PDA

View Full Version : Robson Square Renovations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

jlousa
Oct 3, 2013, 8:56 PM
For those of you that are too busy to attend the remaining open house (I suspect most of you going by previous attendance) you can still have a say by taking the city's survey.

http://www.talkvancouver.com/northplaza

LeftCoaster
Oct 3, 2013, 9:08 PM
Also useful for those of us out of town. Thanks.

I am not blown away by any of them but i'm going to say of the three I love the ring, and not because i feel it is particularly attractive, but simply because it is different and wont blend in. I love vancouver's homogeneity, and am not advocating for every project to be different for the sake of it, but every once in a while something needs to break the mold and make people say look at that. I'm thinking this could be one of those sites.

jlousa
Oct 3, 2013, 9:14 PM
*pfft* Leftcoaster is turning into the new trofirhen. How long has it been since you've been back? :P

LeftCoaster
Oct 3, 2013, 9:31 PM
Haha ya i still remember the logging town of my youth, getting drunk with gassy jack and fighting moose. :P

I've been back a lot lately but it's always for work so overnighters. I've gotta get back for a week and do a proper tour, drive the new PMB, check out all the changes on marine in NV, maybe even find some time for a ssp meetup!

Klazu
Oct 4, 2013, 4:10 AM
Too much discussion happening here lately to keep up with all of it, so I am not sure if it has been mentioned before, but why only three proposals for the square? One would imagine there being at least 10 different proposals to wake discussion. Now none of the proposals really pleases oneself. :(

officedweller
Dec 3, 2013, 1:43 AM
Article from Vancouver Magazine on Robson Square and Arthur Erickson:

http://www.vanmag.com/News_and_Features/Back_To_Square_One?page=0%2C0

Erickson remains a long shadow in this room. In 1973, he designed the three city blocks that make up Robson Square-he hoped it would be our Trafalgar Square or Plaza Mayor but the complex never seemed to quite realize its potential. I remember speaking with Erickson on the subject a few years before his death, and he simply grumbled, "It's a failure-absolutely."

Robson Square was meant to be fuelled by a metro station beneath Hornby Street, but when that was botched, the underground area was left largely vacant. As Milkovich says, "I don't know that it was ever properly programmed the way other plazas around the world are." He points to photos from across North America, where civic plazas always have some beer garden or concert or outdoor dancing in the mix. Then he pulls out a black-and-white photo showing the north end of the VAG circa horse-and-buggy: the building is aflutter with flags on the occasion of a royal visit-the crowd spills over into the streets, and the space looks twice as large as it does today. "We only see this kind of activity at Robson Square now," he says, "on 4/20."

Milkovich's job, then, is a deeply personal one: to redeem the work of the father. The crumbling fountain at Georgia is being evaluated, since it dominates and obscures massive gatherings (and would be onerously expensive to repair); certainly greenery will remain a key element. Above all, Milkovich wants to keep things simple and open so that the square can do what it's meant to: serve as our greatest stage and place of assembly-a proper agora.

He's not going to do it alone. He's teamed with the Hapa Collaborative (a landscape design firm run by Joe Fry), Lance Berelowitz (of the Urban Forum Associates), and Matthew Soules, a young outside-the-box architect. The group, commissioned by the city, is working with a modest $3.2 million budget. Construction, which starts in July 2014 and will last up to eight months, was preceded by open houses in October where three potential designs were offered up to the public.

http://www.vanmag.com/News_and_Features/Back_To_Square_One?page=0%2C1

Hot Rod
Dec 3, 2013, 7:13 PM
Yeah, its too bad Robson sq. doesn't have a metro stop or that the city didn't push for it during Canada line construction or the rebuild of Eaton into Nordstrom etc.

Opportunity lost, but could it still be done?

officedweller
Dec 3, 2013, 7:31 PM
For a future Arbutus line, possibly under Hornby, but not under Howe because the truck tunnel is there (unless it is bored very deep).

Zassk
Dec 3, 2013, 7:55 PM
Sort of related (since I think it was built at the same time as Robson Square...??) but has anyone ever seen pictures of the Howe St truck tunnel during construction (or afterward, for that matter)? My Google skills failed to turn anything up.

trofirhen
Dec 3, 2013, 11:08 PM
Like a fish cooked on a grill, I have stopped flip-flopping.
In my last long post, I concluded by adding that none of the three
really does it for me.

Does the choice HAVE TO BE between the three designs presented?
I cannot really go for any of them.

If asked what I would put instead, I'd probably say a loose variation on the active edge version, with the plaza and sidewalk permeable, withe perhaps a recangular fountain (be it in a rocky bed, or otherwise designed) two places where the plaza and the sidewalk meet openly and easily, then perhaps another, smaller fountain at the corners and/or a small grove of trees like scotch pines or such (not deciduous; too bleak too much of the year), all of which would leave a lot of plaza space. If planted more trees is insisted upon, I'd limit it to something like the trees along the Hornby side of Robson Square; tight and disciplined rows, preferably not deciduous. Sculptured pines might do it. others will disagree on that, no doubt.

As for the plaza itself, I would remove the planting beneath the Art Gallery front windows and put in square reflecting pools that were rectangular, not protruding outward past the steps (let alone the lions) but sufficient to reflect light upon the building at night.

It would be important in my mind to illuminate the building, to honor its beauty and elegance, and this can be achieved largely through lighting,
(and a regular building scrub-up)

For the plaza itself, I think it's important not to clash with the building, and something like matching Robson Square paving stones, made of the same concrete would be as good as anything else. Perhaps even Bloor Street-style striping with another material might be elegant, as long as it goes well with the Art Gallery, (the roof of which is copper oxide green, opening the possibility of green granite elements or such - but that's up to the designers.

Regarding flowers and other planting, there could be a "node"(s) built for clumps of flowers and greenery, along the Howe and Hornby sides of the plaza. They'd be big enough to be noticeably pretty, small enough to leave
optimal plaza space.

The plaza should be somewhat polyvalent; suitable for large gatherings whatever the context, but also a place of mid-town repose, with the option of chairs, tables, and cappuccino bars on good afternoons (yeah. That, too.) People will want to take pix, especially when Nordström's reflective wall is installed. To relax and eat at lunch hour.

A place for everybody. Non-gimmicky, not overpowering in the design elements, but yet with a certain (I hope) "crispness" of design, and a place to appreciate the beauty of the centrepiece, and just to be.
In a way, perhaps just a little, the "Trafalgar Square" of Vancouver.
OK, fire when ready.

Klazu
Dec 11, 2013, 4:58 AM
Some Christmassy photos from last December. I really like the Robson Square and the roof of Law Courts. :yes:

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/robson_square_jouluvalot1.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/robson_square_jouluvalot2.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/robson_square_jouluvalot3.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/robson_square_jouluvalot4.jpg

Joat
Dec 11, 2013, 8:11 AM
Yeah its definitely one of my favourite spots in the city. Its even better that most people dont seem to know about (or appreciate) it.

Vin
Dec 11, 2013, 9:56 AM
The Christmas lighting at the law courts last year seems better than this year's.

idunno
Dec 11, 2013, 3:01 PM
What's that I see? Lights on at the Residences at Georgia? It's a Christmas miracle.

osirisboy
Dec 11, 2013, 3:12 PM
Lol that's true.... However, where is the light feature? Already been turned off? Lol pathetic

Klazu
Dec 11, 2013, 3:23 PM
The Christmas lighting at the law courts last year seems better than this year's.

Those lights are actually year-round and as far as I can tell, they haven't changed from last year.

Lol that's true.... However, where is the light feature? Already been turned off? Lol pathetic

Those photos are from last December. ;)

s211
Dec 11, 2013, 4:02 PM

It was on this morning. Lol pathetic, indeed. :rolleyes:

osirisboy
Dec 11, 2013, 5:24 PM

Oh wow I didn't realize people were living in there last December lol

Klazu
Dec 12, 2013, 1:51 AM
Oh wow I didn't realize people were living in there last December lol

Those were the good times when it was still under construction and there the lights were turned on for the workmen on many floors. Now that a handful of people people are actually living there, there are a lot less lights turned on in the evening. :(

Vin
Dec 13, 2013, 11:13 AM
Those lights are actually year-round and as far as I can tell, they haven't changed from last year.

Go take a look, you will notice that unlike your first pic taken last year, that stretch isn't lit this year. Even other parts don't seem as densely lit this year.

Klazu
Oct 26, 2014, 12:35 AM
There is a pretty nice terrace garden on the south side of the Law Courts that one doesn't normally notice from the street level. Photo from July.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/law_courts_katto5.jpg

EdinVan
Oct 27, 2014, 4:51 AM
Lovely photo. Such an amazing structure.

Hot Rod
Oct 29, 2014, 4:37 AM
waste of space imo. I would prefer a taller, smaller footprint. Then highrise the rest of the site.

VancouverOfTheFuture
Oct 29, 2014, 7:19 AM
waste of space imo. I would prefer a taller, smaller footprint. Then highrise the rest of the site.

that is what was originally planned. even taller then the Shangri-La. though they changed their minds and ended up with a high-rise placed on its side. you can take a look at this website and it mentions the 1966 proposal for a big building.
http://voony.wordpress.com/2012/10/24/blocks-51-61-71-or-the-provincial-courthouse-of-vancouver-a-short-history-part-1/
https://voony.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/vancouver-1966-the-ericksonmassey-proposal-for-block-61-and-the-downtown-core/

i have mixed feelings about it personally. it is a unique building, but like you said it is what, 2/3 blocks long and only 7 floors? it does take up a ton of street space while leaving a whole lot of emptiness in the heart of the city.

