PDA

View Full Version : NEW YORK | 3 Hudson Blvd (The Girasole) | 987 FT | 56 FLOORS | ON HOLD

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Alliance
Nov 4, 2007, 3:15 PM
I meant under construction and proposed only. I believe NYC has more 1000+ proposals on the table right now, three at the WTC alone, two on far west side, BofA and NYTimes that come to mind immediately.

Kind of. Things are done differently in Chicago than New York. We don't really make threads for things we don't have very official confirmation of (ie that we have renders and a serious propoal) as opposed to "this lot was sold and this developer wants to build something.

If we used the New York system, we would have three more proposal-rumors. These would include Pelli's Wolf Proposal, Smith's Franklin Proposal, and Smith's Zero Energy tower. These being the ones that have gotten some press. There should be other serous rumos as well (somone like Pandemonious of Bvic would know), I'm just not in the Loop enough(fig and lit :haha:) to know.

I think both cities are doing very well right now and bringing some great new quality to the table.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/delta2094/CHiandNYC.jpg

Dac150
Nov 4, 2007, 3:21 PM
I think both cities are doing very well right now and bringing some great new quality to the table.

:tup:

NYguy
Nov 4, 2007, 7:51 PM
Kind of. Things are done differently in Chicago than New York. We don't really make threads for things we don't have very official confirmation of (ie that we have renders and a serious propoal) as opposed to "this lot was sold and this developer wants to build something.

If we used the New York system, we would have three more proposal-rumors.

Keep your "Chicago system" in Chicago. New York could care less what threads you have or don't have. I can never understand Chicago forumn members obsession with constantly trying to stack up to New York. Be excited about what you have. Being Chicago doesn't mean you have to be New York.

NYguy
Nov 4, 2007, 7:55 PM
Not to exact scale, but a comparison of the two 34th Street designs...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/88418918/large.jpg

NYguy
Nov 4, 2007, 7:57 PM
I like this tower, but at the same time find it boring. It does not look like a 1000 footer to me.

Guess it depends on perspective also. Here's a comparison of a similar rendering (also not to scale) that gives an idea...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/88419222/medium.jpg

Dac150
Nov 4, 2007, 7:58 PM
This will be the ultimate canyon entrance.

tdawg
Nov 4, 2007, 8:13 PM
avoiding a city vs city, there's no denying that New York is at least growing, having added a million people since 1990 (the city, not the metro). These people will need places to work and live, and land is scarce, so that means going up, up, up...

NYguy
Nov 4, 2007, 8:14 PM
This will be the ultimate canyon entrance.

BTW, the largest of those towers on 34th has yet to be revealed. Then there's the entire railyard development that has to be revealed as well. Who knows what the dominant tower will be?...

NYguy
Nov 4, 2007, 8:16 PM
avoiding a city vs city, there's no denying that New York is at least growing, having added a million people since 1990 (the city, not the metro). These people will need places to work and live, and land is scarce, so that means going up, up, up...

That was the thinking behind the Hudson Yards redevelopment. Things seem to be moving along faster than the 30-year-span thinking of the city. I guess we have to take into account that things will eventuall slow down for a couple of years (as they always do).

Dac150
Nov 4, 2007, 8:22 PM
BTW, the largest of those towers on 34th has yet to be revealed. Then there's the entire railyard development that has to be revealed as well. Who knows what the dominant tower will be?...

That's the beauty of those two towers (Sherwood not confirmed heightwise). They are just the tip of the iceburg of whats to come. Most cities would be happy to get just one of those buildings. For NYC their just the begining.

Dac150
Nov 4, 2007, 8:23 PM
I guess we have to take into account that things will eventuall slow down for a couple of years (as they always do).

The 1990's.

NYguy
Nov 4, 2007, 8:55 PM
NOVEMBER 3, 2007

The site looking east on 34th Street. The red brick building on the left is on the site of
the planned park and Hudson Boulevard that will seperate this tower from Sherwood's planned giant...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/88421102/large.jpg

A passing glance into the pit...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/88421148/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/88421199/medium.jpg

CHAPINM1
Nov 4, 2007, 8:56 PM
The 1990's.

The 80's didn't seem so hot either.

BTW, thanks for the pics NYGUY!

NYguy
Nov 4, 2007, 9:00 PM

BTW, thanks for the pics NYGUY!

No problem. There was a lot of space built in the 80's that led to problems in the 90's. That in turn led to things going relatively quiet for a while, which is why we're in the predicament we are now - new space being gobbled up almost as quickly as it comes on the market. There always has to be a certain amount of space available.

Dac150
Nov 4, 2007, 9:23 PM

They were and weren't. Some well know buildings that went up in that decade were the WFC, 7 WTC, 1 Worldwide Plaza, The IBM Building, The AT&T Building, 1585 Broadway, The Lipstick Building.

The early 90's (90,91) weren't as bad. You had the completion of the WFC, some build up around Times Square (Bertlesman, 1585 Broadway), and 712 Fifth Avenue. After that, things started going down hill.

I would say NYC's building booms were:

1920-1939
1959-1990
2002-Present

The 40's and 50's were more like innovative years (seagram, UN, Lever House, 100 Park Avenue, Time Life, and some others of 6th.

CoolCzech
Nov 4, 2007, 10:19 PM

Wow! They're going to loom side by side, veritable (dare I say it?) Twins...

CoolCzech
Nov 4, 2007, 10:29 PM

You gotta figure someone will grab for the chance to put up New York's forever tallest tower, a 2,000 footer. If they can't overcome NIMBY opposition in the middle of an abandoned railyard, than New York will never have a 2,000 footer anywhere.

speedy1979
Nov 4, 2007, 10:41 PM
You gotta figure someone will grab for the chance to put up New York's forever tallest tower, a 2,000 footer. If they can't overcome NIMBY opposition in the middle of an abandoned railyard, than New York will never have a 2,000 footer anywhere.

I agree they should combine the two buildings into one then add an architectural top. We need a 2000 footer.

Dac150
Nov 4, 2007, 10:56 PM
Not 2,000 ft, 2,001 ft. Then NYC will have the tallest in the country.

Dac150
Nov 4, 2007, 10:57 PM
[img]Wow! They're going to loom side by side, veritable (dare I say it?) Twins...

Thats what I though when I saw that rendering. I garuntee people walking on the street next to these things when they are completed will have that thought of the WTC in their head.

charmedone
Nov 4, 2007, 11:29 PM
Be wary of posters with single digit post counts, as its obviously some troll looking for trouble. No sane person begins posting in the forum with ridiculous comments, its usually someone who's a member already.

um idk what porbelm u have with me posting on this sight but i hate to say it but your just gonna have to deal with it pretty much what i was saying there was that as time gos on new york will have more 1000 footers then chicago

Dac150
Nov 4, 2007, 11:36 PM
um idk what porbelm u have with me posting on this sight but i hate to say it but your just gonna have to deal with it pretty much what i was saying there was that as time gos on new york will have more 1000 footers then chicago

How can you determine that (As much as I would like that)?:haha: Your like a regular Nostradamus.

CoolCzech
Nov 4, 2007, 11:45 PM

Yeah, well my only problem with your posts is trying to decypher your writing. Is English your second (or third) language, or is this doggerel what passes for "hip" grammar these days?

Dac150
Nov 4, 2007, 11:47 PM
Honestly charmedone, if you have nothing of value to contribute on this thread, then take it else where.

Alliance
Nov 5, 2007, 12:11 AM
Keep your "Chicago system" in Chicago. New York could care less what threads you have or don't have. I can never understand Chicago forumn members obsession with constantly trying to stack up to New York. Be excited about what you have. Being Chicago doesn't mean you have to be New York.

I'd simply say the same for you. I merely answered another forumers observation...nothing to blow a gasket about.
How can you determine that (As much as I would like that)?:haha: Your like a regular Nostradamus.

I'd like to know too.
Is English your second (or third) language
Maybe it is. All of us weren't born speaking it.

CoolCzech
Nov 5, 2007, 12:28 AM
Maybe it is. All of us weren't born speaking it.

Neither was I.

If so, then maybe he should take extra care to avoid crap like "u" instead of "you"... and I doubt too many foreigners would use the expression "gonna." The bottom line is: if he wants me to understand his posts, he should make an effort. Even if if he thinks its more cool to post in "'Net slang"...

NYguy
Nov 5, 2007, 1:09 PM

Wow! They're going to loom side by side, veritable (dare I say it?) Twins...

Yeah, but don't be fooled by that. These "twins" would have a lot more competition surrounding them...

NYguy
Nov 5, 2007, 1:12 PM

LOL, that's probably true. That's probably the least populated area of Manhattan. But anything over 1,300 ft likely would have to be residential. Office towers aren't really built that high anymore. Unless, maybe a half & half tower, with residences at the top (the Girasole comes to mind).

NYguy
Nov 5, 2007, 1:14 PM
I'd simply say the same for you.

No need. I don't join the Chicago threads with talk of New York developments. That's what the New York threads are for. I'm saying there is no need for your constantly comparing the two, as you only invite arguments by doing so.

Thefigman
Nov 5, 2007, 1:55 PM
Yeah, but don't be fooled by that. These "twins" would have a lot more competition surrounding them...

True, but these two would more than likely be built first. There might be a few years where these "twins" will really stand out.

NYguy
Nov 5, 2007, 9:40 PM
True, but these two would more than likely be built first. There might be a few years where these "twins" will really stand out.

That may be true for the Girasole. But the railyard development already has tenants lined up. It's possible they could get underway before or at the same time as Sherwood's tower. But Sherwood has the less complicated site to build on.

Then there's the matter of the Convention Center hotel that could be nearly 1,000 ft (just north of the Girasole).

NYguy
Nov 6, 2007, 8:06 PM
http://www.therealdeal.net/issues/November_2007/1194216929.php

City makes way for Hudson Yards
Buildings on far West Side seized for massive redevelopment

http://www.therealdeal.net//issues/November_2007/images/1194216929.jpg

Tenants at 545 West 34th were told to leave.

By Katherine Dykstra
November 2007

When Alan Bleviss, a small business owner who rented office space on far West 34th street between 10th and 11th avenues, received a letter on August 1 from his new landlord telling him that he would have to relocate, he was disappointed but not surprised.

Since he moved his company, Pineapple Sounds, which does voiceovers, into 545 West 34th Street two years before, he'd been hearing rumblings among the other tenants about the massive redevelopment planned for the area known as Hudson Yards, including a possible extension of the No. 7 subway line.

But the rumors had been flying for so long that no one seemed to know what to believe, including whether any of it would ever come to fruition.

"I moved in from New Jersey, and I expected to die there," says Bleviss. "People told me in the building that this has been going on forever -- that this will never happen."

But it is happening. The city officially seized Bleviss' building, Infinity Court, a live/work construction owned by the Moinian Group, in August, and tenants moved out last month. The building was one of 11 taken by right of eminent domain in order to make room for the creation of the Hudson Park and Boulevard, which will eventually traverse the middle of the block from 33rd Street all the way to 39th Street. That's part of a grand redevelopment planned for the area, the rezoning of which was approved in January of 2005: The overall plan calls for 24 million square feet of Class A office space, 13,500 units of housing and a million square feet of retail, among other area improvements, which include the park and the 7 train extension.

The Park and Boulevard project will be constructed in two phases, and the seizures that occurred in August represent only the first group. The city has until October of 2015 to take the properties -- sited from 37th through 39th streets -- to complete the second phase of the project. (Like Moinian and the others who owned property taken for phase one of the project, those businesses are already aware that seizure is impending.)

According to Marya Cotten, vice president of acquisitions at the Hudson Yards Development Corporation, 60 companies, including 33 residents and 30 businesses, were affected in the initial condemnation.

Planning for the future subway station to be built at 34th Street and 11th Avenue called for the relocation of business, but the city was able to negotiate with all of the owners of those buildings -- including a catering facility; the FedEx warehouse on the south side of 34th Street, which will relocate to the Bronx; and the Copacabana, the site of which was bought by Extell -- and thus no condemnation needed to take place.

Those in the real estate world appreciate the effect of the change on smaller businesses like Bleviss'.

"There will be a transition period during which time there will be some adjustments for people," says Martin Ezratty, a director of sales at Eastern Consolidated.

"I think that's a fair question about where those people [small businesses] go... The city has a huge incentive to accommodate those people in Brooklyn or Harlem," says Simon Wasserberger, senior vice president of CB Richard Ellis. "From a city planning perspective, you could always find a home for those guys. What you can't always find a home for is a million-foot bank."

Wasserberger's point -- that the far West Side near the Hudson Yards is the only place in the city with enough square footage to accommodate such industry -- is well-taken. By not developing the area, the city would run the risk of losing that business to New Jersey or elsewhere, which could be very costly.

Times Square lite

With the redevelopment, if Eighth Avenue and Times Square are any indicator, the area is likely to become one of the highest in terms of property values in the city.

"They're achieving numbers [office rents] well into the $100s [a square foot] in Times Square now," says Jeff Katz, the owner of Sherwood Equities. "This [area] will be leased at a discount to Times Square, but that's just for the first wave. It will be a prime-central business district with 26 million square feet."

Katz himself invested in the area more than a decade ago by purchasing a commercial site with the potential of 2.5 million square feet of space at 34th and 10th, and a residential site kitty-corner to it at 10th Avenue and 35th Street. He purchased the commercial site in 1985 when there was talk of the Javits Center changing the area. He has been sitting on both properties, waiting until he sees signs of growth in the area to develop.

Robert K. Futterman, a retail broker, also has his eye on the area.

"We rep tenants who want to be there, landlords who are developing space," he says. "[Condo projects are] bringing more people to live in the neighborhood. The more people that live there, the more need there'll be for service-oriented businesses."

But with progress sometimes comes pain. The city paid Bleviss for his trouble, though he was reticent to disclose how much. It also retained the services of the Cornerstone Group to help the tenants of 545 West 34th Street find new space.

"I think we're being very proactive about trying to assist people to move -- so they have the cash to put money down on a new lease," says Cotten. "And they have more flexibility than with other companies because they'd be tied to leases they can't break ... all they have to do is give notice, and they can move on."

[u]Despite the offer of a free broker, Bleviss opted to find a space himself. He left on October 8, choosing to move before the city moved him. He now says he's happy with his new office space, which is located on Seventh Avenue and 54th Street. "I have a couple hundred dollars more a month in rent, and it was disruptive -- I lost a week of work moving," says Bleviss. "But they forced me to move to a better location."

NYguy
Nov 6, 2007, 11:16 PM
http://www.therealdeal.net/issues/November_2007/1194216929.php

City makes way for Hudson Yards
Buildings on far West Side seized for massive redevelopment

http://www.therealdeal.net//issues/November_2007/images/1194216929.jpg

Tenants at 545 West 34th were told to leave.

The city officially seized Bleviss' building, Infinity Court, a live/work construction owned by
the Moinian Group, in August, and tenants moved out last month. The building was one of 11
taken by right of eminent domain in order to make room for the creation of the Hudson Park
and Boulevard, which will eventually traverse the middle of the block from 33rd Street all the
way to 39th Street.

The Park and Boulevard project will be constructed in two phases, and the seizures that
occurred in August represent only the first group. The city has until October of 2015 to take
the properties -- sited from 37th through 39th streets -- to complete the second phase of
the project.

Planning for the future subway station to be built at 34th Street and 11th Avenue called for
the relocation of business, but the city was able to negotiate with all of the owners of those
buildings -- including a catering facility; the FedEx warehouse on the south side of 34th
Street, which will relocate to the Bronx; and the Copacabana, the site of which was bought
by Extell -- and thus no condemnation needed to take place.

The building at 545, shown here, borders the site, and will be part of the park
that will border the Girasole, and front Sherwood's tower along the new Avenue...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/88421102/large.jpg

Things are moving along nicely now...

NYguy
Nov 6, 2007, 11:19 PM
Since he moved his company, Pineapple Sounds, which does voiceovers, into 545 West 34th Street two years before, he'd been hearing rumblings among the other tenants about the massive redevelopment planned for the area known as Hudson Yards, including a possible extension of the No. 7 subway line. But the rumors had been flying for so long that no one seemed to know what to believe, including whether any of it would ever come to fruition.

"I moved in from New Jersey, and I expected to die there," says Bleviss. "People told me in the building that this has been going on forever -- that this will never happen."

All these people had to do was follow the process, and they would've seen the handwriting on the wall. However, unlike Atlantic Yards, this one moved smoothly.

"From a city planning perspective, you could always find a home for those guys. What you can't always find a home for is a million-foot bank."

Wasserberger's point -- that the far West Side near the Hudson Yards is the only place in the city with enough square footage to accommodate such industry -- is well-taken. By not developing the area, the city would run the risk of losing that business to New Jersey or elsewhere, which could be very costly.

Also true.

NYguy
Nov 19, 2007, 10:02 PM
Developer: Vornado/Durst
Architect: FXFowle architects

http://www.pbase.com/image/89193230.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/89193182.jpg

Check out the Girasole making a cameo appearance! This is great.

CoolCzech
Nov 20, 2007, 1:37 AM
With all these amazing proposals just rushing at us, I'm approaching sensory overload! :psycho:

New York City is now in the process of rolling up its sleeves and getting down to the work of showing the world, yet again, what it means to build a CITY.

Dac150
Nov 20, 2007, 1:49 AM
Now I know how people felt in the early 20th century when all the big booms started. Only this time it's on a larger scale.

CoolCzech
Nov 20, 2007, 2:02 AM
And to think only a few dozen months ago we were told the World Trade Center rebuild would be the most significant New York project of the 21st century! It's already in danger of being forgotten!

Dac150
Nov 20, 2007, 2:36 AM
I know. I haven't even thought of it in the last week. And considering the heights of those buildings, that really says something about the development scale that is happening on the Westside. It just overshadows everything.

NYguy
Nov 20, 2007, 2:11 PM
With all these amazing proposals just rushing at us, I'm approaching sensory overload! :psycho:

New York City is now in the process of rolling up its sleeves and getting down to the work of showing the world, yet again, what it means to build a CITY.

Same here, and its only a couple of weeks before we get down to business with the Penn Station/MSG redevelopment. It's like the Chrysler/Empire State/Rockefeller Center era all over again. Only, we're alive to witness it. The city has earned it's special place in the forum.

Manahata
Nov 21, 2007, 2:13 AM
Will the winner of the yards cause other builders who have interests on the perimeter to potentially compete to have their building stand out?

ie the Girasole?

NYguy
Nov 21, 2007, 1:36 PM
Will the winner of the yards cause other builders
who have interests on the perimeter to potentially compete to have their
building stand out?

Don't know, but I do know that Brookfield's tallest stands just below the site of the
largest of the Hudson Yards towers. Vornado's is just a block below that.

Shown here, the Girasole is the only one of the "four corners" towers added
to the model. The other 3 are identical place holders.

Developer: Vornado/Durst
Architect: FXFowle architects

http://www.pbase.com/image/89193230.jpg

hi123
Nov 22, 2007, 7:23 PM
how is construction progressing?

borgo100
Nov 22, 2007, 7:49 PM
how is construction progressing?

what construction?

hi123
Nov 22, 2007, 8:03 PM
well in earlier posts there were pics of excavation...

NYguy
Nov 23, 2007, 12:05 AM
well in earlier posts there were pics of excavation...

That's just site prep, no construction has started.

NYguy
Nov 23, 2007, 12:08 AM
Couple of pics of the model taken yesterday. Given that Vornado's tallest is about 1,200 ft,
the Girasole must be in the 1,100 ft range.

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/89338269/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/89338296/medium.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/89338269/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/89338296/large.jpg

TREPYE
Nov 23, 2007, 7:40 AM
What a stupid shape for a 1000 footer.:previous:

NYguy
Nov 23, 2007, 12:21 PM
What a stupid shape for a 1000 footer.:previous:

If you think that's stupid, just do a search in the diagrams.

Lecom
Nov 24, 2007, 1:29 AM
The Girasole may be one of the best 1000' background buildings out there.

scalziand
Nov 24, 2007, 2:02 AM
The condos on top are certainly going top have good views.

Fabb
Nov 24, 2007, 3:10 PM
The model and the view from the river look really good, but that :

http://i11.tinypic.com/681ws9j.jpg

...is ugly.
I can't even believe it's the same building.

NYguy
Nov 24, 2007, 10:36 PM

http://i11.tinypic.com/681ws9j.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/89338269/medium.jpg

...is ugly.

Obviously it wouldn't look like that. But as far as the "shape" of the tower goes, its no different to me than a building like the Sears Tower.

NYguy
Jan 7, 2008, 2:45 PM
JANUARY 6, 2008

All clear, ready for site prep...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/91354318/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/91354320/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/91354323/large.jpg

CoolCzech
Jan 9, 2008, 1:29 AM

...is ugly.

:shrug:

Stick a pair of oversized antennas on top, and you've got Chicago's Hancock tower...

But I don't see how this can be reconciled with the (admittedly far more attractive) rendering:

http://i19.tinypic.com/4md2irm.jpg

NYguy
Jan 9, 2008, 2:53 PM
:shrug:

But I don't see how this can be reconciled with the (admittedly far more attractive) rendering:

http://i19.tinypic.com/4md2irm.jpg

This may help you...

http://i11.tinypic.com/681ws9j.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/89338269/medium.jpg

NYguy
Jan 25, 2008, 6:24 AM
From this aerial of the west side by hammernet (http://flickr.com/photos/hammernet/), you can see where the digging was done for the site of the Girasole...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2053/1881306036_11e2805887_b.jpg

sammysonny1
Jan 28, 2008, 1:26 AM
This building isnt architechture

Dac150
Jan 28, 2008, 1:35 AM

That makes no sense. Re-evaluate your thinking on that sentence and try again.

gttx
Jan 28, 2008, 2:12 AM

The erudite eloquence of your opinion is matched only with the unabashed candor with which it is presented. How did you become such an exemplar of rational thinking?

NYguy
Jan 28, 2008, 1:14 PM
LOL, it's as much architecture as anything else.

http://curbed.com/uploads/2007_10_girasole2.jpg
curbed.com

CoolCzech
Jan 28, 2008, 1:33 PM
Question: the site has been cleared, yet no sign of impending construction. Is that typical of development in Manhattan? Are there any holdups for this project from a government/community board/zoning point of view?

Antares41
Jan 28, 2008, 3:08 PM
LOL, it's as much architecture as anything else.

http://curbed.com/uploads/2007_10_girasole2.jpg
curbed.com

Is this building twisted or not. I've illustrated it with a slight twist, but in some of the recent model it appears to be straight. Also the recent addition to the NYC diagram the illustrator drew it as straight-wall. So I'm a bit confused. Are my eyes deceiving me!

Swede
Jan 28, 2008, 5:01 PM
Looking closer at thse rendering, I see it as being twised basically the same way as the proposed Waldorf=Astoria in Chicago but to a lesser degree. And with the obtuse corners cut off. Making sense?

Buck
Jan 28, 2008, 5:07 PM
This thing is going to look magnificent in person. I imagine the combination of that glass and it's curve is going to make for a very striking presence.

Dac150
Jan 28, 2008, 8:01 PM
Question: the site has been cleared, yet no sign of impending construction. Is that typical of development in Manhattan? Are there any holdups for this project from a government/community board/zoning point of view?

Usually they have the plywood fence with flyers on it of a million different things (un-related to the project), and then a board with the construction company name, the developer, the bank investing in the project, the contractor, and a render of the building. Look at the 11 Times Sq. site as an example of a typical scene.

NYguy
Jan 29, 2008, 3:05 PM

There is no hold up, its all depending on the developer, who in turn will probably wait for demolition of the block south, and areas to the east. The red apartment building directly next door (also owned by Sherwood) is supposed to be vacated, if not already, soon. The site that was cleared was just for the footprint of the tower (at least as it stands now).

NYguy
Jan 29, 2008, 3:11 PM
You can see a little of the twist in these photos...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/89338269/large.jpg

I think the stacking diagram was done with this in mind...

Down_Under_the_El
Jan 29, 2008, 6:56 PM
It seems like that diagram was made for the view from the southwest/northeast.. both the southwest and northeast corners are straight and the adjacent corners are slightly curved.

I like that this building is hard to figure out.. it gives it a neat dynamic.

NYguy
Jan 30, 2008, 12:53 AM
It seems like that diagram was made for the view from the southwest/northeast.. both the southwest and northeast corners are straight and the adjacent corners are slightly curved.

I like that this building is hard to figure out.. it gives it a neat dynamic.

The more I think about it, its similar to the Freedom Tower in that way. The profile will depend on the angle of your view.

Echo Park
Feb 10, 2008, 6:32 AM
That curvature is too subtle to make it look like an eccentric design, but its subtle enough to make the viewer think something is off. Vexing IMO.

NYguy
Feb 11, 2008, 10:38 PM
One thing is certain about this tower, it will add to the mindblowing development taking place on the west side of Manhattan...

Dac150
Feb 11, 2008, 11:06 PM
That it will. And this is yet another example of a tall building that will gather little attention, where as in other cities would be the focal point.

aluminum
Mar 8, 2008, 5:42 PM
Sorry I don know much about current developments in NYC, but what is that tall building with two spires on the left side behind all other buildings in the last picture ?

Fabb
Mar 9, 2008, 4:45 AM
Sorry I don know much about current developments in NYC, but what is that tall building with two spires on the left side behind all other buildings in the last picture ?

It's one of the proposals for the Hudson Yards development.

http://www.pbase.com/image/89193181.jpg

Lecom
Mar 9, 2008, 10:07 PM
Can't wait for this pioneer to rise, since a tower of its size will give less credibility to nimbies to bitch about the "anti-urban" character of this "Hong Kong on the Hudson"

Lecom
Mar 9, 2008, 10:11 PM
Nice to see an architecture school snob on here. Thanks for giving architects in general a bad name, making people think that anyone who received an education in architecture is as much of a stuck-up elitist as you are.

NYC2ATX
Mar 10, 2008, 10:25 AM
Can't wait for this pioneer to rise, since a tower of its size will give less credibility to nimbies to bitch about the "anti-urban" character of this "Hong Kong on the Hudson"

....ich, not loving the "Hong Kong on the Hudson" label, but I get your drift. This is an outstanding way to get the ball rolling down there. :tup:

NYguy
Mar 10, 2008, 12:28 PM
....ich, not loving the "Hong Kong on the Hudson" label, but I get your drift.

Yeah, its a reference to the west side NIMBYs who are horrified that there could be tall buildings built over the railyards.

NYC2ATX
Mar 11, 2008, 2:11 AM
Yeah, its a reference to the west side NIMBYs who are horrified that there could be tall buildings built over the railyards.

Ha that's funny too, it even scared me a little. But I think that's more because I hate to hear people compare New York with anywhere else. :D

NYguy
Mar 11, 2008, 1:14 PM
I hate to hear people compare New York with anywhere else. :D

I do to, but its inevitable and ironic at the same time. It's usually everyone everywhere else who don't want to be "Manhattanized". Yet, these idiot NIMBYs - in Manhattan no less - don't want to be "Hong Konged". New York is the original city of tall skyscrapers, and these people act as if they've never seen a skyscraper or skyscraper shadow.

NYguy
Mar 26, 2008, 4:26 PM
This is of importance here...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03242008/news/regionalnews/citys_yards_work_103244.htm

CITY'S YARDS-WORK
PLAN FOR NEW PARK REVEALED

By TOM TOPOUSIS
March 24, 2008

The city's long-sought plan to transform the Far West Side into a new commercial and residential district takes a step forward today, with the launch of a search for firms interested in designing a park and boulevard at the heart of the project.

The boulevard and park will run north-south between 10th and 11th avenues, eventually stretching from 33rd Street to 39th Street.

A master plan calls for an estimated 24 million square feet of new office space - more than double what's being planned at the World Trade Center - to be built in the district by 2032.

The first phase, from 33rd to 36th Street is expected to be complete in 2012. The city has acquired all of the buildings in that three-block section of the boulevard's path.

Plans call for a 30-foot-wide, tree-lined boulevard and a four-acre park.

This is the boulevard that will separate the Girasole from the tower being built by Sherwood Equities.

antinimby
Mar 26, 2008, 6:30 PM
I thought I should fill you guys in on what's really happening with the Girasole. Here's what scumonkey (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=222016&postcount=73) over at WNY said:

My Bad.....
i went by the site today and saw a lot of construction.
There was a foreman there that was nice enough to stop
what he was doing and answer some of my questions.
All the work that is presently going on at this site is completely
unrelated to the Girasole.
What looked to be the start of its foundation is actually the
station stop for the new # 7 line.
He also told me that if there still was going to be a building
located here, they couldn't start on it for at least 5 more years.
That's how long they expected it would take for them to finish
this part of the subway extension.

on another note....
The entire little park just across the street to the north, is now
completely barricaded around it's perimeter ready to be dug up.

NYguy
Mar 26, 2008, 9:17 PM
i went by the site today and saw a lot of construction.
There was a foreman there that was nice enough to stop
what he was doing and answer some of my questions.
All the work that is presently going on at this site is completely
unrelated to the Girasole.
What looked to be the start of its foundation is actually the
station stop for the new # 7 line.
He also told me that if there still was going to be a building
located here, they couldn't start on it for at least 5 more years.
That's how long they expected it would take for them to finish
this part of the subway extension.

That makes sense, though he seems to be completely in the dark about the Girasole. The subway line is supposed to be completed by then, but I don't know how they came up with that 2011 completion date for the tower.

New York, NY
Client: The Moinian Group
Completion: 2011

Situated in the heart of Manhattans newest neighborhood, the dynamic Hudson Yards District, 3 Hudson Boulevard, "The GiraSole" will be a gateway for the West Side and an icon of green architecture for the 21st Century. From its sky gardens to the reaches of the new Hudson Boulevard Park, this new 1.6 million square foot tower will be surrounded by green. Soaring to a height of over a thousand feet, it will offer unparalleled views south and west over Hudson River Parkhttp://fxfowle.com/

antinimby
Mar 26, 2008, 9:20 PM
Those projected completion dates are never correct.

NYguy
Mar 27, 2008, 12:20 PM
Those projected completion dates are never correct.

I don't think the Girasole has even been finalized yet. But its in the same position as the Extell tower just to the south:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/ny...=1&oref=slogin

Manhattan: Agreement on West Side Medical Tower

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
August 1, 2007

The developers — Gary Barnett, the chief executive of the Extell Development Corporation, and Israel Green — said they planned to begin construction in early 2009. The tower would rise at 11th Avenue and 34th Street, on a site that is now home to the Copacabana nightclub.

Mr. Green has spent five years developing the concept and pursuing a Manhattan location. He said it was an opportunity for New York City to become the principal center for the $260 billion global market for medical devices and diagnostics. The project may have to wait until the city completes part of an extension of the No. 7 subway line, which passes beneath the site.

The Extell tower is supposed to begin in 2009, with completion by 2012.

NYguy
Apr 21, 2008, 10:29 PM
APRIL 19, 2008

Work on that 7 line is progressing further than anyone thinks. Both sites (north and south) of
34th Street have been cleared and work appears to be moving rapidly.

The Girasole will sit above the northern end...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/95933641/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/95933672/large.jpg

choyak1
May 13, 2008, 2:42 AM
I do to, but its inevitable and ironic at the same time. It's usually everyone everywhere else who don't want to be "Manhattanized". Yet, these idiot NIMBYs - in Manhattan no less - don't want to be "Hong Konged". New York is the original city of tall skyscrapers, and these people act as if they've never seen a skyscraper or skyscraper shadow.

NIMBYS OUT OF MANHATTAN! WTH are nimbys even doing in MANHATTAN. There are many many places for you nimbys.....North Dakota, Nebraska, Montana, etc. GET OUT OF MANHATTAN, and let the TOWERS RISE!!!!

The 'notch' at the top of GiraSole looks awesome! It would be cool to have at the bottom of the notch a park where people could stroll!

Swede
May 13, 2008, 9:37 AM
^Looks to like in one of the renderings the bottom of one of the notches is a pool. IMO better than a park, but there might be a park at the other notch.

NYguy
May 13, 2008, 9:05 PM
Imagine the parties up there...

http://i3.tinypic.com/6gxj9s6.jpg

America 117
May 14, 2008, 6:52 PM
The more i look at the girasole the more i love it :yes:
its a really nice tower:tup:
i smell a new icon!:banana:

and the parties would be awsome:previous:

May 14, 2008, 8:31 PM
It is very nice.

CoolCzech
May 31, 2008, 2:44 PM
"From its sky gardens to the reaches of the new Hudson Boulevard Park, this new 1.6 million square foot tower will be surrounded by green."

Heh... that reads like the description of Libeskind's Gardens of the World concept for the FT...

So what are the odds of this tower actually getting built? Are things strictly in proposal stage at this point, or does anyone know if things have gone further: financing secured, site prep, anything concrete at all?

Dac150
May 31, 2008, 2:48 PM
So what are the odds of this tower actually getting built? Are things strictly in proposal stage at this point, or does anyone know if things have gone further: financing secured, site prep, anything concrete at all?

From what I understand that chances seem good. There has been site prep work to the extent of closing off the plot, as shown a few posts above. I haven't been around that way in a while, so perhaps NYguy can clarify that better.

Lecom
Jun 1, 2008, 1:04 AM
Imagine the parties up there...

http://i3.tinypic.com/6gxj9s6.jpg

I think that in the end it will turn out to be just mechanical space on top. it's probably just a publicity teaser, just like it turned out to be with NYTT's rooftop garden.

America 117
Jun 1, 2008, 2:37 AM
the girasole kinda looks like the bottom of the sears tower

NYguy
Jun 4, 2008, 12:10 AM
From what I understand that chances seem good. There has been site prep work to the extent of closing off the plot, as shown a few posts above. I haven't been around that way in a while, so perhaps NYguy can clarify that better.

It's advanced to the point where we've seen it presented in other archiectural models, but designs always change. As far as getting built, it's one of the so called "four corners" towers, so the developer will certainly max out on what is allowed to be built there, whatever form it takes.

NYguy
Jun 5, 2008, 3:24 AM
Meanwhile, it's nice to see that Moinian is at least joining the discussion on the west side...

http://afinecompany.blogspot.com/2008/06/7-train-and-421-must-have-for-west-side.html
7 Train And 421-a Must Haves For West Side Development, Developers Agree

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

At today's NY Times "Vu 2008" forum on West Side development, panel members Joseph Moinian (Moinian Group), Larry Silverstein, and Ric Clark (Brookfield Properties) were all extremely bullish on the long term prospects for the far West Side, while speaking in near unison over concerns for the need for a 7 train extension (including a 41st St, station) and reinstatement of something identical or very similar to the soon to be expired 421-a program.
Silverstein said flatly that the 7 train extension is critical, otherwise development "isn't going to happen". Moinian, meanwhile alternated from the assuring statement that the developers "will have" the 7, to a more pleading statement that the train is a "must have".

Many comparisons were drawn to the eventual success of Canary Wharf in London. Silverstein aptly pointed out that the the first two developers failed and that the success only came after the availability of mass transit.
In regards to the June 30th expiration of 421-a benefits, everyone agreed that the state has gone too far and that a reinstatement of something very similar or identical is needed to spur development while providing affordable housing.

Moinian saw the expiration as a "major concern", while Silverstein noted that 'affordable housing would be impossible without the 421-a. Steven Spinola, President of REBNY, saw the expiration as "frightening". While the terminology used was fairly dramatic, the vibe from the participants was that the state would figure this out, make adjustments, and eventually the problem will blow over.

The only area of any substantive disagreement was of the impact of the credit crisis. Silverstein sees a ground shift and a much more conservative approach on the part of banks. Clark saw this as a much more short term issue, he said 'a financial crisis seems to crop up every 10 years or so, and 5 years later they seem to forget about it'. Moinian pointed out that when institutions jump back in, New York is the #1 place that institutions will invest.

It was somewhat remarkable that 3 diverse developers could have such a broad consensus. Now if we could only see the same on the part of Bloomberg, Schumer, and Dolan, we'd be all set.

Lecom
Aug 5, 2008, 8:31 PM
According to the posted section the building has 67 floors. We'll keep that figure till something more reliable comes up.

my floor count; each dot = 1 floor, line = 5 fl, double line = 10 fl

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2567/girasolefloorcountwj3.jpg
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2567/girasolefloorcountwj3.jpg

NYC4Life
Aug 5, 2008, 10:35 PM
What is the update on this one? It's been practically unheard of for months.