PDA

View Full Version : Royal Connaught Hotel | ? | 36 fl, 33 fl, 24 fl & 13 fl | U/C

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

hammerton
Jun 8, 2014, 2:17 AM
We waited from 9:00AM to 11:00 in line despite having a "VIP" pass. It was quite evident that they were not letting people in on purpose to create a spectacle/buzz/whatever you want to call it. I can see a picture of the line up being on the front page of the Spec or part of a promotional video.

The price is somewhere in the neighbourhood of $400 /sqft and maintainence is $.42 /sqft/month. A parking spot is 27.5k. Add in taxes, land transfer and the fact that when the other phases get built you will be looking striaght into someone elses window (plus years of construction dust and noise)...... as awesome as the lobby is, what they did by making people wait outside was slightly underhanded but not out of the ordinary for Spallaci who from what I hear is quite the shark. I'll pass and spend 1/2 mil somewhere else.

CaptainKirk
Jun 8, 2014, 6:17 PM
It was quite evident that they were not letting people in on purpose to create a spectacle/buzz/whatever you want to call it. I can see a picture of the line up being on the front page of the Spec or part of a promotional video.

Disagree. I waited in the VIP line as well. I overheard staff talking about a certain amount of buyers allowed in at one time so they can get the full effect of the presentation.

Having gone in, I appreciated the fact that it was not packed. It was a very enjoyable buying experience to having lots of space and opportunity to see the model suite, other features and talk with staff.

It was top notch professional service that included coffee service (even orders taken and deliveries made to those waiting outside in line) to the high quality, substantial and expensive promotional books.

I was impressed.

Zmonkey
Jun 9, 2014, 2:18 PM
I was there with a few people as well, all part of the VIP. We Waited for about an hour before being let it, one of the people I was with purchased a 1 bedroom, with parking as an investment. She is a dentist, has investment properties already and has tied to McMaster so I'm sure thatis how she will try torrent out. But IMO way to expensive, about 275k for 600 sq feet with parking, her lawyer is going over contract and she has the 10 day to get out.

Was fully blown away by how nice the set up and professionalism was for the selling and builder group, knew a lot, amazing finishes, hopefully this goes well and really adds to the downtown core. When we were leaving it looked like 35-40 units of the 115 were sold out. We saw one guy buy 3.

CaptainKirk
Jun 9, 2014, 5:12 PM
I was there with a few people as well, all part of the VIP. We Waited for about an hour before being let it, one of the people I was with purchased a 1 bedroom, with parking as an investment. She is a dentist, has investment properties already and has tied to McMaster so I'm sure thatis how she will try torrent out. But IMO way to expensive, about 275k for 600 sq feet with parking, her lawyer is going over contract and she has the 10 day to get out.

Was fully blown away by how nice the set up and professionalism was for the selling and builder group, knew a lot, amazing finishes, hopefully this goes well and really adds to the downtown core. When we were leaving it looked like 35-40 units of the 115 were sold out. We saw one guy buy 3.

Any idea what rent would be for a 275k purchase?

Jon Dalton
Jun 9, 2014, 8:50 PM
I hope this doesn't turn into Hamilton's own condo bubble. Maybe I'm missing some details but I think you would have to be crazy to buy a $275,000 condo in Hamilton as an investment property. You can buy a duplexed house for less than $200K here already rented and gross up to to $2000 a month. No condo fees, just do basic upkeep. How much can you rent a 1 bedroom condo for?

CaptainKirk
Jun 9, 2014, 9:21 PM
I hope this doesn't turn into Hamilton's own condo bubble. Maybe I'm missing some details but I think you would have to be crazy to buy a $275,000 condo in Hamilton as an investment property. You can buy a duplexed house for less than $200K here already rented and gross up to to $2000 a month. No condo fees, just do basic upkeep. How much can you rent a 1 bedroom condo for?

I heard some city square condos get $2,000/month, and condo fees are probably less than some expenses when you add in property taxes, roof, snow removal, landscaping et al.

I think they're comparable with condos being virtually zero maintenance/headaches. (when new)

hammerton
Jun 10, 2014, 9:15 AM
I heard some city square condos get $2,000/month, and condo fees are probably less than some expenses when you add in property taxes, roof, snow removal, landscaping et al.

I think they're comparable with condos being virtually zero maintenance/headaches. (when new)

Let's say 1,000 sqft condo at $400k, based on above rental income $2000 -1500 mortgage -400 maintenance -300 property taxes and you're already out of pocket every month.
This doesn't include a parking space for the tenant, insurance, hydro, cable, internet or anything renters expect. You are one scratch on the fancy floor or a 1% increase in your mortgage from it being a total disaster.

I hope I am wrong though and this becomes an awesome investment and real estate values keep climbing for the buyers and it sparks a complete revolution for Downtown and everyone is happy.

Beedok
Jun 10, 2014, 11:46 AM
This doesn't include a parking space for the tenant, insurance, hydro, cable, internet or anything renters expect.

