Patrick
Jul 22, 2008, 4:42 AM
Next Page!

Austin55
Jul 22, 2008, 5:03 AM
it would really suck if we had to delete this

Patrick
Jul 22, 2008, 5:05 AM
The cyclone is wooden, and for the name how bout twister?

Sounds good! I wanted the coaster to say STAUNTON or HAMILTON but I think TWISTER would make more sence.

I do have a question though: Do you plan on adding any project housing?

Downtown Staunton is by no means a dump, its luxurious, fileld with rich vain people and celeberties and business men and women. Downtown is not where you would find slums, just homeless people.

I miss the large park, but it's still awesome looking!

You buildings are so great and detailed - well done mate, it's my favorite SU city and have been for as long as I remember! :)

Eh, I don't, It was just too much of a copy of NYC's Battery Park, and thanks! :yes:

So, where in Jersey is Staunton?

Speaking of,can we have a photoshop of Staunton W/ NY? thed both be visible right? if you can,preferbly pre 2000,or post 2013 would be cool to.

I believe he had a map a while ago and it was in northern Jersey, sort of below Staten Island.

So originally Staunton was New York's "Twin City" BUT over time I grew away from that. Staunton, has a much more warmer climate than NYC. So I was thinking of putting Staunton on the southern tip of New Jersey, near Delaware. The idea of New York City and Staunton's City Halls being only 40 miles away from each other seems a little silly? But thats just me, what do you guys think?

Now that Downtown Staunton has almost reached its end, of the district, I'd like to show how far I've come from the past version of Staunton! So All I need is THE PIER, Justice Avenue Seaport, Westly Avenue additions, JFK Avenue, then JEFFERSON at last! :yes:

Press F11 to widen the screen to see both pictures at once.

Looking North

http://i33.tinypic.com/2cfbali.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/1h9thu.jpg

Looking West

http://i38.tinypic.com/i3ih3o.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/67kr5w.jpg

Looking South

http://i33.tinypic.com/52kztt.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/2enoi0o.jpg

Patrick
Jul 22, 2008, 5:05 AM
it would really suck if we had to delete this

delete what?

Austin55
Jul 22, 2008, 5:13 AM
delete what?

this thread, the old 2000 post thing.

Damn that immpressive, I actually like both equally.

Patrick
Jul 22, 2008, 5:18 AM
this thread, the old 2000 post thing.

OH NO. I dont want all of Staunton's history to be misplaced! I mean it wont be deleted, it will be in the thread archive, but STILL :(

Austin55
Jul 22, 2008, 5:25 AM
OH NO. I dont want all of Staunton's history to be misplaced! I mean it wont be deleted, it will be in the thread archive, but STILL :(
I don't think it's that it's a physical reason, threads can pretty much go foreevr. I bet they could make an exception. Aleks might know

Some threads in the archive are unlocked to. The poor threads.

drew11
Jul 22, 2008, 5:29 AM
Didn't the moderators raise the post limit to 10,000 post's a thread? :shrug:

FlyersFan118
Jul 22, 2008, 6:24 AM
Didn't the moderators raise the post limit to 10,000 post's a thread? :shrug:

yeah.

and patrick, have you ever been to south jersey? a city like staunton would NEVER fly down there. the tip of jersey is cape may, where the tallest thing is a 100 ft lighthouse, there's no boardwalk, and there's too many old people. the main tourist attraction is this stupid half sunken boat. it's the most boring place in the world. a city like staunton could just never happen in south jersey, ever. the biggest thing down there is atlantic city. there's other little beach cities like Ocean City and Wildwood. Staunton would be so out of place. plus, it'd be too close to Philadelphia, as well as Wilmington.

Austin55
Jul 22, 2008, 6:35 AM
Atleast they have tourist attractions.

Oh, but rural places don't need that stuff. This is getting so offtopic. now.

Wrightguy0
Jul 22, 2008, 11:48 AM
I always pictured Staunton in monmouth county, there's a nice little penninsula there that faces east

Wrightguy0
Jul 22, 2008, 11:54 AM
Delete

Dac150
Jul 22, 2008, 2:07 PM
I know it means nothing, but I actually prefer the other version when you put the two together. I really suggest you put that park back in place. When you compare the 'Looking West' shot the former version looks more inviting and more practical. The current version is much more cold and I'm not that crazy about how the buildings flow. Honestly, I think you really had something with the former version. I know you didn't want to 'copy' off other cities, but honestly you can hardly see anything of that, if at all.

Oh well, what's done is done. Anyway, as far as location goes, I lived in Jersey for 10 years of my life, and after hearing flyersfan, I have to agree with him. Sure you have some industry and urban areas near Hoboken, Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, etc., however what he's saying is dead on. Normally, being that this is all fake, I wouldn't consider it a big deal but being the fact that you thrive on making Staunton realistic you might want to consider changing locations. Not saying you have to leave Jersey, butspace is tight for a city like that to flow and be realistic.

Just giving you some straight foward advice. I feel it's better for your city than for me just to say 'good job' and add a thumbs up smiley. Point is, don't take it the wrong way.

FlyersFan118
Jul 22, 2008, 8:08 PM
I know it means nothing, but I actually prefer the other version when you put the two together. I really suggest you put that park back in place. When you compare the 'Looking West' shot the former version looks more inviting and more practical. The current version is much more cold and I'm not that crazy about how the buildings flow. Honestly, I think you really had something with the former version. I know you didn't want to 'copy' off other cities, but honestly you can hardly see anything of that, if at all.

Oh well, what's done is done. Anyway, as far as location goes, I lived in Jersey for 10 years of my life, and after hearing flyersfan, I have to agree with him. Sure you have some industry and urban areas near Hoboken, Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, etc., however what he's saying is dead on. Normally, being that this is all fake, I wouldn't consider it a big deal but being the fact that you thrive on making Staunton realistic you might want to consider changing locations. Not saying you have to leave Jersey, butspace is tight for a city like that to flow and be realistic.

Just giving you some straight foward advice. I feel it's better for your city than for me just to say 'good job' and add a thumbs up smiley. Point is, don't take it the wrong way.

I kinda miss the park too. Like, with it being all industrial and having no park there, it just looks kinda dull.

And I think the spot where you had it up in North Jersey was much better; I'm not sure a city like Staunton could thrive that close to New York City, but I know for a fact it would never exist down where Cape May is.

Dac, you lived in Jersey for ten years? If I lived in Jersey for one year I'd probably end my life. :haha:

Wrightguy0
Jul 22, 2008, 8:28 PM
Sounds good! I wanted the coaster to say STAUNTON or HAMILTON but I think TWISTER would make more sence.

The idea of New York City and Staunton's City Halls being only 40 miles away from each other seems a little silly? But thats just me, what do you guys think?

I am the name guru

Actually having two large cities that close together isn't so far fetched

Look at how close together Baltimore and D.C. are, or Miami and Ft. Lauderdale

Dac150
Jul 22, 2008, 10:45 PM
Dac, you lived in Jersey for ten years? If I lived in Jersey for one year I'd probably end my life. :haha:

Yeah, I spent the first ten years of my life in good old Jersey. It's really not the 'hell-hole' people make it out to be. Even though I was young, I always enjoyed my time there. It's one big suburban society though. Rows and rows of homes with the supermarket. You have to like it I guess, but overall not a bad place to raise a family and call home.:tup:

Patrick
Jul 23, 2008, 9:28 AM
and patrick, have you ever been to south jersey? a city like staunton would NEVER fly down there. the tip of jersey is cape may, where the tallest thing is a 100 ft lighthouse, there's no boardwalk, and there's too many old people. the main tourist attraction is this stupid half sunken boat. it's the most boring place in the world. a city like staunton could just never happen in south jersey, ever. the biggest thing down there is atlantic city. there's other little beach cities like Ocean City and Wildwood. Staunton would be so out of place. plus, it'd be too close to Philadelphia, as well as Wilmington.

I always pictured Staunton in monmouth county, there's a nice little penninsula there that faces east

And I think the spot where you had it up in North Jersey was much better; I'm not sure a city like Staunton could thrive that close to New York City, but I know for a fact it would never exist down where Cape May is.

Okay, I'm convinced, Staunton will stay in Monmouth County, if you look at the terrain its very simular to Stauntons, 3 peninsulas, Jefferson, Staunton (I think I should keep it a penisula, not island?), and New Ganton.

Well I'm surprised, but I completely understand. I love comments like that, especially your's Dac. Old Staunton did have a much more dramatic skyline, but the scale was WAYY off, Galcorp and Garden State, which where too thin, still dwarfed everything around them. This effect obviously gave Staunton a much more clustered and dramatic skyline, but I'm looking for realism, some buildings where placed just in place for the skyline, totally defying the grid.

I kinda miss the park too. Like, with it being all industrial and having no park there, it just looks kinda dull.

I hated that park (never had an official name, um, Cannery Park, Monmouth Park, Callahan Park, blah), I'm just so glad its gone, it never satisfied me, I redesigned the area several times, each better than the last time but still sucked. finally I got rid of that silly park replaced it with the Garden State Federal Center, home to government and immigration offices, the Ferry Terminal, Boardwalk & Pier, and Fort Hamilton. IMO was a better trade.

Getting closer to Jefferson, Downtown Staunton will soon be "Complete" Westly Avenue finally landscaped, it was just a barren stretch of pavement until now!

http://i37.tinypic.com/2aj87mc.jpg

Wrightguy0
Jul 23, 2008, 11:35 AM
Westly Ave. is looking really good patrick, love the trees and the pedestrian bridges

Dac150
Jul 23, 2008, 1:35 PM
Well regardless the city still looks fantastic. I look foward to seeing what you make of Midtown. If you're not looking to make 'Midtown' into a 'large' business distirct like Downtown, I would say take the Century City approach.

Do you still plan on bringing back Staunton Square? If you do, to keep things realistic, you shouldn't go too crazy with it. Just a few buildings with the standard 'Times Square' theme. You should try to keep it simple.

J.M.
Jul 23, 2008, 6:48 PM
How about something shiney and tall along the water like the Freedom Tower just better.

FlyersFan118
Jul 23, 2008, 8:52 PM
i think he's keeping the galcorp building as the tallest.

Dac150
Jul 23, 2008, 11:09 PM
Do you plan on making an airport of some sorts? Just throwing it out there. I think an airport with those planes from the 3-D warehouse with a view of the city would look pretty cool.

treras93
Jul 23, 2008, 11:18 PM
Wow! westly ave looks sweet!:worship: :worship: very nice. nice pedestrian bridges too.

:tup: :tup:

Patrick
Jul 24, 2008, 8:51 AM
How about something shiney and tall along the water like the Freedom Tower just better.

But that would throw off the skyline, I guess it would be cool, but in Staunton, Galcorp will always be the tallest.

Well regardless the city still looks fantastic. I look foward to seeing what you make of Midtown. If you're not looking to make 'Midtown' into a 'large' business distirct like Downtown, I would say take the Century City approach.

Do you still plan on bringing back Staunton Square? If you do, to keep things realistic, you shouldn't go too crazy with it. Just a few buildings with the standard 'Times Square' theme. You should try to keep it simple.

Midtown would be a modest sized business district, divided into two parts, Staunton Square, and Midtown Staunton. Midtown, as I always envisioned would have three main skyscrapers, all 500 - 700 feet tall, all built in the 1920's - 1930's. The tallest would have a large sign cascading on the front, the building itself, modeled off of the Essex House in NYC, it will be the 5th tallest in Staunton, 1st outside Downtown. Another with a radio tower, the other just an art deco tower.

McFarland Center, Staunton's equivelant to the Rockafeller Center was removed outta Downtown a few months ago, and has been in "storage", the four towers will be in Midtown, surrounded by several 1960's and 1970's boxes. United American Avenue would end in Midtown, the tallest building in Midtown will terminate the avenue, with a Chicago Board of Trade simularity.

Staunton Square, I've been thinking of making it new this time, maybe with a grid? Instead of Two interscting streets, I'm not sure, all the Staunton Square classics will be back. Plus, some of Staunton's very first buildings, they have not gone completly, I have a file, where buildings sit in "Storage" waiting for them to be revived. :banana:

Do you plan on making an airport of some sorts? Just throwing it out there. I think an airport with those planes from the 3-D warehouse with a view of the city would look pretty cool.

Of Course, but thats months, maybe a year away, Richard O' Donnelly Airport will be located in Jefferson, the terminal will face Downtown Staunton, and the Jefferson Business District, the back will face New York Bay, on clear days you could see NYC clearly.

WELL

Another step closer to Jefferson, the completion of the North River Seaport.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/9069/000000001mq8.jpg

:banana:

Wrightguy0
Jul 24, 2008, 11:30 AM
I can't recall what the mcfarland center looked like.

Do you also have the old jersey post building in storage?

malec
Jul 24, 2008, 11:42 AM
Patrick just wondering. Have you tried the Sqirlz water reflections program? It's great and really easy to use.
http://www.xiberpix.net/SqirlzReflect.html

By the way, you're a master at texturing.

Aleks
Jul 24, 2008, 11:17 PM
Why don't you make something with a lower roof height that Galcorp but with a tall spire like the Freedom tower (like Dac said). That way Galcorp looses it's rule of tallest building but the roof height is taller than the one of the new building.:shrug:

Austin55
Jul 24, 2008, 11:30 PM
guys calm down, it's his city and he's making it the way he wants, and he'd said it dozens of times thatgalcorps the tallest.

FlyersFan118
Jul 25, 2008, 1:16 PM
Patrick just wondering. Have you tried the Sqirlz water reflections program? It's great and really easy to use.

Is it easier and quicker than kerk?

Why don't you make something with a lower roof height that Galcorp but with a tall spire like the Freedom tower (like Dac said). That way Galcorp looses it's rule of tallest building but the roof height is taller than the one of the new building.:shrug:

I just don't see it in Staunton. Staunton has a more gritty feel than New York, and while Staunton is based on New York, Patrick's been going out of his way to make sure this isn't a copy of New York. I don't see it. I don't think it fits with what he's trying to do with Staunton.

I really don't think it fits with New York, either, for that matter.

Aleks
Jul 25, 2008, 9:57 PM
I don't think it looks like New York that much either, it was just a suggestion to add a tall tower with spire so Galcorp doesn't loose the title. And it doesn't have to look like the Freedom Tower, it was an example. Anyways, a modern building like the Guggenheim Bilbao or Rainier tower would look nice. Well, imo.

Austin55
Jul 26, 2008, 4:24 AM
modern glassy tower would look great,at the 300-500 Foot range. like so maybe http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=123032

Patrick
Jul 26, 2008, 4:34 AM
I can't recall what the mcfarland center looked like.

Do you also have the old jersey post building in storage?

I do not, I never was a fan of it, there is now a new New Jersey Post Building, next door to the Garden State Building, modeled off of the Daily News Building.

McFarland Center, once in the middle of Downtown, now replaced with various skyscrapers.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2zsa6x0.jpg

Other “SAVED” Staunton creations, remember theres still several other buildings that have been saved from previous Staunton creations.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2cxf7sj.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/jhrmlh.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/35ldlb8.jpg

I have not, what specifically dose it do? I tend to stay away from those rendering programs, after experiencing EVIL kerkythea.

guys calm down, it's his city and he's making it the way he wants, and he'd said it dozens of times thatgalcorps the tallest.

I just don't see it in Staunton. Staunton has a more gritty feel than New York, and while Staunton is based on New York, Patrick's been going out of his way to make sure this isn't a copy of New York. I don't see it. I don't think it fits with what he's trying to do with Staunton.

I really don't think it fits with New York, either, for that matter.

I don't think it looks like New York that much either, it was just a suggestion to add a tall tower with spire so Galcorp doesn't loose the title. And it doesn't have to look like the Freedom Tower, it was an example. Anyways, a modern building like the Guggenheim Bilbao or Rainier tower would look nice. Well, imo.

Basically what FlyersFan118 said, perfectly, Staunton is based on 90's New York City, it will never see all this new wave or "organic" architecture, only modern and below. I still dont know what year Staunton is set it, notice a few pages back, one of the newest buildings I added was built in 2006.

But Galcorp will always be Stauntons tallest building. Even when I complete Staunton, Galcorp will still be the tallest, thats how it was intended. Staunton wont age, but sit still in time, cause thats how it was designed as, 1990's New York.

BESIDES, Galcorp makes a good tallest, eh?

http://i35.tinypic.com/2r73w9v.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/11h6qma.jpg

J.M.
Jul 28, 2008, 2:17 AM
Im still for having a taller tower than the GALcorp Building, something that will remain tallest and something that stands out. But I know it wont happen now

treras93
Jul 28, 2008, 2:22 AM
i think he's made his decision :previous:

BTW Patrick those are some sweet shots of Galcorp! and i for one think it should stay the tallest!:yes:

J.M.
Jul 28, 2008, 2:24 AM
well GALcorp building is ok but its just well... ugly in my opinion.

[SP]Neo
Jul 29, 2008, 1:30 PM
it's not ugly it's a boxy New York skyscraper^^ a new tallest would be cool but i like the idea of Staunton as 1990s New York City.

drew11
Jul 29, 2008, 7:36 PM
Great city, I think that the Galcorp tower should stay the tallest.

Patrick
Aug 1, 2008, 9:29 AM
well GALcorp building is ok but its just well... ugly in my opinion.

Neo;3700938']it's not ugly it's a boxy New York skyscraper^^ a new tallest would be cool but i like the idea of Staunton as 1990s New York City.

Now your getting it, this is Staunton, people you've got to lower your standerds, this is Staunton, you know what I mean? The Galcorp Plaza is supposed to be ugly and bulky, thats the point. Hm, Ironically Galcorp itself has a nice clean successful record. :yes:

Old school classics! Somethings on the way!

http://i35.tinypic.com/f02hrq.jpg

Mocholate
Aug 1, 2008, 10:25 AM
You tell em Patrick ! It's your smexy beast.:cool:

Wrightguy0
Aug 1, 2008, 12:11 PM
I have no clue what it could be ;)

Patrick
Aug 3, 2008, 4:47 AM
Woo!

I'm having alot of fun with Jefferson, in a nutshell, Jefferson will look different compared to original Jefferson, many more skyscrapers, Jefferson will be a much more prominent Financial District, instead of a rundown area with a few skyscrapers here and there.

http://i36.tinypic.com/311xlrd.jpg

Mocholate
Aug 3, 2008, 5:24 AM
The new McFarland Center is awesome ! Didn't load first time.:hell:

Will you be able to get all this into one skyline shot eventually?

treras93
Aug 3, 2008, 7:23 AM
From the looks of that pic the new Jefferson is going to be sweeeeet:yes:
cant wait!

verticalextropy
Aug 3, 2008, 9:13 AM
patrick, again you make the best citiscapes. dang' I'd love to play a racing game in Staunton!

CGII
Aug 3, 2008, 5:06 PM
I'm having alot of fun with Jefferson, in a nutshell, Jefferson will look different compared to original Jefferson, many more skyscrapers, Jefferson will be a much more prominent Financial District, instead of a rundown area with a few skyscrapers here and there.

So in other words, you're changing the basis of Jefferson from Newark to Brooklyn? :P

Mocholate
Aug 4, 2008, 9:59 AM
patrick, again you make the best citiscapes. dang' I'd love to play a racing game in Staunton!

I hear it can be done , I didn't mention easily though :slob: N yeah it would kick ass !

verticalextropy
Aug 5, 2008, 12:02 AM
I hear it can be done , I didn't mention easily though :slob: N yeah it would kick ass !

A company should market it, a game that doesnt release the anycode but just lets you import a SU city, and gives you a plugin to design race tracks within your avenues and highways. :cool:

FlyersFan118
Aug 8, 2008, 1:44 PM
So in other words, you're changing the basis of Jefferson from Newark to Brooklyn? :P

haha I was gonna say the same thing.

Brooklyn's a better basis anyway. Newark sucks at life, period. When I rule the world, Newark's gettin' nuked. :haha:

Austin55
Aug 11, 2008, 1:11 AM
I think Im gonna try a driving simulator now,after hearing all this. Ill make a vid and upload it.

Het Pat,How come you dont use your textures from your 3d warehouse buildings? or do you?

Aleks
Aug 27, 2008, 2:18 AM
Ten days without update?What's happening to the world?

Patrick
Aug 29, 2008, 3:48 AM
Yeah I havent worked on Staunton in a long time, hah wierd huh? Sophmore year is so neat and I'm always busy or out that theres simply no time for Staunton lately! :shrug: Staunton isnt dead or anything, maybe just on an extended vacation. :yes:

Patrick
Sep 22, 2008, 6:16 AM
While i've started on Jefferson a while back, lately i've been adjusting Downtown Staunton. I'm sure i'll be back to updateing frequently in a month or so. Sophmore year is so much more than Freshmen in all catigories, i'm so busy now, dedicating much more time to my school work and friends. Overall its been great, but busy, so not much time for Staunton.

I know we've all seen this angle before, but its one of my favorites, and shows some of the new highrises I added in. I'm working on Callahan Village, improving it with a few more highrises instead of a dead drop of skyscrapers from Downtown to Callahan Village.

http://i34.tinypic.com/23gziio.jpg

Austin55
Sep 22, 2008, 11:18 AM
Ahh, verysweet you can never go wrong with Staunton, can't wait for Jefferson.

Wrightguy0
Sep 22, 2008, 4:34 PM
Could it be? An update? It's awesome

Patrick
Sep 23, 2008, 6:06 AM
Can this be? Another update!

I know you guys are getting tired of seeing the same skies over Staunton, I promise i'll find some new skies soon enough. I know you guys also wanted some urban shots instead of skylines, so here are some!

A few blocks north of Callahan Square, the Staunton Futures Exchange is right down there where 7th Street makes a left, next to it is the glass annex where the trading floor is, behind is the art-deco icon that is the Stock Exchange Tower (not the actual exchange) To the right of all this are some new B-class office buildings.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2ptsdbn.jpg

Wouldnt this be a nice view! From a loft somewhere in the Village, looking at the ever so prominent Kent Enterprise Tower. At night the Kent Tower is heavily floodlit like the GE Building in NYC.

http://i36.tinypic.com/15xafs8.jpg

Looking down 7th from the Boxy section of Downtown, we see a portion of the Staunton Futures Exchange, the colossal Lloyd Tower, and City Hall.

http://i38.tinypic.com/1zwnc0l.jpg

:yes:

Austin55
Sep 23, 2008, 8:03 PM
>>>>>&%*#^(@$@osemicolon(#$

verticalextropy
Sep 25, 2008, 4:09 AM
proceed to the riverfront right to pier 13. release land reclamation rights!!!

Patrick
Sep 28, 2008, 7:35 AM
This fourm really is dead! :haha:

Jefferson looking all dramatic, don't worry there will be more skyscrapers in the future, these are only the first 2-3 bocks inland.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2wrnujc.jpg

A year or so ago.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6176/000001gp6.jpg

Austin55
Sep 28, 2008, 7:40 AM
ooooh:) a few textures things you néed to wôrk ön-especìlÿ thæt tąll àrt dèćo oné.

Patrick
Sep 28, 2008, 7:44 AM
Yeah the Art Deco tower, or the Richmond Tower (any other name suggestions?) is a tough one, I havent touched it at all yet, it might get new textures, or i'll fix the current ones, but thats for another day! Other than that I dont see any other buildings that need texture work! :shrug:

Wrightguy0
Oct 4, 2008, 11:16 AM
For the most part the textures are good, It's been a while since we've been graced by the presence of your magnificent bridges.

Austin55
Oct 4, 2008, 4:13 PM
Richmond is agreat name ,you just need to add something like Richmond and Ass. Tower.

FlyersFan118
Oct 6, 2008, 2:19 AM
Richmond is agreat name ,you just need to add something like Richmond and Ass. Tower.

Ass Tower. I like it. :haha:

ertiikus
Oct 7, 2008, 2:38 AM
Awesome city! Can you do another map?

Aleks
Oct 10, 2008, 9:13 PM
The city looks great but for some reason I like the old Jefferson more than the new one.

Patrick
Oct 14, 2008, 1:51 AM
For the most part the textures are good, It's been a while since we've been graced by the presence of your magnificent bridges.

I'll be sure to show a few pics of the Staunton and Jefferson Bridges as soon as I improve the areas around them. :yes:

Currently I am working on giving the city more character, for example heres a slice of Callahan Village.

Before

http://i38.tinypic.com/2j3kv47.jpg

After

http://i36.tinypic.com/24c5htx.jpg

Its alot harder than it looks! A few tidbits, the two building that look alike and have the same texture where designed by the same architect and the Clock Tower in the new version was once the tallest building in Staunton in the late 1800's.

Austin55
Oct 14, 2008, 4:10 AM
Yes! You need more things identifiable with staunton, say some sort of ride(look how a ferris wheel changed TC) or say, a decorated street sighn or a sculpture, you get the idea. Your the city genius.

What eould a photographer use as his canvas?

Patrick
Oct 16, 2008, 10:26 AM
Giving Downtown some much needed detail, but street level views are so dead idk how to bring some life. I do show too many skyline shots and always ignore the streets, making Staunton look dead. So I tried using Kerkythea again, dose this picture look good?

If Staunton had a heart, this intersection is exactly where it would be, Market Street & 8th Street. We've got the Staunton Stock Exchange on the left, Staunton Futures Exchange in the center, and the Staunton Mercantile Exchange to the right.

http://i34.tinypic.com/1vms.jpg

Patrick
Oct 16, 2008, 9:21 PM
Another rendered shot, this time looking up at One Financial Square.

http://i33.tinypic.com/a3jt4h.jpg

photoLith
Oct 16, 2008, 11:40 PM
How can your computer handle all of that information. Mine would explode!

Aleks
Oct 19, 2008, 5:53 AM
Hmmm.. I like the city but maybe it's best not to render. You can't really separate the glass from non-reflective parts of a texture so it looks funky when everything is shiny. Or it's good just maybe not close-ups. That middle building in the last picture looks good though. Very good and Callahan Village looks really good too. The area looks more alive and friendly now.

Austin55
Oct 19, 2008, 7:38 AM
Ass Tower. I like it. :haha:

Every one likes a good ass. Tower.

pun intended :D

ertiikus
Oct 20, 2008, 1:24 PM
i wanna live in staunton!!!

Patrick
Oct 27, 2008, 5:47 AM
Looking down Market Street to the Staunton Futures Exchange, Horton Grand Hotel, and United International Group Building.

http://i35.tinypic.com/ienhus.jpg

Austin55
Oct 27, 2008, 5:51 AM
holy helluvu- the virgin Mary rang my
Doorbell and angels defenses the awe

Austin55
Oct 27, 2008, 5:54 AM
Aleks- most buildings also use other reflective material, IE the Trammel Crow tower in Dallas, it's shiny and reflective and uses Marble and granite. Most buildings do, except mostly concrete, but asking as pat does it right it'll look good.

Wrightguy0
Oct 27, 2008, 11:02 AM
Nice job patrick. I say, the futures exchange looks like it was designed by Holabird & Root.

Aleks
Oct 28, 2008, 2:03 AM
No, that's not what I meant Austin. I meant like window frames, that last rendered image Patrick posted looked a little funky with the glass facade of the building all the way to the right of the picture. It looks awesome just unrendered, just as good, actually, it looks even better.

treras93
Oct 28, 2008, 3:28 AM
God, Patrick your lowrises are always the best. i love this a little more with each update.

Anyway i dont think its necessary to render. i think the photoshopping looks awesome!:tup:

Patrick
Oct 28, 2008, 6:21 AM
No, that's not what I meant Austin. I meant like window frames, that last rendered image Patrick posted looked a little funky with the glass facade of the building all the way to the right of the picture. It looks awesome just unrendered, just as good, actually, it looks even better.

Well you would be right, except the rendering didnt do anything to that building on the right, thats just how the texture is, kerk did make it a bit bluer ;)

Nice job patrick. I say, the futures exchange looks like it was designed by Holabird & Root.

Just what I was aiming for :D It's definantly inspired by the Chicago Board of Trade, but I hope it dosnt come off too much of a rip-off.

Anyway i dont think its necessary to render. i think the photoshopping looks awesome!:tup:

The last shot isnt rendered, the previous two are, but if you guys think Staunton looks realistic enough photoshopped, fine by me :yes:

Patrick
Oct 30, 2008, 3:25 AM
Its fall in the City of Justice! New sky yay!

http://i35.tinypic.com/2s0g6rb.jpg

treras93
Oct 30, 2008, 4:11 AM
OMG New sky!? Can it be!? lol looks good!:tup:

Wrightguy0
Oct 30, 2008, 5:15 PM
that is beautilicious

Mocholate
Nov 1, 2008, 10:31 PM
One Financial Square !
Your best texture i reckon + The building !! wow

I must say that is fucking hot !

Patrick
Nov 1, 2008, 11:16 PM
Still working on Downtown which is almost close to perfection so I can move on West to Midtown, which I'm very excited for! Heres something I'm sure you guys will love, an aerial!

Here you can see the main clusters/districts. From left to right: The Westly Center, Plaza District, Civic Center, Fort Staunton, Callahan Village, and the Financial Center.

Small version:

http://i35.tinypic.com/kb8ua1.jpg

FULL SIZE:

http://i34.tinypic.com/17493a.jpg

Austin55
Nov 1, 2008, 11:34 PM
Ok, live.local creenshots aren't cool. I'm callin the cops

malec
Nov 2, 2008, 2:24 AM
Patrick, hope you don't mind me criticizing something.

Your city is great and has loads of character but seems to be stuck in time somewhat. I think it would add even more if you put in some stuff from the 21st century. Now I'm not saying you should put in some ridiculous looking massive thing but maybe some stuff that's quirky but fits in also. Examples I can think of are Hearst Tower, Bank of America, etc. I think it would add a new dimension. :)

Just my opinion though.

Aleks
Nov 2, 2008, 3:13 AM
Yeah, I've been telling him that too but I doubt he'll change it. The areal looks amazing though, great details and textures. My favorite building is still Lloyd. BTW, the waterfront looks amazing! You should add something on the waterfront like a museum or something.

Austin55
Nov 2, 2008, 5:39 AM
I agree something little and 21st centrury would be great,Like NY's 3NWTC or the Platinum or such, I still think some crazy cool Gehry desighn would be sweet on the waterfront.

