PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Transit

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

HillStreetBlues
Jun 8, 2015, 1:30 PM
MacNab? Why MacNab? Why not Hunter? How will they connect MacNab to the station? So many questions...

Presumably it has to be MacNab and then Hunter, since MacNab is two blocks west of the station.

Is this just to serve (justify?) the MacNab terminal? James or Hughson would be much better. It must be because MacNab is not useful for vehicular traffic, but not is Hughson. We could have a pedestrianized route from the James/King (or Main...) LRT station and the Gore to the Go Station.

The only reason I might be in favour of this routing is because MacNab is designed Franz Liszt Avenue through there: maybe we could further honour him somehow if this is where the "pedestrian link" is put.

davidcappi
Jun 8, 2015, 1:52 PM
Anyone want to get a screengrab of that plan in the article? I'm out of free views :P

markbarbera
Jun 8, 2015, 3:02 PM
This is a bad attempt to try to make MacNab terminal an inter-modal hub rather than the lame-duck terminal it currently is. It really is nothing more than a turnaround point for mountain buses.

If anyone had any good transit sense, the idea of a terminal at MacNab should have been abandoned when it was due for a rebuild a few years ago. Instead of rebuilding it at MacNab and King, it should have been placed along Hughson between Main and Hunter, Why have a needlessly long pedestrian connection from MacNab and King to Hunter and James when it could have been centrally located on Hughson where it would be within one block of the nearly every HSR, GO Transit, and all other inter-city bus route that serves the city.

Perhaps this is another opportunity to correct a bad layout rather than simply accepting another duct tape fix.

SteelTown
Jun 8, 2015, 5:22 PM
Anyone want to get a screengrab of that plan in the article? I'm out of free views :P

Can't really see it well, itty bitty.
http://media.zuza.com/b/6/b6baeb0d-cc7d-4131-a7e3-2ed99620f913/B821988197Z.1_20150607223248_000_G321GB1HR.2_Content.jpg

MalcolmTucker
Jun 8, 2015, 5:36 PM
The image quality in the paper itself was pretty awful:
http://i.imgur.com/SXgz5Z2.png
Source: Hamilton Spectator via: http://library.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

ScreamingViking
Jun 8, 2015, 7:01 PM
This "early concept" doesn't make the best sense IMO, even if the planners are thinking they can maximize access to both GO and the HSR's main downtown transfer node. The pedestrian corridor should be as direct as possible to be the most useful. MacNab and Hunter to the GO Centre is nearly twice the distance of a Hughson link, depending on where the B-Line stations will be (personally I think a station at Gore Park and a station at Bay St. would be best, rather than a single station in the core). And the main idea is to connect the LRT to the GO station.

This is an opportunity to plan creatively rather than trying to make piecemeal changes to what exists today. Instead of making the LRT fit into the HSR system, the HSR system needs to be organized to fit the LRT, as well as the future expanded GO services.

E.g., what if Hunter was made two-way, with bus stops under continuous canopies along both sides? No more on-street parking, but direct local bus access can be improved. They don't even have to stop using MacNab -- buses that terminate there can still do so, with route adjustments to make a stop on Hunter as well.

HillStreetBlues
Jun 8, 2015, 7:46 PM
This "early concept" doesn't make the best sense IMO, even if the planners are thinking they can maximize access to both GO and the HSR's main downtown transfer node. The pedestrian corridor should be as direct as possible to be the most useful. MacNab and Hunter to the GO Centre is nearly twice the distance of a Hughson link, depending on where the B-Line stations will be (personally I think a station at Gore Park and a station at Bay St. would be best, rather than a single station in the core). And the main idea is to connect the LRT to the GO station.

This is an opportunity to plan creatively rather than trying to make piecemeal changes to what exists today. Instead of making the LRT fit into the HSR system, the HSR system needs to be organized to fit the LRT, as well as the future expanded GO services.

E.g., what if Hunter was made two-way, with bus stops under continuous canopies along both sides? No more on-street parking, but direct local bus access can be improved. They don't even have to stop using MacNab -- buses that terminate there can still do so, with route adjustments to make a stop on Hunter as well.

I think your ideas about Hunter is a great one, but we really would have to stop using MacNab in that case. There’s nothing wrong with that- we should be able to admit if it no longer fits. If we do as you suggest with Hunter and turn it into a local bus hub right adjacent to the Go station- and accessible to an LRT station via a pedestrian connection- that’s much better than what could be done with MacNab.

ScreamingViking
Jun 8, 2015, 9:49 PM
I think your ideas about Hunter is a great one, but we really would have to stop using MacNab in that case. There’s nothing wrong with that- we should be able to admit if it no longer fits. If we do as you suggest with Hunter and turn it into a local bus hub right adjacent to the Go station- and accessible to an LRT station via a pedestrian connection- that’s much better than what could be done with MacNab.

It depends if some routes would still make sense to stop there -- since it's closer to Jackson Square and major office towers, plus the new Mac medical building.

The HSR should do a review of all of its routes and scheduling and make changes according what would provide the greatest efficiency for the operating dollars across the transit network with the LRT and new GO services in place. #1 would be expanding A-Line service... something that should have been done already never mind when LRT is built and GO is running more trains, because it's currently not well-matched to the GO schedule we have.

thomax
Jun 15, 2015, 4:36 PM
thespec.com: Paling Ave. real estate listings already touting proximity to LRT (http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5677239-paling-ave-real-estate-listings-already-touting-proximity-to-lrt/)

http://media.zuza.com/e/f/ef0ae3ff-5fdc-4089-871f-45628c57c649/B821995963Z.1_20150614223404_000_GVA1GESSN.2_Content.jpg
Proximity to a future LRT line is expected to have a positive impact on
house sales.

By Amy Kenny | June 15, 2015

"Walk to the new LRT" — that's the description for a real estate listing on Paling Avenue, just east of Kenilworth Avenue North.

No matter that construction on the city's light rail transit line isn't slated to begin until 2019, for a 2024 opening. It's already bringing buzz to the proposed corridor — from McMaster University in the west to the Queenston traffic circle in the east, with a spur line that connects to the new GO station on James Street North.

Coun. Sam Merulla, who represents Ward 4 where the house on Paling is located, says he's not surprised real estate listings are pushing proximity to LRT.

He says a similar thing happened in 2007 when the Red Hill Valley Parkway opened.

"This was a catalyst to Torontonians looking for housing stock in an urban centre," he says, noting property values had jumped for the first time in years.

Before that, Torontonians moved to Westdale, says James Pottruff, with Pottruff and Oliver Realty Inc., Brokerage. He says the Red Hill parkway opened up the Stoney Creek Mountain to newcomers, and thinks LRT will have an even greater impact on the city's east end.

"Lots of (Torontonians) have a different psyche sometimes," he says.

"I think they're very conscious of LRT because they've been used to taking public transit."

Pottruff says LRT seems to hold greater attraction for out-of-towners than it does for established Hamiltonians, who might have a more car-centric mentality.

It's just the latest spike in what Pottruff calls an unprecedented run of price increases in the city. He says the real estate market in Hamilton is the craziest he's seen it in his 31 years as an agent and the LRT announcement has definitely prompted people to ask about locating along the line.

That's not the case across the board in his industry, however.

"To be honest, I think it's too early," says Jeannie Crawford, an agent with Coldwell Banker Pinnacle. "I deal with a lot of people coming to Hamilton from other cities and many haven't even heard of this development. They are all talking about wanting to be near the GO Station on James, but that is real and tangible. Once we get closer to (LRT) and things start to really happen, then I think we'll see more immediate effects."

Pottruff says he can't guess how property values will change along the LRT corridor as construction comes closer, but there are examples of it in other cities.

According to a 2010 report prepared for the City of Hamilton by the Canadian Urban Institute, property values of homes along the LRT route in Dallas, Texas, were 25 per cent higher than values elsewhere in the city. In Portland, Ore., homes within 500 metres of LRT had a 10.6 per cent price premium.

The report also highlighted potential for new development.

"This study has found that the proposed B-Line LRT would stimulate an additional 350,000 square metres (3.7 million square feet) of development over a 15-year period relative to development in the area without an LRT," read the report.

That development would bring an expected $280 million in new taxable assessment, with estimated tax revenues of $22.4 million over 15 years.

Additionally, property values along the corridor would increase to bring $29 million in taxes over that period, with another $30 million coming from building permit and development fees.

Listing: realtor.ca - 124 Paling Avenue, Hamilton, Ontario | $357,900 | 4+1 Bedrooms | 3 Bathrooms (http://realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15759865/124-PALING-Avenue-HAMILTON-Ontario-L8H5J4)

http://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS635691461900870000/reb14/highres/9/h3159169_1.jpg

It's not mentioned in the story, but the house sold the first weekend it was for sale for above the asking price.

drpgq
Jun 16, 2015, 5:05 PM
^^^

That makes me have to wonder what the people in Ward 5 are thinking after the change to stop the LRT at the Queenston traffic circle. Normally a councilor in that situation would be complaining, but Chad Collins thinks it is success.

lucasmascotto
Aug 5, 2015, 5:16 PM
First phase of $1B Hamilton LRT will also connect to waterfront
(The Hamilton Spectator: Wednesday, August 05, 2015)
By: Matthew Van Dongen

Hamilton needs to get rolling immediately on design changes to a King Street corridor LRT that will now also connect the downtown to the waterfront, a new report says.

Construction on an 11-kilometre, $1 billion light rail line connecting McMaster University to the Queenston traffic circle is not scheduled to begin before 2019.

But the city and provincial overseer Metrolinx still face an "aggressive" timeline for years of planning and design work needed to for the project — which now includes a spur line from the downtown to the James Street GO station and beyond, according to the city's first comprehensive report on the LRT project made public today.

Premier Kathleen Wynne announced the long-coveted LRT cash this spring with a caveat the project must connect to the city's new GO Station. Construction of a planned east city GO station starting in 2017 was promised as well.

A map included in the city's new report shows a north-south connection — essentially part of the city's hoped-for future "A" line LRT — extending from the King Street corridor right to the edge of the harbour via the west harbour GO Station.

It's unclear if the connection to the waterfront represents a rail spur all the way to Guise Street East, or if shuttles would run the remaining distance from the GO station.

The map also reflects a planned pedestrian connection from the King Street LRT to the Hamilton GO Centre that also requires major design work.

The report also talks about the need to immediately form an LRT project office and subcommittee of councillors.

A memorandum of agreement with project lead Metrolinx — which would outline responsibility for various costs — needs to be signed within the next 12 to 24 months.

Council also needs to chew on zoning requirements along the LRT route, since existing zoning rules outside the downtown don't necessarily fit the economy-boosting vision for development along the corridor.

More to come.

lucasmascotto
Aug 5, 2015, 5:25 PM
City will hire designers for LRT system this month
(CBC Hamilton: Wednesday, August 05, 2015)
By: Samantha Craggs

The city will move ahead with its light rail transit dream next week when it will establish an office and hire a company to design the $1-billion system.

City councillors will vote Monday whether to create an LRT office, hire Steer Davies Gleave to do the conceptual design and environmental assessment, and hammer out a memorandum of agreement with Metrolinx.

It's the next step in a plan to bring LRT to Hamilton's lower city. In May, Premier Kathleen Wynne announced full capital funding to build the long-awaited system from McMaster University to the Queenston traffic circle.

Monday's decisions will be the first concrete moves after Wynne's announcement to fund the system, which will see construction start in 2019.

The designers will factor in any necessary changes for the line, which will include a spur line to the West Harbour GO station on James Street North. Those designs will include a pedestrian corridor and connecting to a maintenance and storage facility for the trains.

Metrolinx is the lead agency on the project and expects to start procurement for Hamilton's LRT line by 2017.

The province is also paying for a new GO station at Centennial Parkway, which will be finished by 2019.

Here are some other highlights of the report:

It will cost the city $2,096,294 for Steer Davies Gleave's work. The technical work will start in August and finish in March 2017. It is "staff's understanding" that Metrolinx will pay for that, city manager Chris Murray says in the report.
The memorandum of understanding will take about 12 to 18 months to finish and will deal with details such as who oversees which parts of the project.
The new LRT office will include a project lead, transit lead, planner and communications person, and also use experts in engineering, real estate law and finance. Metrolinx will, "we believe," cover the staffing costs, the report says.
The report recommends looking at area rating for transit, although says that the status quo, where urban areas pay predominantly for transit, will be "a consideration and a possible outcome."

Councillors will discuss the report at 9:30 a.m. on Monday.

SteelTown
Aug 5, 2015, 5:30 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/Appster/LRTMap_zpsnldrkbhz.jpg

Dr Awesomesauce
Aug 5, 2015, 11:59 PM
^Never in my wildest dreams - very exciting!

Curious about this 'pedestrian connection' too. I wonder what that might be...

HillStreetBlues
Aug 6, 2015, 12:43 PM
This morning’s Spec article on the topic made it seem as though this extension was entirely Eisenberger’s idea, and had not been seen let alone approved by Metrolinx. It would be great, but I wonder how much extra it would cost. If this thing is a branch taken by some east-west trains, I can see it decreasing the utility of the line by effectively decreasing the frequency for cross-town trips.

What would be great? We have a billion-dollar commitment from the province, the municipality should kick in the extra cost to actually build the A Line, since the plan might now include a couple kilometres of it.

Beedok
Aug 6, 2015, 2:23 PM
So by the time I'm in my 30s Hamilton will get its transit act together....

lucasmascotto
Aug 6, 2015, 2:43 PM
I'll be 29/30 by the time the LRT line opens! I'm so excited!

NortheastWind
Aug 6, 2015, 5:21 PM
Here is the page for Hamilton's B-Line on the Steer Davies Gleave website (http://www.steerdaviesgleave.com/casestudies/developing-hamiltons-b-line-lrt-maximum-state-readiness)

HillStreetBlues
Aug 6, 2015, 5:38 PM
Here is the page for Hamilton's B-Line on the Steer Davies Gleave website (http://www.steerdaviesgleave.com/casestudies/developing-hamiltons-b-line-lrt-maximum-state-readiness)

Their map of the 'BLAST' system shows the B Line continuing all the way to Fruitland. I've never seen that one before, I don't think...

Beedok
Aug 6, 2015, 5:46 PM
I'll be 29/30 by the time the LRT line opens! I'm so excited!
I think that makes you 20 then?

Their map of the 'BLAST' system shows the B Line continuing all the way to Fruitland. I've never seen that one before, I don't think...
I've seen that.
https://raisethehammer.org/static/images/map_blast_rapid_transit_network.png
https://raisethehammer.org/article/2492/hsr_ten_year_plan:_preliminary_review

HillStreetBlues
Aug 6, 2015, 5:51 PM
Thanks. I'm not sure why it hit me that the terminus there is practically in Winona. I dislike that BLAST map: some of those corridors should really be happening, but 'S' and 'L'- and Winona- make it seem like the whole thing is sheer fancy.

ScreamingViking
Aug 7, 2015, 4:21 AM
This morning’s Spec article on the topic made it seem as though this extension was entirely Eisenberger’s idea, and had not been seen let alone approved by Metrolinx. It would be great, but I wonder how much extra it would cost. If this thing is a branch taken by some east-west trains, I can see it decreasing the utility of the line by effectively decreasing the frequency for cross-town trips.

What would be great? We have a billion-dollar commitment from the province, the municipality should kick in the extra cost to actually build the A Line, since the plan might now include a couple kilometres of it.

I didn't get the same impression re: Eisenberger, if this is the article you're referring to (http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5784603-and-now-first-phase-of-the-lrt-may-also-connect-to-waterfront/). But the map has the Metrolinx logo, and is actually posted on their website (http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/transitexpansionprojects/Hamilton_B-Line_LRT_EN-850x545.jpg). So clearly they've seen it... whether they've looked at the longer extension in enough detail to have an opinion yet is the question.

I agree there are key questions about how the extension would operate. There's a good argument for running separate services to maintain the most efficient travel along the E-W spine, requiring a transfer between the lines.

The city should look at making a complementary investment to either extend the B-Line to Eastgate, or add more to the A-Line. E.g., why not extend the A right down to the GO Centre and have a direct connection to GO service there as well as at West Harbour? Once the core infrastructure is in place, extensions (edit: relatively short extensions) aren't that cost prohibitive.

I also wonder if more efficient placement of the storage/maintenance facility would be possible, but there seem to be few city-owned plots of land close to the B or A lines that would be suitable.

markbarbera
Aug 7, 2015, 4:15 PM
The city should look at making a complementary investment to either extend the B-Line to Eastgate, or add more to the A-Line. E.g., why not extend the A right down to the GO Centre and have a direct connection to GO service there as well as at West Harbour? Once the core infrastructure is in place, extensions (edit: relatively short extensions) aren't that cost prohibitive.

I like the idea of treating the LRT's trunk line to West Harbour more like a very short first phase of the A-Line. That way the second phase of LRT in Hamilton can be an extension of both lines to their intended full course. In this first phase, they should definitely make the trunk follow the proposed A-Line from the waterfront to at least James and Hunter to connect the GO stations. In fact, why not have it continue south, terminating at Mohawk College?

Dr Awesomesauce
Aug 8, 2015, 2:36 AM
^That's something I've always wondered about. But then you're left with relatively two short lines: A - the waterfront to Mohawk; and B - Mac to Ottawa (or perhaps Queenston).

Would those be 'efficient' i.e. successful transportation routes? How many years between phases? Is there a guarantee of a second phase?

It's a tough one...

SteelTown
Aug 10, 2015, 6:09 PM
Farr said there will be a LRT vehicle demo during the next Supercrawl.

Beedok
Aug 10, 2015, 6:42 PM
^That's something I've always wondered about. But then you're left with relatively two short lines: A - the waterfront to Mohawk; and B - Mac to Ottawa (or perhaps Queenston).

Would those be 'efficient' i.e. successful transportation routes? How many years between phases? Is there a guarantee of a second phase?

It's a tough one...

I'm guessing most of the traffic for the B-line would be between Mac and Ottawa, so it would probably be fairly successful, though that would require admitting it's a streetcar not rapid transit.

lucasmascotto
Aug 11, 2015, 2:55 PM
City rushes to stop fast food, gas stations along LRT line
(CBC Hamilton: Tuesday, August 11, 2015)
By: Samantha Craggs

Gas stations. Fast food drive-thrus. Single-family homes on parcels of land that could easily be home to more lucrative developments.

