HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 8:41 AM

That is quite fantastic. I produce my contributions in this forum with a paltry 6 megapixel camera. I'm looking at purchasing a first gen 5D, thinking that the jump to 12 MP would be a great leap forward for me. Still, that doesn't hold a candle to the 21 MP 5D mk 2.

I've produced a few panoramics, but my high number is around 60 or 70 images. The large, featureless areas are always the most challenging to deal with. Regardless, it takes a lot of work to assemble one of these, so thanks for the effort. I think this image really raises the bar, so my hats off to you.

Last edited by philopdx; Feb 14, 2009 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 5:07 PM

Thank you for the complements

Philo, thank you for the complement. It means a lot coming from you. I have really enjoyed your photographs.

If you do buy a new camera, megapixels is not everything (pixel density & other ). Look at the reviews on dpreview.com. This is especially important if you are looking at the Canon 40D / 50D ( or Nikon D700. The Canon 40D is 10MP but yields better images with greater dynamic range due to Canon trying to squeeze too many pixels into roughly the same size sensor on the 50D). The Nikon full frame D700 is 12MP with a full frame sensor and produces excellent photos. The Canon 5D mark II sensor is about the same size as its predecessor the 5D, but yields excellent images. It rcvd its 21MP sensor from its bigger brother the Canon 1Ds Mark III. With these newer sensors the importance of the lens becomes even more important.

If you want to be able to manually stitch these types of panoramas, you might try downloading the trial version of ptgui. If you use the image parameters tab you are able to move individual images around using yaw, pitch, and roll or your mouse. It is easier to set control points with this as well compared to other software packages.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castillonis View Post
I took this 233 photo panoramic with a Canon 5D mark II and a Canon 600mm f4/L lens.
That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while, just simply amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 10:10 AM

140 photo panorama, includes 1st & Main bldg

This 140 photograph panorama of the Willamete river waterfront has some problems. I took about 140 photographs using an Epic Gigapan robot and a Canon G9 camera using a 2x teleconverter for an 35mm equivalent focal length of about 400mm. I am able to achieve a higher quality print or smaller photo with less photographs. I have been experimenting with what is possible. The vibration from the I-5 highway doesn't help NOTE: I added a link to the second panorama taken from the south of the Hawthorne bridge below.

This panoramic did not stitch as well. I am uploading another that was taken south of the hawthorne bridge.
1. Use the mouse scroll wheel to easily zoom in and out. (Safari may not work)
2. Move around by dragging the image by left clicking and holding while you drag the mouse.

From North of Hawthorne Bridge looking West
http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapanFu...n.php?id=17218

From South of Hawthorne Bridge looking West
http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapanFu...n.php?id=17237

800 x 441

1200 x662
http://www.stoneyphoto.com/forum/eas...201200X662.jpg

Last edited by Castillonis; Feb 16, 2009 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 4:32 AM

139 photo pano of Waterfront Pearl

139 photo panoramic of the waterfront Pearl.

1. Go full screen by clicking on the button on the right
2. Zoom in and out using the mouse scroll wheel
3. Left click and drag to move around
http://www.stoneyphoto.com/examples/...r-defaults.htm

Last edited by Castillonis; Feb 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 5:34 AM

I like the fact they resemble one another, architecturally speaking, but are not identical structures.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 7:58 AM

360 degree panoramas

I photographed and prepared these 360 degree panoramics.

Hotel Modera Lobby 360 panorama
http://www.360cities.net/image/moder...and-oregon-usa

Gerding Theater at the Armory Mezzanine 360 panorama
http://www.360cities.net/image/gerdi...ortland-oregon

Gerding Theater at the Armory Main Stage 360 panorama
http://www.360cities.net/image/gerdi...and-oregon-usa

Re-post of Waterfront Pearl 360 panorama
http://www.360cities.net/image/waterfront-perl-district

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 7:02 AM

Re shoot of Portland City at Night from the West Hills

I re photographed the Panorama of the Portland city skyline at night from the west hills. This time the color is much better. It was 160 photos with a 300mm lens and a Canon Xsi because if fits on my robot with an electronic trigger as opposed to my Canon 40D or a Canon 5D mark II.

Normal with snapshots that you can click on to zoom to that spot
http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=18055

Full screen
http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapanFu...n.php?id=18055

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 10:39 PM
momentum

those are super cool - do you do this professionally? it could be a good tool especially if you could shoot them at different elevations, then you could use them for potential views for new buildings.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 12:11 AM
Bears of antiquity

You can buy a GigaPan Epic for about $400 and do roughly the same thing, although I think they do have limitations on which digicams it works with (probably due to the dimensions of the camera).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 7:54 AM

Shot with engineering prototype Epic 100

Actually I shot this with an engineering prototype Epic 100 that has a 15:1 gear ratio for the pitch stepper motor and an added clearance of 33.5 mm. I triggered it electronically which is a new feature in this imager. It will probably be ready mid March if nothing goes wrong I shot the Pearl district panorama by hand with a Canon 40D. The original shoot of the City nightscape was done with a Canon 5D mark II. This re-shoot was done with a lower end Canon Xsi DSLR which is smaller and lighter but still has an APS-C sized partial frame sensor. I shot with a 300mm lens this time because it has a much better depth of field at f/11 for the distances involved.

I would like to shoot with a Canon 5D mark II again, but it is expensive. I am going to wait until I purchase one for my own use.

I used to shoot semi-professionally, but this type of market has totally dried up. Only the portrait business is still workable for me.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 7:34 AM

Portland from the West Hills at Night ( Long exposure )

I took this with a Canon G9 using the CHDK firmware to allow for longer a longer exposure of 32 seconds at ISO 80. I also applied dark field subtraction to lower the thermal noise for long exposures.

http://www.stoneyphoto.com/examples/...ng_krpano.html

Gigapan
http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapanFu...n.php?id=18887

Last edited by Castillonis; Mar 17, 2009 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 4:22 PM

Very cool! Tks!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 7:09 PM

I love how you can pick up a very faint outline of Mt. Hood in the distance.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 8:29 PM
zzzzzzzz

Can you see your house from here?

Here’s a pano I created from photos taken in February from Pittock Mansion. The original had 91 pics stitched together, which included South Waterfront (visible behind a hill), but I guess I didn’t do a good enough job of keeping the camera straight (even though I used a tripod) because the top border of the pano was a lot lower on the far right, and in order to include the images to the far right, I would have had to cut off Mt. Hood when I cropped it… Anyway, this one probably consists of about 60-70 pics. It doesn’t have the clarity and detail of some of the panos Castillonis has posted, and the colors in the hills and sky didn’t blend too well, but…

You can click on the image for a full-size version which is kind of fun to scroll around (it’s about 10MB, so it could take a while to load). You can see the interchange between I-84 and I-205 (Gateway area), the Mt. Tabor reservoir, the “Go By Train” at Union Station, boarded-up windows at Washington HS on SE Stark, etc. And if you’re scrolling around checking out the houses and buildings and stuff at full-size, it’s kind of cool to scroll up and see how big Mt. Hood is in comparison.

The full-size “original” on flickr is just the biggest I could upload (10MB). It’s about half the size of the true original and compressed a couple times - the original was over 60MB (dimensions were about 24000 x 5500 pixels).

There are a few other panos on my flickr page (see the flickr link on the last line of my signature, the panos are in the “Panoramic” set if you want to check them out), but I think this is the best one. Hope you enjoy…

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 10:06 PM

Nice.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 12:51 AM

Thats cool...my place is behind one of those hills...It's amazing...seem like there are so many more trees when you zoom in on your pano then it feels like there are on the ground.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 1:50 AM
shozbot!

Great pic, thanks. I could look at panos of Portland for hours.....that's one beautliful city to be sure!
I keep thinking of how awesome PAW will look in that shot, down the road, and how the skyline just keeps improving over the years.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 7:11 PM

Great pano Sekkle :)

Great pano Sekkle : ) As you use more photos it becomes much more difficult and time consuming.

Here is a HDR panoramic of a ship and the steel bridge. I had recorded some sound, but I did not capture what I wanted, so I will need to return to get the sound.
Explorable version of the panorama (Use mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out. Click and drag to move around)
http://www.stoneyphoto.com/examples/...nhanceLDR.html

Smaller version where you can see the entire panorama

Last edited by Castillonis; Mar 29, 2009 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 9:10 PM

Thanks Castillonis, I always appreciate these.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos