PDA

View Full Version : General Update/Rumour thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70

YOWetal
Oct 28, 2022, 2:15 PM
I wondered about that too. $38M doesn't seem like it would build anything impressive, when you consider what the Y is/does. What's missing, however, is the value of the land as a redevelopment site. I imagine that's a hefty bit of change as well. I wonder how the existing site compares in size to the land that the Good Companions are looking to redevelop/sell?

Yes this must be about the land value and maybe moving to a more suburban area. The other option would be a Y under a residential development.

Ottawacurious
Oct 28, 2022, 2:31 PM
[QUOTE=J.OT13;9774620]
They sold the Orleans Y a few months ago. I suspected it was more about unloading a building largely used as a vaccine clinic, but maybe it is a trend, as you suggest.

Also sold Orillia, Niagara falls, simcoe/Muskoka, mississauga, etc?

kwoldtimer
Oct 28, 2022, 2:39 PM
Good Companions is an awkward site because of the cliff. Roughly 60k square feet triangular area where it could be feasible to build.

Current YMCA land is about 65k.

Surprised it's so close, honestly.

Yes, the cliff could be an issue, but it doesn't seem out of the question, if a project could get the height.

kwoldtimer
Oct 28, 2022, 2:41 PM
Yes this must be about the land value and maybe moving to a more suburban area. The other option would be a Y under a residential development.

Gosh, I hope it still will be the "central" Y, although close to an LRT station could expand things, I guess.

Ottawacurious
Oct 28, 2022, 3:07 PM
Gosh, I hope it still will be the "central" Y, although close to an LRT station could expand things, I guess.

Maybe they want in on the swimming pool proposal at Hurdman.

J.OT13
Oct 28, 2022, 3:21 PM
Maybe they want in on the swimming pool proposal at Hurdman.

Thought that would be a good spot too. Would go with a general sports theme for the area, if it comes to fruition.

A more suburban location is fine as long as it's built adjacent to an O-Train station within 15 minutes from Downtown (passed Hurdman or Tunney's would be too far IMO).

OTSkyline
Oct 28, 2022, 3:35 PM
I'm sure the land has good development potential, but if it's not sold for cheap, then you would think the cost of buying the land, tearing down the complex along with a roughly 15 story tower would not be cheap.

One would think there are lots of other lands around downtown that would be a lot less costly for developers to snap up.

J.OT13
Oct 28, 2022, 3:40 PM
I'm sure the land has good development potential, but if it's not sold for cheap, then you would think the cost of buying the land, tearing down the complex along with a roughly 15 story tower would not be cheap.

One would think there are lots of other lands around downtown that would be a lot less costly for developers to snap up.

I think the best bet would be for a developer to buy the complex and renovate it. Would be a relatively easy project for OCH or CCOC, if the Y were wiling to sell at a discount.

Uhuniau
Oct 28, 2022, 8:02 PM
Good Companions is an awkward site because of the cliff. Roughly 60k square feet triangular area where it could be feasible to build.

Current YMCA land is about 65k.

Surprised it's so close, honestly.

Awkward site, or AWESOME SITE?

Uhuniau
Oct 28, 2022, 8:03 PM

At some point someone will notice that central Ottawa is hollowing out and being hollowed out?

Harley613
Oct 28, 2022, 9:40 PM
At some point someone will notice that central Ottawa is hollowing out and being hollowed out?

I'm trying to comprehend this comment, but I'm struggling. Central Ottawa is getting an injection of thousands of new residential units, and will soon have many office buildings converted to residential units.

rocketphish
Oct 29, 2022, 3:28 PM
Community groups say sale of downtown YMCA-YWCA could mean losing valuable services
Building requires $38M in upgrades, according to CEO

Dan Taekema · CBC News
Posted: Oct 29, 2022 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 7 hours ago

Advocates and social service providers say losing the YMCA-YWCA in downtown Ottawa would leave a hole in the heart of the community and mean saying goodbye to services that will be hard to replicate.

They're urging the charity consider the people who rely on it for support and include them in transition planning as the building is put up for sale. An incoming councillor is also calling for the site to remain a community hub.

"If they have to move out of the ... core, then we lose a really, really valuable downtown service, support and housing," said Michelle Hurtubise, executive director of Centretown Community Health Centre (CCHC).

The centre's staff work with the YMCA regularly, particularly around clients living in the charity's housing units.

Hurtubise described the location at 180 Argyle Avenue as a "classic example" of the right service in the right place to connect users with wraparound supports, from deeply-subsidized recreation programs to employment help.

"It's such a great spot," she explained. "The concern that ... some of our staff has, is that in shutting down and moving, it will be hard to replicate all of that connection to community resources and support."

The YMCA has been a great partner, the director was quick to add, but said she can't help but wonder, "what are we going to lose in that move?"

While many people think of the YMCA as a place to swim, shoot hoops or work out, the location on Argyle Avenue provides much more. Its Shenkman Residence offers transitional housing and monthly supportive housing at a more-affordable rate.

The charity said the sale is part of plans to find or build a facility better-suited to the programs and services it provides.

Built in 1969, the brown-brick building towering over a section of Centretown would require $38 million in upgrades, according to Bob Gallagher, president and CEO of the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region.

He said the building has come to the end of its lifecycle and become a less comfortable place to live as the heat doesn't always work.

Gallagher recognized the YMCA-YWCA's central location with access to services and transit and said those considerations will be factors in choosing the next spot.

"It's about the best location, not the same, but the best to serve the future," he said.

The sale process is expected to take two years and the charity said staff will continue provide services in the meantime with the minimum amount of disruption.

Alexandra Zannis, a social worker and director with the Basic Income Canada Youth Network (BICYN) stressed the importance of continuity of care.

"Moving physical locations, even for the best of reasons can cause a great amount of anxiety and confusion," she explained.

Zannis suggested any information about a move should be provided in multiple languages and take things like mobility access into consideration and the CCHC director agreed.

"If there isn't good conversation with community partners, the impact on the people who are being supported, is so significant. It's easy for them to fall through the cracks," Hurtubise said.

Somerset ward councillor-elect Ariel Troster is among those monitoring the sale.

She called the YMCA-YWCA a "crucial resource" and "key part of the neighbourhood," pointing to its housing and non-profit daycare and would like to see it turned into a community hub.

Troster said the neighbourhood can't lose the housing offered in the building and if the YMCA's not running it, local groups and the city should put their heads together to come up with a strategy to make sure it stays.

"I think making sure that that parcel of land stays and community hands and provides community services will be really, really key going forward."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ymca-argyle-avenue-sale-1.6633800

Uhuniau
Oct 29, 2022, 5:37 PM
I'm trying to comprehend this comment, but I'm struggling. Central Ottawa is getting an injection of thousands of new residential units, and will soon have many office buildings converted to residential units.

But it also keeps losing institutions and retail establishments and other non-residential things to the suburbs.

Hollowing out.

Harley613
Oct 29, 2022, 5:44 PM
But it also keeps losing institutions and retail establishments and other non-residential things to the suburbs.

Hollowing out.

Completely 110% disagree. The odd thing has left the core as part of the natural ebbs and flows of a city, but with all the new residential will come new institutions, retail and entertainment. It is the opposite of hollowing out. Go sit out front of Farm Boy on Metcalfe at any time of day, that area is bustling. The area around 400 Albert and Moon will be the same when those projects are finished. Lebreton and Zibi are well on their way to being 'a place to be'. The massive new project at Lansdowne and all of the midrises going up all down Bank will be amplifying Ottawa's unofficial main street even more. The Byward Market, with all of it's troubles, is still going as strong as ever and is about to receive some major investment from the city, in addition to the private sector building new hotels and thousands of residential units. It's hard to find a place in Ottawa's core that isn't in the process of growing and revitalizing. I have never found Ottawa as exciting as it is right now with all of the investment and growth happening in the core.

