PDA

View Full Version : Fargo-Moorhead developments information

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

SmileyBoy
Jul 9, 2006, 10:01 PM
98,063 for 2004 seems very very believeable. The fact that it was city-based reserach helps out alot too.

NanoBison
Jul 9, 2006, 11:11 PM
I was wondering if someone was ever going to do something with that building. But when I look at it, I don't think it's really the type of building for retail. Unless of course, they blow out some walls and put in some floor to ceiling windows. If that happens then it could turn out nice. That building is also next to the Black building. It's a wonderful building, but I hate the fact that it is surrounded on both sides by much smaller buildings. The Black Building itself, deserves to be on it's own block with really nice landscaping. But I would imagine, to move a struture like that would cost millions of dollars. But think of how nice it would look on it's own block, with all the brick work cleaned up and new windows installed. It would assume the title of one of the monoliths of downtown. But right now, it's a nice building surround by other mediocre buildings. I'm sure once Karen Burgum gets done with that building that your talking about FM, the block should get nicer. In fact, that entire intersection should be pretty nice.

NanoBison
Jul 9, 2006, 11:11 PM
I was wondering if someone was ever going to do something with that building. But when I look at it, I don't think it's really the type of building for retail. Unless of course, they blow out some walls and put in some floor to ceiling windows. If that happens then it could turn out nice. That building is also next to the Black building. It's a wonderful building, but I hate the fact that it is surrounded on both sides by much smaller buildings. The Black Building itself, deserves to be on it's own block with really nice landscaping. But I would imagine, to move a struture like that would cost millions of dollars. But think of how nice it would look on it's own block, with all the brick work cleaned up and new windows installed. It would assume the title of one of the monoliths of downtown. But right now, it's a nice building surround by other mediocre buildings. I'm sure once Karen Burgum gets done with that building that your talking about FM, the block should get nicer. In fact, that entire intersection should be pretty nice.

F-Misthebest
Jul 10, 2006, 3:18 AM
98,063 for 2004 seems very very believeable. The fact that it was city-based reserach helps out alot too.

Totally believable. And if it grew 4,000 people in the next two years then it would be believable that we are at 102,254.

Fargo:
2004-98,063
2005-around 100,000
2006-102,254

Makes sense. It is complete bull that we lost 1,200 people. That just ticks me off when all the people who do not know about the annual population of the city from the city, and that the only annual population estimates that are out are from the census. The census stinks at annual population for this region. They probably wrong on other areas as well.

Paintballer1708
Jul 10, 2006, 9:59 PM
^And thats the problem, so many people depend on the Census Bereau for population estimates. The good thing on this forum is most people know those estimates are way off the actual perspective of things. Never trust the Census Bereau. Im sure that Fargo grew and did not decline. I mean with all the new development going on for that area, to decline is complete bull.

Paintballer1708
Jul 10, 2006, 11:56 PM
Anyway talking about the growth of North Dakota, heres another site that people go to if they are interested in moving to a certain state. Well, i looked at North Dakota and its seems like it is pretty popular for people coming from the south.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/

SmileyBoy
Jul 11, 2006, 1:02 AM
Anyway talking about the growth of North Dakota, heres another site that people go to if they are interested in moving to a certain state. Well, i looked at North Dakota and its seems like it is pretty popular for people coming from the south.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/

I see a LOT of Texas license plates driving around lately. No doubt it's true.

NanoBison
Jul 11, 2006, 2:36 AM
Isn't USA Wrestling going on right now? Since Fargo is the meetings place for the championships, I'd expect to see quite a variety of plates around town, which I have (Illinois, New York, Florida, Texax, New Mexico, I even saw a Hawaii plate!!!).

But I wouldn't attribute those plates to just the USA Wrestling being in town. I've seen multiple random plates at all times of the year.

F-Misthebest
Jul 11, 2006, 11:06 PM
Oh yah there are tuns of license plates from different states all year round. :D

Paintballer1708
Jul 12, 2006, 12:29 AM
Did any of you guys see that thread in the City Discussions about the U.S population estimates? First off it is way off. They say North Dakota will go through negative growth rates and Ohio will only be at 11.5 million people when they are about ready to reach that mark. I think Ohio will be at 12 million when the 2030 census comes around and i would imagine with the development in North Dakota you would be around 1 million. That is why you never trust the Census Bereau. They just go by what is happening now. Not any new developments that are going on or new jobs coming to the area to attract new people. The Census Bereau is complete bull.

F-Misthebest
Jul 12, 2006, 2:30 AM
Well I believe in the decade census but not the annual. They are way off.

NanoBison
Jul 12, 2006, 2:31 AM
I would love to see the state hit 1 million people by 2030, but that's going to take another 350,000 people.... I'd conservatively say 725,000 by 2030 is probably doable, maybe 1,000,000 by 2050, if people get fed up of living in crowded cities with high crime and high costs and heavy traffic and could use a change of pace... and temperature...

:tup:

(I do agree the census tends to be off quite a bit for our region...)

Paintballer1708
Jul 12, 2006, 2:38 AM
Not just for Fargo or North Dakota but for many other sections of the country. Anyway some parts of the Bereau i can trust. I think they need to do a little bit better job of getting estimates though.

F-Misthebest
Jul 12, 2006, 2:41 AM
You think. :D

SmileyBoy
Jul 12, 2006, 4:13 AM
The problem with the projections is that the Census uses trends that are either an anomaly, that have been stopped, or are just old. The 97 flood started a bleeding trend for ND from 1997 to around 2002. I think the Census is still using that trend in its projections. I have talked to Richard Rathge before (the ND state demographer at NDSU), and he has told me that there is reason to believe that ND has shown an annual steady increase from around late 2003 to the present, although the actual current total number may still be a little below the 2000 figure. He said that he would be very surprised to see ND have either a very tiny increase from 2000-2010 or a decrease in that period. He expects a growth much like the one seen from 1990-2000, but maybe even a little bigger than that. If 2000 was at 642,200, that would mean that 650,000 is a good goal for 2010.

Here's my own estimate of what ND might look like by 2030:

2010: 649,000
2020: 677,000
2030: 722,000

We will still be ahead of Wyoming, DC and Vermont in 2030.

This is a conservative estimate on my part. Mainly we will see ND emerge as an energy juggernaut of the US, which will help western towns like Williston and Dickinson. Furthermore, Fargo/West Fargo and Bismarck will both continue to boom. I don't know about GF, because I frankly don't have any faith in that shithole. But overall, I think having 700,000 in 20 years (2026) is a good goal to have.

F-Misthebest
Jul 12, 2006, 4:20 AM
I believe that could happen.

Paintballer1708
Jul 12, 2006, 4:21 AM
Yes, i agree. Those numbers dont seem too bad. I realize they are all estimates, but i was always wondering about the 2000 population compared to today and it suprised me that the state was still below that point. Probaly not by much and probaly not for long either. The same thing is happening in Pennsylvania. We had a growth rate of only 20,500 in the 1980s. Now since 2000 we have had a growth rate of over 150,000. The numbers here keep getting better every census.

F-Misthebest
Jul 13, 2006, 3:59 AM
I have some development news. The Crossing has started to break ground and moved some dirt. There's some cranes and bulldozers out there. On 52nd Ave. South next to a tree nursrey has moved dirt with cranes and bulldozers on it. Rocking Horse (a company in south west Fargo) has put up signs on 52nd Avenue. "Build to Suit" and "Commercial Lots Available." I'm sure they will sell quickly. West Fargo has set up signs that says "City of West Fargo" on 52nd Ave and Sheyenne Street bu 52.

SmileyBoy
Jul 13, 2006, 4:50 AM
I have some development news. The Crossing has started to break ground and moved some dirt. There's some cranes and bulldozers out there. On 52nd Ave. South next to a tree nursrey has moved dirt with cranes and bulldozers on it. Rocking Horse (a company in south west Fargo) has put up signs on 52nd Avenue. "Build to Suit" and "Commercial Lots Available." I'm sure they will sell quickly. West Fargo has set up signs that says "City of West Fargo" on 52nd Ave and Sheyenne Street bu 52.

There have been some bulldozers at The Crossing site for a while now. Just last week I saw a couple of them nibbling away at a pile of dirt. I hope this means that construction will happen soon. Last I saw, there were two construction vehicles (a bulldozer and a crane) at the site. Are there more now?? I hope this means the project will get started.

SmileyBoy
Jul 13, 2006, 5:25 AM
Downtown is starting to evolve...

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/20060713tfnewdowntown2.jpg
The view from inside the historic Ford Motor Co. manufacturing plant at 505 Broadway, which is being remodeled into retail space and condominiums, shows much of downtown Fargo, including the Universal Building, center, which is also being remodeled into condominiums. Dave Wallis / The Forum

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/0713newdowntown%20copy.jpg

Downtown's changing face
By Tracy Frank, The Forum
Published Thursday, July 13, 2006

People who only get into Fargo’s core once a year during the Downtown Street Fair will notice some big and small changes along the route.

That is, if they can tear their eyes away from the art, crafts and other goodies at booths brimming over Broadway beginning today.

Within the past year, some longtime establishments have left, and some new shops have moved in. Major rehabilitation projects have materialized, and several buildings have taken on new looks.

“The whole Broadway and downtown project is almost like a wake behind a boat: As time goes on, it spreads a little wider,” Downtown Community Partnership President Dave Anderson said as he surveyed the changes since this time last summer.

Starting at the southern end of Broadway, slightly west on Main Avenue, fairgoers will notice some new additions to the strip of shops lining Main Avenue.

“This place is suddenly just vibrant,” Anderson said.

Uptown Cottage and One World Imports have shifted locations, and Babb’s Coffee House and Mamma Mia, a new maternity and baby store, have moved in. Some of the stores are linked inside by open doorways.

“It creates a neat little neighborhood,” Anderson said.

Crossing Main and walking north on Broadway, shoppers might notice that work on two buildings south of CI Apparel is finished. The buildings now house condos and office space.

A little farther north on Broadway and west on NP Avenue, the OB Diner has closed to make way for a new OB Sports Café, which hasn’t opened yet.

Glancing north across the street, it would be hard not to notice the bright new facade of the longstanding Sports Bar. Just west of its fresh maroon, orange and green paint, a combination grocery store and delicatessen known as Green Market is under construction.

Heading back toward the street fair and making a north on Broadway, fairgoers might notice that the old Fargo National Bank building at 52 Broadway is now Fort Noks Bar of Gold.

A little farther north, from 64½ to 66½ Broadway, Nachhattar Gill is renovating his buildings’ storefronts.

“They’re going to notice a lot of changes with Mr. Gill’s building,” Anderson said.

The ’60s-style slip cover that once adorned the building has given way to a red brick facade, tall windows and delicate iron trimming.

Around the corner, on First Avenue North, the former PD’s on First restaurant is being replaced by an eatery that Anderson says plans to reveal itself during the street fair.

Heading north on Broadway toward the Black Building, if fairgoers decide to escape the projected 94-plus degree heat by ducking into an air-conditioned shop, they might notice that Scan Design, just a year and a half old, has already expanded.

Going through Scan Design into the Black Building, now-cooled fairgoers will see new shops like Pink Flamingo, a women’s fashion store.

Stepping back outside and shading their eyes from the summer sun, if fairgoers happen to look east past the booths on Broadway, they’ll see the Fargo Dog House has been replaced by Salad Express and Metro Drug has undergone several changes.

The combined drug store/convenience store/eatery can now add ice-cream parlor to its avocation. The establishment added a window about three weeks ago that allows it to sell 16 flavors of ice cream to passers-by. Metro Drug also installed bathrooms and put in a new blue and white-checkered dining area.

Walking north and crossing back to the west side of Broadway, fairgoers will notice that Rennys Parlour, an old-fashioned burger joint, has replaced the Cajun Cafe.

A little farther north, what used to be Interiors by France is soon to become Atomic Coffee and Funky Junque. A second-floor balcony is also being built along with a roof garden.

A few paces to the north, fairgoers will find Dempseys Public House – a new Irish pub – and The Aquarium, a bar catering to touring, independent and original artists located above Dempseys.

Just north and crossing again to the east side of Broadway, fairgoers will find that Babb’s Coffee House (now on Main Avenue), Mr. Print and the Golden Razor Barber Shop are gone.

“Part of the lifecycle of a downtown is that downtown is never the same,” Anderson said. “Some come and some go, and that’s part of the life of the place.”

At last year’s street fair, plans to renovate the Fargoan were first publicly unveiled. This year, plywood and plastic cover some of the walls, and one of the four store-fronts has been finished. Architect Terry Stroh said he wanted fairgoers to be able to catch a glimpse of what the building looked like before and what it will look like after the renovations are complete.

Nine of the 16 condos have been sold, and three of the four retail spaces have been rented out, including one to O’Day Cache, which plans to be fully moved by September.

“The space is going to be so unique,” said owner Cindy O’Day, who is excited to be moving to Broadway. “It’s going to be very European/Asian looking with a contemporary flare.”

Work has already started on the adjoining Moose Lodge and Dixon buildings. Those spaces will be available for retail as well. Developers are also talking with Fargo Theatre Executive Director Margie Bailey about using the historic theater on the second floor of the former Moose Lodge building across the street as a second screen for the Fargo Theatre, Stroh said.

Around the north corner from the Fargoan, work is under way on the Bristol Place apartments.

“This is what makes a downtown a downtown,” said Anderson, adding that projects like Bristol Place and the Fargoan give downtown its personality.

The combination of housing, theater, shops and restaurants “create the uniqueness of the place,” he said. “Nobody lives at the mall; nobody lives at the strip center.”

Still farther north, fairgoers will notice that the Great Northern Restaurant and Brewery is no longer in business, and, just north across the railroad tracks, crews are busy turning the old Ford assembly plant and former Kaye’s Printing building into condos, office and retail space.

Once paneled-over windows are being uncovered, new windows are being installed, the area north of the building is being enclosed for parking, and the masonry and concrete work is being finished.

Northern Home and InterOffice furniture stores will move into the first floor, MBA Architects is moving into the second floor, and six or seven residential condos will take up the third floor of the old assembly plant.

“We’re excited to have the retail showrooms right on Broadway,” said architect and developer Kevin Bartram. “Hopefully it will help solidify that north end of Broadway.”

Street fair patrons won’t only take in new sights downtown, they’ll also notice some new sounds.

The city has installed speakers that emit an electronic chirping at some downtown intersections to help people with visual impairments know when it’s safe to cross the street.

Anderson said it’s tough to estimate how many newcomers the street fair brings into downtown. But he said in talking to people, he’s found that they travel from as far as Montana, South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas.

But even to some locals, touring downtown is a new experience, he said.

“We always hear from people who say they come downtown for the street fair, and they either haven’t been here before or they haven’t noticed the changes,” Anderson said. “It’s amazing what a change all of this has really undergone. If people are willing to explore a little bit, to step off Broadway, they’re going to like what they’re going to see.”

SmileyBoy
Jul 13, 2006, 5:27 AM
Check out this news... A big commercial development along I-29 between 76th and 88th Ave South???

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/0713mnnewmanlocator%20copy.jpg

Sign firm owner plans rezoning
By Mike Nowatzki, The Forum

The owner of Newman Signs on Wednesday postponed his request to rezone a quarter-section of land along Interstate 29 south of Fargo for commercial development.

The Fargo Planning Commission granted a 90-day continuance to Harold Newman, owner of the Jamestown, N.D., billboard manufacturer.

By the time his request comes back in October, city planners should have a solid draft of its long-range growth plan being updated for properties south of 52nd Avenue South, Senior Planner Jim Hinderaker said.

Planners had recommended the commission deny Newman’s request to rezone roughly 130 acres of land in the southeast quadrant ofI-29 and 76th Avenue South from agricultural to commercial because the growth plan didn’t support the change, Hinderaker said.

“We’re working on the draft plan, and every indication is that it probably would support the change if it continues in the direction that it’s going,” he said.

Newman said he’d like the property rezoned as soon as possible so he can start marketing the land. Asked what types of businesses may locate there, he said, “I think that vision will be dictated by demand.”

It also may depend on what goes in at 52nd Avenue South and I-29, he said.

Menards has expressed interest in building a store in the northwest corner of the interchange. In the southwest corner, landowner Larry Scheffler said there could be as many as three big-box retailers in his proposed “The District at the Lakes” development.

By getting his property zoned early, Newman said he hopes to avoid protests like those faced by Fred and Earlyne Hector when neighbors opposed a proposed Wal-Mart store on their land in the northeast corner of I-29 and 52nd Avenue. That proposal, which required a growth plan amendment to expand the commercial area, was withdrawn last month after Wal-Mart terminated its purchase agreement with the Hectors.

Newman’s land sits in Fargo’s 4-mile extraterritorial area, over which the city has zoning jurisdiction. Fargo’s growth to the west is largely blocked by West Fargo and Horace, N.D., so the most intense growth is expected to the north and south.

Newman said he expects his property to fill in quickly once a proposed interchange is built at I-29 and 76th Avenue South. Fargo City Engineer Mark Bittner said the interchange is anticipated, but there’s no timeline for it.

The Fargo-Moorhead Metropolitan Council of Governments will study whether an interchange is needed at 64th Avenue South, as well, Bittner said.

Fargo and Clay County officials also are at a standstill over whether to build a Red River bridge at 76th Avenue South, which is the county’s preferred option, or at 70th Avenue South as Fargo wants.

SmileyBoy
Jul 13, 2006, 5:29 AM
Busy day for development news... Here's the last story.

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/0713Synod%20copy.jpg

Church, senior housing plan joint project
By Sherri Richards, The Forum

A Lutheran church and a senior housing provider hope sharing a building will expand both their ministries.

The North Dakota District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and The Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society plan to build a joint facility in southwest Fargo.

“We have similar missions,” said Mark Dickerson, director of communications for the Good Samaritan Society. “It’s just a good opportunity for both organizations to help each other and build in a community where we see a need.”

The building at 4502 37th Ave. S. would include a 144-seat sanctuary attached to a 48-unit senior living facility.

It would be part of the Sincebaugh Addition, a residential area west of 45th Street and north of 40th Avenue South being developed by the Missouri Synod district.

The church and the senior housing would share an entrance and parking, said the Rev. Larry Harvala, district president

On Wednesday, Fargo’s Planning Commission unanimously recommended approval of the shared parking agreement.

Harvala hopes the two organizations can also share equipment and personnel to some degree.

For example, the pastor of the church could also serve as chaplain to the senior living center.

Church members could mingle with residents, he said, and residents could attend Sunday worship services.

“We know how to operate as a church and they know how to operate as a senior living facility, but we want to figure out ways we can collaborate between our two entities and make it a true partnership,” Harvala said.

There are three Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod congregations in Fargo. The North Dakota district has 90 congregations.

The Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society, based in Sioux Falls, S.D., has 250 facilities in 24 states, including ones in Arthur and Oakes in North Dakota, and Barnesville and Pelican Rapids in Minnesota.

The senior living facility would have 24 assisted-living and 24 basic-care units.

The 61,000-square-foot building would have a historic look, like the rest of the development. The church would be reminiscent of a prairie church with a steeple, Harvala said.

Building plans will likely be completed late this month, with a request for bids in August, Dickerson said.

The timeline for construction will depend on the projected costs, he said.

F-Misthebest
Jul 13, 2006, 6:00 AM
Huge day for development. I'm glad to see it. The Crossing construction people are eating away at the dirt hill so I think they will begin constructoin soon. And what about Urban Plains.

NanoBison
Jul 13, 2006, 6:03 AM
Holy Moly!!! Someone get some cleaning supplies... my head is about to explode with all of this news of EVEN MORE developments... Ok. Now I'm going to go read all of them and respond in a few minutes...

NanoBison
Jul 13, 2006, 6:05 AM
According to that Forum picture there is an Atomic Coffee in downtown Fargo. When the heck did that happen?

:sly:

SmileyBoy
Jul 13, 2006, 6:13 AM
According to that Forum picture there is an Atomic Coffee in downtown Fargo. When the heck did that happen?

:sly:

Last time I drove down Broadway (yesterday), I didn't notice an Atomic Coffee. Maybe it's coming soon.

SmileyBoy
Jul 13, 2006, 6:14 AM
Huge day for development. I'm glad to see it. The Crossing construction people are eating away at the dirt hill so I think they will begin constructoin soon. And what about Urban Plains.

I have no idea what the hell Urban Plains is doing. They promised us groundbreaking in April, and it's mid-July now. I'm begging to God that this will not be a cancelled project.

NanoBison
Jul 13, 2006, 6:56 AM
Wow, just finished reading all the news, mainly the articles on the new developments and how they are coming along. At this point I'm very impressed with how our quant little metropolis is really starting to fill out. We've got people interested in developing out in 70+ S Ave? Cripes, I never get past 52nd Ave S very often. I'm going to have to start though once that and the Las Vegas developments start. I was also happy to see in one of the articles they mentioned that due to West Fargo and Horace pretty much blocking access to the west (pricks), the city's main areas of growth with be to the south and the NORTH. What was that Rod Rodey? That's right, to the North!!! I've said many times, that area of town is so under-appreciated for it's potential. Aside from building directly north of the airport and by the Sewage Lagoons, there's thousands of acres of prime development land right next door, just like I had indicated on one of my last posts about "future developments for a new mall". Anyways, good to see that much happen in one day, even as the summer,...I mean construction season, is halfway over.

Ahhh, Winter and Construction Season. We only really need two season here.

NanoBison
Jul 13, 2006, 7:06 AM
I have no idea what the hell Urban Plains is doing. They promised us groundbreaking in April, and it's mid-July now. I'm begging to God that this will not be a cancelled project.

That area has too much potential to have a canceled project. A new school is going in right next to it. They are expanding 45th to 6 lanes farther down south in the future. They are going to pave 32nd Ave past 45th St, so it links up across the Shyenne with West Fargo. Perhaps they are waiting for the new I94/9th Street (West Fargo) Interchange to go up so they have major thouroughfares on both sides of the development as it starts construction? I hope not, becuase that isn't going to happen until 2008/2009, because low and behold, West Fargo's budget is pretty tight. Guess they are going to have to raise taxes to Fargo's levels. :D

I would expect to see something happening here pretty soon....

bnk
Jul 13, 2006, 7:07 AM
I am very impressed by the Fargo M intersest ( Midwest forumers) in keeping your area alive.

I feel like I will vist one day just to pay you guys your due.

NanoBison
Jul 13, 2006, 7:21 AM
Hey Smiley, I did some checking into the Meeting Minutes for the City of Fargo Comissioners Meeting and found quite a bit on Urban Plains by Brandt. So it does look like it's progressing. They are waiting on typical pre-development improvements (curbs, streets, water/sewage, utilities...).

Here are some of the clips from the minutes (http://www.ci.fargo.nd.us/Commission/Minutes/2006%20Minutes/.doc/cm060619.doc) from 06-19-2006.

[Description of Services to be installed]

Concrete Curb and Gutter, Asphalt Pavement, Utilities, Street Lights, Sidewalks and Incidentals Improvement District No. 5668 (East Portion Urban Plains by Brandt Addition) ....

[Here's a part on required time for any opposing party to voice opposition...]

Parcels of Land in Urban Plains by Brandt First Addition Rezoned (North of 32nd Avenue South and West of 45th Street South):
At a Hearing held on January 11, 2006 the Fargo Planning Commission recommended approval of a change in zoning from MR-3, Multiple-Dwelling to MR-3 on Block 3; MR-3, Multiple-Dwelling and LC, Limited Commercial to MR-3, Multiple Dwelling on Block 2; MR-3, Multiple-Dwelling and LC, Limited Commercial to LC, Limited Commercial on Block 4; and Lots 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 of Block 6; LC, Limited Commercial to LC, Limited Commercial on Lots 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6-12 of Block 7 and all of Blocks 1, 5, 8 and 9; MR-3, Multiple-Dwelling and LC, Limited Commercial to P/I, Public and Institutional on Lot 5 of Block 6; LC, Limited Commercial to P/I, Public and Institutional on Lot 4, Block 7, Urban Plains by Brandt First Addition.
The City Auditor's Office published a Notice of Hearing stating this is the time and date set for said Hearing at which time all interested persons could appear and would be heard.

[no one showed, now it can be approved....which it was]
[and finally the big whopper of good news on the Urban Plains development]

Resolution Adopted Approving Urban Plains by Brandt First Addition to the City of Fargo, Cass County, North Dakota:
Commissioner Cosgriff offered the following Resolution and moved its adoption:
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE BOARD OF CITY COMMISSIONERS OF THE CITY OF FARGO:
WHEREAS, A Plat has been filed in the office of the City Auditor entitled "Urban Plains By Brandt First Addition“, platting into 53 Lots, 9 Blocks and 328.04 acres more or less and located north of 32nd Avenue South and west of 45th Street South.
WHEREAS, A Hearing was scheduled to be held January 11, 2006, by the Fargo Planning Commission, and notice of such Hearing had been published, as required by law, and said Plat had been approved by the Fargo Planning Commission and by the City Engineer; and
WHEREAS, The City Auditor's Office published a Notice of Hearing on said Plat in the official newspaper for the City of Fargo on June 5 and June 12, 2006, that a Hearing would be held in the City Commission Room at the City Hall, Fargo, North Dakota at 5:15 o'clock p.m., June 19, 2006, at which time said Plat would be considered and all interested persons would be heard.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, That the Plat entitled "Urban Plains By Brandt First Addition" be and the same is hereby in all things affirmed and approved, and that the Mayor of the City of Fargo and the appropriate City Officials are hereby directed to endorse their approval on the Plat and then direct Petitioner to file same for record in the office of the Register of Deeds of Cass County, North Dakota.
Second by Williams. On the vote being taken on the question of the adoption of the Resolution Commissioners Cosgriff, Williams, Mahoney, Coates and Furness voted aye.

-------------------------------------------------------

I keep forgetting how much of a pain it is to be a developer and all the red tape you have to go through and the approval process... but it looks like it is still definitely happening Smiley...

p.s. It's always a good idea to attend/watch on public access/read the agendas of the Commissioners meetings. As boring as it is at times.... there's info on the Hector plot (Walmart was interested in) in there as well...

NanoBison
Jul 13, 2006, 7:22 AM
I am very impressed by the Fargo M intersest ( Midwest forumers) in keeping your area alive.

I feel like I will vist one day just to pay you guys your due.

Thanks Bnk, if you ever do plan on visiting our wonderful community let any of us know and we can tell you the best places to check out around town! :cool:

NanoBison
Jul 13, 2006, 5:23 PM
By the way people, I was incorrect on the USA Wrestling. They won't be here until July 22nd - July 29th. So the many different license plates were basically just people from out of town ... There should be about 4,000 students coming here, with their parents, relatives, coaches, friends, etc... Should be a good busy week for Fargo.

Paintballer1708
Jul 13, 2006, 7:18 PM
^Now is this Wrestling coming from a national level? If so thats really big for Fargo and its great news as well.

NanoBison
Jul 13, 2006, 7:21 PM
It's the national level (http://www.themat.com/). It's students from every state, boys and girls. I believe it's basically the national wrestling championships. It's pretty big for Fargo to keep getting this. This will be the 14th straight year it's been here. It brings in millions to the cities in the metropolitan area. Very good for the local economy.

NanoBison
Jul 13, 2006, 7:24 PM
I'm heading out to the Fargo Street Fair today guys. I'll look around for some of those new businesses to see if I can spot them (Atomic Coffee in Fargo???).

F-Misthebest
Jul 14, 2006, 3:27 PM
I know about the Atomic Coffee. Where the old "France by Design" or whatever it is called is moving back to Bismarck and in the windows they have "Atomic Coffee Coming Soon."

NanoBison
Jul 14, 2006, 5:06 PM
Yep, I saw that while I was walking downtown at the street fair. I hope that having two atomic coffees within 1 mile of each other doesn't hurt their business. I know alot of people from NDSU that would go over to the Moorhead one becuase it was a nice place to do homework.

F-Misthebest
Jul 14, 2006, 11:12 PM
That will add to the coffee shops downtown. They are getting so many downtown. I hope they tear down the Fargo Cinema Grill and build some nice mid to high-rise building. I hope they build some more buildings though. I love Fargo-Moorhead by the way.

SmileyBoy
Jul 15, 2006, 2:46 AM
I love Fargo-Moorhead by the way.

The HELL you say...:D :D :D

SmileyBoy
Jul 15, 2006, 2:53 AM
It definitely looks like something's happening at The Crossing site on 45th and 32nd. I passed by today and saw a couple bulldozers busily working on that mount of dirt.

NanoBison
Jul 15, 2006, 10:41 AM
Hey Smiley, here's some other news from the Forum on why progress at the Urban Plains by Brandt development is going slow. They want that full interchange setup on I-94 and 9th. West Fargo wanted to put it off until 2013. Looks like the cities agreed to get it in by 2008 (Overpass) and 2010 (Ramps). I say, quit wasting time and build the entire damn thing already, since the budget was made with funding the ramps in either 2008 or 2010.

Here's the article :

Fargo, W.F. agree on I-94 timeline
Published Saturday, July 15, 2006

Fargo and West Fargo city staff have reached agreement about how quickly they need to build ramps for a proposed shared interchange at Interstate 94.

The North Dakota Department of Transportation plans to build the I-94 interchange at the road the cities share under the names 57th Street in Fargo and Ninth Street East in West Fargo.

A Fargo Public Works committee will ask the City Commission on Monday to approve a schedule to build the overpass in 2008 and complete the ramps in 2010.

West Fargo officials had asked the Department of Transportation in May to consider delaying the ramps until 2013 to give the city more time to pay for the project.

An estimate by West Fargo’s Moore Engineering shows the project’s cost at $30.5 million if the ramps are built by 2010, or $16 million for the overpass only.

West Fargo City Administrator Jim Brownlee said city staff now believe they can identify savings in areas such as dirt stockpiling and land acquisition to move the project forward more quickly.

“Now we’re saying let’s get the ramps built as soon as the state can get the funding in,” Brownlee said.

West Fargo officials said they want the overpass installed by 2008 to accommodate a new ninth-grade school that will open in fall 2007 at Ninth Street East and 40th Avenue South. For the first year the school is open, drivers will have to use Sheyenne Street or 45th Street to get across I-94.

Fargo City Engineer Mark Bittner said property owners are also making plans to develop the land along 57th Street south of I-94. The developers of Osgood Farms and Urban Plains by Brandt both raised concerns about delaying the ramps until 2013, he said.

“The overpass, from their perspective, doesn’t benefit them a significant amount,” he said. “It’s the interchange that they feel is critical.”

The ramps are also important to West Fargo for commercial development along I-94, Brownlee said.

A working draft of the new Statewide Transportation Improvement Program calls for funding the ramps in 2008 or 2010, said Bob Fode, planning and programming engineer for the Department of Transportation.

The program must be finalized by Oct. 1, Fode said.

The cities are funding the overpass. The Department of Transportation is paying for the ramps and half the cost of acquiring the right-of-way.

----------

At least Osgood and Urban Plains also has the 45th/I-94 Interchange to rely on. But for both those developments, you would ultimately want to full interchanges up and running.

Get to work!!! :whip:West Fargo

F-Misthebest
Jul 15, 2006, 3:08 PM
So that's good news about Urban Plains then. I think they were holding off until they got this clarification about the exit.

On Sheyenne Street by the Gas Station right south of I-94 they are clearing land to build something. I am friends with the owner of Northstar Coffee and the developer asked here to build a coffee shop there but she turned them down because she has a lot to do right now. So, she thinks another coffee shop is going to be built there.It would be nice for all those Eagle Run commuters.

F-Misthebest
Jul 15, 2006, 3:48 PM
I went to the Texas Roadhouse website and saw the on in Fargo is opening in September. http://www.texasroadhouse.com/content.php?menu=locations&display=newstores

Paintballer1708
Jul 16, 2006, 4:45 AM
http://www.bea.gov/bea/newsrel/gspnewsrelease.htm

North Dakota has some good GSP growths.

Paintballer1708
Jul 16, 2006, 5:03 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP_%28nominal%29

Heres some more.

NanoBison
Jul 17, 2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks Paintballer, those numbers are good to see, in a state that was considered abissmal. I was driving around town and noticed that the Interstate Batteries retail store is closed but they are doing some heavy rennovations on it AND the 2 storey office building to the north of it. Does anyone have any idea of what's going in there? It's starting to look pretty decent, nice brickwork. I also saw the Pracs expansion from 52nd Ave. Yep. It's big. You look to the north and there is this big HULK of a building there. Hope it looks sweet once they are finished with it.

F-Misthebest
Jul 18, 2006, 9:30 PM
Which Interstate Batteries? The one on 45th? Jeez I hope not.

SmileyBoy
Jul 19, 2006, 1:08 AM
Even though it doesn't look to be a big project, that construction site on the corner of 9th and 13th in West Fargo has been bugging the hell out of me lately. I know I should be focusing my attention on more important developments, but this has just gotten a hold of me for some reason. It just so happens I might be getting a job at the Domino's next door to the site (pending a good interview tomorrow), and if I'm able to get the job, I'd be able to see that site often. It looks to me like it's the same foundation shape and size of a small fast food restaurant, like a Taco Bell, Arby's or Subway. I know it can't be a Subway, because there's one already across the street. It could be a Taco Bell, seeing as there's no TB's in the city west of 42nd Street. I know it can't be a bank, since there's already three banks on that corner.

And also F-Misthebest, you were wondering about all the construction next to RJ's Conoco on Sheyenne Street, turns out there's a new housing development going up on the whole field site.

NanoBison
Jul 19, 2006, 3:40 AM
I was talking about the Interstate Batteries retail building on south University (it's close to The Bowler). I also saw that they are adding the basic frame to the Student Wellness Center Expansion. I didn't realize that the structure was going to be that tall. But then again, it's going to contain a climbing wall, so it makes sense. The Alien Technologies Building looks pretty much finished. The Technology Incubator is coming along nicely as well. I need to get a digital camera badly so I can take some photos around town before snowfall starts...

F-Misthebest
Jul 19, 2006, 6:45 AM
Project would ease train backups
By Melinda Rogers, The Forum
Published Wednesday, July 19, 2006

It’s an exercise in patience most Moorhead residents are forced to endure.

Passing between south and north Moorhead often guarantees a wait at a railroad crossing as steady streams of trains rumble through the city daily.

But Moorhead officials hope they’re inching closer to solving a decades-old problem that accompanies life as a railroad town: eliminating lines of traffic created from trains stalled on tracks in the heart of the city’s thoroughfares.

Moorhead’s proposed Southeast Main Avenue Railroad Grade Safety Project is one solution to tackling backed-up traffic, city engineer Bob Zimmerman said.
The $25 million project calls for the construction of an underpass below the intersection of Southeast Main Avenue and 20th/21st Street South.
Three railroad overpass bridges in the area would help relieve what often amounts to 10-minute waits for drivers when trains are stopped.

In addition, 1,800 feet of new railroad tracks will be built to create a railroad wye connection, eliminating the need for northbound trains to enter downtown Moorhead where they block traffic, said Rick Brown, vice president of Minneapolis-based SRF Consulting Group Inc., which is managing the project.

The wye connection allows for trains to make a smoother maneuver into Dilworth’s train yards, resulting in fewer trains blocking downtown crossings, he said.

Besides solving traffic woes, the project has another element: safety.

“By grade-separating this crossing, you’re taking away the need for all of the cars and the trucks and the school buses to have potential conflict with the trains,” Brown said.

With Moorhead High School just blocks from the crossing, there’s a heightened need to make sure pedestrian and bicycle crossings near the railroad tracks are safe, Brown said.

But the project comes with a big price tag for some Moorhead businesses and residents.

The city needs to acquire property in some areas surrounding the project, which forces people to move from locations they call home.

That prospect has drawn criticism from many, including several residents of the Greenwood Mobile Home Park.

About 20 mobile homes in the park east of Main Avenue would need to be purchased for the project to happen.

City officials hope to gather comments from concerned residents and others who have questions at a public hearing tonight.

Brown will present a computer animation of the project. An environmental assessment study will also be discussed.

The public hearing is a milestone for the project. After comments are compiled, the city will submit reports to the federal government, which is funding an estimated $17 million of the construction, Zimmerman said.

When federal officials sign off on the project, the city is free to begin acquiring property and to finalize project blueprints.

Construction could begin in 2008, as long as federal and local dollars continue to flow in.

For now, city officials are focused on letting the public know as much as possible about the project – and what it will do to ease traffic congestion.

“Almost 10 minutes is a long time,” Brown said of waiting on trains.

“Especially when you’re sitting in your car saying, ‘when am I going to get to work’?”

Readers can reach Forum reporter Melinda Rogers at (701) 241-5524

F-Misthebest
Jul 19, 2006, 6:47 AM
Sign firm objects to limits
Published Wednesday, July 19, 2006
The vice president of Newman Outdoor Advertising says special overlay districts being established in some new Fargo developments are hampering the company’s ability to grow with the city.

Russ Newman objected to conditional overlay districts approved Monday by the City Commission that restrict outdoor advertising in a 2-acre commercial area of Woodhaven 5th Addition and two lots in Osgood 7th Addition.

“We are a permitted use in the light commercial (zoning) designation, and to me this is an attempt to prohibit our growth with the city as it grows, particularly to the southwest,” he said.

The authority to create overlay districts stems from Page 28 of the city’s 235-page Land Development Code.

Since the code was adopted in 1998, overlays have been used only about a half-dozen times, most notably in the 328-acre Urban Plains by Brandt addition in southwest Fargo, said Bill Mahar, assistant city planner.

Newman said one intent of the districts, according to the code, is to guide development in “unusual or unique circumstances.” He said he believes overlays should be used to enhance areas.

“They’re using it as a control device, which I think is a misuse of their authority,” he said Tuesday, adding developers can place covenants on the land if they want to control signage.

Fargo Planning Director Jim Gilmour said planning staff are in the process of developing a regulatory zoning tool known as “design zone districts” that would establish design standards for developments and be easier to administer than conditional overlays. Planning staff need city commissioners to set the policy for the standards, which are six to 12 months from being ready, he said.

City Commissioner Linda Coates said city officials’ philosophy toward zoning and land use seems to be evolving faster than the actual zoning processes.

“Even though you have all you can do to keep up with what’s coming at you development-wise, we really do need to catch up so that it’s clear to everyone,” she told Gilmour.

Newman said the city also needs a better system of notifying affected industries about overlay districts, noting the City Commission agenda simply listed “a conditional zoning overlay” for the Woodhaven addition.

“To me, that’s a back-door way of zoning,” he said.

Woodhaven developer Steve Stoner said he agrees with Newman on the need for better notice, but he said he supports the overlay district in the residential area.

“It wasn’t forced upon me. It was an appropriate use there,” Stoner said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Mike Nowatzki at (701) 241-5528

F-Misthebest
Jul 20, 2006, 8:06 PM
http://www.unitedbloodservices.org/herostatepage.asp?state=nd

The new United Blood Services is open and is a very nice building. The link is above.

F-Misthebest
Jul 21, 2006, 7:38 PM
Even though I don't believe in these lists, on the Top 100 Best Places to Live, Fargo is now on it as number 69. I'm suprised Sioux Falls got kicked off the list. Here's the link: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/top100/index.html

Paintballer1708
Jul 22, 2006, 5:20 AM
I dont really trust these but, i do think that Forbes is a better site to go to. Its got the 2006 rankings of the best and worse metros from big to small. Worse to best job growths, and best to worse crime rates.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/05/03/06bestplaces_best-places-for-business_land.html

NanoBison
Jul 23, 2006, 7:39 AM
I'm going to agree with you Paintballer, the Forbes site tends to cover financials and commerce better than CNN or CNNfn (does that even exist anymore?), and this isn't my biased opinion, becuase this one ranked us better than the CNN one. I just associate Forbes with money more than CNN.

Forbes 400 Richest People
Forbes Best Places to Live

Fortune does good as well, but I don't think they've ever done a "best places to live" piece. More along the lines of "Most Expensive Homes in the World" type specials...

Inc. Magazine also does their "Best Places to do Business". I believe we were ranked 19th or something like that in the Small City category....

F-Misthebest
Jul 24, 2006, 5:37 PM
Yahoooooooo! We got past 10,000 views.:D :D :D :D!!!!!!!!

F-Misthebest
Jul 24, 2006, 9:03 PM
Here's the article of Fargo getting on "The List."

Fargo makes list of best places to live
By Craig McEwen, The Forum
Published Thursday, July 20, 2006

Fargo’s low-stress environment and quality schools play heavily into its 69th-place ranking among Money magazine’s 100 “Best Places to Live” edition released this week.

“Fargo’s highest-scoring area was ease of living,” said Tara Kalwarski, the magazine’s special projects editor. Education was the city’s second-highest attribute.

“Good-quality schools is something people look for these days when deciding where to live,” Kalwarski said.

Local officials say both are strong attributes of the community.

“Ease of living and education absolutely are at the heart of our strengths,” said Brian Walters, president of the Greater Fargo-Moorhead Economic Development Corp.

“We are a great place for families,” said Walters, who thought Fargo should have been ranked much higher. “I think they missed it by 68 points,” he said.

Money magazine has been doing its “Best Places” features for 20 years. “This year we decided to focus on small cities,” Kalwarski said.

This year’s installment set out to find small cities that have the best blend of good jobs, low crime, quality schools, open space, rational home prices and lots to do, the article states.

“You’ve got to be doing pretty well to make the list,” said David Martin, president and CEO of the Chamber of Commerce of Fargo-Moorhead.

“It’s more than just an honor. It’s an affirmation and a marketing opportunity,” he said.

Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker was not available for comment.

The study began by selecting 745 communities with populations exceeding 50,000, screening out cities of more than 300,000.

About 201 cities with low education scores, high crime rates, high housing costs, declines in employment or income less than 90 percent of the state median, were eliminated.

That left 90 small cities and 10 large cities to be ranked on several factors: job and income growth, quality of life, arts and leisure, incidents of stress-related ailments and ease-of-living gauges such as commute times, divorce rates, population density and weather.

Bismarck made the list at No. 77. Fort Collins, Colo., topped the list.

It’s not the first time Fargo has been recognized. In 2004, the city was mentioned in Money’s “What Makes a Place Hot” article that pointed out the city’s population resurgence.

In 2003, the magazine listed Fargo as one of the top 10 cities in the nation in which to start a business or get a job.

In 1993, the magazine ranked Fargo-Moorhead among the healthiest places to live, with one of the shortest commutes.

A year earlier, Fargo placed fifth in Money magazine’s list of top 10 metros, and Fargo-Moorhead placed in the top 10 list of the “Best Places to Live in America.”

Readers can reach Forum Business Editor Craig McEwen at (701) 241-5502

F-Misthebest
Jul 26, 2006, 12:48 AM
There is a new development that looks high-end 25th Street and 23rd Ave. It's being built currently and looks nice. I'll get more info on it later.

SmileyBoy
Jul 26, 2006, 4:03 AM
There is a new development that looks high-end 25th Street and 23rd Ave. It's being built currently and looks nice. I'll get more info on it later.

Is something new being built there?? I don't usually drive down 25th Street. Is that near Ruby Tuesday and that BP station?? What is it??

Archiseek
Jul 26, 2006, 4:19 AM
can someone give me a synopsis of any good architecture in fargo....
going to be down there later in the summer

F-Misthebest
Jul 26, 2006, 4:19 AM
Yup. It's being built now. On the picture in front of the site, it looks like it's going to have a glass foyer. It's right next to Ruby Tuesdays and the Storage Company.

F-Misthebest
Jul 26, 2006, 4:24 AM
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=104164 Here is a link to SmileyBoy's photo thread. It has many pictures of Fargo's downtown buildings. Some are new and some are old. A lot of them are old so it has the architecture from the late 1800's and early 1900's.

F-Misthebest
Jul 26, 2006, 4:34 AM
By the way Smiley, what do you think the metropolitan population and Fargo's population are as of right now. I'm guessing 215,000 for the metro area and 103,000 for the city of Fargo.

SmileyBoy
Jul 26, 2006, 4:48 AM
By the way Smiley, what do you think the metropolitan population and Fargo's population are as of right now. I'm guessing 215,000 for the metro area and 103,000 for the city of Fargo.

Well, if you take the annual percentage growth from 1990-2000 and apply that to this decade, Fargo at this moment should have somewhere between 103,000-104,000 people. I'm not sure if the rate of growth is faster or slower in the 2000's than in the 90's, so I'm making an assumption that it's the same. And I'm not concerned about the metro pop. too much, but I would think it's definitely over 210,000 now for the 4 counties. What I'm interested in though is the urban area, that is, the populations of all the cities that border each other (Fargo, Moorhead, West Fargo, Dilworth, Horace, etc.). People on SSP agree that this category is the TRUE measurement to how big a city is compared with another. And I think that with West Fargo growing like it is (almost 22,000 at the last city estimate), I would think the urban area is approaching 170,000 by now. That's almost the population of Regina, Saskatchewan. So I think we're definitely on our way.

F-Misthebest
Jul 26, 2006, 4:51 AM
I thought our urban population was 184,000.

SmileyBoy
Jul 26, 2006, 4:56 AM
I thought our urban population was 184,000.

You must be thinking of an old metro area figure...

F-Misthebest
Jul 26, 2006, 5:04 AM
Oh, probably. Anyways this new building by Ruby Tuesdays looks likes it's going to be something really nice. Also in the Eagle Run Plaza, a Cloud Nine Day Spa is going in as well as another Tannning thing. Another Anytime Fitness went in at the Shoppes on Highway 10 in Moorhead. Snap Fitness is now up on 19th and the new Bremer Bank they built up there is quite the structure. The new Middle School that they are building in West Fargo on 40th Ave. South (right north of Osgood) is coming along nicely as well as the Carl Ben Eielson Middle School in Fargo. Speaking of 40th Ave., they are starting to widen it as well as 45th Street. That's the one thing I hate about Fargo is that who ever is in charge of the roads always waits until the roads get driven on enough to widen them instead of making it 4 or 6 lanes right away.

NanoBison
Jul 26, 2006, 7:13 AM
Hey Archiseek,

We've got lots to offer if you're driving around looking for nice architecture.

Hotel Donaldson - Classic Brick Structure dating back to the early 1900's which has been completely rennovated on the outside and remodeled on the inside with a new chic/tech look.

Butler Manufacturing Training Center - Nice Modern Brick Design with clean lines and a heavy presence about it.

NDSU Downtown - This early 1900's building has been completely rennovated to house NDSU's Art and Architecture studio's. Original wooden floors have all been restored and the original building supports are still used as support columns. Very well done project ($10,000,000+).

Main Avenue Memorial Bridge - Yeah, I know, a bridge is a bridge, but it's definitely the best your going to see in North Dakota. It has towering steel pillars that glow with Neon colors at nighttime.

NDSU Research II (NDSU Research and Technology Park) - The second building housing the Center for Nanoscale Science and Engineering as well as multiple startup companies. It's very clean simple and efficient looking. Green glass panels liven the building up nicely. You can request a tour in advanced I believe, but the building has controlled access.

Plains Art Museum - Downtown Fargo. I believe it's the largest museum in the state, and one of the cooler looking ones. It should be twice as large as it is though.

Microsoft Campus - It currently has two large buildings, the newest one to the north end of the campus has all the high tech anemities from windows automatically adjusting light input into the building based on temp and ambient light to other cool security things. Keep in mind this campus has it's own security so you will only be able to drive by.

For most of the classics though, stick downtown. You can usually turn around a corner and see original buildings from the early 1900's. Many are currently being restored and other are also planned in the future. I hope you enjoy your visit Archiseek and that we don't disappoint. Ask the locals when you get here, for their opinions too. They are quite friendly.

Archiseek
Jul 26, 2006, 12:19 PM
Hey Archiseek,

We've got lots to offer if you're driving around looking for nice architecture.

Hotel Donaldson - Classic Brick Structure dating back to the early 1900's which has been completely rennovated on the outside and remodeled on the inside with a new chic/tech look.

Butler Manufacturing Training Center - Nice Modern Brick Design with clean lines and a heavy presence about it.

NDSU Downtown - This early 1900's building has been completely rennovated to house NDSU's Art and Architecture studio's. Original wooden floors have all been restored and the original building supports are still used as support columns. Very well done project ($10,000,000+).

Main Avenue Memorial Bridge - Yeah, I know, a bridge is a bridge, but it's definitely the best your going to see in North Dakota. It has towering steel pillars that glow with Neon colors at nighttime.

NDSU Research II (NDSU Research and Technology Park) - The second building housing the Center for Nanoscale Science and Engineering as well as multiple startup companies. It's very clean simple and efficient looking. Green glass panels liven the building up nicely. You can request a tour in advanced I believe, but the building has controlled access.

Plains Art Museum - Downtown Fargo. I believe it's the largest museum in the state, and one of the cooler looking ones. It should be twice as large as it is though.

Microsoft Campus - It currently has two large buildings, the newest one to the north end of the campus has all the high tech anemities from windows automatically adjusting light input into the building based on temp and ambient light to other cool security things. Keep in mind this campus has it's own security so you will only be able to drive by.

For most of the classics though, stick downtown. You can usually turn around a corner and see original buildings from the early 1900's. Many are currently being restored and other are also planned in the future. I hope you enjoy your visit Archiseek and that we don't disappoint. Ask the locals when you get here, for their opinions too. They are quite friendly.

cheers... planning on adding fargo to the website

Paintballer1708
Jul 26, 2006, 3:47 PM
I was gonna say i thought that Fargo had a bigger population in its urban area than 150,000. Someone is the city-data forum said that FM area had about 150,000. This is what they said.

About Fargo and Bismarck....both are growing cities...in an area where overall rural population has been slowly declining. Lots of shopping, businesses, etc in both cities (as well as in Grand Forks and Minot too). Fargo is larger, with its entire metro area (including West Fargo and Moorhead MN) about a pop of 150,000....and Bismarck-Mandan having a pop of about 80,000 +/-.

Both cities are clean and have good public schools and new housing construction. Fargo is in the Red River Valley and is flat (same as Grand Forks) and we have typically very cold winters with frequent light snows and blowing snow...cold meaning average highs in January from zero to 15 above and lows 10 below to 30 below. But conditons are variable, and some winters have only very short cold periods....much even the warmest winter up here is much colder than winters in Bowling Green. Once it snows the snow is on the ground in Fargo area for the balance of the winter season (Dec 1-Mar 15) so snowmobiling and ice fishing are things a lot of people do in the Red River valley and northwest Minnesota. Now in Bismarck....they warm up to 32 or higher much more frequently (we call that area from Bismarck to Dickinson the banana belt) and snow cover is much less there...but they can get very cold too, but just less times.

The person was interested in moving to North Dakota from Bowling Green, KY. I guess the guy who wrote it was also from KY. Just wanted to clear that up. FM is around 170,000 then.

Archiseek
Jul 26, 2006, 4:01 PM
when i'm here, whats the nicest hotels in town?

NanoBison
Jul 26, 2006, 4:03 PM
The nicest hotels in town are in this order :

Hotel Donaldson
Ramada Plaza Suites
Radisson
Holiday Inn near the Mall

after that it's your normal typical hotel...

If you want to stay in a brand new hotel, you can stay at the Candle Wood Suites located in NDSU's Tech Park, but you sound like you want a nicer hotel.

Archiseek
Jul 26, 2006, 4:31 PM
thanks for that... looking forward to visiting your city

NanoBison
Jul 26, 2006, 4:59 PM
I drove by that development FMisthebest on 23rd Ave S and 25th St. It's advertised as available class A office space, so it will be quite nice. From the images of the it on the Billboard it will be a decent looking place. Right now, only the foundation is poured.

F-Misthebest
Jul 26, 2006, 5:50 PM
The nicest hotels in town are in this order :

Hotel Donaldson
Ramada Plaza Suites
Radisson
Holiday Inn near the Mall

after that it's your normal typical hotel...

If you want to stay in a brand new hotel, you can stay at the Candle Wood Suites located in NDSU's Tech Park, but you sound like you want a nicer hotel.

Don't forget Staybridge Suites and Homewood Suites. They are nice as well.

F-Misthebest
Jul 26, 2006, 5:53 PM
I was gonna say i thought that Fargo had a bigger population in its urban area than 150,000. Someone is the city-data forum said that FM area had about 150,000. This is what they said.

The person was interested in moving to North Dakota from Bowling Green, KY. I guess the guy who wrote it was also from KY. Just wanted to clear that up. FM is around 170,000 then.

The urban area is around 170,000 with the metro population around 215,000 (or 210,000). It was around 150,000 a long time ago. I don't no the exact year though. :rolleyes:

By the way Archiseek, you can visit www.fargomoorhead.org . It's the CVB's website. They don't have everything on the website, like all the restaurants, but it's a good website.

F-Misthebest
Jul 27, 2006, 6:20 AM
Here's a picture of Grand Forks and Fargo from Google Earth. I didn't relize how big Fargo-Moorhead is compared to Grand Forks, until I saw this picture.

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/2756/fargovsgrandforksmz7.jpg

I call it "Fargo vs. Grand Forks."

Paintballer1708
Jul 27, 2006, 5:05 PM
Ok the time is coming for me to head over to Fargo. I remember telling everyone that i was heading there in August. Im looking into flying over there. Driving through the plain states is quite boring and i dont want to go through that again, lol. Are there flights from Fargo to Pittsburgh Int'l? If not are there other places around here that i can fly out of? If not looks like i will be driving. Also what are some good areas to visit and good ideas for a hotel?

NanoBison
Jul 27, 2006, 5:55 PM
Hey Paintballer, you're best bet is to go the NWA or United route. Our direct flights are limited to :

Minneapolis (NWA)
Chicago (United)
Denver (United)
Salt Lake City (Delta)
Las Vegas (NWA, Allegiant)

So you would probably be making one stop, but shouldn't be more than that. In terms of Hotels :

More Luxurious------
Hotel Donaldson (Fargo Downtown)
Ramada Plaza Suites (Fargo, West Acres Mall Area)
Radisson (Fargo Downtown)

Slightly Higher End--
CourtYard by Marriott (Moorhead)
Holiday Inn (Fargo, West Acres Mall Area)

Normal Hotels-------
Candlewood Hotel (Fargo, NDSU Research Park (Just Opened))
Howard Johnson (Fargo, Downtown)

Here's a listing of all hotels in the area :

http://www.fargomoorhead.org/lodging/index.php?page=listing

You can also find all the restaurants listed on that site as well.

If you'd like some suggestions, let us know what you're interested in (American, Steak, Italian, etc...) and will point you in the right direction...

NanoBison
Jul 27, 2006, 6:13 PM
I think an issue that needs to be addressed for the Fargo-Moorhead area is another airline/direct flight so a better connection can be established for getting to the East Coast. We have the West Coast and Midwest Covered with our current offerings, but I think it would be great if we could get another flight into another hub, besides Minneapolis and Chicago. Perhaps Delta, which just recently started service, could pick up another flight to one of their hubs in Cincinatti or Atlanta...

Any thoughts???

:shrug:

F-Misthebest
Jul 27, 2006, 10:07 PM
I totally agree, Nano.

Paintballer1708
Jul 28, 2006, 4:15 AM
Thank you Nano, that really helps and gives me some ideas. Looks like i will be driving as i did some research and no direct flights out of Pittsburgh Int'l to Fargo. Oh well im not going to be driving through Kansas at least, lol. It would be great if Fargo could get some more hubs like Cincinnati with Delta and Cleveland with Continental and Pittsburgh with American Airlines. Im sure with how Fargo is moving economically, Fargo will get many expansions.

Reichert
Jul 28, 2006, 3:16 PM
I think if Delta does well enough with the Salt Lake to Fargo route I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a direct flight to Cincy. As the newer airlines have succeeded in Fargo they will figure out ways to get flights to other hubs of theirs. The exception would be Northwest...I think they feel that Minneapolis is so close to Fargo that running flights to another hub (Memphis, Detroit) would be counterproductive.

NanoBison
Jul 28, 2006, 5:26 PM
I agree, Reichert. If NWA was to open up a direct flight to one of their other hubs or another airport, it would only be in response to another airline doing so. Just like when they announced direct flights to Las Vegas after Allegiant started service. I see the additions coming through either United or Delta. It would be nice though if we could pick up another airline as well. Maybe American Airlines, Continental, or UsAir. Then again, alot of them participate in the SkyMiles/SkyAlliance Partnership with NWA. So I'm not sure if they are even allowed to start service in the same city as NWA. I think it would have to be a direct competitor of NWA and not a partner.

F-Misthebest
Jul 28, 2006, 6:21 PM
NEW URBAN PLAINS NEWS!!!!!!!!
On 45th Street South, Brandt has put up some new signs. Condos For Sale and Offices. Both signs have pictures of the condos and the new offices. It also has a new web address. www.upfargo.com

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/6118/undevelopedland5ys2.jpg

Also, the land that was for sale by Goldmark Schlossman I think is sold because they took down the sign that said "For Sale." I hope it is sold and they build something really great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can only imagine.

F-Misthebest
Jul 28, 2006, 6:34 PM
This www.upfargo.com is amazing. I'm so excited this is HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

NanoBison
Jul 29, 2006, 2:10 AM
I did see those new signs out there as well!!! Very excited to see that this is moving forward again. With all of this new development, we also have to make sure that our current Greater Fargo Moorhead Chamber of Commerce can continue to lure businesses here creating decent high paying jobs for the people who are interested in moving here to get away from the big cities, traffic, and crime...

Of course, new spin-off companies wouldn't hurt either (we don't need to lure every business here, we can start our own)...

:banana:

NanoBison
Jul 29, 2006, 2:15 AM
Another good news item I received today in my email was this :

North Dakota Shines in Science and Technology Output

The 2006 National Science Foundation report of science and engineering indicators shows that North Dakota ranks number two in university research dollars per $1,000 of gross state product (GSP). Maryland is #1 and Massachusetts is #3.

North Dakota now also ranks #4 – not 40th – in new technology companies as a percentage of total business startups.

That's good news for the state and the FM region, considering alot of that action is coming from the Valley and Metro Area.

NanoBison
Jul 29, 2006, 2:50 AM
I just noticed that the Greater Fargo Moorhead Chamber of Commerce has a new website as well. Check it out, it's pretty spiffy.

http://www.fedc.com/

I think I might buy a digital camera next week (pick up one of those $100 cameras from Best Buy), so I can put some photos up here. Otherwise our wonderful audience has nothing to look at!!!

Buy the way, Alien Technologies looks like it is pretty much complete. I'll be happy when I see a parking lot full of cars (that belong to Engineers, Mathematicians, and Chemists who are making $50,000+/year).

SmileyBoy
Jul 29, 2006, 5:28 AM
I'm probably not gonna put this in my blog, because it might or might not be huge news, but I was driving down 13th Avenue in West Fargo just west of the Pioneer Center, and this huge chunk of land:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/FargoSatellite1-1.jpg

Has a couple rows of surveying sticks around the middle, and a huge swath of land inside the periniter of the sticks has been plowed into dirt. This is a commercial zone. Goldmark/Schlossman is the developer for this land. I think this might be something really big-time.

SmileyBoy
Jul 29, 2006, 5:34 AM
Also, I saw that new office thingaroo taking shape by 25th and 23rd. I think they could've used a better design, but what the hell, I'll take it.

F-Misthebest
Jul 29, 2006, 6:11 AM
I like the design. I think it's neat. By the way did you go to www.upfargo.com ? I've read everything on it. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F-Misthebest
Jul 29, 2006, 6:19 AM
I'm probably not gonna put this in my blog, because it might or might not be huge news, but I was driving down 13th Avenue in West Fargo just west of the Pioneer Center, and this huge chunk of land:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/FargoSatellite1-1.jpg

Has a couple rows of surveying sticks around the middle, and a huge swath of land inside the periniter of the sticks has been plowed into dirt. This is a commercial zone. Goldmark/Schlossman is the developer for this land. I think this might be something really big-time.

I do wonder what they will put there. It's a great location. I mean 13th and 9th. That's pretty good. I hope it's a nice department store like Bulington Coat Factory. I won't be though cause it's right next to houses. Hmmmmmmm? I wonder.

I think Fargo and West Fargo should merge. The population would get bigger and visitors won't get confused by the road numbers. You're on 45th Street heading west and BAM 1st Street, 9th Street? What the heck is this. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I've gotten to visit here, ask "What happend with the street numbers? They were big numbers then small. What happened?" Okay that's not the exact question but it sums it up pretty well. :D

SmileyBoy
Jul 29, 2006, 6:44 AM
I do wonder what they will put there. It's a great location. I mean 13th and 9th. That's pretty good. I hope it's a nice department store like Bulington Coat Factory. I won't be though cause it's right next to houses. Hmmmmmmm? I wonder.

I think Fargo and West Fargo should merge. The population would get bigger and visitors won't get confused by the road numbers. You're on 45th Street heading west and BAM 1st Street, 9th Street? What the heck is this. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I've gotten to visit here, ask "What happend with the street numbers? They were big numbers then small. What happened?" Okay that's not the exact question but it sums it up pretty well. :D

Burlington Coat factory is almost finished on the corner of 13th and 43 1/2th, remember??:D It'll be opening soon.

And I agree on the cities merging. There would be no more development disputes, and the city would grow westward into a less oblong shape.

F-Misthebest
Jul 29, 2006, 8:12 PM
I know Burlington Coat Factory is being built. That's why I said like Burlington Coat Factory not build it. I'm so excited about about Urban Plains. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NanoBison
Jul 30, 2006, 6:16 AM
Hey Guys, since the name Goldmark/Schlossman was mentioned I traveled over to their website and noticed that the Manchester Building has ALOT of vacanies, most likely due to the fact that University, up to the train underpass is out of comission right now. I found a picture of the building on their site and I've always wondered what the heck the builder was thinking when they built it. Here's an image for those who don't know what I'm talking about, or are not from this area.

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9021/manchesterbuildingcm0.jpg

Anyways, when I look at it, I get the sense that the original construction on this building didn't really have a final goal. It looks more or less a mishmash of ideas and floor layouts that lead to a dull building. I won't go as far, as to say this is an ugly building, but I will say it's not beautiful. Here's the area of downtown it's in :

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/6704/manchesterbuildingareage8.jpg

If you look at it the diagram, the purple area is where the Manchester building is situated along University Avenue. Plenty of vehicles drive down that one-way every day (25,000-30,000). The green area is a broke down car repair shop that is run, from what I've heard, a single individual, who does fricking awesome/dependable work, but could care less what his property looks like. Hence why you'll see beat up cars in front crowding his drive up area.

The blue area holds a gas station, with gas about 10 cents above everyone else in town. I've NEVER seen anyone fill up there. Here's the reason : That station is also a tow truck company and happens to be the City of Fargo's perfered tow truck company. Anytime a vehicle is impounded by the city, they are the ones who get it. (I know from a friends experience). Further south is a bunch of rundown shops that I have no idea what they do. Probably becuase their buildings were so bland it didn't draw my interest.

The red area to the North of the Manchester building is a giant parking lot, presumably for the Manchester building. To the west of that is a computer supply shop. Not the kind you would expect. It's a place to go to get an old style IBM keyboard, or old-school 5.25" floppy drive (yes people apparently still use them). Anyways they charge outrageous prices, so I'm not to keen on that business.

Finally the two yellow areas are just shops and tiny little homes, getting near what I consider a rougher part of Fargo. I'll drive by one day and take a picture so you know what I mean. Anyways, they could probably be bulldozed once the tenants and occupants were fairly compensated.

What would look good where the Manchester building is? I think a 8-10 storey building mixing office and condos would work perfectly. The train whistles wouldn't be a problem due to the underpass and newly enacted quite areas. Make it glass and put the parking in the back of the building, like on the yellow square. Here's what I'm thinking :

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/8746/manchesterbuildingareadekf4.jpg

This is the type of development I'd like to see more of downtown. Create more prominent buildings that actually can serve as a company's headquarters and be respected and loved by citizens in the Metropolitan area. With developments like that, the areas around them would take off as well.

Special Note : This is merely a suggestion (I pulled the images of the Multiband Tower, Farmers Credit Bureau and another building from the West Acres business park). Just to spur ideas and thoughts...

p.s. I've got my digital camera now. I'll try to capture images of developments if I spot them when I'm out and about...

SmileyBoy
Jul 30, 2006, 7:08 AM
Think more "New Urbanist", NanoBison. There's too much parking and wasted space when using the ideas of Multiband, AgCountry, etc. The "tower in the park" school of architecture is essentially dead, and for good reason. Howzabout maybe instead take something like Woodhaven Plaza (I have no goddamned idea why they didn't build that thing downtown in the first place) and plop it onto the biggest chunk of land. Also, maybe have a 10-storey or so condo/office tower on the smaller block of land, but taking up the whole space. Then build some sort of new-urban ist retail with underground parking on the other spots of land.

I will say that that certain part of the city definitely needs a pick-me-up.

F-Misthebest
Jul 30, 2006, 6:32 PM
Thank you Smiley, and congratualations on your 1000th post. :D I really think we need some new, taller, grander, buildings in downtown. I think a Woodhaven Plaza idea would do very very well downtown. Have a cafe (sandwiches), coffee shop(Starbuck's), and a small business. I want some banks to locate their headquarters for the state downtown. I want some mid to high-rise buildings in downtown soooooooooooooo bad.

NanoBison
Jul 30, 2006, 6:37 PM
Hey Smiley, yeah I agree 100%. The only reason I used the plats from the West Acres Business Park, I because I lack skills (Napolean Dynamite reference). Architectural skills. I can only do Photoshop...

If they do build larger developments downtown, they should ALL have underground parking. That way, people wouldn't get the opportunity to complain about walking outside. Imrpove the skyway system so they can get from building to building and Volia!

I guess the above was more or less, "what part of downtown do I think needs MAJOR work". That would be what I posted above...

Hopefully I'll get some photos up here pretty soon. (Today it's too damn hot to go outside...)