PDA

View Full Version : General Update/Rumour thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

JackBauer24
Jun 19, 2013, 1:06 PM
1947 (the returning vets were still getting married in 1946).

Hey, we didn't choose or define what a Baby Boomer is or when they were born, we're just interpreting what info is out there.

Look it up in any book or website and they are generally defined as being born anywhere from 1944-1946 to 1964-1968. Did you have another definition for Baby Boomer?

kwoldtimer
Jun 19, 2013, 1:21 PM
Hey, we didn't choose or define what a Baby Boomer is or when they were born, we're just interpreting what info is out there.

Look it up in any book or website and they are generally defined as being born anywhere from 1944-1946 to 1964-1968. Did you have another definition for Baby Boomer?

Well, Statistics Canada seems to call it for 1946 (I'll concede, but my family's contributions didn't start until April, 1947 ;) ) to 1965 (which seems late to me, but I guess the numbers don't lie).

Dr.Z
Jun 19, 2013, 1:34 PM
"The Garage" is taken, or at least it was. That was the nickname of GM Place in Vancouver for years, and is still used I believe, as these things tend to linger. We'll have think of something new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Arena

And look how it has cursed Vancouver!

The Shed is much better anyways IMO.

YOWflier
Jun 19, 2013, 2:41 PM
I find stadium names to be a bit silly. I think we should just refer to Canadian Tire Center as CTC.

Norman Bates
Jun 19, 2013, 2:56 PM
Well, Statistics Canada seems to call it for 1946 (I'll concede, but my family's contributions didn't start until April, 1947 ;) ) to 1965 (which seems late to me, but I guess the numbers don't lie).
I always thought of it beginning 38 weeks after VE Day, so January 28, 1946. And ending 38 weeks after the introduction of pharmaceutical birth control, but I've not been able to track down a confirmable date for Canada. Suffice to say that I was born in 1964 and consider myself a late boomer.

J.OT13
Jun 19, 2013, 4:58 PM
I will always refer to the arena out in Kanata as the Palladium or the Corel Centre. Those were the names I grew up with and those names were original and/or represented Ottawa.

citizen j
Jun 19, 2013, 7:32 PM
And look how it has cursed Vancouver!

The Shed is much better anyways IMO.

Yes, The Shed is good. Just so long as that doesn't turn into The Tool Shed.

McC
Jun 19, 2013, 7:41 PM
unless that's what we call the penalty boxes?

J.OT13
Jun 20, 2013, 4:09 PM
unless that's what we call the penalty boxes?

I like it.

McC
Jun 20, 2013, 4:15 PM
In an alternate world where this deal had been done a few years back and Dean Brown wasn't such a homer, I can imagine him saying "...and Dany Heatly will sit for two or less in the CT Centre's Tool Shed for another careless high stick"

Capital Shaun
Jun 20, 2013, 6:59 PM
In an alternate world where this deal had been done a few years back and Dean Brown wasn't such a homer, I can imagine him saying "...and Dany Heatly will sit for two or less in the CT Centre's Tool Shed for another careless high stick"

lol, love it

JackBauer24
Jun 23, 2013, 4:14 PM
As long as the annoying Canadian Tire couple isn't involved in anything, I frankly don't care what the Palladium is called.

umbria27
Jun 24, 2013, 3:04 PM
Don't know if this belongs in this thread but Capital Councillor Chernushenko has an Op Ed on the Complete Streets concept for Main Street.

He's anticipating the backlash from suburban commuters who oppose any reduction in commuting bandwidth. We already saw this play out on Bronson with commuters winning.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/op-ed/Main+Street+everyone/8567332/story.html

kwoldtimer
Jun 24, 2013, 8:39 PM
Seems like the perfect time to press ahead with discussion of the Alta Vista Parkway. Between the Main St discussion and that, I wonder how many folks would stroke out? ;)

J.OT13
Jun 25, 2013, 4:48 PM
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/06/25/committee-passes-12m-cost-to-move-buildings

Seriously?

Not a lot of people share my definition of historic building.

teej1984
Jun 25, 2013, 6:49 PM

Seriously?

What a colossal waste of money!!!

What does this even mean??? "The current road alignment doesn't meet safety standards."

Has anyone ever heard of an accident happening here!? Yesh

citizen j
Jun 25, 2013, 8:42 PM

What does this even mean??? "The current road alignment doesn't meet safety standards."

It means that the curve in that part of Sussex doesn't allow for people to drive like they're on a "parkway" (cough*highway) or other unobstructed, high-speed thoroughfare and might actually have to slow down and drive according to the physical dictates of the urban street. With this in mind, I wonder how long before the NCC demands the City move the Chateau Laurier hotel because it interferes with a smooth parkway-like sweep of majestic, nation-building views and greenspace-lined, unimpeded driving between Mackenzie and Wellington? As Uhuniau is so fond of saying, it's not curvy-wurvy enough.

Uhuniau
Jun 25, 2013, 9:29 PM

Read, "The current road alignment doesn't meet the NCC's empire-building standards."

Abolish the NCC.

ABOLISH ABOLISH ABOLISH.

Uhuniau
Jun 25, 2013, 9:30 PM
As Uhuniau is so fond of saying, it's not curvy-wurvy enough.

OBJECTION! The term is "curly-wurly". ;)

J.OT13
Jun 25, 2013, 9:39 PM
The NCC wants the City pay to put trains underground along the parkway. I say the NCC pay to move those houses and make the curve "safer". Their project, their bill!

Boxster
Jun 25, 2013, 10:07 PM
Read, "The current road alignment doesn't meet the NCC's empire-building standards."

Abolish the NCC.

ABOLISH ABOLISH ABOLISH.

RIGHT ON!!! :raygun:

citizen j
Jun 25, 2013, 10:46 PM
OBJECTION! The term is "curly-wurly". ;)

How mortifying. :uhh:
I'll check my sources better next time.

Kitchissippi
Jun 25, 2013, 10:51 PM
Actually, the widening of that curve is to accommodate bike lanes, something the city has committed itself to, along with its insistence on retaining the four lane configuration. All the NCC cares about is that their Confederation Boulevard aesthetics are overlayed on it. They own those properties but the city is in charge of the roadway standard.

Cre47
Jun 25, 2013, 11:05 PM

That is pretty close to where a cyclist got killed by a bus a few years ago.

rocketphish
Jun 26, 2013, 2:05 AM

Seriously?

Committee passes $1.2M cost to move buildings

By Jon Willing, Ottawa Sun

First posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:23 AM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:30 AM EDT

The planning committee Tuesday approved spending $1.2 million to relocate two residential buildings on Sussex Dr. to make way for a road realignment.

Council will get the final say Wednesday.

The single-family home at 273 Sussex Dr. and the other residential building at 275-279 Sussex Dr. are owned by the National Capital Commission.

The current road alignment doesn't meet safety standards. A $30-million realignment project is in the works, but the buildings are in the way.

Council refused demolition of the buildings because of their heritage value, so the next-best option is relocating the buildings east on the lots.

Cumberland Coun. Stephen Blais said he didn't understand why the city is paying to move the NCC's buildings when the NCC hasn't budged on other city requests. Kanata South Coun. Allan Hubley also questioned why city taxpayers are being billed for the relocations.

Both councillors voted against the request, but the rest of the committee voted in favour.

brentgaulois
Jun 26, 2013, 3:01 AM
Committee passes $1.2M cost to move buildings

By Jon Willing, Ottawa Sun

First posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:23 AM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:30 AM EDT

The planning committee Tuesday approved spending $1.2 million to relocate two residential buildings on Sussex Dr. to make way for a road realignment.

Council will get the final say Wednesday.

The single-family home at 273 Sussex Dr. and the other residential building at 275-279 Sussex Dr. are owned by the National Capital Commission.

The current road alignment doesn't meet safety standards. A $30-million realignment project is in the works, but the buildings are in the way.

Council refused demolition of the buildings because of their heritage value, so the next-best option is relocating the buildings east on the lots.

Cumberland Coun. Stephen Blais said he didn't understand why the city is paying to move the NCC's buildings when the NCC hasn't budged on other city requests. Kanata South Coun. Allan Hubley also questioned why city taxpayers are being billed for the relocations.

Both councillors voted against the request, but the rest of the committee voted in favour.

It sounds like after losing the chance to demolish these buildings, the NCC refused to give up and found another reason that would allow them to widen the road.

J.OT13
Jun 26, 2013, 4:32 PM
This is just stupid. There is no reason why we should pay to move these buildings (and no reason why we are keeping them either, the NCC will continue to neglect them and eventually tear them down for safety reasons, oh and... not historic!) and I assume we will foot the bill for the roadwork. Also not our problem.

Kitchissippi
Jun 26, 2013, 4:50 PM
This is just stupid. There is no reason why we should pay to move these buildings (and no reason why we are keeping them either, the NCC will continue to neglect them and eventually tear them down for safety reasons, oh and... not historic!) and I assume we will foot the bill for the roadwork. Also not our problem.

The media is doing a great job at misinformation on this issue just to get people riled up against the NCC. The truth is the City designed the roadway and presented the NCC with the option to demolish the properties, to which the NCC agreed. THe City then contradicted itself when its heritage committee insisted that the properties be preserved. The NCC probably would have accepted a 2 or 3 lane design (like farther down past the Rideau River, but the city has this section of Sussex on their books as a major arterial and bike route and wants the road widened. In fact the NCC asked the City to study lane reductions:
http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/sites/default/files/pubs/2.1_english_2012-d10e_-_confederation_boulevard_-_king_edward_to_stpatrick.pdf

Turning the tables around, why should the NCC pay to move the buildings which it doesn't want anyway (because in their original plan they want Sussex reserved for embassies and diplomatic functions, not residential), but the city's heritage committee insists on preserving? The ball is definitely in the city's court on this one, either they remove the heritage designation and demolish the properties, or dig into their pockets to move them, or redesign the road with less lanes.

teej1984
Jun 26, 2013, 5:53 PM
This is just so weird... looking on Google Maps, it seems like a natural progression from a boulevard to a slimmer city street. The curve seems like a perfectly fine place for this to happen! Oh well...

Uhuniau
Jun 26, 2013, 10:58 PM
This is just so weird... looking on Google Maps, it seems like a natural progression from a boulevard to a slimmer city street. The curve seems like a perfectly fine place for this to happen! Oh well...

If anything, the long-term plan should be to re-enstreeten that god-awful "boulevard" brutalistic ceremonial crap north of the bend. It used to be a street. It should be a street again, not a multi-lane drag strip with ugly, brutalistic, pompous, soul-sucking ceremonial buildings lining it.

rocketphish
Jun 27, 2013, 2:35 AM
Century-old church to be sold, possibly replaced by condos

By Drake Fenton, OTTAWA CITIZEN June 26, 2013 7:07 PM

OTTAWA — It was the birthplace of Vanier’s francophone community and was the home of secret societies and Christian paramilitary groups, but when the 105-year-old Saint-Charles Church is put up for sale this fall, a reminder of all that history might be replaced by condo buildings.

The church has been vacant for the past three years and while the building hasn’t officially been listed for sale, according to Kevin Beach, a vicar with the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Ottawa, the parish responsible for the church has asked to sell the property.

Beach would not discuss who might be interested in the site, but the development company Domicile has expressed interest in purchasing the building. Domicile is building a 10-storey condominium building on Beechwood Avenue, three blocks east of the church.

“We are interested in the site and have no information about who else might be,” said Domicile’s senior vice-president David Chick in an email. “We are not ‘in discussion’ with the church, but we have been in contact with the Archdiocese to let them know we are interested when they are ready to sell.”

It might be too soon to say whether condos spring up at the Saint Charles site, but according to a city official who was involved in the planning process, two years ago there was a plan to preserve a portion of the church’s architecture to be used as a mixed-used space, with condo buildings wrapped around the perimeter.

But negotiations with the developer broke down because of a “personal” reason, the city official said.

“The parish committee looked at some projects,” Beach said, “But it didn’t work out. Let’s just put it that way.”

But now, Beach said, he doesn’t believe that any of the church’s structure will be kept. “I can’t imagine a developer wanting to keep that building on the site,” he said.

The possibility of the church disappearing has some Vanier residents worried.

“We don’t prefer one type of project in particular, but the only important thing is the preservation of the building,” said Yanick Labossière, the exhibition manager at the Vanier Museopark. “If only the front of the church can be saved, we can live with that. We want to preserve the history of the church and the significance it has for Vanier.”

Labossière explained that the church helped to create and maintain a lasting francophone community in the Vanier area. He said the church’s former priest François-Xavier Barrette created the Order of Jacques-Cartier, a secret society based out of Saint Charles and dedicated to defending Canada’s francophones. The all-male society dissolved in 1965, but at its peak it was estimated to have more than 11,000 members across Canada.

Despite its history, Labossière said, the church was never designated a heritage location because it went through massive interior renovations in the 1960s that disqualified it from heritage status.

And renovations are at the root of the problem today. The principal reason the church is being sold is because of upkeep costs.

“The church costs a lot of money to maintain,” Labossière said. “The renovations needed to get the building up to date would cost more than $1 million.”

Those costs paired with an expensive listing price — a real estate agent who has sold properties along Beechwood said he estimates the church will be listed somewhere near $2 million — have other Vanier residents considering their options if the church is demolished.

“The development opportunity for a condo isn’t a bad thing,” said Janak Alford, a designer for a non-profit company who will be presenting at a Vanier community meeting Wednesday night on different ways the church could be redeveloped. “These developments can become significantly richer if we think how we can make a community within the building itself.”

Alford said a new development can still carry on the tradition of the church as a community gathering point. He said the options are wide-ranging, from installing a space where local events could be held to creating an artists’ loft where residents can display their art.

But Labossière is not sure any of that could make up for what would be lost.

“This would be devastating for Vanier’s francophones,” he said. “This church is much more than a brick structure. It represents the memory of a people that has long had to fight for its survival.”

dfenton@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/drakefenton
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Century+church+sold+possibly+replaced+condos/8583590/story.html#ixzz2XNdEJoTD

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/cms/binary/8583591.jpg

J.OT13
Jun 27, 2013, 3:30 AM
DESIGNATE HISTORIC NOW!!!

God damn! Move a few shit buildings from Sussex, move a bland building at Lansdowne, save a shell of a former school at the back of the Market, save some horse racing track but knock down an architectural masterpiece of a historic department store and a church that was once the heart of the francophone population in Ottawa.

These idiots royally piss me off! Oh! two more "historic" things protected for no apparent reason; the monarch and the senate. How much can we save by knocking down those obsolete institutions?

JackBauer24
Jun 27, 2013, 12:29 PM
Is this the same church that either had a fire or was affected by an earthquake 5 years ago or so?

Century-old church to be sold, possibly replaced by condos

By Drake Fenton, OTTAWA CITIZEN June 26, 2013 7:07 PM

OTTAWA — It was the birthplace of Vanier’s francophone community and was the home of secret societies and Christian paramilitary groups, but when the 105-year-old Saint-Charles Church is put up for sale this fall, a reminder of all that history might be replaced by condo buildings.

The church has been vacant for the past three years and while the building hasn’t officially been listed for sale, according to Kevin Beach, a vicar with the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Ottawa, the parish responsible for the church has asked to sell the property.

Beach would not discuss who might be interested in the site, but the development company Domicile has expressed interest in purchasing the building. Domicile is building a 10-storey condominium building on Beechwood Avenue, three blocks east of the church.

“We are interested in the site and have no information about who else might be,” said Domicile’s senior vice-president David Chick in an email. “We are not ‘in discussion’ with the church, but we have been in contact with the Archdiocese to let them know we are interested when they are ready to sell.”

It might be too soon to say whether condos spring up at the Saint Charles site, but according to a city official who was involved in the planning process, two years ago there was a plan to preserve a portion of the church’s architecture to be used as a mixed-used space, with condo buildings wrapped around the perimeter.