trofirhen
Oct 29, 2014, 10:21 AM

that is what was originally planned. even taller then the Shangri-La. though they changed their minds and ended up with a high-rise placed on its side. you can take a look at this website and it mentions the 1966 proposal for a big building.
http://voony.wordpress.com/2012/10/24/blocks-51-61-71-or-the-provincial-courthouse-of-vancouver-a-short-history-part-1/
https://voony.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/vancouver-1966-the-ericksonmassey-proposal-for-block-61-and-the-downtown-core/

i have mixed feelings about it personally. it is a unique building, but like you said it is what, 2/3 blocks long and only 7 floors? it does take up a ton of street space while leaving a whole lot of emptiness in the heart of the city.
Interesting that you both mention this, because, at the time, the purpose of Robson Square was to CREATE open space in the heart of the city.
It was then considered that a 55 storey building would be too tall and ugly, and that an open, accessible area with a lot of greenery was preferable.
Times change, and opinions and preferences certainly change with them.
It didn't really quite work out as planned, but was applauded in 1979 when it opened.

wrenegade
Oct 29, 2014, 7:48 PM
Personally I'd like to see the thing knocked down and re-done. The roof is cool, but the street feel is horrible. I'd move all the density to the Smithe-Nelson block and leave the Robson-Smith block free to create an actual Robson Square.

Jebby
Oct 29, 2014, 9:25 PM
Personally I'd like to see the thing knocked down and re-done. The roof is cool, but the street feel is horrible. I'd move all the density to the Smithe-Nelson block and leave the Robson-Smith block free to create an actual Robson Square.

Yes, at street level it is extremely cold, isolating, and uninviting. It's ok inside and quite pretty from above, though.

What I'd do is knock the Smithe-Robson part down, build a tower on the southern portion of that block and build a true plaza on the northern half of that block fronting onto Robson. I'd build it with a glass canopy so it can be used year round. Something like the canopy built at the AT&T Performing Arts Center in Dallas would be cool.

Too bad that will never happen. It was designed by Arthur Erickson and he's given elevated on a pedestal in Vancouver.

officedweller
Oct 29, 2014, 10:11 PM
I think it just suffers from the change in elevation - people just don't go up or down levels to use plazas.
(and no one uses a plaza if there's no activity there).

Remember:
- the sunken plaza at Georgia & Seymour in front of the White Spot? Not used.
- the rooftop plaza at Vancouver Centre on what is now London Drugs? Not used (and since closed off).

Even the raised park/plaza at the Pennyfarthing development at Fisherman's Wharf (next to Go Fish) is devoid of people
- but has some of the best views of downtown in the City.

If the sunken part of Robson Square was covered over to create an at-grade plaza (maybe creating a conference area below) you'd actually have a huge "Robson Square" straddling the street, and it would be a huge gathering place if programmed well.

No need to eliminate anything else or move buildings - that would create a large enough space and people would filt up the stramps to look down on concerts, etc.

You could even line it with food and retail kiosks.

s211
Oct 29, 2014, 11:05 PM
Too bad that will never happen. It was designed by Arthur Erickson and he's given elevated on a pedestal in Vancouver.

Overheard some great commentary the other day that went something along these lines:

In the heady days of the Trudeau Liberals in the 70s, Robert Campeau was the emperor's court developer and Erikson was the emperor's court architect. Today, in the heady days of Vision Vancouver, Westbank is the new Campeau, and Henriquez is the new Erikson.

djh
Oct 29, 2014, 11:28 PM
Overheard some great commentary the other day that went something along these lines:

In the heady days of the Trudeau Liberals in the 70s, Robert Campeau was the emperor's court developer and Erikson was the emperor's court architect. Today, in the heady days of Vision Vancouver, Westbank is the new Campeau, and Henriquez is the new Erikson.

Out of interest, what was the context where you heard that statement?

trofirhen
Oct 29, 2014, 11:42 PM
I half-agree with you; For me the Hornby side street-feel is ok, even maybe pleasant, ..... but the Howe Street side makes me think of an atomic bomb shelter.

Klazu
Oct 30, 2014, 12:08 AM
Is the glass roof original or was it added later?

officedweller
Oct 30, 2014, 12:14 AM
Original - from the days when "space frames" were in.

i.e.
Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome at Expo 67 in Montreal
Various 1970s sci-fi movies
Guildford Shopping Centre
former Plaza of Nations roof

Klazu
Oct 30, 2014, 1:30 AM
Damn that has looked very modern at that time, I bet! The glass roof very new even today!

If the sunken part of Robson Square was covered over to create an at-grade plaza (maybe creating a conference area below) you'd actually have a huge "Robson Square" straddling the street, and it would be a huge gathering place if programmed well.

No need to eliminate anything else or move buildings - that would create a large enough space and people would filt up the stramps to look down on concerts, etc.

You could even line it with food and retail kiosks.

I am with you if something needs to be changed. Even the current setup with all those rooftop gardens is fantastic (really, try it next summer!), but people are not finding it. Having a small square that would be at-grade would indeed serve Robson street life better at that corner than the current structure.

Demolishing this building would be a mistake and what would one added skyscraper bring to the city? Nothing. There are several places where tall skyscrapers could be built and it's just a matter of getting rid of one or two viewcones.

People complaining about the current building being only 7 floors should check out the streetscape along Howe Street. Yes, it is rather dead on that side, but the building is massive and certainly in the range of 12 floors. Together with 980 Howe they form a very urban corridor between Smithe and Nelson.

