HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 5:17 AM

best places to shoot pdx's skyline

is it me, or does it seem like their is no one good place in this city that really captures the totality of the skyline? I don't have this problem with Seattle or San Francisco, where it seems you can get a great skyline shot from anywhere. Perhaps it's cause Portland's just not that big? Or that it's kind of spread out? Anyway I'm wondering if people here have ideas as to the best places to get a good picture of the whole skyline. Here's what I've come up with and why it's unsatisfying to me:

Mt. Tabor; you get the whole thing but it's pretty far away so it looks small.

Eastbank Esplanade; you're certainly close enough, too close in fact! Good luck getting everything from the Koin Center to Big Pink in one shot (non pano).

Pittock Mansion; great view but looking down on a skyline really puts a damper on it's majesty.

Vista St. Bridge; pretty good for lower downtown but you still miss out on big pink and the Pearl.

Broadway Bridge; This is my favorite, view as it's very close but you can still get the whole thing. Plus you are elevated so you can get a bit more of the lower rise buildings. Problem is much of downtown's tallest are blocked.

Fremont and Marquam Bridges; my favorite views of the skyline are frome here, especially the Fremont. It gives me prove that the PDX skyline is more than you see in most photos. But getting a good photo from here is illegal most of the year...

So what's the answer? Somewhere in SW? I tried Terwilliger Blvd but couldn't find anything not blocked by trees. The tram? Any ideas?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 7:33 AM
Puyo!

I did went up to OSHU(sp?) and saw really nice skyline with small mountains all over behind its skyline, but doesn't catch whole of the skyline except for the KOIN Tower and Wells Fargo tower, those type of skyline part in downtown Portland.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 2:53 PM

Need to keep looking

You would be suprised what you can get if you keep looking and at times are creative. I have found many more places by being persistent. I don't have time to elaborate at this time. Exam in a few hours.

Drive or bike around
Longer lens
Climb a tree

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 3:28 PM
Closed account

There's a great skyline view from SE Sellwood blvd. near Sellwood park...you get the totality of the PDX skyline from SoWa to LLoyd center rising from the trees...at sunset it's quite breathtaking...map

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 3:38 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Terwilliger Blvd and the Vista Ridge Bridge, Rose Garden, Portland City Grill, OHSU building in South Waterfront, upper Tram Tower.

As well as from all of the bridges.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 4:22 PM
zzzzzzzz

There's a spot I found over the entrance to the tunnel on 26. You have to go under 26 on 18th Ave, then up on Mill St. It's probably about the same view as from the Vista St. Bridge, and I don't remember if you can see big pink or the Pearl from there, but it's kind of cool with the 26/405 interchange in the foreground. I agree, the view from the Fremont Bridge is awesome. Too bad there's no pedestrian access.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 5:05 PM

If you don't mind not capturing the Lloyd, I've seen some fantastic skyline views in the Liberty Center Tower.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 7:53 PM

I'll have to try some of these out. I had a feeling I was going to be told to "get creative", I think someone just doesn't want to give away their special spot . I haven't explored much of SW yet so my hopes are high for that area. The Bank corp tower really screws things up by being so far north. Portland only has so many tall towers and one goes into hiding, so it's really noticeable. It reminds me of Boston (where I moved from) on a much smaller scale. Big Pink is like a mini-red hued John Hancock tower, visible from many places but only in isolation. Though maybe for this reason strangely beautiful. Both have reflective glass. It'll be interesting to see how Park Avenue West changes things.

As to the Fremont, I think it opens to bikes one day a year. Hope the weather's good!

How's public access to the Liberty Center Tower?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 8:46 PM

A pretty nice shot can be had from SW Upper Hall St.
Downtown + the Pearl, no Sowa though.
Take SW 13th south over 405, which will send you to 14th. Briefly go up the hill on 14th and take a right on Hall. You'll see what I mean.

It is indeed difficult to get a good shot of the city. I think it's a combination of our bend-in-the-river-with-low-hills geography, too many stubby mid-rise buildings, and the sprawling factor (particularly now with Sowa).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
A pretty nice shot can be had from SW Upper Hall St.
Downtown + the Pearl, no Sowa though.
Take SW 13th south over 405, which will send you to 14th. Briefly go up the hill on 14th and take a right on Hall. You'll see what I mean.

It is indeed difficult to get a good shot of the city. I think it's a combination of our bend-in-the-river-with-low-hills geography, too many stubby mid-rise buildings, and the sprawling factor (particularly now with Sowa).
I found a vacant lot in that area that had the most spectacular view from the south. I didn't have a camera with me at the time, but it is definitely a sight to be behold at night.

I once had some good luck taking a picture from the OMSI parking lot. It's pretty much identical to the view from the Marqam, but at a lower elevation.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 3:12 AM

good place, really good place to take a shot!

Oaks Bottom
From Amanda Fritz blog - pic by Steve Fritz
http://www.amandafritz.com/

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 3:19 AM
zzzzzzzz

^ Yeah...

Mr. Fritz has a much better camera than me!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos