PDA

View Full Version : General Update/Rumour thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

passwordisnt123
Jun 11, 2020, 1:57 AM
Perhaps somewhat off topic, but I just stumbled across this on the Toronto subreddit and Ottawa desperately needs something like this given our penchant for plaque and monument proliferation.

https://i.imgur.com/FWsb1sG.jpg

J.OT13
Jun 11, 2020, 3:03 PM
Mathieu Fleury
@MathieuFleury

@ottawacity is proposing closure of York, William, ByWard and Clarence streets for this period.

https://twitter.com/MathieuFleury/status/1271048457940357121

kwoldtimer
Jun 11, 2020, 3:40 PM

Access to the parking garages to be maintained, I assume?

RogueNacho
Jun 11, 2020, 5:44 PM

Yesssss!! It's like dipping a pinky toe into my ultimate dream of permanently closing these streets, plus George Street, and converting all of them into full pedestrian areas with all kinds of trees, planters, furniture, and lighting (with access for night time deliveries only). Following this, I'd rip down the parking garage at Clarence & William and convert it into a massive open plaza (maybe with a nice fountain?) to be used for hosting all sorts of public events (markets, buskers, skating rink, "movies in the square", music, etc.). Look at what Kingston did to its market square to get an idea!

It infuriates me that the City allows so much car traffic though what is essentially the number one tourist/pedestrian destination in town, especially with a mass transit line right underneath it!

Hopefully this temporary closure of roads warms people up to the idea of fully pedestrianizing the Market for good! :cheers:

phil235
Jun 11, 2020, 6:46 PM
Yesssss!! It's like dipping a pinky toe into my ultimate dream of permanently closing these streets, plus George Street, and converting all of them into full pedestrian areas with all kinds of trees, planters, furniture, and lighting (with access for night time deliveries only). Following this, I'd rip down the parking garage at Clarence & William and convert it into a massive open plaza (maybe with a nice fountain?) to be used for hosting all sorts of public events (markets, buskers, skating rink, "movies in the square", music, etc.). Look at what Kingston did to its market square to get an idea!

It infuriates me that the City allows so much car traffic though what is essentially the number one tourist/pedestrian destination in town, especially with a mass transit line right underneath it!

Hopefully this temporary closure of roads warms people up to the idea of fully pedestrianizing the Market for good! :cheers:

Unfortunately they're doing this at a time when pedestrian counts are at an all time low, so it won't be very good for assessing the impact on businesses. I assume the primary goal is to allow restaurants to have big patios on the street, which is a good goal.

FutureWickedCity
Jun 16, 2020, 1:42 PM
On Radio-Canada this morning they were discussing an application to demolish a heritage building on the corner of Eddy and Wright in Old Hull, in order to construct a 12-storey building.

J.OT13
Jun 16, 2020, 1:47 PM
On Radio-Canada this morning they were discussing an application to demolish a heritage building on the corner of Eddy and Wright in Old Hull, in order to construct a 12-storey building.

This one?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rue+Eddy+%26+Rue+Wright,+Gatineau,+QC+J8X+2W2/@45.426714,-75.7199321,3a,75y,69.12h,102.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so-UToUl6UC-QEOGeIf8POQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce048acf3a5a3d:0xa57cac7d0f4d6014!8m2!3d45.42696!4d-75.719951

or this one?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rue+Eddy+%26+Rue+Wright,+Gatineau,+QC+J8X+2W2/@45.4268949,-75.7199371,3a,75y,246.46h,99.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWLQmfYPykW06cMgSEmHgXw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce048acf3a5a3d:0xa57cac7d0f4d6014!8m2!3d45.42696!4d-75.719951

You want to demolish something, demolish one of these two:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rue+Eddy+%26+Rue+Wright,+Gatineau,+QC+J8X+2W2/@45.4268949,-75.7199371,3a,75y,351.78h,96.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWLQmfYPykW06cMgSEmHgXw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce048acf3a5a3d:0xa57cac7d0f4d6014!8m2!3d45.42696!4d-75.719951

Acajack
Jun 16, 2020, 2:17 PM
This one?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rue+Eddy+%26+Rue+Wright,+Gatineau,+QC+J8X+2W2/@45.426714,-75.7199321,3a,75y,69.12h,102.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so-UToUl6UC-QEOGeIf8POQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce048acf3a5a3d:0xa57cac7d0f4d6014!8m2!3d45.42696!4d-75.719951

or this one?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rue+Eddy+%26+Rue+Wright,+Gatineau,+QC+J8X+2W2/@45.4268949,-75.7199371,3a,75y,246.46h,99.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWLQmfYPykW06cMgSEmHgXw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce048acf3a5a3d:0xa57cac7d0f4d6014!8m2!3d45.42696!4d-75.719951

You want to demolish something, demolish one of these two:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rue+Eddy+%26+Rue+Wright,+Gatineau,+QC+J8X+2W2/@45.4268949,-75.7199371,3a,75y,351.78h,96.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWLQmfYPykW06cMgSEmHgXw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce048acf3a5a3d:0xa57cac7d0f4d6014!8m2!3d45.42696!4d-75.719951

The second one, with the iron balcony railing.

harls
Jun 17, 2020, 4:22 AM
THIS needs to go.

https://goo.gl/maps/X2TovX6U545QMNWi8

Looks like something that would fit in Shawville (no offense to any Shawvillians.)

kwoldtimer
Jun 17, 2020, 12:29 PM
THIS needs to go.

https://goo.gl/maps/X2TovX6U545QMNWi8

Looks like something that would fit in Shawville (no offense to any Shawvillians.)

What is it? :shrug:

J.OT13
Jun 17, 2020, 12:38 PM
The second one, with the iron balcony railing.

So many parking lots and crappy buildings but they have to demolish heritage brick buildings.

At this point, it's the only heritage building left on that lot, and it would be difficult to retain it in a respectful way I guess.

What is it? :shrug:

Ironically, Canadian Heritage. See sign on the Wellington façade.

Acajack
Jun 17, 2020, 3:07 PM
So many parking lots and crappy buildings but they have to demolish heritage brick buildings.

At this point, it's the only heritage building left on that lot, and it would be difficult to retain it in a respectful way I guess.

It's in the way of Groupe Heafey (I think it's them)'s land assembly for another phase of the W/E development push.

The W/E 2 will be built on that block I think.

Acajack
Jun 17, 2020, 3:10 PM
Ironically, Canadian Heritage. See sign on the Wellington façade.

I guess it is overflow space for Canadian Heritage who are based across the street at Terrasses de la Chaudière.

Originally that building was the Gatineau campus of the Université du Québec's ENAP (École nationale de la fonction publique). Lots of federal public servants did their master's degrees there. I know quite a few. A ton in fact.

This building also seems to be in the way of Heafey's land assembly push. But I have not heard of requests to demolish it, nor do I even know if Heafey owns the land.

It's reasonably new as a structure.

Marcus CLS
Jun 22, 2020, 11:05 PM
Juteau Johnson Comba Inc. Recently added 8 monthly newsletters to their website. Oct2019 to May2020. Notable Transactions Minto purchased vacant parcels on Isabella Street East of Bank St. where signage shows a proposed office building for lease. Possible change to Residential?

Claridge Homes purchased 901 Carling Ave., close to and west of Carling Station. Mastercraft Starwood purchased Tubman Funeral home in Westboro Village.

J.OT13
Jun 22, 2020, 11:23 PM
Juteau Johnson Comba Inc. Recently added 8 monthly newsletters to their website. Oct2019 to May2020. Notable Transactions Minto purchased vacant parcels on Isabella Street East of Bank St. where signage shows a proposed office building for lease. Possible change to Residential?

Claridge Homes purchased 901 Carling Ave., close to and west of Carling Station. Mastercraft Starwood purchased Tubman Funeral home in Westboro Village.

All good news I'd say. The Isabella site could be a good spot for a cheaper rental building, considering it's along a heavy traffic area.

901 Carling is a good site for redevelopment. Off the beaten path just enough that a bait-and-switch Claridge designed building won't be to impactful.

I've been hoping to see Tubman redeveloped for a while. It's plain design and the depressing nature of the business adds nothing to street, not to mention that parking lot. Mastercraft Starwood builds simple, but quality buildings, so it could be a good fit. Height is a concern; on the one hand, we have Westboro Station (the condo, not the station) diagonally across, on the other we have shorter traditional mains street building on the north side.

J.OT13
Jun 25, 2020, 12:46 PM
From Jon Willing:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a BIA doing this, but it appears the Glebe BIA is removing Coun. Menard, the local councillor appointed to the board by council, from the board and asking for new city representation on the BIA. #ottpoli
https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/status/1275974594143322113

phil235
Jun 25, 2020, 2:56 PM
From Jon Willing:

https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/status/1275974594143322113

This doesn't surprise me, as neither party has proven themselves particularly reasonable. The BIA has consistently ignored the wishes of the local community that is vital to their survival. I believe without exception, the BIA has opposed any proposal that has any impact on parking, however slight. Their latest move was the incredibly short-sighted opposition to the closure of the curb lanes of Bank St. to expand the sidewalks. They did this at a time when traffic was negligible, and essentially all of their business was coming from within the community.

On the other hand, Menard has approached his term as an activist, rather than a representative who needs to compromise to get things done. His constant attacks on the Mayor, though warranted in many cases, have resulted in him being sidelined from any influential role in municipal government.

I don't know who's to blame here, but the fact that they are at odds and opting for the nuclear option is sadly unsurprising.

kwoldtimer
Jun 25, 2020, 3:01 PM
This doesn't surprise me, as neither party has proven themselves particularly reasonable. The BIA has consistently ignored the wishes of the local community that is vital to their survival. I believe without exception, the BIA has opposed any proposal that has any impact on parking, however slight. Their latest move was the incredibly short-sighted opposition to the closure of the curb lanes of Bank St. to expand the sidewalks. They did this at a time when traffic was negligible, and essentially all of their business was coming from within the community.

On the other hand, Menard has approached his term as an activist, rather than a representative who needs to compromise to get things done. His constant attacks on the Mayor, though warranted in many cases, have resulted in him being sidelined from any influential role in municipal government.

I don't know who's to blame here, but the fact that they are at odds and opting for the nuclear option is sadly unsurprising.

Re my bold, how so?
Meanwhile, the Glebe commercial strip continues its decline (imo).

J.OT13
Jun 25, 2020, 3:09 PM

I can't speak to the BIA, but I agree on your points regarding Menard. Again, I'd like to present Leiper as the anti-Menard, who disagrees with the Mayor as well, but brings a more diplomatic approach... not that it helps him unfortunately... Leiper is also better at working with developers to improve projects instead of opposing for the sake of opposing and he's seems very attentive to his constituents needs and concerns.

phil235
Jun 25, 2020, 3:28 PM
I can't speak to the BIA, but I agree on your points regarding Menard. Again, I'd like to present Leiper as the anti-Menard, who disagrees with the Mayor as well, but brings a more diplomatic approach... not that it helps him unfortunately... Leiper is also better at working with developers to improve projects instead of opposing for the sake of opposing and he's seems very attentive to his constituents needs and concerns.

Agreed. I'd like to see him run for mayor, the sooner the better. We need people in office who are well-versed in the issues, have a vision for the future, but can work with the people they need to work with. Leiper checks all of those boxes.

People who are too married to an ideology rarely get as much accomplished.

phil235
Jun 25, 2020, 3:38 PM
Re my bold, how so?
Meanwhile, the Glebe commercial strip continues its decline (imo).

It's primarily on parking issues, where they have consistently opposed any proposals that will affect parking even in the slightest ways. Projects like the parking space parkettes were allowed to expire, even though they made a big difference in the urban environment. They have been completely disinterested in transit and cycling proposals, but spent tonnes of effort trying to get 2-hour parking on side streets (not necessarily bad, but much less impactful). Their statements constantly refer to the need to provide more parking to attract suburban shoppers, even though local shoppers (particularly those on foot, bikes and transit) are their key demographic.

I don't actually agree that the strip has been in decline. It's managed to keep all of the essentials right on the main street (grocery, pharmacy, hardware, banks, cafes, LCBO, beer store, bikes, sports, bagels, even a video store). The toy store was a big loss, and there is a shift to restaurants, but places like Banditos are a massive improvement over what was there. It remains to be seen how it will weather the pandemic, but it is still the most complete small neighbourhood that I have ever lived in.

Multi-modal
Jun 25, 2020, 3:49 PM

Leiper would be my dream mayoral candidate :worship: However, I'm not sure if he would do it... not getting the sense that he wants to run for that position.

Menard seems like he wants to run, but is not a good fit IMO.

caveat.doctor
Jun 25, 2020, 4:11 PM
It's primarily on parking issues, where they have consistently opposed any proposals that will affect parking even in the slightest ways. Projects like the parking space parkettes were allowed to expire, even though they made a big difference in the urban environment. They have been completely disinterested in transit and cycling proposals, but spent tonnes of effort trying to get 2-hour parking on side streets (not necessarily bad, but much less impactful). Their statements constantly refer to the need to provide more parking to attract suburban shoppers, even though local shoppers (particularly those on foot, bikes and transit) are their key demographic.

Not disagreeing with you, but I suspect that's exactly the calculus: the local shoppers are captive. Whereas the suburban shoppers have other options, so they're especially wary of anything that might cause inconvenience to that market.

-

Speaking of parking, Edmonton council voted yesterday to eliminate parking minimums city wide. Not as directive as imposing parking maximums, but could lead to more rational choices if the value (opportunity cost) of parking as compared to other uses becomes a decision point. Might be a good direction for us here as well.

Edmonton city council votes to remove minimum parking requirements

With the change, Edmonton becomes first major city in Canada to drop parking minimums
CBC News · Posted: Jun 23, 2020 8:27 PM MT | Last Updated: June 23
(Scott Neufeld/CBC)

Parking minimums for new developments will soon be a thing of the past in Edmonton.

City council voted unanimously Tuesday to support the change to the city's zoning bylaws. With the change, Edmonton becomes the first major city in Canada to drop minimum parking requirements.

The new rules come into effect July 2 and will affect the development and redevelopment of homes and businesses.

Previously, the city required businesses and developers to provide a specific number of spaces depending on the size and nature of the building, but now it will be up to the developer or business to decide how much on-site parking to have on their properties.

"Parking is a powerful, but often hidden force that shapes how our communities are designed and influences every aspect of how people live, work and move around," Kim Petrin, development services branch manager for the City of Edmonton, said in a news release.

Edmonton set to revamp parking rules that date back to the 1970s
Parking rules needlessly limiting infill in neighbourhoods, council says
Removing the requirements will help Edmonton become a more walkable, active city, Petrin said.

Ashley Salvador, an urban planner who spoke in favour of ending parking requirements, said lifting the parking minimums will let business owners and developers decide how much — or how little — parking they need.

City data shows that parking minimums have created an oversupply of parking in Edmonton, with usage rates sitting at around 50 per cent during peak hours, Salvador said.

"What this change does is a market-based approach, where we're removing government regulation and we're giving market the ability to sort out this oversupply and to reach a more efficient, optimal usage rate," she told CBC's Edmonton AM on Wednesday.

In its news release, the city said on-site parking can cost anywhere from $7,000 to $60,000 per stall and that Edmonton has an oversupply of on-site parking city-wide.

Maximum parking requirements will remain in effect downtown and are being expanded in transit-oriented developments and main street areas.

The new rules also allow for businesses and homeowners to share parking, or lease out parking spaces to other properties, which the city says could help with on-street parking in redeveloped areas.

City staff will monitor the effect of shared parking and report back to council next year.

Leiper would be my dream mayoral candidate :worship: However, I'm not sure if he would do it... not getting the sense that he wants to run for that position.

Agree, have been happy with him as my councillor - even when I (rarely) disagree with his positions he's clear and upfront with his rationale and open for discussion. Would love to have him take the lead.

phil235
Jun 25, 2020, 5:31 PM
Not disagreeing with you, but I suspect that's exactly the calculus: the local shoppers are captive. Whereas the suburban shoppers have other options, so they're especially wary of anything that might cause inconvenience to that market.

No doubt you are correct. I think they should be more conscious of the risk of taking their key market for granted. If nothing else, this crisis has provided a huge opportunity to retrench the benefits of thinking and shopping locally. They really should be walking the talk.

rocketphish
Jun 25, 2020, 9:55 PM
Glebe business association turfs Coun. Menard from the board

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jun 25, 2020 • Last Updated 5 hours ago • 3 minute read

The association representing businesses in the Glebe has made the extraordinary decision to turf its local councillor from the board and ask city council for a replacement representative.

The Glebe BIA’s decision Wednesday night came after Capital Coun. Shawn Menard throughout the spring strongly advocated for the removal of some street parking on Bank Street in favour of more space for pedestrians and cyclists during the COVID-19 pandemic.

In fact, earlier Wednesday Menard put colleagues on notice that he’ll ask council on July 15 to vote on a proposal directing staff to explore using more road space for non-car transportation.

“This decision by the BIA came as a surprise to me,” Menard said in an emailed statement Thursday.

“Since entering office 19 months ago we have been promoting small local businesses in our newsletters, posting resources for businesses on our website, helping to secure a gateway sign to this area, adding more bike racks on Bank Street, helping to get planters fixed, adding public bathrooms, providing assistance to those who are house-less in this area, and by attempting to implement pedestrian and bicyclist friendly policies that have been shown to not only benefit residents, but also bolster businesses’ bottom lines.”

The BIA’s decision to boot Menard from the board is highly unusual, considering the local councillor has the most knowledge of the community and provides an important connection to council and the city bureaucracy.

As for the reasons why the BIA wants to cut governance ties with Menard, the organization declined comment beyond the rationale provided in a bulletin sent to businesses.

“There was agreement amongst the board that we need more consistent reporting from the city and a more fulsome commitment to our organization,” the BIA said in the bulletin. “The current arrangement was not working in the best interests of our members. It was therefore decided that we would proceed with a request to City Council for a new delegate to act as a liaison between us and the municipality.”

The BIA goes on to say, “we intend to work collaboratively with the Capital Ward Councillor and his office to support the area’s economic well-being and serve the needs of the community” as the organization helps with the economic recovery phase of the pandemic.

“Having a dedicated and available appointee from the municipality will better facilitate this period of transition. We will continue to work with all key stakeholders and our elected officials for their input as it relates to the neighbourhood and the businesses we represent,” the BIA said.

Menard said he also hasn’t heard the BIA’s rationale for removing him from the board, but he suspects “it’s because they disagreed with my response to hundreds of residents who asked for space for physical distancing during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

The councillor has rankled some businesses on Bank Street in his ward because he has been trying to convince the city to use some road space for active transportation.

In April, Glebe BIA executive director Andrew Peck wrote to Menard warning the councillor that removing traffic on a curb lane could hurt financially ravaged businesses that, at the time, were counting on curbside delivery and pickups to make money during mandatory pandemic-related closures.

Menard almost made a partial road closure happen, too, after following a process and receiving the OK from city staff to close one curb lane over three blocks in the Glebe, impacting 19 of 320 on-street parking spaces.

However, Mayor Jim Watson in May successfully led an effort on council to raise the bar for a road closure, requiring two-thirds of businesses to agree to a lane closure in front of their addresses, effectively crushing Menard’s intentions.

Council could be in the strange position of appointing another councillor to the Glebe BIA board who doesn’t represent the area at city hall.

At least one director of a BIA board must be appointed by the municipality, according to provincial law.

In Ottawa, the normal course of governance has had council appointing the councillors to the BIA boards in their wards. At the beginning of the term in December 2018, council naturally assigned Menard to the Glebe BIA board, which subsequently in January 2019 approved all members for its 2019-2022 term.

Despite being bounced from the BIA board, Menard said he’ll still support the businesses in the Glebe.

“I want to make it clear to residents in my ward that I will continue to support their interests and we should not judge the small businesses here by the actions of the seven board members of the BIA,” Menard said. “I will continue to support these small businesses, and I’m asking you to do so as well.”

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/retail-politics-glebe-business-association-turfs-coun-menard-from-the-board/wcm/e7f92bb7-46cd-4180-9f51-a1e397f42a13/

Lightspotting
Jun 25, 2020, 11:30 PM
While initially denying it, it becomes extremely clear from this interview with the BIA's executive that this is retaliation for Shawn Menard's push for more space to respect physical distancing at the cost of 19 parking spots.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-92-all-in-a-day/clip/15784273-the-glebe-bia-is-asking-city-council-to-oust-the-local-councillor-for-its-board-of-directors

Last year a similar situation happened with the Preston Street BIA and a bike lane detour but did not escalate further
https://twitter.com/JLeiper/status/1133149048947576832?s=19

YOWetal
Jun 26, 2020, 6:27 AM
While initially denying it, it becomes extremely clear from this interview with the BIA's executive that this is retaliation for Shawn Menard's push for more space to respect physical distancing at the cost of 19 parking spots.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-92-all-in-a-day/clip/15784273-the-glebe-bia-is-asking-city-council-to-oust-the-local-councillor-for-its-board-of-directors

Last year a similar situation happened with the Preston Street BIA and a bike lane detour but did not escalate further

Doesn't it also allow for more patios or is it just to widen the sidewalk? IF just to widen sidewalk I agree it's a bit silly and those spots are needed in current environment. Regardless it would still increase my support for Menard as he should work for his voters not BIAs.

TransitZilla
Jun 26, 2020, 1:12 PM

Quite a preposterous interview... despite being pressed for examples of their issues besides the parking spot issue, Mr. Peck seemed unable to name one.

The BIA board seems to fundamentally misunderstand the role of the local councillor on the BIA board. It is not simply to be a cheerleader for the BIA, it is to represent the interests of the residents in the local community, i.e. the businesses' neighbours.

Isn't Councillor Chiarelli still a member of the Bells Corners BIA board? If council has not removed him, how could it possibly justify removing Menard over a simple disagreement?

J.OT13
Jun 26, 2020, 1:22 PM
The whole conspiracy that the Mayor was somehow involved isn't that far-fetched. Mid-way through Menard's work to close down part of the parking to allow more social distancing, the Mayor presented a motion that killed the initiative, requiring 2/3 (then changed to 1/2) support from local businesses.

J.OT13
Jun 26, 2020, 1:27 PM
From Kate Porter:

Who is the Glebe BIA board? Its website lists:

Eli Saikaley, Silver Scissors
Eric Kunstadt, Kunstadt Sports
Judy Richards, Davidson's Jewellers
Stephanie Spruston, OSEG
Ronaldo Sayah, real estate
Joshua Thatcher, Whole Foods
Stephane Sauve, Glebe Meat Market
Allan Bateman
https://twitter.com/KatePorterCBC/status/1276270168939905030

phil235
Jun 26, 2020, 1:36 PM
Doesn't it also allow for more patios or is it just to widen the sidewalk? IF just to widen sidewalk I agree it's a bit silly and those spots are needed in current environment. Regardless it would still increase my support for Menard as he should work for his voters not BIAs.

Disagree on the spots being needed. The ones that Menard wanted to close were a tiny fraction of the available spots. Parking has been a non-issue in the Glebe for months. On the other hand, the narrow sidewalks are a big issue, particularly since the pandemic started.

The sad part is that the restaurants in that stretch do not have patios. Wider sidewalks would have allowed them to put some tables out and bring in some revenue. That would have been far more valuable than a few parking spots.
Now they are suffering due to a decision by their own BIA.

TransitZilla
Jun 26, 2020, 1:42 PM
The whole conspiracy that the Mayor was somehow involved isn't that far-fetched. Mid-way through Menard's work to close down part of the parking to allow more social distancing, the Mayor presented a motion that killed the initiative, requiring 2/3 (then changed to 1/2) support from local businesses.

Jim himself tweeted a photo of his first patio lunch of the season with members of the BIA executive, so frankly it would be more shocking if he didn't know about this.

Will Jim appoint himself as council liaison to the BIA?

J.OT13
Jun 26, 2020, 1:51 PM
Jim himself tweeted a photo of his first patio lunch of the season with members of the BIA executive, so frankly it would be more shocking if he didn't know about this.

Will Jim appoint himself as council liaison to the BIA?

Himself or one of his buddies, you know, to make it a little less obvious. I'm sure Darouze is due for another promotion. He's done some fantastic work :uhh:

Lightspotting
Jun 26, 2020, 3:10 PM
Ecology ottawa is ending their relationship with the glebe bia
https://twitter.com/EcologyOttawa/status/1276508201660354561?s=09

J.OT13
Jun 26, 2020, 3:22 PM
Ecology ottawa is ending their relationship with the glebe bia
https://twitter.com/EcologyOttawa/status/1276508201660354561?s=09

Interesting development...

J.OT13
Jun 26, 2020, 6:13 PM

I listened to the CBC interview. Pretty funny stuff. And not ha ha funny.

J.OT13
Jun 26, 2020, 6:28 PM

Menard seems like he wants to run, but is not a good fit IMO.

Tweet regarding the Ward boundary review and Leiper's response:

Michael Powell
@mbpowell

Fun fact: McKenney and Jeff live in the same ward in all 5 options.

9:52 AM · Jun 26, 2020 from Ottawa, Ontario·Twitter for iPhone

Jeff Leiper
@JLeiper

One of us will have to run for Mayor ;)

:fingerscrossed:

J.OT13
Jul 15, 2020, 10:11 PM
Jeff Leiper provided a list of proposed developments in Kitchissippi Ward, including a few upcoming proposals:

http://kitchissippiward.ca/content/kitchissippi-development-overview

FutureWickedCity
Jul 16, 2020, 1:36 PM
I'm excited about the massing on Carling near Churchill. I wonder what will happen to the Canadian Tire when they move to Carlingwood

RideauRat
Jul 16, 2020, 3:47 PM
can anybody provide light on this??
A new high-density proposal for the former Nielsen Dairy (Clyde and the 417)
A site plan application for 163-167 Parkdale (an already approved high-rise)

last lines in the article
http://kitchissippiward.ca/content/kitchissippi-development-overview

J.OT13
Jul 17, 2020, 8:59 PM
I posted the whole article in the Commercial Real Estate , but I though I would post the downtown related portions here, including speculation on the future of 110 O'Connor.

No end to office space crunch in sight, veteran Ottawa real estate exec says

David Sali, OBJ
July 17, 2020

About 330,000 square feet of new office space is currently under construction in the capital – but most of it is part of the $1.5-billion Zibi redevelopment project on the former Domtar lands just north of the Canadian War Museum and is already pre-leased, “providing little in the way of space for new growth,” the CBRE report says.

Downtown market

In the central business district, the rate increased from six per cent to 6.8 per cent – mostly due to the Department of National Defence vacating 190,000 square feet of space at 110 O’Connor St. earlier this year as it shifted its operations to the former Nortel campus on Moodie Drive – while in the tech hub of Kanata the vacancy rate ticked up one-tenth of a percentage point to 6.3 per cent.

Cominar’s property at 110 O’Connor is one of the few large blocks of space available anywhere in the city right now, and Hamilton said he’s eager to see what becomes of the 14-storey class-B office tower near the corner of Slater Street.

“I’m sure given the state of the multi-residential market in Ottawa, they’re giving thought to … a multi-residential play,” he said. “There’s a whole host of opportunities that surround that building. We’re waiting to see how it plays out.”

https://obj.ca/article/no-end-office-space-crunch-sight-veteran-ottawa-real-estate-exec-says

J.OT13
Jul 17, 2020, 9:19 PM
I appreciate the architecture of 110 O'Connor and hope they can preserve the building, either as an office or as an adaptive re-use residential.

In an ideal world, any project would include the redevelopment of the parking garage next door, although I don't believe it's owned by the same company (2009 proposal (http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140992&highlight=laurier)).

https://content.cominar.com/resized/w911h550/properties/110-rue-oconnor/619StephanPoulin6283-preview.gif
https://espaces.cominar.com/en/office/614/110-oconnor-street/

kwoldtimer
Jul 17, 2020, 9:29 PM
I’m trying to understand the comment about residential for 110 O’Connor if the issue is the shortage of office space. :shrug:

J.OT13
Jul 17, 2020, 9:49 PM
I’m trying to understand the comment about residential for 110 O’Connor if the issue is the shortage of office space. :shrug:

Demand for B-Class office space is not as high as A-Class. The owner therefore has a few options:

Leave it as is, however, it might take a while to find a new tenant and it will not be as profitable when that new tenant is found;
Upgrade the building to Class-A office space by completing a major overhaul;
Convert it to residential;
Demolish and start over.

We've seen at least two major upgrades over the last 10 years:

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238589&highlight=slater

https://metcalfe.ca/property/123-slater-street/

And and least two residential conversions:

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233041&highlight=Metcalfe

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241475&highlight=albert

Not to mention countless demo/reset projects.

rocketphish
Jul 18, 2020, 5:18 PM
Moved the "Highcroft" discussion over here:

https://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238793

11a2b3
Jul 20, 2020, 2:51 AM
Demand for B-Class office space is not as high as A-Class. The owner therefore has a few options:

Leave it as is, however, it might take a while to find a new tenant and it will not be as profitable when that new tenant is found;
Upgrade the building to Class-A office space by completing a major overhaul;
Convert it to residential;
Demolish and start over.

We've seen at least two major upgrades over the last 10 years:

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238589&highlight=slater

https://metcalfe.ca/property/123-slater-street/

And and least two residential conversions:

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233041&highlight=Metcalfe

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241475&highlight=albert

Not to mention countless demo/reset projects.

Seems they had plans for a reclad:

https://i.imgur.com/vr0z8nU.jpg

Source: https://sl2-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/user_assets/original/0892eba65713019803fdbaf94afdf19917176ee4.pdf?1527863873

J.OT13
Jul 20, 2020, 1:57 PM
Not bad, though I would like to preserve the 45 degree corners and maybe the angled pillars.

RideauRat
Aug 11, 2020, 1:04 AM
Hey i'm not sure it's been posted yet but there is an applicants proposal on 163 Parkdale ave 31 Stories looks brand new.

RideauRat
Aug 11, 2020, 1:07 AM
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Image%20Referencing_Site%20Plan%20Application_Image%20Reference_2020-07-27%20-%20Architectural%20Drawings%20-%20D07-12-12-0133.PDF

renders

[ edit ] it's been posted but i guess the project renders and details have been updated, move my posts accordingly! thanks in advance :)

Harley613
Aug 11, 2020, 1:20 AM
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Image%20Referencing_Site%20Plan%20Application_Image%20Reference_2020-07-27%20-%20Architectural%20Drawings%20-%20D07-12-12-0133.PDF

renders

[ edit ] it's been posted but i guess the project renders and details have been updated, move my posts accordingly! thanks in advance :)

Hey that looks pretty good! It's from Richcraft, so I look forward to seeing it get built in 2035! :haha:

kevinbottawa
Aug 11, 2020, 1:26 AM

renders

TACT Architecture does some good work. Here's a Dymon Storage they designed near Yorkdale in Toronto.

https://i.imgur.com/7cJppJ1.jpg?1

rocketphish
Aug 11, 2020, 3:26 AM
Hey i'm not sure it's been posted yet but there is an applicants proposal on 163 Parkdale ave 31 Stories looks brand new.

Good catch. I've updated our thread for this site over here:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200308

zzptichka
Aug 14, 2020, 2:38 PM
Does Ville de Gatineau have a portal where one can find PDFs of submitted development applications, like City of Ottawa have (https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/home.jsf?lang=en)?

J.OT13
Aug 14, 2020, 3:03 PM
Does Ville de Gatineau have a portal where one can find PDFs of submitted development applications, like City of Ottawa have (https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/home.jsf?lang=en)?

I've never been able to find a Gatineau equivalent of the City of Ottawa's devapp website. Always been very impressed and appreciative of this invaluable resource offered by the City of Ottawa and wish all cities had an equivalent.

J.OT13
Aug 21, 2020, 1:36 PM
UQO/McGill University's Outaouais Medical Faculty opened this week.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/sante/faculte-satellite-de-medecine-une-journee-historique-pour-loutaouais-281d29dd6f76e5635de02f053327a13d

rocketphish
Aug 28, 2020, 12:12 AM
Lowertown Baptist church looks to sell property for redevelopment

By: OBJ staff
Published: Aug 26, 2020 12:25pm EDT

https://www.obj.ca/sites/default/files/styles/article_main/public/2020-08/Screenshot%202020-08-26%20at%2011.12.48%20AM.png

A francophone Baptist church in Lowertown wants the city to rezone its property for mixed-use development as it looks to sell the building and construct a larger facility in another neighbourhood.

Ottawa Baptist Evangelical Church says its current house of worship on the southwest corner of King Edward Avenue and Clarence Street is too small for its growing congregation. The church, which is more than a century old, takes up almost all of the 5,000-square-foot lot.

“The size of the church no longer serves the needs of its congregation and to provide the most flexibility to sell the site a commercial zone is sought,” reads a rezoning application recently filed with the city.

“The rezoning will provide an opportunity for a wider range of permitted uses on the site … that would attract a wider spectrum of potential buyers and the possibility of consolidation with adjacent sites.”

The property on the eastern edge of the ByWard Market is currently zoned for minor institutional uses that allow for only a limited range of residential development. The church is seeking a traditional mainstreet designation in a bid to “expand the range of uses for the site” to include commercial space.

Local real estate developer GBA Group, which filed the application on behalf of the church, said the “ultimate proposed redevelopment” of the property would be a “mixed-use project with residential the predominant use,” adding it would likely be a midrise development of at least five storeys.

According to the application, a review has also been launched to determine if the church merits a heritage designation.

The results of the study “possibly will affect the proposed zoning of the site,” the report said, noting the “cultural heritage element of the church will be determined through work now under way with the City of Ottawa.”

If the plan goes ahead, it would be the latest in a string of local projects that have seen churches converted into mixed-use developments. Others include the former St. Brigid’s church on nearby St. Patrick Street, which is now an arts centre, and Little Italy co-working space Collabüro, which opened last fall in the former home of the German Evangelical Martin Luther Church of Ottawa on Preston Street.

https://www.obj.ca/article/real-estate/residential/lowertown-baptist-church-looks-sell-property-redevelopment

J.OT13
Sep 1, 2020, 5:58 PM
I hadn't heard of this until today, but the Wellington West BIA received approval from FEDCO to expand it's boundaries.

https://i1.wp.com/wellingtonwest.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/image.png?resize=585%2C267&ssl=1
https://wellingtonwest.ca/boundaryexpansion/

Jayday23
Sep 2, 2020, 12:37 AM
A couple notes:

(1) a new development is coming to Riverside Mall
(2) the property is owned by Brigil, which is bringing forward a pre-plan consult with Riley Brockington soon.

kwoldtimer
Sep 2, 2020, 12:50 AM
A couple notes:

(2) the property is owned by Brigil, which is bringing forward a pre-plan consult with Riley Brockington soon.

I believe that, after buying the property last year, Brígil undertook to meet the community by the end of this year.

OTSkyline
Sep 2, 2020, 2:24 PM
Pretty big lot, and just next to Riverside Drive and Mooney's Bay, excited to see the proposal.

Too bad this area is not served well by rapid transit. A pretty far walk to Trillium Line or transitway. Only served by a few key routes on Riverside...

gosouth
Sep 2, 2020, 9:22 PM
I noticed the Petro Canada station on the south east corner of Bank and Walkley is shut down, and the lot is fenced. Does anybody know what's happening there?

kwoldtimer
Sep 2, 2020, 9:37 PM
Same thing for the Tim Hortons at King Edward and Patrick. Closed for renovation, perhaps?

eltodesukane
Sep 2, 2020, 10:52 PM
Same thing for Tim Hortons at Woodroffe and Knoxdale.

TransitZilla
Sep 3, 2020, 3:35 AM
Same thing for Tim Hortons at Woodroffe and Knoxdale.

That one's been closed ever since the tornado. Not sure it's coming back.

Proof Sheet
Sep 3, 2020, 10:08 AM
Same thing for the Tim Hortons at King Edward and Patrick. Closed for renovation, perhaps?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comments/ihawpm/tim_hortons_at_king_edward_and_st_patrick_rage/

Not according to this...also a $25 million dollar land assembly for sale just to the west mentioned in the same Reddit thread.

rocketphish
Sep 3, 2020, 11:49 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comments/ihawpm/tim_hortons_at_king_edward_and_st_patrick_rage/

Not according to this...also a $25 million dollar land assembly for sale just to the west mentioned in the same Reddit thread.

Very interesting. I think that this is worth reposting here. I assume that these are all Claude Lauzon Group properties:

https://i.imgur.com/z6V97gX.png

https://i.imgur.com/q3V1b1L.png

https://i.imgur.com/s28K0HB.png

https://i.imgur.com/938OyMz.png

https://i.imgur.com/tbfMr5h.png

https://i.imgur.com/ncLciC0.png

https://i.imgur.com/ghpga9C.png

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/22041273/340-st-patrick-street-ottawa-old-bytown

And right across the street:
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/22040983/305-cumberland-street-ottawa-old-bytown

J.OT13
Sep 3, 2020, 12:51 PM
Very interesting. I think that this is worth reposting here. I assume that these are all Claude Lauzon Group properties:

https://i.imgur.com/z6V97gX.png

https://i.imgur.com/q3V1b1L.png

https://i.imgur.com/s28K0HB.png

https://i.imgur.com/938OyMz.png

https://i.imgur.com/tbfMr5h.png

https://i.imgur.com/ncLciC0.png

https://i.imgur.com/ghpga9C.png

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/22041273/340-st-patrick-street-ottawa-old-bytown

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/22040983/305-cumberland-street-ottawa-old-bytown

Here's the thread for this one:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220026&highlight=cumberland

rocketphish
Sep 3, 2020, 4:53 PM
Here's the thread for this one:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220026&highlight=cumberland

Well, sort of, but not really. The project that thread describes occupies only a third of the area of this new concept. If this land assembly ever sells we'll figure something out.

Proof Sheet
Sep 3, 2020, 7:28 PM

Lauzon only owned the corner property with the falling down school. This land assembly doesn't have the SE corner of Cumberland/St Patrick but has a lot of the whole block other than the Tim Horton's and the Shepherds building.

I don't believe Lauzon is involved anymore. The garage property at the SE corner of Cumberland/Murray is also owned by the same group as the large land assembly I believe.

It is a lot money but lots of potential but unfortunately by Ottawa standards one of the more difficult blocks in terms of neighbours.

rocketphish
Sep 5, 2020, 6:24 PM
This is interesting. Not sure if Rod Lahey is involved or not...

Minecraft version of uOttawa's Fauteux Hall now open to students

Taylor Blewett, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Sep 05, 2020 • Last Updated 17 hours ago • 2 minute read

https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.digital/ottawacitizen/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/exterieur_fauteux_1200x624_79985328-w.jpg?quality=100&strip=all&w=650

Without masks or capacity limits or any need for physical distancing, the University of Ottawa campus community can again convene in Fauteux Hall.

They’ll just have to get used to it looking a little blockier.

In April, civil law professors and faculty research chairs Thomas Burelli and Alexandre Lillo began construction of a virtual version of the five-storey Faculty of Law building inside the popular video game Minecraft. According to a uOttawa media release, students Rami Halawi and Simon Garceau lent design and coding expertise to the project.

The replica structure came together block by block until it was officially inaugurated Thursday with a guided virtual tour (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RND9mbA12Xk&feature=youtu.be). Its creators did not scrimp on details, either: The Minecraft version of Fauteux Hall has name-plated offices, projectors and screens in lecture halls. Even espresso machines.

For its creators, what started as a project “just for the fun of it” in the peak of pandemic lockdown has exciting potential in a school year that will be largely virtual.

According to the uOttawa media release, interested students will be able to mingle in and build on the Minecraft version of Fauteux Hall. A server address, fauteux.apexmc.co, was shared at the end of the virtual tour.

“If you want to join the project, if you want to expand the campus, if you are from another faculty or if you have friends from other faculties and you want to expand it, we are open to it,” Burelli said after concluding the tour.

“We don’t want to do it because it’s too much work, to be honest,” he said, laughing. “But, if you want to participate … go.”

The media release takes the vision for a Minecraft version of the university even further, noting that, “In the longer term, if the project were to generate sufficient interest, the university could consider linking this potential virtual campus to various university services, provided that user privacy is properly protected, of course.”

If YouTube comments on the Fauteux virtual tour on Thursday were any indication, the Minecraft project has inspired a mix of pride, excitement and envy in the uOttawa community.

“Sick. I cannot wait to explore this,” one commented.

“I’m in (engineering). I really wish they had done the same for us,” another said.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/block-by-block-minecraft-version-of-uottawas-fauteux-hall-now-open-to-students/wcm/3e85fc7f-15b4-4486-baa6-60a5efe0b533/

Tortuga
Sep 8, 2020, 1:22 PM
A couple notes:

Looks like they already had some kind of meeting. You can see some renderings in this photo Brockington posted on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/RiverWardRiley/status/1301589514205491201/photo/1

https://i.postimg.cc/pTp03hVW/Screen-Shot-2020-09-08-at-9-15-51-AM.png

trhgr
Sep 10, 2020, 4:28 PM
Lauzon only owned the corner property with the falling down school.

It doesn't look like that whatever is left of the old school's wall is part of the proposal. Is the facade classified as heritage? It's been slowly decaying for as long as I can remember (but could be easily replicated though).

kwoldtimer
Sep 10, 2020, 4:45 PM
It doesn't look like that whatever is left of the old school's wall is part of the proposal. Is the facade classified as heritage? It's been slowly decaying for as long as I can remember (but could be easily replicated though).

Yes, the proposal incorporates the two walls of the school. Iirc, the old house next door on Cumberland is also a heritage building.

J.OT13
Sep 11, 2020, 1:35 PM
rocketphish, I think you might have accidentally locked the 811 Gladstone Ave thread. :D

rocketphish
Sep 11, 2020, 6:06 PM
rocketphish, I think you might have accidentally locked the 811 Gladstone Ave thread. :D

Yes, quite possibly, though I don't know how. I did add content there and update the title last night. Try again please.

Jayday23
Sep 12, 2020, 1:05 AM
A heard a rumour today that the OAC site is up for development. Anyone got the inside scoop?

kwoldtimer
Sep 12, 2020, 1:11 AM
With the club closing, it would make sense.

rocketphish
Sep 13, 2020, 12:23 AM
Building that houses Barefax, The 27 Club, is up for sale for $6 million
"Club and bar licences also negotiable," reads the real estate listing for 27 York St.

Taylor Blewett, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Sep 12, 2020 • Last Updated 1 hour ago • 1 minute read

https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.digital/ottawacitizen/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/0913-27-york03_80129184-w.jpg?quality=100&strip=all&w=750

The building that houses Barefax Gentlemen’s Club in the ByWard Market is up for sale, but it’s unclear if this means the end of an era for what could be considered the best-known strip club in Ottawa.

The property at 27 York St. is listed for $6 million, with the sale being promoted by its Royal LePage agent as a “rare opportunity to own an Ottawa landmark” with “endless possibilities.

Built in 1940, the property boasts 10,000 square feet over three floors, plus a basement, a freight elevator and a commercial kitchen.

In addition to Barefax, the building also houses The 27 Club, a nightclub popular for its live music and themed dance parties. That space was formerly home to Zaphod Beeblebrox, a renowned music venue that served as the setting for a Rolling Stones music video in 2005.

“Club and bar licences also negotiable,” reads the real estate listing for 27 York St. Adult entertainment licenses, meanwhile, are non-transferable.

This newspaper contacted the listing’s sales representative, Anthony Cava. He confirmed that the building and Barefax’s owners were one and the same, but declined to comment further, as per his client’s instructions.

This newspaper was not immediately able to reach any of the owners or business operators associated with the property.

On its Facebook page, Barefax references operating for more than four decades. The 27 Club opened in 2017.

Following the pandemic shutdown of most businesses in Ontario, Barefax reopened July 21 with new rules: no physical contact, no dancing or mingling between patrons, and face coverings for the dancers, among others.

In July, The 27 Club noted that its events and concerts remained cancelled until further notice, but its new patio would be open for business.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/building-that-houses-barefax-the-27-club-is-up-for-sale-for-6-million/wcm/c2d2b619-f9e0-4288-a803-3c10303e57b3/

Mille Sabords
Sep 13, 2020, 12:57 AM
[B]Building that houses Barefax, The 27 Club, is up for sale for $6 million
[I]"Club and bar licences also negotiable," reads the real estate listing for 27 York St.

Ottawa needs a downtown strip bar - come on!@!@

LeadingEdgeBoomer
Sep 13, 2020, 1:00 PM
Ottawa needs a downtown strip bar - come on!@!@

As per the above article--adult entertainment licenses are not transferable. Thus, the strip club is gone for good. :runaway:

A little birdie told me that the straw that broke the camel's back was insurance.

The insurance contract for the Fax ran out. The club had a hard time getting anyone to sell them a new one. The few that would wanted so much money it would kill all profit for the business.:deal:

I guess it is a business that is considered to be very high risk in the Pandemic era. :titanic:

alamgirkhan
Sep 23, 2020, 3:04 AM
Land sale by the city closing by end of this year: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/cache/2/pe3t1lvf0kzkaybqngm4iy14/65790009222020105121867_9.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/924/Y85kJE.png

J.OT13
Sep 23, 2020, 3:10 AM
Didn't know the City owned it. Wonder how much Lone Star pays for the parking.

AuxTown
Sep 23, 2020, 7:24 PM
Anybody know what was going on in Hull this morning? Looked like a pretty big fire.

https://i.imgur.com/yYHg2J5h.jpg

Norman Bates
Sep 23, 2020, 9:26 PM
Anybody know what was going on in Hull this morning? Looked like a pretty big fire.

https://i.imgur.com/yYHg2J5h.jpg

Bytowne Gunners opening of Parliament?

J.OT13
Oct 10, 2020, 1:01 PM
I can't find a good picture of the completed art piece, but here's a new one in Hintonburg.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EioYtu2WsAAMAoG?format=jpg&name=small
https://twitter.com/JLeiper/status/1308885821605511170

https://i0.wp.com/wellingtonwest.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/image.png?fit=600%2C252&ssl=1
https://wellingtonwest.ca/hintonburgplaceplaza/

yotajoe
Oct 10, 2020, 2:04 PM
I can't find a good picture of the completed art piece, but here's a new one in Hintonburg.

You can't find a good picture because theres no good angle to this thing. I get they were trying to do something different here but every time I look at this thing it looks terrible at ground level.

kevinbottawa
Oct 10, 2020, 4:16 PM
You can't find a good picture because theres no good angle to this thing. I get they were trying to do something different here but every time I look at this thing it looks terrible at ground level.

Maybe the execution wasn't the best, but it was a great idea - a gateway, art piece and street furniture all in one.

Kitchissippi
Oct 10, 2020, 4:25 PM
Monument to the Victims of Vandalism? :haha:

J.OT13
Oct 10, 2020, 7:06 PM

It's a bit strange to introduce an art piece best seen from the upper floors of the buildings across the street, but I still think it's an interesting piece. It adds a splash of colour to an otherwise beige intersection, some seating a general visual interest.

rocketphish
Oct 15, 2020, 10:10 PM
When I read articles like this, I always have to wonder if the people who are complaining about saving the trees growing in the hydro corridor are the same people who are illegally encroaching on the hydro corridor?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.4045278,-75.6593505,136a,35y,356.11h,13.68t/data=!3m1!1e3

Alta Vista residents don't like Hydro One's plan to raze trees near hospital link

Publishing date: Oct 15, 2020 • Last Updated 1 hour ago • 2 minute read

A utility’s plan to remove vegetation under power lines in Alta Vista has residents decrying the impending damage to an ecosystem and loss of a natural screen between homes and a new road.

Hydro One says it needs to manage vegetation around its transmission lines to make sure trees and branches aren’t touching the wires. When it comes to the hydro corridor that traverses Alta Vista Drive, the utility says its work will include “selective trimming and select removal of certain trees and branches.”

But residents don’t understand why the utility needs to clear out the trees and brush along the corridor between Abbey Road and Knox Crescent, potentially affecting wildlife and disrupting recreational green space.

“It’s really back to the ecosystem,” LeRoy Blake said from his home on Alta Vista Drive where the hydro corridor meets the road. “It’s back to the young children. This is their heritage. This is back to our need to be custodians of nature.”

The area has already undergone disruption with the construction of the controversial Hospital Link Road connecting Riverside Drive with the hospital campus on Smyth Road. The community was upset when, nearly 10 years ago, the city began work on road through green space to relieve traffic congestion on Alta Vista and Smyth roads. Many residents feared the installation of a hospital-link expressway.

An online petition calling on Hydro One to stop plans to remove the trees and brush had, after a week, collected more than 1,300 names as of mid-afternoon Thursday.

Blake said there has already been a loss of vegetation in the area with the construction of the hospital link. The hydro corridor is enjoyed by school groups, dog walkers and anyone who enjoys strolling through the green space, Blake said.

“We get the sense this is an economic stand (by Hydro One),” Blake said

On the other hand, Hydro One says its plans are rooted in safety.

“A section of the corridor near Alta Vista Drive contains fast-growing, dense vegetation with a number of mature trees right under and near the power lines, posing a public safety risk and threat to the reliability of the electricity system,” Hydro One said in a response relayed by Alex Stewart of the utility’s communications department.

“This section of vegetation requires specialized equipment to be brought in to conduct the work and ensure the safety of our crews, the reliability of the electrical system and the safety of residents using the corridor.”

Crews intend to begin work this winter. In place of the removed vegetation, the utility plans to grow “pollinator species” in the corridor to provide homes for birds, bees and other wildlife.

Kris Nanda, who lives on Knox Crescent, said removing vegetation seems counterintuitive to Hydro One aiming to reduce its environmental footprint.

“Clear cutting and getting rid of all those things is overkill and there are better options,” Nanda said.

Nanda said the COVID-19 pandemic has prompted more people to pursue outdoor activities and he worries the noisy tree-removal work will affect recreation in the hydro corridor this winter.

“The more outdoor outlets there are, the better,” Nanda said.

Hydro One was scheduled to have a consultation with residents Thursday evening.

jwilling@postmedia.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/alta-vista-residents-dont-like-hydro-ones-plan-to-raze-trees-near-hospital-link

kwoldtimer
Oct 15, 2020, 10:22 PM
Aren't trees growing in a hydro corridor considered a safety hazard? In any event, when neighbours complain about somebody NOT removing trees it will be newsworthy. Otherwise, (yawn).

Just read the Hydor comments - indeed a safety issue.

Proof Sheet
Oct 15, 2020, 10:33 PM
When I read articles like this, I always have to wonder if the people who are complaining about saving the trees growing in the hydro corridor are the same people who are illegally encroaching on the hydro corridor?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.4045278,-75.6593505,136a,35y,356.11h,13.68t/data=!3m1!1e3

They are also the same people, sitting in a single occupancy car, complaining about traffic consisting of other cars with one occupant. Remember, they don't create traffic..others do.

J.OT13
Oct 16, 2020, 1:00 PM
Cutting down a handful of trees and trimming some branches and it's like the sky is falling down. Hyperboles like "clear cutting is overkill", "This is their heritage", "We get the sense this is an economic stand (by Hydro One)", doesn't help their case. No clear cutting involved. Trees in a hydro corridor does not qualify as heritage. How the hell can you spin this as an "economic stand", unless preventing a tree from falling on a major hydro corridor is somehow a profit driven decision.

It's not like we're razing Mer Bleue, just some selective trimming for safety reasons. If these people are so concerned about the ecosystem, maybe they should be at City Hall fighting new suburban development. :uhh:

AuxTown
Oct 16, 2020, 1:38 PM
Many of those residents along the Hospital Link bought those houses hedging their bets that Ottawa would never get it's shit together and make that road happen. The same goes for people backing onto the hydro corridor. They seem to think it is protected greenspace for their enjoyment. It's nice that they can enjoy the hydro corridor but it is what it is and routine maintenance to ensure safe consistent delivery of hydro takes precedence over any of their concerns.

OTownandDown
Oct 16, 2020, 7:22 PM
A great number of these people have expanded their back yards into the hydro corrodor, some by like 100 feet. They're just worried about the scrutiny and losing their own personal 'greenspace'.

Also, some of the trees in here are huge, and are dangerously close to the power lines. Would your rather the lines arc to the ground through the trees and electrocute everyone enjoying your semi-legal back yard, Karen?

Edit: Who does all the grass cutting in this corridor? The City? There's SO many planters and gardens and hedges and etc. back here. I'm amazed the City pays someone to carefully trim around all this. Also, the 'hospital link' is through a very dense thicket of jungle and swamp, in addition to the width of the Hydro corridor. Spare me.

rocketphish
Oct 22, 2020, 12:01 AM
Hydro One changes course on controversial tree-cutting plan in Alta Vista

Publishing date: Oct 21, 2020 • Last Updated 42 minutes ago • 1 minute read

Community backlash has zapped Hydro One’s plans to bulldoze trees in an area of Alta Vista.

The utility notified residents that mechanical removal of vegetation near Alta Vista Drive, north of Hospital Link Road, won’t be required and only selective trimming and removal of trees to protect the transmission lines will happen.

In a response from Hydro Ottawa relayed by spokesperson Alex Stewart, the utility said it “values feedback from the community which is why we hosted a virtual engagement session regarding necessary work in the community, attended by over 70 residents.”

The utility said it’s integrating the public feedback into the scheduled work.

Residents, armed with a growing petition of more than 1,800 signatures, had been pushing back against the utility’s original plans of wiping out much of the trees and brush in an area between Abbey Road and Knox Crescent.

The online consultation with Hydro One last week ended with residents disappointed with the utility’s response. The city councillor for the area, Jean Cloutier, held a subsequent consultation to discuss the community’s concern, even though Hydro One doesn’t fall under the jurisdiction of the municipal government.

At odds were the concerns by the utility to keep vegetation from interfering with hydro infrastructure and the community’s concern about damaging the ecosystem in the hydro corridor. Residents have enjoyed using the open space for recreational activities, such as cross-country skiing and walking their dogs. Some have also cited the brush as an extra screen between homes and the new hospital link.

Hydro One has told the community that crews will return in the winter to manually remove and trim vegetation using chainsaws and pruners in selective places, but mechanical removal of trees won’t happen.

The utility said it “will return over the next few years to continue the necessary work to ensure the corridor is safe in the long term.”

jwilling@postmedia.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/hydro-one-changes-course-on-controversial-tree-cutting-plan-in-alta-vista

Dzingle Bells
Oct 23, 2020, 12:54 PM
re-Cycles tweeted that their building at 473 Bronson has been sold. Would be a nice little development parcel if combined with the property at the southeast corner of Bronson and Gladstone.

https://twitter.com/recyclesottawa/status/1319467571884838912?s=20

JHikka
Oct 23, 2020, 1:57 PM
That's an interesting development. Would be great to see that corner developed with something mixed-use and chunky.

MarkR
Oct 28, 2020, 6:34 AM
That's an interesting development. Would be great to see that corner developed with something mixed-use and chunky.

I'm one of the staff with re-Cycles. Our current landlord's family built 473 Bronson back in 1925, and built 475-7 next door in the 1950s. Our landlord put our building up for sale after he was hit with a huge tax increase due to separating the above properties into two entities. I know he was angling to attract whoever might buy the empty lot beside us, as his original listing said that 475-7 could be made available as well. But instead a private buyer bought our building for their own use so now we have to leave after 11 years there.

I have indeed been amazed as to how long that lot beside us sat empty. Yes, it's an old gas station site, but it was remediated long ago and maybe Imperial Oil was waiting out a statute of limitations or something. It was put on the market back in Dec. 2019 for $2.6 mil.

Meantime, re-Cycles is trying to find that elusive affordable light industrial space in the core. And those old spaces are rapidly being bought by developers...

stolenottawa
Oct 28, 2020, 2:01 PM
Apparently 1247 Kilborn has been sold. That's the archdiocese building. Repairs to the roof and HVAC system were going to be too expensive. They're going to move into offices around the cathedral (I'm not sure where...)

The church in front (1244 Kilborn) has also apparently been sold.