Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake
I don't think that level of detail has been released yet, but the south perimeter design study doesn't call for C/D lanes like the North Perimeter, just an ultimate stage design of three lanes in each direction. Spacing between Pembina and St Mary's is not as tight as Main and Henderson.
For the 100 Red River crossing, I'd imagine they'd at least put in the pier width and girders for a 3rd lane in this upcoming reconstruction because like you said, it's congested and the entirety of the Perimeter is being reconstructed for eventual 3 lanes in each direction. If that happens it would then be very easy to add a 3rd lane between Pembina and St Mary's immediately afterwards.
I agree the bridges do get quite congested as it is. I do think some of the blame goes on driver testing quality. I'm a regular driver through there and I'm finding it quite frustrating the amount of overly cautious or inexperienced drivers that cause unnecessary congestion by being well under the speed limit with no adverse conditions, or camping in the left lane slower than the flow of traffic.
|
In my discussions the Province will be building an new twin bridge structure. They don't like single bridge structures on twinned highways. This also alleviates a lot of construction headaches involving detours. The new spans will be built to the north and south of the existing structure keeping traffic flowing during construction - the Hwy 1 Floodway bridge was built in this fashion.