PDA

View Full Version : Fargo-Moorhead developments information

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Strayone
May 12, 2007, 1:43 AM
SmileyBoy thanks for the info, I am a Nodak native who grew up in Wahpeton. I spent alot of good times in the FM area, and it would be great to see Fargo get a new signature building. From what I've seen on this thread the city is hopping.

F-Misthebest
May 14, 2007, 9:29 PM
So did any of the Fargoan students graduate? If so, how was graduation?

Archiseek
May 14, 2007, 10:13 PM
I was in Fargo this weekend.
You have a wonderful small city there folks - liked it a lot....

Here's a few shots - watch out for my new section on my website later this week

http://www.pclerkin.com/blog/uploads/photos_2007/fargo/10.jpg

http://www.pclerkin.com/blog/uploads/photos_2007/fargo/11.jpg

http://www.pclerkin.com/blog/uploads/photos_2007/fargo/12.jpg

http://www.pclerkin.com/blog/uploads/photos_2007/fargo/13.jpg

http://www.pclerkin.com/blog/uploads/photos_2007/fargo/16.jpg

Archiseek
May 15, 2007, 7:07 PM
a few more images just to wet the appetite:

http://usa.archiseek.com/north_dakota/fargo/images/alerus_lge.jpg

http://usa.archiseek.com/north_dakota/fargo/images/aouw_lge.jpg

http://usa.archiseek.com/north_dakota/fargo/images/bank_lge.jpg

http://usa.archiseek.com/north_dakota/fargo/images/black4_lge.jpg

http://usa.archiseek.com/north_dakota/fargo/images/fargo_national_bank_lge.jpg

http://usa.archiseek.com/north_dakota/fargo/images/fargo_theatre3_lge.jpg

http://usa.archiseek.com/north_dakota/fargo/images/ford4_lge.jpg

http://usa.archiseek.com/north_dakota/fargo/images/lutheran_church2_lge.jpg

http://usa.archiseek.com/north_dakota/fargo/images/rc_cathedral2_lge.jpg

http://usa.archiseek.com/north_dakota/fargo/images/rc_cathedral3_lge.jpg

Greco Roman
May 15, 2007, 10:39 PM
Honestly, I'm still wondering why Grand Forks doesn't have any info on here about developments in their city. :sly:

SmileyBoy
May 16, 2007, 5:08 PM
Honestly, I'm still wondering why Grand Forks doesn't have any info on here about developments in their city. :sly:

Probably because Grand Forks is a shithole.

SmileyBoy
May 18, 2007, 1:42 AM
The fairly large swath of land just west of Schlotzky's Deli in front of Lowe's on the corner of 13th and 50th is currently being torn up by backhoes. More restaurants, maybe??

Also, another strip mall going up north of 13th on the east side of 45th. Whoopdee-damn-doo-doo.

Pappy2000
May 18, 2007, 2:24 AM
Whew....I'm worn out after reading 53 pages. Smiley...you have done a great job of keeping this going for sometime, Kudos. I wonder, now that they are working on the Urban Plains area (outside my office window so I can give a daily update if needed), how far off it would be to get someone to invest in putting up a large scale indoor water park? Not the water park that I've seen listed in as being located in the Ramada Plaza Suites (a swimming pool with a slide), but a park similar to the ones in MSP or in the Wisconsin Dells area. An indoor ski slope would be a huge hit in the area as well. As a resident of Fargo for the last 13 years and seeing this city grow, Its about time that they build the things that are not common to this area and build some serious tourism excitement.

BTW...I want Popeye's as well.

Cheers!
Pappy:tup:

F-Misthebest
May 18, 2007, 2:58 AM
Welcome To the Forum Pappy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers: :cheers: I hope you enjoy what you learn and share on this forum.

sodak
May 18, 2007, 3:35 AM
Fargo can and should put in a huge indoor water park. A private developer is doing it in Sioux Falls. Its going in at the intersection of 29 and 90. The proposal includes an 8 story hotel, several 4-5 story office and condo buildings with retail on the first floors and 100,000 square feet of conventional and exhibit space. All of this centered on an indoor water park in league with the Dells. I think the entire thing is valued at over $100 million.

I think it would be a great attribute for Fargo if something like this happened up there as well. I'm sure that if the market exists for this in SF then it could work in Fargo too.

Justin_144
May 18, 2007, 3:45 AM
Does fargo/moorhead have any local secrets when it comes to a place one could go to relax/study, maybe an out of the way coffee house or something to that effect? I ask this because this fall I will be attending college up in MSUM and NDSU and wanted to get the heads up before I get there. Any tips or pointers that could also help are welcomed.

-From the city to the south
Justin

choyak1
May 18, 2007, 3:49 AM
Wow from the pics, Fargo looks like a remarkably clean city. Even those signs appear to be maintained well!

Strayone
May 18, 2007, 5:58 AM
^BTW...I want Popeye's as well.

"Love that chicken from Popeye's " Their website says the craze has swept the nation and the world. It shouldn't be long till the craze infects Fargo, good luck with that. Welcome to the forum.

rrskylar
May 18, 2007, 6:00 AM
Oh my. Where? Yeah? Aw geez. OK, there in a jif. Real good, then.

Archiseek
May 18, 2007, 12:20 PM
Wow from the pics, Fargo looks like a remarkably clean city. Even those signs appear to be maintained well!

it's spotless - surprised me a lot.... reminded me of german towns in its cleanliness, and very friendly.
While having a coffee, all sorts of locals said hello to me and asked me was I enjoying fargo (big ass camera bag on table marks you as tourist)

Pappy2000
May 18, 2007, 9:24 PM
Does fargo/moorhead have any local secrets when it comes to a place one could go to relax/study, maybe an out of the way coffee house or something to that effect? I ask this because this fall I will be attending college up in MSUM and NDSU and wanted to get the heads up before I get there. Any tips or pointers that could also help are welcomed.

-From the city to the south
Justin
Babbs Coffee on Broadway is the place. Comfortable setting and WI-FI available for your Internet access.

NanoBison
May 19, 2007, 5:08 AM
Either Atomic Coffees or Moxie Javas are good for that too.

NYC2ATX
May 19, 2007, 6:45 AM
Probably because Grand Forks is a shithole.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

theres one hell of a shot of self-esteem to the grand forkians!

Doc
May 21, 2007, 5:42 PM

The Atomic Coffees both have wireless. If you don't need wireless, Nichole's Pastries is a nice quiet place to work (and has the best pastries in town). There should be a new coffee place near campus on 12th when they finish building a new 3-story structure. IMHO, NDSU is vastly underserved by the local retail food shops. Hopefully, this will change with the renovation happening near campus. We desperately need more options for study/interaction near campus.

Justin_144
May 22, 2007, 4:04 AM
How is the area around MSUM in moorhead? I will be attending that for the first two years of my education before transfering over to NDSU. Also what is the best place to eat in town. ANY local tips and hints are welcome.... Being from sioux falls i think i have made my way up to north dakota once in my life so i dont know much about the area except that the good coffee shops are downtown.

Pappy2000
May 22, 2007, 2:57 PM
Thanks FM. I hope to post some pics of the ongoing construction outside my windows of the UP project. Has anyone heard of any developers considering building any large scale building, similar to those found in larger cities or perhaps just any project that eclipses the 10 story mark?

Doc
May 22, 2007, 3:15 PM
How is the area around MSUM in moorhead? I will be attending that for the first two years of my education before transfering over to NDSU. Also what is the best place to eat in town. ANY local tips and hints are welcome.... Being from sioux falls i think i have made my way up to north dakota once in my life so i dont know much about the area except that the good coffee shops are downtown.

There are a fair variety of food options in town. If you like the chains, there are a bunch of them on 13th (things like TGIFridays and Chilis). There are a fair number of upscale places to eat. My favorite food in town is at Littlefield's (http://www.littlefields.biz/menu.html). For medium price, I like to eat at the bar at the HoDo (http://www.hoteldonaldson.com). My "bargain" meal is at Jade Dragon on Main Avenue (I like their Vietnamese food the best--great Pho).

The area around MSUM is getting better (lots of development on the Moorhead side of the river--lots of it posted on this thread). More new eateries and lofts being built by the river and closer to the MSUM campus.

sodak
May 22, 2007, 3:17 PM
I'm just curious, maybe some of you can help me out. I was just browsing, and read the Fargo paper. Congrats on the pending Microsoft announcement!

My question though is why is Fargo thinking of building a 3rd high school, when the enrollment growth of the district has stagnated? Wouldn't it make more sense to add on to North and equalize the enrollements of the two existing high schools first? Sioux Falls has three public high school of around 2,000 students each, and has no plans to build a 4th, because most of the growth now is going to suburban districts, which seems to be the case up there.

I'm just curious on what the Fargo district's philosophy on this. It seems like an unnecessary burden on taxpayers up there.

SmileyBoy
May 22, 2007, 4:46 PM
Microsoft announces major Fargo expansion
Melinda Rogers, The Forum
Published Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Microsoft Corp. today announced the first phase of a plan to expand its Fargo campus through constructing a 120,000-square-foot building that will allow space for 575 more employees at the company’s North Dakota location.

