PDA

View Full Version : Robson Square Renovations

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

officedweller
Oct 26, 2009, 10:45 PM
You can't easily install a passage to Pacific Centre because of the height of the truck / loading bay tunnel (servicing Pacific Centre and Robson Square)directly under Howe Street (from roughly Dunsmuir to just north of Nelson).

mr.x
Oct 26, 2009, 10:47 PM
Another thing added to my to-do list: getting rid of that massive BC ad.

Yes, I will take the credit for anything that happens to the bushes. :D

delboy
Oct 27, 2009, 1:06 AM
Must've been Mr. X. Great photos but "The Best Place On Earth" is really ugly and not necessary.

I find the best place on earth thing, very embarrassing.

SpongeG
Oct 27, 2009, 1:27 AM
it doesn't need life - its a nice quiet place to get away from people when you are downtown since hardly anyone knows about it

deasine
Oct 27, 2009, 2:21 AM
Just a depressing reminder of what we could've had:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i305/mattcav/North.jpg
Posted by Mr. X earlier.

Metro-One
Oct 27, 2009, 2:28 AM
So much better!

LeftCoaster
Oct 27, 2009, 2:48 AM
Still.... the hedges!!

Metro-One
Oct 27, 2009, 3:07 AM
Haha! Well, I guess those hedges were destined to be here forever! I still do not know why people were against this design, its wonderful!

trofirhen
Oct 27, 2009, 4:33 AM
Just a depressing reminder of what we could've had:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i305/mattcav/North.jpg
Posted by Mr. X earlier.

Haha! Well, I guess those hedges were destined to be here forever! I still do not know why people were against this design, its wonderful!

Part of the reason was that, at the time, anything designed by Arthur Erickson was held sacred. To bend and change his design would have been something almost worthy of being burned at the stake.

That being said, rather than bemoaning it (which is tempting, yes) why don't we put some positive energy into improving it.

There must be a way to hook it up to the Canada Line or Pacific Centre, for starters. That would breathe new life into it. Then we could light it up from down below. Lots of improvements are still possible: major ones.

mr.x
Oct 27, 2009, 4:53 AM
^ the media was on it quick, and put a huge negative spin on it...letting viewers know that it was a bad thing rather than letting them decide for themselves. I absolutely hate the media in this city.

I think I'll add another thing to my list:
- chop down bushes
- rid BC logo from ice rink
- get rid of new pagodas
- build the clam shell roof myself overnight

CBeats
Oct 27, 2009, 4:58 AM
That thing would have been awesome! Sucks...

trofirhen
Oct 27, 2009, 5:59 PM
^ the media was on it quick, and put a huge negative spin on it...letting viewers know that it was a bad thing rather than letting them decide for themselves. I absolutely hate the media in this city.

I think I'll add another thing to my list:
- chop down bushes
- rid BC logo from ice rink
- get rid of new pagodas
- build the clam shell roof myself overnight

That thing would have been awesome! Sucks...

OK, there are things you CAN have, and things you CAN't have, like the song says. However, rather than wailing and bemoaning it, why don't we try to work with what we DO have.

First off, there's a magnificent Art Gallery building shrouded in darkness, which could be lit up as an elegant jewel of light. It could be the visual centrepiece of the entire complex; "the jewel in the crown."

The pagodas should, and CAN come down, IF ENOUGH PEOPLE LOBBY AND SPEAK UP.

A connection to the Pacific Centre / Canada Line will bring in people, and keep the place humming.

The ugly BC Flag can go - that's technically an easy one; the hard part is convincing the no-taste bohunks who put it there to get rid of it.

Talk to the City Maintenance / Gardening department about the hedges. Maybe in fact they CAN be trimmed right back. (we'll work on the water sculptures later) ...

Lighting it up in the lower parts will make it less threatening, and might even bring the restaurants back. There might be a Sunday public market, chamber orchestras playing ... the possibilities go on.

No use crying over spilled milk. Believe it or not, lots of cities the size of Vancouver have next-to-nothing as a central square.

Ours is not perfect, but it's big, and combined with the steps, the waterfall, and the Art Gallery building, we have some good raw materials to work with.

Let's brainstorm and come up with ideas. ;)

duener
Oct 27, 2009, 11:28 PM
^^^yeah this area could use a public market. A german-style Christmas market with people selling locally made gifts and a little hut selling mulled wine would do wonders for the space. It would give people a reason to be there.

BCPhil
Oct 27, 2009, 11:37 PM
It would be a pretty amazing "lobby" for an access point to Skytrain. It would be nice to be able to get that far and right onto Robson without having to walk outside in the rain next to the boring Monolith that is Sears. We could start our own PATH system.

Stingray2004
Oct 27, 2009, 11:59 PM
^^^yeah this area could use a public market. A german-style Christmas market with people selling locally made gifts and a little hut selling mulled wine would do wonders for the space. It would give people a reason to be there.

IMHO, you hit the nail on the head. I've always thought about that. The Christmas markets in Dresden and Nuremburg are the crème de la crème .

One has to experience one in order to appreciate their significance. Huge Christmas trees, mulled wine, freshly baked gingerbread, hand-carved wooden toys, carolers, etc., etc.

If done right, would definitely be a magnet for people for the few weeks leading up to Christmas.

http://www.simplygroups.co.uk/images/Christmas%20Market.jpg

Source: simplygroups

trofirhen
Oct 28, 2009, 10:39 AM

It would be a pretty amazing "lobby" for an access point to Skytrain. It would be nice to be able to get that far and right onto Robson without having to walk outside in the rain next to the boring Monolith that is Sears. We could start our own PATH system.

IMHO, you hit the nail on the head. I've always thought about that. The Christmas markets in Dresden and Nuremburg are the crème de la crème .

One has to experience one in order to appreciate their significance. Huge Christmas trees, mulled wine, freshly baked gingerbread, hand-carved wooden toys, carolers, etc., etc.

If done right, would definitely be a magnet for people for the few weeks leading up to Christmas.

http://www.simplygroups.co.uk/images/Christmas%20Market.jpg

Source: simplygroups

Thank you all three for the positive responses ! ! Let's keep the momentum going !! Robson Square is going to rock, no matter what the doom-and-gloom sayers say !! Thanks again. :tup: :yes: :cheers:

duener
Oct 28, 2009, 7:33 PM
^^the carousel you see in that photo is something else I've wondered about. You see them around Paris and it gives families with small children something to stop and do. I really think the city should put one in Robson square or maybe somewhere along the water.

Millennium2002
Oct 29, 2009, 3:43 PM
ooo nice roof.

Maybe the only issue would be that come winter there'll be a lot of snow on that thing... and I dunno if the structure would be able to cope. The same could be mentioned about the current plaza roofs as well.

As people mentioned... we need passageways from the square to Pacific Centre or SkyTrain to make it more attractive. =)

metroXpress
Oct 29, 2009, 5:28 PM
Must've been Mr. X. Great photos but "The Best Place On Earth" is really ugly and not necessary.

They should've put this:

http://www.news1130.com/images/2009/09/VancouverGreenCapital_logo.jpg
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

trofirhen
Oct 29, 2009, 6:14 PM
They should've put this:

http://www.news1130.com/images/2009/09/VancouverGreenCapital_logo.jpg
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

nuh, yeah, .... and we still flush raw sewage into the River and the Bay .....
(Green Capital of the World) ha! ! ! :haha: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
Even our big ugly stepsister Seattle treats its sewage better than we do.
Anyway .... back to Robson Square, ladies and gentlemen please ...

SpongeG
Oct 29, 2009, 10:15 PM
^^the carousel you see in that photo is something else I've wondered about. You see them around Paris and it gives families with small children something to stop and do. I really think the city should put one in Robson square or maybe somewhere along the water.

don't mention caraousels or are those ok? i think its if you mention a ferris wheel perhaps... lol

CBeats
Oct 29, 2009, 10:24 PM
Even our big ugly stepsister Seattle...

Bahahaha :haha: :haha: :haha:

jlousa
Oct 30, 2009, 4:06 AM
Carousels are okay, only until they become the next fad and every city needs to have one though. Be innovative though, we already have waterfalls at Robson Square, lets build a few water slides, in the winter freeze them and rent mats to slide down them. Let other cities then copy us. :cheers:

duener
Oct 30, 2009, 5:20 PM
Well if anyone has some spare cash or wants to do a bottle drive, it looks like you can pick up a carousel for as little as $50K.

