PDA

View Full Version : Royal Connaught Hotel | ? | 36 fl, 33 fl, 24 fl & 13 fl | U/C

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 1:26 AM
What facts?

You're selling too hard. It's a nice project and they have a good thing going on. There's no need to defend every aspect of this project.

I'm not a sales person.

king10
Mar 28, 2017, 1:31 AM
What facts?

You're selling too hard. It's a nice project and they have a good thing going on. There's no need to defend every aspect of this project.

bingo:cheers:

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 1:33 AM

Defending the addition only! :cheers:

king10
Mar 28, 2017, 1:35 AM
I'm not a sales person.

The facts meaning, the addition has sold at a rate unheard of for the condo market in Hamilton and the hate on this board is pointless!. Would the addition sell out before parts of the original building if it was so horrible?. Also, the praise for the addition keeps rolling in.

the "facts" that sales are brisk does not mean people can't have opinions in which they dont like aspects of the project.

the two aren't mutually exclusive.

also you'd have more credibility if all 38 of your posts weren't in a single thread. you're clearly on this board for one purpose

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 1:40 AM
the "facts" that sales are brisk does not mean people can't have opinions in which they dont like aspects of the project.

also you'd have more credibility if all 38 of your posts weren't in a single thread. you're clearly on this board for one purpose

Did you read my posts?. It's not only about sales :). Lot's of respected architects in North America have been impressed with the innovative design of the addition and the incredible blend of old and new. It's not about numbers.

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 1:45 AM

I would be more than happy to have a private conversation with you in PM.

I do agree that the discussion has gone off topic and would like to discuss this privately with you.

bvbborussia
Mar 28, 2017, 3:03 AM
Did you read my last comment King 10? Haha. I stated that opinions are welcomed. I'm simply pointing out facts compared to online message board posts!

I'm not a sales person.

The facts meaning, the addition has sold at a rate unheard of for the condo market in Hamilton and the hate on this board is pointless!. Would the addition sell out before parts of the original building if it was so horrible?. Also, the praise for the addition keeps rolling in.

There's no hate. Like I said, it's a good project.

I've never seen the inside of the units that make up the addition. I'm sure they're lovely and they're selling like hot cakes. I'd probably love to live in a gorgeous penthouse unit in that building but I'd still stand on the street below and look up at addition and feel like it does much less for the original building than the original does for it.

For me, it just lacks charm and imagination. I would have hoped that any addition to the original would have been a sleek, ultra modern contrast but what they've got doesn't offer that.

I stress there's no hate and I have no doubt everything is going as well as you say and if buyers across Hamilton and talented architects the world over disagree with me then you have nothing to worry. Otherwise, you protest too much.

durandy
Mar 28, 2017, 3:34 AM
I'm not a sales person.

To answer your question, yes. When units at the Chateau Royale are going for $250K, any new unit, literally any, will sell for $300K. That doesn't say anything except that supply is a real problem. I'm happy about this project too, but only in respect of intensification, and in hindsight when I remember when it almost became affordable housing; architecturally, it's a big fail for me. I totally understand, if I'm Valeri and Spallacci in 2012, I've just bought the place on power of sale after the previous developer failed in their bid to make it affordable housing, that I'd keep the plans pretty sober. But don't think you can come on a board about architecture and built form and impress anyone.

CaptainKirk
Mar 28, 2017, 6:29 AM
What facts?

But don't think you can come on a board about architecture and built form and impress anyone.

Facts that sales of the addition are successful and that architecture/design people give positive feedbacks.

What's with all the vitriol? You don't have to like it.

As hamilton23 said (quite nicely), we all have opinions.

Chill people.

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 9:19 AM
To answer your question, yes. When units at the Chateau Royale are going for $250K, any new unit, literally any, will sell for $300K. That doesn't say anything except that supply is a real problem. I'm happy about this project too, but only in respect of intensification, and in hindsight when I remember when it almost became affordable housing; architecturally, it's a big fail for me. I totally understand, if I'm Valeri and Spallacci in 2012, I've just bought the place on power of sale after the previous developer failed in their bid to make it affordable housing, that I'd keep the plans pretty sober. But don't think you can come on a board about architecture and built form and impress anyone.

