PDA

View Full Version : BC Place: Stadium Refurbishment | Completed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

hollywoodnorth
Jan 7, 2010, 6:44 AM
As for Cowboys Stadium, it's always cheaper (relatively speaking) and easier to build new than modifying the old.

let alone build it in TEXAS.........environmental assessments? nah don't need em. design panels and community involvement in the plan? nah don't need it.

Prometheus
Jan 7, 2010, 7:00 AM
let alone build it in TEXAS.........environmental assessments? nah don't need em. design panels and community involvement in the plan? nah don't need it.

That bureaucrats make it so difficult to create and build in Vancouver is something of which we should be ashamed, not proud.

Yume-sama
Jan 7, 2010, 7:04 AM
I don't believe the $1.3 billion in Texas includes the hundreds of millions the government spent acquiring land through eminent domain, forcing people out of their homes.

Not to mention, workers aren't nearly as expensive in somewhere like Texas as they are in Vancouver.

mr.x
Jan 7, 2010, 7:08 AM
Agreed, X2. The city of Miami is building an entire ballpark from the ground up for just a little more than this roof is going to cost. I also think that people are in for a rude awakening when they see just how small of an opening this roof will have. What they should have done is gone with a fixed roof on either side of the stadium with a middle portion that rolls away to expose a clear, cable free sky. And before people come out with the usual "that roof is too heavy for the existing structure to support" talk, remember you can make supports on the outside of the stadium which don't rely on the stadium itself for support at all. That is exactly how the new Miami roof will work. The truss-work from such a design would be far better off than that spider web of the new BC Place.

A steel roof would likely cost more than the existing $450-million plan...you pay for it.

Prometheus
Jan 7, 2010, 7:16 AM
A steel roof would likely cost more than the existing $450-million plan...

I think not, as the $1.3 billion price tag for what is essentially a modern World Wonder underscores. However, the current tangled cobweb is not the only conceivable design for a material retractable roof. A design for a material roof which is both functional and beautiful is more than possible under the current budget.

EastVanMark
Jan 7, 2010, 7:23 AM
A steel roof would likely cost more than the existing $450-million plan...you pay for it.

#1. I have yet to see anyone, anywhere, anyhow, come out with any definitive figures to back the notion of another design option costing more. From day day one this design seemed to be a forgone conclusion. The only thing anyone ever said was "this is cheaper than building an entirely new stadium"-duh..., and "the existing structure could not support the weight of any other type of roof"-which it doesn't have to as per examples I have provided.

#2. As for me paying for it, I might be just a BIT short. Wait, I got a few pop cans here...nope, still short

EastVanMark
Jan 7, 2010, 7:32 AM
I don't believe the $1.3 billion in Texas includes the hundreds of millions the government spent acquiring land through eminent domain, forcing people out of their homes.

The final figure for land acquisition was $80 million, not "hundreds of millions".

Yume-sama
Jan 7, 2010, 7:41 AM
The final figure for land acquisition was $80 million, not "hundreds of millions".

Either way, the government spent hundreds of millions on the stadium itself, in addition to infrastructure and land acquisitions.

They committed to covering 50% of the cost, which was initially estimated at $650 million total. Ooops.

mr.x
Jan 7, 2010, 7:51 AM
I think not, as the $1.3 billion price tag for what is essentially a modern World Wonder underscores. However, the current tangled cobweb is not the only conceivable design for a material retractable roof. A design for a material roof which is both functional and beautiful is more than possible under the current budget.

What's "beautiful" depends on the eye of the beholder. I love it, and see nothing wrong with the design.

Regardless, a steel fixed roof would likely cost much more than the existing plan. Period.

mr.x
Jan 7, 2010, 7:56 AM
#1. I have yet to see anyone, anywhere, anyhow, come out with any definitive figures to back the notion of another design option costing more. From day day one this design seemed to be a forgone conclusion. The only thing anyone ever said was "this is cheaper than building an entirely new stadium"-duh..., and "the existing structure could not support the weight of any other type of roof"-which it doesn't have to as per examples I have provided.

#2. As for me paying for it, I might be just a BIT short. Wait, I got a few pop cans here...nope, still short

They looked at retractable roof systems around the world before concluding the Frankfurt Commerzbank Arena's roof system was the best one for BC Place. They didn't exactly jump into it right away, many configurations were considered.

mooks28
Jan 7, 2010, 8:10 AM
Hands up those of us who are structural engineers?

Thought so.

Prometheus
Jan 7, 2010, 8:10 AM
What's "beautiful" depends on the eye of the beholder.

No, it really does not. You may like the proposed design (for some reason), but you cannot credibly claim that the tangled cobweb is a thing of beauty.

EastVanMark
Jan 7, 2010, 8:29 AM
They looked at retractable roof systems around the world before concluding the Frankfurt Commerzbank Arena's roof system was the best one for BC Place. They didn't exactly jump into it right away, many configurations were considered.

That's great and all, except they only provided the two reasons I mentioned previous as to why other design types were not chosen and on at least one of them they are dead wrong. As for costs of other options, none were ever given-and still haven't as of today. I have little confidence in an organization who's CEO claims that the roof's opening (he gave the measurements) will cover the entire football field. (even by his own figures it won't).

Overground
Jan 7, 2010, 8:30 AM
Those drawings on the white background make the cables stand out more. They'll probably look quite different when done. The many cables supporting the arch at Wembley are hardly noticeable...and I've seen them in person as well.

Another thing too about building a new stadium, the cost of demolition of the current one, and as officedweller pointed out before, the cost of clean-up of contaminated soil may be even costlier. How long would that take too? You could build one at a new site but as we know with the Waterfront fiasco, it ain't easy.

thenorthofvan
Jan 7, 2010, 8:32 AM
No, it really does not. You may like the proposed design (for some reason), but you cannot credibly claim that the tangled cobweb is a thing of beauty.

Well I like the way it will look. It's easily going to be the best looking stadium in Canada when it is finished. I find the look of the Lions Gate bridge to be elegant, and I liken that to the hopeful finished look of BC place

Vancity
Jan 7, 2010, 8:32 AM

Actually, I don't mind the "cob-web" design of the retractable roof. Look, we're never going to get a stadium (design wise, or fucntionality) like the Dallas Cowboys stadium, and neither do we need one. I like the design. It works for the city, and it's going to be a fine improvement on the one we currently have. There are upgrades already on the guest suites, and the suites at BC Place, and many more upgrades are going to be done over the next year.

100 meters (according to bcplace2011.com) by 85 meters is how wide the opening of the roof is going to be. The opening of the roof is not (unfortunately) going to be like the Frankfurt stadium in Germany (which retracts the entire roof). But the improvements are better than nothing. It won't be as bad as some people here on this forum think it will be. I think when all's said and done, we'll be pleasantly surprised at it.

If we want a Dallas like stadium in the future, then we'd better be willing to pay for it. It's just not going to happen.

thenorthofvan
Jan 7, 2010, 8:40 AM
Either way, the government spent hundreds of millions on the stadium itself, in addition to infrastructure and land acquisitions.

They committed to covering 50% of the cost, which was initially estimated at $650 million total. Ooops.

They ended up spending $325,000,000 out of a $1,300,000,000 final cost. That stadium would certainly not been built if it had not been for Jerry Jones.

mr.x
Jan 7, 2010, 8:48 AM

I like the "cobweb" thank you very much. And time will prove you wrong.

Sorry to say, and to mean no offence, but you are very narrowminded.

Prometheus
Jan 7, 2010, 9:15 AM
I find the look of the Lions Gate bridge to be elegant...

Indeed it is elegant. But to liken the Lions Gate Bridge to the Cobweb is a mistake and an insult. The Lions Gate Bridge possesses two parallel lines of suspending wires stretched over a spacious, airy distance. The wires of the Cobweb, by contrast, are multitudinous, non-parallel, and massed in a highly dense manner. One is a picture of grace and simplicity, the other clutter and confusion.

Smooth
Jan 7, 2010, 9:44 AM
I personally like the look of the new roof. To me it has a European look to it. The stadium should have a lot more natural light coming in with the new configuration because of the windows all around the perimeter, the single layer of fabric covering the seating, and of course the opening.

Others are correct in pointing out that the additional cost of demolishing the existing stadium would add quite a bit to the final price tag of a new stadium. I also believe that if there were plans to completely demolish the existing stadium then the temptation would be too great for the government to sell off the downtown land and build the new stadium elsewhere. If given the choice of a brand new stadium in the suburbs or a refurbished stadium downtown, I'd definitely go with the refurbished option.

hollywoodnorth
Jan 7, 2010, 10:42 AM

Not to mention, workers aren't nearly as expensive in somewhere like Texas as they are in Vancouver.

agreed :)

Prometheus
Jan 7, 2010, 12:13 PM
Others are correct in pointing out that the additional cost of demolishing the existing stadium would add quite a bit to the final price tag of a new stadium....If given the choice of a brand new stadium in the suburbs or a refurbished stadium downtown, I'd definitely go with the refurbished option.

So would we all. But the recent debate has not been about replacing the roof versus building a brand new stadium, but between replacing the roof with the current design, which it has been argued is cluttered and messy, versus replacing the roof with a design that is both functional and beautiful. Thus, the additional costs and potential consequences of demolishing the stadium are not relevant issues here.

nova9
Jan 7, 2010, 2:57 PM
What do YOU constitute as elegant and functional? I keep hearing these 2 words from you but I think a picture of another stadium somewhere else in the world might be needed to illustrate your point.

Can you find one? And perhaps one that sits within an urban concept rather than Dallas Stadium that is far away from everything else.

jlousa
Jan 7, 2010, 3:22 PM
As much as I'm glad we are getting a refurbished stadium I have to agree with Prometheus that pretty it ain't. Mind you I would've been content with just replacing the existing roof and having spent more money on the interior and exterior. At least a good portion of the stadium will be surrounded by buildings and it won't be so visible.

Zassk
Jan 7, 2010, 4:21 PM
The "cobweb" is drawn with thicker-than-real-life lines on all of the diagrams, since they are, after all, architectural diagrams. I am confident that the wires will be much less obvious in the real stadium.

At any rate, in a city that is plagued with horrendously ugly trolley wires along virtually all of its major streets, and nobody willing to say the first criticism about those, I'm surprised that this is such a big issue for a mere stadium.

DKaz
Jan 7, 2010, 5:53 PM
Everything's bigger in Texas. Rebuilding BC Place would mean relocating it out to the suburbs like Langley or something, man transit out there would be a pain. Arlington Texas where the Cowboys Stadium is does not have a fixed route transit system (they recently voted against one), I'm surprised they only needed 8km^2 unless that doesn't include the 40,000-55,000 cars that need to park around the stadium (assuming 2 people per vehicle, OUCH!)

Although I would've prefered a rigid roof like the one at Safeco Field, I don't think this is a bad roof at all. The opening only looks small compared to the rest of the building but remember, BC Place is huge. The supports for the new roof adds a touch of architecture to the otherwise boring marshmallow roof we have now and I think it'll look great, while somewhat retaining what's been an iconic symbol of Vancouver and BC for the past 25+ years.

s211
Jan 7, 2010, 5:54 PM
Indeed it is elegant. But to liken the Lions Gate Bridge to the Cobweb is a mistake and an insult. The Lions Gate Bridge possesses two parallel lines of suspending wires stretched over a spacious, airy distance. The wires of the Cobweb, by contrast, are multitudinous, non-parallel, and massed in a highly dense manner. One is a picture of grace and simplicity, the other clutter and confusion.

Maybe "cat's cradle" is a more apt term.

DKaz
Jan 7, 2010, 6:02 PM
Reading more on the Cowboys Stadium...

The best seats in the house are about $15,000 each! The nosebleed seats start at $160 and standing room area is $29.

And Arlington had to harsh increase their taxes to build the stadium which was approved by residents, but when they wanted to increase the tax a bit more for a fixed route bus system, the residents overwhelmingly voted no.

Hint to Vancouver: Don't do what the Texans do.

metroXpress
Jan 7, 2010, 6:02 PM
Those are some great renderings, thanks for posting them.

mooks28
Jan 7, 2010, 6:37 PM
The "cobweb" is going to be a marked improvement over the current marshmallow. There is no appetite in this city for spending large amounts of public funds on a roof that while perhaps more elegant, may not work.

Look at Montreal's Olympic Stadium for an example of that. Beautiful architecture, but a complete failure in terms of the roof. I'll go with what we know will work rather than something that looks nice but doesn't work any day.

mr.x
Jan 7, 2010, 6:52 PM
The wires won't be as noticeable from afar...it'll look something like this:
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/wembley-stadium1.jpg
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/wembley-stadium1.jpg

Yume-sama
Jan 7, 2010, 6:59 PM
Well, it'll probably look more like this.

http://66.90.101.237/bcplace2011.jpg

officedweller
Jan 7, 2010, 7:23 PM
Yeah, ... in terms of cost,

Remember the design of the rim and superstructure of BC Place were meant to contain outward (upward) forces (air pressure) from the inflated dome. The new roof will create inward (downward) forces that are completely different from those that the structure was designed to handle.

I'm not sure how this would affect BC Place, but from what I understand, concrete works best when it is "in compression". Concrete does not work well when it is forced to expand. Changing the forces that will be placed on the rim of BC Place would probably require a lot of remedial structural engineering (i.e. high fees) to ensure that the stadium does not collapse in on itself due to the weight of the roof.

WRT an external structure for a truss roof, my guess would be that it would have interfered with plans to redevelop the surrounding lands and jeopardized some of the funding for the project. But also remember that Expo Boulevard hugs the northwest edge of the stadium ("underground") and if a truss design would have required multiple supports along that side of the stadium, then that alone (i.e. permanent closure/rerouting(?) of Expo Blvd) may have prevented that solution from being seriously considered.

proudcanuck
Jan 7, 2010, 8:23 PM
Well, it'll probably look more like this.

http://66.90.101.237/bcplace2011.jpg

When I saw this pic on the BC Place 2011 website yesterday, I had to laugh.

Could they have not found a more up to date photo to use? It is probably only 15 years old !!!

Vancity
Jan 7, 2010, 8:30 PM
:previous: They seem to always use outdated pictures. I don't know why.

DKaz
Jan 7, 2010, 9:08 PM
I remember that tiny little Canadian Tire on the lower right!

Smooth
Jan 7, 2010, 9:19 PM
When I saw this pic on the BC Place 2011 website yesterday, I had to laugh.

Could they have not found a more up to date photo to use? It is probably only 15 years old !!!

I think they probably used that picture because it predates the Coopers Pointe development which now obstructs the view of BC Place from that angle.

mooks28
Jan 7, 2010, 11:13 PM
And that car dealer where the Save on Foods now sits :)

EastVanMark
Jan 8, 2010, 7:13 AM
The city of Miami has just announced plans for a fixed glass and metal roof to be built for their football stadium. (the roof is not retractable). Its estimated cost is $250 million which includes other renos such as redoing the entire lower deck of seating aswell as moving the replay boards. Please note that the roof will be independently supported by pillars outside of the current stadium.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2010/01/07/new-roof-highlights-proposed-renovations-for-dolphin-stadium/

Yume-sama
Jan 8, 2010, 7:15 AM
And like Cowboy Stadium it will probably end up costing twice the estimate.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/files/2010/01/ds4-500x318.jpg

Eww, look at the cobwebs!! Hopefully they remembered to give the flat roof proper drainage.

I guess this answers the question of "can't hundreds of millions buy a nicer looking design?" Apparently we got it.

hollywoodnorth
Jan 8, 2010, 9:10 AM
that Miami stadium roof looks like it will TAKE FLIGHT in a Hurricane ;)......wing like.....real smart design ;)

jlousa
Jan 15, 2010, 5:13 AM
Might be misreading this but my interpretation is that Raymond Louie and our mayor do not want to see Empire Stadium stick around.

6. Empire Field

MOVER: Councillor Raymond Louie
SECONDER: Mayor Gregor Robertson

WHEREAS BC Place Stadium is to be renovated in time for the Grey Cup game in late 2011;

AND WHEREAS the professional sports teams currently accommodated at BC Place Stadium represent a significant economic benefit to the City of Vancouver, and will urgently require an alternative venue to be ready by June 2010;

AND WHEREAS PAVCO has only recently come forward with a development proposal, after obtaining funding approval from the Province;

AND WHEREAS the PNE Board has instructed their staff to negotiate the
accommodation of a temporary stadium facility at 3311 East Hastings Street (Empire Field) and located where the previous Empire Stadium existed on the basis that:

• PAVCO be responsible for all costs related to a temporary stadium, lights,
Washrooms, and associated fixtures, and
• Community access to the playing fields in this location, be replaced or
enhanced during the term of the negotiated agreement, and
• The site be returned for community playfield ue with a capacity equal to or greater than today unless retention of the artificial turf is successfully negotiated, and
• The PNE being able to accommodate other commercial utilization of the
facilities during the term of the negotiated agreement.

Source:
http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/20100119/documents/motionb6.pdf

paradigm4
Jan 15, 2010, 6:31 AM
What would it be used for? Wouldn't the City have to pay the maintenance costs?

jlousa
Jan 15, 2010, 6:54 AM
There wouldn't be a large market for it, but the same could've been said about keeping the Pacific coliseum after we built GM Place. The market might find a use for it. I'm not even arguing for keeping it, just pointing out the motion before council.

touraccuracy
Jan 15, 2010, 8:37 AM
that Miami stadium roof looks like it will TAKE FLIGHT in a Hurricane ;)......wing like.....real smart design ;)

it's actually designed to carry the whole stadium with it to safer locales inland.

mrjauk
Jan 15, 2010, 8:54 AM
There wouldn't be a large market for it, but the same could've been said about keeping the Pacific coliseum after we built GM Place. The market might find a use for it. I'm not even arguing for keeping it, just pointing out the motion before council.

Not analogous. The Pacific Coliseum is a permanent facility.

PaperTiger
Jan 16, 2010, 12:24 AM
I think they are only talking about the field turf its self not the whole stadium, ie "you have to put it back the way is was unless you can make the $1,000,000 field turf permanent for everyone to use." They can't make temporary bleachers that will last in the long term.

When centennial stadium was expanded for the Victoria commonwealth games the contractor offered to leave the bleachers for the university but were turned down because UVIC determined that maintenance would be a nightmare.

Overground
Jan 16, 2010, 11:42 PM
Regarding the turf. They have to install a sub-surface(aggregate/soil and drainage tile) at Empire Field for the FieldTurf, which will cost a bit of money. So they might leave this plastic carpet there until it isn't useable any more, but with maintenance costs and the age of the turf it may not be worth it.

The turf has already been well used from Montreal to BC Place since(Mtl 2003 - BC 2005 - ?) It's lifespan isn't that much longer, which I think is 10 years. Reduced even more if there's year-round use of it.

SpongeG
Jan 17, 2010, 12:42 AM
has anyone seen the new pedestrian overpass there? looks to link the casino side and the stadium

is it for the general public? or just for the event people like the performers?

its looks temporary but been up a few weeks

hollywoodnorth
Jan 17, 2010, 3:22 AM
has anyone seen the new pedestrian overpass there? looks to link the casino side and the stadium

is it for the general public? or just for the event people like the performers?

its looks temporary but been up a few weeks

ya seems pretty retarded as the street there will be closed off for the month of Feb. but hell what do I know ;) and there is already 2 overpasses there.

mr.x
Jan 18, 2010, 6:19 PM
probably no biggie, but nevertheless interesting:

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2010/01/18/12512016.html

24 hours has learned that a large quantity of water cascaded through drainage holes on B.C. Place Stadium’s roof and crashed to the floor around 8 p.m. Thursday night.

A panel of the air-supported fabric roof inverted when water accumulated during a rainstorm.

The roof is under stress from the weight of light and speaker trusses hung for the 2010 Winter Olympics’ Feb. 12 opening ceremony.

“It appeared like a waterfall,” said a source who declined to be named.

VANOC, stadium management and roof maintenance contractor Riggit Services met Friday.

A third person was added to Riggit’s crew, which is on-call around the clock at the Olympic ceremonies stadium.

VANOC and stadium

officials did not respond to interview requests on Sunday.

“I can’t comment on that,” said Riggit president Rick Smith. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve got contracts, I can’t speak to any reporters.”

A tent and blue hoses were visible on the roof Sunday.

deasine
Jan 18, 2010, 6:30 PM
Ooo that would be a sight during the Opening Ceremony wouldn't it? =)

mr.x
Jan 18, 2010, 6:36 PM
Ooo that would be a sight during the Opening Ceremony wouldn't it? =)

"IT'S PART OF THE OPENING CEREMONY!!! WE USED REAL WATER JUST LIKE IN ATHENS!"
- David Atkins, February 13

hollywoodnorth
Jan 18, 2010, 6:40 PM
probably no biggie, but nevertheless interesting:

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2010/01/18/12512016.html

crazy! i see a 3 man crew on the roof right now scoping things out.

lets cross our fingers :)

mr.x
Jan 18, 2010, 6:45 PM
Hopefully the weather cooperates...less rain for everyone, and colder temps for Cypress...the long-term forecast is freakishly warm.

WarrenC12
Jan 18, 2010, 6:47 PM
So I guess we are praying for clear weather during the Olympics? Snowfall and increased pressure on the roof from speakers = uh-oh!

Imagine water pouring from the roof putting out the Olympic flame. :(

Any PR is good PR. :cheers:

trofirhen
Jan 18, 2010, 6:51 PM
Hopefully the weather cooperates...less rain for everyone, and colder temps for Cypress...the long-term forecast is freakishly warm.

El Nino raises its monstrous head again. Too bad the winter isn't exceptionally cold, the way they say it was last year.
Alors, c'est la vie ........

SpongeG
Jan 18, 2010, 9:45 PM
there is a little red tent thing on the top of the stadium and my friend said he can see them installing things around the edge - he guesses they could be for flags?

danstvns9
Jan 19, 2010, 5:19 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2612/4286245498_f2af0a7c7a_o.jpg

SpongeG
Jan 19, 2010, 5:21 AM
yes thats it weird

Waders
Jan 19, 2010, 5:39 AM
there is a little red tent thing on the top of the stadium and my friend said he can see them installing things around the edge - he guesses they could be for flags?

Edit: Oh. Never mind. Mr. X beat me posting the following news from 24 Hours.

Hm. According to today's 24 Hours Vancouver, the roof has more water problem. I really hope the roof can last till the Winter Games Opening Ceremory is over.
Source: BOB MACKIN from 24 Hours Vancouver http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/PDF/2007/10/10/20100118.pdf

BOB MACKIN - Cypress Mountain isn’t the only Olympic venue where rain wreaked havoc with VANOC last week. 24 hours has learned that a large quantity of water cascaded through drainage holes on B.C. Place Stadium’s roof and crashed to the floor around 8 p.m. Thursday night.
A panel of the air-supported fabric roof inverted when water accumulated
during a rainstorm. The roof is under stress from the weight of light and
speaker trusses hung for the 2010 Winter Olympics’ Feb. 12 opening ceremony. “It appeared like a waterfall,” said a source who declined
to be named. VANOC, stadium management and roof maintenance contractor Riggit Services met Friday. A third person was added to Riggit’s crew, which is oncall around the clock at the Olympic ceremonies stadium. VANOC and stadium officials did not respond to interview requests on Sunday. “I can’t comment on that,” said Riggit president Rick Smith. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve got contracts, I can’t speak to any reporters.” An orange tent and blue hoses were visible on the roof Sunday. Last Wednesday, VANOC closed snowboarding and freestyle skiing venue Cypress because rain and high temperatures wiped snow off the slopes.

mr.x
Jan 19, 2010, 5:58 AM
^ if the rain holds off a little, as it has been pouring abnormally lately, there shouldn't be any problems....I think snow would be a much bigger problem.

SpongeG
Jan 19, 2010, 6:05 AM
and thats the irony if we get snow the city and the games would be worse off probably but than its the winter games and they need snow

Waders
Jan 19, 2010, 6:17 AM
and thats the irony if we get snow the city and the games would be worse off probably but than its the winter games and they need snow

With 24 more days to go before the start of the game, snowing in February may not be unthinkable.
I was reading the news article titled "Will snow be an Olympic no-show in Vancouver?" from The Seattle Times http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/olympics/2010822477_snow17m.html

Doyle can provide a certain amount of short-term reassurance to nervous types. It's going to be cooler this week, with snow at higher elevations, he said. Beyond that: who knows?

In Seattle, weather guru Cliff Mass — the University of Washington atmospheric-science professor with his own weather blog — extends his sympathies.

He says there are plenty of tools and expertise to make a fairly accurate forecast six hours, 12 hours, even 36 hours in advance. Not so good beyond that.

"At five to six days, we have some modest skills that start to slide downhill quite substantially," says Mass. "By the time you get to seven or eight days, the forecast has declined to such a point you might as well forecast average conditions."

If you think your life is messy, consider the sky above.

Meteorologists can plug in data from a particular time and place into the computer models, and try to simulate the future.

The problem, says Mass: "The atmosphere is a chaotic system in which every small difference in the initial state grows in time to such a large amount that we lose any forecast skills."

Too little, too much

For those who follow Winter Olympics, a story about potential weather problems is familiar news.

Sometimes there's too much weather, sometimes too little.

Various events at the 1998 Olympics in Nagano, Japan, kept getting postponed because of snowstorms, heavy rain, sleet and even lightning.

In 2006, at the Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy, the International Ski Federation complained there was insufficient snow cover in the upper part of the course. The organizers countered that there was plenty of artificial snow, and the Games went on.

In the end, the various events do seem to take place. Sponsors have to be satisfied

mr.x
Jan 19, 2010, 6:33 AM
^ and in Calgary, the chinook winds caused abnormally warm temperatures... quite a bit of snow melted during a relatively short period of time during the Games.

mr.x
Jan 20, 2010, 4:44 AM
I've heard very good things about what David Atkins has done to BC Place, "you will be stunned with what they turned the dome into". My hopes are quite high for the ceremonies, however, the actual ceremonies content is another thing.

So glad I bought tickets to the opening, even though they're nosebleeds.

SpongeG
Jan 20, 2010, 7:56 AM
you can watch em again n tv and see them better

Yume-sama
Jan 20, 2010, 7:58 AM
I've heard very good things about what David Atkins has done to BC Place, "you will be stunned with what they turned the dome into". My hopes are quite high for the ceremonies, however, the actual ceremonies content is another thing.

So glad I bought tickets to the opening, even though they're nosebleeds.

I'm with you. If the content is anything above almost mediocre, I'll be shocked. Visually it may be impressive, I suppose.

I can't wait! :cool:

Hed Kandi
Jan 20, 2010, 7:15 PM
Stadium roof to set world record
New retractable structure
Glenda Luymes

Province

Wednesday, January, 20, 2010

The giant marshmallow known as B.C. Place will soon have a new claim to fame.

Half a billion dollars and 17,000 tonnes of steel later, the Vancouver landmark will boast the world's largest cable-supported retractable roof.

"[B. C. Place] has served us very, very well . . . and it can serve us very, very well in the years to come," B.C. Pavilion Corp. (PavCo) chair David Podmore told a Vancouver Board of Trade luncheon yesterday.

The $565-million project -- $458 million for the roof alone -- will be financed through a 40-year loan from the provincial government. PavCo is nearing completion on an agreement to lease out about 700,000 square feet of land around B.C. Place for development.

Along with revenue from new events, sponsorship and naming rights, Podmore said he is "absolutely satisfied" the loan will be repaid.

Since its official opening in 1983 by Queen Elizabeth, B.C. Place has hosted a number of famous people beneath the dome, including Pope John Paul II, Bill Clinton and David Beckham.

The iconic roof, now slightly yellowed, will finally be deflated in May, a few weeks after the annual Vancouver International Auto Show, said Podmore.

Over the following 18 months, B.C. Place will become a construction site as the Teflon-topped stadium is transformed by 35 kilometres of cable and 76,000 square metres of fabric. It will take 90 semi-trucks to transport the 1,100-tonne crane that will be used to raise the 36 masts to support the new retractable roof.

B.C. Place will open again in July 2011 with final completion slated in time for the Grey Cup in November 2011.

During construction, the B.C. Lions and Vancouver Whitecaps will play in a temporary facility at Empire Fields, to be built in March at a cost of $14 million.

Podmore said he was "very excited" about the new roof, which will be built using "reliable, tested" technology, but on a larger scale than anywhere else in the world.

The centre portion of the white fabric roof will retreat into a central cone for storage, providing a 100-by-80 metre view of blue sky. The roof will take about 20 minutes to open, something that will be done before events at the discretion of planners.

B.C. Place staff also confirmed that problems with pooling water on the roof of the stadium late last week have been solved.

No damage was caused when rainwater began to run through one of the vents in the roof as workers set up for the Olympic Games opening ceremonies. Workers were able to adjust some of the weight to prevent the problem from recurring.

B.C. PLACE BY THE NUMBERS

- 27 million visitors since 1983;

- 200-210 events a year;

- 16 fans used to raise the roof the first time;

- One hour to inflate the roof the first time;

- 1983 opened by Queen Elizabeth;

- 60,000 seats;

- 1,100-tonne crane to be used to construct new roof;

- 17,000 tonnes of steel in new roof;

- 35 km of cable;

- 76,000 square metres of fabric;

- 40-50 years expected life of new roof.

© Copyright (c) The Province

mr.x
Jan 20, 2010, 7:28 PM
^ I'd like to know what their snowfall plan is, say we got dumped with a foot of snow...will there be heaters?

officedweller
Jan 20, 2010, 8:41 PM
From the Sun:

BC Place close to deal on new roof financing

By Derrick Penner, Vancouver Sun
January 19, 2010

VANCOUVER — A deal to sell off development rights to land on the west side of BC Place Stadium, which will help pay for the building’s $458-million new roof, “is imminent,” BC Pavilion Corp. chairman David Podmore said Tuesday.

The deal, which will take up 700,000 square feet of the 1.4 million square feet of development space the pavilion corporation (PavCo) has available to it, would be on a 75-year lease and will likely see both residential and commercial development on the site.

PavCo, the Crown corporation that operates BC Place and the Vancouver Convention and Exhibition Centre, is in the midst of a $565-million total refurbishment of the 26-year-old stadium, which includes the new retractable roof and $55 million in interior improvements ahead of the opening ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

That cost does not include the $14 million PavCo will spend on a temporary stadium to be located on the site of the old Empire Stadium the PNE grounds.

The provincial government will finance the $458-million roof project with a 40-year loan, and Podmore said the sale of development rights around the stadium is key to PavCo’s business case for the project, which is designed to extend BC Place’s life up to another 50 years.

“The business case [for the roof replacement] relies on selling those development rights, selling naming rights for the building, sponsorship, advertising and increased activity in the building,” Podmore told the crowd.

Podmore said he couldn’t divulge any further details, but said he is “absolutely satisfied we will repay that loan.”

The new retractable roof, which Podmore said should make the building more comfortable to use during the summer, is expected to add about 40 additional days of events per year in BC Place, which is already used for 200 to 210 days per year.

Construction is expected to start immediately after the Olympics and Paralympics and be complete by July 2011, for the Vancouver Whitecaps’ inaugural Major League Soccer season.

BC Place was originally completed in 1983 at a cost of $126 million and, up until Podmore took over as chairman of PavCo in 2007, the stadium was on a path toward demolition.

However, Podmore, who Premier Gordon Campbell brought in to take control of the famously over-budget Vancouver Convention Centre expansion, said he was able to make a business case to refurbish BC Place instead.

Podmore said BC Place is home now to events that could not be relocated to the Vancouver Convention Centre, and argued that a replacement stadium of a similar size could run in the $1-billion range.

As for the sprucing up of BC Place for the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics, Podmore did confirm that the building suffered a few minor leaks during last week’s heavy rains, which have since been rectified, but stayed mostly mum on other preparations for the Games.

He refused to talk about how organizers planned to cover the dirty ceiling liner of the stadium’s roof, which is a dingy grey from the vehicle exhaust after years’ worth of monster truck events.

Podmore also did not want to talk about how Olympics organizers will accommodate the Olympic flame’s cauldron.

“I cannot comment about the opening ceremonies,” Podmore told reporters after his presentation, joking that, “I’d have to shoot myself if I told you anything."

depenner@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

jlousa
Jan 29, 2010, 5:05 AM
Lots of info on Empire Stadium here, figured this would be the best place to post it.

Rendering plans
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/developmentservices/devapps/3311ehastings/renderings.pdf

Layout Plans
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/developmentservices/devapps/3311ehastings/layout.pdf

Stadium Layout Plan
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/developmentservices/devapps/3311ehastings/stadiumlayout.pdf

Elevation Plan
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/developmentservices/devapps/3311ehastings/excavationplan.pdf

Questions and Answers
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/developmentservices/devapps/3311ehastings/qandanswers.pdf

dtrain
Feb 1, 2010, 11:51 PM
Does anyone know if they're planning any major signage/building wraps on the dome for the Olympics? It still looks pretty bland, less than 2 weeks away.

Yume-sama
Feb 2, 2010, 12:18 AM
I would think not. Any extra weight and the whole thing could come tumbling down! :P

Besides, it's the marshmallows final big event :(

hollywoodnorth
Feb 2, 2010, 12:26 AM
Does anyone know if they're planning any major signage/building wraps on the dome for the Olympics? It still looks pretty bland, less than 2 weeks away.

from my home office...where I sit right now ;) I see smaller window wraps such as the RINGS and some SLOGANS on the NE side.

I expect more of the same and projections onto the dome roof, etc nothing too major.

White Pine
Feb 2, 2010, 3:23 AM
I really hope they don't give away the naming rights...

Spork
Feb 2, 2010, 4:51 AM
Might they still put flags on top, which was mentioned to be possible a few pages back?

Yume-sama
Feb 2, 2010, 7:45 AM
Not "really" BC Place related, but the news is saying Lions ticket sales are up over 50% for this season. Maybe people like the idea of being outside :P?

WarrenC12
Feb 2, 2010, 3:09 PM
Not "really" BC Place related, but the news is saying Lions ticket sales are up over 50% for this season. Maybe people like the idea of being outside :P?

That's a little strange, since the Lions get approx 25,000 season ticket sales, and there are only 27,500 seats available now. Maybe they are just selling faster than normal.

PaperTiger
Feb 2, 2010, 9:19 PM
Actually, it is the number of "new” seasons ticket holders that is up 50% and overall sales are on track with last year. That means less people than normal are renewing but more newcomers are signing up. It makes sense if you consider the change in venue. Some people (like my father-in-law, the pansy) are scared of sitting out in the cold so aren't renewing, while others (like me, a real man) think football is best played and watched outdoors, so are filling the spaces.

hollywoodnorth
Feb 2, 2010, 9:36 PM
Actually, it is the number of "new” seasons ticket holders that is up 50% and overall sales are on track with last year. That means less people than normal are renewing but more newcomers are signing up. It makes sense if you consider the change in venue. Some people (like my father-in-law, the pansy) are scared of sitting out in the cold so aren't renewing, while others (like me, a real man) think football is best played and watched outdoors, so are filling the spaces.

LOL! well put!

I will be checking out a few games this year and drinking beers with my fellow men outdoors :) :cheers:

Yume-sama
Feb 2, 2010, 9:37 PM
That's a very misleading stat to gloat about on the news, then lol.

"New ticket sales are up 50%!!"

"But, umm, old ticket sales are down 50%!" :P?

WarrenC12
Feb 2, 2010, 10:08 PM

I'm a former and renewing season ticket holder. We were hoping to move closer and get better seats, but weren't able to. Given this news, I'm a little surprised, but oh well, we have decent seats as it is.

djmk
Feb 2, 2010, 10:44 PM
Some people (like my father-in-law, the pansy) are scared of sitting out in the cold so aren't renewing, while others (like me, a real man) think football is best played and watched outdoors, so are filling the spaces.

that was funny

jlousa
Feb 3, 2010, 2:32 AM
Here's a look at BC Place's new logo (not sure if it was already public), it also shows their new marketing direction. Looks okay but I have a feeling it won't age well.

http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/downloadFile?sessionID=21877805&charID=15967991&disID=15967731&blobID=3081125&filetype=Blob

johnjimbc
Feb 3, 2010, 2:36 AM
Thanks, jlousa.

It looks good to me, but then again I don't expect much from logos for venues like BC Place. It's straightforward, not sickeningly cheesy, and I like the font and colours so it works for me ;).

mr.x
Feb 3, 2010, 2:39 AM
The logo is only a slight edit of the old one, no biggie...but there's definitely a new and expanded brand....gotta laugh at some of those quotes/slogans.

nova9
Feb 3, 2010, 5:41 AM
The logo is only a slight edit of the old one, no biggie...but there's definitely a new and expanded brand....gotta laugh at some of those quotes/slogans.

I like "The more things change, the more they stay awesome" If only the old stadium actually was awesome.

I kinda like like the one referring to the 'beautiful game'

Overground
Feb 3, 2010, 6:28 PM
That link seems to have expired.

It's pretty standard as far as logos go but I would love to see a fresh new logo. Perhaps there will be a corporate sponsor in the future and the design will change. I had some time this morning to gather some stadium logos from around the world. They're mixed but, Germany, UK, Oz, Holland, South Africa.

http://i48.tinypic.com/xqb0py.jpg

Spoolmak
Feb 3, 2010, 10:51 PM
How come BC Place is the only stadium left with its original name?

Yume-sama
Feb 3, 2010, 10:53 PM
How come BC Place is the only stadium left with its original name?

Because BC Place isn't named after a corporate entity, like GM Place.

The Olympics are anti-Corporation. Well, if they aren't paying them tens of millions.

WarrenC12
Feb 3, 2010, 11:20 PM
Because BC Place isn't named after a corporate entity, like GM Place.

The Olympics are anti-Corporation. Well, if they aren't paying them tens of millions.

Funny that they are naming it "Canada Hockey Place" instead of asking for another $50k from Coke or somebody to get the naming rights. Not to mention GM is a huge sponsor of the games already.

I just noticed they have the capacity at 19,300 for GM Place, when a sold out Canucks game is somewhere around 18,600. I wonder where the extra 700 comes from.

mr.x
Feb 3, 2010, 11:31 PM
Funny that they are naming it "Canada Hockey Place" instead of asking for another $50k from Coke or somebody to get the naming rights. Not to mention GM is a huge sponsor of the games already.

I just noticed they have the capacity at 19,300 for GM Place, when a sold out Canucks game is somewhere around 18,600. I wonder where the extra 700 comes from.

The Canucks spent millions to add another level of luxury seats at GM Place...700 seats to be exact.

Zassk
Feb 3, 2010, 11:45 PM
I wonder where the extra 700 comes from.

Sitting on my lap at the SWE-BLR game? :runaway:

I suspect they've turned the Center Ice Grill into additional revenue seats, and probably a few other areas around the top of the arena that are inefficiently used by Canucks games.

Yume-sama
Feb 3, 2010, 11:52 PM
The Canucks spent millions to add another level of luxury seats at GM Place...700 seats to be exact.

Yes, the Best Buy Club. It's a nightclub in the rafters, pretty much. Membership starts at $15k or so? I don't remember the exact cost, but it's astronomical.

I'm quite positive they did not sell those tickets for the Olympics, and some VIP's will be up there.

KPELLY
Feb 4, 2010, 12:43 AM
The capacity of GM place is actually up this year from 18630 last year to 18810 this year. So its really only 500 or so more seats, but the best buy club is already open, so i don't believe that it is part of the new 500, because it only holds 179 viewing seats according to the canucks website. 18810-18630=180 so that is most likely the best buy club right there.

GeeCee
Feb 4, 2010, 3:05 AM

The IOC actually has a rule that states that sports venues cannot have a corporate name, even if they are an official sponsor.

deasine
Feb 4, 2010, 8:29 PM
New Video: Building the World's First
http://www.bcplace2011.com/#news,28

Vancity
Feb 4, 2010, 8:37 PM
The capacity of GM place is actually up this year from 18630 last year to 18810 this year. So its really only 500 or so more seats, but the best buy club is already open, so i don't believe that it is part of the new 500, because it only holds 179 viewing seats according to the canucks website. 18810-18630=180 so that is most likely the best buy club right there.

Soo..is it 19300, or 18810 capacity at GM Place? How are they going to fit 19,300 people in there, if the capacity really is only 18,810? I have never been to the Bell Centre in Montreal, but I would love to go visit that arena. 21,000 screaming fans cheering on for their hometown team? I wish GM Place could one day fit 21,000 fans. That'd be awesome.

Vancity
Feb 4, 2010, 8:37 PM
New Video: Building the World's First
http://www.bcplace2011.com/#news,28

Thanks for the video :)