PDA

View Full Version : BC Place: Stadium Refurbishment | Completed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

cornholio
Apr 6, 2009, 7:32 PM
gonna agree with you there. used to be that you could get free passes by test driving cars (or as it is in Calgary and Edmonton), so i went and test drove a car and asked the guy if he knew of any thing he could give me to sweeten the deal, like free auto show passes, and he said that no one here does that.

Well I signed up for this...free breakfast and the auto show by checking out the new Prius. Unfortunately I couldent make it on the 31st. But theres always freebies out there.

Thank you for your enthusiasm to participate in the exclusive sneak peek at the all-new, 2010 Toyota Prius on Tuesday, March 31 at the Vancouver International Auto Show. You will be among the first in Canada to explore the 2010 Prius.

This e-mail is to confirm your attendance and the details of the event:

What: Exclusive sneak peek of the 2010 Toyota Prius

When: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:30 a.m (NOTE: Please arrive at 10:30am, as admission cannot be confirmed after this time)

Where: Vancouver International Auto Show
BC Place Stadium
777 Pacific Blvd
Vancouver, B.C.
V6B 4Y8

*You will be greeted by the Toyota Team at the Main Entrance.

Continental breakfast will be served. Following the Prius event you are invited to enjoy the rest of the show, but are required to remain in the Toyota area until the doors open to the public at 12 noon.

We look forward to seeing you for this once-in-a-lifetime experience, as we introduce you to the 2010 Toyota Prius. If you are now unable to attend the event, please kindly decline your attendance by replying to externalaffairs@toyota.ca by Monday, March 30 2009.

Vancity
Apr 6, 2009, 9:41 PM
For a billion dollars, one could get a brand new stadium like that of the NFL Dallas Cowboys. Now that's a NICE stadium. Roughly built for about 1.3 billion dollars.

LeftCoaster
Apr 6, 2009, 10:51 PM
Well that is 1.3 billion US so about 1.56 billion Canadian. The stadium is also in a greenfield site in suburban Dallas, so logistically it is much cheaper. I would guess a similar stadium built in downtown Vancouver including demolishing the existing BC place would be upwards of 2 billion Canadian.

newjersey19
Apr 9, 2009, 5:01 AM
http://www.governmentcaucus.bc.ca/EN/recent_news/ndp_will_axe_jobs,_investment_and_opportunities_at_bc_place/?&PHPSESSID=5651edcd90d5c1dafa40b25db91bbe94

NDP will Axe Jobs, Investment and Opportunities at BC Place
April 4, 2009

VANCOUVER – The NDP’s reckless plan to cancel renovations to B.C. Place threatens millions in economic activity and thousands of jobs, while breaking faith with our sports community, says Finance Minister Colin Hansen.

“The upgrades to B.C. Place played a key role in being granted the 2011 Grey Cup and a brand-new Major League Soccer club,” says Hansen. “There are 300 people working on the site right now, another 2,000 jobs to come, savings of $350,000 annually in energy costs and $100 million in economic activity. At a time when every job counts, it makes no sense to reject repairs that will protect the existing jobs at BC Place and create new ones. It’s clear Carole James and the NDP have no real plan for the economy and creating jobs.”

Hansen notes as recently as 2008 the NDP supported the renovations and demanded they be completed before the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. However, as they have become more desperate to justify their excessive spending plans in the face of voter scrutiny they have flipped on that position. Now the NDP say the renovations to BC Place, which includes a retractable roof, new seating, concessions, washrooms, hospitality areas, field surface and improved access for persons with disabilities, would be cancelled if they are elected.

This follows comments from NDP MLA Adrian Dix on Shaw’s Voice of BC on March 26, who said “a retractable roof wouldn't be high on the priority list” for the NDP. This follows an extensive attack advertising campaign by the NDP clearly inferring they would not invest in the refurbishment if elected.

“The NDP are recklessly and arbitrarily singling out projects that can create jobs in these difficult economic times and promote tourism and sport in our community,” says Hansen, “We can only conclude that they oppose these jobs and they oppose the economic benefits that come from investing in B.C.’s infrastructure. If this is their vision for our economy, then every British Columbian should be concerned.”

Hansen also notes the decision to cancel the project would mean that Vancouver would no longer be a location for either the 2011 Grey Cup or a Major League Soccer franchise for the Vancouver Whitecaps that was announced several weeks ago.

“The Grey Cup brings $76 million in economic activity while thrilling our football fans. The new Whitecaps team is expected to generate $25 million a year in economic activity, attracting some of the biggest names in international soccer to Vancouver while inspiring the more than 500,000 people who play and support soccer in our province. And the NDP are telling those families that they will not let that happen,” says Hansen. “We believe in British Columbia and that’s why we’re investing in projects that create jobs, economic activity and new opportunities for our sports community.”

http://www.governmentcaucus.bc.ca/EN/recent_news/ndp_will_axe_jobs,_investment_and_opportunities_at_bc_place/?&PHPSESSID=5651edcd90d5c1dafa40b25db91bbe94

Vancity
Apr 9, 2009, 7:38 AM
I'm not worried about Carole James and the NDP ("Newly Deformed Party").

what a bunch of retards.

zivan56
Apr 9, 2009, 7:59 AM
Driving drunk is retarded. Saying a retractable roof is not a high priority is pretty logical. It's not exactly a life or death investment like other things such as building social housing (which would generate...you guessed it....even more jobs!).
Love the goverment rag site btw, I was laughing pretty hard after reading some of their so called "stories."

Whalleyboy
Apr 9, 2009, 8:02 AM
like the one commercial i saw today saying look how horrible it became around here when they where in power during good times in the economy....then its said think would it would be like if they came to be in charge now lol

LeftCoaster
Apr 9, 2009, 5:52 PM
Haha so first we were posting NDP press releases, now psuedo liberal party releases. This is just as bad as Ravman.

Can we just post the news and not each party's biased bastardization of the news?

Stingray2004
Apr 11, 2009, 7:37 PM
A gong show if I've ever seen one.

First this from Vaughn Palmer of the Vancouver Sun 10 days ago in my earlier post:

Six Weeks To Go: The Fate of B.C. Place

By Vaughn Palmer 03-31-2009 View from the Ledge

The B.C. Liberals started the year by proposing a $365 milion renovation for B.C. Place, the aging sports stadium near False Creek in Vancouver. The upgrade would be financed by developing property around the publicly owned facility.

But self-financing or not, the proposal has created a handy pot of money for New Democrats to raid, any time they need a few million - or a few hundred million -- to underwrite one of their priorities.

Ask a New Democrat how they would pay for this, that or the other promise and sooner or later they'll cite the $365 million set aside for the new roof on B.C. Place.

The clear implication being that if New Democrats took office, they would cancel the roof and free up the $365 million for other purposes.

But would they cancel the project? I put that question to New Democrats Adrian Dix and John Horgan on Voice of B.C. on Shaw Cable last Thursday. Here's what they said.

Dix: "I think it shows a lack of priority. I think you can spend $365 million in a better way. It's a dishonest debate. The Premier's put forward the idea suggesting that the sale of assets, which are essentially government assets, around the stadium — that because some of the money isn't cash, that it's not $365 million. I think we should have a discussion about it, especially since the other big project downtown — the other one, the convention centre — has gone dramatically over-budget; it's more than double the budget they said it was going to do. That's not our priority, and we've said it."

So they'd probably cancel the new roof?

Dix. "We're going to be explicit about that in the campaign — about what our capital priorities are. I think if you asked people in Vancouver what their priorities are, a retractable roof wouldn't be high on the priority list. Look, there's no bigger sports fan in the Legislature than I am.

Horgan: "The two of us, actually."

I'm not. Nor am I a fan of BC Place. But a lot of people are sports fans and will be wondering what's going to happen to the old mushroom in bondage if the New Democrats take office.

Dix: "I think it just shows what his (Campbell's) priorities are, and we're going to have very different priorities in the election.

Horgan: "For someone on the Island, Vaughn — just briefly — when we hear, over on Vancouver Island, that there's $365 million available for a retractable roof, and there's no money available for transportation infrastructure here, and there's no money available for homelessness projects here on the Island, it's pretty hard to take."

Dix: "And I suspect that's the same up-country."

So it does sound as if the NDP election platform (scheduled for release next week) will put paid to the proposal for a new retractable roof on BC Place.

Presumably they will go back to some more modest proposal, such as refurbishing the current inflatable dome with something similar.

And then today, 10 days later, this from the BC NDP: :rolleyes:

Liberal lie on B.C. Place roof gets a red card

April 10, 2009

Feeling heat for their misplaced priorities, the Campbell Liberals are lying about the NDP's position on the B.C. Place roof.

Carole James' election platform does include funding to cover the estimated $365 million cost of a retractable roof based on the limited details that the Campbell government has released about the project.

http://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/liberal-lie-bc-place-roof-gets-red-card

Now it just doen't get sillier than that. :koko:

Metro-One
Apr 11, 2009, 7:47 PM
Haha so first we were posting NDP press releases, now psuedo liberal party releases. This is just as bad as Ravman.

Can we just post the news and not each party's biased bastardization of the news?

Thank you!

paradigm4
Apr 13, 2009, 7:02 AM
My pics. New gateway entrances

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3552/3433489761_f922e7dfb9.jpg?v=1239532106

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3322/3434298276_b80fd2ed45.jpg?v=1239532165

The inside renos

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3339/3434297920_e982946f6c.jpg?v=1239532150

deasine
Apr 13, 2009, 7:06 AM
I'm not doubting you paradigm, but the photos look so fake LMAO. Looks exactly like their rendering.

mr.x
Apr 13, 2009, 7:14 AM
I know renovations are still far from over....but, it looks so underwhelming...

johnjimbc
Apr 13, 2009, 7:51 AM
I'm sorry to put it so simply but the basic thing I gather - having seen the NDP web ad myself - is as follows:

"The new BC Place is a horribly misplaced priority of the BC Liberals and a waste of tax dollars that we of course will complete, contrary to the lies of our opponents."

Got it. I tell ya, the NDP just keeps reeling me in with their logic. I feel such faith in everything they say. I just know they wouldn't imply one thing to win votes on, say, Vancouver Island while sending the opposite message to those in the lower mainland. That could never happen.

ravman
Apr 13, 2009, 8:31 AM
I know renovations are still far from over....but, it looks so underwhelming...

you have seen NOTHING yet....

I STOPPED AND NOW YOU DO IT..... SHAME SHAME SHAME

A gong show if I've ever seen one.

I'm sorry to put it so simply but the basic thing I gather - having seen the NDP web ad myself - is as follows:

"The new BC Place is a horribly misplaced priority of the BC Liberals and a waste of tax dollars that we of course will complete, contrary to the lies of our opponents."

well, the reckless autocrat doesnt release informations to the public... we are lucky if we dont get the "ITS BEFORE THE COURTS" answer...
I asked the NDP about this.... and they told me that they want to re-examine the deal to make sure this is the best option there is. maybe a simpler design would save money.... look at the Canada Line... if we had gone with Bombardier and actually build the thing by ourselves, how much money could we have saved in using the rolling stock and existing OMC facilities or even building a new one ( this would save us building a third one for the PMC (evergreen) line)... how about 80m platforms... you know all the corners that were cut and the public was kept out of the loop... the NDP wants to build a simple retractable roof and not something that is overly fancy... something simple and basic is good enough.... having a roof open in 2 mins vs 10 mins... but what if it save us millions of dollars... is it worth it?

deasine
Apr 13, 2009, 8:49 AM
Don't pull the Canada Line into this... we already answered that many times.

Now the NDP wants a retractable roof... flip flopping here. I'm not sure how much more simple the roof can get... if it's opening in longer times, it has nothing to do with the design but more like years of neglect just how BC Place has been treated when the NDP was in power. Any more simpler, and I'm sure the roof will collapse after one snow storm.

mr.x
Apr 13, 2009, 9:21 AM
you have seen NOTHING yet....

Nothing, as in nothing special, or nothing as in there's a lot planned?

Let the record stand that there have been about 50 NDP news releases and about 1 Liberal release posted here.

well, the reckless autocrat doesnt release informations to the public... we are lucky if we dont get the "ITS BEFORE THE COURTS" answer...
I asked the NDP about this.... and they told me that they want to re-examine the deal to make sure this is the best option there is. maybe a simpler design would save money.... look at the Canada Line... if we had gone with Bombardier and actually build the thing by ourselves, how much money could we have saved in using the rolling stock and existing OMC facilities or even building a new one ( this would save us building a third one for the PMC (evergreen) line)... how about 80m platforms... you know all the corners that were cut and the public was kept out of the loop... the NDP wants to build a simple retractable roof and not something that is overly fancy... something simple and basic is good enough.... having a roof open in 2 mins vs 10 mins... but what if it save us millions of dollars... is it worth it?

Apples and oranges. The Canada Line was an entirely different type of project, apply some logic and you'd know there's no comparison. And so far from what I've seen, I'm satisfied with the Canada Line. As well, no corners were ever cut on the rapid transit line project.

Is it worth it? Yes it is. You complain about half-assing one project, and then in the next sentence you suggest half-assing another project? When the new roof is up, it's going to be a stunning facility and a rejuvenated landmark that people will look up to just like the new convention centre. People give buildings symbolic power. But more importantly, the 2011 Grey Cup and the MLS franchise are contingent on the massive station renovations being planned particularly the new roof.

You could obviously go for a simpler design, like a new replacement teflon inflatable roof....but, that's equivalent to wanting LRT to UBC instead of SkyTrain. Your logic is folly.

The retractable roof being planned is already quite simple. It's the only type of roof that is suitable for BC Place without any massive modifications or new separate structures...being a lightweight retractable roof on a stadium that wasn't designed for anything like a steel roof. A "complex/fancy" roof would be something like the the massive steel roofs at Safeco or Rogers SkyDome, and certainly not the Commerzbank Stadium fabric retractable roof. A fabric retractable roof is the cheapest retractable roof there is, especially for a facility the size of BC Place, and there has been only one proven type of fabric retractable roof out there:
http://wwx.baunetz.de/sixcms_4/sixcms_upload/media/2496/03_06_start.jpg
I highly doubt roof opening times would save us money.....unless, you're suggesting that there should be a much smaller retractable opening. For this "umbrella" retractable roof, I'm quite sure there is a certain opening/closing speed to make sure nothing goes wrong. It's not something that is exactly negotiable.

Interestingly, a couple pages back you were suggesting that this project should be entirely canceled because it somehow wouldn't provide the economic spinoffs that are needed during this recession....and that suggestion came when the NDP suggested it first. And now, the NDP is doing a complete 180 on the project saying that they won't cancel it (despite being "opposed" to it) and you seem to be poodleling them once again, reversing your previous position.

Sometimes I wonder if you'll jump off the bridge if the NDP also jumps too.

Vancity
Apr 13, 2009, 10:08 AM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3322/3434298276_b80fd2ed45.jpg?v=1239532165

The inside renos

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3339/3434297920_e982946f6c.jpg?v=1239532150

I can't tell whether those pictures are fake or not. But they look nice. I agree with mr. x, though...design (albeit, in its infant stages) looks underwhelming. I sure hope that as progress is made, we'll get more and more excited about the renovations. If we're going to spend, what is it? 150 mil? I would think we could make BC Place an exciting place to be for both Lions games, and Whitecaps MLS games. They really need to liven up the building both in its interior and exterior.

agrant
Apr 13, 2009, 6:34 PM
I think given that much of the reno costs are going into facilities like washrooms, corporate suites, and concession stands (there's a big chunk of your budget right there)... what we see elsewhere, like in those pics, may not change as much. What else should we be expecting other than new surfacing, paint etc.?

djh
Apr 13, 2009, 7:52 PM
Kudos to Ravman for stopping with posting the partisan political postings (p3's, anyone? ;-) ). I can read the thread again.
Now if everybody else would stop doing it and stick to the topic...:cheers:

LeftCoaster
Apr 13, 2009, 8:07 PM

Excuse me? I never post any of that garbage. Get your facts straight you fool.

vansky
Apr 13, 2009, 8:12 PM
Excuse me? I never post any of that garbage. Get your facts straight you fool.

ha, stop calling people stuff like fools, start improve yourself so you make them look like a fool.

paradigm4
Apr 13, 2009, 8:52 PM
Trust me, I wouldn't go through the hassle of botching BC Place redesign photos. Go check it out sometime. I think this was on the west side of the building.

LeftCoaster
Apr 13, 2009, 9:15 PM
ha, stop calling people stuff like fools, start improve yourself so you make them look like a fool.

?? :koko:

clooless
Apr 14, 2009, 12:29 AM

I think the new entrance design looks a lot better. The old design was so 80s.

CBeats
Apr 14, 2009, 7:21 PM
Those renos are so minimal. All they did was put some blue plastic over the top of the entrance and attempt some character by putting the letter lable off-kilter. It's laughable. Of course, they are better than what was there before, but the doors aren't even painted to match the entrance.

It just seems that they could have done so much more. I guess when the roof is added they can improve their improvements?

crazyjoeda
Apr 14, 2009, 8:00 PM
Let's wait until they're finished. I expect that with a $300 million budget much more will be done.

CBeats
Apr 14, 2009, 8:02 PM
Let's wait until they're finished. I expect that with a $300 million budget much more will be done.

Let's hope so. I usually have faith in the higher powers to make these types of things look good, but those entrances look finished.

raggedy13
Apr 14, 2009, 9:16 PM
There is fencing around them, parts of the facade boarded up, plywood and palettes strewn about them... it looks like they've barely just begun. I don't know how the finished product will look but I'm sure there will be more to it than that.

clooless
Apr 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
They should either repaint or replace the brown doors to something modern. That might be an expensive waste of money though as the revolving doors will not be needed in 2011 when the inflatable roof is replaced.

CBeats
Apr 14, 2009, 10:11 PM
There is fencing around them, parts of the facade boarded up, plywood and palettes strewn about them... it looks like they've barely just begun. I don't know how the finished product will look but I'm sure there will be more to it than that.

Good! I only had the photos to go on, so I couldn't see a lot of other stuff other than some plywood.

SFUVancouver
Apr 15, 2009, 5:19 AM
BC Place renovations
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/6185/bcplaceapril1409p111058.jpg
http://creativecommons.org/images/public/somerights20.png (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/ca/) Taken by SFUVancouver, April 14th, 2009

Vancity
Apr 15, 2009, 5:36 AM
I am pretty sure that renovations have only just begun. I too, would think that those entrance doors would be replaced, and new, more modern looking stadium doors be installed. Remember, these renovations are just the beginning (hopefully) for the world to see. If anyone could post more pictures of the renovations, that'd be awesome =)

Vancity
Apr 15, 2009, 5:36 AM
They should either repaint or replace the brown doors to something modern. That might be an expensive waste of money though as the revolving doors will not be needed in 2011 when the inflatable roof is replaced.

I agree. Those revolving doors have got to go!

nova9
Apr 20, 2009, 1:40 AM
For sure replaced them after the inflated roof is gone. No need for them then.

And I think if anything, any door installed in the renovation should be larger. Just more impressive that way, a nice big entry way.

mr.x
Apr 20, 2009, 1:53 AM
I highly doubt those doors are going before the Olympics, consider that they are specially designed to keep air pressure in. Removing/replacing them may be complex while the roof is inflated. It's highly unlikely they'll spent hundreds of thousands just for new temporary doors.

jlousa
Apr 28, 2009, 5:22 AM
It's nice to see this thread civil and not littered. :tup:

A little bit of news regarding the renos, looks like some goodies are coming. An interesting thing is the tender is due in only 10 days and must be installed within 2 months. Seems like a very short timeline.

Requirements to furnish a complete turnkey LED fascia video display package for BC Place in Vancouver BC.
Installation must be complete by June 20, 2009, with system to be removed at conclusion of CFL season (estimated to be from the middle to late November 2009) with re-installation to take place at a date to be determined.

One (1) 25mm full-color outdoor rated LED Fascia Video Display – approximately 1700’ x 4’
One (1) 20mm full-color outdoor rated LED Sideline Video Display – approximately 800’ x 4’, complete with cases to facilitate movement and storage

So a new led ribbon board will loop the stadium, as well as the enough led boards to wrap the field all the way more then once. Interesting that they must be removed for the games, wonder what they have in store...

If anyone is an A/V expert pm me and I can send you the details of the boards.

EastVanMark
Apr 28, 2009, 5:34 AM
Great news! Should be a huge upgrade to the gameday experience at the dome for the Lions

mr.x
Apr 28, 2009, 5:48 AM
That's great! What do you mean by enough boards to wrap the field once more???

I think I know why they have to be removed....a lot of the lights, particularly projectors, and other equipment are often hanged on the edge of the upper tier seatsfor the ceremonies. I'm guessing the ribbon board would be in the way of all of that. Given they can't exactly install projection and lighting equipment wherever they want on the roof, unlike at Beijing, they will most likely be cramming quite a bit on the edge there.

As well, a lot of projectors are bound to be used at these ceremonies....many, many, more than Beijing.

Vancity
Apr 28, 2009, 6:50 AM
GRREAT NEWS! I agree, I think this will add to the game day experience at BC Place with the Lions, and the soon-to-be MLS Whitecaps. Awesomeness.

