HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 3:23 PM
菠蘿油

HONG KONG neighbourhood tour: Fanling and Sheung Shui

Have you seen my most recent Hong Kong threads? Check them out here:

Part I + Part II

I had a bit of extra time to kill last Monday so I decided to take the train up to Hong Kong's most northern reaches to wander around. It was a cold, gloomy day, which might not be good for taking photos, but it's certainly brisk walking weather.

Fanling and Sheung Shui are two contiguous towns in the north of Hong Kong's New Territories. They consist of old market towns, villages, suburban-style developments, plenty of industrial areas and many highrise housing estates. Together they cover three square miles and are home to about 250,000 people. That's relatively low density by Hong Kong standards.

Here's a map of my rather convoluted walking route. Check it out in street view.

FANLING

I wasn't intending to do anything special with these photos, so it's hardly a comprehensive tour. My first photo was taken about five minutes from Fanling train station, after walking through a shopping mall and a highrise housing estate.

Hong Kong people love to barbecue, especially in the winter, so if you've got any sort of patio, rooftop or terrace, it's pretty much a guarantee that you've got a grill sitting around.

This is suburban planning, Hong Kong style. On the left, there's a large arterial road heading towards an industrial area. On the right, a village. It's the same superblock concept as in suburbia anywhere, but in this case, the densities are higher and it's not as auto-oriented.

We've crossed into Luen Wo Hui, an old market town about 15 minutes by foot from the Fanling train station. This building is the old Fanling Cinema, the oldest operating movie theatre in Hong Kong before it shut down last year.

Luen Wo Hui is built along a street grid. It was one of several small towns where people from the surrounding farmland and villages brought their goods to sell.

The scale and density is similar to many parts of urban Hong Kong, albeit with more low-rises.

One of the great things about the old market towns is that, because rents are lower and there's less redevelopment pressure than in the city, it's easier to find businesses that have been around for decades.

There's also a greater variety of architecture. These corner buildings seem to date from the early 20th century (notice the pitched roofs) but they had some post-WWII additions, like the big balconies, which have since been enclosed.

This building has had 50 years worth of alterations and additions.

Luen Wo Hui has become a bit of a backwater over the years -- the real action around here takes place in the malls and housing estates.

60 years ago, though, this was the only real town for miles. Luen Wo Market was built by a farmers' cooperative in 1948 and it functioned as a public market until 2002, when it was replaced by a new air-conditioned market nearby. It is currently vacant and I'm not sure what will happen to it. There's a large open space behind the market that is now used as a parking lot. It would make a great central square for the area.

There was a temporary exhibition on Luen Wo Hui's history taking place inside the market when I visited.

The blocks in Luen Wo Hui are divided by I-shaped alleyways. Inside the alleys are small market stalls, most of which seem to be used for storage. A second storey was added onto this stall.

Hong Kong pawnshops act as money lenders. You give them something as collateral but they'll only sell it if you don't pay your debt.

Luen Wo Hui's streets were originally lined by two-storey shophouses. In the 1950s and 60s those were replaced by 5-6 storey tenements.

This is the edge of the old market town; beyond is a shopping mall surrounded by a large housing estate.

Along with the housing estates, Luen Wo Hui is surrounded by old country villages. Most of these villages are hundreds of years old. When the British leased the New Territories from China in 1898, they set up a system of local councils that allowed each village to elect its own chief. In the 1970s, the colonial government passed a law allowing each male member of an indigenous village family to build a tax-free house of no more than 2,100 square feet.

This has created a strange kind of sprawl: thousands of cookie-cutter three-storey houses, some of them single-family, most divided into three or more flats. It has also meant that indigenous villagers get money for nothing. Because most villages are now within easy commuting distance of the city, a villager can build a house for virtually no money and flip it for millions.

Anyway, long story short: despite the fact that villages like this one are ancient, their building stock consists almost entirely of houses built post-1970. The only reminders of the past are ancestral halls, study halls and temples like this old building in the centre of the frame.

This bamboo scaffolding was being set up for a ceremonial banner, maybe for the upcoming Chinese New Year.

This is Fanling Wai, about five minutes from the train station. It's 900 years old. The entrance to the village is the little archway flanked by red banners on the left.

SHEUNG SHUI

Right next to Fanling Wai is the North District Park, and beyond that is Sheung Shui. I didn't take any photos in the park -- don't ask me why -- so we now find ourselves in the old market town of Shek Wu Hui, next to Sheung Shui train station, one stop away from Fanling.

The next two photos were taken on a similarly gloomy day two years ago, but I wanted to give you a sense of Shek Wu Hui's scale. There aren't as many highrises as Luen Wo Hui but it's actually a lot busier.

There isn't much you can't buy in Shek Wu Hui.

It's a transportation hub for the surrounding area. Aside from the train and regular buses, you can catch minibuses that will zip you to Mongkok, Yuen Long and other parts of town at dangerously high speeds.

This particular minibus was slowed down by a dog that dashed into the street, squatted on the pavement and took a big shit.

It's not pretty but it has a lively, gritty feel.

Time to head back to town and meet my girlfriend as she gets off work at 6:30. This is the train pulling into Sheung Shui station, the first stop after the border with China. Shenzhen and all its madness is just one station away.

The train was packed. I got off at Fanling station, walked to the far end of the platform and waited for the next one so I could get a seat for the 40-minute ride back to town.

Hope you enjoyed! If the response is good I might do some more comprehensive Hong Kong neighbourhood tours.

Also, at some point in the future, I'll finally finish working on all my photos from the past year and post threads for Beijing, Guangzhou, Seoul, Bangkok, Saigon, Kuala Lumpur, Phuket and Macau.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; Jan 9, 2011 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Overall, HK is a real slum. I've been there and witnessed it in person.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Dude, don't be an ass. That's one incredible place.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 6:16 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Amazing! I can't help but always think that city looks so vulnerable if there were to be an earthquake though.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 6:35 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Please, keep posting threads like this. HK is amazing.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 7:39 PM
zzzzzzzz

amazing tour. Excellent composition on all these shots.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 2:40 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Wonderful!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 5:27 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I've never explored the New Territories. I always base myself in Kowloon or HK Island when I'm there. This thread really opened my eyes to how much more city bliss there is to be found in HK that I never knew about.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 6:54 AM
them bones

The New Territories were an interesting place to explore for me the first time I was in HK in 1998. Being my first trip out of the US, I was fascinated to find how the suburbs function in other parts of the world (stayed for 11 days in Tin Shui Wai).

I think one of the most unique things about the NT is just how many variations of good public transport there are to get anywhere within the NT, not just from there to HK or Shenzen. The mini-buses are quite easy.

IIRC, my friend took me to the 12th Century Fanling village you mentioned. I really wish I'd paid more attention.

I also recall that somewhere quite near Fanling there is a hilly park with good views of the Shenzen skyline. It's actually quite staggering how much of HK is set aside as mountain parkland.

Please, keep up the neighborhood tours KT, I never tire of HK threads.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 10:08 AM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole
I'm glad you survived the ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko
I think one of the most unique things about the NT is just how many variations of good public transport there are to get anywhere within the NT, not just from there to HK or Shenzen. The mini-buses are quite easy.
The minibuses are great but you need to learn some basic Cantonese vocabulary to get off. Aside from the basics ("yau lok," "bah see zam"), each route has its own specific terminology ("Let me off at the garbage cans/old firehall/Lam's farm/etc.") which can make things intimidating. The red ones are especially handy but even trickier because they're cash-only and they have no fixed route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko
I also recall that somewhere quite near Fanling there is a hilly park with good views of the Shenzen skyline. It's actually quite staggering how much of HK is set aside as mountain parkland.
Do you remember whether it was a city park or a country park? The only park I know of that has views of the Shenzhen skyline is Yuen Long Park.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 2:32 PM
In the mood for lasagne!

Thanks, I enjoyed that.
Very interesting and I really hope you post more neighbourhoods!!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 4:30 PM
furified freestyle

typical trout on detail duty. (not to be confused with the dog dootie in front of that bus, HA HA.) those shots into and out from the alleyways really help to flesh it out. it's a little amusing that "suburbs" is the best word we have to relate such a hemmed in, buzzing place to what we know. pretty good stuff, and great photos as always.

(also, this many years into it and she's still 'girlfriend'? you two have balance, boy.)

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 5:36 PM
Community Guy

I love how ghetto and downtrodden areas of HK look.

Gorgeous silvia

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 5:43 PM

Thanks for touring these areas, definitely something I've never seen before. Quality shots too.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 4:32 PM
Illustrator, editor

Good quality on these "every day side" HK photos.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Gorgeous silvia
Yes, that car stood out to me as well (being a car buff).

Anyways, excellent tour. The Hong Kong area in general is definitely a place to visit on my bucket list.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 1:50 PM

Superb photography. I reckon about 95% of everything I know about China comes from this forum.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 2:36 PM
菠蘿油

thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso
(also, this many years into it and she's still 'girlfriend'? you two have balance, boy.)
yep. just don't really see the point in getting married. common law forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedhead
I reckon about 95% of everything I know about China comes from this forum.
glad to be of service! you should pay it a visit. though hong kong is not china by any stretch of the imagination. "real" china is entirely different.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:05 PM

Yes, one of the things I'm gradually learning. I must get over there one of these days.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 6:14 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
The minibuses are great but you need to learn some basic Cantonese vocabulary to get off. Aside from the basics ("yau lok," "bah see zam"), each route has its own specific terminology ("Let me off at the garbage cans/old firehall/Lam's farm/etc.") which can make things intimidating. The red ones are especially handy but even trickier because they're cash-only and they have no fixed route.
True. I was with a friend of mine that I went to college with who grew up in the NT so no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
Do you remember whether it was a city park or a country park? The only park I know of that has views of the Shenzhen skyline is Yuen Long Park.
I honestly don't recall (after almost 13 years my memory is a little hazy)...we did spend time in Yuen Long as well...

I'll have to dig up the view...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos