HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

Not very Christian like huh? Go figure.
^^^^^^^^

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 11:48 PM

Phoenix 929, yes we could debate endlessly about the validity of the bible and its true origins however facts will remain facts the bible was written by men. Trust me I always found theology very interesting and yes there is great evidence that a man named Jesus Christ existed. But any claims beyond that – having magical powers – is a demand for one to suspend science. Theology by its very nature is what puts the very subject matter in doubt and it ultimately cemented many of my view points. I think a course in secular theology should be something anyone that is going to be indoctrinated into any religion should have a chance to study. Now if you are asking that I disprove a negative which is impossible to do e.g. “I see an invisible leprechaun wearing chrome cowboy boots standing next to me. Prove to me that he is not there”, please don’t bother. Hence my demand for you to disprove a negative would be as ridiculous as the comment itself. Look to end on a light hearted note this sums it up for me in a very shallow way, in an episode of a comedy show which you may not watch a Jewish Rabbi, a Priest and a Muslim end up in hell to which they all look at each other with a ‘what happened look’. To which the devil replies “Oooh, sorry Buddha was the right answer”.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 1:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUC View Post
Phoenix 929, yes we could debate endlessly about the validity of the bible and its true origins however facts will remain facts the bible was written by men. Trust me I always found theology very interesting and yes there is great evidence that a man named Jesus Christ existed. But any claims beyond that – having magical powers – is a demand for one to suspend science. Theology by its very nature is what puts the very subject matter in doubt and it ultimately cemented many of my view points. I think a course in secular theology should be something anyone that is going to be indoctrinated into any religion should have a chance to study. Now if you are asking that I disprove a negative which is impossible to do e.g. “I see an invisible leprechaun wearing chrome cowboy boots standing next to me. Prove to me that he is not there”, please don’t bother. Hence my demand for you to disprove a negative would be as ridiculous as the comment itself. Look to end on a light hearted note this sums it up for me in a very shallow way, in an episode of a comedy show which you may not watch a Jewish Rabbi, a Priest and a Muslim end up in hell to which they all look at each other with a ‘what happened look’. To which the devil replies “Oooh, sorry Buddha was the right answer”.
"A Jewish Rabbi, a Priest and a Muslim end up in hell to which they all look at each other with a ‘what happened look’. To which the devil replies “Oooh, sorry Buddha was the right answer”.

That doesn't offend me at all. I CAN see the comedy in that because I'm as normal as they come. Surely, when someone starts rattling off Bible verses on a message board, they'll come across to most as loony, and I'm sure I'm now viewed that way by the majority here. My intent is not to shove my beliefs down anyone's throat and I'm as surprised as anyone that the topic has lead us here.

In fact, way back in my college days, not only did I take philosophy classes, but I also took world religion courses. My head is not buried in the sand. Never has been, never will be. Keep in mind that the secular theology class that you took was almost assuredly taught by a professor that outrightly rejects Christianity so his viewpoints as teacher were likely slanted. Can you be sure that you, as student, got to see another point of view?

Yes, the Bible was written by men (although we're told that all scripture is "God-breathed"... smart of them to throw that in there.) So tell me, what do you make of these authors (approximately 40 of them)? What were their intentions? Were they out to deceive generation after generation of people? How do you discredit Old Testament prophecy? More than 300 prophecies were fulfilled by Jesus Christ Himself at His first coming. How do you ignore eye-witness accounts of His life? Why were so many eye-witnesses so willing to endure persecution for their beliefs and later die torturous deaths? All for a lie? A giant hoax? These men weren't dummies (if you can't admit scripture to be inspired by God, then you must admit their writings are magnificent to have captivated so many for thousands of years).

The historical accuracy of the Scriptures is in a class by itself, far superior to the written records of Egypt, Assyria, and other early nations. Archeological confirmations of the Biblical record have been almost innumerable in the last century. And as you've stated yourself, there is great evidence that Jesus Christ existed....

Well, Jesus claimed He was the Son of God. Thus, we can't refer to him simply as a wise man. He must then be one of three things:

1) The Son of God.

2) A liar.