I don't have to impress you. Acclaimed architects and construction professionals from around the world have given the project praise. I'll take the architect and construction industry professionals praise :)

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 9:26 AM
Facts that sales of the addition are successful and that architecture/design people give positive feedbacks.

What's with all the vitriol? You don't have to like it.

As hamilton23 said (quite nicely), we all have opinions.

Chill people.

Thank You!.

I've been trying to say this for the last few pages of the thread but it seems like a few posters are purposely trying to annoy me.

If you're allowed to trash the design of the addition, i'm allowed to defend it. Simple as that. Hopefully you can all allow me to continue without dissecting and trashing every response I make.

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 10:52 AM

Supply in Hamilton, especially Downtown, is at an all time high actually.

movingtohamilton
Mar 28, 2017, 1:46 PM
...If you're allowed to trash the design of the addition, i'm allowed to defend it. Simple as that. Hopefully you can all allow me to continue without dissecting and trashing every response I make.

Your problem, which you consistently fail to understand, is that you have a vested interest in the RC. You are employed by the development. You're not impartial. You seem to take it personally when a contrary opinion is expressed.

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 2:20 PM
Your problem, which you consistently fail to understand, is that you have a vested interest in the RC. You are employed by the development. You're not impartial. You seem to take it personally when a contrary opinion is expressed.

What you fail to understand is that i'm also a Hamiltonian born and raised and I am impartial. I want what's best for the city. As do the developers.

What I've said through the last couple of pages of this thread (and I do hope posters like you get off my back so I can move onto other discussions ) is that REAL architects and construction industry professionals love the design of the building. The only negative responses I've read are on this thread. I take the opinion of real industry professionals over the opinion of wannabe designers, architects and construction professionals. My intention here is to provide construction and other updates on the development as well as to clarify inaccuracies that may deemed as defamation. I would love to talk about other aspects of the project and get off this topic, and hopefully engage in positive dialogue with the respectful and interested posters in this thread. But it seems like that won't happen until the target is removed from my back.

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 2:44 PM
On that note...

I hope to move the discussion along with some project updates.

-As mentioned last weekend, Phase 2 is now at 70% Sold. Construction on Phase 2 is likely to conclude in just under a year, seeing as it's currently well underway.

-First residences of Phase 1 move in within the next couple of weeks, continue to do so until end of summer.

- Secondary Lobby for Phase 1 residences is more than 90% complete and should be 100% complete by mid next week.

-Fourth floor 'skydeck' tiles being installed currently. Entire skydeck should be completed within or less than one month from now.

- Upper Penthouse that has been restored from 1916, is being worked on heavily. Roofing on it has been complete and exterior repairs should be starting soon. Interior of this penthouse is well underway and has been for a few months.

Will provide pictures of skydeck construction progress and penthouse exterior later today.

realcity
Mar 28, 2017, 2:46 PM
I like the penthouse addition. Almost every building in Hamilton lacks a headdress of any kind

atnor
Mar 28, 2017, 2:47 PM
I don't like how this forum clamps down on dissent. Even if Hamilton23 works for RC, he is allowed to defend the addition and his opinion is just as valid as yours.

I think the addition looks great. In fact, I think the building is better off with the addition. It's great to hear the addition is well received among professionals in the field and that sales are enthusiastic about the addition.

davidcappi
Mar 28, 2017, 2:50 PM
I take the opinion of real industry professionals over the opinion of wannabe designers, architects and construction professionals.

This isn't a board for industry professionals. It's a board for wannabe designers, architects, and enthusiasts of built form and architecture.

movingtohamilton
Mar 28, 2017, 2:56 PM
...The only negative responses I've read are on this thread. I take the opinion of real industry professionals over the opinion of wannabe designers, architects and construction professionals. My intention here is to provide construction and other updates on the development as well as to clarify inaccuracies that may deemed as defamation. ...

Defamation? You've got to be kidding! Social media managers don't make threats.

If there's a target on your back, you put it there.

Certainly you should post construction and other updates on the development. Period. Stop reacting so much.

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 2:59 PM
Defamation? You've got to be kidding! Social media managers don't make threats.

If there's a target on your back, you put it there.

Certainly you should post construction and other updates on the development. Period. Stop reacting so much.

How do you figure that i'm a social media manager?. This is incorrect, but I do know how you could have got that info and i'll make sure to notify my lawyer about this ASAP. Thanks for providing me with the tip :)

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 3:00 PM
This isn't a board for industry professionals. It's a board for wannabe designers, architects, and enthusiasts of built form and architecture.

Where does it state this David?. Anyone can post on this board. It isn't exclusive to people not in the industry.

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 3:35 PM
That is awesome!

Thank you!.

We had over 80 designers and architects from around North America tour our site. They were floored with what they saw and couldn't believe this is happening here in Hamilton!. It was an honour to host IKEA.

bvbborussia
Mar 28, 2017, 8:31 PM
This is hilarous

Xelebes
Mar 28, 2017, 10:38 PM
Enough of this guys.

hamilton23
Mar 28, 2017, 11:05 PM
Enough of this guys.

I didn't want this to drag onto this thread. That was never my intent. As I've said many many times throughout this thread, I seriously just want to share construction and development related updates to the readers of this thread and those who are interested.

David has been upset with me for months because I have a PRIVATE legal matter against him that is ongoing and has gotten more severe over the last few days. I never intended to post specifics of the incident on this thread and will never do so in the future either . It's a private matter and I always intended it to be that way. David posted a very confidential letter between three parties, myself, him and my attorney. That should have stayed private.

movingtohamilton
Mar 29, 2017, 2:14 AM

^ This.

movingtohamilton
Mar 29, 2017, 2:18 AM
How do you figure that i'm a social media manager?. This is incorrect, but I do know how you could have got that info and i'll make sure to notify my lawyer about this ASAP. Thanks for providing me with the tip :)

"my lawyer"? Are you suing someone privately?

What's your job title at RC? You should have no problem with disclosing this. Thanks.

hamilton23
Mar 29, 2017, 2:28 AM
"my lawyer"? Are you suing someone privately?

What's your job title at RC? You should have no problem with disclosing this. Thanks.

I don't have to answer to you :) please stay on topic

movingtohamilton
Mar 29, 2017, 2:39 AM
I don't have to answer to you :) please stay on topic

Are you an engineer, the RC project manager, an investor, etc? I know you don't have to answer, but since you said that " I was only stating my opinion in my responses and the opinions of other respected professionals", what is your professional designation?

Not sure why you are so reluctant to disclose your role.

Anyway, I seem to be annoying you and disrupting your cheer-leading narrative. So I'll step away. Maybe others will put your feet to the fire, as the saying goes. ;)

hamilton23
Mar 29, 2017, 2:43 AM
Are you an engineer, the RC project manager, an investor, etc? I know you don't have to answer, but since you said that " I was only stating my opinion in my responses and the opinions of other respected professionals", what is your professional designation?

Anyway, I seem to be annoying you and disrupting your cheer-leading narrative. So I'll step away. Maybe others will put your feet to the fire, as the saying goes. ;)

I do have an answer :) but why do I have to disclose this to "Moving to Hamilton". Hmmm let's start with the BSci Degree followed by the MBA followed by the JD followed by the PMP. How about you?. I don't need to disclose my position with you :)

Is that how the saying goes?. I'll have to look that one up!.

hamilton23
Mar 29, 2017, 2:47 AM

By the way.... it's cheerleading not cheer-leading.

hamilton23
Mar 29, 2017, 3:08 AM
Will have some very exciting news to share in a week, week and a half :)

Thanks to those who have been interested in staying on topic about the development.

bvbborussia
Mar 29, 2017, 3:34 AM
I do have an answer :) but why do I have to disclose this to "Moving to Hamilton". Hmmm let's start with the BSci Degree followed by the MBA followed by the JD followed by the PMP. How about you?. I don't need to disclose my position with you :)

Is that how the saying goes?. I'll have to look that one up!.

Who's better than this guy?

King&James
Mar 29, 2017, 3:37 AM
Will have some very exciting news to share in a week, week and a half :)

Thanks to those who have been interested in staying on topic about the development.

Looking forward to the news ! Would also be great to see some photos from the site.

hamilton23
Mar 29, 2017, 9:21 AM
Looking forward to the news ! Would also be great to see some photos from the site.

Will share the photos today!

hamilton23
Mar 29, 2017, 12:15 PM
Getting the hang of posting pictures. Anyone Interested in seeing pictures PM me

Xelebes
Mar 29, 2017, 4:08 PM
Thread is closed until thread is reviewed by local moderators.

SteelTown
Mar 29, 2017, 9:13 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/xT4uQhBW8QxOkwF4Ig/giphy.gif
https://giphy.com/gifs/xT4uQhBW8QxOkwF4Ig

Ugh, seriously lets be more respectful towards each other. Let's not make this personal and instead focus on the project itself.

thomax
Mar 29, 2017, 10:36 PM
Fourth floor skydeck:
http://i.imgur.com/Nnbhabs.jpg
Photo by hamilton23 (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/member.php?u=93172)

Penthouse restoration:
http://i.imgur.com/NymsnXs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0MkBdGG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HSLQ0mN.jpg

Rg2016
Mar 29, 2017, 11:21 PM
I dont see a swimming pool..

hamilton23
Mar 29, 2017, 11:28 PM
I dont see a swimming pool..

deleted by poster

GeneralLeeTPHLS
Mar 29, 2017, 11:43 PM
Looking great for that restoration! I'm not sure what occurred on the last page....but it certainly reminded me of something out of generic YouTube comments for a second.

Anyways, thanks for the updates Hamilton23!

King&James
Mar 30, 2017, 1:20 AM
thanks for photos hamilton23 / thomax - great to see different views and perspectives (from pics and contributors)

hamilton23
Mar 30, 2017, 1:35 AM
Looking great for that restoration! I'm not sure what occurred on the last page....but it certainly reminded me of something out of generic YouTube comments for a second.

Anyways, thanks for the updates Hamilton23!

I'm hoping to provide multiple updates weekly and pictures as well. Thank you for the support. I really am happy that the discussion is back on topic.

hamilton23
Mar 30, 2017, 1:38 AM
thanks for photos hamilton23 / thomax - great to see different views and perspectives (from pics and contributors)

It's my pleasure :). Now that the discussion is back on track i'm excited to share more information.

Thomax has been incredibly kind and helpful to me and I also want to thank him for sharing the photos. He's been a huge help.

thomax
Mar 30, 2017, 3:08 AM
Thomax has been incredibly kind and helpful to me and I also want to thank him for sharing the photos. He's been a huge help.

No problem, glad I could help :cheers:

Dr Awesomesauce
Mar 30, 2017, 12:06 PM
Yes, let's get the bullying from hamilton23 (and Maxy38) back on track.

P.s. Do not private message me again, hamilton23.

Xelebes
Mar 30, 2017, 2:44 PM
Please report abusive PMs so that the moderators can take a look at it.

hamilton23
Mar 30, 2017, 4:15 PM
A few minor updates:

-Glazing on entire building is now 100% complete. I posted a few weeks ago that the glazing would be done shortly, but some of the windows were delayed. If you're in the area you'll notice all the glazing installed.

-Major work being done on 4th Floor Skydeck (terrace). I will share more exciting photos in a week, week and half when it nears 100% completion.

-Restaurant space :notacrook: Drywall and plumbing is being completed. Roughly at 85% done right now. The space is unreal. Will share photos in a few weeks when its done. Ceiling height is unlike any other restaurant in Hamilton and even Burlington, Oakville for that matter. It's very exciting.

- Railings separating resident and guest sidewalk in front of building and the gore park extension running in front of the building starting today.

-Theatre room under construction. Will provide pics in a few weeks.

On a side note i'm calling all local artists to send me a PM if interested in participating in something interesting....

This is not the news I mentioned about sharing the other day. That exciting information will be shared very very soon.

SteelTown
Mar 30, 2017, 4:31 PM
I have a question, what's going to happen with the old Grand Hall on the 2nd floor? It used to host so many events and parties, used to host New Year Eve parties. I'm assuming it's being converted into condo units?

hamilton23
Mar 30, 2017, 4:41 PM
I have a question, what's going to happen with the old Grand Hall on the 2nd floor? It used to host so many events and parties, used to host New Year Eve parties. I'm assuming it's being converted into condo units?

The Grand Hall on the Second floor will be a temporary fitness centre for Phase 1 residences before the full sized gym is complete in roughly 5 months from now. The rest of the second floor has couches, tables, leather chairs and a beautiful lookout onto the grand lobby below. Residences can grab a coffee from the lobby bar and meet up with friends and family on the second floor and hang out, amongst many other things.

Afterwords, we have something really special planned for that space. Will share that info here first.

Also, our theatre room and conference room is currently under construction. Will take pics once it progresses further.

hamilton23
Mar 30, 2017, 5:32 PM
Will upload pictures of the fencing later this evening.

king10
Mar 30, 2017, 6:28 PM
thanks for the info Hamilton23. look forward to the updates

atnor
Mar 30, 2017, 6:32 PM
Thanks for your contribution Hamilton23, you are a valued member of this board.

thomax
Mar 30, 2017, 7:43 PM
Fencing is being installed along the patios, storefronts, and front entrance...

http://i.imgur.com/pZnDChf.jpg
Photo by hamilton23 ([URL="http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/member.php?u=93172)

From hamilton23:
They started installing the fences today, but due to the snow weather during mid-afternoon they had to leave. They will finish it tomorrow and I will provide more pictures at that time.

SteelTown
Mar 30, 2017, 8:06 PM
The Grand Hall on the Second floor will be a temporary fitness centre for Phase 1 residences before the full sized gym is complete in roughly 5 months from now. The rest of the second floor has couches, tables, leather chairs and a beautiful lookout onto the grand lobby below. Residences can grab a coffee from the lobby bar and meet up with friends and family on the second floor and hang out, amongst many other things.

Afterwords, we have something really special planned for that space. Will share that info here first.

Also, our theatre room and conference room is currently under construction. Will take pics once it progresses further.

Ok, the Grand Hall must have 20 feet high ceiling, super tall rooms and great for perfect for glitzy chandeliers.

thomax
Mar 30, 2017, 8:34 PM
Looking down at the fourth floor skydeck:
http://i.imgur.com/GnTQC0h.jpg

New penthouse roof:
http://i.imgur.com/ozck8as.jpg

hamilton23
Mar 30, 2017, 9:36 PM
Ok, the Grand Hall must have 20 feet high ceiling, super tall rooms and great for perfect for glitzy chandeliers.

Yes Sir!. Can't wait to share photos

hamilton23
Mar 30, 2017, 9:55 PM
Sales Update: Approaching 75% Sold for Phase 2.

hamilton23
Mar 31, 2017, 4:48 PM
Hey Everyone,

I noticed a minor error in the floor count for The first two Phases of the development in the thread title. They are 11 Floors Plus a Lower Penthouse Floor (LPH-12) and Upper Penthouse Level (UPH-13).

hamilton23
Mar 31, 2017, 7:31 PM
RC will be getting some National Exposure in tomorrows National Post. I was interviewed a week ago about the model suite. Check it out!.

atnor
Mar 31, 2017, 7:45 PM
Is the big announcement Phase 3 will break ground this fall?

hamilton23
Mar 31, 2017, 7:53 PM
Is the big announcement Phase 3 will break ground this fall?

My lips are sealed for now, unfortunately.

realcity
Apr 1, 2017, 11:41 AM
I doubt Phase 3 and 4 will get built

hamilton23
Apr 1, 2017, 12:39 PM
I doubt Phase 3 and 4 will get built

Phases 3,4 and 5 are 150% being built

realcity
Apr 1, 2017, 1:06 PM
good to hear

CaptainKirk
Apr 1, 2017, 1:42 PM
Phases 3,4 and 5 are 150% being built

If demand is there, any possibility they could be taller than planned?

hamilton23
Apr 1, 2017, 2:35 PM
If demand is there, any possibility they could be taller than planned?

Which phase? Or do you mean all of them?

King&James
Apr 1, 2017, 4:08 PM
Here are some close up shots of the model which shows the phase 3 podium they'll be building next.

https://s29.postimg.org/f7mn7qrrb/IMG_1541.jpg
https://s29.postimg.org/4yyrfnt3b/IMG_1540.jpg
https://s29.postimg.org/d5qr78j5z/IMG_1539.jpg
https://s29.postimg.org/ojdaifton/IMG_1538.jpg
https://s29.postimg.org/tjaqqdzbb/IMG_1537.jpg
https://s29.postimg.org/vcdnepkhz/IMG_1535.jpg

Just brining these photos forward , great set - would be fantastic if towers 3 and 4 were built as bblock or at theast the base of 4 going in at the same time as base and tower 3

hamilton23
Apr 1, 2017, 5:46 PM
Just brining these photos forward , great set - would be fantastic if towers 3 and 4 were built as bblock or at theast the base of 4 going in at the same time as base and tower 3

You're right on the money.

The base of the fourth phase will almost certainly be built in unison with Phase 3. Nothing set it stone about that however, but it makes sense. Will provide an update on that when it becomes available in the future.

Hawrylyshyn
Apr 1, 2017, 6:47 PM
Are the podiums of the next 3 towers all connected? I know the first two towers are but is the last one connected? Cheers

hamilton23
Apr 1, 2017, 7:16 PM
Are the podiums of the next 3 towers all connected? I know the first two towers are but is the last one connected? Cheers

Yes they are and Phase 3 will be connected into Phases 1 and 2. Meaning all five phases will be connected.

durandy
Apr 2, 2017, 3:57 AM
Yes they are and Phase 3 will be connected into Phases 1 and 2. Meaning all five phases will be connected.

Shared courtyard and facilities for all five?

Have to say those models look pretty awesome. I will retract every negative thing I've said about this project if those phases get built even close to these.

hamilton23
Apr 2, 2017, 2:29 PM
Shared courtyard and facilities for all five?

Have to say those models look pretty awesome. I will retract every negative thing I've said about this project if those phases get built even close to these.

The fourth floor courtyard will be accessible to all residences of all five phases. There may be a rooftop patio or another courtyard in between phases 4 and 5 so that residences in the later phases will get their own courtyard. Facilities will be shared but there will be smaller versions of those facilities (ie gym) in each phase in order to keep the main facilities less busy and for residences to have a quick access to gym equipment, etc

atnor
Apr 2, 2017, 3:20 PM
What other amenities are provided? Theater room, spa/sauna, arcade?

hamilton23
Apr 2, 2017, 7:26 PM
What other amenities are provided? Theater room, spa/sauna, arcade?

Indoor pool with hot tub and saunas, possible tennis courts, conference rooms

hamilton23
Apr 3, 2017, 2:26 PM
Morning,

A few little updates to share:

-Construction fencing in front of the building on King St has been removed as of mid morning.

- Windows on Front Facade being cleaned on exterior (king st side)

thomax
Apr 3, 2017, 4:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tsqWVsM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QHQWhpP.jpg

SteelTown
Apr 3, 2017, 5:18 PM
That second picture, are those vents or light pods?

hamilton23
Apr 3, 2017, 5:46 PM
That second picture, are those vents or light pods?

Vents and light pods.

thomax
Apr 4, 2017, 6:48 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2816/33672973742_0a2f66f514_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TiyMWN)
Royal Connaught Window Cleaners (https://flic.kr/p/TiyMWN) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3952/33444283410_1911e558fe_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/SXmGh3)
Royal Connaught Window Cleaners (https://flic.kr/p/SXmGh3) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

thomax
Apr 12, 2017, 7:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dxSrdCG.jpg
Gore Park Aerial w/ Residences of the Royal Connaught (https://www.instagram.com/p/BSp9Uu9jnb6/) by sexdrugshamont (https://www.instagram.com/sexdrugshamont/), on Instagram

Dr Awesomesauce
Apr 13, 2017, 12:13 AM
Nice one. It's a unique public space and deserves this nice makeover.

I still don't understand the purpose of all that grass, however. Reserving a little space for flowers or what have you is one thing but taking up all that real estate with grass doesn't make much sense to me. What function does it serve?

Perhaps this all comes back to the Gore's ongoing personality disorder - is it a park or a square?

matt602
Apr 13, 2017, 2:54 PM
Nice one. It's a unique public space and deserves this nice makeover.

I still don't understand the purpose of all that grass, however. Reserving a little space for flowers or what have you is one thing but taking up all that real estate with grass doesn't make much sense to me. What function does it serve?

Perhaps this all comes back to the Gore's ongoing personality disorder - is it a park or a square?

They had to take a ton of trees out of the park because they were infested with bugs. I guess the grass portions were a compromise to maintain some kind of greenspace.

hamilton23
Apr 13, 2017, 6:41 PM
Gore Park Aerial w/ Residences of the Royal Connaught (https://www.instagram.com/p/BSp9Uu9jnb6/) by sexdrugshamont (https://www.instagram.com/sexdrugshamont/), on Instagram

Great Photo!

Davis137
Apr 13, 2017, 10:39 PM
That is an awesome photo, and I can't wait to see what the downtown looks like when there are more people living in the core, and there is more pedestrian traffic and action downtown overall...

Dr Awesomesauce
Apr 14, 2017, 12:06 AM
They had to take a ton of trees out of the park because they were infested with bugs. I guess the grass portions were a compromise to maintain some kind of greenspace.

Oh probably. Who knows? Sure doesn't make any sense to me. I've never understood the obsession so many North Americans have with grass. Who's gonna go to Gore Park and sit in the grass? I mean look at it - around half of Gore Park is grass!

davidcappi
Apr 14, 2017, 12:19 AM
I've never understood the obsession so many North Americans have with grass.

Up until the 1950's, commercial grass seed was actually sold with a much more diverse mix of plants such as sod, clover, white clover and other green filler. These lawns seemed to do much better under natural conditions than pure sod lawns. Once commercial herbicides were introduced, marketers pushed these other plants as weeds, something to be rid of. The result is a lawn that requires way more maintenance. The city would be wise to toss some clover seed on those grass patches, or they're going to require sooooo much water come summer. Would have been nice to see some more planting beds/trees.

Dr Awesomesauce
Apr 14, 2017, 12:54 AM
^You betcha.

Imagine if we took all that wasted time we spend mowing the lawn and apply that to something productive. What a world it would be!

Chronamut
Apr 14, 2017, 3:21 AM

I miss the trees :(

the grass is because the area farthest away is for memorial and veteran activity and they wanted a place where they could do their enactments and whatnot.. and the part closest is for concerts I believe, hence the seating

Dr Awesomesauce
Apr 14, 2017, 12:24 PM
^I'll take your word for it.

I don't see why either of those activities would require grass, however.

realcity
Apr 14, 2017, 4:11 PM
Won't the LRT take them to Gage Park? Where they can frollick in all the grass they want.

HamiltonBoyInToronto
Apr 14, 2017, 5:03 PM
i dont mind the grass .. but maybe a few pathways through it and some shrubs or bushes ?

Chronamut
Apr 14, 2017, 8:35 PM
some views of gore park from the past - gore park used to have massive trees which were all cut down over time..

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/75/b9/e3/75b9e3c7c2b21deeb45f63f484bb806a.jpg
hmm I wonder what became of the second fountain in the distance in this pic?

http://www.nflibrary.ca/nfplindex/data/6/0/295260-557399.jpg

http://www.hpl.ca/sites/default/files/styles/portrait/public/L_History_5313_32022194807844.jpg?itok=bvLNhPkk

https://www.raisethehammer.org/static/images/kyles_gore_park_queen_victoria_statue_in_history.jpg

http://media.zuza.com/5/1/51f693bb-270c-4576-9dbe-3b8f57ed7812/Gore-Park-1967___Gallery.jpg

http://tourismhamilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Gore-Park-Fountain-12.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/40/22/f3/4022f3799afcba903c445dc0c7ab4687.jpg

Berklon
Apr 15, 2017, 1:33 AM
I have to admit - the trees gave it a more intimate and romantic look.

Dr Awesomesauce
Apr 15, 2017, 1:47 AM
i dont mind the grass .. but maybe a few pathways through it and some shrubs or bushes ?

Yeah, that's my issue more than the grass itself. It just seems like there's all this grass and then these narrow little paths through it. And that grass isn't going to get used much, so then what's the point?

Rg2016
Apr 15, 2017, 1:47 AM
I have to admit - the trees gave it a more intimate and romantic look.

Im pretty sure they'll put lrt stop there, and it will feel like Dundas Square Toronto :)

matt602
Apr 15, 2017, 4:26 PM
I really miss the trees too but I realize that there's not much the city could have done with them being as infested as they were. In 15-20 years when the newly planted ones mature, it should look amazing again.

hamilton23
Apr 20, 2017, 6:31 PM
Phase 2 is now just over 80% Sold.

First residences have moved in

realcity
Apr 20, 2017, 8:20 PM
I want Phase 3