But negotiations with the developer broke down because of a “personal” reason, the city official said.

“The parish committee looked at some projects,” Beach said, “But it didn’t work out. Let’s just put it that way.”

But now, Beach said, he doesn’t believe that any of the church’s structure will be kept. “I can’t imagine a developer wanting to keep that building on the site,” he said.

The possibility of the church disappearing has some Vanier residents worried.

“We don’t prefer one type of project in particular, but the only important thing is the preservation of the building,” said Yanick Labossière, the exhibition manager at the Vanier Museopark. “If only the front of the church can be saved, we can live with that. We want to preserve the history of the church and the significance it has for Vanier.”

Labossière explained that the church helped to create and maintain a lasting francophone community in the Vanier area. He said the church’s former priest François-Xavier Barrette created the Order of Jacques-Cartier, a secret society based out of Saint Charles and dedicated to defending Canada’s francophones. The all-male society dissolved in 1965, but at its peak it was estimated to have more than 11,000 members across Canada.

Despite its history, Labossière said, the church was never designated a heritage location because it went through massive interior renovations in the 1960s that disqualified it from heritage status.

And renovations are at the root of the problem today. The principal reason the church is being sold is because of upkeep costs.

“The church costs a lot of money to maintain,” Labossière said. “The renovations needed to get the building up to date would cost more than $1 million.”

Those costs paired with an expensive listing price — a real estate agent who has sold properties along Beechwood said he estimates the church will be listed somewhere near $2 million — have other Vanier residents considering their options if the church is demolished.

“The development opportunity for a condo isn’t a bad thing,” said Janak Alford, a designer for a non-profit company who will be presenting at a Vanier community meeting Wednesday night on different ways the church could be redeveloped. “These developments can become significantly richer if we think how we can make a community within the building itself.”

Alford said a new development can still carry on the tradition of the church as a community gathering point. He said the options are wide-ranging, from installing a space where local events could be held to creating an artists’ loft where residents can display their art.

But Labossière is not sure any of that could make up for what would be lost.

“This would be devastating for Vanier’s francophones,” he said. “This church is much more than a brick structure. It represents the memory of a people that has long had to fight for its survival.”

dfenton@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/drakefenton
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Century+church+sold+possibly+replaced+condos/8583590/story.html#ixzz2XNdEJoTD

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/cms/binary/8583591.jpg

Capital Shaun
Jun 27, 2013, 1:50 PM
Is this the same church that either had a fire or was affected by an earthquake 5 years ago or so?

No. That church was in Québec. This one is in Vanier.

Capital Shaun
Jun 27, 2013, 1:56 PM

God damn! Move a few shit buildings from Sussex, move a bland building at Lansdowne, save a shell of a former school at the back of the Market, save some horse racing track but knock down an architectural masterpiece of a historic department store and a church that was once the heart of the francophone population in Ottawa.

These idiots royally piss me off! Oh! two more "historic" things protected for no apparent reason; the monarch and the senate. How much can we save by knocking down those obsolete institutions?

I agree. I see little point in protecting buildings that are falling appart due to years (or decades) of neglect. But this church looks to be in decent shape. It should probably be saved and maybe turn it into a community center of some sort. For example the old Immaculata High School building at 211 Bronson, built in 1928, has been converted to house non-profits and community services.

Acajack
Jun 27, 2013, 2:44 PM
I agree. I see little point in protecting buildings that are falling appart due to years (or decades) of neglect. But this church looks to be in decent shape. It should probably be saved and maybe turn it into a community center of some sort. For example the old Immaculata High School building at 211 Bronson, built in 1928, has been converted to house non-profits and community services.

St-Charles is in pretty good shape I'd say though in need of renovations. It only closed in 2010.

Acajack
Jun 27, 2013, 2:45 PM
No. That church was in Québec. This one is in Vanier.

It was St-Paul in Aylmer. Destroyed by an arsonist.

JackBauer24
Jun 27, 2013, 3:23 PM

Right, that's the one.
Thanks.

Kibb
Jun 27, 2013, 3:42 PM

What a pretty building, ya that shouldn't be knocked down.

You had me on the rest of the points til the monarchy, I can't possibly fathom how that would save us anything... I can only imagine the boondoggle that would end up. You'd have to add a presidency, or make the governor general a presidency in all but name. Since you couldn't have the leader of a party in the commons literally pick the head of state, you'd be adding elections for sure.

Nevermind the constitutional cans of worms opened up, how much that would all cost, what you end up with in the end. Count me out on that whole charade.

Norman Bates
Jun 27, 2013, 4:17 PM

You had me on the rest of the points til the monarchy, I can't possibly fathom how that would save us anything... I can only imagine the boondoggle that would end up. You'd have to add a presidency, or make the governor general a presidency in all but name. Since you couldn't have the leader of a party in the commons literally pick the head of state, you'd be adding elections for sure.

Nevermind the constitutional cans of worms opened up, how much that would all cost, what you end up with in the end. Count me out on that whole charade.

Mom says let's wait and see what Australia does - and then copy them like the self-respecting country we are.

J.OT13
Jun 27, 2013, 4:19 PM

Fair enough, we don't have to support the Monarchy, that's the UK's problem. Doesn't change that we (or the UK) have any use for them. Same with the GG (although if he had the power of kicking out corrupt politicians or even the PM, then we might have a use for him), same with the Senate.

But anyway, St-Charles is an important landmark in the area and could be turned into a community centre (as Capital Shaun suggested), or a theatre or whatever other useful purpose that preserves it at 100%.

Maybe if a developer bought the church and the strip mall/parking lot behind it, the city could give them more leeway or a break on taxes and/or permits when it comes to developing the strip mall/parking lot in exchange for full protection of the church.

Or, give the place full heritage designation before a developer buys it.

rocketphish
Jun 27, 2013, 5:19 PM

Or are you referring to Ste-Anne's church on Old St. Patrick St. which partially collapsed in 2009?

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/part-of-church-collapses-in-lowertown-1.385726

kevinbottawa
Jun 27, 2013, 5:33 PM
Windmill Developments could probably do something interesting with this building and the surrounding lands They're working on a former church in Toronto and the plan looks amazing.

kwoldtimer
Jun 27, 2013, 5:39 PM
Windmill Developments could probably do something interesting with this building and the surrounding lands They're working on a former church in Toronto and the plan looks amazing.

There are lots of good examples of church buildings being incorporated into commercial developments. The only oddity in this case is perhaps the way the church faces the side street rather than out toward Beechwood, but that is nothing insurmountable.

Of course, the best use for the building would be as a church.

umbria27
Jun 27, 2013, 5:41 PM

I vehemently agree with this. Ottawa's historic status designation completely reactive. It only kicks in when a property is threatened.
We need a proactive study to identify historic buildings.

Capital Shaun
Jun 27, 2013, 7:07 PM
Of course, the best use for the building would be as a church.

Problem is overall church attendance in most religions has been slowly declining for the past few decades. If that trend continues expect more churches to shutdown as they consolidate. And if another religion won't take over the building then there's no point keeping it as an actual church.

OTSkyline
Jun 27, 2013, 8:21 PM
I disagree... This is a plaie old small community church (kinda ugly) and isn't much special than any other churches. The building might be in okay condition but who wants it? The churche doesn't want it, the City probably doesn't want it and the developpers definitely don't want it, so why keep it?
If it had a real special meaning (like the first and original Church in Ottawa region or the church where Celine Dion was baptised then I am all for it) , otherwise, sell it to the highest bidder and let's move on, the city has (or should have) higher priorities.

I would agree to incomporating it in the development if it was really nice or a beauty (like the First Baptist Church downtown next to Elgin/Laurier) but this one is ugly anyways.

Anyways, that's my opinion...

Acajack
Jun 27, 2013, 8:47 PM
I disagree... This is a plaie old small community church (kinda ugly) and isn't much special than any other churches. The building might be in okay condition but who wants it? The churche doesn't want it, the City probably doesn't want it and the developpers definitely don't want it, so why keep it?
If it had a real special meaning (like the first and original Church in Ottawa region or the church where Celine Dion was baptised then I am all for it) , otherwise, sell it to the highest bidder and let's move on, the city has (or should have) higher priorities.

I would agree to incomporating it in the development if it was really nice or a beauty (like the First Baptist Church downtown next to Elgin/Laurier) but this one is ugly anyways.

Anyways, that's my opinion...

I don't find this church (St-Charles) to be ugly at all.

One thing though it that it is shocking how many churches/parishes have disappeared in this part of Ottawa (Vanier-Overbrook). There used to be so many. Also shocking is the number of francophone schools there used to be: at least six by count in Vanier-Overbrook. Now I believe there is only one - granted it is a lot bigger but still... quite the change.

citydwlr
Jun 28, 2013, 2:50 AM

I have to agree with you on this. First I'd like to see it receive some sort of Heritage status though. I really do like the building, especially the bell tower.

There's a church conversion in the Annex in Toronto that looks pretty awesome, and has similar elements to Saint-Charles': The Sanctuary Lofts (http://sanctuarylofts.ca/flash.php) (requires Flash). Something like this would be pretty nice for the area, I think.

If not a condo, I can also see this as a modern library (see Library/Church conversion in Holland (http://inthralld.com/2012/06/13th-century-church-converted-to-modern-day-library-in-holland/)) - Not sure if the area needs or has one... On a side note, I'd love to see some of the libraries in this city incorporate a 3D-Printing/fabrication studio (maybe this one could be the first ;) ).

S-Man
Jun 28, 2013, 5:16 AM

You forgot the church heritage preservation saga's connection to the Rob Ford fiasco, too. ;)

But seriously - I find history alluring and cool, and condos a reality of life that can go anywhere, really. If this is the birthplace of Vanier Francophonism (?), designate it and find a way to keep the structure intact.

I'm thinking maybe that too many people have tried to designate anything 'old' as 'heritage' in past battles, causing the meaning and significance of heritage to become watered down and confused.

Heritage views, heritage grass, heritage this and that....

waterloowarrior
Jun 28, 2013, 4:40 PM
News from earlier this year... not sure if the offer went through

Beth Shalom synagogue has conditionally sold its land at Rideau and Chapel streets to a subsidiary of Trinity Development Group (previously sale to Claridge fell through)
http://jewishottawa.com/page.aspx?id=262070

Congregation Beth Shalom has entered into a new agreement to sell its building at 151-153 Chapel Street in downtown Ottawa to Trinity Properties Investments Inc. The potential sale comes about two months after it was revealed that Claridge Homes had walked away from its offer to buy the property, which was announced with great fanfare in November 2011.

The terms of the sale to Trinity are expected to be similar to the original Claridge deal, which had been announced as a base price of about $15 million with possibly up to an additional $9 million to be paid depending on possible zoning changes to the property.

“Trinity is currently in a 90-day conditional period to conduct its due diligence,” wrote Beth Shalom President Ian Sherman in a letter to congregation members, which he also made available to the Ottawa Jewish Bulletin. “When Trinity waives conditions, Congregation Beth Shalom will then have a period of 30 days to approve this new agreement of purchase and sale.”

Sherman said a special general meeting of Beth Shalom members will then be held sometime between May 9 and 25 for members to approve the purchase.

If the sale is approved, the closing date will be December 31, 2013, after which the Conservative congregation will have 60 days to remove religious, historical or sentimental items from the building, which was also home to the Jewish Community Centre before 1998.

here are the previous plans Claridge had for the site..
http://www.cbre.ca/o/torontonorth/AssetLibrary/151Chapel_brochure.pdf

J.OT13
Jun 28, 2013, 4:54 PM
Beth Shalom synagogue has conditionally sold its land at Rideau and Chapel streets to a subsidiary of Trinity Development Group (previously sale to Claridge fell through)

You're kidding me! We keep getting slapped with banal junk and fat buildings like Claridge Plaza x4 and the condo next to the Union Canada Building, but this falls through?

rocketphish
Jun 28, 2013, 5:26 PM

Nice! Maybe they could sell the plans to Trinity?

Acajack
Jun 28, 2013, 5:38 PM
But seriously - I find history alluring and cool, and condos a reality of life that can go anywhere, really. If this is the birthplace of Vanier Francophonism (?), designate it and find a way to keep the structure intact.

I don't believe that it is the birthplace of the francophonie in Vanier - Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes church on Montreal Rd near the cemetery and the Bélisle Chev Olds site is older. But it's still worth preserving the structure in some way I think.

The most significant historic event to take place at St-Charles was the foundation of the Ordre de Jacques-Cartier, a secret society that grew to hundreds if not thousands of members across Canada. Also known in common parlance as La Patente.

kevinbottawa
Jun 28, 2013, 5:46 PM
If not a condo, I can also see this as a modern library (see Library/Church conversion in Holland (http://inthralld.com/2012/06/13th-century-church-converted-to-modern-day-library-in-holland/)) - Not sure if the area needs or has one...

WOW!!! That library is beautiful!

Capital Shaun
Jun 28, 2013, 5:50 PM
I don't believe that it is the birthplace of the francophonie in Vanier - Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes church on Montreal Rd near the cemetery and the Bélisle Chev Olds site is older. But it's still worth preserving the structure in some way I think.

The property is pretty old but not the building itself. The original church bruned down in 1973 and was then completely rebuilt.

The most significant historic event to take place at St-Charles was the foundation of the Ordre de Jacques-Cartier, a secret society that grew to hundreds if not thousands of members across Canada. Also known in common parlance as La Patente.

And you've given me something to read up on. I had forgotten about La Patente.

Capital Shaun
Jun 28, 2013, 5:53 PM
...I can also see this as a modern library (see Library/Church conversion in Holland (http://inthralld.com/2012/06/13th-century-church-converted-to-modern-day-library-in-holland/))...

Now that's a nice looking library!

citydwlr
Jul 1, 2013, 1:57 PM
Now that's a nice looking library!

Can't go wrong with dutch design ;)

I'd love to see a library like that one in this city, but the pessimist in me says it'll never happen. In the very least, I'd like to see a better central library put in place in the downtown core (like the central library in NYC - actually, I believe Foster and Partners is on schedule to revitalise/modernise that library now too). I thought there was talk of moving the one on Bank to the old Technical High School? They decided to make small adjustments to the existing library, though, did they not?

And speaking of dutch design, does anyone remember many years ago - I think in the 90s - Ottawa being honoured by Holland for our help in WWII? I thought they were going to gift us with a windmill as a token of appreciation, and the city/government turned down the gift? I vaguely recall some backlash from the public too saying the windmill would create too much noise or something (unless I'm imagining that part - or potentially the whole gifting scenario altogether)...I've searched for this story for a while, but have never been able to find any coverage of it. Provided that story was true, it's a shame it never happened...

NOWINYOW
Jul 1, 2013, 2:15 PM
Can't go wrong with dutch design ;)

And speaking of dutch design, does anyone remember many years ago - I think in the 90s - Ottawa being honoured by Holland for our help in WWII? I thought they were going to gift us with a windmill as a token of appreciation, and the city/government turned down the gift? I vaguely recall some backlash from the public too saying the windmill would create too much noise or something (unless I'm imagining that part - or potentially the whole gifting scenario altogether)...I've searched for this story for a while, but have never been able to find any coverage of it. Provided that story was true, it's a shame it never happened...

From what I remember, it was to be a rather large windmill, though more showcas than practical as far as energy generation.

One area touted was near Dows Lake. Personally, I think it would have made a great landmark. NIMBYs don't like change and have no vision, so we lost that one. Pity.

Urbanarchit
Jul 1, 2013, 5:26 PM
From what I remember, it was to be a rather large windmill, though more showcas than practical as far as energy generation.

One area touted was near Dows Lake. Personally, I think it would have made a great landmark. NIMBYs don't like change and have no vision, so we lost that one. Pity.

What sort of windmill was this? A new one or the old, Dutch type? I could just imagine seeing the older one overlooking Dow's Lake, so majestic it would have been.

Curious, what ever happened the new library? Didn't they say they didn't get enough money so they're renovating the old Main library?

Capital Shaun
Jul 2, 2013, 3:01 AM

Yep. NIMBYs helped kill the windmill.

J.OT13
Jul 2, 2013, 4:31 PM
The city wanted the Alterna Savings site for the new library, but the deal fell through. At that point, they turned in circles for a while trying to figure out a new alternative until they decided on renovating the old one as a mid-term solution.

That site has been bought out by Broccolini back in 2012 (http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Non-residential/2012-07-24/article-3037997/Broccolini-buying-Alterna-land/1). Aside from killing the dream of a new library on the site, it raises the question of when and where Alterna will move its head office once Broccolini decides to develop (possibly a tenant for PdV tower D).

As for Ottawa Tech, they recently reached a deal with the city to rezone for higher density In exchange for the playing field/park/community garden which the city will use as a park.

Deal would trade zoning change for parkland at old Ottawa Tech site

Increased building heights increases value of school board property

OTTAWA — The city is poised to approve a deal that will eventually increase residential density in a small northwest corner of Centretown, while dramatically adding new, urban park space to the downtown core.

City planners recommend raising maximum heights to 22 and 27 storeys for two buildings at the site of the former Ottawa Technical High School, according to a report going to the planning committee next week.

This deal makes the property much more attractive when the Ottawa Carleton District School Board declares the site surplus and sells it off for redevelopment. In return, city takes ownership of the school fields, which will add 0.85 hectares of much-needed park space in the area. The amendment also includes a multi-use pathway that will connect its existing east-west cycling network.

The city and the school board have long been working on this deal, but the official amendment secures the details.

“The new park will create one of the largest new public open spaces in the downtown,” according to the staff report.

The new allowable heights at the school, up from the current 18 and 23 storeys, also helps the city achieve its goals to increase density in an area that is hot for redevelopment. If approved, the new heights will be consistent with the recently approved Centretown community design plan and will match existing highrise buildings in the surrounding area.

The amendment to the city’s official plan focuses on an area identified as Upper Town, which has an irregular boundary that stretches between Bay Street and Bronson Avenue, and then Laurier Avenue at its most southern point and up to Le Breton flats.

Changes will also include the school board’s plans to build a multi-use pathway through the old technical school property to connect the city’s segregated bike lanes on Laurier to the existing multi-use pathways to the west.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Deal+would+trade+zoning+change+parkland+Ottawa+Tech+site/8555114/story.html#ixzz2XuGmfPQI

citydwlr
Jul 2, 2013, 11:47 PM
...it raises the question of when and where Alterna will move its head office ...

Alterna moved it's offices to the base of Place de Ville (at the corner of Queen and Kent) a few weeks ago I think. They had a huge shindig and were handing out freebies. I'm not sure if the old office is still populated...

J.OT13
Jul 2, 2013, 11:57 PM
Alterna moved it's offices to the base of Place de Ville (at the corner of Queen and Kent) a few weeks ago I think. They had a huge shindig and were handing out freebies. I'm not sure if the old office is still populated...

That wasn't an office they opened but a new flagship branch. The administrative offices are still in the 54,000 square foot building at the Bay/Albert/Lyon/Slater block.

citydwlr
Jul 3, 2013, 12:17 AM
That wasn't an office they opened but a new flagship branch. The administrative offices are still in the 54,000 square foot building at the Bay/Albert/Lyon/Slater block.

Ah, ok. I was wondering...didn't seem like a big enough space for them. Wishful thinking on my part ;)

NOWINYOW
Jul 3, 2013, 1:30 AM
What sort of windmill was this? A new one or the old, Dutch type? I could just imagine seeing the older one overlooking Dow's Lake, so majestic it would have been.

It would have been the old Dutch type. Certainly not one of those hideous-waste-of-money-and land-for-virtually-no-purpose types.

citydwlr
Jul 3, 2013, 1:56 AM
It would have been the old Dutch type. Certainly not one of those hideous-waste-of-money-and land-for-virtually-no-purpose types.

Sucks... Another missed opportunity in my opinion :koko: It would have made a nice addition to the Dow's Lake area, adding a much needed attraction for tourists, especially around the time of the Tulip Festival. Alternatively, if noise was an issue, the Experimental Farm would have sufficed.

I suppose it's kinda late now to retroactively accept the gift... :D

Uhuniau
Jul 3, 2013, 3:35 AM
Yep. NIMBYs helped kill the windmill.

Good thing, too, before the windmill had a chance to go rogue and start killing property values and children.

kevinbottawa
Jul 4, 2013, 3:58 PM

Are you kidding me?! I've been looking at what's being proposed on Yonge Street wondering why no one is doing stuff like that in Ottawa. If someone from Claridge is watching this forum, this proposal needs to come back NOW.

J.OT13
Jul 4, 2013, 4:21 PM
Are you kidding me?! I've been looking at what's being proposed on Yonge Street wondering why no one is doing stuff like that in Ottawa. If someone from Claridge is watching this forum, this proposal needs to come back NOW.

I don't understand why this wasn't done with the Claridge Plaza fiasco.

Urbanarchit
Jul 4, 2013, 4:44 PM

This would have been a great addition to the city... In fact, they should reconsider their assurance vie plans and do this. it's seems much better suited for a bustling area.

I'm hoping that Claridge will be upping the ante with similar projects to this. 1040 Somerset is along similar lines, so I'm wondering if they're turning over a new page for architecture in Ottawa.

J.OT13
Jul 4, 2013, 4:49 PM
This would have been a great addition to the city... In fact, they should reconsider their assurance vie plans and do this. it's seems much better suited for a bustling area.

I'm hoping that Claridge will be upping the ante with similar projects to this. 1040 Somerset is along similar lines, so I'm wondering if they're turning over a new page for architecture in Ottawa.

I still like the hotel proposal, but I would love something similar to this as opposed to the horrible condo currently proposed.

OTSkyline
Jul 5, 2013, 3:57 PM
Okay I know jealousy is a big thing but I can't but help but be jealous at all the towers and nice proposals going around in Canada while Ottawa gets poop. Case in point; Calgary. It is a little bit smaller in terms of population as Ottawa but both are pretty much the same. I was creeping their SSP page and they have several nice towers proposed for their downtown.. most of them 45, 50, 58 floors! While we have trouble getting 30 in Ottawa :(
Also, it's not just a height thing but they are getting proposals for VERY nice, intriguing and architecturally pleasing designs! Imagine seeing any of these designs in Little Italy, Bayview, Lebreton Flats or Hurdman...

I guess I can just continue dreaming...

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2805/9210162736_9729528b4c_c.jpg
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/4576/procura4pm2.jpg
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382005_379210305504251_1473311204_n.jpg

Urbanarchit
Jul 5, 2013, 9:02 PM
Okay I know jealousy is a big thing but I can't but help but be jealous at all the towers and nice proposals going around in Canada while Ottawa gets poop. Case in point; Calgary. It is a little bit smaller in terms of population as Ottawa but both are pretty much the same. I was creeping their SSP page and they have several nice towers proposed for their downtown.. most of them 45, 50, 58 floors! While we have trouble getting 30 in Ottawa :(
Also, it's not just a height thing but they are getting proposals for VERY nice, intriguing and architecturally pleasing designs! Imagine seeing any of these designs in Little Italy, Bayview, Lebreton Flats or Hurdman...

I guess I can just continue dreaming...

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2805/9210162736_9729528b4c_c.jpg

The first one makes me drool! With some of these and the Bow, Calgary is developing quite a skyline. And they've got great projects (did you see the National Music Centre of Canada's design?).

citydwlr
Jul 5, 2013, 11:26 PM
The first one makes me drool! With some of these and the Bow, Calgary is developing quite a skyline. And they've got great projects (did you see the National Music Centre of Canada's design?).

Wow! That's a nice one, for sure! Reminds me of the condo proposal from Bjarke Ingles Group for Vancouver (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5690754&postcount=8790). I didn't even know about The Bow until last week when it appeared on an architecture blog. I'd love to see a Foster & Partners building in Ottawa at some point.

McC
Jul 6, 2013, 12:08 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that the last example from YYC is frightfully ugly? Monstrous, even?

Okay...http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382005_379210305504251_1473311204_n.jpg

McC
Jul 6, 2013, 12:12 AM
Ack, I've posted it again! Look away! "It's hideous, Jerry!"

bartlebooth
Jul 6, 2013, 12:37 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that the last example from YYC is frightfully ugly? Monstrous, even?

I find the last two proposals to be 'frightfully ugly'.

Urbanarchit
Jul 6, 2013, 1:55 AM
Wow! That's a nice one, for sure! Reminds me of the condo proposal from Bjarke Ingles Group for Vancouver (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5690754&postcount=8790). I didn't even know about The Bow until last week when it appeared on an architecture blog. I'd love to see a Foster & Partners building in Ottawa at some point.

Ooh, the Bjarke Ingles Group building looks spectacular! I'm subscribed to two architecture magazines, and I'm more and more disappointed with how behind Ottawa is. Toronto, Montreal, Calgary have found their way into the pages of those mags frequently.

citydwlr
Jul 6, 2013, 2:25 AM
Ooh, the Bjarke Ingles Group building looks spectacular! I'm subscribed to two architecture magazines, and I'm more and more disappointed with how behind Ottawa is. Toronto, Montreal, Calgary have found their way into the pages of those mags frequently.

I agree. We are quickly being surpassed. And for the capital of Canada, it's sad that we're so far behind. There really isn't much emphasis placed on Design and Architecture. That said, in recent years it has been improving, it's just not improving quick enough.

One thing that really bugs me is that we don't have anything by Frank Gehry in Ottawa - no art or architecture whatsoever. The guy isn't getting any younger, and he's arguably Canada's most prolific/sought-after architect (or art-chitect, I suppose is more accurate). Toronto keeps pulling in more projects from his studio, and whatever your opinion is regarding his work, it brings in a lot of interest. I can't tell you how many news outlets, blogs, and magazines have talked about his latest projects. It's not only exposure for the architect and his work, but also for the city. When was the last time a building in Ottawa was featured in one of those publications?

rocketphish
Jul 6, 2013, 2:49 AM
I agree. We are quickly being surpassed.

Surpassed? That implies Ottawa was once ahead of one of these other cities, and I'm not sure that it ever was.

Urbanarchit
Jul 6, 2013, 4:31 AM
Surpassed? That implies Ottawa was once ahead of one of these other cities, and I'm not sure that it ever was.

Well... Do the Parliament Buildings count? I'm sure we were ahead of other cities in terms of beautiful architecture when they were constructed, in the mid-1800s, right?

But to be serious, I feel like we had SOME buildings many decades ago that people fawned over when they were built. It's just been so long ago that we've fallen into obscurity.

Actually... we do have some nice projects. Have you seen the Delegation of Ismaili Imamat (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheldef/8963603278/in/photostream/)? Sadly, I didn't get a good frontal picture (and they seem a bit grey), but you can see the photos I took when I visited during Doors Open Ottawa. It's a really nice building on Sussex.

The architect was Fumihiko Maki, who also did this iconic building in Aoyama:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Spiral-Building-Aoyama-00.jpg

Urbanarchit
Jul 6, 2013, 4:44 AM
I agree. We are quickly being surpassed. And for the capital of Canada, it's sad that we're so far behind. There really isn't much emphasis placed on Design and Architecture. That said, in recent years it has been improving, it's just not improving quick enough.

One thing that really bugs me is that we don't have anything by Frank Gehry in Ottawa - no art or architecture whatsoever. The guy isn't getting any younger, and he's arguably Canada's most prolific/sought-after architect (or art-chitect, I suppose is more accurate). Toronto keeps pulling in more projects from his studio, and whatever your opinion is regarding his work, it brings in a lot of interest. I can't tell you how many news outlets, blogs, and magazines have talked about his latest projects. It's not only exposure for the architect and his work, but also for the city. When was the last time a building in Ottawa was featured in one of those publications?

Former prime ministers like Laurier and Mackenzie King dreamed of Ottawa becoming a marvelous, modern capital (and then hired Gréber to do the opposite). I wish our governments and developers had their same hopes to see this city as a marvelous place, with incredible buildings features in architectural magazines, encouraging archi-tourism to see those buildings, and not the typical tourist fare.

I'll be honest, I'm not too surprised there isn't much emphasis on architecture and design - not to put Ottawa down, as I love it and moved back here from Montreal and Toronto - but aren't we the city that fun forgot, and the city in Canada with the least arts funding? The fact that buildings are mediocre (or worse) is heartbreaking. While this may be overly optimistic and perhaps naïve, it's for that reason that I'm switching programs and hoping to get into architecture: to somehow contribute buildings this city needs desperately.

We have several prolific architects that we should have buildings from here. Hell! We fawn over Canadian works of art and collect them all, but we don't have architecture and public spaces designed by famous Canadian architects? I find some of Gehry's work to be a bit too much/ busy, like the condo towers he's proposed for Toronto (I know, heresy!), but I love the office building he did on West 19th Street:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q1E9VbKJ9QY/TU2qp-A50LI/AAAAAAAAAG0/we8n_pZwWqQ/s400/diller%2Bhq.jpg

Actually, a shout-out to the building across from this one in New York, 100 11th Avenue:
http://archpaper.com/uploads/image/Nouvel11thRound.jpg

This one is really nice as well; and one that receives little attention, just behind this building is one by Shigeru Ban.

Personally, I love Shigeru Ban's stuff more than Gehry's and would love to see some of his stuff in Ottawa. If you don't know who he is, definitely check him out as his designs and materials are fascinating. Here is my favourite of his, the GC Osaka building:

http://facetstudio.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/101123_0011.jpg

(Geez, there's just so many buildings, I want to post them all. We should make a thread where we can share buildings we like and would love to see in Ottawa).

Skyway
Jul 6, 2013, 12:05 PM
http://www.obj.ca/Real%20Estate/Non-residential/2013-07-05/article-3302301/Claridge-proposes-demolishing-Union-of-Canada-building/1

Would like to see the end of this building in the Market.

S-Man
Jul 6, 2013, 1:51 PM
but aren't we the city that fun forgot, and the city in Canada with the lost arts funding?

There's a moratorium on all monies to be spent on art in Ottawa? Just Ottawa? I kinda still see artsy stuff happening. Must be my eyes. Grants are still available, private artists are still plentiful, and the city sets aside one percent of cash on infrastructure projects to commission public art displays. Also, there are galleries and concerts, festivals, etc, etc.

As for 'the city that fun forgot', ever hear the saying "Only boring people complain of being bored"? What's missing? What CAN'T you do right now?

Nice buildings are nice to look at, and are a great asset, but they won't magically transform a population into a city of gregarious, free-wheeling party animals.

Sorry, but sometimes it just gets to the point where I have to question these typical hyperbolic complaints.

J.OT13
Jul 6, 2013, 2:49 PM
Former prime ministers like Laurier and Mackenzie King dreamed of Ottawa becoming a marvelous, modern capital (and then hired Gréber to do the opposite). I wish our governments and developers had their same hopes to see this city as a marvelous place, with incredible buildings features in architectural magazines, encouraging archi-tourism to see those buildings, and not the typical tourist fare.

I'll be honest, I'm not too surprised there isn't much emphasis on architecture and design - not to put Ottawa down, as I love it and moved back here from Montreal and Toronto - but aren't we the city that fun forgot, and the city in Canada with the lost arts funding? The fact that buildings are mediocre (or worse) is heartbreaking. While this may be overly optimistic and perhaps naïve, it's for that reason that I'm switching programs and hoping to get into architecture: to somehow contribute buildings this city needs desperately.

We have several prolific architects that we should have buildings from here. Hell! We fawn over Canadian works of art and collect them all, but we don't have architecture and public spaces designed by famous Canadian architects? I find some of Gehry's work to be a bit too much/ busy, like the condo towers he's proposed for Toronto (I know, heresy!), but I love the office building he did on West 19th Street:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q1E9VbKJ9QY/TU2qp-A50LI/AAAAAAAAAG0/we8n_pZwWqQ/s400/diller%2Bhq.jpg

Looks like the proposed Iraqi Embassy across from the Museum of Nature.

Harley613
Jul 6, 2013, 3:37 PM
I pass the Gehry 'sails' building all the time when i'm in Chelsea and it's my least favourite of all his work. Something about the cladding makes it look cheap and weird.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fd/IAC_building.jpg/452px-IAC_building.jpg

I would love to see some more striking architecture in Ottawa but I'll skip stuff like that :p We need some more Moshe Safdie!!

Urbanarchit
Jul 6, 2013, 4:00 PM
There's a moratorium on all monies to be spent on art in Ottawa? Just Ottawa? I kinda still see artsy stuff happening. Must be my eyes. Grants are still available, private artists are still plentiful, and the city sets aside one percent of cash on infrastructure projects to commission public art displays. Also, there are galleries and concerts, festivals, etc, etc.

As for 'the city that fun forgot', ever hear the saying "Only boring people complain of being bored"? What's missing? What CAN'T you do right now?

Nice buildings are nice to look at, and are a great asset, but they won't magically transform a population into a city of gregarious, free-wheeling party animals.

Sorry, but sometimes it just gets to the point where I have to question these typical hyperbolic complaints.

I misspelled that line: "least arts funding". Didn't Ottawa cut arts funding so that now we have the lowest amount of funding compared to all other cities in Canada? Having lived in Toronto and Montreal, there's still much more of an investment in arts and you can see it throughout the city, whereas Ottawa has teeny bits here and there. Montreal's Place-des-Arts has constantly changing exhibitions outside for the public. What do we have for Ottawa that's similar?

I don't agree with either expression. Sure, you can find your own fun and if you're fun then you have it, but there needs to be more to do. What about Montreal, Toronto, New York, etc makes them fun? I feel it's such an easy thing to say, "You're bored because you're boring" instead of realizing that maybe our city is missing a lot of things to help make us vibrant and exciting, and while we're not as boring as people tend to say, let's not kid ourselves. Consider our shopping and culinary scenes: while growing, they're happening slowly and not in several different areas, or with the sort of things that makes us special. Really, when we want great shopping or to try some sort of food we haven't had before, or another event we usually leave Ottawa for another city. A common characteristic of Ottawans is that we go often to Montreal for weekend/day trips to shop and stuff. What does it say about our city that we have to meet our needs elsewhere?

Well, buildings could. Art can have an impact on people's emotions, making them happy or sad, for example. Buildings can do the same, as architecture is art and a building is essentially a giant sculpture we live and work in. But more so, buildings capture the zeitgeist of our times and culture. While I'm willing to admit some of a buildings effects on our population could be negligible if people ignore them, a building is the physical manifestation of our culture and ethos. Walking around great buildings in Montreal and Toronto transformed me, so why couldn't it do the same for Ottawa?

S-Man
Jul 6, 2013, 4:33 PM
I misspelled that line: "least arts funding". Didn't Ottawa cut arts funding so that now we have the lowest amount of funding compared to all other cities in Canada? Having lived in Toronto and Montreal, there's still much more of an investment in arts and you can see it throughout the city, whereas Ottawa has teeny bits here and there. Montreal's Place-des-Arts has constantly changing exhibitions outside for the public. What do we have for Ottawa that's similar?

I don't agree with either expression. Sure, you can find your own fun and if you're fun then you have it, but there needs to be more to do. What about Montreal, Toronto, New York, etc make them fun? I feel it's such an easy thing to say, "You're bored because you're boring" instead of realizing that maybe we're missing a lot of things to help make us vibrant and exciting. Consider our shopping and culinary scenes: while growing, they're happening slowly and not in multiple areas.

Well, buildings could. Art can have an impact on people's emotions, making them happy or sad, for example. Buildings can do the same, as architecture is art and a building is essentially a giant sculpture we live and work in. But more so, buildings capture the zeitgeist of our times and culture. While I'm willing to admit some of a buildings effects on our population could be negligible if people ignore them, a building is the physical manifestation of our culture and ethos. Walking around great buildings in Montreal and Toronto transformed me, so why couldn't it do the same for Ottawa?

The Quebec provincial government puts a lot of money into art because it's a cultural/heritage thing and a way of showcasing their nationalistic/distinct society leanings. Great for them, obviously (at least in that regard).

I don't know if Ottawa gets the least cash from the feds; if there's a study that shows that, I haven't seen it. Until I see it, it's just a rumour.

If Ottawa wants Montreal levels of provincial funding, get on the phone with Premier Wynne, but expect to be laughed at. Wynne et al have bigger things to spend money on, like transit in Toronto, debt financing.

While you addressed some of my criticisms, it's still a bit of a mystery to me as to what you want to see happen in Ottawa (ie - things that aren't happening). Sounds a bit like you like Toronto and Montreal for what they are (which is fine), and want to attend those same things here.
If it's 'theatre districts' you're looking for, then I'm sorry, but you'll have to go to a theatre district city for those, like the three cities you specifically mentioned.

There are culinary things happening, possibly more widespread than you realize, but you'll have to dig for it. I'm not sure of any culinary masterpieces being created in Beaconsfield and Vaughan, so your 'widespread' label tacked onto those cities confused me.

Example - did you know about the Brewery Market/Mashup event happening tomorrow (July7), featuring former Torontonians who are honing their craft in Ottawa?

http://www.ottawabeerevents.ca/

Culture! Creativity! Humans honing a craft! People taking initiative! No federal funding! There are many types of things like this happening.

It's on a smaller scale, for sure, but unless you're looking for Cirque de Soleil, Les Miserables, and massive parades all the time that's what you normally get out of any city.

I'd say there are more things to do in Ottawa now than even a few years ago

citydwlr
Jul 6, 2013, 4:36 PM
I find some of Gehry's work to be a bit too much/ busy, like the condo towers he's proposed for Toronto

Actually, I agree with you. Some of his works aren't always the most appealing. That said, I do sorta like the buildings in Toronto ;)

He's done some landscape and public art stuff too, and I think, in the very least, Ottawa could/should support that. Chicago's reflective "bean" (Cloud Gate by Anish Kapoor) and the surrounding Millenium Park designed by Gehry is a perfect example. That park alone brings in a tonne of visitors every year; it's one of that city's most defining features. A couple years ago Ottawa brought in the mayor of Chicago to get his take on how to improve Ottawa...I forget what his comments were, but it was an interesting read. If I find the article, I'll post it (unless someone else knows where it might be - has it been mentioned before in this forum?).

Ottawa has brought in some pretty cool public art recently, so that's definitely great to see. In general I'd just like to see Ottawa put a higher stake on Design and Architecture and create those landmarks that people talk about. That's just my opinion, though.

Oh, and yes Shiguru Ban's stuff is awesome too :) His Nine Bridges Golf Clubhouse is pretty impressive as are his paper structures.

@Harley613 Safdie's got a building (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5296282&postcount=94) ("Mondial") going up ...unfortunately it's in Toronto and not Ottawa - but it looks quite nice!

JackBauer24
Jul 6, 2013, 8:01 PM
Sorry, your comment was a little ambiguous - are you in favour of that Claridge concept? If so, what is so different and unique about it that Ottawa needs to adopt now?

JackBauer24
Jul 6, 2013, 8:04 PM
The top portion looks like a lower-case 'N'. Maybe this is the builders 14th building and they've moving through the alphabet.

JackBauer24
Jul 6, 2013, 8:09 PM
We've improved more with our designs over the last 2-3 years than ever. I'm not a huge fan of the Icon, but at least it's different than 99% of the other proposals. Soho Italia's proposal is gorgeous - they did an excellent job with the twisting balconies. Right now, that is the only proposal from Ottawa that should be featured in any national news story.

As more people in Ottawa buy condos for themselves, instead of investment, they will start caring more and more about the aesthetics of the building and force the architects to get more creative.

citydwlr
Jul 6, 2013, 9:43 PM
We've improved more with our designs over the last 2-3 years than ever. I'm not a huge fan of the Icon, but at least it's different than 99% of the other proposals. Soho Italia's proposal is gorgeous - they did an excellent job with the twisting balconies. Right now, that is the only proposal from Ottawa that should be featured in any national news story.

As more people in Ottawa buy condos for themselves, instead of investment, they will start caring more and more about the aesthetics of the building and force the architects to get more creative.

I can't argue with that. And as much as I'm not a fan of Claridge (based on many of their previous works), I do have to agree that they are helping to raise the bar of architectural design from what has previously been done in Ottawa, at least in terms of Condos. Soho Italia, assuming the original plans go through, seems like a much more cohesive/integrated structure, so I'm happy to see that kind of design being done here. I think most of the recent condo designs have been from local (Ottawa and Ontario) or national (Canada) design firms - and that' great! I'm all for supporting Canadian talent/business. But, I also don't think it would hurt to branch out to firms from other countries to inject some alternative-thinking to the city's landscape. I don't know if that'll ever happen, but I remain hopeful.

kevinbottawa
Jul 8, 2013, 3:26 PM
Deux tours de 33 étages au coeur de Gatineau

PATRICK DUQUETTE
Le Droit

Le Groupe Heafey a remanié de fond en comble son projet de 300 millions de dollars au centre-ville de Gatineau, a appris LeDroit.

Le vaste complexe résidentiel et commercial comptera seulement deux tours d'habitation sur la rue Wellington, au lieu des trois prévues à l'origine. Ces deux tours seront cependant plus hautes. Elles compteront 33 étages chacune, par rapport aux trois tours de 29, 25 et 22 étages des plans originaux.

Le complexe ajoutera 960 nouveaux logements au centre-ville, soit un peu moins que les 1200 prévus au départ.

Le changement de zonage doit être approuvé ce soir par le comité consultatif d'urbanisme (CCU). Il vise à hausser la limite actuelle de 12 étages sur les terrains appartenant à Heafey et à son partenaire, le Groupe Marc Dubé. Quant à l'architecture comme telle du projet, elle devra faire l'objet d'une approbation ultérieure du CCU.

C'est à la demande de la Ville de Gatineau - et pas de gaieté de coeur - que le groupe Heafey a dû modifier ses plans d'origine ces dernières semaines. Le service d'urbanisme a changé son fusil d'épaule, le 10 juin dernier, en indiquant au promoteur qu'il ne voulait plus d'une tour à l'angle des rues Wellington et Eddy, comme exigé au départ.

Pour satisfaire les nouvelles exigences de la Ville, Heafey a remanié ses plans à toute vapeur. L'emplacement des tours a été modifié et, au final, c'est toute la volumétrie du projet qui a changé. Les deux tours s'élèvent maintenant au centre de l'ensemble immobilier plutôt qu'en périphérie. Le projet est désormais pensé en fonction d'une structure «en basilaire» similaire à celle d'une pyramide.

Le président de l'Association des résidents de l'Île de Hull (ARIH), François Zarraga, juge que le projet est encore mieux qu'au départ. «Notre association avait déjà donné son aval au premier projet de Heafey et celui-ci satisfait encore davantage nos critères. On verra encore moins les tours de cette manière», dit-il.

Le Groupe Heafey, lui, est convaincu que son projet obtiendra le consentement du CCU, mais également de la population de Gatineau. «Lundi (ce soir), c'est là qu'on va voir s'il y a une vraie volonté politique de densifier le centre-ville de Gatineau. La balle est maintenant dans le camp de la Ville», dit Charles Masse, vice-président aux opérations et développement du Groupe Heafey.

Très courts délais

Heafey a appris seulement le 10 juin dernier qu'il devait modifier ses plans en prévision de la réunion du comité consultatif d'urbanisme d'aujourd'hui. «Des fonctionnaires de la Ville ont décidé qu'ils avaient changé d'idée et que la tour la plus haute ne devait plus se trouver à l'angle de Eddy et Wellington, mais bien au centre du projet. Notre première réaction a été la stupéfaction parce qu'on avait travaillé neuf mois sur les plans. Mais on s'est retroussé les manches et on arrive aujourd'hui avec un projet qu'on considère encore meilleur que l'ancien.»

Le fait que les tours soient centrées favorise un meilleur ensoleillement du quartier et une meilleure circulation du vent. «Au niveau visuel, c'est également plus intéressant parce que ça favorise des bâtiments en basilaires. Les chandelles vont être au centre du projet plutôt qu'en façade», explique Charles Masse.

Les tours d'habitations de Heafey s'élèveront à une hauteur de 340 pieds. C'est de 40 à 50 pieds plus bas que la plus haute tour à bureaux des Terrasses de la Chaudière, située juste en face, de l'autre côté de la rue Wellington. Rappelons que Heafey avait proposé d'installer la future bibliothèque centrale de Gatineau dans son vaste complexe, mais l'idée a été abandonnée en cours de route.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/actualites/ville-de-gatineau/201307/08/01-4668701-deux-tours-de-33-etages-au-coeur-de-gatineau.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_vous_suggere_4668705_article_POS1

drawarc
Jul 9, 2013, 12:15 AM
Not sure if already posted, proposed 12 storey apt. building on St. Laurent north of Montreal Rd.
OBJ article:http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Residential/2013-07-08/article-3306918/Brigil-inches-ahead-with-St.-Laurent-apartment-project/1
Development application:http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__861MQF

rocketphish
Jul 9, 2013, 1:39 AM
Not sure if already posted, proposed 12 storey apt. building on St. Laurent north of Montreal Rd.
OBJ article:http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Residential/2013-07-08/article-3306918/Brigil-inches-ahead-with-St.-Laurent-apartment-project/1
Development application:http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__861MQF

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=200032

rocketphish
Jul 10, 2013, 4:54 PM
Carling building finally coming down

Published on July 10, 2013
OBJ Staff

After sitting empty for four years, a decrepit federal office building near Dow’s Lake is finally being dismantled, according to Public Works.

The demolition of the Sir John Carling Building, once home to approximately 1,200 federal bureaucrats, was held up as government officials determined what to do with the property.

This summer, workers from AIM Waste Management Inc. are inside the building performing “removal and separation of all fixtures and building materials,” Public Works stated in an e-mail to OBJ.

The company, which has a $4.8 million contract to demolish the building, began interior work in March and has so far been meeting timelines, Public Works added.

“This portion of the project does take time and effort, with few external visible results; however, deconstruction of the building in such a manner will help preserve heritage elements as well as provide the opportunity for the proper disposal of construction material, diverting the maximum possible volume of waste from local landfills,” Public Works stated.

“PWGSC can confirm that the project is on time and the final phase of the deconstruction of the building should begin as scheduled in fall 2013.”

Constructed in 1967, the Sir John Carling Building - which contains 431,250 square feet in an 11-storey tower and two lowrise annexes - was rated in “poor” condition only 31 years after it opened. It was emptied in 2009 and was initially supposed to be torn down in 2010.

In 2011, Public Works officials said the delay was due to design changes, principally because of a desire to keep the west annex and to shift the property’s custody to Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.

Once the main building is gone, which should happen by 2015, the property will be transferred to Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Construction/2013-07-10/article-3308017/Carling-building-finally-coming-down/1

http://www.obj.ca/media/photos/unis/2011/09/13/photo_1844686_resize.jpg

OTSkyline
Jul 10, 2013, 5:12 PM
Oooouuu.... Prime development lands near Dow's lake and Little Italy. Which developer will nab this parcel of paradise up? It's a pretty big complex so there are a lot of opportunies.. Especially with everything happening in the area.

Excited to see what will happen and see proposals for here.

kevinbottawa
Jul 10, 2013, 6:34 PM
Oooouuu.... Prime development lands near Dow's lake and Little Italy. Which developer will nab this parcel of paradise up? It's a pretty big complex so there are a lot of opportunies.. Especially with everything happening in the area.

Excited to see what will happen and see proposals for here.

If the property is being transferred to Agriculture Canada, will there even be any private development happening there?