PDA

View Full Version : Metro Phoenix Transit/Transportation Developments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86

pbenjamin
May 18, 2009, 7:40 PM
So refresh my memory, is the lot south of the current stop or the one you want them to move to?

The one that he wants them to move to. It is really annoying. The bus blocks a lane of traffic on Thomas while there is a pullout a couple of buslengths beyond it that is unused.

glynnjamin
May 18, 2009, 8:13 PM
Ya, Im familiar with the problem...have seen it back up a couple times as I'm headed south on Central. Get's pretty annoying. I just couldn't think of where the private parking lot was.

kaneui
May 19, 2009, 12:43 AM
Council to vote Monday on light-rail future in Mesa
by Gary Nelson
May. 15, 2009 12:32 PM
The Arizona Republic

Why "penny-wise but pound-foolish" Mesa didn't opt to have the initial Metro line extend a few more miles into their downtown is beyond me, as now it's going to cost them a lot more. (But then again, when did anything Mesa ever do make sense?) Ah, the wonders of America's largest suburb...

PhxPavilion
May 19, 2009, 12:49 AM
...you have to notice that the new downtown Sheraton is a Gumby-headed tombstone.

This observation made me laugh.

Leo the Dog
May 19, 2009, 3:21 AM
Why "penny-wise but pound-foolish" Mesa didn't opt to have the initial Metro line extend a few more miles into their downtown is beyond me, as now it's going to cost them a lot more. (But then again, when did anything Mesa ever do make sense?) Ah, the wonders of America's largest suburb...

Agreed. Mesa has no long range vision what-so-ever. They are only concerned with the present situation, whatever that may be. I was asking myself that same question when the original proposal was to bring LR to downtown Mesa and they refused. :koko:

admdavid
May 19, 2009, 3:25 AM
But, I do think it's good they are thinking about how to get it to Gilbert Rd and then onto Gateway today. Maybe the new mayor can forge some vision that will bleed through the rest of the city gov't.

glynnjamin
May 19, 2009, 5:18 AM
You mean they aren't just focused on the Waveyard? No! But the girl on the news who sells cookies in downtown Mesa said that they would lose business because she doesn't think people will go there with the construction. Ugh. I wish I owned a business on the line so I could stand up and say "listen, fuckers, we are talking about forcing thousands...hell...millions of people to go by your place in the span of a few months. You think anyone DRIVES by your place and wants to stop in downtown Mesa???

NIXPHX77
May 19, 2009, 7:05 AM
Re: the architectural tour via light rail -
the best thing to me about Watson Flowers is their big, cool old neon sign.

nickkoto
May 19, 2009, 7:18 AM
Re: the architectural tour via light rail -
the best thing to me about Watson Flowers is their big, cool old neon sign.

It is a cool sign, a really cool sign, and it's a shame that the new traffic signals obstruct it so much. They couldn't just put a pole with a traffic light there, they had to use a thick-framed structure with a huge green street sign. I've kind of wondered how unhappy the ownership must be about that.

pbenjamin
May 19, 2009, 2:42 PM
Anybody see any ONE-car trains lately? This picture was posted on city data...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/haulasshyena/CIMG0659.jpg

PHX31
May 19, 2009, 3:40 PM
/\ Is that from recently? With the cop standing there it looks like it might have been taken during the testing period before it opened.

gymratmanaz
May 19, 2009, 3:44 PM
I agree. It is a testing picture.

pbenjamin
May 19, 2009, 6:22 PM
No idea of the vintage, had just never seen one.

Leo the Dog
May 20, 2009, 11:43 AM
^ I think its an old picture. I really hope Metro doesn't ever run one car trains, unless they increase the frequency that which they run to 5 mins. But that'll never happen due to funding issues.

PhxPavilion
May 20, 2009, 2:32 PM
Anybody see any ONE-car trains lately? This picture was posted on city data...

I have, just yesterday a 1 car train passed me at a light in downtown but it wasn't in service. I haven't seen any three car trains for awhile either.

gymratmanaz
May 20, 2009, 3:58 PM
three cars run on weekends and special events

glynnjamin
May 20, 2009, 4:13 PM
^The probably won't have to run them any more for the Dbacks games the way the season is going.

Vicelord John
May 20, 2009, 5:50 PM
^The probably won't have to run them any more for the Dbacks games the way the season is going.

seriously, hasn't attendance been averaging under 20K?

pbenjamin
May 20, 2009, 8:31 PM
Average attendance so far is 27,301. Not all that bad considering how awful they have played, way too many Rockies games, a visit by the Nationals, school not being out yet, etc. Last year when they were in 1st place most of the season they averaged just under 31K. Future doesn't look too bright though. 2005 and 2006 were in the 25s.

trigirdbers
May 20, 2009, 9:33 PM
Metro to 2 AM, Great success!!!!!

From AZ Central's light rail blog:

"Metro OKs late trains amid financial woesMetro will start late night service on weekends in July. That was one of several important outcomes of a packed agenda for a Metro board meeting that ended a little while ago.

Metro also decided to:
> Market free rail passes with Phoenix Suns tickets,
> Find a head-hunter to replace Metro CEO Rick Simonetta,
> Add security guards at the park-and-ride lots at the East Valley stations, and
> Put off a decision to pass a $34 million annual operating budget when they learned that consultants’ revenue forecasts were way higher than what Metro is actually collecting from fares.

In other business, planners told the board that the economic slump will force Metro to delay by one-to-two years the upcoming extensions and that plans to extend light rail toward Paradise Valley Mall may have to wait until voters adopt a new sales tax. The problem is the last transportation tax, Prop. 400, is bringing in billions of dollars less than expected. No decision was reached. A vote is scheduled for June 17.

If Metro’s long term finances weren’t a big enough concern, the day-to-day revenues are a more pressing issue. Before light rail opened in December, consultants at Booz Allen Hamilton told Metro it could expect to collect an average 84 cents per ride in fares. In reality, Metro has been collecting closer to 60 cents, Simonetta and finance chief John McCormack told the board today.

Fares are set to jump in July ($1.25 to $1.75 for a one-way ticket), based on the logic that the trains could recoup 29 percent of their costs from fares. Today, Simonetta and McCormack said that was unrealistic, but they could meet the mandate of recovering 25 percent of costs.

There has been a lot of discussion on this blogsite about fare cheats. Simonetta reported that the compliance rate (among those who are inspected) is 99.8 percent. The inspection rate climbed from 9 percent in January to 16 percent last month. The problem, it appears, isn’t cheats, but those finicky machines and people still not recording their fares when they use passes. Metro has started a blitz (new ads in trains, platform sandwich boards, and station volunteers) to remind people how to tap their cards on the orange readers properly.

So how can Metro afford late-night trains, you ask? Plan A is to seek federal grants, and Metro has a fair shot at them. Plan B is to use some of the savings that cities accrued when the feds paid back early and extra money for the construction of the 20-mile starter line. Owl trains will cost about $256,000 a year to run. The feds saved the region double that in interest payments.

What is new since last I blogged on this: Metro won’t run a one-year experiment. Late trains will be part of service from now on. That means the last train will cruise through downtown Phoenix and downtown Tempe just after 2 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday, operations chief Jay Harper said."

- Sean Holstege

HX_Guy
May 20, 2009, 9:45 PM
Awesome and it happened pretty quick.

trigirdbers
May 20, 2009, 9:56 PM
Yep- Time to start working on Thursday.

Vicelord John
May 21, 2009, 12:19 AM
Fucking Yes Yes Yes To The Drunk Express!

Leo the Dog
May 21, 2009, 1:01 AM
Awesome and it happened pretty quick.

I was thinking the exact same thing. :cheers:

Can't Wait!

nickkoto
May 21, 2009, 4:58 AM
Quote from the blog above:There has been a lot of discussion on this blogsite about fare cheats. Simonetta reported that the compliance rate (among those who are inspected) is 99.8 percent. The inspection rate climbed from 9 percent in January to 16 percent last month. The problem, it appears, isn’t cheats, but those finicky machines and people still not recording their fares when they use passes. Metro has started a blitz (new ads in trains, platform sandwich boards, and station volunteers) to remind people how to tap their cards on the orange readers properly.

I bet if they placed the card readers a little more strategically (or even have one aboard each car), it would be a lot less of an issue.

For example, I go to ASU and go through that University/Rural station a lot. The walkway from the campus puts you squarely in the middle of the SW platform, but they only have card readers at each end of it (like 30ft past each end). I've seen plenty of people walking towards the platform, notice the train coming, and make a run for the train rather than taking the detour to swipe their cards and waiting 10-15 minutes for the next train. Hell, I've done it myself (sure Mr. Fare Inspector, the machine must not be working).

I imagine that the ASU U-passes make up a very large percentage of the passes anyway, so just adding a card swiper to that one platform would probably make a noticeable difference.

combusean
May 21, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'm confused by this ... I remember seeing the schedule a while ago and it looked like the last trains all pulled into the M&O facility at 1:00 AM.

I haven't been riding the trains late at night but it almost seems like they did have it late, gimped it, and are now running it an hour or so later than they should have to begin with.

What am I missing?

HooverDam
May 21, 2009, 11:06 AM
Wait, Im confused. If I dont have a month or ASU pass, and I buy a ticket, and hit the activate now button, I should be good, right? Whats this 'tapping' nonsense?

EDIT: VVV Ok thats what I thought, thanks!

exit2lef
May 21, 2009, 1:20 PM
Quote from the blog above:

I bet if they placed the card readers a little more strategically (or even have one aboard each car), it would be a lot less of an issue.

For example, I go to ASU and go through that University/Rural station a lot. The walkway from the campus puts you squarely in the middle of the SW platform, but they only have card readers at each end of it (like 30ft past each end). I've seen plenty of people walking towards the platform, notice the train coming, and make a run for the train rather than taking the detour to swipe their cards and waiting 10-15 minutes for the next train. Hell, I've done it myself (sure Mr. Fare Inspector, the machine must not be working).

I imagine that the ASU U-passes make up a very large percentage of the passes anyway, so just adding a card swiper to that one platform would probably make a noticeable difference.

Agreed. Some stations have dedicated card readers that are separate from the ticket vending machines. There are other stations that should have them, but don't. 44th St. / Washington desperately needs dedicated card readers. A lot of the passengers there are from out-of-town and have just arrived at Sky Harbor. While they take 10 minutes to figure out the ticket machines, sometimes I'll miss my train if I wait my turn to tap.

Wait, Im confused. If I dont have a month or ASU pass, and I buy a ticket, and hit the activate now button, I should be good, right? Whats this 'tapping' nonsense?

Tapping applies only to transit passes. Tickets for a single day don't need to be tapped.

pbenjamin
May 21, 2009, 7:10 PM
What is confusing to me is that the fare inspectors were supposed to have gizmos that could check a transit pass to determine whether or not it had been tapped. If they are reporting compliance of 99.8% shouldn't that compliance include "tapping"?

exit2lef
May 21, 2009, 8:50 PM
What is confusing to me is that the fare inspectors were supposed to have gizmos that could check a transit pass to determine whether or not it had been tapped. If they are reporting compliance of 99.8% shouldn't that compliance include "tapping"?

They've started to use those -- not all the time, but at least once I've had a fare inspector take my pass and scan it with a handheld device to ensure that I had tapped.

Leo the Dog
May 22, 2009, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know how Metro can tally a rider-ship number so precise?

I have a 31 day local pass that doesn't require "tapping". Every time I board, unless I am asked to present my pass for inspection, I don't know how they would count my rides.

Is it an equation? Ex: 31 day pass = 40 trips?

exit2lef
May 22, 2009, 1:30 PM
Does anyone know how Metro can tally a rider-ship number so precise?

I have a 31 day local pass that doesn't require "tapping". Every time I board, unless I am asked to present my pass for inspection, I don't know how they would count my rides.

Is it an equation? Ex: 31 day pass = 40 trips?

Sensors in the train doors count the number of passengers entering the trains.

Leo the Dog
May 23, 2009, 2:39 PM
^ Thanks. I had no idea. Thats pretty cool.

HooverDam
May 26, 2009, 10:55 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/05/26/20090526lostfares0526.html

Subsidized passes problem for light rail
When riders don't scan cards, Metro can't recoup fares
7 comments by Sean Holstege - May. 26, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
The Valley's light-rail system is losing hundreds of thousands of dollars because passengers with transit passes from their employers end up getting free rides.

Unchecked, the losses will create pressure to raise fares or cut back on service.

The problem has less to do with Metro's honor system, which allows riders to board without passing through turnstiles, than with the program that allows Valley employers to provide transit-pass cards to their employees.

Many Valley employers subsidize the cards for their employees at varying rates. They pay Metro for them, not at a flat rate but based on how many times the employees ride the train or bus.

Because many riders are failing to tap their cards against orange electronic readers at each station when they board, the transit agency is being shorted. Without a ride being recorded, it can't bill the rider's employer for the fare.

Metro uses electronic equipment that counts the number of riders aboard a train and inspectors who check tickets at random. By comparing results and the number of fares it collects, it can estimate how many subsidized-pass riders are getting free rides.

In February, for example, Metro gave away 174,000 rides, or 19 percent of total rides, because of subsidized-pass problems, agency records show. That share declined to 15 percent in March and 10 percent in April.

The result for all three months was a loss of at least $328,000. The shortfall ultimately affects the cities that subsidize the trains: Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa.

Last week, Metro's governing board learned the agency is collecting an average of 60 cents per ride, much less than the 84 cents a ride projected earlier by a Metro consultant.

Metro's finance team proposed a $34 million operating budget next year that assumes fares will cover 25 percent of the cost, the required minimum. In March, Metro approved a sharp fare increase, which kicks in July 1, in order to bring that share up to 29 percent.

The governing board cited increasing costs for the hike. Now, because of the Platinum Pass issue, the 29 percent share likely won't be reached.

"I'm troubled by the change at this time," said Tempe Public Works Manager Glenn Kephart, who represented the city at last week's meeting. "We based our city budget on the 29 percent rate, and now, just five months into operations, it's wrong."

Cities may have to cut transit service as a result, Kephart said.

Valley's pass system unusual
Many U.S. metropolitan areas encourage employers to promote transit use to help reduce freeway congestion and air pollution. But the transit-pass program in the Phoenix area is unusual.

In other cities, employers offer discounted monthly transit passes to their workers, who pay fares upfront for unlimited use or as they go. Payments typically go straight to the transit agencies.

Here, employees with Platinum Passes have their fares deducted from their paychecks, up to $45 a month for local bus and rail rides and $65 for Express and Rapid bus. But actual payment to the system doesn't occur until the Phoenix Public Transit Department sends a monthly bill to employers.

The bill is based on the total number of times employees tap their cards on the orange readers. Depending on the number of rides taken, employers may owe less than the total cost of the pass. In that case, they keep the difference.

Phoenix Public Transit collects the payments, calculates how many rides began in each city and distributes the revenue to each city's transit agency or to Metro based on the average fare.

Twenty-five to 30 percent of Metro riders carry Platinum Passes, so missed taps can add up to a lot of unpaid fares.

Metro also loses fares to scofflaws who simply don't pay for a ticket and don't get caught and because of broken ticket machines. But about 40 percent of lost fares for rail transit are due to Platinum Pass holders who don't tap their cards, Metro chief Rick Simonetta said.

They often don't know they must tap in or are in too much of a hurry to do so.

"I really think it is time for us in the transit business to call into question whether (Platinum Pass) is what we should be using," Simonetta said.

Metro is trying to address the problem with various approaches.

Education, enforcement, repairs
One is education: The agency recently launched a campaign to remind passengers to use the Platinum Pass and how to do so. New signs went up inside trains advising people to "touch, hold and go."

A pass is valid and a fare is paid only when the machine chimes, a second green light flashes and the screen displays a "thank you" message.

Metro also placed signs and orange-vested volunteers on station platforms to explain the system.

A second prong is enforcement: Metro has stepped up inspections on trains, which appears to be working. The percentage of riders inspected doubled from January to April, to 16 percent, and the number of citations rose from 13 to 148. Cardholders who don't tap the readers upon boarding face fines of up to $500.

The number of free rides involving the Platinum Pass system fell from 174,000 in February to 107,000 in April.

The final approach is working with vendor Scheidt & Bachmann to fix technical glitches. Simonetta said most machines have been fixed and are working well. In June, he said, data will indicate whether the strategy to rein in free rides by Platinum Pass holders is working.

"We're going to continue to focus on this," Simonetta said.

Hopefully they get that corrected. Incidentally the shortfall is about the same as the cost to run late night trains. So it would seem to me if they can get this down to 1 or 2% of rides, they'd be able to run the late night trains with out much of a budget increase (versus having to eat the subsidized rides).

Don B.
May 26, 2009, 2:37 PM
If they have sensors in the doors that can automatically count passengers as they enter and/or leave the light rail trains, why not have sensors that can automatically scan and "tap" the cards? That way, you don't need to waste people's time with tapping the cards manually, especially since I'm sure some people just forget or don't know to tap, especially when the only place you can tap them is way down at the end of the platform.

Seems technology would have a solution to this problem.

I also think there could be a way to identify people who don't buy a ticket automatically. Perhaps have a red light shine on them and the voice "fare cheat" start repeating over and over again. That would stop people from not buying passes real quick...

--don

glynnjamin
May 26, 2009, 4:44 PM
They should just put the yellow tap-pads on the car itself. I don't have a pass but I know if I did, I would just jump on the train if my options were wait in line, tap, miss the train...or just get on and take my chances. As a rider who buys a pass whenever he is going to use it, I always make sure I have a ticket (because I want to support the system and because I don't want to get busted).

The issues with making a reader that just read the passes are numerous. For 1, you would need a much higher powered RFID reader to scan through people's pockets, purses, wallets etc. At that intensity, there would be little way to keep it from checking everyone in the car. Then you get an issue of being scanned multiple times (especially if you change cars or are forced to exit the train and wait for the next one because you are on an end-of-day run). The rider really needs to be responsible for tapping their card. Even if they put a sign at the stops that said "Did you forget to tap your card when you got on? Do it now!" it could make a difference.

Also, I don't understand why a business would pay per ride. The whole system seems flawed in that instance. Why don't normal users have that option? Why can't I buy a 30-ride pass and just tap it when I use it (ignoring the obvious fare cheating possibilities)? A rider who receives a card from his/her business is going to be more likely to not tap because they are so far removed from the cost of the pass.
If I were a large business, I would have ValleyMetro charge me the the normal pass rate or slightly discounted (since I'm buying so many). I would tell my employees that their cards are unique to them. They are to be used to reduce the number of commuters to the office. Employees who receive one and fail to use at least 50% of each month would be charged the cost of the card. Seems simple. Don't like it, go work somewhere else.

HooverDam
May 26, 2009, 10:30 PM
This is going on tonight if anyones interested:

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.com/2009/05/21/1590/

RadiatePhx 5/26

METRO Light Rail: Are we on the right track?

Get on board with guest panelists Nick Bastian with RailLife.com and Marty McNeil with METRO light rail who will field questions on light rail. Has it met expectations with respect to ridership and revenue? What are future projections for expansion and improvement? These experts will get our wheels turning, come and join the discussion.

WHEN:
Tuesday, May 26th
5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Panel Discussion will start a little after 6 pm.

WHERE:
Switch Bakery
2603 N Central
Phoenix, AZ
Visit: switchofarizona.com

Happy hour specials will be available for our group.

RSVP to catrina@downtownphoenixjournal.com

Who
You are creative, entrepreneurial, care about how Phoenix develops, appreciate good design, have a social conscience, and enjoy converging with eclectic people.

What
RADIATE phoenix is a non-traditional networking group that meets once a month to support smart growth in our emerging city. It is intended to be an informal and fun forum for connecting people, ideas, and vision.

Why?
To activate spirited and stimulating dialogue around Phoenix’s emerging urban culture. To meet others who are making things happen…to connect the dots.

Why Not?
Stop complaining and join people who have vision, vitality, and a thirst for what is possible.

What it Isn’t
There are no presidents, treasurers, committees or dues. The only costs are the drinks and/or food you consume.

Increase your Radiation Index
Everyone who submits an RSVP will receive an invitation to join the RadiatePhx group on Ning.com.
It’s a user friendly site that allows us to interact with new and familiar faces. You’re invited to blog, post pics and events, or just say hi to fellow “Radiators.”
Note: keep an eye for Ning invitations in your spam filter! Already have a Ning ID? Log on at: http://www.radiatephoenix.com

exit2lef
May 27, 2009, 4:25 AM
They should just put the yellow tap-pads on the car itself. I don't have a pass but I know if I did, I would just jump on the train if my options were wait in line, tap, miss the train...or just get on and take my chances. As a rider who buys a pass whenever he is going to use it, I always make sure I have a ticket (because I want to support the system and because I don't want to get busted).

The issues with making a reader that just read the passes are numerous. For 1, you would need a much higher powered RFID reader to scan through people's pockets, purses, wallets etc. At that intensity, there would be little way to keep it from checking everyone in the car. Then you get an issue of being scanned multiple times (especially if you change cars or are forced to exit the train and wait for the next one because you are on an end-of-day run). The rider really needs to be responsible for tapping their card. Even if they put a sign at the stops that said "Did you forget to tap your card when you got on? Do it now!" it could make a difference.

Also, I don't understand why a business would pay per ride. The whole system seems flawed in that instance. Why don't normal users have that option? Why can't I buy a 30-ride pass and just tap it when I use it (ignoring the obvious fare cheating possibilities)? A rider who receives a card from his/her business is going to be more likely to not tap because they are so far removed from the cost of the pass.
If I were a large business, I would have ValleyMetro charge me the the normal pass rate or slightly discounted (since I'm buying so many). I would tell my employees that their cards are unique to them. They are to be used to reduce the number of commuters to the office. Employees who receive one and fail to use at least 50% of each month would be charged the cost of the card. Seems simple. Don't like it, go work somewhere else.

Interesting perspective. I was thinking RFID was the way to go, although you've pointed out some of the challenges. Couldn't we just get around those challenges, though, with a business rule that says any two scans within a defined time frame count as only one scan? That type of rule is already in effect for tapping. If I tap a few minutes after a prior tap, I get an error message saying "card recently used." I believe two hours has to pass before another tap will be accepted. Why couldn't RFID work the same way?

If nothing works, I think we're going to have to get away from the pay-per-ride pass system. HooverDam and I were at the Radiate Phoenix event earlier this evening and the METRO Light Rail representative there characterized the platinum passes as a "strange animal" without parallel elsewhere in the country. Ultimately, I think something like what you propose would be simpler.

glynnjamin
May 27, 2009, 5:10 AM
In all honesty, I would sign up for a platinum pass. Tie it to my bank account and let me ride as often as I like by tapping my card. I really hate buying a ticket and waiting for it to print that plus my receipt. Shit, my bank card has an RFID in it, just make it work. Chase, you are based out of here, make it work.

I'm all for having RFIDs throughout the train system. I had suggested at one point to have RFID scanners at every stop anyways that would track the train and replay its position to LED maps at the stations and would also activate the next stop light. Basically a really simple setup that would work better than the in-track system they have now. If every station already had RFID scanners for that purpose, they would be strong enough to pick up people at the station but not necessarily inside the car. In other words, people are charged for access to the station, not necessarily for the ride. That way a scan is done when they get on at one stop and when they get off at another (a ride)...if the system connects an "IN" and an "OUT" (within 90mins) then it charges the card holder. If only an IN is recorded or an IN and OUT are recorded at the same station, then it dumps the record. Wouldn't take much programming and would give METRO a TON more data on its riders.

Sonoran_Dweller
May 27, 2009, 5:23 AM
Interesting idea, if someone can prove it works efficiently, I'd go for it. I can already hear people shouting 'big brother'.

combusean
May 27, 2009, 8:08 AM
From the rumor mill, rather a facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/board.php?uid=69199793113) on downtown development:

On another note: at a meeting with Don Keuth, Debra Friedman (Vice President of the Downtown Phoenix Campus and Dean of the College of Public Programs) was told that now that college is out for the summer the Light Rail was down 5,000 passenger as week.

nickkoto
May 27, 2009, 8:47 AM
That wouldn't surprise me. ASU unexpectedly deactivated the U-passes for all students, and only those with summer classes can get new ones before August.

It kind of sucks for the students who work on campus during the summer. Their passes got revoked, they don't have access to the same discounted platinum passes that the staff/faculty can buy, and the parking permits aren't prorated at a particularly favorable rate if you buy one for the rest of the summer. It's a shitty deal all around.

HooverDam
May 27, 2009, 10:41 AM
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/139660

Money lacking for Williams Gateway Freeway

MIKE BRANOM, AMANDA KEIM, TRIBUNE

May 26, 2009 - 5:44PM

The proposed Williams Gateway Freeway, at the moment, is all map but no money.

On a satellite's-eye view of the south East Valley, colored lines - representing five routes of State Route 802 under study - extend eastward from a jag of red marking the Loop 202 Santan Freeway in east Mesa. Two alternatives slide to the south, closer to Queen Creek; the other three make a more direct approach into the empty desert of Pinal County.

After a few inches of map space - in reality, about 14 miles - the lines end at another streak of red: U.S. 60 at or near Florence Junction, southeast of Gold Canyon.

Williams Gateway Freeway denied stimulus funds

When built, this will be the freeway taking air travelers to the passenger terminal at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, taking workers feeding the expected commercial boom near the airport and former GM Proving Grounds, and taking commuters living in the massive (but now conceptual) Superstition Vistas development, to and from their homes.

"It's important for economic development and it's important for congestion relief," said Mark Young, Queen Creek's intergovernmental liaison.

But when will it be built? It doesn't appear that the money is there to bring the map to life.

Mesa officials are attempting yet again to round up the millions of dollars needed to design the freeway's first mile, to Ellsworth Road, and purchase the land needed for construction.

But regional transportation authorities, looking to cut costs during this economic slump, are considering the cancellation of construction funding for the next three miles.

Pinal officials, admitting that they can't fund their portion of the freeway, are actively hoping for a miracle.

And in the background of the money machinations, Queen Creek planners are having to account for the freeway, and its related traffic, although no one knows when the first car will exit an off-ramp and head toward town.

In a world with a humming economy, construction begins on SR 802 in the middle of the next decade. Funding for its construction comes from a half-cent sales tax, Proposition 400, passed by Maricopa County voters in 2004.

But with the commerce of the Valley and state in such poor shape, that money simply isn't there.

Even more, funding already pledged to SR 802's design and land acquisition was taken earlier this year by the Legislature in an effort to shore up Arizona's budget.

There was an attempt to have the federal stimulus package pay for the design and right-of-way land purchases, but the project was deemed not "shovel-ready."

So Mesa is trying a different approach.

"I don't know if this is Plan No. 10 or 11," quipped Scott Butler, the city's director of government relations.

Today, the Maricopa Association of Governments' Regional Council will vote on a proposal that will allow Mesa to use $8 million in highway money to finance city-issued bonds. The $45 million raised by those bonds then will go toward design and land purchases.

"We think it's a great way to do it," Butler said.

But immediately after the vote, the council is scheduled to hear an update on the woes of Proposition 400. MAG is forecasting a deficit of $6.6 billion, through 2025, for building freeways.

In a presentation put together by MAG's transportation director and senior engineer, delaying new freeway construction is presented as a way to save $2.5 billion. Potentially on the chopping block is the stretch from Ellsworth to Meridian Road.

MAG is expected to make its decisions in the coming weeks on where to cut costs.

While Maricopa County pinches pennies, Pinal County doesn't even have pennies to pinch.

"To continue (SR 802) to the east, we really don't have anything budgeted for it," Pinal County Supervisor Bryan Martyn said. "We don't have money to put towards it; no one has money to put towards it."

Still, Martyn is trying to keep a positive face.

"Once people realize its importance in continued growth in the East Valley, the money will materialize," Martyn said.

But Martyn acknowledged the reality that there aren't many likely sources of financial support. Federal funding could be tough to come by, especially since the freeway would travel through Rep. Jeff Flake's district - and Flake is not known for pursuing money for projects back home, Martyn said.

"Eventually, our highway user revenue funds will pick up again and ADOT will have the ability to pick up and fund these projects," Martyn said.

Martyn expressed hope, with Pinal still growing even in a down economy, that those funds come before the inevitable post-recession boom. Otherwise, the county will have to play catch-up with its infrastructure.

One possible solution for SR 802, among other roads, is being discussed at the Legislature: toll roads.

"They're definitely being considered," said Todd Madeksza, director of legislative affairs for the County Supervisors Association. "We need to come up with something that's a viable funding mechanism for our road structure."

Three bills related to public-private partnerships have been introduced, Madeksza said. There are several models of such partnerships around the country, but just about all of them center around toll roads.

Madeksza noted that gas tax collections will continue to dwindle as drivers switch to more fuel-efficient vehicles. And the Highway User Revenue Fund has been raided in tough budget years.

"We've got to think outside the box; it's as simple as that," Madeksza said. "We're quickly getting to the point where we can only maintain these roads. We won't be able to build new roads."

Of course, toll roads are just as theoretical as the Williams Gateway Freeway at this point. Any movement on legislation this year assumes lawmakers will start considering bills not related to the budget, which have consumed the session.

It also assumes Pinal County wants to use toll roads to fund SR 802. Martyn said the county is more interested in that possibility for roads further in the future.

Meanwhile, Queen Creek has plans to create a direct connection between Signal Butte and Meridian roads to take advantage of the freeway, even though it won't enter the town's borders.

Signal Butte is expected to be the bigger interchange of the two in Mesa, but that road effectively stops at Rittenhouse. Meridian is expected to attract development farther south, hence the proposed connection.

But that project, too, is contingent on development coming to the area.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/images/photos/2009/05/26/nrlylgmw.gif

glynnjamin
May 27, 2009, 3:16 PM
In a world with a humming economy, construction begins on SR 802 in the middle of the next decade. Funding for its construction comes from a half-cent sales tax, Proposition 400, passed by Maricopa County voters in 2004.

What? Isn't that all in Pinal Cnty? Why do we want to encourage growth out there? Why would Maricopa residents pay to encourage people to move out of Maricopa Cnty and into Pinal Cnty? This is like Glendale paying for a new off-ramp that goes into Chase Field/USAir Arena. I, for one, am highly opposed to this freeway. The 202 already goes to Gateway and to the GM Proving Grounds - we don't need it to connect to Florence Junction.

Leo the Dog
May 27, 2009, 4:00 PM
While Maricopa County pinches pennies, Pinal County doesn't even have pennies to pinch.

"To continue (SR 802) to the east, we really don't have anything budgeted for it," Pinal County Supervisor Bryan Martyn said. "We don't have money to put towards it; no one has money to put towards it."

Prop. 400 funds only the portion of freeway within Maricopa County. The remainder is unfunded. Pinal County, which I believe to be very irresponsible, must come up with their own funding, or rely on ADOT (AZ) to build the rest.

I am also against this freeway. I am also against Loop 303. These are basically taxpayer gifts to private developers that benefit only a few, but they are the cause of numerous problems for the rest of us, such as, urban sprawl, environmental degradation, air quality issues, traffic problems on inner-freeways etc..

Just think when the 802 is complete and all of the cookie-cutter homes follow, now all of those people need to go to their jobs in Chandler, Mesa, Tempe, Phoenix so they flood onto the 202 Santan. The Santan will become an inadequate road that must be expanded to handle the new traffic from the new neighborhoods of Florence Junction. The heavy traffic on the 202 empties out onto the I-10 and the 60, which will become overburdened yet again by ex-urban growth.

The construction of this freeway will create another Anthem/Maricopa situation. Taxpayers will then have to fund the next round of freeway improvements. It is a ridiculous cycle that will unfortunately continue.

glynnjamin
May 27, 2009, 4:22 PM
While I'm not a huge fan of the 303, I do appreciate that it will, one day, get a certain number of trucks and pass-through traffic out of the city by allowing them to go from the far west valley to the far north valley without much issue.

Classical in Phoenix
May 29, 2009, 5:29 PM
A one car trained just passed my office at Central and Osborn, and I haven't seen any three car trains yet today, which is unusual on Dback gamedays.

pbenjamin
May 29, 2009, 5:46 PM
I rode a three car train home from the game last night. According to the walktytalky man at the stop, it was a "spare" train that had been waiting on the siding down Jefferson and had been dispatched at the end of the game. It was a curious train in that it sat for about 5 minutes at the station, was labeled "out of service" and had no announcements, audio or video, of any of the stops.

Leo the Dog
May 29, 2009, 7:49 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/2009/05/29/20090529cr-rural0529.html

Light rail route is off the table for Rural Road
14 comments by Edythe Jensen - May. 29, 2009 09:51 AM
The Arizona Republic
Regional transit planners have taken light rail off the table for Rural Road through Tempe to Chandler bus routes, favoring less costly alternatives that include bus rapid transit and a 2.5-mile streetcar line on Mill Avenue.

The news came from Wulf Grote, director of project development for Valley Metro Rail, who told members of the Chandler Transportation Commission that a decision on what form of mass transit will serve the area is expected this fall after more than two years of study and public meetings. When residents will see the results is uncertain because the state is grappling with shortfalls in transportation sales-tax revenues.

If the cities and regional groups approve one of the recommendations, it will likely bring more transit options sooner to west Chandler. That's because a light-rail line would not have extended south of the Superstition Freeway,ending about 4 miles north of the Chandler boundary, Grote said. The less expensive bus and streetcar plans would link to extend service more than 8 miles from downtown Tempe to Chandler Fashion Center and possibly to a side route with a park and ride lot to Kyrene Road and the Santan Freeway.

When the Mill Avenue streetcar idea was brought to public meetings in Tempe last year, it was billed as something that could serve Arizona State University students and spark downtown redevelopment like a similar system did in Portland. Grote said the system would be confined to Mill Avenue in Tempe but could tie into light rail and link to bus routes. "It has a significant amount of public and political support." he said.

An alternative that excludes the streetcar would extend bus rapid transit from a light-rail stop in Tempe to Chandler Fashion Center at Price Road and Chandler Boulevard, with service as frequent as every 10 minutes.

Grote said either of the preferred alternatives is expected to cost about $90 million and funding may not be available for several years. Because of the transportation tax shortfall, planned projects are being delayed, he said.

Oh great, looks like BRT is winning out over LRT. :(

HooverDam
May 29, 2009, 7:56 PM
^Well that article is half bad news, half good news. A streetcar line on Mill would be pretty cool, and if successful perhaps open the Valleys eyes to a more widespread use of it in other areas.

exit2lef
May 29, 2009, 10:16 PM
Mixed feelings about the apparent Tempe decision. I never think BRT is desriable for anything more than an interim solution until light rail is built. At the same time, I always thought a little spur into southern Tempe was silly. For light rail to make sense along Rural, it would have to extend all the way from Scottsdale to Chandler, and I don't see that happening for a very long time.

combusean
May 29, 2009, 10:34 PM
Mill is already a clusterfuck of cars and transit--waiting behind a bus on a 1-lane road is lame. A streetcar tossed into the mix would just make it that much worse.

Totally lame that LRT is off the table. A line on Scottsdale Rd is just too obvious to do I guess.

Vicelord John
May 29, 2009, 10:43 PM
FWIW. I wouldn't ride a BRT, whereas I have no problem riding LRT. Uppity as it may sound, busses are below me, and I'm a person who is well versed in public transportation. The averge joe public will probably feel even stronger. Happy failure Valley Metro.

combusean
May 29, 2009, 11:06 PM
BRT blows. I rode the Silver Line in Boston and it was the most anticlimactic rickety hunk of junk known to man. The only situation I can think of where it could be used efficiently is extremely limited stop core connectors, eg, from one transit center to another.

Does anyone else get irritated when they see the LRT waiting at a red light?

Tfom
May 30, 2009, 3:16 AM
so I definitely saw a 1 car train today, going north near palm around 245. It left me feeling... unsatisfied.

mwadswor
May 30, 2009, 3:44 AM
I actually think valleymetro made the right call on this one. A little extension into South Tempe never really made any sense to me. It's a lot of money to go nowhere that probably only would have resulted in cutting service to Mesa (unless they were really going to either only run it for 2.5 miles or pretty much double service into downtown Phoenix). The BRT idea absolutely blows, it would be much less of a waste of money if they just upgraded service along the 72 and/or 81 routes.

However, if the Mill streetcar gets build it will be cool as hell. I definitely think it will improve accessibility to ASU, it will help Mill out, it will connect to St Lukes, Tempe High School, grocery stores, and the Tempe library and history museum (not to mention run right by my house :) ). Even better is the idea of running the street car all the way down to Chandler Fashion Center. I didn't even know that that was on the table, but it would definitely be a much better use of money than BRT. Does anyone know what the route for that would be? Mill - Southern - Rural - Chandler Blvd? If the route was just straight down Rural I don't think I'd support it as it would bypass a lot of the sites that the Mill - Southern route would hit.

exit2lef
May 30, 2009, 4:37 AM
so I definitely saw a 1 car train today, going north near palm around 245. It left me feeling... unsatisfied.

I rode on a one-car train coming home from work today and saw another headed in the opposite direction. My one-car train was a sardine can full of commuters and D-backs fans. What was going on? Maybe METRO was moving single cars into position to join up with two-car trains already in operation? It was weird.

exit2lef
May 30, 2009, 4:40 AM
I actually think valleymetro made the right call on this one. A little extension into South Tempe never really made any sense to me. It's a lot of money to go nowhere that probably only would have resulted in cutting service to Mesa (unless they were really going to either only run it for 2.5 miles or pretty much double service into downtown Phoenix). The BRT idea absolutely blows, it would be much less of a waste of money if they just upgraded service along the 72 and/or 81 routes.

However, if the Mill streetcar gets build it will be cool as hell. I definitely think it will improve accessibility to ASU, it will help Mill out, it will connect to St Lukes, Tempe High School, grocery stores, and the Tempe library and history museum (not to mention run right by my house :) ). Even better is the idea of running the street car all the way down to Chandler Fashion Center. I didn't even know that that was on the table, but it would definitely be a much better use of money than BRT. Does anyone know what the route for that would be? Mill - Southern - Rural - Chandler Blvd? If the route was just straight down Rural I don't think I'd support it as it would bypass a lot of the sites that the Mill - Southern route would hit.

I think 2.5 miles of light rail never made sense. A longer route from Scottsdale to Chandler would be great, but Scottsdale politics make that out of the question for now. I've heard one suggestion that the Mill Avenue modern streetcar, if built, might also turn east on Rio Solado Parkway. That would make sense since it would extend transit access to the high-density development going up on the south side of Tempe Town Lake.

KEVINphx
May 30, 2009, 5:42 PM
Does anyone else get irritated when they see the LRT waiting at a red light?

No, I think it is very irritating. Especially if you are ON the train stopped at a red light.

HooverDam
May 30, 2009, 6:12 PM
No, I think it is very irritating. Especially if you are ON the train stopped at a red light.

What I find more annoying is if you're at a stop, and everyone has gotten on/off board, but for some reason, you sit at the station and extra 3 minutes with the doors open letting all the heat in. This is especially annoying when I have to pee, which is usually when it happens.

Also, I was on a train the other day and the back section was roped off w/ caution tape, apparently someone had yaked on a seat. They had a janitor come in and he cleaned it using that weird bird seed stuff like they use in the Elementary schools. Needless to say the entire train smelt delightful.

mwadswor
May 31, 2009, 5:40 AM
Alright, as I was thinking about it, I thought of an issue with the modern streetcar down Mill AVE. What about the events like the Tempe Arts Festival where the city shuts down the entire street for the event? It's a little simpler to reroute all the busses and traffic up Ash than it is to reroute a streetcar on rails. Considering the mess that traffic already is on Mill and the economic difficulty that those shops are already facing, would it be better to run the street car down Ash to University to Mill? Ash is within easy walking distance of Mill and I doubt they were planning on putting any stations between 3rd and University anyway. The streetcar could share tracks with the light rail from Ash into the 3rd/Mill station that I assume was the planned terminus anyway.

The only potential roadblocks that I see are that it will make a future connection to a Rio Salado streetcar a bit more awkward, and while the equipment should be able to share tracks with the light rail I don't know what regulations there are restricting the lighter streetcars' ability to share tracks with the heavier light rail cars, like there are restricting the ability of light and heavy rail cars to share tracks.

combusean
May 31, 2009, 6:54 AM

I didn't realize the connection of Chandler Fashion Center to the streetcar system, and if that is truly possible with how it's planned out, then my opposition to the obvious connection on Rural/Scottsdale Rd isn't precluded. It just might have to wait.

http://emvis.net/~sean/ssp/another_look_at_papago_park.png

I made this some time ago. It puts the latest proposal into context: Fashion Square to Chandler Fashion Center via Papago Park, all while leaving the option open for a "trunk" connection on Scottsdale Rd open?

You saw it here first. :D

combusean
May 31, 2009, 7:02 AM
Alright, as I was thinking about it, I thought of an issue with the modern streetcar down Mill AVE. What about the events like the Tempe Arts Festival where the city shuts down the entire street for the event? It's a little simpler to reroute all the busses and traffic up Ash than it is to reroute a streetcar on rails. Considering the mess that traffic already is on Mill and the economic difficulty that those shops are already facing, would it be better to run the street car down Ash to University to Mill? Ash is within easy walking distance of Mill and I doubt they were planning on putting any stations between 3rd and University anyway. The streetcar could share tracks with the light rail from Ash into the 3rd/Mill station that I assume was the planned terminus anyway.

The only potential roadblocks that I see are that it will make a future connection to a Rio Salado streetcar a bit more awkward, and while the equipment should be able to share tracks with the light rail I don't know what regulations there are restricting the lighter streetcars' ability to share tracks with the heavier light rail cars, like there are restricting the ability of light and heavy rail cars to share tracks.

All good points. Ash is a superior connection than Mill. Modern streetcars are narrow gauge like the LRT so streetcars sharing ROW isn't unfeasible.

HooverDam
May 31, 2009, 8:48 AM
Combusean, I haven't put much thought into this, and I've been up for about 26 straight hours and just got done driving 5 hours...so perhaps Im delusional but...

wouldn't it be better to have a streetcar line going through Papago Park turn East on Thomas to connect w/ Skysong. Or in your fantasy world is there a LRT line running N/S on Scottsdale/Rural, making that unneeded?

I would like to eventually see a streetcar line (call it the "Salado Streetcar" or something) that connects Papago Park with Tempe, the South of the lake area (and thus Packard & Sun Devil Stadiums) and then maybe East all the way to Tempe Marketplace. Theres already a pretty strong little transit hub inside Tempe Marketplace, you could have the line end there.

combusean
May 31, 2009, 9:14 AM
The streetcar should serve as a complement to an LRT line on Scottsdale and Rural.

A line on Rio Salado would finally connect the abomination of Tempe Marketplace to downtown. Maybe it could go further west on University to that Southbank abomination to connect back with a future line on Baseline via 32nd St?

PHX31
May 31, 2009, 9:49 AM
Combusean, try to get on the transit committee... I'm not sure how you do it, but my worthless boss is gone and must have rescinded his duties.

Sonoran_Dweller
May 31, 2009, 5:47 PM
I think putting streetcar on Mill north of University would KILL the Mill Avenue ambiance. Having gone to several of the meetings, I know that they would also take away the on street parking and make Mill two lanes (also killing the ambiance).

I think a Mill to University to Ash would be a GREAT idea. It might help in the long run when Tempe really starts to develop the Farmer Avenue area, which I believe the city has plans to do.

combusean
Jun 1, 2009, 8:02 AM
Turner Parkway plans concern residents (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/05/31/20090531turnerpkwy0529.html)
Pollution, traffic fears raised

22 comments
by Jackee Coe - May. 31, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Plans for a 32-mile parkway connecting north Buckeye to Surprise is one of Stan Goldman's biggest concerns.

The 63-year-old Sun City Festival resident says no one is objecting to a north-south roadway, but he and many others fear the proposed Turner Parkway will ruin their quality of life if it passes through the middle of their retirement community.

"We're concerned about air pollution, noise pollution, crime and everything else that comes along with a (major roadway)," Goldman said.

The Maricopa County Department of Transportation is planning the six- to eight-lane parkway as the northerly extension of Arizona 85 from Interstate 10 north to Arizona 74.

The proposal came out of a 2008 Maricopa Association of Government study that forecasts 1.2 million new residents west of the White Tank Mountains by 2030 and beyond. Turner Parkway would alleviate congestion as the area grows. The project is a partnership of the county Department of Transportation, Buckeye and Surprise.

"This is a planning document, not a construction document," Transportation Department Project Manager Denise Lacey stressed.

Yet most who attended a recent Transportation Department presentation at Sun City Festival in north Buckeye see red flags.

They worry about the impact it would have on the environment and their lifestyle. Residents are particularly upset over one proposed route that would cut through Sun City Festival, located north of Sun Valley Parkway, west of Canyon Springs Boulevard.

"This is an adult community, it's a quiet community and we don't want it. We just don't want it," Goldman said.

Parkway vs. roadway

Lacey said a parkway would be much safer than a highway, freeway or arterial road.

A parkway is like a major arterial road but has traffic-signal intersections every mile, a 60-foot median and indirect left turns, in which drivers go about 660 feet past the intersection, make a U-turn and then turn right onto the street.

"There are all kinds of studies that show that this parkway is safer than what is currently approved within this development," Lacey said. "Currently approved in this development is a major arterial roadway with three lanes in each direction and basically unlimited left-turn movement. Arizona parkways become safer because you are limiting (left turns) and providing an oasis for pedestrians in the middle of the parkway."

Running Turner Parkway through Sun City Festival is one option, Lacey said. Others would detour it around the community.

"What we have showed to the public is, here's our baseline, as identified in the Hassayampa plan," she said of MAG's Interstate 10/Hassayampa Valley Roadway Framework Study. "Here are some potential alternatives and we are analyzing the alternatives to see if those are feasible, if they're a better alternative, if they're not a better alternative, will they work, won't they work.

"It's a whole analysis that we have to do and we're in the midst of that," she said.

Of the timeline for the parkway, Lacey said, "We don't build roads just to build roads. We build it based upon a need, and so once the traffic comes in place, then we will start looking at building roads. It could be two years or it could be 20 years. We just don't know."

Area residents suggested extending the existing Sun Valley Parkway, instead of building another road. But Lacey said that wouldn't be enough to support all future traffic.

"Could it potentially be extended? Maybe. Could it be widened? Definitely," she said. "Will it still carry the numbers that we're going to need to carry in the future? No. So we will need more than just Sun Valley Parkway in the future."

Other stakeholders

Pulte Homes, which owns Sun City Festival, has "vigorously objected" to the proposed path through its community.

"There's definitely opportunities that MCDOT could pursue that make a lot more sense . . . than through a residential development," Pulte spokeswoman Jacque Petroulakis said. "It's a proposed parkway that's many, many, many years in the making, so there's no reason why not to pick the best regional solution for its placement."

Buckeye will have a significant say in the plans, as the parkway would run through most of the southwest Valley town.

"Where it will go right now is just strictly up in the air," Mayor Jackie Meck said. "We'll listen to the people, we'll listen to the developers also, along with Surprise (and) we'll make a decision."

Buckeye residents outside of Sun City Festival also are seeking answers.

Ben Myscofsky, 68, lives in Sweetwater Estates, near McDowell Road and Sun Valley Parkway. One of his issues is Turner Parkway's impact on the water draining off the White Tank Mountains.

"Once they start redirecting water in the washes, that water's got to go somewhere," he said. "Certainly, the waters that come off of the White Tank Mountains in this alluvial fan are necessary to keep things growing here. If that water is channeled (elsewhere), are they in fact creating a desert more severe than what already exists?"

Lacey said part of the Transportation Department's feasibility study is looking at drainage and wildlife issues, and officials will develop solutions as they move forward. The transportation agency plans another open house in mid-July at Sun City Festival to continue discussions.

http://www.mag.maricopa.gov/detail.cms?item=7891

links to the planning document. Never thought I'd see a 459th Ave interchange planned in my lifetime.

glynnjamin
Jun 1, 2009, 4:07 PM
Ok, I've got some friends who live at 303 and Bell and the last time we went to LA, I picked them up and we took Bell out to Sun City Festival and then it curves south turning into Sun Valley Pkway and drops you off outside the city. Pretty convenient if I do say so myself.

That being said, there was literally NO ONE on it except us. It is 2-lane each way with a giant median between. Why don't they just widen that if they really want something to do? Or connect the 85 to that thing? Seems silly to run a whole new road up there.

Also, am I the only one who hates parkways with their damn U-turns. I can't stand making U-turns. That's one of the reasons why I hate the medians throughout Glendale so much.

Leo the Dog
Jun 1, 2009, 4:44 PM
Glynn, I totally agree with you about the whole "parkway" design. It is a terrible design and visually unappealing that does nothing but promote urban sprawl. To simply cross the street, one must make a right, continue until there is stoplight and/or dedicated U-Turn ramp to finally turn around to head back in the general direction from where you started.

It is a roadway design from the 1950's. It reminds me of US 1 (among many) in the inner-burbs of Boston. Nothing but a headache once surburban build-out occurs.

plinko
Jun 1, 2009, 5:29 PM
I think my favorite part is 'pedestrian oasis'. What the hell is wrong with roadway engineers?

Sun Valley Parkway used to be a great place to go out and see how fast your car can go.

Vicelord John
Jun 1, 2009, 6:11 PM
personal sun valley record is enough to get locked up.

HooverDam
Jun 2, 2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/news/traffic/lightrail/articles/2009/06/02/20090602subsidy0602.html

Subsidies attracting riders to mass transit
3 comments by Sean Holstege - Jun. 2, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
When Jim Wilson took a job at Arizona Public Service Co. a year ago, he figured he'd pay $75 a week in gas and $40 a month on parking to commute from Surprise to downtown Phoenix.

So, when APS offered him a transit pass for free, he was thrilled. He swipes his Platinum Pass card on the 571 Express bus almost every day for the 45-minute trip. His employer pays the full express fare of up to $68 a month.

"Even if they made me pay for the whole bus pass, that's still well, well worth it," the 35-year-old said.

Wilson's free transit pass represents a little-publicized fact about the Valley's bus and rail system: A majority of passengers are paying less than full fare out of their own pockets - and often nothing at all. They rely instead on a subsidy from their private or government employers or on a public program such as discounts for the elderly and indigent.

About 1,100 employers participate in Maricopa County's trip-reduction program, the region's two-decade-old effort to get commuters to use transit or carpool and not drive to work alone.

In April, about 57 percent of all bus and rail passengers paid discounted fares. On Express and Rapid buses, which appeal to suburban commuters, 80 percent of riders used discounted passes, most from their employers.

People who are older than 65, younger than 18 or disabled pay half-fare.

Such discounts have helped the Valley's transit systems post record passenger counts in recent times.

But now, with fares set to jump July 1 in a struggling economy, some employers may cut back on their subsidies, lowering the incentive for employees to ride.

Arizona State University, for example, whose students make up a quarter of the riders on the light-rail system, says it can no longer afford to give students free transit passes. With the base fare of bus and rail soon to increase by 40 percent, to $1.75 from $1.25 a ride, students will likely have to pick up more of the cost, ASU said.

"We will continue to provide some sort of program that will be heavily subsidized," said Theresa Fletcher, ASU's director of parking and transit services. "However, it's not sustainable to assume we can continue the program at absolutely no cost to students."

When ASU reduced its contribution for faculty and staff transit passes last year, two-thirds of them stopped riding transit.

So far, few employers have indicated that they will slice the share of transit costs they subsidize because of coming fare increases, officials said.

Balancing fares, profit
Fiscal conservatives have long criticized public transit for not being self-sufficient. The federal government considers a transit system to be cost-efficient if it recovers a quarter of its operating expenses from fares.

Metro's rail system, for example, plans to recover 25 percent of its $34 million operating budget next year from increased fares.

To reach the 25 percent goal and to help a region meet federal clean-air standards, transit agencies have tried to broaden their market. Historically, transit was seen as a social service for people too poor or infirm to drive a car. In recent years, agencies have tried to lure people who have a choice of driving. In the Valley, that effort comes in the form of Express and Rapid buses and light rail.

But transit planners face a conflict: Fares need to be low enough to retain core riders and attract new ones yet high enough to cover 25 percent of costs.

That's where employers fit in. They have to be coaxed into offering a fare subsidy to employees. The inducement is a federal-tax deduction for the subsidies they pay.

Transit agencies not only get more riders, but the region gets help in avoiding penalties for failing to meet federal clear-air standards.

Maricopa County's trip-reduction program was created to ease congestion and clean the air. The county has failed to meet federal clean-air standards because of elevated dust levels. If the region cannot reduce particle readings, it could lose billions of dollars in federal highway funds.

Record ridership
Whether out of economic self-interest or concern for the planet, Phoenix-area commuters have flocked to buses and trains in record numbers. April saw the largest average weekday transit ridership on record.

Nationally, more people rode mass transit in the last three months of 2008 than any time since the early 1950s.

Transit advocates point out that the increase came after $4-a-gallon gas prices abated.

"A lot of people never used transit before gas hit whatever threshold they had," Phoenix Deputy City Manager Ed Zuercher said. "They discovered the value of transit wasn't just dollars and cents but also in the quality of their time."

But with fares going up July 1, so does the risk that passengers and employers will abandon buses and trains. So far, that fear hasn't materialized.

The Maricopa County Air Quality Department manages the region's trip-reduction program and said "very few" employers are rethinking their support because of the fare increase, spokeswoman Holly Ward said.

"So far, there hasn't been any impact or buzz about the fare increase," Ward said. "It usually involves some sort of pocketbook incentive to get people to give up the convenience of driving their cars. We would appreciate anything to push people to use transit, because it cleans the air."

Zuercher said Phoenix has no plans to trim its 100 percent contribution to transit passes.

City employees are among the most transit-loyal in a sample of larger employers, The Arizona Republic found in an analysis of ridership data, billing records for Platinum Passes and county trip-reduction plan rosters.

About 27 percent of the city's nearly 12,000 employees used a Platinum Pass in April.

But although many large firms pay the full cost of transit passes, transit usage generally remains low. At Salt River Project, only 8 percent of employees used the pass in April, for instance.

Overall, only 7 percent of workers enrolled in the trip-reduction plan take transit.

Ward points out that employers offer other alternatives to solo rush-hour driving, such as flex time, telecommuting or carpooling.

Transit agencies are now waiting to see how the economy unfolds and how big a hit the fare increase will take. Analysts predict a less than 1 percent drop in ridership after fares climb July 1.

It remains to be seen if the popularity of light rail, expected increases in gas prices and concern for the environment will offset any ridership slide. Officials at the trip-reduction program say they will know in a year if the region will sustain its momentum for luring more commuters to transit.

JAHOPL
Jun 2, 2009, 8:12 PM
Light Rail Energizes Uptown Area
by Scott Wong, Arizona Republic, June 2, 2009

Uptown Phoenix, once home to dilapidated strip malls and run-down lots, is enjoying a revival of sorts.

With light rail cutting straight through the central Phoenix district, more than a dozen new businesses have sprouted in the neighborhood near Camelback Road and Central Avenue from coffee shops and restaurants to an organic pet store. "As we hear about all the businesses closing in the malls and other parts of the city, this is proof we are really sizzling in this part of Phoenix," City Councilman Tom Simplot said during a recent ceremony celebrating the spate of mom-and-pop businesses that have recently opened shop. "The investment (of light rail) is paying off."

At the heart of the renaissance is the unassuming Xavier Square retail center at 4700 N. Central Ave., home of the future Hula's.

There, Daniel Wayne, creator of Lux Coffee and Lola Tapas, recently opened a trendy new java joint called Lola Coffee. Last year, three business partners moved their furniture store, Haus Modern Living to 4700 N. Central Ave. And seven months ago, Christopher Pulvermacher, 28, relocated his eco-friendly pet store, Oliver and Annie, from a site farther west.

All of the products Pulvermacher carries are organic, environmentally friendly or locally made, from handmade linen beds and collars to Pal Dog organic shampoo.

"People downtown are more savvy about health and about what is important," he said, noting that his concept didn't catch on at his previous location at 30th Avenue and Camelback. "Most of our customers come here because of what we carry."

Hula's, which Mule envisions as more upscale and urban than its two sister locations on the Northern California coast, will join a small cluster of trendy restaurants along Central.

The popular Arcadia wine café, Postino, just rolled out its second location in the former home of Katz's Deli, north of Camelback Road. And just down the street, Maizie's Café and Bistro, has been winning over diners with its basil-pesto bruschetta, wingless buffalo dip and half-pound burgers.

Buckeye Native 001
Jun 2, 2009, 8:33 PM
Well here's something you don't see everyday...

http://www.azcentral.com/news/traffic/lightrail/articles/2009/06/02/20090602abrk-lightrail.html
Man accused of spreading feces on light rail train

by Maria Polletta - Jun. 2, 2009 09:40 AM
The Arizona Republic

A light rail train was stopped Tuesday morning and passengers were asked to exit after a homeless man boarded a car with a box of feces that he apparently spread on the floor.

The incident occurred just after 8 a.m., according to Metro light rail spokeswoman Hillary Foose.

Dustin Schmidt, of Tempe, was in the car in front of the one the man dirtied. Schmidt didn't see the man but said people began rushing to the front of his train car.

He said the train's operator alerted passengers to the man's behavior and gave them a choice to stop immediately or to continue to the next station.

The passengers chose to stop at the next station, 38th Street/Washington, where the car was cleaned up, according to Foose.

Foose said police were called in to "handle" the man after the operator asked him to leave.

It is unclear whether the man was cited for the incident.

:yuck:

HooverDam
Jun 2, 2009, 11:51 PM
I like that he had it in a box. Its not like he was just on the train and had to go and went, this was premeditated, amazing.

Now Im going to be wary of anyone entering the train with a box in their hands.

exit2lef
Jun 2, 2009, 11:57 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/lightrailblog/54594

Some news about the one-car trains I've been seeing the past few days. Personally, I think it's a bad idea. First, I'm not convinced there are significant cost savings. I would guess the biggest expense is operator salary, and that doesn't change if the train is 1,2, or 3 cars long. Second, it's a bad PR move. A single car train looks more buslike and feeds into the knuckledragger argument that a "bus can do everything a train can do." Plus, rail opponents will jump all over small trains with I-told-you-so claims of low ridership. Neither argument is correct, but I wouldn't be surprised to see both resurface.

nickkoto
Jun 3, 2009, 1:12 AM
I just took a 1 car train home at about 5pm today and it was jam-packed, like the most crowded I've seen inside one of those cars since the opening week. There were enough people standing inside the one to still have filled all of the seats if there was a second car.

Vicelord John
Jun 3, 2009, 1:20 AM
one car trains hun... thats pretty gay. I mean its not even a train by definition anymore.

Leo the Dog
Jun 3, 2009, 2:08 PM
I am in favor of one car trains during off-peak travel times. We are getting late night service on Friday and Saturday. They had to cut some costs, makes sense to me. Boston's Green Line does this daily. 2 car trains are only during rush hours and they never use 3 car trains ever. The stations aren't long enough. If demand is low, why use 2 cars? I know it looks better, but who cares? Just keep the trains running.

exit2lef
Jun 3, 2009, 4:53 PM
I am in favor of one car trains during off-peak travel times. We are getting late night service on Friday and Saturday. They had to cut some costs, makes sense to me. Boston's Green Line does this daily. 2 car trains are only during rush hours and they never use 3 car trains ever. The stations aren't long enough. If demand is low, why use 2 cars? I know it looks better, but who cares? Just keep the trains running.

If they're truly kept to off-peak times, I can accept one-car trains. That's not what's happening, though. I boarded a one-car train at 8:45 this morning -- hardly off-peak.

HX_Guy
Jun 3, 2009, 5:02 PM
Saw one yesterday as well around 1pm. They look strange being so short.

Vicelord John
Jun 3, 2009, 5:05 PM
They look strange being so short.

man, if I had a dollar for everytime a girl has said that to me.

TAZ4ate0
Jun 3, 2009, 5:18 PM
I saw several one car trains in the off-peak hours (mid-day) yesterday. There seemed to be a one car train every third train. What I think may be the reason for running a one car train every so often, is that ASU is on summer break, so there is a reduced demand for now. Especially in the middle of the day. However, the park n ride lot at Dorsey and Apache was/has been still pretty full.

nickkoto
Jun 4, 2009, 1:14 AM
If they're truly kept to off-peak times, I can accept one-car trains. That's not what's happening, though. I boarded a one-car train at 8:45 this morning -- hardly off-peak.

I just boarded a single car train at 5:00pm for the second day in a row. Nothing beats being crammed in like sardines when everyone has had a few minutes to fester in the 105 degree heat before boarding. I will remedy this problem myself and just start driving again if they don't address it pretty soon. ASU is going to start charging students some undisclosed amount for the U-Passes anyway, so I'll already be losing some incentive to use it, but the poor service is far more discouraging.

There was also some German lady on board near me, very upset about the crowd and it being a single-car train at a peak hour, taking it out on some Valley Metro employee (a bus dude) who just happened to be seated next to her. Poor guy.

HX_Guy
Jun 4, 2009, 5:50 AM
I'm not liking this idea of selling naming rights to stations or the whole system. Ads at the stations or even on the trains I wouldn't be opposed to, but like the article said, it could really sound strange. Imagine the Univerity of Phoenix Light Rail or Bashas Transit System. I'd like to see the different stations develop more closely knit neighborhoods around them and have people know them by such...like Uptown, not Wells Fargo or Compass Bank station.

Metro considering naming rights for light rail
Comments 2 | Recommend 1

Mike Branom, Tribune

June 3, 2009 - 6:17PM

Digg| Save| License| Print| E-mail| Decrease text size Reset text size Increase text size

The Valley's light-rail line runs past Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, and downtown Phoenix's Chase Field and US Airways Center - venues where extra revenue was found by selling off the names.

Now Metro, too, is interested in allowing companies to name stations or the entire system in return for money.

During Wednesday's meeting of Metro's Rail Management Committee, a proposal to investigate the selling of naming rights was met with enthusiasm.

Perhaps the panelists were desperate to hear of good financial news, considering minutes before they heard how a budget crunch would lead to an expansion slowdown and service reductions.

"It's important that we look at every opportunity we can for revenue," said Patricia Kraus, Chandler's coordinator for intergovernmental affairs. "This could be very valuable, and this could help extend the system further and faster."

The matter will go before Metro's board of directors later this month.

If the day comes when naming rights are sold, it will mark a complete reversal of the board's no-advertising policy, adopted in the early part of the decade. But in April, the board voted to allow the sale of space at stations as well as on and in trains.

According to a presentation by Metro executives, the selling of naming rights usually is associated with sporting venues. But transit systems around the country have done the same, or are looking to do so:

The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority sold off the name of a bus rapid transit system to two hospitals along the route. The Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals will pay $6.25 million over 25 years to name the nine-mile Euclid Corridor route the HealthLine.

The deal could jump to $18 million if the transit agency sells sponsorships for 10 stations along the route over the life of the agreement.

The city of Norfolk, Va. and Hampton Roads Transit could reap nearly $29 million, over 20 to 30 years, by selling naming rights to light-rail stations, park-and-ride lots, or even the entire rail system, a recent study showed.

Miami-Dade Transit learned last year a popular station on its Metromover loop could garner $48,000 annually.

Although members of the commission were unanimous in welcoming a new revenue stream, there were pleas for caution.

Mike James, deputy transportation director in Mesa, pointed out how the sale of naming rights for University of Phoenix Stadium put the venue's host municipality, Glendale, in a position where it gains no name recognition.

"A city could get snubbed," James said.

Phoenix City Manager Frank Fairbanks, the committee's chairman, also warned of having a business buy ad space on a train or station, only to have a competitor purchase the rights to name the station or even the whole system.

"But," Fairbanks concluded, "it would be almost foolish not to do this."

If the board approves the idea of selling naming rights, Metro then will conduct a formal inquiry on how best to do so. Executives said developing that information could range in cost from $50,000 to $100,000.

nickkoto
Jun 4, 2009, 6:24 AM
If they're that desperate for money, I think they should run a 21+ only car in the evening hours with a small bar in the middle (instead of those worthless bike racks), where they can sell booze to the passengers.

Why not? I believe some of the commuter trains in NYC have been doing something like that for a long time and it persists because there's little evidence to suggest that it presents a threat to public safety.

Hmmm. Here's a link (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/31/nyregion/31liquor.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss)

Leo the Dog
Jun 4, 2009, 11:58 AM
I'm not liking this idea of selling naming rights to stations or the whole system. Ads at the stations or even on the trains I wouldn't be opposed to, but like the article said, it could really sound strange. Imagine the Univerity of Phoenix Light Rail or Bashas Transit System. I'd like to see the different stations develop more closely knit neighborhoods around them and have people know them by such...like Uptown, not Wells Fargo or Compass Bank station.

If they do name stations, I would hope that it would be named appropriately for the local area. Ex. 3rd/Jeff - US Airways Center Station with company logo/font. What if CityScape (at full development) becomes a major destination, Central/Wash - CityScape Station.

I wouldn't want to see What-a-Burger Station or worse...Pink Taco Station, but that would never happen...right??

exit2lef
Jun 4, 2009, 1:16 PM
I received a reply from Valley Metro customer service about the one-car trains. The claim is that the major savings is in reduced electricity usage. No real explanation of why the one-car wonders are running sometimes at rush hour.

Meanwhile, anti-rail forces, who circle like vultures looking for any bad news they can find, are taking notice:

http://sonoranalliance.com/?p=4355

HX_Guy
Jun 4, 2009, 3:45 PM
7 hurt when light rail, bus collide

by Rosha Safarmehdi - Jun. 4, 2009 08:09 AM
The Arizona Republic

Seven people were injured Wednesday morning when a Valley Metro bus crashed into a Valley Metro light rail on First Avenue and Washington Street in Phoenix.

The seven passengers were taken from the scene to be treated for minor injuries, Phoenix police spokesman Luis Samudio said. It was unclear if the injured passengers were from the bus or train.

Samudio said police believe the bus might have run a red light, causing the collision.

Larry Koehler, 53, a passenger on the light rail, said he felt the "brakes grinding" and saw the lights on the light rail go out, but he wasn't too worried. He said he felt the collision but it didn't seem too dramatic.

Samudio estimated the delay from the accident would be between 15-20 minutes.

Vicelord John
Jun 4, 2009, 4:38 PM
all the helicopters hovering over my house at 7:30 this morning to cover that were not making me happy.

Jsmscaleros
Jun 4, 2009, 8:22 PM
Somebody got fired for that one...

Leo the Dog
Jun 4, 2009, 10:32 PM
I can just see all of the AZCentral haters/whiners now...

Evil Empire
Jun 5, 2009, 9:00 AM
I can just see all of the AZCentral haters/whiners now...

I'm new here and this has probably been discussed before...but is anyone else disgusted at the content of like 75% of those posts? Not the crude jokes or "mean-spirited" statements but the vastly uninformed and hateful nature of them? It seems like all of the dumbest people in the Valley congregate on there and post their comments.

HooverDam
Jun 5, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm new here and this has probably been discussed before...but is anyone else disgusted at the content of like 75% of those posts? Not the crude jokes or "mean-spirited" statements but the vastly uninformed and hateful nature of them? It seems like all of the dumbest people in the Valley congregate on there and post their comments.

Yah we've all discussed it here before. The people on there are just amazingly ignorant.

And no matter what the topic is, those fools bring up illegal immigration. Headline: "Free puppy giveaway in Gilbert today" Comments: "they're probably fucking illegal Mexican puppies, taking jobs from hard working American puppies"

Don B.
Jun 5, 2009, 2:42 PM
^ LOL! So true. :)

That's why I don't post there anymore. As the old internet saying goes, arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics. You are still retarded.

--don

PHX31
Jun 5, 2009, 4:12 PM
I think the people that bring up immigration all the time are funny. It's pretty obvious they are doing it on purpose when it has nothing to do with anything.

However, I can't stand the azcentral people. It is the flat earth society on those comment boards.

Vicelord John
Jun 5, 2009, 5:30 PM
I rode the stupid train last night to my friends house and it was a huge pain in the ass.

I left my house and got to the Eastlake station at 6:15 and waited for a train for about 5 minutes. When I got to their house at Central and Colter, it was 7:05.... I figure 5 minutes walking from uptown station to their house plus the 5 minutes to wait for the train, and it looks like it was a 30+ minute ride from Eastlake to Uptown. At least they got new maps and turned the gay announcements off.

Buckeye Native 001
Jun 5, 2009, 9:04 PM
I think the people that bring up immigration all the time are funny. It's pretty obvious they are doing it on purpose when it has nothing to do with anything.

However, I can't stand the azcentral people. It is the flat earth society on those comment boards.

More often than not, it makes the New Republic forums look liberal by comparison.

Jsmscaleros
Jun 5, 2009, 9:48 PM
http://cityguides.msn.com/articles/cityarticle.aspx?cp-documentid=19621893&gt1=24000

Looks like the Metro is getting some national notoriety.