Don B.
Apr 29, 2008, 1:32 AM
^ No, 6,861 daily is just the boardings for the bus rapid transit and express buses. The system has way more daily boardings than that overall, about 159,000 per day.

Source:

http://www.valleymetro.org/Valley_Metro/Pressroom/Press_Releases/PDFs/Friends%20of%20Transit%202008%20State%20of%20Transit%20Presentation.pdf

--don

Kroney
Apr 29, 2008, 1:52 AM
^ No, 6,861 daily is just the boardings for the bus rapid transit and express buses. The system has way more daily boardings than that overall, about 159,000 per day.

Thanks for clarifying Don... I was a little worried.

exit2lef
May 1, 2008, 4:17 PM
The City of Phoenix has just announced proposed bus route changes to be effective December 28, 2008. These changes, if approved, would go into effect one day after light rail service starts on December 27 and are designed to realign bus service to coordinate with rail service.

Some routes will be rerouted to stop at rail stations. The Red Line will go away because it is largely redundant with rail service, although the portion of it near MetroCenter will be replaced with expanded service on Route 15. The Blue Line will be replaced with a new route that goes from Camelback & Central to PV Mall, and the 0 line along Central Avenue will see schedule reductions due to light rail.

My guess is that these changes make sense for the most part, but there will be some passengers inconvenienced. For example, someone who lives in south Phoenix can now travel to the Biltmore Area or PV Mall without a transfer via the Blue Line. That will no longer be possible.

The biggest question unanswered is if bus lines that intersect with light rail stations will see any increase in frequency. If will do little good to have 10-minute interval between trains during weekdays if there is a 20-minute wait to transfer to a bus for the final leg of the journey.

See this link for details on the proposed changes, open houses, and hearings:

http://phoenix.gov/NEWSREL/ARCHIVE/2008/APRIL/1704buschanges.html

alexjon
May 3, 2008, 8:09 PM
Buses that serve light rail stations, especially those that terminate at light rail stations are generally pretty packed in line with the rail line's peak times. Obvious, yes, but sometimes it makes a major difference.

vwwolfe
May 3, 2008, 8:38 PM
I noticed a couple more buildings fenced off with "Property of Phoenix Light Rail" signs up on them.

The Silver Dragon Restaurant at 19th Ave and Dunlap and the Office building next door. I'm assuming this is where the Park and Ride will go.

exit2lef
May 6, 2008, 10:37 PM
Today, I attended one of the open houses devoted to the proposed changes in bus service. I asked if service frequency would be increased along those routes intersecting with light rail. Unfotunately, the answer was "not now." Apparently, with the City's budget being tight due to the economic downturn, the funds are not available to increase bus frequency except on those routes funded regionally by Proposition 400. The gentleman I spoke to said that eventually the City wants to increase frequencies on all routes to 15minutes, but doing so will take time.

I understand the reasoning, but I'm still troubled by the prospect of passengers riding trains that arrive every 10 minutes only to have a 20 or even 30 minute wait for a bus transfer. I'm also wondering how many people along parts of the current Red and Blue lines not covered by light rail will be inconvenienced with long transfer times that they don't face now.

I wonder if it might be better to delay implementation of some new routes and expanded service in outlying areas in order to reallocate the funds toward improved bus service along lines that intersect with light rail. There are still several open houses and hearings, as well as opportunities to make one's feelings known via email.

andrewkfromaz
May 7, 2008, 3:59 AM
Today, I attended one of the open houses devoted to the proposed changes in bus service. I asked if service frequency would be increased along those routes intersecting with light rail. Unfotunately, the answer was "not now." Apparently, with the City's budget being tight due to the economic downturn, the funds are not available to increase bus frequency except on those routes funded regionally by Proposition 400. The gentleman I spoke to said that eventually the City wants to increase frequencies on all routes to 15minutes, but doing so will take time.

I understand the reasoning, but I'm still troubled by the prospect of passengers riding trains that arrive every 10 minutes only to have a 20 or even 30 minute wait for a bus transfer. I'm also wondering how many people along parts of the current Red and Blue lines not covered by light rail will be inconvenienced with long transfer times that they don't face now.

I wonder if it might be better to delay implementation of some new routes and expanded service in outlying areas in order to reallocate the funds toward improved bus service along lines that intersect with light rail. There are still several open houses and hearings, as well as opportunities to make one's feelings known via email.

I think doubling frequencies, even on a small number of routes, is something that should be approached cautiously, because of the cost of doing so. Of course it's a very desirable outcome, but I think right now it might make more sense to spend the money allocated under Prop. 400 and when the city's budget turns around a little to increase frequencies. I think with the current system, it seems as though only certain transfers are scheduled so that people trying to transfer have to wait close to half an hour. Even though the trains' frequency will be independent of the bus schedule, I hope that train/bus transfers won't deter people from riding both systems. One thing that would help with this is improving bus stops near rail stations - obviously the rail stations are supposed to be nice and offer shade and lighting and so on, but that only works one way. When you get off the train and have to wait for your bus, you can either stick around the train station for a while or camp out at the bus stop.

As for your idea, Silverbear, of delaying the opening of more outlying routes and expenditures, I think there could be a couple of reasons that wouldn't really work. One practical one is that there might not be enough money to double service on, say, the Green Line, but there is enough to provide the Desert Ridge shuttle. Then there's how each project would be funded (can you just move Prop. 400 money from one project to another, or do you have to spend it in a specific way?) and other things, in addition to the more esoteric concepts of quality of service in areas where people rely on public transportation vs. service to people for who public transit is an option rather than their only mode of transportation. You can really get into a lot of theory and policy issues on this.

HX_Guy
May 8, 2008, 5:54 PM
Caught a glimpse of the train yesterday undergoing testing at the 38th St and Washington station. Can't wait to see these rolling down the street on a regular basis...I don't know what it is, but they are 1000X cooler then a bus. :D

http://nitnelav.com/lightrail4.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/lightrail5.jpg

Sekkle
May 8, 2008, 6:13 PM
Nice. What's up with the 2nd photo? It looks distorted somehow... I'm assuming the track doesn't really have a bump like that.

HX_Guy
May 8, 2008, 6:32 PM
Camera phone. :)

Sonoran_Dweller
May 8, 2008, 7:13 PM
I don't know what it is, but they are 1000X cooler then a bus. :D

Yeah, it's strange isn't it? They are practically the same thing if you think about it. One is fixed in a track, and the other is on wheels. That is practically the only difference, and somehow it has a huge difference. I do think that the look of the train with its sexy, sleek design does have something to do with it, but not too much.

I may be one of the few, but I find some buses attractive and very appealing. The new New Flyers that ValleyMetro uses are b-e-a-utiful!!!;) Other than travelling by bicycle, my only other mode of transport is the VallyMetro buses. Through my bus rides I have realized that depending on the bus type, the riders seem more or less impressed. When the bus is approaching a bus stop where people are waiting, there is a tendency for the people at the stop to show emotion. When the buses are the new New Flyer buses, people smile when the look at the bus as it pulls up.
They look someting like this, more or less:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Abqride_729.jpg

When the older buses are used I don't see any smiles, just blank that seem to say "I don't care about anything and my life is dull".
The older buses looks something like this:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/NFI_D40LF.jpg

And then when the bi-articulated buses are used, I have realized that smiles are plentiful. In my own opinion, they are the best looking of all the buses. When this bus pulls up people just can't keep themselves from enjoying it. And as they board the have a bright colorful smile enjoying the unique bus with the strechy thing in the middle.
They look something like this:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/NABI60brt.jpg

I don't know if they all smile because they enjoy the buses, or it is just a coincidence. If anyone has experienced something like that let me know. I would like to think that other people find some of these buses visually pleasing, and enjoy getting on a good looking bus.

And the Metro trains have to be sleek and pretty, who would want to ride an ugly bus? I'm sure the prettier they are, the more people will use them.

vwwolfe
May 8, 2008, 10:08 PM
Mesa has cut it's Saturday bus service back to 1 hour intervals. A step in the wrong direction.

Mesa Service Cuts Effective Saturday, May 3, 2008

How is bus service in Mesa changing?
Saturday service on bus routes in the City of Mesa is being reduced to one hour frequencies.

What routes are being impacted?
Route 30 - University
Route 45 - Broadway
Route 61 - Southern
Route 77 - Baseline
Route 96 - Dobson
Route 104 - Alma School
Route 120 - Mesa Drive
Route 128 - Stapley
Route 136 - Gilbert Road

Note: Route 112 (Country Club/Arizona Avenue) will not be impacted by this service reduction because it does not currently have Saturday service.

When will these changes be effective?
This service reduction will begin effective Saturday, May 3, 2008.

Why is Saturday bus service being reduced?
This change is being made in response to a recent decline in sales tax revenues.

Why is service being reduced when new light rail and bus service begin in December?
Some new and expanded bus service that travels in Mesa has been funded by Proposition 400, which was approved by voters in November 2004 and is a county-wide sales tax that was extended for another 20 years. The one-mile of light rail service has been funded by Mesa general funds. The light rail vehicles are also being funded by the Proposition 400 initiative. The cuts in service that will begin on May 3 are those routes funded by the city of Mesa and are impacted by the recent decline in sales tax revenues.

Will Dial-a-Ride Service be impacted?
No. These service changes to not affect Dial-a-Ride service.

Will the City of Mesa be conducting a public meeting on this service change?
No. Public transportation services may be reduced through minor modifications in order to improve service efficiencies and cost effectiveness. FTA requires that the opportunity for a public hearing be made in cases where "major" service reductions are being considered. In addition to financial considerations, service reduction recommendations must also be evaluated in order to comply with Title VI Environmental Justice policies.

The City of Mesa has traditionally considered a "major" service reduction to be 25 percent of an individual route's revenue service miles. If the City of Mesa proposes to reduce service along a single route by more than 25 percent of that route’s revenue miles, an opportunity for a public meeting would be provided.

Are there future service cuts being planned by the City?
Beginning July 28, there will be weekday service reductions planned on Route 136 (Gilbert Road) for the portion of the route operating only in the city of Mesa during non-peak hours. The route will operate at a one hour frequency between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.

NOTE: Service reduction on Routes 61 and 96 are short-term reductions. Effective July 28, 2008 these routes will become regionally funded routes and will have service seven days a week

Tfom
May 9, 2008, 12:22 AM
Mesa is a giant suburban craphole.

sharpie
May 9, 2008, 1:21 AM
At least Mesa is doing one thing right: they'll be the first in the valley to have a bus rapid transit line when it begins service on Main Street and Power starting Dec. 27th, and they're starting to plan for their second on Country Club/Arizona Ave.

The first BRT line will run from the Sycamore Station (end light rail line) through to Superstition Springs Mall, when they are planning to expand the park n ride, and the second will run from Chandler to Sycarmore Station. Upgraded buses, stations (deluxe bus shelters) about every mile, and priority at traffic signals. Definitely an improvement in transit service in the east valley.

Sekkle
May 9, 2008, 2:00 AM
^ The park & Ride at Superstition Springs has already been expanded. I worked on the design for the lot. I don't know for sure if it is open yet (since I don't live there anymore), but construction is done. It's along the Power Rd on-ramp to US 60.

I'll be curious to see how many actual BRT elements they incorporate in the Main St line. The current "Rapid" buses (which I believe are referred to as BRT by Valley Metro, but are nothing more than fancy express buses in reality) don't have dedicated lanes or signal priority, at least not that I'm aware of. I'd be interested to know to what extent the Main St route will have those two elements.

HX_Guy
May 9, 2008, 2:23 AM
I may be one of the few, but I find some buses attractive and very appealing. The new New Flyers that ValleyMetro uses are b-e-a-utiful!!!;) Other than travelling by bicycle, my only other mode of transport is the VallyMetro buses. Through my bus rides I have realized that depending on the bus type, the riders seem more or less impressed. When the bus is approaching a bus stop where people are waiting, there is a tendency for the people at the stop to show emotion. When the buses are the new New Flyer buses, people smile when the look at the bus as it pulls up.

Interesting observations and I'm sure they are true. I myself, even as a driver passing by a bus, tend to look at the newer sleeker buses and don't really pay any attention to the older ones. I'm sure the same thing will happen with light rail...but X 10.

Going along the lines of observations...have you guys noticed how many more people are the bus stops these days? I'm not taking about centralized parts of the city either...but just driving around today, there were 6-7 people at a bus stop at 59th Ave and Union Hills going eastbound and another 7-8 at the stop going northbound...plus the bus arriving had a handful of people already on-board. I know it's not huge numbers but until recently, I can't recall ever seeing anyone at the bus stops...maybe 1 person here and there, but nothing like now.

sharpie
May 9, 2008, 2:45 AM
The park n ride lot is already open, and is being really well used. The are planning on expanding it this summer/fall when they build the BRT station at Superstition Springs.

No dedicated lanes, Main Street really doesn't carry enough traffic that dedicated lanes would be of any benefit, but they will be doing traffic signal priority (although lower priority than light rail will get). The Arizona Ave/Country Club BRT will have some queue jump lanes at major intersecitons.

PHX31
May 9, 2008, 2:48 AM
Interesting observations and I'm sure they are true. I myself, even as a driver passing by a bus, tend to look at the newer sleeker buses and don't really pay any attention to the older ones. I'm sure the same thing will happen with light rail...but X 10.

Going along the lines of observations...have you guys noticed how many more people are the bus stops these days? I'm not taking about centralized parts of the city either...but just driving around today, there were 6-7 people at a bus stop at 59th Ave and Union Hills going eastbound and another 7-8 at the stop going northbound...plus the bus arriving had a handful of people already on-board. I know it's not huge numbers but until recently, I can't recall ever seeing anyone at the bus stops...maybe 1 person here and there, but nothing like now.

Potentially it is because of higher gas prices and people either being forced, or planning to take the bus more.

andrewkfromaz
May 9, 2008, 3:53 AM
^^^^ There was a piece on NPR today about that very topic. I think it'll be a while before we see quantifiable numbers, but people are beginning to change their behavior... Maybe not to the extent that we might estimate at first, but it's happening...

SunDevil
May 9, 2008, 7:57 AM
Anyone know if/when the 202 will be built around South Mountain? don't here much about it all the way up here and it's one thing that really bugs me. Why didn't the county shore up the property there a long time ago? Now it's going to be a huge payday either for the developer or the tribe. Assuming it actually gets built.

loftlovr
May 9, 2008, 8:45 AM
Does HX_Guy work? Or does he just fly about town waiting for cool shit to happen?

Who was it that got a shot of the Robson (I think) house being moved?

HooverDam
May 9, 2008, 9:51 AM
Does HX_Guy work? Or does he just fly about town waiting for cool shit to happen?

Who was it that got a shot of the Robson (I think) house being moved?

That was me, lets not give HX_Guy all the credit :P Sadly all I had on me was my lame camera phone.

Sonoran_Dweller
May 10, 2008, 5:17 AM
Light-rail system test brings mixed reactions
by Dianna M. Náñez - May. 9, 2008 03:00 PM
The Arizona Republic

Light rail made its Tempe debut Wednesday and drew public reactions varying from disgust to delight.

A single train crossed Town Lake shortly after 1 p.m. and was tested throughout the afternoon along the rail track that cuts through downtown Tempe, across Mill Avenue and near Wells Fargo Arena. The train is in Tempe as part of expanded testing that began Tuesday in Phoenix. Each vehicle and light-rail components, including the power system, rail and signals, must be tested to meet safety and performance guidelines.

Tempe business owner and Queen Creek resident Dennis Sarfate, 53, watched the steel train as it crawled along the rail line behind the Tempe Police station on Fifth Street. A Tempe policeman provided security as light-rail workers followed the train.

"What a waste of taxpayer money," Sarfate said. "For half the money they could have built a real bus system. God knows this city needs some sort of traffic salvation. But this isn't going to work. No one's going to use it."

The light-rail price tag is $1.4 billion, with $587 million coming from federal funding.

Sarfate said he used to live in New York City and the bus system there would get him to about any neighborhood in short order. He said he would have preferred to see the Valley beef up its bus routes, add street cutouts so that the buses could stop outside of traffic and once a more expansive bus system was in place, commission a study to see if light rail was still needed.

As the train moved west to the transit shelter at Mill Avenue and Third Street it attracted the attention of bus riders.

"I think it's pretty exciting," said Phoenix resident Misti Chambers, 34. Chambers works at a Tempe law firm. She said she is anxiously awaiting light rail and has already mapped the bus route she will take to the nearest rail line.

"I'll take the McDowell bus to 44th Street, and the 44th Street bus up to Washington and light rail will drop me off right at Third Street and Mill - less than block from my work," she said.

Chambers said using the bus and rail is an economic choice for the mother of four.

"I've been riding the bus my whole life. I don't have a car, I can't afford it," she said.

Ignacio Cruz, 36, lives in Tempe and works at restaurant along the rail line in downtown Phoenix. He owns a car but said he chooses to ride the bus and will switch to light rail when it launches in December.

"I'll use it everyday," Cruz said. "Parking downtown is hard to find, and I don't want to pay for gas or parking."

Donald Rolfe, 30, said he cringed at the site of the light rail train. It brought back memories of the nightmare, he said, light rail created in Portland, Ore., where he lived.

"There was a devaluation of property, and it increased crime," he said. "It was a mess. It took over a dozen years to fix."

Rolfe said he lives in downtown Phoenix but said he would never use light rail because like many people he needs to travel throughout the Valley for work.

Hillary Foose, a light rail spokeswoman, said there were no major problems during the first days of expanded testing.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/2008/05/09/20080509tr-railtest0509.html#comments

PHX31
May 10, 2008, 3:38 PM
Some dumbass in the post a comment portion of that azcentral article said it was a terrible idea, and brought up Portland, Or... saying the light rail in Portland has been a total and utter failure, with all of the crime and lower property values it has brought that city.

uh huh, sure dude.

edit: wait, it was actually in the "article", not the comments section. What a dumbass.

tempedude
May 10, 2008, 3:39 PM
Some dumbass in the post a comment portion of that azcentral article said it was a terrible idea, and brought up Portland, Or... saying the light rail in Portland has been a total and utter failure, with all of the crime and lower property values it has brought that city.

uh huh, sure dude.

yep i saw that too...what a complete dumbass

Don B.
May 10, 2008, 3:43 PM
^ Welcome to the illogical and nasty nature of the comment forums on azcentral, which make this message board (Mountain West) seem like the forum for Emily Post's Little Shirley Temple Tearoom by comparison.

--don

tempedude
May 10, 2008, 3:49 PM
Caught a glimpse of the train yesterday undergoing testing at the 38th St and Washington station. Can't wait to see these rolling down the street on a regular basis...I don't know what it is, but they are 1000X cooler then a bus. :D

http://nitnelav.com/lightrail4.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/lightrail5.jpg

cool pics HX...

I was at tempe town lake the other day and saw the trains(testing) on the bridge crossing the lake. It looked really cool. I wanted to get a picture but I didn't even have my cell phone with me.

What I can't wait to see is the bridge all lit up at nite on a regular basis - with its uber cool fiber optic lighting system. I don't know how many people here have seen it lit up yet, but I have seen it when they were testing it out awhile back. I want to say more about it, but I don't want to give away all the surpises about it just yet. Just wait till you you see it for yourself if you haven't already seen it. (its been lit up also for a couple of special occasions/events).

People taking off and landing at Sky Harbor will be able to see it at night too. :cool:

vwwolfe
May 10, 2008, 5:03 PM
Here's some pics of the lights on the bridge.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/thomtastic/lightrailtempe01.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/thomtastic/lightrailtempe02.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/thomtastic/tempe_rail_1593.jpg

alexjon
May 10, 2008, 5:33 PM
Oh my GOD.

That is awesome!

I've commented on the Portland comment in the Denver Light Rail post, if you all care to read.

I'm going to err on the side of hope for humanity in saying that it's probably not a racist thing, but given the facts of the matter...

tempedude
May 10, 2008, 7:24 PM
Here's some pics of the lights on the bridge.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/thomtastic/lightrailtempe01.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/thomtastic/lightrailtempe02.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/thomtastic/tempe_rail_1593.jpg
yes yes...awsome pics....but.....

the photos still don't reveal all the secrects/details about the lighting on the bridge. :)

...and I'm not saying yet what it is....for those who know what im talking about.....shhhhh!....try to keep it quiet until opening day in December. :D

All I can say is that the lighting on the light rail bridge is beyond cool.

Tfom
May 10, 2008, 10:17 PM
Isn't the Portland system regarded as the model for the benefits of light rail? I have always heard great things about it.

exit2lef
May 10, 2008, 10:26 PM
Isn't the Portland system regarded as the model for the benefits of light rail? I have always heard great things about it.

It is, but the die-hard opponents of rail transit will find a way to hate every system, no matter how successful.

alexjon
May 10, 2008, 10:31 PM
It is, but the die-hard opponents of rail transit will find a way to hate every system, no matter how successful.

Yeah, really

... but it still doesn't stop Portland! 14 mile commuter line this year, 15 miles of new lines by 2014, 4 miles of new streetcar by 2011... it's a good good place for rails.

Tfom
May 11, 2008, 12:17 AM

That's what I figured. I have always wanted to go to the Pac NW to visit, but haven't had a chance yet.

Sonoran_Dweller
May 11, 2008, 2:31 AM
Regarding the Portland rail:
I don't know where I heard this; I may be wrong, so correct me if anyone knows.

I heard that the Portland rail went through an important part of the Portland area (not center-city Portland, but a suburb or something). Before the construction, people did not want to see the rail construction negatively effect businesses and had the rail line bypass that area. After the rail started the economic benefit of rail was so good that all the businesses and even the City Hall (of that suburb) had to move next to the rail to take advantage of the economic surplus.

exit2lef
May 11, 2008, 4:12 AM
Regarding the Portland rail:
I don't know where I heard this; I may be wrong, so correct me if anyone knows.

I heard that the Portland rail went through an important part of the Portland area (not center-city Portland, but a suburb or something). Before the construction, people did not want to see the rail construction negatively effect businesses and had the rail line bypass that area. After the rail started the economic benefit of rail was so good that all the businesses and even the City Hall (of that suburb) had to move next to the rail to take advantage of the economic surplus.

That was Gresham, a Portland suburb. From what I've read, that's still the portion of the Portland area in which light rail is most controversial.

alexjon
May 11, 2008, 10:21 PM
Yep, Gresham!

It's a nice city, but the police essentially forced crime from the malls and up-and-coming areas toward the station areas-- finally came back to bite them in the butt though.

CANUC
May 12, 2008, 9:57 PM
I don’t know if this will make any sense but I have always wondered why LR was not run down Van Buren Street as opposed to Washington. The building stock available along Van Buren is far greater than what is available on Washington and if there was ever a street that would have benefited from any revitalization that might come from LR, no matter how small I would assume it would have been Van Buren.

I understand the eastern route and why it took Jefferson; US Airways and Chase Field but why make the western return route just a block over on Washington? It seems they could have run the western return along Van Buren with the split occurring at 24th St. instead of the current one at 20th St. Does any of that make sense?

HX_Guy
May 12, 2008, 10:13 PM
I assume its due to the fact that Washington is a one way street, 3 lanes if I remember correctly, and now still has 2 regular lanes plus the light rail.

Van Buren is 5 total lanes, 2 going west, 2 going east, and a middle turn lane. There probably wouldn't have been enough space to run it down Van Buren.

exit2lef
May 12, 2008, 10:36 PM
I don’t know if this will make any sense but I have always wondered why LR was not run down Van Buren Street as opposed to Washington. The building stock available along Van Buren is far greater than what is available on Washington and if there was ever a street that would have benefited from any revitalization that might come from LR, no matter how small I would assume it would have been Van Buren.

I understand the eastern route and why it took Jefferson; US Airways and Chase Field but why make the western return route just a block over on Washington? It seems they could have run the western return along Van Buren with the split occurring at 24th St. instead of the current one at 20th St. Does any of that make sense?

There was discussion of running it down VB, but ultimately I think there was more excess capacity on Washington and Jefferson. As for a split between Van Buren and Jefferson, those streets are four blocks apart -- too far, IMO, to be effectively paired as a single line.

HX_Guy
May 12, 2008, 11:04 PM
Good point Silverbear...4 block from each other would be much too far. Think about someone who for example missed their stop and has to go back one station at the next stop...

tempedude
May 21, 2008, 1:07 AM
I know this isn't any new earth shattering news...man I had to post this...I saw some multicar testing of the Metro LRT over the Tempe Town Lake Bridge today. So cool...and I can't express enough how cool it is too see the trains crossing the bridge over the lake and looking west and seeing the Phoenix skyline in the distance...very stylish and sleek looking, this is post card quality material....I am amped, even looking around and looking at downtown Tempe rising along with all of it...:tup:

vertex
May 21, 2008, 1:40 AM
^^^Dammit, didn't you have a digital camera or something on you?

How 'bout a cellphone camera?

Polaroid?

Pinhole camera?

Photogram?

Sekkle
May 21, 2008, 3:17 AM
I saw some multicar testing of the Metro LRT over the Tempe Town Lake Bridge today.
How many cars were they running?

tempedude
May 21, 2008, 6:27 AM
^^^Dammit, didn't you have a digital camera or something on you?

How 'bout a cellphone camera?

Polaroid?

Pinhole camera?

Photogram?

"Dammit, didn't you have a digital camera or something on you?" - uh sorry nope. I broke it. :rolleyes:

"How 'bout a cellphone camera?" - um nope...read above

"Polaroid?" - ?? :shrug: uh, aren't those bad for your health or something?

"Pinhole camera?" - I couldn't lug the nearest old fridge over to make one out of it. :D :cheers: :P

"Photogram?" - ok...lets just not go there .....:slob: :banana: :frog:

To answer ForAteOh's question...."How many cars were they running?"
Two cars...

alexjon
May 24, 2008, 6:36 AM
How many cars can they run at max capacity?

Please say 4. Then tell the truth

trigirdbers
May 24, 2008, 7:47 AM
4... ok, ok, 3.

PhxPavilion
May 24, 2008, 7:53 AM
I don't think more than 2 will work at some of the stations without blocking intersections.

exit2lef
May 24, 2008, 12:45 PM
Three is the answer on Valley Metro's site. I expect that will be done mostly at peak times -- maybe during rush hour or major events like New Year's Eve in Downtown Tempe or Diamondbacks home games. Otherwise, I guess that two-car trains will be the norm.

http://www.valleymetro.org/METRO_light_rail/About_Light_Rail/index.htm

tempedude
May 26, 2008, 3:08 PM
How many cars can they run at max capacity?

Please say 4. Then tell the truth

The answer to how many cars they can run at max capacity is 12 divided by 4.

HX_Guy
May 28, 2008, 12:22 AM
Can anyone make it to this? Would be cool to get some pictures...

NOTICE OF PUBLIC TOUR
NORTH GATEWAY VILLAGE PLANNING COMMITTEE

METRO LIGHT RAIL TOUR

Pursuant to A.R.S. Section 38-431.02, notice is hereby given to the members of the north gateway village PLANNING COMMITTEE and to the general public, that the north gateway village planning committee has coordinated a tour of the METRO Light Rail facility, to be conducted by Jay Harper (METRO), open to the public, on Wednesday, May 28, 2008, at 11:00 a.m. located at the METRO Operations and Maintenance Center, 605 S. 48th Street, Jim Starz Conference Room, Phoenix, AZ, 85034.

A quorum of the NORTH GATEWAY VILLAGE PLANNING COMMITTEE may be present. The public is invited to attend the tour of the METRO Light Rail facility. The tour will be facilitated by Jay Harper at the METRO Light Rail Office. This not a meeting. There may be information and training provided and/or questions and answers. Discussion and possible action on public body issues will take place at a regularly scheduled meeting only.

The itinerary for the tour is as follows:

Facility Tour
Est. time: 30 Min.
11:00 – 11:30a.m.

Train Ride
Est. time: 30 Min.
11:30 to 12:00p.m.

For further information, please call Tricia Gomes, North Gateway Village Planner, Planning Department at 602-262-6949 or Michelle Cox, Executive Assistant, METRO Light Rail at 602-652-5070.

HooverDam
May 28, 2008, 1:40 AM

Ooooh I might be able to, but its way out of the way. If I go, youll get pictures for sure.

vertex
May 28, 2008, 3:08 AM
I might be able to make it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Don B.
May 28, 2008, 5:26 AM
^ I can't. I'm working (and living) in Prescott now for the summer, and I may be living here for the forseeable future. Until August, for sure -- I'll only be back on some weekends.

--don

exit2lef
May 28, 2008, 5:38 AM

I already went to such a tour a few months back and posted a link to my photos.

Here it is again:

http://picasaweb.google.com/silverbearphx/LightRailPhotos

HooverDam
May 31, 2008, 12:14 AM
From today's Republic:

Rival transportation plans may compete on ballot
Pearce's move would compete with initiative
by Matthew Benson - May. 30, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
One of the Arizona Legislature's most ardent tax foes is authoring a tax increase of his own.

Rep. Russell Pearce's intent: to sponsor a referendum that competes head-to-head on the November ballot with a statewide citizens initiative on transportation, potentially derailing the measure with one that carries a much lower price tag and a shorter time frame.

Supporters of the initiative have already begun collecting some of the more than 153,000 valid signatures they'll need to submit by July 3 to qualify for the ballot.

Pearce, meanwhile, needs just 31 votes in the House and 16 in the Senate to get his referendum on the ballot.

"I'm not advocating a tax increase," said Pearce, a Mesa Republican and chairman of the House Appropriations Committee. "I am advocating that voters have an honest choice."

Pearce's proposal, which is still being drafted, calls for a half-cent (per $1 purchase) increase in the state sales tax over 20 years. He told The Republic Thursday that he's unsure how much the proposal would raise, but it looks to be less than half of the $42 billion the initiative would raise over 30 years. That measure, led by Gov. Janet Napolitano and a group of business and economic interests calling itself the TIME Coalition, would increase the state sales tax by a full cent.

Pearce dubbed his referendum "a more modest plan," noting that it would fund only roads and highways. The TIME Coalition initiative would fund projects ranging from freeways and commuter rail to local street construction and buses.

"Piecemealing this, if that's what this is, is a huge mistake," TIME spokesman Martin Shultz said of the Pearce plan. "It's very narrow in a state that is very large and has substantial infrastructure needs."

The Legislature has a history of referring measures to the ballot to compete with citizens initiatives, most recently with trust-land reform in 2006. In that instance, voters rejected both measures - which, critics alleged, was the Legislature's intent all along.

This time around, Pearce maintained that he merely wants voters to have a choice of transportation proposals. If his referendum makes the ballot, he's not even sure if it'll have his vote: "I don't know yet. That's a decision I'll have to make between now and November."

In the meantime, obstacles remain for Pearce, not the least of which is finding a way to introduce his language at this late date in the legislative session. Shultz, a lobbyist for Pinnacle West Capital Corp., parent of Arizona Public Service Co., sounded unconcerned by the prospect of ballot competition.

"I'm not fearful of it," he said. "Let's let this run its course."

Hey thanks douche bag! With gas at around $4 a gallon, thats really what we need, a plan that only offers new highways. What a fucktard.

Sekkle
May 31, 2008, 12:44 AM
Hey thanks douche bag! With gas at around $4 a gallon, thats really what we need, a plan that only offers new highways. What a fucktard.
:haha:

PhxSprawler
May 31, 2008, 12:48 AM
From today's Republic:

I have a feeling it will pass, too. Why so many people around here are more supportive of building looping freeways 60 miles away from themselves versus paying for public transit even 10 miles (or less) away from them is well beyond me.

tempedude
May 31, 2008, 1:20 AM
I have a feeling it will pass, too. Why so many people around here are more supportive of building looping freeways 60 miles away from themselves versus paying for public transit even 10 miles (or less) away from them is well beyond me.

I hope it doesn't. What people need to do, who feel like we do, about transportation in this city, is quit griping about the the situation....and go out and try to find ways to educate the public as to why mass transportation (like light rail and commuter rail) is a smart alternative - And yes, as Phoenix grows we still need more freeways, along with a smarter transportion plan.

HooverDam
May 31, 2008, 2:18 AM

I wonder this too. I had lunch w/ my Grandparents last week, who lives about a mile or two east of the LRTs terminus in Mesa, and my Grandpa went on and on about how ugly the overhead lines are and how trains are an 'old technology.' I think since rail (in all its forms) has been so underutilized in Western cities for 50 years, people imagine it must not have advanced technologically. Most people are smart, and if you talk to them, they'll realize this isn't the case, but it seems to be their initial assumption. For some reason rail is associated with the 19th century, but for some reason they don't view all cars as Model T's. Like I said, its probably because they've watched the development and advances of the auto industry, whereras rail isn't as known about for most folks.

exit2lef
May 31, 2008, 3:53 AM

I think Pearce's intent may be to see both versions fail. Just like with the land reform referenda, the knuckle-draggers in the leglislature will often muddy the waters just to divide votes between two alternatives. Keep in mind that the chairs of the transporations committees in both the Senate and the House, Ron Gould and Andy Biggs, embrace libertarian anti-tax philosophies. I'm sure they'd like to see both versions fail at the polls.

tempedude
May 31, 2008, 3:16 PM
An article about the TIME initiative. The plan proposes a one cent sales tax increase to fund a $42.6 billion across the board (improved bus services, freeways, light rail expansion, and commuter rail etc.) transportation improvement package. According the article, the one cent tax increase won't take effect until 2010, and run for 30 years.

From reading the comments section at azcentral related to the article, I can tell this is going to be one hot topic and it is already pushing sore points. In my honest opinion, I think I could live with a one cent tax increase if its properly spent, and helps to promote further construction and use of public mass transportation. To me, a good public mass transit system makes good sense as it leads to greater sustainablity in a region already under some environmental stress. i.e. Air Quality. Oh, and this plan is a statewide comprehensive plan, not just for the Phoenix Metro region. I am thinking that if this by chance does get voter approval, the Tucson area could/would benefit greatly from it also.

From azcentral:http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/05/31/20080531pitch.html#comments

Group confident voters will OK tax increase for better transit

by Glen Creno - May. 31, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Persuading voters to agree to a tax increase when the economy is wobbly and people are losing their homes and jobs may seem futile.

But the group, the Transportation & Infrastructure Moving AZ's Economy, which is trying to put a $42.6 billion transportation-improvement package on the November ballot, says it's up to the task.

Its strategy: a multimedia campaign that focuses on the frustration of increasing
congestion and the role transportation plays in the growth of the state and its economy.

The group is already talking up the plan across the state, trying to gather the 153,365 signatures needed to put the plan and its 1-cent sales-tax increase on the ballot.

It expects to meet that goal by the July 3 deadline and plans to more aggressively promote the initiative later in the summer with TV and radio ads and direct mail.

Opponents say it will be tough convincing voters that a tax increase is the best way to attack Arizona's transportation needs.

"This one is asking people to raise the sales tax when the economy is very shaky," said Steve Voeller, president of the Arizona Free Enterprise Club. "It's a pretty steep hill to climb. Voters will be skeptical."

But backers of the proposal point to the state's pressing demand for new roads and transit and what they call a looming funding crisis.

"We're pretty confident people will see the connection between their lives and improved transportation," said Martin Schultz, a lobbyist for Pinnacle West Capital Corp., parent of Arizona Public Service Co., and a spokesman for the TIME coalition, the group pushing the transportation plan and the media campaign.

Pushing the proposal

TIME representatives are traveling the state to explain the proposal to business and government groups and answer questions. Experts say it's crucial to get these groups to buy into the plan so they feel like a part of it and are more likely to vigorously push it.

TIME also expects to launch a Web site sometime next month promoting the plan.

Tom Ziemba of Ziemba Waid Public Affairs, the Phoenix consulting and lobbying firm handling both the signature gathering and the media campaign for the measure, estimated it would be a "multimillion" dollar advertising budget. TIME would pay for the ad blitz with donations.

"This is about people's lives. It's not like a typical bond election where someone wants to raise money for a new sewer line," Ziemba said.

Voeller said his organization is still deciding whether to mount a formal campaign against the proposal, which is called the TIME Act.

He said there should be a thorough debate about how to fund transportation in the state and rejected the idea that TIME's plan is the only way to go. The penny tax would take effect in January 2010 and run for 30 years.

Commuters have mixed opinions. Some oppose the tax increase for reasons varying from higher costs of everyday living to worries about how the money would be spent.

Deanna Olsen, who commutes by bus from Avondale to her downtown Phoenix job as a phone-company dispatcher, said previous tax increases for transportation have failed to deliver on promises. "People are already struggling to make ends meet, but my bottom line is I don't trust government to do what they say they will do," she said.

But others, like Michael Hester, think the extra penny increase is worth it.

Hester, a data-processing consultant who commutes from Wittmann to downtown Phoenix, said he'd like to see rail service to venues like University of Phoenix Stadium, freeway improvements, even a fix-up of Grand Avenue, his commuting route. "I think it's a great idea," he said.

Thus far, opponents have criticized the proposal for the size of the tax increase, too much emphasis on transit and not enough reliance on the growing trend of using public-private partnerships to fund new transportation projects. The proposal suggests creating a fund to jump-start state participation in such partnerships but not as the primary funding source.

State Rep. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, said this week that he is trying to put together a competing plan of a half-cent increase in the state sales tax over 20 years to fund only roads, not transit.

Earning voters' trust

The key to earning voters' trust is making sure they understand the package, said Rod Diridon, executive director of California-based Mineta Transportation Institute, which has conducted research on effective transportation campaigns.

Diridon says growing worries about climate change and the outrage over high gas prices may work in TIME's favor. Transit systems are part of their plan.

Also, he said, the presidential election should bring a high voter turnout, which should work in its favor, too. He said direct mail is effective in these campaigns when the mailings carry endorsements from organizations and people "of merit" explaining the situation in a targeted message.

TIME already has a top government official in its corner. Gov. Janet Napolitano supports the TIME Act, but it's too early to say how she would fit into efforts to promote it, spokeswoman Jeanine L'Ecuyer said.

But, L'Ecuyer said, it may be incorrect to assume that concerns about the economy and a tax increase will doom a plan that offers relief to voters tired of traffic.

"I wouldn't go at it assuming it's an uphill battle," she said.

More on this topic

Public hearings

The state Transportation Board will hold four public hearings in June to hear comments on a proposed statewide transportation plan.

• June 4, 5-7 p.m., Northern Arizona University Cline Library Assembly Hall, Flagstaff.

• June 9, 5-7 p.m., Marana Municipal Complex Council Chambers, 11555 W. Civic Center Drive, Marana.

• June 11, 5-7 p.m., Phoenix Convention Center west building, rooms 106 B and C, 100 N. 3rd St., Phoenix.

• June 19, 9-11 a.m., Manning House, 450 W. Paseo Redondo, Tucson.

Don B.
May 31, 2008, 5:31 PM
^ With the economy in Arizona the way it is, this will go down in flames, like Valtrans. I predict a thumbs-down vote by two-thirds of the votes cast. Could not have come at a worse time.

--don

Sekkle
May 31, 2008, 6:12 PM
^ maybe not (though I agree the timing sucks)... From the EV Tribune...

Transportation tax survey yields mixed results
Mike Branom, Tribune

Most Arizonans agree the state’s transportation network is overburdened and underfunded, according to a recent study. But public sentiment is split whether revenue raised by a proposed tax increase would solve traffic problems or further damage an already weak economy.

Penny hike in sales tax eyed for transportation

At first glance, the survey contains good news for proponents of a major transportation initiative that will go before voters in November.

Fifty-four percent of those polled said they were likely to approve a statewide one-cent hike in the sales tax, with proceeds financing freeways, trains, buses and other transportation needs across Arizona. An even greater number, 59 percent, believed current funding sources are inadequate to meet the state’s needs over the next 30 years.

Meanwhile, only 20 percent expressed satisfaction with transportation systems in the state.

“Arizonans understand that we are at a crossroads,” said Doug Pruitt, who heads the group backing the measure. “They see the gridlock in our urban areas and our aging and inadequate rural infrastructure, and they understand the dire need to upgrade our transportation system to keep Arizona’s families and economy moving forward.”

Pruitt is chairman of a group called Transportation and Infrastructure Moving Arizona’s Economy, or TIME Coalition. The group crafted the initiative, which would raise an estimated $42 billion over 30 years.

But the survey showed citizens are concerned whether the tax increase will have the desired effect.

Respondents almost were evenly split over whether this was a good time to raise taxes, regardless of whether transportation improvements would help the economy. They were also divided about moving forward with the ballot measure or to conduct more studies on state transportation systems.

Because of those worries, by a 19-point margin (57 percent to 38 percent), most respondents recommended the vote be delayed until 2010.

The survey results also contained unfortunate news for Gov. Janet Napolitano, a major supporter of the measure.

When pollsters asked how transportation improvements should be funded, the most popular answer was to raise fees on developers.

Napolitano recently struck a deal with developers in which she agreed not to tax homebuilders in exchange for their support and $100,000 to kick-start the campaign.

The late March study surveyed 1,224 voters in Maricopa, Pima and Yavapai counties. Its margin of error is 2.9 percentage points.

Results will be presented today to the Maricopa Association of Governments, which funded the study.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/117265

vertex
May 31, 2008, 7:55 PM
I think a lot of Maricopa county voters are going to question how the TIME coalition's proposal will benefit them, seeing that they voted to extend the 1/2 cent transit tax (via prop. 400) back in 2004.

vertex
May 31, 2008, 8:05 PM

I went ahead and took that tour last Wednesday; a great experience all around.

Pics and video can be found in a thread I created in the Transportation forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=152053).

While the pics don't really include anything much newer than what Silverbear already posted, the update from an operations manager was good to hear.

One thing I heard (that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread) is that Valley Metro has tentatively approved a huge increase in the number of park-and-ride spaces along the initial route (not future routes). They plan on bringing at least 1000 more spaces online, including at least one other garage. They didn't say where yet, but I suspect it would be at the north end of the line.

Tfom
Jun 1, 2008, 3:17 AM
I can tell you what would help if they could educate people. I drive a hybrid which has a mpg meter in it. Normally the engine shuts off when I am driving slow or stopped, but now with the a/c running it doesn't do that as much. So I get a much more realistic picture of mpg in stop and go traffic (closer to a normal car). If people came to realize how much they are getting killed in gas when traffic is bad, they wouldn't be worrying about a 1 cent tax. Granted this won't fix everything, but doing nothing is certainly not going to pan out with gas at $4 a gallon. On a different note, I think they should make mpg meters mandatory in cars. It has caused me to change my driving habits, even though I drive a hybrid.

Sonoran_Dweller
Jun 2, 2008, 9:29 PM
The benefit of $4 a gallon gasoline (I'm an avid cycler and am happy to see more people choosing the two-wheelers):

http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/2008/06/02/20080602cr-bikecommutes0522.html

Interest grows in commuting by bike
As gas costs rise, firms move to accommodate workers who cycle

by Edythe Jensen - Jun. 2, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Skyrocketing gas prices are prompting more commuters to try bicycling to work - or at least to the nearest bus stop.

Several Valley cycle shops report higher sales of commuter models and demand for tuneups on bikes that have been gathering dust in back rooms or garages.

Some employers are responding by catering to workers' demands for secure bike lockers and showers.

"We don't have good data because so few cities do bicycle counts," said R.S. Matt, spokesman for the Coalition of Arizona Bicyclists and a Phoenix resident. "But you see more of them in the streets, and we're getting lots of calls for bicycle education."

Expensive fuel pushed Kristin Heumann, 23, to park her Honda Civic and start bicycling to work. The commute from her home in Chandler to her job at Freescale Semiconductor in Tempe takes 35 minutes - 20 minutes longer than by car.

"When I was in high school, it cost me $10 to fill the tank; now it's $40," she said. "I was tired of paying for the gas."

It helps that Freescale provides shaded and locked bicycle cages, and showers, Heumann said.

City employees in Scottsdale can stash their bicycles in a room with keypad access.

Municipal planner Reed Kempton, 56, rides his recumbent model 14 miles from Mesa. An avid cyclist since the 1970s, Kempton said he's helping novice commuters plan their bicycle routes and advising them to carry spare tire tubes and patch kits.

Welyang Zhang, a research scientist for Carl T. Hayden VA Medical Center in Phoenix, pedals four miles from his Chandler home to a Valley Metro bus stop, hoists his bike onto the bus rack, then rides another 4 miles to work from a Phoenix bus stop.

The trip takes 90 minutes, but Zhang, 59, said it's worth the time considering gas prices, environmental issues and health benefits.

Since he started cycling to and from bus stops three years ago, his cholesterol level dropped from over 200 to 120, and his body-mass index is a healthy 20.

Alan Blackmore, an employee with Global Bikes in Chandler said sales of commuter models have climbed 25 to 50 percent in recent months. They're the kind built for long-distance comfort, have seat suspension and sell for $500 or more.

"There's a direct correlation between gas prices and the number of people buying commuter bikes," Blackmore said.

Some customers mention fuel costs, but most claim they're trading gas pedals for bicycle pedals for the health and fitness benefits, he said.

Justin Lafferty, an employee for Landis Cyclery in Phoenix, said the store is getting an influx of new customers "who are pulling their old bikes out of the shed pretty much because of gas prices." They're coming in for parts, tuneups, baskets and racks, he said.

The popularity of bicycling is even influencing bus and light-rail designs.

Valley Metro's newer buses have exterior space for three bicycles, up from a single spot on the older buses, said spokeswoman Susan Tierney.

Matt said commuting cyclists are looking forward to light rail because they will be allowed to take their bikes inside the cars during off-peak hours.

When bus racks are full, cyclists can't get on because they're not allowed to carry their bikes inside.

Zhang said he sometimes has to wait 15 minutes for another bus when the rack on his express bus from Phoenix to Chandler is full.

With so many novices calling his organization for information, Matt said he spends a lot of time handing out safety advice: Obey traffic laws, wear bright clothing and a helmet. He expects a slowdown during the summer months because few employers offer shaded bicycle lockers or showers.

"When people invest $600 or $2,000 in a bike, they don't want to leave it out in the sunlight on a chain," he said.

Cyclists also want to wash off perspiration and dust.

They can do that at the VA medical center, which provides 58 locking bicycle sheds for employees.

At Intel in Chandler, bicycle racks stand in front of every building, and a gym with showers is available to cycling commuters, spokeswoman Dawn Jones said.

A few Chandler municipal buildings have showers, but not all have bicycle racks.

The city will likely install bike lockers and showers in new buildings, spokesman Jim Phipps said.

He recently tried bicycle commuting after he moved closer to downtown offices.

"My bike was collecting dust, so I decided to ride it to work one day," he said. "It was only about 3 miles and very easy. I think I'll take it to the bike shop and get it tuned . . . although I probably won't be riding to work during the summer."

admdavid
Jun 3, 2008, 9:51 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080603/ap_on_re_us/gas_prices_mass_transit_2

Not Phoenix-related directly, but...

WASHINGTON - It's standing-room-only on many commuter buses from Washington's suburbs. Rail systems from Boston to Los Angeles are begging passengers to shift their travel to non-peak hours. And some seats have been removed from San Francisco's subway cars to allow more people to cram in.

Around the country, high gas prices are pushing more people to leave their cars at home and crowd onto trains, buses and subways.

And while that's usually good news for transit agencies, some are struggling to accommodate new riders at a time when tight budgets are making local and state governments reluctant to put more money toward public transportation.

"I began last month taking the public bus to work because of the gas prices," said Tammy Vega of Austin, Texas, who also takes mass transit when she is on business trips. "Whether I'm in town or out of town, public transportation is going to be the way to go for now."

In the first three months of 2008, 2.6 billion trips were taken on public transportation in the U.S., a 3 percent increase over the first quarter of 2007, according to the American Public Transportation Association.

Among the cities registering big increases in the first quarter were Baltimore, where light rail ridership was up 17 percent from the same period a year ago; Seattle, which saw a 28 percent jump in commuter rail passengers; Boston, where subway ridership rose 9 percent; and San Antonio, where the number of bus riders climbed 11 percent.

Meanwhile, the number of miles driven on American roads fell slightly last year — from 3.014 trillion to 3.003 trillion, according to the Federal Highway Administration. It was the first time since 1980 that the figure had not increased. The drop has continued this year.

"We were always clearly a bargain, but we're becoming even more starkly, clearly the wise economic choice," said Daniel Grabauskas, general manager of Boston's Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

Many big transit systems already have expansion plans that were in the works long before the run-up in gas prices. In New York City, for example, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is in the middle of a $21.2 billion capital program that includes the biggest subway expansion since the system was completed in the early 1940s.

In Washington, Metro has been receiving additional subway cars, ordered long ago. The new cars have enabled the subway to lengthen many of its rush-hour trains from six to eight cars — the longest that will fit in the stations.

But the agency is also working on contingency plans prompted by high gas prices. Among the ideas: having certain lanes declared "bus only" on an emergency basis, and encouraging employers to stagger workers' schedules to ease rush-hour crowding.

Similarly, Boston's transit agency and Southern California's Metrolink commuter rail system are urging people to spread out their commutes.

Metrolink plans to add 107 rail cars to its fleet of 155, but it will take at least a year for the order to arrive, spokeswoman Denise Tyrell said. The agency has been leasing cars from other transit agencies, including those in Seattle and the San Francisco Bay area. But now some of those agencies want their cars back, she said.

In Philadelphia, where ridership on buses, subways, trolleys and commuter trains is up 5 percent in the first 10 months of the fiscal year from the same period a year earlier, the transit agency is switching to some longer buses.

Many transit systems can't afford to expand.

Cynthia Staab, assistant general manager of Tulsa Transit in Oklahoma, said demand is at record levels, but there is no money for more buses. "The city of Tulsa just has a lot of needs," she said. "We compete with police and fire in the general fund."

Also, transit agencies' operating costs are going up for the same reason commuters are leaving their cars home — rising gas prices. In response, many transit agencies are looking at fare increases. And some are even cutting service despite the higher demand, said spokeswoman Virginia Miller, a spokeswoman for the mass transit association.

Still, many transit officials look at high gas prices as a great opportunity to change people's attitudes about public transportation.

"You've had this great resource in your community," said Jawauna Greene, a spokeswoman for the Maryland Transit Administration, "and you've driven right by it in your big ol' SUV."

And people are saying light rail won't be used...

If anything, there's going to be a push to build it out further and faster as gas prices go higher and higher.

HX_Guy
Jun 3, 2008, 10:06 PM
Wow...$21.2 Billion?! And the people in Phoenix complain about the $1.6 Billion light rail.

exit2lef
Jun 3, 2008, 11:32 PM
Wow...$21.2 Billion?! And the people in Phoenix complain about the $1.6 Billion light rail.

Yes, NYC is finally moving forward on the 2nd Avenue subway after decades of talk. That's where a lot of the $21.2 billion comes into play.

Bringing this back to Phoenix, my employer has just moved me to a building that is better served by Valley Metro than my prior location. Using my employer-provided bus card, I rode the bus to work today for the first time in a few years. The buses were noticeably more crowded than in the past.

andrewkfromaz
Jun 4, 2008, 4:37 PM
First time in a few years? I'll bet you're glad not to have to shell out $4/gal for gas quite as often!

exit2lef
Jun 4, 2008, 4:49 PM
First time in a few years? I'll bet you're glad not to have to shell out $4/gal for gas quite as often!

Absolutely. Although I'm a big transit supporter, until recently I was working in a building situated 3/4 of a mile along a road with no sidewalks from the nearest bus stop. Fortunately, my employer moved me to a building right by an arterial street well served by Valley Metro just around the time gas hit $4 per gallon.

Tfom
Jun 7, 2008, 5:29 AM
So I have a question and a comment. My questions has to do with the fact that Phoenix does not access federal money for its loop roads (101, 202, and 51, 60 which I guess aren't loops but I dont know what to call them). Why is that?

The second is a comment, which I have meant to post for awhile now. I have noticed on our freeway signs that there are very few signs on the highways that give any indication of downtown Phoenix. In other cities, there are several road signs that will indicate downtown or central areas of cities. In terms of major road signs, the only one I can think of is on the 202 WB just before the mini stack which says "Central Phoenix." Coming S on the 51 to the mini stack it says, "I-10 W Los Angeles." There are the small brown signs that indicate the cultural and sports facilities, but they are not very... eye catching. Maybe it is a small thing, but I think this is a subtle but important way of overlooking DT... and Midtown for that matter. Any thoughts, or insight into why this is?

PHX31
Jun 7, 2008, 6:57 AM
/\I've thought about that before too. And I have also wondered why they don't name suburb or satellite cities on the guide signs (instead of I-10 | East | Tucson somewhere in Central Phoenix, they should read I-10 | East | Tempe or Chandler. It's done all over Los Angeles, etc.

I should have figured out a better answer by now (as for about a year my boss and I designed all the overhead guidesigns on I-10 through central Phoenix from 3rd St to the US 60 - a project we did for ADOT). But it has to do with ADOT's standards and naming conventions. The guide signs need to show "destination cities" (I don't think that is the actual term, but I can't think of it right now) outside of the city you are in, rather than something like an attraction or certain place (like downtown phoenix) within town. They can have various signs on the sides of the road to point to certain places (sometimes... even that can get hairy and political... if you have a sign that points to, say, Arizona Mills Mall in Tempe, the City of Mesa will get jealous and want something in their city "advertised") but typically not. Outliers to these standards are usually just lapses in the designers or a lack of knowledge or a lapse in strictness by ADOT's plans reviewers and approvers. Or some kind of agreement. For some reason, the local highways (101, 202, 51) are standardized to not put any "destination city" on the overhead guide sign. I would think it would be helpful though, ie if an out-of-towner is on the I-17 northbound in Phoenix and comes to the 101 interchange.... the 101 East sign should also indicate a city, like Scottsdale, and the 101 West sign should also indicate a city, like Glendale. But it's ADOT's preference to leave out that info. Although, there are a couple exceptions to this... on the 202 eastbound approaching the 101, there are overhead Loop 101 guide signs that indicate Chandler, etc.

In conclusion, yeah, who the hell knows.

Tfom
Jun 7, 2008, 11:19 PM
That seems pretty dumb to me. With a mix of highways within the city, I am certain if I didn't know my way around I would be wondering how to get to Tempe or DT Phx, or whatever. However you would have to be a dolt to not know that taking I-10 W takes you to LA and E takes you to Tucson.

Sekkle
Jun 8, 2008, 12:12 AM
So I have a question and a comment. My questions has to do with the fact that Phoenix does not access federal money for its loop roads (101, 202, and 51, 60 which I guess aren't loops but I dont know what to call them). Why is that?

Are you sure about that? These are a couple excerpts from a random PDF (http://www.azdot.gov/board/agendas/PDF_Archive/081801_agen.pdf) on ADOT's website...

BIDS OPENED: August 2
HIGHWAY: RED MOUNTAIN FREEWAY (202L)
SECTION: Gilbert Road – Higley Road
COUNTY: Maricopa
ROUTE NO: SR 202L
PROJECT: ACSTP-600-8(10)B 202L MA 017 H529901C
FUNDING: 87% Federal 5% RARF 8% City of Mesa

BIDS OPENED: July 20
HIGHWAY: PIMA FREEWAY (SR 101L)
SECTION: Shea Boulevard – Thomas Road
COUNTY: Maricopa
ROUTE NO: 101L
PROJECT: STP-101-B(1)P 101L MA 041 H582301C
FUNDING: 94% Federal 6% State

The guide signs need to show "destination cities" (I don't think that is the actual term, but I can't think of it right now)
"Control City"

Tfom
Jun 8, 2008, 2:21 AM
I'm not positive about the federal money thing, but they do call them SR, instead of Interstates. I'm just trying to figure it out.

Sekkle
Jun 8, 2008, 3:09 AM
"Interstate" is basically just a highway designation that indicates that the highway has controlled access, four lanes minimum (2 each direction) and was built as part of the Eisenhower Interstate System. Of course, lots of controlled access highways are not formally called interstates (e.g. US 60, SR 101, etc.). I don't know if, when the interstate system was built it was all done with federal funds or not. I assume there was state and local money involved as well, but I'm not sure. But I do know that now, if (for example) ADOT wants to widen I-10 in Arizona, it will be an ADOT project, not a Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) project. ADOT is also responsible for maintenance on the interstate highways in Arizona, just as CalTrans is responsible for those in California. This is pretty easy to see when you travel to a different state on an interstate highway and, often as soon as you cross the state line, you can notice a difference in pavement. FHWA is responsible for oversight on federally funded projects. Also, many state highways (designated "State Route...") receive federal funding through various transportation bills. Long, rambling answer... I'll shut up now. :)

PHX31
Jun 8, 2008, 6:12 AM
/\ yeah, it's pretty interesting (in a nerdy/completely pointless sort of way) to pick out differences in construction and design standards between, say, Caltrans and ADOT (or any other two states). For instance, in California, all (most) ground mounted signs use wooden posts, whereas in AZ, those aren't "allowed" and you rarely if ever see wooden posts.

"Control City"

Yes, thank you!

tempedude
Jun 9, 2008, 1:58 PM
About 8 months ago, I commented on azcentral about how popular the bus sytem and light rail will be once gas prices soar to around $5 a gallon. Lawd I got pummeled by all the car lovers who said they would never ride public mass transit because it was good only for gangs and losers. :koko:

HMMM...I wonder how many of those people who beat me into the ground for supporting mass transit are actually riding the bus today, or plan on riding the metro rail when it opens in December.

From the Arizona Republic:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/06/09/20080609bus0609.html

Bus ridership soars, but high costs limit expansion plans

by Jahna Berry - Jun. 9, 2008 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Ask April Wise why she rides the bus, and she will tell you how much it costs to fill her gas tank.

"I save about $400 a month," said the north Phoenix resident who commutes downtown to her job at a military processing center. Wise started riding about six weeks ago, after gas hit $3.50 per gallon, she said.

Ballooning gas prices - now a little more than $4 a gallon in some parts of the Valley - are changing the way many motorists commute to central Phoenix, a key regional employment
center. Like commuters across the country, many are trading their car keys for bus cards.

Although buses are more popular than ever, transit agencies can't dramatically increase bus service anytime soon because of fuel and labor costs, officials say. And the surge in ridership will have a limited impact on public transit's bottom line because fares cover about 25 percent of Valley Metro's expenses, said Susan Tierney spokeswoman for the agency.

A big shift

The recent surge in bus riders has been striking, especially for the car-loving Valley, Tierney said.

"It's a whole paradigm shift," said Tierney, adding that on many routes, riders have taken for granted that they will snag a seat on the bus. "We are seeing something that we largely haven't seen before: people standing on buses."

Usually boardings - essentially one rider's one-way bus trip - go up 6 or 7 percent during a gas-price hike, she said.

In April, daily boardings on Rapid and Express buses shot up nearly 18 percent compared with the same month last year.

Rapid and Express buses are geared toward commuters and use the freeway for part of their routes. They cost slightly more than a regular bus ride: $1.75 for a one-way trip instead of $1.25.

Bus figures can be tricky to interpret. One boarding can't necessarily be counted as a person because a single rider might catch the bus twice in a day. Also, some riders carpool to work and take the bus home.

Valley trend

But it's clear that more commuters are leaving their car keys at home.

• At the Pecos Road park-and-ride in Ahwatukee Foothills, about 650 to 700 morning commuters take Rapid buses to downtown Phoenix, said Jonathan Dutson of Akal Security, a firm that monitors the lot and counts riders. A few months ago, that number was 400, Dutson said.

• In Tempe, daily boardings jumped 33 percent from February to May on a weekday Express bus route from Price and Broadway roads to downtown Phoenix. That May ridership figure is 75 percent higher than it was last year, said Sue Taaffe, a spokeswoman for Tempe's transportation department.

• In Glendale, a downtown Phoenix Express bus route that starts near Loop 101 and 75th Avenue more than doubled its daily ridership in three months, said Matthew Dudley, a Glendale transit-planning manager.

National figures mirror the Valley trend.

In the first three months of this year, people in the U.S. took nearly 85 million more trips on public transit than the same period last year, according to the American Public Transit Association. Those riders took 2.6 billion trips in January, February and March, the group reports.

Veteran Valley bus riders say that seats are getting scarce and park-and-ride lots are filling up.

Andrew Niles, a regular at the Ahwatukee Foothills park-and-ride, takes the bus to avoid the stress of bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic. He sees plenty of new faces these days.

"It's more crowded, especially in the afternoon," said the Phoenix resident who works in downtown Phoenix.

And more than a few downtown bus riders have left a fuel-hogging truck or SUV in their driveway.

"What I was driving before was a real gas guzzler," said Chase employee Barry Harris, 50, of Phoenix. "A Ford Expedition."

Thirst for options

Across the board, interest in many transit programs is high, transit officials say.

There has been an 80 percent jump in requests for carpool match lists, according to Valley Metro.

There has been a 20 percent increase in the number of bus trips made by riders who participate in employer-subsidized bus-fare programs, said Matthew Heil, a spokesman for Phoenix's Public Transit Department.

And with gas and food prices expected to remain high for the near future, that enthusiasm could mean more riders when the 20-mile light-rail line debuts in December.

"People are looking for options," said Tierney, the Valley Metro spokeswoman. "Although we are adding service, (in some areas) the demand is exceeding the supply."

Tight budgets

It's more expensive to fill a bus fuel tank these days, and if an agency wants to invest in new buses, it isn't cheap. A new bus can cost as much as $750,000, officials say.

Sales-tax revenue, the well for many local government programs and transit projects, is down due to the economy.

Recently, Phoenix's transit office was part of a painful round of citywide budget cuts. The office trimmed $3.3 million of its $213 million annual operating budget, said Lauri Wingenroth, assistant public-transit director.

The transit office cut a bus route that mirrors the light-rail route, reduced internal-technology support, will clean some bus shelters less frequently, and will not fill vacant posts, Wingenroth said.

There is some relief in sight for riders.

Light rail will add more options for commuters. Several cities, including Glendale and Phoenix, have pre-existing plans to expand park-and-ride parking lots, and an Express route between Chandler and Scottsdale will debut this summer, transit officials say.

But in the public-transit world, supply usually lags behind demand because a lot of money is already spoken for, officials say.

"What money we have is completely scheduled out," said Tierney of Valley Metro. "We don't have money sitting around to expand."

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3087/2563947047_4dc57cacf2_o.jpg
Photo: Michael Chow/The Arizona Republic

exit2lef
Jun 9, 2008, 4:33 PM
About 8 months ago, I commented on azcentral about how popular the bus sytem and light rail will be once gas prices soar to around $5 a gallon. Lawd I got pummeled by all the car lovers who said they would never ride public mass transit because it was good only for gangs and losers. :koko:

HMMM...I wonder how many of those people who beat me into the ground for supporting mass transit are actually riding the bus today, or plan on riding the metro rail when it opens in December.

From the Arizona Republic:

AZ Central lets the inmates run the asylum on its mismanaged Web site. I've given up on having an intelligent conversation with anyone in its undermoderated comments. As for ridership, I've been taking the bus to work most days since June 1 and I've been on a few standing-room only buses. I've never seen that before in Phoenix.

Sonoran_Dweller
Jun 9, 2008, 10:58 PM
I've been on a few standing-room only buses. I've never seen that before in Phoenix.

Really? I have been a ValleyMetro bus rider for the past three years, and I have had many standing-room only rides. Most of them were during the afternoon rush-hour leaving ASU. But also about 2 years ago, I rode a jam-packed bus (the most crowded, sardine-squished bus I have ever ridden in Phoenix) on a Saturday afternoon. I was going north on Central Avenue (Red Line, Blue Line, or Route 0) north of Downtown. And there was no special event that afternoon in Downtown, no games or anything like that. It was probably just a lot of the people doing their Saturday errands at the same time. I feel ashamed to say this, but it got so packed that I just couldn't take it anymore. I got off at a stop then walked about 1 mile to where I needed to get off. Even last summer (the high temperature was 105) the Green Line (Thomas Road) was standing-room only.

You must have not ridden a lot of buses, or looked inside of them, because I have had full buses on many, many occasions. Well, silverbear, glad to see that you are riding the buses, hope you like them, I sure do.

HX_Guy
Jun 9, 2008, 11:43 PM
I was on the I-10 westbound at 7th Ave today going to the I-17 northbound and there is definitely a noticable difference in the cars on the road. It was about 4:15 and I don't ever remember seeing it so open at that time...I did 60 MPH all the way to Happy Valley Rd. The I-10 coming out of the tunnel has always been almost at a standstill or going 5-10 MPH as is the I-17 north after you merge.

PHX31
Jun 10, 2008, 12:03 AM
Maybe there was an accident somewhere (I-17 north, to the south of the stack) that made traffic free flowing.

Or just maybe less people can afford to drive.

Don B.
Jun 10, 2008, 12:04 AM
^ Some of this could be related to the summer exodus, as some Phoenicians are gone for the summer, like myself.

Another factor to consider is that many people (some legal, some illegal) are packing up and leaving Phoenix for less harsh climates, and I'm not necessarily talking about our weather. Our hyperventilation over "illegals" is driving many to other less conservative states, especially in the midwest and south. Texas, I believe, is seeing a large influx of people from Arizona, to just name one state. The fact their housing is half of the price of Phoenix's still over-priced housing market may also be a factor in this exodus.

I still predict that Phoenix may actually see very little net population gain from 2000 to 2010. There's some evidence that the out-migration has exceeded in-migration for the last few months, if not the latter part of 2007.

--don

exit2lef
Jun 10, 2008, 12:24 AM
Really? I have been a ValleyMetro bus rider for the past three years, and I have had many standing-room only rides..

As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, a relocation of my work site has given me the opportunity to use the bus for the first time in several years. It is certainly possible that the SRO crowds have been building up over the last few years, but they've been a revelation to me over the past few weeks. Hope that clarifies things. And, yes, my experience on Valley Metro has been pretty good so far.

andrewkfromaz
Jun 10, 2008, 5:00 PM
As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, a relocation of my work site has given me the opportunity to use the bus for the first time in several years. It is certainly possible that the SRO crowds have been building up over the last few years, but they've been a revelation to me over the past few weeks. Hope that clarifies things. And, yes, my experience on Valley Metro has been pretty good so far.

A huge part of the difference is time of day. A ride during the afternoon versus the evening will have night and day differences in terms of occupancy. Even at mid-day there could easily be plenty of seating versus packed buses a few hours earlier during morning commute times.

I wonder how difficult it would be for Valley Metro to add commuter (ie RAPID) buses? It seems like the higher cost of the bus itself would be partially offset by the need for fewer buses and the higher fares. I think there would be a pretty big impact in terms of improving rider experience b/c of the surge in RAPID ridership over the past few months.

Vicelord John
Jun 10, 2008, 5:04 PM
I used to ride the blue line from central/thomas to central/monroe every morning at 5 am when I worked in the wyndham. Let me tell you it was a total and complete rarity when I was able to get a seat. This was back in 2005

tempedude
Jun 10, 2008, 5:14 PM
I rode the Red Line from Tempe to Sky Harbor and Downtown PHX several times in the past year. Mostly during the midday hours, and often found it to be full and standing room only at times.