The new building, scheduled for completion in 2009, will be the third on Microsoft’s Fargo campus, according to a news release.

Along with constructing a third building, the Redmond, Wash.-based company plans to expand its existing Horizon Building by 65,000-square-feet to add a new café, meeting rooms and a company store.

The expansion also includes “the installation of connecting links between all buildings” on the Fargo campus and renovations to the facility’s Vista Building. Those renovations will add meeting space and landscaping improvements, the news release states.

“The Microsoft Fargo location has significantly expanded its charter over the past several years, and today the campus is home to teams from across the company,” Jeff Raikes, president of the Microsoft Business Division said in a prepared statement.

“The expansion we are announcing today is very exciting and will help position us to keep pace with our growth and the changing needs of our business.”

Raikes and Gov. John Hoeven will further discuss the expansion at a 2 p.m. news conference today in Fargo.

Microsoft’s Fargo campus currently employs 1,293 people, including 956 full time employees and 337 vendors and support staff.

When the expansion is complete, Microsoft projects there will be space for 3,800 employees and vendors.

SmileyBoy
May 22, 2007, 4:50 PM
I'm just curious, maybe some of you can help me out. I was just browsing, and read the Fargo paper. Congrats on the pending Microsoft announcement!

My question though is why is Fargo thinking of building a 3rd high school, when the enrollment growth of the district has stagnated? Wouldn't it make more sense to add on to North and equalize the enrollements of the two existing high schools first? Sioux Falls has three public high school of around 2,000 students each, and has no plans to build a 4th, because most of the growth now is going to suburban districts, which seems to be the case up there.

I'm just curious on what the Fargo district's philosophy on this. It seems like an unnecessary burden on taxpayers up there.

Well, for one thing, Fargo's school districts are split up with West Fargo. Even though the city of West Fargo only has about 24,000 people, the number of people living in West Fargo's school district is actually about 50,000. This is because people in the western part of Fargo (west of 45th) are part of the WF school district. There's even talks of WF building a 2nd high school in the future.

As for the new Fargo high school - Fargo's school district serves a population of 75,000-80,000 people (about 3/4 of the city). There's been tremendous growth in the south part of Fargo east of 45th Street in the past decade, and the new school will accomodate that growth. The only question is what will they rename the current South high school if the new school becomes the new South. Or if they give it a name like Fargo Frontier High School or something like that.

So they're basically responding to a growing population.

Another reason is that in Fargo/West Fargo, the civic leaders try to keep high school sizes smaller than 2,000 students, which ultimately means more high schools. I'm sure Sioux Falls and the 5-city F-M amalgamation have about the same number of HS students, but the difference here is that people don't like 2,000-student schools.

SmileyBoy
May 22, 2007, 4:58 PM
I've got this awful feeling that the new 120,000 sq. ft. building will be a 1-storey, 2-football field sized, ugly flat box...

Although at that square footage, a 6-storey building could be achieved by 142x142 foot floorplates. A 7-storey building would be 131x131 square.

Let's just hope it's not a giant warehouse.

Pappy2000
May 22, 2007, 8:43 PM
http://www.devcon-const.com/1andmont%20adp1.jpg

This Building in Northern San Jose would make a nice addition to our area, and make a pleasant statement when veiwed from the Interstate.

Pappy2000
May 22, 2007, 9:12 PM
Sorry, Slow internet sometimes means duplicate post.

This 120,000 sq. ft. building in San Jose is something that I would like to see built for this area.

Ex-Ithacan
May 22, 2007, 11:06 PM
^^ Looks pretty good to me. Let's hope.

NanoBison
May 23, 2007, 6:00 PM
Here's a rendering of the new Microsoft "Phase I" expansions plans. They won't be 6 or 7 floor buildings, they'll most likely be 2-3 floors. At the same time, I wouldn't worry about having a huge warehouse looking building. All the Microsoft buildings currently at the campus are pretty nice. I expect the new ones to be just as techy.

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/9678/campusrenderdn1.jpg

p.s. the article also stated that when the expansion is complete there will be room for 3,800 employees compared to the current ~1,200. That's only GOOD for the entire metropolitan area!

:tup:

SmileyBoy
May 23, 2007, 6:28 PM
Looks like the new building will be 3 storeys. Horizon is 2 floors, and the new building stands taller than Horizon.

Oh well, at least they didn't make it a flat 1 floor board-looking thing.

NanoBison
May 24, 2007, 5:52 PM
The area being dug up between Texas Roadhouse and Schlotzsky's appears to be another gas station. They had three gigantic storage tanks getting ready to be buried underground. I would assume they would be for gas. Wonderful, another gas station in town.....

Pappy2000
May 25, 2007, 6:30 PM
Has anyone heard what is going into UNO's Pizza building?

F-Misthebest
May 26, 2007, 3:24 PM
Hectors try again with new proposal for land near 52nd
Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Saturday, May 26, 2007

Fargo landowners Fred and Earlyne Hector have offered yet another land-use option for their property northeast of 52nd Avenue South and Interstate 29, this time with smaller commercial space but significantly more office area.

Controversy has swirled around the 118-acre parcel since Wal-Mart confirmed plans to build a supercenter there in fall 2005.

The Hectors originally asked the city to increase the commercial area from about 10 acres to 50 acres, but the Planning Commission denied the request. Wal-Mart, facing strong neighborhood opposition, pulled out of its purchase agreement with the Hectors.

In April, the Hectors again asked for a growth plan amendment and also a zoning change for 50 acres of commercial use. A second option suggested 49 acres.

Late Thursday, the Hectors submitted a third option to the Planning Department. It reduces the commercial area to 45 acres, but boosts the office space to a 300- to 500-foot-wide strip north of the commercial area.

The Planning Commission is scheduled to hear the Hectors’ request June 13.

However, the Planning Commission on May 9 recommended 35 acres of commercial use – an amount that many neighbors, worried about the effects on traffic and their home values, said is still too much.

The City Commission is scheduled to hear that recommendation June 18.

“It seems a little odd (for the Hectors) to do this once there’s already something in the works. It confuses the issue,” Senior Planner Jim Hinderaker said Friday.

The recommendation before the City Commission was initiated by city planning staff. The Hectors’ request has yet to be heard.

The same map submitted by the Hectors on Thursday proposes 83.2 acres of commercial use in the northwest corner of I-29 and 52nd Avenue South.

That’s “probably a little more than what we’re comfortable supporting,” Hinderaker said.

Jonathan Garass, an attorney for the Hectors, wrote in a letter Thursday to the City Commission that the Hectors “seek to provide reasonable alternatives that will enhance their own land and the surrounding area.”

“The Hectors know that they cannot meet the expectations of certain vocal critics that have no legal or factual basis – the Hectors are not prepared to give up their rights as long-term, committed, and caring residents of this community,” he wrote.

The Hectors hope for an immediate decision by the Planning Commission on June 13 and subsequent action by the City Commission “on an expedited basis,” Garaas wrote.

A neighborhood meeting on the Hectors’ growth plan request is scheduled for 6 to 8 p.m. June 12 at Kennedy Elementary School, 4401 42nd St. S. Attendees also will have a chance to provide input on the proposed Maple Valley Addition south of Frontier, Hinderaker said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Mike Nowatzki at (701) 241-5528

F-Misthebest
May 26, 2007, 3:35 PM
Sorry I haven't posted for a while but I was finishing school, went to Winnipeg, and now I am in Lincoln, Nebraska. My Winnipeg trip was very nice. I went to the Forks, Polo Park Mall, the Manitoba Museum, the zoo, the Royal Canadian Mint, Grand Prix Amusement Park, the Dalnavert House, a swimming pool, Perkins, and I think that's it. All in two days might I add. I had a blast there and found it to be quite nice. A lot of the town is old which is not a bad thing, however, there was a lot of new construction going on on the outskirts of town like all cities. The people were friendly and said eh a lot which I found to be very funny. Anyways, now I am in Lincoln for my grandmas 70th birthday and Memorial Day and it's kind of a family reunion. It's rather fun.

I went to the Fargo Airport web page just recently and looked at the construction pictures and was ver pleased. It's going to look very nice for all the travelers that come in and out of Fargo. The expansion and the painting, and the simple remodeling is very nice and I am very pleased with what the outcome is so far. :cheers: :cheers:

NanoBison
May 27, 2007, 2:47 AM

I know they had a Mobile Rib Grilling Truck outside the building for quite a few days. I haven't driven past it yet recently. Perhaps another BBQ and Rib joint? Or possibly something else we haven't seen yet in town? I think Smiley made a comment on it a few weeks ago, but I can't find it... (too many pages to go through...)

NanoBison
May 28, 2007, 10:03 PM
One the way to work today and out at lunch I noticed foundation work is progressing along nicely for the 4 storey Roer's Development on 19th/University near the Fargodome and the twin LLC on NDSU.

I'm in the process of moving this week and starting a new job next week. Hopefully after that, I take some nice photos around town and put them up here.

ajays
May 31, 2007, 5:14 PM

I saw in the classified section of The Forum that the old Uno's location is hiring for Spitfire Bar & Grill.

SmileyBoy
Jun 1, 2007, 2:34 AM
There's framing going up on a building next to McDonald's on 45th St. southeast of Home Depot. Maybe another fast food franchise to stuff down our bloated cakeholes...

SmileyBoy
Jun 1, 2007, 4:27 AM
I-94 and 45th Street options detailed
Benny Polacca, The Forum
Published Thursday, May 31, 2007

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/0531-I94and45th.jpg

Improvements at the Interstate 94 and 45th Street South interchange in Fargo are being planned to accommodate the area’s increased traffic flows.

State Department of Transportation plans call for widening the 45th Street bridge over the interstate from four to six lanes to match 45th Street’s six lanes. Plans are also being reviewed to handle large traffic flows onto westbound I-94.

Agency officials and consultants presented two construction options Wednesday at a public meeting in Fargo that could address those concerns.

“We’re looking at significant growth along this corridor over the next 30 years,” said Brian Ray, an engineer with HWS Consulting Group.

The Omaha, Neb.-based company is working with the DOT on the construction plans.

Kevin Gorder, an assistant district engineer with the DOT, said the project is slated to be completed in 2010, but the date could change.

“If we have something that pops up, we could move the completion date up,” he said of potential huge development in the area.

Two options presented Wednesday call for widening the bridge to six lanes. They differ in addressing westbound I-94 traffic:

One plan calls for building two right-turn lanes for southbound 45th Street traffic heading west onto I-94. This plan would also add two left-turn lanes for northbound traffic onto the same westbound I-94 on-ramp.

The other plan would add a loop-ramp in the northeast quadrant of the interchange for northbound 45th Street traffic heading westbound onto I-94.

Ray said planners also worked with Fargo-Moorhead Metropolitan Council of Governments officials, who helped provide traffic studies.

The department also took written input from meeting attendees and said those comments will be considered when plans are decided on later this year.

John Olson, manager of HOM Furniture, said widening the bridge is a good idea because it could allow better accessibility for store customers coming from the north. HOM Furniture is immediately southwest of the interchange.

Steve Salwei, a DOT engineer, estimated the project cost at $8 million, with federal money covering 90 percent and the state paying the remaining 10 percent.

F-Misthebest
Jun 1, 2007, 9:24 PM
Target scouts for land
Published Friday, June 01, 2007

Target Corp. is eyeing land to construct a new store in south Moorhead.

“We are interested in the area. At this time, it would be too soon to discuss further specifics,” said Joshua Thomas, a spokesman for the Twin Cities-based retailer.

Exactly where, when and if the new store will be built is unknown. Whether the existing Target on Highway 10 in Moorhead will stay open if another store is constructed is also unclear.

Moorhead City Planner Deb Martzahn said there are three locations that are zoned to accommodate a big-box retailer.

Those locations include land northwest of Main Avenue and Interstate 94 where Menard’s is building a new store; land in the city’s Comstock Addition southeast of I-94 and Eighth Street behind the strip mall that houses O’Leary’s Pub, CVS Pharmacy and True Value Hardware, and space in the city’s Holiday Center near 24th Avenue and Eighth Street South.

Developers who represent those land parcels said Thursday Target hasn’t inquired about their real estate.

Erroll Bong, owner of Fargo-based North Central Commercial Real Estate Services – which leases space for the Holiday Center complex – said he negotiated with Target a year ago but the company decided Holiday Center’s site wasn’t big enough for the type of store they wanted to build.

Jeff Schaumann, a developer representing Fargo-based R.D. Offutt Co., said his company has courted Target to let the retailer know about real estate available in the city’s Horizon Shores section.

“We as a matter of business practice contact all major retailers and share available properties with them,” Schaumann said. He said Target hasn’t responded to the solicitations.

Target could make a rezoning request for other Moorhead locations, but hasn’t contacted city officials about that possibility or building at existing locations, Martzahn said.

Mayor Mark Voxland said talk of a new Target in Moorhead has been bantered about for more than a year. Voxland said he’s not aware of any recent developments with the corporation closing in on a site for a potential new store.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Melinda Rogers at (701) 241-5524

SmileyBoy
Jun 2, 2007, 11:32 PM
For some reason, I keep having recurring dreams of a new SuperTarget opening in Moorhead.

Could I be psychic??:D

Justin_144
Jun 4, 2007, 2:52 AM
Interesting....I have found it strange that Sioux Falls doesnt have a super target yet....beats that super walmart that just went up near me.

SmileyBoy
Jun 4, 2007, 3:25 AM
Interesting....I have found it strange that Sioux Falls doesnt have a super target yet....beats that super walmart that just went up near me.

I find it strange that Sioux Falls, with over 140,000 people, only has ONE NORMAL Target. I would think you would at least have two normal-sized Targets, like one on the east side and one on 41st. Or at the very least, a SuperTarget on 41st. I'm surprised Target has not opened up more locations in the Dakotas.

F-Misthebest
Jun 4, 2007, 4:36 AM
As I was digging around the city of Fargo website I came across the city estimated population for the town. Now I know before I found the 97,610 figure that is posted in Smiley's sig line but I came across this figure now: 98,084. This is also what um wikipedia says is the city estimate and has a citation to the city website. Now I don't completley trust wikipedia but this has proof. So Smiley, update the sig line. :)

I think having a SuperTarget in Moorhead is a very good idea, however, I don't know what would come of the old Target store. It says in the article they don't know if they would keep the current store open or not if another store was built. If they did indeed choose to close it, I think that would reflect poorly on the Highway Ten area. Sure they're going to build that SuperWal-Mart there but I think the Target should still say. I think there should be one normal Target in Moorhead and one SuperTarget in Moorhead. Same goes for Fargo as well. On the Highway Ten area I would like to see more shopping and restaurant chains come in to brighten up that area a little more because the area isn't horrible but it could be nicer. I think Moorhead just needs to completley renovate the east side of downtown where the old grain elevators used to be. It's horrible! They thought that tearing down the elevators would bring in more business and guess what, that didn't happen. Moorhead really needs to get its act together and I think they're on their way, but still have a ways to go. But heck, the whole area is A LOT nicer than it was 10 years ago.

wilson
Jun 4, 2007, 4:25 PM
Hey guys, just got done reading about the last 40 pages or so, that's a lot of stuff happenin in FM.

Anyone have any information about this?
http://www.newmoorheadcollege.com/

I have some other thoughts and suggestions, but it will have to wait until I have some time...

wilson
Jun 4, 2007, 4:39 PM
double post

wilson
Jun 4, 2007, 4:52 PM
Ok, I lied, I have a few minutes, so here is a couple of things...

It's great that the airport is possibly gettin service for Cincy and/or ATL. Hopefully more service and competition means lower prices... it's still $500 cheaper to go to MSP, even with gas and hotel you still come out ahead...sad.

Another thing about the airport, it would be so beneficail IMO to have Phoenix as a non-stop flight. With all the snowbirds here, where is the one place they mostly go? Arizona. I bet all of you have a friend or relative that goes there for the winter. A few years back AmericaWest (Phoenix based) talk of coming to Fargo, but it got put on the back burner, as they were in the middle of merging with another airline. hopefully these talk resume again.

One last thing for now...
With The Crossroads, or possibly the new "high end" mall on 52nd, I would love to see The Cheesecake Factory come to town. Maybe if downtown gets its act together with the performing arts center, and other attractions, it would be a great development downtown too.

That all I got for now, hopefully more later.

F-Misthebest
Jun 4, 2007, 5:58 PM
Well welcome Wilson! Great to have another forumer!

In regards to the "new moorhead college" I'm pretty sure Aakers Buisiness College is wanting to build a second location in Moorhead. I read in the paper a while ago they were eyeing that land and were going to purchase it if I'm not mistaken.

I think a Cheesecake Factory in town would make a lovely edition. God knows that norwegians, North Dakotans, and Minnesotans like to eat good food (sometimes not even good food) and there is definetly a demographic in the area that would keep it open. Welcome aboard.

sodak
Jun 4, 2007, 10:20 PM
I find it strange that Sioux Falls, with over 140,000 people, only has ONE NORMAL Target. I would think you would at least have two normal-sized Targets, like one on the east side and one on 41st. Or at the very least, a SuperTarget on 41st. I'm surprised Target has not opened up more locations in the Dakotas.

It's a little annoying, since I live on the east side, but with the two new outdoor malls going up on the east side, it is a near certainly one of them will land a Target, if not a SuperTarget, at least according to my sources. My guess is Target is playing them off each other right now in land or lease negotiations. There is some speculation that the development to land the first big tenant will end up being the big winner. 2 million square feet of retail is an awful lot to add at one intersection.

My guess on a Cheesecake Factory for Fargo or Sioux Falls is probably a long way off. Omaha's opened less than a year ago and it's at least 4 times larger than either of our fair cities. I believe both Fargo and SF would support them, but I'm guess they are still looking at filling out thier potential in much larger metro areas.

Pappy2000
Jun 5, 2007, 11:32 PM
Stopped by and talked to a couple of the construction workers on this new building next to McDonalds. It looks like its going to be Verizon Wireless and possibly another store attached.

Also, they are also going to be building a Bar and Grill on the corner of 45th and 23rd Ave S in fron of Gander Mountain.

wilson
Jun 6, 2007, 1:50 AM
Looks like PleaseureLand is gonna be building in Moorhead on 1-94 right next to the KOA. There was a green sign in the field sayin so.

F-Misthebest
Jun 6, 2007, 4:26 AM
The restaurant near Gander Mountain is the Golden Corral or something like that and yeah PleasureLand is moving. I thought I posted that a while ago but maybe not. Oh well. :)

SmileyBoy
Jun 6, 2007, 3:20 PM
FINALLY, A DOWNTOWN PROJECT THAT'S NOT RINKY-DINK TINY!!!!

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/Broadway%20exterior1.jpg

This one is rinky-dink, but it's still nice!!

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/Lofts-front.jpg

Here's a map of all the projects:

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/0607%20downtown%20locator%20copy.jpg

Reviving the core
Published Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A $10.5 million investment by a local building and land renovation group will bring 100,000 square feet of new and revamped space to downtown Fargo.

Kilbourne Group, a Fargo-based collaboration of four companies, plans to renovate properties at 102 Broadway and 309 Roberts St.

The group is also constructing a four-story mixed-use retail and residential building at 300 Broadway, which is currently the Fargo Theatre parking lot. A 72-seat second screen addition to the Fargo Theatre is part of the project.

The combined projects will result in 32 new residential units, 20,000 square feet of retail space and 10,500 square feet of office space downtown, said Kilbourne Group Project Leader Mike Allmendinger.

“They are all properties that are underutilized and needed some money invested into them to change the use and update the buildings,” Allmendinger said Tuesday.

The projects will be outlined at a news conference today. Kilbourne Group members, Mayor Dennis Walaker and Fargo Theatre Executive Director Margie Bailly plan to attend.

Construction on 102 Broadway will start in a month and be ready for tenants in October, Allmendinger said. The Lofts on Roberts will undergo renovations in August and be finished in May 2008.

The 300 Broadway project and Fargo Theatre construction is expected to start in late fall and finish in the fall of 2008, Allmendinger said.

Doug Burgum, a financial backer for Kilbourne Group, said constructing a new facility at 300 Broadway will fill a space vacant since the 1920s.

The Smith, Follett & Crowl building at 309 Roberts St., formerly home to Knights Formal Wear, as well as the former Straus Clothing building at 102 Broadway, are both downtown holes long needing replacement, Burgum said.

Preserving Fargo’s historic Northern School Supply building and renovating the Hotel Donaldson started the city’s downtown revitalization, said Burgum, a senior vice president at Microsoft.

The Kilbourne Group wants to build on the momentum of those projects, Burgum said.

“Having a vibrant core is a good thing as opposed to everything spreading to the edge and the core being dead,” Burgum said.

“The revitalization of downtown is not just good for downtown. It’s good for the entire region.”

A second screen for the Fargo Theater has been part of the facility’s long range plan since the mid-1990s, Bailly said.

Burgum and Jeff Schlossman of the Fargo-based real estate firm Goldmark Schlossman made personal contributions to fund outfitting the second theater’s interior.

The Kilbourne Group is financing about $270,000 of the estimated $600,000 needed for the Fargo Theatre project, Allmendinger said.

Bailly is responsible for a $300,000 campaign to fund the remainder of the project. Burgum and Schlossman have donated half that amount, Bailly said, putting the project on its way to fruition.

Live events at the historic theater force movie screenings to take a hiatus. With a second screen, more movies can run simultaneously with live events, Bailly said.

The move provides more space for the Fargo Film festival and means more independent and art films can be shown year round, she said.

“There are more and more small independent art house films on the market right now. We can also use it for student films and use it to expand the film institute,” Bailly said.

“It’s something that we’ve been dreaming and thinking of for a really long time.”

Bailly said construction of the new screen could mean the Fargo Theater will close briefly since the project involves the existing theater’s mechanical system. She said construction details are still undetermined.

The Kilbourne Group’s projects build on downtown Fargo’s evolving redevelopment, said Dave Anderson, president of the Downtown Community Partnership – an association of property and business owners.

“The continued energy and improvement in downtown and particularly the construction of new facilities … indicates that downtown is more than a fix-up project,” said Anderson.

“Now we’re seeing new construction and the addition of new spaces that weren’t here before. I think that’s tremendously positive for downtown.”

Kilbourne Group, named after Burgum’s mother Katherine Kilbourne Burgum, started in 2001 to save the old Northern School Supply Building.

The building, at 650 NP Ave., was hours from demolition when Burgum stepped in and bought the site, which is now part of North Dakota State University’s downtown campus.

The group consists of Fargo companies Land Elements, Michael J. Olsen Communications, Spider and Co. and Longhorn Marketing.

Other partners working on the group’s latest downtown development projects include: Michael J. Burns Architects, Scott Nelson of DJR Architects, Meinecke-Johnson Co., Konrad Olson Commercial Real Estate and State Bank and Trust.

Property details

Kilbourne Group, a Fargo-based building and land renovation team, plans to invest $10.5 million in three downtown Fargo properties. The projects will bring 100,000 square feet of renovated and new space to downtown.

300 Broadway

Four-story mixed-use building with residential and retail space.

Features 21 underground parking spaces and 12 surface parking spaces.

First floor will feature five retail spaces of 1,000 to 2,000 square feet, an atrium with natural light that provides overflow seating for a coffee or sandwich shop, access to the Fargo Theatre and a reception area for Fargo Theatre events.

Upper two floors will house 10 one and two bed-room apartments ranging from 1,200 to 1,400 square feet, including balconies.

Top floor will hold five condos from 1,200 to 1,400 square feet. A private rooftop garden option is available.

102 Broadway

First floor retail space will house three to four tenants; each space between 2,000 to 4,000 square feet.

Second floor Class A office space can house 10,500-square foot office for one tenant or smaller offices for several tenants.

The Lofts on Roberts

Four-story mixed-use building with office and residential space at 309 Roberts St.

First floor space can house 3,200-square-foot space for office or retail.

Upper three floors have 12,222 square feet of residential space including room for 18 efficiency, one- and two-bedroom apartments ranging from 500 to 1,000 square feet each.

Concept of building is described as “warehouse, urban feel apartments with exposed brick walls, exposed wood joist ceilings, original wood posts and large windows.”

The building is designed to appeal to young professionals and college students attending North Dakota State University’s downtown campus.

NOTE: This is still not at the level that places like Sioux Falls and Duluth are developing their downtowns, We still need BIGGER projects. It's a good start, though.

Rizzo
Jun 6, 2007, 4:06 PM
^ Those look nice!

Only The Lonely..
Jun 7, 2007, 1:08 AM

Looks good..

wilson
Jun 7, 2007, 2:15 AM
I saw that today, good start.... hopefully things get rolling after this.

NanoBison
Jun 8, 2007, 3:40 AM
I really hope Burgum and the Kilbourne Group keep pumping money into downtown. They really seem to know in which direction that part of town should be going. Here's to a nice downtown project!

Doc
Jun 8, 2007, 2:31 PM
Is that the Dakota Theater in the picture?

LOL:jester:

NanoBison
Jun 9, 2007, 12:40 AM
Is that the Dakota Theater in the picture?

LOL:jester:

Damn North Dakota Department of Tourism trying to generalize the entire state. Morons.

:hell:

Doc
Jun 9, 2007, 4:07 PM
Change is in the air
Jon Knutson, The Forum
Published Friday, June 08, 2007
Northwest Airlines and United debuted new planes Thursday at Fargo’s Hector International Airport.

United brought in a CRJ700, which seats 66 – six in first class, 60 in economy.

Northwest introduced a CRJ900, which seats 76 – 12 in first class, 64 in coach.

Also new Thursday at Hector: launching of a second daily Delta flight between Fargo and Salt Lake City.

The new planes and the second Delta route continue a long run of success at Hector, where ridership has risen by 50 percent over the past decade.
Baggage handlers and other crew members work in the pouring rain to prepare the United CRJ700 plane for takeoff on Thursday at Hector International Airport in Fargo. Photo by Jay Pickthorn / The Forum
Baggage handlers and other crew members work in the pouring rain to prepare the United CRJ700 plane for takeoff on Thursday at Hector International Airport in Fargo.

“It’s been great. We’ve had wonderful support from the business community,” said Shawn Dobberstein, the airport’s executive director.

The CRJ700 and CRJ900 are made by Montreal-based Bombardier.

According to the company Web site, Bombardier launched its CRJ series – intended for regional flights – with the 50-seat CRJ100 in 1992. The CRJ700 was introduced in 2001, the CRJ900 in 2003.

More than 1,300 CRJ aircraft now operate worldwide, according to the Web site.

Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest Airlines is introducing 36 CRJ900 planes into its fleet, said spokesman Roman Blahoski.

The plane gives the company scheduling flexibility on flights that require more than 50 seats and fewer than 100.

The CRJ900 serving Dallas, Minneapolis and Fargo replaced a 124-seat A319 aircraft.

Dobberstein said airlines regularly change the size of airlines on routes.

Total available seating on Northwest flights in Fargo is staying steady, he said.

Chicago-based United Airlines’ CRJ700 replaces a 50-seat CRJ200 in Fargo, spokesman Jeff Kovick said.

The company decided the bigger plane was a better fit on the Fargo-Denver route, he said.

Thursday’s developments reflect growth at Hector over the past decade.

“It’s just been fun to watch what’s happened in Fargo,” said Gary Ness, state aeronautics commissioner.

Hector’s rising ridership has led to more flights, which in turn leads to still higher ridership and still more flights, he said.

Hector had 305,105 boardings in 2006. That’s up from 203,105 in 1997.

In 1997, Hector accounted for about 40 percent of the 506,891 hoardings at the state’s eight commercial service airports.

In 2006, Hector accounted for about 46 percent of the 662,437 boardings statewide.

Of the 155,546 boardings added statewide in the period, Hector accounted for 102,111, or about 66 percent.

Seven of the state’s commercial service airports gained passengers from 1997 to 2006.

The exception was the Grand Forks International Airport, where ridership fell from 93,431 in 1997 to 84,049 in 2006.

“We’re geographically challenged,” said Steve Johnson, director of the Grand Forks airport.

A study shows that the airport loses 39 percent of its customers to airports in Fargo and Minneapolis because of limited service in Grand Forks, Johnson said.

Northwest offered seven daily flights in Grand Forks before the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

The number dropped to five, and temporarily to four, before returning to five this week.

In contrast, Fargo is served by four airlines – Northwest, United, Allegiant and Delta – that combined offer 18 to 20 flights daily.

Johnson said the Grand Forks airport hasn’t been able to come up with a strategy to turn around its declining ridership.

Hector is optimistic about its future, Dobberstein said.

The airport’s passenger terminal expansion, scheduled to be completed in 2008 at a cost of $15.5 million, will include a fifth boarding gate, a third bag carousel and more gathering space outside the second-floor security checkpoint.

The airport’s immediate priority is supporting Delta Air Lines.

Delta began service between Fargo and Salt Lake City with a single daily flight on June 6, 2006.

Plans for the second daily flight that began Thursday were announced this spring.

Airport officials said at the time that Delta might add service between Fargo and Atlanta and Cincinnati – but only if enough people fly Delta between Fargo and Salt Lake City this summer.

“Gaining Atlanta and Cincinnati service would be very positive,” Dobberstein said Thursday.

Atlanta is a major hub for international flights. Cincinnati is an important connection to the East Coast.

Anthony Black, spokesman for Atlanta-based Delta Airlines, said it’s too early to tell what the airline might do.

“But if we feel there’s demand for more service and we can supply it, we’ll definitely take a look” at adding flights in Fargo,” he said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jonathan Knutson at (701) 241-5530

newflyer
Jun 10, 2007, 3:52 AM

Looks good..

Yeah .. something like that would look good in Winnipeg as well. ;)

Congrats on getting such a nice building!!

Ex-Ithacan
Jun 10, 2007, 7:10 PM

That's gonna be a nice addition, congrats.

Pappy2000
Jun 12, 2007, 6:47 PM
Smiley and Others,

I have been in contact with Carol Krabbenhoft from the City of Fargo Commission Office. I was looking for information on all current Building projects in Fargo and those that may be in the proposed phase. She forwarded my request to the Inspections Dept. Staff (I am still waiting for contact from them) and is very interested in the Skyscraperpage Forum. She will be visiting this site soon and who knows maybe this is the kind of thing that can find its way into the Fargo Forum and really spark alot of new interest in our Communities growth.

F-Misthebest
Jun 12, 2007, 10:37 PM
Great Plans! I'm so excited for something new to happen downtown besides a parking garage and an addition to a bar. That's Great!!!!! Also a new Thai Restaurant is opening on 1450 25th Street, I think.

wilson
Jun 13, 2007, 5:11 AM
Great Plans! I'm so excited for something new to happen downtown besides a parking garage and an addition to a bar. That's Great!!!!! Also a new Thai Restaurant is opening on 1450 25th Street, I think.

Isn't that where Thai Orchid already is, they must be just changing the name.

F-Misthebest
Jun 13, 2007, 12:42 PM
The Thai Orchid is on the outskirts of downtown in Moorhead. There's that sushi place there but I think they are filling the spot where Maggie Moo's Ice Cream used to be.

F-Misthebest
Jun 13, 2007, 12:45 PM
Residents fed up with dispute
Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Wednesday, June 13, 2007

South Fargo residents said Tuesday they’re fed up with the endless debate over a piece of land owned by Fred and Earlyne Hector, and they want city leaders to decide how much commercial area belongs in the parcel.

“We’d like to see an end to this,” Fox Run resident Frank Tweet said. “Make a decision one way or the other. Quit monkeying around.”

Tweet was among 50 people who attended an open house at Kennedy Elementary to review three options the Hectors have laid out for their 118-acre parcel northeast of Interstate 29 and 52nd Avenue South, as well as their land northwest of the interchange.

The Hectors want the city to change its growth plan to allow 45 to 50 acres of commercial use in the northeast quadrant. The current plan calls for 10 to 15 acres.

The Planning Commission is scheduled to hear the Hectors’ request today, but city Planning Director Jim Gilmour said he will recommend no action be taken. That’s because the Planning Commission already recommended 35 acres of commercial use on the site.

The City Commission is scheduled to hear that recommendation on Monday.

Several residents Tuesday said they’re frustrated the Hectors continue to propose changes to the growth plan, especially after the Planning Commission voted in April 2006 to reject their request for 50 commercial acres that would have allowed for a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

“We went through this whole thing last year,” said Vinod Lall, who lives in the Timberline subdivision.

But the Hectors’ attorney, Jonathan Garaas, noted that the 35-acre recommendation now on the table is a compromise of two proposals initiated by city planning staff – not the Hectors.

“We were never the proponent of that,” Garaas said.

Most residents at Tuesday’s meeting said they prefer city leaders not change the growth plan, or at least not allow more than 20 acres of commercial use. Several residents raised concerns about traffic and said they relied on the growth plan when choosing to live in the area.

But not all residents opposed more commercial use on the Hector land.

Gary Garrett, who lives in the Greenfields subdivision south of 52nd Avenue between South University Drive and 25th Street, told opponents it’s not their land to develop and called their objections “almost like a joke.”

“They don’t know what they’re saying no to,” Garrett said as he left the meeting.

Additional commercial development would add to the city’s tax base and help hold down taxes, Garrett said, adding south Fargo needs more retail services.

“I have a problem with driving six miles back and forth from my house to get a bottle of ketchup,” he said.

The Planning Commission’s public hearings begin at 9 a.m. today at City Hall.

wilson
Jun 13, 2007, 2:40 PM
The Thai Orchid is on the outskirts of downtown in Moorhead. There's that sushi place there but I think they are filling the spot where Maggie Moo's Ice Cream used to be.

My bad, wrong place... Yuki Hana is what I'm thinking.

F-Misthebest
Jun 14, 2007, 5:26 AM
Taste of Thai coming to Fargo
Kelly Smith, The Forum
Published Thursday, June 14, 2007

The sweet smell of plumeria and spring rolls will soon waft through the streets of Fargo.

The owners of a popular Moorhead Thai restaurant are spreading the cuisine to Fargo with the opening of LeeLa Thai Cuisine, named after the Thai word for plumeria, a tropical fragrant white flower.

LeeLa Thai Cuisine will open in early August at 1450 25th St. S., pending approval from the city of Fargo this week, owner David Scheer said. He and his son-in-law are currently preparing for the August opening of the renovated $75,000, 2,200-square-foot building that used to be a Donut Hole.

Scheer said the success of their Moorhead restaurant, Thai Orchid, helped inspire him and his family to open another restaurant.

“I can’t really go anywhere without hearing about the Orchid,” Scheer said. That restaurant opened in November 2005 with instant success. Scheer said they had to close the day after its opening due to the long line of customers.

“We were not prepared,” he said, adding that they’ll be more than ready for the opening of their second restaurant. “This one will be a lot easier.”

LeeLa Thai Cuisine will

also offer a slightly different style than the Moorhead restaurant.

“We’re trying some new recipes, new dishes,” Scheer said. “(We’ll) see if we can attract some new customers.”

Phil Sarnoff taught a class on Asian cooking at North Dakota State University and has traveled in Thailand. He said the food at Thai Orchid is authentic and expects Scheer’s second restaurant will be a hit in the area.

“I think people want something new,” Sarnoff said of the cuisine’s popularity.

Cole Carley, Executive Director for the Fargo-Moorhead Convention and Visitors Bureau, agreed that the popularity of ethnic restaurants like Scheer’s seem to be a recent trend. He’s noticed that more have sprouted up in the area in recent years, and it’s helping Fargo’s tourist appeal.

“I think it’s a combination of the public’s increasing taste for variety and the fact that we have so many nationalities here,” Carley said. “The more variety … the better the perception of the destination.”

Dishing out variety is something Scheer is planning to continue. He hopes to eventually build an open-air Thai restaurant in the area as well.

“What we really want to do is to show Fargo-Moorhead what a real Thai restaurant looks like,” he said.

For now, LeeLa Thai Cuisine will help Scheer better sense the area’s appetite for Thai cuisine and give diners more options for sampling the unique cuisine.

“Thai food is new to the city,” he said. “It will give us a way to see what Fargo-Moorhead would like more of.”

If you go

- What: LeeLa Thai Cuisine

- When: scheduled to open in early August

- Where: 1450 25th St. S.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Kelly Smith at (701) 235-7311

SmileyBoy
Jun 20, 2007, 3:51 AM
Looks like it's been really slow on this thread the last couple of weeks, ever since the big downtown announcements, things have sort of petered out. Well, I've got some more goodies to lay on you all:

It has come to my attention that apparently Dilworth is no longer content with being known as "that little town east of Moorhead", so they have decided to do something about it. Make that someTHINGS. The new Super Wal-Mart notwithstanding, I introduce you to these HUGE development projects for Dilworth:

Take a look at what's planned for the new Wal-Mart SuperCenter area:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/Dilworth1.jpg

This is way beyond the kind of proposed developments I'm seeing even in Fargo and West Fargo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/Dilworth2.jpg

Looks like the empty space flanking the south side of 10 will see new retail as well:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/Dilworth4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/Dilworth3.jpg

I think this is Dilworth's proposal for a "new" downtown. This project, and the one on 34th are like mini versions of Arbor Lakes. It's just AMAZING the kind of vision Dilworth is putting forth on this front.There's no other way I can say it: This is UNPRECEDENTED. Nothing like I've seen in the 4 years I've lived here. And it's in Dilworth!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/Dilworth5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/Dilworth6.jpg

And here's a new pic I found of the neat little project on Broadway and 1st:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/BroadwayBuilding.jpg

But all in all folks, I think Dilworth has officially thrown their hat into the ring.:tup: :tup: :tup:

I think Dilworth could very soon be Moorhead's West Fargo.

F-Misthebest
Jun 20, 2007, 4:25 AM
Wow that is an amazing project that's planned for the area and in Dilworth. I can't get over the fact that it is in Dilworth. This mall thingy reminds me of what they want to do with The Shoppes at Fargo or The District at Fargo or whatever. I would hope high-end stores would come in and create up-scale neighborhoods around the area creating a huge population boom for Dilworth and Moorhead. Hope everything goes on with that plan.

The building in downtown Fargo looks great. I was walking downtown this evening and quite a lot of foot traffic going along. I was quite suprised. Broadway and a lot of downtown however has some gaps to fill and some businesess or companies just need to get in there and fill the gap.

Now news from the crazy Hectors:

Hector land gets partial approval
Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Fargo city commissioners made a long-awaited decision Monday to allow 25 acres of commercial use on land northeast of Interstate 29 and 52nd Avenue South. But it doesn’t settle the issue, attorneys for landowners Fred and Earlyne Hector said.

Commissioners voted 4-1 to approve an amendment to the city’s long-range growth plan that also allows for 10 acres of commercial use on the Fargo School District’s land adjacent to the Hector land.

“I’m very proud that the commissioners made a decision and are doing the best they can to try to be fair to all parties involved,” said Roger Hoffman, who lives in the Meadow Creek subdivision just east of the district’s land.

The Fargo Planning Commission had recommended 35 acres of commercial use in the Hectors’ 118-acre parcel, with the conditions that design standards be imposed and the noncommercial land next to Meadow Creek be used for low-density housing.

The panel considered the 35 acres a compromise between two options for the Hector land presented by planning staff – one containing 20 to 25 acres of commercial use, the other 40 to 50 acres.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2347/hectorplanningzh1.jpg

Meanwhile, the Hectors are still pursuing a growth plan amendment and zoning change to allow 45 to 50 acres of commercial use.

The Planning Commission rejected that proposal Wednesday.

The City Commission is scheduled to hear it July 16, along with the Hectors’ earlier request to have the parcel de-annexed.

“The City Commission will get an opportunity to correct it,” the Hectors’ attorney, Jonathan Garaas, said of Monday’s decision.

Commissioner Linda Coates said Monday’s decision determines the future location of the 36th Street frontage road – a decision that had to be made by mid-July so the I-29 interchange reconstruction project wouldn’t be delayed.

Any additional commercial land sought by the Hectors will have to be north of the road, she said.

Several neighbors living around the Hectors’ property again spoke out Monday against any commercial area larger than 20 acres.

Meadow Creek resident Gary Kubalak asked commissioners to weigh “the financial interests of a single landowner” against “the interests of hundreds of families whose single largest investment, their homes, and whose most important assets, their families, are at stake.”

Timberline resident Tom Haldis, accompanied by his wife and two sons in their baseball uniforms, raised safety concerns about the increased traffic a big-box retailer could bring.

Fargo Senior Planner Jim Hinderaker said big-box retailers like to have about 35 acres to surround their stores with smaller retail businesses. But, he added, “They may be able to get a store on 20 acres.”

Assistant Superintendent Dan Huffman said the Fargo School District needs more commercial development, and he criticized how the growth plan has become a “gospel of a zoning document.”

“It’s become so hard and fast that it’s impossible to change. That’s why this thing has been on the agenda for 2½ years,” he said.

But Coates said the district is partly responsible for creating the controversy by abandoning its land along 52nd Avenue South as the site for a third high school.

City Commissioner Brad Wimmer voted against the 25-acre plan, saying he thought the 35-acre plan was “a good compromise.”

In other business, the commission:

- Approved a memorandum of understanding for the city and Cass Rural Water Users District to deliver treated wastewater to the Tharaldson Ethanol Plant under construction near Casselton.

An economic analysis provided by Fargo Enterprise Director Bruce Grubb shows the city will net about $777,000 per year from the agreement.

- Approved a study of Grand Forks Mayor Michael Brown’s request to dispose of roughly 200 tons of garbage per year at the Fargo Landfill for three years or longer while Grand Forks tries to secure a new landfill site. The city’s current landfill is set to close Oct. 1, 2008.

- Voted 5-0 to hire architects to develop a cost estimate and preliminary design for a proposed Fargodome addition.

The city will pay T.L. Stroh Architects & Interiors of Fargo and its national partner, ThreeSixty Architecture of Kansas City, Mo., up to $50,000 for their professional services and up to $10,000 for reimbursable expenses.

- Voted to designate Third Street North as “Hamar Drive” in honor of Hamar, Norway, Fargo’s sister city since 1974. Hamar Mayor Einar Busterud and City Manager Svein Skaaraas are scheduled to visit Fargo this week.

The street will still officially be known as Third Street North. A ceremony is scheduled at 11:45 a.m. Friday to unveil the new sign.

Strayone
Jun 21, 2007, 4:07 AM
Taste of Thai coming to Fargo
Kelly Smith, The Forum
Published Thursday, June 14, 2007

The sweet smell of plumeria and spring rolls will soon waft through the streets of Fargo.

The owners of a popular Moorhead Thai restaurant are spreading the cuisine to Fargo with the opening of LeeLa Thai Cuisine, named after the Thai word for plumeria, a tropical fragrant white flower.

LeeLa Thai Cuisine will open in early August at 1450 25th St. S., pending approval from the city of Fargo this week, owner David Scheer said. He and his son-in-law are currently preparing for the August opening of the renovated $75,000, 2,200-square-foot building that useda to be a Donut Hole.

Scheer said the success of their Moorhead restaurant, Thai Orchid, helped inspire him and his family to open another restaurant.

“I can’t really go anywhere without hearing about the Orchid,” Scheer said. That restaurant opened in November 2005 with instant success. Scheer said they had to close the day after its opening due to the long line of customers.

“We were not prepared,” he said, adding that they’ll be more than ready for the opening of their second restaurant. “This one will be a lot easier.”

LeeLa Thai Cuisine will

also offer a slightly different style than the Moorhead restaurant.

“We’re trying some new recipes, new dishes,” Scheer said. “(We’ll) see if we can attract some new customers.”

Phil Sarnoff taught a class on Asian cooking at North Dakota State University and has traveled in Thailand. He said the food at Thai Orchid is authentic and expects Scheer’s second restaurant will be a hit in the area.

“I think people want something new,” Sarnoff said of the cuisine’s popularity.

Cole Carley, Executive Director for the Fargo-Moorhead Convention and Visitors Bureau, agreed that the popularity of ethnic restaurants like Scheer’s seem to be a recent trend. He’s noticed that more have sprouted up in the area in recent years, and it’s helping Fargo’s tourist appeal.

“I think it’s a combination of the public’s increasing taste for variety and the fact that we have so many nationalities here,” Carley said. “The more variety … the better the perception of the destination.”

Dishing out variety is something Scheer is planning to continue. He hopes to eventually build an open-air Thai restaurant in the area as well.

“What we really want to do is to show Fargo-Moorhead what a real Thai restaurant looks like,” he said.

For now, LeeLa Thai Cuisine will help Scheer better sense the area’s appetite for Thai cuisine and give diners more options for sampling the unique cuisine.

“Thai food is new to the city,” he said. “It will give us a way to see what Fargo-Moorhead would like more of.”

If you go

- What: LeeLa Thai Cuisine

- When: scheduled to open in early August

- Where: 1450 25th St. S.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Kelly Smith at (701) 235-7311

Make sure the first thing you order at this new Thai restaurant is "Tom Kha" also "Gai" which means chicken is part of the name. It is a soup that has the most intriguing and undefinable flavour I have ever tasted, allmost indescribably good. The best Thai restuarant here in Austin (Satay) only has it now and then during the week, but it is the main soup on the wknd's. Satay means grilled or skewered (it may be Indonesian in origin) and the meat comes on skewers with a very nice peanut sauce, again indescribable! Enjoy

NanoBison
Jun 24, 2007, 2:08 AM
Just drove by the land directly east of Texas Roadhouse, as I reported earlier it will be another gas station, unfortunately, it's going to be a Sam's Club gas station. More Walmart..... blah...

SmileyBoy
Jun 24, 2007, 3:53 AM
Just drove by the land directly east of Texas Roadhouse, as I reported earlier it will be another gas station, unfortunately, it's going to be a Sam's Club gas station. More Walmart..... blah...

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!! I thought it was gonna be another unique restaurant chain.:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

NanoBison
Jun 24, 2007, 6:42 PM
On that note, on the other side where the UNO's Chicago Grill was, there were trucks with "SpitFire Bar & Grill" on them, so I would assume that new eatery is getting close to finished.

SmileyBoy
Jun 24, 2007, 6:57 PM
On that note, on the other side where the UNO's Chicago Grill was, there were trucks with "SpitFire Bar & Grill" on them, so I would assume that new eatery is getting close to finished.

Yeah, I heard sometime early next month, but don't trust me on that.

Also, Men's Wearhouse is opening up a store at that Western Center place on 13th next to Target.

SmileyBoy
Jun 24, 2007, 9:53 PM
Hey nano, one more thing. I think it was you who took this pano, right??

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2144/fargopanoramalargestjf7.jpg

Well, it seems that KXJB/KVLY is using that pic as a digital backdrop for their weather forecasts. I saw that pic on the 10:00 news last night behind some weather lady.

I don't know if it would be a big deal for you, because some other SSP Winnipeg forumers I know of have had some of their pics used by companies and media without permission, but I don't know if it's a big deal.

NanoBison
Jun 24, 2007, 10:33 PM

Correction, I just drove by it this afternoon again and it says the eatery will open tomorrow!

NanoBison
Jun 24, 2007, 10:52 PM
Hey nano, one more thing. I think it was you who took this pano, right??

*** Image of Downtown Fargo ***

Well, it seems that KXJB/KVLY is using that pic as a digital backdrop for their weather forecasts. I saw that pic on the 10:00 news last night behind some weather lady.

I don't know if it would be a big deal for you, because some other SSP Winnipeg forumers I know of have had some of their pics used by companies and media without permission, but I don't know if it's a big deal.

In the words of Ace Ventura : "Reahea hea eha hea eha hea heallllyy...."

I don't have a problem with it. Plus I checked that video you were talking about. It's not the exact same picture. If you look at the cars parked in the lot in front of the bank, it's a much lower number, than in my picture. I think they sent someone up to the top of the Island Park Parking Ramp, with a much more expensive camera. But I still think mine was the better picture, esp. in the lighting department. Just needed some more work on pasting the separate images together. Well, at least my work inspired someone to do so. But, I don't have too much of a problem with it, unless it was used to make money,... then I'd want a share....

:tup: :cool:

F-Misthebest
Jun 25, 2007, 1:51 AM
Yeah, I heard sometime early next month, but don't trust me on that.

Also, Men's Wearhouse is opening up a store at that Western Center place on 13th next to Target.

Hey that's great that they're moving in. That strip mall needs to fill and with a business like Men's Wharehouse, I'm sure other companies or businessess would like to come in.

Hey Nano, that's funny about the weather backdrop. I think you should make a big deal about it just for the fun of it. Be like those people who get offended about "Chrismas on the Prairie":whip: Just for the fun of it. :cool:

SmileyBoy
Jun 25, 2007, 10:30 PM
Hey that's great that they're moving in. That strip mall needs to fill and with a business like Men's Wharehouse, I'm sure other companies or businessess would like to come in.

Hey Nano, that's funny about the weather backdrop. I think you should make a big deal about it just for the fun of it. Be like those people who get offended about "Chrismas on the Prairie":whip: Just for the fun of it. :cool:

There's a LOT of strip malls in this city that need business to move in. Seems like in the past 18 months or so, there's been a lot of new strip malls built that currently a high level of vacancies. Have the developers overestimated the market, perhaps??:shrug:

NanoBison
Jun 26, 2007, 3:39 AM
Special note : Wait a while on Spitfire Bar & Grill. I failed to read the entire sign that "the Bar and Patio open Monday". That's All. The bar and patio. The rest of the place is completely empty. No tables, no chairs, no kitchen equipment. Hopefully they get the whole thing up and running soon. I was a little more than pissed off that nothing was finished... ended up going to Doolittle's (one of my other favorites).

On the strip mall issue. Yes, we have way too many of them. I'd like to see things congregate into larger developments like the Las Vegas one or Urban Plains.

Doc
Jun 27, 2007, 1:32 PM
Saw some activity at the building across from the Fargo Theatre last night. Some of the boards are off the windows and it looks like some planning work is happening.

Also, the lofts on Roberts street just had the second story window blinds removed (with acrylic windows "installed"). Looks like work will start there soon.

sodak
Jun 28, 2007, 5:23 PM
Question for you guys; how in the hell can the Censu Bureau say that Fargo has lost people since 2000? I've been up there (as recently as last fall) and there is no way that this even comes close to making sense.

Aren't you guys closer to 98,000 or so?

SmileyBoy
Jun 28, 2007, 8:38 PM
Question for you guys; how in the hell can the Censu Bureau say that Fargo has lost people since 2000? I've been up there (as recently as last fall) and there is no way that this even comes close to making sense.

Aren't you guys closer to 98,000 or so?

The Census Bureau needs to put down the bong. There is NO FUCKING WAY Fargo LOST 543 people in the past 7 years. They have West Fargo and Horace pretty accurate, though. West Fargo is at 21,508 an Horace is at 1,464. Moorhead is being undercounted as well, (34,749 compared to the more accurate 38,000+) but not as blatantly as Fargo. Dilworth seems to be pretty accurate (3,521). But the Fargo thing really baffles me. There has never been a decade in the city's history when the annual estimates have given us these kind of shrinking numbers. Hopefully the city will challenge this fraudulent estimate.

BigTicket
Jun 28, 2007, 11:28 PM
The Census Bureau needs to put down the bong. There is NO FUCKING WAY Fargo LOST 543 people in the past 7 years. They have West Fargo and Horace pretty accurate, though. West Fargo is at 21,508 an Horace is at 1,464. Moorhead is being undercounted as well, (34,749 compared to the more accurate 38,000+) but not as blatantly as Fargo. Dilworth seems to be pretty accurate (3,521). But the Fargo thing really baffles me. There has never been a decade in the city's history when the annual estimates have given us these kind of shrinking numbers. Hopefully the city will challenge this fraudulent estimate.

I think the city has given up with Census Bureau, they are just completely clueless when it comes to F-M. Maybe they just can't count all the college kids that stick around after finishing school, I don't know. But for some reason they just can't get it right.

SmileyBoy
Jun 29, 2007, 2:52 AM
I think the city has given up with Census Bureau, they are just completely clueless when it comes to F-M. Maybe they just can't count all the college kids that stick around after finishing school, I don't know. But for some reason they just can't get it right.

I think we'll see a more accurate number in the 2010 Census. As for annual estimates, I've given up on them too.

F-Misthebest
Jun 29, 2007, 5:29 AM
Funny you mention it:

West Fargo state’s fastest-growing city
Kristen Daum, The Forum
Published Friday, June 29, 2007

West Fargo is North Dakota’s fastest growing city, according to U.S. Census data released Thursday.

The “city on the grow” had the largest population increase, in terms of numbers, between 2005 to 2006 of all North Dakota cities, census data shows.

West Fargo added 2,000 people to its population in 2006 – a 9.2 percent increase from 2005 – bringing the population to 21,508 people.

West Fargo Planning Director Larry Weil said the city feels “fortunate” to have such a fast-growing population.

“We feel very comfortable about the continued growth in the community, and we’re trying to stay ahead of it,” Weil said, adding that factors such as a quality school district and a Sheyenne River flood diversion project helped contribute to West Fargo’s growth.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/4791/stupidcensuspv3.jpg

Just to the east, neighboring Fargo lost the largest number of people since 2005 of any city in North Dakota – down 413 residents – which decreased the city’s population by 0.5 percent.

The Census Bureau estimated Fargo’s 2006 population as 90,056.

Fargo Planning Director Jim Gilmour said from his initial look at the numbers, they might not be an accurate portrayal of the city’s growth.

“We still see more houses in Fargo because of construction,” Gilmour said. “The Census numbers haven’t been as accurate for Fargo in the past because we have a very mobile population with people moving in and out.”

Gilmour added that depending on what factors are used to look at the population, the factors might depict growth differently.

The U.S. Census population estimates use data collected through July 1, 2006, and are based on information from birth, death and migration records, and the number of housing units in a location.

Across the Red River, Moorhead’s population grew by 2 percent to 34,749 people since 2005.

Cities surrounding Minneapolis and St. Paul showed the most growth in Minnesota, while the Twin Cities themselves lost population, according to the data.

Nationwide, the U.S. population increased by nearly 1 percent, with 2.9 million more Americans in 2006.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Kristen Daum at (701) 235-7311.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well you heard it first folks. Grand Forks is growing and Fargo is not. These people must be smokin' something. :koko: :slob:

wilson
Jun 29, 2007, 5:35 PM
hmmm, wow... I guess all these houses and apartments that keep popping up everywhere are just for show, huh. :shrug:

Reichert
Jun 29, 2007, 6:37 PM
This is a hot topic over on the Fargo Forum's discussion pages, too.

The funny thing about this is if you look in the Census Bureau's estimates for the Fargo-Wahpeton CSA it's VERY close to what most of the peeps on this board say it is (the Bureau has it just a hair under 210,000). So the issue is not the estimates of the region as a whole, just the City of Fargo itself.

NanoBison
Jun 30, 2007, 6:12 AM
If you ask me, I personally believe that Fargo has hit or will hit the 100,000 mark by the next census. Let's just hope enough folks actually take the time to participate in the census and let the true figures come out. If it is determined that the Census Bureau way underestimated Fargo, they need to go back and change their models.

Doc
Jul 1, 2007, 10:20 PM
I thought that the projects on 12th Street (across from the University) would have broken ground by now. Anyone know why there hasn't been activity there?:shrug:

F-Misthebest
Jul 2, 2007, 4:08 AM
What projects?

Doc
Jul 2, 2007, 3:47 PM
Land near NDSU in demand
Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Friday, April 06, 2007

Future upgrades to 12th Avenue North and a bustling North Dakota State University campus have property owners and developers taking a harder look at the best use for land along the corridor.

Three people have asked the city for tax increment financing (TIF) assistance to help them redevelop property along 12th Avenue North, just south and west of NDSU.

The latest request comes from Jerry Feder, who wants to raze four of his rental properties along 17th Street and replace them with a three-story brick building with first-floor retail and 14 apartments on the upper floors.

Feder estimates the properties’ improvements, now with an assessed value of $289,100, will reach a post-project value of more than $2.5 million.

University Motors owner Dell Arneson plans to redevelop his property at 1920 and 2002 12th Ave. N. when the business relocates to south Fargo this summer. Two existing buildings will be replaced with up to 78 units of student housing, according to a letter to the City Commission from Mike Vipond, CEO of Dell Arneson Inc.

The property, currently assessed at $258,800, will have a new value estimated at $3.7 million to $6.1 million, depending on the density and amenities, Vipond wrote.

Vipond and Arneson were unavailable for comment.

Feder said his decision to do something different with his four rental properties – ages 75 to 97 – was prompted by the North Dakota Department of Transportation’s scheduled reconstruction of 12th Avenue North from Interstate 29 to 10th Street in 2008.

“That got me thinking about the best use of my corner over the long run,” he said.

Roger Gilbertson, president of FM City Development LLC, also plans to demolish rental houses at 1414 and 1420 12th Ave. N. to make room for a three-story brick building with 9,100 square feet of main-floor retail space and 14 three-bedroom apartments on the upper floors. The west half of the block also will be redeveloped in the future, he said.

Doc
Jul 2, 2007, 3:50 PM
FMisthebest,

You mentioned in an earlier post that your dad was looking to possibly buy an apartment across from the Alerus bank or in the recently renovated building.

Did he get one of those cool apartments?:tup:

SmileyBoy
Jul 3, 2007, 3:34 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/0703-mallard.jpg

Office building will add jobs
J. Shane Mercer, The Forum
Published Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A Moorhead developer plans to build a $1.9 million, 16,000-square-foot project in south Moorhead that he expects will provide at least 20 new jobs.

The project on Belsley Boulevard near Eight Street South will consist of two buildings that function as a professional office park, Paragon Development Chief Executive Officer Andy Skatvold said.

Three businesses have signed leases for space in the building, Skatvold said, including a day-care center and facilities for professional health services. About 5,000 square feet of space is still available.

Skatvold declined to say what businesses were coming to the facility, but said it will house new and expanding companies.

He looks for more than half of the jobs that will be housed in the facilities to start in the $10 to $15 per hour range.

“They’re full-time jobs in a professional setting,” Skatvold said.

While Skatvold serves as CEO of Paragon, the project will be constructed under the flag of Mallard Creek Development. Skatvold created Mallard Creek to oversee the project.

His company hopes to have the project completed by the end of the year, though Skatvold said it could spill over into the first part of 2008. Mallard Creek plans to break ground next week, he said.

“We’ve been working on (this project) for almost three years now,” Skatvold said. “We’re happy to see the plans we’ve been working on finally come to life down there.”

The Moorhead City Council approved extending a tax incentive package for the project Monday night. The council had already approved an incentive package for a Mallard Creek project on the site in June 2005. But because of delays in construction, Mallard Creek sought an extension of the incentive package.

The incentive package exempts the project’s owners from property taxes on the planned $1.9 million of construction through 2012. Property taxes on the construction will be paid at a reduced rate from 2013 to 2015. Taxes on the land itself will continue to be paid at the standard rate.

“From the city’s point of the view, the city wants the jobs and the city wants the tax base,” said Peter Doll, Manager of Development Services. “That’s why we do this.”

“Over the long run this is in the city’s interest,” said Moorhead Assistant City Manager Michael Redlinger. “We’re excited about the continued interest in business growth in Moorhead.”

Doc
Jul 9, 2007, 11:33 PM
Within a day, the two houses along 12th have been torn down. Once they get started, they don't mess around.

Doc
Jul 10, 2007, 6:06 PM
:cool:

Doc
Jul 10, 2007, 6:08 PM
Broadway’s ‘it’ block
Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Fargo needs to find the right mix of downtown apartments and condos to make sure the city’s core remains stable in the future, the chairman of the Renaissance Zone Authority said Monday.

Roger Gilbertson raised the issue as the panel approved tax exemptions for three projects that combine housing and retail space and promise to pump new life into the 300 block of Broadway.

Fargo developer Ace Brandt and architect Terry Stroh will convert the Dixon and Moose buildings at 305 and 309 Broadway into four condos with retail on the first floors. The Moose sits next to the recently renovated Fargoan Hotel, also a Stroh project.

Across the street at 300 Broadway, Kilbourne Group will construct a four-story building with five condos on the top floor and 10 total apartments on the second and third floors. The project also includes an atrium and the addition of a 72-seat second screen for the Fargo Theatre next door.

With the projects adding to downtown’s hare-paced housing growth, Gilbertson asked Fargo Senior Planner Bob Stein if a housing model exists that the city can follow to increase the core’s stability.
Fargo developer Ace Brandt and architect Terry Stroh will convert the Dixon and Moose buildings into four condos with retail on the first floors.
Fargo developer Ace Brandt and architect Terry Stroh will convert the Dixon and Moose buildings into four condos with retail on the first floors.

“I think it’s relevant because so many times there’s a flare of development for a decade or two and then it dwindles,” said Gilbertson, president and CEO of MeritCare Health Systems.

Stein said he’s not aware of any such model, but added that downtown now has a “nice price mix” of rental and owner-occupied units.

Since Fargo’s Renaissance Zone was created in 2000, developers have rehabilitated 186 apartments and added 61 new apartments and 93 condos in the 35-block zone.

City Commissioner and authority member Brad Wimmer said developers are banking on additional housing demand as North Dakota State University expands its downtown presence and baby boomers return to the area.

He pointed to the 31 apartment units recently renovated at the Bristol Place Lofts and Offices at 510 4th Ave. N., as well as Kilbourne’s planned addition of 18 apartments in the Smith, Follett & Crowl building at 309 Roberts St.

“So, I think it seems like we’re getting a good mix,” Wimmer said.

Kilbourne Group Project Leader Mike Allmendinger said the apartments at 300 Broadway will rent for about $1,300 to $1,700 per month, and the condos will cost about $240,000 to $300,000. The third floor could be converted to condos depending on market conditions, he said.

Prices for the two condos in both the Moose and Dixon buildings will range from about $85 to $100 per square foot, Stroh said. Each condo in the Moose will take up an entire floor. The 2,800-square-foot third-floor condo also will feature an 800-square-foot patio overlooking downtown.

The condos will be finished with sheet rock, but the buyers will decide the finishes and layout, Stroh said.

All three projects approved Monday will offer underground parking.
http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/309-Broadway.jpg
Based on the developers’ estimates of the value of the buildings when completed, the five-year Renaissance Zone property tax exemptions will be worth roughly $135,000 for the Dixon, $129,000 for the Moose and $500,000 for 300 Broadway. The developers and those who buy or lease space in the buildings also are eligible for five-year state income tax exemptions.
http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/305-Broadway.jpg
The City Commission still must approve the exemptions.

Allmendinger said construction will begin late this fall on 300 Broadway and take about a year. Stroh said he hopes to have the Moose and Dixon condos ready for buyers by early next year. :banana: