Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut
I'd argue that a successful-enough business could weather anything life throws at it. You think Phnom Penh would be killed by a little construction? Heck no.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut
Some such businesses are more affected by the construction than others are, and it doesn't seem to be based on proximity. One could easily conclude that certain ones were already struggling even pre-pandemic, and recent events merely finished them off.
|
You missed the point. It isn't
just construction that is affecting these businesses, it's been the last 3 years of the pandemic PLUS construction. The construction on Broadway is very well a nail in the coffin for a lot of these businesses.
I'm not suggesting that we stop the Broadway extension, but I do think that these businesses deserve support in light of the last 3 years that we were told would be 2 weeks. Besides if we can throw money at drug addicts, we can support local small businesses.
To be honest, I haven't looked through the proposal with a fine-tooth comb but I imagine that a business would have to meet criteria before securing assistance from the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe
I am not suggesting that I want businesses to close. However, let's be honest, these are mostly minimum wage jobs that would disappear. Covid has caused a lot of them to go under because they relied on slave wages and no hiccups. I am also not against helping them either.
|
I'm not sure what kind of a point you were hoping to make here since it still comes across that you do thumb your nose, so to speak, at small businesses losing their livelihoods.
It isn't just a smattering of minimum wage jobs being lost, it is:
- The business owner(s) losing their job. Surely that isn't minimum wage.
- Loss of job opportunities for youth. Think high school age.
- Loss of job opportunities for lower economic classes. These are stepping stone jobs, and some can be supervisory roles that lead to careers. Furthermore the elimination of these types of jobs is a form of classism.
- Loss of business to accountants, suppliers, and other support services.
- Loss of tax revenue from businesses.
- Loss of rental income for commercial businesses... which leads to abandoned stores and affecting building management companies.
Furthermore this then leads to a change in a neighbourhood as a bunch of these small businesses close down. There is also a correlation to increased crime as abandoned storefronts are typically perceived as being unsafe... which then affects property values as these small businesses have to leave without being replaced.
Just because it isn't Amazon that is packing up and leaving, doesn't mean that there isn't a cascade of consequences that occurs on a smaller level when Small Businesses have to pack up shop. And if you think the rents are going to lower when they leave, then think again.
IMO, the COV has been very 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 at encouraging and enticing small businesses to pop up, especially in newer developments; where they command the best locations and outprice rental rates beyond what a typical small business can afford when they are just starting out leading to chains securing the space. The current business landscape of the Metro region makes brick & mortar businesses seem impossible in this day and age... but I digress.