Wrightguy0
Nov 4, 2008, 9:19 PM
No patrick don't listen to these clods it's perfect, you know what would be nice, a night shot from this angle

Austin55
Nov 4, 2008, 9:23 PM
No patrick don't listen to these clods it's perfect

If it had street lines itd be perfecter:yes:

Mocholate
Nov 5, 2008, 8:02 AM
I doubt he'll change it.
:haha: Just keep ignoring them Patrick

Patrick
Nov 6, 2008, 3:55 AM
Not to sound rude but like I've said several times before you won't be seeing any 21st Century styled buildings in Staunton anytime soon. I want it to have that 90's New York feeling. I've put in a few post-9/11 styled condominums and moderate glass office buildings, so I'd put Staunton around the year 2006, afterall thats when the city was first created! Years from now, If I'm still working on Staunton, it'll still be set in between 1998 - 2006, Staunton simply wont age. :yes:

You should add something on the waterfront like a museum or something.

I've been thinking an modern arts museum on one of the parking lots on the right side of the aeiral and adding several lowrises to Westly Gardens. Expect one soon!

If it had street lines itd be perfecter:yes:

Oh god dont get me started on the streets, I'd love to add 2D cars like the previous version of Staunton, but thats wayy to much work. :yuck:

Anyways.

Lets play, guess the buildings that I was inspired by! They're all pretty easy.

Bank of the Nation & 1 Calcom Plaza, two New York Styled buildings, the one on the right is pretty easy, can anyone name the Bank of the Nation's predecessor?

http://i37.tinypic.com/2ns8k8w.jpg

A large Art Deco hotel, can someone help me out with a name? Anywho this one is also based on a famous pre-WWII New York building.

http://i35.tinypic.com/a1iebt.jpg

One & Two Main Plaza, I'm sure Austin55 can guess these two Texan styled buildings.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2s6k9i0.jpg

A shot of that nameless hotel.

http://i36.tinypic.com/11jly61.jpg

Wrightguy0
Nov 6, 2008, 11:44 AM
The Stauntonian Hotel (A take on the New Yorker)
Anyhoo, the bank of the nation is based on the lincoln building
And Calcom is the verizon building

photoLith
Nov 6, 2008, 6:27 PM
Im sure its been stated a billions times but it looks just like downtown Manhattan. Battery Park is sort of there too and the layout of the buildings and their heights correspond almost exactly to downtown Manhattan. Great job though!

Austin55
Nov 6, 2008, 11:10 PM
one Houston Plaza and Americas tower both from big H

Aleks
Nov 7, 2008, 1:00 AM
I would name the new hotel, The Staunton Gardens Hotel or Laumberg Plaza Hotel. And haha, I knew Patrick wouldn't change the city's style. I meant something from the 1950's/60's. Something with a Guggenheim feel to it. Also, I think a Lever House style building should go in the waterfront in Callahan Village.

Patrick
Nov 10, 2008, 3:11 AM
the bank of the nation is based on the lincoln building

one Houston Plaza and Americas tower both from big H

Actually, Bank Of the Nation = Mercantile Building New York, One Main Plaza = Lincoln Plaza Dallas, Two Main Plaza = Fullbright Tower Houston, The Stauntonian (thanks Wrightguy) = Waldorf Astoria.

I guess they weren't that easy, which is good news :D

Finally a Museum, the modern arts museum is next, other civic things ahead inculde: Kent Field and the Jefferson Observation Tower for Jefferson. Staunton Opera House, Galcorp Arena, Staunton Square, and the Farland Plaza for Midtown. A football stadium and Coney Island styled Amusement Park in New Ganton. Any suggestions as to what else the people of Staunton need?

B&W, so Army Pier has been scrapped for the Staunton Museum of History and extensions to Fort Staunton. I'm gonna make the tip of Staunton more people friendly.

http://i35.tinypic.com/vpgcgk.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/333fupk.jpg

Austin55
Nov 10, 2008, 4:00 AM
oh Fullbright tower, Americas tower they look the same. The other looks like 2 Houston place with Lincoln
Plaza texture. Great shots, love the ideas you've presented, can't wait to see em. How bout a opera house based of FW's? It's amazing, it seems Staunton like.

Patrick
Nov 10, 2008, 4:31 AM
oh Fullbright tower, Americas tower they look the same. The other looks like 2 Houston place with Lincoln
Plaza texture. Great shots, love the ideas you've presented, can't wait to see em. How bout a opera house based of FW's? It's amazing, it seems Staunton like.

Whats the Americas Tower and 2 Houston Place, I have no idea what buildings you are talking about, I tried looking them up! :haha: