PDA

View Full Version : BC Place: Stadium Refurbishment | Completed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

WarrenC12
Oct 21, 2010, 10:39 PM
The NFL has better talent (money will do that), but if you speak to anyone who is educated and honest about both leagues, the CFL rules create a more exciting game.

Besides, I'm more than happy to be able to afford and attain season tickets for a very reasonable cost. I love the Canucks too, but no way in hell I'll pay $100+ to see those games... the Giants are much more affordable for live hockey.

PaperTiger
Oct 21, 2010, 10:48 PM
:P The CFL is the AHL to the NFL. If you're actually good, you're probably in the NFL. Some of the best players in the CFL have tried out for the NFL... and failed.

But, that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it~

Nope, the CFL is to Canada as the AFL is to Australia. It is our own sport played by professional atheles, many of whom make a decent living at it.

And we DO enjoy it. :)

Vancity
Oct 21, 2010, 10:54 PM
The CFL plays a different version of football than the one played in the NFL. Although there have been many players who have left the CFL for the NFL (all for monetary reasons), there have also been more than a few NFL star players who have come north of the border (usually because of disciplinary issues), that have fallen flat on there face when they have played up here.

The NFL usually has bigger players in most positions, while the Canadian game uses smaller, faster players for theirs. (Although there are exemptions for both sides).

I think the CFL needs to begin aggressively branding their brand of football outside of Canada. Maybe not in the US, because they're dominated by American version of football. But what about in other parts of the world? Europe? etc. Certainly, I agree that most CFL players will ultimately want to play football in the NFL, because that is where the best competition lay. The best players in the world are there. Someone on this board wrote that most players who couldn't crack an NFL line up usually will head up north to play for the CFL. We need to be able to keep the best players coming up from the CIS football, and keep them here in the CFL. Pay our players more! Raise the cap too.

Sometimes the CFL feels like a second rated product. Although, I have to admit that it is an entertaining brand of football.

Fairbanks
Oct 21, 2010, 11:04 PM
As a matter of fact...American Pro Football players say that the Canadian Game is a tougher game. The Canadian field is quite a bit larger. American teams have 11 players on the field while Canadian teams play with 12 on the field. American football has 4 downs to advance the ball 10 yrds and Canadian football has only 3 down to advance 10 yrds. american teams have 25 seconds to run a play and Canadian teams have only 20 seconds.

I suggest that b4 you put down Canadian football you should ask an American player which game is more difficult or better yet do your research.

Fairbanks

Fairbanks
Oct 21, 2010, 11:05 PM
Further...
Football was introduced to North America here in Canada by the Brits.

BTW...Basketball is a Canadian creation as well.

vanlaw
Oct 21, 2010, 11:06 PM
How many masts are we at? I think I counted 19 when rolling by on skytrain today, but its getting a little difficult to count.

touraccuracy
Oct 21, 2010, 11:56 PM
Having said all that, I still think they should turf some capacity a BC place and bring in wider, comfier chairs. I think about 52,000 woul dbe perfect.
agreed, those seats are awful (the ones at tempire felt more comfy) and we really don't need 60k+ seats.

You know. I'm curious. I wonder if BC Place has any long term plans for that stadium? Like, are they going to try to find a major tenant for the place? I can't see the CFL and MLS making a profit in such a major stadium.
eh it's a pretty busy stadium. the old bc place at least would be booked solid month after month. i remember we had this debate on here years ago and i looked up the bc place daily schedule, it was booked everyday for the following three months. plus, the lions are a big draw, bigger than the canucks, at 20-30k per game. with the whitecaps in there too now i don't think we need to worry about the place being underutilized.

Vancity
Oct 22, 2010, 12:49 AM
As a matter of fact...American Pro Football players say that the Canadian Game is a tougher game. The Canadian field is quite a bit larger. American teams have 11 players on the field while Canadian teams play with 12 on the field. American football has 4 downs to advance the ball 10 yrds and Canadian football has only 3 down to advance 10 yrds. american teams have 25 seconds to run a play and Canadian teams have only 20 seconds.

I suggest that b4 you put down Canadian football you should ask an American player which game is more difficult or better yet do your research.

Fairbanks

I did not say that the CFL is less difficult because it isn't major sports league. I respect the CFL game, I just don't think that it's brand is recognized internationally. Not like the NFL, or NBA, or even the NHL. It's widely recognized across Canada, and that's fair enough, but I'd like for the CFL to begin thinking more globally, rather than just thinking about Canada. Internationally brand the CFL game. Who knows? Maybe you'll get Europeans loving the game, and Asians too.

SpikePhanta
Oct 22, 2010, 1:59 AM
I did not say that the CFL is less difficult because it isn't major sports league. I respect the CFL game, I just don't think that it's brand is recognized internationally. Not like the NFL, or NBA, or even the NHL. It's widely recognized across Canada, and that's fair enough, but I'd like for the CFL to begin thinking more globally, rather than just thinking about Canada. Internationally brand the CFL game. Who knows? Maybe you'll get Europeans loving the game, and Asians too.

American style football isn't that popular outside of North America, so why bother. Even the NFL has trouble overseas.

Heck the NHL and NBA are more popular overseas.

navazan
Oct 22, 2010, 2:02 AM

Fairbanks

Further...
Football was introduced to North America here in Canada by the Brits.

BTW...Basketball is a Canadian creation as well.

:banana: subtle anti americanism! yeah well...america invented cars...and planes...and touques. wait no not touques...

Fairbanks
Oct 22, 2010, 2:14 AM
The, "automobile" was invented by Da Vinci an Italian. 1769 France built the first steam powered automobile.

Again, Leonardo imagined the airplane, the Wright Bros made it fly.

The next thing you will say is that America won World War II. If you ever wondered why the world ain't fond of Yanks this is one of the reasons...you always claim everything as "yours"...now back to BC Place Stadium...home of the largest cable stayed retractable roof on the planet.

p.s. West Edmonton Mall is bigger by far than Mall of America.

SpikePhanta
Oct 22, 2010, 2:15 AM
:banana: subtle anti americanism! yeah well...america invented cars...and planes...and touques. wait no not touques...

Isn't the car invented by a German?

Karl Benz.

Fairbanks
Oct 22, 2010, 2:19 AM
If we had to give credit to one inventor, it would probably be Karl Benz from Germany. Many suggest that he created the first true automobile in 1885/1886.

Still ...not an American.

Fairbanks
Oct 22, 2010, 2:22 AM
Vancouver's World's Fair on Transportation in 1986 marked the centenial of the invention of the automobile..Germany gets the credit. Not the Americans and also Russia put the first man in space.

We will give the Moon to the USA

navazan
Oct 22, 2010, 2:22 AM
The, "automobile" was invented by Da Vinci an Italian. 1769 France built the first steam powered automobile.

Again, Leonardo imagined the airplane, the Wright Bros made it fly.

The next thing you will say is that America won World War II. If you ever wondered why the world ain't fond of Yanks this is one of the reasons...you always claim everything as "yours"...now back to BC Place Stadium...home of the largest cable stayed retractable roof on the planet.

p.s. West Edmonton Mall is bigger by far than Mall of America.

and canada did nothing. typical anti american. i dont think jap won ww2, but hey, you know more than i do. loooollllll :banana: BC places roof is gonna look righteous! hopefully it wont make certain ppl's egos inflate too much. cuz ya know chicks love it when u say your town has the largest cable stayed retractable roof. :rolleyes:

Fairbanks
Oct 22, 2010, 2:24 AM
Meanwhile, back at the largest cable stayed retractable roof on Earth..Vancouver. Also the new Port Mann Bridge will be the largest and widest cable stayed bridge in North America. "Damn Canadians".

jlousa
Oct 22, 2010, 2:25 AM
Back on topic.

jlousa
Oct 22, 2010, 2:33 AM
Seems the warning isn't working, suspensions will be levied if not back on topic.

Vancity
Oct 22, 2010, 2:37 AM
Alright. Back on topic. Does anyone know how BC Place is going to cover the top tier seats, for games for the Whitecaps? Cause I recall the Caps saying that they are going to cover the top half of the stadium, to provide a more intimate setting for games. How's that going to look like without making it look like it feels and looks empty?

Fairbanks
Oct 22, 2010, 2:40 AM
I dont know how they will accomplish that unless the roof has the capablity to drop for soccer games. Again, I dont see how.

Fairbanks
Oct 22, 2010, 2:43 AM
I have given this some thought and I don't see how, unless this new roof has a capability that hasnt been clearly dfined.

agrant
Oct 22, 2010, 3:36 AM
There are a few renders out there somewhere showing what looked like a fabric sub-roof, I guess lowered from the main roof, or maybe tucked away around the edge and then pulled out. Pretty difficult to imagine when no other stadium has pulled it off, at least I can't think of any examples. It doesn't sound impossible though. There were some pretty nifty things hanging from the roof during the Olympic Ceremonies.... My only concern is how well it'll do the job.

EastVanMark
Oct 22, 2010, 3:41 AM
Alright. Back on topic. Does anyone know how BC Place is going to cover the top tier seats, for games for the Whitecaps? Cause I recall the Caps saying that they are going to cover the top half of the stadium, to provide a more intimate setting for games. How's that going to look like without making it look like it feels and looks empty?

There is supposed to be an "inner roof" that will be suspended from the real roof to cover the upper level of seats. (along the lines of what the Giants do at the Pacific Coliseum).

Vancity
Oct 22, 2010, 5:46 AM
There is supposed to be an "inner roof" that will be suspended from the real roof to cover the upper level of seats. (along the lines of what the Giants do at the Pacific Coliseum).

Yeah. I'm curious to see how that's going to work out. Won't it still feel pretty empty? That's a big portion of the stadium they are trying to cover. I can't help but imagine that this "inner roof" has got to be an impressive thing. How is it going to work? And what happens when it rains? It's obvious that this inner roof has got to have a "hole" in it, right, to line up with the opening of the actual roof? And what happens if the retractable roof closes, it'd look very strange. I can't see this looking right, or good. It sounds, awkward.

Vancity
Oct 22, 2010, 5:47 AM
There are a few renders out there somewhere showing what looked like a fabric sub-roof, I guess lowered from the main roof, or maybe tucked away around the edge and then pulled out. Pretty difficult to imagine when no other stadium has pulled it off, at least I can't think of any examples. It doesn't sound impossible though. There were some pretty nifty things hanging from the roof during the Olympic Ceremonies.... My only concern is how well it'll do the job.

exactly. personally, i have a difficult time envisioning it working very well. maybe all the more reason why the 'Caps may continue to push for their own stadium.

PaperTiger
Oct 22, 2010, 4:15 PM
http://media.canada.com/bdbffb02-dc75-420e-8b09-c7871e3d0f7a/0611placesoc.jpg

Apparently it is easy, you just have to draw some polygons in autocad and poof lower roof appears :rolleyes:

scooterm2010
Oct 22, 2010, 6:50 PM
Mast #19 is going up...17 left to go.

eduardo88
Oct 22, 2010, 7:20 PM
I don't get how the lower roof will be built without obstructing (ever so slightly) the view from the upper bowl down towards the field with wires. or is there a way?

twoNeurons
Oct 22, 2010, 7:45 PM
I don't get how the lower roof will be built without obstructing (ever so slightly) the view from the upper bowl down towards the field with wires. or is there a way?

Microfilament Wires :D

Fairbanks
Oct 22, 2010, 9:10 PM
A word to the wise when it comes to the new Terry Fox Memorial at BC Place.
Here's an example of "what not to do"
This "sculpture" sits on the plaza outside Victoria's Save-on-Foods Memorial Arena.

First of all...beware the hazards of corporate naming. Second be sure the artist you contract has talent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ngawangchodron/393754222/

The sculpture is called, "Pavilion, Rock and Shell" but most of us locals just call it "eyesore". Public opinion is crucial. I hope that artist Douglas Coupland publishes his drawings in the Vancouver papers and let's the public decide what is acceptable. No offense meant to Douglas Coupland but we could end up with something like Victoria City Council imposed on it's citizens at a cost of $120,000.00

Fairbanks
Oct 22, 2010, 9:13 PM
P.S. I am in the wrong businesss.

agrant
Oct 22, 2010, 9:19 PM
Bottom line is this new sculpture should be easily recognizable and understood as representing Terry Fox, not an abstract pile. How can you not incorporate a statue into it?

Fairbanks
Oct 22, 2010, 9:23 PM
A word to the wise when it comes to the new Terry Fox Memorial at BC Place.
Here's an example of "what not to do"
This "sculpture" sits on the plaza outside Victoria's Save-on-Foods Memorial Arena.

First of all...beware the hazards of corporate naming. Second be sure the artist you contract has talent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ngawangchodron/393754222/

The sculpture is called, "Pavilion, Rock and Shell" but most of us locals just call it "eyesore". Public opinion is crucial. I hope that artist Douglas Coupland publishes his drawings in the Vancouver papers and let's the public decide what is acceptable. No offense meant to Douglas Coupland but we could end up with something like Victoria City Council imposed on it's citizens at a cost of $120,000.00

To clarify: Corporate naming refers to the possible renaming of BC Place, not the sculpture.

djmk
Oct 22, 2010, 10:46 PM
Bottom line is this new sculpture should be easily recognizable and understood as representing Terry Fox, not an abstract pile. How can you not incorporate a statue into it?

there is already one at SFU
http://www.sfu.ca/terryfox/images/statue.gif
http://www.sfu.ca/terryfox/about.html

officedweller
Oct 23, 2010, 12:37 AM
Vancouver Sun article with lots of pics:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/remaking+stadium+exclusive+look+inside+Place/3714219/story.html

agrant
Oct 23, 2010, 2:26 AM
there is already one at SFUThere's probably hundreds of Mickey Mouse statues on this planet, I think we can have a few of one of Canada's heroes. And the problem with the one at SFU, is that it's at SFU... not in a place where Joe Public can see it.

djh
Oct 23, 2010, 2:27 AM
^Interesting paragraph from Vancouver Sun article:

In order to support the cabling and 18,000 tonnes of steel masts, PavCo had to beef up each one of the 54 support columns in the stadium. They all now have buttresses rising from the main floor right to the upper rim. That's forced the replacement of all of the bronzed glass along the walkways, something Podmore says will let in more light and from the street soften the grey, drab concrete look. The roof and interiors will also be strung with changeable colour lighting, allowing the stadium to take on custom colours. For a Lions game, it might be orange. For the Vancouver Whitecaps soccer team, it might be white and blue.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/remaking+stadium+exclusive+look+inside+Place/3714219/story.html#ixzz1392pObo7

So I think it's answered once and for all now.

gillty
Oct 23, 2010, 3:13 AM
^Interesting paragraph from Vancouver Sun article:

So I think it's answered once and for all now.
The associated photo of said glass, much better.

http://i54.tinypic.com/21kxs0p.jpg
Nick Procaylo, Vancouver Sun

Vancity
Oct 23, 2010, 12:31 PM
The associated photo of said glass, much better.

http://i54.tinypic.com/21kxs0p.jpg
Nick Procaylo, Vancouver Sun

I'm curious what will go in those walkways. It can't be nothing, right? Cause that'd look so...well, dull. The exterior of the BC Place, I'm not concerned about. As the roof really is the main attraction (besides the team playing in the actual building, haha). It's what they're putting inside the building that I'll be curious to see. Will this building, once done, be recognized (internally) as 500 million plus dollars worth of renovation(s)? Where will all the "bells and whistles" be? It should be a first class experience going to BC Place, once it's done. I guess we'll see just how "first class"

officedweller
Oct 24, 2010, 9:28 AM
I think a lot of the cost in is in the structural work.

See the column to the left in the pic above? It has had concrete added to both sides of it to support the strengthened ring beam around the rim of the stadium (that's being done to all of the columns).
The ring beam has been strengthened to act as the transfer beam to support the roof structure and transfer the load to the columns below (since there are fewer masts than there are columns) - they've had to install new steel columns below the ring beam to transfer the load to the beefed up columns.

cjohnny4
Oct 25, 2010, 6:04 AM
Nice, accurate description, officedweller!

officedweller
Oct 25, 2010, 6:27 AM
Yeah, I actually went on a tour of the reno last week - but no pics.

If you look at this 1982 pic, you can see a trough in the rim ring.
That trough has been filled with concrete to create a transfer beam around the rim of the stadium onto which the masts are secured.
The rainwater pipes etc. that used to be housed in that trough will be re-located to the inside under the rim.
I think they said that there's a loss of a row of seats at the top.

http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/vancouver/1982/vch1982_027.jpg
http://www.globalairphotos.com/large/BC/Vancouver/Downtown/1982/027/2

However, if you look at an earlier pic, you'll see that the rim ring beam cantilevered out beyond the gravity columns,
so the weight of the newly-filled trough / rim ring beam sits outside of the old columns
- so newly installed steel columns (replacing the red primer coated columns shown in the pic) were installed under the rim ring beam to direct the load of the ring beam
inwards a bit and the existing concrete columns on the levels below were widened / strengthened to the outside to align with those steel columns above -
that directed the load from the transfer rim ring beam into the columns and down to the ground.

Tidbit from the tour
- BC Place is actually 15 separate structures connected with expansion joints (8 structures for the ramps and 7 structures for the seating/stands).

http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/vancouver/1982/vch1982_015.jpg
http://www.globalairphotos.com/large/BC/Vancouver/Downtown/1982/015/2

WarrenC12
Oct 25, 2010, 2:08 PM
Fantastic pictures and explanation, thanks.

Amazing to see the area in 1982. Virtually unrecognizable.

Vancity
Oct 26, 2010, 6:35 AM
^yeah. I was going to say that as well. Pic of downtown Vancouver is almost unrecognizable to the downtown of today. I'm excited what the downtown of today will be in comparison to the downtown of say...30 years from now.

vansky
Oct 26, 2010, 7:12 AM
^yeah. I was going to say that as well. Pic of downtown Vancouver is almost unrecognizable to the downtown of today. I'm excited what the downtown of today will be in comparison to the downtown of say...30 years from now.

i dont think u can still build on it 10 yrs from now

itinerant
Oct 26, 2010, 7:01 PM
i dont think u can still build on it 10 yrs from now

I don't think we'll see the end of build-ability on the downtown peninsula. There are always old buildings to tear down and parking lots to fill. While there are no more large swaths of former industrial land (except perhaps the rail yards on Coal Harbour), we have plenty of underutilized CBD and DTES.

scooterm2010
Oct 26, 2010, 7:05 PM
Looks like mast #20 is going up today. Only 16 more to go!

officedweller
Oct 26, 2010, 8:38 PM
I don't think we'll see the end of build-ability on the downtown peninsula. There are always old buildings to tear down and parking lots to fill. While there are no more large swaths of former industrial land (except perhaps the rail yards on Coal Harbour), we have plenty of underutilized CBD and DTES.

I tend to agree. The biggest constraint will be on sites that are strata-titled, since you'd need owner approval to redevelop. But commercially-owned properties could be redeveloped. In the long term, as development pressure builds and space becomes more limited, current limitations will be relaxed.

Vancity
Oct 27, 2010, 2:00 AM
exciting times for the downtown core.

I wonder what kind of plans the city has for Broadway? Are they going to allow taller buildings in the area to be built? If so, how much taller? There's actually quite a few condo's being built along the stretch of Broadway (mostly between Main street and up until Arbutus).

cjohnny4
Oct 27, 2010, 6:03 AM
Now the BC Place website has a third webcam called the stadium roof cam! Great bird's eye view into the bowl! About time!

officedweller
Oct 27, 2010, 8:11 AM
Nice!

BTW - the first of the roof support cables has gone up (could be the second) - it's visible down Robson Street and is clearly comprised of two sets of cables - upper and lower joined by stringers.

The current cables that are supporting each of the masts are temporary cables.

Yume-sama
Oct 28, 2010, 4:45 AM
Global's breaking news on BC Place at 11 is that... the casino will have 1500 slot machines, not 600, as we were lead to believe!

Won't SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN? More at 11.

EastVanMark
Oct 28, 2010, 5:11 AM
Hopefully the news will also report that the design was a lie as well and that the actual design doesn't suck like the one that was shown.

Spork
Oct 28, 2010, 5:31 AM
Global's breaking news on BC Place at 11 is that... the casino will have 1500 slot machines, not 600, as we were lead to believe!

Won't SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN? More at 11.

Oh boy! Now that there won't be lineups 5 people deep at the slot machines like edgewater, I'm going to start gambling! I sure hope I don't lose my house and end up hanging myself! Gee wiz!

mr.x
Oct 28, 2010, 6:08 AM
To make it a true destination casino, an actual attraction unlike Edgewater or all other casinos in the region (perhaps, except River Rock), the project needs size - and with 1500 it certainly is going to get it.

Yume-sama
Oct 28, 2010, 6:18 AM
The city councillor on the news, Tim Stevenson, is saying the residents of the not yet built or sold condo towers beside the casino should have a say whether or not the casino can have this "massive expansion" (note nothing is actually getting bigger). And also, think of the families in Yaletown. :P

Metro-One
Oct 28, 2010, 6:45 AM
This casino will also need some good lighting effects to truly market itself as an entertainment destination. In the renders shown so far it looks more akin to a convention centre then a casino / entertainment complex.

officedweller
Oct 28, 2010, 8:26 AM
The city councillor on the news, Tim Stevenson, is saying the residents of the not yet built or sold condo towers beside the casino should have a say whether or not the casino can have this "massive expansion" (note nothing is actually getting bigger). And also, think of the families in Yaletown. :P

Yeah, because the extra 900 people would so outnumber the 58,000 attending at BC Place....

Yume-sama
Oct 28, 2010, 5:27 PM
I do think you'd have more to worry about from the up-to 70,000 raucous sports fans (if the Canucks are playing, too :P) than casino goers. They're much more noisy before and after a game, all through-out downtown. I've never seen a nice casino that was slummy and loud on the outside. And the new casino will most certainly be made to be a "nice" casino.

I will assume the people who buy the condos will realize they are beside a major sports stadium. And not demand the roof always be closed because of noise :P However, history that I am aware of in both Calgary and Vancouver would seem to point to me being wrong.

Smooth
Oct 28, 2010, 7:10 PM
There's a 3rd webcam up now on the BC Place website.

http://www.bcplacestadium.com/index.php/construction.html#webcam

It's far better than the other 2 angles.

Fairbanks
Oct 28, 2010, 7:13 PM
I know this has been posted in the past but the site is always being updated.
Except they are a little behind right now. Still waiting for Sept 2010 and October 2010 updates but there are great aerials past and present.

Enjoy!

http://www.globalairphotos.com/gallery/BC/Vancouver

nobase2010
Oct 31, 2010, 1:43 AM
From today.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5129633453_ef715d8803_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34206763@N07/5129633453/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/5129634469_7fa9cf2d52_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34206763@N07/5129634469/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1186/5129774817_aefc4df344_z.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34206763@N07/5129774817/sizes/z/in/photostream/

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1219/5129770135_4f8ab83c4d_z.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34206763@N07/5129770135/sizes/z/in/photostream/

officedweller
Oct 31, 2010, 5:43 AM
Great shots! Thanks.

Yume-sama
Oct 31, 2010, 6:33 AM
Great pics :D!

ckkelley
Oct 31, 2010, 4:58 PM
Love the pics. Nice work dude!

entheosfog
Oct 31, 2010, 8:02 PM
A little further out, taken yesterday from Fairview Slopes at Oak and 8th ave:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9538/img8327h.jpg

djmk
Nov 1, 2010, 7:43 PM
its coming together fast!

BC Place renovations will be finished by next fall - Podmore

By BRUCE CONSTANTINEAU, Vancouver SunNovember 1, 2010 12:04 PM

David Braley announces details for the 2011 Grey Cup in Vancouver on November 1, 2010.

VANCOUVER - The $563-million renovation of BC Place will be completed by the fall of 2011 - sooner if possible, PavCo chair David Podmore said Monday.

"It is going very, very well," he said in an interview. "At one point, we thought we might open before everything is complete but we're not going to do that. It's better to focus on getting it 100-per-cent complete and then open it."

Speculation on the opening date has run wild recently, with some even suggesting the B.C. Lions and Vancouver Whitecaps may not play in the facility next year. The 2011 Grey Cup will be held there on Nov. 27, 2011.

But Lions owner David Braley expects his club will play under the new retractable-roof stadium "long before" that.

He said PavCo has already overcome the first of three major construction hurdles with the successful installation of 36 steel beams that will support the roof.

Braley noted the club doesn't have to inform season ticket holders about game locations next season until May 1 next year, when it starts to print tickets. Canadian Football League exhibition games begin in June.

Braley said the Lions budgeted for less revenue and a break-even season this year because of the move to Empire Field, which is roughly half the size of BC Place.

He said the Lions have been profitable for several years and expects the team will either break even this year, or make or lose about $100,000.

Braley said Lions head coach and general manager Wally Buono will definitely be back with the team next year, regardless of how this season ends as the club struggles to make the playoffs.

"Wally will be back with this team next year period - full stop," he said. "It's his decision whether he coaches or whether he wants to be the general manager only.

"I have a gut feeling [what he'll do] but I'll keep it to myself."

The 2011 Grey Cup Committee announced Monday that ticket prices for the event at a renovated BC Place will range from $125 to $375 for the general public and from $100 to $295 for Lions season ticket holders.

Grey Cup general manager Scott Ackles said those prices are slightly lower than prices charged for the 2009 Grey Cup in Calgary and slightly higher than the prices charged for this year's event in Edmonton.

The capacity at the renovated BC Place will drop from about 60,000 to 54,500 as PavCo needed more room for club seating, wider seats and better wheelchair access.

Ackles also announced B.C. Lottery Corp. will join Scotiabank, Safeway and the Vancouver Sun and Province as major sponsors of the 2011 Grey Cup.

A four-day Grey Cup Festival will feature events in and around the Vancouver Convention Centre and BC Place, with a Raise the Roof theme featured on a new festival brand.

bconstantineau@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Place+renovations+will+finished+next+fall+Podmore/3759293/story.html

Vancity
Nov 1, 2010, 7:46 PM
wow. bc place really does dominate, with its current design. you can't help but notice it. i can't wait to see what this building will look like at night. nice updates. thanks for the great shots :)

Vancity
Nov 1, 2010, 7:47 PM
its coming together fast!

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Place+renovations+will+finished+next+fall+Podmore/3759293/story.html

renovations seem to be going at a pretty good rate. i wonder if they'll open earlier than expected next year?

WarrenC12
Nov 1, 2010, 8:17 PM
I can't wait to be in the new dome, but at the same time we had some great games at Empire this year (setting, not always on the field. :) It only rained once, and not badly. So even if most of next year's season is at Empire, it will be fine. Transit is the only problem. Nothing beats Skytrain for stadium sized crowds. Take that zwei!

Yesterday was great on and off the field. :cheers:

PaperTiger
Nov 1, 2010, 9:06 PM
"The capacity at the renovated BC Place will drop from about 60,000 to 54,500 as PavCo needed more room for club seating, wider seats and better wheelchair access

Woohoo! This the first time I have actually seen wider seats committed to in print.

It would be better if Pavco would say it though.

BCPhil
Nov 1, 2010, 9:10 PM
New BC Place roof can't close in rain
Last Updated: Monday, November 1, 2010 | 10:43 AM PT Comments204Recommend67
CBC News

Construction continues on the $450-million renovation of BC Place, including the new retractable roof. (BC Place)
The half-a-billion dollar retractable roof on BC Place Stadium will not be able to close in the rain when it is completed next September, CBC News has learned.

Howard Crosley, the general manager of BC Place, said the operators will have to make a decision to open or close the roof based on the weather reports, but they won't necessarily be able to close it if they make the wrong call.

"The way the roof actually works, it's a gathering material that comes into the centre and because of that, if it's raining or high winds, we won't be able to open or close it," he said.

When it is finished, the roof will be the largest cable-supported retractable roof in the world and will take about 20 minutes to open and close, according to officials. But fans will stay dry no matter what because the 55,000 seats in the stadium are covered by a fixed section of the fabric roof, Crosley said.

BC Place Stadium is run by the B.C. Pavilion Corporation, which is owned by the provincial government, and overseen by the Minister of Tourism.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/11/01/bc-place-retractable-roof.html#socialcomments#ixzz144DKPRSg

Anyone else find the story VERY misleading? The headline makes it sound like the roof would never work (ie water would get in any time it rains). But the seats are all covered anyway, so call me old fashioned but I always thought the playing in the elements was a big part of sports. I would rather see that during Whitecaps season the roof stays open all the time so they could play on a real grass pitch, but I know that's not going to happen so during the winter the roof will probably just stay closed all the time. I don't see how this is as big a deal as the story, and the comments, make it out to be.

officedweller
Nov 1, 2010, 9:42 PM
Just the sensationalist media on a slow news day.

Try putting your patio umbrella up on a windy day.

BTW - the BC Place roof retractable middle section can be inflated to shed snow. That's an improvement over the Hamburg roof, which cannot handle snow - and must be left open in winter.

Yume-sama
Nov 1, 2010, 9:50 PM
lol I'm pretty sure the SkyDome roof takes in excess of 15 minutes to close, and can't close for safety reasons if a freak storm comes up, either.

But yeah, that is a traditional CBC misleading title that doesn't match the article at all.

And of course, all the comments are from people who only read the headline~

Your tax dollars at work :D

I wish CBC would use Facebook Connect for the comments, exclusively. Theoretically the majority of people are less likely to go off on a completely ridiculous tangent if it was posted in their own name. Unfortunately, the majority of people also don't happen to realize they are a complete raving lunatic.

mr.x
Nov 1, 2010, 10:22 PM
Yet another local media fail....CBC wasn't like this even five years ago, very little sensationalism...do yourself all a favour and avoid those comment sections.

BCPhil
Nov 1, 2010, 10:37 PM
Yet another local media fail....CBC wasn't like this even five years ago, very little sensationalism...do yourself all a favour and avoid those comment sections.

Their site programming is so bad that the comments don't even load 3/4 of the time for me, on no matter which browser I use. I had to reload twice just to see them as I was curious what people were saying. And I think they only started using an expectable, if not rather low featured and still glitchy, media player this year (for the longest time they just had embedded WMP).

djmk
Nov 1, 2010, 10:39 PM
this is my favorite quote from CBC

This new construction is generating a disgusting amount of light pollution. You can see a huge amount of excess light shining upwards from the stadium at night time from all over Vancouver. It is blocking the view of stars and can interfere with bird migrations and other problems not to mention excess night time light has been linked to poor health for humans. On their website they claim that the new BC place will be environmentally friendly using much less power. I hope they consider excess light at night time to also be a form of pollution.

OMG

mr.x
Nov 1, 2010, 10:42 PM
Welcome to the VILLAGE of Vancouver.

I thought I lived in a major city.

SpongeG
Nov 1, 2010, 10:56 PM
you thought wrong

dleung
Nov 1, 2010, 11:38 PM
The commentator didn't quite take into account that investing in more sensitive construction lighting means more costs tranferred to the taxpayer, meaning that he wants everyone to pay to prevent temporary blockage of his view of the night stars.

That said, Vancouver wouldn't the kind of place it is if it weren't for all the care we already devote to ecology, light and sound pollution, and maintaining that village feel of the city. No one in their right mind should want any of that to change.

SpongeG
Nov 1, 2010, 11:47 PM
tell that to the people who want granville to turn into tokyo or hong king

http://www.japanforum.com/gallery/data/504/tokyo-night.jpg
www.japanforum.com

SpongeG
Nov 2, 2010, 12:11 AM
BC Place renovations will be finished by next fall - Podmore

By BRUCE CONSTANTINEAU, Vancouver Sun November 1, 2010 2:34 PM Comments (3)

VANCOUVER - The $563-million renovation of BC Place will be completed by the fall of 2011 - sooner if possible, PavCo chair David Podmore said Monday.

"It is going very, very well," he said in an interview. "At one point, we thought we might open before everything is complete but we're not going to do that. It's better to focus on getting it 100-per-cent complete and then open it."

Speculation on the opening date has run wild recently, with some even suggesting the B.C. Lions and Vancouver Whitecaps may not play in the facility next year. The 2011 Grey Cup will be held there on Nov. 27, 2011.

But Lions owner David Braley expects his club will play under the new retractable-roof stadium "long before" that.

He said PavCo has already overcome the first of three major construction hurdles with the successful installation of 36 steel beams that will support the roof.

Braley noted the club doesn't have to inform season ticket holders about game locations next season until May 1 next year, when it starts to print tickets. Canadian Football League exhibition games begin in June.

Braley said the Lions budgeted for less revenue and a break-even season this year because of the move to Empire Field, which is roughly half the size of BC Place.

He said the Lions have been profitable for several years and expects the team will either break even this year, or make or lose about $100,000.

Braley said Lions head coach and general manager Wally Buono will definitely be back with the team next year, regardless of how this season ends as the club struggles to make the playoffs.

"Wally will be back with this team next year period - full stop," he said. "It's his decision whether he coaches or whether he wants to be the general manager only.

"I have a gut feeling [what he'll do] but I'll keep it to myself."

The 2011 Grey Cup Committee announced Monday that ticket prices for the event at a renovated BC Place will range from $125 to $375 for the general public and from $100 to $295 for Lions season ticket holders.

Grey Cup general manager Scott Ackles said those prices are slightly lower than prices charged for the 2009 Grey Cup in Calgary and slightly higher than the prices charged for this year's event in Edmonton.

The capacity at the renovated BC Place will drop from about 60,000 to 54,500 as PavCo needed more room for club seating, wider seats and better wheelchair access.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Place+renovations+will+finished+next+fall+Podmore/3759293/story.html#ixzz144yQCFgh

dtrain
Nov 2, 2010, 2:57 AM
thanks for posting this story for the 2nd time today.

SpongeG
Nov 2, 2010, 3:38 AM
its on a new page :D

thanks so much

Denscity
Nov 2, 2010, 4:30 AM
Both global and ctv presented this story negatively as well, not just cbc.

flight_from_kamakura
Nov 2, 2010, 4:45 AM
New BC Place roof can't close in rain

The half-a-billion dollar retractable roof on BC Place Stadium will not be able to close in the rain when it is completed next September, CBC News has learned.

Howard Crosley, the general manager of BC Place, said the operators will have to make a decision to open or close the roof based on the weather reports, but they won't necessarily be able to close it if they make the wrong call.

"The way the roof actually works, it's a gathering material that comes into the centre and because of that, if it's raining or high winds, we won't be able to open or close it," he said.

When it is finished, the roof will be the largest cable-supported retractable roof in the world and will take about 20 minutes to open and close, according to officials. But fans will stay dry no matter what because the 55,000 seats in the stadium are covered by a fixed section of the fabric roof, Crosley said.

BC Place Stadium is run by the B.C. Pavilion Corporation, which is owned by the provincial government, and overseen by the Minister of Tourism.

The $565 million renovation to the stadium will be completed in the fall of 2011, well before the Grey Cup, which Vancouver is scheduled to stage Nov. 27, officials announced Monday.

The stadium will be the home field of the CFL's BC Lions and the Vancouver Whitecaps of Major League Soccer. Both teams will start their season at other locations but expect to end them at BC Place.

Both North American football and soccer are traditionally played in all weather conditions.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/11/01/bc-place-retractable-roof.html#ixzz1465B7L3D.

Metro-One
Nov 2, 2010, 5:15 AM
This new construction is generating a disgusting amount of light pollution. You can see a huge amount of excess light shining upwards from the stadium at night time from all over Vancouver. It is blocking the view of stars and can interfere with bird migrations and other problems not to mention excess night time light has been linked to poor health for humans. On their website they claim that the new BC place will be environmentally friendly using much less power. I hope they consider excess light at night time to also be a form of pollution.

:jester:

Wow, just wow, blocking the view of the stars? If viewing the stars on a nightly basis and the fear of light at night leading to poor health are so concerning to this individual then maybe he / she should not live near the centre of a multi million person city????

Maybe they would feel better in the burbs, and I mean in the burb's burbs to avoid these two "problems."

Seeing the stars at night is something I enjoy now (for I am in the burb currently on a green belt) but if I move closer to downtown (or in downtown) in the future, which I plan to do, being able to see the stars at night is not something I am expecting, and will gladly trade them for being able to see the colorful signs, lights. etc... of a major city centre. In the burbs the bonus is stars, near a city it is suppose to be interesting lighting features / city scapes. When are people in Vancouver going to except the inevitability that the city has grown in the past 100 years? Again, it seems that people in the 50's were far more excepting and embracing of the realization Vancouver was becoming a city than they are today.

scooterm2010
Nov 2, 2010, 7:41 AM
Looks like mast #21 went up on Monday.

scooterm2010
Nov 2, 2010, 11:20 PM
Noticed today, the temporary cables have been removed from the 2 masts that have had permanent cables attached.

Yume-sama
Nov 2, 2010, 11:33 PM
When will the casino actually begin construction and open?

golog
Nov 3, 2010, 12:02 AM
Noticed today, the temporary cables have been removed from the 2 masts that have had permanent cables attached.

I walked by last night and I wondered whether putting up new masts were on hold until they could free up the thick temporary cables to be reused for the remaining masts.

When will the casino actually begin construction and open?

Buckley said work won't begin until next summer (http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2010wintergames/remaking+stadium+exclusive+look+inside+Place/3714219/story.html) after PavCo no longer needs the land for a construction staging area for the stadium.

The hotels and casino won't open until some time in 2014, Podmore said, meaning Paragon will have to get a small lease extension on its current casino site at the Plaza of Nations.

There is a big white tent being erected around the pedestrian offramp from the northbound Smithe St portion of the Cambie bridge. If it's not in response to the rainier weather, I would guess that it's the prep area for a component we haven't seen yet.

SFUVancouver
Nov 4, 2010, 6:01 AM
A shot of the permanent roof support cables.
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3234/bcplaceroofcablesnovemb.jpg
http://creativecommons.org/images/public/somerights20.png (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/ca/) Taken by SFUVancouver, November 3rd, 2010.

One of my favourite views of the stadium.
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8298/bcplacenovember32010p12.jpg
http://creativecommons.org/images/public/somerights20.png (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/ca/) Taken by SFUVancouver, November 3rd, 2010.

Denscity
Nov 4, 2010, 6:16 AM
:previous: Man that's good. this pic should be in the national section as well.

mr.x
Nov 4, 2010, 6:29 AM
Campbell's legacy. :) (albeit two years late, but better than nothing!)

One final time...GO GORDO GO!

bils
Nov 5, 2010, 8:12 PM
Campbell's legacy. :) (albeit two years late, but better than nothing!)

One final time...GO GORDO GO!

don't wanna jinx anything, but i could see the future casino/hotel being in jeopardy if it proves to be a sore point for campbell's successor...

Yume-sama
Nov 5, 2010, 9:26 PM
I could see $500 million with no way to pay it off being more of a sore point if the hotel / casino does not go forward.

BCPhil
Nov 5, 2010, 11:59 PM
I could see $500 million with no way to pay it off being more of a sore point if the hotel / casino does not go forward.

Yeah, but when's the last time the NDP cared about paying something off?

Coldrsx
Nov 6, 2010, 6:57 AM
Very cool project, but my god the cost is unreal.

huenthar
Nov 6, 2010, 8:53 AM
:jester:

Wow, just wow, blocking the view of the stars? If viewing the stars on a nightly basis and the fear of light at night leading to poor health are so concerning to this individual then maybe he / she should not live near the centre of a multi million person city????

Maybe they would feel better in the burbs, and I mean in the burb's burbs to avoid these two "problems."

Seeing the stars at night is something I enjoy now (for I am in the burb currently on a green belt) but if I move closer to downtown (or in downtown) in the future, which I plan to do, being able to see the stars at night is not something I am expecting, and will gladly trade them for being able to see the colorful signs, lights. etc... of a major city centre. In the burbs the bonus is stars, near a city it is suppose to be interesting lighting features / city scapes. When are people in Vancouver going to except the inevitability that the city has grown in the past 100 years? Again, it seems that people in the 50's were far more excepting and embracing of the realization Vancouver was becoming a city than they are today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pollution

While I'm not personally that concerned about light pollution, it is a legitimate concern. It's not totally random.

jlousa
Nov 6, 2010, 6:56 PM
I agree with the costs being too high, there is nothing to do about it now. I think if we it had to be done all over again we would've been better off demoing and rebuilding in the same spot. Since it's now looking like Empire Stadium will get two seasons of football anyways, we would've only have had to use it one more additional year. 3 years would've provided enough time to demo and have rebuilt. We would of had the stadium up and running in time for the 100th grey cup instead of the 99th.
Sure we would've spent more ~$850M instead of the current ~$560M. But for the extra $300M we would've ended up with a brand new stadium instead of a rehashed stadium that will still not be ideal. BC Place is a monster in terms of footprint and the nosebleeds are pretty bad compared to most stadiums as you are so far from the pitch. You could've build a 55K stadium within 2/3rd the footprint of the current dome which would lead to better sightlines and a more intimate feel. You would also have been able to free up quite a bit of property which would allow better integration with the surrounding community and recuperate a portion of the additional funds.
I understand the original motive and supported it at the time, but I think in hindsight the wrong decision was made.