I cannot help it, but I like the Law Courts very much and I wish more people would discover it. There is nothing more nice than strolling the urban roof garden on a warm summer day.

VancouverOfTheFuture
Oct 30, 2014, 3:00 AM
whatever happened to the original threads purpose? i don't remember a big glass cover built for the Olympics. but that was a long time ago now. also, anyone have any renders of it? i didn't find any going back through the thread.

i personally have mixed feelings about the Law Courts building. it certainly is unique and doesn't look too bad at all. it needs a bit of a power wash and some landscaping work. i wish they always had the fountains on though. they make the building look a ton nicer.

s211
Oct 30, 2014, 4:19 AM
Out of interest, what was the context where you heard that statement?

Going from memory, I think the context was Westbank's apparent coziness with Vision, and what one person perceived as Westbank having an inside track with Vision and the bureaucracy.

officedweller
Oct 30, 2014, 9:57 PM
whatever happened to the original threads purpose?

This thread was for the Georgia St. side.

Hot Rod
Nov 8, 2014, 6:31 AM
Yes, at street level it is extremely cold, isolating, and uninviting. It's ok inside and quite pretty from above, though.

What I'd do is knock the Smithe-Robson part down, build a tower on the southern portion of that block and build a true plaza on the northern half of that block fronting onto Robson. I'd build it with a glass canopy so it can be used year round. Something like the canopy built at the AT&T Performing Arts Center in Dallas would be cool.

I could not agree with you more.

We need to drop this small time stuff and let some towers go big. Shangri La isn't that tall and the world didn't come to an end with a 660 foot tower. I think Vancouver should shoot for 800-900 feet and maybe a 1000 footer on the waterfront, it wont block the mountains or cast a shadow or whatever other excuse. 1000 is not too much altitude from 660 but the skyline and density prospective (and skyline feel) would be HUGE. After all, this is downtown!

go big or go home.

trofirhen
Nov 8, 2014, 7:41 AM
Is the glass roof original or was it added later?
The sloping glass roof was part of the original design. On the Hornby side, it's rather interesting and nice. It's the Howe Street side of the project that
I have the problem with. (dunno what was in Erickson's mind when he did that)!!!!

Vanelevatorman
Nov 13, 2014, 12:09 AM

We need to drop this small time stuff and let some towers go big. Shangri La isn't that tall and the world didn't come to an end with a 660 foot tower. I think Vancouver should shoot for 800-900 feet and maybe a 1000 footer on the waterfront, it wont block the mountains or cast a shadow or whatever other excuse. 1000 is not too much altitude from 660 but the skyline and density prospective (and skyline feel) would be HUGE. After all, this is downtown!

go big or go home.

This +1 :tup:

trofirhen
Nov 13, 2014, 1:04 AM

go big or go home.
I think Burrard & Georgia is the ideal spot for The Great Skyscraper.
Right at the heart of downtown, at the corner of Vancouver's two ceremonial streets.

Joat
Dec 6, 2014, 3:47 AM
Any idea when we're gonna see the final design of the north plaza?

trofirhen
Dec 6, 2014, 10:51 AM
Any idea when we're gonna see the final design of the north plaza?
By the "north plaza," are you referring to the top end of Robson Square, where Robson cuts through it, Or the Georgia Street side plaza?
I'd like to see the sunken area of Robson Square brought up to grade, as long as it doesn't mean chopping back the waterfalls.

As for Georgia St plaza, I'd simply like to remove that "Disneyland" fountain, repave it in keeping with the rest of Robson Square, light up the front of the VAG,
(esp the regal lions), plant evergreens (like Scottish pines and rhodendrons, to prevent that bleak look in winter), and ditch those other three design proposals.

Klazu
Dec 6, 2014, 3:17 PM
I think it is pretty obvious that he means the Georgia Street side, as that is the only one under nay kind of re-planning. The question is good though and I was wondering about the same recently.

scrapin
Dec 6, 2014, 10:40 PM

go big or go home.

Vancouver is not Toronto, heck its not even Calgary, accept Vancouver for what it is, it is not a skyscraper metropolis for better or for worse. A nice 750 footer is the reality of what might be built.

trofirhen
Dec 7, 2014, 1:16 AM
Vancouver is not Toronto, heck its not even Calgary, accept Vancouver for what it is, it is not a skyscraper metropolis for better or for worse. A nice 750 footer is the reality of what might be built.
Thank you! total agreement here, point by point:tup:

Vanelevatorman
Dec 7, 2014, 2:29 AM
Taller is better! It would be nice to have a few 750ft+ towers in Vancouver....Maybe in 50 years we will get a 1000ft tower.

Klazu
Mar 3, 2015, 3:30 AM
1vS3kQP5_yI

osirisboy
Jun 15, 2015, 6:45 PM
All the water falls are on!!!! I couldn't believe it. It looked awesome. I don't think I've ever seen them on. Lots of people taking pics of them too. Sorry if this is old news. But it was a surprise to see

VancouverOfTheFuture
Jun 15, 2015, 8:06 PM
All the water falls are on!!!! I couldn't believe it. It looked awesome. I don't think I've ever seen them on. Lots of people taking pics of them too. Sorry if this is old news. But it was a surprise to see

i noticed that to. a few weeks ago i noticed they were on. they look and sound so nice to. makes the area a lot nicer.

Klazu
Jun 15, 2015, 9:25 PM
They have them on for few weeks every summer, but I don't think they keep them running all day. They do indeed look nice and the sound of falling water is nice. They also attract more people to Law Courts roof when they are on to enjoy the nice garden up there.

osirisboy
Jun 15, 2015, 10:39 PM
They have them on for a few weeks every summer? Haha ok wtf? Why just a few weeks? That's ridiculous. This is such a pet peeve of mine. Buildings that build water features and then turn around and not use them. I'd rather them just not build anything!! (Same thing goes for light features)

mcminsen
Jun 17, 2015, 3:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I went through Robson Square today and it's really great to see the waterfalls all on and going full blast. The sights and sounds of cascading water transforms the area and makes it a much more pleasant place to spend some time in. I was watching some families with little ones and the parents were kept busy trying to keep the kids from getting into the water. They are naturally drawn to it like magic and stared awestruck at the falling water.

And I was just one of several photographers trying to get some good images. Young couples in love like to sit together around there and one couple was really getting into it so I had to shoot around them. :D

June 16 '15, my pics
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/912/U4jokH.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pcU4jokHj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/913/zchn1p.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pdzchn1pj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/910/zzOSDU.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pazzOSDUj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/673/w85X7e.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipw85X7ej)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/673/ifnxE3.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipifnxE3j)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/661/T19PMz.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/idT19PMzj)

csbvan
Jun 17, 2015, 3:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I went through Robson Square today and it's really great to see the waterfalls all on and going full blast. The sights and sounds of cascading water transforms the area and makes it a much more pleasant place to spend some time in. I was watching some families with little ones and the parents were kept busy trying to keep the kids from getting into the water. They are naturally drawn to it like magic and stared awestruck at the falling water.

And I was just one of several photographers trying to get some good images. Young couples in love like to sit together around there and one couple was really getting into it so I had to shoot around them. :D

June 16 '15, my pics

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/910/zzOSDU.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pazzOSDUj)

This has always been one of my favourite views of the city. The old, the new, and the courtyard in between. Several Vancouver landmarks are included as well which really heightens its sense of place.

EdinVan
Jun 18, 2015, 9:26 AM
Was walking around there tonight at 2am and, to my delight, the fountains were still on. They looked really nice with the lights behind them. A few years ago they were left on all the time, but then that changed for some reason. The area looks much, much better with the water running; when it's off, it's like a dead zone.

trofirhen
Jun 18, 2015, 10:31 AM
I think water features, such as the ones here, and elsewhere, really contribute to making a city feel great.
Take Kansas City. More fountains than any other city beside Rome -- smack in the middle of the continental USA, icy winters and all!
Despite our rain, I would like to see more water features in Vancouver. Robson Square is a great place to start !! ;)

osirisboy
Jun 18, 2015, 2:41 PM
Thanks mcminson for the great pics!

Klazu
Jun 18, 2015, 5:55 PM
Despite our rain, I would like to see more water features in Vancouver. Robson Square is a great place to start !! ;)

Vancouver already does public water features very extensively and very well. I am not sure when you have last time walked around Coal Harbour or Yaletown, but they are everywhere and they are very nice. We have them even in the suburbs, like River Green in Richmond.

There can always be more (and there will be), but certainly Vancouver is showing other cities examples on water features rather than the other way around.

Take Kansas City. More fountains than any other city beside Rome -- smack in the middle of the continental USA, icy winters and all!

Hmmm, I have never been to KC. Any examples of their fountains (I am too lazy to search myself). Thanks.

trofirhen
Jun 18, 2015, 6:39 PM
http://www.google.fr/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/kcur/files/201503/fountain.jpg&sa=X&ei=gw6DVbLOKcK4UZLjp4AP&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH870v-xzU_61xQvbt6o6WFjyFAzQ
http://www.google.fr/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/kcur/files/201503/fountain.jpg&sa=X&ei=gw6DVbLOKcK4UZLjp4AP&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH870v-xzU_61xQvbt6o6WFjyFAzQ

http://www.google.fr/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://kcfountains.com/_img/home/home-northlandKC.jpg&sa=X&ei=ig-DVb7bGor-UuDJgbAG&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNF9ivx6iZ5pfZACkZMRAochAVEMqA
http://www.google.fr/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://kcfountains.com/_img/home/home-northlandKC.jpg&sa=X&ei=ig-DVb7bGor-UuDJgbAG&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNF9ivx6iZ5pfZACkZMRAochAVEMqA

http://www.google.fr/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/general-u-s/64822d1278051684-city-nicknames-kansas-city-fountain.jpg&sa=X&ei=vg-DVZjiDcbyUu7NgNgK&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGKJhJZ5DksOVIoAzlHyIGAFUHQQA
http://www.google.fr/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/general-u-s/64822d1278051684-city-nicknames-kansas-city-fountain.jpg&sa=X&ei=vg-DVZjiDcbyUu7NgNgK&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGKJhJZ5DksOVIoAzlHyIGAFUHQQA

http://www.google.fr/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://www.kcmasonrybuilders.com/Fountain_cropped_for_360_web.JPG&sa=X&ei=CRCDVaL_BYv1UvPygLgD&ved=0CAkQ8wc4KA&usg=AFQjCNEl2PeQ6NuwXn5d-9fUMpC-j2aB5Q
http://www.google.fr/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://www.kcmasonrybuilders.com/Fountain_cropped_for_360_web.JPG&sa=X&ei=CRCDVaL_BYv1UvPygLgD&ved=0CAkQ8wc4KA&usg=AFQjCNEl2PeQ6NuwXn5d-9fUMpC-j2aB5Q

http://www.google.fr/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://bookroom.nextmp.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/800px-crowncenterfountain.jpg&sa=X&ei=qBCDVbayMcX4UpSMg-gM&ved=0CAkQ8wc4KA&usg=AFQjCNFynlohhGyklwwDsxXzAOGETvf3Rg
http://www.google.fr/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://bookroom.nextmp.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/800px-crowncenterfountain.jpg&sa=X&ei=qBCDVbayMcX4UpSMg-gM&ved=0CAkQ8wc4KA&usg=AFQjCNFynlohhGyklwwDsxXzAOGETvf3Rg

Klazu
Jun 18, 2015, 6:45 PM
Thanks, those do look great indeed. I wonder what season it is in below photo, with flowers and green grass, yet the fountain is frozen?? :sly:

s211
Jun 18, 2015, 7:14 PM
Great. Now I have to go #1.

Delirium
Jun 20, 2015, 3:30 PM
the fountains make such a big difference. it really adds to the lushness of the area. love it
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/403/18900673992_22f832d396_b.jpg
Photo by CanadaGood https://www.flickr.com/photos/canadagood/18900673992/sizes/l/

Klazu
Jul 8, 2015, 12:41 AM
Someone please tell me that the colorful porch installation on Robson Street is still under construction? It looks like shit.

Chikinlittle
Jul 8, 2015, 1:18 AM
Anyone else notice the other hanging ring, now proposed for the Davie/Bute intersection as part of that Bute Street plaza? Is the same consulting firm providing the same options for different parts of the city?

A disco ball was originally proposed above the intersection, and boo-hoo'd at the community hearing.

officedweller
Jul 8, 2015, 1:34 AM
Someone please tell me that the colorful porch installation on Robson Street is still under construction? It looks like shit.

Nope - think it's all complete.

trofirhen
Jul 8, 2015, 6:27 AM
It seems those pagoda structures are still around. Is that on purpose, a cost-cutting measure, or just oversight?

Klazu
Jul 8, 2015, 2:16 PM

Well, that was a huge miss step then. I wonder how much that cost to put together? Didn't the previous ones cost few hundred thousands? This looks like something a school class would have put together for free. Embarrassingly amateurish.

mcminsen
Jul 8, 2015, 9:26 PM

Well, that was a huge miss step then. I wonder how much that cost to put together? Didn't the previous ones cost few hundred thousands? This looks like something a school class would have put together for free. Embarrassingly amateurish.

I don't think it's quite done yet. There were a couple of places where it looked like they might be putting in some plants or something. Here are some pics I took today. For more pics, go here (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=7088878#post7088878).

July 8 '15, my pics
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/661/cwsTrO.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/idcwsTrOj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/673/LqiDhZ.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipLqiDhZj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/661/O50JPS.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/idO50JPSj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/633/n6xCkA.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/hln6xCkAj)

osirisboy
Jul 8, 2015, 9:35 PM
Christ

Klazu
Jul 8, 2015, 9:36 PM
Thanks, mcminsen. I was actually hoping my comment to prompt you to take photos for us and behold! :D

I guess it is supposed to be "funny" or "funky" or something. I just find it a disgrace.

subdude
Jul 9, 2015, 2:51 AM
http://nssystems.ca/imgs/what-the-f.jpg

(Apologies to mcminsen)

mcminsen
Jul 9, 2015, 3:05 AM
(Apologies to mcminsen)

Lol... Okay, that is too funny to not post in the Canada forum. :D

Bcasey25raptor
Jul 9, 2015, 5:21 AM
I don't know. I'm not a fan of the colours but the idea seems cool to me.

At least they are trying.

EdinVan
Jul 9, 2015, 5:37 AM
I don't know. I'm not a fan of the colours but the idea seems cool to me.

At least they are trying.

What is the idea? To give people a place to sit and talk? Isn't that what Robson Square was designed for? Why do we need to shut down traffic for this?

What's amazing is that Nordstrom helped sponsor this. How can such a classy company sponsor something so tacky? But then again, they don't seem embarrassed about their new home at 725 Granville...

memememe76
Jul 9, 2015, 3:05 PM
Isn't the idea to make Downtown more pedestrian-focused during the summer months? The City uses Granville for things like festivals, arts, dancing, craft fairs, etc. They use that stretch of Robson just so folks can hang out. Every year, people moan the exhibits (i.e., the yellow bean bags), but they seem to be well used.

trofirhen
Jul 9, 2015, 5:09 PM
Isn't the idea to make Downtown more pedestrian-focused during the summer months? The City uses Granville for things like festivals, arts, dancing, craft fairs, etc. They use that stretch of Robson just so folks can hang out. Every year, people moan the exhibits (i.e., the yellow bean bags), but they seem to be well used.
:)Agreed. I think you're onto the right idea. Also, they'll have to try out different gimmicks to find the one that works best

Vin
Jul 9, 2015, 7:23 PM

Shutting down that block of Robson Street is simply non-sensical, especially since the City isn't particularly good at keeping the facilities there clean all the time. It's usually filthy especially at night and on the weekends, with discarded food scraps and containers, spills, etc. To sum up, I don't think the City wants to clean up properly after inviting people over.

The move also messes up Robson's public transportation system. It's not seamless when people from skytrain have to walk multiple blocks to catch the Robson No. 5 bus. The large squares around Robson Square and Art Gallery ought to be enough for people to hang out. The City can build interesting structures there year round.

VancouverOfTheFuture
Jul 9, 2015, 11:41 PM
i think that block of Robson should stay open simply because of the trolley lines. those are pretty important if we really want to be a green city, we cant be forcing transit to use more gas buses. that isn't green. plus what Vin said, the Law Courts have a freaking garden all around/over them with larges amounts of water/waterfalls. and if they put grass in front of the Art Gallery, well there's a nice place to hang out with the fountain on to drown out vehicle noises. but the city would rather it look post apocalyptic.

Vamo
Jul 13, 2015, 12:17 AM
I like a lot the idea of closing this block 3 months a year and put different pink-wood-houses-with-patio-furniture for everyone to enjoy, stop on this block and enjoy a coffee outside, very european feel, take pictures and tag vancouver as a cool & fun city.
But unfortunately when I walked by yesterday it was all fully "occupied" by homeless and such, using shopping carts to cook stuff lol. That's kinda sad, people were walking on the sidewalks to avoid these kind of encounters.

SpongeG
Jul 13, 2015, 6:34 AM
they are trying too hard, i like what new york does, just simple bistro tables, a few umbrellas

a place to sit is all people need or want, they don't need to interact with the structure

mcminsen
Jul 13, 2015, 11:59 PM
I like a lot the idea of closing this block 3 months a year and put different pink-wood-houses-with-patio-furniture for everyone to enjoy, stop on this block and enjoy a coffee outside, very european feel, take pictures and tag vancouver as a cool & fun city.
But unfortunately when I walked by yesterday it was all fully "occupied" by homeless and such, using shopping carts to cook stuff lol. That's kinda sad, people were walking on the sidewalks to avoid these kind of encounters.

Here's how it looked today. Clean, orderly, about 15 people seated and a few chairs open.

July 13 '15, my pics
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/907/jpAQCf.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p7jpAQCfj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/538/lQ4sJ1.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/eylQ4sJ1j)

cairnstone
Jul 14, 2015, 2:32 AM
I dont care what they do for the stretch on robson between howe and hornby. What pisses me off is that they dont change the pedistran traffic on hornby. If you get a passive driver they will wait 5 lights to turn left. I service builds in the area and it drives me crazy. Robson street only can turn left so why keep that crossing open. Vancouver does not care about people in cars and then you only get a quick right on hornby to georgia as the bike lanes get prority

Thanks for my Monday night rant

mcminsen
Jul 14, 2015, 6:29 AM
The north plaza has been fenced off for at least a few days now. Here are some pics from today.

July 13 '15, my pics
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/633/1HYaRU.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/hl1HYaRUj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/910/L22h6C.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/paL22h6Cj)

Three landmarks under wraps or behind fencing. Art Gallery, Hotel Vancouver and Christchurch Cathedral.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/540/btHnmI.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0btHnmIj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/907/54uNLy.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p754uNLyj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/910/4Enp3L.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pa4Enp3Lj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/538/v1Q91X.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/eyv1Q91Xj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/912/e5xryA.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pce5xryAj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/633/eOjWCs.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/hleOjWCsj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/538/f77lhi.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/eyf77lhij)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/901/rIHkEu.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p1rIHkEuj)

mcminsen
Jul 21, 2015, 4:52 AM
July 20 '15, my pics
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/901/Jjq5tw.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p1Jjq5twj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/912/vtJDcD.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pcvtJDcDj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/908/lAfICl.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p8lAfIClj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/537/H4zLQx.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/exH4zLQxj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/673/1GIdG4.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ip1GIdG4j)

csbvan
Jul 21, 2015, 4:56 AM
Are they just replacing the mulch or are the actually doing the planned reno?

mcminsen
Jul 21, 2015, 5:30 AM
Are they just replacing the mulch or are the actually doing the planned reno?

:shrug:

It looks like more than a mulch replacement.

One thing I think would be neat is when they remove the fountain if they could save some remnants of the mosaic and inlay them into the new plaza in the same place and outline that the fountain was. That way when people visit the new plaza they will be able to see where the fountain was for so many years.

July 20 '15, my pics
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/538/JkH7fL.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/eyJkH7fLj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/661/iuUQLw.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/idiuUQLwj)...http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/673/V2gj39.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipV2gj39j)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/538/5DDFbb.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ey5DDFbbj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/661/57Q5RK.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/id57Q5RKj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/537/KffF6E.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/exKffF6Ej)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/540/GElJsX.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0GElJsXj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/540/zVlprg.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0zVlprgj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/673/FS3TkW.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipFS3TkWj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/538/UfS5c9.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/eyUfS5c9j)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/540/QXI7jF.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0QXI7jFj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/673/cYF0Vw.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipcYF0Vwj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/673/PVp1rt.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipPVp1rtj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/540/JjaC2Z.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0JjaC2Zj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/538/XtQ9e0.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/eyXtQ9e0j)

mcminsen
Jul 21, 2015, 6:11 AM
Speaking of fountains, I noticed various fountains on Burrard Street have been turned off. And of course the Robson Square fountains are now quiet. With the way things are going weather-wise, we might not see them turned on again for quite a while. :(

July 20 '15, my pics
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/538/fXfVY5.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/eyfXfVY5j)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/537/cLBiCR.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/excLBiCRj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/901/jyPOVe.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p1jyPOVej)

GeeCee
Jul 21, 2015, 6:50 AM
Speaking of fountains, I noticed various fountains on Burrard Street have been turned off. And of course the Robson Square fountains are now quiet. With the way things are going weather-wise, we might not see them turned on again for quite a while. :(

Yep, water features all over the place have been shut down for a little while now.

trofirhen
Jul 21, 2015, 11:10 AM
Is it formalized that they are going to take the fountain out?
What are their intentions for the rock statues? Will they remain, or be removed also?

mcminsen
Jul 21, 2015, 2:20 PM
Is it formalized that they are going to take the fountain out?
What are their intentions for the rock statues? Will they remain, or be removed also?

It's my understanding that the fountain will not remain as is. The centrepiece statue might be relocated but the mosaic will probably be lost to demolition. I can't recall any final design for the north plaza being announced so what's going on right now is curious.

Klazu
Jul 21, 2015, 5:53 PM
With all the effort they are now going through to re-do the northern VAG square they should have gone ahead to implement the final plan. This temporary work is waste of money.

trofirhen
Jul 21, 2015, 6:34 PM
It's my understanding that the fountain will not remain as is. The centrepiece statue might be relocated but the mosaic will probably be lost to demolition. I can't recall any final design for the north plaza being announced so what's going on right now is curious.
It does indeed have a "hidden agenda" feel to it, yes.
If the stone statues are relocated, would they remain somewhere on site, or go elsewhere in the city?

VancouverOfTheFuture
Jul 22, 2015, 12:19 AM
nooooooooooooooo leave the fountain! that thing is beautiful.

EdinVan
Jul 23, 2015, 8:08 AM

I don't know anything about the mechanics of fountains, but isn't the water usually recycled? If so, I don't understand how turning the off conserves water.

EdinVan
Jul 23, 2015, 8:09 AM
With all the effort they are now going through to re-do the northern VAG square they should have gone ahead to implement the final plan. This temporary work is waste of money.

That's your tax dollars hard at work again.

Pinion
Jul 23, 2015, 8:13 AM
I don't know anything about the mechanics of fountains, but isn't the water usually recycled? If so, I don't understand how turning the off conserves water.

If it's anything like my employer they're tired of nosey nellies giving them crap about it even if they're allowed to. The water gestapo is everywhere these days.

mcminsen
Jul 23, 2015, 9:03 AM
They've dressed up the fence a bit now and there seem to be some styrofoam blocks unearthed on the east side. The paved areas on the west side are untouched.

July 22 '15, my pics
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/661/iccpPW.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/idiccpPWj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/540/JA9iP4.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0JA9iP4j)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/661/ALPxeY.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/idALPxeYj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/673/XhG1Py.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipXhG1Pyj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/540/3a4IoH.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f03a4IoHj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/540/q1lKnV.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0q1lKnVj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/673/DmbjI5.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipDmbjI5j)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/905/TrvPnu.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p5TrvPnuj)

trofirhen
Jul 23, 2015, 12:59 PM
Hmm. What exactly do they have in plan, anyway ??

mcminsen
Jul 27, 2015, 1:22 AM
"VANCOUVER ART GALLERY
NORTH PLAZA
REDEVELOPMENT -
PHASE 1

Waterproofing replacement
(scheduled for completion in fall 2015)

This area is being excavated to replace the waterproofing over
underground areas of the Vancouver Art Gallery. The surface
will be temporarily restored until it is redeveloped in 2016-17.

The redeveloped plaza will feature landscaping, replacement
trees and ample space for easy set-up of events."

July 26 '15, my pics
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/673/LY9v4v.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipLY9v4vj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/540/QVMUS9.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/f0QVMUS9j)

SpongeG
Jul 27, 2015, 5:02 AM

it sends a message to people saying look we are doing part to conserve water, i don't think its anything more than a gesture, like its not really saving water but enforcing the water restrictions message