3) A lunatic.

I go with option #1. Option #2 would go against everything that he ever taught. Option #3 makes him highly incapable of teaching the things that he taught.

Back to science, I concede that man cannot explain the miracles Jesus is reported to have performed. We also cannot explain resurrection from the dead, obviously. So, yes, faith comes into play in a big way. However, would you not agree that if this universe was not just one giant unlikely formation that came to be, but rather had an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent creator (that has no beginning or end), could you not also reason that this God of the universe would be able to perform miraculous feats that science could not explain?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 1:32 AM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX NATIVE 929 View Post
My intent is not to shove my beliefs down anyone's throat
How does this square with your support of Prop 102?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 1:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForAteOh View Post
How does this square with your support of Prop 102?
My vote was to keep the definition of marriage as is. Hardly qualifies as shoving my beliefs down your throat. Perhaps you're trying to shove your beliefs down my throat?

If the ballot had asked about civil unions, my vote would be different.

Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:03 AM
Skyriser

929, maybe by putting yourself as a "Christian" in quotes admits what I think about you, and if you feel all offed by being called a bible thumper that's your own insecurity. I apologize for that comment, not because it would be offensive to you, but to those that actually live the example of the Christian faith rather than just say they believe it.

929, I misinterpreted your quote about "fooling" but you go on here proselytizing about your beliefs when I'm way more concerned about your ACTIONS. You live your life in sin and think all's merry with forgiveness. That's why I don't forgive you for your comments because you expect it as course for the par for being a complete jerk.

Such as it was I found it rather interesting that somebody who claims to be a Christian would make such a lowballed remark. If you think it's "classy" and not becoming of a moderator to call bullshit when I see it by using your own words that's your issue. But this isn't about me or my messy place (good one I almost forgot about that).

It became about you and your hypocrisy once you jumped on your high horse--all while you go from insulting somebody to quoting Scripture as fast as you do.

I don't need proof or faith that Jesus was the son of God to admire and still take what he said into account--he's got some really great quotes on the cross that I particularly enjoy. I don't need a Bible to tell me how to live my life because I won't have anything to apologize for when I do meet my maker. All I know that God is way, way beyond my comprehension as a mortal and I would never do something as stupid as speak so emphatically for it as others do.

I have tried to debate you on the religious issues but you just profess it as God's will and endlessly quote scripture like your interpretation is God's will and you've got it completely figured out. But you know, just this translation, which is a whole huge can of worms I'm not even going into. A lot of assholes in history have called it God's will for their justifications of a whole lot worse things than rejecting gay marriage in the last 800 years. Maybe it's slightly better in that regard, but the mentalities haven't changed one bit.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:21 AM
BANNED

"929, maybe by putting yourself as a "Christian" in quotes admits what I think about you, and if you feel all offed by being called a bible thumper that's your own insecurity. I apologize for that comment, not because it would be offensive to you, but to those that actually live the example of the Christian faith rather than just say they believe it.

929, I misinterpreted your quote about "fooling" but you go on here proselytizing about your beliefs when I'm way more concerned about your ACTIONS. You live your life in sin and think all's merry with forgiveness. That's why I don't forgive you for your comments because you expect it as course for the par for being a complete jerk."

I'm not insecure at all about being called a Bible-thumper. My concern is that it is a common term used to mock Christians and that's how you used it. Have you seen me using any terms mocking gays? No, you have not.

I continue to be puzzled/befuddled by your inuendo that I don't live according to my faith. Number one, you don't know me. Number two, isn't your entire argument based on NOT JUDGING others? Number three, I must have missed the memo that Christians never screw up. You mention again "what you think about me". Based on WHAT???

I asked you before to point out specific quotes in this thread where I was, as you put it, hateful, a bigot, etc. and you failed to do so.... Because I have not been! We happen to share separate viewpoints and so I've become your sworn enemy apparently. You've even called me a "jerk" again in this very post!!! Astonishing. And sad.

Then, you created your own argument about my talk of God's will. When did I mention this??? I don't know God's will. I don't have it all figured out. When did I say I did???

You concluded by implying I'm an asshole. Again, very nice.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:36 AM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
My vote was to keep the definition of marriage as is. Hardly qualifies as shoving my beliefs down your throat.
As I am not gay (and no longer reside in Arizona), I will agree that your vote has little affect on me. But you voted, based on your beliefs, to disallow a group of people a right that another group of people enjoy. How is that different from forcing your beliefs on someone?

Quote:
Perhaps you're trying to shove your beliefs down my throat?
How? The proposition banned something that wasn't allowed anyway. I am not asking (or shoving) you to support a law that makes gay marriage legal (though I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be legal). What belief am I shoving down your throat? I am arguing/debating a point with you, but what rights of yours have I taken away or tried to take away based on my beliefs?

Quote:
If the ballot had asked about civil unions, my vote would be different.
But based on your belief (and that of many others, I will grant you) that God has taught that us marriage is a right reserved for a man and a woman, you have disallowed a right to a group of people. If marriage can be a completely non-religious institution, as it often is, why should your religious beliefs enter into someone else's marriage? Why should spiritual people be the ones who decide this issue for everyone else based on their faith?

Quote:
Thanks.
You're welcome.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:48 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
I'm not insecure at all about being called a Bible-thumper. My concern is that it is a common term used to mock Christians and that's how you used it. Have you seen me using any terms mocking gays? No, you have not.
Congratulations.

Quote:
I continue to be puzzled/befuddled by your inuendo that I don't live according to my faith.
How many more of your posts do I have to pull up that demonstrate your dismissive, insulting, combative nature?

As I said before: "It became about you and your hypocrisy once you jumped on your high horse--all while you go from insulting somebody to quoting Scripture as fast as you do."

Quote:
Number one, you don't know me. Number two, isn't your entire argument based on NOT JUDGING others? Number three, I must have missed the memo that Christians never screw up. You mention again "what you think about me". Based on WHAT???
The fact that you would dismiss anyone as a "spineless twat" and that you call yourself a Christian. I just don't see true people of the faith acting like you do.

Quote:
I asked you before to point out specific quotes in this thread where I was, as you put it, hateful, a bigot, etc. and you failed to do so.... Because I have not been!
It started once you started equating homosexual marriage with incest, polygamy, and child rape.

Quote:
We happen to share separate viewpoints and so I've become your sworn enemy apparently.
No. I'm actually quite entertained by it all.

Quote:
Then, you created your own argument about my talk of God's will. When did I mention this??? I don't know God's will. I don't have it all figured out. When did I say I did???
"Combusean- I'm not here to be an advocate for anything or anyone. In fact, it doesn't matter what I say at all. It matters what God's word says. Don't shoot the messenger."

All while you endlessly post Bible verses and refusing ANY theological debate as to what it could possibly mean beyond what you've already decided.

Quote:
You've even called me a "jerk" again in this very post!!! Astonishing. And sad.
Quote:
You concluded by implying I'm an asshole. Again, very nice.
Cry me a river. You dish it off the cuff but jump back on your high horse once it comes back.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 3:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Congratulations.

How many more of your posts do I have to pull up that demonstrate your dismissive, insulting, combative nature?

As I said before: "It became about you and your hypocrisy once you jumped on your high horse--all while you go from insulting somebody to quoting Scripture as fast as you do."

The fact that you would dismiss anyone as a "spineless twat" and that you call yourself a Christian. I just don't see true people of the faith acting like you do.

It started once you started equating homosexual marriage with incest, polygamy, and child rape.

No. I'm actually quite entertained by it all.

"Combusean- I'm not here to be an advocate for anything or anyone. In fact, it doesn't matter what I say at all. It matters what God's word says. Don't shoot the messenger."

All while you endlessly post Bible verses and refusing ANY theological debate as to what it could possibly mean beyond what you've already decided.