Mille Sabords
Oct 30, 2022, 12:15 AM
They will need to find another location downtown. Maybe the old Greyhound station block? They cannot relocate outside downtown, that's a non-starter.

acottawa
Oct 30, 2022, 1:32 PM
Does Charlesfort Developments no longer exist? Their website is dead:

http://www.charlesfort.ca/

If that's the case, it's too bad. They introduced some pretty amazing projects with Hudson Park, the Continental and Merit, along with a few other small projects.

Their last one was a disappointment though. Putman, was it?

They lost a court case recently. I wonder if that put them over the top.

https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-l-csc-a/en/item/19183/index.do

Harley613
Oct 30, 2022, 2:08 PM
They will need to find another location downtown. Maybe the old Greyhound station block? They cannot relocate outside downtown, that's a non-starter.

Brigil owns and has big plans for that block, I really doubt we'll see a Y as part of it.

Norman Bates
Oct 30, 2022, 8:16 PM
They lost a court case recently. I wonder if that put them over the top.

https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-l-csc-a/en/item/19183/index.do

This deals with the construction of the Continental.

While excavating for the parking garage a very large water main was unexpectedly encountered. It did not appear on documents that the City provided to Charlesfort compelling them to make unplanned changes to their construction technique.

Charlesfort sought $6 million compensation claiming the City was negligent, and was awarded $4.5 million in damages at trial.

The City appealed the trial judgement - and won.

Charlesfort petitioned the S.C.C., but the case was dismissed with costs.

So given legal fees, Charlesfort is probably out of pocket somewhere approaching 2022 $10 million.

As well, I think I remember someone mentioning that Doug Casey was dealing with medical issues and in semi-retirement.

Proof Sheet
Oct 30, 2022, 11:26 PM

While excavating for the parking garage a very large water main was unexpectedly encountered. It did not appear on documents that the City provided to Charlesfort compelling them to make unplanned changes to their construction technique.

Charlesfort sought $6 million compensation claiming the City was negligent, and was awarded $4.5 million in damages at trial.

So given legal fees, Charlesfort is probably out of pocket somewhere approaching 2022 $10 million.

As well, I think I remember someone mentioning that Doug Casey was dealing with medical issues and in semi-retirement.

It doesn't surprise me that the City's records were inaccurate and/or incomplete and the City was unaware of the financial implications.

J.OT13
Oct 31, 2022, 1:02 PM

That's too bad. The City should have been held accountable here. Charlsefort was such a great builder. They put up some of the best work in the 2000s and early 2010s.

It doesn't surprise me that the City's records were inaccurate and/or incomplete and the City was unaware of the financial implications.

How did they not know where their watermains are. They certainly knew when planning Stage 2? Was that because Charlsefort found it?

Proof Sheet
Oct 31, 2022, 1:15 PM
That's too bad. The City should have been held accountable here. Charlsefort was such a great builder. They put up some of the best work in the 2000s and early 2010s.

How did they not know where their watermains are. They certainly knew when planning Stage 2? Was that because Charlsefort found it?

Likely it was discovered when Charlesfort found it. City records in the core are often quite incomplete.

J.OT13
Oct 31, 2022, 1:17 PM
Likely it was discovered when Charlesfort found it. City records in the core are often quite incomplete.

Another reason why the City should not have appealed the decision. Charlesfort probably saved us tens of million in unforeseen costs.

rocketphish
Oct 31, 2022, 5:01 PM
The case summary indicates:

Charlesfort Development Limited purchased a property it intended to redevelop for a condominium project, conditional on, inter alia, rezoning of the property. During the rezoning process, a City planner told Charlesfort, in error, that an easement running along the northern edge of the project’s site line, but located on an adjacent property, contained a trunk sewer. In fact, the easement contained a four foot wide water main. The main was three to four feet north of the northern lot line, and it was old and in unknown condition. Millions of gallons of water flowed through it hourly. The misinformation was included in a staff report, and it was corrected by the Planning and Environment Committee at a meeting attended by Charlesfort’s principal planner. A City engineer also noted the presence of the main just north of the property in internal communications, but that response was not forwarded to the City’s planning department or to Charlesfort. The rezoning application was approved without any provision for a below grade setback. In September 2005, Charlesfort waived the purchase conditions concerning rezoning.

In August 2007, Charlesfort applied for site plan approval. During that process, it learned of the contents of the easement, and that the existence of the main meant that it could not excavate and construct its underground parking garage, which was planned to run along the northern lot line. Redesigning the proposed garage and reducing the available parking spots meant significant delays and increased cost. Charlesfort alleged that the City of Ottawa had negligently misrepresented what was in the easement during the rezoning process, and the that City was liable for Charlesfort’s damages, which were approximately $6 million.

The trial judge allowed Charlesfort’s action and awarded damages for increased development costs, lost revenue, and lost interest. The City’s appeal was granted.

https://www.scc-csc.ca/case-dossier/info/sum-som-eng.aspx?cas=39818

J.OT13
Nov 4, 2022, 2:54 PM
Choo plans $2B student housing investment, seniors living growth

Danny Kucharsky, RenX
October 27, 2022

Choo Communities plans to invest $2 billion to build 10,000 student housing beds across Canada over the next several years under its Envie banner.

The developer has already invested $600 million to build about 3,000 beds of student housing in Ottawa near Carleton University and the University of Ottawa.

It also plans to break ground early in 2023 on another 900-bed student housing project in two towers at the corner of Princess and Alfred Streets near Queen’s University in Kingston, Ont. Each development costs about $200 million.

Announcements for two additional student housing developments near two other universities will be made next year. This will give Choo Communities about 5,000 beds near five campuses in an investment of close to $1 billion.

“We are halfway there in our acquisitions,” said David Choo, owner of Ottawa-based Choo Communities. “We are building a portfolio of the most modern student living in the country (and) I don’t think it would be a stretch to say on the continent.”

Choo said he is looking to partner with landowners who may have appropriate locations near Canadian universities to build out the additional 5,000 beds.

He named Vancouver (close to Simon Fraser University), Hamilton, London, Calgary and Edmonton among the cities that could see Envie projects in the coming years, calling the planned $2 billion investment in the Envie portfolio “significant.”

“There’s a big shortage of good quality student accommodations,” he said. “We want to provide 10,000 beds that are the most modern in the country.”

Ottawa student housing development

The first Envie development, the 1,100-bed Envie – Little Italy, at 101 Champagne Ave. S. in Ottawa, targets Carleton students.

It was followed by Envie Rideau, which was completed in late August and consists of two 30-storey towers that are about 65 per cent leased. Choo expects the 900-bed project at 56 Rideau St. to be fully leased by next May or September by University of Ottawa students.

Fully furnished studios at Envie Rideau start at $1,700 per month. Amenities include lounges, study areas, an outdoor rooftop area and fitness rooms for both cardio and weights.

Choo said Envie Rideau is helping to dispel the notion that Sandy Hill, which is home to many University of Ottawa students residing in single-family homes, is a student ghetto. “We think we’re helping to solve some of the student housing shortage for Ottawa U.”

Choo said he is building “self-contained communities that provide students all the needs to have a healthy environment to do well in school. We are as lofty in our goals to say that we hope the future leaders of our country are going to come from the Envie brand.”

Astoria senior community

On the seniors housing front, Choo Communities is also building the 350-unit Astoria, a luxury lifestyle community for Ottawa seniors.

It consists of two interconnected buildings of 10 and eight storeys at 130 and 136 Central Park Dr. Units range from 407 to 1,152 square feet.

The development is an extension of the existing two-building Alavida Lifestyles Park Place Community at the site, which involves an investment of more than $300 million.

Astoria will provide everything from luxury living for independent seniors to luxury end-of-life care.

“Some brands operate what they call a seniors' independent building,” Choo said. “The problem is that as you get older and your health care needs increase, then those brands boot you out and you have to find another brand to take care of you.”

By contrast, residents in the Alavida community can be streamlined into other buildings that provide additional services if their health-care needs increase.

“We have the facilities to provide any degree of care that you want and need,” Choo said. “More and more, that’s what the smart senior wants. Once you come into the community, why would you ever want to leave? That’s a promise we make in the Alavida brand.”

The first Astoria building provides independent living, limited access to dining facilities and “the most flexible options in Ottawa” for autonomous seniors. The other building includes a full meal plan and entry into the Alavida health care platform.

“If you come to an Alavida community, we can take care of you at all stages. There’s no brand in the country that’s doing it in the way we’re doing it,” he said.

“Living in these buildings is your own private resort. It’s going to have the feel of a resort. Everything that you need for luxury living is there at your fingertips and within walking distance. That’s the new leading-edge platform for senior living.”

Residents will start moving into the first Astoria buildings in June 2023 and the second building will be finished six to eight months later.

Westboro neighbourhood growth

Choo Communities will also be increasing its presence in Ottawa’s Westboro neighbourhood.

“We have holdings there which account for 10 per cent of the entire urban residential portfolio of Westboro, the most popular urban community in the city,” Choo says.

“We’re building over 400,000 square feet of luxury rentals, luxury condos and a seniors-oriented residential building in Westboro similar to Astoria."

https://renx.ca/choo-communities-expansion-student-housing-senior-community

OTSkyline
Nov 4, 2022, 3:27 PM
56 Rideau Street brings me to the Rideau Centre on Google Maps. Did they get the address wrong?

And which projects or lots are they referring to in Westboro?

J.OT13
Nov 4, 2022, 3:40 PM
56 Rideau Street brings me to the Rideau Centre on Google Maps. Did they get the address wrong?

And which projects or lots are they referring to in Westboro?

Choo is Ashcroft. The Westboro canyon of near Island Park is all part of their portfolio and they have more coming up around the convent.

As for Rideau, they meant this one neat to Claridge Plazas:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4283728,-75.6866804,3a,75y,188.06h,131.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swPAF0pX6umM4sLBPMIflxg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207513&page=19

acottawa
Nov 4, 2022, 3:42 PM

The Envie is at 256 Rideau. I am not sure if the "900 bed project" is a description of the Envy or another project. Maybe just a typo.

SL123
Nov 4, 2022, 4:00 PM
''Fully furnished studios at Envie Rideau start at $1,700 per month.''

it is crazy to me that rent for a student residence is that high. I dont even pay that much for a 1bedroom and I work full time in a above minimum wage job and even I could not afford to pay this unless I made significant change to my lifestyle and stopped investing in my pension and TFSA.

Completely nuts

OTSkyline
Nov 4, 2022, 5:23 PM
Oh yeah, definitely expensive but student residences have always been expensive (you pay for the convenience of being on or close to campus) and Rez prices have been going up a lot in past several years as well.. a Studio or 1Bdr at OttawaU is $20,000/year (for 1 person), so very similar price.

For a brand new build, furnished with most likely all utilities included, it's still expensive but somewhat relative to the rest of the market.

*That being said, I'm glad we were able to rent a 3bdr for $1,500 10-12 years ago and call it a day at $500/month/per person.

acottawa
Nov 4, 2022, 5:54 PM
These are targeted at affluent foreign students I assume?

JHikka
Nov 4, 2022, 7:03 PM

Domestic students as well. Res living in urban universities is nothing to blush at.

Fading Isle
Nov 4, 2022, 7:14 PM

Last I looked (maybe 6-months ago), $1600-1700 is about the going rate to rent a 1-bedroom apartment downtown these days, so with these being furnished and right beside the university, I don't see why these would be targeted at anyone more affluent than the average renter downtown.

Edit: Apparently not just downtown. $1699 is the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment anywhere in Ottawa: https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/ottawa-on

YOWetal
Nov 4, 2022, 11:21 PM
Oh yeah, definitely expensive but student residences have always been expensive (you pay for the convenience of being on or close to campus) and Rez prices have been going up a lot in past several years as well.. a Studio or 1Bdr at OttawaU is $20,000/year (for 1 person), so very similar price.

For a brand new build, furnished with most likely all utilities included, it's still expensive but somewhat relative to the rest of the market.

*That being said, I'm glad we were able to rent a 3bdr for $1,500 10-12 years ago and call it a day at $500/month/per person.

Living alone as a student or in dorm is still for the relatively affluent. Did a quick search and yes 3 or 4 bedrooms for $500 a person ($525 here) still available.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/24873794/410-cambridge-street-unit2-ottawa-glebe-annex

acottawa
Nov 5, 2022, 12:41 PM
Last I looked (maybe 6-months ago), $1600-1700 is about the going rate to rent a 1-bedroom apartment downtown these days, so with these being furnished and right beside the university, I don't see why these would be targeted at anyone more affluent than the average renter downtown.

Edit: Apparently not just downtown. $1699 is the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment anywhere in Ottawa: https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/ottawa-on

What kind of a middle class student is renting a one bedroom apartment?

Fading Isle
Nov 5, 2022, 12:51 PM
What kind of a middle class student is renting a one bedroom apartment?

The average price of a studio us $1399, up 20% from last year. My point is housing is really expensive, and the furnished studio apartments being discussed appear to be at market value, not inflated to target the affluent: http://https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/ottawa-on (https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/ottawa-on)

J.OT13
Nov 5, 2022, 1:16 PM
Remember how Envie Champagne was "condos" that people would buy and rent out to students. That was a strange concept.

Harley613
Nov 5, 2022, 1:18 PM
Remember how Envie Champagne was "condos" that people would buy and rent out to students. That was a strange concept.

Only the taller tower if memory serves

kwoldtimer
Nov 5, 2022, 1:36 PM

Pretty common in Waterloo, iinm.

Uhuniau
Nov 10, 2022, 12:22 AM
Completely 110% disagree. The odd thing

Like every hardware store?

has left the core as part of the natural ebbs and flows of a city, but with all the new residential will come new institutions, retail and entertainment.

Yes, it will. Eventually.

In the meantime: hollowing out.

It is the opposite of hollowing out. Go sit out front of Farm Boy on Metcalfe at any time of day, that area is bustling.

It is! Anyone interested in urbanism should take note of the benefit of and opportunities associated with being on that fringe between residential and intensive non-residential land uses. It keeps that spot, and other similar locations hopping.

But overall: she's hollowing out.

The area around 400 Albert and Moon will be the same when those projects are finished.

There's that future tense again, but in the meantime, we are at risk of losing the downtown Y. That's a hollowing out.

It's hard to find a place in Ottawa's core that isn't in the process of growing and revitalizing. I have never found Ottawa as exciting as it is right now with all of the investment and growth happening in the core.

It's also hard to find a place to go grab a lunch to bring back to your desk.

Harley613
Nov 10, 2022, 12:42 AM
Like every hardware store?

Yes, it will. Eventually.

In the meantime: hollowing out.

It is! Anyone interested in urbanism should take note of the benefit of and opportunities associated with being on that fringe between residential and intensive non-residential land uses. It keeps that spot, and other similar locations hopping.

But overall: she's hollowing out.

There's that future tense again, but in the meantime, we are at risk of losing the downtown Y. That's a hollowing out.

It's also hard to find a place to go grab a lunch to bring back to your desk.

Hardware stores are pretty rare in the downtown core of any 1.5 million population region. There is only one hardware store that has left the core of Ottawa in the last decade, that I can think of.

The Home Hardware in the Byward Market has become an ethnic food store. I would say that is far more important and vibrant use of the building than a place to buy a hammer, especially in the core of a burgeoning cosmopolitan G7 Capital. Definitely not 'hollowing out'.

You're having a hard time finding a place to grab a lunch and bring back to your desk downtown lately? Sure, the food courts in certain office complexes have suffered hard since covid, but try walking a block or two. There are literally hundreds of options in the core for you to grab lunch, and they are as good or better then they were before Covid. We have lost a lot of 'food court' fare downtown in the last couple of years, but the foodie scene prevailed through Covid. Nobody is walking over a a few hundred metres in the core to find a good meal. There is no 'hollowing out' of the core. There is natural change that happens when a region moves between one million and two million residents rapidly, and there are some effects from the pandemic.

acottawa
Nov 10, 2022, 2:21 AM
Hardware stores are pretty rare in the downtown core of any 1.5 million population region. There is only one hardware store that has left the core of Ottawa in the last decade, that I can think of.

The Home Hardware in the Byward Market has become an ethnic food store. I would say that is far more important and vibrant use of the building than a place to buy a hammer, especially in the core of a burgeoning cosmopolitan G7 Capital. Definitely not 'hollowing out'.

You're having a hard time finding a place to grab a lunch and bring back to your desk downtown lately? Sure, the food courts in certain office complexes have suffered hard since covid, but try walking a block or two. There are literally hundreds of options in the core for you to grab lunch, and they are as good or better then they were before Covid. We have lost a lot of 'food court' fare downtown in the last couple of years, but the foodie scene prevailed through Covid. Nobody is walking over a a few hundred metres in the core to find a good meal. There is no 'hollowing out' of the core. There is natural change that happens when a region moves between one million and two million residents rapidly, and there are some effects from the pandemic.

A place to buy a hammer is useful. When I lived in the market I went to that Home Hardware fairly often to buy filters for the fan coil unit, kitchen stuff, hardware, etc. You increasingly have to drive to the burbs to get the most basic goods, which is not true in most larger cities.

There is no conceivable way dining options in the core are as good or better than before COVID. The few survivors have cut back their menus. Most locations that used to have restaurants are gone. Most of the food trucks are gone.

Harley613
Nov 10, 2022, 2:51 AM
A place to buy a hammer is useful. When I lived in the market I went to that Home Hardware fairly often to buy filters for the fan coil unit, kitchen stuff, hardware, etc. You increasingly have to drive to the burbs to get the most basic goods, which is not true in most larger cities.

There is no conceivable way dining options in the core are as good or better than before COVID. The few survivors have cut back their menus. Most locations that used to have restaurants are gone. Most of the food trucks are gone.

It's useful, sure, but is the core being 'hollowed out' because you have to travel down bank or wellington a couple of kilometers to buy that hammer, or ride a train a few stops in the very near future? I am from Calgary and there is only one hardware store in the entire core, but that's normal for a large city the size of Calgary or Ottawa.

I am not arguing that food options are better in Ottawa are as good or better than Covid, I'm arguing that the food options are not 'hollowed out' and people in the core have high quality food available within easy walking distance.

movebyleap
Nov 10, 2022, 6:24 AM
...and that is why I love Montreal. Little urban hardware stores every other block, nestled among cafes and apartments. In Ottawa it's all about criss crossing the city from east to west, from north to south in order to purchase, say, bird food, avocado and some lightbulbs.

lrt's friend
Nov 10, 2022, 1:04 PM
downtown Ottawa has changed a lot in my lifetime. For the most part, shopping diversity has plummeted. We have seen how people used to go downtown for that diversity and now they have to go to the suburbs. The trend towards big box stores is a big part of this. They don't fit the downtown environment. The smaller stores that used to exist downtown are simply not competitive.

I believe that a hardware store is something that everybody needs sooner or later (that is why there used to be multiple hardware stores in Centretown), just as most people need a place that sells appliances, something that used to be stocked in downtown department stores. Likewise furniture. A lot of these stores are not conveniently located in the suburbs near transit. When a variety of services are not convenient, how does this promote an urban lifestyle?

phil235
Nov 10, 2022, 2:00 PM
downtown Ottawa has changed a lot in my lifetime. For the most part, shopping diversity has plummeted. We have seen how people used to go downtown for that diversity and now they have to go to the suburbs. The trend towards big box stores is a big part of this. They don't fit the downtown environment. The smaller stores that used to exist downtown are simply not competitive.

I believe that a hardware store is something that everybody needs sooner or later (that is why there used to be multiple hardware stores in Centretown), just as most people need a place that sells appliances, something that used to be stocked in downtown department stores. Likewise furniture. A lot of these stores are not conveniently located in the suburbs near transit. When a variety of services are not convenient, how does this promote an urban lifestyle?

This is very true. The whole point of urban living is that you don't have to go a few kilometres out of the core to meet your day to day needs.

In terms of shopping moving to the suburbs, I think that is part of a bigger retail trend that has happened everywhere. Big box dominated by a few big chains took over the market everywhere (though the complete lack of an actual shopping experience is part of the reason why they are now losing market share to online). Part of that is also due to policy - our tax system actually rewards retailers for building cheap, disposable buildings surrounded by a sea of parking. Some changes in that regard would definitely shift the "competitive balance".

That said, in terms of shopping experience and diversity of offerings, downtown still easily beats the power centres that repeat over and over in our suburbs.

Acajack
Nov 10, 2022, 2:08 PM
...and that is why I love Montreal. Little urban hardware stores every other block, nestled among cafes and apartments. In Ottawa it's all about criss crossing the city from east to west, from north to south in order to purchase, say, bird food, avocado and some lightbulbs.

Where my kid lives in Montreal there is a small neighbourhood hardware store barely a five-minute walk away.

Obviously I don't go there to buy basic tools, but when I am doing work there, sometimes I need a specific thing that only a hardware store has like, say, a certain size of anchor plugs to stabilize screws in drywall. I'd hate to have to hop into a car and drive 20 minutes out (not counting traffic) to Ville St-Laurent just for that.

And let's not even mention how that would go without a car.

There is also an urban Canadian Tire about 3-4 bus stops away from my kid's apartment.

postingaboutottawa
Nov 10, 2022, 2:11 PM
You can very easily get lightbulbs and pet food in centretown, part of the situation isn't suburban big box stores but large format shoppers which have most household goods and basic food options at a better price than any small format owner operated place can compete with.

If there is a real hollowing out its not food options or specialty stores but venues and not gentrified bars

Uhuniau
Nov 10, 2022, 4:40 PM

In my time in Ottawa, we've lost hardware stores on Elgin, in the Market, on Beechwood, and the Kent Canadian Tire.

You're having a hard time finding a place to grab a lunch and bring back to your desk downtown lately?

Yes.

Sure, the food courts in certain office complexes have suffered hard since covid, but try walking a block or two. There are literally hundreds of options in the core for you to grab lunch,

There are not literally hundreds.

yotajoe
Nov 10, 2022, 5:05 PM
If there is a real hollowing out its not food options or specialty stores but venues and not gentrified bars

Couldn't agree more with this.

Venues and bars are lacking so hard in Centertown its not even funny, even Barrymores is gone now.

nredding
Nov 10, 2022, 5:24 PM
As a Glebe homeowner I find my neighborhood Home Hardware to be really convenient. Many of my expenditures are for less than $10 when I need a particular screw or some such small item.

Uhuniau
Nov 10, 2022, 5:43 PM
Oh, and on the food downtown thing - I'm not overly concerned about that. It has massive ebbs and flows at the best of times, let alone during and in the wake of the pandemic.

But the loss of small commercial spaces as everything at-grade gets rebuilt as Shoppers-sized spaces, the losses in institutional space, the fact we are I think the biggest Canadian city without a hospital actually in the city centre except in the most expansive sense... it all adds up.

acottawa
Nov 10, 2022, 6:42 PM
You can very easily get lightbulbs and pet food in centretown, part of the situation isn't suburban big box stores but large format shoppers which have most household goods and basic food options at a better price than any small format owner operated place can compete with.

The large format shoppers (and larger convenience stores) have at best one or two thing per category, which is hardly a replacement for the hardware stores, pet food stores, discount department stores, etc.

acottawa
Nov 10, 2022, 7:03 PM
I lived in the market 2004-2009 without a car.

At that time, there was a hardware store, the Bay at the time carried a general range of goods, as did the sears, there was a zellers downtown, there were also night spots of various types, movie theatres, etc. There were also a few furniture stores at different price points and a few stores that sold electronics.

It was actually quite rare that I had to leave the market/downtown area, usually for something big ticket or Ikea.

Now I think it is a totally different situation. Almost all of the things on my list above you have to go to the suburbs for.

lrt's friend
Nov 10, 2022, 7:40 PM
The large format shoppers (and larger convenience stores) have at best one or two thing per category, which is hardly a replacement for the hardware stores, pet food stores, discount department stores, etc.

When discount stores were modest in size, it was possible for them to be downtown. There was a Woolworth's, Zellers and Metropolitan Store on Sparks Street, Woolworth's, Metropolitan and Kresge's (the precursor of Kmart) on Rideau. There was a hardware store right next to Ogilvy's on Rideau for decades and another on Bank north of Gladstone, also for decades. I guess, when the owners retired, there was nothing to replace them.

Downtown is not hollowing out in one sense, because there is the most people living downtown since the 1940s or 1950s, but the selection of stores (beyond fashion and few other categories) and entertainment has declined and does not match the influx of new residents. Thankfully, the issue of downtown being a food desert has slowly been resolved.

Harley613
Nov 10, 2022, 7:47 PM
In my time in Ottawa, we've lost hardware stores on Elgin, in the Market, on Beechwood, and the Kent Canadian Tire.

Yes.

There are not literally hundreds.

Except...there ARE literally hundreds of places to grab food. Just in Downtown/Centretown between Bronson and Elgin, and north of the 417, you have 236 places on this incomplete list I just hacked out in a few minutes. Go a few blocks in any direction outside of that box and you have hundreds more.

Tim Horton's
Mcdonalds
Starbucks
Marcellos
Bridghead
Subway
Harvey's
Pizza Pizza
The Ministry of Coffee
Happy Goat
Manhattan's
Creperie Rim
Riviera
D'Arcy McGees
Little Victories
Edoko
Nandos
Fattoush Lady
Taste of Mediterranean
Grill 41
Beckta
Browns
Clocktower
Genji
Johnny Farina
Zak's Elgin
Chef on Wheels
The Whalesbone
Deacon Brodies
Big Daddie's
Oriental House
German Doner Kebab
Ginza Ramen & Sushi
Uncle Tetsu
Harmon's
Maclaren's
Sir John A
Town
Citizen
House of Georgie
Happy Fish
Pure Kitchen
Charlotte
Al's Steakhouse
Eden's Cafe
Lemongrass
The Waverley
Giulia
The Captain's Boil
Stay Gold
The Lietenant's Pump
Gitanes
The Manx
Elgin Street Diner
El Camino
St. Louis
Datsun
Elgin Beer Project
Le Moulin de Provence
Shawarma Express
Mad Radish
Cocotte
Asian Bistro
Pico Pizza
Colonnade Pizza
Farm Boy
Russell's Lounge
Mamma Teresa
Union Local 613
T's Pub
Buyers + Cellars
Prohibition
Trofi
Arlo
J:unique Kitchen
Seoul Dog
Dosa & Curries
Grounded Kitchen
Tosca
Thali
Jinsei Ramen
Booster Juice
A&W
Bar Robo
Green Rebel
Queen St. Fare
Sen Kitchen
Aiana
Bier Markt
Five Nights at Freddy's
Kebob Kebob
Asian Gourmet
Stolen Goods
Freshii
Sushi Shop
Nate's Deli
Palermo Express
Fiazza
Rabbit Hole
Brixton's
The Office Resto Pub
Jackalope
Hideway Adventure House
Mulligan's Golf Bar
Le Monde
Rideau Club (for the rich)
Mumbai Masala
Juice Monkey
Afterlight
City at Night
C'est Japon
Toro Taqueria
Sansotei Ramen
Gogiya
Eggspectation
Bread & Sons
Roast N Curries
Burrito Sensei
Sip Tea
New King Shawarma
Magic Molecule
T&D Chips
Afghani Kabob
B&B's Chips
Yang's
Yunshang
Gabriels
Atomic Rooster
Great Canadian Poutinerie
The Gilmour
Burger's n Fries Forever
Gongfu Bao
Thimblecakes
Shawarma King
Social Thai
Fauna
Moo Shu
Talai Thai
Meow! That's Hot
Arlington Five
Wilf & Adas
Gogiya Sushi n Poke
Real Fruit Bubble Tea
Pizza Nerds
Flora Hall
KFC
Shawarma Palace
Three Tarts
Hanabi
Bramasole
Pizzeria da Rommolo
Dumpling? Dumpling!
Wolf Down
Tamis Cafe
Island Grill
2 For 1 Pizza
The Royal Oak
Viet Thai
Cheese it Pizza
Takeout King
Coco Fresh
The Greek Souvlaki Shack
Desi Tiffin Dhaba
Euro Mex Resto
Saigon Pho
Tacolot
Asian Kitchen
Kyoto Sushi
Paradise Poke
Cafe Delice
Manhattan Handmade Burgers
3 Brewers
Teriyaki Experience
Red Pepper Thai-Viet
Rice & Roll
Swizzles
Gooney's Sandwiches
Euro Bistro
Yimin Dim Sum
Aroma Meze
North & Navy
Ceylonta
Subito
Falafel Scoop
Aux Bons Poivrons
Mazarine
On Rice
Angry Dragonz
Green Rebel
Spin Kitchen
Delikat Cafe
Prova Bar & Kitchen
Lift Resto Lounge
Copper Branch
Baton Rouge
Madison's
Fatneck's Halal Burgers
Shawarma Andolos
Pour Boy
Bronson's Pizza
2 Bites Shawarma
BBQ Golden Grill
The Vanitea Room
Ricardo's Pizza
Occo Kitchen
Arthouse
La Fiesta Latina
Desert First
Ottawa Kebab
True Loaf
The Curry Palace
Iham Injera
Le Poisson Bleu
Vip Karaoke Bar
Jadeland
Mekong
Ciao Italia
Rangoon
Yen Fung Ding
Saigon Boy
Yang Sheng
Bronson Pizza
Centretown Donair
Jax
Papa Joes
Burrito Gringo
Subway
Harvey's

J.OT13
Nov 10, 2022, 8:26 PM
I lived in the market 2004-2009 without a car.

At that time, there was a hardware store, the Bay at the time carried a general range of goods, as did the sears, there was a zellers downtown, there were also night spots of various types, movie theatres, etc. There were also a few furniture stores at different price points and a few stores that sold electronics.

It was actually quite rare that I had to leave the market/downtown area, usually for something big ticket or Ikea.

Now I think it is a totally different situation. Almost all of the things on my list above you have to go to the suburbs for.

Does HBC have a hardware section? Do they still sell furniture and appliances?

If so, they are just about the only game in town.

I've said this many times before, but look at the services and retail options in a suburb of 100k v. the inner-urban area. It's frustrating how the car oriented areas have so many options while the urban area where people walk and take transit has very few options.

acottawa
Nov 10, 2022, 8:52 PM
Does HBC have a hardware section? Do they still sell furniture and appliances?

If so, they are just about the only game in town.

I've said this many times before, but look at the services and retail options in a suburb of 100k v. the inner-urban area. It's frustrating how the car oriented areas have so many options while the urban area where people walk and take transit has very few options.

I don't think HBC has had a hardware section within my memory. I am not sure if they still sell furniture. I was in the small appliance section recently and it is much diminished from what it used to be. Perhaps their plan to reopen Zellers would put more regular household items in their stores.

J.OT13
Nov 10, 2022, 8:56 PM
I don't think HBC has had a hardware section within my memory. I am not sure if they still sell furniture. I was in the small appliance section recently and it is much diminished from what it used to be. Perhaps their plan to reopen Zellers would put more regular household items in their stores.

That's too bad. Seems they are missing out on much needed services. Instead, they are doubling down on the oversaturated clothing market.

lrt's friend
Nov 10, 2022, 10:44 PM
It is really too bad how consumers have become so entranced by big box stores that are so car oriented. Basically, in almost all retail sectors, we demand massive stores with numerous choices. Overall, there is probably less choice, but who notices. This all started when Chapters almost entirely wiped out the small independent book stores, which tailored their selections to the local market and could be located in most retail areas. When I needed an appliance during the pandemic, the local retailer could not even get merchandise because the big box stores were give priority from suppliers. So, not only are we being seduced by big box stores, we are sometimes being forced to be a customer. I used to like buying appliances and electronics from Bleeker's because their staff was so knowledgeable, but the big box stores also wiped out their business. Service means nothing these days. The big box image was all that mattered. It wasn't even necessarily about price. I laugh when people talk about which is the 'best' Walmart knowing that these people will drive across the city to go there.

phil235
Nov 10, 2022, 11:15 PM
It is really too bad how consumers have become so entranced by big box stores that are so car oriented. Basically, in almost all retail sectors, we demand massive stores with numerous choices. Overall, there is probably less choice, but who notices. This all started when Chapters almost entirely wiped out the small independent book stores, which tailored their selections to the local market and could be located in most retail areas. When I needed an appliance during the pandemic, the local retailer could not even get merchandise because the big box stores were give priority from suppliers. So, not only are we being seduced by big box stores, we are sometimes being forced to be a customer. I used to like buying appliances and electronics from Bleeker's because their staff was so knowledgeable, but the big box stores also wiped out their business. Service means nothing these days. The big box image was all that mattered. It wasn't even necessarily about price. I laugh when people talk about which is the 'best' Walmart knowing that these people will drive across the city to go there.

There are stores bucking the trend. The Audio Shop is still going strong on Bank St. When I bought my last TV they were competitive on price and the service was great. So much easier than driving to a big box. In their quest to save a buck, I’m not sure people even know what they are missing (or how quickly their savings get eaten up in gas).

lrt's friend
Nov 11, 2022, 1:40 AM
There are stores bucking the trend. The Audio Shop is still going strong on Bank St. When I bought my last TV they were competitive on price and the service was great. So much easier than driving to a big box. In their quest to save a buck, I’m not sure people even know what they are missing (or how quickly their savings get eaten up in gas).

On top of that, we are seldomly concerned with product quality. This has led us to a situation where almost everything is non-repairable and gets disposed of, including modern appliances and electronics.

rocketphish
Nov 17, 2022, 5:56 PM
Hydro Ottawa looking at burying more power lines after latest storm
Strategic burials could help reroute power, says CEO

Matthew Kupfer · CBC News
Posted: Nov 17, 2022 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 9 hours ago

https://i.cbc.ca/1.6462939.1653254899!/fileImage/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/16x9_780/ottawa-wind-storm-damage-2022.JPG

A report from Hydro Ottawa says the devastating windstorm earlier this year has pushed the organization to prioritize burying some hydro lines and improving communication with customers during "large-scale weather events."

The report from the local utility reflected on and reviewed the impact of the May 21 derecho that took out more than 500 hydro poles and left thousands of customers without power for days.

In the past, it's warned about the costs of burying hydro lines — both upfront and in terms of maintenance — but the report says burying lines in strategic locations could help avoid some larger disruptions.

"It's expensive, but we expect these storms, hopefully not derechos … [to] become more and more frequent and more and more severe. It's our job to plan for that." said Bryce Conrad, president and CEO of Hydro Ottawa.

Conrad said lines could be buried along north-south corridors such as Woodroffe Avenue, Merivale Road or Greenbank Road — all damaged in the 2018 tornadoes and last May's powerful wind storm — so power could be rerouted in the event of another widespread outage.

Burying lines across the city "would make no sense" given the cost, he said. Hydro Ottawa has previously estimated servicing underground lines costs 11 times more than overhead wires, and burying all the lines in its territory would take 90 years and $10 billion.

"Just because the infrastructure is buried doesn't mean it's perfect nor is it protected," Conrad said.

The prospect of burying lines will be considered on a case-by-case basis as the city does other road work, said Conrad, while other efforts to protect infrastructure, such as using composite material poles along some corridors, will help.

Trying to protect against 190 km/h winds would be cost-prohibitive, he added.

"We're not building to meet the next derecho. We're building to meet the next severe weather events, which can be up to and including 135-145 [km/h] winds," he said.

Conrad said he's seeing the real effects of climate change in the service area with more severe weather events.

The report updated the estimated cost of this storm's recovery to $23.8 million, which is less than the estimated $30 million cost included in a City of Ottawa memo released in September.

Conrad said that will affect the municipally-owned company's bottom line and reduce the dividend paid out to the city by up to $3.6 million, unless the province follows through on promised recovery funding.

In an interview with CBC News Monday, Ontario Finance Minister Peter Bethanfalvy said talks about the funding were still underway.

The derecho itself took 15 minutes to wreak havoc on Hydro Ottawa's infrastructure, but it took days to understand its scope. Conrad said his initial report of 225 poles needing repair eventually soared to 540.

While more than half of Hydro Ottawa customers had power restored within 48 hours, some were left waiting weeks. Conrad did point to a success of the response effort: a lack of workplace injuries among crews working long hours to restore power.

https://i.imgur.com/0AinFlP.png

The report's section on improving communication and planning focused on a need to prepare for larger and longer-lasting service disruptions — a process that involves looking at utilities that regularly deal with severe weather "such as hurricanes."

Conrad said Hydro Ottawa will launch a text message-based system for customers to report and receive updates on outages.

He said the failure of the outage map during the derecho will also be addressed. He said a new and improved outage map is in the works so it can provide useful information to customers and the strategic operations team during a large-scale event.

The city's emergency broadcast system could have been used more effectively during the May 2022 response, he added.

With files from Omar Dabaghi-Pacheco

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/hydro-ottawa-storm-derecho-report-lines-towers-1.6653450

rocketphish
Nov 18, 2022, 5:52 PM
Is it time to unchain our stairs?
It's strange that in a city where it can — and does — snow anytime between October and April, officials seem unable or unwilling to keep public paths and stairs open year-round.

Bruce Deachman, Ottawa Citizen
Nov 18, 2022 • 32 minutes ago • 4 minute read

https://smartcdn.gprod.postmedia.digital/ottawacitizen/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/stairslines-v2_274002446_qw-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=600

“There is no tourism in winter.”

That is what a Parliament Hill security guard actually said to me this week when I tried to access the now-closed-for-the-season staircase behind the Centre Block on Parliament Hill, near the fenced-off statue of a possibly unamused Queen Victoria. I presume he was not speaking in any official capacity, on the record, or for anyone but himself. And yet I suspect that Ottawa Tourism might hold a differing opinion. Winterlude’s mascots, the Ice Hogs, must be bristling in their burrows (or wherever it is they live) at the thought of their presumed seasonal uselessness.

The tourism argument aside, though, it does seem strange that in a city where it can — and does — snow anytime between October and April, officials seem unable or unwilling to keep public paths and stairs open year-round.

Are we not hardy Ottawans who welcome our climate and geography? We turn Canada geese into life-saving parkas. We sweep granite stones on frozen paths for fun. We proudly wear beards of ice as we take selfies skating on the world’s largest rink in sub-arctic temperatures. We don’t capitulate to winter; we embrace it. We own it. Are we going to let a few snowflakes barricade our portals to the outdoors?

Oh… wait… We are?

It’s not as if we don’t know it’s going to be a long, cold winter. It’s always a long, cold winter in Ottawa. We are the seventh-coldest capital city in the world.

Do you think they’re cordoning off public staircases in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia? I asked the Embassy of Mongolia here in Ottawa. They are not. Public staircases in the world’s coldest capital, I was told, remain open and accessible year-round. So why not ours?

Because, really, you’d think that in a place where we’ve come up with a million uses for winter, we might also find a way to keep our steps clear of some snow and ice.

There’s a staircase that I feel is emblematic of how the city bows down to winter. It spirals up from Colonel By Drive to the Laurier Avenue Bridge over the Rideau Canal. It is not maintained during the winter, so its fair-weather climbers will soon have to find an alternate route — perhaps through both the Westin Hotel and Rideau Centre to the Mackenzie King Bridge, then along Albert/Slater streets and through Confederation Park to finally get to Laurier.

I’m beginning to wonder whether the Franklin expedition was really looking for the Northwest Passage, or simply trying to navigate its way from Sparks Street to the Bytown Museum, and somehow got seriously misdirected by all the closures.

Sure, I hear you say, what about liability? That’s always a risk. It’s why jurisdictions erect signs everywhere telling you what not to do. But if we’re so risk averse, why live in Canada in the first place? Liability? How about liveability?

The NCC doesn’t mention liability in its reasoning to shutter stairs. Citing “limited resources,” the federal agency says it “maintains the pathways providing an important link to the pedestrian system or servicing NCC winter programs during the winter season, in partnership with the two local municipalities.”

Regarding other paths and stairways, the NCC says it limits its snow removal operations “since plowing, scraping, sanding and salting reduces their life cycle by half.” But that’s presumably true of roads, too. I’m not suggesting that roads go unmaintained, but somewhere in all the subtext one might read something like: “We just don’t think the staircases you’re talking about are all that important.”

Even the National War Memorial — which I hasten to add is accessible year-round — has a couple of routes to it blocked off during the winter.

The city provided some details of its snow-clearing protocols on paths and stairs, including that it maintains “SOME (my emphasis) City-owned stairways where there is no ramp or alternative access to the pathway within a reasonable distance,” as well as this: “We do not clear steps in parks except in cases where there is a field house or facility that is programmed during the winter months.”

It may as well read, “There’s nothing organized going on in this park, so take your little dog somewhere else.”

The city is even prepared to fine you a minimum of $125 for using part of a park that is closed or restricted. I’m okay with the fine, but only if the city uses the money to buy a shovel and bag of salt from Canadian Tire.

Meanwhile, the city’s Winter Quality Maintenance Standards—which sets out the city’s priorities for such details as snow removal, salting and connectivity—hasn’t been updated since 2003, back when no one even thought of pedestrians, and thus doesn’t necessarily reflect residents’ current preferences. It’s going to be updated in 2023, I’m told, so maybe by this time next year we’ll get to visit parts of the city we’ve never seen in winter before. And perhaps bring along a tourist or two.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/deachman-is-it-time-to-unchain-our-stairs

J.OT13
Nov 18, 2022, 6:18 PM
It's 100% liability. Strange how if someone slips and falls down the stairs, they sue the City or NCC, or whoever, but if they're driving and hit black ice, no litigation.

On the other hand, we have the PoW bridge, fenced off with signs posted all over, yet people still trespass, jump off and die, and then their families sue the City because someone previously cut through the fence.

SL123
Nov 18, 2022, 8:08 PM
It's 100% liability. Strange how if someone slips and falls down the stairs, they sue the City or NCC, or whoever, but if they're driving and hit black ice, no litigation.

On the other hand, we have the PoW bridge, fenced off with signs posted all over, yet people still trespass, jump off and die, and then their families sue the City because someone previously cut through the fence.

Exactly! If only people could take responsibilities for their own actions. Signs are never big enough, fences never high enough!

kwoldtimer
Nov 18, 2022, 10:19 PM

Liability and cost of maintenance. I've never looked at Ottawa steps the same way since, many winters ago now, I saw an older gentleman (recovering from recent open heart surgery, according to his wife!) do a header down the big stairwell beside what is now the Senate building.

Tesladom
Nov 21, 2022, 2:28 PM
Can we bring God to court for sending us freezing rain, snow, sleet and falling trees? I heard he has a pretty big bank account $$?!

OTSkyline
Nov 22, 2022, 1:14 PM
Seems like every other Canadian City has these large Ubran Loblaw's CityMarket grocery stores in their city centers. Now one in Edmonton. Why can't Ottawa?

https://retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2022/11/loblaw-opens-much-needed-grocery-store-in-downtown-edmonton-interview-photos/

OTownandDown
Nov 22, 2022, 2:16 PM
lol, say a prayer for those dog owners trying to access the Byron Linear Park.

Anyone else high-kick over the chain, then gingerly lower themselves down the ice-ramp of the unmaintained stairs? Regardless of signage? Everyone?

[B]Is it time to unchain our stairs?
It's strange that in a city where it can — and does — snow anytime between October and April, officials seem unable or unwilling to keep public paths and stairs open year-round.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/deachman-is-it-time-to-unchain-our-stairs

J.OT13
Nov 22, 2022, 4:19 PM
Seems like every other Canadian City has these large Ubran Loblaw's CityMarket grocery stores in their city centers. Now one in Edmonton. Why can't Ottawa?

https://retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2022/11/loblaw-opens-much-needed-grocery-store-in-downtown-edmonton-interview-photos/

Would be a great fit for Moon and/or LeBreton.

J.OT13
Nov 22, 2022, 4:54 PM
Cross-post from Gatineau thread:

3Yv7zNRNg84

https://www.novatioimmobilier.com/?fbclid=IwAR1gRtBBjQgWdeL5dMs19ahYL5EBu0TgSu3NhZ4iVFMLMRrgDMLuhVjpRIw

Coin sud-est de Ch. Aylmer et Vanier:

https://goo.gl/maps/Z6c9rU2uQEhCHdz18

Cela ressemble beaucoup au projet Agora sur le Plateau.

acottawa
Nov 22, 2022, 9:06 PM

I am trying to think where they could put one that wouldn't eat into the catchment area of an existing Loblaws or Loblaws affiliate.

Maybe Little Italy?

acottawa
Nov 22, 2022, 9:07 PM
They have gotten much more aggressive with the chains. They used to be pretty loose and you could reasonably walk over them. Now they are set up to cause serious injury.

Uhuniau
Nov 23, 2022, 4:09 PM
The report's section on improving communication and planning focused on a need to prepare for larger and longer-lasting service disruptions

I mean... Hydro was brutally honest in the opening hours of the derecho aftermath, saying that this was going to take many days to restore, and people yelled at them for telling the truth.

You can't win.

Uhuniau
Nov 23, 2022, 4:11 PM
Liability and cost of maintenance. I've never looked at Ottawa steps the same way since, many winters ago now, I saw an older gentleman (recovering from recent open heart surgery, according to his wife!) do a header down the big stairwell beside what is now the Senate building.

I have never looked at Ottawa steps the same way after seeing people slip and fall because the perfectly dry walking surface was completely covered with thousands of little rolling pebbles of undissolved road salt.

We are terrible at being a winter city.

rocketphish
Nov 29, 2022, 5:55 PM
Amazon’s Alexa Smart Properties System debuts at Ottawa’s Bruyère Village

Rob Thomas, OBJ
November 28, 2022, 1:44 PM ET

“Alexa, call my grandkids.”

That’s one verbal command the residents of Bruyère Village in Orléans will now be able to make from the comfort of their room thanks to a partnership between Ottawa non-profit Connected Canadians and Amazon Canada. 

The Alexa Smart Properties system will have its Canadian debut at Bruyère as a six-month pilot program, with 50 Alexa-enabled Echo 8 devices being deployed to residents.

“We would also be providing support to the seniors, in case they need help in trying to understand or feel comfortable with the device,” said Emily Jones Joanisse, Connected Canadians co-founder and CEO. “That’s basically our non-profit core.”

Joanisse said the device’s “drop-in” feature — which allows staff to connect with residents via voice and video — was one thing that motivated Bruyère to try the pilot. 

“It can be incredibly helpful … because it means that folks can drop in to the rooms, check that folks are okay and they don’t need to put on a whole hazmat suit,” she said, referring to COVID precautions. 

The system allows property owners like Bruyère to customize and coordinate Alexa-enabled devices at scale. Providing meal menus, activity schedules, announcements or receiving service requests are a few of the ways the devices can be configured to serve residents’ needs. Customizing the system to Bruyère’s needs is the focus of the pilot. 

“We believe the intuitive and accessible nature of voice and Alexa has the potential to help and delight customers in many scenarios, in and outside of the home,” said Celine Lee, Alexa Canada country manager. “We’re excited to extend the Alexa experiences customers already love to senior living communities and give providers new ways to save time and personalize care for their residents.”

Connected Canadians has an existing relationship with Bruyère and partnered with Amazon in 2021 to train and support individual seniors to use 500 donated Echo devices. 

“So we were kind of a very good fit when (Amazon) was looking to launch it in this space, to try to find a partner that has both the knowledge base of senior use cases and have connections with senior communities as well,” says Tas Damen, co-founder and chief information officer with Connected Canadians. 

Damen says that the 2021 pilot showed seniors were most comfortable interacting with simple voice-activated devices that had more of a “companion feel” than a keyboard, mouse or touchscreen. 

She notes that Alexa Smart Properties will give administrators the ability to make the devices even more user-friendly through customized features like trusted contact lists, community-specific reminders, or even direct calls to Connected Canadians when seniors need help with the devices or any other technology. 

Connected Canadians is a national non-profit that supports and trains Canadian seniors in the use of technology. Many of its volunteers are new immigrants with technology skills who benefit from applying their skills in a Canadian context. Connected Canadians received a Bootstrap Award for Community impact in June of 2022. It was founded in Ottawa and aims to provide free training and support to all Canadian seniors by 2030.

https://obj.ca/amazons-alexa-smart-properties-system-debuts-at-ottawas-bruyere-village/

Ottawacurious
Nov 30, 2022, 6:40 PM
Probably shouldn't be asking here, but, can't find the listing for 424 Churchill on this forum. 8 storey building where the current Laundry Land is located. Corner of Byron and Churchill.

Does it exist? https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applications/D07-12-22-0152/details

LRTeverywhere
Nov 30, 2022, 7:16 PM
Probably shouldn't be asking here, but, can't find the listing for 424 Churchill on this forum. 8 storey building where the current Laundry Land is located. Corner of Byron and Churchill.

Does it exist? https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applications/D07-12-22-0152/details

Application was just posted on dev apps today, its likely a thread will be created on here after the documents become avaliable in a day or two.

SL123
Dec 4, 2022, 11:31 PM
I took this picture last night! Dont know if this is news but it is news to me but it looks like Patagonia is about to open a store in the Market at 119 York Street
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52543275844_e9d20a7238_b.jpg

Harley613
Dec 5, 2022, 12:52 AM
Really bizarre location. I could see Rideau Centre, or Sussex, but a high end sport clothing store on York, East of Dalhousie, in 2022??!?

SL123
Dec 5, 2022, 1:01 AM
Really bizarre location. I could see Rideau Centre, or Sussex, but a high end sport clothing store on York, East of Dalhousie, in 2022??!?

Yeah I thought the location was weird. They would fit better in Westboro

OTSkyline
Dec 5, 2022, 2:57 PM
Maybe this is the start of Ottawa finally getting some standalone stores, the Byward Market would be a natural fit (and would help balance the mix for people who complain it's only bars there currently).

Most cities have malls and standalone stores on a main street or shopping district, always found it weird Ottawa didn't (outside of maybe Lulu Lemon Westboro).

J.OT13
Dec 5, 2022, 3:08 PM
Maybe this is the start of Ottawa finally getting some standalone stores, the Byward Market would be a natural fit (and would help balance the mix for people who complain it's only bars there currently).

Most cities have malls and standalone stores on a main street or shopping district, always found it weird Ottawa didn't (outside of maybe Lulu Lemon Westboro).

Westboro has quite a few actually. MEC, Fjällräven and many more.

As for the location in the market, either they made a poor market research or they know something we don't.

With the Marriott Moxy going up on that side of Dalhousie, maybe we'll see a bit of an expansion of the traditional ByWard Market tourist area.

postingaboutottawa
Dec 5, 2022, 4:19 PM
That block of york has been park of the market for years now not sure where people are coming from on this one. Dalhousie isn't some prohibitive barrier, and the block certainly doesn't need a hotel across the street for foot traffic

harls
Dec 11, 2022, 10:36 PM
I took my kid on a tour of construction sites yesterday (dad is so proud, *sniff*). That crane at Maisonneuve and Laurier is huge.

He was really impressed by the huge hole at Wellington/Eddy. Me too.

SL123
Dec 11, 2022, 10:38 PM
I took this picture last night! Dont know if this is news but it is news to me but it looks like Patagonia is about to open a store in the Market at 119 York Street
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52543275844_e9d20a7238_b.jpg

The grand opening was Saturday! They did an excellent job with the inside of this heritage house! Amazing boutique.

harls
Dec 11, 2022, 11:10 PM
The grand opening was Saturday! The did an excellent job with the inside of this heritage house! Amazing boutique.

I'm going to fire this out there - are you the owner of the Patagonia and are you looking for SSP people to meet there? :D

SL123
Dec 11, 2022, 11:29 PM
I'm going to fire this out there - are you the owner of the Patagonia and are you looking for SSP people to meet there? :D

I dont have enough money to own anything in Ottawa!

acottawa
Dec 11, 2022, 11:53 PM
Seems like an odd choice for a location. I wonder if they are prohibited from other locations because of existing authorized dealers.

7empest
Dec 12, 2022, 12:19 PM
I don't understand why people would hate on this. As someone who frequents the Market is this not the type of smart development we want? People would prefer this in a mall?

I think it looks great and am hoping for more of this type of development.

*long time lurker, first time poster.

Harley613
Dec 12, 2022, 1:23 PM
I don't understand why people would hate on this. As someone who frequents the Market is this not the type of smart development we want? People would prefer this in a mall?

Is anyone hating on it? I think it's fantastic, I'm just surprised.

J.OT13
Dec 12, 2022, 2:40 PM

To reiterate what others have said, it's a surprising location, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Anything that helps expand (and diversify) the Market beyond the traditional bar district. The evolution of Nicholas Street with the Rideau Centre expansion, OAG and now the new residential tower is another example. (Or the new developments west of Lyon with residential and retail, expanding the CBD into a more mixed-use area. LeBreton, Zibi adding missing links).

That said, welcome to the forum!! :grouphug:

acottawa
Dec 12, 2022, 2:41 PM

Welcome

I think people are just observing it is an unusual location to put a chain clothing store. There is no retail nearby and certainly not any other chain clothing stores. And it isn't like there are a shortage of vacant storefronts in more obvious locations.

J.OT13
Dec 21, 2022, 4:16 PM
Kitchissippi development tracker.

https://kitchissippiward.ca/content/kitchissippi-development-overview

Mille Sabords
Dec 25, 2022, 3:09 AM

What a strange comment.... that brand name has enough pull to make the street a destination unto its own. How's that possibly not a good thing?

SidetrackedSue
Dec 26, 2022, 1:49 PM
Look up the Patagonia store in Halifax. It is a good hike away from the ferry landing and the centre of the waterfront shops.

It is a pretty similar location with regards to surrounding stuff.

LeadingEdgeBoomer
Dec 26, 2022, 3:50 PM
Welcome

I think people are just observing it is an unusual location to put a chain clothing store. There is no retail nearby and certainly not any other chain clothing stores. And it isn't like there are a shortage of vacant storefronts in more obvious locations.

Unusual describes Patagonia. Its founder, Yvon Chouinard, is known for living a frugal and unusual lifestyle all his life. He was a surfer living on a Mexican beach and retreiving pop bottles from trash cans in the 1950's. He got his start in business by selling outdoorsy stuff from the back of a car.
The company is said to be worth $3 billion. In September Mr. Chouinard said he is giving away the company to a trust and non-profit.

J.OT13
Jan 3, 2023, 2:54 PM
Any ideas?

https://i.postimg.cc/440ppYN3/linebox.png

mykl
Jan 5, 2023, 2:27 AM
Any ideas?

The neighbouring building doesn't support my theory, but the windows make me feel like its the empty lot on Bank St near Laurier, based on the window frames of the previous building.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bank+St+%26+Laurier+Ave+W,+Ottawa,+ON+K1P+5N7/@45.4190398,-75.6995141,3a,75y,266.54h,97.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suqQ4mA7wZKQi-GkHhs42qg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce0454a4ab7d6f:0xa87baeab00f9d601!8m2!3d45.4185489!4d-75.6990604

SL123
Jan 5, 2023, 3:09 AM
Any ideas?

Linebox works in Montreal and Toronto too! Could very well not be in Ottawa no?