PDA

View Full Version : Royal Connaught Hotel | ? | 36 fl, 33 fl, 24 fl & 13 fl | U/C

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

ScreamingViking
May 31, 2017, 3:37 AM
Terrific views though, especially that west-facing one.
(deserves a bump to the new page)

The penthouse addition has 23-foot-high ceilings and windows, here's some of the views:

http://i.imgur.com/QLEI8Q2.jpg
Photo by hamilton23 (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/member.php?u=93172)

http://i.imgur.com/3jiBYYW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sjhSaPX.jpg

Chronamut
May 31, 2017, 8:02 PM
The penthouse addition has 23-foot-high ceilings and windows, here's some of the views:

http://i.imgur.com/QLEI8Q2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3jiBYYW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sjhSaPX.jpg

So who is going to clean the interior of those windows at 23 feet high? Are they going to have a crew to clean the interior and exterior? I certainly don't see the tenants being expected to get on scaffolding to do it lol..

and oh man, does the stinton "hotel" lot ever look glaring in that second pic.. as for the first.. it's a pity they get to look at the roof of the other building.. pity there isn't anything they can do to pretty up that roof.. make it a green roof or something..

hamilton23
May 31, 2017, 8:20 PM
So who is going to clean the interior of those windows at 23 feet high? Are they going to have a crew to clean the interior and exterior? I certainly don't see the tenants being expected to get on scaffolding to do it lol..

and oh man, does the stinton "hotel" lot ever look glaring in that second pic.. as for the first.. it's a pity they get to look at the roof of the other building.. pity there isn't anything they can do to pretty up that roof.. make it a green roof or something..

There will be exterior window cleaning twice or three times a year.

In terms of interior, there aren't any tenants tall enough moving into these penthouses that would dirty the upper portions of the glass with fingerprints or whatever else. I'm also sure that these types of tenants would hire a cleaner to clean the upper portion of the glass if they do in fact get dirty.

Some of the units also have a loft, so they would have access to the upper portions of the windows in those.

Chronamut
May 31, 2017, 8:41 PM
There will be exterior window cleaning twice or three times a year.

In terms of interior, there aren't any tenants tall enough moving into these penthouses that would dirty the upper portions of the glass with fingerprints or whatever else. I'm also sure that these types of tenants would hire a cleaner to clean the upper portion of the glass if they do in fact get dirty.

Some of the units also have a loft, so they would have access to the upper portions of the windows in those.

lol consuela on scaffolding inside.. "I clean.."

also is this tinted glass or will there be one of those greenhouse effects when it is super bright and sunny out?

hamilton23
May 31, 2017, 8:53 PM
lol consuela on scaffolding inside.. "I clean.."

also is this tinted glass or will there be one of those greenhouse effects when it is super bright and sunny out?

DM if you have any further questions

king10
May 31, 2017, 9:15 PM
DM if you have any further questions

id rather the answers be given out in the open. this is a public forum after all.

I too am interested in whether the glass is tinted or not. perhaps other forum members are as well

hamilton23
May 31, 2017, 9:30 PM
id rather the answers be given out in the open. this is a public forum after all.

I too am interested in whether the glass is tinted or not. perhaps other forum members are as well

I'm not sure if I was speaking to you or not? I'm not sure why you're getting involved with a message I said to another member.

Anyways, the windows are not tinted. They are engineered to create a curtain wall effect. The window wall system allows for numerous connecting window modules that are vertically stacked and horizontally joined with structural aluminum coupling mullions.

This system is truly the first to perefect the rain screen principle, which offers superior protection against water leakage, in the event of an exterior seal failure, water is prevented from entering the building by the primary seal that is both air and water tight. Water is drained back to the exterior of the building through a carefully engineered water management system.

king10
May 31, 2017, 9:34 PM
I'm not sure if I was speaking to you or not? I'm not sure why you're getting involved with a message I said to another member.

Anyways, the windows are not tinted. They are engineered to create a curtain wall effect. The window wall system allows for numerous connecting window modules that are vertically stacked and horizontally joined with structural aluminum coupling mullions.

This system is truly the first to perefect the rain screen principle, which offers superior protection against water leakage, in the event of an exterior seal failure, water is prevented from entering the building by the primary seal that is both air and water tight. Water is drained back to the exterior of the building through a carefully engineered water management system.

excuse me?

you could do without the attitude. I'm a long time poster on this public forum. I've never seen a rule where you have to ask to join in on a conversation. perhaps you're using the wrong medium if you feel ppl "shouldn't get involved with a message sent to another member". it's not a "message" its a post on a public forum. if you don't want other forum members involved in discussion on this forum, try texting

cheers

hamilton23
May 31, 2017, 9:39 PM
excuse me? you could do without the attitude. I'm a long time poster on this public forum. I've never seen a rule where you have to ask to join in on a conversation.

cheers

I was replying to a poster specifically and you got involved for no reason. Have a good one.

king10
May 31, 2017, 9:41 PM
I was replying to a poster specifically and you got involved for no reason. Have a good one.

thats not how a forum works. i got involved because I'm a member of this forum who was also interested in the question. a big reason ppl use public forums is to gain insight and knowledge through mutual discussion. often many ppl have similar questions that can be answered through public discussion

anyone can chime in. there aren't private discussions.

asking that you answer his question on the forum simply allows others who may want to know the answer(such as myself) to see that answer

there was no need to attack me with your holier than thou attitude

enjoy your day :cheers:

hamilton23
May 31, 2017, 9:47 PM
thats not how a forum works. i got involved because I'm a member of this forum who was also interested in the question. a big reason ppl use public forums is to gain insight in knowledge through mutual discussion. often many ppl have similar questions that can be answered through public discussion

anyone can chime in. there aren't private discussions.

asking that you answer his question on the forum simply allows others who may want to know the answer(such as myself) to see that answer

there was no need to attack me with your holier than thou attitude

enjoy your day :cheers:

Ahhhh so cool! I saw that you just added a new part in your post about my "attitude" Couldn't say that the first time you wrote it eh?

There's a way to ask a question like you're describing right now. You didn't ask in a normal manner and I responded in the same way you did. If you want to have a mature conversation send me a DM or ask me in a normal way.

urban_planner
May 31, 2017, 10:44 PM
man some people on these fourms get so bent out of shape.

davidcappi
May 31, 2017, 11:05 PM
I mostly take issue with someone directly related to the developer taking this thread hostage & attempting to rebuff any forms of criticism by insulting the character of the poster.

But that's just like, my opinion man.

Also Hamilton23 why do you use your real name on UrbanToronto and not here?

davidcappi
May 31, 2017, 11:08 PM
Just gonna put this here. Found it on the Urban Toronto boards but I feel that it has merit here.

That condescending attitude has no place here. This forum has always had people discussing the fine details of new buildings. You don't need to be a famous critic to have a thoughtful and insightful perspective on whether a building has good architecture or mediocre design. Anyone can discuss these matters, as long as you have an eye for detail. That's part of why people like this forum.

UT member Junctionist in the Lago on the Waterfront forum

hamilton23
May 31, 2017, 11:11 PM
I mostly take issue with someone directly related to the developer taking this thread hostage & attempting to rebuff any forms of criticism by insulting the character of the poster.

But that's just like, my opinion man.

Also Hamilton23 why do you use your real name on UrbanToronto and not here?

The creepy part is why are you stalking me On other forums David!. Related to the builder? Nope. Wrong again. I may be related but i'm also someone with one of the most important positions on this project on a day-to-day basis.

David, you have a restraining order against you, may be sued for your actions in the sales centre the day of your "blowout", and you've banned from the development for life. Obviously you're not going to be a happy camper as a result, and you're gonna bash the project as a result! If I recall, you had been in our sales centre 3-4 times looking to buy before your famous blowout. Sorry man, just the truth.

When you try time after time David to say someone should have built something like this or should have designed something like that, I don't take you're opinion seriously because I know what you do for a living and you're not remotely involved or have studied anything to do with the industry. Thats not to say that you can't voice your opinion, because you certainly have and continue to do so. I just don't take what you say seriously.

And I never took the thread hostage. I'm only here to shoot down innacruacies that people not involved have shared, providing updates whenever they become available and having civil conversations about the development.

You and some of your buddies have gone out of your way to annoy me for no reason. If you hate the design, say that! Just leave me alone and move on with your life.

David, if you were to watch a Dr perform a surgery, would you critique the doctors performance during the surgery? No. Why? Because you're not a doctor. Same reason I wouldn't question your work ethic and attitude towards your profession. Because you're in that line of work and I'm not.

urban_planner
Jun 1, 2017, 1:18 AM
Man common guys. I love the development but don't want to read all this nonsense. Seriously.

hamilton23
Jun 1, 2017, 1:50 AM
Man common guys. I love the development but don't want to read all this nonsense. Seriously.

The thing is, I don't want to write responses to people like that. I would rather just answer questions about the project if someone has any, provide updates as I can provide them, correct an inaccuracy, etc.

I joined this thread initially after hearing someone had posted stuff on here that was inaccurate. I don't use message boards often and this is the only one that i'm semi-active on and one of two that i'm even a registered member on.. That being said, earlier when another poster told me that I had to share with the entire board something I was going to talk with a member about privately.. it just rubbed me the wrong way. I was going to explain the window situation to the person who originally asked in private, so that I could share some other stuff with the poster too. Hence why I didn't share with the board initially. The poster who wasn't involved came at me and that's annoying. I'm sorry, but I don't take crap when it's not warranted.

Then David found his way in. He was probably glad he could comment on the situation after weeks of the conversation on here being mostly civil (people posting construction progress photos, asking questions, critiquing areas of the building, etc)

David has a problem with me personally and the project. I never have and never will go into details as to what David did at the sales centre out of respect for David. I also think it would be pointless. David has faced repercussions that the project management/ownership is happy with and that's all there is to it. That being said, it's clear from his posts pre-incident and post incident, that there is a deliberate angle. He's being smart by hovering just below slanderous and he knows that he has to. The facts are simple though, you can hate the way the building looks. I don't care. Freedom of speech. But if you're going to tell me about architectural design, construction methods, etc, it's just pointless since you don't have the experience or education in this field. To say you don't like the look of something is one thing and fine but to try and play detective and say we built it for X reasons or we should have built it like (blank)... it's irrelevant because you're not someone in the industry, nor do you have the education in this field.

That all being said... I really just want to do what l intended to do on this thread. I don't want to get into arguments anymore. I'll do what I said I hoped and hope to accomplish. Just please don't go out of your way to be a nuisance towards me when I post something. If you have a question about something I post, ask me. DM is better if it's more personal or more complex. Otherwise i'll continue to post and I hope things can be civil with everyone. There are a few really warm hearted people on here from the community and thank you for being supportive.

matt602
Jun 1, 2017, 3:31 AM
So, I noticed today that the patio spaces along King Street have gotten a bit of shrubbery. Have those spaces been firmed up, tenant wise, or will I have to wait for an announcement?

hamilton23
Jun 1, 2017, 9:03 AM
So, I noticed today that the patio spaces along King Street have gotten a bit of shrubbery. Have those spaces been firmed up, tenant wise, or will I have to wait for an announcement?

Most of them are firmed in the sense that they are leased. However, due to NDA's, I can't speak for a little while more on who such tenants will be

matt602
Jun 1, 2017, 2:30 PM
Most of them are firmed in the sense that they are leased. However, due to NDA's, I can't speak for a little while more on who such tenants will be

That's all I really wanted to know, thanks :cheers:

hamilton23
Jun 1, 2017, 2:43 PM
That's all I really wanted to know, thanks :cheers:

Not a problem. Have a good day :)

Chronamut
Jun 9, 2017, 12:57 PM
this looks like the connaught and the fountain on steriods..

https://scontent.fykz1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18767419_451267141905746_5326910839420762458_n.jpg?oh=6e0554f0b61fa35a0cb8633c805d0a3a&oe=59AC0A3A

hamilton23
Jun 9, 2017, 5:20 PM
Hamilton is on the right track! Once the gore expansion is complete in front of the Connaught, the whole Gore area will be even livelier than it is now! and it's already really lively and exciting.

anactualalien
Jun 14, 2017, 10:19 PM
Hamilton23, you wouldn't happen to know anything about future plans for the London Taphouse building, would you? Being on the same block and all.

hamilton23
Jun 15, 2017, 8:59 AM
Hamilton23, you wouldn't happen to know anything about future plans for the London Taphouse building, would you? Being on the same block and all.

I haven't heard much in a long time.

thomax
Jun 20, 2017, 2:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3G61Yow.jpg
my photo

hamilton23
Jun 21, 2017, 1:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3G61Yow.jpg
my photo

Nice Photo!

It would even look nicer once Forge and Foster moves forward with completing that building on the left of your photo. Looking forward to everything moving on up.

Urban recluse
Jun 21, 2017, 5:31 PM
There are numerous buildings in Winnipeg in need of such transformation...please???

davidcappi
Jun 21, 2017, 6:58 PM
Too bad F&F isn't pitching something taller, perhaps some skinny NYC inspired infill. Would have made John St deliciously canyon like & covered up that blank south wall of the Connaught.

hamilton23
Jun 21, 2017, 9:16 PM
Too bad F&F isn't pitching something taller, perhaps some skinny NYC inspired infill. Would have made John St deliciously canyon like & covered up that blank south wall of the Connaught.

I believe that on their end it makes more sense in various aspects to keep the building shell and just simply renovate and finish it. For example, It costs a substantially amount less to go this route.

From a life long Hamiltonians perspective, it's really great to see buildings that stayed vacant and in shambles for years, come back to life. Glad Forge and Foster is behind it too. Getting people back in the core, whether it's for work or to live, shop, go for dinner, etc .. is so vital. I think adding an office with retail in this space is great and accomplishes the job of getting even more people in the core.

I think you have to be a little realistic when you say you were hoping for an NYC-esque infill here. I don't think this project and a lot of other commercial projects in Hamilton are planning to go that route for a little while more. However, I think we're inching closer to seeing more of the types of commercial buildings you mention though. Especially with the amazing roll Hamilton is on right now in many different sectors ( not just developments and real estate)

All in all, I love what they're proposing and wish them all the best. I hope it happens!

hamilton23
Jun 21, 2017, 9:25 PM
There are numerous buildings in Winnipeg in need of such transformation...please???

Winnipeg is a beautiful city! I hope people come to their senses and revive some of those older gems out there.

hamilton23
Jul 4, 2017, 11:21 AM
77% of Phase 1 is is now occupied!

Phase 2 is over 85% sold.

Interesting things coming soon.

drpgq
Jul 4, 2017, 12:41 PM
77% of Phase 1 is is now occupied!

Phase 2 is over 85% sold.

Interesting things coming soon.

Will the retail component be announced soon? I could imagine a Starbucks. A Chipotle would be cool.

hamilton23
Jul 4, 2017, 1:46 PM
Will the retail component be announced soon? I could imagine a Starbucks. A Chipotle would be cool.

Announcements will be made soon regarding retail!

urban_planner
Jul 4, 2017, 4:21 PM
Announcements will be made soon regarding retail!

How about Phase 3? Can you be a little more specific than "Soon"?

hamilton23
Jul 4, 2017, 6:19 PM
How about Phase 3? Can you be a little more specific than "Soon"?

All I can say is that it's ready to go. I can't get into specific dates regarding release date.

CaptainKirk
Jul 4, 2017, 6:57 PM
All I can say is that it's ready to go. I can't get into specific dates regarding release date.

Height? 36?

hamilton23
Jul 5, 2017, 1:33 AM
Height? 36?

Yeah

Chronamut
Jul 5, 2017, 3:48 PM
Nice Photo!

It would even look nicer once Forge and Foster moves forward with completing that building on the left of your photo. Looking forward to everything moving on up.

is that salt leeching out of the brick on the side, or does it just need to be cleaned?

cuz if so.. that's bad..

hamilton23
Jul 5, 2017, 4:19 PM
is that salt leeching out of the brick on the side, or does it just need to be cleaned?

cuz if so.. that's bad..

Out of the Forge and Foster building? No idea.

Chronamut
Jul 9, 2017, 6:03 AM
Out of the Forge and Foster building? No idea.

I was referring more to THIS:

I am really hoping that just needs to be cleaned, because if that's salt leeching out of the brick (aka efflorescence) then that's just really bad construction for it to be THAT extensive, esp. considering they are brick panels, and I am not a huge fan of the ikea-type panel construction to begin with, kinda makes it look cheap, esp. compared to the rich brown brick used originally on the connaught, which had no salt leeching problems..

that and the building as a result could have moisture problems where the water isn't draining properly or there was too much moisture during construction, a sign of bad things to come..

http://www.deckerhomeservices.com/what%20is%20efflorescence.htm

http://i.imgur.com/SDGJcac.jpg

realcity
Jul 9, 2017, 3:28 PM
Won't Phase 3 be covering that west wall?

anactualalien
Jul 9, 2017, 4:07 PM
Won't Phase 3 be covering that west wall?

Phase 3 is on the Catharine side I believe.

Dwils01
Jul 9, 2017, 7:32 PM
It looks like efflorescence to me. Considering it's starting where the joints meet.

Chronamut
Jul 9, 2017, 7:40 PM
It looks like efflorescence to me. Considering it's starting where the joints meet.

So the question is, if it is, what's going to be done about it? The new phases aren't going to but up to it - the new phase on the right is going to look straight at it after it's built, and nothing is going to cover up the one on the left as the buildings beside it are remaining..

I don't think I've seen so much efflorescence on a new build.. ever..

Chronamut
Jul 10, 2017, 2:42 PM
Facing John Street.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWNlZ0dXIAAgh59.jpg

hmm looking at the panels from the side it doesn't even appear to be real brick - its concrete with a brick exterior look? And even here it is looking "chalky"

hamilton23
Jul 10, 2017, 3:57 PM
hmm looking at the panels from the side it doesn't even appear to be real brick - its concrete with a brick exterior look? And even here it is looking "chalky"

It's not efflorescence, I can assure you of that. It's confirmed to be a dust build up from the surrounding construction. We're doing another power wash on the exterior soon and will be doing them on a regular basis during the construction of the future phases as well.

Chronamut
Jul 10, 2017, 4:22 PM
It's not efflorescence, I can assure you of that. It's confirmed to be a dust build up from the surrounding construction. We're doing another power wash on the exterior soon and will be doing them on a regular basis during the construction of the future phases as well.

awwwesome - thanks for that verification! :)

one question though.. was there a reason the colour of the panels wasn't kept the same as the original brown of the building? I always thought that a bit odd..

realcity
Jul 11, 2017, 2:50 AM
That's what you get when you put so many rules on architects' designs... you get fake brick. Non-designers telling professional-designers what to do.

Chronamut
Jul 11, 2017, 1:04 PM
That's what you get when you put so many rules on architects' designs... you get fake brick. Non-designers telling professional-designers what to do.

reminds me of why I got out of the biz to begin with...

Beedok
Jul 11, 2017, 3:30 PM
Roman concrete buildings are still standing while their brick ones are not, so I think that's a point in support concrete. :haha:

davidcappi
Jul 11, 2017, 3:41 PM
Concrete is probably better for sound & insulation than traditional brick. I don't mind the look of panels which have brick or thin brick inlayed into the surface. You can see some examples here:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-selby-the-166m-50s-mod-developments-bkl-architecture.18755/page-33

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-daniels-waterfront-city-of-the-arts-156m-45s-daniels-raw-design.19732/page-45

Chronamut
Jul 11, 2017, 4:23 PM
Roman concrete buildings are still standing while their brick ones are not, so I think that's a point in support concrete. :haha:

there is a difference here that everyone should know, between roman concrete and north american concrete.

Roman concrete uses pumice, or volcanic ash, in the construction. It also does not use rebar. As a result the concrete is eternally curing and actually gives it a lot more strength, flexibility, and the ability to breathe. The coliseum is a building that will remain thousands of years from now, whereas ours won't last past 100 or so years.

We don't use pumice or volcanic ash, and we use rebar, thus when air and water gets into the concrete it makes the bars start to rust, and with expansion and contraction the concrete is unable to breathe and thus starts to break off around the rebar, and that is why the best of ours only lasts like 20-50 years.

The parthenon was attempted to be fixed in athens by placing iron joints in that were not coated - the coating originally had prevented them from rusting, so when they rusted they expanded and cracked the blocks. Now they use titanium as the joints as it will not rust. The parthenon used marble in their construction, thus marble does not breathe - the iron in it oxidizes though which is why marble goes from white to ivory colour over time.

Their connectors looked like I shape metal and were placed in between blocks to connect them together.

We could learn a lot from the romans, but instead we just go with what is cheap and easily replaceable.

matt602
Jul 11, 2017, 5:00 PM
Lots of reasons as to why we build things the way we do, mostly driven by capitalism, but I guess thats a topic for another thread. I'll admit I'm not at all a fan of the precast panels that they went with for the RC but on the whole, I still approve of the project. Just getting this dilapidated husk of a building full of bodies again is a huge positive. I'm sure things will look better when all the phases are complete.

davidcappi
Jul 11, 2017, 5:04 PM
I'm excited to see what will happen with phase 3 of the Gore Park renovations. It's been a while since any up to date plans for that block have been circulated. I think the city is targeting a 2018 start? Not sure.

hamilton23
Jul 11, 2017, 5:25 PM
I'm excited to see what will happen with phase 3 of the Gore Park renovations. It's been a while since any up to date plans for that block have been circulated. I think the city is targeting a 2018 start? Not sure.

Info about Gore Park is coming. I can't say when unfortunately.

Zmonkey
Jul 28, 2017, 3:09 PM
Anyone have an idea how the rents are going in this building?

I see some have been lowered on kijiji, and that was the same issue people were having at Stinson (when I lived there), this city doesn't have a massive pool of renters willing to pay over 1500/month. Which is something you need if you want to break even on any of this new condos.

hamilton23
Jul 31, 2017, 4:35 PM
Anyone have an idea how the rents are going in this building?

I see some have been lowered on kijiji, and that was the same issue people were having at Stinson (when I lived there), this city doesn't have a massive pool of renters willing to pay over 1500/month. Which is something you need if you want to break even on any of this new condos.

Without getting into actual specifics, I can tell you that of the 143 units in Phase 1, ten were either rented/still on the rental market/on the sales market. Of the ones already rented, all of them have rented for a few hundred more than $1500. These were one bedroom units. The two bedroom units went for far more. I can't get into further specifics though.

Chronamut
Jul 31, 2017, 10:26 PM
Without getting into actual specifics, I can tell you that of the 143 units in Phase 1, ten were either rented/still on the rental market/on the sales market. Of the ones already rented, all of them have rented for a few hundred more than $1500. These were one bedroom units. The two bedroom units went for far more. I can't get into further specifics though.

lol I pay just over 700 for a 2 bedroom by the escarpment in the east end of the city.. which means these people are paying.. like 4 times what I would be just to be downtown.. crazy...

Berklon
Jul 31, 2017, 10:47 PM
lol I pay just over 700 for a 2 bedroom by the escarpment in the east end of the city.. which means these people are paying.. like 4 times what I would be just to be downtown.. crazy...

I've never seen a 2 bedroom for $700 in that area when looking for apartments for my brother. What building is this?

davidcappi
Aug 1, 2017, 2:00 PM
We pay $990 for 2 beds (1150 Square Feet) near Charlton/Caroline.

drpgq
Aug 1, 2017, 4:42 PM
I get the impression that vacant units are going for a lot more in Hamilton now compared to long occupied units due to rent control. I pay $1169 for a big two bedroom near St. Joe's with underground parking and I think that anyone renting a vacant unit would pay more.

hamilton23
Aug 1, 2017, 5:19 PM
I get the impression that vacant units are going for a lot more in Hamilton now compared to long occupied units due to rent control. I pay $1169 for a big two bedroom near St. Joe's with underground parking and I think that anyone renting a vacant unit would pay more.

Yup. The units are brand new as well. High-end finishes, appliances, historic building, a variety of amenities.. A lot of the units that have rented or that are still up for rent have parking spots and lockers too.

Chronamut
Aug 1, 2017, 6:29 PM
I've never seen a 2 bedroom for $700 in that area when looking for apartments for my brother. What building is this?

7 story building across from the brock teachers campus on lawrence rd.

Mind you I may be grandfathered in - it's something like 717 or 721 I pay now - when I moved in 9 years ago it was 675.00

davidcappi
Aug 2, 2017, 2:26 PM
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-2-bedroom-apartments-condos/hamilton/gorgeous-two-bedroom-plus-den-at-royal-connaught/1284035350?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2 bed currently listing for 2250 per month. Doesn't specify if what is included in that price, but I'm betting internet/hydro/utilities are extra. This listing also boasts 20k in upgrades but wants you to pay for a parking space.

LOL.

Here's a slightly shittier looking 2 bedroom going for $2350 per month which is weird. Is it bigger than the previous listing? Is it because it includes parking? Very strange

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-2-bedroom-apartments-condos/hamilton/fabulous-2-br-condo-in-the-new-connaught-residence/1282515786?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Here is the least expensive 2 bedroom unit clocking in at $2000 per month. Parking is additional as well as utilities.

Here's a 1 bedroom that's already lowered it's rental asking price. Still for lease lol.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-1-bedroom-apartments-condos/hamilton/royal-connaught-1-bedroom-executive-suite/1279742036?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

davidcappi
Aug 2, 2017, 2:29 PM
Yup. The units are brand new as well. High-end finishes, appliances, historic building, a variety of amenities.. A lot of the units that have rented or that are still up for rent have parking spots and lockers too.

Call me crazy but my rental building has lockers, they just installed all new light fixtures which are exactly like the ones in the standard units @ RC, includes parking (for $35 per month), new bathroom vanities, faucets, showers and floors & toilets, as well as new kitchen appliances. They replaced the windows two years ago with energy efficient ones, as well as sanded and refinished all of our hardwood floors.

Still struggling to see the value in renting in this building vs just buying a unit? The basic finishes in 150 & 140 main are honestly a little nicer than what I'm seeing here.

hamilton23
Aug 2, 2017, 3:18 PM
Call me crazy but my rental building has lockers, they just installed all new light fixtures which are exactly like the ones in the standard units @ RC, includes parking (for $35 per month), new bathroom vanities, faucets, showers and floors & toilets, as well as new kitchen appliances. They replaced the windows two years ago with energy efficient ones, as well as sanded and refinished all of our hardwood floors.

Still struggling to see the value in renting in this building vs just buying a unit? The basic finishes in 150 & 140 main are honestly a little nicer than what I'm seeing here.

Not arguing about renting vs buying. It's a personal choice that someone makes based on so many factors. On the finishes, maybe you've only seen the standard finishes in pictures of our units. We've won National interior design awards for our suite finishes this year. We've also had a lot of people move from those buildings and tell us how much nicer their finishes are in our building. Not trying to stir the pot with you, just stating facts from personal encounters with our buyers.

hamilton23
Aug 2, 2017, 4:04 PM
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-2-bedroom-apartments-condos/hamilton/gorgeous-two-bedroom-plus-den-at-royal-connaught/1284035350?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2 bed currently listing for 2250 per month. Doesn't specify if what is included in that price, but I'm betting internet/hydro/utilities are extra. This listing also boasts 20k in upgrades but wants you to pay for a parking space.

LOL.

Here's a slightly shittier looking 2 bedroom going for $2350 per month which is weird. Is it bigger than the previous listing? Is it because it includes parking? Very strange

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-2-bedroom-apartments-condos/hamilton/fabulous-2-br-condo-in-the-new-connaught-residence/1282515786?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Here is the least expensive 2 bedroom unit clocking in at $2000 per month. Parking is additional as well as utilities.

Here's a 1 bedroom that's already lowered it's rental asking price. Still for lease lol.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-1-bedroom-apartments-condos/hamilton/royal-connaught-1-bedroom-executive-suite/1279742036?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Buyers in the building are entitled to list their units at whatever rate they see fit. A lot of the units haven't been aggressively marketed yet by their respective owners. I'm sure they'll rent at the prices they're asking. You can't blame someone for trying to make profit on an investment. It's how a lot of people make money.

That being said, a lot of the units on the market for rent do appear to have a lot of upgrades put into them by the owner of those units. Factor that into large square footage, views, proximity to various downtown attractions and important commuter access points (highway, go stations), the chance to live in a soon to be designated historic structure, beautiful grand lobby, 24/7 security and concierge service, high-end finishes, brand new standard and upgraded appliances, countless amenity spaces, etc.

As much as I might come across as a homer to some posters (because I work for the developer and contractor) I'll be completely honest in my posts.

95% of Phase 1 is now occupied. Rest of occupancy is at the end of this month and beginning of September. Most people who bought here have moved in and to be honest... they all love it and have recommended the building to friends and family and a ton of sales have been made simply from recommendations from owners/tenants in the building. The truth is people love the workmanship in the suites, the high ceilings, the layouts (super important in modern condo living), finishes, etc. People are really happy with their purchases and tenants who are renting also have loved living here thus far.

