PDA

View Full Version : Fargo-Moorhead developments information

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

Reichert
Sep 17, 2013, 4:52 PM
I have posted this over on the Highrise/Supertall Proposals page, too...

BigTicket
Sep 18, 2013, 11:46 PM
ESPN College Gameday will be hosting their college football pregame show live from Downtown Fargo on Saturday. Should be a pretty cool site for the show...they'll be setting up so the historic Fargo Theater marquee will be in the background of where they are filming.

Bison fans actually lined up down Broadway to welcome ESPN to Fargo..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUew8vACUAAp5Qu.jpg

Reichert
Sep 20, 2013, 7:16 PM
In other words, right in front of where the new Dakota Place could be built....

BigTicket
Sep 24, 2013, 2:57 AM
Downtown Fargo looked pretty good on ESPN College Gameday on Saturday...

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r605/likem/GameDay/2013-09-20_ESPN_GameDay_7931_zps51f86fe5.jpg

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r605/likem/GameDay/2013-09-20_ESPN_GameDay_7982_zps2572d57b.jpg

FargoSioux
Sep 29, 2013, 5:55 AM
I love how someone put a Fighting Sioux flag on their balcony. I was in Everett's on on either Wednesday or Thursday last week and there were people everywhere setting up. I'm sure it was fantastic for the businesses down there, which is a good thing.

I just read an article on Moorhead's downtown that's in the Forum today. Maybe it's just my bias showing, but I just think the whole "city" of Moorhead just needs to be bulldozed and start over. It's like Little Detroit with its vacant buildings, lack of businesses, and crumbling streets. It makes me proud to see what Fargo has done. It wasn't that long ago where Fargo was on par with Moorhead when comparing downtowns.

Reichert
Oct 10, 2013, 5:55 PM
I love how someone put a Fighting Sioux flag on their balcony. I was in Everett's on on either Wednesday or Thursday last week and there were people everywhere setting up. I'm sure it was fantastic for the businesses down there, which is a good thing.

I just read an article on Moorhead's downtown that's in the Forum today. Maybe it's just my bias showing, but I just think the whole "city" of Moorhead just needs to be bulldozed and start over. It's like Little Detroit with its vacant buildings, lack of businesses, and crumbling streets. It makes me proud to see what Fargo has done. It wasn't that long ago where Fargo was on par with Moorhead when comparing downtowns.

Alot of what's happened with downtown Fargo has happened on the dime and shoulders of one man: Doug Burgum. The Great Plains Software founder has undertaken the revitalization and preservation (yes, together) of downtown Fargo. His Kilbourne Group has its fingerprints all over downtown and one of his buildings even got on GameDay with the Kilbourne name at the top of the condo building.

FargoSioux
Oct 11, 2013, 3:52 AM
Alot of what's happened with downtown Fargo has happened on the dime and shoulders of one man: Doug Burgum. The Great Plains Software founder has undertaken the revitalization and preservation (yes, together) of downtown Fargo. His Kilbourne Group has its fingerprints all over downtown and one of his buildings even got on GameDay with the Kilbourne name at the top of the condo building.

Oh, I know. He and his wife are wonderful people. If it's anyone who can get a real skyscraper downtown, it's him. What he's done for the city is nothing short of amazing. The downtown area has an actual sense of status these days, something that would have been laughed at 10 years ago.

Tony Almeida
Oct 19, 2013, 9:59 AM
Why don't they build the city hall into a more urban modern look like into a 10-15 story tower. They can rent out the space that isn't needed and make some money on the side for future projects, repairs, payments, etc., heck throw a restaurant on the main floor, whatever...or is this not how it works?

I just thought this would be another way of making Fargo's downtown more appealing, all the while, killing 2 birds with one stone.

I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where for the life of me) that the current city hall was 24,000 sq. ft. but the new proposed site (one of the plans I believe) by the Kilbourne group was allowing only 20,000 sq. ft. for the new city hall....I'm confused here because isn't the current city hall too congested and that was one of the reasons for a new city hall?

I could be wrong but I thought that is what I read... :???:

braunbr1
Oct 20, 2013, 12:53 PM
No you are right I read that in one of the articles but they have updated that and are going to build a city hall that is 60-70000 square feet.

Why don't they build the city hall into a more urban modern look like into a 10-15 story tower. They can rent out the space that isn't needed and make some money on the side for future projects, repairs, payments, etc., heck throw a restaurant on the main floor, whatever...or is this not how it works?

I just thought this would be another way of making Fargo's downtown more appealing, all the while, killing 2 birds with one stone.

I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where for the life of me) that the current city hall was 24,000 sq. ft. but the new proposed site (one of the plans I believe) by the Kilbourne group was allowing only 20,000 sq. ft. for the new city hall....I'm confused here because isn't the current city hall too congested and that was one of the reasons for a new city hall?

I could be wrong but I thought that is what I read... :???:

Blain Train
Oct 20, 2013, 5:46 PM
Hey all
New to this page but have followed it for many years, finally decided to make an account. Am 23 and grew up in the Oxbow area...live near DC now and go to Grad School at George Mason.

Anyway, just read in the Forum that plans are in the works Four Points by Sheraton has decided on a site at 5064 23rd Ave S in Fargo (Near Pracs and the new Hospital). Should be a fairly massive structure I would think...anyone else heard anything about this?

F-Misthebest
Oct 20, 2013, 8:36 PM
It'll just be another four story hotel. Nothing too exciting.

IronRanger
Oct 23, 2013, 2:52 AM
The initial stages of planning are commencing for the demolition of the Cardinal Muench Seminary in north Fargo. The property will be converted into a new development. These lots will not be cheap.

F-Misthebest
Oct 23, 2013, 3:30 PM
The old union transfer building on NP Avenue downtown, sold. It will be interesting to see what happens with that. That part of downtown is on the verge of becoming such a great little Dinkytown.

FargoSioux
Oct 24, 2013, 8:56 PM
The initial stages of planning are commencing for the demolition of the Cardinal Muench Seminary in north Fargo. The property will be converted into a new development. These lots will not be cheap.

That's almost sad. I learned how to drive stick shift in that circle. You're right, those lots won't be cheap. But, what about their flood protection? Is the elevation higher up there?

johnschneider89
Oct 25, 2013, 2:46 AM
The old union transfer building on NP Avenue downtown, sold. It will be interesting to see what happens with that. That part of downtown is on the verge of becoming such a great little Dinkytown.

Seriously? Any idea who bought it or what they intend to use it for? It would explain why they're putting up a chainlink fence around the building.

F-Misthebest
Oct 25, 2013, 3:58 PM
That's almost sad. I learned how to drive stick shift in that circle. You're right, those lots won't be cheap. But, what about their flood protection? Is the elevation higher up there?

The elevation is a little higher up there. A few of the lots will need some ground work to make them higher but not too many.

Buford69james
Oct 25, 2013, 6:20 PM
That's exciting news about the Union Transfer building, I always thought it would be a cool office building (granted, I've never seen the inside), maybe with a nice restaurant on the main level.

I hope they can keep some of the beautiful greenspace at the Seminary property, that's such a nice part of town up there.

On other news, it sounds like HomeGoods and Marshall's are coming to the former Old Navy and Hobby Lobby (?) locations in West Fargo.

braunbr1
Oct 27, 2013, 2:52 PM
That's exciting news about the Union Transfer building, I always thought it would be a cool office building (granted, I've never seen the inside), maybe with a nice restaurant on the main level.

I hope they can keep some of the beautiful greenspace at the Seminary property, that's such a nice part of town up there.

On other news, it sounds like HomeGoods and Marshall's are coming to the former Old Navy and Hobby Lobby (?) locations in West Fargo.

It would be cool to see a nice restaurant on the main floor with a nice patio built out the loading docks.

FargoTransplant
Oct 28, 2013, 5:50 PM

Old Navy and Big Lots location.

Tony Almeida
Nov 1, 2013, 5:27 AM
No you are right I read that in one of the articles but they have updated that and are going to build a city hall that is 60-70000 square feet.

Oh good to hear, thank you.

I just hope they build up...I have high hopes (no pun intended) for the future of our downtown.

wilson
Nov 9, 2013, 11:53 PM
Old Navy and Big Lots location.

Big Lots closed again?

F-Misthebest
Nov 10, 2013, 4:18 PM
Homegoods is taking their spot as mentioned Before.

Tony Almeida
Nov 19, 2013, 5:49 AM
My wife is so excited about the 2 new stores...I should have never mentioned it to her...

IronRanger
Jan 4, 2014, 12:25 AM
I guess I'll break the silence....GO BISON!!!!!

johnschneider89
Jan 6, 2014, 2:44 PM
Ha! Thanks for that, it had been too long without any commenting!

Anyway, has there been any word on that Kilbourne Group skyscraper downtown? I know that they were looking for an anchor tenant (they actually approached and had meetings with my current employer), but I'm not sure if they've found one yet.

F-Misthebest
Jan 6, 2014, 5:22 PM
I heard blue cross blue shield was debating it.

FargoSioux
Jan 10, 2014, 6:45 AM
What's going into the Kilbourne church building downtown? I know they had a public input board, but I never did hear when the verdict was.

F-Misthebest
Jan 10, 2014, 8:51 PM
They still haven't decided but they said it will likely have two or three uses. You can read the top ideas on their blog at kilbournegroup.com

braunbr1
Jan 15, 2014, 11:06 PM
A new style Pizza franchise backed by Buffalo Wild Wings is coming to Fargo, called PizzaRev. This sounds like an interesting Pizza place they have chipotle style pizza in there sauce.

FargoTransplant
Jan 21, 2014, 2:34 PM
A Porter Creek Hardwood Grill is going in attached to a new Clubhouse Hotel going up across from Scheels on the corner of 45th street and 15th avenue. Looks like there is one other Porter Creek in Burnsville, MN. http://www.portercreek.com/

braunbr1
Feb 12, 2014, 10:51 PM
Casey's General Stores buys Stop N Go...I won't be surprised if they close a couple because some are really too small for Casey's.

TallBob
Feb 13, 2014, 8:09 AM
Casey's Sucks!! They are over-priced and over-rated! Were good 10-15 years ago, but that's it. Cheap re-fills of coffee (which they all do). I hope Kwik Trip/Kwik Star moves heavily into N & S Dakota. Good prices on milk, bread, eggs, produce, drinks, pizza/sandwiches, ect. Headquartered in Wisconsin. Minnesota, East Iowa Wisc., their main market!

johnschneider89
Feb 14, 2014, 3:27 PM
$9 million project aims to revitalize vacant Union Storage and Transfer complex (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/426519/)

It looks like the long vacant building will be turned into commercial, retail, and residential space. I'm glad to see that something will be done with it rather than simply tearing it down.

wilson
Mar 2, 2014, 5:12 AM
Some good info here:
New hotels, restaurants and a big-box store; 2014 has them all (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/427950/)

braunbr1
Mar 6, 2014, 10:51 PM
Nice looking design for the new Fargo City Hall.
http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/374663/headline/Rendering%20of%20city%20hall/

fredstrom
Mar 19, 2014, 9:44 PM
The Sioux Falls Business Journal did a nice story on the similarities between Fargo and Sioux Falls. Great things to say about both. They really are twin cities 350 miles apart. Thought you all would be interested.

http://siouxfallsbusinessjournal.argusleader.com/article/20140319/BJNEWS03/303190008/Businesses-find-mirror-homes-29

F-Misthebest
Mar 19, 2014, 9:57 PM
The new sonic will be located just south of the newly expanded 26th Avenue south and 45th street. There will also be another new 120 room hotel in that area. The area is currently owned by the Fargo Park district and houses several softball fields. However, they are moving all the softball fields into a new mega complex on the north end of town.

rrskylar
Mar 20, 2014, 4:29 AM
The Sioux Falls Business Journal did a nice story on the similarities between Fargo and Sioux Falls. Great things to say about both. They really are twin cities 350 miles apart. Thought you all would be interested.

Thanks for the link, but only 243 miles separates Fargo and Sioux Falls!

TallBob
Mar 20, 2014, 4:56 AM
Fargo is a nicer city.... feels more urban. But Sioux Falls has tons of great resturaunts!

Buford69james
Mar 24, 2014, 9:33 PM
Does anyone know what's going up at the former Sports Center on Westrac Drive/Interstate Blvd?

Tony Almeida
Mar 25, 2014, 7:41 AM

http://siouxfallsbusinessjournal.argusleader.com/article/20140319/BJNEWS03/303190008/Businesses-find-mirror-homes-29

Fargo does not waste an inch of space. Fargo is much more compact because it allows businesses to build right next to sidewalks (which makes it hard to expand streets, but that's for another time).
Cities with similar populations such as Sioux Falls are much more spread out. Next time your in such a city, time yourself how long it takes to get across town. In Fargo/Moorhead, you can pretty much get anywhere you need to within 20 minutes (give or take 5).

Fargo actually has a true downtown or at the very least it has that feel to it and its only going to heighten if and when the Kilbourne Group builds that proposed tower...just imagine what that downtown would be like if those goofballs back in the 50's, or whenever it may have been, had I-94 run through downtown...or if Fargo would have built their downtown around I-94, whoever is to blame, it sure wouldn't hurt to have that traffic running through those businesses.

One thing Fargo needs to do or stop doing is giving out so many permits for apartment buildings. We may be a college town but I know for a fact all those apartment units are not being filled at such a rate that we need a new building to go up every month and I don't think I'm exaggerating here. It just cheapens the look of Fargo and it doesn't show any sense of permanency. Since we are indeed on the subject of mirroring cities, maybe we are shooting for something bigger like a major city because in 20 years Fargo will look like the projects...

With all that said, I still vote for Fargo because like TallBob stated, it does feel more urban, nobody can top the Bison, and after all, it is home.

F-Misthebest
Mar 25, 2014, 4:33 PM
As of last summer, the vacancy rate for apartments in Fargo was around 2% while the number of units being built increased substantially. So there is definitely a demand for these apartments no matter how cheap they make the city look. I do agree that perhaps the building design standards for apartment buildings could be looked at to make all the buildings more attractive.

FargoFan
Mar 27, 2014, 10:05 PM
Agreed, the Fargo metro area may need all of the apartments, however they don't all need to look exactly the same. If anyone has driven by the future Sanford campus, it looks like work is really starting to take off. 2 soon to be 3 massive cranes are in place. There is the start of the central tower/foundation that can be seen growing every day. That area of town is about to explode with activity. Which brings us back to the apartment conversation. All those workers, which will be in the hundreds if not more will need somewhere to live for the couple of years it takes to finish the hospital. It was also just announced that the FM metro area was the 4th fastest growing metro in the country last year. Gaining a little over 6000 people.

SirRocketsauce
Apr 24, 2014, 7:48 AM
Discovered this site about a week ago...took forever to read the last 143 pages. Is there any new info on the Kilbourne tower project? I haven't seen any updates since Sept of '13. If this gets cancelled I'm gonna be hella pissed!:hell:

Tony Almeida
Apr 25, 2014, 1:05 AM
Discovered this site about a week ago...took forever to read the last 143 pages. Is there any new info on the Kilbourne tower project? I haven't seen any updates since Sept of '13. If this gets cancelled I'm gonna be hella pissed!:hell:

I hear you on this one...I too will be upset if they cancel this project!

This may be old news but rumors are that they are thinking smaller now since they cannot find that last main tenant...dropping the building a few stories and below 300 ft.

Not happy.

I got nothing else.
Anybody else know anything?

SirRocketsauce
Apr 25, 2014, 2:04 AM
I hope they don't reduce the height! I just emailed the Kilbourne group looking to find out more details about this project, I'll post their reply. I'm curious why Scheels hasn't been brought up as a main tenant, their name is plastered over a lot of crap around town.

I've heard that they are waiting for the city to agree on when and where they are building the new city hall, new parking ramp, possible convention center, and flood walls. I believe the Kilbourne group may want to wait so everything can be built at once to give downtown a super-boost.

Tony Almeida
Apr 25, 2014, 9:57 AM
Scheels might have been an option before they built that massive store on 45th...they spent too much on the adjoining corporate office just to abandon it now.

So I am assuming US Bank and Blue Cross Blue Shield are out?

I can't wait to hear your response from the Kilbourne Group.

SirRocketsauce
Apr 26, 2014, 1:29 AM
FARGO, N.D. — The newly announced Drekker Brewing Co. has chosen a location for its brewery and taproom. The company will be setting up operations in the Cityscapes Plaza Building at 630 1st Avenue North in downtown Fargo.

“We couldn’t be more excited about our location. We’re planning some really fun things for the brewery and taproom, all within the heart of downtown Fargo,” explains Mark Bjornstad, Co-founder and President of Drekker Brewing.