Finding a place that includes hydro, cable, and internet when apartment hunting is a miracle. Especially hydro. (Unless maybe I'm not used to the luxury $2000 a month apartments and they're a different story from the <$1000 a month ones I'm used to, but based off my experience with hotels it seems the higher the base rate the more other things you also have to pay for.)

Berklon
Jun 10, 2014, 2:26 PM
Finding a place that includes hydro, cable, and internet when apartment hunting is a miracle. Especially hydro. (Unless maybe I'm not used to the luxury $2000 a month apartments and they're a different story from the <$1000 a month ones I'm used to, but based off my experience with hotels it seems the higher the base rate the more other things you also have to pay for.)

My brother lives in a decent apartment in a nice area and is paying $850 a month and hydro is included (not cable/internet though).

hammerton
Jun 11, 2014, 3:19 AM
My brother lives in a decent apartment in a nice area and is paying $850 a month and hydro is included (not cable/internet though).

Exactly! Further, my dad's newish condo in Burlington includes hydro and basic cable in maintenance which btw is less than the last 4 new developments in lower Hamilton (Aberdeen/Dundurn, City Square, Connaught, Bella).

The maintenance fees that new buildings in Hamilton are charging are outlandish.

You would need to be able to charge $3000 a month to make the Connaught a good rental investment.

thomax
Jun 11, 2014, 9:23 PM
djVrqo0zn6o

HamiltonBoyInToronto
Jun 12, 2014, 6:26 PM
I think everyone is forgetting that "Investment Property" doesn't only mean "rental Property" .... many people who purchase at pre-construction prices will sell when the building is built and inhabited.... prices should be on the rise as the project moves along .

hammerton
Jun 13, 2014, 12:30 PM
I think everyone is forgetting that "Investment Property" doesn't only mean "rental Property" ....

True, it doesn't only mean rental property, but it is one aspect to look at to guage value for your investment -- all else equal hypothetically what can I make if I were to rent out.

many people who purchase at pre-construction prices will sell when the building is built and inhabited.... prices should be on the rise as the project moves along .

You've got multiple phases at Connaught, 150 Main with multiple phases, 3 buildings on James in various stages. Lots of competition out there just to have to make up for the 5% agents charge for the sale and the interest you are being charged on the mortgage or if you are a cash buyer the opportunity cost.

CaptainKirk
Jun 13, 2014, 1:36 PM
... 3 buildings on James in various stages.

4, if you count Acclamation. And don't forget Bay N.

Also heard that Core Urban has a downtown lot that they want to develop into condos. I don't know location or any details.

bigguy1231
Jun 13, 2014, 8:27 PM
Royal Connaught Hotel | ? | 36 fl, 33 fl, 24 fl & 11 fl Proposal |

Since they are selling units and work is taking place can the banner now be changed to under construction.

LikeHamilton
Jul 29, 2014, 5:51 PM
From a couple of people who are well connected and usually don't make things up.They have told me that the Connaught 1st phase is 90% sold out.

Hope it is true!

interr0bangr
Jul 29, 2014, 7:39 PM
From a couple of people who are well connected and usually don't make things up.They have told me that the Connaught 1st phase is 90% sold out.

Hope it is true!

Really impressive if true. Bring on phase 2!

King&James
Jul 29, 2014, 9:39 PM
RC has the name and marketing, but 150 Main W is moving faster, wonder if RC will catch up if fully financed by the locked in purchasers.

davidcappi
Jul 30, 2014, 1:04 AM
I guess phase 1 of the Connaught includes an extension of the building along John. Looks good. Can't wait to see work start.

matt602
Jul 30, 2014, 5:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if thats true. With that renovated lobby and the aggressive marketing they've been doing, it's more than possible.

davidcappi
Aug 7, 2014, 8:26 PM
Talked to a sales rep in the lobby today. Their goal for timeline and construction is to start in November, with sales starting on the second phase in the spring.

She also said the majority of work will be done on the addition to the first phase, as seen here:

http://s22.postimg.org/6o9ss1ssx/webm.jpg

masterwhite
Aug 26, 2014, 6:24 PM
The floor plans are terrible, their biggest units are in the wrong place of the building. Hope the next phases are better

ScreamingViking
Aug 26, 2014, 7:55 PM
The floor plans are terrible, their biggest units are in the wrong place of the building. Hope the next phases are better

How so? And where are the larger ones?

Could it be they're more limited in terms of what they can do (for reasonable cost) in the older tower?

interr0bangr
Aug 27, 2014, 1:08 PM
Is there a clear breakdown of the different project "phases" somewhere online? The official site is useless. Is the new, separate tower on the Main St. lot phase 2?

ScreamingViking
Aug 28, 2014, 3:32 AM
Is there a clear breakdown of the different project "phases" somewhere online? The official site is useless. Is the new, separate tower on the Main St. lot phase 2?

From CHCH (http://www.chch.com/royal-connaught-unveiling/):
Ted Valeri: “The stone part of the building is our phase one, the brick portion is our phase two.”

The plan is to erect three condo towers in the empty lots around the Connaught — an eventual 700 units.

It's my understanding that phase 1 includes the addition on the John St. side. I would guess the phasing of the new towers along Catharine and Main will depend on sales.

matt602
Aug 28, 2014, 6:52 AM
/nitpick: there's no stone in the construction of the royal connaught

Dr Awesomesauce
Aug 28, 2014, 12:14 PM
^Yeah, what a weird thing to say.

markbarbera
Aug 28, 2014, 4:40 PM
I believe the original wing at the west end of the hotel at King and John (the white half) has a stone facade. The east wing's facade is brick with stone accent treatments. Phase one is refurbishment of the west wing, along with construction of the new podium on John Street.

davidcappi
Aug 28, 2014, 5:53 PM
I'm excited to see the podium on John Street go up. It'll be years before that tower starts, but the new facade will do a lot to make that part of downtown feel bigger and grander.

ScreamingViking
Aug 29, 2014, 3:07 AM
I believe the original wing at the west end of the hotel at King and John (the white half) has a stone facade. The east wing's facade is brick with stone accent treatments. Phase one is refurbishment of the west wing, along with construction of the new podium on John Street.

I'm pretty sure it's stone too.

It's not the original wing though - the eastern half opened in 1916, while the west side went up in 1931.

Dr Awesomesauce
Aug 29, 2014, 11:21 AM
I'm pretty sure that it's just the ground floor that's stone and the rest of it's brick > both buildings.

ScreamingViking
Aug 29, 2014, 12:31 PM
http://www.directoryofhamilton.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/theroyalconnaughthotel.jpg
Source (http://www.directoryofhamilton.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/theroyalconnaughthotel.jpg)

This one shows it better:
http://www.homesinhamiltonontario.com/account/2b7e81c6291f26fe/pages/134198_6.png
Source (http://www.homesinhamiltonontario.com/account/2b7e81c6291f26fe/pages/134198_6.png)

I believe the backside is just brick though.

Dr Awesomesauce
Aug 29, 2014, 12:57 PM
Not to belabour this further but...

If you look closely, that's white or cream-coloured brick above the ground floor. There's stone trim, yes, but it's not a completely stone facade.

masterwhite
Aug 29, 2014, 2:19 PM
How so? And where are the larger ones?

Could it be they're more limited in terms of what they can do (for reasonable cost) in the older tower?

larger units are on the lower floors in the 2nd phase that is facing john st BUT the units are not facing the street and will have terrible view of the back of the complex.

CaptainKirk
Aug 30, 2014, 3:24 AM
According to their website, phase II faces King and Catharine and there are no floor plans available yet.

From there website...

There are 3 units over 1,000 sq ft. 1 faces King St, 1 faces john St., the other, in the new tower has a large balcony facing a beautiful courtyard, and 2 of them are found on the 4th through 11th floors.

http://www.royalconnaught.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/QUEENSTON-PRINT-2.jpg
http://www.royalconnaught.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/QUEENSTON-PRINT-3.jpg

http://www.royalconnaught.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ABERDEEN-PRINT-2.jpg
http://www.royalconnaught.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/ABERDEEN-PRINT-3.jpg

http://www.royalconnaught.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/YORK-PRINT-2.jpg
http://www.royalconnaught.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/YORK-PRINT-3.jpg

http://www.royalconnaught.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/RC_Rooftop_Terrace.jpg

ScreamingViking
Sep 2, 2014, 11:01 PM
Not to belabour this further but...

If you look closely, that's white or cream-coloured brick above the ground floor. There's stone trim, yes, but it's not a completely stone facade.

I was picturing stone in my mind. I stand corrected. :cheers: (you can see it on streetview - the vertical elements from 4th floor up; not sure about the crown)

Re: the planned courtyard, that's a nice touch.

Dr Awesomesauce
Sep 2, 2014, 11:55 PM
This is the most exciting project that almost nobody's talking about. Maybe it's all the false starts. Wake me when it's finished is likely what most people are saying. Looks sexy.

Twoscents
Sep 4, 2014, 4:22 PM
This is the most exciting project that almost nobody's talking about. Maybe it's all the false starts. Wake me when it's finished is likely what most people are saying. Looks sexy.

Have these guys built condos in Hamilton before?

king10
Sep 4, 2014, 5:01 PM
Have these guys built condos in Hamilton before?

Valery built the condos at upper wentworth and stone church. Spalacci has built one on barton street around wellington. They've probably built more, those are just two off the top of my head. Most of their developments are in the Hamilton area.

urban_planner
Sep 4, 2014, 6:36 PM
Valery built the condos at upper wentworth and stone church. Spalacci has built one on barton street around wellington. They've probably built more, those are just two off the top of my head. Most of their developments are in the Hamilton area.

Is the Valery building at upper Wentworth and stone church condos? I thought they were rentals?

Also Spalacci built the high rise beside Denningers on King Street just west of wellington.

matt602
Sep 4, 2014, 8:44 PM
None of the Spalacci projects mentioned are condo's, they're all rentals.

Davis137
Sep 14, 2014, 5:34 PM
I really hope that they actually do all of this, and don't cheap out either. The RC still has a lot of nostalgia and history to it, and it would be great if they could get people motivated about downtown again by making this place into one that people WANT to live in, especially people from out of town.

CaptainKirk
Sep 15, 2014, 12:19 AM
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4860085--the-atmosphere-made-you-feel-like-royalty-/

Residences at Royal Connaught developers Rudi Spallacci and Ted Valeri expect to make an announcement about a construction date in October.

They will also release 18 penthouse units for sale sometime soon.

The two say they are "ecstatic" about sales so far, though they decline to give specific numbers. They do say they are well beyond the 60 per cent sales mark that is the typical threshold to begin construction.

"It's beyond what I expected," said Valeri.

They say traffic through their sales office has been steady since there were lineups around the block on the opening weekend in June. The first phase of the project — the western portion of the existing building — is 122 units, but plans call for a total of 700 units in three new towers and about 13,000 square feet of retail on King and Catharine streets.

The partners acknowledge they feel the heat of the spotlight on the project, but they are encouraged by other signs of renewal and investment in the downtown, including Supercrawl.

"We are extremely happy with what we are seeing," said Spallacci.

The floor plans, ranging from 555 square feet to 1,049 square feet are named after Hamilton streets: York, MacNab, Aberdeen, Queenston, Sherman, Victoria, among them.

thomax
Oct 20, 2014, 9:47 PM
"LAST CHANCE 70% SOLD OUT, and Phase I construction starting soon."

- facebook.com/TheResidencesOfRoyalConnaught (https://www.facebook.com/TheResidencesOfRoyalConnaught/photos/a.337914616313664.67648.334398006665325/593710724067384/?type=1&relevant_count=1)

SteelTown
Oct 21, 2014, 11:12 PM
Royal Connaught construction to begin in a month

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4926403-royal-connaught-construction-to-begin-in-a-month/

Pre-sales at the Royal Connaught have hit 70 per cent and work crews should begin construction in about a month.

Developers Rudi Spallacci and Ted Valeri said they are more than pleased with the sales and are confident it's the right time to start work on converting the iconic former hotel into condos.

"We are ahead of our targets," said Spallacci. "We feel very confident about the sales. We're a little ahead of where we thought we would be."

Sales began in early June.

Getting the work crews lined up and on site will take some time, and there is some minor demolition and cleanup to do. Then construction can begin on 122 units in the western portion of the Gore Park building that opened in 1916.

The condos, ranging from 555 to 1,060 square feet and priced from $242,990 to $420,900, are named after Hamilton streets including York, MacNab, Aberdeen, Queenston, Sherman and Victoria.

Valeri said the finishing touches on the final designs for 18 penthouse suites should be completed in the next few days.

"There seems to be some urgency in people coming in to the sales centre," said Spallacci. "They are disappointed when a particular unit is sold out and they ask when the next phase is coming out."

The second phase, for the eastern half of the building, will go on sale in the new year, they said. Future phases include three glass towers for a total of 700 units.

Beedok
Oct 21, 2014, 11:21 PM
Glad to see the old part filling up. Even if it's just the historic portion being saved it's a substantial boost to the area. When the towers go up it will be a major change.

SteelTown
Jan 28, 2015, 11:21 PM
And construction begins! According to CHCH construction started today. 80% of units has been sold.

SteelTown
Jan 29, 2015, 4:54 PM
Turning the corner: Royal Connaught’s renaissance begins

Hamilton Spectator
By Steve Arnold
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5291040-turning-the-corner-royal-connaught-s-renaissance-begins/

Hammers are hammering and saws are sawing as construction work finally gets underway on the revival of the Royal Connaught.

The developers who will turn the downtown dowager from a long-abandoned hotel into a new condo tower cleared the final city planning hurdles at the end of December and started work on the project this week.

"We are finally able to start our revival of this historic building," developer Rudi Spallacci said in an interview Wednesday. "We are going to bring this building into the modern age."

Spallacci and partner Ted Valeri were part of a group that purchased the former hotel in 2004 and later became the sole owners.

Their plan calls for 700 condo units on the site built in multiple phases involving the old hotel and in three new towers on the site. The units will range between 555 and 1,060 square feet and sell for between $242,990 and $420,900. The condos are named after Hamilton streets including York, MacNab, Aberdeen, Queenston, Sherman and Victoria.

Sales began last June and about 80 per cent of the 122 units in the first phase have already been sold. The full plan also calls for 13,000 square feet of retail space in the area of King and Catharine streets.

The first phase build will focus on the western portion of the Connaught property, originally built in 1946. Those are expected to be ready for occupancy in the middle of next year. Presales of units in the eastern part of the building originally built in 1916 will start soon.

Spallacci and Valeri both believe the revival of the Connaught will be the spark that ignites a broader rebirth of Hamilton's core.

"I think we're on the brink of the transformation of downtown Hamilton," Valeri said. "Hopefully this is going to kick-start everything else."

They're already seeing signs of that revival.

"There's already a flowering of activity around us," Valeri said. "The real estate around us is being sold and rented. It's like people have been waiting for this project for the last 20 years."

Glen Norton, the city's director of urban renewal, agrees the Connaught's revival is already sparking new life.

"The fact they're moving ahead with a viable plan and built a sales centre in the lobby gave people the confidence to make decisions about properties downtown," he said.

As examples, he notes plans to turn the former Hamilton Spectator building across the street from the Connaught into a Ping-Pong bar, shared workspace and rooftop garden facility, work to revive the former Joe Buttinsky's pub, and the arrival of a new Coffee Culture store in a city building on King Street.

"Decisions are being made and stores are investing in the storefronts," Norton said. "I take these all as signs that people are confident the Connaught project is moving ahead."

ScreamingViking
Jan 30, 2015, 4:57 AM
Nice. See it through boys.

king10
Jan 30, 2015, 5:46 AM
Interesting about the Ping Pong bar. Theres one in toronto called Spin. They servce food and alcoholic beverages. Hot spot for business meetings and socials.

http://toronto.spingalactic.com

It would be cool to have downtown.

Nice to see they are starting pre sales for the eastern portion of the hotel as well. Simply having the original two buildings renovated and fully occupied is great for the core. Any additional towers built is just gravy.

SteelTown
Jan 30, 2015, 1:55 PM
^ I've been to Spin in TO. It was fun, only problem was after a few drinks I almost had a twisted ankle falling on those damn balls on the floor lol.

Davis137
Feb 8, 2015, 6:27 AM
I am amazed that this is actually starting to happen. Downtown Hamilton will perhaps become vibrant once again. I wonder if the influx of more people living closeby will spur more business for Jackson Square...

King&James
Feb 8, 2015, 3:58 PM
Do we get to have the thread title change to u/c ! Awesome project, a real keystone for the East side of downtown.

King&James
Feb 14, 2015, 4:17 PM
RC steals front Page of Homes Section of National Post today. Should help propel some additional sales for sure

thistleclub
Feb 18, 2015, 12:25 AM
Hamilton's Royal Connaught condo development helps Steeltown steal the spotlight (http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/17/hamiltons-royal-connaught-condo-development-helps-steeltown-steal-the-spotlight/)
(National Post, Iris Benaroia, Feb 17 2015)

Hamilton has been poaching homebuyers from Toronto for years now — that’s hardly news. The Royal Connaught, the palatial hotel being converted into condominiums, is the latest draw.

The 13-storey building — flat-fronted and block-long, with a proper portico and double-storey arched windows — stands on Hamilton’s King Street like a dashing movie set for a Fitzgerald film. Now step into the vast, showy lobby with its 24-foot ceilings and five soaring columns.

Continue up the grand circular staircase to the mezzanine for a closeup of the leafy furrows encircling those columns (which took four months to restore) and get a better look at the original mouldings that are as thick as balance beams on the ceiling. All of this is spectacularly illuminated by three chandeliers made up of 895 crystals.

Built in 1916, The Royal Connaught (royalconnaught.com) is a throwback to a refined age. It’s a lobby that should be danced in. Its staircase should have Jazz Age dames swanning down in flapper dresses and men in waistcoats.

At one point it did have an illustrious guest list. Louis Armstrong, Pierre Trudeau, Liberace and others have bedded down at the downtown hotel, but for a decade it stood empty, falling into disrepair, until it was purchased in 2005 by the developers Ted Valeri of Valery Homes and Rudi Spallacci of Spallacci Group.

Mr. Valeri, who grew up in Hamilton, remembers the hotel fondly. “We used to stop here for chocolate sundaes after my parents or grandparents would pay the bills at the Union Gas building — this was prior to technology,” he says. Mr. Valeri’s dad, Clemente, started Valery Homes in the late 1950s, while Spallacci Group has been famiglia-run in Hamilton for two generations, so both builders have a deep connection to Steeltown.

The men say they joined forces because of the project’s magnitude. When the KNY Architects-designed multi-phase Royal Connaught is completely built out, the site will hold 700 suites. There will be a second phase within the historic east wing of the building, followed by plans for three new towers, which will be connected to the existing building by a seven-storey podium.

Construction has already begun on Phase 1, with prices ranging from the $200,000s to the mid-$400,000s (555 square feet to 850 sq. ft.). Phase 1 occupancy is expected for mid-2016.

The Penthouse Collection, consisting of 15 units, is priced from $446,990 for 555 square feet to $1,237,990 for 1,473 square feet. Occupying the top tiers of the historic building, these suites boast 16-foot ceilings and oversize windows that will reveal views of the lush escarpment to the south and the shimmering bay to the north....

Phase 1 is 80% sold, with 25% to 30% of purchasers coming from Toronto, people who are “starting to hear about the renaissance in Hamilton,” Mr. Spallacci says.

Read it in full here (http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/17/hamiltons-royal-connaught-condo-development-helps-steeltown-steal-the-spotlight/).

Technically something like 13 fl | U/C + 11 fl | Pending + 36 fl, 33 fl, 24 fl | Proposed but it's nice to see this moving toward completion.

They’ve apparently pared back the number of penthouse units on offer as well, from 18 (http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4860085--the-atmosphere-made-you-feel-like-royalty-/) to 15.

At this rate they should sell out the eastern half of the Connaught (Phase 2 (http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4454617-connaught-condos-kept-under-wraps-until-they-go-on-sale-in-june/), 95 units) by the time the western half (Phase 1, 122 units) is occupied.

Davis137
Feb 19, 2015, 3:33 AM
This project should have no problem kicking ass and taking names...

davidcappi
Apr 15, 2015, 9:26 PM
90% of phase one is sold, with 90% of those numbers being people from Hamilton. Exactly 50% of those numbers are seniors who haven't retired yet, and 50% are young adults aged 28-45

SteelTown
Apr 15, 2015, 10:02 PM
Have they sold the penthouses yet?

mattgrande
Apr 15, 2015, 10:03 PM
Wow, I'm surprised how many of the people are from Hamilton.

bigguy1231
Apr 16, 2015, 7:47 AM
Wow, I'm surprised how many of the people are from Hamilton.

Why would it be surprising. There's half a million people here, you would think that more than a couple of hundred may be looking for new accomodation at any one time.

oldcoote
Apr 16, 2015, 1:06 PM
Why would it be surprising. There's half a million people here, you would think that more than a couple of hundred may be looking for new accomodation at any one time.

Its surprising because Hamiltonians are traditionally pessimistic.

This is a sign that Hamiltonians are not only believing in the downtown renaissance, but investing in it as well.

ScreamingViking
Apr 17, 2015, 4:23 AM
Bodes well for the future phases. Bringing life back to half of the existing building is huge in and of itself, but the full redevelopment of that block will be an amazing step for the downtown.

thomax
May 8, 2015, 11:42 PM
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8730/17336019592_87cc1145e2_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/spVCDw)
Residences of the Royal Connaught Construction | April 29, 2015 (https://flic.kr/p/spVCDw) by .JCM. (https://www.flickr.com/people/11115747@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7765/17390405286_5624cd48bc_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/suJnBU)
Residences of the Royal Connaught Brick Removal & Construction | May 6, 2015 (https://flic.kr/p/suJnBU) by .JCM. (https://www.flickr.com/people/11115747@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8732/17416046211_7f31a4f7c0_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/swZMLP)
Residences of the Royal Connaught Brick Removal & Construction | May 6, 2015 (https://flic.kr/p/swZMLP) by .JCM. (https://www.flickr.com/people/11115747@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8750/16551991963_cb39264209_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rdDhxM)
Residences of the Royal Connaught Project Model & Restored Lobby | April 15, 2015 (https://flic.kr/p/rdDhxM) by .JCM. (https://www.flickr.com/people/11115747@N03/), on Flickr

Davis137
May 9, 2015, 2:28 AM
This place is going to be so awesome...and the towers will add some serious density to the area, including vertical presence...

LikeHamilton
May 11, 2015, 3:53 PM
From Twitter
HFD_Incidents wrote...
F15015393 | STRUCTURE FIRE | Loc: 0 Block KING ST E HAM @ JOHN ST S/CATHARINE ST N /CN:CONNAUGHT HOTEL (VACANT) | Units: 7 | 5/11/15 11:05

Hamilton firefighters respond to blaze at Royal Connaught

Cathie Coward/Hamilton Spectator

Seven fire-fighting units are responding to a blaze in downtown Hamilton at the Royal Connaught building.

The former hotel is in the process of being renovated as a condo unit.

John Street is closed between King and Main streets.

More to come

I can't be to big of a fire. They did not add any more units of upgrade it to a 2nd alarm.

The Gore
May 11, 2015, 5:47 PM
Station #1 is 160 m from the Connaught

matt602
May 11, 2015, 6:38 PM
Just a small fire on the roof that was extinguished before the fire department even got there.

thomax
May 29, 2015, 4:14 AM
http://i.imgur.com/zY70fm4.jpg
Residences of the Royal Connaught Construction - May 19, 2015 (https://twitter.com/royalbrickworks/status/600751591772135424) by royalbrickworks (https://twitter.com/royalbrickworks/status/600751591772135424), on Twitter

thomax
May 29, 2015, 5:23 AM
http://i.imgur.com/mi7ifqJ.jpg
Royal Connaught Construction - May 27, 2015 (https://instagram.com/p/3L_UQuHfen/) by marinitweet (https://instagram.com/p/3L_UQuHfen/), on Instagram

interr0bangr
May 29, 2015, 1:53 PM
They're in the process of fencing off a large portion of the parking lot with very sturdy posts.

Sucks for me because I've been cut through there every day on the way to the Go Train. :P

Davis137
May 30, 2015, 1:47 AM
Glad to see things are happening with this one!

thomax
Jun 1, 2015, 6:17 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7770/17628939784_71a1b248c3_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/sRNVBE)
Residences of the Royal Connaught Construction (https://flic.kr/p/sRNVBE) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8887/18063355628_9b01b628ca_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/twcqj1)
Residences of the Royal Connaught Construction (https://flic.kr/p/twcqj1) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

thomax
Jun 4, 2015, 3:02 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/480/17785108323_4c59a6d0fe_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/t6Bk5F)
Renovations Royal Connaught Hotel (https://flic.kr/p/t6Bk5F) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7784/18219532209_28de94980f_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/tKZSaF)
See-through Royal Connaught Hotel (https://flic.kr/p/tKZSaF) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7792/17783152504_7cc9df7d79_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/t6riFE)
Façade removal Royal Connaught Hotel (https://flic.kr/p/t6riFE) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8773/17785181033_1dc9f0e194_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/t6BGGi)
Façade removal Royal Connaught Hotel (https://flic.kr/p/t6BGGi) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8784/18379470106_948071e1db_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/u18A8C)
Façade removal Royal Connaught Hotel (https://flic.kr/p/u18A8C) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/272/18379500806_6c646cd4be_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/u18KfW)
Façade removal Royal Connaught Hotel (https://flic.kr/p/u18KfW) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

ScreamingViking
Jun 4, 2015, 3:55 AM
This was what was underneath, and won't be the final facade, but it looks very cool like this.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8784/18379470106_948071e1db_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/u18A8C)
Façade removal Royal Connaught Hotel (https://flic.kr/p/u18A8C) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

davidcappi
Jun 4, 2015, 6:23 AM
I wonder if they're doing construction on phase 1 & 2 at the same time. They might as well, plus it won't be hard to pre-sell units that are almost complete.

matt602
Jun 4, 2015, 2:24 PM
They're doing a lot more demo work than I thought they would be doing, considering they won't be constructing any new buildings for at least a few years. Kinda makes me wonder if they've accelerated their timeline on that.

CaptainKirk
Jun 4, 2015, 3:41 PM
Heard floors 1 and 2 are finished and that they're working on all the other floors now.

LikeHamilton
Jun 4, 2015, 6:09 PM
Part of the first phase is the parking garage for both phases. It is going under the whole building one or two floors (I forgot how many) and up 4 floors at the rear of the building. Then the rest of the building will be an extension of the condo part built above the parking garage. This was the area where the old ballrooms were located.

Nice to see that it looks like they are keeping the facade.

thomax
Jun 14, 2015, 2:58 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8851/18568529539_81f8cffe78_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/uhQyV2)
Royal Connaught Ballroom Demolition - June 12, 2015 (https://flic.kr/p/uhQyV2) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

interr0bangr
Jun 14, 2015, 4:19 AM
I find it super irritating that they've pretty much blocked off the entire sidewalk on John and King. In Toronto, you put up a covered walkway so the sidewalk is still usable and you can still get your shit done safely. Why they can literally shut down full blocks when they're simply renovating is insane.

Beedok
Jun 14, 2015, 1:59 PM
I find it super irritating that they've pretty much blocked off the entire sidewalk on John and King. In Toronto, you put up a covered walkway so the sidewalk is still usable and you can still get your shit done safely. Why they can literally shut down full blocks when they're simply renovating is insane.

From what I've seen in Ottawa there's different responses to different set ups. The same project can switch between a covered walkway and a shut down sidewalk a few times as the needs change.

king10
Jun 14, 2015, 3:40 PM

To call this a simple renovation doesn't give the project justice.

you can see they need a boom lift to restore the facade as its there in one of the pictures and it needs access to the sidewalk. New builds may not need access to the ground level sidewalk like Reno's do.

A couple of years of a closed sidewalk is a small price to pay for the renovation of one of Hamilton's most historic landmarks.

ScreamingViking
Jun 14, 2015, 4:10 PM
I think you're right - they need that space for access.

I suppose they could have closed off a lane to move pedestrians off the sidewalk, but it's a short stretch of street. Perhaps the safety risks were deemed high as well, given the amount of material they're removing and potential of something big falling during the work.

interr0bangr
Jun 15, 2015, 2:15 PM
They do renovations in Toronto all the time without blocking off entire blocks. I walk through King/Spadina every day and they've been renovating the NW corner for months while pedestrians can walk through. God forbid the Connaught would have to park the boom lift in the front of the building when it's not in use and let people walk though.

Obviously I'm excited for the work that's happening I just wish pedestrians were respected more around town.

king10
Jun 15, 2015, 2:18 PM
They do renovations in Toronto all the time without blocking off entire blocks. I walk through King/Spadina every day and they've been renovating the NW corner for months while pedestrians can walk through. God forbid the Connaught would have to park the boom lift in the front of the building when it's not in use and let people walk though.

Obviously I'm excited for the work that's happening I just wish pedestrians were respected more around town.

But that still doesn't address the issue that the boom needs to maneuver the sidewalk while its in use. If you build scaffolding over the sidewalk to protect the pedestrians like they do in toronto the boom does not have access to the sidewalk. And if you dont build protective scaffolding and simply park the boom somehwere else when not in use, you run the risk of loose material falling from the facade and thats not eaxctly respecting pedestrians.

Every project is different. To say Toronto does things this way is a generalization. I'm sure there are projects in Toronto where sidewalks are closed as well.

king10
Jun 15, 2015, 2:26 PM
I think you're right - they need that space for access.

I suppose they could have closed off a lane to move pedestrians off the sidewalk, but it's a short stretch of street. Perhaps the safety risks were deemed high as well, given the amount of material they're removing and potential of something big falling during the work.

This is eactly what they did for the reno of the building at james and york. Different situations for different projects.

thomax
Jun 19, 2015, 9:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LvIoMn2.jpg
Royal Connaught Condo Conversion - June 19, 2015 (https://instagram.com/p/4Hh5z8rCet/) by moonand6 (https://instagram.com/p/4Hh5z8rCet/), on Instagram

thomax
Jun 22, 2015, 1:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ayTzsyy.jpg
Royal Connaught Construction - June 22, 2015 (https://instagram.com/p/4N6xOaLYlU/) by mansleyy (https://instagram.com/p/4N6xOaLYlU/), on Instagram

ScreamingViking
Jun 27, 2015, 9:11 PM
Nice to see the progress - thanks for the photo updates.

I was driving along Wilson last weekend, and glancing southward it was very weird to see natural light coming through the Connaught's north-facing windows.

davidcappi
Jun 27, 2015, 10:29 PM
From Insta user Joe Dee

http://s1.postimg.org/ym1a19hkv/Screen_Shot_2015_06_27_at_6_29_45_PM.png

realcity
Jun 29, 2015, 3:17 AM
Talked to a sales rep in the lobby today. Their goal for timeline and construction is to start in November, with sales starting on the second phase in the spring.

She also said the majority of work will be done on the addition to the first phase, as seen here:

http://s22.postimg.org/6o9ss1ssx/webm.jpg

I absolutely love architectural models. These looks awesome. I hope the Phase 2-4 is not just a tease. It would look great on Gore Park and Main canyon.

LikeHamilton
Jun 29, 2015, 3:40 AM
From what I remember about the original plans, this part of the construction is to put 1 and possibly 2 (I forget exactly which) levels of parking under the whole building. Then the new structure will have 4 levels of parking with the rest of the building being condos. This was the part of the building that house the banquet rooms for the hotel.

thomax
Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/319/19064330259_8baca408d4_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/v3DFci)
Royal Connaught Hotel Condo Conversion - June 26, 2015 (https://flic.kr/p/v3DFci) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/359/18627951224_8ede0522a1_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/uo67UQ)
Royal Connaught Hotel Condo Conversion - June 26, 2015 (https://flic.kr/p/uo67UQ) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

thomax
Jul 5, 2015, 8:20 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/514/19222405059_e00c05da20_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/vhBRjT)
Royal Connaught Condo Conversion | July 3, 2015 (https://flic.kr/p/vhBRjT) by Joe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/), on Flickr

matt602
Jul 5, 2015, 9:52 PM
I'm starting to wonder how much of the building they'll actually be keeping...

ScreamingViking
Jul 6, 2015, 2:56 AM
I would guess that aside from the basic floor structure and the west, north and east facades, most everything else will be new.

No loss on the backside of the building - it was never attractive. The west section will be getting the addition, and the east will eventually be facing the towers proposed for the next phases.

LikeHamilton
Jul 6, 2015, 5:31 PM
I'm starting to wonder how much of the building they'll actually be keeping...

There is nothing left inside the building. It was gutted by the previous owners and all they left was the walls, floors and the roof.

king10
Jul 6, 2015, 5:54 PM
There is nothing left inside the building. It was gutted by the previous owners and all they left was the walls, floors and the roof.

what the interior of the building looked like in Spring 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwu6wcNcEkg

Mwu6wcNcEkg

LikeHamilton
Jul 6, 2015, 6:17 PM
what the interior of the building looked like in Spring 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwu6wcNcEkg

Mwu6wcNcEkg

The building was gutted about 7 or 8 years ago except the lobby and mezzanine level. The city gave them a grant under the asbestos remove program to do this. This video was shot on the mezzanine level. This is where the present owners built the presentation centre and models units.

markbarbera
Jul 6, 2015, 7:25 PM
Interesting this talk about previous owners and present owners, as if they were two separate entities. For all intents and purposes, the property never transitioned to completely new owners. The two present owners were two of the five previous owners. They held a second mortgage on the place and called the loan on it in 2010, which forced it into bankruptcy, ultimately squeezing the others out and leaving Valery and Spalacci as the 'new' owners.