PDA

View Full Version : Fargo-Moorhead developments information

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Doc
Mar 28, 2008, 2:47 PM
Nano, leave a comment on their website. Let them know what you think about their laser-like focus on the cold. Heck, I even like the winters. Snowshoeing on the Red River in winter is one of the most kick-a$$ things I've done. :cool:

matt35503
Apr 2, 2008, 7:58 AM
Hey guys, I've been checking out the forum and have really loved what I've been seeing. I'm Fargo born and raised but currently going to college in the Twin Cities. It's nice to be getting information about the home-front while I'm gone. I guess I thought I would add some interesting tidbits of my own and see your thoughts. I have some personal connections in the City, hotel business, and within West Acres.

First of all, I have heard that the B. Dalton lease will be expiring soon in the mall and Barnes and Noble will be moving in. As you are aware, Walgreens will be moving out at roughly the same time to their new location where Grandma's used to be. I envision them blowing out that whole entrance by Walgreens and building a store on the scale of their current one or larger, as our B&N is rather small compared to some newer ones. We all know the parking at their current location sucks so this will give them more parking and more foot traffic. B&N isn't stupid, so while I see them closing their current location, I also see them opening another store south of town either in The Crossing or The District to dissuade a Borders coming in.

I know some of you guys are going to love this one.... A former manager of mine at Office Depot in Fargo attempted to purchase franchise rights to Panera after she left. Guess what? They're already purchased for the entire metro area, so I see Panera in our future.

So, my connections tell me that SuperTarget is almost a for sure thing. Funny thing is, its going to be directly across 52nd Ave from the Walmart Supercenter. Here's the hush-hush though. Here in the cities a very select number of Targets have MinuteClinics, its a test program that is currently only in the Twin Cities. However, a little birdie tells me that Target is looking at Fargo for the first one outside the Twin Cities.

Also, you guys were talking about the Expressway Inn and Suites earlier. If I remember right you guys were wondering why the news said it was 70 rooms and some sign said it was 120 rooms. Well, the deal is Dave Isaac, the current owner of the Expressway purchased that land for a pretty penny and unfortunately overreached a bit and in order to offset his costs downsized the hotel and is going to rent/sell the rest of the land he purchased. The only bad thing is I have word, that the current vacancy rate is pretty high, although it is still really new.

Well guys I guess that post became a bit longer than I anticipated. Let me know what you think. Also I look forward to sharing my ideas for the expansion of West Acres. NanoBison, I swear somehow you got inside my head on that one.

SmileyBoy
Apr 2, 2008, 8:59 AM
Thanks for all the info, matt!!!!

And welcome aboard!!

NysOne
Apr 3, 2008, 8:40 PM
...this forum is getting better all the time...great input by new user Matt...interesting stuff...this forum is better than my tip club!

Does anyone know who bought the old Blockbuster building on 13th Ave S, near 25th St.?

matt35503
Apr 3, 2008, 8:54 PM
Someone bought the Blockbuster building? I sure hope they do something nice with it, I was worried it might become an eyesore.

NysOne
Apr 4, 2008, 1:20 PM
There's a big Coldwell Banker sign in front with a "SOLD" sign attached...that's all I know though. There was a rumor that Walgreen's was going in there...but it's becoming like the Hooter's rumors that it was going in just about everywhere!

wilson
Apr 4, 2008, 2:29 PM
Speaking of Hooter's again, i'm getting confused as to what is all happening. I was at the Hub last weekend, and there is a Hooter's opening up there soon. Does that change plans to what was happening before? Or are we really gonna have like 3 Hooter's here.

wilson
Apr 4, 2008, 5:16 PM
Coming in June 2008: Sun Country to Fargo. Only one flight a month though, oh well, at least it's something. Hopefully it still happens though, i hear they are having financial troubles...

http://www.suncountry.com/SCA/checkin/flightSchedule.jsf

NanoBison
Apr 4, 2008, 5:20 PM
Speaking of Hooter's again, i'm getting confused as to what is all happening. I was at the Hub last weekend, and there is a Hooter's opening up there soon. Does that change plans to what was happening before? Or are we really gonna have like 3 Hooter's here.

From my understanding, when I read the article about The Hub in the paper... Hooters was going to build a SMALL eatery in the Hub that would have a limited menu (mainly the chicken wings). I'm not sure exactly what is going on with the main Hooters eatery. I know they are looking AT LEAST at moving or opening a new one. I know there's a sign above the ponderosa building saying "Hooters makes you happy" but I haven't heard ANY plans of them moving in there.

The most substantial evidence I could find was the Forum article talking about how they were considering opening a brand new location in the Urban Plains area, just south of Famous Dave's. Other folks said it would be in the Eagle Creek strip mall area.

At this point, I really have no clue... :shrug:

by the way, the 300 Broadway project is starting to go up. They've got concrete support beams up at this point for the basement and the first floor. I can't wait until that building is complete.

NanoBison
Apr 4, 2008, 5:25 PM
Coming in June 2008: Sun Country to Fargo. Only one flight a month though, oh well, at least it's something. Hopefully it still happens though, i hear they are having financial troubles...

http://www.suncountry.com/SCA/checkin/flightSchedule.jsf

It's good to see they are continuing service to Fargo-Moorhead. Sun Country has been a Charter service for Fargo for several years. They used to have more flights, but Allegiant pretty much took care of the Las Vegas flights... and it looks like Allegiant is going to be grabbing up some Laughlin, NV flights as well (see charter link below).

Here's the Charter Schedule (http://www.fargoairport.com/charter08.htm) from the Fargo Airport website....

:)

F-Misthebest
Apr 6, 2008, 2:50 AM
Hey guys sorry i've been gone lately. I've been on a ten day tour of the southwest. Suprised this article hasn't been posted yet.
Study: Arts center could cost $63MAndrea Domaskin, The ForumPublished Thursday, April 03, 2008
A performing arts center could cost Fargo-Moorhead $63 million, plus a possible $6.8 million for a parking ramp, the second phase of a study shows.The feasibility study, by AMS Planning and Research, is examining the needs for a facility that would offer performances by local arts groups and touring acts. “This is an expensive building,” said City Commissioner Linda Coates.Performance halls, like hospitals, have specific, pricey requirements, said Coates, who is executive director of the Fargo-Moorhead Symphony Orchestra and a member of the Lake Agassiz Arts Council steering committee overseeing the study.The study is expected to cost about $62,500, said Martha Olsen, executive director of the arts council. It’s being paid for by the cities of Fargo and Moorhead, the local convention and visitors bureau, universities, arts organizations and others. AMS is recommending the 1,800-seat performance hall based on the needs of local arts groups and promoters, Arthur Greenberg, a St. Louis-based director of the firm, told about 12 members of the steering committee on Wednesday.A smaller, 200-seat theater, office space, dressing rooms and production space would be included in the building. It would need an estimated 136,882 square feet, said Steven Dwyer, a Minneapolis-based senior associate at HGA Architects and Engineers.The cost estimate is preliminary, Dwyer said.“Cost estimating at this early stage is not an exact science by any means,” he said.The facility would need 14 full-time employees and a $2.7 million annual operating budget. It would likely have a $1.3 million shortfall annually without fundraising or subsidies.Greenberg said the cost for both operations and the building are conservative.As initially presented to the steering committee, the building construction would cost about $56.4 million if a parking ramp is included. When about $13.5 million in soft costs such as professional fees and furniture are added, the total estimated cost is $69.9 million. Some committee members suggested that the ramp be listed separately.The Fargodome, which opened in 1992, cost $50 million to build. Sales taxes paid for it.The proposed arts center’s funding is unknown. That will be examined in the next portion of the study.John Q. Paulsen, a steering committee member and president of the North Dakota Board of Higher Education, asked whether area colleges would be interested in partnering.“It would be a nice addition to the community,” said Tracey Moorhead, a senior associate to the president at Concordia College. “It would not be a top priority for the college.” Coates said the facility can happen if the community wants it.Fargo voters approved a sales tax to pay for the dome. They also approved a sales tax to pay for three new libraries in Fargo.“I think the big question remaining – and none of us know the answer to this – is would the community support this?” Coates said. Readers can reach Forum reporterAndrea Domaskin at (701) 241-5556

F-Misthebest
Apr 6, 2008, 2:52 AM
Ok, the hotel computer i'm on is being retarded so I don't know how to fix this. Ugh, I hate it when technology doesn't work.

matt35503
Apr 6, 2008, 4:58 AM
Man I hope they put this thing to the voters in a referendum. I think if it is presented to the citizens right that they will support it. Do they have any locations in mind? Because, downtown near the civic center in that nasty parking lot would be awesome.

F-Misthebest
Apr 7, 2008, 2:51 AM
Yeah thats where it is proposed. Right east of the library.

http://www.fmmetrocog.org/projects/FM%20Framework%20Plan%20Final%208-15-07.pdf

Doc
Apr 7, 2008, 3:20 PM
There was discussion about making it part of a second-street walk to the river. It would overlook the river and be integrated with some flood control. It would absolutely help the city and downtown and would have the additional function of connecting the city to the river.:tup:

SmileyBoy
Apr 8, 2008, 8:43 PM
There's a certain building I've been keeping my eye on for a few weeks, and I'm not sure if any of you know about it. I think the address it's at is 1130 1st Ave North. It's near the new Klai and Barry Halls at NDSU Downtown, just west of them. It's a platform construction building (it looks like an apartment building) that's currently being built on land that was previously empty, and when it started, the built a floor, then they built another on top of it, which made me pleased, then they build a third floor, which made me stoked, now I think they're about to build a fourth floor!! I read nothing about it in the paper, and I've been watching them build it for weeks now. It looks to me like it could be the first downtown student apartment building. I don't think it would go much higher than 4 storeys, because the construction style is platform, and it's wood-framed. Anyone know the building I'm talking about??

Justin_144
Apr 8, 2008, 9:48 PM
Near the downtown NDSU building? I dont remember seeing anything around there but further up the street there is a wood frame building going up near the building with the red clock ''tower''. Sorry I dont know streets lol.

SmileyBoy
Apr 8, 2008, 11:11 PM
Near the downtown NDSU building? I dont remember seeing anything around there but further up the street there is a wood frame building going up near the building with the red clock ''tower''. Sorry I dont know streets lol.

It's on 1st Street North between the Domino's and the new NDSU Barry Hall (old Pioneer Mutual Life) they're building.

Justin_144
Apr 8, 2008, 11:18 PM
Im not quite sure I know what you talk about, maybe I dont get around the area your talking about....there is a dominos around there? lol
go figure.

Doc
Apr 9, 2008, 3:20 AM
You are right. There was a short story in the Forum about a month ago, but I can't find it right now. Times they are a changin'.

SmileyBoy
Apr 9, 2008, 1:15 PM
You are right. There was a short story in the Forum about a month ago, but I can't find it right now. Times they are a changin'.

Fourth floor is going up on that building as we speak.

F-Misthebest
Apr 10, 2008, 2:15 AM
Fargo Civic Center could eventually turn into City Hall office space
Andrea Domaskin, The Forum
Published Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Fargodome could see a financial boost if the city found another use for the Civic Center, a market analysis suggests.

The analysis examines the impact of a proposed addition to the dome. It also includes a list of potential revenue enhancements to the dome.

Among them: If Fargo repurposes all or part of the downtown Civic Center, some Civic events could be shifted to the dome complex.

The scenario might not be all that farfetched.

City Hall – which is attached to the Civic Center – is old and bursting at the seams, according to city officials.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9145/bybyciviccenterqf7.png

Architects are studying whether it’s possible to turn part of the Civic into more space for city business.

The 50-year-old City Hall needs a new roof and a new heating system, City Administrator Pat Zavoral said. Some departments, such as the assessor’s office, have moved into private buildings because there isn’t enough space at City Hall.

“We’re making do, but eventually we’re going to have to do something,” Zavoral said.

Because City Hall is attached to the Civic Center, one possibility is to simply remodel part of the Civic for city needs.

Architects have said converting the Civic’s Centennial Hall into city offices is not feasible, Zavoral said. Now they’re examining whether the Civic Auditorium could be converted.

Right now, City Hall has 24,000 square feet. City officials would like about 60,000 square feet, Zavoral said.

A project could cost $6 million to $9 million.

“I wish we could start tomorrow,” Zavoral said.

But looming needs such as flood protection for the city’s south side mean a new City Hall is not a top priority, both Zavoral and Mayor Dennis Walaker said.

No decisions have been made, and nothing firm has been brought to the City Commission, Zavoral said.

Meanwhile, the Fargodome continues to consider the possible addition, expected to cost roughly $30 million.

Committees meeting this month will comb through the market analysis, starting with a Building Committee on Thursday.

If the Dome Authority recommends approval of the addition, the City Commission will likely give it, City Commissioner Brad Wimmer predicts.

He said the city will then look closely at uses for the Civic, and examine how the dome addition could affect the Urban Plains Center and other event centers.

“We don’t want to duplicate,” Wimmer said. “We don’t want to work against each other. We want to make sure our event centers are successful.”

Walaker said he doesn’t think a dome addition will affect the Civic.

“The people that use the Civic Center are looking at a smaller venue, with specific needs,” he said.

The proposed dome addition would aim at events too big for the Civic but too small for the dome.

Still, the dome market analysis, done by Conventions Sports and Leisure of Wayzata, Minn., found that the Civic could be a competitor, particularly for concerts and events that could be accommodated by the arena but not the larger Fargodome.

If the Civic ceased operating in its current configuration at some point, the dome or new arena could potentially increase the number of events they host, the report said.

Still, Dome General Manager Rob Sobolik said the idea of shifting events to the Fargodome isn’t something under consideration.

Nor are other suggestions for potential revenue enhancement, he said.

They include establishing an in-house catering service, bringing in trade shows by working with NDSU’s business and technology corridors, or considering more floor space for conventions at the new facility.

“There hasn’t been any serious discussion on any of those at this time,” Sobolik said.

F-Misthebest
Apr 10, 2008, 3:52 AM
http://www.shadow-wood.net/

When you get there, click on the link at the bottom and click on the pdf file for the Master Plan. Read the first page too.

Doc
Apr 10, 2008, 4:14 PM
Walkable, yes, but New Urbanism needs to have workplaces, civicspaces, and retail built within walking distance. I like the green space, but without the integration of the different facets, it's just a greenspace intensive suburbanism.

SmileyBoy
Apr 10, 2008, 8:34 PM
Only 6 out of the first 47 lots in the First Addition have been sold. Need to sell a lot more than that.

wilson
Apr 14, 2008, 1:38 AM
Fourth floor is going up on that building as we speak.

Is this the building that is gonna be 4 businesses on the bottom, and student apartments on top? I think one of the businesses is gonna be Moe's. Or is that going on campus itself?

F-Misthebest
Apr 14, 2008, 3:20 AM
That's the Bison Block www.bisonblock.com It's on 12 avenue. I think they're talking about just apartments.

Spocket
Apr 14, 2008, 4:00 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but is it just me, or does reading about more strip malls just make you want to scream "stop building the damn things!!!". With the article stating that there is somewhere around 70 strip malls in the area, it makes one think. If you say the average strip mall has 5 stores/businesses in it, what if they would have just built a larger mall somewhere else in the metropolitan area. Yeah, I know many of the stores and shops are duplicated (Starbucks for example), but heck thats 350 businesses really spread out. If you would have concentrated that, you could have probably had another mall built and close to 95% occupancy with 150 stores. Here's another question, when is West Acres going to go through a major expansion. (I'm not talking food court, I'm talking the addition of up to 50 or more stores.) They've got all that land available if you pretty much demolish savers and the old Menard's site. Heck you could easily add another 40-50 stories with a multi-storey structure and have a skyway so shoppers can get to the new section of mall from the older one.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8792/westacresmallrt1.jpg

Thoughts? (Please pardon the absolutely crude attempt, with little detail and effort, I did on that image...I'm studying for Comps still and was in a rush)

(Glad to see you back FM...)

Strip malls are somewhat better than large centers (malls) because they mean less people travelling in their cars for greater distances. You can line any street with strip malls or plunk them down in middle of any neighbourhood. With large malls that simply isn't possible. For people who want to see their streets lined with people , strip malls aren't the best urban living could or should offer but they are actually better than traditional malls and about a million times better than 'power centers' even if people sometimes confuse the two types of retail developments (a power center is the new style of mall where you get a Wal-Mart, a Home Depot, a grocery store of some kind and a bunch of small retail buildings all spread out across a sea of parking. You can't really even walk from one store to the next , you pretty much have to drive even once you're at a power center)

matthew2109
Apr 14, 2008, 7:51 PM
FYI-Digging has begun at Hilton Garden Inn site, well not digging but the removal of asphalt from the parking lot

edbrewer
Apr 15, 2008, 12:51 PM
Is this a valid announcement? The site won't let me access the page.

SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, ... Local developer Konrad Olson presented his design for a tower on the corner of NP and 4th ...
forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=148553 - 69k - Cached - Similar pages
More results from forum.skyscraperpage.com »[/I][/I]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/ce/Arriva_project-Calgary.png/150px-Arriva_project-Calgary.png

F-Misthebest
Apr 15, 2008, 2:54 PM
This is what he proposed??

wilson
Apr 15, 2008, 4:01 PM
holy crap, no way that happens.

Reichert
Apr 15, 2008, 5:39 PM
That building about has as much chance as the NDSU Bison would have of winning the national championship in hoops now that they're D-I. Although if some off the wall reason it DID happen it could become Fargo's signature icon. Now the only question would be where these people are all going to PARK.

SmileyBoy
Apr 15, 2008, 11:36 PM
Ahem, that skyscraper was an April Fools joke I pulled. Right-click on image properties. :banana:

Sorry for getting folks' hopes up.

SmileyBoy
Apr 15, 2008, 11:43 PM
In actual REALISTIC discussion fodder, I was at City Hall today paying a parking ticket, when I decided to stop in the planning and development office across the hall and talk to one of the people from FMMetroCOG. The guy was kind enough to give me a copy of freshly updated city population stats for Fargo, Moorhead, West Fargo, Dilworth and Horace:

Fargo - 100,477
Moorhead - 34,929
West Fargo - 25,789
Dilworth - 3,942
Horace - 1,828

Whoever said WF is at about 26,000 is right. I was also pleased to see Fargo proper is over 100K now. These are FMMetroCOG stats, not the Census. I would bet the Census in June will say Fargo lost thousands of people this decade in a further expansion of their clerical error.

Time to update the sig line!!

Also, Las Vegas Buffet is closing. No doubt because the food there was HORRIBLE.

NanoBison
Apr 16, 2008, 2:59 AM
Also, Las Vegas Buffet is closing. No doubt because the food there was HORRIBLE.

No surprise there... worst food I've ever had. Period.

matt35503
Apr 16, 2008, 4:03 AM
Thats great about the population and about Las Vegas buffet shutting down. Why did they need waiters at a buffet is all I want to know...

NysOne
Apr 16, 2008, 1:25 PM
I heard that Las Vegas Buffet was closing to file for bankruptcy...but is going to re-open as "Super Buffet".

Also heard that Outback Steakhouse is closing...no other details.

F-Misthebest
Apr 16, 2008, 3:05 PM
Why would Outback Steakhouse close. I strongly doubt that. Maybe they would close their current location and move somewhere else.

SmileyBoy
Apr 16, 2008, 5:12 PM
I heard that Las Vegas Buffet was closing to file for bankruptcy...but is going to re-open as "Super Buffet".

That can't be true, unless they're changing locations.

F-Misthebest
Apr 16, 2008, 9:44 PM
The City of Fargo website says that the Wal-Mart Supercenter is starting construction in the District. So, I think it would be done by the end of the year.

NanoBison
Apr 22, 2008, 5:25 PM

The Forum just reported that the Outback Steakhouse is indeed closed. Not due to lack of sales, they simply lost their lease on the property. That's unfortunate. They had some of the best potato soup in town.

JoeJoe
Apr 23, 2008, 5:31 AM
Hooters put a "building for lease" sign on their soon to be old building on 17th Ave S today. I also noticed the old Krispy Kreme building is having some work done - wonder who's gotten that location....

NysOne
Apr 23, 2008, 1:28 PM
Beds by Design is going into the old Krispy Kreme building.

matt35503
Apr 24, 2008, 1:59 AM
The City of Fargo website lists a building addition for Hooters with a Fiechtner Dr. address. Thought it was interesting...

NysOne
Apr 24, 2008, 9:40 PM
Hooters is moving to the old Ponderosa...which is on Feichtner Dr. I believe.

F-Misthebest
Apr 25, 2008, 2:18 AM
It looks like at 119 Broadway there's gonna be a new restaurant called Teaberry. I have no other information about it. Also at 2225 13 Ave South, there's a new restaurant called Piccolo Restaurant. http://apps.cityoffargo.com/inspections/planrouting/

F-Misthebest
Apr 26, 2008, 11:24 PM
Ok, does anyone have any comments on this bad weather we just got. I can't believe it.

matthew2109
Apr 27, 2008, 8:44 AM
Ok, does anyone have any comments on this bad weather we just got. I can't believe it.

ya, this sucks, KVLY said 9.1 inches of snow, ugh. At least is melts in like 3 days i guess, but by my count i this has happened four times already where the snow all melted then we get dumped on again

NanoBison
Apr 27, 2008, 3:33 PM
I didn't mind it so much. It's always good exercise for me shoveling a 3 ft drift from the front of my garage. Got to love that Fargo-Moorhead wind. It multiplies any weather we have.

On a brighter note, the Forum reported that the legal battles over the District at the Lakes (52nd Ave : I-29 SW Quadrant) have been resolved and construction should start back up again (of which it was when I left work this Friday). I'm hoping to see a Super Target in there with a slew of brand new restaurants not currently in the metropolitan area.

:)

hellerz85
Apr 28, 2008, 5:21 AM
Hey everyone new to forum!! Love all the discussion on here! Born and raised in fargo for 23 years!! I love fargo!!! Anyways i have a couple questions to ask some of you, to see if you have any answers. First, i was wondering if anyone has heard any rumors of a Sonic Resturant coming to Fargo within a year? Ive heard talk around my office about it. Just wondering if its true, because i always see the commercials and would love one in Fargo:) Second, has anyone heard if they are ever going to build a second TGI Fridays? Because i love that place alot, but its always so damn busy when i go there. I think it would be wise choice for them to build a second on down south? I mean look, applebees has 3 locations, buffalo wild wings has 2, Ruby Tuesdays has two!! Looks like TGI Fridays and Chilis are the only ones that have just one! Just curious! Thanks everyone!!

NysOne
Apr 28, 2008, 2:52 PM
Regarding the Sonic rumors...the commercials that we are seeing is a good testament to why cable advertising doesn't work...can you imagine a Sonic surviving in this weather? Although I would love to have one here, I'm not holding my breath.

matthew2109
Apr 28, 2008, 5:10 PM
can you imagine a Sonic surviving in this weather?

There are some Sonics that dont have the 'drive-in' aspect and are just a building where you can go in and sit down and eat like other restaurants or fast food joints

hellerz85
Apr 28, 2008, 5:38 PM
Ya ive heard of ones without drive thrus. It would be nice to have one up here, but i think actually what i would want is a damn Dave and Busters!! That place just looks sooo awesome!!

tuckerboy
Apr 28, 2008, 6:40 PM
just to take a moment to say hello. Iv'e been reading everyone's comments for some time and have found to be interesting, humorous, enlightening. I am in sales and I do find some of the information usefull. I would like to find out more with new businesses. Perhaps in building permits. any suggesstions on who to see at city hall?

Doc
Apr 29, 2008, 2:14 AM
Walked through the 102 Broadway building today. Very nice indeed. Apparantly, all of the new buildings will have green roofs (the 300 Broadway condos, 102 Broadway, and the Roberts Lofts). Very light inside and will have roof patio for tenants.

NysOne
Apr 29, 2008, 5:30 PM
There are some Sonics that dont have the 'drive-in' aspect and are just a building where you can go in and sit down and eat like other restaurants or fast food joints

Seriously?!?! Don't mess with me...I love Sonic...that would be great to have it here... alas there is hope!

SmileyBoy
Apr 29, 2008, 9:00 PM
If Sonic can thrive in Sioux Falls, it can thrive in Fargo-Moorhead.

rrskylar
Apr 30, 2008, 2:26 PM

How is Sonic any different from Culver's which quite frankly is hardly impressive?

matthew2109
Apr 30, 2008, 7:25 PM
Seriously?!?! Don't mess with me...I love Sonic...that would be great to have it here... alas there is hope!

Not messing with you, im from Austin and we have a handful of Sonics that dont have the drive in part. You go in, order and sit down

F-Misthebest
May 1, 2008, 5:21 AM
Fargo leads nation’s cleanest cities
Associated Press
Published Thursday, May 01, 2008

LOS ANGELES – Fargo has been named one of the cleanest cities in America, according to the American Lung Association.

A city outside California has for the first time been named the sootiest in the nation, one of the categories the American Lung Association uses to determine the most polluted cities in the country.

Los Angeles still took the all-around pollution title, though.

Pittsburgh overtook Los Angeles in the category that measures short-term particle pollution or soot. Los Angeles, the country’s longtime soot and smog leader, has enacted aggressive measures to tackle sources of pollution, resulting in a substantial drop in particle pollution levels, said Janice Nolen, the association’s assistant vice president of national policy and advocacy.

Los Angeles held its own in two other categories measuring year-round soot levels and smog. And statewide, 26 of California’s 52 counties with air quality monitoring stations got failing grades for having either high ozone days or particle pollution days.

The association’s “State of the Air: 2008” report, being released today, was based on air quality measurements reported to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency by state and local agencies between 2004 and 2006. The study looks at three key pollution measures.

The eight metropolitan areas considered to be the nation’s most polluted by every measure were Los Angeles, Bakersfield, Fresno, Visalia-Porterfield and Hanford-Corcoran, all in California; Washington-Baltimore; St. Louis; and Birmingham, Ala.

The cleanest cities were Fargo, and Salinas, Calif.

The rankings were based on ozone pollution levels produced when heat and sunlight come into contact with pollutants from power plants, cars, refineries and other sources. The lung association also studied particle pollution levels emitted from these sources, which are made up of a mix of tiny solid and liquid particles in the air.

NanoBison
May 1, 2008, 2:10 PM
Other cool news, our little thread has surpassed 100,000 views. Not bad at all....

:tup:

SmileyBoy
May 1, 2008, 4:28 PM
Two things I found:

1) The Home Depot in Fargo will now be the only one in the state, as the Bismarck store is closing.

2) You guys know the Union Storage and Transfer building and land on NP Avenue? The Konrad Olson sign in front of it is now orange with a big old "SOLD" on it. I wonder what kind of development will go there...

F-Misthebest
May 9, 2008, 2:47 AM
Hopefully the Union Storage Building will be some sort of apartment complex that will targeting college students. I think that would be a neat thing.

I drove down to 52nd avenue the other day. The interchange is having a lot of work done, the District is starting, Shanley is adding on, there's a new housing development going on down there, and from University to 25th Street on 52nd avenue is just dirt because they are widening. There's a lot of construction there. :tup:

matthew2109
May 9, 2008, 3:35 PM
new convenience store called Cheetah Mart going will be built in the Osgood area 4669 49th Ave S

hellerz85
May 10, 2008, 3:41 AM
Hey everyone...i work for company in town here. And i recently found out that i will be one of many people moving over to the Multiband building, due to over capicity at our current office. I was told we would be moving into the 1st floor. I was wondering if anyone has like floorplans or pictures of the inside of the building? Im just very curious as to what our new office will look like...thanks everyone

matt35503
May 11, 2008, 4:26 AM
I heard that Linens and Things is going to be closing in Fargo. Sign of the times I suppose...

NysOne
May 12, 2008, 8:43 PM
Drove by the old Ponderosa today...it is now leveled.

matt35503
May 13, 2008, 5:56 AM
Thats where the new Hooters is going right? Also has anyone seen if they have started construction on the new Walmart? I heard that Target, because of their financial situation, is going to wait to open a new store. I heard they might wait a year or more now.

F-Misthebest
May 14, 2008, 9:51 PM
So Monte is leaving Monte's Restaurant because he wants to open his own. So he is opening another restaurant on the base floor of the Lofts on Roberts building downtown. I hear it's supossed to be very Monte's like, so thats good for downtown.

matthew2109
May 15, 2008, 4:32 PM
Rendering of the Fargodome with the new arena attached to it from the In-Forum (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=201249&section=news)

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/Fargodome%20rendering.jpg

NysOne
May 15, 2008, 5:27 PM
Thats where the new Hooters is going right? Also has anyone seen if they have started construction on the new Walmart? I heard that Target, because of their financial situation, is going to wait to open a new store. I heard they might wait a year or more now.

Yes...they're building a new Hooters.

Doc
May 16, 2008, 11:11 PM
Running the Fargo half tomorrow. Any other runners here?

F-Misthebest
May 23, 2008, 11:40 PM
No, but there was close to 13,000 runners. That's really good for the area's economy.

rrskylar
May 26, 2008, 1:59 PM
FYI

Red River revitalization
A tale of two cities' downtowns
Bartley Kives

FARGO, N.D. -- Spying a stranger sauntering into her coffee shop on the main drag in downtown Fargo, the clerk can't seem to resist a little Prairie self-deprecation.

"Hope you aren't blinded by our dazzling skyline," she says, offering up the same sort of unnecessary apology you often hear in Winnipeg.

Ironically, I'm actually in North Dakota's largest city precisely because of the dazzling progress taking place in its historic core.

Once an empty collection of warehouse buildings shunned by locals and Canadian tourists alike, downtown Fargo has quietly undergone a renaissance over the past decade.

A five-block stretch of Broadway, the primary pedestrian-friendly artery, is lined with independent retail stores, restaurants and condos, most of them new. Some condos on adjacent streets are now selling for more than US$400,000.

The Broadway streetscape, meanwhile, has been spruced up to the tune of US$7 million. And it's anchored by a project that should serve as a model for Winnipeg hoteliers hoping to rehabilitate the St. Charles Hotel and Royal Albert Arms.

On the corner of First Avenue stands the stylish Hotel Donaldson, a 17-room boutique hotel that National Geographic Traveller recently named one of North America's top 150 places to stay.

Eight years ago, the Donaldson was a sketchy "character hotel" that served as long-term housing for low-income residents. Guests now spend US$170 to US$330 to spend a night in the Donaldson, whose walls are lined with the work of Fargo-area artists and whose amenities include a spa, a funky street-level lounge and a restaurant specializing in .regional cuisine.

To Winnipeggers obsessed with the endless efforts to revitalize our own enormous downtown, the progress in much smaller Fargo is both impressive and perplexing.

That's because the main stimulus for downtown Fargo's revitalization is a combination of city and state tax incentives that have yet to make their way downstream to Winnipeg.

Back in 1999, the North Dakota state legislature approved the creation of a 20-block "Renaissance Zone" in downtown Fargo, offering a battery of tax incentives to people who purchase, renovate or even rent properties within the area.

Entrepreneurs who build or rehabilitate inside the zone get a five-year city property-tax holiday on the value of any improvements to their properties, plus a five-year exemption on state income tax derived from businesses at that location.

More amazingly, people who purchase condos within the zone also get the state income tax exemption, though it must be pointed out North Dakota has a lower income-tax regime than Manitoba.

Nevertheless, the results have been dramatic. No less than 172 projects have been approved within the Renaissance Zone since 2000, including 67 new housing units, according to senior Fargo planner Bob Stein.

More amazingly, the assessed value of those properties has mushroomed from $15,000 -- essentially, virtually worthless -- to approximately $75 million, Stein claims. Most are still enjoying property-tax holidays but the city has started seeing more revenue.

"When you bring in tax incentives, you start earning more money very quickly," Stein says. "Our downtown is actually growing, and you don't see that in many cities."

Eight years into its 15-year mandate, Fargo's Renaissance Zone now encompasses 38 city blocks. State legislators who were initially leery of the zone -- mostly due to the urban-rural cultural divide in North Dakota -- now embrace it as a success story, says Jim Gilmour, Fargo's planning director.

The revitalization would not have happened without the combination of city and state incentives, he insists.

It's a far different story from Manitoba, where the provincial government is reluctant to add education-tax incentives to Winnipeg's existing property-tax incentives for mixed-use and multi-family dwellings.

The project-by-project revitalization of downtown Fargo has accomplished more in eight years than any government megaproject, Gilmour says.

"Instead of hitting a homer, we're hitting lots and lots of singles," he says, claiming Fargoans now see their downtown in a new light.

"People say it to me all the time: 'Boy, I remember when downtown was such a dive,'" says Karen Stoker Burgum, the plucky owner of the Hotel Donaldson, which now serves as a symbol of Fargo's revitalization.

"Responsibility is not the right word, but I wanted to do something for this city," she says. "It really does take a spark."

bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca

sodak
May 26, 2008, 3:12 PM
Is there an estimate available for how many residential units exist in downtown Fargo, or how many people live in downtown?

F-Misthebest
May 27, 2008, 4:07 PM
Well I know that in an older downtown brochure it said that 17,000 live, work, and relax in downtown everyday.

F-Misthebest
May 27, 2008, 4:14 PM
Cancer center to reduce travel
Erin Hemme-Froslie, The Forum
Published Friday, May 23, 2008

Cancer patients in west-central Minnesota will have a closer option for treatment.

Lake Region Healthcare and the Fergus Falls Medical Group plan to build a $9.6 million free-standing cancer care and research center that will open in late 2009.

The center will consolidate existing services such as chemotherapy and social services and offer new ones, including radiation therapy, said Dr. Paul Etzell, an oncologist and co-chairman of the cancer center fundraising committee.

“This is going to be a jewel,” he said.

Cancer centers in communities like Fergus Falls, population 14,000, are rare, said Kami Norland of the Rural Health Resource Center in Duluth, Minn. Patients in rural areas typically drive into larger cities for cancer services.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/848/cancercenterqj4.jpg
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/930/cancercenterlocalow8.jpg

“That’s a burden on a person receiving treatment,” she said. “When you’re sick, you want to be closer to your friends and family.”

Right now Lake Region patients who need radiation drive for an hour to Fargo or Alexandria, Minn., for treatment.

Some patients must travel five times a week for six or seven weeks, said Dr. Wade Swenson, a Fergus Falls oncologist, in a written statement. As a result, some people make treatment decisions based on how often they have to travel, he said.

MeritCare Roger Maris Cancer Center in Fargo, which treated more than 1,600 new patients last year, said its focus won’t change with the addition of another cancer center in the region.

“Our depth and breadth of services for adults and children is unsurpassed in the region, including participation in over 70 research studies,” said Kathy Hanish, the Fargo cancer center’s executive partner, in a written statement.

Lake Region Healthcare and the Fergus Falls Medical Group diagnose about 1,000 patients with cancer each year. Etzell, the fundraising committee chairman, estimated about 400 of those people travel for radiation therapy.

Once the Fergus Falls cancer center is open, health care providers there will be able to treat most cancers, he said.

The two Fergus Falls medical organizations hope to pay for the cancer center with private donations and grants from Minnesota-based foundations, Etzell said. More than $3 million – one-third of that from the hospital – already has been raised, he said.

Fergus Falls Medical Group has 45 physicians and 230 employees. Lake Region Heathcare employs 650.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Erin Hemme Froslie at (701) 241-5534

Ex-Ithacan
May 27, 2008, 4:40 PM
Geez, have I ever missed out on a ton of stuff. It's been so long since I checked this thread out, I can't remember where I left off. I did go back a few pages to catch up a bit, and it seems Fargo is still booming. I like the idea of combining the Fargodome and an arena (hope there's enough parking if both are being used at the same time). I guess I better check in more frequently to see whatsup in ND. And it's nice to see so many contributors to the thread. Way to go guys.

F-Misthebest
May 27, 2008, 5:15 PM
The Fargo-Moorhead Downtown Framework plan has had its final updates made to it.

http://www.cityoffargo.com/attachments/c9d3045f-fdf3-4753-9335-43c8c361819a/FM%20Framework%20Plan%20Final%208-15-07%20w%203-18-08%20edits.pdf

F-Misthebest
May 27, 2008, 9:45 PM
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6522/favoritedowntownbuildinfz2.jpg

This is one of my favorite buildings downtown.

F-Misthebest
May 29, 2008, 4:51 AM
Restaurant plan could earn $75,000 for dome
Published Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Fargodome could receive $75,000 over three years for giving up two acres of land on the northwest corner of its property, a Dome Authority member said Tuesday.

Darrell Vanyo said the North Dakota State University Research and Technology Park’s offer would be contingent on finding a developer willing to build a restaurant near 19th Avenue North.

The park would have a public bidding process for the project, said Vanyo, who read from but did not distribute a letter that research park Executive Director Tony Grindberg sent to Dome Authority President Ryn Pitts.

It also includes a provision to share parking with the tech parking, making up for the estimated 300 overflow parking spots the dome would lose.

Vanyo and Fargodome General Manager Rob Sobolik would not give The Forum a copy of the letter until they had permission from Pitts, who didn’t attend Tuesday’s Dome Authority meeting.

The city-owned dome has been mulling a request since fall 2007 to give up two acres of about 53 acres it leases from the state.

The land would be used for the restaurant, additional classroom space and parking.

Adding a commercial food laboratory could benefit NDSU’s hospitality and tourism management program, said Virginia Clark Johnson, dean of the college of human development and education.

“This is something that many programs have, and as we look to be one of the best, you certainly want a lab like we’re talking about here,” she said.

The hospitality and tourism management program already works with Candlewood Suites, a restaurant adjacent to the two acres.

Earlier this month, the dome Building Committee met with Grindberg and Clark Johnson and recommended working out details of the request. Grindberg made the offer two days later, Vanyo said.

Grindberg said before Tuesday’s meeting that he hopes to be able to request proposals later this year and start construction in spring 2009. He did not attend the meeting.

In other business:

- Sobolik said April was the dome’s highest-grossing month in the building’s history, with a net income of $345,487. Bon Jovi played a sold-out concert April 19.

- Sobolik said the dome would lose money after a May 25 Kanye West concert was canceled. Based on ticket sales, the dome would likely have lost money on the show if it had been held, Sobolik said.

He said he doesn’t yet know the price on the dome’s buyout.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Andrea Domaskin at (701) 241-5556

F-Misthebest
May 30, 2008, 1:32 AM
Hey Smiley where did you get the info that Fargo's population is 100,477?

SmileyBoy
May 30, 2008, 1:40 AM
Hey Smiley where did you get the info that Fargo's population is 100,477?

I went to the city planning office and the guy who works with MetroCOG gave me the latest info sheet.

SmileyBoy
May 30, 2008, 1:40 AM
Speaking of Fargo growth, here's a caveman who doesn;t want it at all:

http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/203143

Chas F. Lein, Fargo, Letter: Keep Fargo’s growth contained
Published Thursday, May 29, 2008

Do we really need another tax? Inflation is taking over our lives with high gas prices, high grocery prices and high prices for almost everything we buy, so why do our leaders want to raise our taxes again?
They keep saying we need growth, but we already have too many people in Fargo. I liked it better when I moved here 20 years ago, when taxes were a lot lower and traffic was much less.
If people want to live in a bigger city they can move to Minneapolis or Chicago. Fargo is big enough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Mr. Lein, if you like living in a small town so much, maybe you should move to Devils Lake or Carrington?? It's people like you who are the impediment to the F-M area's progress.

F-Misthebest
May 30, 2008, 2:00 AM
Yeah I just cannot understand people like that. Anyways, West Acres finally got a new website. Check it out. www.westacres.com

matthew2109
May 30, 2008, 4:57 AM
Yeah I just cannot understand people like that. Anyways, West Acres finally got a new website. Check it out. www.westacres.com

ooooohhhhh, spiffy

NanoBison
May 30, 2008, 5:43 AM
Chas F. Lein, is chronically on the Fargo Forum website "talk" section. The individual has commented numerous times to being retired and old age. "clien" as they go by, typically does nothing but piss and moan about growth, taxes, populations, traffic, the fargodome (called it a waste of money), the civic center, fargo school system, NDSU, Big Government, the 10 Commandments Monument, the fargo marathon and even Microsoft (pissed they got a property tax break).

It's nothing more than a bitter individual, who thankfully has no pull or real voice in this city and their opinion piece was of the type that typically gets ignored before one finishes reading it.

I would tend to ignore someone who pisses about giving Microsoft several million in property tax breaks when they are, after all is said and done, build three more buildings (after the two they are currently working on) and employee up to nearly 4,000 people. We all know the wages Microsoft pays are some of the highest in the city. Anyone who bitches about that, well, is old and senile.

The reason the Forum publishes opinions articles like that is, well, to show how crazy some people are. It's supposed to get you worked up, which it did, ... which is a good thing. :)

On a side note, I've been very busy this summer. I haven't really had the time to go out and snap some pics. There's a bit of construction all over the metropolitan area, but my schedule hasn't permitted me to capture any of it. Maybe I'll take a well deserved vacation and go out with a camera for a day or two...

That's what I've got.

F-Misthebest
May 30, 2008, 5:04 PM
ooooohhhhh, spiffy

:haha:

In the Urban Plains retail center thing has a couple new buisinesses including Nails Pro(I think...some nails place), and Good Feet. South Fargo is really taking off, construction wise, for the summer. North fargo is slowly getting some new projects in the technology park, fargodome, and the Stop 'n Go Center place. Downtown is looking good with the three Kilbourne Projects, the Library, and NDSU downtown.

matthew2109
May 30, 2008, 5:18 PM
Courts Plus Southwest Express is opening in the Southwest Arena. It will be just weights and cardio stuff only

Courts Plus SW (http://www.courtsplus.org/pdf/southwestexpressinfosheet.pdf)

F-Misthebest
Jun 2, 2008, 12:14 AM
Former flooring building scheduled for renovation
Published Sunday, June 01, 2008

The former Dakota Flooring building is next in line for a makeover as downtown Fargo continues to reinvent itself.

Fargo architect Terry Stroh said his Bristol Street Development closes June 10 on the property at 8 7th St. N. and plans to completely renovate it.

Stroh’s firm, T. L. Stroh Architects and Interiors, will move into the basement and first floor of the 1929 three-story building from its smaller quarters at 313 NP Ave.

Part of North Dakota State University’s visual arts development may move into one of the upper floors, Stroh told the Renaissance Zone Authority last week.

The building is ugly on the outside but “really cool on the inside,” Stroh said.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7271/newbuildingdowntownra5.jpg
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1183/strohlocationgx8.jpg

Stroh said he bought the building for about $500,000 and will put about $1.3 million of work into it.

He plans to expose massive timbers on the inside of the building, add a strip of green space on the north side and create a canopy somewhat similar to what the Plains Art Museum has next door.

Stroh said the south wall of the building needs work but that he can’t work on it because he doesn’t own it. It’s actually part of a parking lot owned by someone else, he said. The Renaissance Zone Authority voted Wednesday to recommend including the project in its renaissance zone.

Senior Planner Bob Stein said Stroh’s application ranked well on the criteria the city uses to evaluate projects for the 8-year-old zone.

“It’s just a good project,” Stein said.

If city commissioners agree, the building will be eligible for a five-year property tax exemption and a five-year state income tax exemption.

Currently, the building has vacant retail space on the first floor and apartments on the upper floors. Stroh said there will be no residential units once the building is renovated.

In other business, downtown businessman Rick Engen asked to establish a third Renaissance Zone Fund.

Engen said he wants to go back to the original intent of Renaissance Zone Funds by having a focus on downtown.

The Renaissance Zone Authority directed city employees to find out how many tax credits the investment fund would have available and to create a draft of rules for the proposed fund.

Renaissance Zone Funds are investment funds the North Dakota legislature authorized in 1999 to help develop their renaissance zones. The scope of the investment funds has since been expanded.

Fargo first contracted with a group of local investors called Renaissance Ventures LLC. City commissioners earlier this year approved the North Dakota State University Research & Technology Park’s request for a second fund.

City commissioners are expected to consider an agreement with the research park Monday.

Executive Director Tony Grindberg said Wednesday that the fund will be aimed primarily at the research park but could also be expanded to include downtown.

F-Misthebest
Jun 2, 2008, 12:19 AM
Residents oppose new Boys Ranch
Published Sunday, June 01, 2008

Expect a crowd at Fargo City Hall on Monday, when city commissioners consider a proposal that would allow the Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch to move to an 80-acre parcel of land it owns south of Fargo.

Nearby residents are protesting the project. Their concerns range from how the project would affect property values to the potential for runaways in the neighborhood.

“We have a lockup detention facility that is (going to be) within a few hundred yards of our property,” said James Carlson, president of the Round Hill Association.

Carlson, the co-founder and CEO of PRACS Institute in Fargo, said members at one recent Round Hill Association meeting unanimously voted to oppose the proposal. He can think of one resident in the subdivision of about 25 homes who is not opposed.

The Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch helps emotionally and behaviorally challenged kids. It wants to consolidate its Fargo programs on part of the land it owns southeast of 76th Avenue South and 20th Street.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8582/boysranchrt0.jpg

The facilities in south Fargo now have about 16 residential clients and there are no plans to increase the number, said Tim Eissinger, vice president of residential services for the agency.

Carlson said neighbors have several concerns. Among them, they worry about the impact on their property values. “We are dealing with some fairly spendy homes out here,” he said.

Opponents also point to the lack of city services such as water and sewer. Police protection comes from the Cass County Sheriff’s Department, which Carlson said may not have the day-to-day contact with the Boys Ranch that Fargo police do.

Runaways are a concern to the neighborhood.

“At the moment we do not think it’s a smart idea. We do not think it is safe for our children,” Carlson said.

Boys Ranch officials say they experience low rates of runaways and that kids who leave are usually returned quickly.

In 2006, the Fargo Boys Ranch had nine runaway incidents from seven residents, said Eric Wilkie, program manager for the organization. They were gone for an average of a little more than seven hours.

In 2007, 10 residents tallied 18 runaway incidents. They were gone, on average, for a little more than five hours.

So far this year, two residents have run away a combined six times. They’ve been gone for about 35 minutes or so.

Eissinger said Round Hill residents have done some good research on the Boys Ranch, even looking into the facility in Minot, N.D. That facility had little to no impact on either the safety or property values of the surrounding neighborhood, he said.

The Fargo School District, which plans a third high school in the general area, has no concerns about the proposal, said Dan Huffman, superintendent for business services.

“They’re mostly our kids,” he said.

Boys Ranch officials will be on hand Monday when city commissioners consider whether to approve zoning that would allow the facility to be built. The land is now zoned agricultural.

Carlson said he cannot attend the meeting Monday, but he expects other neighborhood residents to be there.

Nearly 35 neighbors in Round Hill and Granberg subdivisions have given the city protest petitions, though just two protesting properties are close enough to the proposed rezoning to count toward the legal protest.

If owners of 20 percent of property within 300 feet of a proposed rezoning object, the request would require support from four of five commissioners to pass.

The city calculated protests from .4 percent of property owners in the 300-foot area.

Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker said the city will still listen to what neighbors have to say.

“What it gets down to is we’ll try and make a decision that’s good for everybody,” he said.

F-Misthebest
Jun 2, 2008, 12:32 AM
One last thing. I was just digging up some fargo development stuff and found these two things. The first being the Bonanzaville Masterplan.

http://www.jlgarchitects.com/work/bonanzaville.html

This one I don't think ever happened but too bad they didn't choose this one because I like it a lot better than what they did in downtown Moorhead.

http://www.jlgarchitects.com/work/moorhead-redev.html

Click on the arrow buttons to see all the pictures.

F-Misthebest
Jun 4, 2008, 5:01 AM
Capital idea
Craig McEwen, The Forum
Published Wednesday, June 04, 2008

A Fargo developer has revamped and expanded a proposed $6 million business center into a $17.5 million five-building commercial condominium project.

In December, Robert H. Leslie, president and CEO of Lexstar Development and Construction, announced plans to build Capital Square, an eight-acre complex along 43rd Street South between 15th and 17th avenues South in Fargo. The project was to contain a two-story, 40,000-square-foot office building, an eight-story residential condominium and a standalone restaurant.

Lexstar will instead build five separate buildings on the same site, which will lower lease costs from $17.50 to $18.50 per square-foot to $13.50 to $14.50 per square foot, Leslie said.

The new Capital Square footprint will offer two one-story buildings of 15,000 square feet each, and three two-story buildings of 30,000 square feet each, one with underground parking, Leslie said.

The complex will serve as a business plaza with a park-type entrance.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9581/capitalsquaregl7.jpg

“It’s set up so you can purchase or lease. It’s the client’s option,” Leslie said.

Potential tenants include high-tech companies, doctors and attorneys, he said.

“We listened to what our customers’ concerns were with the first building,” he said.

Some found the initial plan to be a little too extravagant, said Kelly Parrett, Lexstar sales director and property coordinator.

“We’re going to condominiumize. It’s a commercial condominium; no residential, all commercial,” Parrett said.

He said the restaurant is still in the picture. “It’s a separate project.”

The Capital Square project is compatible with other developments in that area of south Fargo, said Jim Gilmour, Fargo city planner.

“It’s a typical use for areas around regional shopping centers,” he said.

Construction is expected to start in July, he said.

“We will have the first building ready, guaranteed, by April of next year,” Leslie said.

Readers can reach Forum Business Editor Craig McEwen at (701) 241-5502

Personally I would prefer the first plan, but this one is better. I guess I just wanted an eight story building out there. Oh well, maybe an eight story building will go downtown instead. And Obama got the nomination, not so happy about that.

wilson
Jun 4, 2008, 7:34 AM
BOOOO. So instead of a cool eight story condo unit, we get more boring 2 story buildings that will just disappear in the background. YAY!

F-Misthebest
Jun 4, 2008, 4:08 PM
DMI Industries plans $20M expansion
Tracy Frank, The Forum
Published Wednesday, June 04, 2008

West Fargo-based DMI Industries is adding 50 to 75 employees at its local plant in a $20 million expansion expected to increase wind tower production by 40 percent.

There are currently 350 employees at the West Fargo site. DMI Industries, an Otter Tail Corp. subsidiary, employs more than 700 people among its West Fargo, Tusla, Okla, and Ft. Erie, Ontario, locations.

The company is also expanding its Tulsa plant capacity by 100 percent.

Once the expansions are complete, DMI will be the largest wind tower manufacturer in North America, a news release stated.

“When it brings more jobs, that means more residents and more dollars are spent on housing construction and retail. … Hopefully it will bring more students into our school system,” said Chris Barton, West Fargo Area Chamber of Commerce executive director. “The $20 million expansion is just going to keep the economy strong for the city of West Fargo.”

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8105/dmiindustriesmj8.jpg

The growth is a response to increased customer demand, said Chuck Hoge, Otter Tail Corp. manufacturing platform vice president.

“The whole industry is going really strong,” Hoge said in a phone interview. “The center of the country, from North Dakota on down … that’s where a lot of this wind (energy) is going to be put in place and we need to add capacity for some of our current and future customers because they’ve got a lot of projects that need more towers.”

The West Fargo site expansion, the first phase of a strategic development plan for the facility, will streamline the production process through improvements in layout and productivity.

A new building will be constructed adjacent to the one now at 420 Main Ave., Hoge said.

“It’s exciting for us to put capacity in place when we know most of it’s already spoken for by our customers,” said Hoge, adding the growth in wind energy could be explained by U.S. energy demands, that wind currently is being delivered at a good price and that it’s renewable.

DMI Industries acquired the Oklahoma facility, which shipped its first tower in mid-May, less than a year ago.

Both facilities will begin their projects immediately and will be ready to accommodate 2009 and 2010 production demands, Stefan Nilsson, DMI president, said in a news release.

The total investment at both facilities will be approximately $30 million and will add at least 350 more skilled workers, the news release stated.

“The employment increases in terms of payroll and the ripple effect through the economy is very significant,” said Brian Walters, Greater Fargo Moorhead Economic Development Corp. president. “The tax base expansion ultimately that goes with them increasing their capacity is good for our taxing jurisdictions and our taxpayers.”

Gov. John Hoeven commended DMI Industries for its announced expansion and said in a news release that it signifies healthy growth in the wind power industry.

North Dakota has worked to stimulate growth in the industry through a series of finance and tax incentives.

The state’s wind energy production has increased from less than one half a megawatt a few years ago, to more than 1,500 megawatts built or in development today, a news release stated.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Tracy Frank at (701) 241-5526

NanoBison
Jun 4, 2008, 5:28 PM
Yeah, I'm also not thrilled about the news on the Capital Square. "Some found the initial plan to be a little too extravagant"... should be worded as "Some found the initial plan to be a little too expensive". While I was initially thrilled about an 8 floor building going in, I thought the location was kinda stupid. It's right smack between the parking lot for the US Bank Service Center and that rundown Chinese restaurant (sorry if you like that place). It would be more appropriate closer to the Multiband tower than where it was planned to go. Either that or put it downtown.

While I'm happy with the energy downtown is gaining, it still needs much more in my opinion. Right now it's a collection of niche shops and stores. Lack of mid-range cost restaraunts isn't helping the situation either. I'm extremely anxious though for the NDSU College of Business building to open up and the NDSU Architecture Building to open up. I can't wait to see what 4,000 students a day is going to do to downtown.

I also think they should wait on the Performing arts center and concentrate on building up the downtown density some more. It'd be good to see another highrise/hotel/office/residential tower go up.

Also, does anyone have any idea on what's going up directly north of the Fargo Microsoft Campus? I drive by it every day and it looks like it's almost finished, but there's no signage what-so-ever stating what it's going to be. It's just south of the Woodhaven Office complex (L shaped building - where Microsoft is also the major tenant ;) )

matthew2109
Jun 4, 2008, 6:23 PM
. It's right smack between the parking lot for the US Bank Service Center and that rundown Chinese restaurant

the price of the land musta been cheap.

Does anyone know if they are connecting 44th Street?? i see the land excavated underneath those eye sores called the power lines :shrug:

F-Misthebest
Jun 5, 2008, 3:43 AM
Downtown on Main Avenue they are doing another storefront rehabilitation at 608 and 610 main avenue. Also in southwest fargo in an office park across the street from Hornbacher's, they are building 46 row home style townhomes.

matthew2109
Jun 7, 2008, 12:25 AM
West Fargo will soon be home to a technology center that community leaders say will help bring high-paying jobs to the area.

Marcil Technologies, a software development company, is creating the West Fargo Technology Center in The Pioneer Center shopping plaza located at 13th Avenue and 9th Street.

Marcil Technologies is a labor and project management solution provider that started a few months ago in Fargo.

The first phase of the plan, expected to take three to four months, is to move the company into its West Fargo location.

The second phase, which will occur over the next year, is the construction of a technology park and event center.

“This is a really early stage for what we think could be a massive build-out on the other side of Ninth Avenue when the overpass comes in,” said Mike Marcil, CEO of The Marcil Group, Inc., a Fargo-based diversified operating company that deals in real estate, technology and other related businesses.

Marcil Technologies is a spin-off of The Marcil Group.

In-Forum (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=204067&section=news&freebie_check&CFID=43481212&CFTOKEN=99203912&jsessionid=8830cd11a14b345d6155)