Another thing about rents. This is only the start of the trend we're talking about here. We haven't scratched the surface yet with rents increasing. People from Toronto are moving further West, Hamilton included, and with the amount of projects in development, more money being invested into the city, you're going to see crazy rental rates sooner rather than later.

drpgq
Aug 2, 2017, 5:29 PM
With regards to the rents they do seem somewhat high, but to be fair they have in unit washer dryer and air con, which is pretty rare for Hamilton's mostly crotchety apartment stock.

Chronamut
Aug 2, 2017, 8:16 PM
With regards to the rents they do seem somewhat high, but to be fair they have in unit washer dryer and air con, which is pretty rare for Hamilton's mostly crotchety apartment stock.

this is true.. we have a common area downstairs to do that..

my hydro is extra, but I don't pay for parking.. mind you I don't own a car so I don't really USE my parking spot.. or.. even know where it is hahaha..

but yeah I guess out of all of you I have the cheapest apartment rental for what I get.. access to king st, bar, shoppers, and metro around the corner.. escarpment within walking distance.. I don't plan on moving anytime soon, and if I did I probably would never get it for the price I have it now..

king10
Aug 17, 2017, 7:32 PM
I see a unit listed on realtor.ca 7th floor, 2BR, 2WR, 2 Parking spots. asking $550K

Berklon
Aug 17, 2017, 9:43 PM
I see a unit listed on realtor.ca 7th floor, 2BR, 2WR, 2 Parking spots. asking $550K

That looks to be about only 500-550 sq. ft. and no balcony.

I know of much better ways to spend 550k.

CaptainKirk
Aug 18, 2017, 12:52 AM
That looks to be about only 500-550 sq. ft. and no balcony.

I know of much better ways to spend 550k.

Pretty sure a 2BR, 2WR condo would be bigger than 550 sq ft.

550 sq ft would get you a 1BR, 1WR.

Berklon
Aug 18, 2017, 1:39 AM
Pretty sure a 2BR, 2WR condo would be bigger than 550 sq ft.

550 sq ft would get you a 1BR, 1WR.

Going by the room measurements for the 2 BRs, kitchen and living on the listing and rounding up - it comes out to roughly 450 sq. ft. (that's being generous). Looking at the blueprint, the rest of the space probably comes out to maybe 150 sq. ft.
So maybe 600-650 sq. ft. or so... which isn't that much bigger.

Still seems overpriced to me.

Chronamut
Aug 18, 2017, 1:53 AM
Going by the room measurements for the 2 BRs, kitchen and living on the listing and rounding up - it comes out to roughly 450 sq. ft. (that's being generous). Looking at the blueprint, the rest of the space probably comes out to maybe 150 sq. ft.

lol that's 1000 bucks a square foot - that's just insane..

King&James
Aug 18, 2017, 12:23 PM
June is gearing up to be a busy month for the Connaught.

At the end of June, 94 units will be occupied. That's 77% of Phase 1.

The remaining 23% of the units will occupy until beginning of September.

Retail tenants and such will be announced shortly...

Phase 2 is being drywalled as we speak. Now closer to 85% sold for Phase 2.

Just wondering if the retail tenants have been announced .... also, almost time for big announcement on Phase 3?

davidcappi
Aug 18, 2017, 2:37 PM

You can always try before you buy by renting the $82 per night airbnb unit!

urban_planner
Aug 18, 2017, 7:25 PM
hamilton23 has been pretty quiet lately. We all await the Phase 3 announcement since its the Centerpiece of the development.

Innsertnamehere
Aug 19, 2017, 5:52 AM
looking at the plan I would guess closer to 850sf. 650 is way too small for that, its got a walk in closet, 2 beds, 2 baths, large kitchen, foyer, etc. Its certainly not 650sf.

hamilton23
Aug 19, 2017, 1:32 PM

Our smallest 2 bed 2 bath in Phase 1 was in the 800 sq ft range. The listing is incorrect. Also, no one owns two parking spots in the building... could be a completely misleading listing.

hamilton23
Aug 19, 2017, 1:36 PM
You can always try before you buy by renting the $82 per night airbnb unit!

The listing is in the process of being taken down

hamilton23
Aug 19, 2017, 1:38 PM
Just wondering if the retail tenants have been announced .... also, almost time for big announcement on Phase 3?

Retail tenants will be released in a press release in the not so distant future. I can't go into further detail yet.

hamilton23
Aug 19, 2017, 1:39 PM
looking at the plan I would guess closer to 850sf. 650 is way too small for that, its got a walk in closet, 2 beds, 2 baths, large kitchen, foyer, etc. Its certainly not 650sf.

Your are correct. This unit in particular is upwards of 860 sq ft

hamilton23
Aug 19, 2017, 1:43 PM
hamilton23 has been pretty quiet lately. We all await the Phase 3 announcement since its the Centerpiece of the development.

Everything is being completely finalized at the moment. We wanted to give Phase 2 the same or close to the same amount of an exclusive sales period of Phase 1 before releasing Phase3. We're nearing 95% sold for Phase 2 so an announcement is coming super soon.

Berklon
Aug 19, 2017, 2:02 PM
Our smallest 2 bed 2 bath in Phase 1 was in the 800 sq ft range. The listing is incorrect. Also, no one owns two parking spots in the building... could be a completely misleading listing.

It better be incorrect, because the provided dimensions come out to 420 sq. ft. - which means the remaining space in the plan would need to be 400 sq. ft... and no way that's the case based on the scale of the plan.

hamilton23
Aug 19, 2017, 2:38 PM
It better be incorrect, because the provided dimensions come out to 420 sq. ft. - which means the remaining space in the plan would need to be 400 sq. ft... and no way that's the case based on the scale of the plan.

It could be one of two things:

- The seller is incorrectly advertising it as a two bed two bathroom.
- The seller is using the wrong floorplan to advertise their listing.

Our smallest one bedroom in both Phase 1 and 2 was 595 sq ft. Nothing smaller exists in the building.

King&James
Aug 20, 2017, 1:59 PM
Everything is being completely finalized at the moment. We wanted to give Phase 2 the same or close to the same amount of an exclusive sales period of Phase 1 before releasing Phase3. We're nearing 95% sold for Phase 2 so an announcement is coming super soon.

Thanks for update! Phase 3 will really make a mark in the skyline!

davidcappi
Aug 21, 2017, 3:19 PM
What's going on with the exposed elevator/ventilation mechanics on top of the John Street addition? I thought mechanical equipment was required to be screened from view from any street...

hamilton23
Aug 21, 2017, 6:16 PM
What's going on with the exposed elevator/ventilation mechanics on top of the John Street addition? I thought mechanical equipment was required to be screened from view from any street...

The equipment your speaking of is housed in a mechanical room on the roof.

davidcappi
Aug 21, 2017, 6:29 PM
What are the two large metal/silver boxes visible from Main/John? They're above the John St addition. HVAC?

hamilton23
Aug 21, 2017, 6:46 PM
What are the two large metal/silver boxes visible from Main/John? They're above the John St addition. HVAC?

Yes, that is HVAC. HVAC isn't something you can house because it needs to be ventilated with fresh air.

davidcappi
Aug 21, 2017, 7:07 PM
Huh. Strange. William Thomas is enclosing theirs with a perforated metal/screen material which I guess meets the ventilation needs.

hamilton23
Aug 21, 2017, 7:35 PM
Huh. Strange. William Thomas is enclosing theirs with a perforated metal/screen material which I guess meets the ventilation needs.

Currently that's the way we have our unit. It's the most efficient way when you consider getting right to the unit to do routine maintenance, inspections, repairs, etc. However, I have heard that we may be covering it with a similar material that you mentioned in your post. It's not against the law or regulations to not have it covered though.

mclancer
Aug 23, 2017, 12:26 AM
It may not be against the law or regulations, but it looks better to be hidden from the street.
I would also assume that the HVAC would work more efficiently if it was protected from the sun.

hamilton23
Aug 23, 2017, 12:22 PM
It may not be against the law or regulations, but it looks better to be hidden from the street.
I would also assume that the HVAC would work more efficiently if it was protected from the sun.

It pretty much is hidden. You have to go out of your way to spot it up there or be standing a few blocks away from the building in order to really spot it. If you look at pictures of the building posted on this forum, you likely won't see it.

The equipment isn't impacted by the sun. It needs to be exposed in order to provide proper ventilation for the building.

davidcappi
Aug 23, 2017, 2:10 PM
It is pretty visible from anywhere south of Main with a view of the building... I know there is no rule that says it must be enclosed, but I'm almost positive the bylaw for Downtown D3 zones states that rooftop mechanical equipment shouldn't be visible from any street.

I don't want to start anything, I was just wondering if there were plans to comply with that bylaw in the future.

hamilton23
Aug 23, 2017, 2:27 PM
It is pretty visible from anywhere south of Main with a view of the building... I know there is no rule that says it must be enclosed, but I'm almost positive the bylaw for Downtown D3 zones states that rooftop mechanical equipment shouldn't be visible from any street.

I don't want to start anything, I was just wondering if there were plans to comply with that bylaw in the future.

After speaking with multiple building inspectors at the city, I can confirm 100% that a cooling tower is allowed to be visible from the street.

Again, you can't see the cooling tower if you're close close to the building. If you're further away and are trying to spot it like a game of Wheres Waldo, then you may be able to spot it.

I understand the question though.

hamilton23
Sep 27, 2017, 11:13 AM
Some updates:

- Drywall for Phase 2 suites is in full swing
- Occupancy for Phase 2 will probably be earlier than expected due to the work that was done during Phase 1 construction that pertained to Phase 2 as well , since they're both apart of the same building.

- Retail Tenants will be announced shortly.
- Phase 3 is just around the corner. Some details are being ironed out. Expect an official announcement shortly...

SpringLight88
Sep 27, 2017, 12:51 PM
As someone moving into Phase 2, this just made my day! Thank you Hamilton23!

hamilton23
Sep 27, 2017, 1:58 PM
As someone moving into Phase 2, this just made my day! Thank you Hamilton23!

My pleasure. I hope the future announcements we have planned will also make you happy!