Customers will be able to enjoy flights and pints at the taproom, take a tour of the brewery, and bring home growlers of their favorite brews. Head brewer, Darin Montplaisir, explains taprooms are a growing trend in craft brewing and offer a unique customer experience.

“People will be able to hang out and enjoy the freshest beer possible, see how it’s made and talk to the people who crafted it while taking in the

sights, sounds and smells of the brewery,” said Montplaisir.

Construction on the brewery will begin this spring, with a grand opening planned for the fall of 2014. Drekker will be brewing on a 10-barrel brewhouse custom made for the company by Bennett Forgeworks in Colorado. The beer will be fermented and conditioned in American-made tanks by Portland Kettle Works in Oregon.

The brewing company will have the initial ability to produce roughly 1,000 barrels of beer, or 2,000 kegs a year.

For updates about the progress and offerings from Drekker visit their website at: www.drekkerbrewing.com and follow along on Facebook and Twitter.

^^^
This will be cool

thebasketballgeek
Apr 28, 2014, 12:08 PM
Hello winnipegger here. I am currently at fargo right now. Nice place. I visited the downtown and I absolutely loved it. I'm not sure if you have heard of the exchange district but that is exactly what fargo resembles. Heritage buildings.
No offence but it wasn't lively at all. I went yesterday evening and I only saw like 5 people while I was at the area. I think This city should be on the radar more. Well that is all I can say about downtown

F-Misthebest
Apr 28, 2014, 3:24 PM
I think you can chalk up the liveliness issue to it being rainy, cold, and a sunday evening. Many of the businesses downtown are not even open on sundays.

I'm a big fan of the exchange district up there in winnipeg so thank you for that compliment.

johnschneider89
Apr 28, 2014, 5:15 PM
Hello winnipegger here. I am currently at fargo right now. Nice place. I visited the downtown and I absolutely loved it. I'm not sure if you have heard of the exchange district but that is exactly what fargo resembles. Heritage buildings.
No offence but it wasn't lively at all. I went yesterday evening and I only saw like 5 people while I was at the area. I think This city should be on the radar more. Well that is all I can say about downtown

Ha, yeah, it's pretty dead on a Sunday evening. Try a Friday or Saturday evening and there will be tons of activity. Heck, Saturday afternoon with sun can be pretty busy too. I live downtown and was out and about this past Saturday and saw a few dozen people after just walking a block or two.

thebasketballgeek
Apr 29, 2014, 11:43 AM
It's to bad that I didn't have a camera with me or otherwise I would show it off to a few winnipeggers.
Anyways it seems like downtown Fargo is basically 90% heritage buildings. From now on I'm going to start checking development in this area because it's so unique.

thebasketballgeek
Apr 29, 2014, 12:20 PM
The dakota place tower seems so intresting. I went through Fargo using I-29 and you just can't see the highrises in downtown. Is Fargo really that spread out.

Last thing. Does anyone know the population for downtown Fargo?

F-Misthebest
Apr 29, 2014, 2:28 PM
It depends where you are on I-29, but our highrises really are really not tall and they are about 3 miles from the interstate.

As of 2010, the population of downtown was a little over 3400 people.

dennis
Apr 29, 2014, 6:15 PM
I think you can chalk up the liveliness issue to it being rainy, cold, and a sunday evening. Many of the businesses downtown are not even open on sundays.

I'm a big fan of the exchange district up there in winnipeg so thank you for that compliment.

Me and my wife head down to Fargo quite often. We stayed downtown a few times and I loved it. There were days when it was busy, and others (Sunday) when it wasn't. Fargo has a very good collection of heritage buildings and very nice inner city neighbourhoods.

matthew2109
May 9, 2014, 9:46 PM
Anybody racing in any events for the Fargo Marathon?

FargoSioux
May 12, 2014, 4:51 AM
FARGO, N.D. — The newly announced Drekker Brewing Co. has chosen a location for its brewery and taproom. The company will be setting up operations in the Cityscapes Plaza Building at 630 1st Avenue North in downtown Fargo.

“We couldn’t be more excited about our location. We’re planning some really fun things for the brewery and taproom, all within the heart of downtown Fargo,” explains Mark Bjornstad, Co-founder and President of Drekker Brewing.

Customers will be able to enjoy flights and pints at the taproom, take a tour of the brewery, and bring home growlers of their favorite brews. Head brewer, Darin Montplaisir, explains taprooms are a growing trend in craft brewing and offer a unique customer experience.

“People will be able to hang out and enjoy the freshest beer possible, see how it’s made and talk to the people who crafted it while taking in the

sights, sounds and smells of the brewery,” said Montplaisir.

Construction on the brewery will begin this spring, with a grand opening planned for the fall of 2014. Drekker will be brewing on a 10-barrel brewhouse custom made for the company by Bennett Forgeworks in Colorado. The beer will be fermented and conditioned in American-made tanks by Portland Kettle Works in Oregon.

The brewing company will have the initial ability to produce roughly 1,000 barrels of beer, or 2,000 kegs a year.

For updates about the progress and offerings from Drekker visit their website at: www.drekkerbrewing.com and follow along on Facebook and Twitter.

^^^
This will be cool

This is very cool. I actually went to the same babysitter as Darin and his sister Michelle growing up. Haven't seen the name in nearly 20 years.

fsm
May 28, 2014, 9:14 AM
Sonic Update: I have yet to see dirt turned over, but the survey crews appear to be done plotting the premises :)

Red Robin: Nothing yet - not even a mowed plot :|

I'll let everyone know the very second both open - you'll be behind me in line :D

The strip mall across from Scheels on 45th is progressing nicely as well.

The roads just west of I29 and south of 52nd Ave S are looking great - I never heard what the final decision was on that new area, but to be honest it's looking a whole lot like either decent sized house lots or more 3 story apartment plots are being flagged.

The Century 10 theatre on 40th Ave S is looking like absolute crap right now, as they are remodeling the whole thing. They have ads on the windows showing the reserve-able overstuffed recliners going in - they are AMAZING seats!

johnschneider89
May 30, 2014, 2:35 AM
$18 million business complex planned at Main and I-29 in Fargo (http://www.inforum.com/content/18-million-business-complex-planned-main-and-i-29-fargo-developer-seeks-2-million-tax-break)

FargoSioux
May 30, 2014, 5:22 AM
$18 million business complex planned at Main and I-29 in Fargo (http://www.inforum.com/content/18-million-business-complex-planned-main-and-i-29-fargo-developer-seeks-2-million-tax-break)

This really pleases me. I've been wondering when something will be done with that piece of land. It looks so dilapidated right now.

FargoSioux
Jun 3, 2014, 2:33 PM
After looking at FargoStreets.com regarding the 25th Street Reconstruction, it appears that next year they'll FINALLY be widening 13th Avenue S from 38th to 45th Streets. This is excellent news. That spot where 13th turns off onto 42nd and it's down to two lanes is an absolute nightmare during rush hour.

Paulyt23
Jun 4, 2014, 6:33 PM
Fargo does not waste an inch of space. Fargo is much more compact because it allows businesses to build right next to sidewalks (which makes it hard to expand streets, but that's for another time).
Cities with similar populations such as Sioux Falls are much more spread out. Next time your in such a city, time yourself how long it takes to get across town. In Fargo/Moorhead, you can pretty much get anywhere you need to within 20 minutes (give or take 5).

Fargo actually has a true downtown or at the very least it has that feel to it and its only going to heighten if and when the Kilbourne Group builds that proposed tower...just imagine what that downtown would be like if those goofballs back in the 50's, or whenever it may have been, had I-94 run through downtown...or if Fargo would have built their downtown around I-94, whoever is to blame, it sure wouldn't hurt to have that traffic running through those businesses.

One thing Fargo needs to do or stop doing is giving out so many permits for apartment buildings. We may be a college town but I know for a fact all those apartment units are not being filled at such a rate that we need a new building to go up every month and I don't think I'm exaggerating here. It just cheapens the look of Fargo and it doesn't show any sense of permanency. Since we are indeed on the subject of mirroring cities, maybe we are shooting for something bigger like a major city because in 20 years Fargo will look like the projects...

With all that said, I still vote for Fargo because like TallBob stated, it does feel more urban, nobody can top the Bison, and after all, it is home.

Fargo and Sioux Falls are alike in the sense that they're the biggest cities in their respective states and they are both growing fast, but they are different as well. Sioux Falls has no large public university, whereas the FM area has two. This makes a big difference. I went to college in Iowa about an hour's drive southeast of Sioux Falls and this was the city we went to when we wanted to "go to the city." But Sioux Falls just isn't as lively as Fargo. They have a huge mall and a nice downtown, but it seemed to be a very suburban and corporate metropolitan area in comparison to Fargo. Fargo is also very suburban, but it doesn't have so much of a corporate culture which can be very confining, uncreative, and conformist. Sioux Fall's economy runs on back office banking and credit card servicing which isn't exactly very dynamic or interesting. I find Fargo to be more artistic, diverse, laid back, and liberal minded.

TallBob
Jun 5, 2014, 5:46 AM
Besides being a little bigger than Fargo, Sioux Falls has a huge amount of restaraunts per capita than Fargo.... Otherwise, Fargo is culturally a little above SF. That will probably change over the next 10-15 years. Fargo/Moorhead get a little more influence from Minneapolis/St. Paul I also think.

Buford69james
Jun 7, 2014, 3:07 PM
Looks like the former AAA building finally has a prospective tenant after years of vacancy! The IDA (a two-way radio company) sign has been outside there for a while. Kind of perplexing as to why that building sat empty for so long; must have had an outrageous asking price due to the visibility.

fsm
Sep 28, 2014, 4:13 AM
Quaker Steak and Lube in Fargo on 45th street had "temporarily closed", citing they will be 'remodeling' and upgrading to a national restaurant chain.

Any clues?

Maybe this is why Red Robin hasn't attempted to build on the plot they previously announced?

The current Quaker Steak plot has been plagued by failing restaurants since Bennigan's Point Of Sale system crashed and the owners decided to just close it instead of fixing it!

Daryl B Moretocome
Oct 9, 2014, 3:51 PM
The Red Robin plans for 4159 17th Ave. S. in Fargo were submitted on May 15th 2014 and were approved by all Fargo city offices. There must be some other reason that they have delayed their building.

Tony Almeida
Oct 15, 2014, 10:01 PM
The Red Robin plans for 4159 17th Ave. S. in Fargo were submitted on May 15th 2014 and were approved by all Fargo city offices. There must be some other reason that they have delayed their building.

Maybe they realized we have enough burger joints and seeing how disgusting and overrated Sonics is, they put a halt to their own inevitable embarrassment...:D

I'm waiting for that local "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" type place to open up here in the FM area, but it seems this town loves the same monotonous burger/taco chains that are eventually in every corner of this country...

johnschneider89
Jan 20, 2015, 3:25 PM
Liquor license transfer may signal Offutt headquarters in downtown Fargo

The way this reads to me: RD Offutt would built a new building on where that concrete parking lot is to the north of Fort Noks (and they just built that!), Fort Noks will continue operation, and RD Offutt would help to build a big parking ramp where the OB parking lot is.

Would be interesting to see a parking ramp on the NP Avenue parking lot, I know that idea has been tossed around before, but nothing seems to have come of it yet.

http://www.inforum.com/business/3659446-liquor-license-transfer-may-signal-offutt-headquarters-downtown-fargo

TallBob
Jan 21, 2015, 5:15 AM
What happened to the developer wanting to build the 25-story mix-use tower? Any word? Fargo could use a couple of those....Well, maybe one!

johnschneider89
Jan 23, 2015, 3:33 AM
As far as I know that Killbourne Group tower is on a bit of a hold. From last I heard, there were having difficulty finding an anchor tenant.

fsm
Feb 3, 2015, 7:41 AM
Fargo city leaders OK downtown riverside master plan

http://www.inforum.com/news/3670126-river-dreams-fargo-city-leaders-ok-downtown-riverside-master-plan

rchitect Richard Moorhead gave Fargo city leaders a vision on Monday night of towering hotels along the riverfront, a glass-covered convention center straddling First Avenue North and bike trails connecting parks on both sides of the river.

They’re part of an updated master plan for development of the riverfront from Mickelson Park in the north to the dikes just east of Island Park in the south.

Other parts of the vision include a skywalk linking the riverfront buildings with Broadway businesses, a bike-trail loop connecting parks on both sides of the river and trolleys connecting downtown Fargo with downtown Moorhead.

The five concepts include:

Concept 1: The convention center would overlook the river from where the Howard Johnson hotel is now, north of the new city hall, with a connection to the civic center. A new hotel connected to the convention center would be built where the Public Health Department is now; the department is moving into the former Sunmart on 13th Avenue in south Fargo. Another hotel tower would be built in the southeast corner of Civic Plaza with an attached parking ramp. New apartments would go where Mid-America Steel is now.

Concept 2: The convention center would straddle First Avenue North, taking up most of the southeast corner of Civic Plaza. A hotel and mixed-use development would go up at the Howard Johnson site. A concert hall and parking ramp would be built at the Mid-America Steel site.

Concept 3: The convention center would be built on the block were National Muffler used to be. It would be connected by a skywalk to a parking ramp and concert hall across the street in the southeast corner of Civic Plaza. A hotel tower would be within walking distance at the Mid-America Steel site.

Concept 4: The convention center would be at the Mid-America Steel site connected by skywalk to parking ramps to the east and west. The west ramp would be connected to a hotel tower at the National Muffler site. An apartment and office building would go up in the southeast corner of Civic Plaza.

Concept 5: There would be no downtown convention center. A performance hall would anchor the southeast corner of Civic Plaza with a mixed-use building and parking ramp across the street at the National Muffler site. Various residential buildings would be built at the Mid-America Steel site.

johnschneider89
Feb 17, 2015, 5:51 PM
Fargo/Moorhead may be considering a trolley/steetcar system to improve downtown access issues: http://www.inforum.com/news/3680427-trolley-time-fargo-looks-past-solve-downtown-access-problem

“We don’t really have a parking problem – downtowns in general don’t have a parking problem – it’s an access problem,” said the former Cass County planner, who now works for a local engineering firm.

For inspiration, Zimney’s been looking to the past when streetcars connected downtown to neighborhoods to the north and south, and to Moorhead across the river. What if, he recently told the Downtown Community Partnership, downtown had a trolley again?

It’s an idea that’s made it into the city’s riverside development master plan and has been discussed around town. Nationwide, many cities have also started streetcar lines and seen new investments in their downtown properties.

Fargo City Commissioner Mike Williams, who chairs the city’s Parking Commission, said more than half of downtown land is not built on and, as the district grows in density, parking alone will not provide the access needed.

“I think it’s good to have this discussion because it promotes the idea about how do we get around the town when we’re building the areas that are getting to higher density,” he said.

Tony Almeida
Feb 24, 2015, 11:58 AM
Fargo city leaders OK downtown riverside master plan

http://www.inforum.com/news/3670126-river-dreams-fargo-city-leaders-ok-downtown-riverside-master-plan

Wow. I really hope this thing happens whatever concept they go with and Kilbourne Group does their thing as well...this would be exciting for this area!

johnschneider89
Feb 24, 2015, 6:47 PM
Here's a more visual look at the different downtown riverfront options:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=862171397181153

Yackemflaber69
Feb 24, 2015, 9:17 PM
I hope they pick the two tower option. Does anyone know what happened to dakota place?

TallBob
Feb 25, 2015, 8:16 AM
If they go with the two tower design, that will be three fairly tall buildings including the Kilbourne proposal, right?

johnschneider89
Feb 25, 2015, 3:26 PM
Yeah, the overall shot at 0:53 looks pretty darn cool.

Tony Almeida
Feb 28, 2015, 12:18 PM
Yes the 3 towers idea is by far the most appealing. When are they breaking ground? :cheers::D

Pappy2000
Apr 11, 2015, 12:26 AM
The building is continuing at Essentia Hospital and the new Sanford Hospital is beginning to take shape. West Fargo 3rd phase Main Ave. project did not receive any bids due to bust construction crews and are determined now to split the phase into 2 smaller phases in hopes of luring bidders. I am still looking for more information about the Red Robin build, my brother works as an architect in Phoenix and his company is contracted to design all of Red Robins Restaurant's and he specifically has designed Fargo's, so it's still coming.

Other than that, I know there are many other projects out there, let's get talking.

matthew2109
Apr 11, 2015, 10:15 PM
I will get out some time the next week and get some pics of the various projects going up around the FM area. The Cashwise in West Fargo is up and should see the grand opening in the coming weeks. Also the new "Fargo" Harley Davidson that is locate in West Fargo just off Sheyenne and I94 is coming along nicely.

BigTicket
Apr 18, 2015, 6:24 AM
Gotta agree with their top location for this development....Also interesting is that the Dakota Place tower is in the rendering for the ramp complex...

http://www.inforum.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_1000/public/field/image/dtparking3.jpg?itok=YqWRSlID

Fargo consultants favor parking-office-retail complex in north end of downtown
By Tu-Uyen Tran on Apr 17, 2015 at 6:00 a.m. Fargo Forum

FARGO — The best site for a new downtown parking ramp is not the city-owned lot on NP Avenue, the longtime favorite, but the block where Schumacher Goodyear is located, consultants told the Parking Commission on Thursday.

Consultants from Carl Walker Parking of Kalamazoo, Mich., and Helenske Design Group of Fargo examined seven downtown sites.

http://www.inforum.com/news/3724518-fargo-consultants-favor-parking-office-retail-complex-north-end-downtown

TallBob
Apr 18, 2015, 6:44 AM
^^ BigTicket: Where is Kilbourne's proposal supposed to go?

Tony Almeida
Apr 19, 2015, 7:26 AM
^^ BigTicket: Where is Kilbourne's proposal supposed to go?

The Dakota Place is the Kilbourne project, if that's what the confusion was (the big tower in the above rendering).
The plan was in front of the Radisson on the US Bank lot on Broadway, if nothing has changed.
With that said, Kilbourne Group better get their act together and think about erecting that building soon or they are going to run out of possible tenants to all the other ideas floating around downtown...Fargo isn't that big.

TallBob
Apr 19, 2015, 7:57 AM
^^^ Thanks for the info! Don't know much about Fargo.... I've been up there 3-4 times over the years and seems like a nice town!

matthew2109
Apr 28, 2015, 3:51 AM
So the Iron Skillet at the Petro Stopping Center (the truck stop) closed and a Popeyes Chicken will replace that.

Tony Almeida
Apr 29, 2015, 9:21 AM
So the Iron Skillet at the Petro Stopping Center (the truck stop) closed and a Popeyes Chicken will replace that.

There's also a couple other restaurants going in along with Popeyes, I'm assuming one will be a 24 hr type place to replace the Iron Skillet or else there are going to be some mad truckers...

Pappy2000
Apr 29, 2015, 8:00 PM

This is the biggest news tohit FM in quite a while. Even though it's not a skyscraper, for those like me who have been craving that spicy chicken and cajun rice, this is huge...(or I'll be Huge). :haha:

FargoTransplant
Aug 6, 2015, 2:30 PM

Tim Horton's and Charleys Subs will join Popeyes Chicken in the Petro Stopping Center. Their building permit requests went up on Fargo's plan routing page yesterday. Sounds like one more is yet unannounced.

Tony Almeida
Aug 9, 2015, 6:59 AM
Tim Horton's and Charleys Subs will join Popeyes Chicken in the Petro Stopping Center. Their building permit requests went up on Fargo's plan routing page yesterday. Sounds like one more is yet unannounced.

Soooo anything good coming in? :)

johnschneider89
Sep 14, 2015, 3:53 PM
Kilbourne Group has purchased the Black building in downtown Fargo. (http://www.inforum.com/news/3837426-kilbourne-group-buys-historic-black-building-downtown-fargo) Hopefully this means some much needed repairs and renovations are on their way:

Doug Burgum’s Kilbourne Group disclosed Friday that it reached a deal to purchase the iconic Black Building on Broadway, a landmark that adds to the firm’s growing list of historic downtown buildings.

The eight-story office tower and retail plaza was acquired from DTL Properties for an undisclosed sum. The Black Building and an adjacent retail building, 110 to 118 Broadway, have an appraised value of $2,457,700, according to records with the Fargo City Assessor’s Office.

“We are honored to assume stewardship of this significant Fargo landmark,” Burgum said in a statement. “We are excited about the future of this incredible structure, and we look forward to receiving input and inspiration from tenants and the community regarding the Black Building’s next chapter.”

Kilbourne Group is also buying the three-level building just south of the Black Building as well as a parking lot at 217 Roberts St.

Lloyd Sampson, who along with Dan Sampson and Todd Nedberg is selling to Kilbourne Group, said in a statement, “Since DTL Properties’ purchase of the Black Building in September 1993, we have been mindful of its place in the history of the city of Fargo. We are appreciative of the many long-tenured tenants who have remained committed to this important downtown property.”

Kilbourne Group said it “will honor all existing leases with current tenants.”

The Black Building is Kilbourne Group’s most recent downtown purchase. In May, Kilbourne acquired a slate of properties once owned by Feder Realty Co., including several locations on Broadway. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed, but the buildings had an appraised value of $8.8 million.

Kilbourne has acquired many historic downtown properties for renovation, including the Loretta Building, 210 Broadway, which holds its offices.

hellerz85
Dec 15, 2015, 2:49 PM
Anyone know whats going to replace Fridays? Just saw the article on inforum saying it closed down and will be replaced by something that people have been requesting for a long time? Maybe a Chick-Fil-a? haha

Pinus
Dec 24, 2015, 5:33 AM
It's really sad how much this thread has died down in the last year. I guess Fargo is overly dependant on the Oil and Gas investment that if it dies down, so does Fargo's growth.

wilson
Dec 26, 2015, 5:18 AM
It's really sad how much this thread has died down in the last year. I guess Fargo is overly dependant on the Oil and Gas investment that if it dies down, so does Fargo's growth.

I think that is completely untrue. Fargo has grown and thrived well before the oil, which is out west, and will continue to even if it dies down. Fargo really had little to do with the oil. I think the reason this thread has died down is because the major contributor to this thread is no longer around.

Azstar
Dec 26, 2015, 5:21 PM

This thread has died down because a single poster kept it updated constantly. That poster has moved away, so no one else updates this thread the way he did. It has nothing to do with the oil fields. Fargo's economy is one of the most diverse in the U.S. Here's a great article from Fortune Magazine. Worth reading.

http://fortune.com/2015/12/18/fargo-tech-community/?iid=sr-link3

Cyro
Dec 27, 2015, 1:32 PM
This thread has died down because a single poster kept it updated constantly. That poster has moved away, so no one else updates this thread the way he did. It has nothing to do with the oil fields. Fargo's economy is one of the most diverse in the U.S. Here's a great article from Fortune Magazine. Worth reading.

http://fortune.com/2015/12/18/fargo-tech-community/?iid=sr-link3

I appreciate the update and information. I agree

Tony Almeida
Jan 6, 2016, 8:38 PM
Anyone know whats going to replace Fridays? Just saw the article on inforum saying it closed down and will be replaced by something that people have been requesting for a long time? Maybe a Chick-Fil-a? haha

I wouldn't mind a PF Changs to be honest...no huh uh?

BigTicket
Jan 29, 2016, 6:21 AM
Some development news....

Developers pitch big plans for replacing two downtown Fargo parking lots
By Forum News Service on Jan 26, 2016 at 8:39 a.m.

FARGO – Contenders to provide yet another sizable jolt to the recent flurry of development downtown were unveiled Monday, plans that would all add new dimensions to the city's skyline.

Three local developers are vying to win the city's go-ahead to allow them to develop two city-owned lots and possibly some adjacent private lots near the corner of Second Avenue North and Roberts Street just west of Broadway.

Two of the projects would have price tags pushing near $50 million.Roers, Kilbourne Group and Enclave Development submitted to the city last week their proposals to build new parking ramps on the lots, as well as mixed-use buildings including both residential and retail space.

http://www.wdaz.com/news/north-dakota/3932923-developers-pitch-big-plans-replacing-two-downtown-fargo-parking-lots

ECTW Proposal....
http://www.inforum.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_1000/public/field/image/Fargo-ECTW-Alliance-copy.jpg?itok=iUtpc-di

Kilbourne Proposal...
http://www.inforum.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_1000/public/field/image/Fargo-Kilbourne-Group.jpg?itok=bBmNXfsV

Roers Proposal...
http://www.inforum.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_1000/public/field/image/Fargo-Roers.jpg?itok=MN0C0BhJ

jayman4426
Feb 1, 2016, 8:10 PM
Hey everyone. I have been following this forum for a while but I have decided to create an account. Anyways I have some good news; the new skyscraper will officially be built with construction starting this fall. RDO equipment will be the anchor teanet and TMI hospitality will be managing the hotel portion. I'm glad to see this thing taking off. How about the rest of you? Hope to see more skyscrapers in the next 20-30 years. Here is the article:

www.inforum.com/business/3937484-construction-start-fall-kilbournes-new-downtown-fargo-tower

Tony Almeida
Feb 2, 2016, 11:14 AM
Hey everyone. I have been following this forum for a while but I have decided to create an account. Anyways I have some good news; the new skyscraper will officially be built with construction starting this fall. RDO equipment will be the anchor teanet and TMI hospitality will be managing the hotel portion. I'm glad to see this thing taking off. How about the rest of you? Hope to see more skyscrapers in the next 20-30 years. Here is the article:

www.inforum.com/business/3937484-construction-start-fall-kilbournes-new-downtown-fargo-tower

I'm a little disappointed that they scaled this down considerably...it's too bad Kilbourne Group couldn't get their original plan finalized with RDO sticking to their original plan as well, building the Fort Nox tower. I pictured two new towers with one being 350 ft but now it's scaled down to one tower only at 15-16 stories, oh well...with that said I am still excited for this, i hope this is just the beginning of what could be a bright future for downtown Fargo....

Any news on the riverside tower developments in downtown Fargo that was posted on here a while back...actually just one page(144) back? It would be great if these came to fruition as well...downtown Fargo would look pretty amazing.

On a side note, Sioux Falls is not messing around, they have some huge plans for their downtown and it involves a couple towers with one that's a 20+ story hotel/residential tower along with other multi-million dollar projects...

Let's not let Sioux Falls finally beat us vertically...

bfargo90
Feb 3, 2016, 4:59 AM
On a side note, Sioux Falls is not messing around, they have some huge plans for their downtown and it involves a couple towers with one that's a 20+ story hotel/residential tower along with other multi-million dollar projects...

Let's not let Sioux Falls finally beat us vertically...http://www.keloland.com/_images/data/800x600/65122.jpg
Are you talking about this? In my honest but personal opinion, this has got to be the ugliest piece of architecture I've ever seen, and I would gladly allow Sioux Falls to beat us vertically... to the world's ugliest skyline. We are very fortunate to have companies such as Kilbourne Group that are incredibly thoughtful and tasteful in their design processes.

Yes, I was also hoping to see Block 9 at least be taller than the state capitol (and maybe it will), but I'm sure that they'll at least make it taller than the Radisson, and at least with that we will no longer have to say that the anchor tenant of our tallest building is a hotel. ;)

In addition, there is no doubt that the development of the Block 9 project, as well as the many others taking place now will bring a significant boost to the residential and workforce population downtown, which along with additional parking structures and flood protection measures, is sure to bring increasingly larger developments over time.

I'm perfectly content with things taking their sweet time, as long as we continue to make sound design choices that keep the classy vibe that is second-to-none in downtown Fargo! One colossal, grotesque development could take that away from us.

BTW, I have been following this thread for quite some time and finally decided to register and put in my two cents. :)