PDA

View Full Version : Metro Phoenix Transit/Transportation Developments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86

Thirsty
Oct 13, 2011, 11:46 PM
Has this video of the prototype Tempe Streetcar been posted yet?:

http://www.azcentral.com/video/1167504370001

They look nice, I agree with the guy in the video that mentioned the Streetcar should be ASU colors---that would be cool.

Until about two years ago I lived right in the area. This Tempe Streetcar is either a good first-step in making Tempe a rail transit Mecca (which seems unlikely) or a colossal waste of money.

Mill has little need for this kind of transit. It is shady and walkable even in the summer, and it isn't very long, so you never really break a sweat. Plus it is swarming with public transit as is (kudos to the city for that).

The streetcar route only connects two destinations. The obvious benefit is connecting Mill to Tempe's civic center (library, museum ect.) but how much demand exists for that route? And I believe the Orbit already runs the route, albeit serpentine.

Maybe someone can talk me down from this stance; after all I haven't really been keeping my ear to the ground in Tempe.

Thirsty
Oct 14, 2011, 12:15 AM
I just read the light rail/commuter rail argument from last month.

Light rail is good for trips of a few miles. Beyond that it is too slow to be a realistic alternative. Basically, the people who love to hate the Phoenix LRT have a factually correct argument (2 hours from end to end), even though they completely miss the point.

What I want to know is:

Can cities build a light/commuter hybrid? Something that functions as a Light Rail where needed, but can travel 60-70 mph between more distant stops/suburban hubs (on its own right of way of course) Is the motor, or interior of a light rail car incompatible with those speeds?

nickw252
Oct 14, 2011, 12:54 AM
What I want to know is:

Can cities build a light/commuter hybrid? Something that functions as a Light Rail where needed, but can travel 60-70 mph between more distant stops/suburban hubs (on its own right of way of course) Is the motor, or interior of a light rail car incompatible with those speeds?

The CTA has just what you're describing but with heavy rail.

http://www.transitchicago.com/purpleline/

http://www.transitchicago.com/yellowline/

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/maps/cta_Train_Map_-_April_2011.pdf

HooverDam
Oct 14, 2011, 1:35 AM
What I want to know is[/B]:

The vehicles Valley Metro is using max out at 55MPH, thats the very fastest they can go.

Thirsty
Oct 14, 2011, 1:47 AM
The vehicles Valley Metro is using max out at 55MPH, thats the very fastest they can go.

Thanks Hoover and Nick.

I guess the gist of my question is two part:

1. Are the faster trains not nimble enough to operate at street level (subject to traffic lights etc.) even at lower speeds?

2. The current design of streetcars & light rail is subway-ish. Some seating, with lots of open room for standing. Commuter rail seems to be more traditional or airplane like. Is it unsafe to run a train at 70mph with a light-rail "open" layout?

Vicelord John
Oct 14, 2011, 3:42 AM

Light rail is good for trips of a few miles. Beyond that it is too slow to be a realistic alternative. Basically, the people who love to hate the Phoenix LRT have a factually correct argument (2 hours from end to end), even though they completely miss the point.

What I want to know is:

TWO hours? Where the fuck did that number come from!?

Thirsty
Oct 14, 2011, 4:10 AM

Who knows. Anything longer than a car ride is a relevant argument. The longest I ever rode it is from Mesa to the BOB, and that took a full hour.

Never-the-less, like I said, the people who make this argument don't understand how public transit works.

Vicelord John
Oct 14, 2011, 4:25 AM
I was pretty sure it was an hour ride, no?

RichTempe
Oct 14, 2011, 5:21 AM
According to Valley Metro's schedule it's 1hr. 5min. from one end to the other, which sounds about right. It takes me about 40 minutes to get from Central/Roosevelt to Apache/McClintock.

N830MH
Oct 14, 2011, 6:55 AM

Hey! Watch your mouth, huh? You can't use inappropriate language on message board. Try to be polite to each other. Try be more respectful.

N830MH
Oct 14, 2011, 7:05 AM
According to Valley Metro's schedule it's 1hr. 5min. from one end to the other, which sounds about right. It takes me about 40 minutes to get from Central/Roosevelt to Apache/McClintock.

I think you're absolutely right about this one. It will take approximately 1.5 hrs to get there to Mesa. This is where starter on Montebello Ave to end of line in Mesa.

combusean
Oct 14, 2011, 10:15 AM

You are the only person I've seen to make the argument that LRT is only good for a few miles. Light rail is good for whatever people want. The issue is not necessarily the travel time from Point A to Point B. Convenience and cost compared to a car are just as important. I've found myself not riding LRT for the occasional few-mile central city trip just because it's cheaper for me to drive the same distance with the fare structure the way it is--I park for free at my place and park for free at my destination and am usually making a reverse trip. If you're a commuter with a monthly pass, it's a lot different story. Same if you have to pay for parking, are commuting during rush hour and don't want to deal with that stress, etc. The fact that the LRT doesn't go everywhere is in fact its biggest impediment in my mind.

Thanks Hoover and Nick.

I guess the gist of my question is two part:

1. Are the faster trains not nimble enough to operate at street level (subject to traffic lights etc.) even at lower speeds?

Perhaps. I would highly doubt any of the modern diesel/overhead-catenary electric units could handle the extraordinarily tight turning radius of LRT vehicles in Phoenix streets. Articulation counts for a lot here.

2. The current design of streetcars & light rail is subway-ish. Some seating, with lots of open room for standing. Commuter rail seems to be more traditional or airplane like. Is it unsafe to run a train at 70mph with a light-rail "open" layout?

I wouldn't consider them any less safe than a bus. The weight difference mitigates vehicular impacts.

Vicelord John
Oct 14, 2011, 12:41 PM
Hey! Watch your mouth, huh? You can't use inappropriate language on message board. Try to be polite to each other. Try be more respectful.

Really? I can't? I did, and it didn't filter it. One of the things I like about this board is I can say shit without it turning into stars. :)

and who said anything disrespectful to anyone?

Thirsty
Oct 15, 2011, 3:00 AM
You are the only person I've seen to make the argument that LRT is only good for a few miles. Light rail is good for whatever people want. The issue is not necessarily the travel time from Point A to Point B. Convenience and cost compared to a car are just as important. I've found myself not riding LRT for the occasional few-mile central city trip just because it's cheaper for me to drive the same distance with the fare structure the way it is--I park for free at my place and park for free at my destination and am usually making a reverse trip. If you're a commuter with a monthly pass, it's a lot different story. Same if you have to pay for parking, are commuting during rush hour and don't want to deal with that stress, etc. The fact that the LRT doesn't go everywhere is in fact its biggest impediment in my mind.

You must have a very pro-rail group of friends:D

I hear the nay-sayers all the time.

I've talked to people who think it is impractical and the argument always comes to "I could drive there faster" or average speeds and they always bring up the time it takes to travel the entire line, but I doubt many people ever use it that way (going end to end).

My observations could be skewed, as I use the rail in the east valley, and mostly see people riding between Mesa and Tempe.

Vicelord John
Oct 15, 2011, 3:26 AM
When people say they can drive there faster I just ask gem if they can read a book or play a game while they drive.

RichTempe
Oct 15, 2011, 4:51 AM
I think you're absolutely right about this one. It will take approximately 1.5 hrs to get there to Mesa. This is where starter on Montebello Ave to end of line in Mesa.

I said 1 hour and 5 minutes (65 minutes) not 1.5 hrs. That is according to Valley Metro's published LRT schedule.

Vicelord John
Oct 15, 2011, 1:03 PM
I said 1 hour and 5 minutes (65 minutes) not 1.5 hrs. That is according to Valley Metro's published LRT schedule.

I was biting my tongue, but I knew someone would chime in. Thank you Rich.

Who is this Thirsty character anyway?

Leo the Dog
Oct 15, 2011, 3:56 PM

You cannot be serious?!

Language Police :whip:

Vicelord John
Oct 15, 2011, 4:29 PM
You cannot be serious?!

Language Police :whip:

You know I would fucking never fucking say fuck. Fucking ever.

TakeFive
Oct 15, 2011, 10:05 PM

What I want to know is:

The previous light/commuter rail debate included diverse angles and views. But you chose to boil it down to just your own personal thinking view which not untypical.

Just to review a couple of points....

Phoenix light rail has exceeded all expectations. It's a fancy interurban trolley. That's why it works so well. It meets a stronger than expected demand for this.

Denver by contrast, has one line that is primarily suburb to city commuter traffic with few stops and good run times. Because the cars are generally full after a couple of stops,
it works well. It does suffer from lower ridership during the day.

A good metro transit system can meet different objectives and different resident needs by simply designing/building for these.

In Western states, I would guess that Portland probably does the best job of meeting urban/interurban and commuter needs.

TakeFive
Oct 15, 2011, 10:24 PM
The issue is not necessarily the travel time from Point A to Point B. Convenience and cost compared to a car are just as important.

I've found myself not riding LRT for the occasional few-mile central city trip just because it's cheaper for me to drive the same distance with the fare structure the way it is--I park for free at my place and park for free at my destination and am usually making a reverse trip. If you're a commuter with a monthly pass, it's a lot different story. Same if you have to pay for parking, are commuting during rush hour and don't want to deal with that stress, etc.

For reasons you mention, your feelings don't count. :D

Actually I realized from your points the role of density or lack thereof, from just having more people with more reasons to ride plus
tighter parking and increased advantages of convenience.

I do, however, support the Western "new model" of letting a well designed transit route precede density which will follow. Not without risk, but better than the risk of doing nothing
and (can be) better than trying to shoehorn transit through density just for the sake of density. Obviously taking advantage of density is ideal when it already exists.

combusean
Oct 15, 2011, 11:38 PM
For reasons you mention, your feelings don't count. :D

Bullshit. No man is an island. If I am experiencing an issue with the system I'm not the only one. I wonder how many of the trickles of people that move to the central city to be close to the light rail actually end up using it. I go to special events in Tempe on the train to save on parking but just drive to shop at Spectrum Mall.

Actually I realized from your points the role of density or lack thereof, from just having more people with more reasons to ride plus
tighter parking and increased advantages of convenience.

The LRT just has to go where people go. It speaks volumes about the built environment when what was the longest upstart line in the country serves such a small fraction of overall trips.

I do, however, support the Western "new model" of letting a well designed transit route precede density which will follow. Not without risk, but better than the risk of doing nothing and (can be) better than trying to shoehorn transit through density just for the sake of density. Obviously taking advantage of density is ideal when it already exists.

I agree. If you could just lay tracks down and expect some volume of density to follow, we would have seen a lot more development between downtown Phoenix and Tempe than the one lowrise office building and aLoft hotel that were constructed during the boom--and those two structures already had the airport and 44th St corridor to tie into.

Other parts of Washington St never had much and still don't besides the train.

In retrospect, perhaps Phoenix made a mistake entertaining all those zoning cases near the 12th St station--the light rail became a tool of land bankers seeking to overzone property rather than developers looking to build.

And the nodal sprawl isn't taken advantage of here. We don't have any bus routes that regularly and directly connect the various nodes together, for example.

TakeFive
Oct 16, 2011, 12:07 AM
Bullshit. No man is an island. If I am experiencing an issue with the system I'm not the only one. I wonder how many of the trickles of people that move to the central city to be close to the light rail actually end up using it. I go to special events in Tempe on the train to save on parking but just drive to shop at Spectrum Mall.
My comment meant to be pure sarcasm, perhaps a bad attempt at a little humor. Having arrived after construction was under way, I've never given any thought as to what could or should have been done and not familiar with that conversation.
In retrospect, perhaps Phoenix made a mistake entertaining all those zoning cases near the 12th St station--the light rail became a tool of land bankers seeking to overzone property rather than developers looking to build.
Not familiar with all that, but sounds right. I get frustrated by those who ask "where's all the development that was supposed to happen" as if the real estate crash and Great Recession are non-factors.

TakeFive
Oct 16, 2011, 12:47 AM
For those who are still confused about what good transit is for, perhaps you've neglected to read this. It's classic.

Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others

November 29, 2000 | ISSUE 44•27 ISSUE 36•43

WASHINGTON, DC–A study released Monday by the American Public Transportation Association reveals that 98 percent of Americans support the use of mass transit by others.

"With traffic congestion, pollution, and oil shortages all getting worse, now is the time to shift to affordable, efficient public transportation," APTA director Howard Collier said. "Fortunately, as this report shows, Americans have finally recognized the need for everyone else to do exactly that."

You'd be well advised to read the full article and please don't neglect to watch the video. http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-98-percent-of-us-commuters-favor-public-tra,1434/

Leo the Dog
Oct 16, 2011, 2:09 PM
^^^In Boston, suburbanites were in favor of T additions because if inner-city dwellers used public transportation it freed up valuable space on the roads for them to drive into the city.

I always thought it was silly for Phoenix suburbanites (this also includes Phoenix suburban hoods) to fight against improvements to Phoenix transit, don't they realize it benefits everyone?

If one loves their car, they should promote alternative modes of transportation for "the others" to use, so they can enjoy their ride in their car.

HX_Guy
Oct 20, 2011, 5:50 PM
Great to see the numbers increasing...

Metro Phoenix's light rail system sets new record

Metro light rail set a ridership record in September, making the month the busiest since the system opened in December 2008. Metro reported 1,241,701 boardings and it said this year’s ridership is about 4 percent higher than last year.
Metro ridership has grown so quickly that it’s approaching levels projected for 2020. The system carried 47,818 riders on average during weekdays last month, compared with a projected 48,004 in 2020 that was estimated when Metro was in the planning stages.
Metro also broke a record for its busiest day, with 60,437 passengers on Sept. 9. Ridership on that Friday was driven by the Arizona Diamondbacks and Arizona State University football.

PhxDowntowner
Oct 20, 2011, 6:09 PM
Where's the *like* button?

PhxDowntowner
Oct 20, 2011, 7:12 PM
how do you paste an image in here? it looks like it only accepts URLs of images?

HX_Guy
Oct 20, 2011, 7:23 PM
how do you paste an image in here? it looks like it only accepts URLs of images?

Yea, you need the link for the image and then paste it between

hrivas
Oct 20, 2011, 10:23 PM
Phoenix transit department gets $7 in new grants
Phoenix Business Journal by Jan Buchholz, Reporter
Date: Wednesday, October 19, 2011, 5:51pm MST

"The second grant for $1 million and will fund an analysis of high-capacity transit service in south central Phoenix, particular along Central Avenue from Washington Street to Baseline Road."

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2011/10/19/phoenix-transit-department-gets-7-in.html?ed=2011-10-20&s=article_du&ana=e_du_pub

PhxDowntowner
Oct 21, 2011, 12:46 AM
Phoenix transit department gets $7 in new grants

They could have just asked me for it. I went to the ATM yesterday.

phxSUNSfan
Oct 21, 2011, 1:50 AM
^LMOA! The article states $7 million but the headline probably attracted more readers! Talk about typo; usually this level of editing is owned by AZ Republic...What's going on at the Biz Journal???

nickw252
Oct 21, 2011, 3:26 AM
While the Arizona Department of Transportation takes public comments on a Tucson-to-Phoenix intercity passenger rail study, a logical next question: What happens next?

The public comment period is the first step in a year-long environmental impact study on the proposal. So far, there's no funding to actually build the multi-billion dollar project.

http://insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/top_stories/state-takes-first-steps-on-tucson-to-phoenix-rail-line/article_fa5f49d0-f5d6-11e0-8bb5-001cc4c03286.html

combusean
Oct 21, 2011, 2:41 PM

Upload the image to imgur.com, then copy the jpg URL it spits out in the end.

PhxDowntowner
Oct 21, 2011, 3:54 PM
Here're two graphs that I update every month as Metro collects new ridership numbers:

http://i.imgur.com/yWA5s.jpg

Leo the Dog
Oct 21, 2011, 4:04 PM
Interesting graphs.

I wonder what was going on Sundays, July 2010 to make a spike in both graphs?

PHX31
Oct 21, 2011, 4:13 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand your first graph... how can the blue line (avg boardings per day) be the highest line? Weekdays see the most avg daily ridership, so if you averaged in the holiday/weekend numbers, the total average per day (all days) should be lower than the weekdays.

I guess come to think of it, I also don't understand the total boardings per month side of the graph. Shouldn't the blue line be significantly higher than the weekday numbers in this case if you're combining all the total numbers?

Can you explain?

PhxDowntowner
Oct 21, 2011, 4:22 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand your first graph... how can the blue line (avg boardings per day) be the highest line? Weekdays see the most avg daily ridership, so if you averaged in the holiday/weekend numbers, the total average per day (all days) should be lower than the weekdays.

I guess come to think of it, I also don't understand the total boardings per month side of the graph. Shouldn't the blue line be significantly higher than the weekday numbers in this case if you're combining all the total numbers?

Can you explain?

Graph #1: The right (blue) axis corresponds to the blue line. The left axis serves all the rest. Note the scale difference.

PhxDowntowner
Oct 21, 2011, 4:25 PM
Interesting graphs.

I think it has to a lot to do with the Independence Day celebration at Steele Indian School Park. Could be wrong.

HX_Guy
Oct 21, 2011, 4:25 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't see a graph? I see a little blue box with a ? in it.

Leo the Dog
Oct 21, 2011, 4:26 PM

Never mind, I think I just figured out my own question. Sundays and Holidays.

4th of July weekend.

PhxDowntowner
Oct 21, 2011, 4:34 PM
i just changed it from twitpic to imgur like combusean suggested. See if that helps.

PHX31
Oct 21, 2011, 5:09 PM
Graph #1: The right (blue) axis corresponds to the blue line. The left axis serves all the rest. Note the scale difference.

Yeah, I saw the difference, just thought somehow you were trying to apply all lines to both sides. thanks.

TakeFive
Oct 22, 2011, 2:17 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't see a graph? I see a little blue box with a ? in it.

Umm, it's not the graphs I'm questioning (hehe).

Thirsty
Oct 23, 2011, 5:58 AM
When people say they can drive there faster I just ask gem if they can read a book or play a game while they drive.

I can already tell you the response.

"Book reading is for elitist and games are for slackers"

Thirsty
Oct 23, 2011, 6:22 AM
The previous light/commuter rail debate included diverse angles and views. But you chose to boil it down to just your own personal thinking view which not untypical.

Just to review a couple of points....

Phoenix light rail has exceeded all expectations. It's a fancy interurban trolley. That's why it works so well. It meets a stronger than expected demand for this.

Denver by contrast, has one line that is primarily suburb to city commuter traffic with few stops and good run times. Because the cars are generally full after a couple of stops,
it works well. It does suffer from lower ridership during the day.

A good metro transit system can meet different objectives and different resident needs by simply designing/building for these.

In Western states, I would guess that Portland probably does the best job of meeting urban/interurban and commuter needs.

Huh? How did I become the wicked anti-public transit witch? I use the LRT all the time because it fits my life.

Stopping every half mile and periodically at red lights doesn't make sense for people in Peoria or Queen Creek who want to someday ride the rail to Phoenix though. Obviously a combination of different rail types works best. I'm just curious if a city could hit both birds with one stone. Could future lines server both purposes, or are there fundamental limitations?

Basically, operating as the valley's LRT does in Phoenix, Tempe and soon to be DT Mesa and any other denser areas, and then shoveling some coal on the fire between distant suburban hubs, all using the same carriages/infrastructure.

Thirsty
Oct 23, 2011, 7:08 AM
http://insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/top_stories/state-takes-first-steps-on-tucson-to-phoenix-rail-line/article_fa5f49d0-f5d6-11e0-8bb5-001cc4c03286.html

I support this. Tucsonans want better access to Sky Harbor, as TIA doesn't fly non-stop to the East Coast or many cities with fewer than 3M people, and currently no service south of the boarder.

But I suspect the political tentacles of the two airports (Tucson's mostly) will delay this at every turn. Those hourly flights to and from Sky Harbor make up almost a 5th of air traffic in Tucson.

TakeFive
Oct 23, 2011, 6:24 PM
Huh? How did I become the wicked anti-public transit witch? I use the LRT all the time because it fits my life.

Stopping every half mile and periodically at red lights doesn't make sense for people in Peoria or Queen Creek who want to someday ride the rail to Phoenix though. Obviously a combination of different rail types works best. I'm just curious if a city could hit both birds with one stone. Could future lines server both purposes, or are there fundamental limitations?

Basically, operating as the valley's LRT does in Phoenix, Tempe and soon to be DT Mesa and any other denser areas, and then shoveling some coal on the fire between distant suburban hubs, all using the same carriages/infrastructure.

I can imagine that many from Denver (like planners, etc.) would marvel at the success of Phoenix's light rail that travels a mostly urban path. The numbers speak for themselves.

To accomplish what you are envisioning, light (or commuter) rail lines need to travel in their own ROW with substantial grade separation. This is accomplished by utilizing existing corridors
like freeways or long-time (freight) railroad lines.

This is how Denver's system works. There isn't (much) more than a mile of line that travels through the urban area outside of their ROW corridor. The third line is under construction and is more of a hybrid.
It starts out (from downtown) mostly along existing and then an old abandoned railroad line. It then moves to/along a freeway. At major areas it may veer off for stations before moving back along
the freeway. For the first several miles it runs through/nearby urban neighborhoods with grade separation only at major intersections. The route though doesn't clash with busy cross traffic.

On Denver's first two lines, stations are at major intersections where they either build the station along the corridor or it may veer slightly and briefly from the corridor to a station. On the new
third line which is more urban closer in, the stations will be closer than further out where they only stop at major area-intersections.

Denver is absolutely convinced that there will be lots of TOD once the economy improves. With this new line they have been beefing up infrastructure like the nearby roads and intersections,
utilities, drainage etc. as they build to accommodate this.

So to answer your question, yes you can do that... if you utilize existing ROW (or could create it) with grade separation at major intersections etc. The issue will be that the ridership numbers won't
be as strong, but it would accomplish what many desire, like yourself.

HX_Guy
Oct 26, 2011, 5:59 AM
Have you guys seen this?

http://downtowndevil.com/2011/10/19/15592/grand-avenue-rail-project-garp/

Grand Avenue Rail Project seeks to reinvigorate neighborhood
By Downtown Devil, On Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 |

An average street in Phoenix runs either north and south or east and west. It probably has more banks than cafes if it’s downtown, or more shopping plazas than boutiques in the suburbs.

Grand Avenue is not an average street.

It’s lined with eclectic shops and businesses, such as the Trunk Space, an experimental theatre and music venue that also sells espresso and handmade gifts, or Deus Ex Machina, a gallery of five artists’ work held in a historic building. On Oct. 22, the area will hold its annual Grand Avenue Festival, showcasing the creative businesses that populate the street.

But Grand Avenue has seen better days, and the impact of the recession has taken its toll on the area. For all its character, Grand Avenue has its own challenges for the future.

However, one man and his team have a plan to revive Grand Avenue and make it a little quirkier. Bob Graham, an architect and owner of Motley Design Group, has a plan to install a street car system that would run down Grand Avenue from the I-10 overpass to Van Buren Street.

“It’s not really a transportation project,” he said. “It’s an economic tool. This is supposed to be an attraction to enhance Grand Avenue.”

The Grand Avenue Rail Project recently won an $80,000 Greening of Americas grant that will be used for services. The grant came from the Environmental Protection Agency for their plan to make the Grand Avenue more pedestrian friendly. But they still need more funding.

“I’m trying to get across to them that we’re not looking for a handout, but a leg up,” Graham said.

Step by step

Graham’s plan is to set up tracks in phases, a little at a time, in the middle of the street. The system would have a stop about every four blocks.

He also stressed that the streetcar system would be completely different from Valley Metro’s light rail. It would not interrupt traffic during or after construction, and cars would be able to drive over the tracks.

Graham said Grand Avenue needs this project in order to bring people to the area and money to businesses. He added that right now the area struggles because downtown Phoenix is not designed to be a walkable urban area, especially given the high temperatures Phoenix experiences most of the year. The solution is to not make people walk everywhere, he said.

“I love downtown,” Graham said. “You look around at other places, and Phoenix is way behind in creating these urban environments.”

Graham said now is the time to try to get this project rolling because “the trend now is back to urbanism and away from suburbia.” Thus, the project aims to make downtown Phoenix a more pedestrian-friendly area that people can walk around and explore.

Graham added that the biggest impediment is the City of Phoenix and the Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG). The city owns the street and must approve any use of it. As of now, the city council and their councilmembers have not been very supportive, he said.

He also said he needs the City Council’s support to get on MAG’s list. MAG is the regional agency that governs over transportation issues and helps fund transportation projects. In order for the street car system to get going, Graham will need their support as well.

City Council can go to MAG and support and issue, which helps put it on MAG’s priority list.

“It all still comes back to City Council,” Graham pointed out. “It’s in a flux. We still don’t know who our mayor is going to be.”

So for now, Graham waits, hoping city Councilman Michael Nowakowski will take a more supportive stance after the elections.

In the meantime, he focuses on getting the nonprofit group Grand Avenue Rail Project, otherwise known as GARP, running. GARP can help facilitate the MAG process as well as help raise money for the project.

Graham said they’re not trying to rely on local public money, but the chances of receiving federal money are diminishing, and he will likely have to seek private funding from investors. Graham does not want to charge passengers a lot of money to use the trolley system.

“Money is still the hitch, but that’s true of every project,” he said. “The whole idea of this project is how do we do it on the cheap? Compared to the light rail system this is a smoking bargain.”

Despite the potential economic benefits, the current plan for GARP may have some downfalls. Urban transportation expert Sean Sweat said there are some problems with the design.

The way the project is currently designed, construction would begin on Grand Avenue in phases, heading toward the Central Avenue light-rail stop.

“The project will fail if it follows that particular planning route,” he said. Sweat sketched out a small map of the proposed route on a sticky note outlining the section of Grand Avenue between the intersections of Roosevelt and 15th St., and Van Buren and 7th St. as well as its connection via Van Buren to Central Ave. Sweat identified the sections as Phase One and Phase Two, respectively.

“If it wants to succeed, Phase One has to connect to the light rail,” he said, circling the section of Van Buren that connects to Central Ave. Sweat added that this makes more sense because more people are located or are traveling on Central and via the light rail. He stressed the importance of connecting a large number of people to a location. “Transit requires density and there is currently no density on Grand Avenue,” he said.

Sweat is not directly involved in the project but is keeping an eye on it and hopes it succeeds.

Hardships along Grand

Empty buildings with boarded up windows are abundant along Grand Avenue. But a growing number of businesses, new and old, are working to revitalize the street.

Beatrice Moore, the owner of Kooky Krafts, is a member of the Grand Avenue Merchants’ Association (GAMA). She heads up the renovation of old buildings on Grand Avenue in order to maintain them, and rents them out to local artists or prospective business owners.

By renovating and reusing old spaces, Moore preserves the area’s history and character. Moore said Grand Avenue flourished with tourist activity and businesses before the recession. She said that the poor management of the properties along the route led to the general decline of the area.

Moore said developers want to tear down old buildings and turn them into more profitable spaces. She argued that such practices eroded the historic element of the city by eliminating unique architecture for the sake of profit. Her idea is that by renovating and reusing old buildings, the history of an area is preserved and allows for the growth of new businesses.

Moore hopes that the trolley and renovated buildings will “set an example for the rest of Phoenix and will send a message to the developers that there won’t be high-rises in a particular neighborhood.”

She believes the streetcar would positively affect the community by drawing people to Grand Avenue, make businesses in the area look better and draw attention to renovation and preservation efforts.

Sandy Hathy, the owner of Bikini Lounge, agreed that GARP would benefit the area, particularly the art business. She said that it is important to preserve the historic and unique buildings we have in Phoenix.

“We have a lot of positive things going on and we’d like to keep it going,” she said. “GARP will open doors for people to see.”

The Paisley Violin is considered Grand Avenue’s anchor as one of the few places holding strong amid the harsh economic downturn. Owner Derek Suarez likes the idea of GARP and says the area but expressed concern over the possibility of a fare that could be charged to passengers.

“It has to be free or it won’t work,” he said.

Graham said maintenance costs would require riders to pay a small fee but that the system is not intended to be a moneymaker.

A brief history of transit

Phoenix’s trolley system ran during the days of America’s Old West, past the decade of the flappers and even through the Great Depression. From 1888 to 1948, Phoenix’s Trolley system was how most people got around.

Most of the system was constructed by Moses Hazeltine Sherman and ran north and south. Eighteen streetcars ran on the line, which covered Phoenix and extended into Glendale.

A 1928 flood in Cave Creek led to the closing of the Grand Avenue segment of the line.

Two of the 18 streetcars have been found and preserved by the Phoenix Trolley Museum. Some were saved from being melted down into scrap metal and others were purchased at auctions held by the city. The other cars were lost in various disasters such as a 1947 fire in the warehouse where the streetcars were stored and a flood that swept away two in 1978.

The Phoenix Trolley Museum started in 1975 when the museum’s founders purchased one of the last remaining streetcars. The nonprofit group restores these streetcars and is entirely funded by federal grants.

Rudy Workman, a member of the Phoenix Trolley Museum, thinks GARP will draw attention to businesses in the area but that the construction of the project looks to be a slow process due to the number of expenses.

John Jacquemart, a tour guide for the Grand Avenue Festival, said Grand Avenue has a history of being a transportation hot spot. It used to be the main road to Wickenburg, Ariz., and California, with horse-drawn carriages that would transport riders along the length of Grand Avenue during the 1890s.

Eventually these carriages were replaced with the Grand Avenue Trolley during the early 1940s, which in turn was replaced with a major bus route on the street.

According to Jacquemart, the developers who created Grand Avenue planned to build large houses and make Grand Avenue part of a new upper-class neighborhood. In a way, Grand Avenue enjoyed a short period of prosperity during the latter half of the 20th century as tourist motels and resorts sprung up along the length of the boulevard.

As time passed, the properties along Grand Avenue suffered as the economy began to decline, and some of the properties also were mismanaged by their owners. The now defunct Phoenix Gazette reported one owner was arrested during November of 1989 on charges related to prostitution and theft. Authorities seized the four motels he owned on Grand Avenue.

Looking forward

GARP is the latest plan to target Grand Avenue for change. In 1986, several plans were put forth by the City of Phoenix to renovate the area, resulting in the road being expanded into the larger expressway it is today.

“GARP fulfills a need for transportation and it’s an important low-tech way of doing it,” Jacquemart said. “GARP will be a great way to show the difference between downtown and the unique character of Grand Avenue.”

Graham and other supporters of GARP want to see the empty buildings turn into prosperous and successful businesses. They want to see the street lined with people, investing in the economy and local businesses.

“The variety that exists on Grand Avenue is important for everyone,” Jacquemart said. “It has local color and we need that.”

Graham said he hopes his project will be an improvement to Grand Avenue that will benefit everyone, and he see GARP possessing the innovative spirit necessary to kick start a once thriving sector of the city.

“The thing about urban pioneers is that we move on to the next thing that hasn’t been discovered yet,” he said.

Contact the reporters at diangelea.millar@asu.edu and preston.sotelo@asu.edu

dtnphx
Oct 26, 2011, 5:21 PM
I could see that area resembling 4th Ave in Downtown Tucson. Funky, eclectic. That would be nice.

PHX31
Oct 26, 2011, 6:03 PM
If they threw in some facade rehabilitations like the Crescent Ballroom did, it would look/be even better.

I'll never understand what people were thinking when they slapped on a plain corrugated metal facade over a (likely) nice 2-story brick building.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/phxrep/grand.jpg

hrivas
Oct 26, 2011, 10:22 PM
a few crosswalks on grand would be nice too...

HooverDam
Oct 27, 2011, 11:01 AM
Indeed that building, the OS Stapley building, did indeed once look nice:

http://azarchitecture.com/images/photos/aawebAAC1.jpg

I've always thought it would make an excellent single screen revival theater. Similar to the Brattle Theater here in Boston or even better like the New Beverly in L.A. The adjacent buildings could house the entry, lobby, concession, restrooms, a bar and restaurant.

According to this site (http://azarchitecture.com/property_detail.cfm?auto_id=632) that building and the few adjacent to it can be had for just $1M....I'm only a PowerBall away from being the new owner.

PHX31
Oct 27, 2011, 5:25 PM
Indeed that building, the OS Stapley building, did indeed once look nice:

http://azarchitecture.com/images/photos/aawebAAC1.jpg

I've always thought it would make an excellent single screen revival theater. Similar to the Brattle Theater here in Boston or even better like the New Beverly in L.A. The adjacent buildings could house the entry, lobby, concession, restrooms, a bar and restaurant.

According to this site (http://azarchitecture.com/property_detail.cfm?auto_id=632) that building and the few adjacent to it can be had for just $1M....I'm only a PowerBall away from being the new owner.

Wow, only $1Mil? That seems like a steal... $1,000,000 for 41,000 SF?? That's like $25 per square foot of great visibility/location/history. Seems cheap (right?)

And your idea is amazing. It would blow FilmBar out of the water.

I wish the picture was clearer so we could see exactly what architectural details might be under the corrugated metal veil.

If only the current owners took that metal off, regardless of how crappy things look underneath (I bet it's still in pretty decent shape), I would think the history and brick would help the thing sell faster.

Leo the Dog
Oct 27, 2011, 8:15 PM
Maybe allow on-street parking again on this stretch of Grand, like the good ol' days.

HooverDam
Oct 28, 2011, 12:20 AM
xWow, only $1Mil? That seems like a steal... $1,000,000 for 41,000 SF?? That's like $25 per square foot of great visibility/location/history. Seems cheap (right?)

It seems crazy cheap to me, another nearby building is for sale too, but at a much higher price per square foot and I'm not sure why:

http://azarchitecture.com/property_detail.cfm?auto_id=561

And your idea is amazing. It would blow FilmBar out of the water.

Well I'd like to think eventually Central PHX could support something like FilmBar and a revival house. I'm about as film nerdy as they come and even a lot of the stuff FilmBar shows is way too out there for me.

The New Beverly Cinema in LA is beyond awesome and I'm super jealous of it. They do awesome themed double features, like showing "Resevoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction" for a night, or maybe the original and then remake of "Cape Fear", etc.

If only the current owners took that metal off, regardless of how crappy things look underneath (I bet it's still in pretty decent shape), I would think the history and brick would help the thing sell faster.

Agreed.

Also, I think Grand Ave would be a perfect spot for something like Portland, Oregons Ground Kontrol (http://groundkontrol.com/). That whole little stretch of buildings there really needs to be carefully and wisely developed into a gateway for Lower Grand.

Maybe allow on-street parking again on this stretch of Grand, like the good ol' days.

On street parallel parking is allowed during much of the day currently, just not during "rush" hour. The thing that really needs to happen to revitalize Grand Ave is the GARP (http://www.garpaz.org/Pages/Vision.html) project.

HooverDam
Oct 29, 2011, 8:22 AM
Phoenix Transit Department wins grants

1 comment Oct. 28, 2011 08:44 AM
The Arizona Republic

The Phoenix Public Transit Department has won two federal grants for a combined $7.32 million that will pay for renovations to a transit facility and a study for serving residents in central and south Phoenix.

The first grant from the Federal Transit Administration is for $6.36 million and will pay for refurbishing the North Transportation Facility that houses 145 buses.

The second FTA grant, for $1 million, will pay for a study of how different types of transit, such as rapid bus, that could serve residents in south and downtown Phoenix along the Central Avenue corridor from Washington Street to Baseline Road.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2011/10/28/20111028phoenix-transit-department-wins-grants.html#ixzz1c9myAcYj

This is good news, we really need to get LRT on South Central Ave on the planning boards. Its beyond silly that Metro has heretofore ignored that corridor. Hopefully if Stanton is elected he'll keep up his campaign talk about how important that transit corridor is. At the very least an initial phase of LRT needs to run South to the Ed Pastor Transit Center at Broadway.

nickw252
Oct 29, 2011, 9:01 PM
When the Wong family emigrated from China to Mesa and established a small grocery, they began a century-long tradition of family businesses at Main Street and Mesa Drive.

The former Sun Valley Market eventually became an auto parts shop, where Willie Wong worked even as he was elected Arizona’s first Asian-American mayor.

But Willie and his brother Wilky are facing an unwanted separation from what the family has owned since about 1910.

The property and neighboring lots have been identified as the site for a park-and-ride lot for a new segment of the Metro light-rail line.

East Valley Tribune (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/mesa/article_66d7af50-00f7-11e1-aa16-001cc4c002e0.html)

I wouldn't feel so bad about this situation if the land was being put to better use than a surface parking (Park & Ride) lot.

nickw252
Oct 29, 2011, 9:06 PM
The Valley’s struggling economy would no doubt get a boost if people spent more, but a coalition of local businesses is promoting a recovery plan that’s not so interested in how much consumers spend.

For Local First Arizona, a better economy involves where that money is spent.

The group has launched a campaign to change consumer habits by getting residents to shift 10 percent of their spending from national to local businesses. The change would keep more money in the economy and promote a better civic culture, Local First executive director Kimber Lanning said.

East Valley Tribune (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/money/article_29d84a78-f6c1-11e0-9810-001cc4c03286.html)

nickw252
Nov 5, 2011, 3:21 PM
Scottsdale's answer to real public transportation :koko:

Scottsdale's Hospitality Trolley will hit the streets Dec. 26 as city leaders attempt to woo tourists in town for college football bowl games.

The free trolley, which will stop at Scottsdale resorts, restaurants, entertainment venues and shopping centers, will run through Scottsdale's peak events season and end service March 31.

The Scottsdale City Council approved the trolley service 7-0 at its Tuesday meeting.

The Hospitality Trolley did a trial 90-day run starting in January, and it was considered a success despite failing to meet its passenger goals of averaging 12 boardings per hour. The overall average from Jan. 17 to April 17 was 11 boardings per hour, but the goal was reached during March.

AZ Central (http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/2011/11/04/20111104Scottsdale-hospitality-trolley-will-back-season-dec-26.html#ixzz1cqQe4SgW)

nickw252
Nov 5, 2011, 3:25 PM
Public transportation has long had strong support from voters and elected officials in Tempe, but now one of the city’s mayoral candidates wants to at least tap the brakes on a proposed streetcar.

Councilman Mark Mitchell is opposing building the 2.6-mile line in the near future because he said the city can’t afford its $3 million annual operations cost and he doubts the federal government will chip in its share.

“I support public transportation, especially light rail and the streetcar, but we’ve got to be fiscally responsible,” Mitchell said.

His opponents in the 2012 election, restaurateur Michael Monti and former councilwoman Linda Spears, are more supportive.

Tempe is moving toward building a $130 million streetcar on Mill Avenue from Rio Salado Parkway to Southern Avenue to improve downtown access. If approved, construction would begin in 2013 and it would likely open in 2016.

More at East Valley Tribune (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/tempe/article_5b211944-0674-11e1-b694-001cc4c03286.html)

exit2lef
Nov 8, 2011, 5:15 PM
Scottsdale's answer to real public transportation :koko:

AZ Central (http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/2011/11/04/20111104Scottsdale-hospitality-trolley-will-back-season-dec-26.html#ixzz1cqQe4SgW)

What's so frustrating about this route is that it overlaps heavily with the 72 bus. Resort guests, at least a few of them, take the trolley; resort workers take the bus. Both modes should be replaced with light rail.

Evil Empire
Nov 11, 2011, 5:28 AM
What's so frustrating about this route is that it overlaps heavily with the 72 bus. Resort guests, at least a few of them, take the trolley; resort workers take the bus. Both modes should be replaced with light rail.

Mixing guests and workers? How socialist of you.

Of course, that's sarcasm but I can see Scottsdale residents saying something like that, unfortunately.

nickw252
Nov 11, 2011, 5:32 PM
Light-rail ridership set a new record in October, the second month in a row Metro has reached higher levels. Metro tracked 1,258,711 boardings last month, an 8 percent increase over one year ago.
The record was set during a month of 55 special events within a half-mile of the line, with an estimated attendance of 603,500. October had a large number of conventions, the Arizona Diamondbacks reaching the playoffs and Arizona State University football games.

Metro averaged 45,867 daily weekday riders. The system also set a record for Saturday, with 36,725 daily riders.

EVT (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/article_77776dea-066b-11e1-985e-001cc4c03286.html)

TakeFive
Nov 14, 2011, 2:09 AM
EVT (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/article_77776dea-066b-11e1-985e-001cc4c03286.html)
Metro averaged 45,867 daily weekday riders. The system also set a record for Saturday, with 36,725 daily riders.

Even though it wasn't a typical month, those are some really strong numbers. :tup:

Leo the Dog
Nov 18, 2011, 4:32 PM
source: http://www.lvrj.com/news/las-vegas-phoenix-interstate-plan-moving-along-134007828.html

Las Vegas-Phoenix interstate plan moving along

BY STEVEN TETREAULT
STEPHENS WASHINGTON BUREAU
Posted: Nov. 16, 2011 | 6:28 p.m.
WASHINGTON -- Plans to upgrade the road between Las Vegas and Phoenix to interstate quality are getting a boost in a highway bill advancing in the U.S. Senate, officials said Wednesday.

A provision in the bill makes the route eligible for federal funding for improvements and new construction, according to the office of Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev.

Leaders of the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce have lobbied for designation of an Interstate 11 corridor, most recently this fall during their annual visit to Washington.

Las Vegas and Phoenix are the only two large U.S. cities not connected by a major highway.

Boosters say an interstate connector would improve commerce between them and eventually to destinations north and south as the corridor builds out from Mexico to Canada.

"This is the first step and a really important step," said Cara Roberts, senior director of communications for the Las Vegas chamber. "Needless to say we are very happy to see this designation as part of the transportation bill."

Senate officials said an Interstate 11 provision was inserted by Reid into a multi-year surface transportation bill approved Nov. 9 in the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

The full Senate may take it up in January.

"I have worked for years with a bipartisan coalition including the Republican senators from Arizona and the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce to make this interstate a reality," Reid said in a statement.

"As our economy continues to recover, connecting two of the largest cities in the Southwest will help grow our economy, create good paying jobs and boost tourism in our state," he said.

Nevada lawmakers 17 months ago unanimously approved a resolution calling on Congress and the Federal Highway Administration to designate U.S. 93 from the U.S.-Mexico border to Las Vegas and U.S. 95 from Las Vegas to the Canadian border as the future I-11.

Contact Stephens Washington Bureau Chief Steve Tetreault at stetreault@stephens media.com or 202-783-1760.

phxSUNSfan
Nov 18, 2011, 9:33 PM
Really, more freeways? When will people learn?

Replace that multi-billion dollar freeway with high-speed rail lines and increased freight rail lines. Let us stop subsidizing the Walmarts and make them invest a little in their unsustainable supply chain. No doubt, they are the biggest champions of this asphalt nightmare.

PhxER
Nov 18, 2011, 10:48 PM
Transit gets $4 million in federal grants

METRO will use its $2.7 million grant to build a solar shade canopy to cover stored light rail vehicles at the Operations and Maintenance Center. The canopy will cover an expanse of 142,000 square feet and provide crucial shading to light rail vehicles while also generating enough electricity to satisfy nearly 100 percent of the maintenance facility’s power needs. METRO will seek private sector support to develop the project.

Valley Metro is being awarded $1.3 million to retrofit as many as 70 buses with an innovative electric engine cooling fan system that is cost effective and lowers pollutant emissions. Energy savings are anticipated with a nine percent reduction in fuel consumption. The original idea for the cooling system is developed from military vehicles and now being applied to transit buses.

Read more here (http://www.valleymetro.org/pressreleases/detail/transit_receives_4_million_in_federal_grants_for_green_projects/)

TakeFive
Nov 18, 2011, 11:28 PM
Really, more freeways? When will people learn?

About the time that the cost of gas goes over $5 a gallon on its way to $6.
In this current "depression" crude oil, from a low of $76 per barrel at the end of September, has kicked up over $100 a barrel this week.

We can only imagine what it will do in a good economy?

nickw252
Nov 21, 2011, 2:02 AM
Does anyone know if the federal funds that have been earmarked for the Tempe Streetcar and Mesa LR Extension will be in jeopardy if the so called super-committee doesn't reach a debt deal?

nickw252
Nov 21, 2011, 2:16 AM
deleted

exit2lef
Nov 21, 2011, 5:24 AM
Does anyone know if the federal funds that have been earmarked for the Tempe Streetcar and Mesa LR Extension will be in jeopardy if the so called super-committee doesn't reach a debt deal?

The automatic cuts called for don't come into play until 2013, so they may be averted even if the not-so-super committee fails. Even if the super committee comes up with a plan, though, I wouldn't assume federal transit funding is secure. Even though transit projects are an extraordinarily small part of the federal budget, they may be easier and more appealing cuts than virtual untouchables like entitlements and defense. Plus, a lot of the same members of Congress who made the super committee necessary in order to raise the debt ceiling may also see public transport as "socialist."

exit2lef
Nov 22, 2011, 1:13 PM
Despite the pessimism in my post above, the Central Mesa extension just took another step forward:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/2011/11/21/20111121mesa-feds-grant-funds-light-rail.html

TakeFive
Nov 23, 2011, 6:19 AM
Does anyone know if the federal funds that have been earmarked for the Tempe Streetcar and Mesa LR Extension will be in jeopardy....

The automatic cuts called for don't come into play until 2013...

Even though transit projects are an extraordinarily small part of the federal budget, they may be easier and more appealing cuts than virtual untouchables like entitlements and defense.

The issue that some Republicans have latched on to is that Transportation funding no longer pays for itself, and hasn't for some time. Because the gas tax hasn't been raised since 1993,
inflation costs and needs now significantly outpace revenue.

But for the umpteenth time the Transportation Bill's expiration has been extended until March of next year. My guess is they again extend it beyond the election, at current funding levels.

While on the one hand it is an easier "target," on the other hand they all come from a state with acute funding needs. Some Republicans, unsurprising, have wanted to specifically cut transit funds,
but transit funding isn't that big a slice and most states want some minimum level of transit dollars as well. Hopefully they just again extend and pretend.

Despite the pessimism in my post above, the Central Mesa extension just took another step forward:
From the article it sounds like Mesa is working on and anticipates getting a FFGA done next year. The fact that it isn't a large project likely helps their chances. Denver managed to suck $1.5 billion
from the Feds for transit over the last couple of years. Surely a federal share of a $200 million project should be very doable.

TakeFive
Nov 23, 2011, 6:27 AM
Though I knew the crowd over at the Phoenix Business Journal would be different from the political crowd at the Arizona Republic, still I was a bit surprised at the results.

The Phoenix Business Journal ran the following poll. http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/poll/results/6746741

Their question was "Has the light rail system been good for the Valley?" and the responses ran two to one favorable.

HX_Guy
Nov 24, 2011, 4:56 AM
It's coming along. I still can't see stopping here to get dropped off instead of just driving up to the terminal curbside, but it'll be good for people using public transportation.

http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222011/1.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222011/2.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222011/3.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222011/4.jpg

Don B.
Nov 24, 2011, 6:02 AM
^ It's not that difficult. In fact, to save on Sky Harbor's hideous parking fees, when I fly, I take the light rail to the airport, walk across the street, and then hop on one of the free terminal buses.

--don

HX_Guy
Nov 24, 2011, 7:06 AM
I agree it's good vs parking at the airport...I was talking about if you get dropped off by someone at the airport.

N830MH
Nov 24, 2011, 8:07 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/2011/11/21/20111121mesa-feds-grant-funds-light-rail.html

Indeed...Very good news to hear. Let's hope Metro Light Rail will be so successful to start construction sometime in late-2012 or early 2013. You will find out soon enough.

If there is enough $200 millions dollar for Mesa central extension. Metro Light Rail are responsible to pay for the construction.

HooverDam
Nov 24, 2011, 1:26 PM
I agree it's good vs parking at the airport...I was talking about if you get dropped off by someone at the airport.

Once commuter/inter city rail is up and running in the next decade it'll connect to the 44th St Station and provide a good amount of people riding the SkyTrain into Sky Harbor I bet.

I think I said it before, but Sky Harbor should probably start charging a toll to drive through it, thus encouraging people to take the public transit. Nothing big, but $5 would likely be enough to keep excess cars out of the Airport and encourage people to use the SkyTrain.

Leo the Dog
Nov 24, 2011, 3:30 PM
Hoover,

I disagree. Sky Harbor isn't cash strapped, therefore, there is no reason to charge a toll to go to the airport.

The reason there are tolls leading to Logan Airport is because of the Callhan/Sumner Tunnels and the Ted Wiliams Tunnel (which is an extension of the Mass Pike - a toll road through all of Mass).

To get a toll anywhere in AZ would be a huge uphill battle. I would assume Sky Harbor is untouchable due to the amount of revenue it provides the city.

HooverDam
Nov 24, 2011, 3:53 PM
^Its not about being cash strapped its about:

1. Keeping the air port not congested as the Airport (and City) continue to grow.

2. Keeping as many cars off the road/driving as little as possible.

3. Steering as many people as possible towards public transit.

Right now people often use Sky Harbor as a shortcut to cut across the Valley going East/West (I know I have many times during rush hour) and as the airport gets busier, its probably best to discourage that.

Leo the Dog
Nov 24, 2011, 5:55 PM
I found an old article from AZ Central. http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/1020skyharborcars1020.html

They are looking at parking plazas or tollbooths, but they fear building those could cause backups on Valley roadways, particularly on the airport's eastern edge, at Arizona 143 and Arizona 153.

Looks like Sky Harbor considered a toll, but decided against it (probably in favor of the people mover). Building a toll in the name of easing congestion, would increase congestion and travel time.

...it's one of the only airports in the country that can be accessed by six different freeways or roadways.

Numerous toll plazas would have to be constructed to capture all vehicles entering the airport.

exit2lef
Nov 25, 2011, 1:33 PM
Once commuter/inter city rail is up and running in the next decade it'll connect to the 44th St Station and provide a good amount of people riding the SkyTrain into Sky Harbor I bet.

I think I said it before, but Sky Harbor should probably start charging a toll to drive through it, thus encouraging people to take the public transit. Nothing big, but $5 would likely be enough to keep excess cars out of the Airport and encourage people to use the SkyTrain.

Sky Harbor just had to back away from a plan to charge higher fees to shuttle services, taxis, and off-airport parking lots that drop off and pick up passengers at the Airport.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-news/2011/11/08/phoenix-stalls-fee-hike-for-sky-harbor-shuttles-taxis/

While I would like to see steps taken to decrease traffic at the Airport, it's a political challenge. I think the best strategy right now is to create alternatives that are better than driving vehicles all the way to the terminal. At this point, I know a lot of friends who prefer to use off-airport parking lots. They figure if they're going to have to take a bus the last mile to the terminal, they might as well save a few dollars by parking off-airport. When the SkyTrain opens, however, it will be so much faster and more enjoyable to ride than buses and vans that it may entice some passengers to switch to on-airport parking or light rail.

TakeFive
Nov 25, 2011, 9:19 PM
It's coming along. I still can't see stopping here to get dropped off instead of just driving up to the terminal curbside, but it'll be good for people using public transportation.

http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222011/1.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222011/2.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222011/3.jpg

http://nitnelav.com/DTNov222011/4.jpg
Thanks for the great shots HX_Guy.... which is why I thought they were worth another look.
(and you're right it's coming along nicely)

HX_Guy
Nov 25, 2011, 9:54 PM
Not bad for a cell phone camera huh? :)

PhxER
Nov 25, 2011, 10:26 PM
35.5 million granted to Mesa extension

At the same time Congress deadlocked on a deficit deal, Washington managed to approve millions to begin a 3.1-mile Metro light rail extension into downtown Mesa.

The $35.5 million allows Metro to begin the first stage of the project in late spring or early summer.

Transit officials had long been concerned the funding could dry up even with the Obama administration including the project in the federal budget. But
Congress eventually signed off, and Obama signed the bill this week.

The amount awarded was about 5 percent less than requested, but that's still enough to get started, said John Farry, Metro's government relations director.
"We were excited in these tough budgetary times that Congress and the president see the value of this project and have chosen to provide the funding level that will provide some jobs to the community and move the project forward," Farry said.

Mesa had some concerns the funding would get caught up in the larger national debate, said City Councilman Dennis Kavanaugh, who represents some of the area where the extension will be built. Kavanaugh and city transit officials said the potential for economic development and new housing along the line played a role in federal transit authorities giving it good reviews. Another factor was Metro's ridership has greatly exceeded projections.

"It's been vetted by everybody under the sun and gotten approval at all the stages that were so critical," Kavanaugh said.

Mesa has 0.9 miles of light rail now but the city hasn't seen any of the major new development that sprouted in some Tempe and Phoenix areas. But Kavanaugh said interest is growing around the city's sole light rail station and along the planned segment.

A developer has plans for hundreds of apartment units at the Sycamore station, a 40,000-square-foot clinic is moving to the area and other smaller projects are in the works, he said. Downtown, the transit line is helping the city with efforts to attract college campuses, he said.

Developers are much more interested in projects along Metro in Mesa than when light rail debuted in December 2008, he said.

"The completion of the original Mesa segment was behind the other areas in Phoenix and Tempe, which just happened to coincide with the collapse of the economy, which dried up funding for housing projects," Kavanaugh said. "The economy is trending much better than when the line opened. Our segment opened at the worst possible time."

The extension would continue the line on Main Street through downtown and end just east of Mesa Drive.

The federal funding is part of a $1.9 billion transit package. The Mesa segment request for $37.5 million was cut about 5 percent, along with most other applications. Metro expects the federal government will eventually fund $75 million of the $200 million project. The remainder could be in the Obama administration's budget that comes out in early 2012.

The next round of funding will allow Metro to build the track after utilities are moved. Mesa officials said they're confident the federal government will follow through despite political wrangling and increasing calls to cut spending.
The project is a high priority for the Federal Transit Administration, said Mike James, Mesa's transit administrator. The agency wants to use Mesa as an example of how transit can bring economic development through what it calls a New Starts transit program.

"I've heard in many circles that once you get into that funding stream for a New Starts project, the FTA has never turned that off," James said.
Kavanaugh added another reason why he expects the federal government will continue funding a project once it's already paid to start construction.
"It would be very difficult to find a reason for the administration or the Congress to reject it. It would be pretty embarrassing in a bipartisan way."

Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45438559/ns/local_news-phoenix_az/#.TtAU0XMVtew)

Leo the Dog
Nov 26, 2011, 3:44 AM

iPhone 4s 8 mega pixel??

HX_Guy
Nov 26, 2011, 4:10 AM
iPhone 4s 8 mega pixel??

Yep. :)

Leo the Dog
Nov 26, 2011, 4:24 AM
Yep. :)

Wow, appreciate the photos and they're super clear! I'm currently rolling with the ol' school 3gs, but soon gonna upgrade soon.

trigirdbers
Nov 26, 2011, 5:35 AM
So thats what it would look like if we had elevated rail!

N830MH
Nov 26, 2011, 6:16 AM

No, actually, he have a real digital camera.

nickw252
Nov 26, 2011, 6:43 PM
Public Transit Director Debbie Cotton will take over for Chan as head of the Phoenix Convention Center.

And Neal Young, who has been serving as assistant water services director, will become the new Public Transit director.

Anyone know anything about these people? What are their views on mass transit?

Link (http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2011/11/25/20111125stanton-24-member-panel-looks-like-phoenix.html#ixzz1eq2d9kTK)

exit2lef
Nov 26, 2011, 11:33 PM
Anyone know anything about these people? What are their views on mass transit?

Link (http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2011/11/25/20111125stanton-24-member-panel-looks-like-phoenix.html#ixzz1eq2d9kTK)

I don't know much about either person, but the fact that they are being moved in and out of jobs not related to transit is troubling. It tells me that the director of the public transit department is being chosen based on general managerial skills rather than specialized expertise in transit planning and operations. That shouldn't be happening.

Of course, it's also a reminder of a more fundamental problem: Phoenix and Tempe should not have their own transit departments. Instead, we need to unify our patchwork of separate agencies into one. The first step toward that was recently taken when a path was opened for Steve Banta, head of Metro Light Rail, to also become director (http://www.valleymetro.org/pressreleases/detail/rpta_board_moves_towards_single_ceo_for_transit_agencies/) of Valley Metro RPTA. If that goes forward, those two agencies take a step toward unification. The next step would be to absorb the Phoenix Public Transit Department and Tempe in Motion.

To anticipate one opposing argument, unification doesn't necessarily mean that cities and towns that don't pay their fair share get a free ride. Transit service levels could still be defined based on municipal contributions. Nevertheless, right now even cities like Phoenix and Tempe, both of which invest in transit, have parochial arrangements in which bus lines arbitrarily turn around at the border between the two communities. A single agency could put that silliness to a stop, along with a lot of needless duplication of administrative costs.

HooverDam
Nov 27, 2011, 1:17 AM
Having Susan Copeland of Downtown Voices as part of that team is a big deal. DVC is the Downtown group that over the years has often gone up against the City and been on the right side of issues like shade, historic preservation, fine grain development, etc. They sometimes are a bit silly in the way they go about things, but I think its a nice surprise to have her on that team.

One (very small) negative I would say about Susan is that during a Visioning meeting for Downtown in 2010 we were asked to talk about some of our favorite public spaces in the world while we were broken into small groups (I was in Susans). After listening them, I suggested it might be a good idea to list our least favorite public spaces as well and why they don't work. I mentioned Hance Park and its grass thats dead when the weather is nice in PHX. She defended letting Hance Parks grass be green in the brutal summer and dead and itchy in the beautiful winter. I always thought that was an astoundingly confusing position to take.

exit2lef
Nov 27, 2011, 4:30 AM
Having Susan Copeland of Downtown Voices as part of that team is a big deal. DVC is the Downtown group that over the years has often gone up against the City and been on the right side of issues like shade, historic preservation, fine grain development, etc. They sometimes are a bit silly in the way they go about things, but I think its a nice surprise to have her on that team.

One (very small) negative I would say about Susan is that during a Visioning meeting for Downtown in 2010 we were asked to talk about some of our favorite public spaces in the world while we were broken into small groups (I was in Susans). After listening them, I suggested it might be a good idea to list our least favorite public spaces as well and why they don't work. I mentioned Hance Park and its grass thats dead when the weather is nice in PHX. She defended letting Hance Parks grass be green in the brutal summer and dead and itchy in the beautiful winter. I always thought that was an astoundingly confusing position to take.

Yes, it's good that DVC is getting a seat at the table. I have several friends active in that organization, many of whom you probably know as well. I don't agree with every single position taken, but DVC provides a needed grass roots counterpoint to the big business / big project approach often favored by semi-official organizations like the Downtown Phoenix Partnership and the Phoenix Community Alliance.

PhxER
Dec 7, 2011, 4:12 AM
Mesa downtown light rail expansion to be finished a year early

Fortified by hot coffee and a $35 million federal grant, Metro Light Rail kicked off the next leg of construction Monday with a promise to open the downtown Mesa leg a year early.

Monday's event at the doorstep of the Mesa Arts Center served chiefly to unveil signs that will mark the 3-mile extension from Sycamore Street to east of Mesa Drive. Actual work in the form of utility relocation won't begin until spring.

But Steve Banta, CEO of Metro Light Rail, made news when he told the shivering crowd, "Our desire is to deliver the project a little bit early. We'd like to deliver it at the end of 2015."

That would be seven years after Mesa celebrated the opening of its busy Sycamore light-rail station on a December day that was even more blustery than the inhospitable weather that greeted Monday's crowd.

"We are here today to stake our claim on the extension of Mesa light rail down to the center city," Banta said.

The extension, he said, "is progressing very well" with local funding in hand and last month's congressional approval for about half of what the federal government is expected to kick in.

Banta said Metro continues to work with merchants along the extension to help their businesses survive construction. "We will work hand in hand with them to minimize that impact," he said.

Mike James, Mesa's transit director, said there will be traffic disruptions when crews begin infrastructure work along the line in a few months.

"There's going to be a lot of digging," James said, although in the early going, the immediate downtown area will not be greatly affected.

Read more here (http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/2011/12/05/20111205mesa-downtown-leg-light-rail-accelerated.html)

combusean
Dec 7, 2011, 6:56 AM
Utter bullshit.

http://www.valleymetro.org/images/uploads/lightrail_publications/Corridor-Extentions-NW.jpg

They delayed it by a year, then they're not, then saying they're opening it early. They're opening it on time. Damn bamboozling nimrods.

Don B.
Dec 7, 2011, 3:46 PM
^ LMAO.

Governmentium at work. The slowest, hardest substance known to mankind.

--don

Leo the Dog
Dec 7, 2011, 4:22 PM
I remember the huge opposition to LRT, particularly from the residents of Mesa, who had a hard time equated the cost of the system for only one stop within the city limits.

I now find it amazing that the City of Mesa will be the first to extend LR. Phoenix tried to "go it alone" on the NW extension and resulted in big delays due to financial issues, Mesa went the Federal route and amazingly this was the faster of the two!

Hard to believe that small, sleepy Main St. in the "town" of Mesa is going to soon have one of the biggest tools to be used to create a modern downtown.