These are all things city planners don't want to see along Hamilton's future light-rail transit (LRT) line. And now they're rushing to get a temporary bylaw in place to try to prevent them.

Developers are already approaching the city wanting to build along the route, said Jason Thorne, general manager of planning and economic development.

The city wants the right projects to be built along the King Street corridor — namely, not ones that focus on car traffic. The ideal is a multi-storey condo or apartment building with businesses on the ground floor.

But current zoning laws are lax, and if a fast food restaurant wanted to build a drive thru on a commercial space, there isn't much the city could do, Thorne said.

"It's pretty permissive zoning that allows a wide range of things, and some of those things aren't appropriate for the corridor now that there's going to be LRT," he said.

By fall, Thorne hopes to present an interim control bylaw that will specify which undesirable elements the city should avoid along the 10.8-kilometre route.

LRT is bringing interest from developers more interested now that the $1.2-billion project is a go.

"A good example is we're starting to see interest for student residences east of Westdale now that they have that connection through the LRT," he said. "So it's definitely generating development interest generally.

"Our fear is there could be development projects that will come and plop down on one of our key development sites. That's what we're trying to stave off."

Who develops where is key to LRT being a success in Hamilton. Economic spinoff is a major argument in favour of the system. But for LRT to pay off, the city has to allow the best projects on the best parcels of land.

The transit line itself will run along King Street from McMaster University to the Queenston traffic circle. A 2.3-kilometre A-line will run from King Street to the waterfront, and a three-kilometre track will connect the main line to the Wentworth maintenance facility.

The city will also build a pedestrian walkway from the Hunter GO station to the MacNab transit terminal.

LRT dominated discussion at city council's general issues committee on Wednesday, when staff recommended some next steps.

The city will set up a downtown office with Metrolinx for staff just working on LRT. It's also establishing a subcommittee that will include the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce and six city councillors.

Thorne's presentation on Monday included the idea of incentives for builders along the line. Coun. Lloyd Ferguson of Ancaster had a problem with that. If LRT is such an economic generator, Ferguson said, then why does the city need incentives?

Thorne said incentive grants would help bring the right development to the right areas. Even so, councillors agreed with Ferguson and scrapped that from the report's recommendations for now.

coalminecanary
Aug 12, 2015, 4:13 PM
thank god for this guy, saving hamilton from itself

LikeHamilton
Aug 24, 2015, 2:18 PM
Metrolinx Regional Tour

Starting this summer, Metrolinx is embarking on a new regional tour. Join us at any of the following events to learn how we’re building transit to get your community moving.

Have a question about one of our projects? Staff will be at each event to speak with community members. The tour will also feature a display booth or LRT mockup vehicle, with lots of useful information. Visit us to learn how we can #movetheregion together.

Here’s where we’ll be this summer:

Barrie Kempenfest: July 31 – August 2
York Eglinton International Street Festival: August 14– 16
Port Credit Buskerfest August: 21 – 23
Canadian National Exhibition : August 21 – September 7
Hamilton Supercrawl: September 12 – September 13
Newmarket Buskerfest + Street Art Celebration:September 22
Markham Fair: October 1 – 4
Pumpkinville: October 17
Royal Agricultural Winter Fair: November 6 – 15

interr0bangr
Sep 11, 2015, 7:40 PM
Cross post from the Supercrawl thread...

http://i.imgur.com/c013Qqc.jpg
LRT Display - Supercrawl 2015 (https://twitter.com/RyanMcGreal/status/642390327291215872), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/Y5PeGcl.jpg
LRT Display - Supercrawl 2015 (https://twitter.com/marinitweet/status/642360109331517440), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/JCQP5fJ.jpg
LRT Display - Supercrawl 2015 (https://twitter.com/keaninloomis/status/642352747564634113), on Twitter

Dr Awesomesauce
Sep 12, 2015, 1:36 AM
^Kewl...but we're gonna need at least one complete train - a half just won't cut it. ;)

Jon Dalton
Sep 12, 2015, 8:04 PM
So are they letting people into that LRT car? You could also go to Toronto and wait for one of their new Bombardier streetcars to come along and go for a ride. They're basically the same.

matt602
Sep 13, 2015, 12:37 AM
So are they letting people into that LRT car? You could also go to Toronto and wait for one of their new Bombardier streetcars to come along and go for a ride. They're basically the same.

Yeah, you're able to do a walk through.

ScreamingViking
Sep 13, 2015, 4:12 AM
Cross post from the Supercrawl thread...

http://i.imgur.com/c013Qqc.jpg
LRT Display - Supercrawl 2015 (https://twitter.com/RyanMcGreal/status/642390327291215872), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/Y5PeGcl.jpg
LRT Display - Supercrawl 2015 (https://twitter.com/marinitweet/status/642360109331517440), on Twitter

http://i.imgur.com/JCQP5fJ.jpg
LRT Display - Supercrawl 2015 (https://twitter.com/keaninloomis/status/642352747564634113), on Twitter

Ooooooo boy :cool:

http://www.ramblingmorons.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/SEXYTIME.png

LikeHamilton
Oct 20, 2015, 1:54 PM
For those who missed at Supercrawl, A Light Rail Vehicle Mockup will be on public display in the forecourt of City Hall from (Today) Oct 20 to Oct 23 9 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. and on Saturday October 24 from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Members of the public can visit it, tour the vehicle and talk to city and Metrolinx staff.

HillStreetBlues
Oct 28, 2015, 11:58 AM
Brampton city council just voted 6-5 against its segment of the Hurontario LRT line, and will reject the share of provincial money that would have fully-funded it. See article here: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/bramton-transit-vote-lrt-1.3291894

Big shame. Instead of Hurontario LRT connecting the Lakeshore Go line with the Kitchener Go line, it will stop three kilometres short of the latter, at Steeles. This will inhibit ridership greatly, and of course deny downtown Brampton and other areas a lot of benefits.

Dr Awesomesauce
Oct 28, 2015, 12:07 PM
^Why are they such fartfaces?

CaptainKirk
Oct 28, 2015, 12:49 PM
While I feel bad for Brampton, I wonder if this will indirectly spur some extra
urban intensification in Hamilton, that would have otherwise happened in Brampton.

king10
Oct 28, 2015, 1:13 PM
While I feel bad for Brampton, I wonder if this will indirectly spur some extra
urban intensification in Hamilton, that would have otherwise happened in Brampton.

Extra money to extend the Hamilton LRT line to Eastgate?

thistleclub
Oct 28, 2015, 2:22 PM
Brampton council rejects downtown LRT (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10/28/brampton-council-rejects-downtown-lrt.html)
(Toronto Star, Sam Grewal, Oct 28 2015)

Brampton city councillors voted early Wednesday to reject a controversial transit project that would have seen an LRT route run along Main St. through the city’s downtown.

At about 1:30 a.m., council voted 7-4 to reject the Main St. plan that Queen’s Park had approved.

Cries of “shame” and promises of retribution rang out from the thinning crowd as furious residents filed out of the meeting.

Opponents had said the proposed corridor along the Main St. route lacked potential for ridership and future growth.

“It’s baffling to me that we are actually considering saying no,” Brampton resident Nikita Brown said before the decision, referring to the $300 million to $400 million that the province had earmarked for Brampton's share of the $1.6-billion Hurontario-Main LRT project.

Council’s decision means the LRT will now stop at Steeles Ave. instead of continuing north into downtown Brampton along Main St.

Almost 500 people had turned out earlier for the debate, which was held at the Rose Theatre to accommodate a crowd that couldn’t fit into Brampton City Hall's council chamber.

“I believe we made the best decision tonight to stop it at Steeles,” said Councillor John Sprovieri. The motion that passed, killing the Main St. route, allows Brampton to consider alternatives.

Sprovieri said a decision on an eventual LRT route, which council will now begin working on, should be ready in time to pick up construction when the project crosses Mississauga and gets to Steeles.

Councillors who opposed running the LRT up Main St. have proposed an alternate route along Steeles and then north to Queen St., where it could continue east from downtown to the Bramalea GO Train station. Some want it to run east on Queen all the way to the end of the Vaughan subway extension, which is currently under construction.

As the project now stands, the Hurontario LRT will run north-south through Mississauga along the city’s Hurontario spine, turning around at Steeles....

MetroLinx CEO Bruce McCuaig said the provincial money that would have funded the Brampton portion of the defeated LRT plan will now be available for other transit projects across the province.

But he made it clear that any alternative transit plan Brampton now decides on could still be considered by the province for funding. “That would have to be evaluated,” he told councillors.

Read it in full here (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10/28/brampton-council-rejects-downtown-lrt.html).

thistleclub
Oct 28, 2015, 6:11 PM
Brampton mayor tries to reverse her LRT vote (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10/28/brampton-mayor-tries-to-reverse-her-lrt-vote.html)
(Toronto Star, San Grewal, Oct 28 2015)

Hours after Brampton Mayor Linda Jeffrey surprised everyone by voting to kill an LRT route that she had backed for months, on Wednesday morning she tried to reverse her vote.

“I made a mistake,” Jeffrey said before lunch at a council meeting. Her failed attempt to change her recorded vote would not have changed the outcome of the light rail transit decision, which passed 7-4. Jeffrey said she simply wanted to show that the vote should have been 6-5, with her on the losing side, instead of in support of the decision to kill the Main St. option....

Asked after her vote by reporters, why she supported killing the Main St. option in favour of a possible alternative route, Jeffrey said she wanted to “make sure that we still have transit on the table.”

But later Wednesday morning, at the regularly scheduled council meeting, she said, “It was my intention to support the LRT on Main St., I said so publicly.”

Jeffrey said she did not read the motion properly.

“It was a very long night and I didn't read all of the motion.”

But some councillors who have not supported Jeffrey on the LRT issue showed little sympathy when she asked to “adjust the vote I made.”

Councillor Elaine Moore pointed out that Jeffrey had already publicly explained why she chose to support killing the Main St. option.

“If you made a wrong decision, well, then you just have to live with it,” said Councillor John Sprovieri. “It's up to you to justify it to whomever it is that is criticizing you.”

After council voted to reject Jeffrey's motion to try to alter her vote, the mayor apologized to each member who had supported her on the LRT issue for months and voted against killing the Main St. option. She addressed each of them by name.

“I'm sorry.”

She then expressed her disappointment over council's refusal to let her change her vote.

“I'm sad that this council wouldn't have shown me that courtesy.”

Read it in full here (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10/28/brampton-mayor-tries-to-reverse-her-lrt-vote.html).

matt602
Oct 28, 2015, 7:39 PM
I feel that we should get top priority on this money after Brampton to restore the original, lost part of the B-Line LRT back to Eastgate. We've been planning it that way for years now and submitted it to Metrolinx as our official plan. They only cut it back this year when they decided to swing it up to the West Harbour GO. I still think that cutting the Eastgate Square terminal out of the LRT route is majorly compromising its ridership potential.

Jon Dalton
Oct 28, 2015, 7:40 PM
With the money Brampton turned down they could extend our LRT past Eastgate to the Centennial GO station.

markbarbera
Oct 28, 2015, 9:00 PM
To clarify, Brampton council has voted down the proposed route it takes into Brampton. They did not vote against LRT, they voted against the proposed route. Those who voted against the route want to plan the route to follow a different path which they believe will spur more growth for the city.

SteelTown
Oct 28, 2015, 9:17 PM
Queen's Park gave Brampton a deadline until the end of this month to make a decision. With no decision the money will be returned to the province. So it looks like Brampton lost it all.

If Brampton didn't like the Main St route they should've spoken earlier, at least before the Environmental Assessment.

Jon Dalton
Oct 28, 2015, 11:13 PM
Hmm the article said the LRT will end at Steeles Ave. Could this be like the stadium debate where they keep getting extensions to decide where to put the LRT? I don't think they'll want to wait very long as Kathleen Wynne is anxious to get this money spent before a new government has the change to reneg.

Dr Awesomesauce
Oct 28, 2015, 11:41 PM
Yeah, this sounds awfully familiar.

It appears the mayor has suffered some sort of Bratina-eque brainfart. There does seem to be support for LRT in Brampton, however, so let's hope they get their act together in time. Let's not forget where we were not so long ago - many in the region calling for Hamilton to forfeit its right to that dough...

CaptainKirk
Oct 29, 2015, 4:42 AM
What happens to surplus LRT funds?

We reached out to Anne-Marie Aikens of Metrolinx for this article, and can provide this response:

It is disappointing that Council did not support the work that had been completed over the past six years by Brampton, Mississauga and Metrolinx.

We respect Council's decision and will revise the scope of the project so that the northern terminus is at Steeles Avenue. Funds that would have been provided to the segment of the project north of Steeles Avenue will be returned to the Province's Moving Ontario Fund.

Our objective remains to begin construction in 2018 and begin service by the end of 2022. Immediate next steps include retaining an Owner's Engineer and Technical Advisor to help move the project forward.

http://www.raisethehammer.org/article/2731/bramptons_lrt_loss_could_expand_hamilton_lrt

thistleclub
Oct 29, 2015, 1:15 PM
Hmm the article said the LRT will end at Steeles Ave. Could this be like the stadium debate where they keep getting extensions to decide where to put the LRT? I don't think they'll want to wait very long as Kathleen Wynne is anxious to get this money spent before a new government has the change to reneg.

Another extenuating factor is Mayor Jeffrey's service to the OLP as a cabinet minister for her last three years in office (she was Chair of cabinet as well as Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing during Wynne's tenure). For all the high-minded branding, Metrolinx is ultimately an MTO sock puppet, so partisan allegiances do (see also Liberal MP-turned-Mississauga mayor Bonnie Crombie). We're about 30 months from writs being issued for the 2018 election, and once that happens, cabinet goes into cryostasis, so presumably you'd want ground broken by that point.

thomax
Oct 29, 2015, 2:04 PM
CBC Hamilton: City passes new rules to limit parking lots, drive thrus on LRT route (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/city-passes-new-rules-to-limit-parking-lots-drive-thrus-on-lrt-route-1.3293479)

City wants to make sure developments make the most of LRT's potential

http://i.cbc.ca/1.3086952.1432585445!/fileImage/httpImage/image.png_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/main-st-e-hamilton-lrt.png
City Council voted Wednesday night to enact an interim control bylaw that would restrict the types of developments along
the LRT line.

Oct 28, 2015

The city has a vision of the sort of development it wants to see along the LRT corridor – and it doesn't include parking lots.

Councillors passed an interim control bylaw for the LRT route Wednesday night, which would limit developments along it that aren't conducive to the city's LRT vision during the lead up to the transit system being built.

That includes things like gas stations, drive-thrus, and single-family homes on parcels of land that could house more lucrative developments.

"Do we really want a DQ drive thru where an eight-storey mixed use space should be with an LRT stop?" Ward 2 Coun. Jason Farr said.

The city says it wants the right projects to be built along the King Street corridor — namely, not ones that focus on car traffic. The ideal is a multi-storey condo or apartment building with businesses on the ground floor.

Back in August, Jason Thorne, general manager of planning and economic development, told CBC News that developers were already approaching the city and wanting to build along the route.

Not every councillor was on board about the motion – councillors Chad Collins, Brenda Johnson and Judi Partridge opposed it, and said they were worried that people on the line weren't being given adequate notice.

"The fact is, we're not even communicating with even a simple letter," Collins said.

But Coun. Matthew Green said he "wasn't sure where the panic comes from" about the plan. "This is a planning tool – this isn't a fast move that's being made," he said.

Staff told council that people or companies that are looking to develop on the line but can't are able to appeal to city hall.

The transit line itself will run along King Street from McMaster University to the Queenston traffic circle. A 2.3-kilometre A-line will run from King Street to the waterfront, and a three-kilometre track will connect the main line to the Wentworth maintenance facility.

The city will also build a pedestrian walkway from the Hunter GO station to the MacNab transit terminal.

mishap
Nov 2, 2015, 2:41 AM
I have to know: why do we need a walkway from the GO station to MacNab Terminal? To catch the mountain buses that are going to be stopping on James St right outside the GO station anyway? Or to access the B-Line LRT and Jackson Square, which can be reached via Hughson and the newly-pedestrianized Gore Park?

And won't this walkway become redundant with a north-south line anyway? There would likely be A-Line stops at Hunter and King for those who couldn't just walk up Hughson. Furthermore, won't such a line pretty much reduce or eliminate the need for MacNab Terminal itself? If there were a proper north-south line to bring people up and down the escarpment, few mountain buses (or maybe just the Jolley Cut routes) would be required to come in to the lower city. MacNab Terminal is really just a sign that our transit system isn't where it needs to be yet.

Has anybody even said what will happen to the unfinished Hunter St bike lane if this walkway gets built? It would be nice to see this route across the core completed.

I feel worse about the LRT plans as they drag on. It seems the current planning trend is to follow up a bad concept with another costly plan to justify it.

coalminecanary
Nov 2, 2015, 3:58 AM
we never ever should have built that macnab terminal, we should have used the TRANSIT STATION WE ALREADY HAD as the HSR terminal. Y'know, the underutilized art deco train station with bus bays and washrooms.... UGHHHHHH

HillStreetBlues
Nov 2, 2015, 4:07 PM
we never ever should have built that macnab terminal, we should have used the TRANSIT STATION WE ALREADY HAD as the HSR terminal. Y'know, the underutilized art deco train station with bus bays and washrooms.... UGHHHHHH

If you run for council, you'll have my vote.

I hadn't had occasion to go to the Hunter terminal for a long while until the other week, when I had to bring a few of my leftover HSR tickets and a bunch of nickels and dimes (I finally got to nickel and dime them...but the cashier didn't appreciate the joke as fully as I had hoped). It's a beautiful building, and sufficient size to accommodate a lot of our transit needs. It's a real shame it's underutilized, and I believe it is: all of MacNab's traffic could and should use Hunter instead.

SteelTown
Nov 2, 2015, 4:13 PM
Something like this from the 1982 rapid transit plan for the Hunter GO Station could work.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/hammer396/GOStationplan_Page_04.jpg

Though I'd only have maybe the most 4 levels, 2nd level all for HSR and the rest for parking.

mishap
Nov 2, 2015, 5:18 PM
That would have required extensive work, as city buses require pull-in pull-out bays. Still, not impossible. We could have probably built 12-16 bus bays (depending on size) along both curbs of Hunter Street, leaving the back of the building for intercity services.

Beedok
Nov 2, 2015, 5:40 PM
Okay, I remember that Chateau Royale took forever to build, but did they really start the planning in the 80s?

bigguy1231
Nov 2, 2015, 6:04 PM
Okay, I remember that Chateau Royale took forever to build, but did they really start the planning in the 80s?

It was the Alexandria Square until the 90's. An office complex. There is no way this drawing is from the early 80's. Having said that it still looks like a good idea.

SteelTown
Dec 1, 2015, 3:03 PM
I hope when they restore the City Motor Hotel sign it'll look something like this at the future transit station.

First full look at Calgary's new Tuscany Station. The first station on the outside of the Stoney Trail Ring Highway, though not the farthest station from downtown.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5746/23069687419_df5c0ffc56_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/B9Abkn)
Eamons Camp (https://flic.kr/p/B9Abkn) by Chadillaccc (https://www.flickr.com/photos/66175113@N06/), on Flickr

markbarbera
Jan 6, 2016, 5:58 PM
This scathing column on the new Edmonton LRT line should be required reading for anyone at Metrolinx planning out LRT for Hamilton.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/tristin-hopper-the-600-million-edmonton-train-that-snarls-traffic-slows-down-transit-times-and-increases-emissions

We really need to learn from Edmonton's experience. I am particularly concerned because, thus far, preliminary design elements for Hamilton's A-Line are hauntingly similar to what Edmonton has put in place. There is a lesson-learned opportunity here that I hope Hamilton does not squander.

Jon Dalton
Jan 6, 2016, 8:48 PM
Wow that looks truly awful. It seems like the problem is a broken by design signalling system. I never imagined transit priority signalling could be done worse than it is on the TTC.

SteelTown
Jan 7, 2016, 4:05 AM
The city has opened an official LRT office at the Hunter Street GO station.
Hamilton's $1-billion light rail transit project has a home.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6221630-lrt-gets-on-track-at-go-station/

Most members of the fledgling LRT team made up of city and Metrolinx officials started moving into the fourth floor of the Hunter Street GO Station this week.

Within a few months, the expanding team will also take over the fifth floor of the provincially owned heritage station, said David Dixon, the city's transit head.

"As the project ramps up, so will the size of the team," he said Wednesday during a sneak-peek tour of the still half-empty office, which gives the initial dozen-or-so staffers an overhead view of GO trains on the Canadian Pacific line. "But this is our home base, for now."

It's the first physical manifestation of the long-planned rapid transit line, which will run from McMaster University to the Queenston traffic circle, plus a spur to the James Street North GO station.

It's not the street-level, publicly accessible office some councillors have lobbied for to keep LRT interest top-of-mind.

But that "storefront space" is still part of the plan, said downtown Coun. Jason Farr. The chair of the LRT subcommittee pointed to the success of 294 James St. N., which the city and charity Evergreen are using as a community hub and "conversation space" to engage residents on west harbour rejuvenation.

"I think that would be brilliant (for LRT) and I think we've made it clear that type of public interaction is a priority," he said, suggesting a separate site in a high-traffic area could be staffed "with one or two people" to interact with the public.

Paul Johnson, the city's new director of LRT co-ordination, said he also expects a "public display space" at some point. "What we have now is a behind-the-scenes, technical work area," he said. "That's important and a good first step, but there's more to come."

After the project is tendered, the successful design-build consortium will be expected to find larger work space for everyone, including public officials.

Johnson and HSR head Dixon are the senior city officials with the joint LRT office, with Andrew Hope heading the effort on behalf of project lead Metrolinx.

The city has also just hired an LRT communications officer and interviews for a stakeholder relations manager are underway.

Other looming milestones for the project include a council sign-off on an early memorandum of understanding between Metrolinx and the city.

Council also expects to receive a more detailed timeline for the project by the end of January, when the next LRT subcommittee is held.

mdrejhon
Jan 7, 2016, 11:18 PM
This scathing column on the new Edmonton LRT line should be required reading for anyone at Metrolinx planning out LRT for Hamilton.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/tristin-hopper-the-600-million-edmonton-train-that-snarls-traffic-slows-down-transit-times-and-increases-emissions

We really need to learn from Edmonton's experience. I am particularly concerned because, thus far, preliminary design elements for Hamilton's A-Line are hauntingly similar to what Edmonton has put in place. There is a lesson-learned opportunity here that I hope Hamilton does not squander.We knew this concern would happen....

This is part of why our new Hamilton LRT citizen advocacy run by local residents started up recently;
Make sure it stays on track -- get best economic/social benefits -- and avoid big mistakes.

Concerned residents wanting the best possible LRT system (efficient ones in other cities than Edmonton), including myself, have started up a new Hamilton LRT advocacy this September 2015 precisely to help avoid this type of situation. We advocate for the best possible LRT system -- as well as best social/economic benefits.

Since we started up a mere few months ago, we now got highly active Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/ham_LRT) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/hamiltonLRT) accounts. Website (www.hamiltonLRT.ca (http://www.hamiltonLRT.ca)) is coming soon.

http://i.imgur.com/QB6RP20.png (http://www.twitter.com/ham_LRT)

Several members of the original hamiltonlightrail.ca advocacy ("help get LRT funded") are also currently involved with us, with our advocacy ("help keep LRT on track").

We've been sending a delegation of multiple members to the City Hall LRT subcommittee meeting, and made a PowerPoint presentation (https://hamilton.siretechnologies.com/sirepub/view.aspx?cabinet=published_meetings&fileid=105379) in front of city council and mayor Fred at their previous LRT sub-committee meeting (from meeting agenda (http://hamilton.siretechnologies.com/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=856&doctype=AGENDA) at City Hall document storage website, click on my name "Mark Rejhon"):

http://i.imgur.com/EeSKOIpl.png (https://hamilton.siretechnologies.com/sirepub/view.aspx?cabinet=published_meetings&fileid=105379)

We also have a different upcoming presentation planned for the Sherman Hub neighborhood community meeting we've been invited to (and other hubs we get invited to), including a workshop where residents are able to crayon comments/suggestions onto 2011 LRT plan printouts (http://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiatives/priority-projects/submission-metrolinx) which also has parallel neighborhood revitalization initiatives along the LRT corridor such as sidewalk trees, wider sidewalks, curb bumpouts, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/7lr0IHtl.png

Other groups are doing parallel work (e.g. Keanin Loomis, for businesses) and we collaborate with them too; for example businesses that expressed construction concern along the corridor, etc.

There are many other things we are currently doing, reaching out to new groups, plus having attended every single Hamilton Citizen Jury (https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiatives/priority-projects/lrt-citizens-jury) public event (while we are not Jury members, we have attended their events and engaged). We were also invited to man the extended demo LRT exhibit in front of city hall, for one day, with our custom Hamilton LRT T-Shirts with our logo, etc.

Feel free to join by following us on Twitter/Facebook.
Retweet, share, contact us, link us with other people, etc.

We now have many connections to both City of Hamilton and Metrolinx, so we're able to pass information to them via multiple channels now for due consideration. And we are always recruiting new additional volunteers too, ranging from artwork, web designers, brainstorming, flyer deliveries, new connections, etc. Get familiar with us; plus read my massive GO train articles on RaiseTheHammer (https://raisethehammer.org/authors/426/mark_rejhon) -- big-time transit enthusiasts are welcome to get in touch!

As residents, let's prevent costly mistakes in the construction of Hamilton LRT. Join us!

Cheers
Mark Rejhon
Leader, Hamilton LRT citizen advocacy run by local residents.
Twitter: @ham_LRT (http://www.twitter.com/ham_LRT) / Facebook: HamiltonLRT (http://www.facebook.com/hamiltonLRT)

thistleclub
Jan 15, 2016, 7:56 PM
Mississauga closely watching Edmonton LRT ‘nightmare’ (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/01/15/mississauga-closely-watching-edmonton-lrt-nightmare.html)
(Toronto Star, San Grewal, Jan 15 2016)

The provincial agency responsible for building Mississauga’s planned $1.4 billion light rail system up the city’s spine is allaying concerns that it might create problems similar to those in Edmonton, where an LRT is reportedly causing traffic nightmares.

“Metrolinx, along with the cities of Mississauga and Brampton, are closely studying best practices and lessons-learned from other jurisdictions in North America — including Edmonton — and around the world to minimize impacts to traffic both during construction, as well as when the LRT is operational,” wrote Metrolinx spokesperson Vanessa Barrasa, in an email to the Star.

This week during a general committee meeting of council, Edmonton’s LRT was discussed by Mississauga councillors. A newspaper article on the agenda outlined online claims of drivers having to wait up to 15 minutes at intersections while the LRT passed. The National Post article (http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/tristin-hopper-the-600-million-edmonton-train-that-snarls-traffic-slows-down-transit-times-and-increases-emissions) described the Alberta capital as a “gridlocked nightmare of idling cars, trucks and city buses” when the LRT often causes traffic backups.

“We’ll be looking at what went right and what went wrong (with Edmonton) and we need to spend considerable time on that,” Martin Powell, Mississauga’s commissioner of transportation and works, told councillors Wednesday.

City staff told the Star that Metrolinx would have to answer technical questions, such as the length of wait times on the LRT route. Asked about wait times at Mississauga intersections along the planned LRT route along Hurontario St., Metrolinx said those details are not yet known, but a preliminary design report has been prepared.

“The report recognizes the unique characteristics of Hurontario Street including intersecting transit, municipal roads/highways and the need to ensure the introduction of an efficient, convenient and reliable LRT service to respond to future transportation demand and minimize the impacts on vehicular traffic,” Barrasa stated in her email.

Questions about who will own and operate the LRT have also been raised, as have concerns about how much Mississauga might have to pay for local costs, beyond the $1.4 billion the province is providing.

“Metrolinx will own the infrastructure, vehicles and signalling system associated with the Hurontario LRT line,” Barrasa stated.

“Decisions about who will operate and maintain the LRT have not yet been made. As part of the project implementation, Metrolinx will work with both municipalities (Brampton has a very short amount of the LRT line, up to Steeles Ave., just north of the Mississauga border) to examine operating and maintenance options.”

Read it in full here (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/01/15/mississauga-closely-watching-edmonton-lrt-nightmare.html).

bigguy1231
Jan 17, 2016, 6:29 PM

We really need to learn from Edmonton's experience. I am particularly concerned because, thus far, preliminary design elements for Hamilton's A-Line are hauntingly similar to what Edmonton has put in place. There is a lesson-learned opportunity here that I hope Hamilton does not squander.

These have been my concerns all along. The problem is no one seems to be addressing those concerns. If we are going to create congestion, where none currently exists, just so we can say we have an LRT, then do we really need an LRT.

Innsertnamehere
Jan 17, 2016, 8:21 PM
The Edmonton LRT is run entirely differently than the various systems in southern Ontario will be run. Edmonton runs on 100% ROW control, that is, it NEVER gets a red light, and has crossing arms at every intersection. Its worse in Edmonton right now than it will be long term as well, as these long waits are being caused by screwed up signaling software that they are trying to fix.

The Hamilton LRT I expect will largely work like the VIVA BRT in Newmarket and Markham, if you have seen those. Those use small levels of signal priority, where a light cycle may be cut short by a few seconds for a bus, but the buses still experience plenty of red lights and car traffic moves just fine with them.

matt602
Jan 17, 2016, 9:29 PM
These have been my concerns all along. The problem is no one seems to be addressing those concerns. If we are going to create congestion, where none currently exists, just so we can say we have an LRT, then do we really need an LRT.

The point of LRT isn't to create congestion and the LRT office aims to set the record straight on that, from what I've seen. People need to see past the black and white "war on cars" vision of LRT and see how this is both a city building and capacity addressing project. The B-Line bus route and associated King-Main corridor routes are bursting at the seams currently even with articulated buses and 10 minute frequencies and this is only going to get worse as more people move to Hamilton. Traditional bus serve cannot keep up with the demand of East-West transit any longer, we need higher order solutions.

movingtohamilton
Jan 18, 2016, 3:16 AM
...Traditional bus serve cannot keep up with the demand of East-West transit any longer, we need higher order solutions.

^ This.

thistleclub
Jan 18, 2016, 3:34 AM
The point of LRT isn't to create congestion and the LRT office aims to set the record straight on that, from what I've seen. People need to see past the black and white "war on cars" vision of LRT and see how this is both a city building and capacity addressing project. The B-Line bus route and associated King-Main corridor routes are bursting at the seams currently even with articulated buses and 10 minute frequencies and this is only going to get worse as more people move to Hamilton. Traditional bus serve cannot keep up with the demand of East-West transit any longer, we need higher order solutions.

I agree that there are logical remedies to any challenges associated with LRT, but am also discomfited by the limitations of the current system and the HSR's seeming inability to optimize its service or respond to ridership. For example: 25+ years after the 10 Express launched, there is still no B-Line bus route service after 8pm weekdays or anytime Sat/Sun/Holidays.

Similarly ominous is the headway aside in PW13014 ( https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/default/files/media/browser/2015-07-19/rr_rapid_ready_-_expanding_mobility_choices_in_hamilton-_division-report.pdf
), the covering report for Rapid Ready:

“There may be a need for some reduction in service frequency to fully utilize the available train capacity.”

This wouldn’t be without precedent. The TTC has positioned itself along similar lines. In Feb 2015 the Toronto Star reported ( http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/02/16/new-ttc-streetcars-to-offer-better-ride-but-longer-waits.html):

The wait for a streetcar has been climbing since 1990. Twenty-five years ago, the gap between streetcars on Dundas was three minutes, 15 seconds. Today it is five minutes and 15 seconds. When the new streetcars come online, the TTC plans gaps of six minutes, 45 seconds in the morning peak.

Traditional bus service in Hamilton is wanting, but that seems to be more a reflection on operational limitations than technological ones. The HSR’s B-Line has only had articulated buses in service since Sept 2007 (shortly after crosstown LRT was first promised by the province). Around the same time, the HSR expanded B-Line service hours between rush hours (ie. 9am-2pm) and narrowed the rush-hour headway from 12 to 10 minutes. All good, as far as these things go, but those improvements were completed by March 2010. Aside from two anomalous 5-minute headways in the 5-7pm pocket (an overly cautious nod to LRT’s forecast 6.5- to 4-minute headways), 2013’s "Quick Wins" Amenities (http://www2.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/6CFBFE59-DFF8-4263-A895-34C87BF234CE/0/May1672_PW11079d.pdf) and 2014's ill-fated bus lane pilot, I’m not aware of any service enhancements to the B-Line in the last 5 years.

Anyone?

thomax
Jan 19, 2016, 3:20 PM
CBC Hamilton - Metrolinx will control LRT - including the cost, agreement says (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/metrolinx-will-control-lrt-including-the-cost-agreement-says-1.3410024)

Councillors will talk about the timeline on Jan. 25

By Samantha Craggs | Jan 19, 2016

http://i.cbc.ca/1.3278357.1445280589!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/lrt.jpg
A new light rapid transit car sits in front of city hall late last year. The city will soon clear its first legal hurdle when it comes
to LRT - a memorandum of agreement with Metrolinx. (Tucker Wilson/CBC)

The city can give input on most of the components for Hamilton's future light-rail transit (LRT) line, but for the most part, Metrolinx will be in charge.

That's according to a new memorandum of agreement city councillors will vote on next week. The agreement between Metrolinx and the city of Hamilton specifies that while the city can give input on major components of the project, Metrolinx will have the final say.

"The city will have the opportunity to review and provide input and Metrolinx will use reasonable efforts to implement Hamilton's suggestions," staff said in a report. That report will be discussed at an LRT subcommittee meeting on Jan. 25.

But ultimately, Metrolinx "will have final determination on these matters."

"These matters" means major design, real estate acquisitions, utility lines, permits, licensing and other elements of the project beyond certain infrastructure decisions along King Street.

Metrolinx contractors will build a $1-billion LRT line along King Street from McMaster University to the Queenston traffic circle. It will also build a line along James Street North from King Street to the West Harbour GO station, or the waterfront if budget permits.

The agreement specifies that Metrolinx owns the project and controls its scope, budget, scheduling, planning, design and construction.

It also says that Metrolinx will pay for the project, including any infrastructure such as watermains that need to be relocated because of LRT.

This agreement is just the first phase. There will be more detailed agreements this year that hammer out the design, build, operation and maintenance of the line.

The city will have approval rights over some assets it owns, such as sewers and watermains, that have to be rebuilt or replaced during the project, the report said.

The LRT line is due to be operational in 2024. Construction should start in 2018, although some councillors want it to happen as soon as possible to avoid political interference.

Councillors will talk about the timeline on Jan. 25.

thistleclub
Jan 25, 2016, 9:33 PM
Hamilton sets down demands in LRT agreement with Metrolinx (http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-story/6247706-hamilton-sets-down-demands-in-lrt-agreement-with-metrolinx/)
(Stoney Creek News, Kevin Werner, Jan 25 2016)

With construction problems at Tim Hortons Field still fresh in politicians’ minds, Ancaster councillor Lloyd Ferguson insisted that any agreement the city has with Metrolinx over building the light rail transit system should include penalties for any cost overruns.

“We need to have a statement (in the memorandum of agreement),” said Ferguson, who oversaw the Tim Hortons Field project. “There should be serious consequences if it comes in late.”

He also didn’t want Metrolinx to bill Hamilton for any cost overruns.

Ferguson discovered that once the city signed its agreements with Infrastructure Ontario, which oversaw all the facility construction projects for the Pan Am Games, including the stadium, the city was forced to sit back and do nothing when the project failed repeatedly to meet deadlines.

Ferguson doesn’t want the same experience to occur with Metrolinx overseeing the $1 billion project.

He said once the city signs the MOA with Metrolinx, Hamilton will have to sit on the sidelines, so it’s imperative Hamilton gets what it wants now before approving the draft document.

The MOA spells out the responsibilities Metrolinx and the city have when it comes to the project. Paul Johnson, director of LRT project co-ordinator, said Metrolinx will be paying the entire capital cost of the project. That includes any costs such as replacing sewers, sidewalks and roads, he said.

If the city wants to enhance those services, Hamilton will have to pay for the additional cost. It was a statement that was applauded by councillors.

“That is great news,” said Ward 4 councillor Sam Merulla during the Light Rail Transit sub-committee meeting Jan. 25.

Johnson said Metrolinx also agrees to build the spur LRT line along James Street to the waterfront within the $1 billion budget.

Construction for the LRT is scheduled to begin late in 2018, and continue to 2024 when it is slated to open. The procurement process, including issuing tenders, is set to begin late in 2016 and take upwards of 20 months, a normal time for a project of this scope, said Andrew Hope, director of Hamilton’s Light Rail transit.

Hope said any environmental appeals, or other opposition to the project that could delay it will be mitigated and won’t be an obstacle.

johnnyhamont
Jan 25, 2016, 9:54 PM
LRT spur line might not go on James Street North after all
By Samantha Craggs, CBC News Posted: Jan 25, 2016 3:26 PM ET

For the past year, images of Hamilton's future light rail transit (LRT) system have shown a line going down James Street North to the west harbour.

But the city's LRT co-ordinator says the system may travel down one of Bay, Hughson or John streets instead.

'We're still in an evaluation phase as a group.'
- Paul Johnson LRT co-ordinator
Paul Johnson says James Street North may not be chosen as the route for the north-south spur line, depending on what Metrolinx finds as it plans for it.

Metrolinx and the city are weighing factors such as underground infrastructure, traffic patterns and the potential impact on the community, Johnson said. And it's looking at "that John-through-Bay corridor."

"There are still a lot of conversations still," he said. "It's not just dusting off the whole thing and saying, 'Here you go.' We're looking at the entire route."

LRT: How does city prevent it from becoming another stadium debacle?
James Street North's LRT surprise: What will it mean for street's revival?
Last year, the province pledged $1 billion for LRT in Hamilton. The main line will run along King Street between McMaster University and the Queenston traffic circle. It will also have a north-south spur line going from King Street to at least the West Harbour GO station, or the waterfront if budget permits. The memorandum of agreement, and all plans so far, assume the line is going to the waterfront, Johnson said.

Newer part of project

The King Street part of the project has been in the works for years. But the north-south line, Johnson said, is "a newer part of the project," so "we're still in an evaluation phase as a group."

Metrolinx will pay for and own the system, which is expected to launch in 2024. On Monday, city councillors on the LRT subcommittee approved a draft memorandum of agreement.

Under the agreement, Metrolinx largely maintains control over the project, including assuming any cost overruns. The city's only authority is over parts of its own infrastructure.

If crews uncover old infrastructure that needs to be replaced, Metrolinx will pay to replace it, Johnson told councillors. That's the case as long as the replacement equipment doesn't increase the capacity or functionality.

Toronto firm Steer Davies Gleave is designing the system. Metrolinx and the city hope to consult the public in May or June on "key elements" of the project, Johnson said. That will likely include where the north-south line goes.

Dr Awesomesauce
Jan 26, 2016, 12:51 AM
Hughson northbound to the CN station and then back on to James to the waterfront.

Potentially taking LRT off James between King and Barton is a tough call. I understand it but...

Jon Dalton
Jan 26, 2016, 8:51 PM
I don't want to see a loop. Having different stops according to which direction you're going is a pain in the ass and it costs more. If they put it on James the businesses will just have to swallow it. It's like a hipster paradise with money overflowing into the street right? No reason to complain. What I also don't want is mixed traffic anywhere on the LRT. It will ruin the efficiency of the system and people will say we spent a billion dollars on something no better than buses. And they will mostly be right.

So I'd rather see them do it properly on James or else leave James the way it is and put LRT on MacNab or Hughson - one of those - two ways. Actually I'm leaning more towards leaving James the way it is - not because I think LRT would ruin it but because it's one of the precious few things the city did a good job of, and it's not even that old. It would be a shame to tear it up.

I should drop into the new LRT office and tell them all this. I'm sure my opinion is really important.

Dr Awesomesauce
Jan 27, 2016, 12:26 AM
^I'm sure they'd love that! ;)

The Gore
Jan 27, 2016, 1:00 AM
I like the Hughson Street scenario. Hughson Street S. starts right at the front doors of Hunter Street Station and Hughson N ends at Discovery Drive. Nice corridor through the downtown which runs one block west of John and one block east of James.

HillStreetBlues
Jan 27, 2016, 2:18 AM
What I also don't want is mixed traffic anywhere on the LRT. It will ruin the efficiency of the system and people will say we spent a billion dollars on something no better than buses. And they will mostly be right.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but a lot of the LRT is going to be in mixed traffic. I think that's unfortunate, too, but it's the way it's going to be. I think the inevitable criticisms of that will probably be accurate, as you say.

Hughson seems good to me for the same reason that I think Main would be smarter than King: more potential. James North is doing great, and LRT wouldn't add much and could even detract. Putting it on Hughson (and Main...) adds redevelopment opportunities probably superfluous on James or King.

ScreamingViking
Jan 27, 2016, 4:23 AM
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but a lot of the LRT is going to be in mixed traffic. I think that's unfortunate, too, but it's the way it's going to be. I think the inevitable criticisms of that will probably be accurate, as you say.

Hughson seems good to me for the same reason that I think Main would be smarter than King: more potential. James North is doing great, and LRT wouldn't add much and could even detract. Putting it on Hughson (and Main...) adds redevelopment opportunities probably superfluous on James or King.

The plan is to run it in dedicated lanes. The International Village was the only stretch of the B-Line where it had yet to be decided whether to run in mixed traffic or close the street to automobiles.

I'm not sure Hughson makes a lot of sense. It dead-ends in front of LIUNA Station with no crossing over the CN tracks, so a direct connection to the waterfront would require a bridge or a detour onto James or John (likely James to meet up with the West Harbour GO station directly). It's also a narrower street fronting lots of houses north of the armouries... so running in mixed traffic is the only option there, as opposed to eliminating parking on James and keeping two lanes of car traffic for example.

markbarbera
Jan 27, 2016, 3:35 PM
Dear Metrolinx architects, please bin the current design for Hamilton's LRT and have the B-Line run on Main Street so it may operate as it should along a 100% dedicated route, with minimal impact on existing commercial business during construction.

For the A-Line, please remove automobile traffic on Hughson Street and have the A-Line run along the stretch between Main and Murray which can be a pedestrian zone along with dedicated LRT and cycle tracks linking the two GO stations. Have the southbound A-Line loop west at Hunter to MacNab, south to Main, then east on Main to Hughson. Have the northbound A-Line loop west at Murray to Bay, north from Bay to Strachan, then return southbound back from Strachan to Hughson along a newly constructed bridge to span the CN tracks. Phase Two can have A-Line extend north along Hughson and Discovery, looping at Pier 8, and B-Line extended along Queenston to Centennial, then North along Centennial to the future Centennial GO station.

mattgrande
Jan 27, 2016, 3:54 PM
Dear Metrolinx architects, please bin the current design for Hamilton's LRT and have the B-Line run on Main Street so it may operate as it should along a 100% dedicated route, with minimal impact on existing commercial business during construction.

For the A-Line, please remove automobile traffic on Hughson Street and have the A-Line run along the stretch between Main and Murray which can be a pedestrian zone along with dedicated LRT and cycle tracks linking the two GO stations. Have the southbound A-Line loop west at Hunter to MacNab, south to Main, then east on Main to Hughson. Have the northbound A-Line loop west at Murray to Bay, north from Bay to Strachan, then return southbound back from Strachan to Hughson along a newly constructed bridge to span the CN tracks. Phase Two can have A-Line extend north along Hughson and Discovery, looping at Pier 8, and B-Line extended along Queenston to Centennial, then North along Centennial to the future Centennial GO station.

:cheers:

Jon Dalton
Jan 27, 2016, 8:12 PM

The first part makes a lot of sense. Planning for LRT started a long time ago and there was a lot of focus on integrating with the streetscape of King St which at the time needed a lot of help. The economic uplift argument seemed to take priority over concerns about speed and efficiency. Now there are not many vacant stores and new projects like the Connaught are underway. Main Street on the other hand has little to lose from the construction hassles and as far as street vibrancy goes it has nowhere to go but up.

Dr Awesomesauce
Jan 27, 2016, 11:51 PM
I need a map...

CaptainKirk
Jan 28, 2016, 12:44 PM
The first part makes a lot of sense. Planning for LRT started a long time ago and there was a lot of focus on integrating with the streetscape of King St which at the time needed a lot of help. The economic uplift argument seemed to take priority over concerns about speed and efficiency. Now there are not many vacant stores and new projects like the Connaught are underway. Main Street on the other hand has little to lose from the construction hassles and as far as street vibrancy goes it has nowhere to go but up.

What you say is true but for a small stretch that is downtown. The majority of the eastern portion og King St could uses that uplift (and Main too, east of the delta)

That's why the one way portion of Main should be converted to two way. it's got too many lanes as it is. It's perfect for "helping out" with car traffic along King when LRT tracks get laid.

Dr Awesomesauce
Jan 29, 2016, 12:34 AM
^That's a valid point about making that part Main two way to take the pressure off King.

And, yeah, that section of King (east of Wellington) is really, really poor. Perhaps it could be rejuvenated, in part, by making it two-way and adding bike lanes etc. rather than having LRT run on it but, yeah, a good point regardless.

I don't think any two people will ever agree on the precise route LRT should take through the city. I guess we should just be thankful we're getting it and not worry too much about the minutiae of it all... :slob:

old
Jan 29, 2016, 1:34 AM
I used to agree that it should be along king street - though now i do agree with the main street idea - mainly because Main St. has a lot of room to grow, and should, while king would be better suited to keep to its older character and will be more likely to improve based on its building stock.

I don't think branching out to the go station as part of the B-Line is a good idea. I don't see why we couldn't have a dedicated single-line rail car that blasts back and forth between a B-line terminal and the West harbour (could also include Hunter). It's such a short distance that i don't see why we'd need two separate tracks, this is just more construction, more space required, more battling with traffic, etc.) Plus you basically only have to dedicate one transit medium/vehicle. You could also make provisions to integrate it into a future A-line.

It just seems like the most cost effective solution to the issue of connection to West Harbour, without hindering the effectiveness of the crosstown route. The B Line which would lose a lot of day-to-day momentum to divert to a place that most people probably won't need to be going other than the commuting hours. And we're ideally building the A-Line someday.

eatboots
Jan 29, 2016, 7:06 AM
And, yeah, that section of King (east of Wellington) is really, really poor. Perhaps it could be rejuvenated, in part, by making it two-way and adding bike lanes etc. rather than having LRT run on it but, yeah, a good point regardless.

There is lots of potential on King from Wellington right up to Wentworth, however Wentworth to Sandford/Arthur is going to need some demolition to make it useable, it's an awful, desolate stretch of nothing, there aren't even any good buildings to reuse. Then at Stirton it gets okay again. I'm surprised that Main and King are as awful as they are, the houses south of King are fantastic. In any other city there would be tons of little places to serve them, in Hamilton it's a couple of highways.

ScreamingViking
Jan 30, 2016, 6:26 AM
What you say is true but for a small stretch that is downtown. The majority of the eastern portion og King St could uses that uplift (and Main too, east of the delta)

That's why the one way portion of Main should be converted to two way. it's got too many lanes as it is. It's perfect for "helping out" with car traffic along King when LRT tracks get laid.

Agree on both points. :tup:

drpgq
Jan 31, 2016, 9:50 PM
I've argued before that the loop down to the new GO station is pointless and counterproductive. If eventually an A-line gets built for LRT then build the track then. This is purely driven by Metrolinx wanting to connect up with the new GO station. Just leave that connection as buses.

SteelTown
Feb 11, 2016, 2:39 AM
Hamilton city council voted in favour this evening to sign the memorandum of agreement with Metrolinx over light-rail transit.

Jon Dalton
Feb 11, 2016, 8:16 PM
I've argued before that the loop down to the new GO station is pointless and counterproductive. If eventually an A-line gets built for LRT then build the track then. This is purely driven by Metrolinx wanting to connect up with the new GO station. Just leave that connection as buses.

Yep. Connecting to Eastgate transit terminal is way more important. That's where all the Stoney Creek buses start. Nothing connects to the Queenston traffic circle. And for the next 10 years basically nothing connects to the West Harbour GO station.

matt602
Feb 11, 2016, 11:07 PM
Yep. Connecting to Eastgate transit terminal is way more important. That's where all the Stoney Creek buses start. Nothing connects to the Queenston traffic circle. And for the next 10 years basically nothing connects to the West Harbour GO station.

I've always agreed with this. The portion from the traffic circle to Eastgate should have never been dropped for this almost completely pointless loop up to the West Harbour GO. Not having that connectivity is going to negatively impact early ridership numbers and throw the LRT's image askew. This is what happens when the government of Ontario gets involved in things...

MalcolmTucker
Feb 11, 2016, 11:20 PM
Maybe the Hammer could apply for Buildling Canada/Unnamed New Transit Fund for the last little phase, and prestochange-o! Leverage the funds.

matt602
Feb 12, 2016, 12:45 AM
Maybe the Hammer could apply for Buildling Canada/Unnamed New Transit Fund for the last little phase, and prestochange-o! Leverage the funds.

I think those funds would be better off going toward the new bus garage at this point.

Beedok
Feb 12, 2016, 2:27 AM
Maybe the city can buy up the rest of the block between Queenston and Main. Then they can turn that into some sort of transit hub?

That or point out to metrolinx they're missing out on linking the LRT to the Centennial Go station and get them all in a flurry about connectivity.

fuller
Feb 12, 2016, 6:14 AM
Has everybody already forgotten how the LRT route came to end at the Queenston Road traffic circle?

With sitting Ward 5 Councillor Chad Collins posturing to drive a stake through the heart of the project if it ran through his ward, the province, knowing that the route could easily be extended in another phase, truncated the work such that the implementation would only occur in wards with a supportive councillor, wards 1,2,3 and 4.

With budget already allocated by Metrolinx, the funds were reapplied to create the north-most section of the A-Line in those same receptive wards.

The Province has been trying to get these lines built since well before the Pan-Am Games but it is local politicians who have/had been keeping it from happening.

With such long timelines, by the time the first phase is underway Councillor Collins may have completed the transition to adulthood and his constituents will presumably be telling him that they want this valuable service extended into their area too.

drpgq
Feb 13, 2016, 12:31 AM
How much are the federal Liberals now promising for infrastructure over their term? Providing Hamilton gets its prorated share (equal to approximately 20% of whatever Toronto proper gets) that has to be enough to get to Eastgate and maybe the bus barn too.

I say the rest of council ignores the former video store clerk and the Spec get behind the idea as well.

HillStreetBlues
Feb 13, 2016, 2:38 AM
I'm all for council ignoring the video store clerk, but why would Hamilton's "share" of Metrolinx funding be 20%? HSR ridership has been fairly stagnant, and its council and populace resistant to embracing transit...why would Hamilton get a fifth of the funding Toronto does for transit?

drpgq
Feb 16, 2016, 8:04 PM
I'm personally partial to federal funding being handed out on a per capita basis, especially if it is stimulus funded by debt. Doesn't seem crazy to me and I would hope our MPs would fight for that.

thistleclub
Mar 21, 2016, 11:55 AM
‘Transit first’ LRT option would close part of King St. to cars (http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/6398864-dreschel-transit-first-lrt-option-would-close-part-of-king-st-to-cars/)
(Hamilton Spectator, Andrew Dreschel, Mar 21 2016)

Hamilton's LRT planners are working on a new "transit first" approach to the $1 billion project that puts greater emphasis on the right-of-way of trains.

The Spectator has learned that, among other features, the concept proposes to:

• Run LRT on two centre lanes throughout the McMaster University to Queenston Circle corridor except for downtown's International Village.

• Turn International Village from Walnut to Wellington streets into an LRT "Transit Mall" closed to other through traffic.

• Limit left turns to main intersections along the corridor, with side streets and private driveways restricted to right in, right out turns to minimize vehicles crossing the tracks.

• Make King Street two-way between Dundurn and the Delta.

• Create a single traffic lane running in each direction alongside LRT for much of the route.

• Segregate LRT from traffic with a vertical or mountable curb for emergency vehicles.

The upside to this "transit first" approach, according to leaked planning material, is a safer, faster more reliable system that improves the "people-versus-cars" carrying capacity of the 11-kilometre route.

The concept is also expected to promote greater transit ridership and social and economic benefits.

The downside includes increased property acquisition, decreased street parking, unspecified traffic impacts, and loading and delivery difficulties for commercial properties along the route.

Paul Johnson, the city's LRT co-coordinator, confirms the gist if not the specifics. He says "transit first" is being explored as a way to make the system operate more efficiently and "future proof" it for expected growth.

He defines "transit first" as design principles intended to make LRT as "rapid and reliable" as possible, a goal achieved by setting it apart from other traffic as much as viable. There is, Johnson says, a "clear reordering of priority" happening.

"Our design is trying to ensure rapid and reliable LRT and we're doing everything we can to look at the old design and new ways of operating to make that happen."

"We're discussing and finalizing how that's going to look."

He hopes to bring design recommendations to city council's LRT subcommittee in early May and start public consultations through late June and into the summer.

"The recommendations will be the best of what we've had on paper in the past and the best of what we're bringing forward to make this a rapid and reliable piece of work."

Johnson underlined that public input will be important in nailing down many of the details. "I can't stress this enough: We want the feedback."

He hopes to have a final design recommendation ready by September.

Read it in full here (http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/6398864-dreschel-transit-first-lrt-option-would-close-part-of-king-st-to-cars/).

Beedok
Mar 21, 2016, 12:28 PM
The Calgary street with the C-Train still had a level of commercial activity from what I saw, so it shouldn't be too big a deal.

BaconPoutine
Mar 21, 2016, 4:46 PM
There's going to be a huge shift of traffic to Cannon St I guess... Not exactly the best plan as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure that the International Village business owners will be displeased as well.