^^^ No one said it's "unpleasant", they said it's more pleasant to swim in fresh water when the temperature is comparable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ lake winnebago is super shallow, especially considering its size (215 sq. miles).
it has an average depth of only 15.5' and a maximum depth of only 21'.
that's one ridiculously flat and shallow lake bottom for something that covers over 200 sq. miles.
lake st. clair is also really, really shallow for its size (430 sq. miles). average depth: 11'. max depth: 27'.
|
Winnebago would actually turn into a giant wild rice paddy if it weren't for human activity. The lake level is about 2' higher than it is naturally because of the locks in Appleton and the boat traffic kills the wild rice with wave action and props. They've been doing a tremendous job bringing the rice back to Poygan, Butte Des Morts, and Winnebago with restoration projects, but it will never be like it was when it was basically a giant wheatfield for the indigenous population to harvest each fall. I just hope they get the rice restored to the point where I can go out in a canoe and legally harvest a load of delicious rice (another thing you can't do in the ocean, lol).
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45
"What's most important at the beach is that it has to be freshwater rather than saltwater, the rest is secondary" definitely sounds like a homer Midwesterner trying to convince himself...
I would say generally speaking, the water has to be clean and warm, no seaweed ideally, the weather has to be sunny and warm, and also the beach should be sandy (it's a well known drawback of the Eastern French Riviera beaches (Nice and points east), they're pebble beaches. In the Antibes area they're sandy.)
Saltwater makes it easier to float, which is a positive IMO. I recall swimming in Lake Huron at an Ontario beach and if I ever got anything in my mouth I would spit the water rather than swallow it anyway, "fresh" or not.
Waves are a bonus; I'm guessing most people like them (especially kids), but old people sometimes prefer it when it's calm.
I really really really don't think the main criterion on most people lists is "freshwater or saltwater?" when shopping for a beachside place to vacation at. Sorry, Michigan Homer (you know who you are).
|
Can you waterski in the ocean? Not pleasantly. Can you tube? Maybe based on the weather conditions. I've sailed the length of the keys on a sailboat multiple times, I've been to the Florida panhandle multiple times, Miami multiple times, I've been to South Carolina Kiawah Island, I've been to Santa Monica, I've been to Coney Island. At no point in time was the ocean experience superior to what I've experienced in the Midwest...
That said I've also never had as enjoyable of a beach going experience in January, February, December, or March in the Midwest as I've had in these areas. I mean come on, maybe if you have a billion dollars and a huge yacht, the ocean is pretty cool, but if you actually want to enjoy the full offerings of the water, you can't even do that in most places on the ocean and it's certainly not going to be very fun if you like waterskiing. Meanwhile my river is glass every morning when I wake up which is, to bring this thread back to the topic at hand, the water skiing equivalent of three feet of champagne powder downhill skiing...