HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 10:18 PM

Brew Thread

It's old, it's new and it's salvaged for brew
Hopworks brewpub took 21 months to build and is a showcase of sustainability
Thursday, March 20, 2008
JOHN FOYSTON
The Oregonian

Christian Ettinger's new beard is growing in nicely, but he'll be happy to shave Tuesday, when Hopworks Urban Brewery is scheduled to open after a 21-month gestation.

His general manager, head brewer and chef also started beards a few months back, vowing not to shave until the doors opened at the brewery/restaurant/pub on Southeast Powell Boulevard. "I originally thought we'd be open a year ago," Ettinger said, "that was a naive fantasy, as it turned out: The rule seems to be double your timeline and double your budget."

When it opens, the brewpub will occupy 9,200 square feet of the former Sunset Fuel Co. building -- about half -- and will likely be Oregon's greenest and most sustainable. The brew kettle and the brewery truck run on biodiesel made from the deep-fryers' used oil; waste heat from the pizza ovens warms brewing water; the landscaping (native species except for the Scotch broom stabilizing the soil) is irrigated and the brewery washed down with runoff caught from the roof and saved in a 5,000-gallon tank; and the reflective roof provides a substantially cooler environment for air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment, increasing their efficiency.

As befits the acronym HUB, the place caters to Portland's love of two-wheeled transport with dedicated motorcycle parking, a bicycle repair stand by the front door and meeting space for clubs and community groups. You can buy a new bicycle inner tube at the bar with your pint of Hopworks organic ale -- which pours from a hexagonal stainless steel tap rail that looks like an Allen wrench plugged into the head of a huge socket bolt.

"All the creative stuff takes forever," Ettinger said as he showed off the bar's superstructure -- 42 bicycle frames skewered on a pipe-work frame and suspended over the copper-clad bar. Ettinger's architect dad, Roy Ettinger, provided much of the creativity and the nuts-and-bolts common sense as well. "I would've never attempted a place this big without his help," Ettinger said.

That creativity shows up everywhere, usually in the form of reducing/reusing/recycling. The bar, dining booths and other furnishings are made from timbers, joists and paneling saved during a monthlong deconstruction of the original interior. Other interior elements, such as Roy Ettinger's staircases, are built from traffic-sign standards and industrial materials. Together, the Ettingers built the massive steel deck the juts out over the long back lot. It's quiet back there, remote from Powell's unending bustle, and the view of the West Hills promises some spectacular sunset sessions to come.

Don't worry: There'll be beer to go with those sunsets. Some have worried that the beer might be overshadowed as the project grew ever more involved, but Ettinger remains a national-award-winning brewer at heart. Hopworks organic beers are available at 50 pubs and restaurants around the area and will soon be pouring at the source.

The pub also features planters made from beer kegs sawn in half, after a Pennsylvania brewery deemed it cheaper to scrap them in Portland than ship them home. The pub's gas fireplace is reworked from an old English pub fermenter bought for its scrap value and the Vault is just as it sounds: An old Mosler walk-in bank vault fitted as a private booth with a pedal-powered Lazy Susan -- and a nonlocking door.

Spent brewery grains will feed livestock; organic grain is used in bread and pizza crust; sauces and dressings are scratch-made to reduce packaging; and the coffee comes from Stumptown a few blocks away on Division Street. The napkins are 100 percent recycled material and RC cola is on tap because it's sold in returnable steel canisters, not the throwaway plastic bladders used by other companies. Order it to go, and it'll be served in a compostable corn-based cup.

No pub has more completely embraced Portland's passions, which is just as well because it's been almost two years since Ettinger, the former head brewer at Laurelwood Brewery, exchanged his rubber boots for a contractor's tool belt. In that time, the economy has lost its fizz, and a worldwide shortage of hops and barley has made it harder for craft brewers to find the makings of good beer.

"It is a scary time," said Ettinger, whose father-in-law bought the building and property and is the major investor, "but that's why I acted as my own contractor -- I've probably saved 50 percent or more than what it would have cost." He figures the project has cost about $2 million and includes almost 9,000 square feet of commercial space next to the pub to be leased out. There's also a half-acre of land in the back zoned for future development with condos, apartments or loft space, he said.

The investment in energy efficiency should pay off, too: Ettinger expects a 15 percent savings in energy consumption.

But in Portland, the real bottom line is the beer. Ettinger and brewer Ben Love brewed the first Hopworks organic ale at a McMinnville brewery for last June's North American Organic Beer Festival. In the most sincere "welcome home" possible, the crowd drained the Hopworks keg first -- a telling mark of honor among brewers. They've been brewing in the brewery downstairs since October, have 50 wholesale customers and are brewing at double the projected pace, all before the doors open.

"We're on track to brew 1,800 barrels (about 56,000 gallons) in our first year," he said, "We planned on 1,000, but we had no idea that the beer would take off like it did. So we are having to scramble for some ingredients, but that's a good problem to have." Stay up to date with Portland's beer scene at http://blog.oregonlive.com/thebeerhere/

John Foyston: 503-294-5976; johnfoyston@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/o...510.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 11:00 PM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Brew thread
My kinda thread!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 6:52 PM

Spring Beer & Wine Fest (& Flea Market)

Visited the convention center to partake is some beer tasting and found that the beer had taken a back seat to sun glasses and lamb's wool seat covers. Here's the photo evidence.

Here are three stands that where pouring from bottles, and Pabst at a craft brew fest.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 5:47 PM

The O's beer blog did a bit about the new deschutes brewpub opening up in the pearl. Lots of pictures and by the looks of it the place will be pretty amazing...another awesome place to grab a brew in the pearl.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/thebeerhere/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 7:06 PM
Bears of antiquity

The Seattle beers are too hoppy... I miss my sweet sweet aromatic Portland beers-- until I buy some from the store.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 8:10 PM
zzzzzzzz

^ Beer can be too hoppy? Nah

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 1:59 AM

Outrage brewing over proposed 1,900% beer tax hike

Lawmakers say tax will help budget; brewers warn of lost jobs

02:02 PM PST on Monday, February 16, 2009

By ERIC ADAMS, kgw.com Staff

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Five Oregon state lawmakers want to impose a hefty tax on beer and have introduced a bill that brewers say would cripple them.

Four Portland legislators joined a Springfield senator to introduce Oregon House Bill 2461, which would impose a $49.61 tax on each barrel of beer produced by Oregon brewers.

Four Portland legislators joined a Springfield senator to introduce Oregon House Bill 2461, which would impose a $49.61 tax on each barrel of beer produced by Oregon brewers.

The bill's language defends the tax by arguing alcoholism and “untreated substance abuse” costs the state $4.15 billion in lost earnings as well as more than $8 million for health care and nearly $1 billion in law enforcement-related expenditures.

Oregon ranks 49th among states in its malt beverage taxation rate, which has not been raised in 32 years, according to HB 2461.

Brewers hopping mad over tax

Brewers say Oregon's low beverage taxation rate is what makes the state such an attractive place for crafting beers. The state’s brewery guild claims it would also amount to the single largest beer tax hike in the nation's history.

Laurelwood Public House & Brewing Co. owner Mike De Kalb said the tax may sound like a good idea in this economic climate, but he believes it would cost jobs and not raise enough new tax revenue to justify the increase.

“We’re a family-owned, local Portland business. We don’t want to see something cost taxpayers more than the revenue it would bring in,” De Kalb said.

De Kalb said Oregon would potentially lose its prominence as a craft-brew destination and that some small breweries could potentially go out of business. He said Laurelwood could possibly face job cuts as well. Prior versions of the beer tax bill have exempted small breweries but this one does not, he added.

$1.50 more, or just 15 cents?

“If that tax is passed it would mean consumers would pay $315 million more (in 2009) to buy the same amount of beer they bought in 2008," De Kalb claimed. "A pint of beer would go from $4.50 to $6.”

Rep. Ben Cannon, one of the bill's sponsors, questions whether the true hit to consumers would be as high as beer makers claim. He told KGW his office measured the increase at 15 cents per glass not $1.50.

But Kurt Widmer of Widmer brewing told KGW that in order to keep profit margins constant, he'd increase his price to distributors, who in turn would likely increase prices to retailers, making the 15 cent per class estimate unrealistic.

House Bill 2461 has been introduced by Portland Reps. Ben Cannon and Michael Dembrow, Portland Sens. Jackie Dingfelder and Diane Rosenbaum, and Springfield Sen. William Morrisette.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie...942e1.html?npc

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 2:13 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I'm not so sure on this one.

Google calculator says that 1 US Beer Barrel = 31 gallons = 248 pints, so $50/248 = 20 cents.

Umm, so apparently neither side can do math (15 cents? $1.50??). I don't get that part, but am guessing that since beer currently costs ~$50-$150/US Beer Barrel, that would cause a significant increase in the cost of the commodity. If they were to implement a beer sales tax (consumption tax) then it probably wouldn't affect the price to consumers as much.

As an avid beer drinker, I think that a tax increase half that would be fine, and most people probably wouldn't notice the increase like the proposed tax.

Any thoughts? BTW, I'm no economist.

Oh, and if anyone really likes Beer, you should make a trip out to SW: http://www.johnsmarketplace.com/Kegs/

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 2:23 AM
A before E

math or no math, they better not over tax my beer! The current cost of beer means I can still afford to go out, raise it too much and it will begin to hurt bottom lines for people and they will start staying home more and drinking there cause who wants to pay 6-8 bucks for a beer when they can buy a 12 pack for 10-15 bucks and drink at home.

I wonder if they considered that loss in revenue.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 9:45 AM

In Oklahoma a 24 pack of Bud light cost around $14. I know its not a craft brew but damn that's a big difference. Must be why there's so many pot bellies there?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 12:14 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I can buy a 6-pack of decent craft brew for about $7-8 bucks on average here in town. Bottled beer. Not the crappy stuff.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment