PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Transit

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

MalcolmTucker
Jan 20, 2011, 6:35 PM
Hard to tell from the renders - is it obvious on any other public documents if they are building or leaving room to run multiple unit trains in the future if need be?

SteelTown
Jan 20, 2011, 6:38 PM
Main Boards (14.5 MB)
http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/2F589669-B5FF-43F4-BFD6-70007E05DC4C/0/MAINCONSULTATIONBOARDS.pdf

Design Boards (17.5 MB)
http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/DA2FC4AD-8CB6-467A-A330-039A756A2ADF/0/SCHEMEPLANSWITHMONTAGESforweb.pdf

matt602
Jan 21, 2011, 12:14 AM
From what I heard it's near the West Harbour. Would be the yard for B-Line and A-Line.

Except that doesn't make sense unless one were to assume:

- They build both lines at the same time
- Both lines are LRT
- If neither of these two, a special track system would need to be designed to take LRT cars from the B-Line, North to the WH area.

I think this was more based on when it was looking very likely that West Harbor would be the Pan-Am area.

markhornich
Jan 23, 2011, 2:48 AM
i talked to jill stephen and some other people on the 'rapid transit team', and i was surprised to find that no one that is employed to direct the future development of hamilton's public transit has given any thought to a 24-hour bus route (which i think should essentially run Mac-Eastgate, taking over once the LRT ends at 1:30am, and ending once the LRT starts up again).

I understand there are some hurdles, but even an hourly bus in each direction would be a huge positive for the freedom of movement in this city, and i dont think the buses would be empty. However, I found that i was the only person campaigning for/suggesting this.

What are everyone's thoughts on such a route?

Berklon
Jan 23, 2011, 3:48 AM
I cant believe there'd be many passengers at all to warrant running 24 hours. Plus if they're going to do that - why not just let LRT run in those hours with much less frequency? Why does it have to be a bus?

emge
Jan 23, 2011, 5:57 AM
If a bus runs 24 hours, it's more a question of future ridership based on jobs, but also whether there's viable transportation options for businesses with very early/late hours that aren't car-centric.

I've taken the "blue line" buses in Toronto a few times - whether heading to an early morning job that starts at 4 a.m., or heading home from a night shift, they're pretty valuable to have for people who would otherwise require a car. (Or late at night after a night out). I've waited at empty stops and at stops with a dozen people, and often the buses were half-full. Sometimes they were empty, though.

I don't think it's a question of "will these buses be jammed with enough fare-paying passengers to offset the cost" but "will this city provide another service that makes transit a viable option for greater numbers of people in a greater number of situations"?

beanmedic
Jan 23, 2011, 10:09 AM
Why should the city lose money to operate buses at 4am when they probably won't be full?

On a related note, why does the city continue to operate swimming pools that barely generate enough money to pay their staff?

Also, why does the city continue to spend millions to build and maintain roads only to let people drive on them for free?

If you know the answer to one, you know the answer to all three.

flar
Jan 23, 2011, 2:12 PM
I would have loved 24 hour bus service back when I lived in Dundas. I've taken the bus at 3 or 4 am in Ottawa on a few occasions. There were people using it. There are some drunk people at that time of night, I suspect that's the holdup in Hamilton.

markhornich
Jan 24, 2011, 5:52 AM
ok, so (for example) flar, when you were living in Dundas, were there a few nights that you would've ridden the HSR home even if it was really late and only dropped you off at Mac?

I think that the option has to be available before people start putting themselves in situations that require late night access. I feel that though there isn't much that is going on in Hamilton at the moment, whatever is going on is probably going on within a stone's throw of the B Line corridor, and there live most of the people that are likely to be participating. I think it would help a lot with making us not one of those cities that completely shuts down at night.

Considering how many drinking and driving incidents there are in our city (reference the latest Spec "Police Blotter") ....i'm surprised there are so few calls for late night transit options.

flar
Jan 24, 2011, 1:30 PM
Terminating at Mac would have been useless for me, just like the LRT will be for Dundas residents.

As an aside, I just don't get why they wouldn't continue the LRT into Dundas, which is one of the highest density nodes outside the lower city and has a large shopping district, lots of seniors without cars, students and the types of professionals who would actually use transit if it was decent (ie, not the grossly unreliable 52 bus)

padthai
Jan 31, 2011, 7:19 PM
Did anyone attend either of the recent reviews of the draft design?
Any updates/news?
I see there's another one this Wednesday - I may check it out.

http://www.hamilton.ca/ProjectsInitiatives/RapidTransit/

padthai
Jan 31, 2011, 7:22 PM
BTW, I laughed out loud at the top comment on the YouTube rendering of the project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJVa-rSXOSA

"This isn't Hamilton. I don't see a single scooter." :haha:

miketoronto
Feb 1, 2011, 12:10 AM
I cant believe there'd be many passengers at all to warrant running 24 hours. Plus if they're going to do that - why not just let LRT run in those hours with much less frequency? Why does it have to be a bus?

Guelph operates almost 24 hour transit service on I believe Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, with last buses at about 3 or 4am.

If they can support it, I am sure Hamilton can.

drpgq
Feb 1, 2011, 4:57 PM
Guelph operates almost 24 hour transit service on I believe Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, with last buses at about 3 or 4am.

If they can support it, I am sure Hamilton can.

I can never understand why the city can't at least run the King on those nights. Maybe there's a problem with having to staff extra supervisors and maintenance staff for those hours or maybe the fact Mac students already have bus passes so there's going to be less extra revenue. The MSU should ask for this service in their next funding referendum.

drpgq
Feb 4, 2011, 3:31 PM
Check out this weird animation of the HSR on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Whhnggo00. Somebody posted the link on the Hamilton subreddit and I thought the denizens here might find it interesting

matt602
Feb 6, 2011, 12:59 AM
That is actually really cool.

SteelTown
Feb 7, 2011, 1:54 PM
So it appears the Federal Conservatives brushed off Hamilton's LRT funding request.

Summed up use the Federal gas tax or join the P3.

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/D3D4F55B-F7E1-4307-803B-05155BBC555D/0/Feb09Item53.pdf

The federal government is MIA once again.

MalcolmTucker
Feb 7, 2011, 3:55 PM
How do you think other cities fund transit via the federal government? It is all through the gas tax / new deal for cities and communities funds. There isn't a special fund to tap into for federal funding of projects. If you want an exceptional amount for transit, you stretch the project timelines and decide not to renovate community centres for a while.

Heck, Edmonton took out a huge loan against future value of the gas tax transfer to pay for its south LRT line.

I am surprised this is news to the city of Hamilton.

SteelTown
Feb 7, 2011, 4:08 PM
On Thursday September 2nd, Prime Minister Stephen Harper visited Kitchener to announce that the federal government would contribute up to $265 million of the $800 million needed to build a rapid transit system linking Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambridge. The federal government agreed to fund one-third of the proposed system as part of the Building Canada Plan.

http://iwarrior.uwaterloo.ca/2010/09/29/pm-announces-265-million-for-rapid-transit-in-the-waterloo-region/

The federal government will contribute $600 million toward Ottawa's new proposed light-rail transit plan.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/06/08/ottawa-infrastructure-baird.html#ixzz1DI2mIMUz

Canada is contributing as much as $59 million to the City of Mississauga

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/weblog/2010/08/18-part_1_--_.shtml

Harper and McGuinty said that together they'll commit $950 million — two-thirds from Ontario and one-third from Ottawa — to build the LRT.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/05/15/lrt-annoncement.html#ixzz1DI3mux9c

MalcolmTucker
Feb 7, 2011, 4:45 PM
All those funds are out of the gas tax / new deal for cities of communities that is now the Building Canada Plan. Which:

Funding will be allocated for projects in the various provinces and territories based on their population (as of the 2006 Census)

Over the ten year timeline of the Ottawa project, the $600 million is more than covered in existing federal transfers. It is similar for all these communities for these projects. Hamilton is not being screwed - no one is getting extra money (besides Toronto for Waterfront revitalization through Waterfront Toronto)

SteelTown
Feb 7, 2011, 11:01 PM
Alderman says there will be no LRT money from province

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/482613--alderman-says-there-will-be-no-lrt-money-from-province

Councillor Sam Merulla says the provincial government won’t provide Hamilton with the funding it is expecting for rapid transit.

“I’ve been informed that the money is not forthcoming from the province,” Merulla said Monday.

However, the city’s director of rapid transit, the press secretary for the Minister of Transportation and a representative from the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce say they’ve received no indication that the province is pulling back on Hamilton’s LRT funding.

“To be perfectly honest, we don’t know where those comments are coming from,” said Kelly Baker, press secretary to Minister of Transportation Kathleen Wynne. “We’re committed to building transit in Hamilton.”

Merulla made the comments in open session during Monday’s public works meeting just before an update from Jill Stephen, the city’s director of rapid transit.

“We’re at the point where the entire community is engaged in a discussion that is more of a concept than a reality,” Merulla said. “I don’t want to go through a dog and pony show.”

Later, Merulla said he heard the information from a “Queen’s Park source,” but wouldn’t offer any specifics.

“The bottom line is Hamilton won’t be seeing the promised amount,” he wrote in an e-mail. “Also, we are last or near last on the priority list. We won’t be a priority for about a decade or more.”

Stephen said the city hasn’t heard anything official from either the province or its transportation agency, Metrolinx, about funding. She added her team would consider a public-private partnership if necessary.

“A question that we’ve had is how much is this going to cost the city, and in terms of how we answer that, we’re going to look at how this can be paid for,” Stephen said. “Nothing’s off the table at this point.”

Ministry of Transportation representatives said the fact Hamilton just received $22.5 million to build the Pan Am stadium shouldn’t affect the city’s chances of getting funding for LRT.

“There’s no connection between one and the other,” said Baker.

Richard Koroscil, Hamilton Chamber of Commerce representative and CEO of John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport, said he also hasn’t heard anything from the province about Hamilton’s LRT funding. The chamber has been actively encouraging the city to lobby the province for that money.

“I’m not even sure we really made our ask yet,” he said. “I still encourage the city to get out there.”

LikeHamilton
Feb 8, 2011, 12:13 AM
I heard this about 2 weeks ago from a very reliable Queens Park source. They said they would not have any money for Hamilton or some other projects in other communities. They are at least $1 billion short on funding money for transit in this province. You have a better chance getting funding for a small project than a large one. And no money from the feds!
:dead: LRT - RIP

coalminecanary
Feb 8, 2011, 3:42 AM
glad they are blowing 22 million extra on a stadium then

MalcolmTucker
Feb 8, 2011, 4:18 AM
Everyone in the province is on a 10 year time frame. If you expect once council has approved the routing to start construction immediately (or within a short order) one would have to be daft.

That doesn't mean money isn't coming, and doesn't mean the project is dead. The government needs votes in Hamilton just as much as they do in Waterloo.

dennis1
Feb 8, 2011, 5:22 AM

I know I mean come on.

matt602
Feb 9, 2011, 12:35 AM

Unfortunately keeping a football team means so much more to this city than addressing transit capacity issues and investing in economic development. For every step Hamilton takes forward, it seems like 3 steps are taken back.

BCTed
Feb 9, 2011, 4:21 AM
Unfortunately keeping a football team means so much more to this city than addressing transit capacity issues and investing in economic development. For every step Hamilton takes forward, it seems like 3 steps are taken back.

It's much easier to make the argument that the existing stadium is very near obsolescence than it is to make the argument that the HSR does not have appropriate capacity. Myself, I would much rather see a Hamilton with a CFL team and no light rail than a Hamilton with no CFL team and light rail. Such comparisons are also largely apples and oranges, as most of the funding does indeed come from different buckets.

coalminecanary
Feb 9, 2011, 4:13 PM
end-of-life of the facilities is one thing. But when there is more priority given to a private sports team which "showcases" hamilton on TV 8 times a year (if you can call that area of the city a showcase) to a fanbase that is aging and dwindling...

I mean, LRT is about economic development, it's about a public necessity to get around the city for work and play...

It's just astounding to me the total divergence of opinion when it comes to spending. The knee jerk in this city for football is "spend whatever it takes" and the knee jerk for transit is "cut spending". Priorities more out of whack than Cameron's father.

drpgq
Feb 9, 2011, 4:40 PM
I can understand looking at the stadium and LRT together in terms of costs, but if the city is going to do LRT there's a lot of other things in the budget that need to be looked at. For instance the police budget. If I can recall it is going up by about 5% this year, mostly due to increased wages. Personally I would much prefer to keep the budget increase at something reasonable like 2 to 3% and use the saved money for the LRT. Would some difficult choices have to be made? Sure. Two weeks ago at around 9:30 pm I saw two cops from the equestrian unit clipclopping down Bay Street South with nary an individual in sight. Sure the equestrian unit might be good PR for trying to shake down the taxpayer for more cash, but it is just a waste of money.

markbarbera
Feb 9, 2011, 5:25 PM
I would expect that menitoning the stadium in this forum is more about trolling for reaction than attempting a sicere discussion on the status of rapid transit. However, on the off-chance that the comments are being made sincerely, I have to say that BCTed is correct when he says, from a provincial funding perspective, we are talking different buckets here.

The province is putting $57.5 million towards the $152 million cost of the stadium. $35 million is coming through TO2015 funding and the rest is being channelled directly from the province to the city.

The proposed LRT has a current estimated cost of $800 million, and the city is hoping the feds and province will cover $670 million of that cost. Assuming an even fed/prov split, $335 is the provincial portion towards LRT. This money will be coming from Metrolinx's $4.85 billion capital budget that it has allocated for their Category 3 projects, of which Hamilton RT is one of 15 projects.

coalminecanary
Feb 9, 2011, 7:33 PM
I am not trolling for anything. I am commenting on opinions I have read from staff, council and the general public who it appears simply cannot see the value in transit spending. When a councillor spews this kind of rumour it is doing us no favours in terms of transit future.

SteelTown
May 19, 2011, 6:38 PM
New website....

http://www.hamiltonrapidtransit.ca/

SteelTown
Jun 18, 2011, 3:30 PM
LRT neighbourhood planning meetings to begin

http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/549656--lrt-neighbourhood-planning-meetings-to-begin

Hamiltonians will have a chance to bring their vision for a light-rail transit corridor to life during a series of public meetings around six key neighbourhoods along the proposed route.

Citizens and local architects will be tasked the next few weeks with creating conceptual designs for buildings and public areas around station stops on Queenston, King and Main streets. The wider public will be able to provide comments on the designs, which will then be considered in drafting policies on land uses, building heights, densities and urban design elements.

In the event of a strike by city workers, the meetings listed below will be cancelled and rescheduled.

Stakeholders such as home and business owners, community groups and business improvement associations have been invited to design sessions with local architects who will use software to create 3D conceptual drawings from the group’s input.

Those concepts will be shown to the public for comment in evening sessions.

“The idea is to stimulate discussion on growth, change and transformation in the corridor,” said Christine Newbold, senior project manager on the city’s transit team.

The six study areas were chosen to represent the wide variety of neighbourhoods along the route and for their potential for transit-spurred development, said Newbold.

“The question is how to make those areas places of activity, vibrant people places.”

Hamilton is about halfway — at five on a scale of 1 to 10 — in its LRT design process, says Jill Stephen, the city’s director of rapid transit.

A lot of the big work has been done, says Stephen, including choosing a route and stop locations, analyzing traffic and subsurface impacts and developing a financing model.

Still to come are the heavy technical engineering drawings and details and an environmental assessment.

Stephen says the goal will be to reach level six by the end of the year. That will bring design work to a 30 per cent design, meaning the project can be easily visualized and there are some measurements in place.

“You couldn’t build it from that design, but the big elements are in place. You can show it to people and they can see what it will look like running past their door. and what kind of impacts it will have on intersections and driveways.”

An environmental assessment must also be completed by the end of the year. Under an agreement with Metrolinx, the city received $3 million for design work in exchange for meeting milestone deadlines.

A notice of commencement for an environmental assessment was issued Friday. That kicks off four months of consultations, a month of appeals and questions and then the province has 35 days to render a decision.

Stephen says the transit EA process is scaled down from others.

“It’s based on the premise that transit is a good idea, so we don’t have to prove that.”

The grounds for appeal are also narrower.

Stephen says there is likely at least another year of design work ahead beyond the work being completed in 2011. Construction of the 16-kilometre corridor from Eastgate Square to McMaster University will take several years.

Councillor Chad Collins wonders if all this design work isn’t putting the cart before the horse, because the city doesn’t know what its ultimate financial contribution will be.

There is nothing allocated in the capital budget, so Collins says the money will have to come from cutting back in other areas or from a tax increase. He says he doesn’t believe Hamilton taxpayers have an appetite for either option.

“My concern is that this is starting to look a lot like the (Pan Am) stadium debate. We’re talking about buying property in some instances … and we don’t have a clear understanding of the roles and responsibilities the city will have.”

Collins says LRT is an important public debate, but until costs and senior government funding are known, the ongoing design work may be for nothing.

After years of controversy, Waterloo Region council this week voted 9-2 to build an $818-million, 19-kilometre rail system.

Unlike Hamilton, the project in Waterloo has been the subject of organized and vocal citizen opposition, and also has the backing of up to $565 million in provincial and federal funding. Nothing has been allocated to Hamilton.

Waterloo taxpayers will face up to a 7 per cent tax hike to pay for the transit upgrade, phased in over seven years. That’s a total of about $450 between 2012 and 2018 on a home assessed at $254,000.

The trains are expected to be running by 2017.

mmacleod@thespec.com

905-526-3408

LRT design workshops

Longwood Road and Main Street West study area

Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church

1107 Main St. W. (at Cline Avenue)

Tuesday, June 21, at 7 p.m.

The Queenston Traffic Circle and Parkdale Avenue study area

St. Columba Presbyterian Church

1540 Main St. E. (at Weir Street)

Thursday, June 23, at 7 p.m.

Dundurn Street and King Street West study area

The Scottish Rite Round Room

4 Queen St. S. (at King Street)

Monday, June 27 at 7 p.m.

The Delta and Ottawa Street study area

Delta United Church

47 Ottawa St. S.

Tuesday, June 28 at 7 p.m.

Wentworth Street and King Street East study area

Festival Banquet Centre

747 King St. E.

Tuesday, July 5 at 7 p.m.

Nash Road and Queenston Road study area

Red Hill branch of the Hamilton Public Library

695 Queenston Rd.

Wednesday July 6, 7 p.m.

The conceptual designs will be available for viewing and comment at www.hamilton.ca/nodesandcorridors until July 22.

SteelTown
Jun 21, 2011, 11:53 PM
http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/551339--who-ll-champion-transit-in-hamilton

DC1983
Jun 22, 2011, 11:44 AM
http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/551339--who-ll-champion-transit-in-hamilton
^^ source

Keynote speaker Paul Bedford, a member of the Metrolinx board of directors and a former chief planner for Toronto, bluntly pointed out the absence.

“There are no politicians here and that disappoints me. The mayor should be here and the whole damn council. Political leadership is essential. You need champions who push and make a lot of noise.”

Shocker.

SteelTown
Jun 23, 2011, 1:48 PM
Notice of Commencement of Transit Project Assessment Process
B-Line Rapid Transit Project

The Project

The City of Hamilton has developed a plan for the introduction of Rapid Transit (RT) in the B-Line corridor between McMaster University and Eastgate Square within the next five years. This is part of a strategic plan to enhance transit service in high demand transportation corridors over the next 25 years and beyond.

In 2009, the City completed a Rapid Transit Feasibility Study, which demonstrated overwhelming public support for Light Rail Transit (LRT) and that the introduction of LRT along the B-Line corridor is technically feasible. Further study work since then has refined the project and support has been reinforced through extensive public consultation during 2010 and early 2011.

This project involves the introduction of high frequency Rapid Transit service using LRT. The 13.4 km line will run along Main Street between McMaster University and Highway 403, along King Street from Highway 403 through Downtown to the junction of King Street and Main Street, and along Main Street and Queenston Road to Eastgate Square. In addition to the terminus stations at McMaster University and Eastgate Square, line stations will be strategically located along the route for access by walking, cycling and north-south bus routes.

This map identifies the study boundary of the project.
The Process

This project is being implemented in accordance with Ontario Regulation 231/08, Transit Projects and Greater Toronto Transportation Authority Undertakings (Transit Projects Regulation) of the Environmental Assessment Act. An Environmental Project Report is being prepared as part of the Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP) activities and will be available for public review by fall of this year. All information produced as part of this project is available on the City’s Rapid Transit website: www.hamiltonrapidtransit.ca.

Consultation

Members of public, agencies and other interested parties are encouraged to participate actively in this process by attending consultation opportunities or contacting staff directly with information, comments or questions. The City will continue to engage and consult all stakeholders throughout the TPAP period, leading to a series of Public Information Centres (PICs) scheduled for the fall of this year to present the proposed B-Line project. Additional information presented at the PICs will include how the RT plan will be integrated with the City’s land use planning initiatives in the B-Line corridor. Details of the PICs will be published at a later date, posted on our website and distributed through the project’s mailing list.

If you would like to be added to the project mailing list, provide comments or obtain more information, please contact:

City of Hamilton, Rapid Transit Team, Public Works Department
77 James Street North, Suite 400, Hamilton, ON L8R 2K3
Phone: 905-546-2424 Ext. 2553, Fax: 905-546-4435
Email: rapidtransit@hamilton.ca <mailto:rapidtransit@hamilton.ca>
www.hamiltonrapidtransit.ca

SteelTown
Jun 30, 2011, 1:47 AM
In an interview, Bratina said the city’s current unemployment rate of 5.4 per cent shows the economy is performing well and that shows the city is on the right track.

On the thorny transit issues, he said he’s fully supportive of expanded GO service, but has reservations about the LRT plan. He also doesn’t think there’s wide public support for the plan.

“We still haven’t figured out what all the costs of that are going to be,” he said. “We’re not hearing any kind of clamour from the public on that file.”

http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/555635--business-group-says-politicians-dropping-the-ball-on-city-growth

SteelTown
Jun 30, 2011, 3:30 PM
Bratina is on CHML right now, talking about LRT.

mattgrande
Jun 30, 2011, 3:51 PM
What did he say?

woreg75
Jun 30, 2011, 4:11 PM
He would like to consult Bob Young on the matter... He (BY) may take the Tabbies away again if Hamilton takes up any major roads with tracks. Also this will take people out of their cars that could be paying premium parking at the "new looking" stadium..

:D

SteelTown
Jun 30, 2011, 4:20 PM
Bratina was PISSED at that news article and said he might even cancel the July 21st meeting. Called the business group "lobbyist".

He continued with his not supporting LRT until the cost is revealed.

DC1983
Jun 30, 2011, 5:54 PM
In an interview, Bratina said the city’s current unemployment rate of 5.4 per cent shows the economy is performing well and that shows the city is on the right track.

On the thorny transit issues, he said he’s fully supportive of expanded GO service, but has reservations about the LRT plan. He also doesn’t think there’s wide public support for the plan.

“We still haven’t figured out what all the costs of that are going to be,” he said. “We’re not hearing any kind of clamour from the public on that file.”

http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/555635--business-group-says-politicians-dropping-the-ball-on-city-growth

Try again, Bob. Your inner-circle doesn't support change downtown.

If he knew anything, he'd know there's an active dialogue w/in the City on LRT. Most ppl I've spoken to that aren't downtowners support the idea. They see economic benefits!
..Bratina sees traffic headaches during construction.

Jon Dalton
Jun 30, 2011, 11:03 PM
I'm really disappointed Bob has turned lukewarm on LRT. I know he is a diehard train fan and has always been enthusiastic about any kind of rail service in Hamilton. Not only that, but he was an early supporter of light rail when it wasn't even on the city's agenda. I remember him speaking at the first public meeting hosted by Hamilton Light Rail, where he voiced his enthusiasm and was cheered by the crowd. What the hell happened?

matt602
Jul 1, 2011, 5:05 AM
He got elected on a pro-suburban platform. That's what happened. I used to be a huge fan of him whilst he was a councilor but ever since he has become mayor I have been very disappointed in him.

DC1983
Jul 1, 2011, 12:29 PM
I'm really disappointed Bob has turned lukewarm on LRT. I know he is a diehard train fan and has always been enthusiastic about any kind of rail service in Hamilton. Not only that, but he was an early supporter of light rail when it wasn't even on the city's agenda. I remember him speaking at the first public meeting hosted by Hamilton Light Rail, where he voiced his enthusiasm and was cheered by the crowd. What the hell happened?

His previous reservations were based on route (which I agreed w/ him at first) as he prefers Main over King. But all is said and done for King; studies have shown it will work, there IS support (despite what Bratina says), and it needs to happen b4 we miss out on yet another opportunity.

The costs were revealed in the last study, which was paid for by Metrolinx. It just seems he is now surrounded by the typical Suburban-minded lobbyists and he has gone completely soft on the Core.

I was also at one of the first LRT meetings at Frwy Cafe in Int'l Village, were he was VERY supportive of LRT.
How can he ignore the dozens of major supporters such as the Hamilton-Burlington Real Estate Association? That, in my opinion, is one of the best names to have behind a mass rapid transit system!

markbarbera
Jul 1, 2011, 3:23 PM
While the overall cost has been estimated, how the capital cost is to be shared by the various levels of government has not. It is unquestionable that Bratina supports the idea of LRT, but he is not about to commit to this specific proposal until he knows exactly how much it is going to cost the city. This is the kind of prudence one should expect and encourage from a mayor.

Saying Bratina is soft on the core in simply unfair. Bratina was instrumental in reviving the downtown McMaster Health Centre proposal and has been relentless in pursuing the establishment of GO and Via Rail Service to the James North station, a determination that is finally paying off with real results.

CaptainKirk
Jul 1, 2011, 3:36 PM
While the overall cost has been estimated, how the capital cost is to be shared by the various levels of government has not. It is unquestionable that Bratina supports the idea of LRT, but he is not about to commit to this specific proposal until he knows exactly how much it is going to cost the city. This is the kind of prudence one should expect and encourage from a mayor.

Saying Bratina is soft on the core in simply unfair. Bratina was instrumental in reviving the downtown McMaster Health Centre proposal and has been relentless in pursuing the establishment of GO and Via Rail Service to the James North station, a determination that is finally paying off with real results.

Yeah, I think this tempered view is more accurate. As much as I'd love to see LRT, I wouldn't at any cost.

Who knows, this may be is his way of squeaking out more funding from upper levels of gov't.

I'm sure he sees the 7% tax increase and Waterloo, and is leary about trying to pull that off here.

SteelTown
Jul 5, 2011, 10:28 PM
City being ‘backed into a corner’ on LRT: Clark

Meredith MacLeod
http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/558498--city-being-backed-into-a-corner-on-lrt-clark

Councillor Brad Clark says Hamilton needs to “regain control of its destiny” and decide how it will spend its money.

Clark was unhappy with a study into how Hamilton should intensify development along a key lower-city corridor, saying it’s premised on a light-rail transit line the city doesn’t know it will get — or can afford.

“It’s frustrating that we’re doing corridor planning and I don’t really recall saying that’s where we’d do it,” the Stoney Creek councillor said at Tuesday’s planning and economic development committee meeting. “Council has not made that decision. It’s all based around LRT … and we still don’t know where we stand on LRT.”

Clark says the city’s first nodes and corridors land use study that looks at planning for high- and mid-rise development along Queenston, Main and King streets from Eastgate Square to McMaster University (dubbed the B-Line after the HSR express bus line) should be focused instead on Rymal Road, where he says development is happening without any sort of plan in place.

“We are slowly being backed into a corner. People will say we’ve spent all this money (studying LRT) and the work is done but we still don’t know the costs of LRT. We have no exit plan.”

Councillor Chad Collins joined Clark in taking issue with the focus on the B-Line corridor for redevelopment, saying Centennial Parkway or Upper James would be better choices. Collins says investment along the B-Line consists of small scale, adaptive reuse projects rather than new development.

“If 50 to 60 per cent of interest (from developers) is in another place, we might want to put our eggs in another basket but council doesn’t seem to have that option. I feel like I’m following the process rather than leading it.”

He also argued that Hamilton has a better chance of landing enhanced GO service than LRT and the city should be planning for intensification around future GO stations on James Street North and Centennial.

Planning and economic development general manager Tim McCabe said the decision to concentrate on the B-Line corridor came out of a $3 million grant from the province to study, design and engineer a light-rail line from Eastgate to Mac.

He said the work needs to happen in order to plan for intensification along the LRT route, but the B-Line corridor wouldn’t be his first choice, either.

He did add, though, that if Hamilton does attract funding for LRT from upper levels of government and goes ahead with the estimated $800-million project, “the whole investment climate changes. We will get the uplift and we will get the development interest.”

geoff's two cents
Jul 5, 2011, 11:17 PM
:previous: Council members from Stoney Creek and Red Hill are lukewarm on LRT and want more suburban-style development? Shocking. *sarcasm alert*

After the mayor's recent comments, I wonder who on council actually still supports LRT? [PS: I genuinely do wonder this. Does anyone out there have a pro/versus count?]

As much as I'd like all-day GO-train service, focusing on that transit project alone risks turning the city into just another all-day bedroom community of the GTA.

flar
Jul 6, 2011, 2:20 AM
turning the city into just another all-day bedroom community of the GTA.

That's about the extent of their vision for Hamilton. Sad.

markbarbera
Jul 6, 2011, 10:50 AM
I used to be gung-ho on this LRT plan, but my interest waned when the Rapid Transit office put on their blinders and insisted on planning a flawed east-west route on a road that can't accommodate a proper application of rapid transit.

The way this process is plugging forward without meaningful public input disturbs me. Frankly this is shaping up as little more than a busywork project.

drpgq
Jul 6, 2011, 11:45 AM
Clark's position I can sort of see considering his ward, but I'm surprised that Collins is so anti LRT. It would be a major benefit to his ward. I guess he's just really afraid of tax increases.

bigguy1231
Jul 6, 2011, 4:20 PM
Clark's position I can sort of see considering his ward, but I'm surprised that Collins is so anti LRT. It would be a major benefit to his ward. I guess he's just really afraid of tax increases.

I don't think they are anti LRT, it's more like they are getting PO'ed because people are assuming things that haven't been approved yet. They feel some are putting the cart before the horse.

There are many issues that have to be hashed out with the LRT itself before they start planning for other things. The number one issue will be the city's portion of the bill, then the route which is going to be a huge stumbling block to getting it approved.

devil's advocate
Jul 6, 2011, 7:03 PM
Here's an interesting article , on how the swiss do public transit. Can't imagine this would work in Hamilton, but this is something our government should look at more closely for major cities.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/science/earth/27traffic.html?pagewanted=1&hp

DC1983
Jul 6, 2011, 7:03 PM
I don't think they are anti LRT, it's more like they are getting PO'ed because people are assuming things that haven't been approved yet. They feel some are putting the cart before the horse.

There are many issues that have to be hashed out with the LRT itself before they start planning for other things. The number one issue will be the city's portion of the bill, then the route which is going to be a huge stumbling block to getting it approved.

I think you're correct, and I somewhat agree w/ their position (ME? I know, I know!)

The Province REALLY needs to stop dragging their heels on this one ASAP! It's a Provincial Election Year, so lets see what happens.
But PLEASE, don't just sit back and see.. get involved! Email/Call/Send a Letter to your MPP, Your Councilor, FlopFlopBratina and spread the word to any/everyone you know.

We CANNOT fall behind to Kitchener-Waterloo and/or Mississauga. They have connection to GO Transit (all-day in Sauga) already.. imagine what Direct Transit to Toronto + LRT will do for K-W? Now imagine what it could do for Hamilton which is closer-still to Toronto!

Come on, Hamilton.. you can't F up another opportunity!

msakalau
Jul 7, 2011, 9:45 PM
We CANNOT fall behind to Kitchener-Waterloo and/or Mississauga. They have connection to GO Transit (all-day in Sauga) already.. imagine what Direct Transit to Toronto + LRT will do for K-W? Now imagine what it could do for Hamilton which is closer-still to Toronto!

Come on, Hamilton.. you can't F up another opportunity!

This times a million

LikeHamilton
Jul 8, 2011, 9:24 PM
From Metrolinx
Ottawa LRT preliminary engineering, which will work to advance the design, is expected to be completed in early 2012.

OLRT has entered the Preliminary Engineering phase of the project. This work will advance the OLRT design to allow a more refined project cost estimate and prepare specifications for final design and construction. Preliminary Engineering will also include a value engineering process that will investigate options to manage project costs. Preliminary Engineering will be completed in early 2012

http://www.ottawalightrail.ca/en/project-plan/current-status

bigguy1231
Jul 9, 2011, 5:13 AM
I came across this and figured I'd share the link:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ottawa-plans-2-billion-light-rail-project/article2090607/

People in this city think our councillors are bad when it comes to making decisions. Just read some of the comments on this article about the trials and tribulations of the Ottawa LRT debate.

If this is any indication of what we have to look forward to, it's going to be a long time before we have any hope of ever getting LRT in this city.

thistleclub
Jul 15, 2011, 1:10 PM
It's probably naive to think that we could get a billion-dollar infrastructure boost without sweating blood. Hamilton's leadership is habitually drowsy, which is not a great place to start, but it's not impossible to imagine half of council becoming more passionate about the ec dev potential. It'd be sad if they've spent themselves entirely over a half-assed stadium for a league-lagging team that may never be able to break even without public subsidy -- if for no other reason than that project still requires tenacious project management and progressive vision in order to maximize the leverage the community gets from that build.

thistleclub
Jul 15, 2011, 1:12 PM
No surprise that this has become a political football.

Tories Off Rails For LRT, Says MPP (http://www.stoneycreeknews.com/news/article/239094) [Kevin Werner, Stoney Creek News, July 14, 2011]

The Progressive Conservatives are proposing to derail plans to improve Hamilton and the Greater Toronto Area’s transportation systems, says Liberal MPP Ted McMeekin.

During a news conference July 7 at Victoria Park, Steve Clark, Tory MPP for Leeds-Greenville refused to say whether the party would fund Hamilton’s proposed light-rail transit project. Clark also sidestepped questions as to whether the party would continue to follow the Liberals and fund the multi-billion transit projects recommended by the Metrolinx document, The Big Move: Transforming Transportation in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton area.

“We look to our municipalities and our partners to tell us what are their priorities,” said Clark.

But Clark refused to refer to the Metrolinx plan, which proposes to spend $50 billion over the next 25 years on transit projects. The province has yet to commit any money for projects past 2013, putting at risk the city’s light-rail transit system.

“I’m not going to talk about specific documents that are out there,” added Clark. “I’m not an expert in every single program that is out there in every community. We want to give these communities the money they deserve.”

hamtransithistory
Jul 16, 2011, 4:58 PM
Public info centres for the A-Line are next week: (http://www.hamiltonrapidtransit.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Newspaper-Ad-JUL2011.pdf)

Notice of Public Information Centres for Land Use Planning Issues and Opportunities along the A-Line. The City of Hamilton’s Rapid Transit team invites you to our upcoming Public Information Centre (PIC).

Tuesday July 19, 2011
Mohawk College, H-Wing Atrium
135 Fennell Ave. W. 6:00 – 8:00pm
(The PIC will take place in front of Starbucks in the corridor connecting the new Learning Exchange building (H-Wing) and C-Wing. Free parking is available in lot P8)

Wednesday July 20, 2011
Hamilton Convention Centre
Webster Room
1 Summers Lane 6:00pm – 8:00pm

DC1983
Jul 16, 2011, 8:42 PM
Hey, Bratina.. it's Common Sense at the Door! You might wanna answer it!

So if LRT is so important to the city's economic development, why aren't developers swooping in with plans and cash in hand?

That's easy to explain, says developer David Blanchard, whose company owns a lot of property along the line.

“No one is going to run in and buy up all this stuff on a dream.”

Until there are commitments and timelines in place, developers won't sink money into buying property, he says.

source (and full article) http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/564126--has-lrt-gone-off-the-rails

markbarbera
Jul 17, 2011, 1:32 PM
More revealing is a couple more sentences into the article:

Blanchard isn't particularly hopeful LRT will materialize, but thinks it would be a good thing, overall. But he says it would have to come with serious incentives to developers, including lowered or waived development charges, eased parking requirements and a cut to red tape.

So, Blanchard says spinoff development will only come from him after the LRT is built, and if he is enticed by waiving the development charges that normally would be applied to cover the cost of infrastructure upgrades like LRT. Is it no wonder that council isn't getting the warm and fuzzies from the developer community on this?

Blanchard also happens to be the developer responsible for Gore Park's new gap-tooth look after quickly and quietly razing one of the century buildings that used to be part of the now disjointed southern streetwall of King between James and Hughson. Not exactly a legitimate rallying force for the LRT cause IMO.

DC1983
Jul 17, 2011, 4:45 PM
Everyone knows there's way too much rep tape w/ regards to developing in Hamilton anyway, ESP in regards to our ridiculous Parking:Unit requirements. What Blachard is saying is perfectly legit. He's not speculating or begging for handouts; simply asking for less red tape.

markbarbera
Jul 17, 2011, 8:53 PM
I completely agree there is a need to cut out all the red tape and parking requirements, but Blanchard goes well beyond this argument. As I highlighted in my previous post in bold red font, Blanchard is demanding development fees be waived or reduced if he is expected to develop along an LRT line.

That is clearly asking for a handout, and not the kind of incentive situation one would expect to be required to encourage intensification along an LRT line. Shouldn't the presence of LRT be enough incentive for intensification?

With regards to property speculation, Blanchard has spent nearly two decades buying up the city block bounded by King, James, Main and Hunter as the individual properties came up for sale. His acquisitions include the building he demolished in May, the vacant building west of it (how long before it too is demolished), and the former building next to Landed Banking Building, which was demolished and made into a parking lot several years back.

DC1983
Jul 18, 2011, 11:56 AM
Everyone out there agrees there's way too much red tape to get anything done in this City.

I think we disagree, however, on the interpretation of Wilson-Blanchard's quotes, but I digress.

But please don't sit there and suggest Vranic is better than W-B. That's just false. Most of W-B's are standing and in good shape. Vranic's are tore down and/or dilapidated. I mean, c'mon, Vranic use the Fed Bldg to 'store' mattresses and propane tanks. Hmmm.. seems a lil fishy to me. OH and let's not forget his and his fam's dubious reputation.
The fact that Bratina even associates himself w/ this scumbag is such a black eye on our city who only recently wiped that Mobster Image out (Thanks in part to Montreal).

markbarbera
Jul 18, 2011, 3:04 PM
I am not sure how or why you are trying to make this a Blanchard vs. Vranich debate, given that not once have I compared the two developers in any way.

Frankly, when it comes to the established developers in the city, they all will milk as much as they can out of the city's coffers as they can get away with, and Blanchard through his own statement has proven to be the same in that regard. Is there any other way to interpret Blanchard when he says the city "would have to come with serious incentives to developers, including lowered or waived development charges", other than that he wants lowered or waived development charges in order to develop along the LRT line?

I would be very careful in who I was choosing to be a LRT messiah in the city's development world, because frankly not any of them would do very well when put to the sniff test.

SteelTown
Jul 18, 2011, 3:13 PM
If I had to tap into Bratina's mind my guess is that he would rather support the A-Line than the B-Line, believe he even said that in the past in this forum. This is why I think he's advocating for all day GO service than pushing harder for the B-Line.

Once we get a James St North station the pressure will grow for rapid transit from the James St N station to downtown aka A-Line.

thistleclub
Jul 18, 2011, 3:59 PM
Here's a rapid transit history refresher excerpted from Light Rail Technology Overview & Analysis (http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/A5E6E5F1-C6AD-4745-A733-166A3EDF079F/0/TechnologyAnalysis.pdf) (PDF) (P.Topalovic/L. Lottimer/M. Pepito, City of Hamilton Public Works, April 2009):

Historical Context of Rapid Transit in Hamilton

Hamilton has a long history of rail use in passenger, commercial and industrial contexts. The first street car lines in North America were established in New York City during the 1830s. These inter-city rail networks enjoyed great success for many years until the popularity of the automobile began to compete with rail. By the 1950s, most street car networks were dismantled in favour of more flexible buses that were thought to alleviate congestion and decrease the cost of infrastructure associated with the streetcar (Taplin, 1998).

The Hamilton Street Railway was dismantled in 1951, in favour of trolley buses powered by overhead wires which, after 1992, were replaced by a bus-only transit network (Wyatt, 2007). At the height of rail passenger transit in the city there were four independently run lines connecting Hamilton’s inner city with Brantford, Dundas, Ancaster, Binbrook, Burlington, Stoney Creek and Niagara. These lines served innercity connections, such as the Hamilton Street Railway, and regional functions, such as the Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo (TH&B) railway. Most lines travelled East-West along Main, King, York, Aberdeen and Lawrence road. They also ran North-South using Mountain Brow Boulevard and Beach Boulevard to Burlington.

The first mention of rapid transit in Hamilton can be found in a Hamilton Spectator Article from 1962 which states “If the city has built up a well-planned rapid transit system, mass transportation moves about smoothly to nurture development of the municipality. If only more buses and automobiles and commercial vehicles are crowded onto existing streets, it can strangle the city’s lifelines and end its growth” (Marshall, 1962).

A city report on transportation and transit from 1962 indicated that two North-South lines using James and Ottawa Streets were needed in addition to an East-West line running from Highway 102 (Hwy 403 bridge) to Hwy 20 (Centennial Parkway). For many years thereafter, the two types of systems that dominated transit planning discussions were subways and elevated rail tracks or monorails. Much of this speculation came from the building of Toronto’s Younge subway line in the 1950’s, the Disneyland Monorail and Seattle Monorail built for the 1962 World’s Fair.

Hamilton’s drive for rapid transit continued throughout the 1960s and 1970s, resulting in a variety of transportation studies which chose the North-South Corridor as the area of choice for rapid transit, because it was projected to have the highest population growth. This line would run from Mohawk Road and Highway 6 to the downtown core via Upper James Street and the Claremont Access, ending at Civic Square (Jackson Square). Another would run from Mount Albion to Barton Street and then onward to the core.

East-West Lines along Main and King from Main Street West (King’s Highway 2) to the downtown core were also considered important corridors. These three lines would all meet at the current site of the Hunter Street Terminal. While the technology was not specifically identified, proposals for monorail, subway and light rail transit systems were put forth. This lead to a 1974 plan for a monorail system, promoted by Mayor Victor Copps, which followed the North-South route while using Burlington Street to end at Kenilworth Avenue. It was projected that future expansion would link the airport and the Nanticoke Stelco Lake Erie Works to the downtown core.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/thistleclub/Figure27.png

The Ontario government’s urban transportation policy of the 1970s and their formation of the Urban Transit Development Corporation (UTDC), now the Advanced Rapid Transit (ART) division of Bombardier, enabled the province to fund, design and eventually build a system similar to the original Hamilton Transit Plan backed by Mayor Copps, referred to as ICTS (Intermediate Capacity Transit System). Hamilton was to be a test city for a new rail technology using driverless trains on elevated guideways, powered by linear induction motors and magnetic fields. The cost of the system was projected to be $100 million with 90% of the funding coming from the federal government and the province, who wished to promote a new technology that propelled the train using a middle track and positional wheels, rather than traditional rail methods. This system is currently running in Vancouver as the Sky Train and in Toronto as the Scarborough RT.

The proposed Hamilton Rapid Transit Project of 1981 looked at a variety of corridors connecting the upper escarpment with the downtown core including two tunnelling routes, one starting at Fennell Avenue and Upper James and ending at lower James Street; the other starting at Inverness and Upper Wellington and ending at the start of the Claremont access and the Jolley Cut. The other two routes were to be built above ground using elevated guideways. The preferred route, “W” (see Figure 30) was chosen to run from Mohawk Road to the core using a tunnel at James Street.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/thistleclub/Figure28.png

Figure 30 - Four Proposed ICTS Alignments (Metro Canada, 1981c)
An example of the elevated guiderail and car can be seen in artist renderings of familiar Hamilton streetscapes. The first is a view of James Street South at the escarpment tunnel exit:
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/thistleclub/Figure30a.png

The second is at the Royal Connaught in the downtown core:
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/thistleclub/Figure30b.png

Proposed station stops included Upper James and Mohawk, Upper James and Fennell, St. Joseph’s Hospital, MacNab and King William Streets. The elevated track was to be a made-in-Hamilton design comprised of concrete in some areas and composite steel in others. Along the mountain corridor trains would travel along a median guideway carrying two way traffic, and a one-way looped guideway as they entered the central business district. Portions of the TH&B lands (at the present day GO terminal) were to be used as a maintenance facility. The full capital costs of the system were determined to be $111.1 million and operating costs were projected to be $3.5 million per year (Sicoli, 1981, June 17). Ridership estimates in peak hour traffic were 3,000 passengers per hour in 1986, and in 2001 they were projected to be 6,500 passengers per hour.

Early on in the transit planning process, during the 1970s, citizen and political support for the system was high; however as the more detailed planning and public consultation processes began in the 1980s, public opinion changed and support for the system dwindled, until the plans were eventually dropped in December of 1981. Some of the concerns included:

• Unsightly elevated guideways
• Negative impact on property values
• Burden on the taxpayer, especially due to unknown operating costs of the system (Rapid Transit Load Will Fall on City, 1981).
• Lack of political will, leadership and organization where rapid transit was concerned
• Improper timing and lack of need as transit needs are well served by bus routes.
• Population growth projections were too high.
• Coalitions of neighbourhood associations against the system.
• Reliance on un-proven, experimental technology.
• Insufficient access for the disabled.
• Traffic, emergency and personal safety hazards due to concrete guideways.
• The UTDC cars were to be made in Vancouver and not in Hamilton.
• Bus routes may still be required along ICTS routes since stations are too far apart.
• Bus routes require upgrading before money can be spent on new infrastructure.
• Does not service the proper areas such as the bayfront industrial core, which have a higher transit demand.
• Poor public engagement/consultation and an inability to answer to citizen concerns, coupled with reports of failure to provide accurate, unbiased reports on public opinion (Sicoli, 1981, Sept. 15).
• Distrust of the province’s intentions and the ability of the UTDC to deliver on their promises of prosperity and system functionality.

In addition to these concerns, Hamilton-Wentworth Regional transportation planners stunted the new transit system’s planning and installation by ranking it 8 out of 13 essential transportation projects for the city, far down the list from the top which contained mostly freeway projects including the Red Hill Valley and Lincoln Alexander Parkways (“Report Says No Urgency”, 1981). However, others believed that “rapid transit will be the thing of the future. We can’t keep constructing roads and carving up the escarpment for more automobile accesses.” (Scicoli, 1981, May 2).

While the UTDC was not interested in alternative technologies, some groups promoted more flexible streetcar systems, such as Edmonton’s light rail transit system. From the 1960s to the 1980s, ideas of transit options became more conservative and practical. Today, LRT dominates transit planning as the most promising and flexible option because of its ability to travel on street level, allowing for car and pedestrian crossings.

In 1982, the province proposed GO Advanced Light Rail Transit (GO-ALRT) improvement plans for the Oakville-Hamilton corridor. UTDC technology would provide the infrastructure and citizens had input on routing.

Three possible routes were identified as feasible. The first was the York Boulevard Elevated Option, where the train travels at ground level East of the CN tracks then is elevated along York Blvd. to a station between Hughson St. and Catherine St. at John St. In the second proposed route, the train travels at ground level west of Hwy. 403, then underground beneath the Hamilton cemetery and Woodbine street, emerging at Locke St. and running across an elevated guideway along York St. to the John St. station. The third proposed route runs at ground level East and North of the CN tracks, then rises over the tracks and runs on an elevated guideway up Ferguson Ave. and end at Wilson St. near James St. (Johnston & MacPhail, 1984).

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/thistleclub/GO84.png

Public opinion in this case was similar to that of the rapid transit plans two years earlier. In addition, much of the public wondered why a route utilizing the TH&B terminal and tracks was not being considered as feasible by the study team. In both the 1981 and 1983 rapid transit proposals, stakeholders with one-sided, specific agendas were quickly formed, the largest of which was COST (Coalition on Sensible Transit). In the late 1970s, evidence of increased economic and social development where light rail lines were installed was well documented and commonly understood by municipal planners, large businesses and others in the transit field. An examination of citizen letters in the Spectator from this time period shows a lack of interest in transit-oriented development and a focus on “Not In My Back Yard” politics (Martin, 1984).

A sizable portion of the public was opposed to the GO-ALRT preferred route along York St. and the Woodbine tunnel (under the Hamilton cemetery to Locke St.), but the plan was endorsed reluctantly by council. At the same time, the federal government created new legislation requiring existing rail corridors to be shared with commuter rail traffic. With this assurance the province opted to scrap GO-ALRT plans in favour for the conventional GO Transit system that is in place today. Currently, Hamilton has five GO-Train trips per day (a morning train to Toronto and four evening trains to Hamilton).

durandy
Jul 18, 2011, 4:26 PM
If I had to tap into Bratina's mind my guess is that he would rather support the A-Line than the B-Line, believe he even said that in the past in this forum. This is why I think he's advocating for all day GO service than pushing harder for the B-Line.

Once we get a James St North station the pressure will grow for rapid transit from the James St N station to downtown aka A-Line.

and if you could tap into this thought process you'd probably also hear the sound of birds chirping and the ocean roaring. This is just the stupidest idea he keeps floating. Justifying the A line based on Liuna station to downtown? yeah let's build a line up the mountain for that.

DC1983
Jul 18, 2011, 4:34 PM

I'm saddened, Steeltown. You used to be such a Hamilton-booster. Now you've seem to fallen into the 'Well, the best we can do is become Toronto's newest bedroom community' attitude.

Think BIGGER for Hamilton, Steeltown! Like you once used to. We've lost MANY boosters (RealCity comes right to mind), let's not lose you too!

Hamilton IS better than what our lackluster council and ADD mayor thinks! Let's plan for that (ie: Real Cities attract Real Employers) instead of relying on residents taxes to keep the City running.

SteelTown
Jul 18, 2011, 4:40 PM
Hey I'll be the first in line to support the B-Line and better GO service, I attended the first rapid transit public meeting. I was just stating what I believe is Bratina's mindset.

DC1983
Jul 18, 2011, 7:26 PM
Hey I'll be the first in line to support the B-Line and better GO service, I attended the first rapid transit public meeting. I was just stating what I believe is Bratina's mindset.

Glad to hear :)
But to be fair, I don't think Bratina has a single mindset on anything. He changes opinions more than he changes suits!

He wants B-Line on Main, then he wants to prioritize A-Line. Now he wants to put them both on the backburner (despite ongoing studies/plans) and ride the coattails of Toronto. Lame.

SteelTown
Jul 18, 2011, 9:38 PM
City calls off non-essential LRT work

City manager Chris Murray is putting the brakes on the city’s LRT preparations.

In a letter to council sent Friday and obtained by the Spectator and other media outlets Monday, Murray says he has directed senior staff to “suspend all current direct and indirect activities of the Light Rail Transit Initiative other than any work activities required to be completed” under the city’s agreement with the province that devoted $3 million to studying LRT.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/565046--city-calls-off-non-essential-lrt-work

SteelTown
Jul 18, 2011, 10:03 PM
Bratina is set to meet with business leaders July 21, ha that's off to a good start.

msakalau
Jul 19, 2011, 12:48 AM
why does this happen...oh yes, it's hamilton!

Jon Dalton
Jul 19, 2011, 3:16 AM
Watch for a pro-LRT rally of west harbour proportions in the next few weeks.

bigguy1231
Jul 19, 2011, 6:18 AM
All that article in the Spec is saying is that they have fullfilled the mandate of the study. They can't do anything else until the report is done and handed over to the province and council for consideration. Once decisions are made based on the report they can proceed accordingly.

I wouldn't read anything into the fact that they have sent staff back to their regular duties. If they have nothing further to do with regards to the study, it only makes sense that they be given other tasks for the time being. Lobbying for all day GO service is a good use of their time.

mattgrande
Jul 19, 2011, 1:54 PM
It's a strange feeling, agreeing with Larry.

http://twitter.com/#!/LarryDiIanni/status/93285429712912384

Improving Go services and moving forward on LRT are not mutually exclusive. The signals sent to Metrolinx are saying RIP LRT. Awful!

padthai
Jul 19, 2011, 3:59 PM
It's a strange feeling, agreeing with Larry.

http://twitter.com/#!/LarryDiIanni/status/93285429712912384

Agreed. Bratina/Murray, etc don't seem to understand the optics of this.

hamtransithistory
Jul 19, 2011, 5:41 PM
A few comments

Here's a rapid transit history refresher excerpted from Light Rail Technology Overview & Analysis (http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/A5E6E5F1-C6AD-4745-A733-166A3EDF079F/0/TechnologyAnalysis.pdf) (PDF) (P.Topalovic/L. Lottimer/M. Pepito, City of Hamilton Public Works, April 2009):

Historical Context of Rapid Transit in Hamilton

Hamilton has a long history of rail use in passenger, commercial and industrial contexts. The first street car lines in North America were established in New York City during the 1830s. These inter-city rail networks enjoyed great success for many years until the popularity of the automobile began to compete with rail. By the 1950s, most street car networks were dismantled in favour of more flexible buses that were thought to alleviate congestion and decrease the cost of infrastructure associated with the streetcar (Taplin, 1998).

The Hamilton Street Railway was dismantled in 1951, in favour of trolley buses powered by overhead wires which, after 1992, were replaced by a bus-only transit network (Wyatt, 2007). At the height of rail passenger transit in the city there were four independently run lines connecting Hamilton’s inner city with Brantford, Dundas, Ancaster, Binbrook, Burlington, Stoney Creek and Niagara. These lines served innercity connections, such as the Hamilton Street Railway, and regional functions, such as the Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo (TH&B) railway. Most lines travelled East-West along Main, King, York, Aberdeen and Lawrence road. They also ran North-South using Mountain Brow Boulevard and Beach Boulevard to Burlington.

Binbrook never had any kind of rail service, radial or steam/diesel. And there was no service of any kind on Mountain Brow Boulevard. I think someone checked a very bad map, and confused the old Hamilton-Caledonia rail line with Mountain Brow Blvd. Niagara is accurate, as Beamsville is in the NW corner of Niagara Region. Odd that Oakville isn't mentioned.

The first mention of rapid transit in Hamilton can be found in a Hamilton Spectator Article from 1962 which states “If the city has built up a well-planned rapid transit system, mass transportation moves about smoothly to nurture development of the municipality. If only more buses and automobiles and commercial vehicles are crowded onto existing streets, it can strangle the city’s lifelines and end its growth” (Marshall, 1962).

A city report on transportation and transit from 1962 indicated that two North-South lines using James and Ottawa Streets were needed in addition to an East-West line running from Highway 102 (Hwy 403 bridge) to Hwy 20 (Centennial Parkway). For many years thereafter, the two types of systems that dominated transit planning discussions were subways and elevated rail tracks or monorails. Much of this speculation came from the building of Toronto’s Younge subway line in the 1950’s, the Disneyland Monorail and Seattle Monorail built for the 1962 World’s Fair.

In the 1959 report on whether or not the city should buy the HSR, mention was made that a future subway line should be built between Hwy 102 and Centennial Pkwy. By the way, Hwy 102 was not Hwy 403, but Cootes Dr.

Hamilton’s drive for rapid transit continued throughout the 1960s and 1970s, resulting in a variety of transportation studies which chose the North-South Corridor as the area of choice for rapid transit, because it was projected to have the highest population growth. This line would run from Mohawk Road and Highway 6 to the downtown core via Upper James Street and the Claremont Access, ending at Civic Square (Jackson Square). Another would run from Mount Albion to Barton Street and then onward to the core.

East-West Lines along Main and King from Main Street West (King’s Highway 2) to the downtown core were also considered important corridors. These three lines would all meet at the current site of the Hunter Street Terminal. While the technology was not specifically identified, proposals for monorail, subway and light rail transit systems were put forth. This lead to a 1974 plan for a monorail system, promoted by Mayor Victor Copps, which followed the North-South route while using Burlington Street to end at Kenilworth Avenue. It was projected that future expansion would link the airport and the Nanticoke Stelco Lake Erie Works to the downtown core.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/thistleclub/Figure27.png

I've heard of this idea, but not read much about it. But Nanticoke? Seriously?

The Ontario government’s urban transportation policy of the 1970s and their formation of the Urban Transit Development Corporation (UTDC), now the Advanced Rapid Transit (ART) division of Bombardier, enabled the province to fund, design and eventually build a system similar to the original Hamilton Transit Plan backed by Mayor Copps, referred to as ICTS (Intermediate Capacity Transit System). Hamilton was to be a test city for a new rail technology using driverless trains on elevated guideways, powered by linear induction motors and magnetic fields. The cost of the system was projected to be $100 million with 90% of the funding coming from the federal government and the province, who wished to promote a new technology that propelled the train using a middle track and positional wheels, rather than traditional rail methods. This system is currently running in Vancouver as the Sky Train and in Toronto as the Scarborough RT.

The proposed Hamilton Rapid Transit Project of 1981 looked at a variety of corridors connecting the upper escarpment with the downtown core including two tunnelling routes, one starting at Fennell Avenue and Upper James and ending at lower James Street; the other starting at Inverness and Upper Wellington and ending at the start of the Claremont access and the Jolley Cut. The other two routes were to be built above ground using elevated guideways. The preferred route, “W” (see Figure 30) was chosen to run from Mohawk Road to the core using a tunnel at James Street.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/thistleclub/Figure28.png

Figure 30 - Four Proposed ICTS Alignments (Metro Canada, 1981c)
An example of the elevated guiderail and car can be seen in artist renderings of familiar Hamilton streetscapes. The first is a view of James Street South at the escarpment tunnel exit:
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/thistleclub/Figure30a.png

The second is at the Royal Connaught in the downtown core:
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/thistleclub/Figure30b.png

Proposed station stops included Upper James and Mohawk, Upper James and Fennell, St. Joseph’s Hospital, MacNab and King William Streets. The elevated track was to be a made-in-Hamilton design comprised of concrete in some areas and composite steel in others. Along the mountain corridor trains would travel along a median guideway carrying two way traffic, and a one-way looped guideway as they entered the central business district. Portions of the TH&B lands (at the present day GO terminal) were to be used as a maintenance facility. The full capital costs of the system were determined to be $111.1 million and operating costs were projected to be $3.5 million per year (Sicoli, 1981, June 17). Ridership estimates in peak hour traffic were 3,000 passengers per hour in 1986, and in 2001 they were projected to be 6,500 passengers per hour.

Early on in the transit planning process, during the 1970s, citizen and political support for the system was high; however as the more detailed planning and public consultation processes began in the 1980s, public opinion changed and support for the system dwindled, until the plans were eventually dropped in December of 1981. Some of the concerns included:

• Unsightly elevated guideways
• Negative impact on property values
• Burden on the taxpayer, especially due to unknown operating costs of the system (Rapid Transit Load Will Fall on City, 1981).
• Lack of political will, leadership and organization where rapid transit was concerned
• Improper timing and lack of need as transit needs are well served by bus routes.
• Population growth projections were too high.
• Coalitions of neighbourhood associations against the system.
• Reliance on un-proven, experimental technology.
• Insufficient access for the disabled.
• Traffic, emergency and personal safety hazards due to concrete guideways.
• The UTDC cars were to be made in Vancouver and not in Hamilton.
• Bus routes may still be required along ICTS routes since stations are too far apart.
• Bus routes require upgrading before money can be spent on new infrastructure.
• Does not service the proper areas such as the bayfront industrial core, which have a higher transit demand.
• Poor public engagement/consultation and an inability to answer to citizen concerns, coupled with reports of failure to provide accurate, unbiased reports on public opinion (Sicoli, 1981, Sept. 15).
• Distrust of the province’s intentions and the ability of the UTDC to deliver on their promises of prosperity and system functionality.

In addition to these concerns, Hamilton-Wentworth Regional transportation planners stunted the new transit system’s planning and installation by ranking it 8 out of 13 essential transportation projects for the city, far down the list from the top which contained mostly freeway projects including the Red Hill Valley and Lincoln Alexander Parkways (“Report Says No Urgency”, 1981). However, others believed that “rapid transit will be the thing of the future. We can’t keep constructing roads and carving up the escarpment for more automobile accesses.” (Scicoli, 1981, May 2).

For more info on the failed ICTS proposal (http://hamiltontransithistory.host-ed.net/ICTS.html)

Jon Dalton
Jul 19, 2011, 8:11 PM
The 1981 ICTS proposal wasn't the first time Hamilton considered a new form of rapid transit. According to a Chamber of Commerce record from 1966 that my friend found, Hamilton was considering this system of buses on fixed guideways:

http://www.pittsburghtransit.info/skybustrain.JPG
http://www.pittsburghtransit.info/skybus.html

Apparently they sent representatives to Pittsburgh to see their test system, and they came back converted.

SteelTown
Jul 19, 2011, 8:18 PM
Based on the video it went fast too.

SteelTown
Jul 19, 2011, 8:27 PM
http://www.thespec.com/opinion/editorial/article/565674--lrt-question-is-for-council

If in fact Murray’s directive and the mayor’s ad hoc comments signify an official change in position, this matter needs to go back before council at the earliest opportunity. At least one councillor — Lloyd Ferguson — is openly wondering why the matter hasn’t gone back to council already.

markbarbera
Jul 19, 2011, 8:41 PM
All that article in the Spec is saying is that they have fullfilled the mandate of the study. They can't do anything else until the report is done and handed over to the province and council for consideration. Once decisions are made based on the report they can proceed accordingly.

I wouldn't read anything into the fact that they have sent staff back to their regular duties. If they have nothing further to do with regards to the study, it only makes sense that they be given other tasks for the time being. Lobbying for all day GO service is a good use of their time.

Exactly. I am amazed by all the hand wringing and fist shaking going on over this. It's truly a tempest in a teapot.

thistleclub
Jul 20, 2011, 12:22 AM
Metrolinx: LRT and GO Can Co-Exist (http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/565927--metrolinx-lrt-and-go-can-co-exist) [Emma Reilly, Hamilton Spectator, July 19, 2011]

“It is important to remember that both rapid transit initiatives planned for Hamilton — the Hamilton LRT and all day GO Train service from Toronto to Hamilton — are viable and can co-exist,” said Malon Edwards, media relations and issues specialist at the regional transportation agency. “Hamilton’s current rapid transit situation is not an ‘either-or’ scenario.” Metrolinx also says Hamilton’s first LRT line is among its “priority projects.”

SteelTown
Jul 20, 2011, 1:10 AM
http://media.mmgdailies.topscms.com/images/f3/08/20c6f19f4c298dc54a06346500e6.jpeg
Graeme MacKay
http://www.thespec.com/opinion/cartoons/article/565952--editorial-cartoon

durandy
Jul 20, 2011, 2:22 AM
interesting sidebar in that spec article, most councillors are on board in principle with LRT but all say wait and see. Clark Powers and Partridge no surprises they had nothing to say, but a number of those from wards away from the B-Line are offering support. In fact the message here from council is pretty unequivocal. What I don't get is why this was done in such a grandiose fashion by Murray and Bratina. Surely this didn't have to take place via all this CHML stream of consciousness by Bratina.

hamtransithistory
Jul 20, 2011, 4:34 AM
The 1981 ICTS proposal wasn't the first time Hamilton considered a new form of rapid transit. According to a Chamber of Commerce record from 1966 that my friend found, Hamilton was considering this system of buses on fixed guideways:

http://www.pittsburghtransit.info/skybustrain.JPG
http://www.pittsburghtransit.info/skybus.html

Apparently they sent representatives to Pittsburgh to see their test system, and they came back converted.

Thanks Jon. Hadn't heard of this one, I've got to do more reading and then maybe write another article.

This is the second proposed Hamilton transit project that I've come across this week. A couple of days ago I found this 1913 map at Archives Canada

http://data2.archives.ca/nmc/n0022384.pdf

If you look at the Mountain, you'll see 'Proposed Hamilton Mountain Electric Railway' running along Upper James and along Fennell. Judging by the map date, I assume WWI came along and wrecked the plan.

Dr Awesomesauce
Jul 20, 2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for these historical transit tidbits. A lot of very interesting info there.

Of course, I'm quite sure that in 25 years a new batch of transit/urban enthusiasts will discover the details of our LRT plans and wonder what could have been...such is the nature of things in the Hammer.

DC1983
Jul 20, 2011, 11:37 AM
^ nuff said!!

http://media.mmgdailies.topscms.com/images/f3/08/20c6f19f4c298dc54a06346500e6.jpeg
Graeme MacKay
http://www.thespec.com/opinion/cartoons/article/565952--editorial-cartoon

markbarbera
Jul 20, 2011, 12:17 PM
So now getting GO to James North is a bad thing?

It amazes me how the histerical class are painting this as an either/or situation. LRT is not being abandoned and anyone who is suggesting that is being disingenuous. The reality is the Rapid Transit office had a specific mandate and delivery timeline before next steps for LRT are examined by council. As was pointed out by several councillors a week or so ago (most notably Clark and to a lesser degree Collins), scope creep was setting in. All that Murray has done is his job, which is to make sure staff resources are where they are required.

Getting GO to James N has always been a higher priority both for the City and Metrolinx. If one takes time to review Metrolinx' plan it clearly identified a GO Station at James N as a quick hit project to be done in he first five years of its overall Big Move plan. LRT in Hamilton was slotted in the next set of projects to follow the quick hits.

From a city point of view, in the context of logistics for hosting Pan Am events, construction of LRT wouldn't begin until after the games are over. However, all day GO train service should be in place in time for the Games. It only makes sense that all day GO trains be the top priority.

thistleclub
Jul 20, 2011, 6:58 PM
It's been an interesting few days, for sure. If nothing else, a poor sense of the optics.

Ferguson Adds Clarity to LRT Discussion (http://raisethehammer.org/blog/2240/ferguson_adds_clarity_to_lrt_discussion) [Graham Crawford, Raise the Hammer, July 20, 2011]

Rapid Transit Manager on Vacation When LRT Program Suspended (http://raisethehammer.org/blog/2239/rapid_transit_manager_on_vacation_when_lrt_program_suspended) [Ryan McGreal, Raise the Hammer, July 20, 2011]

DC1983
Jul 20, 2011, 7:10 PM
Getting a GO Station at JamesNorth is a GREAT thing!
..lowering our expectations/standards to become a suburb of a suburb is NOT a good thing! THAT is the point behind the comic, hence "South Aldershot"

It's too bad some ppl just don't get Editorial Cartoon humour.

To be honest, I think this is Bratina throwing another Temper Tantrum and throwing ideas around like rice at a 1970's wedding! (or Pens at a Council meeting, for that matter!)
Remember his campaign? "This for you, that for them, De-amalgamation for everybody!!!"

There is a LOT of misinformation being thrown around by all parties involved except maybe Metrolinx (who is doing some damage still by not giving full, clear, precise answers).

Who knows, maybe this is even Bratina's way of saying, "Hey Dalton! WTF is going on? You're ignoring our requests and giving very vague answers - what is going on!?"

We'll see! ..this is clearly just the beginning (of the Ontario Liberals Campaign lol)

markbarbera
Jul 20, 2011, 7:51 PM
There has definitely been a lot of misinformation bandied about by all parties involved. It probably would have been better if Chris Murray wasn't away so he could clarify exactly what was being messaged in his email. The worst thing about electronic communication is how non-verbal nuances are absent and the reader tends to second-guess missing nuance, tone and intent.

It's also difficult when the Mayor tends to speakly freely and frankly, and is not one to practise the dubious art of political double speak. In this way Bratina reminds me of Mel Lastman, whose similar open discourse caused many a raised brow or chortle among the Toronto Political Elite during his mayoralty (yet was arguably one of the more successful Toronto mayors in recent memory).

It also doesn't help when you have a print media that is openly hostile to the mayor looking to sensationalize a story to help drum up sagging sales during a traditionally slow summer news season.

PS I do get the humor in an editorial cartoon, when there's truth and humor present in it, that is...

Jon Dalton
Jul 20, 2011, 8:50 PM
Thanks Jon. Hadn't heard of this one, I've got to do more reading and then maybe write another article.

This is the second proposed Hamilton transit project that I've come across this week. A couple of days ago I found this 1913 map at Archives Canada

http://data2.archives.ca/nmc/n0022384.pdf

If you look at the Mountain, you'll see 'Proposed Hamilton Mountain Electric Railway' running along Upper James and along Fennell. Judging by the map date, I assume WWI came along and wrecked the plan.

That's a nice map. You can see all the radials in it too. I've been thinking of trying to make a map of Hamilton that shows all of the once-existing railways, radial railways and streetcar routes all at once. That map would be a good place to start.

About the Skybus system, I don't think it ever got past the idea stage. It was pretty funny listening to that Chamber of Commerce record hearing them talk about the transportation plan at that time, they were talking about a crosstown expressway as well. I expect when troubles began with Pittsburgh's system, our leaders quickly lost interest.

Of course, Pittsburgh learned from their mistakes and brought the focus to light rail.

hamtransithistory
Jul 20, 2011, 10:34 PM
That's a nice map. You can see all the radials in it too. I've been thinking of trying to make a map of Hamilton that shows all of the once-existing railways, radial railways and streetcar routes all at once. That map would be a good place to start.

Already done

This site has several maps, Google and otherwise

http://hamiltontransithistory.host-ed.net/docs.html

These two sites have downloadable maps in the form of Google Earth files
Electric lines
http://cermc.webs.com/
Ontario Railways
http://ontariomap.webs.com/

realcity
Jul 21, 2011, 1:27 AM
edit, don't drink and post.

I'm having a hard time understanding the LRT, in that why do I want to go to Eastgate or Mac? So it will increase development, so people are suddenly going to want to live at say, the Queenston Traffic circle so they can get on a LRT to go to either Eastgate or Mac? or perhaps downtown? But don't we want the development concentrated downtown? So people are going to want to live downtown in a condo so they can take the LRT to where? I'm believing Bratina now in that developers aren't getting in line because of a proposed LRT. Other than the LRT looking cool I'm having difficulty understanding how a billion$ train track is going to do anything?

mattgrande
Jul 21, 2011, 12:31 PM
I haven't been to Eastgate Sq since Christmas shopping 2010. And I haven't been to Mac since 2005. Both places I prefer to avoid like .... aliens- scrap that - like mormons - scrap that - or like McHattie's Peoples' Republic of Wards 1 & 2 Army. Where I should be growing my own staples on my front lawn and if I'm 22-floors up in a condo, I should be growing my food in a group-hug-farm. Maybe McHattie's Peoples Republic will find a way that we can eat our dog poo and call it vegan.

Wait, what?

realcity
Jul 21, 2011, 3:42 PM
I searched Buffalo LRT and read an article from hamiltonlightrail, because their line seems somewhat similar to our B-Line and the article blames Buffalo's falling population for its failure. But our numbers show that our lower city is actually losing population too and it has for some time now. The mountain surpassed the lower city in population decades ago. And the trend is not reversing. The article also goes on to blame Buffalo's failure because the LRT has an underground section and it's old technology. These things didn't hurt Toronto's subway.

No I believe our LRT will function more like Buffalo's and not like Portland or Charlotte, because Portland and Charlotte are totally different cities. Charlotte has doubled in size in the last 30 years and Portland created a urban boundary and stuck to it. Hamilton is more like Buffalo.

I think GO will do a lot more for downtown than LRT would from Mac to Eastgate. We might get a cluster around James North similar to what happened to North York's condo boom after the Sheppard line.

Besides if and when LRT gets built it's 25 years away. It's been a campaign promise since the 2004 already. And who knows what Hamilton's downtown will be like in 25 years. If it repeats the last 25 we'll be in big trouble. A couple condos here and there are not that promising when places like Burlington's waterfront and even Kerr Village is getting a twin condo tower and Toronto's canyon of condos built in the last 20 years compared to our couple new smallish condos is hardly keeping up with the trend.