HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1601  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 4:06 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Planning Commission approved the Beehive Brick building project.
     
     
  #1602  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 6:31 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,636
Are you Derrick Blake?
     
     
  #1603  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:17 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
"Residential construction is going to be a major factor in Salt Lake City's future I expect to see 5 to 6 new towers in the next 10 years including a convention Center new office towers and new residential projects over the next decade our skyline will absolutely change"
-Vasilios Priskos principal broker and founder of InterNet Properties. Downtown the Magzine Fall/winter 2014

Ok, so we know about....
1. 111 south main
2. 151 state
3. CCH
4. Urban Air Center
5. The cascade maybe?
6. Tower 8?
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #1604  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 4:12 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
I am also pretty disappointed at the exterior material choices for Seasons at Library Square. I am just tired of developers often choosing different shades of brown. The color palette is too neutral especially for such a high profile location. I like the general design of the building, placement along the street frontage and certainly the location. I suppose that is why I was so disappointed at the finishing touches that I have seen thus far. The brick along the base will help but I'm not sure it will be enough to win me over.

On a different topic, I think Vasilios is right. ( I can't believe I'm actually saying that. The guy is the worst.) We will continue to see residential development downtown. Several developers have been in the office discussing high rise residential development though the only one that has actually purchased property and appears to be moving forward is Ivory Homes at 200 East and 300 South.

And on yet a different topic, I really like the Beehive Building and the changes that are proposed. The RDA at their board meeting on Tuesday afternoon discussed the terms of several RFP's for the Depot District. There are some great maps and general details about the expectation of future development in there if somebody wanted to post them. You can find them in the agendas at www.slcrda.com . I think that this area will see a huge transformation in the next few years. If developed as proposed I think it will create a really unique neighborhood.
     
     
  #1605  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 4:37 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
I didn't get a picture, but the bottom 4 floors or so of the Shilo/Holiday Inn are being painted white.
     
     
  #1606  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 4:59 PM
linguisize's Avatar
linguisize linguisize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
I didn't get a picture, but the bottom 4 floors or so of the Shilo/Holiday Inn are being painted white.
I'm trying not to contribute to the negativity in this forum...

I'm trying not to contribute to the negativity in this forum...

I'm trying not to contribute to the negativity in this forum...

I hope it's an intermediary step. Or something maybe...
     
     
  #1607  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:00 PM
Wasatch_One's Avatar
Wasatch_One Wasatch_One is offline
Wen Lambo
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Are you Derrick Blake?
Are you Sean Reynolds?
     
     
  #1608  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:00 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
And on yet a different topic, I really like the Beehive Building and the changes that are proposed. The RDA at their board meeting on Tuesday afternoon discussed the terms of several RFP's for the Depot District. There are some great maps and general details about the expectation of future development in there if somebody wanted to post them. You can find them in the agendas at www.slcrda.com . I think that this area will see a huge transformation in the next few years. If developed as proposed I think it will create a really unique neighborhood.
I looked over the documents and I do like the thought and possible future with the proposed phase 1 projects.

The only thing that I think may add some increased interest would be for #1 and #5 to be able to increase in height. #1 is the 3rd South, 6th West primarily commercial building, #5 is the 4th South and 5th West primarily commercial building.

I think it would be good to add increased height in these 2 lots. I am thinking that maybe encourage max height of 150'. Site 1, being where it is adjacent to the hub itself, should maybe be able to go even higher to encourage greater transit usage. The residential buildings should also be encouraged for a max height of at least 95' (current max under zoning) but allow increases in height for community upgrades, mixed incomes, unit sizes and the like.

Overall, I just would like to see some way for heights to be increased above 95' but to an overall cap. Each phase should be able to raise the height cap as development increases in the area.

Lastly, even if no height increases were allowed with phase 1, I do think that it will be a vast improvement and will be a great benefit for the area as well as the city.
     
     
  #1609  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:17 PM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by linguisize View Post
I'm trying not to contribute to the negativity in this forum...

I'm trying not to contribute to the negativity in this forum...

I'm trying not to contribute to the negativity in this forum...

I hope it's an intermediary step. Or something maybe...
Hopefully its primer
     
     
  #1610  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:35 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
"Residential construction is going to be a major factor in Salt Lake City's future I expect to see 5 to 6 new towers in the next 10 years including a convention Center new office towers and new residential projects over the next decade our skyline will absolutely change"
-Vasilios Priskos principal broker and founder of InterNet Properties. Downtown the Magzine Fall/winter 2014

Ok, so we know about....
1. 111 south main
2. 151 state
3. CCH
4. Urban Air Center
5. The cascade maybe?
6. Tower 8?
Just about all of these are right on 100 south. I wish we could get some more on west temple and along university.
     
     
  #1611  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:44 PM
airhero airhero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 968
This isn't the pic from the agenda document but I'm posting it because it shows the whole area. This could be a really neat area. In addition to the redevelopment of the two blocks you've also got the new, bigger intermodal hub to be constructed at some point (when I have no idea), and then just west of the hub the huge urban park that's planned. I feel a little iffy about the park idea though. One of my favorite things about the area around the hub is the huge warehouse just west of the tracks. I think if and when they do the park they should keep the warehouse and reuse it. The trouble is I have no idea what they would do with such a huge building.

Last edited by airhero; Jan 15, 2015 at 8:43 PM. Reason: terminology correction
     
     
  #1612  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:54 PM
SL,UT's Avatar
SL,UT SL,UT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Westshire, WVC
Posts: 136
Some humor for today.....

SLC Mayor strikes deal with Dyson to clean up Utah's Air.



full article here: http://beehivebugle.com/2015/01/13/mayor-ralph-becker-strikes-deal-dyson-clean-inversion/
     
     
  #1613  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 6:05 PM
linguisize's Avatar
linguisize linguisize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL,UT View Post
Some humor for today.....

SLC Mayor strikes deal with Dyson to clean up Utah's Air.



full article here: http://beehivebugle.com/2015/01/13/mayor-ralph-becker-strikes-deal-dyson-clean-inversion/
Well if it gives us a 600'+ tower I'm sure nobody on here would complain. I like the design.
     
     
  #1614  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 6:56 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
This isn't the pic from the agenda document but I'm posting it because it shows the whole area. This could be a really neat area. In addition to the redevelopment of the two blocks you've also got the new, bigger intermodal hub to be constructed at some point (when I have no idea), and then just west of the hub the huge urban park that's planned. I feel a little iffy about the park idea though. One of my favorite things about the area around the hub is the huge warehouse just west of the tracks. I think if and when they do the park they should keep the warehouse and redevelop it. The trouble is I have no idea what they would do with such a huge building.
I've always thought that large warehouse would make a great year-round public market.
     
     
  #1615  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:05 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
Double post
     
     
  #1616  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:07 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
I liked it...then I didnt....now I like it again.........I know I don't hate it
     
     
  #1617  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:18 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
The new sign for the ex-Shilo - New Holiday Inn Express should be going up today. The sign is on site and they have taken down the last of the rusted sign post on the corner of 2nd South and West Temple.

I am not yet sure how I feel about the colors. I walk by the building every day. I do know that I like it more than the ex-Shilo coloring. The new colors, even if some may feel blah about it, it does feel more urban, at least to me.
     
     
  #1618  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 9:08 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Makid, you and the City Council think alike. In their discussion on Tuesday they requested staff to look at modifying the zoning on those blocks to allow for increased height.
     
     
  #1619  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 9:20 PM
linguisize's Avatar
linguisize linguisize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The new sign for the ex-Shilo - New Holiday Inn Express should be going up today. The sign is on site and they have taken down the last of the rusted sign post on the corner of 2nd South and West Temple.

I am not yet sure how I feel about the colors. I walk by the building every day. I do know that I like it more than the ex-Shilo coloring. The new colors, even if some may feel blah about it, it does feel more urban, at least to me.

I think I have to agree with you there. It's not exciting, but it's also not as repulsive as it originally sounded. It's certainly better than the original orange and beige design. I think I'll just accept as is, and look forward to newer better buildings!
     
     
  #1620  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 9:39 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
A close friend of mine that works close with TRT Holdings, the parent company of Omni, just let me know that he was able to see early renderings of the future Omni CCH that will be built in Salt Lake, in Dallas this morning. He said the group was shown 2 different renderings, both were similar but tweaked slightly "depending on the location" of the CCH. He said that "the two renderings were designed with two different locations in mind".

He went onto say that the two renderings were similar to the current Omni Hotel at CNN Center, in Atlanta.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:38 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.