See here:
http://www.italintl.com/category.php?category=Carousels

Get it in time for the Olympics. Charge 50 cents a go and you'll be profitable in no time.

officedweller
Oct 30, 2009, 8:32 PM
Wasn't there a carousel and Vander Zalm's Fantasy Gardens castle on the Art Gallery lawn during Expo 86 - or am I imagining things?

trofirhen
Oct 30, 2009, 9:36 PM
I've mentioned it before, and I'm going to mention it again, as almost nobody seems to react: WHAT ABOUT LIGHTING UP THE VAG BUILDING ITSELF? This is a neo-classical heritage treasure that links in with Robson Square, yet sits in obscurity at night, especially the Georgia Street side. Where else in Vancouver downtown can you find Grecian columns and regal stone lions? And yet it just sits there, wasted ! ! ! ! For Shame.

SpongeG
Oct 30, 2009, 9:36 PM
well if caraousels make a city world class than burnaby as vancouver beat - since they have one

SpongeG
Oct 30, 2009, 9:37 PM
I've mentioned it before, and I'm going to mention it again, as almost nobody seems to react: WHAT ABOUT LIGHTING UP THE VAG BUILDING ITSELF? This is a neo-classical heritage treasure that links in with Robson Square, yet sits in obscurity at night, especially the Georgia Street side. Where else in Vancouver downtown can you find Grecian columns and regal stone lions? And yet it just sits there, wasted ! ! ! ! For Shame.

it is lit up isn't it? they have some godo lighting on it on the georgia side

Stingray2004
Oct 30, 2009, 10:55 PM
Wasn't there a carousel and Vander Zalm's Fantasy Gardens castle on the Art Gallery lawn during Expo 86 - or am I imagining things?

The carousel that you are referring to was originally constructed in the early 1900's, IIRC, and was painstakingly restored for Expo '86. It was one of those large monster carousels and was actually situate east of the BC Pavillion on the Expo '86 site. I'm sure that it would fetch a good buck today.

The replica castle was originally a gift from the Netherlands (IIRC) and was situate in front of the Four Seasons Hotel at the corner of Georgia/Howe. Vander Zalm later bought it for his Fantasy Gardens site.

EdinVan
Oct 30, 2009, 10:56 PM

Doesn't seem very "godo" at all to me. What they have is better than nothing, but it's still quite minimal. The entire area is really quite dead at night, especially since they refuse to repair burn-out signage (entrance signs, etc) and insist on turning off the water fountain. For such a prominent site, the ambiance is quite pathetic. The Art Gallery certainly won't be getting a membership renewal from me this year.

delboy
Oct 31, 2009, 12:15 AM

Yes it could be quite stunning. Imagine purples and greens ect - they could change the colours to match events etc.

officedweller
Oct 31, 2009, 12:43 AM

It has a bit of an odd lighting sceheme - the windows are lit up - not the columns or architecture - so it doesn't appear as prominent as it could. However, it did look very cool a couple of years ago when the windows were lit with strobes.

The carousel that you are referring to was originally constructed in the early 1900's, IIRC, and was painstakingly restored for Expo '86. It was one of those large monster carousels and was actually situate east of the BC Pavillion on the Expo '86 site. I'm sure that it would fetch a good buck today.

The replica castle was originally a gift from the Netherlands (IIRC) and was situate in front of the Four Seasons Hotel at the corner of Georgia/Howe. Vander Zalm later bought it for his Fantasy Gardens site.

Thanks! I've got a failing memory...

Prometheus
Oct 31, 2009, 11:11 AM
It is incomprehensible that the Vancouver Art Gallery is not properly lit up.

The play of light and shadow across its lion sentries and classical portico would be magical.

osirisboy
Oct 31, 2009, 2:18 PM
yup instead they keep it dark, shroud it in trees, and close all the main entrances so that bums can camp out on the steps 24/7. Ever since moving here I could never understand why the city/gallery seem to want to hide the building.

trofirhen
Oct 31, 2009, 3:15 PM
Yes it could be quite stunning. Imagine purples and greens ect - they could change the colours to match events etc.

The play of light and shadow across its lion sentries and classical portico would be magical.

yup instead they keep it dark, shroud it in trees, and close all the main entrances so that bums can camp out on the steps 24/7. Ever since moving here I could never understand why the city/gallery seem to want to hide the building.
:previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous:
If we approach Robson Square from a 'holistic' aspect, it becomes apparent how all these different elements - in this case the gallery exterior lighting - all become a cohesive part of the "package" that would draw people. It's really great that folks are using their imaginations and visualizing how magic-looking and regal it could be!

It would be rather like the "front door" to Robson Square with the square itself (and hopefully more accessibility, activities, restarants, etc etc) round the back. The object is to tie it all in together, and people are starting tho think that way, which is great. :yes: :yes: :yes:

s211
Oct 31, 2009, 4:37 PM

I'd love to light it up also, but the hacky-sack vampires that litter the property would surely have a right royal freakout that would cause the city to reverse course.

trofirhen
Oct 31, 2009, 4:52 PM
I'd love to light it up also, but the hacky-sack vampires that litter the property would surely have a right royal freakout that would cause the city to reverse course.

Think so? Perhaps, but please don't be negativistic about it. ASSUME that everything will turn out OK, and cross that bridge (if indeed it happens at all) when we come to it.

Negativism is what kills ideas, so please forget the "hacky-sack vampires" and push for the lighting up of the VAG ! ! Thank you ;)

seaJ
Nov 1, 2009, 1:22 AM
Even our big ugly stepsister Seattle

Funny, I always refer to Vancouver as our pretty and cultureless/souless stepsister.

CBeats
Nov 1, 2009, 1:36 AM
I'm honestly ok with that, it's better than the alternative! :D

delboy
Nov 1, 2009, 2:38 AM

Funny, I always refer to Vancouver as our pretty and cultureless/souless stepsister.

But at least its not in the US :tup:

trofirhen
Nov 1, 2009, 12:58 PM

You're obviously from Seattle, and I think you hit the nail on the head. !!

mcminsen
Nov 3, 2009, 11:48 AM
Robson Square Hedges | September 24th ‘09

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9551/robsonsqhedgesept2409p1.jpg
http://creativecommons.org/images/public/somerights20.png (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/ca/) Taken by SFUVancouver, September 24th, 2009

Robson Square hedges have had a little adjustment. I was walking by on Monday (Nov.2) and was pleasantly surprised to see them at about one third the size that you see in this photo. Good job mr.x! :)

MechMike
Nov 3, 2009, 4:22 PM
Robson Square hedges have had a little adjustment. I was walking by on Monday (Nov.2) and was pleasantly surprised to see them at about one third the size that you see in this photo. Good job mr.x! :)

*applauds* :D

mr.x
Nov 3, 2009, 4:27 PM
Thank you!!! It took a minute to do each side, was a chop and dash.

Vancity
Nov 3, 2009, 5:17 PM
^hahah

Yume-sama
Nov 3, 2009, 6:57 PM
Thank you!!! It took a minute to do each side, was a chop and dash.

:P Should have brought your orange vest and a hard hat. Nobody would have questioned it.

mr.x
Nov 3, 2009, 9:19 PM
Seriously guys, I did it. The deed was done during halloween.

:p

SpongeG
Nov 3, 2009, 9:37 PM
haha nice

officedweller
Nov 3, 2009, 10:03 PM

Cool! Now they just have to keep them that height!

mr.x
Nov 3, 2009, 11:33 PM
I'll be back, Halloween 2010!

CBeats
Nov 3, 2009, 11:36 PM
Seriously guys, I did it. The deed was done during halloween.

:p

Actually? That's hilarious! I will be checking said hedges this weekend.

trofirhen
Nov 3, 2009, 11:36 PM

Cool! Now they just have to keep them that height!

In fact, they are probably letting them grow right now to achieve a certain density. I have a hunch they will be trimmed right back into low, sculpted, square "hedges," the type one sees in formal gardens. These will simply put a "defining ring" around the glass skylights. I don't think they're designed to cut off the view and the sunlight.

(at least ... I don't think they are.... are they? ..... er, I hope I'm not wrong..... but then I could be, couldn't I .....ummmmm):koko: :jester:

mr.x
Nov 4, 2009, 12:11 AM
Actually? That's hilarious! I will be checking said hedges this weekend.

As serious as having a tunnel boring machine digging the Evergreen tunnel as we speak!:tup:

CBeats
Nov 4, 2009, 12:22 AM
As serious as having a tunnel boring machine digging the Evergreen tunnel as we speak!:tup:

In that case, if I check those hedges this weekend and see them the same height, or even taller than they were before...

then I've got a lot of pruning to do.

mr.x
Nov 4, 2009, 1:30 AM
Who's for salting the earth so that everything dies and nothing ever grows? :D

metroXpress
Nov 4, 2009, 1:32 AM
^ Ha, and what should we have instead?

nova9
Nov 4, 2009, 3:15 AM
Some photographic evidence. Taken by me (by iphone via twitter...sorry about the size, hehe)

http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/o6fc8.jpg

Stingray2004
Nov 4, 2009, 3:36 AM
Some photographic evidence.
http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/o6fc8.jpg

Too funny. I doubt that the purported 'cropping' was performed by a City of Vancouver arborist. BTW, has this pic been photo-shopped or is it the real McCoy?:D

nova9
Nov 4, 2009, 3:39 AM
Too funny. I doubt that the purported 'cropping' was performed by a City of Vancouver arborist. BTW, has this pic been photo-shopped or is it the real McCoy?:D

Real, it's from my iphone but the size is because it's a twitpic.

mr.x
Nov 4, 2009, 4:47 AM
are those even the same plants?

metroXpress
Nov 4, 2009, 5:16 AM
^ looks like they are

raggedy13
Nov 4, 2009, 5:38 AM
That's great that they've been shortened. I always see people trying to peak between the hedges (especially when there are events going on below). I was dreading the day when the hedges were fully-grown together and nobody would be able to look below even if they wanted to. Making the space below more visible can only help it.

Take the upcoming ice-rink for example. More people will be aware of it (once it opens) if they can just see it with their own eyes as they walk down the street. The more people that know about it, the more use it is likely to get.

mcminsen
Nov 4, 2009, 6:46 AM
I went by again this evening and the glass domes were glowing with the blue light and they were very easy to see. It looks great now.

Perhaps the original hedges had to have some time to get their roots established before they got the extreme haircut. In the meantime, we were having conniptions about how stupid the big ones looked... or maybe somebody at City Hall was actually reading this discussion thread? :)

trofirhen
Nov 4, 2009, 10:27 AM
Now that the shrubs have been cut back, and the domes lit up, people seem able to relax more about Robson Square, which is great.

As such, could we perhaps focus our attention on the larger, even more looming aspects of the square that need improvement, such as lighting up the lower level, and figuring out a way to connect it to the Pacific Centre / Skytrain system?

It is important to have a certain volume of people moving through and around the square. That way, we'll be able to push for real changes and interesting events: Christmas festivals, music recitals, restaurants (once again), and a whole new upbeat atmosphere that has died away slowly over the years.

And last but not least, WHAT ABOUT LIGHTING UP THE ART GALLERY BUILDING ITSELF? WE HAVE BEEN OVER THIS TIME AND TIME AGAIN. HAS ANYONE APPRAOCHED CITY HALL, THE GALLERY? OR THE BC.BC. ABOUT THIS?

JUST DO IT. PLEASE. (Thank you)

trofirhen
Nov 4, 2009, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=mcminsen;4539825]I went by again this evening and the glass domes were glowing with the blue light and they were very easy to see. It looks great now.QUOTE]

Any way you know of to get a picture of that? It sounds terrific, but I live too far away to go down and observe. Thanks. :)

EdinVan
Nov 4, 2009, 11:15 AM
And last but not least, WHAT ABOUT LIGHTING UP THE ART GALLERY BUILDING ITSELF? WE HAVE BEEN OVER THIS TIME AND TIME AGAIN. HAS ANYONE APPRAOCHED CITY HALL, THE GALLERY? OR THE BC.BC. ABOUT THIS?

JUST DO IT. PLEASE. (Thank you)

I have. Have you?

Hed Kandi
Nov 4, 2009, 6:47 PM
are those even the same plants?

No, they're palm trees.

SpongeG
Nov 4, 2009, 8:46 PM
when do they open the ice rink?

SpongeG
Nov 5, 2009, 1:08 AM
watching CTV - Zip Line coming to robson square for the olympics! and it will be free!

there is no confirmation from an official source other than CTV's report

raggedy13
Nov 5, 2009, 7:04 AM
^Thanks for the info. I'm curious to know where exactly it will be 'zipping' to and from.

SpongeG
Nov 5, 2009, 10:12 AM
they said it will end at chapters basically and go right across robson square - they seemed to show it from the court house

raggedy13
Nov 6, 2009, 5:32 AM
As per trofirhen's request, the domes at night (pics by me):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3513/4079816074_9936207da6_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2530/4079060395_aa8fb6ee1a_b.jpg

Some yoga going on?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2588/4079062121_39f5097c9e_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2773/4079798316_7a7d0b6b35_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2703/4079044293_c821e7ab86_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2602/4079046035_91f642ce79_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2708/4079806444_53e4534fd4_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2598/4079807708_09cefa69ef_b.jpg

officedweller
Nov 6, 2009, 5:42 AM
Cool! Nice short hedges.

trofirhen
Nov 6, 2009, 5:48 AM
What a difference that blue lighting makes. Cool, elegant, upbeat. For those who lament the wooden clamshell structure, hopefully this will inspire them to continue to push for more improvements to Robson Square to bring it back to life, and beyond!!
Thanks to Raggedy for the picures.

Yume-sama
Nov 6, 2009, 5:48 AM
That does look great. It will be a fun place to hang out this Winter.

SFUVancouver
Nov 6, 2009, 6:16 AM
Raggedy, thanks for the awesome photos.

I think it turned out great and thank goodness they super-pruned the hedges. I think that they will allow Robson Street passersby a good glimpse of the action down below.

deasine
Nov 6, 2009, 9:04 AM
The way the floor looks and the light strips, it reminds me of the Canada Line station designs. Love the photos Raggedy.

trofirhen
Nov 6, 2009, 3:49 PM
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
See what a difference lighting makes? ! ? ! It's transformative.

Now . . . imagine what we could do if they lit up the VAG exterior, especially the Georgia Street side, whith shades of light playing on the regal stone lions, beckoning people. . . .
. . . and increasing the lighting on the back of the VAF building adjacent Robson Square, making it a jewel of light.

It would be like a diamond in the centre of downtown Vancouver.

Get people moving through it with a Translink entrance, restaurants opening up, chamber orchestras, Christmas festivals, special events . . .

Who says Robson Square is lost cause? :rainbow: :hmmm:

trofirhen
Nov 7, 2009, 10:41 PM
Doesn't seem very "godo" at all to me. What they have is better than nothing, but it's still quite minimal. The entire area is really quite dead at night, especially since they refuse to repair burn-out signage (entrance signs, etc) and insist on turning off the water fountain. For such a prominent site, the ambiance is quite pathetic. The Art Gallery certainly won't be getting a membership renewal from me this year.

:previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous:

It's time to take action on this!! Don't know how, don't know where to go, who to approach, or what steps to take, but if enough of feel this way .... and it appears we do, then lamenting it serves nothing.

We have to start a petition, whatever, to get the gallery lit up in front !!!!

Any Ideas? :rainbow: :yinyang:

raggedy13
Nov 11, 2009, 6:33 AM
WHAT ABOUT LIGHTING UP THE ART GALLERY BUILDING ITSELF?

Here are a few pics of the north side of the VAG I took earlier tonight. There is some lighting, though they could do more with it, place it a bit more strategically... especially with the lions:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2617/4094893484_8af4fc6208_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2642/4094894826_dd5b9e8bec_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2515/4094899056_d885e10e2d_b.jpg

Vancity
Nov 11, 2009, 6:45 AM
^I agree. They should have lighted up the lions up :)

They're all in the dark.

Spork
Nov 11, 2009, 6:56 AM
Please crop Sears out of the photo next time.

raggedy13
Nov 11, 2009, 6:58 AM
^Haha, I would've but somebody specifically asked me to take one with Sears looming over the VAG.

Chikinlittle
Nov 11, 2009, 7:19 AM
Please crop Sears out of the photo next time.

lol :cheers:

Vancity
Nov 11, 2009, 8:39 AM
they really should clean the SEARS building up. it's looking pretty bad.

deasine
Nov 11, 2009, 8:53 AM
they really should clean the SEARS building up. it's looking pretty bad.

That's such an understatement. :yuck:

GeeCee
Nov 11, 2009, 11:05 AM
Hmm, I'm not quite sure but I think trof would like to see the art gallery lit up at night..?

Hell, at this point, I think we should just all grab pressure washers and go to town on the Sears building ourselves. Heck, we're already boring the Evergreen tunnel, what's a little bit of pressure washing?

delboy
Nov 11, 2009, 2:59 PM
Are they still planning to move the art gallery? Perhaps they are reluctant to improve things if they have a mindset that they won't be staying at the present location.

trofirhen
Nov 11, 2009, 5:14 PM
Here are a few pics of the north side of the VAG I took earlier tonight. There is some lighting, though they could do more with it, place it a bit more strategically... especially with the lions:

Yep ..... that was me. The Sears building DOES look disgusting, I admit, but perhaps we'd notice it less if the lions were lit up, and the front side of the building were given the royal treatment.

trofirhen
Nov 11, 2009, 5:25 PM

Yep ..... that was me. The Sears building DOES look disgusting, I admit, but perhaps we'd notice it less if the lions were lit up, and the front side of the building were given the royal treatment, which it deserves.

The whole thing looks like "DOOM AND GLOOM CITY", right now.

This a classic (literally and figuratively) example of the lack of taste and priorities that pervades Vancouver. This is our PRINCIPAL heritage building. NOTHING comes as close. And yet, there it sits, like the back side of a cheap motel!!

As for Sears (aarrghh) what can we do? If the VAG building were classier and brighter, people might put more pressure on them to clean that grimy mess up (and/or we might notice it less anyway)!!

Anyway, a big round of applause to Raggedy for this photo piece! :tup:

metroXpress
Nov 11, 2009, 6:06 PM
^ couldn't agree more...thanks for those lovely pics! They should light up the lions too!

red-paladin
Nov 11, 2009, 6:10 PM
Looks like Gotham City in the Tim Burton films

Trocadero
Nov 11, 2009, 6:16 PM
At a Robson Square open house I asked a planner if a post-VAG museum might use the front steps and entrance, like a proper museum. He said that it is too shady there, and Arthur Erickson determined that there would be HVAC problems for a gallery if the main atrium was open to street. Complete crap, since so many other institutions are built just the same, and Erickson is not renowned for his engineering skills. I'd like to see those doors open, and leave the back bunker for shipping and receiving.

officedweller
Nov 12, 2009, 1:57 AM

Having the windows lit up like that has as much appeal as looking at oncoming headlights.
It washes out or hides in shadow the columns and the architecture completely.
A more conventional lighting scheme would work much better for the building.

trofirhen
Nov 12, 2009, 4:53 AM
Having the windows lit up like that has as much appeal as looking at oncoming headlights.
It washes out or hides in shadow the columns and the architecture completely.
A more conventional lighting scheme would work much better for the building.

Absolutely! But how can we get them to change it? That's what I'd like to know.

Metro-One
Nov 12, 2009, 5:34 AM
Base lighting at the base of the pillars, casting coloured (or simple white) light up the length of the pillars would be nice. With some soft spot lighting (again, coloured or not) showcasing the lions would be fantastic.

Oh, and lets hire a helicopter or two to simply drop a big blanket over Sears if they plan on doing nothing, at least then we wont have to look at it. Honestly, with the entire world coming to town you would think a company as large as Sears would give at least a moments thought to their image. This is their Vancouver flagship location for crying out loud.

nova9
Nov 12, 2009, 6:10 AM
Not to venture off track but I think the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver next door also needs to be uplit.

trofirhen
Nov 12, 2009, 12:13 PM
Not to venture off track but I think the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver next door also needs to be uplit.

Yes, absolutely. Georgia Street is the "avenue d'état" of Vancouver, and needs to be given the elegant, aristocratic look it deserves, and that includes LIGHTING, LIGHTING, LIGHTING.

:yes:

trofirhen
Nov 12, 2009, 12:26 PM
Base lighting at the base of the pillars, casting coloured (or simple white) light up the length of the pillars would be nice. With some soft spot lighting (again, coloured or not) showcasing the lions would be fantastic.

Oh, and lets hire a helicopter or two to simply drop a big blanket over Sears if they plan on doing nothing, at least then we wont have to look at it. Honestly, with the entire world coming to town you would think a company as large as Sears would give at least a moments thought to their image. This is their Vancouver flagship location for crying out loud.
:previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous: :previous:
If enough people wrote to them, and/or a large petition was sent to the director's office, they might just do it. They want to keep their image up, too (hard to believe as that may be)!!

Does Buzz Golightly still work at Pacific Centre (I doubt it, as it was many years ago) but anyway, when the Pacific Centre Mall interior was all arborite, styrofoam and brown suburban bricks, I went to see him, told him how the mall fell short of a big city image and ambience, and a year later, it was transformed into green and white marble (well kind of, but a definitely classier look than what was there before)

If you approach management directly and sincerely, they often WILL listen, surprisingly. It's worth a try. ;)

David
Nov 12, 2009, 6:41 PM
How many petitions do you have on the go right now?