Vancity
Apr 28, 2009, 8:04 AM

A little bit of news regarding the renos, looks like some goodies are coming. An interesting thing is the tender is due in only 10 days and must be installed within 2 months. Seems like a very short timeline.

So a new led ribbon board will loop the stadium, as well as the enough led boards to wrap the field all the way more then once. Interesting that they must be removed for the games, wonder what they have in store...

If anyone is an A/V expert pm me and I can send you the details of the boards.

I'm curious, but are there renderings of this?

WarrenC12
Apr 28, 2009, 2:13 PM
Can't wait for the CFL season to start. It will be my 2nd year as a season ticket holder.

Overground
Apr 28, 2009, 5:21 PM
I'm guessing the 'LED Sideline Video Display' would be field level advertising boards you see at many stadia around the world. Seattle's Qwest had a system installed recently for the Sounders FC opening season. 800ft would approx. get you a complete row down each side of the field for a CFL set-up. They're moveable pieces so a CFL set-up would require a different lay out than for a soccer match though. Here's pics of Qwest's system plus you can see the upper level fascia video wrap -

http://www.ancsports.com/gallery/2009/3/19/seattle-sounders/

mr.x
Apr 28, 2009, 5:28 PM
^ it's really too bad the board on the balcony won't be staying during the Games.

lol, i wonder how easily breakable those things are...i've seen Lions games where they've crashed onto the side of the field numerous of times.

Overground
Apr 28, 2009, 5:30 PM
I was wondering that too. I think they'd have to put them back more towards the seating or something.

djmk
Apr 28, 2009, 5:32 PM

lol, i wonder how easily breakable those things are...

i think they are quite durable. A lot of european hocky rinks have them around their boards and they hold up pretty well.

officedweller
Apr 28, 2009, 6:21 PM
Of interest, from the National Post:

UNSEAMLY
Some wrinkles in the Rogers Centre FieldTurf are dealing some bad hops to Blue Jays infielders

John Lott, National Post
April 28, 2009

Scott Rolen likens the Rogers Centre turf to the fabled Boston Garden basketball court. When you build a playing surface in small pieces, the ball is bound to take crazy bounces, Rolen says.

The Boston Celtics' old parquet court, originally pieced together with 264 pieces of wood, famously contained warped spots where dribbles went to die. On the synthetic grass of Rogers Centre, baseballs can play cruel tricks on infielders.

"We have some Boston Garden parquet dead boards here," said Rolen, who plays third base for the Toronto Blue Jays.

Installed to great fanfare in 2005, the FieldTurf surface is starting to show its age, according to Rolen and his fellow infielders. Shortstop Marco Scutaro said he has encountered "bounces like you've never seen before." Second baseman Aaron Hill insists he should have snared a couple of grounders that he missed this season, but in the moment, he could be seen shaking his head and glaring at a spot on the turf.

"Something's going to have to be done about it," said infield coach Brian Butterfield.

Players and coaches are quick to add that stadium crews are doing everything they can.

"They do a great job," said reserve infielder John McDonald. "They put a lot of time and effort into that field. It's very much appreciated, but they've been dealt a difficult hand."

This is their hand: a playing surface built from approximately 1,350 trays of FieldTurf, taken apart and reassembled regularly throughout the year to accommodate concerts, trade shows and other events as well as baseball and football. Each tray is eight feet wide and 14 feet long. The synthetic grass sprouts from a blend of rubber pellets and sand.

Special machines and eagle-eyed workers collect the trays and stack them in storage for non-sports events, then put them back down and meticulously realign countless seams when the Jays return from a road trip. The wear and tear in such a process is obvious. The granular base can shift, causing uneven spots. Seams can loosen.

Kelly Keyes, the stadium's vice-president of building services, likens the job to laying an enormous tile floor. The trick, she says, is to re-install it time and again, with many of the tiles in different spots, while keeping the seams snug and the surface level.

"It's quite challenging when you have 400 feet and everything has to be perfectly straight," she says.

The Tampa Bay Rays also play on FieldTurf at Tropicana Field. Minnesota's Metrodome has it, too. Unlike the Rogers Centre format, however, those surfaces were installed in long, wide rolls, and they are permanent.

When FieldTurf was installed before the 2005 baseball season, it was hailed as a quantum leap from the rock-hard AstroTurf it replaced. The surface was softer and thus easier on players' bodies. Batted balls bounced predictably. It was not grass, but it was close, players said.

"It was great," McDonald recalled. "What we're seeing now is normal wear and tear. There's nothing we can do about it. It's not something that should be complained about. Both teams have to play on it. You just hate to see something happen at a critical point in a game."

Something did happen in the Jays' fourth game this year. With a runner on third, Detroit's Magglio Ordonez hit a routine roller toward third baseman Jose Bautista. As he charged, the ball veered to his right and rolled past him for an RBI single.

In subsequent games, and during batting practice when Butterfield hits ground balls to infielders, players started noticing more bad hops than in years past. More conversations about "dead spots" ensued.

"Last year I thought it played pretty well," Butterworth said. "I think this is the worst it has been and the most difficult to play on since we've used this stuff. It's not the fault of the grounds crew. There's only so much you can do."

Bad hops happen on any field, but it is easier for groundskeepers to groom natural surfaces and for fielders to develop intimate knowledge of the areas they defend.

"An infielder's biggest ally is being able to trust in that next hop," Butterfield said. "When you can't trust that next hop, you kind of start playing defence with a little trepidation. You don't know what's coming next."

Keyes, who oversees field conversions and maintenance, agrees that the field is "not ideal." But she said the surface has the blessing of Major League Baseball officials and their counterparts from the National Football League (because the Buffalo Bills are occasional visitors).

Where possible, portions of the turf stay in place for non-sports events. For the U2 concerts in September, turf will be removed to accommodate the stage but field-level chairs will be set up on the greenery. Keyes says chair divots bounce back within two hours. "It's a very resilient field," she said.

When the turf is restored, staff check every seam with special measuring devices and drop a bead of pellets and sand where needed, she added. When the Jays are home, "we actually walk every seam pretty well every day," she said.

Her staff responds quickly to concerns from players and coaches. "That's the best feedback we get, because it looks good when we put it down, but we don't know for sure until they're are out there and actually using it."

FieldTurf guarantees the surface for eight years. Keyes says she believes it will last that long.

"It's not ideal," she said. "It's like a car. It's not working the way it was at the very beginning because then it was under ideal conditions. But we're doing what the manufacturer specified. It's still a playable surface. And again, we're a multi-purpose facility."

Butterfield, of course, is focused on a single purpose. He says a major-league field should give true hops.

"At this level," he said, "you never want to see games turn because of a bad bounce."

mr.x
May 8, 2009, 1:13 AM

You can't say the same for the 2010 section at GamesBids, it's almost as if he who must not be named dropped a bomb in there...his latest topic:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14043&st=0&start=0

With no moderation, he has single handedly destroyed that forum.

miniaturesnickers
May 20, 2009, 8:55 PM
FYI -

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2009/05/19/pf-9496101.html

Meanwhile, sources told 24 hours construction crews dug a 20-foot-deep hole in the centre of B.C. Place's concrete floor to prepare for the gas-fed, water-cooled Olympic flame cauldron.

Photographs shot May 13 show workers filling in a square area with sand or gravel and wood planks around a smaller square slab.

officedweller
May 20, 2009, 10:41 PM
INteresting. The field won't be needed for any competitions - so there's no reason why the flame can't be in the middle of the field - having it low down would also keep it far from the roof fabric.

wrenegade
May 20, 2009, 11:19 PM
I still wish they could have done something so the rest of the city could have seen the flame burning the for the duration of the games.

WarrenC12
May 20, 2009, 11:26 PM
INteresting. The field won't be needed for any competitions - so there's no reason why the flame can't be in the middle of the field - having it low down would also keep it far from the roof fabric.

Better not hurt the Lions this year! :cheers:

metroXpress
May 20, 2009, 11:28 PM
yes, I saw the pic of BC Place with a hole in the 24 hrs....I believe it was yesterday's papers.

mr.x
May 21, 2009, 5:20 AM
wow...i'm surprised. It's too bad though that this was leaked, i'd prefer not to know anything about the ceremonies.

And considering that Jean is doing the torch relay in Greece, I can only assume that it means she won't be declaring the Games open in the opening....that Elizabeth will be doing it.

mr.x
May 26, 2009, 7:29 AM
From kendegra at GamesBids
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RFvrtFmdhJo/Sg2KkGX_hwI/AAAAAAAAADk/DNqVbjoID-0/s1600/DSC_3370.JPG

mr.x
Jun 4, 2009, 2:36 AM
Ironworkers warn of possible job loss on BC Place Stadium project

By Gerry Bellett, Vancouver Sun
June 3, 2009 4:02 PM

VANCOUVER -- The B.C. Federation of Labour and the Ironworkers union warned Wednesday about the possible loss of 150 jobs if a $365-million contract to put a retractable roof over BC Place Stadium is awarded to out-of-province bidders.

The B.C. Pavilion Corporation (PavCo) is planning to build a retractable roof over the stadium once the 2010 Winter Games are over and expects the project to be completed by the spring or summer of 2011.

Ironworkers Local 712 officials told a news conference that two of the four companies shortlisted for the steel fabrication part of the project are from Ontario and Quebec.

“B.C’s steel fabrication industry can compete fairly with anyone if we have a level playing field and if the advantages of keeping work at home here in B.C. are considered,” said Local 712 business manager Rene Watteel.

Watteel said the steel fabrication industry in B.C. is highly competitive “but can’t win if the non-B.C. companies are being subsidized by [their provincial] governments or if keeping work in B.C. has no value.”

B.C. Federation of Labour president Jim Sinclair said given the rise in unemployment in B.C. “this is the time to keep every family-supporting job we have — especially jobs funded by the public.”

Watteel said the BC Place project would keep 150 shop fabricators and erectors in work for two years.

The union believes the short list for bidders consisted of Burnaby-based George Third and Son, Delta’s Canron Western Constructors and firms based in Ontario and Quebec.

PavCo chair David Podmore said the Crown corporation had “a strong preference to have as much of this work as possible undertaken locally.”

“But there are components of this project that simply can’t be produced in B.C. For example the cable, it’s only made in two or three locations in the world,” Podmore said.

The province doesn’t have the capacity to produce and machine the castings that will hold the cables in place, he said.

“The [roof] fabric is not produced in B.C. It will be cut and fit in B.C. There’s a huge amount of work for local contractors to chase. All the work in terms of the erecting and installing the cables and equipment into the buildings, that’s clearly going to be done with local labour,” Podmore said.

As for the tender process, he said PavCo had received tenders for 40 packages of work.

“We are just now going through the process of evaluating those bids. It’s going to take us three to five weeks to do that. At that point we’ll be able to tell everyone who has been awarded the work and address any questions around what portion of this work will be done in B.C.,” he said.

gbellett@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

JC

June 03, 2009 - 6:52 PM
Flag this as Inappropriate

The time for Unions is over. They drive the coist of everything up!

Eddy

June 03, 2009 - 6:10 PM

I am tired of getting gouged by our local steel workers good on you Gordo.

grant c

June 03, 2009 - 5:44 PM

what a bunch of STUPID comments from the readers, can't you morons equate more BC people working equals less taxes for ALL BC residents

No bull for me

June 03, 2009 - 5:44 PM

I think in this situation, the contract should be rewarded to the company who is the most competent and skilled to do the work. If BC doesn't have the level of expertise for some specific jobs, there's nothing you can do about it. If this means hiring companies in Ontario or Quebec, then so be it. Hey, as long as it's a Canadian company, what are we complaining about? We're talking BC Place Stadium here, this is a big project. We're also talking taxpayer dollars. We don't want to overspend on a crummy job and end up paying more for repairs a few years down the road. I think shelling out taxpayer money to a company that will do a good job on the roof would be a great investment in the long run.

Ed

June 03, 2009 - 5:38 PM

Really, no union? Tell us about the BC Convention Centre's budget. At least it's on time and on budget.... oh, wait....

A philosophically-based hatred is no excuse for farming out BC jobs and making the rich richer.

Cheapseats

June 03, 2009 - 5:34 PM

What is the union worried about? You're either competitive or you're not.

If all standards and safety criteria are met, let the lowest bidder get on with the job.

Why should taxpayers subsidize the ironworkers?

Edward

June 03, 2009 - 5:29 PM

This stadium will host the world... perhaps our hospitality can begin with our business practices. What if the world shut out BC's worker in the same fashion -- not much fun there for anyone in the long run.

Ed

June 03, 2009 - 5:26 PM

Way to go Gordon Campbell and the BC Liberals by not outsourcing to the US, or Germany like you used to! Instead of tossing away good paying jobs to international companies, now we are just giving them to other provinces. Who is going to share in the wealth from this project- not the tax-paying, blue-collar citizens. Yet another example of the BC Liberals looking out for their buddies at the top.

unsympathetic

June 03, 2009 - 5:10 PM

Maybe you should scale back your outrageous wages to be more competitive, rather than asking the tax-payer to put undeserved money in your jeans

No Unions

June 03, 2009 - 4:44 PM

“B.C’s steel fabrication industry can compete fairly with anyone if we have a level playing field and if the advantages of keeping work at home here in B.C. are considered,” said Local 712 business manager Rene Watteel. TRANSLATION: Overpay the local 712 union workers to do a job with which they have less expertise and capability to do, so that this project can go tremendously OVER budget! Whenever you put names such as Jim Sinclair, a union head and lifer into the mix, you know you are getting the absolute WORST VALUE you can have for your taxpaying money.:haha: :tup:

Tom

June 03, 2009 - 4:42 PM

Why are the Ironworkers calling a press conference to announce that some of their competitors are from out of province? Where's the news? What are they afraid of? Please, Pavco, award the contract to the most competent bidder. No compromises.

Jammers76

June 03, 2009 - 4:32 PM

Didn't old Gordo say in the last election he was pumping money into BC to stabilize our economy.. Jobs for BC?? Yet he is planning on moving yet another job out of the province and possibly the country... when will we learn... when will he learn?? Why do we keep voting for these idiots?

Eric

June 03, 2009 - 4:16 PM

"B.C’s steel fabrication industry can compete fairly with anyone if we have a level playing field and if the advantages of keeping work at home here in B.C. are considered" That almost made sense.

jlousa
Jun 4, 2009, 2:56 AM
Please refrain from adding the comment section with the stories, they only provide clutter, if you find one of the comments informative you can post it seperately. Cheers

raggedy13
Jun 4, 2009, 3:49 AM
I just quickly grabbed this pick of one of the gates at BC Place yesterday. Is the newer grey structure what all the doorways will look like?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/3592196694_cdba614238_b.jpg

Canadian Mind
Jun 4, 2009, 3:55 AM
Thats sad, was hoping for a bit mroe glamour.

EastVanMark
Jun 4, 2009, 4:16 AM
I'm guessing thats a handicap entrance

officedweller
Jun 4, 2009, 5:37 PM
Yeah, looks like a mini air-lock for handicapped access.

miniaturesnickers
Jun 4, 2009, 6:08 PM
Hopefully the rest of the revolving doors will be painted silver to match.

ambaUp
Jun 6, 2009, 4:28 AM
Did anyone catch global news today. They showed off how the roof would open and have a video on their site http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/bc/video/index.html?releasePID=A1OD_Jy76MCUAP1dOuajFziOGGAC_jcF.

On the Early News they stated they had exclusive pictures released for the 1st time and then showed a picture from the original post of this thread. The rest was just restating info already stated in this thread. That the bathroom, club suite improvements would be done before Lions first game. That they're doing some work on the exterior before the Olympics so that after the Olympics the new roof can be installed before the 2011 Whitecaps opener.

98fb
Jun 6, 2009, 4:38 AM
hole is way to small. Its to bad because it would have been awesome otherwise. I like the fact that you can see outside from below the roof.

deasine
Jun 6, 2009, 5:20 AM
Is is just me, or does Global BC's video thing NEVER work for me...

ravman
Jun 6, 2009, 5:28 AM
if u guys are good... and if you all vote NDP in 2013 ( i did say ALL... u know who u are :P) ill post pics next week... first home game is on the 23rd... and you will get to see it before the loosers at canwest see it :P

mr.x
Jun 6, 2009, 6:30 AM
^ we'll allow you to post 5 NDP propaganda news stories from now till then. :p

After watching that vid, it's a huge shame we couldn't have that by 2010. I know i've said it a few dozen times, but i still can't believe we didn't grasp that opportunity.

Spork
Jun 6, 2009, 3:32 PM
Is is just me, or does Global BC's video thing NEVER work for me...

The problem is with the link. Try this: http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/bc/video/index.html

Click "news hour".

mr.x
Jun 6, 2009, 5:16 PM
London Olympic Stadium

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3318/3592845632_b37f2ab322_o.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2v1ajw8.jpg

SpongeG
Jun 6, 2009, 6:42 PM
they said people will notice a lot of new flat screens too all over the place

dtrain
Jun 9, 2009, 2:56 PM
I heard Podmore on the Team1040 on Saturday state that the roof will be ready in time for 2011 Grey Cup. Sounds like it will be a bit later than originally planned. What about the Whitecaps 2011 season that opens in the spring?

WarrenC12
Jun 9, 2009, 3:54 PM
Damn I listed to 1040 all the time but missed that. What about the Lions 2010 and 2011 seasons, will they still be able to play in BC Place? It would be great to see some games with no roof. :cheers:

dtrain
Jun 9, 2009, 10:21 PM
Old roof will be in place while new roof is being constructed over it.
I don't think Whitecaps will be happy about unveiling new MSL franchise under dingy old roof! Would like to hear Lenarduzzi's comments on this.

mr.x
Jun 9, 2009, 11:23 PM
Old roof will be in place while new roof is being constructed over it.
I don't think Whitecaps will be happy about unveiling new MSL franchise under dingy old roof! Would like to hear Lenarduzzi's comments on this.

Agreed....not to mention, you could say the same thing about the old dome for the Olympics.

Delirium
Jun 17, 2009, 12:11 PM
VANOC to splurge on BC Place fix-ups
Posted Tuesday, June 16, 2009 11:04 PM ET
By Rod Mickleburgh, The Globe and Mail

As the recession continues to whistle around them, organizers of the 2010 Winter Olympics remain flush with cash. So much so that, in a surprise move, they are coughing up an extra $8.3-million dollars to make the Games opening and closing ceremonies even more of a whiz-bang spectacle.
What the money will be used for, however, is a big, fat secret.

The unexpected contribution, which whittles VANOC's construction contingency fund down to a bare-bones $1.3-million, is earmarked for a number of undisclosed alterations to BC Place, the huge domed stadium where the ceremonies will take place, the first in Olympic history to be held indoors.

"We have some funds available to put into certain pieces of the stadium that are directly tied to the show that our executive producer wants to put on," Dave Cobb, VANOC executive vice-president and deputy CEO, said Tuesday.

"But we're not prepared to say very much about it. We'd like to keep what we're doing secret, until the opening ceremonies happen, for the surprise element."

There was immediate speculation the mystery money would be used, at least partly, to revamp the cavernous stadium's notorious sound system, renowned for producing far more echo than clarity.

The spending was part of VANOC's latest quarterly financial report that continued the organization's pattern of presenting a rosy picture despite the troubled economy.

"This was a very positive quarter," chief VANOC financial officer John McLaughlin told reporters. "Once again, our revenues exceeded expenditures, and we have a strong cash balance."

At the same time, Mr. McLaughlin cautioned that VANOC is far from home free. The recession is real, the worst in years, he said, and some suppliers expected to bid for VANOC contracts have fallen by the wayside.

"The recession has clearly now arrived in Canada and British Columbia. All of our partners and stakeholders are being impacted: our government partners and the [International Olympic Committee], Canadian and world-wide sponsors. and suppliers, individuals and the media."

Although VANOC has not yet taken a major financial hit from any anticipated revenue source, Mr. McLaughlin said, the organization intends to remain prudent. "We don't believe we will see a marked [economic] improvement in the 240 days before the Games begin. They start on Feb. 12, no matter what happens, and we must be ready."

One cause of concern is the failure of the IOC, so far, to secure two more top international sponsors, budgeted to contribute another $30-million to VANOC coffers. The IOC had a target of 11 global sponsors, but the recession has stalled the number at nine.

However, Mr. Cobb insisted organizers are not overly worried. "If there is a shortfall, we are going to work with the IOC to make it up," he said. "Our relationship is much broader than sponsorships. We are looking at other ways of bridging the gap."

As for the BC Place cash, Mr. Cobb stressed that the extra money will be used on construction improvements to remain after the Games. The ceremonies' overall operating budget will stay at $38-million.

"We think it will be money very well spent, and, given the fact that it does have a legacy value to the taxpayers once the Games finish, we felt it was a good investment to make," Mr. Cobb said. "These are not production costs," he said. "They are infrastructure costs going into the stadium."

The distinction is important because VANOC's entire construction budget of $580-million is being underwritten jointly by the federal and provincial governments. Neither government would likely be amused if money they forked over for construction were used for other matters.

If VANOC's construction contingency fund were not used up, the remainder would have been returned to government, Mr. Cobb said.

"The priority was to allow us to do certain things in both opening and closing ceremonies that we otherwise would not be able to do."

mr.x
Jun 17, 2009, 2:33 PM
YAY!:cheers:

edit - the article was edited a few hours ago to include this nonsense:

That involved “getting our board comfortable in a few areas relating to the rest of the program,” he added.

Construction boss Dan Doyle “had to show with a great deal of confidence that he wouldn’t need anything beyond the $1.3 million to complete the final pieces of the other venue program,” added Cobb.

McLaughlin said most of the $48 million in remaining construction is already committed.

“We have a pretty darn good idea of where it’s going to go and what it will cost, so there’s not that much exposure left,” he said.

NDP Olympic critic Kathy Corrigan said she needed convincing.

“It’s a pretty small margin of error,” she said.

“In Torino, after completion some venues didn’t meet the requirements of an Olympic venue and they had to do some upgrading.”

Maureen Bader, B.C. director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, said the lack of transparency “is a cause of great concern.”

“There seems to be no control on spending,” she added. “As long as it’s got the word ‘Olympic’ attached to it, it seems to be approved.”

The problem with Olympic host cities is that they always try to hide the true facts from the public, said Chris Shaw of 2010 Watch.

“We’re looking at legal options in order to make [Vancouver 2010] comply with the various promises they made,” he said.

“We’d like to create a bit of law that shows that, in future, when you bring this dog and pony show to town, you’d better be telling the truth.”
© copyright (c) CNS Olympics

Spork
Jun 17, 2009, 3:50 PM
Please don't post the comments. We all know that most of them are idiotic, and it only makes me irate (anybody else?).

city-dweller
Jun 17, 2009, 4:19 PM
I would point out a general strike would push the moderates closer to the Liberals.

Re: comments being posted -should have just posted a few most of they say the same thing.

ravman
Jun 17, 2009, 6:17 PM
wow.... i really should stop by and give u all some updates...

and if someone pays me, i am willing to rip up the field and take some pics :)

miniaturesnickers
Jun 17, 2009, 6:24 PM
An update would be most welcome! :)

raggedy13
Jun 17, 2009, 10:43 PM
Please don't post the comments. We all know that most of them are idiotic, and it only makes me irate (anybody else?).

I agree. :(

Delirium
Jun 18, 2009, 1:12 PM
YAY!:cheers:

edit - the article was edited a few hours ago to include this nonsense:

That involved “getting our board comfortable in a few areas relating to the rest of the program,” he added.

Construction boss Dan Doyle “had to show with a great deal of confidence that he wouldn’t need anything beyond the $1.3 million to complete the final pieces of the other venue program,” added Cobb.

McLaughlin said most of the $48 million in remaining construction is already committed.

“We have a pretty darn good idea of where it’s going to go and what it will cost, so there’s not that much exposure left,” he said.

NDP Olympic critic Kathy Corrigan said she needed convincing.

“It’s a pretty small margin of error,” she said.

“In Torino, after completion some venues didn’t meet the requirements of an Olympic venue and they had to do some upgrading.”

Maureen Bader, B.C. director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, said the lack of transparency “is a cause of great concern.”

“There seems to be no control on spending,” she added. “As long as it’s got the word ‘Olympic’ attached to it, it seems to be approved.”

The problem with Olympic host cities is that they always try to hide the true facts from the public, said Chris Shaw of 2010 Watch.

“We’re looking at legal options in order to make [Vancouver 2010] comply with the various promises they made,” he said.

“We’d like to create a bit of law that shows that, in future, when you bring this dog and pony show to town, you’d better be telling the truth.”
© copyright (c) CNS Olympics

i'm not sure what the uproar is about exactly? this 8.3$ million is not new money. it was always there and earmarked for construction projects. anyone in business knows that if you don't spend you entire budget, you loose it.
and that's exactly what they're doing. nothing wrong with that.

officedweller
Jun 23, 2009, 6:21 PM
Article from the Vancouver Sun on possibly using Empire Stadium site for temporary stadium while the new roof is put on BC Place.
Reading between the lines, it appears that some of the tenders (i.e. the cheaper ones?) requires that BC Place be completely shut down for a period.

B.C. Lions may return to original site of Empire Stadium
Team might play some 2010 CFL games at old Empire Stadium location while B.C. Place gets new roof

By Gary Kingston, Vancouver Sun June 23, 2009 10:34 AM

VANCOUVER — A retractable roof won’t be installed at BC Place until 2011, but the B.C. Lions could be playing in an open-air facility a year earlier.

The Vancouver Sun has learned that the B.C. Pavilion Corp. and the Canadian Football League club that is PavCo’s primary tenant are considering moving at least some games in the 2010 season to a temporary facility at the site of old Empire Stadium in east Vancouver during construction of the new roof.

Construction is expected to start soon after BC Place serves as host for the Closing Ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

The 32,375-seat Empire Stadium was home to the Lions from 1954 to 1982 and to the Vancouver Whitecaps of the North American Soccer League during the 1970s and ’80s. The stadium was demolished in the early 1990s and served as a parking lot for the Pacific National Exhibition for several years before the property was converted to soccer and ball fields.

With PavCo now evaluating tenders on the roof project, neither David Podmore, the Crown agency’s chair, nor B.C. Lions executives would directly confirm the old Empire site is in play.

“I can’t go down that path,” Podmore said in a telephone interview. “We’re just in the final stage of evaluation of a very complex bid, or tender. As soon as we’ve reached a conclusion as to what’s the best approach, we’ll share those thoughts and suggestions as to how we’ll proceed. What we’re doing is looking at all the various ways to minimize the impact not only on the Lions but all tenants. We’re examining all options to find the most cost-effective approach.”

Those other tenants include such long-standing trade shows as the Vancouver International Auto Show, the B.C. Home and Garden Show, the Vancouver International Boat Show and the golf and outdoor recreation show. Some of those could be moved, if necessary, to the new Vancouver Convention Centre.

But there are relatively few options available in Greater Vancouver for CFL games with 30,000-plus seats. “Potentially it would be possible,” PNE spokeswoman Laura Ballance said Monday of installing temporary grandstands, concessions and washrooms on the green space in the shadow of Playland’s wooden roller-coaster. “We can’t comment on any discussions, but we can say we don’t have a formal proposal in front of us at this time. With our long history with the B.C. Lions and going into our centennial year next year, there might be some synergy there . . . but we have no formal proposal from PavCo or the B.C. Lions.”

Lions owner David Braley said it would not be appropriate for him to comment while PavCo was still evaluating what is the “most cost-effective way to build roofs.”

George Chayka, the Lions vice-president, business, also tried to defer all questions to PavCo. He said the Lions have not looked at any potential sites for relocated games, but did acknowledge that the University of B.C.’s Thunderbird Stadium would be too small, even with temporary seating.

“If there is a move from BC Place, it will be announced in due course,” he said. “I’m sure PavCo will be cognizant of our needs in whatever decision could be made.”

gkingston@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

djmk
Jun 23, 2009, 6:31 PM
i would LOVE to see a Lions game at empire. I remember seeing the whitecaps and lions there when i was a kid. It would bring back awesome memories. Temporary stands or not, I am there!

outdoors is how sporting events should be watched!

EastVanMark
Jun 23, 2009, 6:48 PM
The only problem is that Empire stadium is no longer and the current field(s) have a huge trench running right down the middle of them where an old underground stream was and still is. Second, the cost of building a temporary structure for several games would be quite large. The money used could/would be better spent on upgrading existing facilities at UBC's Thunderbird Stadium.

mrjauk
Jun 23, 2009, 7:13 PM
The only problem is that Empire stadium is no longer and the current field(s) have a huge trench running right down the middle of them where an old underground stream was and still is. Second, the cost of building a temporary structure for several games would be quite large. The money used could/would be better spent on upgrading existing facilities at UBC's Thunderbird Stadium.

Yours is a much better idea. They could upgrade the existing grandstand at T-Bird stadium, and put in temporary seating for about 20,000 more. This would be from about June through July/August, so it wouldn't have a negative impact on university sports.

Yume-sama
Jun 23, 2009, 7:22 PM
How many people do the Lions usually get out? They surely don't sell out often if ever?

I am actually thinking of going to one game this Summer! :P

WarrenC12
Jun 23, 2009, 7:30 PM
How many people do the Lions usually get out? They surely don't sell out often if ever?

I am actually thinking of going to one game this Summer! :P

Hey I'm a season ticket holder! I'd love to see some outdoor games in 2010, but converting existing ticket holders to a new/temp seat configuration would be a pretty big hassle. :notacrook:

Last season's attendance (http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/year/2008/1).

Average in the low 30s.. close to double the Canucks. :D A sellout of BC Place is around 55k for football I think, they only open half of the upper deck during the regular season, I think a sellout in that config would be around 40k.

Yume-sama
Jun 23, 2009, 7:32 PM
I've only been to one CFL game in my life, here in Calgary vs. Edmonton about 12 years ago :P

The Lions attract me far more, with having actual seats and not benches, and being inside. No way would I sit in the cold for this football!

raggedy13
Jun 23, 2009, 9:47 PM
I'm going to the game tonight! :)

agrant
Jun 23, 2009, 11:20 PM
I've only been to one CFL game in my life, here in Calgary vs. Edmonton about 12 years ago :P

The Lions attract me far more, with having actual seats and not benches, and being inside. No way would I sit in the cold for this football!Cold? Oh please.

Yume-sama
Jun 23, 2009, 11:58 PM
Cold? Oh please.

:P Well, I was saying that's why I've only gone to one game in Calgary. It does get cold! :frog:

agrant
Jun 24, 2009, 12:31 AM
:P Well, I was saying that's why I've only gone to one game in Calgary. It does get cold! :frog:Oh, thought you were talking about watching in Vancouver. I've seen a few games in the dome here. It is never cold, but what gets me is sheer bordom.

EastVanMark
Jun 24, 2009, 12:32 AM
Can't wait to see the shape that the building will be in tonight. Went by there a week ago and it was a war zone. Hope the new club seats and refurbished luxury boxes look as good as they do from the outside

Yume-sama
Jun 24, 2009, 2:52 AM
Oh, thought you were talking about watching in Vancouver. I've seen a few games in the dome here. It is never cold, but what gets me is sheer bordom.

So you're one of the four people who aren't already drunk by the time the game starts? :haha:

agrant
Jun 24, 2009, 3:08 AM
So you're one of the four people who aren't already drunk by the time the game starts? :haha:That just shows the level of commitment the fans have towards actually watching the game. Amazing how many people are more concerned about lining up for the concession stand.

miniaturesnickers
Jun 24, 2009, 4:34 AM
Was down there pre-game tonight. They've installed giant letters outside each gate indicated which gate you're at (different that the ones previously posted) and, at least on the west side, they've definitely cleaned the concrete ring around the roof. It's still concrete (read: grey and dull), but much better sans 25 years of grime.

hollywoodnorth
Jun 24, 2009, 5:03 AM
Thunderbird Stadium with temp seating would be WAYYY better than old Empire Field....there is nothing there.....at least at UBC there is some bathrooms and concessions, etc

miniaturesnickers
Jun 24, 2009, 8:12 PM
Anyone who was there: Let's see some pics!

djmk
Jun 24, 2009, 9:30 PM
B.C. Place facelift gets thumbs up

Most fans overly impressed with ongoing improvements at stadium

By Marc Weber, The ProvinceJune 24, 2009

Edmonton defensive back Scott Gordon (26) tries to deke Lions running back Martell Mallet Tuesday night in CFL exhibition play at B.C. Place Stadium.

Edmonton defensive back Scott Gordon (26) tries to deke Lions running back Martell Mallet Tuesday night in CFL exhibition play at B.C. Place Stadium.
Photograph by: Nick Procaylo, The Province, The Province

B.C. Place Stadium's interior renovations went over slightly better than the B.C. Lions' on-field facelift Tuesday night.

Fans watching the revamped Lions' 31-19 preseason loss to the Edmonton Eskimos were the first to take in The Dome, Version 2.0.

Phase One of the project, at a cost of $65 million, includes refurbished suites, a new club-seat section with lounge, reconfigured wheelchair seating and remodeling of washrooms and concessions.

Construction of a retractable roof will follow after the 2010 Winter Olympics, bringing the total cost to $365 million. Crown-controlled B.C. Pavilion Corp. owns and operates B.C. Place.

"I like the [suite] design, it's a lot more modern, which is hard to do with B.C. Place," said Paul, a regular guest in the BMO suite. "The seats are really comfortable, there's couches now. It's great -- nice changes."

Season-ticker holder John McFarlane of Aldergrove was enjoying a beer in the classy new club-section lounge with a corner view of the field.

"This is really comfortable, a much better experience," he said.

The impact of the first phase was certainly felt more by fans in the more privileged sections of the stadium, though a couple of guys from the lower bowl were spotted taking photographs of the new washrooms. Whether that was related to the calming new blue and green Olympic design was unclear.

Not all of the washrooms or concessions were finished and many of the luxury boxes are still under construction. Phase One is scheduled for completion sometime in the fall, said Lions' business vice president George Chayka.

Also included in Phase One is an expanded restaurant behind one of the end zones where fans can dine and view the game.

"I think they've done a tremendous job getting ready for our first preseason game," Chayka said. "I expect we'll have the odd minor inconvenience but the fans are going to be really excited with the changes."

Ken Wind of Vancouver was one Lions fan loving the new wheelchair sections. Previously, wheelchair access was limited to the corner where the club lounge now resides.

This season, there are wheelchair locations around the stadium in both the lower and upper bowls.

"My father and I will be able to sit side by side now," Wind said, noting that before the attendants had to sit behind. "And there's room for family and friends to sit around you. The only downside is we had our own concession stand before and now we have to wait in line, but it's worth it, absolutely."

One of the few complaints on the night came from confused club-section ticket holders trying to order food in the lounge. Club-section fans had to order from their seats, but could bring food into the lounge area.

"I like sitting in a restaurant where people actually serve me," said season-ticket holder Ellen Whitehouse.

mweber@theprovince.com

OK, which one of you guys where taking pictures of guys peeing at BC Place Last night!