HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 7:01 AM

Has anyone seen this? The press release is old but I think the website is new: http://newoldtownpdx.com/

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Reality: whenever a project is determined to be funded - some other project is dumped.
I think that is part of this guy's problem. He doesn't understand the dynamic of real estate.

Development often happens in droves. He only needs to look to the Pearl District to see that. Developers and their bankers are rarely ahead of the curve. They are pack animals and make safe bets. Old town has it's issues but it is so much more promising and has much more development and public acceptance than similar areas in other cities. I bet in 25 years old town will be amongst the most sought after real estate in the city. It has a great location and a potentially great vibe.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 6:12 PM

^Not only that but the Oregon College of Oriental Medicine is moving to the area which will bring a significant Asian presence to the area.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 6:07 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

It was only maybe what - 10 years ago? - that we started to see some of the asian presence head out east for 82nd... before I moved to pdx, but not that long ago.

Vancouver BC has been seeing the same sort of phenomenon, actually, even though 1/3 of the city is Chinese (actual statistic).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 8:15 AM

As a native Portlander who has since moved to the Bay Area, I have to say that I am very very excited to see this. So many things are happening in Portland, you guys should be really proud. This project has a lot of potential to create a community anchor and center, and Uwajimaya is a great choice as they've had prior successes in Seattle's International District (similar urban setting). It would be great if they could incorporate a lot of the features from their flagship store (such as the eateries-- Samurai Noodle, etc.; and as already mentioned, Kinokuniya books). Just bringing in the added traffic and interest will do wonders for this neighborhood.

Exciting times, will be watching this one closely.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 8:11 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I just wonder if the Portland Metro area can support 2 of them.

I know a lot of people drive up all the way from Eugene and Corvallis to go to the one in Beaverton. Thoughts?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 6:39 PM

Some random pic. taken 3/18.

U of O

Mercy corps new digs

Saturday market (some day)

Smith Block 3\4 renovation

Darcelle Xv

Warehouse to office space

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 10:43 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ Wow, every building but the seawall are construction projects.

Except Oldtown will even get a new dock in a year or two... so much change! And respectful of the historic character, too.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 10:49 PM

Wow I love that first pic

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 6:05 PM

farewell old friend

I know It's sappy but I have loved this mural since I was a wee boy and it looks as if it's days are numbered. That's progress.

I would have taken a better pic as a memento, but I didn't want to wake any one sleeping on the stairs going up from the MAX stop.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 3:31 PM

I was thinking that too the other day. Sad...oh well!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 4:21 PM

University of Oregon ready to open new Portland campus
The three buildings will enhance the school's visibility in the city
Saturday, March 29, 2008
BILL GRAVES
The Oregonian

The University of Oregon has had a presence in Portland since 1884, but the Eugene-based school is about to magnify its visibility in a renovated green and historic home that will open its doors to students Monday.

UO is consolidating and expanding its Portland operations in a complex of three historic buildings on Couch Street in Northwest Portland's Old Town and Chinatown near Saturday Market and the Burnside Bridge.

The $37 million renovation has connected the gothic Bickel building, designed in 1883, with the 1889 Skidmore building, both distinct for cast-iron features such as building fronts, columns and window shutters. They are joined to the more industrial White Stag building, designed in 1907 and well-known for the neon Made in Oregon sign on its roof.

UO is leasing 103,000 square feet of classroom, office and event space -- double what it has had in Southwest Portland's Willamette Building and other offices scattered around town.

The building should accommodate expansions in the university's education programs for 20 years, said Terri L. Warpinski, the vice provost for academic affairs who oversees the university's off-campus education programs.

"We like its symbolism," Warpinski said of the new building. "We love the visibility."

Renovators made the buildings open and airy, exploiting natural light with windows and glass ceilings. They also used environmentally friendly materials and designed features to save water and energy.

By fall, the buildings will serve more than 100 staff members, about 150 full-time students and another 150 involved in various continuing education programs. The complex also will include space for labs and studios, exhibits, lectures, a bookstore, a library, the UO Duck Store, a coffee shop and events for up to 200 people.

About a dozen students seeking master's degrees in strategic communication through UO's journalism school will move in first. They start Monday, though they actually had a chance one night a week ago to spread out on the spacious floor devoted to journalism, said Sara Wurfel, a student and a communications director for AARP.

The new building offers a dramatic increase in space, with both an intimate seminar room and larger spaces for presentations, guest speakers and projects, Wurfel said.

The building is "visionary" and "very Portland," she said.

Joshua Collins, a student and communications manager for TriMet, said the new building gives him a sense of place.

"This feels like a campus building," he said. "We have resources and areas where we can congregate and do work outside of class."

But why is a state university based in Eugene setting up shop in Portland, which already has Portland State University?

The university won't be offering freshman English classes in Portland, but it makes sense for it to offer some studies, such as architecture, journalism, business and continuing education for lawyers, in the state's largest city, Warpinski said.

The university also has offices in Portland to raise money, support alumni, run a study abroad program and conduct other business.

The Portland Business Alliance and businesses in the Chinatown neighborhood say the university's new home will support other development, including Saturday Market improvements and renovations to make space for Mercy Corps.

The new developments will "have an impact on downtown and probably encourage more businesses to open up down there," said Megan Doern, spokeswoman for the business alliance.

Gloria Lee, executive director of the Portland Classical Chinese Garden, said she's glad to see the university move into the neighborhood and hopes it spurs more development, including affordable housing.

UO has "done exactly what Old Town Chinatown would want, and that is to retain our historic character," she said. "I so look forward to having support in this neighborhood."

Bill Graves: 503-221-8549; billgraves@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/education/...670.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 11:15 PM

I was in the building/s yesterday. The renovation is awesome.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 5:38 PM

This part of the Beam/Naito project, right?

College moves graduate school to Chinatown

POSTED: 06:00 AM PDT Tuesday, April 1, 2008
BY DJC STAFF

Following in the footsteps of the University of Oregon, the Oregon College of Oriental Medicine plans to house portions of its campus in Portland’s Old Town/Chinatown area.

The college, which offers advanced degrees in traditional Oriental medicine such as acupuncture, will move its graduate school and intern clinic into the Globe Hotel on Northwest First Avenue and Davis Street. The new space will bring 275 students to the area and is anticipated to bring 105 jobs to the building.

OCOM’s main campus is located at 10525 S.E. Cherry Blossom Drive, in Portland.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 4:23 AM

Building's Packy mural tumbles with the times
Renovation - Mercy Corps' headquarters will incorporate the elephant's image
Friday, April 04, 2008
WADE NKRUMAH
The Oregonian

Portland's much-loved elephant no longer graces the north wall of a historic building in Old Town/Chinatown.

And the removal of Packy's mural is something that no one associated with the decision seemed eager to discuss.

The top part of the mural was removed Thursday during demolition of the top floor of Skidmore Fountain Building by the west side of Burnside Bridge. The mural was painted in 1990 by North Pacific Sign & Design.

The Skidmore building is undergoing a renovation of about $25 million as it becomes the new headquarters for Mercy Corps, one of the world's top 10 relief and development organizations.

An initial call to a Walsh Construction contact was referred to Don Geddes, Walsh's senior project manager for Skidmore building renovation. He passed the matter to Mercy Corps' Kathy Cooke, who forwarded it to Susan Laarman, a spokeswoman for Mercy Corps.

"We understand that it is an important part of the neighborhood's history," Laarman said Thursday of the mural. She said Mercy Corps consulted the mural's artist and officials with the neighborhood association, Oregon Zoo and Regional Arts & Culture Council.

Laarman said the top floor is being removed because it is not an original part of the historic, mostly brick building. The floor, which had a stucco exterior, was added a couple of decades ago, she said.

"We're renovating the Skidmore Fountain Building to its historic condition," Laarman said.

"That means that the mural begins to come down. And then additionally, we have to restore the condition of the brick, which is crumbling and disintegrating and eventually would become unstable."

She said the wall on which the mural resides also will have windows for offices.

"Historically, a lot of it had been warehouse space and didn't need windows, but we're going to utilize all the square footage for our offices."

Laarman said space in the ground floor of the building will "pay tribute to the mural."

"We have documents of the mural in its condition since we've taken ownership of the building, and we've talked to the zoo, which has some of the original photographs."

When Packy was born at the Oregon Zoo on April 14, 1962, he became the first elephant born in the Western Hemisphere in 44 years. His birth was international news and was seen as a huge event in the field of elephant reproductive research.

Laarman said the renovation project is scheduled for completion in late summer or early fall 2009. She said the Portland Development Commission last summer "granted" the building to Mercy Corps in return for the organization's investment in the building.

Wade Nkrumah: 503-294-7627; wadenkrumah@ news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...500.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 4:57 AM
zzzzzzzz

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 3:46 AM

COURTESY OF OFFICE OF COMMISSIONER RANDY LEONARD
A public restroom designed by the Portland Water Bureau may debut at Northwest Glisan Street between Fifth and Sixth avenues later this year.

Toilet design’s a fresh idea
City’s water bureau comes up with prototype offering cheap, crime-free flushes
By Jim Redden
The Portland Tribune, Apr 11, 2008

Over the years, Randy Leonard has worked as a Portland firefighter, a state legislator and, now, as a city commissioner.

But he probably will be remembered as the King of Toilets.

“I know that’s how I’m likely to go down in history, but there’s nothing I can do it about it now,” he said.

Leonard believes he will be forever linked with toilets because he has taken on the task of designing and installing new public restrooms in Portland. Although the need for new restrooms has long been known – especially in the Old Town area where many of the city’s homeless people live – no council member made it a priority until Leonard stepped forward last year.

“The older I get, the more this issue means to me,” he joked.

At Leonard’s request, the council assigned the task to the Portland Water Bureau, which he oversees. After receiving $250,000 to develop a prototype restroom, the bureau came up with a design for a cylinder that houses a single toilet, with the sink mounted on the outside so users do not linger inside.

The unconventional design also features louvered openings at the base to allow police to see how many people are in the restroom.

“The louvers allow the police to look in, but not up,” Leonard said.

According to Leonard, the design is so unique that the city is looking at securing a patent for it.

“I believe this design will work so well, other cities will want to use it,” Leonard said. “There’s no reason that Portland shouldn’t make some money off it.”

Leonard hopes the design can be built and installed for around $10,000, far less than the $270,000 or more that traditional public restrooms cost. He wants the first one in place along Northwest Glisan Street between Fifth and Sixth avenues later this year.

“Once people see how well this works, I think we’ll have requests to install it in other parts of town,” he said.

Leonard expects the water bureau to issue a Request for Proposal to begin building the toilets in the near future. He plans to ask the council for an additional $250,000 in next year’s bureau budget to fund the work.

“I hope to build as many as $500,000 will buy,” he said.
New park may go without

The city has been urged to build more public restrooms by a group of Old Town business owners and other who have banded together under the name PHLUSH, which stands for Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human.

More than two years ago, the group began lobbying the council to address the problems created by people using the streets for toilets. The Clean and Safe program operated by the Portland Business Alliance receives thousands of calls for human waste removal every year.

One person who would appreciate the project’s success is Ken Love, chairman of the South Portland Neighborhood Association that includes the neighborhood being built in the South Waterfront area.

Love serves on the advisory committee helping design the first public park in the area. It will be located on a two-block area bounded by Southwest Curry and Gaines streets and Moody and Bond avenues. Love said the design is going well, but he is bothered that Portland Parks & Recreation says there is not enough money to include a public restroom.

“I think a restroom is an absolute necessity,” Love said.

Although the bureau used to build free-standing restrooms at virtually all parks, the construction rate slowed over the years because of escalating costs and crime concerns.

One of the easiest park restrooms to maintain was built at the south end of the RiverPlace development along the west bank of the Willamette River, said Sandra Burtzos, the bureau project manager for the South Waterfront park.

According to Burtzos, the restroom is relatively well-supervised because it was constructed across the street from a parking garage that employs attendants who help watch it. The restroom, which includes three toilets, was built in 1999 for around $300,000, she said.

Today, even the smallest stand-alone restroom would cost at least $270,000 – significantly cutting into the $2.8 million construction budget for the planned park.

During several open houses held to help design the park, area residents and other members of the public have indicated they want other amenities built first, Burtzos said, including open spaces, play areas, storm-water treatment facilities and a central plaza.

“I know it seems like a restroom would fit into the budget, but not when you consider everything else the public ranks higher,” she said.

Because of that, Burtzos said parks officials are very interested to see the prototype toilet that Leonard and the water bureau are developing.

“If that works, it could solve the problem,” she said.
Durability, simplicity prized

As Leonard sees it, many, if not most people, need to rethink the concept of public restrooms to solve the problems created by the lack of them.

“People are used to thinking of public restrooms as Taj Mahals,” said Leonard, referring to the traditional free-standing building with multiple stalls and sinks that used to be built in parks and other public settings. “But those are too expensive and hard to maintain. What we need is something simple and easy to repair and keep clean.”

The fundamental concept for the prototype was developed by Curtis Banger, a designer who previously has volunteered with the nonprofit group Architects Without Borders. He had lived in downtown Seattle, where he saw the problems created by the public restrooms there, which provide complete privacy.

“Privacy creates the opportunity for misuse,” said Banger, explaining that the louvered openings represent a compromise between complete privacy and the ability to prevent criminal and antisocial behavior.

Beyond that, Banger and Leonard say that the toilet is designed to be as durable as possible. It will be built primarily of steel and concrete. The components are modular, meaning if anything is broken, it can be easily replaced. And each one is equipped with a hose fitting so that the inside can simply be sprayed out into the gutter, if it becomes too dirty.

“In the worst case, if a car drove over it, we could just pull it out and replace it with a new one,” Leonard said.

As Leonard sees it, the city has a responsibility to solve the restroom shortage issue.

“We offer people free water downtown. If we give them an opportunity to take it in, we need to give them a place to let it out,” he said.

To learn more about the project and voice your opinion on the prototype design and first potential location, visit Leonard’s Web site at portland online.com/leonard.

jimredden@portlandtribune.com
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...86171941159000

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 5:51 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I saw the ones they have in Seattle - very similar, or same design, as the ones in Berlin. I think the ones in Berlin cost money, tho.

I liked the ones in Amsterdam... ok, maybe not. They offered almost zero privacy... and smelled really bad!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 4:54 PM

what lies beneath?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 6:38 PM

new windows

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland