HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 1:29 PM
OTownandDown OTownandDown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,637
IF the radius were larger (which it looks like it may be at Laurier) then a small jog in the bike path is reasonable.

The intersection at Bay has a jog with a radius of about 3 feet, 90 degrees one way then the other, in the width of a sidewalk.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4pLd6PzFSDoGkxRj8

As it stands, I just take the jump, and then do my best to hop the next curb. At least the guy doing concrete finishing for the jog 'island' was nice enough to ramp the concrete blob to allow for a jump, and the snowplow has dealt with the other side until its now almost flat.

Like, this is stupid. I'm sorry, but its stupid. On a GREEN light, a cyclist should be allowed to travel at ANY speed through this intersection, including 30km/hr, with very low risk. If the intersection cannot be designed so that other vehicles and pedestrians won't be in the way, I shouldn't be punished with an insane, impossible corner. When travelling eastbound across the length of Laurier, I can use the hill starting at Bronson, and esentially coast all the way to Bank. I generally wait for 30 seconds at the top of the hill, until JUST the right moment in the streetlight cycle, and then shove off so I can hit all the greens and coast half way across downtown. I still do that, but I take a fun little jump at Bay each time, jostling my bike in the process. Occasionally a delivery van will try to kill me by pulling in front of me in the bike lane, but that's a different issue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:44 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.