PDA

View Full Version : Fargo-Moorhead developments information

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

SmileyBoy
Jul 11, 2007, 3:02 AM
Looks like another result of WF's booming population...

W.F. considers new middle school
Helmut Schmidt, The Forum
Published Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The West Fargo School Board is considering building at least one new school by 2010 to handle growing enrollment.

Board members and school administrators said Monday that a middle school looks to be the greatest need, but offering all-day kindergarten next year would also require a long-term solution that could mean an addition to the current kindergarten center, additions to elementary schools or a second new kindergarten center.

A less likely need – unless enrollment projections change greatly – is for another elementary school, district officials said.

The board’s Planning and Development Committee meeting at 5 p.m. Wednesday at the Leidal Education Center will become a committee of the whole because several board members said they will attend.

The 2006-07 school year opened with nearly 6,000 students. Business Manager Mark Lemer said enrollment projections from four models put enrollment in 2010-11 at 6,900 to 7,200.

Two new schools built to handle growth in the district open this fall. Aurora Elementary and Sheyenne Ninth Grade Center are both south of Interstate 94.

Superintendent Dana Diesel Wallace said Cheney Middle School was built to handle 1,500 students, but it’s at 1,375. Now “it’s feeling tight.”

Elementary-grade class sizes have ballooned from 460 to 500 students, Diesel Wallace said.

With continued growth at that level over the next three years, Cheney “would definitely be overflowing,” Board President Duane Hanson said.

Land for a middle school would have to be purchased and a bond issue put before voters for any building projects early next year to have facilities built by 2010, officials said.

The prospect of getting state funding for all-day kindergarten in the 2008-09 school year gives the district a chance to offer the program to all families. However, if only 85 percent of parents opt into the program, at least 10 classrooms will be needed.

In the short term, those students can be accommodated by extra space in Aurora and Westside elementaries, Diesel Wallace said, but a long-term site or sites would be needed if growth continues throughout the system.

Greco Roman
Jul 11, 2007, 3:46 AM
So how is the tourism in terms of visiting Canadians this year? I would imagine since our dollars is now pretty much worth just as much as the American dollar, that far fewer Canadians are visiting Grand Forks/Fargo/Minneapolis this year.

Just curious :)

NanoBison
Jul 11, 2007, 4:09 AM
So how is the tourism in terms of visiting Canadians this year? I would imagine since our dollars is now pretty much worth just as much as the American dollar, that far fewer Canadians are visiting Grand Forks/Fargo/Minneapolis this year.

I still see more than enough plates from Saskatchewan & Manitoba. I've been seeing more plates though from Texas, Florida, Tennessee, Ohio, and Arizona. Of course that would coincide with the Athletic camps at NDSU recently.

NanoBison
Jul 11, 2007, 4:19 AM
I thought that the projects on 12th Street (across from the University) would have broken ground by now. Anyone know why there hasn't been activity there?:shrug:

I know you just announced the two 12 Ave. buildings being demolished. I also saw that today. They didn't waste time bringing those eyesores down.

Also saw initial framework going up for the adjacent LLC (Living,Learning Center) on the west side of NDSU. Looks like it's being built right across from the other one...(got to keep filling the need for an increase in student housing needs). The student wellness center looks like it's close to finished. I've also heard whispers (this is very preliminary) of an announcement of a 3rd NDSU building in the research and technology park. I'm not exactly positive on where that is just yet.

Hopefully buy the end of the month, or beginning of August, work will start on the Microsoft campus expansion. That alone is $90 million. That's more than Innovis Hospital when it was built (I think it was ~$60 million). It'll be very cool to see that campus grow and of course the addition of hundreds of jobs over the next several years. With Microsoft continuing to grow, Fargo's campus will too.

Other than that, lots of houses, apartment buildings, townhomes under construction. Mexican Village is going up in the Urban Plains development and I think so is Taco Bell. If I'm not mistaken, they just recently also broke ground on the UP Center (Hockey Arena). That's another ~$40 million to the total. Man this year is going to be busy, it's just unfortunate, it's all starting so late in the year.

On a side note, we should know in the next several months, if there will be an addition to the Fargodome for Basketball and to host mid-sized events.

If I get some time, I'll go around town and take some pictures....

:tup:

F-Misthebest
Jul 11, 2007, 3:56 PM
On 45th Street down almost near 52nd they are building some other shopping center. It's called The Mercantile and it's slogan thingy is "come through the arch" I think it might be an arch with a strip mall behind it but who knows it might be a higher end center. Also in Moorhead, the Mallard Creek Commons broke ground and are starting to build. RDO near the interstate 29 and 32nd Avenue south looks to be finished as well as U-Motors in the same area. As Nano said, too bad all of this is happening so late in the year.

Here's a rendering of Mallard Creek Commons: http://www.goldmark.com/commercial/display.asp?propid=354

Doc
Jul 11, 2007, 3:59 PM
I have been in the fitness center and have poked around a bit. It is more finished on the outside than in right now (in fact, they said that the strength training facilities would be open by Sunday, but they are still not finished). The new rock climbing wall (more of a room, really) looks pretty sweet, and the indoor track feels a bit longer than the 1/12 of a mile track in the other facilities. The roller hockey rink and basketball courts should be pretty nice once they are finished. The locker rooms are open, and are much bigger and nicer as well.:tup:

SmileyBoy
Jul 11, 2007, 5:01 PM
That new Roers development on 19th and N University (next to Pizza Hut) is starting to rise above ground too. They're already building the new Tesoro/Stop-n-Go station on the site.

I think with all the new huge projects going on, F-M area construction permits may exceed $600 million for 2007.

Greco Roman
Jul 11, 2007, 5:09 PM
I still see more than enough plates from Saskatchewan & Manitoba. I've been seeing more plates though from Texas, Florida, Tennessee, Ohio, and Arizona. Of course that would coincide with the Athletic camps at NDSU recently.

More than enough???????????????????????????

You don't like Canadians? :shrug:

SmileyBoy
Jul 11, 2007, 6:03 PM

I can't speak for NanoBison, but I like seeing all of the Manitoba license plates at the Gordman's parking lot on weekends. Probably 60-70 percent of the cars in that parking lot are Manitoba plates. I was there a couple weekends ago, and I was amazed.

Doc
Jul 11, 2007, 6:41 PM
Plenty, more-than-enough, lots, piles. Pick your descriptor. We've got Canadians. If you want to send more, please feel free.

NanoBison
Jul 11, 2007, 11:45 PM

I apologize if that's how you took that comment. Should have worded it better. I see plenty of Canadian plates and I love it! You guys help the local economy when you shop down here. As said earlier, send more if you've got em!

NanoBison
Jul 11, 2007, 11:49 PM
By the way, is anyone absolutely pissed they are probably going to convert NP and 1st to two-ways streets again?

F-Misthebest
Jul 12, 2007, 3:51 PM
I am. Turning those one ways in to two way streets in my opinion is just not a good idea.

Anyways...

Hector frontage road proposal ‘a shock’
Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Thursday, July 12, 2007

A lull in the land-use battle between landowners Fred and Earlyne Hector and south Fargo homeowners ended abruptly Wednesday when the city engineer unveiled a frontage road route that could lead to more retail at Interstate 29 and 52nd Avenue.

The proposed alignment of the 36th Street frontage road would leave the Hectors with a 50-acre parcel between the road and 52nd Avenue South.

That’s double the 25 acres of commercial use the City Commission approved June 18 in the city’s long-range growth plan for the northeast corner of the interchange.

City Planning Director Jim Gilmour said that the frontage road alignment doesn’t dictate how the land will be zoned.

However, “It makes a stronger case for it being commercial with the frontage road there,” he said.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5600/crazyhectorrw0.jpg

No neighborhood residents were present at the Fargo Planning Commission meeting Wednesday when City Engineer Mark Bittner presented the frontage road plan. The informational item was added to the agenda at the start of the meeting.

Bittner said the frontage road alignment was recommended late Tuesday during a meeting of the city’s Public Works Projects Evaluation Committee. Those meetings are not open to the public, but representatives of the Hectors were present, he said.

Jon Strinden, who lives in the Meadow Creek neighborhood east of the Hector land, reacted with surprise upon hearing about the proposal.

“I thought the decision was made that it was not going to exceed 25 acres,” he said.

“It’s a shock,” said Coulee’s Crossing resident Nola McNeally, who called the plan “not even remotely consistent” with what residents thought had been approved.

The City Commission will consider the committee’s recommendation on Monday.

“It’s almost as though we need to rally the troops, and it’s incumbent upon everybody to be there again,” McNeally said.

Before the June 18 vote, City Commissioner Linda Coates had asked how the 25 acres of commercial use would affect the frontage road alignment, but Bittner didn’t have an answer at the time.

Now that city engineers see the layout, Bittner said they don’t like it for two reasons:

- The frontage road wouldn’t line up with the proposed 38th Street frontage road west of I-29, which would make it far more difficult and costly to install sewer and water lines under I-29.

- The 25-acre plan shows the frontage road connecting to the future 31st Street, which would bring unwanted traffic through the neighborhoods to the commercial area.

Bittner said commissioners need to decide the frontage road alignment soon because the state Department of Transportation must acquire the right of way by early September to avoid delaying a Nov. 17 bid opening for the interchange rebuilding and 52nd Avenue widening project.

The project will require 400,000 to 500,000 cubic yards of fill, and Bittner proposed using dirt from the north half of the Hector parcel and an adjacent parcel owned by the Fargo School District. The leftover hole could become a lake that would buffer the neighborhoods from the retail area while also providing water retention as a means of flood control, he said.

Jonathan Garaas, an attorney representing the Hectors, said they would be willing to sell land for the lake. As for residents’ concerns that additional commercial space could allow for a big-box retailer, he said the 25 acres is already enough for a big-box store.

In addition to the frontage road location, the commission on Monday will hear three requests from the Hectors.

One request is to de-annex the 118-acre parcel northeast of I-29 and 52nd Avenue.

The other two are growth plan and zoning requests to increase the amount of commercial acreage north of 52nd Avenue on both sides of I-29. The Planning Commission has recommended denial of both requests.

“The whole thing’s frustrating for the neighborhoods, because it’s going three different directions at once,” Gilmour said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Mike Nowatzki at (701) 241-5528

BigTicket
Jul 13, 2007, 1:01 AM

Definately more Canadians in Fargo, I see Manitoba plates all over the place. I also heard on the radio today that travel into ND from Canada is up 4% this year so I guess that kind of confirms what I was seeing while driving around town. Apparently Canadians also spend $200 per person a day while visiting Fargo.

NanoBison
Jul 13, 2007, 1:34 AM
On the forum article titled " Hector frontage road proposal ‘a shock’ ", I just have no apathy for the individuals around that area. First off, it's the quadrant of an interstate interchange. Hence, it's going to be busy no matter what. Second of all, where do you think retailers like to locate? High traffic areas. 52nd is already marked as a major artery in the city and I've already heard plans to make it 6 lanes. Currently it's under consideration for 4-laning. Why would you build a house right next to the interstate interchange? What did you think was going to go there? A playground?

Think people. Think!

To all those living in that part of town that didn't see this coming :gtfo2:

jwmn
Jul 13, 2007, 4:20 PM
On the forum article titled " Hector frontage road proposal ‘a shock’ ", I just have no apathy for the individuals around that area. First off, it's the quadrant of an interstate interchange. Hence, it's going to be busy no matter what. Second of all, where do you think retailers like to locate? High traffic areas.
I agree. I was initially sympathetic toward the homeowners in this area, but the more I hear about this dispute the more I change my mind. We should expect there to be a significant amount of commercial development at an interstate interchange.

Also, regarding NP and 1st Ave, I drive on those streets every day to and from work, and I really don't like the idea of converting them to two-ways. These streets do a good job of moving traffic as they are right now, and I feel like the proponents of converting them are really overstating the benefits of such a conversion.

jwmn
Jul 13, 2007, 5:04 PM
There's a pretty good Forum editorial in today's paper about this Hector land dispute:
http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/171572

Here's a few quotes:
"It seems that no matter how the development plan is modified to accommodate concerns of nearby residential neighborhoods, it’s not enough...

"Anyone in that area who did not comprehend the area would be commercially developed was either under a rock or engaged in rosy-glow wishful thinking...

"If the neighbors are peeved with the change, they might want to bring their objections to the School Board. Once the school option was gone, it was reasonable to expect the land use plan would be modified...

"What it seems to come down to is that some folks in the adjacent neighborhoods want to scuttle any sort of commercial development on the land. They apparently like the view of the Hectors’ farmland from their back porches and decks.

"Well, it’s the Hectors’ land. They have private property rights which include pursuit of reasonable development within the strictures of city zoning and planning regulations. They have done exactly that and more. For their trouble they’ve been jerked around by the city’s Planning Commission and city commissioners."

Doc
Jul 13, 2007, 7:21 PM
I would like to see more detailed analysis of how the conversion would help downtown. Fargo has, by far, the shortest commuting time of any place I have ever lived, so I'm not entirely sympathetic to the commuting argument. Still, I would like to see more detailed analysis about how it would help (or not) downtown.

What is most baffling to me is why this is being talked about in isolation. Since there are a whole lot of interrelated possible changes (closing one set of RR tracks, creating a bike path where the tracks might be removed, new bus routes, etc.), there is no reason to keep this a "lose the fast lane vs. spend more money downtown" argument. That will probably alienate MORE people.:(

rrskylar
Jul 14, 2007, 4:24 AM

Just noticed this dumbass comment, so the Canadian dollar (.95US) is worth more against the US dollar and less Canadians will travel to the US, actually the opposite is true, I know quite a few people who are planning trips to Mpls/St.P for the first time in years.

F-Misthebest
Jul 17, 2007, 8:41 PM
Nothin to huge in town, more strip malls and businesses.

F-Misthebest
Jul 18, 2007, 6:18 PM
The Urban Plains Arena has broken ground and the pictures look great.

F-Misthebest
Jul 19, 2007, 7:49 AM
To answer your question about "new moorhead college"...

Aakers breaks ground
Amy Dalrymple, The Forum
Published Thursday, July 19, 2007

Aakers College will break ground today on a new Moorhead campus.

The 12,000-square-foot facility will open in January adjacent to Interstate 94 and Eighth Street South north of Safari 7 movie theater.

It will house health-related classrooms and labs and initially serve a minimum of 75 students.

Moorhead Mayor Mark Voxland said he’s excited about the new campus that will give students more options.

“I think it’s going to add another positive dimension for the higher education opportunities we have in Moorhead,” Voxland said.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8445/0719aakersrenderingsm1.jpg

Betty Largent, director of the Fargo and Moorhead Aakers campuses, said students will take general courses at the Fargo site and go to Moorhead for the specialty classes.

Officials can’t yet announce what specific programs the facility will offer because they’re awaiting final approval, Largent said.

The two-year programs will be in the allied health field and will meet the needs of employers and students in Fargo-Moorhead, Largent said.

She doesn’t believe the programs will duplicate what other area campuses offer.

“I think they’ll be unique to the area,” Largent said.

Aakers announced in February it would break ground on the Moorhead campus in May and open by this fall.

Largent said wet weather this spring delayed construction. The building should be complete by December, with the first classes starting Jan. 2, she said.

Aakers College recently merged with Rasmussen College and will eventually change its name to Rasmussen.

Aakers also became regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, the same entity that accredits other regional universities.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Amy Dalrymple at (701) 241-5590

Doc
Jul 23, 2007, 2:16 PM
The Pita Pit is open on Broadway. I also stopped in to eat at Silver Spoon (where the old Santa Lucia was). It is a really decent fine dining place with a very deep menu.:tup:

F-Misthebest
Jul 23, 2007, 8:47 PM
Riverside condos may be ready soon
J. Shane Mercer, The Forum
Published Saturday, July 21, 2007

The developer of 31 new condominiums in the downtown Moorhead redevelopment project expects the first units to be ready in 60 to 90 days.

Riverside Market and Lofts is being built on the northwest quadrant of the intersection of Main Avenue and Fourth Street and will house nine units, said Kevin Bartram, who heads up Sterling Development Group and MBA Architects.

The other 22 condos – part of Riverfront Condominiums –are slated to be built on the south side of Main Avenue near the river. Bartram wanted to break ground on the condos by June, but said that’s on hold for some minor cleanup on the site and until some units are presold.

Both condominium complexes are part of the multimillion-dollar facelift of Moorhead’s downtown. That overall project has been in the works since the initial planning began in 1999.

Bartram said there is already a list of people who have expressed interest in the Riverfront condos.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6857/0720riverfrontcondosoc0.jpg
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/9868/arialtc6.jpg

“Honestly, we haven’t marketed (the Riverfront condos) at all,” Bartram said.

Sterling Development wants to presell about one-third of the units before breaking ground, Bartram said, but that’s not a firm figure.

As for the cleanup, Bartram said there “is some testing and reporting that has to be done because it was part of a larger cleanup.” He said there are no major issues at this point.

Bartram still hopes to break ground on the Riverfront Condominiums this fall, but there is no firm timeline.

The Riverside units are expected to sell for between $175,000 and $350,000, he said. They are designed to be in “more of a downtown style,” with exposed interior brick and heavy timber.

Riverfront condos are expected to sell for between $175,000 and $500,000, though most will be in the $250,000 to $350,000 range, Bartram said.

Moorhead City Councilman and Planning Commissioner John Rowell said the condos are important to downtown development “because, as the maxim goes, ‘Good retail follows roofs.’ ”

The more people that are in or near downtown, the better the chance for retail success in that area, he said.

“We’re trying to make downtown a center of higher-density diversity,” said Peter Doll, Moorhead manager of development services. “Downtown is a place for anybody and everybody to live or play.”

Readers can reach Forum reporter Shane Mercer at (701) 451-5734

F-Misthebest
Jul 23, 2007, 8:48 PM
Restaurant to keep historic corner alive
J. Shane Mercer, The Forum
Published Saturday, July 21, 2007

It’s been more than four years in coming, but after much speculation and anticipation, the historic Kassenborg Block building in Moorhead will soon be home to the city’s newest restaurant and bar.

Juan Mondragon looks to open John Alexander’s on the east corner of the building by late August if not sooner, he said. The restaurant and bar, which is named after his son, will serve “American classic cuisine.” That includes everything from BLTs and burgers to high-end seafood and steaks.

It will be “an upscale restaurant that would be successful in New York or the Twin Cities or the West Coast,” Mondragon said.

A chef will be on staff, and everything is made from scratch, said Annele, Juan’s wife and co-owner of the restaurant.

Prices for dinner will range from $7 to $10 at the low end up to $20 to $30.

The Mondragons are aiming to attract a wide clientele. It’s not just a place for “a business man or college professor,” but also college students and “blue-collar” workers, Juan said.

“It’s going to be an upscale restaurant/bar but also where you can buy a great hamburger for a great price,” he said.

Mondragon and his wife Annele also own the Juano’s Mexican Restaurants in the Fargo-Moorhead area, including the one in the Kassenborg.

The Moorhead City Council voted to purchase the Kassenborg building in 2004 as part of its multi-million-dollar downtown redevelopment. That project has been in the works since it came under study in 1999.

Acting City Manager Michael Redlinger said the commercial development of the Kassenborg is a sign that the market is confirming the city’s downtown redevelopment.

“It’s really nice to see the private sector embrace this area as well and say, ‘We can be successful here,’ ” Redlinger said.

In fact, the redevelopment of the downtown is a primary reason that the Mondragons are attracted to that area.

We want to be in a “historical setting,” Annele said. “I think we’re taking a corner that has always been important to Fargo and Moorhead and we’ve given it a rebirth.”

The Kassenborg was built in 1898 and has been a dry goods store, a candy shop, a grocery store and, in more recent years, Kirby’s bar.

“It’s neat just because it tells the story of a developing and evolving Moorhead over the course of decades and decades,” Redlinger said. “It’s a connection to the past, but now it’s a connection to the future.”

In addition to opening John Alexander’s, the Mondragons are expanding their Juano’s restaurant in the Kassenborg, adding a Latin bar as part of the current restaurant. Juan said the bar will feature both Latin drinks and standard alcoholic beverages. The addition will more than double the seating capacity in Juano’s.

That expansion should be ready for business in “just a matter of a couple of weeks I would think,” Juan said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Shane Mercer at (701) 451-5734

F-Misthebest
Jul 25, 2007, 5:38 AM
The new Fargo library is getting a green roof. Thought you should know?

Doc
Jul 25, 2007, 6:23 PM
With plants on top, like the Sky Prairie Restaurant?

F-Misthebest
Jul 25, 2007, 6:52 PM
New Fargo library to get ‘green roof’
Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Thursday, July 19, 2007

Fargo’s new downtown library will feature an environmentally friendly “green roof” on the canopies above its east and west entrances, the library’s building committee decided Wednesday.

Members unanimously approved adding the $24,900 planted roof system as an alternate bid to the base construction bids.

Library officials initially hoped to cover a larger portion of the building with green roof, which is vegetation planted on top of a waterproof membrane.

But plans were scaled back when construction bids arrived more than $3 million over budget in February.

The smaller green roof will be on the first-floor canopies so library users on the second floor will be able to view the vegetation through the building’s storefront window system, architect Richard Moorhead said.

“If people can see it, then I think that creates public awareness,” said Mike Allmendinger, a landscape architect who helped design the Hotel Donaldson’s green roof in downtown Fargo.

Proponents say green roofs save on energy costs, filter and reduce storm-water runoff and reduce air pollution and urban heating.

With the green roof cost included, construction bids for the library total $8.4 million, or about $900,000 less than the bid target of $9.3 million.

However, City Administrator Pat Zavoral noted that the budget for the city’s three new libraries includes $3 million in private donations, and the public phase of the fundraising campaign won’t start until September. About $1.6 million has been raised so far, said Beth Postema, interim library director. Bids also are still out for furnishings and equipment at the Dr. James Carlson Library in south Fargo.

“We don’t have an extra million dollars lying around to play with,” said City Commissioner Linda Coates, the committee’s chairwoman.

Members also approved a rubber roof and chose a reddish-brown exterior brick for the new 52,400-square-foot downtown library. It will be built in place of the existing library at 102 3rd St. N.

Interior demolition has begun on the existing library, and exterior demolition is scheduled to start Aug. 1 or sooner, Postema said.

A groundbreaking ceremony is tentatively scheduled for September. The new library is expected be completed in late 2008.

F-Misthebest
Jul 26, 2007, 6:00 AM
Pressure’s on city planners
Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Las Vegas businessman behind a proposed upscale development in south Fargo told city planners Wednesday that it’s up to them to make sure Wal-Mart meets the same design standards as the rest of the development.

Larry Scheffler met with the Planning Commission and city planning staff to discuss proposed design standards for the first 110 acres of The District, his 277-acre development southwest of Interstate 29 and 52nd Avenue South.

Wal-Mart has a purchase agreement with Scheffler for land to support a supercenter.

The retailer recently gave city planners a site plan that is separate from the written design standards Scheffler crafted with city planners. The written standards would be enforced through the city’s zoning ordinance.

Planning Commission Chairman John Q. Paulsen said he wants Wal-Mart’s 23-acre site to maintain the same standards as the rest of The District.

“The only people who can really hold their feet to the fire are this commission,” Scheffler said.

Darcy Winter, the real estate agent working for Wal-Mart on the project, said the written design standards are necessary only because Scheffler doesn’t have a site plan for the rest of The District.

“We could have certainly been part of that amenities plan, but we said look, we already know what we want to build, so let’s give the city some comfort,” she said.

Winter said Wal-Mart’s plan meets or exceeds the proposed written standards, a statement echoed by Scheffler and city planning staff.

The design standards set specific rules for building materials, signs, landscaping, parking, ponds and architectural features such as balconies and canopies.

In the past, some Fargo developers and sign companies have objected to the limits imposed by design standards. But Scheffler said he believes the standards will benefit his development.

“It’s going to sell The District to more merchants that want to come in there. I think they want a higher-end, better-looking project,” he said.

Alan Dostert of EAPC Architects & Engineers in Fargo, who developed the design standards for Scheffler, said they will give The District a cohesiveness and sense of place that will improve the experience for pedestrians, drivers and residents.

The Wal-Mart Supercenter will have a brick-style fa?ade and landscaped walkways in the parking lot leading up to the store’s main doors.

Fargo Senior Planner Jim Hinderaker said a final draft of the design standards will be presented to the Planning Commission on Aug. 8. If recommended for approval, the standards and a plat will go to the City Commission.

Winter said construction on the Wal-Mart store will coincide with the widening of 52nd Avenue South, now scheduled for next year.

Public input meeting set on 52nd Ave. S.

The city of Fargo wants to hear what residents think about plans to widen 52nd Avenue South and 45th Street South, City Engineer Mark Bittner said.

A public input meeting will be 5 to 7 p.m. Aug. 2 at Kennedy Elementary School, 4401 42nd St. S.

Next year the city plans to widen the current two-lane 52nd Avenue South to six lanes between 31st and 42nd streets and to four lanes between University Drive and 31st Street and between 42nd and 45th streets.

The city plans to widen 45th Street South from two lanes to four lanes between 32nd and 52nd avenues in 2009.

U.S. Rep. Earl Pomeroy, D-N.D., announced Tuesday that a House bill includes $500,000 for reconstruction of the I-29 and 52nd Avenue interchange.

WLF
Jul 26, 2007, 3:46 PM
anyone have any suggestions who I can contact to get a crew of steel stud framers in Fargo, ND or the surrounding areas? thank.s

BigTicket
Jul 27, 2007, 3:09 AM
anyone have any suggestions who I can contact to get a crew of steel stud framers in Fargo, ND or the surrounding areas? thank.s

Roers Construction....

http://www.roers.com/rci/

F-Misthebest
Jul 27, 2007, 1:42 PM
Changing the look
Tracy Frank, The Forum
Published Friday, July 27, 2007

A couple of projects are under way that will revamp the look and feel of 12th Avenue North in Fargo just south of North Dakota State University.

Homes that have been converted into rental units are being demolished to make way for mixed residential and retail facilities.

Construction is expected to start Monday on a three-story building with two floors of apartments and one floor of retail at 1142 17th St. N.

The facility will have 7,000 square feet of commercial space on the first floor. A retaining wall, rail and old-fashioned street lamps will surround an outdoor patio.

“It’s very pedestrian friendly,” said Jerry Feder, project owner.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/3027/48625461yp3.jpg
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/2241/072717thstreetbwrendvf5.jpg

The building will likely house two food service businesses and two to three other businesses that include a sun tanning salon, a cell phone store or a beauty salon, said Matt Durbin, a sales agent with Konrad Olson Commercial Real Estate.

“There are some dollars being left on the table when it comes to food sales,” he said. “There’s a market. The students are going other places to spend money on services they need.”

The top two floors will be filled by 12 apartments ranging from one-bedroom units to three-bedroom, two-bath units with heat paid.

Feder said north Fargo needs newer housing.

“With the tremendous expansion of NDSU, the tech park, supported by the city, county, state and NDSU, I think there’s going to be tremendous growth in that area of town,” he said.

The complex replaces four buildings with nine rental units.

Feder said there will be plenty of parking. Nine garages will be available for rental. Tenants will also be able to rent space in an NDSU parking lot.

Commercial tenants will likely be able to start moving in in February. The building may be ready for apartment occupancy in May or June.

“I’ve been thinking about it and working on it for four years, so I’m excited,” Feder said.

Just a few blocks west of the Feder Properties development, another combination of retail and apartment complex is being constructed.

Roger Gilbertson, owner of FM City Development, is building a three-story facility at 1414 12th Ave. N.

The main floor will be commercial. Tenants so far include Moe’s Southwest Grill and Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwich Shop.

“We’d like to have a coffee shop as well,” Gilbertson said.

South Campus Plaza replaces two houses and the lot that was between them. One of the houses had five rental units. The other was a single-family home.

“It’s just nice to see some of those blight properties down, and knowing that something nice and providing good service for NDSU and the rest of the community I think is going to be a great addition,” Gilbertson said.

The second two floors will house 14 three-bedroom, one-bath apartment units with washing machines and dryers.

The facility will be built with a brick fa?ade to match the architecture on campus. A large sidewalk on the east side of the property will provide a better walkway for students and staff to campus, Gilbertson said.

“Hopefully, those amenities on the main floor will be a nice addition to the NDSU area and the community,” he said.

Construction is expected to start in the next 10 days. Gilbertson hopes to open in January.

“Those are all creating a college or campus environment,” Prakash Matthew, NDSU dean of student affairs, said of the new facilities. “That goes with the ambiance of the university.”

NDSU can only house about 30 percent of its students on campus, Matthew said, estimating 80 percent of the students who live off campus live outside of north Fargo and commute to campus.

“Because the growth has been on the south side of Fargo, that’s where the apartments have been built,” he said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Tracy Frank at (701) 241-5526

Doc
Jul 27, 2007, 10:53 PM
I REALLY hope that a coffee place moves in to the new development on 12th. A Starbucks (or an Atomic Coffee) would be a huge step up from the coffee that is served on campus now.:(

SmileyBoy
Jul 28, 2007, 1:55 AM
It's good to see properties being developed on 12th Ave. North next to campus. If a couple more buildings can be bought out, then the development can stretch to the Loaf -n- Jug/Bison Turf/Post Office/Alumni Center setup along University Drive. Hopefully with the new streetwork done on 12th Ave. North, there can be new streetlights with hanging banners saying "NDSU" alongside the development. NDSU could then create a true "Campustown". Hopefully like a small version of what Iowa State has. Here's a map I drew of what I think could happen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/Campustown.jpg

As you can see, with the expansion of the visitors lot on campus and the eventual new construction of another lot or a parking ramp, T Lot could be demolished and developed into a "Campustown" center. Another person I know from the message board at Bisonville.com (the main NDSU athletics forum) suggested the developments be called "Bisonville". I wouldn't mind seeing that.:D

Doc
Jul 28, 2007, 1:01 PM
I would like to see a more concerted effort to work with the landlords in the area. Some universities buy some of the "student ghetto" houses and sell them in blocks to developers to create higher quality student housing and more faculty housing. If you have ever been to Ann Arbor, you know how nice places around a campus can be. It wouldn't take that much effort, just a little planning.

NanoBison
Jul 28, 2007, 5:53 PM
The only problem with that idea, is that the landlords are in it to make the money and they'll pack 6 students into a 2 bedroom house @ $1,200/month and since the house is sh*t to begin with, no work is ever done on it and the students drive the property into the ground...

What I'd like to see if NDSU was to go that route, is have a "preferred" group of landlords that have to follow a certain set of rules. No crowding students into properties. Must perform typical maintenance and upkeep of the property to name a few. What you won't be able to get away from is your typical party scenarios. I lived over in that part of town for 3 years while going to NDSU. That section of town never sleeps and also has some of the highest volumes of police calls.

What would be great is if there were more buildings like the LLC developed off the campus property. That were planned so everyone had their own bedroom and shared a kitchen, living room and bathroom. Sure it's not the greatest way to live, but it's a hell of alot better than even the best dorms on campus. It blows Pavek out of the water.

As the campus continues to grow, I'd like to see more and more families move away from that area of town, perhaps build new homes on the northern end of town. Sure, during the daytime, it's a decent neighborhood, but once nighttime comes around, especially on the weekends, it's not really a decent place to raise a family. I'd also like to see the Fargo Police ramp up there patrols in the area.

I can't even count on my hands the number of times I've seen people urinate in public, vomit on the sidewalk and laugh, seen parties broken up, drug busts... etc...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "experiencing" college, but it typically tends to also disturb neighbors right next door. Lots of work needs to be done in that part of town.

Doc
Jul 28, 2007, 8:14 PM
One of the things that I would like to see is the city and university working with landlords who are more responsible (a.k.a. not the slum lords) and help them acquire some of the more derelict houses as they come on the market (with something like a Renaissance Zone tax credit, or something and easing of zoning changes). Once the owners get enough pieces of land, they can develop more of these mixed use projects (along 12th Ave, University, etc.). The city could also help create places where it is tougher to rent out "Love Shacks" to students. That way, more faculty and families could live close to campus. These would have to happen at the same time, as there is a need for more and better student housing.

Stuff like this:
http://www.alibi.com/index.php?story=15887

You can't change the culture, but you can plan to make sure it stays in particular areas. That way, you can provide more amenities that students really want because of the density and can give faculty and families more of a stake in the success of the University. Gotta start going away from the commuter campus model if NDSU wants to sustain its gains.

Doc
Jul 29, 2007, 10:28 PM
http://www.leelathaicuisine.com/

F-Misthebest
Jul 31, 2007, 6:01 AM
North Fargo project under way
Jon Knutson, The Forum
Published Tuesday, July 31, 2007

People who want to live or shop in north Fargo soon will have another option.

Construction of the four-story Stop-N-Go Center is under way at 1919 N. University Drive.

The project has 27,000 square feet of retail on the first floor and a combined 75 apartments on the second, third and fourth floors.

Combining apartments and retail space reflects a trend, said Jim Roers of Roers’ Development in Fargo, which is behind the $10.5 million project.

“It’s a style of living that appeals to some people,” he said.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/7820/0731stopngorenderdw7.jpg

The one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments will rent for about $550 to $1,700 per month.

Roers said people who work at the nearby North Dakota State University Research and Technology Park are prime candidates to live in the apartments.

Roers said retail demand is promising, although it’s too early to identify potential tenants.

A new Stop-N-Go convenience store also is part of the project and will open in late August or early September, said Sheila Carney, Stop-N-Go vice president and chief financial officer.

“This will be really good for north Fargo,” she said of the center.

When the new Stop-N-Go store is ready, the existing one at the site will be demolished, she said.

Roers said he’s been interested in the north Fargo location for some time.

In December, city commissioners approved a $1.4 million tax-increment financing note for the project, which involved razing six buildings.

NDSU’s growing number of graduate students increases the need for nearby apartments, said Jim Gilmour, Fargo city planner.

Projects such as Stop-N-Go Center reduce the pressure to convert single-family homes near NDSU into apartment buildings, he said.

Dense, multiuse complexes help cities function more efficiently, he said.

A number of multiuse projects, including Woodhaven Plaza, are under way in Fargo.

The three-story project combines about 155,000 square feet of residential, retail and commercial at the corner of 40th Avenue and 42nd Street South in Fargo.

Interest in Woodhaven Plaza is strong, said Matthew Durbin, sales agent for Konrad Olson, Commercial Real Estate.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jonathan Knutson at (701) 241-5530

Doc
Jul 31, 2007, 2:21 PM
That's pretty cool. I hope that they make 19th a bit more pedestrian friendly (both for the residents and the people who park away from the FargoDome and walk to the Dome). I hope this motivates more people near campus to re-convert their homes back to single residences and renovate. These kinds of places seem like more natural fits for students (rather than shoving them in crawlspaces of 100-year old homes).

SmileyBoy
Jul 31, 2007, 9:01 PM
The more dining, shopping and entertainment options they can build on 19th, the better. The city really needs to promote 19th Ave. N. as North Fargo's main commercial centre. The big issue I see though, is that space is literally running out. The only open space available belongs to either NDSU or the airport.

F-Misthebest
Jul 31, 2007, 10:53 PM
Options for land studied
Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Costco and Target are among retailers that could build a store on land that the Fargo City Commission voted Monday to zone for commercial use at Interstate 29 and 52nd Avenue South, according to an attorney for landowners Fred and Earlyne Hector.

Commissioners unanimously approved the first reading of an ordinance to zone 52 acres in the northwest corner of the interchange for commercial use.

Attorney Dan Plambeck said the Hectors have a contract with a Twin Cities developer to purchase about 30 to 40 acres of the land.

The developer and the Hectors have narrowed the list of potential anchor tenants to five retailers, Plambeck said. They include Target, Costco and Wal-Mart, although Wal-Mart has committed to building in the interchange’s southwest corner, he said.

“We want to move forward with a project that everybody can embrace,” he told the commission.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/149/57021029px2.jpg

In April, the Fargo Planning Commission denied the Hectors’ request to rezone for commercial use about 70 acres in the middle of their 149-acre site in the northwest corner the interchange.

Menards had previously considered putting a second Fargo store on the site, but the retailer dropped those plans – and terminated its purchase agreement with the Hectors – after the commission in October denied a request to roughly double the 45 to 50 acres of commercial land shown in the city’s long-range growth plan.

Fargo Senior Planner Jim Hinderaker said the 52-acre request approved Monday is in line with previous commission discussions.

The commercial land will be subject to design standards through a conditional overlay district.

Steve Stoner, developer of the Woodhaven subdivision west of the Hector property, said he supports the plan as long as additional commercial land isn’t approved.

Commissioners voted to delay for two weeks public hearings on separate commercial zoning requests by the Hectors for the 149-acre parcel and a 118-acre parcel northeast of the interchange.

The commission also rejected the Hectors’ request to have the 118-acre parcel removed from city limits.

In other business, the commission decided to study the cost of one resident’s request for close-captioning of city meetings broadcast on the city’s cable access channel.

SmileyBoy
Aug 1, 2007, 4:05 AM
FINALLY, A COSTCO AND A SUPERTARGET!!!!!

WOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

SmileyBoy
Aug 1, 2007, 4:15 AM
This would make 52nd Ave. South a HUGE retail corridor with a Wal-Mart Supercenter, Lowe's, Costco and SuperTarget. Not to mention the spinoff reataurants that go along with it. Yeah, I know, it's big-box development, but the way I see it, as long as we keep investing in our downtown like we're currently doing, I feel it's no problem that a few more big-boxes are popping up in the suburbs. It adds to our city's commerce, anyway. And I've been DYING for a Costco to announce a Fargo store for YEARS now!!

SmileyBoy
Aug 1, 2007, 4:21 AM
Time to update the list, since Men's Wearhouse is almost open:

Jimmy John's
Bruegger's Bagels
Chipotle
Panera Bread
Dunn Bros. Coffee
Dave & Buster's
CompUSA
Pottery Barn
Dick's Sporting Goods
The Men's Wearhouse
Circuit City
Popeye's Fried Chicken
Marshall's
Hollister
Apple Store
Staples
Romano's Macaroni Grill
Ultimate Electronics
Borders Books
Boston Market
White Castle
Lids
Old Country Buffet
DSW Shoe Warehouse
Costco
Joe's Crab Shack
Houlihan's
Cinnabon
REI
Cabela's
Whole Foods
Noodle's & Company
Jamba Juice
The Sports Authority
Champs Sports
Baskin-Robbins
California Pizza Kitchen
P.F. Chang's
Buca di Beppo
Don Pablo's
Benihana
Sonic
Fuddruckers
Tony Roma's
Stein Mart
Archiver's
Williams Sonoma
Crate & Barrel
Fatburger
Bally's Fitness

Doc
Aug 1, 2007, 3:49 PM
PLEASE LET IT BE A COSTCO!!!:slob:

Doc
Aug 1, 2007, 4:22 PM
You should add Trader Joe's to the list. That store totally rocks.

F-Misthebest
Aug 2, 2007, 8:47 AM
Trader Joe's is an excellent store. I think if someone opened a franchise of them in downtown, it would do extremely well. It may put Metro Drug out of business, but do you want a Trader Joes or Metro Drug? Hard decision right.

Not.

Wells Fargo is going to be building yet another location in Fargo. This time since the NorthPort Shopping Center Hornbachers is converting its Wells Fargo ATM to Gate City Bank they are going to build another location near the NDSU Skills and Technology Park. Also in the next year to year and a half Wells Fargo will build another location between 42nd and 45th Streets South on 32nd Avenue. There is also being a building being built by the West Pointe Centre and Choice Financial Bank building on 45th Street.

ajays
Aug 7, 2007, 5:34 PM
I would like an Ikea here!

JoeJoe
Aug 8, 2007, 12:31 AM
I would like an Ikea here!

I would love one as well...

...keep in mind, however, that the one in Minneapolis just opened up in the last few years. I don't believe Ikea is in enough of an aggressive expansion mode that we'd see one here in the near (or maybe even far) future.

Heck they're just building in Brooklyn and Orlando (http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/ikny_splash.html), pretty sure ND isn't even on their stylish Swedish radar :yes: .

F-Misthebest
Aug 8, 2007, 5:44 PM
The Hector International Airport and Allegiant Air is proud to present non-stop flights from Fargo to Ft. Lauderdale and Phoenix.

sodak
Aug 8, 2007, 7:40 PM
The Hector International Airport and Allegiant Air is proud to present non-stop flights from Fargo to Ft. Lauderdale and Phoenix.

Just curious, where are you getting that information? I know Sioux Falls is also being considered for one or both of those destinations, but to my understanding, (on both the SF Airport's website - and on Allegiants), the first city for these new "hubs" will be announced tomorrow (August 9). I just checked, and no annoucement has been posted.

If you look at Hector's website, all it says is that Allegiant is expanding to Ft. Lauderdale and Phoenix. It is simply a survey asking users of the website which destination they prefer. The Sioux Falls airport has the same thing.

Do you have inside info that Fargo has landed these new routes? That woudl be exciting for Fargo to get both of them. My bet is Sioux Falls lands the Phoenix route, since Allegiant already flies to Orlando from SF.

F-Misthebest
Aug 8, 2007, 10:52 PM
Sorry I was getting ahead of myself. My computer wouldn't show the whole page and wouldn't let me click on link. I'm on a different computer now though so I see it is a survey type thing.

sodak
Aug 8, 2007, 11:08 PM
Shoot, I thought maybe you had inside info. I figured if you knew about Fargo, maybe I could find out about Sioux Falls. Hopefully by the end of the month we will both know if we'll get new destinations.

F-Misthebest
Aug 9, 2007, 6:20 AM
Wal-Mart design gets panel approval
Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Thursday, August 09, 2007

Design standards for a proposed south Fargo development anchored by a Wal-Mart Supercenter won unanimous approval Wednesday from the city’s Planning Commission.

Panel Chairman John Q. Paulsen lauded Wal-Mart’s site plan for 23 acres in the southwest corner of the interchange at Interstate 29 and 52nd Avenue South.

“I think that the landscaping is outstanding, and I am very happy with the results and the participation both of the developers … and Wal-Mart in connection with this project,” Paulsen said.

The approval of the design standards and the consensus among planners that Wal-Mart’s plan meets or exceeds those standards, means the retailer has only one hurdle left to clear after nearly two years of trying to locate a store at the interchange.

The City Commission will consider the design standards, as well as the plat for the first 110 acres of the development known as The District, as early as Aug. 27, said Jim Hinderaker, Fargo senior planner.

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/7370/00newwalmartdc2.jpg
Photo from the Forum

Larry Scheffler, the Las Vegas developer behind The District, said the Wal-Mart store is “a good start” to what he hopes will eventually be a 277-acre upscale neighborhood with two or three additional big-box retailers.

“It’s the best anchor because it draws more cars than any other retailer in the world,” he said.

Scheffler said he has been in contact with restaurants, fast food chains and three banks, and also made a pitch to Bass Pro Shops.

“Everybody’s waiting to see because Wal-Mart drives so much,” he said.

Wal-Mart’s plan presented Wednesday also included a gas station, but that component may or may not happen, said Darcy Winter, the Minneapolis real estate broker representing Wal-Mart.

The design standards apply to building materials, signs, landscaping, parking, ponds and architectural features.

Hinderaker said planning staff are pleased with the Wal-Mart Supercenter’s design. It features a brick-style fa?ade, lots of vegetation and two elevated walkways in the parking lot to provide better pedestrian access.

“We’re very excited about the way this has turned out,” he said.

F-Misthebest
Aug 9, 2007, 6:22 AM
How would you like easy flights to Fla., Arizona?
Jon Knutson, The Forum
Published Thursday, August 09, 2007

If you’d like Allegiant Air to offer more service between Fargo and the sunny south, Hector International Airport officials want to hear from you.

Las Vegas-based Allegiant announced last week that it’s establishing new bases in Phoenix and Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Allegiant didn’t reveal which cities will receive service from Phoenix and Fort Lauderdale.

Now Fargo airport officials have created a Web site, www.flyallegiantairfar.com, allowing people to vote on whether they’d like Allegiant to add Phoenix or Fort Lauderdale to the Fargo market.

It takes less than a minute to go online and vote, said Shawn Dobberstein, Hector’s executive director.

Allegiant said it will announce its new Phoenix and Fort Lauderdale routes by the end of September. The airline describes its strategy as “focused on linking travelers in small cities to world-class leisure destinations” such as Las Vegas, Phoenix and Fort Lauderdale.

In other news involving Allegiant, the airline announced it plans to add Wednesday service from Fargo to Las Vegas from Nov. 14 through Feb. 6, 2008. Allegiant currently offers Monday and Thursday flights from Fargo to Las Vegas.

F-Misthebest
Aug 9, 2007, 6:43 AM
The Shoppes at Urban Plains has started on their construction which will one day be home to a variety or retail shops. Also the South Campus Plaza has undergone construction which is good news for NDSU and its future growth.

Doc
Aug 10, 2007, 6:27 PM
Rockford, Illinois was the first city to get a route. They got both Ft. Lauderdale AND Phoenix. Next one in a day.:cool:

Only The Lonely..
Aug 12, 2007, 4:43 AM
Just curious, where are you getting that information? I know Sioux Falls is also being considered for one or both of those destinations, but to my understanding, (on both the SF Airport's website - and on Allegiants), the first city for these new "hubs" will be announced tomorrow (August 9). I just checked, and no annoucement has been posted.

If you look at Hector's website, all it says is that Allegiant is expanding to Ft. Lauderdale and Phoenix. It is simply a survey asking users of the website which destination they prefer. The Sioux Falls airport has the same thing.

Do you have inside info that Fargo has landed these new routes? That woudl be exciting for Fargo to get both of them. My bet is Sioux Falls lands the Phoenix route, since Allegiant already flies to Orlando from SF.

After all these years i'm still surprised there still isn't direct service between Winnipeg and Fargo. I'm guesing Northwest (Northworst) would be the most logical carrier.

F-Misthebest
Aug 12, 2007, 5:42 AM
I've always wondered that as well. We have an International Airport and yet no international flights unless you go to the jet center or have someone privatley fly you out of the country. It is kind of weird but of course it would be a very expensive flight.

Doc
Aug 12, 2007, 8:03 PM
Chattanooga and Lehigh Valley, PA got the flight to Ft. Lauderdale.

F-Misthebest
Aug 16, 2007, 12:04 AM
Board OKs bond use for school
Helmut Schmidt, The Forum
Published Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Fargo School Board voted 8-0 Monday to authorize the sale of $43 million in bonds for a third comprehensive high school to be built in south Fargo by 2011.

The board also voted unanimously to sell the limited tax school building bonds this fall instead of in 2009.

Bonding this fall will allow for building the school’s parking lots early, which will help in construction. It also gives the district time to have landscaping and athletic fields ready when the school opens, said Dan Huffman, assistant superintendent for business services.

The vote also sends a message to the city that it’s time to build utilities and roads around the school site, which is about six blocks south of current development on the southeast corner of 25th Street and 70th Avenue South, board member Jim Johnson said.

“We think it will spur residential development, which we think will be nice,” he added.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4764/0815newhighschool15qo1.jpg[/URL]

The district will use building fund money to pay for the school, Huffman said, with no increase needed in the mill levy.

The bond votes came after board members were told a 60-day comment period on bonding passed without any protests.

Huffman said he will meet with the district’s bonding consultants today.

Approval of the bonds also starts the naming process for the school. Huffman said the board should have a list of names for the board’s consideration by mid- to end of September.

A laundry list of other issues must be decided in coming months, board President Robin Nelson said. Among them:

- Getting input on design from teachers and staff.

- Determining curriculum.

- Deciding on whether other schools will be closed when the new facility comes on line.

Even deciding when to split athletic teams will need a date to help create a school identity.

“It’s hard to be a (Fargo South High) Bruin, then all of a sudden not be a Bruin,” Nelson said.

Board members also apparently sense grander opportunities in the project, provided partners can be found in the community. Paul Meyers and Meg Spielman Peldo said a performing arts center or concert hall could be attached or located near the school. Laura Carley suggested creating a larger library with access for the community.

Superintendent Rick Buresh said he hasn’t gotten the negative feedback that sometimes comes with a big building project.

“I’m getting a lot of encouragement,” he said. “People are supportive of that idea.”

The district now has three high schools: Fargo South and North, both comprehensive high schools, and Woodrow Wilson Community High School, an alternative school.

District officials say a third comprehensive high school is not needed for space reasons so much as for quality of education.

South is now split into two campuses, with the former Agassiz Middle School acting as South Campus II and holding ninth-graders. At North High, all students in grades

9-12 are in the same building.

If all of South’s students were in one building, the school would have a population topping 2,100, administrators said. Input gained through community meetings has shown a preference for high schools of 1,200 to 1,350 students. That size also provides more opportunities to get students involved in activities and improve graduation rates, they said.

In other business, board members voted 8-0 to make it clear that they want Horace Mann and Roosevelt elementary schools in north Fargo paired by fall 2008.

Bob Grosz, assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction, said a transition group made up of representatives of both staffs, parent-teacher associations and neighborhood groups has been meeting since last year. They will continue to work through issues during the school year, including how to split grades between the two buildings, transportation and creating a single PTA.

Board member Dan Fremling was not present.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Helmut Schmidt at (701) 241-5583

SmileyBoy
Aug 16, 2007, 2:24 AM
So there will soon be eight full high schools in the F-M-WF-D-H urban area:

Fargo South
Fargo North
Fargo Shanley
New Fargo high school
West Fargo
Moorhead
Fargo Oak Grove
Dilworth-Glyndon/Felton

I bet if West Fargo's school district keeps increasing like it has, they may even build another high school for WF. I know they have discussed the idea of it recently. The WF school district already has over 50,000 (close to 60,000??) people in it, and it's growing rapidly. That may then be enough schools to create a Fargo/West Fargo "city" conference for HS athletics. There would be 3 public Fargo schools, one private Fargo school and 2 public WF schools. Maybe even Moorhead might build a new south high school in the future if the city's southern growth keeps up the way it's going.

More schools needed is an indicator of a growing population. Surely Fargo isn't shrinking (like the Census Bureau says) if they need to build a 3rd high school. If anything, this means Fargo is growing faster than we previously thought...

F-Misthebest
Aug 16, 2007, 4:42 AM
I don't know if you count this becuase I really don't but oh well, the Sheyenne 9th Grade Center in West Fargo opens this fall on the intersection of 57th Street and 40th Avenue South. So there are 8 and 1/4 High Schools in the area. I guess that's why you put "full" in your description. And for some reason I think West Fargo is building another elementary school in Eagle Run, but i'm not sure.

SmileyBoy
Aug 16, 2007, 7:26 PM
I don't know if you count this becuase I really don't but oh well, the Sheyenne 9th Grade Center in West Fargo opens this fall on the intersection of 57th Street and 40th Avenue South. So there are 8 and 1/4 High Schools in the area. I guess that's why you put "full" in your description. And for some reason I think West Fargo is building another elementary school in Eagle Run, but i'm not sure.

West Fargo is building 2 new elementary schools right now, if I'm not mistaken, one at Eagle Run and one near Osgood, I think. And they're currently planning to build another middle school. WF High School already has over 2,100 students right now, and that school is bursting at the seams, I hear. Maybe a new Grade 10-12 school could be built next door to the new Grade 9 school.

F-Misthebest
Aug 17, 2007, 10:39 PM
Missoula, Montana got flights to Phoenix-Mesa Arizona Airport.

F-Misthebest
Aug 20, 2007, 2:56 AM
There is a new restaurant going up at 4474 23 Ave South called "Up the Creek". The description says a foundation and parking lot permit only for a new resturant.

NanoBison
Aug 21, 2007, 11:33 PM
Is the same "Up the Creek" that is located in Minot where "Sports World" (what a stupid name) was located? Anyone know? The food was ok, nothing spectacular though.... Then again, a Fargo location may different...

SmileyBoy
Aug 21, 2007, 11:34 PM
Press release from Urban Plains:

For Immediate Release:
August 21, 2007

Shoppes at Urban Plains is Underway

A lifestyle center will soon be under construction just west of 45th Street at Urban Plains. The 12,000 square foot multi-tenant facility is the initial building on a block that is master-planned to have nearly 200,000 square feet of retail over the next several years. This planning process has lead to highly visible locations with protected sightlines, and zero on-site water retention requirements. Retailers should feel comfortable choosing Urban Plains for their next location knowing it will be an easy transition and that there won’t be any surprises.

Construction contracts were awarded at the end of last week and the building will be ready for tenants in November of this year.

Contact information concerning release:

Todd Berning
ICON Architectural Group
1400 Radisson Tower
Fargo, ND 58102
701-893-3420
www.upfargo.com

Rendering:

http://www.upfargo.com/press_release/8-21-07/render.pdf

Floorplan:

http://www.upfargo.com/press_release/8-21-07/UPRetailBldgA.pdf

F-Misthebest
Aug 23, 2007, 2:40 PM
NDSU headcount surpasses UND
Amy Dalrymple, The Forum
Published Thursday, August 23, 2007

North Dakota State University’s first-day enrollment is larger than the University of North Dakota’s headcount for the first time ever.

UND released a first-day enrollment figure Wednesday of 12,011 students.

NDSU reported Tuesday it had 12,287 students enrolled on the first day of classes.

UND’s enrollment reflects a

2.5 percent drop from this time last year, while NDSU’s headcount reflects a 2.5 percent gain.

If NDSU officials were celebrating the milestone, they weren’t doing it publicly.

“We have two good research universities and we each hold our niche in terms of attracting students,” said Prakash Mathew, NDSU vice president for student affairs. “They may be down one year, and my sense is they will bounce back.”

Officials at both campuses expect more students to register before the enrollment becomes official during the third week of classes.

At UND, officials were not focusing on how the numbers compared to NDSU, said spokesman Peter Johnson.

“We’re happy for their growth,” Johnson said. “For what it’s worth, the third-week numbers are still three weeks away.”

Enrollment at UND typically increases by about 500 to 600 students from the first day until the official count, Johnson said.

Mathew said enrollment there will likely exceed 12,500 when the official number is reported on Sept. 12.

NDSU has the largest class of new freshmen in the state, with 2,154 students compared to UND’s 1,869.

UND continues to enroll more graduate students with 1,695 students to NDSU’s 1,570.

The graduate student enrollment is likely to increase the most because those students tend to register later, Mathew said.

UND saw its largest enrollment decline in the School of Aerospace Sciences, with 260 fewer students compared to this time last year, Johnson said.

Publicity in recent years about the troubled commercial airline industry has led to a national downturn of students entering aviation, said assistant dean Ken Polovitz.

“It’s really painted a negative picture for young people thinking about going into aviation,” Polovitz said.

Although the industry has recovered and there are many more opportunities for aviation majors, there will be some lag time before that catches on with students, Polovitz said.

“We feel this is a temporary blip,” he said.

NDSU’s enrollment reflects a record for the eighth year in a row. The university met President Joseph Chapman’s goal of enrolling 12,000 students in fall 2004.

UND’s enrollment peaked in 2004 at 13,187 students. At the time, President Charles Kupchella said the university aimed to hit 14,000 students by 2005.

UND’s strategic plan is still to hit that 14,000 goal with 12,000 students on campus and 2,000 enrolled through distance education, Johnson said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Amy Dalrymple at (701) 241-5590

SmileyBoy
Aug 24, 2007, 3:50 AM
I heard from someone (on the inside) that Allegiant is choosing to pick Phoenix as the new destination from Hector. I heard the airline said they just announced new flights to Phoenix from Sioux Falls, and they're going to announce Fargo too, but I don't know how soon.

F-Misthebest
Aug 24, 2007, 2:30 PM
I was actually just going to post that as well because as I was looking around the www.fargoairport.com I came across under the News & Statistics page under http://www.fargoairport.com/far2006.pdf that it was saying Phoenix was a top domestic passenger market in Fargo. I don't know if in 2006 they would know that they were adding Fargo but I'm pretty sure we're getting Phoenix too.

F-Misthebest
Aug 24, 2007, 2:33 PM
Btw, I'm going to be going up in a Cessna to be taking aerial shots of Fargo and the lakes country. I'll post the pictures if they're any good.

MoreFM
Aug 24, 2007, 11:21 PM
Appears we will be getting a New York New York Fresh Deli. at 1775 45 St S.

JoeJoe
Aug 25, 2007, 12:57 AM
Actually their website (New York NY Fresh Deli's) says it'll be located at 1801 45th St. South. Going in besides Qdoba maybe?

I'll also join in and say all arrows are pointing at a Phoenix flight being added to Hector, which is nice with how Northwest is treating ND at the moment... Also I have friends I can go visit on a direct flight to Phoenix. :)

MoreFM
Aug 25, 2007, 1:22 AM
Looks like a conflict between the website and the permit request. I wonder if it's going to go into that new building south of Qdoba. I wouldn't figure that they would just use it for a Verizon Wireless store.

A flight route to Phoenix would be an excellent addition to the area.

SmileyBoy
Aug 25, 2007, 1:32 AM
New York New York Fresh Deli's website is here:

http://nynyfreshdeli.com

Looking at their location map, seems like they have stores scattered throughout the country, mot centered in any particular region. It's not a regional chain, but more of a nationwide, limited edition "boutique" chain.

F-Misthebest
Aug 25, 2007, 6:36 PM
Welcome to the Forum More FM. Glad to see another Fargo forumer out there. :cheers: :cheers:

I'll hopefully be posting my aerial pictures later tonight or tomorrow. I'm excited that I'll be able to take pictures of a Redhawks game going on, especially on Fan Appreciation Night. There's fireworks afterward. I went last year and it's really fun. I went to the game last night and we lost by one. Oh well, it was still really fun and you didn't have to pee into a trough.

wilson
Aug 25, 2007, 6:50 PM
Welcome to the Forum More FM. Glad to see another Fargo forumer out there. :cheers: :cheers:

I'll hopefully be posting my aerial pictures later tonight or tomorrow. I'm excited that I'll be able to take pictures of a Redhawks game going on, especially on Fan Appreciation Night. There's fireworks afterward. I went last year and it's really fun. I went to the game last night and we lost by one. Oh well, it was still really fun and you didn't have to pee into a trough.

But, that's the best part!

sodak
Aug 25, 2007, 8:28 PM
Speaking of the Redhawks game. I'm just throwing a wild dart here, but I bet Allegiant makes the announcement for Fargo tonight at the game if its fan appreciation night.

That's exactly what they did a couple days ago in Sioux Falls at the Canaries game.

NanoBison
Aug 25, 2007, 8:45 PM
Speaking of the Redhawks game. I'm just throwing a wild dart here, but I bet Allegiant makes the announcement for Fargo tonight at the game if its fan appreciation night.

That's exactly what they did a couple days ago in Sioux Falls at the Canaries game.

That's probably the case, considering, I believe they are giving away a free trip for two or something tonight at the game...

F-Misthebest
Aug 25, 2007, 10:51 PM
Yeah last night a guy won two free tickets to Las Vegas from Allegiant so I don't know.

NanoBison
Aug 26, 2007, 5:34 AM
That seems kind of weird, considering on the FlyFargo site it says the following : "The winner will be announced August 28, 2007 at the RedHawks game." Perhaps that's when it will be announced? Man it would be nice to get both routes as Peoria just did, but I'll settle for one. 1 is better than nothing... considering the airport to the north continues to lose passengers and flights.

I did notice one thing, that nationwide, the air traffic seems to have lowered a bit over the summer, so it doesn't surprise me when the Fargo Airport is reporting bookings at 5% less than last year. NWA needs to get it's s*** together.

Keep in mind too, not all is bad... United Airlines and Delta Airlines reported record boardings this month... perhaps this is the decline of NWA at the Fargo Airport and some more choices coming to the area... (obviously I realize NWA will never be eliminated from Fargo, since we really so heavily on Minneapolis, however I could see their share of traffic in the FM area drop below 50%...).

***Special Edit : I just checked and NWA has now dropped to 49% market share...

F-Misthebest
Aug 26, 2007, 4:57 PM
Yeah, the winner of the drawing and the new flight will be announced on the 28th and on the website yesterday, it said that the next route would be announced in two days and so many hours so I think that will be Fargo.

F-Misthebest
Aug 28, 2007, 12:27 PM
Urban Plains buzzing
Tracy Frank, The Forum
Published Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Construction has started on the first of many retail buildings planned in the Urban Plains development in southwest Fargo.

There will be space for 10 retailers in the 12,000-square-foot facility south of 26th Avenue and west of 45th Street, just south of Famous Dave’s Barbeque.

“To see some action out there is pretty exciting,” said Blake Nybakken, Development Specialist for ICON Architectural Group. “The planning process always takes awhile.”

The names of prospective stores and restaurants to be in the building cannot be confirmed at this time, Nybakken said.

“There will be several different types of users in there,” Nybakken said. “Everything that would go into a normal retail development.”

The facility should be finished and ready for retailers in November.

“We’re definitely going to have a different look to our buildings,” Nybakken said. “It’s going to be really nice, a lot of glass and varying elevations to give it a little height on the front. We’ve got the ability to do drive-throughs on both sides. We’ve got a lot of different options on this building.”

The facility is the initial building on a block planned to have nearly 200,000 square feet of retail, known as the Shoppes at Urban Plains, over the next several years.

“With additional retail, it’s a reflection of the growth of the community because as the population grows and as the business community grows, retail and restaurants and other things tend to follow because the demand or the need is there,” said David Martin, president and chief executive officer of the Chamber of Commerce of Fargo Moorhead.

“At the same time it provides additional amenities for people in the community.”

The Shoppes is part of a larger city within a city development by Fargo developer Ace Brandt.

The 328-acre Urban Plains by Brandt development, which runs from 32nd Avenue South to 26th Avenue and 45th Street to 57th Street, is designed to give a neighborhood feel in its combination of homes, shops, restaurants, businesses and a 24-acre park with 10 acres of water and a trail system.

“We think the whole development will have a very positive effect,” Martin said. “It’s in the growth area, not just of Fargo, but the whole metro area.”

Construction has also started on a $44 million Urban Plains Center and Tournament Facility located on 15 acres of land north of 32nd Avenue. The sports arena is scheduled for completion in the fall of 2008.The office park is up and is nearly finished. The medical facility has also been constructed.

Plans for the condos are currently under way with construction expected to start this fall and completed next year, said Kevin Ritterman, president and principal broker for Dakota Commercial and Development Co.

“We’re pretty excited,” Nybakken said. “There’s a lot going on out at Urban Plains right now.”

“We get increasing national and international attention because of the growth and development of our community and that’s exciting and it benefits all of us and this is just another example of that,” Martin said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Tracy Frank at (701) 241-5526

F-Misthebest
Aug 28, 2007, 12:29 PM
Service to Ariz. on way?
Jon Knutson, The Forum

Fargo’s Hector International Airport could be gaining direct air service to Phoenix or Fort Lauderdale, Fla., or both.

Airport officials plan to hold a news conference at

9 a.m. today to announce whether Allegiant Air is expanding service in Fargo.

Shawn Dobberstein, the airport’s executive director, said Monday he wouldn’t know until Monday night or this morning what Allegiant intends to do.

But there are four possibilities, he said.

Allegiant could:

- Do nothing.

- Add Phoenix-Mesa (Ariz.) service.

- Add Fort Lauderdale service.

- Add service to Phoenix and Fort Lauderdale.

“The indications we’re getting are, it probably will be Phoenix-Mesa,” Dobberstein said.

Las Vegas-based Allegiant – which already provides service between Las Vegas and Fargo – announced early this month that it’s establishing new bases in Phoenix and Fort Lauderdale.

Allegiant didn’t reveal which cities will receive services from the new bases.

Since then, Allegiant has announced service between Phoenix and several cities, including Sioux Falls, S.D.

The airline describes its strategy as “focused on linking travelers in small cities to world-class leisure destinations” such as Las Vegas, Phoenix and Fort Lauderdale.

SmileyBoy
Aug 28, 2007, 11:14 PM
Allegiant offers flights to Arizona
Jon Knutson, The Forum

Allegiant Air will begin direct flights between Fargo's Hector International Airport and Phoenix-Mesa (Ariz.) on Nov. 15.

The announcement came at a press conference this morning at the airport.

There will be two flights weekly between Hector and Williams Gateway Airport in Mesa. One will be on Thursdays, the other on Sundays.

Introductory fares will be offered at $99 each way.

Las Vegas-based Allegiant already offers air service between Fargo and Las Vegas.

Read more in Wednesday's Forum.

F-Misthebest
Aug 28, 2007, 11:29 PM
Well I'm glad we got the Phoenix flight. It would've been great to get the Ft. Lauderdale flight as well but with the growing city and the expanding airport we will see our fair share of southern flights. I cannot wait for all the construction to be done at the airport because it's going to be very nice.

F-Misthebest
Aug 28, 2007, 11:31 PM
Dupe.

Doc
Aug 29, 2007, 4:13 PM
Last night I stopped by the new Thai place. The menu and decor look slightly more upscale (and tastier) than the place in Moorhead. Can't wait to go there.:)

F-Misthebest
Sep 3, 2007, 5:00 AM
Claims threaten developer’s deal
Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Sunday, September 02, 2007

A lawsuit over a disputed multimillion-dollar land deal threatens to leave a gaping hole in the middle of a hyped south Fargo development known as The District.

Las Vegas developer Larry Scheffler said he’s confident he will still be able to buy the 85.5-acre tract that divides his proposed 277-acre development just south of 52nd Avenue South between Interstate 29 and 45th Street.

Scheffler, operating as White Oaks Trust, signed an option agreement in February 2006 to buy the tract for $3.54 million from Comstock Holding Co. LLC, led by its chief manager, Monte Kjos.

The agreement required Scheffler to pay $10,000 in option money to Summit Real Estate and Development Co. LLC, which was acting as the escrow agent for White Oaks and Comstock.

Comstock has since claimed that Richard Ward of Summit Real Estate mishandled the option money – rendering the agreement null and void – and that it plans to put the property back on the open market.

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/5374/lasvegasdeveloperln3.jpg

White Oaks Trust sued Comstock in February in Cass County District Court.

The lawsuit claims that Comstock breached the option agreement and can’t refuse to proceed with the sale based on “any failure to act, alleged or real,” by Summit Real Estate or Ward, who did not return a phone message seeking comment.

“What they’re trying to do is completely undo this contract and pretend it never happened over what we consider very minor issues,” said Joel Fremstad, the Fargo attorney representing Scheffler.

“We’ve done everything we were supposed to do,” said Scheffler, a Barnesville, Minn., native. “I think North Dakota law supports what we did, and I’m perplexed as anyone why (Kjos) is doing what he’s doing.”

Kjos said the mishandled option check came to light when he started scrutinizing the deal because Scheffler was working with the city’s Planning Department before he even owned the land.

“The issue was they were trying to annex it and rezone it without our permission,” Kjos said.

The 85.5 acres was one of two land deals struck between Scheffler and Kjos in February 2006.

A few days before he signed the option agreement, Scheffler agreed to buy 110 acres along I-29 for slightly more than $4 million. That deal was completed on May 12, 2006, according to court documents.

Wal-Mart has since announced plans to build a supercenter on the site.

Scheffler has said he wants The District to be an upscale neighborhood and shopping center with up to three big-box retail stores on the east and west sides, 300 to 400 housing units, a lifestyle center, restaurants and offices beside man-made lakes.

Fremstad called it “laughable” that Scheffler already paid $4 million to Comstock, and now Comstock is trying to nullify a $3.54 million land deal over a $10,000 check.

“It appears that Comstock has had ‘buyer’s remorse’ over the deal it agreed to and is now attempting to unreasonably use any available excuse to void the agreement,” the lawsuit states.

Kjos said he has proposed settlements – which, according to court documents, would require a higher option payment and land prices – but Scheffler isn’t interested.

“I don’t care about the money and the property,” Kjos said. “It’s the principle. People come in here from Las Vegas and tell you what you can and can’t do.”

In its counterclaim, Comstock argues that instead of depositing the $10,000 option money check into an interest-bearing trust account as required by state law, Ward attempted to deposit the money with The Title Co. without Comstock’s consent.

Fremstad said Scheffler fulfilled his part of the deal by submitting the $10,000 check, and that Scheffler isn’t liable for mistakes made by Ward.

“That doesn’t give them a basis for canceling the contract,” Fremstad said.

The disputed parcel was among 195 acres south of 52nd Avenue that the Fargo City Commission voted to annex on Feb. 23, 2006 – 17 days after Scheffler and Kjos signed the option agreement.

Comstock protested the annexation of its land, and the City Commission voted in August 2006 to remove the land before the annexation was completed.

Comstock also alleges that White Oaks and Summit failed to disclose a real-estate commission agreement that caused Comstock to pay Summit $203,180 that it otherwise wouldn’t have paid. White Oaks has denied any wrongdoing.

To complicate matters even further, White Oaks claims that Comstock has engaged in a “civil conspiracy.” The lawsuit states that Comstock and Kjos used information from Ward’s former business partner “for the purposes of benefiting themselves while seeking to inflict injury upon Richard Ward, Summit and/or White Oaks Trust.”

Comstock denies dealing “with any person or corporation that could be characterized as improper in any way.”

Fremstad has filed a motion for summary judgment in the case. It asks District Court Judge Georgia Dawson to declare the option agreement valid and dismiss Comstock’s counterclaim.

A hearing is set for Oct. 22.

F-Misthebest
Sep 3, 2007, 5:04 AM
Doug Burgum has purchased the Richman's Press Club Building downtown to convert into lofts and on the main floor a high-end upper class seafood restaurant.

Hooters is also planning on building in Fargo in Urban Plains.

wilson
Sep 5, 2007, 2:37 AM
Is Hooters ditching their current site then, or just adding another one?

F-Misthebest
Sep 5, 2007, 4:11 AM
I heard that they were keeping the old one as well because it gets all the interstate traffic.

F-Misthebest
Sep 5, 2007, 4:11 AM
I heard that they were keeping the old one as well because it gets all the interstate traffic.

JoeJoe
Sep 5, 2007, 1:08 PM
According to the Forum article (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=174581&section=columnists&columnist=Craig%20McEwen%20and%20Tracy%20Frank) I originally read about this, it just made it sound like they were moving. I honestly don't know why we would need 2 of 'em...

NysOne
Sep 12, 2007, 1:54 PM
I heard that they're demolishing the Hooter's building and putting in a strip mall.

SmileyBoy
Sep 12, 2007, 10:09 PM
Mens Wearhouse is now open on 13th and 43 1/2th. Also, the new downtown library is starting foundation work. The new southside library is getting close to done.

JoeJoe
Sep 13, 2007, 1:04 AM
The demo of the Hooters building would make sense... when you connect it with the recent demo of the shed-type building that was between the Savers 'strip mall' (aka the old Menards) and West Acres 14.
http://innerjoejoe.wordpress.com/files/2007/09/17thavemall.jpg
It would make a great area facing 17th for a strip mall. Also it would fix the area behind the mall that I know has been previously referred to on this forum as a 'blemished' part of town. AKA Menards relocated and the area has been left (and used) as is ever since.

I am all for filling in undeveloped parts of town before building huge sprawling additions on the city limits (I'm looking at you Osgood! ;) ).

I hope this 'rumor' can come to some fruition.

Azstar
Sep 13, 2007, 10:53 AM
I've travelled around the world extensively for both work and pleasure, and, believe it or not, Fargo is one of my favorite places. After years of decline and abandonment, downtown has made a remarkable recovery. Other cities could learn a lesson or two here. By the way, I'll be on one of those nonstop flights from Phoenix to Fargo first chance I get.