PDA

View Full Version : General Update/Rumour thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

m0nkyman
Apr 3, 2009, 12:26 AM
A beer store would be nice though.

Or a decent sized liquor store in the downtown core.

Rathgrith
Apr 3, 2009, 2:36 AM
^ I was just looking at the Beer Store Location Map for Centretown Ottawa and I the closest locations are at 515 SOMERSET STREET W., 20 ISABELLA STREET, and 209 RIDEAU STREET. That's fewer than I thought. It probably has something to do with anyone smart enough driving to Quebec to buy their beer.

harls
Apr 3, 2009, 12:22 PM
LCBO has 2 locations in the CBD that I can think of.. 240 Sparks and World Exchange. But yeah, that seems like sparse pickin's for liquor.

That Somerset beer store can have quite the array of clientele at times.

Ottawade
Apr 3, 2009, 1:48 PM
Going to the Somerset beerstore at 9pm on a Friday is nothing short of an adventure. Why would you ever want to give up that experience?

rodionx
Apr 3, 2009, 2:50 PM
They should take medical students to that beer store. The line-up is like a Merck manual of alcohol-related disorders. And for the truly discriminating, there's the yellow mouthwash section at Shoppers. :cheers:

Another Centretown location for wine and cider at least, is Hartman's at Bank and Somerset.

harls
Apr 3, 2009, 3:07 PM
There's a wine store in Minto Place as well, Chateau des Charmes.. it features only Niagara wines.

Acajack
Apr 3, 2009, 3:10 PM
LCBO has 2 locations in the CBD that I can think of.. 240 Sparks and World Exchange. But yeah, that seems like sparse pickin's for liquor.

That Somerset beer store can have quite the array of clientele at times.

So I guess the large LCBO at Rideau and King Edward doesn’t count as “downtown”? It’s true it’s not in the CBD. There is also an LCBO near the Beer Store at the Pretoria Bridge on Isabella. Once again, not in CBD but pretty close.

harls
Apr 3, 2009, 3:29 PM
Those locations are downtown, yes.. but not what I'd consider the 'business district'.. but that's just me.

Rathgrith
Apr 3, 2009, 5:36 PM
There's also a LCBO in the Rideau Centre.

rodionx
Apr 3, 2009, 6:48 PM
Almost forgot the Wine Rack on Elgin near Somerset. Cute place to buy a bottle and stays open a bit later.

harls
Apr 3, 2009, 8:21 PM
I love General updates :D

AuxTown
Apr 4, 2009, 12:33 AM
There's an LCBO in the building with Holt Renfrew I think. That's probably the most central of the liquor stores. It's beer stores that our downtown is lacking!

Davis137
Apr 4, 2009, 4:11 PM
Here's a sneek peak at what's happening across from Tunney's (after a LONG period of inactivity after safety fences were installed)...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Drivesthebeast/DSCF1322.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Drivesthebeast/DSCF1321.jpg

Not sure what exactly it is they are going to be doing here. I will be able to follow the progress of this jobsite closely, as it's 2 blocks from where I live, so I'll get pics up close when I walk the dog...

L8tz

Rathgrith
Apr 4, 2009, 4:32 PM
There's an LCBO in the building with Holt Renfrew I think. That's probably the most central of the liquor stores. It's beer stores that our downtown is lacking!

There's another one inside the World Exchange Plaza.

You can still buy six packs of beer through. I can hardly picture someone in a business suit carrying a 24 through downtown.

waterloowarrior
Apr 4, 2009, 8:29 PM
live maps of the soho parkway
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=rk0y8r8pp393&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=32863592&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

The http://www.sohoparkway.com/ address is password protected

registered to:

Starwood Group Inc.
5802 Bob Bullock C1 Unit 328C-195
Laredo, TX 78041-8813
US

Domain name: SOHOPARKWAY.COM

The Developer
http://www.starwoodgroup.com/profile.php

waterloowarrior
Apr 4, 2009, 8:50 PM
this is what the Toronto Soho Met looks like
http://www.sohomet.com/

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/130/322195781_50adaad1e4.jpg?v=0

http://pauljohnston.com/images/Buildingsun.jpg

Rathgrith
Apr 4, 2009, 9:34 PM
What the hell is with the SoHo moniker? This isn't New York.

Davis137
Apr 4, 2009, 11:35 PM
The location is small...I know that much. I think they plan to build 12 stories here (think that's what the construction proposal said). Either way, if this place goes through, it'll be a nice little infil project.

waterloowarrior
Apr 4, 2009, 11:49 PM
tunneys pasture masture plan (http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=83742.0;attach=26968)went on MERX recently (responses due on Monday), plan is to finish by mid-August. It would be cool if they proposed a mixed use plan, the hotel would fit well with that. . there was also a offer on jobmine for student planners to help out

Areas of Activity
As part of our Department's long-term strategic approach for the delivery of the National Capital Area (NCA) office accommodation program, the Development and Urban Planning Group has the responsibility to prepare and update portfolio-wide supply strategies. A key component of the strategy is to undertake comprehensive pre-planning work on a number of our key Crown-owned sites to ready them for development as well as to undertake ongoing property intelligence and analysis on suitable privately owned properties within the NCA. In addition, the planning team actively interacts and negotiates with senior staff of the City of Ottawa/Gatineau and National Capital Commission (NCC) with respect to the ongoing studies, plans, and initiatives generated by these organizations in order to enhance federal real property interests within the NCA.

This summer Student/Interns will be involved in a variety of tasks related to one or more of the following major projects;

- Development of a Master Plan for Tunney's Pasture-, a major employment node in Ottawa that currently accommodates approximately 10,000 federal employees;
- Development Strategy and Detailed Site Planning for Confederation Heights;
- Development Options Studies for Crown Owned Properties;
- City of Ottawa/City of Gatineau and NCC Planning Studies and Initiatives (ie,NCC's Urban Lands Master Plan);
- Research and analysis in support of real property projects.

Davis137
Apr 5, 2009, 12:47 AM
WRT what you just posted, I have heard of the plans you gathered info on. The fed's are seriously considering revamping Tunney's in a BIG way...

drawarc
Apr 5, 2009, 3:17 AM
I just clicked on http://www.sohoparkway.com/ , page opened up and showed this:

http://www.sohoparkway.com/images/intro/intro_image_01.jpg

Are they building this?

waterloowarrior
Apr 5, 2009, 3:23 AM
^ nice... it wasn't working this afternoon. I made a new thread
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=167378

adam-machiavelli
Apr 5, 2009, 4:31 AM
comment deleted

Davis137
Apr 5, 2009, 1:58 PM
Fancy rendering and all, but if they do end up building this site, it's going to be almost connected to the adjacent buildings (though it will easily dwarf both by almost double the height).

kwoldtimer
Apr 5, 2009, 9:21 PM
Whenver I went to T&L, I found it to be super expensive, especially their ski gear.

still, good news that they plan to rebuild.

Driving by today I see that what's left of T&L is already being torn down. Sure would be great for that section of Bank if the rebuild included some height and residential above the store. Apart from anything else, suppose the weak economy would make that less than likely.

phil235
Apr 6, 2009, 2:53 PM
Driving by today I see that what's left of T&L is already being torn down. Sure would be great for that section of Bank if the rebuild included some height and residential above the store. Apart from anything else, suppose the weak economy would make that less than likely.

T&L has already re-opened a smaller outlet in the old Olympic Sports store down the street in the Glebe. What was that 5 or 6 days that it took them? It definitely demonstrates their commitment to remaining in the downtown core.

It would be nice if they did something a little bigger on their old site. Between that and the big new condo development at Gladstone, the southern stretch of Bank in Centretown could get a substantial facelift.

rodionx
Apr 9, 2009, 4:57 AM
According to the newish West Side Action (http://westsideaction.blogspot.com/2009/04/vietnamese-museum-offices.html) blog, test drilling has begun on proposed site of the Vietnamese Boat People Museum at Preston and Somerset. Should be a nice addition to Chinatown if it does get built.

m0nkyman
Apr 9, 2009, 5:47 AM
T&L has already re-opened a smaller outlet in the old Olympic Sports store down the street in the Glebe. What was that 5 or 6 days that it took them? It definitely demonstrates their commitment to remaining in the downtown core.

It would be nice if they did something a little bigger on their old site. Between that and the big new condo development at Gladstone, the southern stretch of Bank in Centretown could get a substantial facelift.

Central, James St. Feed Company, Galaxy flagship, the renovation of the building at Bank and Argyle, and the street renovation from Somerset south scheduled for this year...There's lots going on at the southern end of Bank St.

Ottawade
Apr 9, 2009, 1:40 PM
Central, James St. Feed Company, Galaxy flagship, the renovation of the building at Bank and Argyle, and the street renovation from Somerset south scheduled for this year...There's lots going on at the southern end of Bank St.

I thought both the james street and the galaxy projects fell through? Even signs announcing their intent are gone...

harls
Apr 9, 2009, 1:47 PM
It looked like the James Street Feed Co. got new signage, but I haven't been around that area for a while. Maybe it was spruced up ages ago and I didn't notice.

While we're on the topic of Bank Street and T&L.. here's a couple of shots I took back on Monday of the demo site. I immediately noticed that old painted sign on the brick and thought that was interesting.

"Auction(?) Rooms, auto accessories.." what was this place?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3310/3418091649_b0f220c977_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3356/3418095251_3ee2793b84_b.jpg

Rathgrith
Apr 9, 2009, 3:45 PM
^ I saw that too when I walked by. I'm thinking it was a parts shop before T and L.

m0nkyman
Apr 9, 2009, 4:07 PM
"Auction(?) Rooms, auto accessories.." what was this place?

I would guess 'Function Rooms'...

Cre47
Apr 15, 2009, 2:25 AM
While there is the Lansdowne and Kanata proposal let's not forget about the other stadium.

Proposal music to the ears

Businessman wants to turn Ottawa Stadium into concert venue

By SHANE ROSS, SUN MEDIA

David Butler has a vision to turn Ottawa Stadium into an outdoor concert venue and eventually and multi-use sports facility. Shane Ross/ Sun Media

As city council examines unsolicited proposals for open-air stadiums in Kanata and Lansdowne Park, another local businessman hopes to resurrect his vision to turn Ottawa Stadium into an outdoor concert venue.

"I just want them to know I'm still here," said David Butler.

After the Lynx left after the 2007 season, Butler presented an unsolicited proposal to city staff that included putting a retractable or permanent roof over the stadium.

Butler, who owns the Bytown Trolley Co. and made millions when he sold the business that brought the blue bike racks to the city, said the $40-million plan would have been financed privately and not cost the city a dime.

The city would have retained ownership of the stadium and land. Butler's company, Ottawa Stadium Group, would have operated the stadium under the existing lease and shared profits with the city.

'HUGE SUCCESS'

The revenue would have come mostly from concerts.

"We did a trial run with Nickelback, and it was a huge success, 14,000 people," Butler said. "We had discussions with (promoters) Live Nation about bringing more."

Butler believes the city put off his proposal because the timing wasn't right. The city was in litigation with the Lynx, a new baseball team -- the Rapidz -- was coming in, some felt development plans should go to tender, there were concerns about traffic and the impact on residents, and they were preoccupied with other issues such as light rail.

"It was too much, too soon," Butler said. "I'm not bitter about it. If I didn't get it, it's my fault."

Now that the baseball team is gone and council has directed staff to prepare a report outlining all options for the east-end stadium, Butler hopes the timing is right this time.

START SMALL

He has informed the city of his renewed interest, but this time, he wants to start small. He wants to lease the stadium and hold five or six outdoor concerts a year -- which, using Nickelback as an example, he said would generate $350,000 each -- and eventually move toward his larger vision of a domed, state-of-the-art multi-purpose entertainment centre that could house soccer fields, a driving range, pro shops, fitness clubs and restaurants.

Orleans Coun. Bob Monette yesterday said he would have no problem with Butler's proposal as long as it could accommodate the potential return of a pro baseball team.

It could, Butler said. Balls that hit the ceiling of the dome would just have to be ruled a double.

But Butler envisions the stadium's primary function as a concert venue. He proposes increasing the seating to 12,500 from 10,300, and adding another 5,000 floor seats for concerts, bringing the total capacity to 17,500.

highdensitysprawl
Apr 15, 2009, 12:06 PM
While there is the Lansdowne and Kanata proposal let's not forget about the other stadium.

Yeah, that is just what Ottawa needs...a venue to attract the likes of Nickelback.

eemy
Apr 15, 2009, 2:47 PM
Yeah, that is just what Ottawa needs...a venue to attract the likes of Nickelback.

I know this is heading slightly off topic, but who actually likes Nickelback? I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't reacted with anything less than a very strong expression of dislike to the mention of that band.

highdensitysprawl
Apr 15, 2009, 3:00 PM
I know this is heading slightly off topic, but who actually likes Nickelback? I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't reacted with anything less than a very strong expression of dislike to the mention of that band.

My B-I-L likes them but he admits to listening to the XM Radio Top 20 channel and he also watches golf on TV (and tapes tournaments he can't watch live).

To me, they are this decade's version of Styx, Journey, REO Blahwagon, etc...instantly forgettable fluff rock.

Mille Sabords
Apr 15, 2009, 4:05 PM
My B-I-L likes them but he admits to listening to the XM Radio Top 20 channel and he also watches golf on TV (and tapes tournaments he can't watch live).

To me, they are this decade's version of Styx, Journey, REO Blahwagon, etc...instantly forgettable fluff rock.

They could rename it the Magic 100 Stadium.

Rathgrith
Apr 15, 2009, 4:09 PM

Drunk suburban/rural white girls tend to like Nickelback I find. Plus wannabe douchebags like my former roommate. He would always play "Animals". I belief that is where my hated of them grow from (and my room mate).

Rathgrith
Apr 15, 2009, 4:10 PM
That being said, I don't to incite genocide very often but if I had to, Nickelback and their "fans" would be at the top of my list.

eemy
Apr 15, 2009, 4:50 PM
That being said, I don't to incite genocide very often but if I had to, Nickelback and their "fans" would be at the top of my list.

There we go; that's the sort of reaction I'm used to hearing.

jcollins
Apr 15, 2009, 7:20 PM

I'll agree with everyone else. Ask a bunch of 13-16 year olds, you'll get a few more fans though.

Davis137
Apr 15, 2009, 8:22 PM
Now is it Nickleback you hate, or is it "The Chad"...

highdensitysprawl
Apr 15, 2009, 9:15 PM
They could rename it the Magic 100 Stadium.

The epitome of blandness is encapsulated (sp?) in that image. I did hear that Styx, REO Blahwagon and 38 Special are doing some sort of stadium tour...maybe they could hit Ottawa.

jchamoun79
Apr 15, 2009, 10:02 PM

Yeah, we wouldn't want a new concert venue in Ottawa, because it might mean a terrible band might perform there on occasion.

Instead, let's just keep the empty baseball stadium, because that's obviously a lot more useful for the city.

:rolleyes:

Franky
Apr 15, 2009, 11:35 PM

Proposal music to the ears

Businessman wants to turn Ottawa Stadium into concert venue

By SHANE ROSS, SUN MEDIA

David Butler has a vision to turn Ottawa Stadium into an outdoor concert venue and eventually and multi-use sports facility. Shane Ross/ Sun Media

As city council examines unsolicited proposals for open-air stadiums in Kanata and Lansdowne Park, another local businessman hopes to resurrect his vision to turn Ottawa Stadium into an outdoor concert venue.

"I just want them to know I'm still here," said David Butler.

After the Lynx left after the 2007 season, Butler presented an unsolicited proposal to city staff that included putting a retractable or permanent roof over the stadium.

Butler, who owns the Bytown Trolley Co. and made millions when he sold the business that brought the blue bike racks to the city, said the $40-million plan would have been financed privately and not cost the city a dime.

The city would have retained ownership of the stadium and land. Butler's company, Ottawa Stadium Group, would have operated the stadium under the existing lease and shared profits with the city.

'HUGE SUCCESS'

The revenue would have come mostly from concerts.

"We did a trial run with Nickelback, and it was a huge success, 14,000 people," Butler said. "We had discussions with (promoters) Live Nation about bringing more."

Butler believes the city put off his proposal because the timing wasn't right. The city was in litigation with the Lynx, a new baseball team -- the Rapidz -- was coming in, some felt development plans should go to tender, there were concerns about traffic and the impact on residents, and they were preoccupied with other issues such as light rail.

"It was too much, too soon," Butler said. "I'm not bitter about it. If I didn't get it, it's my fault."

Now that the baseball team is gone and council has directed staff to prepare a report outlining all options for the east-end stadium, Butler hopes the timing is right this time.

START SMALL

He has informed the city of his renewed interest, but this time, he wants to start small. He wants to lease the stadium and hold five or six outdoor concerts a year -- which, using Nickelback as an example, he said would generate $350,000 each -- and eventually move toward his larger vision of a domed, state-of-the-art multi-purpose entertainment centre that could house soccer fields, a driving range, pro shops, fitness clubs and restaurants.

Orleans Coun. Bob Monette yesterday said he would have no problem with Butler's proposal as long as it could accommodate the potential return of a pro baseball team.

It could, Butler said. Balls that hit the ceiling of the dome would just have to be ruled a double.

But Butler envisions the stadium's primary function as a concert venue. He proposes increasing the seating to 12,500 from 10,300, and adding another 5,000 floor seats for concerts, bringing the total capacity to 17,500.

This guy has the right idea. A concert/sport venue in the city, a dome in the future, private financing, LRT or BRT station nearby - makes a lot of sense.

Why Orleans Coun. Bob Monette makes his support conditional on pro baseball (which left holding the bag) is difficult to understand. Isn't ROI more important? Isn't community patronage more important?

Mille Sabords
Apr 16, 2009, 1:26 AM
I did hear that Styx, REO Blahwagon and 38 Special are doing some sort of stadium tour...maybe they could hit Ottawa.

Again? REO and Styx played last year as openers to Def Leppard...

waterloowarrior
Apr 16, 2009, 4:30 AM
I was looking at some reports from last year, and apparently Domicile purchased recently 222 Beechwood Ave (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=rk6hj08ptq6r&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=32815257&where1=222%20beechwood%20ave%2C%20ottawa&encType=1)

http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/occ/2008/11-12/pec/ACS2008-ICS-PLA-0216.htm
http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/occ/2008/11-26/pec/ACS2008-ICS-PLA-0237.htm

Ottawade
Apr 16, 2009, 2:05 PM
True story: A co-worker of mine got in an argument with his wife because she really liked nickelback and he said they were talentless hacks. The argument (one in a long lineage) became the straw that broke the camels back and triggered divorce proceedings!

"If I payed five cents for that CD I'd want my nickel back!"

jcollins
Apr 16, 2009, 2:10 PM
Im having a hard time picturing the sports complex being mixed into the whole thing. On the other hand I can definitely picture an outdoor concert venue similar to Molson Amphitheater in Toronto

highdensitysprawl
Apr 16, 2009, 2:11 PM
The argument (one in a long lineage) became the straw that broke the camels back and triggered divorce proceedings!

Reminder to self...Keep thoughts of 'the View', 'Jon and Kate + 8' and 'What not to wear' to myself.

Franky
Apr 16, 2009, 3:07 PM
True story: A co-worker of mine got in an argument with his wife because she really liked nickelback and he said they were talentless hacks. The argument (one in a long lineage) became the straw that broke the camels back and triggered divorce proceedings!

"If I payed five cents for that CD I'd want my nickel back!"

Nickelback may not be your cup of tea (nor mine) but there are plenty of people willing to pay to see them. The NAC is not the best venue for such acts so using the Ottawa Baseball Stadium for those types of concerts would be lucrative and would leave the NAC or Palladium (whatever it's called now) free for your type of music.

kwoldtimer
Apr 17, 2009, 12:56 AM
I was looking at some reports from last year, and apparently Domicile purchased recently 222 Beechwood Ave (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=rk6hj08ptq6r&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=32815257&where1=222%20beechwood%20ave%2C%20ottawa&encType=1)

http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/occ/2008/11-12/pec/ACS2008-ICS-PLA-0216.htm
http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/occ/2008/11-26/pec/ACS2008-ICS-PLA-0237.htm

First I had heard of this. Not sure about living next to a firehall, but otherwise this would be a great location for a five or six storey condo, just a couple of blocks from Beechwood Village. Will be interesting to see what Domicile comes up with.

Davis137
Apr 25, 2009, 12:43 AM
Starting this week, the city and some outsourced contractors have been and still are planting trees along Wellington West (right in the sidewalks, where they've removed some of the stone/brick from the sidewalk), and they are finishing up the conversion of the wood and concrete hydro/light poles to the antique-looking black metal ones along the streetscape. If they do the same thing when they redo the watermains and other utilities and pave from Parkdale to Bayview/Bayswater, this will end up being a really fancy little area, that is only going to attract even more developers. Maybe we'll start getting some more restaurants (fast-food like Subway or Quizno's, or McDonalds or Arby's), and maybe get some more coffee shops too (not everyone likes Bridgehead or Staryuk's...errr Starbucks).

Jamaican-Phoenix
Apr 25, 2009, 2:51 AM
Starting this week, the city and some outsourced contractors have been and still are planting trees along Wellington West (right in the sidewalks, where they've removed some of the stone/brick from the sidewalk), and they are finishing up the conversion of the wood and concrete hydro/light poles to the antique-looking black metal ones along the streetscape. If they do the same thing when they redo the watermains and other utilities and pave from Parkdale to Bayview/Bayswater, this will end up being a really fancy little area, that is only going to attract even more developers. Maybe we'll start getting some more restaurants (fast-food like Subway or Quizno's, or McDonalds or Arby's), and maybe get some more coffee shops too (not everyone likes Bridgehead or Staryuk's...errr Starbucks).

Here's hoping my neighbourhood gets even better. ;)

rodionx
Apr 25, 2009, 3:58 AM
From an April 23 post in Kenneth Gray's Bulldog Blog (http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/bulldog/archive/2009/04/23/chiarelli-fears-library-won-t-be-at-bayview.aspx) (as cited in the West Side Action (http://westsideaction.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-library-current-vs-future.html) blog):

College Councillor Rick Chiarelli says the Ottawa Public Library will report in May where its staff believes a new central library should be located.

Chiarelli, the former chairman of the library board, says he believes he knows where the recommended location for the central branch will be, but he cannot reveal the spot. The councillor did say the site is a parking lot about a city block long.

Sounds like the Brookfield site, as suggested by someone in this forum a while back. I can't think of another eligible parking lot between Bronson and the Canal that's reasonably close to the transitway and a city block long. The only other one that comes to mind is the expanse by the Glue Pot.

AuxTown
Apr 25, 2009, 2:12 PM
From an April 23 post in Kenneth Gray's Bulldog Blog (http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/bulldog/archive/2009/04/23/chiarelli-fears-library-won-t-be-at-bayview.aspx) (as cited in the West Side Action (http://westsideaction.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-library-current-vs-future.html) blog):

Sounds like the Brookfield site, as suggested by someone in this forum a while back. I can't think of another eligible parking lot between Bronson and the Canal that's reasonably close to the transitway and a city block long. The only other one that comes to mind is the expanse by the Glue Pot.

Oh, don't tease. To see that lot developed would bring me so much joy. Though, as mentioned before, it would be a perfect spot for a relatively tall tower as well so I hope they don't plan to put 4-5 stories there.

harls
Apr 29, 2009, 12:31 PM
Not sure where to put this, so into the General thread you go..

GATINEAU PRESENTS THE PRELIMINARY VERSION OF THE SPECIAL PLANNING PROGRAM FOR ITS DOWNTOWN

Gatineau, April 28, 2009. – This morning, the preliminary version of the special planning program (PPU) for downtown Gatineau, the main focus of the city’s urban revitalization work, was presented to the plenary committee.

“This urban special planning program is the outcome of reflection, consultation and analyses conducted since 2007 in an effort to give Gatineau a core. I thank all of the residents and community stakeholders who participated in its preparation throughout the process, and I hope that the resulting downtown will make all Gatineau residents proud,” declared Mayor Marc Bureau.

Like Gatineau’s urban planning program, this plan is divided into three parts:

• The intervention context addresses the downtown’s history and provides a brief overview of the sectors that make up its territory. This is followed by a global diagnostic of the strengths and weaknesses, as well as the main challenges that characterize today’s downtown.

• The land use part addresses the orientations, objectives and implementation methods that establish the vision for land use and the development of the special planning program, and presents the intervention concepts that will be applied to adapt it.

• The implementation highlights the interventions that will be required in the public domain, the amendments that will have to be made to the regulatory framework and the programs and incentives that have to be introduced to support the downtown’s development.

Nine New Orientations

Nine orientations shape the vision of the special planning program and provide responses to the land use issues. They will facilitate the choices regarding the different ways of guiding any public or private-sector intervention within Gatineau.

1. Sustainable transportation: improving access and movement through the downtown, mainly for pedestrians, cyclists and public transit users.

2. Parks and green spaces: using the natural components and green and blue spaces as structuring elements for the urban layout and as destinations.

3. Urban densification: repopulating the downtown.

4. The downtown core: creating a lively core that will enhance Gatineau’s reputation.

5. The Montcalm/Saint-Joseph Sud/Université du Québec en Outaouais sector: creating links and developing a synergy between the university and institutional poles, and the sector’s commercial and residential components.

6. The de la Carrière/de la Brasserie sector: restructuring the urban layout in order to permit the development of a service sector and the creation of a new recreational-tourism pole along the ruisseau de la Brasserie.

7. The Laurier/Maisonneuve sector: densifying the residential part of the sector and integrating greenery into the hearts of its neighbourhoods.

8. The island’s residential neighbourhoods: enhancing the appeal and quality of the living environments.

9. The northern part of the downtown: energizing the different activity poles and creating links between their main destinations.

“Residents will soon be invited to take part in the last public consultation on the special planning program for the downtown. On Thursday, June 4, an open house will be held to inform residents of the land use proposals and to give them the opportunity to express their views about the planning program’s nine new orientations”, indicated Hull district Municipal Councillor and Chair of the Comité consultatif d’urbanisme, Denise Laferrière.

All of the information on this public consultation will be available on the municipal Web site www.gatineau.ca an in the service centres and service points of the municipal library as of May 8, 2009.

The next steps are the tabling of the preliminary version of the special planning program at the May 5 meeting of the Municipal Council, the public consultation on June 4, and the adoption of the final version in the fall.

http://gatineau.ca/upload/newsreleases/c-09-138.afma.pdf

harls
May 11, 2009, 12:18 PM
What are they building behind the Plant Rec. centre on Preston.. a soccer pitch?

Kitchissippi
May 11, 2009, 12:39 PM
ˆˆˆ I think they are lowering the level of the green space so that it functions as a storm water catchment/rain garden.

Here's the link (http://www.ottawa.ca/public_consult/preston/info_session_en.html)

harls
May 12, 2009, 12:38 PM
Ah ok. Thanks.

it looks like they are building two soccer fields on top as well!

http://www.ottawa.ca/public_consult/preston/images/db3_sec4_1_en.jpg

highdensitysprawl
May 12, 2009, 12:53 PM
Ah ok. Thanks.

it looks like they are building two soccer fields on top as well!

http://www.ottawa.ca/public_consult/preston/images/db3_sec4_1_en.jpg

Soccer is growing in leaps and bounds in this City...the outdoor season starts in a week or so for many of us.

CFL is very popular with the CFRA crowd. (I'll get my coat now).:banana:

AuxTown
May 12, 2009, 1:27 PM
Soccer is growing in leaps and bounds in this City...the outdoor season starts in a week or so for many of us.

CFL is very popular with the CFRA crowd. (I'll get my coat now).:banana:

We have a demand and room for both in this city. All we need is a stadium with owners willing to accomodate both and I think Lansdowne Live has made it clear that they may be willing to do so. As you mentioned, I don't think we'll be splitting the fans by having a CFL and a USL/MLS team as they will draw from completely different fan bases. The result would be a more viable stadium plan, more tax dollars for the city, and something exciting for this city to cheer for that's not in the 'burbs.

Kitchissippi
May 24, 2009, 11:52 PM
I heard a rumour that the convent in front of the 101 Richmond Road development (old Canadian Tire site) might be up for sale soon, for something like $10 million. This could go a long way to knit Westboro with Wellington West, doing away with a dead spot that features a blank wall against the sidewalk. There are some awesome old stone buildings inside this property.

ajldub
May 26, 2009, 12:45 AM
Really, Kitchy? I have been waiting for the Sisters to give up that building for a long time. It would be a fantastic little art gallery or daycare. $10 million sounds fully priced, but a clever developer could probably turn a profit on it. The first thing would be to pull down the fences and unleash it to the streetscape. Keep us posted with your rumour mill...

harls
May 26, 2009, 10:49 PM
I don't know how long it's been up, but the Ottawa population sign on the MC bridge has been updated... it says 900,000.

Now the province should update the ones on the freeways coming into the city...they still say 785,000.

Southpaw78
May 27, 2009, 12:54 AM
I noticed the sign coming in from Rockland this past weekend has also been updated to 900 000

Dado
May 27, 2009, 1:23 AM
I don't know how long it's been up, but the Ottawa population sign on the MC bridge has been updated... it says 900,000.

Now the province should update the ones on the freeways coming into the city...they still say 785,000.

But according to Municipal Affairs Minister Watson, the City of Ottawa has a credibility problem. :D

waterloowarrior
May 28, 2009, 1:37 AM
the latest episode of big city broker has Brad Lamb looking at some properties in Ottawa. He looked at a site near Gloucestor and Metcalfe, a parking lot beside Capital Music Hall, and a site at Lisgar between Bank and O'Connor. He made an offer on the Lisgar site, but it didn't work out after a land swap fell through

Proof Sheet
May 28, 2009, 2:14 AM
the latest episode of big city broker has Brad Lamb looking at some properties in Ottawa. He looked at a site near Gloucestor and Metcalfe, a parking lot beside Capital Music Hall, and a site at Lisgar between Bank and O'Connor. He made an offer on the Lisgar site, but it didn't work out after a land swap fell through

I saw the last few minutes of that episode....I just don't know how to put a finger on it, but somehow, Brad Lamb doesn't strike me as the most likeable guy in the world. Has anybody met him in real life and is he exactly as illustrated in real life.

Tor2Ott
May 28, 2009, 2:23 AM
I saw the last few minutes of that episode....I just don't know how to put a finger on it, but somehow, Brad Lamb doesn't strike me as the most likeable guy in the world. Has anybody met him in real life and is he exactly as illustrated in real life.

I think Danman met with him and was shown in the news and/or TV with Brad Lamb.

He's a businessman, not here to make friends. He's successful for a reason. He's becoming big in TO and appeared in numerous newspaper articles on RE. The TO condo boom propelled him to his status today. I find that he tends to be overly optimistic about the RE market (for obvious reasons--he's a developer). Smart guy nevertheless.

waterloowarrior
May 29, 2009, 10:11 PM
Tunney's time has come
City counting on Public Works to maximize potential of future light-rail station
By Peter Kovessy, Ottawa Business Journal Staff
Mon, May 25, 2009 12:00 AM EST
http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/303653438860585.php

The federal government has taken the first step in overhauling the aging Tunney's Pasture complex by launching a new planning exercise to guide future development of the site.

Home to roughly 10,000 public servants working for departments including Health Canada, Statistics Canada and National Defence, the sprawling 49-hectare campus contains 19 buildings widely regarded as in need of extensive renovations.

Earlier this year, Public Works said it intends to hire a team of planners, urban designers, architects and engineers to help the department develop the master plan. Government officials said nine proposals are under evaluation, but could not estimate when a contract would be awarded.

Reconfiguring existing federal employment nodes such as Tunney's Pasture by rehabilitating old offices and constructing new buildings is one component of the federal government's ongoing review of its office space capacity in the National Capital Region, said Public Works spokesperson Lucie Brosseau.

"Tunney's Pasture will play a major role in accommodating federal employees over the next 25 years," she said, highlighting its "prime location" close to the Ottawa and Gatineau downtown cores and transit connections.

However, with municipal officials having already selected Tunney's Pasture as the preferred terminus of a future light-rail line, the city is relying on the federal government to redevelop the campus in a way that maximizes the rail link, observed Kitchissippi Coun. Christine Leadman, who represents the ward containing the federal complex.

"It is putting all our hopes and dreams and our future into the hands of another level of government ... We've got our people catering to the Tunney's Pasture component of a huge mega-billion-dollar transit plan, but really not having all the numbers to verify it," she said, adding Public Works has so far released little information about its plans for Tunney's to the city.

"We know it is an employment hub, but that is all it is at the present time and will be that way for a long time to come," she added, noting the development could have a "huge impact" on the Scott Street corridor and surrounding residents, given the large number of bureaucrats who commute to Tunney's Pasture from Quebec.

Ms. Leadman favours ending the rail line at Bayview, where the city owns the surrounding land and can guide future development that takes full advantage of the rapid transit connection. As it stands, the Tunney's Pasture Transitway connection caters primarily to rush-hour commuters, said Ms. Leadman, who hopes the federal government will consider incorporating retail, commercial and residential land uses in the complex.

"It is much more effective to have a mixed-use element, as opposed to all those towers sitting empty all evening and on weekends."

Neighbouring residents, businesses and federal employees working at Tunney's Pasture will be consulted as part of the process, which has already generated interest in its early stages.

David Cole, president of Cole+Associates Architects Inc., works and lives near the federal campus, which he believes has potential for further development.

"Intensification of our communities and business areas should be maximized, rather than building things way out in the suburbs," he said.

However, Mr. Cole cautioned that Public Works needs to scale its buildings to fit in with the surrounding neighbourhood. Tall office towers may be well-suited to the centre of the campus, but would adversely affect neighbouring residents if placed near the perimeter.

Ms. Brosseau said a master plan must be developed before the government considers constructing new offices or renovating existing buildings.

The plan will define the direction the government wants to take the site and generate various development options, according to background documents.

Davis137
May 30, 2009, 1:35 PM
Well, progress is still better then NO progress...I don't think my family is going to be living in this neighbourhood still when they start getting things underway...

eternallyme
May 30, 2009, 2:28 PM
As for Tunney's Pasture, it will only be a temporary terminus. The next stage extends it outward to Baseline (and then to Barrhaven/Kanata).

Still, having a major transfer spot (some BRT and local routes will likely still run through/terminate at Tunney's Pasture) is a huge advantage.

Jamaican-Phoenix
May 30, 2009, 4:43 PM
Ms. Leadman's comment about Tunney's being essentially a rush-hour stop kind of irked me. For the love of God, the entire transitway caters to rush-hour commuting. It brings people from far away clsoe to downtown where lots of them work. That's why a lot of comments are about shaving time off of bus routes instead of intensification and serving communities better.

Kitchissippi
May 30, 2009, 6:32 PM
I repeat my sentiment that the Tunney's Pasture issue is due largely to the cowardice in tackling the transit ROW between Dominion and Lincoln Fields. If our politicians had the balls to face this problem head-on, we would not be having discussions about a temporary bus depot, and all the money that will be poured into Baseline station would be more justified.

It is frustrating that this could end up being long-drawn like the downtown issue. Practically half the transit traffic passes this way, and leaving the solution hanging will leave the riders in the western half of this city seething. The ironic thing is that this stretch is the least disrupting section to address since it will be largely a brand new ROW. IMHO, the first phase should have been Baseline to Hurdman, basically converting the Transitway between the two splits.

Deez
May 31, 2009, 3:42 PM
I repeat my sentiment that the Tunney's Pasture issue is due largely to the cowardice in tackling the transit ROW between Dominion and Lincoln Fields. If our politicians had the balls to face this problem head-on, we would not be having discussions about a temporary bus depot, and all the money that will be poured into Baseline station would be more justified.

It is frustrating that this could end up being long-drawn like the downtown issue. Practically half the transit traffic passes this way, and leaving the solution hanging will leave the riders in the western half of this city seething. The ironic thing is that this stretch is the least disrupting section to address since it will be largely a brand new ROW. IMHO, the first phase should have been Baseline to Hurdman, basically converting the Transitway between the two splits.

This problem is likely to be exacerbated if Alex Cullen is successful in his bid for mayor. His nonsensical devotion to keeping transit parkway drives me crazy.

Dado
Jun 1, 2009, 3:29 AM
:previous:

Do you really think he stands a chance of becoming mayor?

I agree, and I've said much the same before as well - but it's not just politicians. For over 25 years the City has been running buses on the Parkway under an agreement with the NCC with no surety of it being permanent. Despite this, no one thought it prudent to carry out an Environmental Assessment to secure an alternate corridor, with one of the upshots being that the former CPR corridor now has houses on it all the while that infill continues to go in, filling in bits and pieces that could be useful.

And in the latest round, it was City staff, not Council, that put forward the Tunney's to Blair scheme as the preferred choice.

harls
Jun 2, 2009, 12:19 PM
Canada-Quebec Investment Will Create Jobs for the City of Gatineau

GATINEAU, QUEBEC--(Marketwire - June 1, 2009) - The Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Minister responsible for Outaouais, and Mr. Norman MacMillan, Minister for Transport and Minister responsible for the Outaouais region and MNA for Papineau, along with Ms. Maryse Gaudreault, MNA for Hull, on behalf of Ms. Dominique Vien, Minister of Government Services for Quebec, are pleased to announced that the Palais des congres of Gatineau will benefit from a joint investment of up to $15 million federal-provincial governments. This government assistance will support the rebuilding of the Palais des congres.

The investments will allow the renovation of the exterior of the building (roofs and exterior walls), electromechanical systems, kitchens, architectural finishes, as well as bringing fire protections and universal accessibility up to standard.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Infrastructure-Canada-997440.html

I thought this place was in trouble not so long ago, having to compete with Ottawa and the Casino for any big event.. now they're dumping 15 million in upgrades into it?

At least it will look more appealing from the outside. That beige corrugated sheet metal is sure sexy.

Mille Sabords
Jun 2, 2009, 12:43 PM
For over 25 years the City has been running buses on the Parkway under an agreement with the NCC with no surety of it being permanent. Despite this, no one thought it prudent to carry out an Environmental Assessment to secure an alternate corridor, with one of the upshots being that the former CPR corridor now has houses on it all the while that infill continues to go in, filling in bits and pieces that could be useful.

And in the latest round, it was City staff, not Council, that put forward the Tunney's to Blair scheme as the preferred choice.

It's almost as if you don't want any LRT plan to ever succeed. What is the city supposed to do here? We NEED an LRT NOW. We don't have the money for a Byron subway. Maybe they should say that this will be the future, but in the meantime Ottawa needs rail transit NOW. WTF is the problem with using the parkway, after it's been used by buses for a quarter century. It will LOOK BETTER and be QUIETER and CLEANER. And if the NCC wants to preserve their pristine, bird-chirping parkway in a savage state for ever and a day then let them pay for a frikkin' tunnel under Byron. Otherwise, we taxpayers just don't have the funds to dig tunnels everywhere all at once and we certainly don't have the apetite for 30 more years of buses.

Dado
Jun 2, 2009, 3:01 PM
:previous:

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

The final sentence you've quoted was in respect to a routing that I think doesn't go far enough west in its first stage.

If you search this forum, you'll find I've advocated on numerous occasions for an at-grade alignment in the Byron/Richmond corridor, in particular a routing that goes along the Parkway from Dominion to Cleary and then into the Byron/Richmond corridor but I'm also open to a routing that goes through/under Rochester Field. I have never - ever - suggested or subscribed to a view that we should have a subway in the entire Byron corridor (only below grade to get to the corridor). In fact, I oppose it because that just opens the way for the road wideners to slip in a widened Richmond Road while they're at it.

I can't recall if I've ever stated it, but as a second choice I would prefer to see the eastbound lanes of the Parkway converted to LRT, thereby reducing the Parkway to a two-lane road like the Queen Elizabeth Driveway and the Rockcliffe Parkway. The Parkway is not optimum for LRT due to it having several reversing curves and not too much in the way of walk-on traffic but I certainly don't subscribe to the view that LRT will somehow ruin the corridor itself and I get teed off with people who think it will while being apparently happy to have thousands of buses plying it.

Finally, if we need an LRT now, then why in blazes has the City not initiated a planning and environmental assessment study for such a thing in the west end? They got underway with a tunnel study before getting a west end LRT study underway and now we're going to get a whacked-out design at Tunney's Pasture because of it. This latest failure to deal with the west end is just another in a long series of such inactivity. Had they had the foresight to carry out such a study 10-15 years ago they could have acquired and reserved the former CPR corridor for it and we'd be ready to go right away. That was the point I was making.

Cre47
Jun 2, 2009, 5:24 PM
Proposed for Holland Avenue. In some of the images you can see the GCTC (correct?) building

http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2009/06-09/8-ACS2009-ICS-PLA-0054%20-%20Holland%20Ave.htm

http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2009/06-09/8-ACS2009-ICS-PLA-0054%20-%20Holland%20Ave_files/image008.jpg

http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2009/06-09/8-ACS2009-ICS-PLA-0054%20-%20Holland%20Ave_files/image010.jpg

http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2009/06-09/8-ACS2009-ICS-PLA-0054%20-%20Holland%20Ave_files/image012.jpg

rocketphish
Jun 2, 2009, 5:28 PM
Yes, that's the GCTC over there. These renderings should probably be posted to this thread:
131-137 Holland Ave (Ovation site) | 24.8 m | 8 fl | Proposed (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=163487)

AuxTown
Jun 10, 2009, 12:34 AM
from www.cfra.com

Announcement Expected on Library Location
Stephanie Kinsella
Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Acting Mayor Michel Bellemare and Barrhaven Councilor Jann Harder will announce a "major land acquisition," according to a city press release. The announcement is slated for 9 am on Wednesday at city hall before the city council meeting.

As CFRA News first reported, the announcement is likely to reveal the location of the new main branch of the Ottawa Public Library. The Ottawa Technical High School is considered the front runner for the new location.

The size and cost of the new main library, however, is still up for debate. The Ottawa Public Library Board hopes to build a new branch priced between $150 million and $200 million.

Councillor, and former library board chair, Rick Chiarelli tells CFRA News a 200-thousand square foot new branch could be built for $100 million. He says affordability needs to remain a top focus for the city, saying a $200 million library is "too rich."

Sounds like a promising announcement for one of the CBD's most underused buildings. Now all we need is a couple of residential towers with a grocery store podium to go in there to revitalize things in that area. I would think that residential units next door to the library's main branch would be a big selling point given that they would make excellent (and quiet) neighbours.

waterloowarrior
Jun 10, 2009, 12:53 AM
Ottawa Public Library Announces Main Branch Site
http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/bulldog/archive/2009/06/09/ottawa-public-library-announces-main-branch-site.aspx
By KENNETH_GRAY 06-09-2009 COMMENTS(2) THE BULLDOG

Filed under: City of Ottawa, Ottawa Public Library, Jan Harder, Barbara Clubb
The Ottawa Public Library has chosen the block bordered by Albert, Slater, Bay and Lyon streets as the new location for its proposed new main branch.

The OPL would like the city to move immediately to buy this downtown block which its officials estimate to be valued in the $26-million range. The iconic new main branch is expected to cost about $181 million. The target date for completing the landmark building is 2015.

kwoldtimer
Jun 10, 2009, 1:29 AM
Hmm, LRT here, Landsdowne and suburban bridges to nowhere there, and now an "iconic" main library (design competition anyone?). I may be lacking in vision, but pretty soon these mega-million dollar projects could start to add up. Can we start a pool on which gets the chop?

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jun 10, 2009, 7:32 AM
Ottawa Public Library Announces Main Branch Site
http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/bulldog/archive/2009/06/09/ottawa-public-library-announces-main-branch-site.aspx
By KENNETH_GRAY 06-09-2009 COMMENTS(2) THE BULLDOG

Filed under: City of Ottawa, Ottawa Public Library, Jan Harder, Barbara Clubb
The Ottawa Public Library has chosen the block bordered by Albert, Slater, Bay and Lyon streets as the new location for its proposed new main branch.

The OPL would like the city to move immediately to buy this downtown block which its officials estimate to be valued in the $26-million range. The iconic new main branch is expected to cost about $181 million. The target date for completing the landmark building is 2015.

That appears to be the block that holds the Cooperators building or something like that.

harls
Jun 10, 2009, 12:02 PM
That appears to be the block that holds the Cooperators building or something like that.

There's the Alterna Bank, a parking lot, and that Scone Witch place on that block too.

rocketphish
Jun 10, 2009, 2:16 PM
New main library seen as city-building opportunity

$26 million sought from council for facility that ‘will define the Ottawa we will become’

By Patrick Dare, The Ottawa Citizen, June 10, 2009

OTTAWA-After years of study and false starts, the Ottawa Public Library is proposing to city councillors a landmark new central library building be constructed in the western part of downtown.

The site, bounded by Bay, Albert, Lyon and Slater streets, was selected from a long list of 13 possible locations and five shortlisted ones. A new central library has been talked about for many years, but the library now has a do-or-die step: It’s asking council for $26 million so that it can go out and buy the land, owned by the CS Co-op and several other small landowners.

At stake, say the library’s leaders, is a building that would be right at the western downtown station for the proposed subway, would kickstart development of the western end of downtown and link the business district with the developing LeBreton Flats. Councillor Jan Harder, chairwoman of the library board, says a new library in this location would also define Ottawa for years to come as a learning city that has seen the lessons of other North American cities in this city-building exercise.

Harder says that the new library, costing about $181 million, is a chance to regain the civic pride that was lost when all the Ottawa-area municipalities were amalgamated into the new City of Ottawa in 2001. She says that the library would be a new central hub for a library system that would continue to have a strong network of 32 other branches.

“This is our place. This is our singular place of city pride,” said Harder, Tuesday, as she explained plans for the project, which will be between 300,000 and 350,000 square feet. “Downtown is everybody’s neighbourhood.”

She said citizens consistently rate library service of high importance. And she said that, despite the rise of electronic access to information, physical libraries are more popular than ever in Ottawa. The library’s 33 branches saw 4.8 million visits last year.

“It’s libraries that are the community and the heart,” said Harder, noting that 1,000 people showed up for a recent ribbon cutting for a new entrance to the Barrhaven library. “This will define the Ottawa we will become.”

The library board, with a facilities committee led by planning expert Pamela Sweet, decided on the CS Co-op site a year ago. But it wanted to further refine its plan and to avoid proposing the project just as the economy was dropping like a stone. The board thinks there is now an appetite among citizens and on city council for a start to the project, especially since the city has recently shown solid support for projects such as a new city archives, Ottawa’s new convention centre and major expansions at learning institutions Algonquin College and La Cité Collegiale.

The site selected will be announced at a city hall meeting Wednesday morning.

“It is the whole concept of building civic spaces,” said chief librarian Barbara Clubb. “It’s building a city.”

The new library building would be constructed as part of a wider development on the CS Co-op site, which has some small buildings on it now and is about 79,000 square feet, or 0.74 hectares. The anchor building would be the library, but the block — zoned for 750,000 square feet of building — would also see office space, stores and perhaps housing.

The city could expropriate the land for the new library, but Harder says officials want to negotiate a deal and believe expropriation will be unnecessary.

The other sites considered were all downtown and included Festival Plaza beside City Hall and the federal Lorne Building site, which is the former home of the National Gallery of Canada on Elgin Street. The Technical High School property on Slater Street was rated a close second in the scoring of sites. The Lorne Building site was third and city officials toured it, though federal government officials expressed little interest in handing over a property that is so close to Parliament Hill.

Somerset Councillor Diane Holmes said the site selected will assist a western downtown neighbourhood that has been “limping along” in recent years in its economic development. She said it will be easy for people from all over the city to get to because of the transit at its doorstep on the existing Transitway and when trains are running underground in the future. At the same time, downtown workers and residents will find it convenient.

“It really is a perfect location,” said Holmes. “This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

“It will be an incredible anchor to the western downtown,” said Alta Vista Councillor Peter Hume, who is the chairman of council’s planning committee. “From a planning and urban-design point of view, it’s getting it right. We will certainly be building a better city.”

How the project would be structured is open to negotiation, but the city would enlist the federal and provincial governments to help pay for it. The library also has its own fundraising foundation, which would hold a campaign. As well, the Friends of the Public Library may play a role.

Clubb, who has for years wished to find a new home for the main library, says the current branch at Metcalfe has insurmountable problems, including:

— Its 88,000 square feet of awkward space,

— Its 1974 brutalist architecture that allows in little natural light,

— The difficulty staff have getting materials in and out of the building and

— Mechanical systems that need work.

The library hopes to get between $17 million and $20 million from the sale of the Metcalfe Street property.

The new library envisioned by the board would see up to 10,000 visitors a day, in comparison with the current 3,000 who go to the Metcalfe Street branch.

There are no drawings yet of what it might look like, but Sweet notes that the site will be one of the last underdeveloped sites in downtown Ottawa and should have a building that is architecturally worthy. She says that, based on what’s happened in other cities such as Seattle, Salt Lake City, Vancouver and Chicago, where some stunning buildings have been constructed, Ottawa’s new public library would become a tourist attraction.

Some sort of design competition, perhaps international, would be conducted for the library.

Some large cultural buildings constructed around the world have created controversy because of their unusual — some would say fanciful — designs in recent years. Clubb says she is mindful of that and wants to build public support for the project by conducting a thorough hearing of the public on the design. She says Ottawa could even follow Vancouver’s lead in the 1990s by having the public vote on the final design for a new central library.

The library’s pitch for support for the project includes the assurance that neighbourhood branches won’t be closed to feed funds to the main branch. Clubb notes that the city just received word of almost $5 million in spending on the various branches in Ottawa under the federal infrastructure stimulus program. Harder says that the system’s existing branches, some as small as 500 square feet, are treasured by residents in the respective neighbourhoods and the library board knows that.

The central library file goes to a city committee next week, then to full city council the following week. If the plan wins approval, the $26 million would be in the 2010 budget. The city’s long-range financial plan has a central library listed for 2014, but that could be changed.

Library plans

The elements of a new library are open to public debate but the plan so far is to include:

— A plaza and meeting rooms including a 300-seat auditorium with stage

— A community library of 19,000 square feet to serve the needs of Centretown residents, featuring a fireplace

— A “Heritage Gateway” space of almost 20,000 square feet featuring historical displays;

— A teen zone

— A children’s services area

— A major centre for the distribution of digital materials, including electronic games

— A world news centre that includes a media room full of TVs tuned to channels from around the globe

The plans also include a local history and genealogy centre, which is a growing interest in Ottawa, and a business and careers area with generous Internet access to help people seeking work and in small business

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Kitchissippi
Jun 10, 2009, 3:06 PM
There's the Alterna Bank, a parking lot, and that Scone Witch place on that block too.

I see, you managed to wander a block from Barbarella's :D

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jun 10, 2009, 5:43 PM

Right, yeah. I was having trouble remembering what else was on that block. Thanks.

harls
Jun 10, 2009, 10:20 PM
I see, you managed to wander a block from Barbarella's :D

Work one block south, play one block north..I know the area well ;)

rocketphish
Jun 10, 2009, 10:28 PM
Work one block south, play one block north..I know the area well ;)

What more does one need to be considered The Most Interesting Man in the World?? :cool:

rocketphish
Jun 14, 2009, 2:09 PM
Talk is cheap. And Ottawa is famous for it

By Janice Kennedy, The Ottawa Citizen, June 14, 2009

Inspiring, isn't it? The Ottawa Public Library has a vision and a plan for the fabulous new central building it needs, an initiative for which it is about to formally ask the city for money. According to Councillor Jan Harder, library board chairwoman, the new building "will define the Ottawa we will become."

Uh-oh.

That Ottawa we're going to become: would that be the Ottawa of "Lansdowne Park redevelopment," "public transit plans," "new home for the Ex" and other metaphors for municipal inertia?

I suppose it's possible that our great-great-grandchildren might live to see the day when a new central library building opens its doors downtown. But I wouldn't bet on it.

This is not the town fun forgot. It's the town time forgot.

Nothing ever really changes here (see above), despite our insatiable appetite for talk of change.

Ideas are floated, debated, shot down, revised, debated again, shot down again -- in circular endlessness. Newspapers are routinely filled with fabulous sketches for planned projects, blueprints for change that never actually occurs.

I heard someone on the radio recently argue against developers' "Lansdowne Live" proposal, saying it would be better to re-open public debate on the future of Lansdowne Park -- to take longer and "get it right" -- than to live with regret.

No, no, I wanted to shout. It's actually not better. It's better to do something. But in this politics-bound city, the yattering, like telephone sex, has become a substitute for action.

The classic Ottawa blueprint for change? It consists of consultation, committees, discussion, deferral -- followed by consultation, committees ... This is a city that's afraid to grow up.

Wait, let me take that back. As a municipality, Ottawa is more like a person who's gone from adolescence straight into snoozy retirement, without ever having lived through a middle period of energetic productivity and get-up to go. Ottawa's the creaky geezer that wants to do nothing but talk -- yak, yak, yak, snore -- until it falls into a bored and dreamless stupor.

What is wrong with us? Why are we so paralysed with inaction?

If, like me, you happen to have come here from Montreal, then -- I'm sorry, I really do apologize -- comparisons are not only natural but inevitable. Especially if you're a product of Montreal during those years, the 1960s, of its golden explosion.

The explosion happened thanks to the city's inimitable mayor, the late Jean Drapeau, a man with faults, quirks, eccentricities, blind spots -- and the largest sense of determined vision the city had or has ever seen. Confronted with the reality that business was relocating and Toronto was replacing Montreal as Canada's metropolis, Drapeau essentially sniffed, so what? "Let Toronto become Milan," he said. "Montreal will always be Rome."

In a seven-year burst of creative construction, while I moved from my teens into my early 20s, my native city was transformed with a subway system, a network of expressways, a new bridge to the south shore, Place des Arts and Place Ville-Marie. It also hosted a wildly successful world's fair, for which it built a new island in the St. Lawrence and Moshe Safdie's stunning Habitat residential complex. Capping off the decade, it acquired a major-league baseball team. In seven years.

In seven years, the city dramatically changed the way it looked, the way it got around, the way it enjoyed life.

In the nearly 20 years I've lived in Ottawa, I've heard endless talk of inspirational change, but this is what I've actually seen my adopted city do: finally tear down the Daly Building for a relatively nondescript replacement structure. And get its own big-league hockey team. Period.

I know that progress can be a complicated affair. And yes, Montreal is bigger than Ottawa. Yes, Mayor Drapeau had a bit of the old autocrat about him. Yes, he sometimes neglected important practical details, focusing instead on the monumental. Yes, taxpayers paid for the Big Owe for three decades.

And no, no one wants an Ottawa where democratic consultation, good governance and fiscal conscientiousness are sacrificed on an altar of bread and circuses.

But enough timidity already. Can't we try taking a few small steps up the bold slope carved out by leaders like Jean Drapeau, leaders not intimidated by the obligations of vision? We don't have to do the full montée (which we couldn't afford anyway), but couldn't we take just a baby step or two?

I mean, instead of engaging in circular debates about development and redevelopment that never happens, progressive public transportation that never gets built and good ideas that never see the light of day because they're smothered at birth in a welter of words.

Can't we just stop talking -- please -- and start doing something?

It shouldn't be that difficult. It's not as if we need (to cite the ambitions of current mayor Larry O'Brien in his own colourful word choice) "swagger" or "swinging dicks."

What we need instead, sitting around the political and corporate and social tables of influence, are women and men with intelligence, imagination, integrity and the kind of charisma that can sell a dream to those who can make it happen.

We know such people exist in this community. It is time for them to step forward. And it is long past time for the motormouths to pipe down and let them get on with it. Whatever it may be.

Janice Kennedy's column appears here on Sundays.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/columnists/Talk+cheap+Ottawa+famous/1694411/story.html (http://www.ottawacitizen.com/columnists/Talk+cheap+Ottawa+famous/1694411/story.html)

adam-machiavelli
Jun 14, 2009, 2:53 PM
Re: Landsdowne Live

I will never support a proposal to turn a grand historic hall into an aquarium (keeping animals in confined areas is antiquated and going out of style with pretty much every other respectable city in the world) and essentially holds the City at gunpoint every year to fork over more than $150,000,000.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jun 15, 2009, 2:28 AM
Re: Landsdowne Live

I will never support a proposal to turn a grand historic hall into an aquarium (keeping animals in confined areas is antiquated and going out of style with pretty much every other respectable city in the world) and essentially holds the City at gunpoint every year to fork over more than $150,000,000.

If you'd actually been following the proposal, you would have discovered that not only have they scrapped the aquarium in Aberdeen Pavillion, but are considering making it the focal point of the farmer's market.

With regards to Janice Kennedy's article, she hit the nail on the head and drove it into the wood with one blow with that one.

waterloowarrior
Jun 16, 2009, 11:07 PM
Rideau Street's 'renaissance' a work in progress
Mon, Jun 15, 2009 12:00 AM EST
http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/332190676429623.php

The rebirth of Rideau Street has begun. More people are living and shopping on the street, and sellers of quality goods are starting to return.

So far, the biggest change has been the construction of two luxury apartment towers, one on each side of the street, steps from the ByWard Market and the Rideau Centre. Now, the retail space at the base of these apartment buildings is starting to fill.

There is even the first sign of change at the Rideau Centre itself, the giant shopping complex that has been held partly responsible for Rideau Street's decline into mediocrity during the past 25 years.

Until now, the Rideau Centre has always turned its back on Rideau Street, facing inwards with almost no presence on the street.

That is changing, as the centre converts a small ground-floor food court into an upscale retailer with store windows facing Rideau Street. The retailer is likely to be a fashion store, and to have its own street entrance.

It might seem a small change. But, in reality, it's a big one. Ever since the Rideau Centre opened, that stretch of Rideau Street has been a place to hurry through, to loiter, or just to wait for a bus. It wasn't a nice place for strollers and window shoppers.

Cindy VanBuskirk, Rideau Centre manager, said the centre "jumped at" the chance to remodel this 4,000-square-foot space and open it up to Rideau Street when it got the chance. Previous tenants included a Burger King.

Says Ms. VanBuskirk: "The city of Ottawa would like to see more animation on the street, and so would we." It will be up to the retail tenant, which is still to be determined, to decide whether it will have a door on Rideau Street, she said. "But we will encourage the tenant to have such a door."

The biggest influx of new retailers on Rideau Street will be at the base of the new apartment tower where the Caplan's department store stood on the north side of the street, opposite the Rideau Centre. The Caplan's facade has been attractively replicated in the new building.

The tower's address is 90 George St., where its main residential entrance is located on the ByWard Market side of the building. There is retail space on the first two floors on each side of the building, and the developer says there will be public access to these retailers from George and Rideau streets.

Hairstylist Rinaldo is the building's highest-profile tenant thus far. He has his flagship location there, having moved from the World Exchange Plaza. Rinaldo says his customers are still getting used to the new location, and that the shift has not been easy due to delays in construction of the still-not-complete building. "But I love the location – I love the Market," he says.

Jubilee Jewellers, located in the Rideau Centre, had been a possible tenant for the main retail space, on two floors, on the Rideau Street side of the building. But it did not happen. Terrence Guilbault, the builder's developer, says a retailer of quality clothing has agreed to lease the 12,000-square-foot space, and he expects the store will open early next year.

Another big retail tenant, on the George Street side of the building, will be the Swiss Pastries group of gourmet food stores. "There will be nothing like this in Ottawa," says Mr. Guilbault.

At the other large new apartment complex on Rideau Street, built by Claridge Homes at the corner of Waller Street, the major ground-floor retailer is a Pharma Plus drugstore.

These two large apartment developments have already brought hundreds of affluent new residents to the area. "One of the major results of all this growth is that Rideau Street, long underdeveloped, is seeing a renaissance," says Georges Bedard, city councillor for the area.

Among apartments still for sale in Mr. Guilbault's building is a penthouse for $3.5 million. The least expensive apartment still available at last check was a 530-square-foot bachelor for $273,000. At that price it didn't have a parking space or storage locker.

At Claridge Plaza, 234 Rideau St., the lowest-priced apartment for sale was a 647-square-foot one-bedroom for $217,000.

Mr. Guilbault, who has been working on redeveloping Rideau Street for decades, says the two apartment projects have already had "a huge impact" on the street. But more needs to be done, he says.

The developer says the "biggest eyesores" on the street are two enclosed bridges for pedestrians linking the Rideau Centre with the Bay department store. When and if an underground rail line is built through the area, these pedestrian links should be put below ground, he suggests.

Another key to the future health of Rideau Street is redeveloping the site of the former Ogilvy's department store at the corner of Nicholas Street, Mr. Guilbault says.

The first three levels of the facade of the Ogilvy building have heritage value. The Rideau Centre, which owns the derelict and unoccupied building, has agreed to preserve this facade in any redevelopment and expansion of the shopping complex.

The Rideau Centre has said it will not consider expansion until after a new convention centre is built adjacent to the shopping complex. The convention centre is due to be completed in spring 2011.

The Rideau Centre's Ms. VanBuskirk says expansion of the centre could begin in as little as five years, if owners decide to go ahead with it. Among other things, there is demand for a new hotel in an expanded Rideau Centre, she said.

Mr. Guilbault says it's essential that a new building on the Ogilvy site look out on to Rideau Street. Ms. VanBuskirk says she expects that would happen in any redevelopment.

That's good to hear.

eternallyme
Jun 17, 2009, 12:16 AM
Rideau Street's 'renaissance' a work in progress
Mon, Jun 15, 2009 12:00 AM EST
http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/332190676429623.php

The rebirth of Rideau Street has begun. More people are living and shopping on the street, and sellers of quality goods are starting to return.

So far, the biggest change has been the construction of two luxury apartment towers, one on each side of the street, steps from the ByWard Market and the Rideau Centre. Now, the retail space at the base of these apartment buildings is starting to fill.

There is even the first sign of change at the Rideau Centre itself, the giant shopping complex that has been held partly responsible for Rideau Street's decline into mediocrity during the past 25 years.

Until now, the Rideau Centre has always turned its back on Rideau Street, facing inwards with almost no presence on the street.

That is changing, as the centre converts a small ground-floor food court into an upscale retailer with store windows facing Rideau Street. The retailer is likely to be a fashion store, and to have its own street entrance.

It might seem a small change. But, in reality, it's a big one. Ever since the Rideau Centre opened, that stretch of Rideau Street has been a place to hurry through, to loiter, or just to wait for a bus. It wasn't a nice place for strollers and window shoppers.

Cindy VanBuskirk, Rideau Centre manager, said the centre "jumped at" the chance to remodel this 4,000-square-foot space and open it up to Rideau Street when it got the chance. Previous tenants included a Burger King.

Says Ms. VanBuskirk: "The city of Ottawa would like to see more animation on the street, and so would we." It will be up to the retail tenant, which is still to be determined, to decide whether it will have a door on Rideau Street, she said. "But we will encourage the tenant to have such a door."

The biggest influx of new retailers on Rideau Street will be at the base of the new apartment tower where the Caplan's department store stood on the north side of the street, opposite the Rideau Centre. The Caplan's facade has been attractively replicated in the new building.

The tower's address is 90 George St., where its main residential entrance is located on the ByWard Market side of the building. There is retail space on the first two floors on each side of the building, and the developer says there will be public access to these retailers from George and Rideau streets.

Hairstylist Rinaldo is the building's highest-profile tenant thus far. He has his flagship location there, having moved from the World Exchange Plaza. Rinaldo says his customers are still getting used to the new location, and that the shift has not been easy due to delays in construction of the still-not-complete building. "But I love the location – I love the Market," he says.

Jubilee Jewellers, located in the Rideau Centre, had been a possible tenant for the main retail space, on two floors, on the Rideau Street side of the building. But it did not happen. Terrence Guilbault, the builder's developer, says a retailer of quality clothing has agreed to lease the 12,000-square-foot space, and he expects the store will open early next year.

Another big retail tenant, on the George Street side of the building, will be the Swiss Pastries group of gourmet food stores. "There will be nothing like this in Ottawa," says Mr. Guilbault.

At the other large new apartment complex on Rideau Street, built by Claridge Homes at the corner of Waller Street, the major ground-floor retailer is a Pharma Plus drugstore.

These two large apartment developments have already brought hundreds of affluent new residents to the area. "One of the major results of all this growth is that Rideau Street, long underdeveloped, is seeing a renaissance," says Georges Bedard, city councillor for the area.

Among apartments still for sale in Mr. Guilbault's building is a penthouse for $3.5 million. The least expensive apartment still available at last check was a 530-square-foot bachelor for $273,000. At that price it didn't have a parking space or storage locker.

At Claridge Plaza, 234 Rideau St., the lowest-priced apartment for sale was a 647-square-foot one-bedroom for $217,000.

Mr. Guilbault, who has been working on redeveloping Rideau Street for decades, says the two apartment projects have already had "a huge impact" on the street. But more needs to be done, he says.

The developer says the "biggest eyesores" on the street are two enclosed bridges for pedestrians linking the Rideau Centre with the Bay department store. When and if an underground rail line is built through the area, these pedestrian links should be put below ground, he suggests.

Another key to the future health of Rideau Street is redeveloping the site of the former Ogilvy's department store at the corner of Nicholas Street, Mr. Guilbault says.

The first three levels of the facade of the Ogilvy building have heritage value. The Rideau Centre, which owns the derelict and unoccupied building, has agreed to preserve this facade in any redevelopment and expansion of the shopping complex.

The Rideau Centre has said it will not consider expansion until after a new convention centre is built adjacent to the shopping complex. The convention centre is due to be completed in spring 2011.

The Rideau Centre's Ms. VanBuskirk says expansion of the centre could begin in as little as five years, if owners decide to go ahead with it. Among other things, there is demand for a new hotel in an expanded Rideau Centre, she said.

Mr. Guilbault says it's essential that a new building on the Ogilvy site look out on to Rideau Street. Ms. VanBuskirk says she expects that would happen in any redevelopment.

That's good to hear.

I think the Oglivy site would be ideal for the Rideau Centre expansion, preserved in its current state. Combined with the adjacent parking lot (which IMO as suggested previously should be a bus terminal on the street level with stores above), the mall would be like 2,000,000 square feet and about 260 stores (as opposed to about 170 now)...probably the largest downtown mall in North America.

The aerial rights from the 5th level upwards (above Sears especially) IMO should be mostly preserved for further expansion of the Convention Centre.

waterloowarrior
Jun 17, 2009, 3:59 AM
p&e agenda (http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2009/06-23/agendaindex57.htm)...

report on development charges (http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2009/06-23/1%20-%20ACS2009-ICS-PGM-0134%20-%20DC%20Policy%20Report.htm)..

Annual Development report 2008 (http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2009/06-23/6%20-%20ACS2009-ICS-PGM-0115%20-%20Annual%20Development%20Report.htm) (not yet online)

waterloowarrior
Jun 17, 2009, 11:39 AM
Putting Tunney's out to pasture
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Kelly+Egan+Putting+Tunney+pasture/1703514/story.html

BY KELLY EGAN, THE OTTAWA CITIZENJUNE 17, 2009 7:18 AMBE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

OTTAWA — About 60 years after work first began on Tunney's Pasture, the federal government would like a "master plan" for the site, now home to 10,000 public servants.

Public Works and Government Services Canada has just chosen a consulting firm (HOK Canada) of architects and planners to come up with the grand blueprint. A spokesman for Public Works said the plan is to address the government's space needs for the next 10 to 20 years, which may involve new construction or overhauling old buildings.

Spread over 120 acres, Tunney's is the largest of what the feds like to call "employment nodes," or government complexes outside the capital's core.

It has taken on greater strategic significance because the City of Ottawa has approved a major light-rail stop on its doorstep.

Though there has been no public announcement, consultation with outside parties is due to begin this summer with a final report due in the fall of 2010.

On the surface, this is great news. Let's be honest. At the moment, Tunney's Pasture is a collection of banal, charmless buildings spread across boulevards built strangely wide and leading nowhere.

The site certainly gives the impression of a creation from another era. It was conceived in the post-war boom as a means of decentralizing the public service across the capital. That much worked.

The result is a cross between a campus and an industrial park, wedged between Scott Street and the Ottawa River Parkway. More than anything, it seems to warehouse workers and their cars, with the exterior layout offering little concession to human activity.

Indeed, the impression on a sunny lunch hour at Tunney's is of 10,000 people escaping, pouring out onto Holland Avenue.

History helps explain why Tunney's appears so inward-looking, as though turning its back on the neighbourhood.

Once the domain of a cattle farmer named Anthony Tunney, an Irish immigrant, the property was sold to the feds in 1949 for about $740,000. One of the first major buildings erected was the new headquarters for the Bureau of Statistics, which officially opened in September 1952. The coverage bristled with the notion that big and new was the way to go. It was modern. It had parking.

Its cafeteria, for instance, was said to be the biggest in Canada, seating 1,500 at a time. And this was a good thing. From the Citizen of the day: For the Bureau of Statistics staff, the feeling is gone that they were working in an old shed or maybe a former stable. Vanished are the elbow-to-elbow sweat shop conditions. "This," sums up chief statistician Herbert Marshall, "is a real statistics factory."

The story went on to describe rooms that were 300 feet long, with wide corridors and abundant sunlight. "A purely functional building," said Mr. Marshall. Today, there are 19 buildings on 120 acres, with Health Canada and Statistics Canada probably occupying the most space. The last building erected was the Jean Talon (68,000 square metres), in 1978-79.

Ottawa Coun. Christine Leadman lives in a house that actually backs onto Tunney's. The city and the community have yet to be seriously consulted about the master plan, she added.

She knows very little about the long-term aspirations of Public Works. "There's a lot of question marks about where they are going."

The federal government's intentions in Ottawa are difficult to read, Leadman said. One day they are dropping signals that they want to unload real property to the private sector and lease it back, the next that they may be in an expansion mode. An expanded Tunney's will certainly add more parking pressure, she said. The extension of light-rail to the complex, meanwhile, may throw more regular buses onto Scott Street.

She suspects one of the factors driving the "master plan" is the fact that aging buildings may be due for major retrofits, possibly even demolition.

In the early stages, she wondered whether new housing -- condos or townhouses -- should be contemplated. "Or maybe some commercial along Parkdale. There are so many things they could do to make it a more inviting place. They've created an enclave. "

Absolutely. Among them would be venues with public access, perhaps sports fields or playgrounds, or theatres or even an open food court. Seriously, would a Tim Hortons kill the ambience?

Integrating the surrounding community also does something else. At the moment, the site is a wasteland after 5 p.m. and all weekend. Surely, with a "master plan," we can do better.

Otherwise, bring back the cows.

Contact Kelly Egan at 613-726-5896 or by e-mail, kegan@thecitizen.canwest.com

Mille Sabords
Jun 17, 2009, 12:19 PM
:previous: Speaking of Tunney's, I wish we could de-ruralize at least the name of the transit station there. It should be Holland Avenue. The feds can keep the cow pasture memory alive if they want.