PDA

View Full Version : LOS ANGELES | METRO Project Rundown 2.0 (non-downtown)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115

colemonkee
May 17, 2022, 4:44 PM
^ Indeed. Some people can be outright crazy. I think the issue with Santa Monica in particular is that some members of the community - who tend to be the most vocal - fight any change, while simultaneously complaining about housing affordability, which to this group is just infuriating. However, just because they are the most vocal does not mean they are in the majority. That being said, this project has been bent to the will of a lot of that community input, as well as input from the City Council, so hoping this one in its current state moves forward. I, for one, am really looking forward to those pink metal panels.

Steve8263
May 17, 2022, 5:22 PM
:previous: Perfectly summarized, the irony is of course beyond absurd, but that's SaMo for you...

In other potentially huge news, Onni is making another push in Mid-Wilshire area-

Onni buys Mid-Wilshire development site with plans for apartment high-rise

https://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2022/05/06/onni-buys-mid-wilshire-apartment-high-rise-site.html

The property spans a full block between Detroit Street and South Cloverdale Avenue on the south side of Wilshire. The site lies a block west of the Metro station under construction on the corner of La Brea Avenue.

There are no height restrictions on the site, lending it to the development of high-rise apartments.

citywatch
May 17, 2022, 6:13 PM
Samo makes me think of the nimbyism that got really extreme in SF over 20 yrs ago. however, nearby silicon valley has become such a cultural & economic force, that proposals to build more or other skyscrapers in SF are now accepted as a given. I recall when the notion of much more than the transamerica tower, designed by LA architect William pereira, being added to its skyline was viewed as unrealistic. Trends & expectations do change.

ChelseaFC
May 17, 2022, 6:14 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2022/05/06/onni-buys-mid-wilshire-apartment-high-rise-site.html

In addition to their proposed Wilshire Courtyard development. Onni bullish on the Purple Line extension.

Illithid Dude
May 17, 2022, 10:01 PM
:previous: Perfectly summarized, the irony is of course beyond absurd, but that's SaMo for you...

In other potentially huge news, Onni is making another push in Mid-Wilshire area-

The property spans a full block between Detroit Street and South Cloverdale Avenue on the south side of Wilshire. The site lies a block west of the Metro station under construction on the corner of La Brea Avenue.

There are no height restrictions on the site, lending it to the development of high-rise apartments.

Interesting to note that this lot includes the famous skeuomorphic art deco camera left over from a pre-war camera store. I imagine historical preservationists will fight to preserve this detail, as they should.

homebucket
May 17, 2022, 10:26 PM
Interesting to note that this lot includes the famous skeuomorphic art deco camera left over from a pre-war camera store. I imagine historical preservationists will fight to preserve this detail, as they should.

The Art Deco structure on the corner of Detroit and Wilshire that houses the Post Office looks pretty nice too. Hopefully that can also be incorporated into the design.

HeySparky
May 17, 2022, 11:39 PM
Anyone know about this rare residential high rise proposal for the Westside?

http://tca-arch.com/work/6055-center-drive/

"TCA is currently re-designing “6055 Center Drive” located at the Howard Hughes Center. The building is a 19-story high-rise with 3 stories of below grade parking. Well located, the Class-A property will target local Silicon Beach residents and capture the amazing views of Los Angeles and LAX. The community will provide 9,000 SF of amenity space. The roof-top has a sky-deck, fire pits, grille space, and outdoor dining. The fifth floor has a pool deck, private cabanas, firepits, zen garde, club room, and indoor/outdoor fitness. At grade is a dog run and green belt."

Location appears to an empty lot near Howard Hughes Center,. https://www.google.com/maps/place/6055+Center+Dr,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90045/@33.9761601,-118.3903312,3a,75y,9.58h,82.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYBzQCUBY1y1M88oawz10jQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c2b74c8ad58b19:0x53a65ad80614bcf!8m2!3d33.9762527!4d-118.3902021

LA21st
May 18, 2022, 2:16 AM
Wow, great news for both!

colemonkee
May 18, 2022, 2:32 AM
I heard rumblings about a mid-rise or high rise near Howard Hughes, but this is the first time we've seen renderings. Not sure that's the best place for that density, as it's not very well transit-served, but we do need the housing, so beggars can't be choosers. Especially when TCA is the design architect.

The Onni news on Wilshire is pretty amazing. Selfishly, I'll be sad to see Ariyoshi go (it's my go-to neighborhood sushi joint that's got a reasonable Happy Hour), and Busby's has been an institution in this location for some time (my wife worked for that group in that building in her early days in LA). That being said, outside of the skeuomorphic art deco camera (didn't know that was a thing!), there's not much to save on that stretch, architecturally. The post office building is in pretty awful disrepair, and has had much of it's ground floor covered over, and is not worth saving in my opinion. The added density and housing is much needed here, and you couldn't pick a better place for it.

That being said, this is a HUGE lot that includes the two surface lots behind the buildings fronting Wilshire, and could take on 2-3 towers, not just one. I really hope this is designed well and contains more than just residential, and rather a mix of uses: retail, some office, and possibly some community/concert/special use space. This is too good of an opportunity to waste to just have one tower here with a massive, above ground parking podium. And I hope Onni brings on a good architect - I've been dying for a SHoP tower in this area, given it's Art Deco past - but they don't have the greatest track record of bringing on great architects.

hughfb3
May 18, 2022, 4:49 AM
Not sure that's the best place for that density, as it's not very well transit-served, but we do need the housing, so beggars can't be choosers. Especially when TCA is the design architect.