Cry me a river. You dish it off the cuff but jump back on your high horse once it comes back.
Weak post on every level.... You're yet to post anything that suggests I hate gays. So please, find one to post.... I did not EQUATE gay marriage to polygamy, incest, etc. RATHER, I asked how we are to determine when other forms of marriage that others support should also become legal. Good try on the spin, though.... Again, not sure where you get the idea that "true people of faith" never insult anyone...., although I did apologize for my vulgarity.... Does quoting scripture equate to being on a high horse?... Never suggested I'm better than anyone... Glad you're entertained, but you seem more agitated than amused.... Happy to debate and in fact did so in a recent post to CANUC.... If it makes you feel better, call me any name in the book, guy. My feelings aren't hurt. I promise.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 3:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForAteOh View Post
As I am not gay (and no longer reside in Arizona), I will agree that your vote has little affect on me. But you voted, based on your beliefs, to disallow a group of people a right that another group of people enjoy. How is that different from forcing your beliefs on someone?

How? The proposition banned something that wasn't allowed anyway. I am not asking (or shoving) you to support a law that makes gay marriage legal (though I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be legal). What belief am I shoving down your throat? I am arguing/debating a point with you, but what rights of yours have I taken away or tried to take away based on my beliefs?

But based on your belief (and that of many others, I will grant you) that God has taught that us marriage is a right reserved for a man and a woman, you have disallowed a right to a group of people. If marriage can be a completely non-religious institution, as it often is, why should your religious beliefs enter into someone else's marriage? Why should spiritual people be the ones who decide this issue for everyone else based on their faith?

You're welcome.

This says it better than I can...

Same-sex marriage vs. civil rights

-By Jeff Jacoby

Homosexual marriage is not a civil rights issue. But that hasn't stopped the advocates of same-sex marriage from draping themselves in the glory of the civil rights movement — and smearing the defenders of traditional marriage as the moral equal of segregationists.

In The New York Times last Sunday, cultural critic Frank Rich, quoting a "civil rights lawyer," beatified the gay and lesbian couples lining up to receive illegal marriage licenses from San Francisco's new mayor, Gavin Newsom.

"An act as unremarkable as getting a wedding license has been transformed by the people embracing it," Rich wrote, "much as the unremarkable act of sitting at a Formica lunch counter was transformed by an act of civil disobedience at a Woolworth's in North Carolina 44 years ago this month." Nearby, the Times ran a photograph of a smiling lesbian couple in matching wedding veils — and an even larger photograph of a 1960 lunch counter sit-in.

Rich's essay — "The Joy of Gay Marriage" — went on to cast the supporters of traditional marriage as hateful zealots. They are "eager to foment the bloodiest culture war possible," he charged. "They are gladly donning the roles played by Lester Maddox and George Wallace in the civil rights era."

But it is the marriage radicals like Rich and Newsom who are doing their best to inflame a culture war. And as is so often the case in wartime, truth — in this case, historical truth — has been an early casualty.

For contrary to what Rich seems to believe, when Ezell Blair Jr., David Richmond, Joseph McNeil, and Franklin McCain approached the lunch counter of the Elm Street Woolworth's in Greensboro, N.C. on Feb. 1, 1960, all they were looking for was something to eat. The four North Carolina Agricultural & Technical College students only wanted what any white customer might want, and on precisely the same terms — the same food at the same counter at the same price.

Those first four sit-in strikers, like the thousands of others who would emulate them at lunch counters across the South, weren't demanding that Woolworth's prepare or serve their food in ways it had never been prepared or served before. They weren't trying to do something that had never been lawful in any state of the union. They weren't bent on forcing a revolutionary change upon a timeless social institution.

All they were seeking was what should already have been theirs under the law of the land. The 14th Amendment — approved by Congress and ratified by three-fourths of the states in 1868 — had declared that blacks no less than whites were entitled to equal protection of the law. The Civil Rights Act of 1875 — passed by a Democratic House and a Republican Senate and signed into law by President Grant — had barred discrimination in public accommodations.

But the Supreme Court had gutted those protections with shameful decisions in 1883 and 1896. The court's betrayal of black Americans was the reason why, more than six decades later, segregation still polluted so much of the nation. To restore the 14th Amendment to its original purpose, to re-create the Civil Rights Act, to return to black citizens the equality that had been stolen from them — that was the great cause of civil rights.

The marriage radicals, on the other hand, seek to restore nothing. They have not been deprived of the law's equal protection, nor of the right to marry — only of the right to insist that a single-sex union is a "marriage." They cloak their demands in the language of civil rights because it sounds so much better than the truth: They don't want to accept or reject marriage on the same terms that it is available to everyone else. They want it on entirely new terms. They want it to be given a meaning it has never before had, and they prefer that it be done undemocratically — by judicial fiat, for example, or by mayors flouting the law. Whatever else that may be, it isn't civil rights.

But dare to speak against it, and you are no better than Bull Connor.

Last month, as Massachusetts lawmakers prepared to debate a constitutional amendment on the meaning of marriage, the state's leading black clergy came out strongly in support of the age-old definition: the union of a man and a woman. They were promptly tarred as enemies of civil rights. "Martin Luther King," one left-wing legislator barked, "is rolling over in his grave at a statement like this."

But if anything has King spinning in his grave, it is the indecency of exploiting his name for a cause he never supported. The civil rights movement for which he lived and died was grounded in a fundamental truth: All of us are created equal. The same-sex marriage movement, by contrast, is grounded in the denial of a fundamental truth: The Creator who made us equal made us male and female. That duality has always and everywhere been the starting point for marriage. The newly fashionable claim that marriage can ignore that duality is akin to the claim, back when lunch counters were segregated, that America was a land of liberty and justice for all.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 3:37 AM
BANNED

And another...

Gay marriage isn't a civil rights issue

-Brent Castillo

A major objective for proponents of gay marriage is to frame it as a civil rights issue. To hear them talk, gays are suffering injustices similar to those suffered by African-Americans a generation ago. But gay marriage is not a civil rights issue.

In his "I Have a Dream" speech, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. summed up the core of the civil rights movement when he quoted the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

King also mentioned the "unspeakable horrors of police brutality," not being able to "gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities," and that the black American's "basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one."

Many African-Americans remember what it was like to be denied basic rights, and it's too great a leap to compare their suffering to that of homosexuals who cannot marry. That's likely a primary reason why 70 percent of blacks in California supported Proposition 8, which defined marriage between a man and a woman. Marriage amendments also passed in Florida and Arizona last week by overwhelming majorities.

Gay marriage supporters like to use the term "bigot" for those who oppose them. But King, others involved in the civil rights movement and those who have suffered discrimination understand what true bigotry is. It's when people don't treat you as a human because of your genetics, and take away your rights that are guaranteed by our laws.

Now, according to proponents of gay marriage, a bigot is often someone who believes all people are equal but all relationships are not. The bigot's main offense is often that he believes that a traditional and biologically based definition of marriage is best.

It's in our government's best interest to ensure that all of our citizens are treated fairly, but every government must also promote a society that will propagate itself. Regardless of whether heterosexual marriages fail or whether couples choose not to have children, history has proved that the marital structure of a man and a woman is the most effective way to bear and raise children. It has nothing to do with bigotry, hate or civil rights. It's a matter of biology, and it's where homosexual unions are inherently lacking.

Does that make gays less equal? No, but elevating heterosexual marriage is an acknowledgment that homosexual marriage is less beneficial to society. The notion that marriage is an unrestricted right is false, as the institution has always had limits placed upon it. Two of the most common are that you can't marry a close blood relative and you can't be married to more than one person at a time. Keeping marriage between a man and a woman is one more restriction placed upon the institution based on societal benefits.

Gay couples deserve the right to care for each other, own property together and live without being harassed. But marriage isn't a civil right that is dutifully bestowed upon any couple with strong feelings for each other. It's reserved for heterosexual couples, because the family structure built upon the male-female relationship is the foundation of our society.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 3:53 AM
Skyriser

Thanks for another example of your dismissiveness. "Weak post on every level." If my responding to you line by line is "weak" then I guess I didn't have much to begin with.

In your previous post however:

Quote:
10 reasons people think Polygamous marriage is bad...........

1) Being a Polygamist is not natural.
And real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses,polyester, and air conditioning, tattoos, piercings and silicon breasts.

2) Polygamous marriage will encourage people to be Polygamous.
In the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3) Legalizing Polygamous marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior.
People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract. Lamps are next.

4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all;
Hence why women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if Polygamous marriage were allowed;
And we can't let the sanctity of Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage be destroyed.

6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children.
So therefore, gay couples, infertile couples,and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our population isn't out of control, our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7) Obviously Polygamous parents will raise Polygamous children,
Since, of course, straight parents only raise straight children.

8) Polygamous marriage is not supported by religion.
In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America. (Did I miss the lesson where Jesus says He hates Polygamous folks?)

9) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home.
Which is exactly why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10) Polygamous marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms.
Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

Gosh but Polygamists were born with an instinctive urge to be polygamists. How dare you try to take away their right to love multiple wives! Get your ethics/morals/Bible thumping out of my face!!!
That's when you started equating them--by treating them all from the same lot.

But I never accused you specifically of being hateful tho your posts and your intolerances speak for themselves. Let me post it again:

Quote:
Gosh but Polygamists were born with an instinctive urge to be polygamists. How dare you try to take away their right to love multiple wives! Get your ethics/morals/Bible thumping out of my face!!!
Comments like that speak volumes about how castigating and disrespectful you are when you don't even know it and probably never will. Hate? Ultimately, that's for your own soul to decide, and beyond that, a power much higher than you.

But in the black or white world of the religious right I see no love there.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 4:50 AM
BANNED

Back again? Listen, first you try to pull a single post where I defended Jerry Colangelo against unfair attacks by you (and I admittedly used a word I shouldn't have) to portray me as a hypocrital Christian that's also a bigot because I believe the definition of marriage should remain what it's always been. The connection you've attempted to make there is beyond absurd.

And yes, your last post remained weak on every level. Go line by line all you want. You simply always cherry pick and spin, cherry pick and spin, and put made-up words in my mouth (i.e. knowing God's will). Repeat cycle, while adding in circular arguments.

Your "debate" (if you can call it that) on religious issues is in fact easily dismissed because it's OVERLY evident that you're trying to fake your way through Bible knowledge. Clear as day.

Onto your latest rant. You again failed to show how I've been hateful or a bigot. I substituted the word polygamous for gay in Don's post to show that his own arguments worked just as well for them.

Intolerant? Nope. Listened to everyone's views and still stand by mine. Sounds like YOU can't tolerate traditional Christian views, as evidenced time and time again by your digs at Christians, Bible-Thumpers, and the religious right.

"But in the black or white world of the religious right I see no love there."

Statements don't get much more immature than that one. I suggest you look into the bountiful contributions of these groups before you claim they have no love. Glad it entertains you, though....

Last edited by PHX NATIVE 929; Nov 19, 2008 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 4:55 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
And another...

Gay marriage isn't a civil rights issue

-Brent Castillo

A major objective for proponents of gay marriage is to frame it as a civil rights issue. To hear them talk, gays are suffering injustices similar to those suffered by African-Americans a generation ago. But gay marriage is not a civil rights issue.
Might I remind you that blacks were not allowed to marry whites in the segregational era. The same religious arguments were used. But I agree with the idea sort of. Marriage is but ONE milestone in a civil equality crusade, not a civil rights one.

Quote:
In his "I Have a Dream" speech, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. summed up the core of the civil rights movement when he quoted the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

King also mentioned the "unspeakable horrors of police brutality," not being able to "gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities," and that the black American's "basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one."

Many African-Americans remember what it was like to be denied basic rights, and it's too great a leap to compare their suffering to that of homosexuals who cannot marry. That's likely a primary reason why 70 percent of blacks in California supported Proposition 8, which defined marriage between a man and a woman. Marriage amendments also passed in Florida and Arizona last week by overwhelming majorities.

Gay marriage supporters like to use the term "bigot" for those who oppose them. But King, others involved in the civil rights movement and those who have suffered discrimination understand what true bigotry is. It's when people don't treat you as a human because of your genetics, and take away your rights that are guaranteed by our laws.
I'm guessing this guy's not black. Tho I'm sure stereotyping what a wide spectrum of society thought about before voting is fair game in whatever rag you got this from, I'm not going to speak for why or why not African Americans didn't make any connection.

But again, I find myself curiously agreeing with the article: "It's when people don't treat you as a human because of your genetics."

Has this guy completely been in the dark?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...BT_hate_crimes

"Or take away your rights that are guaranteed by our laws"

What is to happen of the gays that were legally married in California before the passage of Proposition 8?

Quote:
Now, according to proponents of gay marriage, a bigot is often someone who believes all people are equal but all relationships are not. The bigot's main offense is often that he believes that a traditional and biologically based definition of marriage is best.
And if you want a biological definition of marriage, I point you to polygamy. So I find the biological argument curious here in a religious context. Spread the seed, make babies, which is what we're biologically intended to do. Hard to do that when Mom 1's tied up 9 months at a time.

Ironically, one theory behind homosexuality is that nature realizes our own overpopulation and carrying capacity. It's why as populations of a species dwindle, their incidences of homosexuality decrease and vice versa.

Quote:
It's in our government's best interest to ensure that all of our citizens are treated fairly, but every government must also promote a society that will propagate itself.
Where is "propagation" in the Constitution?

Quote:
Regardless of whether heterosexual marriages fail or whether couples choose not to have children, history has proved that the marital structure of a man and a woman is the most effective way to bear and raise children. It has nothing to do with bigotry, hate or civil rights. It's a matter of biology, and it's where homosexual unions are inherently lacking.
So let's make it illegal for a single mom to raise a kid, because "history has proven that the marital structure..." ... which it hasn't by the way. Love is. Trust me. My mom "stayed together for the kids" as I've oft heard before. It doesn't work.

Quote:
Does that make gays less equal? No, but elevating heterosexual marriage is an acknowledgment that homosexual marriage is less beneficial to society. The notion that marriage is an unrestricted right is false, as the institution has always had limits placed upon it. Two of the most common are that you can't marry a close blood relative and you can't be married to more than one person at a time. Keeping marriage between a man and a woman is one more restriction placed upon the institution based on societal benefits.
Here we go again with the incest and polygamy argument. The incest taboo is a cultural universal, and for good measure. Incest is genetically destructive and never favored for species preservation. Homosexual intercourse is a genetic dead-end occasionally favored for the same reason. But I fail to see how normalizing a minority's status within the eyes of the law and the church would do anything but improve society.

Quote:
Gay couples deserve the right to care for each other, own property together and live without being harassed. But marriage isn't a civil right that is dutifully bestowed upon any couple with strong feelings for each other. It's reserved for heterosexual couples, because the family structure built upon the male-female relationship is the foundation of our society.
This comes to the foundation of it all. The argument put forth here is that the State has determined that a certain class of individuals is incapable and thus banned from subscribing to the privileges and expectations of a right that is guaranteed to others. The very notion defines segregation.

The equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment is clear. "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Prop 102 did that. The mob rule of the initiative is not due process, and the iniative itself restricts the privileges of citizens.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 5:09 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Back again? Listen, first you try to pull a single post where I defended Jerry Colangelo against unfair attacks by you (and I admittedly used a word I shouldn't have) to portray me as a hypocrital Christian that's also a bigot because I believe the definition of marriage should remain what it's always been. The connection you've attempted to make there is beyond absurd.
No. Just lately, on top of everything else, you've called me immature, "classy" and you even mentioned the condition of my room like that was supposed to make me feel bad or something. Your endless personal attacks and hostility are unbecoming of a Christian. It makes you a hypocrite because you practically quote the Bible doing it.

Quote:
And yes, your last post remained weak on every level. Go line by line all you want. You simply cherry pick and spin, cherry pick and spin. Repeat cycle, while adding in circular arguments.
I respond. You dismiss.

Quote:
Your "debate" (if you can call it that) on religious issues is in fact easily dismissed because it's OVERLY evident that you're trying to fake your way through Bible knowledge. Clear as day.
"Faking my way through Bible knowledge?" Who are you to discount what I've taken from the Bible?

Quote:
Onto your latest rant. You again failed to show how I've been hateful or a bigot.
I'm sorry you don't see it. I really am. I posted it twice for you.

Quote:
I substituted the word polygamous for gay in Don's post to show that his own arguments worked just as well for them.
And you think that's a fine valid argument.

Quote:
Intolerant? Nope. Listened to everyone's views and still stand by mine. Sounds like YOU can't tolerate traditional Christian views, as evidenced time and time again by your digs at Christians, Bible-Thumpers, and the religious right.
Heh. Look at you go off whenever somebody mentions the "religous right" in anything but favorable terms. How do you think the Obama voters on this board feel whenever you prattle on?

Quote:

Statements don't get much more immature than that one. I suggest you look into the bountiful contributions of these groups ...
Wasn't talking about those groups. I was talking about YOU and how YOU come off.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 5:09 AM
BANNED

"Here we go again with the incest and polygamy argument. The incest taboo is a cultural universal, and for good measure. Incest is genetically destructive and never favored for species preservation."

Really?... http://www.newscientist.com/article/...necessary.html

Did you read it? So... if the health risk is not substantially greater, should it be deemed OK? Was that the only sticking point? Are we violating the civil rights of cousins that want to marry? Are we being "closed-minded"?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 5:23 AM
BANNED

"No. You've called me immature, "classy" and you even mentioned the condition of my room like that was supposed to make me feel bad or something. Your endless personal attacks and hostility are unbecoming of a Christian. It makes you a hypocrite because you practically quote the Bible doing it."

Spin as always.... Said it was an immature statement, indeed called you classy with much deserved sarcasm, and took a light-hearted jab at the pig-sty that was your room, as evidenced by pictures you've posted here.... But if this is your classification of personal attacks (rather than "hateful", "bigot", "poor advocate for Christianity", "jerk", "asshole", etc, etc, then I gues we just have different definitions of personal attacks (like we do marriage!))

I respond. You dismiss.

Hard to respond to non-sense.

Who are you to discount what I've taken from the Bible?

Answer for yourself whether you've studied the Bible In-depth.

Heh. Look at you go off whenever somebody mentions the "religous right" in anything but favorable terms. How do you think the Obama voters on this board feel whenever you prattle on?

Heh. Look at you go off whenever somebody mentions gay marriage in anything but favorable terms. I'm sorry you don't see your hate for Christians. It's clear as day. How do you think (the few) Right-Wingers on this board feel when you prattle Left-Wing jibberish?

followed by

"Wasn't talking about those groups. I was talking about YOU"

And you wonder why arguing with you is a lost cause

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 5:53 AM
Skyriser

I didn't get really noisy on this issue till you came along.

And I don't think most of the religious right really are Christians, so I don't see how anything I'm saying is offensive to Christians by calling you out.

Your rant on polygamy was particularly offensive, tho I'm sorry if I confused you and everyone else that uses your arguments lock stock and barrel in a bad edit.

And you can continue to cherrypick and dismiss and disrespect but when I respond to your arugment line by line it's "spin." Good one. Do you really use those words in conversation or do you only hear FOX News all day? Did I ever completely write off any of your arguments as "nonsense?"

Oh, and don't call me left wing--again with the pigeonholing, I might add. I switched Republican from Libertarian to vote for Paul in the primary and still am.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 6:13 AM
BANNED

"Do you really use those words in conversation or do you only hear FOX News all day?"

Ah yes, the predictable Fox News blast. Amazing everytime. Are Left-Wingers (NOT YOU OF COURSE- YOU'RE A LIBERTARIAN) really upset that they don't have a complete monopoly on television? Of course, Fox News is biased to the right. Now tell me, which direction is CNN slanted? MSNBC? CBS? ABC? MTV? Comedy Central? Any other of the 168 channels on the dial? Shaking head in disbelief....

I didn't get noisy on the issue either until certain voters were painted as neanderthals (or much worse, by you).

You think I'm wrong. I think you're wrong. Agree to disagree.

Last edited by PHX NATIVE 929; Nov 19, 2008 at 6:43 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest