HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1641  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 4:10 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Even if the hotel is just 30 stories, it will still be a great addition to the skyline. Photo update of the Encore Apartments, the stairwells are built so we have a visual reference of the project's height.
     
     
  #1642  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 4:18 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
I am also pretty disappointed at the exterior material choices for Seasons at Library Square. I am just tired of developers often choosing different shades of brown. The color palette is too neutral especially for such a high profile location. I like the general design of the building, placement along the street frontage and certainly the location. I suppose that is why I was so disappointed at the finishing touches that I have seen thus far. The brick along the base will help but I'm not sure it will be enough to win me over.

On a different topic, I think Vasilios is right. ( I can't believe I'm actually saying that. The guy is the worst.) We will continue to see residential development downtown. Several developers have been in the office discussing high rise residential development though the only one that has actually purchased property and appears to be moving forward is Ivory Homes at 200 East and 300 South.

And on yet a different topic, I really like the Beehive Building and the changes that are proposed. The RDA at their board meeting on Tuesday afternoon discussed the terms of several RFP's for the Depot District. There are some great maps and general details about the expectation of future development in there if somebody wanted to post them. You can find them in the agendas at www.slcrda.com . I think that this area will see a huge transformation in the next few years. If developed as proposed I think it will create a really unique neighborhood.
Great points. I think we will see some cool projects coming up the next few years. More and more people are wanting to live in urban centers and Salt Lake is moving towards meeting the growing demand for diverse, walkable and unique neighborhoods. I am excited to see the evolution of the Depot and Granary districts.
     
     
  #1643  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:34 AM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
http://www.buzzfeed.com/timmurphywriter/tiny-homes#.hv3yaLZQP
The link is above. I wish this would happen in Salt Lake...great read.
     
     
  #1644  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 6:33 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
http://www.buzzfeed.com/timmurphywriter/tiny-homes#.hv3yaLZQP
The link is above. I wish this would happen in Salt Lake...great read.
There are plans in the works for a homeless village in SLC made up of tiny homes.
     
     
  #1645  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 8:16 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I don't mind the hotel but it doesn't blow me away. This side doesn't thrill me as much:



But it could be a lot worse. Still, I'd love something with more glass ... like this:

Very much agree on all points.
     
     
  #1646  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 8:47 AM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The new sign for the ex-Shilo - New Holiday Inn Express should be going up today. The sign is on site and they have taken down the last of the rusted sign post on the corner of 2nd South and West Temple.

I am not yet sure how I feel about the colors. I walk by the building every day. I do know that I like it more than the ex-Shilo coloring. The new colors, even if some may feel blah about it, it does feel more urban, at least to me.
I think it looks kind of cool at night.
     
     
  #1647  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 10:16 AM
gusam26's Avatar
gusam26 gusam26 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Salt Lake City/Los Angeles
Posts: 223
Right across from the Smith's market place on 500 east there's a site fenced up with a Kier construction sign, that's the same company that build North six apartments. Anyone know whats planned on that site?
     
     
  #1648  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:53 PM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
I heard that Bed Bath and Beyond, Designer Shoe Warehouse, and Nordstrom Rack may be opening locations at the Gateway. I think all three of those would be good for Gateway, as each of them would bring more people to the mall.
     
     
  #1649  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:58 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
I think those would be great for additional people to the gateway.

I do think that with the additional residential being built in the area that the owners of the Gateway really should be pushing for a neighborhood market or even a scaled down supermarket.

The increase in residential is going to further increase the need for local groceries.
     
     
  #1650  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 6:08 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Gusam26, be prepared to be underwhelmed. They are building a drug/alcohol rehab facility on that site.

Also, I have been walking by the buildings on the northwest corner of State and 400 South and the former BC Chicken space is under construction. Looks like a restaurant is finally taking the long empty space.
     
     
  #1651  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 10:47 PM
AllOutOfBubbleGum's Avatar
AllOutOfBubbleGum AllOutOfBubbleGum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 303
The Hyatt Hotel, at night.









     
     
  #1652  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 3:57 AM
Highrise_Mike's Avatar
Highrise_Mike Highrise_Mike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoJo, UT
Posts: 232
Thanks for the pics! I like how they used a lot of windows on the ground level floor, is there some retail space on that north side?
     
     
  #1653  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 4:38 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusam26 View Post
Right across from the Smith's market place on 500 east there's a site fenced up with a Kier construction sign, that's the same company that build North six apartments. Anyone know whats planned on that site?
I will have a post on it next week but it will be a service provider of homeless veterans.
     
     
  #1654  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 7:11 AM
RosePark's Avatar
RosePark RosePark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 168
There is so much empty mall space in downtown between Trolley Square and the Gateway because there is only so much need and demand to go around. Gateway was the high end shopping center until City Creek took that distinction. I like that they are moving towards being an entertainment destination to distinguish itself from CCC. I think Trolley needs to find an identity too. I think it would be cool if Trolley Square featured mostly local/independent shops and restaurants. That feels like it could be of interest to tourists and locals alike
     
     
  #1655  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 1:06 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
I liked it...then I didnt....now I like it again.........I know I don't hate it
Agree EP. I'm feeling a lot better about it now than earlier with those first pics coming out. The cream color helps. Also, I think the sign could possibly be a plus to break up the monotony.
     
     
  #1656  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 1:17 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
I heard that Bed Bath and Beyond, Designer Shoe Warehouse, and Nordstrom Rack may be opening locations at the Gateway. I think all three of those would be good for Gateway, as each of them would bring more people to the mall.

Agree, gives all of the new and incoming residents of Downtown options, without having to travel to the burbs.
     
     
  #1657  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 9:36 PM
CofIKid CofIKid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 214
New Lighting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Agree EP. I'm feeling a lot better about it now than earlier with those first pics coming out. The cream color helps. Also, I think the sign could possibly be a plus to break up the monotony.
Has anyone noticed the new lighting on the Holiday Inn?

They got rid of the red neon around the building and replaced it with blue lights at the base of the tower on each corner. Klassy!
     
     
  #1658  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 9:49 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I think those would be great for additional people to the gateway.

I do think that with the additional residential being built in the area that the owners of the Gateway really should be pushing for a neighborhood market or even a scaled down supermarket.

The increase in residential is going to further increase the need for local groceries.
That idea is on their minds. I e-mailed the leasing manager 10-12 months ago and suggested a small market or even a drug store. In his reply he informed me that they had been working on those things, but at that time they were unable to get any interest from such retailers. So I assume that as the growth has and will continue in residential that it will continue to be top priority for The Gateway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RosePark View Post
There is so much empty mall space in downtown between Trolley Square and the Gateway because there is only so much need and demand to go around. Gateway was the high end shopping center until City Creek took that distinction. I like that they are moving towards being an entertainment destination to distinguish itself from CCC. I think Trolley needs to find an identity too. I think it would be cool if Trolley Square featured mostly local/independent shops and restaurants. That feels like it could be of interest to tourists and locals alike
I think the key to both The Gateway and Trolley is an increase in residential density on the surrounding blocks. I think both can have a little regional draw Gateway as the only current theaters in downtown, and Trolley Square because of it's uniqueness. I fell both are now more suited to be neighborhood focused destinations/gathering places. As residential population increases surrounding these properties the increased need of all those residents is what will ultimately lead to both that "malls" continuing to succeed and ultimately thrive.

The key to Trolley is the Hostess development, continued density increases along 4th south, and the redevelopment of other areas, like the recently completed Newhouse apartments, south of Smith's Marketplace. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new bar/club open up in Trolley Square in the next couple of years.

The Key to Gateway is honestly two fold, deal with the homeless situation and the coming residential boom in the entire Depot District.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Jan 17, 2015 at 10:01 PM.
     
     
  #1659  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 10:07 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I agree with the thoughts of increasing height limits in the Depot District. There is so much transportation infrastructure that is already in place, and ideal for even further expansion, 4th S Trax and Granary trax/streetcar, that it would be a huge lost opportunity to not allow for more density. I think that same increase in height and density will be a critical factor to helping the proposed park next to I-15 a success. Parks need to be surrounded by, in this case adjacent to a very large population base.

I think if the city were able to build some nice bridges spanning the tracks and connecting more of the Depot district to the park it would be much more successful than only have a north and south access point.


As for the Hyatt at night, I think they look pretty good, I like to majority of the design, except for the north wall. Being flat and one color just ads no dimension or interest to it. As I said one other time though, I do think that once the rounded face of the Courtyard is completed the blahness of the Hyatt north wall will not be as noticeable. Overall I like that the block is being developed and bringing more life to the area. I think it is one more step in helping to connect the Salt Palace and points east to the Gateway.
     
     
  #1660  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 10:33 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
I'm having a Skype session with my good friend who works with TRT tonight. I'll up date here tomorrow about what he heard in the meeting yesterday concerning the CCH in Salt Lake.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:28 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.