This will be walking distance from the Sepulveda/405 heavy rail/skytrain Metro station en route to LAX and will be bustling with people in several years… hopefully by the end of the decade

colemonkee
May 18, 2022, 3:23 PM
Looking at all 4 alternatives under consideration for the Sepulveda Transit Corridor project on the MTA site (https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/642fc3ce99c2418bbaeff9bf3bfe3804), I don't see a single one that goes south of the 10 Freeway. Is there another alternative that goes this far south?

hughfb3
May 18, 2022, 3:58 PM
Looking at all 4 alternatives under consideration for the Sepulveda Transit Corridor project on the MTA site (https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/642fc3ce99c2418bbaeff9bf3bfe3804), I don't see a single one that goes south of the 10 Freeway. Is there another alternative that goes this far south?

https://media.metro.net/projects_studies/sfv-405/images/Feasibility%20Report.pdf

Look for phase 2. Scroll down to page 31. The within the decade; I said before, relates to only if we can get it fastracked for the Olympics or from extra infrastructure bill money… otherwise we are waiting until 2050’s. Metro has already started preliminary studies and a couple years ago did community outreach speculating and hearing from citizens about the different alignments for Sepulveda, centinela, 405. My guess is that we will see either HRT 405 or HRT Sepulveda. With HRT 405, there will be a station right outside the doors of the Howard Hughes development area. These areas will be prime real estate

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52082579556_f9ea932e20_b.jpg

homebucket
May 18, 2022, 4:34 PM
Look for phase 2. Scroll down to page 31. The within the decade; I said before, relates to only if we can get it fastracked for the Olympics or from extra infrastructure bill money… otherwise we are waiting until 2050’s. Metro has already started preliminary studies and a couple years ago already had community outreach speculating and hearing from citizens about the different alignments for Sepulveda, centinela, 405. My guess is that we will see either HRT 405 or HRT Sepulveda. With HRT 405, there will be a station right outside the doors of the Howard Hughes development area. These areas will be prime real estate

Below the 10, does Sepulveda or Overland have higher density/anticipated ridership? I'd probably go with HRT Overland or HRT Sepulveda based on that answer. Otherwise, I agree with either route as a Sepulveda extension to LAX. The Purple Line Extension to LAX doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially once the Crenshaw northern extension to the Purple Line is complete. A one seat ride for people from the Valley to LAX seems more ideal.

colemonkee
May 18, 2022, 4:55 PM
Ah, gotcha! Thank you, hughfb3!

ChelseaFC
May 19, 2022, 7:09 PM
Hollywood Park Retail/Residential - Inglewood, CA

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTJJDl7VIAAsq7N?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTJJELRaMAA-RGp?format=jpg&name=large
https://twitter.com/hollywoodparkca

edale
May 19, 2022, 7:17 PM
^ Looks about as insular as it gets-- a real fortress. And look at those incredibly wide streets around it. Not a fan of this part of LA at all.

ChelseaFC
May 19, 2022, 7:44 PM
^ Looks about as insular as it gets-- a real fortress. And look at those incredibly wide streets around it. Not a fan of this part of LA at all.

Most of America looks like this, dense downtown financial districts are the exception.

202_Cyclist
May 19, 2022, 8:11 PM
I hope all of those buildings will be covered in solar panels.

homebucket
May 19, 2022, 8:26 PM
I hope all of those buildings will be covered in solar panels.

Unlikely. Here are the renderings. Looks to be one of those insular outdoor shopping mall fortresses kind of like the Citadel or something. Why not make it more open? Isn't Intuit Dome going to be right across from it on Century Blvd? They should make it more pedestrian friendly and accessible so people could easily go there before and after games.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/roS12dQqrG1Vklpx0euA3CnjFMc=/0x0:3000x1127/920x613/filters:focal(1260x324:1740x804):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/65265857/Cinepolis_Rendering.0.jpg

homebucket
May 19, 2022, 8:39 PM

It's also really unfortunate that the Crenshaw line does not pass through this sports complex. Now they'll need to spend an additional $1.4B to build the APM. And it won't even have a stop at Intuit Dome. And if they're going to build it, might as well connect it all the way to the C Line.

edale
May 19, 2022, 8:43 PM
Most of America looks like this, dense downtown financial districts are the exception.

Um...no. There are a million shades of grey between "dense downtown financial districts" and this walled off fortress of a development.

ChelseaFC
May 19, 2022, 9:07 PM
Um...no. There are a million shades of grey between "dense downtown financial districts" and this walled off fortress of a development.

Probably due to safety concerns. If a similar development is built in Pasadena, you probably get something a little more open.

citywatch
May 19, 2022, 9:47 PM
In the dtla compilations pg I've been describing vids of other places & cities throughout the world, most posted to youtube. Totally different vibe elsewhere.

When I've pointed out the major fountains in dt aren't working right now...whether due to drought or not...some ppl have had a 'no biggie' attitude. Seeing how big time & busy....full of street life, crowded sidewalks.....other cities are like, my complaining about fountains not working makes me feel like I should be complaining that the town's one traffic signal has burned out.

I mentioned a few wks ago that ppl in LA love to live in their car....crowded fwys are the main way to tell LA has a somewhat large population. I also originally thought that nicer looking streets in LA would be more appealing, so ppl might be more likely to go out & walk around....not necessarily so.

The transit in LA has been described by some ppl as now being too sketchy or full of too much drama to want to keep using. When I mentioned that going into dtla itself, after being stuck in crowded fwys all around it, often gave a sense of way fewer ppl out & about, & as though LA was a smaller city, an ssper became resentful.

Maybe LA doesn't have nice enough weather? Maybe ppl don't walk to walk around unless they're one block from the beach? Maybe a disneyfied place like the Grove is what ppl in LA are willing to drop by & visit?

homebucket
May 19, 2022, 10:14 PM
In the dtla compilations pg I've been describing vids of other places & cities throughout the world, most posted to youtube. Totally different vibe elsewhere.

When I've pointed out the major fountains in dt aren't working right now...whether due to drought or not...some ppl have had a 'no biggie' attitude. Seeing how big time & busy....full of street life, crowded sidewalks.....other cities are like, my complaining about fountains not working makes me feel like I should be complaining that the town's one traffic signal has burned out.

I mentioned a few wks ago that ppl in LA love to live in their car....crowded fwys are the main way to tell LA has a somewhat large population. I also originally thought that nicer looking streets in LA would be more appealing, so ppl might be more likely to go out & walk around....not necessarily so.

The transit in LA has been described by some ppl as now being too sketchy or full of too much drama to want to keep using. When I mentioned that going into dtla itself, after being stuck in crowded fwys all around it, often gave a sense of way fewer ppl out & about, & as though LA was a smaller city, an ssper became resentful.

Maybe LA doesn't have nice enough weather? Maybe ppl don't walk to walk around unless they're one block from the beach? Maybe a disneyfied place like the Grove is what ppl in LA are willing to drop by & visit?

You took so long to get to the point that I'm not sure what your point actually is. Are you saying that since LA is so autocentric and people don't walk around (as in Angelenos drive to places to walk around) that this particular Hollywood Park project is actually the desired mixed use typology, at least for this area?

citywatch
May 20, 2022, 12:17 AM
Are you saying that since LA is so autocentric and people don't walk around (as in Angelenos drive to places to walk around) that this particular Hollywood Park project is actually the desired mixed use typology, at least for this area?

Bingo. One of the posts above implies the layout of the new stadium area in inglewood is too car-centric. It is. But the more sidewalk oriented nature of certain other hoods in LA, including dtla or fancy bev hills, aren't necessarily all that more full of ppl as their counterpart areas in certain other cities are.

Fighting the nature of LA....which I admit to wanting to do on occasion too....is similar to fighting the wave action of the ocean.

hughfb3
May 20, 2022, 4:26 AM
Below the 10, does Sepulveda or Overland have higher density/anticipated ridership? I'd probably go with HRT Overland or HRT Sepulveda based on that answer. Otherwise, I agree with either route as a Sepulveda extension to LAX. The Purple Line Extension to LAX doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially once the Crenshaw northern extension to the Purple Line is complete. A one seat ride for people from the Valley to LAX seems more ideal.

The reception to the Overland alignment was quiet. The one with a surprising buzz was the Centinela alignment as it is one of the routes that would give way to the most amount of new developments and new transit trips… it would also be the most expensive. The Sepulveda route also has a high development potential around fox hills and the north eastern side of playa vista, like this new TCA tower at Howard Hughes (http://tca-arch.com/work/6055-center-drive/)... and it would be the most direct to LAX.

I’m partial to the 405 alignment as it would be the fastest most direct route to LAX and the cheapest by a few billion, as well as the only one that would give riders expansive views of the westside and basin *with only 1 freeway median station.* But this is a development thread and I say all that to relate back to the development potential on the westside with phase 2 contributing to the expanding Howard Hughes skyline and combining it with a new high rise district at Fox Hills just across the freeway.

colemonkee
May 20, 2022, 2:50 PM
My issue with the I-405 alignment, aside from the benefits you mention (which I think we could get with any of these alignments from a development perspective), is that it's awful from a pedestrian perspective to put the line where users will have to walk underneath 6 lanes of traffic and then up stairs/elevators just to reach the stations. It's similar to the Green Line east of El Segundo, which hasn't seen much development around it's stops further east likely due in part to that impediment to riding. It would also put development right against the freeway, which is not the greatest thing from a health perspective for those living/working there.

112597jorge
May 20, 2022, 4:23 PM
Unlikely. Here are the renderings. Looks to be one of those insular outdoor shopping mall fortresses kind of like the Citadel or something. Why not make it more open? Isn't Intuit Dome going to be right across from it on Century Blvd? They should make it more pedestrian friendly and accessible so people could easily go there before and after games.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/roS12dQqrG1Vklpx0euA3CnjFMc=/0x0:3000x1127/920x613/filters:focal(1260x324:1740x804):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/65265857/Cinepolis_Rendering.0.jpg

Theres ample space between the Cinema Walls and Century Blvd and Praire Ave sidewalks for restaurants and bars to serve the Intuit dome crowds and Sofi Crowds too. This urban design is absolutely terrible.

ChelseaFC
May 20, 2022, 6:00 PM
Theres ample space between the Cinema Walls and Century Blvd and Praire Ave sidewalks for restaurants and bars to serve the Intuit dome crowds and Sofi Crowds too. This urban design is absolutely terrible.

It's really not designed to be urban in the way that say Old Town Pasadena is. Not only are Century and Prairie way too wide for sidewalk cafes and boutique shops, but it's mostly a safety and security issue. They don't want just anyone off the street to drift in and out, so they have designated access points where they can monintor things more closely.

112597jorge
May 20, 2022, 6:12 PM
It's really not designed to be urban in the way that say Old Town Pasadena is. Not only are Century and Prairie way too wide for sidewalk cafes and boutique shops, but it's mostly a safety and security issue. They don't want just anyone off the street to drift in and out, so they have designated access points where they can monintor things more closely.

Yeah you are 100% right, just felt they could have done something like this on Katella in Anaheim Resort District. Less tacky of course.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8034527,-117.9106541,3a,75y,56.39h,93.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCQt0IhpS9R5ctaSyt0vOsQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

HeySparky
May 20, 2022, 8:08 PM
I hope the Santa Monica city counsel increases their security starting today, because they just unanimously approved the Frank Gehry building for Ocean Avenue. The yokels in the community are going to be out for blood.

https://www.smdp.com/planning-commissioners-delighted-over-frank-gehry-mixed-use-development/217831?fbclid=IwAR3iac7qNEhK9i-93xONxXakEfjkabhIdWIOUp8WRdar5kQOcsMSKUCMxn4

colemonkee
May 20, 2022, 8:28 PM
^ Great news!!!!

LosAngelesSportsFan
May 21, 2022, 4:48 AM
I hope the Santa Monica city counsel increases their security starting today, because they just unanimously approved the Frank Gehry building for Ocean Avenue. The yokels in the community are going to be out for blood.

https://www.smdp.com/planning-commissioners-delighted-over-frank-gehry-mixed-use-development/217831?fbclid=IwAR3iac7qNEhK9i-93xONxXakEfjkabhIdWIOUp8WRdar5kQOcsMSKUCMxn4
Awesome! So glad to see that

LAisthePlace
May 22, 2022, 3:46 PM

While this is fantastic news, it is actually just the City Planning Commission and not the City Council just yet (if I'm reading it right).

Still a bit to go...

caligrad
May 23, 2022, 6:38 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTJJDl7VIAAsq7N?format=jpg&name=large

The saving grace (whether it happens or not) is that there is enough space to completely wrap that entire corner with retail/housing at a later date. I don't think Inglewood has hit that point where people will go there on
a day trip outside of events and football games. With the clippers arena coming which will equal more foot traffic since there will be way more games than football, hopefully that, the Olympics and the current boom of gentrification will warrant the addition of the wrap around retail. :shrug:

craigs
May 24, 2022, 4:15 AM
Environmental review starts for West L.A. Civic Center redevelopment (https://la.urbanize.city/post/environmental-review-starts-west-la-civic-center-redevelopment)

More than 900 homes could be added to the nine-acre site

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
May 23, 2022

A year-and-a-half ago, Abode Communities and AvalonBay Communities were selected to lead a long-proposed revamp of the West Los Angeles Civic Center. Now, the two developers must negotiate the hard part of the process: CEQA.

The West L.A. Commons project, per an initial study released this month by the Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning, would include 1.1 million square feet of new development across a nine-acre site bounded by Santa Monica Boulevard, Iowa Avenue, Corinth Avenue, and Butler Avenue. Plans call for the construction of nine new buildings featuring a combined total of:
926 residential units (including 495 market-rate and 431 income-restricted units)

36,569 square feet of neighborhood-serving retail and restaurant uses
76,341 square feet of municipal offices, and
a 23,868-square-foot replacement facility for the Felicia Mahood Multipurpose Center.

Plans also call for more than 100,000 square feet of publicly-accessible open space on the campus - roughly double what exists today - as well as parking for over 1,500 vehicles.

West L.A. Commons - designed by a team which includes Koning Eizenberg, Olin, and AC Martin - would include contemporary low-rise structures, ranging between two and eight stories in height. The new construction would be arranged around a network of interior paseos and courtyards.

Several structures from the existing mid-century campus are to be retained, including a public library, a police station, and a historic band stand, which are not slated for changes. The former West L.A. Courthouse, however, is slated to be converted into an arts pavilion with housing and commercial uses.

Pending approvals and the availability of financing, construction of the redevelopment scheme is slated to occur over a roughly four-year period commencing in 2024 and concluding by 2028.

The comment period for the West L.A. Commons initial study will run through July 1. A scoping meeting is scheduled for June 14.

The current plan for West L.A. Commons dates to 2020, when the City and County of Los Angeles agreed to jointly release a request for proposals seeking developers for the publicly-owned land. The winning team of AvalonBay and Abode Communities, which was selected by a panel which included both County and City officials was announced in January 2021.

Since partnering on the West L.A. project, Abode and Avalon have expanded their partnership to another publicly-owned site in Southern California: the former Marine Air Corps Station in Tustin. The two developers were recently selected to build more than 1,200 homes on a 20-acre section of the former military facility.

craigs
May 24, 2022, 4:16 AM
And the images:
https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-05/west%20la%20commons%203.png?itok=BCw4IHPQ

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-05/west%20la%20commons%202.jpg?itok=m3Rf4t4a

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-05/west%20la%20commons%205.jpg?itok=LRcQ0fTK

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-05/west%20la%20commons%204.jpg?itok=xm-OTur8

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-05/west%20la%20commons%201.jpg?itok=mBpkrOJE

homebucket
May 24, 2022, 4:23 AM
Nice project. I like how the artist put “Boba” on one of the signs for the retail spots. They are with the times!

craigs
May 24, 2022, 4:27 AM
I lived in that neighborhood--my old apartment is included in the schematic drawing--and this renovation is long, long overdue. Goodbye parking lots! I would lament the loss of the old, faded mural on the post office building--but it's been so bleached out over the decades that I don't think people even notice it anymore.

homebucket
May 24, 2022, 5:04 AM
I lived in that neighborhood--my old apartment is included in the schematic drawing--and this renovation is long, long overdue. Goodbye parking lots! I would lament the loss of the old, faded mural on the post office building--but it's been so bleached out over the decades that I don't think people even notice it anymore.

It looks like the post office won't be a part of the project, so it should stay in place as is.

But yeah, overall a big improvement compared to what is there right now.

LAsam
May 24, 2022, 5:47 PM
Long overdue repurposing of the West LA Civic Center. Looks great, but I'd imagine the developers are going to have a massive fight on their hands to get the EIR approved on this one. Is this near enough to the Expo Line to benefit from TOD density bonuses? Looks like they are keeping some of the old facades and reusing them, which is pretty cool.

Illithid Dude
May 24, 2022, 6:02 PM
I wish it still included the high rise initially proposed but 1000 units and above average architecture is nothing to sneeze at. I'll take it!

ocman
May 24, 2022, 8:59 PM

That's a punishing block to walk. Reminds me of walking around the business/warehouse areas on the Inland Empire on a hot day. Some missed opportunities. The sidewalk landscaping is wide and filled with vegetation. They could have placed the sidewalk in the middle rather than pushed out into the street, to give a more pleasant park-like experience. Another missed opportunity is the the parking structure. If they're gonna consolidate parking, why not build has high as possible? This was one project where the city should have demanded a parking structure requirement. People are currently paying $1000s for an uber ride or parking spot for the Super Bowl. And that wasn't even stretched to max capacity of Sofi.

craigs
May 25, 2022, 1:25 AM
It looks like the post office won't be a part of the project, so it should stay in place as is.

But yeah, overall a big improvement compared to what is there right now.
I'm glad the mural won't be covered up. It is called "Isle of California," (1972) by Victor Henderson, Terry Schoonhoven, and Jim Frazin of the
Los Angeles Fine Arts Squad.

Here's what it looked like decades ago:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uTA3cfAI4Qo/TemUmqBxRXI/AAAAAAAAGDE/TmOKqWJ8s1M/s1600/federicodecalifornia.files.wordpress.com.jpg
source (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uTA3cfAI4Qo/TemUmqBxRXI/AAAAAAAAGDE/TmOKqWJ8s1M/s1600/federicodecalifornia.files.wordpress.com.jpg)

This is how I have always known it:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GmQj3LxBW7A/S9XI7tIsO7I/AAAAAAAAEHw/HVofNEAxDaY/s1600/Isle+of+California+mural.jpg
source (http://www.experiencingla.com/2010/04/faded-glory-of-california-mural-capital.html)

Perhaps the mural can be restored as part of the new development?

ChelseaFC
May 26, 2022, 4:34 PM
Tesla plans 24-hour restaurant/drive-in theatre/charging facility in Hollywood

https://whatnowlosangeles.com/tesla-submits-new-documentation-for-24-hour-restaurant/

https://whatnowlosangeles.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2022/05/My-project-2022-05-22T143913.455-1024x513.jpg?ezimgfmt=rs:780x391/rscb5/ng:webp/ngcb5

ChelseaFC
May 31, 2022, 7:29 PM
New AMC Dine-In 12 Topanga to open June 2 at Westfield Topanga expansion in Woodland Hills

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amc-theatres-unveils-most-popular-120000240.html

https://swinerton.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/WES_Topanga-Images_View02_190516-1030x687.jpg

Easy
Jun 4, 2022, 7:11 PM
A project in Westlake that hasn't progressed for year just got a construction loan. That's often quickly followed by a groundbreaking.

https://commercialobserver.com/2022/06/churchill-supplies-66m-construction-loan-on-la-apartments/

Urbanize article from 6 years ago: https://la.urbanize.city/post/new-renderings-eight-story-westlake-project

Also Jamison which currently has several projects under construction, received approval from the planning department for their project at 626 Kingsley in Koreatown. This project sits on Kingsley directly behind the two towers that Jamison has under construction on Ardmore.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/127-apartments-retail-replace-office-building-koreatown

craigs
Jun 7, 2022, 6:30 PM
633 apartments with commercial space planned in Hollywood (https://la.urbanize.city/post/633-apartments-commercial-space-planned-hollywood)

Plans call for four new buildings - including 15- and 13-story structures

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
June 7, 2022

A handful of commercial buildings and parking lots just south of the Hollywood Walk of Fame could be folded into a new mixed-use complex featuring housing, offices, and other commercial spaces, according to a case file published today by the Los Angeles Department of City Planning.

The proposed project, filed by an entity affiliated with Los Angeles-based real estate firm R.W. Selby & Co., would rise from two separate sites located on the south side of Hollywood Boulevard at its intersections with Las Palmas Avenue and Cherokee Avenue. Plans call for the construction of four new buildings, creating a total of 633 residential units, approximately 29,600 square feet of offices, and over 41,700 square feet of retail and restaurant space. Additionally, the retention of four existing structures fronting Hollywood and Las Palms would maintain 32,400 square feet of commercial uses already on the sites.

The first site, which sits to the south of the Walk of Fame between Las Palmas and Cherokee, would see the removal of an existing surface parking lot, followed by the construction of:

a seven-story, 87-foot-tall building featuring 46 residential units above 4,245 square feet of ground-floor commercial space;
a 15-story, 181-foot tall building with 281 residential units and 30,200 square feet of commercial space; and
a seven-story, 78-foot tall building with 66 residential units above 7,152 square feet of ground-floor office space.
Plans also call for 353 parking stalls in a subterranean garage below the three buildings. R.W. Selby could alternatively developer the 46-unit structure as a 77-room hotel within the same building envelope.

The second site, located east across the street, has an L-shaped footprint and includes buildings at 1638-1644 Cherokee Avenue and 6626-6636 Hollywood Boulevard. Plans call for razing the Cherokee Avenue structures, as well as a rear portion of the two Hollywood Boulevard buildings, to enable the construction of a new 13-story, 153-foot-tall building with 22,492 square feet of offices and 240 residential units. Parking for 109 vehicles would be located within two subterranean levels below the building.

Studio One Eleven is designing the project, which would feature contemporary buildings clad in materials including brick, stone, and metal. The larger first site, located on the west side of Cherokee, would be divided by a series of pedestrian paseos, activated by commercial uses and lined with landscaping and seating.

The proposed follows a number of recent mixed-use projects on the side streets to the south of Hollywood Boulevard, including Mill Creek Residential's two-building Modera Hollywood apartments and the proposed Crossroads Hollywood complex.

R.W. Selby & Co. is also attached to another project nearby - a modular 202-unit apartment complex slated to replace a surface parking lot at 1601 Las Palmas.

craigs
Jun 7, 2022, 6:33 PM
The pics accompanying the above article:

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-06/hollywood%20central%20aerial.jpg?itok=SdsscxTQ

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-06/hollywood%20central%20site%201.jpg?itok=9NYA57un

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-06/hollywood%20central%20site%202.jpg?itok=iiPO84Hm

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-06/hollywood%20central%20site%201%202.jpg?itok=ciXIofom

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-06/hollywood%20central%20site%201%201.jpg?itok=w-gEWt32

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-06/hollywood%20central%20site%202%201.JPG?itok=oRfSeNs4

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-06/las%20palmas%20cherokee%20hollywood.JPG?itok=spSlAJAM

LosAngelesSportsFan
Jun 7, 2022, 11:13 PM
Absolutely fantastic! This is a perfect scale / massing and built environment for Hollywood. Please replicate 50 times

craigs
Jun 7, 2022, 11:20 PM
375-unit apartment tower reaches its peak in Koreatown (https://la.urbanize.city/post/375-unit-apartment-tower-reaches-its-peak-koreatown)

At the intersection of 7th and New Hampshire

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
June 7, 2022

One block southwest of the intersection of Wilshire Boulevard and Vermont Avenue in Koreatown, vertical construction is complete for a new apartment tower from Holland Partner Group, and glass is climbing the trunk of the building.

Located at the northeast corner of 7th Street and New Hampshire Avenue, the project consists of a 38-story building which will feature 375 residential units on its upper floors.

MVE + Partners is designing the contemporary glass-and-steel tower, which places its apartments atop an eight-story parking podium. Architectural plans show amenity decks above both the building's podium and rooftop.

According to a landing page on the Holland Partner Group website, the project will be named "Hallasan." Completion of the tower is expected in Spring 2023.

Hallasan was originally approved as a component of a larger mixed-use project by Harridge Development Group, which also calls for converting a former I. Magnin department store on Wilshire Boulevard into a 160-room hotel, while construction a low-rise apartment building next door.

The tower is the latest in a recent string of high-rise developments along in Koreatown, following the 25-story Kurve on Wilshire and 3033 Wilshire. Other projects in the works include a two-tower complex from Jamison Services near Wilshire/Normandie Station and the 40-story Terrace Block development.

Holland Partner Group, in addition to Hallasan, is also building a 185-unit apartment building in East Hollywood, and is behind proposed projects in Echo Park, Mid-Wilshire, and San Pedro.

craigs
Jun 7, 2022, 11:21 PM
https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w_watermark/public/2022-06/696%20S%20New%20Hampshire%20by%20Hunter%20Kerhart%2006.jpg?itok=VzKtEW2W

edale
Jun 8, 2022, 12:38 AM
This tower makes quite an impact from the trails in Griffith Park. I'm wondering if the Mitsui tower u/c on Fig will be visible from that angle? As of last week, it was not.

wisheye
Jun 8, 2022, 12:51 AM
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220603005137/en/CIM-Group-Acquires-Cement-Plant-Property-in-Bustling-HollywoodWest-Hollywood-Areas-of-Greater-Los-Angeles

Interesting news about the Cemex plant on La Brea. Seems so out of place there. This will nicely add to the Sycamore/La Brea stretch that's sprouting there.

sopas ej
Jun 8, 2022, 4:58 PM
Absolutely fantastic! This is a perfect scale / massing and built environment for Hollywood. Please replicate 50 times

Totally. Some months ago my partner and I went to that Selma Avenue corridor and didn't realize how bustling and lively it's become. Hollywood just keeps evolving.

LAsam
Jun 8, 2022, 5:34 PM
This tower makes quite an impact from the trails in Griffith Park. I'm wondering if the Mitsui tower u/c on Fig will be visible from that angle? As of last week, it was not.

Yeah, I noticed it from the 110N when I looked out towards the west. Definitely stands out!

bossabreezes
Jun 8, 2022, 5:45 PM
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220603005137/en/CIM-Group-Acquires-Cement-Plant-Property-in-Bustling-HollywoodWest-Hollywood-Areas-of-Greater-Los-Angeles

Interesting news about the Cemex plant on La Brea. Seems so out of place there. This will nicely add to the Sycamore/La Brea stretch that's sprouting there.

Great news, this cement plant is such a waste of space in a highly desirable location. Hopefully something good happens here!

LosAngelesSportsFan
Jun 8, 2022, 9:34 PM
Totally. Some months ago my partner and I went to that Selma Avenue corridor and didn't realize how bustling and lively it's become. Hollywood just keeps evolving.

Definitely. Hollywood is shaping up really really nicely. If we could accelerate the Hollywood Blvd street make over, several other major projects and clean up the homeless, that's gonna be a fantastic LA neighborhood

craigs
Jun 8, 2022, 11:21 PM
Urbanize Los Angeles has posted (https://la.urbanize.city/post/633-apartments-commercial-space-planned-hollywood) a color rendering of the Hollywood project since I posted the article:

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2022-06/AERIAL_STUD_HOLLYWOODCENTRAL_V01.jpg?itok=bLu9xJxk

bossabreezes
Jun 9, 2022, 12:35 AM
^such an impressive project! Love this, hope that they can replicate this all over Hollywood.

Radio5
Jun 9, 2022, 4:11 AM

You can even see it from the silverlake reservoir, it's great.

Radio5
Jun 9, 2022, 4:16 AM
[QUOTE=craigs;9644633]Urbanize Los Angeles has posted (https://la.urbanize.city/post/633-apartments-commercial-space-planned-hollywood) a color rendering of the Hollywood project since I posted the article:

They even put a render of the building across the street. Hopefully that means it's happening. Imagine this with the Crossroads development as well. That's still happening, right?

wisheye
Jun 9, 2022, 4:44 AM
Definitely. Hollywood is shaping up really really nicely. If we could accelerate the Hollywood Blvd street make over, several other major projects and clean up the homeless, that's gonna be a fantastic LA neighborhood

I think the Crossroads development by itself will put Hollywood over the top (assuming of course that the homeless situation can be mitigated).

Easy
Jun 10, 2022, 5:23 PM
I think the Crossroads development by itself will put Hollywood over the top (assuming of course that the homeless situation can be mitigated).

I don't know what development or project will put Hollywood over the top, but I believe that it's going to experience a wave of large-scale and iconic developments very soon. Three environmental reports were released just this week, one of which has a very iconic structure that we've previously seen.

The weird thing though, is that while the city hasn't yet adopted the Hollywood Community Plan, I don't think that the Plan allows for much more development than is already planned. Hollywood could be capped by the time the Plan is finally approved later this year. Unless the local and state laws allowing for more housing near transit supersede the plan and make it moot.

caligrad
Jun 14, 2022, 11:01 PM
Didn't get a chance to grab pictures but the new Clippers arena is further along than i thought. I thought we were at least a few months away from groundbreaking but that thing looks to be 30-40% complete already. Mind Blown.

colemonkee
Jun 15, 2022, 3:04 AM
This development might also put Hollywood over the top if it comes to fruition...

https://la.urbanize.city/post/new-details-emerge-star-sunset

craigs
Jun 15, 2022, 3:08 AM
This development might also put Hollywood over the top if it comes to fruition...

I think that's my favorite proposal in the entire Southland. It's so appropriate for Hollywood.

colemonkee
Jun 15, 2022, 3:25 AM
It's like MAD stood the Lucas Museum up, sheathed it in glass, and had it dine at the Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles across the street for about 6 months straight with no exercise. And since I like both MAD & Roscoe's, I ain't, well, mad...

caligrad
Jun 15, 2022, 4:15 AM
Wishing The Palladium Twins are built. Hollywood/Sunset is turning out to be a very interesting corridor.

Illithid Dude
Jun 15, 2022, 9:47 AM
I stand firmly against that proposal. It's an ungainly design that interacts horribly with the pedestrian sphere. And I generally like MAD Architects!

SoCalKid
Jun 15, 2022, 7:18 PM
I stand firmly against that proposal. It's an ungainly design that interacts horribly with the pedestrian sphere. And I generally like MAD Architects!

Don't worry, there's next to a 0% chance it gets built. This design is outright silly - it'd be insanely expensive to build and would be wildly impractical from a tenant perspective. Seems to me like a delusional/unsophisticated owner with MAD just going along for the ride because it allows them to put some crazy renderings out there with their name on it.

LAisthePlace
Jun 15, 2022, 9:35 PM
Speaking of MAD architects (how great is it that we have one of the most aesthetically ambitious architecture firms now in town) I spotted to Lucas Museum last week as I was flying back to Los Angeles.

Coming along very nicely. Going to be an icon for Los Angeles for years to come. :tup:

https://i.imgur.com/6svy21M.jpg

craigs
Jun 16, 2022, 4:06 AM
Speaking of MAD architects (how great is it that we have one of the most aesthetically ambitious architecture firms now in town) I spotted to Lucas Museum last week as I was flying back to Los Angeles.

Coming along very nicely. Going to be an icon for Los Angeles for years to come. :tup:
Thanks for the pic--not only does it show the Lucas Museum taking shape, it also shows what appears to be site prep for the structure that will contain the Space Shuttle Endeavor.

ChelseaFC
Jun 18, 2022, 3:42 PM
UCLA renovation of historic 1941 Crest Theatre in Westwood scheduled for completion in March 2023

https://cap.ucla.edu/landing/the_nimoy

https://cap.ucla.edu/data/files/general/Nimoy_Exterior_740.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/--Al6IkXOvoo/XoIhpFKYKUI/AAAAAAAAtio/oxij5NC1dEI86zNW9SHRYHXasoViLah1QCLcBGAsYHQ/s640/Crest-KevinRoderick-2020.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhdPONOGcbIsTaJN1Vw4AUxE3eoakU626k9aUaavxEbwtvARiw9bB6qQuXJgcShpgU15szOissal1Stt_xLy24ScBdt9rxEFIJ4Xvl325-bYfblUojoajXFoDYyJGC3hUyrX6m8ncQ-f6VOH1AgBC4oqp4XVKrffVGedMAGh_nNSoUlhpMq2Yulf4I0Lw/w640-h480/Crest-CAP-2022-6-16-1.jpg
https://losangelestheatres.blogspot.com/2017/03/crest-theatre.html

Busy Bee
Jun 18, 2022, 5:28 PM
Was it really necessary to rename it?

Easy
Jun 18, 2022, 6:13 PM

What's the issue with the name?

craigs
Jun 18, 2022, 10:21 PM

What's the issue with the name?
Two points.

First, according to the link, that theater was called the UCLAN Theater when it first opened in 1940. It was later renamed the Metro in the late 1950s, and then renamed the Metro in the 1980s, then back to the Crest by the end of that decade--so it's not really a big deal to rename it yet again.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/a/AVvXsEj3Ni8FhIf3EMP6oxbnvajtDsTNC0CCtW3gXLH1xO1eTZ4h9mPaiH-EdOX4nUnSucbNshsPZLBaSQNRjBbDyxJ_BJkjD9O5-lBID8-yREMUUzUd4STZfjnU9coHUNigqYrMkNSePjPAYbQJvvQ7WYaPHlU3LEzqVkOHyObvnDKHxVaWZpce9WpOTvM5Nw=s320

Second, there's reason to rename it the UCLA Nimoy Theater: UCLA bought the building, Leonard Nimoy studied at UCLA, and his widow, Susan Bay Nimoy, initially funded this renovation.

Any more complaints?

Illithid Dude
Jun 19, 2022, 2:25 AM
Cranes up for Jamison’s two tower project in Koreatown.

Busy Bee
Jun 19, 2022, 2:53 AM
Two points.

First, according to the link, that theater was called the UCLAN Theater when it first opened in 1940. It was later renamed the Metro in the late 1950s, and then renamed the Metro in the 1980s, then back to the Crest by the end of that decade--so it's not really a big deal to rename it yet again.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/a/AVvXsEj3Ni8FhIf3EMP6oxbnvajtDsTNC0CCtW3gXLH1xO1eTZ4h9mPaiH-EdOX4nUnSucbNshsPZLBaSQNRjBbDyxJ_BJkjD9O5-lBID8-yREMUUzUd4STZfjnU9coHUNigqYrMkNSePjPAYbQJvvQ7WYaPHlU3LEzqVkOHyObvnDKHxVaWZpce9WpOTvM5Nw=s320

Second, there's reason to rename it the UCLA Nimoy Theater: UCLA bought the building, Leonard Nimoy studied at UCLA, and his widow, Susan Bay Nimoy, initially funded this renovation.

Any more complaints?

UCLANIMOY

The perfect compromise. Probably won't fit on the marquee though...

LA21st
Jun 19, 2022, 3:20 AM
Cranes up for Jamison’s two tower project in Koreatown.

Oh wow! Great news!

craigs
Jun 19, 2022, 3:42 AM
What is the Koreatown project?

Easy
Jun 19, 2022, 3:53 AM
What is the Koreatown project?

This one. Jamison also just got funding for a smaller building just behind it.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/two-tower-development-breaks-ground-koreatown

craigs
Jun 19, 2022, 10:51 PM
This one. Jamison also just got funding for a smaller building just behind it.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/two-tower-development-breaks-ground-koreatown
Thanks, forgot about that one!

Quixote
Jun 19, 2022, 10:55 PM
I think that's my favorite proposal in the entire Southland. It's so appropriate for Hollywood.

It's not my taste, but I think we need more things that are outlandish/Instagram-worthy (and that's a very LA thing to say) that they are place-making because just about everything else being built is either ugly, generic, or nice but still relatively ordinary.

Easy
Jun 20, 2022, 1:33 AM
It's not my taste, but I think we need more things that are outlandish/Instagram-worthy (and that's a very LA thing to say) that they are place-making because just about everything else being built is either ugly, generic, or nice but still relatively ordinary.

I think that truly revolutionary design must be controversial and this will certainly meet that standard. Whether you love it or hate it, you can't ignore it.

wisheye
Jun 20, 2022, 3:29 AM
I think that truly revolutionary design must be controversial and this will certainly meet that standard. Whether you love it or hate it, you can't ignore it.

Agreed. And for something like this, criticizing the way it interacts with the street for pedestrian flow etc, also misses the point IMO. There is always room for some revolutionary architecture in a dense neighborhood that doesn't comply with all the check-boxes of great urban design. It brings with it a certain type of pizzazz that is equally valuable.

ChelseaFC
Jun 20, 2022, 5:01 AM
Agreed. And for something like this, criticizing the way it interacts with the street for pedestrian flow etc, also misses the point IMO. There is always room for some revolutionary architecture in a dense neighborhood that doesn't comply with all the check-boxes of great urban design. It brings with it a certain type of pizzazz that is equally valuable.

Like Vegas for example. They have lots of crazy designs with far setbacks but no one complains about pedestrian interaction. It works fine.

Some people just want LA to look and feel exactly like Manhattan or Chicago. I’ve always said those people should probably just move there, since it seems like they’d be happier with that lifestyle.

Illithid Dude
Jun 21, 2022, 7:42 AM
Not sure I would use Las Vegas as an example of a city with positive pedestrian interaction. The place is basically a bleached sunbelt parking lot. LA should aspire to more.

LosAngelesSportsFan
Jun 21, 2022, 3:27 PM
Not sure I would use Las Vegas as an example of a city with positive pedestrian interaction. The place is basically a bleached sunbelt parking lot. LA should aspire to more.

I agree. Vegas is a horrible pedestrian experience. Downtown LA and the core should look at SF, NYC, DC, Chicago as aspiration

ChelseaFC
Jun 21, 2022, 3:49 PM

Disagree, but to each his own. In any case, I don't see a problem with the Star tower street interaction. It's an absolute myth that a structure needs to be directly on the sidewalk in order to be welcoming/inviting to pedestrians.

What would be more impactful for the pedestrian experience is Sunset getting a road diet. Right now it's essentially a highway.

ocman
Jun 23, 2022, 12:50 AM
I agree. Vegas is a horrible pedestrian experience. Downtown LA and the core should look at SF, NYC, DC, Chicago as aspiration

LA already has a Vegas strip which we call Hollywood Blvd. It’s pedestrian active exclusively because of the flood of tourists, but that isn’t actually what LA should aim for, a street where actual Angelenos avoid walking at all costs.

craigs
Jun 23, 2022, 3:00 AM
LA already has a Vegas strip which we call Hollywood Blvd. It’s pedestrian active exclusively because of the flood of tourists, but that isn’t actually what LA should aim for, a street where actual Angelenos avoid walking at all costs.
Don't actual Angelenos avoid walking at all costs, generally and everywhere? ;)

eQF7FDeUePA

craigs
Jun 23, 2022, 10:02 PM
City Planning Commission green lights medical office tower at Wilshire & San Vicente (https://la.urbanize.city/post/city-planning-commission-green-lights-medical-office-tower-wilshire-san-vicente)

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
June 23, 2022

Five years after filing its application with the Planning Department, Stockdale Capital Partners has secured the Los Angeles City Planning Commission's approval to redevelop a trapezoid-shaped lot at the intersection of Wilshire and San Vicente Boulevards with a medical office tower.

In a unanimous vote, Commissioner's approved Stockdale's proposed development, which is slated for the site of a Big 5 Sporting Goods store at 656 San Vicente Boulevard. The project calls for the construction of a 12-story building featuring approximately 140,000 square feet of medical office space atop podium parking for 418 vehicles and 5,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial uses.

The tower, designed by ZGF Architects, would be clad in glass and rise to an apex of approximately 230 feet above street level. The building is described as having a contemporary appearance, and would have a wedge-shaped appearance at Wilshire and San Vicente. Outdoor terraces carved into the San Vicente side of the building gradually scale up in height moving north away from Wilshire.

An environmental impact report circulated by the City of Los Angeles has estimated that the project will be built over a roughly two-year period. The project will ultimately require the approval of a general plan amendment and zone change by the City Council.

The Commission's approval of the project did not come without opposition, however. Stockdale was faced with three appellants at the hearing, including the union-affiliated organization Supporters Alliance for Environmental Responsibility (or SAFER), the Beverly Wilshire Homeowners' Association, and attorney Michael Yadegari. Each of the appellants argued that the plan was in violation of both the California Environmental Quality Act and local zoning regulations, and urged the Commission to overturn an approval of the project's vesting tentative tract map. That sentiment was echoed in comments from residents of the surrounding neighborhood, who focused on the project's potential impacts on traffic congestion and street parking.

Commissioners ultimately followed a staff recommendation to deny all three appeals, citing a lack of evidence in support of their claims.

The medical office tower is one of a handful of large new developments in the works along San Vicente to the north of Wilshire Boulevard, including developer (and mayoral candidate) Rick Caruso's proposed 16-story apartment tower at the street's intersection with La Cienega Boulevard. A similar 19-story tower is also primed to rise next door to a church at 333 San Vicente Boulevard.

Outside of high-rise housing, Cedars-Sinai is also pursuing an expansion on San Vicente which would add a new patient tower to the hospital.

craigs
Jun 23, 2022, 10:03 PM
And the images:

View of 656 San Vicente from street looking northeast
https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/2021-06/656%20san%20vicente%20stockdale%20zgf%201.jpg?itok=iHbiDI48

Aerial view looking north
https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/field/image/656%20san%20vicente%202.jpg?itok=cpg-WR9R

https://la.urbanize.city/sites/default/files/styles/2018_article_gallery_image_2000w/public/field/image/san%20vicente%20and%20wilshire.jpg?itok=BZrrjnag

Zapatan
Jun 23, 2022, 10:43 PM
The star may finally be happening apparently.

Pending approvals by Los Angeles city officials, including a general plan amendment and a zone change, the environmental study states that construction of The Star is expected to commence in 2024 and conclude by 2027.

homebucket
Jun 23, 2022, 11:00 PM
City Planning Commission green lights medical office tower at Wilshire & San Vicente (https://la.urbanize.city/post/city-planning-commission-green-lights-medical-office-tower-wilshire-san-vicente)

That's a sharp looking little tower. Nice height and massing. The rounded windows on the corners are a nice touch. Good street appeal and interaction as well.

LosAngelesSportsFan
Jun 24, 2022, 4:11 AM
Huge news!

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-06-23/beverly-hills-historic-saks-fifth-avenue-development-coming-with-offices-apartments

sopas ej
Jun 24, 2022, 4:17 AM
Huge news!

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-06-23/beverly-hills-historic-saks-fifth-avenue-development-coming-with-offices-apartments

Wow, that is indeed huge news! I can't wait to see that start to shape up...

ocman
Jun 24, 2022, 5:52 AM
Don't actual Angelenos avoid walking at all costs, generally and everywhere? ;)

eQF7FDeUePA

I should correct myself. Angelenos won’t even drive there.

LA21st
Jun 25, 2022, 9:53 PM
Any news on sunset and crescent hts?
I noticed its still fenced off.